PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

thatguymark
02-10-2016, 04:27 PM
I've found that "the way out is through," the title, has applied to so many life situations for me than any actual lyric Trent has penned. Love that title.

It is a great title, and a great mantra, but it was also borrowed from Robert Frost. From "A Servant To Servants":

Len says one steady pull more ought to do it.

He says the best way out is always through.

And I agree to that, or in so far

As that I can see no way out but through—

Leastways for me—and then they’ll be convinced.

The whole poem's a pretty good read.

EDIT: I didn't read far back enough in the thread to realize this poem had already been discussed. Whoops!

piggy
02-10-2016, 10:11 PM
Last and Hurt for seeing more and more just how things and people seem to eventually just go away. (Aside from death, which is also a given.) I guess it's just me, but it was a lot more different after seeing what happens after people my age and younger graduate college, get a career, get married and have children as lots of them even ended up moving to other states and countries, if not towns and cities. Separation, isolation and loss was a lot more inevitable than I thought, along with helping me realize just how finite time spent together can really be even if they are or were super close pals at some points in time. I knew it wasn't going to last forever, it's just more of a matter realizing just how it all really does end a lot sooner than I thought, and just how easily divided and terminated groups can get over even very short periods of time. It also occurred to me just how befitting it was for Trent Reznor to have put out those songs in his late 20s. As a teenager, I just didn't get it the way I do now, nor did it click with me the same exact way at all.
I can relate to this idea a lot, because by age 30 I had lost my dad and I thought I had also lost my entire original core group of friends and once I came to that realization, I was pretty devastated. In retrospect, those songs absolutely voice the feelings of isolation and frustration associated with losing meaningful old relationships.

P.S. Not to get too off topic here, but I want you to know that there's a good chance you'll reconnect with old friends at some point. I'm 35 now and I've gotten a bunch of them back in my life. Stay positive.

xcore
02-11-2016, 03:28 AM
facepalm myself

Deepvoid
02-11-2016, 06:32 AM
9 years ago today NIN launched Performance 2007 tour in Lisbon. Last was played for the first time ever.
10 years ago today With Teeth winter arena tour started. First performances of Mr Self Destruct and Please since eons ago.

Oh yeah. I remember buying a ticket for me and my buddy for the Quebec City show.
The previous two shows were cancelled due to Trent being sick. I was hoping for two things. First off, please don't cancel this show too and secondly, please open with Mr. Self-Destruct.
I got both wishes granted. Was pretty lucky since the following show was cancelled too.

botley
02-11-2016, 09:01 AM
I had tickets for the cancelled Ottawa show! Thankfully the summer Toronto gig made up for it.

Halo Infinity
02-11-2016, 10:01 AM
I can relate to this idea a lot, because by age 30 I had lost my dad and I thought I had also lost my entire original core group of friends and once I came to that realization, I was pretty devastated. In retrospect, those songs absolutely voice the feelings of isolation and frustration associated with losing meaningful old relationships.
I also forgot to mention I'm Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally, as it can also be summed up with those emotions and experiences, but the again, if I keep up it, the list could go on and on. It really is why I still keep listening to Nine Inch Nails, aside from the entertainment factors, as I tend to think about life in general when I do.

P.S. Not to get too off topic here, but I want you to know that there's a good chance you'll reconnect with old friends at some point. I'm 35 now and I've gotten a bunch of them back in my life. Stay positive.
I certainly hope so, and thank you for your reassurance and kind of words of encouragement. I also recently turned 30, so this is also just me peeking back in from the journey of 18-29. I also find it interesting as to how things change and come and go quite a lot during the first few years after 20, and the last few years before turning 30, and in some ways, that also helps me understand The Fragile and With Teeth a bit more too.

I was also only a NIN fan since 2002, 16 going on 17. I was only 13 going on 14 when The Fragile came out, and 19 when With Teeth came out, and was only 3 going 4 when Pretty Hate Machine came out so I just inevitably ended up discovering NIN very late, and 2002 was only my 3rd year as a music fan/record collector. Anyway, aside from just NIN, I just like how thoughts, emotions and meanings of music in general can change over time/age as well, just like anything else in life, come to think of it. That always interested me on some level too. It's also really one of the main reasons as to why I enjoy seeing people's reactions to revisiting things as adults.

Bookmark
02-11-2016, 06:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovTBRWBodgM

Quite a cool cover. She transforms We're In This Together into a different song.

Lew
02-12-2016, 10:12 AM
listened to phm last night, for the first time in a while, and don't know if it is because i am so old now...but the whole album had a different taste and i saw it, thematically, very differently than i ever have.
and, i totally and completely fell for "kinda i want to". holy shit. lol.

Halo Infinity
02-12-2016, 10:38 AM
Lew - Well, I certainly hope that you fall for this too. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC6RFjgOncE

sick among the pure
02-12-2016, 01:43 PM
@Lew (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=473) - Well, I certainly hope that you fall for this too. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC6RFjgOncE

So toward the end I was only half paying attention and in a text convo when the little sample at the end caught me off guard and I just started laughing.

Lew
02-12-2016, 03:33 PM
So toward the end I was only half paying attention and in a text convo when the little sample at the end caught me off guard and I just started laughing.

and because of your comment i glued myself to the screen...and lol'd...is that what they call an "outro' ? ;p

thanks @Kris (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=244) that was delightful.. :) you have added a nice touch to my friday night, with the repeat giggle i will get thinking of this. <3

Halo Infinity
02-12-2016, 03:43 PM
thanks @Kris (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=244) that was delightful.. :) you have added a nice touch to my friday night, with the repeat giggle i will get thinking of this. <3
You're welcome, and it's also nice to see that we have some of our favorite songs in common among Hesitation Marks and Pretty Hate Machine. Interestingly enough, if my memory serves me correctly, I think Kinda I Want To also stuck out a bit too.

I've also always liked how it shares a part of Down In It, as well as being a great pick-me-up from Something I Can Never Have. :)

Ryan
02-12-2016, 03:54 PM
Kinda I want something I can never have.

Frozen Beach
02-12-2016, 04:02 PM
I totally fucking forgot about the other remixes that Trent did for I'm Afraid Of Americans. I don't even remember what they sound like.

Halo Infinity
02-12-2016, 04:06 PM
Kinda I want something I can never have.
Disappointed everything. Everything. And anything. :p

la_mer
02-12-2016, 07:56 PM
I've looked for this video all over, and I can't tell if it was an uploaded file on here years ago, or on YouTube. But I think it was from NIN somewhere in Europe, possibly Paris, in the very early 90s. Trent had gotten kinda tipsy, and during "Down In It," he just said "fuck you" repeatedly in time with the beat. Anyone have this footage?

P.S. - In between age 20 and 30, ten years broke my emo goggles in half, lightly but inevitably. Five years made me realize Trent wasn't implying trauma necessarily. The way he took subtlety to the extreme just complemented my really superficial view of life in my teens. It's so much grayer and gradual now. Now, always in suspense, I wish I hadn't given myself so much angst back then--I had no idea how temporary it was. 5 more years, I'll wish I hadn't been so tense now. NIN holding my hand all the way. @Kris (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=244), you thought you were late to the show being born in the 80s =)

Halo Infinity
02-12-2016, 08:36 PM
@Kris (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=244), you thought you were late to the show being born in the 80s =)
If I was born 6 days earlier, I would've been exactly 4 years old when Pretty Hate Machine came out. I still imagine that it also had to be quite the experience to have become a fan any time between 1989-1995 though. :)

Aside from that, I also felt that way because I also missed The Fragile. It's obviously no wonder that the majority of those that were around to have experienced Nine Inch Nails from the beginning were actually born in the 1970s instead. This still always interested me, because I enjoy seeing Nine Inch Nails not only stand the test of time, but appeal to various generations. (And well, just not with NIN, but with any other interest of mine that has stood the test of time, or has even simply stuck around long enough.)

henryeatscereal
02-13-2016, 10:06 PM
Yesterday i watched (David Fincher's) "Zodiac"; i really like the movie but decided that the movie would be far more creepy (and cooler) if it had a Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross soundtrack.
I know Fincher and Trent started to work together later, but i thought this movie might use the "pantented TR soundtrack"...

sweeterthan
02-15-2016, 12:39 PM
Even Deeper from the CRC sessions is so damn good.

sick among the pure
02-15-2016, 05:06 PM
I loved every song from the CRC sessions, I remember listening to that version of The Big Come Down all the time.

implanted_microchip
02-17-2016, 04:12 PM
CRC Sessions rule.

All I want out of this band is an album like the Tetsuo theme. Big brass sections, rampant industrial sequences, a massive scope and scale, grandiose flourishes, just the works. In general I want more brass instruments. That sax on Black Noise was such a fuckin' tease of what we've not been getting all these years. A whole record of Black Noise, Driver Down, Tetsuo-type material with vocals and a touring band that includes dedicated brass players. I want it. I need it. I crave it. Cells in my blood clamor for it.

sheepdean
02-17-2016, 04:26 PM
CRC Sessions rule.

All I want out of this band is an album like the Tetsuo theme. Big brass sections, rampant industrial sequences, a massive scope and scale, grandiose flourishes, just the works. In general I want more brass instruments. That sax on Black Noise was such a fuckin' tease of what we've not been getting all these years. A whole record of Black Noise, Driver Down, Tetsuo-type material with vocals and a touring band that includes dedicated brass players. I want it. I need it. I crave it. Cells in my blood clamor for it.
You are talking some damn fine sense

eversonpoe
02-17-2016, 09:46 PM
CRC Sessions rule.

<3 <3 <3

you're speaking directly to my heart :o

Ryan
02-18-2016, 12:31 AM
HAHAHA!

