PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

sukey
03-20-2012, 04:47 AM
I learnt about Charles Manson and the Sharon Tate murder in my American history lecture yesterday and had a little NIN squee.

Greentypewriters
03-20-2012, 11:35 AM
NIN's facebook just posted updated NIN wallpapers for the iPad 3's retina display (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nineinchnails/sets/72157629263306432/). has anyone ever seen this artwork for The Fragile before? (could it be the remasters?)

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6230/6854183968_b9c654775d_o.jpg

fillow
03-20-2012, 12:01 PM
this particular image is familiar to me. a few years back i had it as a wallpaper for some time (though it was a screenshot from the fragile teaser video)

Vertigo
03-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Yeah, that image has been around for a while, though at around half the new resolution. I've been using it as the cover of my custom Fragile Left for years.

Leviathant
03-20-2012, 12:41 PM
That image is used in the liner notes (maybe only the vinyl liner notes?) as well as a promo banner that was out before the album came out. I believe it's also the image used for the ever popular green-and-black Fragile guitar skin.

Vertigo
03-20-2012, 03:25 PM
There're still a couple of images in the iPad retina release which are new to me, including a de-textified version of Every Day Is Exactly The Same's cover.

joplinpicasso
03-21-2012, 07:27 AM
Random NIN Thought: MmmmmmBUH.

"Closer" and its video have never been inseparable for me - I kind of just imagine my own colors and whatnot.

Hazekiah
03-21-2012, 04:05 PM
That image is used in the liner notes (maybe only the vinyl liner notes?) as well as a promo banner that was out before the album came out.

An ex stole my giant liner notes booklet almost as soon as I got the vinyl release (the bitch, but at least I still have the REST of it, I guess), so I haven't seen it in almost a decade but I'm pretty damned certain that was indeed from the vinyl liner notes, yeah.

sick among the pure
03-22-2012, 11:45 AM
As posters are one of my top NIN collectable items, I have that Fragile promo poster. Unfortunately, the guy folded it THREE TIMES when he shipped it to me. D:
I also swear it was one of the Mc Donald's Fragile-stolen pics a few years back. Speaking of, did anything ever come of that?

MAD
03-22-2012, 05:12 PM
It was indeed one of the Mc D's images, and yes, the image isn't new. And as far as I know, nothing was done regarding the stolen images.

That image is actually used, cropped on the half, for The Fragile CD booklet, at Starfuckers Inc., Complication and ILFTJY,F.

acidpolly
03-23-2012, 09:15 AM
http://ology.com/post/66549/non-interview-trent-reznor-on-frozen-pizza-fruit-stripe-and-film-scores
don't understand if it's real or not but funny :)

sheepdean
03-23-2012, 09:17 AM
http://ology.com/post/66549/non-interview-trent-reznor-on-frozen-pizza-fruit-stripe-and-film-scores
don't understand if it's real or not but funny :)
Ology is such a weird site - this is one of their fake interviews

joplinpicasso
03-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Whoa, thanks! I almost forgot about this: http://noisydecentgraphics.typepad.com/design/2008/02/david-carson-sp.html

sheepdean
03-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Anyone know if this (essentially a feature length Ghosts film festival thingy) is still going? http://faust.wretchedrenaissance.com/

MAD
03-25-2012, 04:09 PM
I bought today the soundtrack for The Book of Eli (I'm late, I know), and I noticed that on the picture with Gary Oldman there's something that looks like the Presence:

http://i.imgur.com/hRHZu.gif

sheepdean
03-25-2012, 05:28 PM
So, Book of Eli is set after YZ? I think this should be officially canon.

jmtd
03-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Urgh please no.

Ryan
03-30-2012, 04:48 AM
I randomly login to nin.com forum for the first time in aeons, then have to log out 17 seconds later because it's such a quagmire, and that's putting it politely. All hail ETS.

wizfan
03-30-2012, 06:10 AM
Trent, Alec Empire and El-P at the same time on Twitter. I think the universe is about to explode with greatness.

ekrekel
03-30-2012, 02:23 PM
I have never ever been able to listen to Closer by Nine Inch Nails without thinking of the legendary Mark Romanek music video that accompanies it.

Is it possible to listen to that song without those images from that dark video going through ones brain? *Has anyone ever been successful?......

This might help(slightly nsfw):

http://youtu.be/fjpCRvQp5E4

icklekitty
03-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Ugh. In my mind Closer is NOT about sex. Sex as a cure or escape from something, sure, but it's not ABOUT sex.

sweeterthan
03-31-2012, 08:18 AM
Ugh. In my mind Closer is NOT about sex. Sex as a cure or escape from something, sure, but it's not ABOUT sex.
Same here. I've always interpreted it as being about desperation and self-loathing.

sheepdean
03-31-2012, 09:19 AM
Closer, to me, is about loving someone who you'll do anything for, but they only want sex in return.

That, or we're all overanalysing like fuck.

BenAkenobi
03-31-2012, 10:04 AM
"you" in Closer refers to inert society that let him violate, desecrate, etc. without proper reaction (rather than just a human lover). compare to other song on album: "I want to know everything.....I want to do something that matters". Obscenity as a struggle for recognition at its prime

slave2thewage
03-31-2012, 10:53 AM
I am still crying with laughter after this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAuVpgLszMc

sick among the pure
03-31-2012, 03:42 PM
I am still crying with laughter after this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAuVpgLszMc

You missed Random Stupidity by a few clicks.
The end did make me giggle a bit, though.

sheepdean
03-31-2012, 07:11 PM
The best NIN album ever is 3 years old today http://www.nin.com/pub/strobelight/

thevoid99
03-31-2012, 09:31 PM
That was an incredible album. Notably "Pussygrinder".

sick among the pure
03-31-2012, 11:20 PM
Ah, April 1st. Let the 24 hours of ignoring Trent's site, facebook, and twitter begin.

theruiner
04-01-2012, 12:33 AM
The most hilarious thing would be if he announced a brand new album- and I mean, not one that sounds like a joke, one that actually sounds legit, with cover art, realistic song names (it's NIN- how hard can that be?) and then tell everyone it will be available for download on April 2nd. And then never, ever bring it up again.

theimage13
04-01-2012, 08:20 AM
Better yet - put it up as available now, link to a torrent, but only seed 10% of each file. Or seed it all as an archive - which turns out to be corrupted when you try to open it.

theimage13
04-01-2012, 10:34 AM
In my mind, this still may as well be an April Fool's Day joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpakscpAowY&list=UU4a5d57ZAWl999-YXw0C1Vg&index=15&feature=plcp

KICK OUT THE JAMS, MOTHAFUCKERRRRRRRR!!

acidpolly
04-01-2012, 12:36 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/536322_10150789802506913_766016912_11539182_574141 527_n.jpg
my friends gave me this puzzle for my birthday :))) the cat is mine :)

diptych
04-02-2012, 12:07 AM
^ I love it. The cat, that is (him/her?). Angry-looking bearded Trent creeps me the fuck out. Haven't listened to NIN in quite a while. Put on Year Zero again today randomly. Damn this album is awesome. Not a bad track on it. While I'm posting this, I also watched Girl With A Dragon Tattoo a while ago (I know, not strictly NIN-related, but whatever). Didn't care for it much, though. Fincher makes great-looking movies, but I found the story adaptation of the novel less than satisfactory. The Swedish film was better IMO.

acidpolly
04-02-2012, 12:52 AM
^ I love it. The cat, that is (him/her?). Angry-looking bearded Trent creeps me the fuck out.
the cat is a boy :)
and bearded Trent although looks a bit scary but it most probably means that he was writing some music at that time, which is a good thing ;)

Ryan
04-03-2012, 07:28 AM
I love when Trent and co are silent. This lull is always soothing and exciting.

wizfan
04-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Some random Trent lyrical dick-sucking because whatever.

I was thinking about the lyrics of The Big Come Down today. "Try so hard to make the pieces all fit, smash it apart just for the fuck of it". I think this is one of the most shocking moments of The Fragile. Unlike "Gave Up", where the narrator "smashes" this and that because he tried to do something, but it was in vain, this time he actually puts effort into completing something, but then either he or somebody else smashes it just for fun. It is obvious Trent went into the darkest corners of his mind to write the lyrics. I mean, I know most of NIN's albums are like that, but I consider The Fragile to be his most depressing album, even more than TDS. While TDS was a, well, downward spiral that led to suicide, The Fragile was the internal transformation and struggle of the protagonist to cope with the troubles of his life, but it is never clear where it leads. And that is more terrifying to me.

Now I understand why Trent was afraid to go back to the Fragile for the Deluxe Edition, like he was afraid to go to a dark place.

sweeterthan
04-04-2012, 10:33 AM
the cat is awesome.

I love when Trent and co are silent. This lull is always soothing and exciting.
perhaps we'll hear something... soon.

elementroejoy
04-04-2012, 08:04 PM
I think its amazing that listening to the Theme For Tetsuo The Bullet Man is so TDS era NIN material (could easily be on Further Down The Spiral), yet it is from 2010. Proves that TR could do TDS 2 or something like that that certain people seem to want but chooses to push himself and try new things. Thats fucking awesome.

botley
04-05-2012, 02:36 AM
Yeah, I think I said back when it came out that that track sounded like The Downward Spiral had sex with Ghosts I–IV and the two of them had an even sexier sound baby.

nemesiswontdie
04-05-2012, 01:04 PM
I was listening to the 10th Anniversary Edition of TDS last night and I am surprised that the second disk doesn't have Heresy (Blind) on it. Maybe because there is a demo of Heresy is already on it?