I was fucking laughing at this hard enough as it was, then when he started reading the "Shoot shoot shoot" section my 18 month old walks over to me and starts watching as well and starts almost saying "shoot" at the same time -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObJXnPT7fLE

tony.parente

hobochic
02-18-2016, 01:30 AM

I could've sworn there was actual (shitty) video of the CRC session but can only now find the audio with a single picture of the recording. Can anyone find the video or confirm it existed?
I'm sure there was video because I remember showing it to a drummer dude I used to play with to inspire him to build makeshift drums like the ones Jerome uses during the performance. I think it was only for one of the songs and that it was posted on the actual CRC website of the time.
Perhaps I'm just constructing this memory from that single photo?

implanted_microchip
02-18-2016, 10:12 AM
I could've sworn there was actual (shitty) video of the CRC session but can only now find the audio with a single picture of the recording. Can anyone find the video or confirm it existed?
I'm sure there was video because I remember showing it to a drummer dude I used to play with to inspire him to build makeshift drums like the ones Jerome uses during the performance. I think it was only for one of the songs and that it was posted on the actual CRC website of the time.

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_yqP-WBigs

Edit: Or well I guess that's just the picture with the recording. ;/ I remember seeing video for it too so you're definitely not misremembering. RITC doesn't have any footage available for download either. Maybe ask someone over in the download thread if they have links to it?

SarahConnor
02-18-2016, 10:17 AM
Robert Christgau prefers Year Zero to TDS & Broken, says Reznor's ambience on Ghosts is better music than Eno's. http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?id=1008

implanted_microchip
02-18-2016, 10:53 AM
Robert Christgau prefers Year Zero to TDS & Broken, says Reznor's ambience on Ghosts is better music than Eno's. http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?id=1008

But that web design ...

sick among the pure
02-18-2016, 11:02 AM
But that web design ...

I only clicked the link to check out the site design.
OH. oh. Leviathant you need to see this.

Leviathant
02-18-2016, 01:35 PM

The only videos of performances like these were from the Still recording sessions. I looked far and wide for video from the CRC session, but if anyone has it, it would be Rob Sheridan, and he's never put it out. Cameras just weren't as discreet back then, and John Malm still had his iron grip on all things recording related, so no cameras would have been let in from outsiders.

fillow
02-18-2016, 01:49 PM
^^
I think there also might be a confusion with JLYI rehearsal video, no?

eversonpoe
02-18-2016, 03:18 PM
Robert Christgau ... says Reznor's ambience on Ghosts is better music than Eno's. http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?id=1008

no, he said it's better as background music, not that it's better music.

KarenLeslie
02-18-2016, 04:55 PM
Listening to Hesitation Marks for the first time in a while, and Came Back Haunted is playing. It occurs to me that a lot of the songs on TDS are like a legitimately terrifying horror movie, while CBH is like Fright Night or something. Cheeseball and fun.

Ryan
02-18-2016, 06:28 PM
Listening to Hesitation Marks for the first time in a while, and Came Back Haunted is playing. It occurs to me that a lot of the songs on TDS are like a legitimately terrifying horror movie, while CBH is like Fright Night or something. Cheeseball and fun.

The VHS cover of Fright Night used to terrify me as a kid when I saw it at the video store on the shelf.

Ryan
02-18-2016, 08:02 PM
What an odd placing of Getting Smaller in this set:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-inch-nails/2005/fillmore-auditorium-denver-co-63d6f6af.html

eversonpoe
02-18-2016, 09:35 PM

The VHS cover of Fright Night used to terrify me as a kid when I saw it at the video store on the shelf.

side note: the soundtrack just got pressed on vinyl, and also that's one of my all time favorite movies.

m15a
02-18-2016, 10:08 PM
I've always found his reviews to be super douchey. I imagine his reviews are much funnier to himself than to me. When I want to hear some funny commentary, I'll watch Johnny Carson. D+

Edit: Actually, I'm changing my rating of the site to double sad face help desk girl.

hobochic
02-19-2016, 12:28 AM
^^
I think there also might be a confusion with JLYI rehearsal video, no?

I'm quite aware of the JLYI video since it's one of my old favorite behind the scenes videos, together with the Still "candle" videos from NOLA. I'm not confusing it with the Peter Murphy videos either. This CRC video was posted if my memory isnt playing games with me on the actual CRC website. It was only for one of the crc songs and I remember how cool it was to see Jerome play on that prepared white bucket. The video was shitty and it might have been taken down due to copyright issues.

hani
02-19-2016, 04:03 PM

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-inch-nails/2005/fillmore-auditorium-denver-co-63d6f6af.html

huh. seems like Trent decided to play that at last minute tbh.

sheepdean
02-21-2016, 03:20 PM
How awesome would a TRAR scored silent film be - either a new one or rescoring a classic that had no original score

GibbonBlack
02-21-2016, 05:20 PM
How awesome would a TRAR scored silent film be - either a new one or rescoring a classic that had no original score

If I remember rightly a Director (Soderbergh?) re cut Raiders of the Lost Ark and made it silent, he used some Ghosts material for the score. I never watched it though so I'm only remembering a post from NIN Spotting

emptydesk
02-21-2016, 11:14 PM
Why didn't TR ever work with or give credit to or even mention NOLA electro wizard Quintron? I'm sure he dropped a couple grand on some drumbuddies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENeiCzXW5-k

http://nashvillesdead.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/quintron.jpeg

There is just no way that they never interacted.

implanted_microchip
02-23-2016, 01:16 AM
So Mariqueen posted on her instagram that they had a third kid around Halloween last year. Is this news or did I just miss all that?

BenAkenobi
02-23-2016, 02:06 AM
So Mariqueen posted on her instagram that they had a third kid around Halloween last year. Is this news or did I just miss all that?

Needing exceeding and breeding and feeding

Ryan
02-23-2016, 04:48 AM

Jeezum crow! What massive biblical name did they give this one?

Fun fact: TR and Gary Numan both have three kids now.

Deepvoid
02-23-2016, 06:31 AM

Good for them!

I don't think I could have a kid at 50. I can't imagine having to deal with a teenager at 65-67.

tricil
02-23-2016, 09:57 AM

No it was a night two of two show on the with teeth club tour. Anything went back then.

SchwarzerAbt
02-23-2016, 11:13 AM
Good for them!

I don't think I could have a kid at 50. I can't imagine having to deal with a teenager at 65-67.

These quotes fit together so perfectly! :-D

xcore
02-23-2016, 11:16 AM

hopefully it's a girl :)

my brother also has three: 2 boys and the sweetest girl on earth

sweeterthan
02-23-2016, 11:28 AM
I hope it's a girl too.

Congrats to them. I can't believe it was a secret for so long.

r_z
02-23-2016, 11:34 AM
Maybe it was a night two of two also...

I see myself out

Krazy
02-23-2016, 11:43 AM
These quotes fit together so perfectly! :-D

Maybe it was a night two of two also...

I see myself out

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/le-miiverse-resource/images/6/65/Crying_clap_gif.gif/revision/latest?cb=20160216225307

scorpiusdiamond
02-24-2016, 11:32 AM
There's a survey site in the UK called YouGov that is the got to for most polls here.
They've brought out something where you can find out the average personality of someone into a particular product, movie, person... or band
How accurate is the one for Nine Inch Nails? (https://yougov.co.uk/profileslite#/Nine_Inch_Nails/demographics)

_T_B_W_
02-27-2016, 03:46 AM
For a moment I thought NIN was playing in the background.
Sounds like an angrier version of All Time Low
[You say you're hungry? I give you meat]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8y-2Rg1hpw

Space Suicide
03-01-2016, 09:35 PM
Listening to the 2006 Pre-Show Radio broadcasts with Peter Murphy & Co. makes me yearn and want a full blown collaborative effort between Trent and Peter. Everything re-recorded from the shows and then some. it'd be amazing. Big pipe dream of mine for the band....haha. Ugh.

jmtd
03-02-2016, 04:40 AM
I was poking at my discogs DB (which is a subset of my vinyl collection) and I ordered it by 'median sale value'; I was pleasantly surprised to see how many NIN records are sitting at the top of the page. The Fragile was an obvious one, but things like WT and Y34RZ3R0R3MIX3D seem to be attracting quite a lot of cash!

sheepdean
03-02-2016, 04:56 AM
I was poking at my discogs DB (which is a subset of my vinyl collection) and I ordered it by 'median sale value'; I was pleasantly surprised to see how many NIN records are sitting at the top of the page. The Fragile was an obvious one, but things like WT and Y34RZ3R0R3MIX3D seem to be attracting quite a lot of cash!
(sadly for some of us)

r_k_f
03-03-2016, 08:01 AM
I'd just like to float a "So how'd that work out?" out into the ethers of the internet to the guy who asked me to film his marriage proposal on the floor of the Barclays Center during that last NIN tour cycle..

ninlive
03-03-2016, 10:46 AM

Hopefully I'll have some cool things to share with everyone from these gigs relatively "soon."

Getting Smaller is a closing track. Love it where it's at. (not to mention one of my favorite songs)

Warped_Savant
03-03-2016, 05:59 PM
Getting Smaller is a closing track. Love it where it's at. (not to mention one of my favorite songs)
I always flip flop on if I like that song or not...

bobbie solo
03-04-2016, 03:21 AM
http://floppytrent.ytmnd.com/

Deepvoid
03-04-2016, 09:18 AM
2 months down, potentially 10 to go.

Halo Infinity
03-04-2016, 03:20 PM
I suppose it was inevitable that this would catch on, but I've had the tendency to call the release dates by their album titles in my mind as if they're actual holidays.

And well, only 4 more days until Downward Spiral Day. :p

ericy210
03-04-2016, 07:49 PM
I hope it's a girl too.

Congrats to them. I can't believe it was a secret for so long.
Ditto. I just checked out her Instagram. I poked around and could only find Wikipedia saying the name hasn't been revealed. I'm guessing Marilyn, good for a girl or boy.
i hope diaper changing doesn't keep him from new music. Hopefully nighttime crying gets him good and pissed off for some harsh tunes.

Ryan
03-04-2016, 11:52 PM
Ditto. I just checked out her Instagram. I poked around and could only find Wikipedia saying the name hasn't been revealed. I'm guessing Marilyn, good for a girl or boy.
i hope diaper changing doesn't keep him from new music. Hopefully nighttime crying gets him good and pissed off for some harsh tunes.

...Manson?

neorev
03-05-2016, 10:29 PM
With the whole political atmosphere, especially surrounding the craziness of Trump, this would be the perfect time for Trent to deliver Year Zero 2. Just when we thought things were going in a somewhat right direction (not all right, but somewhat better than where we were), this shit is happening. Seems the perfect setting for a follow up.

Dr Channard
03-06-2016, 10:06 AM
With the whole political atmosphere, especially surrounding the craziness of Trump, this would be the perfect time for Trent to deliver Year Zero 2. Just when we thought things were going in a somewhat right direction (not all right, but somewhat better than where we were), this shit is happening. Seems the perfect setting for a follow up.

First single from Year Zero II, Capital T.

m15a
03-06-2016, 04:25 PM
First single from Year Zero II, Capital T.

or maybe "small d".

Mutilated
03-07-2016, 10:28 AM
I'm beginning to forget what a NIN actually is - I think I need a new NIN :/

wizfan
03-08-2016, 10:35 AM
When Trent was doing the art direction for PHM 2010, he told Rob one thing: "We must lose the pink". Funnily enough, one year later, the movie Drive* largely kickstarted the whole "back to '80s" feel and, since then, the internet has been LOADED with synthwave music, leading to the creation of bands such as The Black Queen. I wonder, if Trent had released PHM deluxe in 2011 instead of 2010, would he have kept the pink?

*which, also funnily enough, used NIN music as temp tracks

implanted_microchip
03-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Pink is great and I'd love an all-pink themed NIN album. Pink art, pink vinyl record, pink CD art, pink music video, pink lighting rig onstage, pink matching outfits for the band, a co-headlining tour with Pink. The tour merch has Jesse Pinkman from Breaking Bad and Mr. Pink from Reservoir Dogs and Pinky of Pinky and the Brain in Rob's generic glitch-art but washed over entirely in pink. Everyone who walks into the venue gets a pink glowstick and pre-sale people get neon pink armbands and pink glow necklaces. Trent dies his hair pink. It's an all-out pink-fest. Pink glitter shoots out onto the audience during Hurt. Let's make it happen.

eversonpoe
03-08-2016, 11:02 AM
Pink is great and I'd love an all-pink themed NIN album. Pink art, pink vinyl record, pink CD art, pink music video, pink lighting rig onstage, pink matching outfits for the band, a co-headlining tour with Pink. The tour merch has Jesse Pinkman from Breaking Bad and Mr. Pink from Reservoir Dogs and Pinky of Pinky and the Brain in Rob's generic glitch-art but washed over entirely in pink. Everyone who walks into the venue gets a pink glowstick and pre-sale people get neon pink armbands and pink glow necklaces. Trent dies his hair pink. It's an all-out pink-fest. Pink glitter shoots out onto the audience during Hurt. Let's make it happen.

i'm all in except of the headlining tour with Pink. can it be with Pink Floyd instead?

implanted_microchip
03-08-2016, 11:17 AM
i'm all in except of the headlining tour with Pink. can it be with Pink Floyd instead?

You drive a hard bargain but OK she's just the opening act

BenAkenobi
03-08-2016, 11:20 AM
can it be with Pink Floyd instead?

i propose Legendary Pink Dots

SchwarzerAbt
03-08-2016, 12:34 PM

I once was at a festival where Trivium, Machine Head and Slipknot were playing on one day. And just before the Trivium gig it started to rain massively. So the sponsor of the festival started to hand out rain overalls. Which were pink. So all these Metalheads without hesitation put on these nice plastic jackets. It was probably the pinkest crowd that Trivium ever played. :-D

Sorry. Little off-topic. Bit very pink.

Bachy
03-08-2016, 04:07 PM
Do you think Trent was inebriated during the filming of the March of the Pigs music video, or was that all for show?

Shadaloo
03-08-2016, 04:45 PM
Happy 22nd B-Day, TDS!

mfte
03-11-2016, 08:40 PM
Finally, after all these year, I came across that 91 performance where they had the equipment malfunction and everything stopped #thedaythemusicdied

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UfAlKEOvbc

Space Suicide
03-11-2016, 08:46 PM
Get Down, Make Love is my favorite cover for sure.

sheepdean
03-12-2016, 06:38 AM
Get Down, Make Love is my favorite cover for sure.
*hits you with zoo station*

Ryan
03-12-2016, 08:22 AM
I really miss the days of gradually updating NIN.com with hints and obscure graphics in the lead up to something great. That current tumblr layout is just bleh

eversonpoe
03-12-2016, 09:25 AM
*hits you with zoo station*

NO! zoo station has no momentum and never travels anywhere. i've made songs where people have given me that criticism and i never got it until i heard trent's version of zoo station. it's SO BORING.

for me it's a tie between metal & dead souls. they both got me into the artists that originally made them, and they have enough variation from the originals to be interesting and compelling.

sheepdean
03-12-2016, 09:53 AM
NO! zoo station has no momentum and never travels anywhere. i've made songs where people have given me that criticism and i never got it until i heard trent's version of zoo station. it's SO BORING.

for me it's a tie between metal & dead souls. they both got me into the artists that originally made them, and they have enough variation from the originals to be interesting and compelling.
I don't mind songs without progression, not everything is a journey!

Though, the TR+PM+TVOTR cover of Dreams is unf, amazing too

screwdriver
03-12-2016, 10:06 AM

aw, I like Zoo Station quite a bit. and I know what you mean about getting that criticism about your own songs -- sometimes I get it and I want to strangle the person who said it

I liked Dead Souls when I was younger but now I sort of have a hard time listening to it because I feel like the production is pretty shoddy.

sweeterthan
03-12-2016, 10:30 AM
Metal (Remix) is absolutely the best nin cover. Physical & GDML tie for second.

implanted_microchip
03-12-2016, 10:34 AM
Did everybody just forget Memorabilia?

sweeterthan
03-12-2016, 10:34 AM
Did everybody forget just Memorabilia?

That's third.

ninlive
03-12-2016, 11:32 PM
Finally, after all these year, I came across that 91 performance where they had the equipment malfunction and everything stopped #thedaythemusicdied

MTV was going to give me a copy of the master tape. But they sent it off before being able to give me a copy. Still gutted that got away.

Hazekiah
03-13-2016, 10:05 AM
Do you think Trent was inebriated during the filming of the March of the Pigs music video, or was that all for show?

I think the stumbling around was an onstage/performance affectation rather than the drunkenness suggested by Beavis & Butthead, lol. Much like Reznor's manic, aggressive, masturbatory crotch-groping during the second verse...it's just what he ALWAYS does for that part of the song.

Plus, I'd imagine that, even at his most unhinged, Reznor probably kept that shit in check much better when he was on-the-clock and indulging his hero worship working with the likes of Peter Christopherson. That said, after giving up on the high-concept, earlier version of the video and deciding to go balls-out with live performance clip instead, it's easy to understand that frustrations must have been running high and maybe a few drinks were had in the spirit of FUCK IT, LET'S JUST KICK ASS AND DO THIS ALREADY.

So I guess I could see it as having gone either way, lol.

opal
03-14-2016, 02:59 AM
Plus, I'd imagine that, even at his most unhinged, Reznor probably kept that shit in check much better when he was on-the-clock and indulging his hero worship working with the likes of Peter Christopherson.

You mean, just like when he was shooting the I'm Afraid Of Americans video with his hero, David Bowie?

Hazekiah
03-14-2016, 07:47 AM
Yes?

I mean, he got the job done and wasn't just stumbling around like a drunken hobo, so I'm not sure what the point you're trying to make might be.

Was he particularly eloquent in his on-set interviews? No. Did he break a windshield with his fist? Yes. The point is that he wasn't visibly shitfaced during filming.

opal
03-14-2016, 08:20 AM
I'm not sure what the point you're trying to make might be.

I was being ironic.

xcore
03-14-2016, 01:14 PM
Right on this day before 9 years I was right now in the location for my very first NINE INCH NAILS concert in Cologne, Palladium. God, how f***ing happy I was back in the dayz!!!...and me touching Trent Reznor on the right arm when he came down to the audience. f**kin' heaven

03-14-2007 Cologne, Palladium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jDIsQcui30

Bachy
03-14-2016, 05:14 PM
So I didn't discover NIN until 2008 once The Slip and Ghosts were being released. Has Trent always been a tease like this with regards to new material?

sheepdean
03-14-2016, 05:48 PM
So I didn't discover NIN until 2008 once The Slip and Ghosts were being released. Has Trent always been a tease like this with regards to new material?
yes - and he's always teased music that never appeared too

Jon
03-14-2016, 05:51 PM

Someone can come along and be much more eloquent, but he's been a tease since 1991 (http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/manager/display_article.php?id=327).

sick among the pure
03-14-2016, 06:46 PM

His catchphrase is "soon" for a reason.

sick among the pure
03-14-2016, 06:48 PM
Right on this day before 9 years I was right now in the location for my very first NINE INCH NAILS concert in Cologne, Palladium. God, how f***ing happy I was back in the dayz!!!...and me touching Trent Reznor on the right arm when he came down to the audience. f**kin' heaven

03-14-2007 Cologne, Palladium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jDIsQcui30

I wish there was footage of my first show (Erie, 2006) when I held his hand during Piggy. It's quite a way to experience your first show, huh?

GibbonBlack
03-14-2016, 09:42 PM

It wouldn't surprise anyone here if there wasn't any new NIN material for a while. Then again he might release a full album tomorrow. It's part of his charm.

sweeterthan
03-15-2016, 09:26 AM
His catchphrase is "soon" for a reason.

I don't know if it's a catch phrase so much as a safe word.

Ryan
03-15-2016, 09:45 AM
Someone can come along and be much more eloquent, but he's been a tease since 1991 (http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/manager/display_article.php?id=327).

Every time I'm linked to those Prodigy posts I tell myself I won't waste time re-reading it all again, then I get suckered in by Trent's messages and I end up re-reading it all over again. Fuck you, eloquent early 90s Trent!

Substance242
03-17-2016, 07:38 AM
Trent will turn 33 this year.

In hexadecimal of course, but I think decimal is way overrated... ;-)

_T_B_W_
03-18-2016, 12:42 AM
Holy fuck I can't even imagine being this person. Throw in Depeche Mode playing at the same time would be my personal ultimate limbo of doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnAUeFv_ChM

Al Kasil
03-18-2016, 04:27 AM
Depeche Mode and NIN...it would be a so obvious collaboration. I wonder sometimes why this never happened...not even a remix or so. DM and NIN have so much in common...a sound, a sometimes desperate state of mind and many producers (Flood, Alan Moulder...).

And for instance, DM's Ultra or Playing The Angel sound very NIN to me...a shame that Martin Gore, Dave Gahan and TR never planned some stuff in common. Too many egos for one project maybe...

_T_B_W_
03-18-2016, 05:22 AM
Depeche Mode and NIN...it would be a so obvious collaboration. I wonder sometimes why this never happened...not even a remix or so. DM and NIN have so much in common...a sound, a sometimes desperate state of mind and many producers (Flood, Alan Moulder...).

And for instance, DM's Ultra or Playing The Angel sound very NIN to me...a shame that Martin Gore, Dave Gahan and TR never planned some stuff in common. Too many egos for one project maybe...

If I'm not mistaken, Alan Wilder was one of many names Trent wanted to collaborate with on Tapeworm. Currently NIN and DM are signed on Columbia Records, so there's still hope of some sort of interaction between the two. It would be very awesome to see a Trent Reznor/Martin Gore record one day called TR & MG.

Dryalex12
03-18-2016, 04:15 PM
I have no idea if this has been posted or not but i found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQb3GSrrfB8

zecho
03-19-2016, 10:39 PM
I've seen that video before, but I'd never noticed til now that the vocals are live. You can hear his voice crack on the word "we" during the chorus.

reznovka
03-20-2016, 07:23 AM
I have no idea if this has been posted or not but i found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQb3GSrrfB8

thanks for that gem :)

botley
03-20-2016, 07:29 AM
I think Rob posted that on NIN.com around the same time as they put up the alternative edit of the video with those freaky numbers and voices at the beginning. Good times.

wizfan
03-21-2016, 12:52 PM
So, Apple Music will provide a new platform for idiots like me who like to do mashups and remixes of songs all the time, and will let us post our shit without us being afraid of getting our asses sued or our tracks removed, like Soundcloud does.

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2016/03/bye-bye-soundcloud-hello-apple-music/

I don't know if Trent had a hand in this, but I as sure as hell hope so.

implanted_microchip
03-21-2016, 03:40 PM
I know it's superbly unrealistic, but I really wish Year Zero had been performed in full at some point. Maybe it has a lot to do with that album and ARG being responsible for making me a super-fan (it, TDS and W_T were all my gateways) but I just feel like it flows so well and Zero-Sum really deserved to be performed at some point. How that never happened, at least, is beyond me.

The piano outro for it at the "final" show in 2009 at the end of ITT is still such an emotional gut-punch whenever I listen to that performance; I can't imagine how the whole song could've felt. Would've been a superb replacement for Hurt as an ending song.

sheepdean
03-21-2016, 05:01 PM
I know it's superbly unrealistic, but I really wish Year Zero had been performed in full at some point. Maybe it has a lot to do with that album and ARG being responsible for making me a super-fan (it, TDS and W_T were all my gateways) but I just feel like it flows so well and Zero-Sum really deserved to be performed at some point. How that never happened, at least, is beyond me.

The piano outro for it at the "final" show in 2009 at the end of ITT is still such an emotional gut-punch whenever I listen to that performance; I can't imagine how the whole song could've felt. Would've been a superb replacement for Hurt as an ending song.
I'd love NIN to do a stint like Sparks did a few years ago, every album in full, one night after the other (with other songs played for short albums of course)

sick among the pure
03-21-2016, 05:09 PM

The ITT (with Zero-Sum piano outro) was the best closing song, I don't know why Trent only used it for the LITS tour.
IMO there are 2 songs that make for simply amazing openers: Now I'm Nothing (into Terrible Lie) and Mr. Self Destruct. Home was cool because of the idea that it would just start with Robin's guitar as he walked on to the stage, and people came on accordingly. Somewhat Damaged was cool for the same reason of lights are up and suddenly shit's happening (and the build through the song) but I think it works just as well (if not better) coming back on the upswing after the slow/visuals middle of the show, to pick things back up.
I would actually like to hear opinions of people who've seen multiple opening/closing songs what they like the most and why. I love live show discussions since I became a fan right after the Fragility tour so I've only seen the post-sobriety NIN live.

Hyperpower
03-21-2016, 09:39 PM
The ITT (with Zero-Sum piano outro) was the best closing song, I don't know why Trent only used it for the LITS tour.
IMO there are 2 songs that make for simply amazing openers: Now I'm Nothing (into Terrible Lie) and Mr. Self Destruct. Home was cool because of the idea that it would just start with Robin's guitar as he walked on to the stage, and people came on accordingly. Somewhat Damaged was cool for the same reason of lights are up and suddenly shit's happening (and the build through the song) but I think it works just as well (if not better) coming back on the upswing after the slow/visuals middle of the show, to pick things back up.
I would actually like to hear opinions of people who've seen multiple opening/closing songs what they like the most and why. I love live show discussions since I became a fan right after the Fragility tour so I've only seen the post-sobriety NIN live.

i like to hear this stuff too actually, some times someone brings something up that nobody else picked up on.
i have been to every Toronto show (minus the club tour cause ya know its a pain to get tix) since Fragility 2.0 and have seen a few different openers and honestly, for me each one holds its own special memory but have not seen too many different closers.

and totally agreed, ITT with Zero-Sum piano outro is amazing. if NIN tours again, hopefully we get to see this closer :)

bobbie solo
03-23-2016, 12:41 AM
wow that 2005 setlist looks amazing, esp. compared to what we got on the last go round.

tricil
03-25-2016, 10:31 AM
So, Apple Music will provide a new platform for idiots like me who like to do mashups and remixes of songs all the time, and will let us post our shit without us being afraid of getting our asses sued or our tracks removed, like Soundcloud does.

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2016/03/bye-bye-soundcloud-hello-apple-music/

I don't know if Trent had a hand in this, but I as sure as hell hope so.

I've submitted my HTDA remix and a couple of DJ mixes. I think I was one of the first wave to get an account. Exciting.

thevoid99
03-25-2016, 03:51 PM
Here is my 2nd part of my new weekly-bi-weekly series of favorite albums in the form of... a NIN bootleg in Where Darkness Doubles, Where Light Pours In: http://thevoidgoround.blogspot.com/2016/03/favorite-albums-friday-2-where-darkness.html

SM Rollinger
03-25-2016, 04:43 PM
Here is my 2nd part of my new weekly-bi-weekly series of favorite albums in the form of... a NIN bootleg in Where Darkness Doubles, Where Light Pours In: http://thevoidgoround.blogspot.com/2016/03/favorite-albums-friday-2-where-darkness.html
Nice write up, its been years since ive listened to those tracks. I forgot how good those versions of HLAH and Sanity Assassin were, and I love Warm Leatherette too. Dreams with TV on the Radio was really haunting sounding IMO too.

Also, thevoid99 , is the sound better on that bootleg than whats on the live archive?

thevoid99
03-25-2016, 09:04 PM
Nice write up, its been years since ive listened to those tracks. I forgot how good those versions of HLAH and Sanity Assassin were, and I love Warm Leatherette too. Dreams with TV on the Radio was really haunting sounding IMO too.

Also, @thevoid99 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=254) , is the sound better on that bootleg than whats on the live archive?

I don't know. I'm not much of an audiophile as I had a better version of it a long time ago but lost it in my old hard drive. I think it depends on the source.

Copy_of_an_Echo
03-27-2016, 04:13 AM
Hey guys, if anyone is curious, this funny video shows song examples of a particular chord progression/root notes that may just be the most frequently used throughout Trent's career. I was talking about this a while back and I remember a guy was kind of curious about it too and said that some people thought Trent was losing it lol. Although, I think Trent is usually aware of what he does; I think he just likes these chords.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc7c0LwCUBU&amp;feature=youtu.be

sweeterthan
03-27-2016, 09:41 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160327/d61cc4119706b28d9e6233850ef36573.jpg

implanted_microchip
03-29-2016, 03:16 PM
Since it's getting talked in NIN-Spotting and likely won't get to continue there since it's off-topic, I felt like mentioning how awesome Vrenna coming back to work with Trent on a new album would be. Vrenna has only gotten more interesting as far as his atmospheric side of things is considered, could bring an experimental edge into NIN that's been sorely missing since Year Zero for the band and would be able to maybe bring a bit of that old spark back that could result in something fresh yet familiar. I'd be more than open to it.

I also don't think it'd feel like trying to cash in on the past or anything since it's been so long, and if Trent can bring Robin back and it not be seen as that, then I wouldn't see what would be wrong with having Vrenna come in, even if it's just for studio work. I'd love to hear what he could bring to the table and see if he could help push Trent outside of his musical comfort zone -- something I really want to hear happen on the next album. I still really dig HM, but would love to hear the sound of the band push its own boundaries again.

GlitchyFlame
03-30-2016, 12:03 AM
If the next album had some Autechre and Tuss influences, that would be amazing.

EndlessLoveless
03-30-2016, 06:52 AM
My favorite moment of the entire TDS is during 'the becoming', the acoustic break. The riff, the backround harmonies, the whining machine noises and then the lyrics....its perfect. Still remember the first time i heard it. So unexpected.

la_mer
03-30-2016, 07:52 AM
My favorite moment of the entire TDS is during 'the becoming', the acoustic break. The riff, the backround harmonies, the whining machine noises and then the lyrics....its perfect. Still remember the first time i heard it. So unexpected.

Have never forgotten, either. Very late to the game. But some 10 years ago as a raging adolescent.
Autumn. On an almost overcast day, seeing the tail end of a blurred sunset down the street, and the wind growing sharper in a matter of minutes.
Same feeling comes back every time I hear it. Thanks for bringing this up, didn't realize anyone shared the same appreciation.

implanted_microchip
03-30-2016, 01:31 PM

That might just be my favorite moment of all of NIN, in a gun-to-my-head sort of situation. Perfect example of Trent's ability to merge man with machine back when that's what NIN was more about. Really surprisingly cathartic in the middle of a song that couldn't be more vicious. Just perfection.

sick among the pure
03-30-2016, 05:41 PM
I can't say which is better, the break, or the explosion back into the loud aggressive ending. I was so happy when it became a staple of the NIN|JA tour, and wish it would have stuck around for Tension.
But I agree, one of the best moments in any NIN song.

implanted_microchip
03-30-2016, 05:46 PM
I can't say which is better, the break, or the explosion back into the loud aggressive ending. I was so happy when it became a staple of the NIN|JA tour, and wish it would have stuck around for Tension.

God, I got so salty about the Soundgarden tour setlist when I saw that they'd completely dropped The Becoming after doing those incredible album-version performances in Europe. Finally seeing Burn and Eraser made me get over it, but goddamn, I would've probably traded both for TB with Robin on acoustic.

Substance242
03-31-2016, 01:25 AM
This morning, while brushing teeth, I had a vision - right at this very moment, someone is setting up payment methods on page for new NIN material. :-) Just random thought.

sheepdean
03-31-2016, 03:45 AM
This morning, while brushing teeth, I had a vision - right at this very moment, someone is setting up payment methods on page for new NIN material. :-) Just random thought.
"do we need to make sure it works on day one?"
"nahhhh"

ChipRock
03-31-2016, 04:37 AM
right at this very moment...

I know it. I can feel it coming. Dare I say, soon? The Autolux tweet was a bit of a tease. Seriously though, if he's got new NIN coming this year, plus 'other stuff', he better get a move on. Only nine months to go. (Fast forward to December 2016 - we'll still be waiting, right?)

Halo Infinity
03-31-2016, 06:14 AM

That might just be my favorite moment of all of NIN, in a gun-to-my-head sort of situation. Perfect example of Trent's ability to merge man with machine back when that's what NIN was more about. Really surprisingly cathartic in the middle of a song that couldn't be more vicious. Just perfection.
These reasons are exactly as to why it also seemed to absolutely make perfect sense to have The Becoming to appear on Still the way it did. It even made me appreciate it and listen to it a lot more than before.

I'd definitely say both, but the explosion back into the loud aggressive ending sold me on The Becoming first. And yes, I'd certainly love to see The Becoming live again too. The ending was very beautiful live.

EndlessLoveless
03-31-2016, 06:49 AM
I still love the aggressive stuff and wish we would get more of it. Thats what initially drew me in when i was a kid. But soon thereafter it was the breaks, the quieter breaks, that always makes the song for me. Starting with Broken and TDS it was utilized alot. Gave up, Suck, Mr self destruct, MOTP, Ruiner, The becoming etc..... From then on it was like a nin staple. Even on HM my favorite moments are probably the breaks in VMOE and In two. Its all about the build up and release. I think thats one of the many reasons nin fucking rules live. There is a 'wait for it, here it fucking comes' moment every other song.

somewhat_
03-31-2016, 04:43 PM
I hope TR post something about a new album tomorrow, but I hope he's not fooling.

sheepdean
03-31-2016, 04:59 PM
I hope TR post something about a new album tomorrow, but I hope he's not fooling.
http://www.nin.com/pub/strobelight/

somewhat_
03-31-2016, 06:07 PM
http://www.nin.com/pub/strobelight/

Yep, exactly NOT that

bobbie solo
03-31-2016, 11:34 PM
God, I got so salty about the Soundgarden tour setlist when I saw that they'd completely dropped The Becoming after doing those incredible album-version performances in Europe. Finally seeing Burn and Eraser made me get over it, but goddamn, I would've probably traded both for TB with Robin on acoustic.

Are those different than this? Cuz this was a big letdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2EabsPsILc

Ryan
04-01-2016, 01:22 AM

Why a big letdown?

niggo
04-01-2016, 02:22 AM

I saw TB in Berlin in 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK3Y976anfM

There was also a recording from ThisOneIsOnUs (Stockholm).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN1ZbzeEQ6k

wizfan
04-01-2016, 08:44 AM
Allow me to gush over Dave "Rave" Ogilvie a little bit.

We know him from his work with NIN, Bowie and Skinny Puppy (and his own thing, Jakalope, which I love), but he doesn't get enough credit for his uncanny ear for pop music. He mixed the huge hit "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen; and did so with NIN in mind (http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep12/articles/it-0912.htm). It doesn't seem he has worked with Carly again, though. Bummer.

And I thought that his stereo mix for Beside You In Time was much better than the surround mix by Elliot Scheiner. He made it sound like a true NIN concert, aggressive and in your face. Scheiner made them sound like an ordinary rock band. Compare the snare drum in the song "With Teeth" on stereo and surround and you'll know what I'm talking about.

niggo
04-01-2016, 09:03 AM
And I thought that his stereo mix for Beside You In Time was much better than the surround mix by Elliot Scheiner. He made it sound like a true NIN concert, aggressive and in your face. Scheiner made them sound like an ordinary rock band. Compare the snare drum in the song "With Teeth" on stereo and surround and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Is there any way I can compare those two mixes without owning the BluRay? Maybe different versions on YouTube or something?

eversonpoe
04-01-2016, 10:03 AM
Is there any way I can compare those two mixes without owning the BluRay? Maybe different versions on YouTube or something?

the dvd also has both audio tracks, i believe.

also, as far as i know, youtube doesn't offer 5.1 (or any kind of surround) encoding.

Frozen Beach
04-01-2016, 10:03 AM
How long until NIN appear on Yo Gabba Gabba?

sick among the pure
04-01-2016, 10:08 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK3Y976anfM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN1ZbzeEQ6k

Don't forget the live TDS show (that I unfortunately wasn't at) version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ183htYl-8&amp;index=7&amp;list=PL7E15146D2F523968

Bachy
04-01-2016, 06:34 PM
Pretty much sums up my feelings about With Teeth as a whole:

http://cdn.playbuzz.com/cdn/6b6a86ff-7607-4022-852c-5d4a74c213e1/78f7988a-3b72-45bc-9499-3cd943e235a8.gif

bobbie solo
04-02-2016, 03:48 AM

Now that's more like it. Don't mess with perfection.

wizfan
04-02-2016, 04:32 AM
niggo eversonpoe botley I've made a quick comparison for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rZMIH3E_3o

botley
04-02-2016, 02:26 PM
Yes, Ogilvie obviously has some amazing finesse when it comes to getting those aggro drum sounds to really punch through in a dense stereo mix. He did an equally brilliant job with his stereo mix for the And All That Could Have Been DVDs (the 5.1 on those was I think done by TR with Jon Lemon, the guy who mixed all the Fragility 2.0 shows for the audiences, and I remember them describing it as a really steep learning curve). On the other hand, Scheiner has incredible facility with 5.1 rock mixes; as much as Ogilvie is the go-to guy for a gloriously loud floor-thumping stereo mix, Scheiner is an industry leader for surround-sound music engineering. I don't think Ogilvie has ever even mixed in 5.1; his own studio doesn't currently appear to be set up for it. Which is fine, as that's not his forté, and the demand for 5.1 music is really small these days. On the other hand, I doubt Scheiner is mixing for any bands with anywhere near as heavy a reliance on the synthetic drum tones that NIN has — one of the clients that he won a buttload of Grammys working with is Steely Dan, so that's kind of a different world. An entirely different approach, really, but since Beside You in Time came along in the very early stages of High Definition home video formats (remember the 'format war' with HD DVD?), they probably wanted to have someone mix it whose work in surround could withstand the inevitable scrutiny of HD nerds.

seasonsinthesky
04-02-2016, 03:22 PM
And the AATCHB surround mix is similarly lame in comparison to the stereo mix (though it's overcooked in the limiter, obviously). The transition from TMHBM into Wish is extremely odd in surround.

botley
04-02-2016, 03:38 PM
Yeah, and they forgot to edit out the first notes of "Every Day Is Exactly the Same" on the BYIT 5.1 track. *shrug* It's harder to quality-check surround, particularly if you change things in the program and run out of post-production time in the surround mixing room. It is what it is.

wizfan
04-02-2016, 05:05 PM
Yeah, and they forgot to edit out the first notes of "Every Day Is Exactly the Same" on the BYIT 5.1 track. *shrug* It's harder to quality-check surround, particularly if you change things in the program and run out of post-production time in the surround mixing room. It is what it is.

You can hear a similar mistake in my video as well. In 1:11-1:16, you can hear Alessandro testing his twangy acoustic guitar (hard-panned to the left). You can't hear this in the stereo version (0:24).

Frozen Beach
04-02-2016, 08:42 PM
Dave Ogilvie loses points though for the CD version of AATCHB. It's fucking painful to listen to because of whatever frequency issue is going on with that thing... I'm shocked that it didn't get recalled.

botley
04-03-2016, 12:02 PM
Dave Ogilvie loses points though for the CD version of AATCHB. It's fucking painful to listen to because of whatever frequency issue is going on with that thing... I'm shocked that it didn't get recalled.
Agreed on the painful factor, but that particular problem is simply not present on the DVD stereo, which is the same mix with different edits... so it's not an issue with his mix, but rather something awry in the CD mastering or editing chain.

eversonpoe
04-03-2016, 01:46 PM
Agreed on the painful factor, but that issue is simply not present on the DVD stereo, which is the same mix with different edits... so it's not an issue with his mix, but rather something awry in the CD mastering or editing chain.

to me it always sounded like improper dithering. so the DVD audio in stereo is, what, 48-kHz, 24-bit? it seems like they may have converted it down to 44.1kHz 16-bit without dithering.

seasonsinthesky
04-03-2016, 07:30 PM
to me it always sounded like improper dithering. so the DVD audio in stereo is, what, 48-kHz, 24-bit? it seems like they may have converted it down to 44.1kHz 16-bit without dithering.

It would take a hellish conversion or AD/DA to fuck dithering that badly. I realize computers in 2001-2 were not on today's level, but pros handled this.

Then again, pros handled the limiter, if that's indeed the problem. Maybe you're right.

botley
04-03-2016, 09:56 PM
It's also been chopped to precisely 74 minutes, which smacks of "tried to do it in-house simply by following the Redbook CD standards whitepaper to the letter". Oh well. Long ago I stopped listening to the CD and just ripped the DVD stereo to my phone. Much better.

fillow
04-04-2016, 03:59 AM
meathead's advice on how to listen the CD is always cracking me up

http://c2n.me/3wsHzz6.jpg

Full halo review here: http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/html/cartoon003.htm

Space Suicide
04-05-2016, 05:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUaDMaCo8To

Probably my favorite rendition of this song, ever.

Mutilated
04-06-2016, 06:25 AM
Mang, somebody needs to tell Trunt its April alrudy :(

Ryan
04-06-2016, 07:32 AM

Was just about to post something similar to that.

katara
04-06-2016, 08:20 AM

Was just about to post something similar to that.
He still technically has until 23:59 on the 31st of December to deliver on his promise, and even then, it may be delayed.

witte
04-06-2016, 01:38 PM
what's going on? what promise?

BenAkenobi
04-06-2016, 01:50 PM
promise = not to delete twitter posts out of the blue

mfte
04-07-2016, 06:22 PM
Any OGs remember listening to this back in the day on RealPlayer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ssqbTWOri8

Conan The Barbarian
04-07-2016, 07:27 PM

What is the back story to that? I didnt have internet access back in those days.

neorev
04-07-2016, 08:55 PM

Is there anywhere to download the AATCHB DVD stereo audio? I would love to listen to it instead of my CD audio.

mfte
04-08-2016, 09:22 AM
What is the back story to that? I didnt have internet access back in those days.

From what I remember there were 1 or 2 realplayer files that contained low quality snippets of Metal. Someone took those and make this funky jam using some sounds from Pinion and that PHM synth.

botley
04-08-2016, 09:35 AM
Is there anywhere to download the AATCHB DVD stereo audio? I would love to listen to it instead of my CD audio.
Doesn't your computer have an optical drive? You can rip it yourself with a program like DVD Audio Extractor. It's kinda frowned upon, sharing links to commercially available recordings here. In a public message. Rather than in private.

Mantra
04-09-2016, 12:23 AM

the tfa version is about 10 millions times more interesting in my opinon

Ryan
04-09-2016, 12:54 AM
Not So Pretty Now reminds me so much of Getting Smaller.

Ryan
04-09-2016, 12:56 AM

I ripped mine to mp3 with DVD Audio Extractor.

neorev
04-09-2016, 01:57 AM
@Ryan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=67)
Will try that, thanks!

Does anyone know what the audio quality is on the DVD? I'm curious about ripping in lossless, but wonder what's overkill if the audio is only a certain quality on the release.

botley
04-09-2016, 10:06 AM
@Ryan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=67)
Will try that, thanks!

Does anyone know what the audio quality is on the DVD? I'm curious about ripping in lossless, but wonder what's overkill if the audio is only a certain quality on the release.
If I recall correctly, the stereo track is Dolby Digital AC3 (which is a lossy codec) but at a healthy 448 kbps bitrate. You can play the untouched AC3 stream on a cross-platform audio player like foobar2k with the right plugin, but if you transcode that stream to MP3 with an efficient encoder like LAME 3.98 or better, it's not going to be the end of the world. Ripping to lossless format like WAV or FLAC is probably overkill, unless you want to edit them to your liking (trim down the cheering after "Head Like a Hole" or whatever) and then re-encode to a format of your choice.

Microwave Jellyfish
04-09-2016, 02:28 PM
From what I remember there were 1 or 2 realplayer files that contained low quality snippets of Metal. Someone took those and make this funky jam using some sounds from Pinion and that PHM synth.
Outro badly needs the TDS motif for full-on fan service.

Hazekiah
04-10-2016, 06:41 PM
Had a random NIN thought just now.

That new pic of Luke Skywalker riding piggyback on Rey reminded me of the time I asked if I could get a picture with Manson riding me piggyback in my Cub Scout shirt because I thought it would be funny, but he declined the offer and just shoved me down on my knees and yanked my pigtails for the pic instead, lol.

The next thing that happened after that was he punched me in the balls and I remember feeling kinda bad because all I could think of at that moment was Larry "Bud" Melman introducing Nine Inch Nails at Woodstock in my head over and over again.

XD

Warped_Savant
04-10-2016, 07:13 PM
Found on Imgur:
http://i.imgur.com/cI1TwaT.jpg

TheRealNs1
04-11-2016, 05:59 PM
guys, I have terrible news - I opened up my LITS dvd from TOIOU and I'm missing the 2nd DVD. I tried to make up for it by popping in my AAISAD BluRay but....

Harry Seaward
04-11-2016, 10:26 PM
Does the instrumental of Autolux's Soft Scene give anyone else a Hesitation Marks vibe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nwp5uMvvIU

katara
04-12-2016, 10:59 AM
Does the instrumental of Autolux's Soft Scene give anyone else a Hesitation Marks vibe?
You mean the way it drags forever at the end and should have ended a minute earlier? Yeah, several songs on Hesitation Marks did that, too.

GlitchyFlame
04-12-2016, 05:23 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nwp5uMvvIU

It's basically a better produced HM track. Pretty good. Basically a giant commercial for Elektron gear, though.

joplinpicasso
04-14-2016, 11:51 AM
Soon? . . . .

Ponderance
04-14-2016, 01:53 PM
I keep checking nin.com.... Not sure why I keep checking the hotline, but I still do. It still counts as in 2016 if it is on new years eve, right? *groan*

HurtinMinorKey
04-14-2016, 08:14 PM
Listened to Niggy Tardust on my walk to work this morning. It mad me sad to think that it might be Trent's last truly great work. I hope it isn't so.

botley
04-14-2016, 08:57 PM
It's not just 'his work', there are several tracks he didn't even touch. Personally, I think Hesitation Marks is greater and more important in TR's canon of work, although his major contributions to Inevitable Rise and Liberation... are certainly better than the average NIN song.

sheepdean
04-15-2016, 02:17 AM
Listened to Niggy Tardust on my walk to work this morning. It mad me sad to think that it might be Trent's last truly great work. I hope it isn't so.
Pretty sure the Academy of Motion Pictures, Arts and Sciences could name at least one more

joplinpicasso
04-15-2016, 10:10 AM
It's not just 'his work', there are several tracks he didn't even touch. Personally, I think Hesitation Marks is greater and more important in TR's canon of work, although his major contributions to Inevitable Rise and Liberation... are certainly better than the average NIN song.
I agree with you about HM. If I think about Niggy and Year Zero as a pair of political albums, that seems to suit me well :) but of course the 'average' NIN song varies depending on the year or decade...

Frozen Beach
04-15-2016, 02:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtynjQHuSgI
So, I was looking for some of Meathead's NIN videos and came across this...

fishtifer
04-15-2016, 11:59 PM
Cool! I thought Meathead was done with NIN parodys, man that guy still does some great videos!

fillow
04-16-2016, 04:44 AM
^^
it wasn't Meathead. I think it's somebody from Soviet Russia.

sheepdean
04-16-2016, 05:02 AM
^^
it wasn't Meathead. I think it's somebody from Soviet Russia.
In Soviet Russia, Everything survives YOU

Khrz
04-16-2016, 05:28 AM
Soviet Russia.

Is that an Iron Skies scenario where communists upload videos from their moon base?

joplinpicasso
04-16-2016, 08:10 AM
Aside from when cartoon TR punches his wife, I get the sentiment / pretty funny video.

wizfan
04-16-2016, 10:23 AM
Aside from when cartoon TR punches his wife, I get the sentiment / pretty funny video.

I was irked by that as well. I got that part spoiled from somebody in the NIN subreddit who wrote the same thing as you (maybe it was you? I don't remember), and when I watched the actual video, I was shocked even more. It's like when somebody tells you "there's a horrible jump scare in this horror film" and then, when you get to watch it, you're shaking the whole time, because you're waiting for that pants-shitting moment and you don't want to be scared.

And, yes, the Meathead Trent was angry and punchy and shit, but (if I remember correctly) he always punched dudes.

Dudes he didn't like.

Hazekiah
04-16-2016, 10:39 AM
I mean, we're talking about Russia here. Not exactly a strong history of female empowerment there. Unless pr0nsploitation counts, I guess.

Pretty funny video, though! Once you see past the kneejerk it's clear that it's just a metaphorical shedding of HtDA and domesticity so it's w/e.

Man, I'd LOVE to know what those headlines said, btw!

Frozen Beach
04-16-2016, 10:48 AM
The punching irked me as well, but I got the sentiment that it was suppose to represent Trent basically pushing his family life aside to go tour. Poor way of doing it.

BenAkenobi
04-16-2016, 12:19 PM
Man, I'd LOVE to know what those headlines said, btw!

You don't wanna. Hint: it calls TR passive homo. So the punching is adequate reaction.

thevoid99
04-16-2016, 04:10 PM

I realized that I saw this a long time ago as I didn't like that part at all. That is just wrong.

mfte
04-19-2016, 09:17 AM
The acoustic guitar from The Becoming reminds me of Bowie's Up The Hill Backwards. Also the structure of the opposing time signatures can be seen as similar between the tunes.

Your Name Here
04-19-2016, 05:48 PM

reznovka
04-20-2016, 03:49 AM
I love the whole record and listen to it mostly when I am at home and relax.
It's great for gaming too. Just put it on heavy rotation, mute the game and have a great experience ;)

Your Name Here
04-20-2016, 10:00 AM

LOVEANDZOMBIES
04-20-2016, 01:36 PM
I vaguely remember Trent saying something about new NIN and something else in 2016....

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/cardfight/images/f/f4/A-Third-of-Leads-Are-Not-Getting-Called-Back-skeleton-waiting-image.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20151204065950

BRoswell
04-20-2016, 02:13 PM
I'm guessing we'll get an announcement in May or June, followed by a release in late summer/early fall. Aside from singles, I don't think anything has been released during the middle of the summer, so I think that's a pretty safe bet.

implanted_microchip
04-20-2016, 02:24 PM
I'm guessing we'll get an announcement in May or June, followed by a release in late summer/early fall. Aside from singles, I don't think anything has been released during the middle of the summer, so I think that's a pretty safe bet.

So like Hesitation Marks then? Because if so then if they could also do kickass festival and arena tours with weird band lineups and tons of livestreamed proshots then I'm ready to get back on that 2013 bandwagon again

Your Name Here
04-20-2016, 02:25 PM

implanted_microchip
04-20-2016, 02:46 PM
That Stella Soleil version of A Warm Place is so underheard and underrated. I remember when I first heard about it thinking "No way that can be good," but it just defies all expectations when it comes to that. So gorgeous.

reznovka
04-20-2016, 03:13 PM
I really love the Stella version of AWP. I always hoped for other "remixes" with her like an leaving hope version or something like that.

As much as I want a new NINrecord, I really hope he will not tour this year. We bought a new car and have to watch our bankaccounts now :/
If there'll be a tour I don't want a festival only tour like 2013. 120€ for a single concert is a bit too much....and we all know festival bathrooms.
Nah, I take everything that Trent throws at us. :D

billpulsipher
04-20-2016, 03:25 PM
maybe Trent will be the surprise opening band for the GNR cashgrab reunion tour. he can relive 1991 all over again and get sausages thrown at him...

WorzelG
04-20-2016, 03:34 PM
If there'll be a tour I don't want a festival only tour like 2013. 120€ for a single concert is a bit too much....and we all know festival bathrooms.
I would never see NIN at a festival again unless they were headlining after Reading festival. Ironically this year the 2 bands that pissed him off there in 2013 are joint headlining, biffy Clyro and shitty fall out boy

thatguymark
04-20-2016, 04:49 PM
It looks like he's skipping the festival circuit this year. Seems like NIN would have shown up on one of the lineups already announced by now if they were planning on playing festivals at all. Remember it was February 2013 when we first knew about Summer dates that year. I think the best we can hope for at this point is a fall tour, which still feels likely to me, but maybe I'm overly optimistic. Anyway, my fingers are crossed...

reznovka
04-21-2016, 01:49 AM
It looks like he's skipping the festival circuit this year. Seems like NIN would have shown up on one of the lineups already announced by now if they were planning on playing festivals at all. Remember it was February 2013 when we first knew about Summer dates that year. I think the best we can hope for at this point is a fall tour, which still feels likely to me, but maybe I'm overly optimistic. Anyway, my fingers are crossed...

I hope you're right and that Trent won't just tour in the US. Europe is waiting too :P

bobbie solo
04-21-2016, 02:21 PM
I feel like Trent could give a fuck about the R&R Hall of Fame. It would be great if he still has that rebel streak in him & didn't even acknowledge that entire sham.

bobbie solo
04-21-2016, 03:48 PM
The reason I say that is b/c of all the comments he had around his Oscar victory. I'm paraphrasing, but he was saying how surprised he was that the Oscars is still (mostly) about the art, and the craft. Honoring the best of the best that year, almost regardless of popularity. Whereas the awards in the music industry didn't mean shit b/c it was all corrupt & solely about money. The R&R HoF has shown it to be more of the same in that regard.

piggy
04-21-2016, 10:57 PM
I think he'd actually be cool with being inducted. This is what he had to say when NIN was first nominated:

Nine Inch Nails has been nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. What would it mean to you to be inducted?

"I don't know. Having won a couple Grammys for stupid shit -- best metal performance -- it's hard to feel good about the integrity of that. The politics involved and the fact [the Grammys are] a TV show trying to get ratings led me to a pretty sour stance on the world of awards.
When The Social Network came up and suddenly there's the Oscar and Golden Globes, it felt like it's coming from a more sincere pedigree. I'm not saying there's not politics and bullshit, but [it was] my first look into how many different crafts are involved in making a film and how seriously each of those crafts takes that process -- it felt different. Two days [after winning the Oscar] did I wake up feeling any different? No. I still can find a sour outlook on life. But I have a nice thing on my mantle now.
With the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I was in Cleveland when they were campaigning to get it built there, and I remember doing whatever you needed to do -- make a phone call from the phone of the music shop I worked at -- to try to raise public enthusiasm. That's probably the most attention I had spent on it because I thought it would be nice to have some civic pride in Cleveland. But I find it flattering to be one of the nominees. It would be an honor to be a part of that if it goes that way. And if it doesn't, it doesn't. I've done the best work I can do."

xfocalinx
04-21-2016, 11:16 PM
Had a dream there was a new NIN song. woke up got real sad. :(

Ryan
04-22-2016, 06:50 AM
The Fragile DE. Where is it?

Mutilated
04-22-2016, 10:38 AM
Lame. December to now, zilch! He's harsh, isn't he??! haha

thevoid99
04-22-2016, 04:16 PM
Any idea if Trent will say something about Prince as I think we all know that he's a fan of the man.

wizfan
04-24-2016, 10:09 AM
When Trent made the Strobe Light joke, Meathead had tweeted to him: "This year's April Fool's Prank was better than that Ghosts one."

2007-2009 was, I think, the most INTENSE period for NIN, internet-wise. ARG's, countless photo diaries, mysterious YouTube videos, Twitter and official forum drama, scorching Meathead cartoons and fun books, that NIN:Access app, The Gift, passionate interviews about the state of the music industry, ThisOneIsOnUs' DVD's and fan-art madness, ETS whine-fests... and then Mariqueen and the kids soothed his mind and he rose to Academy Award greatness, along with his best pal. :D

Halo Infinity
04-24-2016, 10:15 AM
I'd also like to throw 2004-2006 in that mix too, considering The Downward Spiral being re-released and the build up to the anticipation of With Teeth and reactions of the overall tours of that era.

BenAkenobi
04-24-2016, 10:35 AM
wizfan Kris need to remember how to have random thoughts, because these look like random trivia flashes to me ;)

wizfan
04-24-2016, 03:47 PM
@wizfan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=94) @Kris (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=244) need to remember how to have random thoughts, because these look like random trivia flashes to me ;)

I'll think about it.

Callahan
04-24-2016, 08:05 PM
I really love the Stella version of AWP. I always hoped for other "remixes" with her like an leaving hope version or something like that.

As much as I want a new NINrecord, I really hope he will not tour this year. We bought a new car and have to watch our bankaccounts now :/

I'm worried about the same thing! I just bought my first home, and now have two new dogs, so I'm still adjusting to the new financial normal. I know if NIN went on tour, that will totally mess up my budgeting. I'd still definitely try to make a couple shows, but not nearly as much as I would like to see, or have done in the past.

sheepdean
04-25-2016, 03:54 PM
Does this mean I have to finally get around to watching Twin Peaks

WorzelG
04-25-2016, 03:58 PM
Does this mean I have to finally get around to watching Twin Peaks
I'm in the same boat. I loved Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart but just never got round to Twin Peaks, it never seems to be on TV either, still at least it's only two series and a film

simonn
04-25-2016, 04:11 PM
I'm in the same boat. I loved Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart but just never got round to Twin Peaks, it never seems to be on TV either, still at least it's only two series and a film

Never watched Twin Peaks. Hated the CBH video. Didn't like the Unstaged show he did with Duran Duran. So will probably just watch the (I'm guessing) 2 minute cameo on youtube or something! This had better not be the 'other things' that Trent referred to in his Xmas tweet (hopefully as TP's not airing until next year, it isn't)....unless he's doing the music for it too of course....

thevoid99
04-25-2016, 04:12 PM
Does this mean Trent Reznor and Eddie Vedder will be singing together in an episode?

Hazekiah
04-25-2016, 04:14 PM
Did I miss the news somewhere that Reznor will have a cameo in the new Twin Peaks show???

o_O

Frozen Beach
04-25-2016, 06:27 PM
It's not just Trent appearing, but also Mariqueen... Maybe a HTDA cameo? But Atticus Ross isn't on the list and neither is Rob... Maybe Trent and Mariqueen play a couple? Maybe they play lodge spirits? You can never tell with Lynch.
Edit: Robin Finck is also cast? Hmmm...

Hazekiah
04-25-2016, 06:43 PM
Thanks, that sounds really interesting.

At least one "Rob" of Trent's is going to be there, that's pretty cool. I'd hope that a married father of three in recovery would know better than to play with spirits, though.

But admittedly being a Black Lodge Spirit might just be a superfan/bucketlist cheat-day thing, I guess.

:)

WorzelG
04-26-2016, 02:06 AM
Never watched Twin Peaks. Hated the CBH video. Didn't like the Unstaged show he did with Duran Duran. So will probably just watch the (I'm guessing) 2 minute cameo on youtube or something! This had better not be the 'other things' that Trent referred to in his Xmas tweet (hopefully as TP's not airing until next year, it isn't)....unless he's doing the music for it too of course....
Don't be put off David lynch because of the CBH video. Blue velvet and wild at heart are amazing films

Frozen Beach
04-26-2016, 03:17 AM
I actually kind of dig the Came Back Haunted. But it feels less like a music video and more like a video that should be in background on a screen during a live performance. The shaky cam closeup of Trent reminds me of Lost Highway.

simonn
04-26-2016, 07:14 AM
Don't be put off David lynch because of the CBH video. Blue velvet and wild at heart are amazing films

OK. To give you an example I like the films of Scorcese, Tarantino and Fincher a lot - all fairly conventional (compared to the little I've seen of Lynch). Based on that, which of his films am I most likely to like in your opinion. Happy to give one a go...:)

Hazekiah
04-26-2016, 07:22 AM
I think Lost Highway would be your best bet. Not too abstract or artsy, not too dated, and it it will definitely satisfy your yen for gangster-oriented pulp fiction while easing you into the Lynch-ian worldview his fans love so much and meeting you halfway with a fantastic soundtrack. There's a reason it's one of his most successful films.

Frozen Beach
04-26-2016, 07:56 AM
I'd recommend Blue Velvet as a starter. It's the first David Lynch film I watched and the first that got me obsessed. I ended up watching Twin Peaks (and the movie) after that, then Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Wild At Heart, Eraserhead and Inland Empire (which is probably one of the weirdest films ever made. It's like a fever dream caught on video. It's claustrophobic and nightmare inducing)

Dune is kind of interesting visually, but not his best. The Straight Story is incredibly underrated and Elephant Man is a beautiful film.

eversonpoe
04-26-2016, 08:31 AM
OK. To give you an example I like the films of Scorcese, Tarantino and Fincher a lot - all fairly conventional (compared to the little I've seen of Lynch). Based on that, which of his films am I most likely to like in your opinion. Happy to give one a go...:)

I think Lost Highway would be your best bet. Not too abstract or artsy, not too dated, and it it will definitely satisfy your yen for gangster-oriented pulp fiction while easing you into the Lynch-ian worldview his fans love so much and meeting you halfway with a fantastic soundtrack. There's a reason it's one of his most successful films.

I'd recommend Blue Velvet as a starter. It's the first David Lynch film I watched and the first that got me obsessed. I ended up watching Twin Peaks (and the movie) after that, then Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Wild At Heart, Eraserhead and Inland Empire (which is probably one of the weirdest films ever made. It's like a fever dream caught on video. It's claustrophobic and nightmare inducing)

Dune is kind of interesting visually, but not his best. The Straight Story is incredibly underrated and Elephant Man is a beautiful film.

i find blue velvet far too upsetting to watch again. it's really good, it's just...not a good time.

i would agree with haz and say start with lost highway. that was my entry point into the world of lynch, and i think it's perfect. plus, like he said, killer soundtrack (that's why i wanted to watch it).

also, sheepdean (et al), twin peaks is great. there's no other show like it.

WorzelG
04-26-2016, 08:51 AM

Definitely Blue Velvet, it's disturbing but comprehensible, wild at heart is very weird but I still liked it because I really like Nicholas cage and Laura dern's characters. Eraserhead I didn't really get and Dune I wasn't keen on either. And that's all i've seen

Did I miss the news somewhere that Reznor will have a cameo in the new Twin Peaks show???

o_O
I'm surprised marilyn manson isn't in it given the stuff he's done with lynch. Perhaps touring made it impossible

Hazekiah
04-26-2016, 11:38 AM
Well, he's certainly kept himself busy on the road and with cameo appearances in various TV shows and movies...but I'd imagine he'd move heaven and earth (as it were) to work on a Twin Peaks/David Lynch project in ANY capacity.

I'm guessing Reznor and Lynch bonded and worked together well enough that the idea of inviting Manson never even entered into the discussion afterward, since that's kind of what it sounded like happened at the outset.

dvdglss
04-26-2016, 11:49 AM
Mulholland Drive is the best...

thevoid99
04-26-2016, 01:58 PM
Here's something I wrote on David Lynch: http://thevoid99.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-auteurs-50-david-lynch.html

It's a four-part essay in the links below the page.

Halo Infinity
04-27-2016, 06:35 AM
I seemed to have stopped calling Nine Inch Nails they and them altogether for quite some time. I often say he or him. I also still sometimes use the word band to describe Nine Inch Nails, but I also find myself saying that Nine Inch Nails or he is a musician and a singer whenever discussing NIN for the time with others, especially if they haven't heard about him before.

Khrz
04-27-2016, 06:57 AM
I also find myself saying that Nine Inch Nails or he is a musician and a singer whenever discussing NIN for the time with others, especially if they haven't heard about him before.

Pro-tip : it usually confuses people, it's too much information, and really they couldn't care less. Unless they want to know everything there is to know about that great band* they never heard about, you really shouldn't jump through hoops to talk about it.

* : (because one way or the other Reznor isn't Lopatin and NIN is a concerted effort)

sheepdean
04-27-2016, 09:08 AM
NIN is a they to me - like The Streets and La Roux etc, it's easier to pluralise than to explain the intricacies of the artist

Mutilated
04-27-2016, 02:00 PM
I bet Trent heard the new Youth Code record and decided not to release a new NIN this year.

Khrz
04-27-2016, 04:29 PM
I bet Trent heard the new Youth Code record and decided not to release a new NIN this year.

Nah, you're confusing NIN and Skinny Puppy. It's okay, a lot of people do.

emptydesk
04-28-2016, 02:38 AM
Honestly, barring Reznor's involvement, LOST HIGHWAY is really one of Lynch's weaker efforts. Most of his movies have some sort of new angle or abstract indictment of americana, but LH just seems like a looser, formless retread of those themes with new goth wallpaper for 90s kids.

I'm by no means a Lynch superfan though, I think he's about 50/50.

EndlessLoveless
04-28-2016, 07:13 PM
I actually kind of dig the Came Back Haunted. But it feels less like a music video and more like a video that should be in background on a screen during a live performance. The shaky cam closeup of Trent reminds me of Lost Highway.

CBH is prob bottom 3 for me, including Only which is just boring and of course Deep.

Top 3 in no particular order would be Closer and TPD, and maybe MOTP. WITT is good too. They all just fit the songs so well. The worst 3......not so much. Big name directors too. Weird.

cashpiles (closed)
04-28-2016, 11:28 PM
Ok my top NIN videos are The Perfect Drug, Wish and Head Like A Hole.......and We're In This Together

I just loved the whole Vampire/Victorian angle of TPD. To me, that was the ultimate image of Trent (I have always wished that he had released an album around that time). Wish and HLAH were very aggressive and visceral... these were the videos that introduced me to NIN and at the time, the image and music were too extreme for me... but the videos drew me in.

implanted_microchip
04-29-2016, 12:22 AM
How anyone can not think Closer's video is a fucking masterpiece of the visual medium is beyond me. That thing was defining for me as a new fan. TPD is an amazing video, too. In general Romanek + Reznor seemed to result in perfection. I really wish we'd have learned whatever that thing Romanek teased about a year or so ago was.

I think all videos went downhill post-TDS era but especially post-Fragile. Though we all know the Discipline video is the greatest, duh.

I've said it before but Year Zero is the largest missed opportunity for videos Trent's ever had. Imagine if someone had found a USB with a full video for something like Me, I'm Not or The Great Destroyer? There could've been weird concept videos with tons of glitch art and images of government tyranny and showing the indoctrination of society for The Greater Good. Something similar to The Loop Closes video for HTDA maybe. Me, I'm Not could've been extremely weird and moody with distorted closeups of Trent's face in RGB glitch art mixed with the type of imagery used for the 2013 festival/2014 NA screens. There could've been execution videos and images of riots for Meet Your Master. There could've been some really cool drug addiction juxtaposed with hopped up soldiers for Vessel or something. A whole recreation of The Warning's story and comic. In general there was so much potential (or so I used to say). If there was ever a NIN album lending itself to the cinematic it was YZ and we never got it.

bobbie solo
04-29-2016, 01:23 AM
Favorite NIN video? that's easy....Broken film. I feel like they're speaking to me.