BenAkenobi
04-05-2012, 01:51 PM
if i could reverse history and choose a nin track to disappear entirely it would be bullet man

botley
04-05-2012, 06:05 PM
if i could reverse history and choose a nin track to disappear entirely it would be bullet man
All you have to do is time travel back to 2009 and destroy the universe. That is, if you don't mind also losing "Zoo Station" (and every living soul in existence).

MAD
04-05-2012, 06:16 PM
I would go back in time to make Reznor release Purest Feeling (Single) on Interscope instead of YZR.

WorzelG
04-06-2012, 03:48 AM

Is there really nothing you like about this? Like I love the melody that's repeated in piano and then horns, the fact it can be both beautiful and magnificent - this track is great. But that alarm noise about a minute in makes me jump every time, but I think that's the point, The film sounds like it's abrasive and irritating in parts

Findus
04-06-2012, 04:39 AM
This isn't great, but it's not horrible. Well, maybe it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thmHA5ivzJE

BenAkenobi
04-06-2012, 05:05 AM
bullet man theme simply isn't trademark nin in terms of the message, the only attracting factor for bullet man theme is that it has nin next to it but if you remove nin it's unidentifiable. it's like Beauty of being numb having a Eraser section for no particular reason. surely, i'm subjective but i hope it makes sense :)

sheepdean
04-06-2012, 05:07 AM
How do you mean by message? An instrumental piece carries a variety of meanings to each different person, without the lyrics to steer them - and it was written blind, without seeing the film, so it has no connection to that either.

wizfan
04-06-2012, 06:28 AM
I was listening to the 10th Anniversary Edition of TDS last night and I am surprised that the second disk doesn't have Heresy (Blind) on it. Maybe because there is a demo of Heresy is already on it?

It's probably because that disc already had too many tracks from Closer To God.

EDIT: Plus, I HATE that they broke the segue between All the Pigs, All Lined Up and A Violet Fluid in that disc.

BenAkenobi
04-06-2012, 09:09 AM
How do you mean by message? An instrumental piece carries a variety of meanings to each different person, without the lyrics to steer them - and it was written blind, without seeing the film, so it has no connection to that either.

message - is when the song tell me "i'm nine inch nails". they either do or they don't. perhaps to some it's the opposite and they'll say it's unmistakably "nin" in its finest, well these people are lucky in this case. i think your brain tells you it's real nin, but i learned to trust my heart more :)

Incendiary Lover
04-08-2012, 05:50 PM
So it sounds like Atticus will be busy for a bit with this new Keanu project.

Even if there is another movie score in TR's future, he may have some time for OTHER musical endeavors.

AgentofChaos
04-08-2012, 08:50 PM
I'm crushed that nin.com recently had 'Still' delisted from the merch store. I took for granted it was in there for so long, and must have qued it up countless times only to close the window, just waiting for the right item to match with it to justify the shipping cost. Now it's gone and it most likely will never be back. I suppose I could look for it on the secondary market (I'd imagine its going for $40-80?), but it's still frustrating since the whole reason I waited was to avoid paying more than 20 bucks for 9 tracks I already have. I e-mailed them asking if they had any other copies lying around to sell but I never heard back. One of those things that sadly passed me by, and I have no one to blame but myself. I'm sure it will make it into my hands eventually though, when the time is right.

gorast
04-08-2012, 09:35 PM
I'm crushed that nin.com recently had 'Still' delisted from the merch store. I took for granted it was in there for so long, and must have qued it up countless times only to close the window, just waiting for the right item to match with it to justify the shipping cost. Now it's gone and it most likely will never be back. I suppose I could look for it on the secondary market (I'd imagine its going for $40-80?), but it's still frustrating since the whole reason I waited was to avoid paying more than 20 bucks for 9 tracks I already have. I e-mailed them asking if they had any other copies lying around to sell but I never heard back. One of those things that sadly passed me by, and I have no one to blame but myself. I'm sure it will make it into my hands eventually though, when the time is right.
This, so hard. The shipping cost was just too much for me, so I kept putting it off, saying "Oh, it'll still be there," and now it's not. Ugh.

It doesn't help that assholes on Amazon sell the damn thing for upwards of 30 dollars when it's listed.

sheepdean
04-08-2012, 09:38 PM
I asked Rob when someone first noticed, and he said he wasn't sure if it was an error or if they were truly sold out. Personally, I think AATCHB DE should be reissued, and the standalones should be left alone.

BenAkenobi
04-09-2012, 07:10 AM
Re: Still
drop a message in the marketplace section, i heard someone had a spare copy

MAD
04-09-2012, 09:13 AM
I know for a fact that the July 25, 2009 - Targu Mures, Romania, Peninsula Festival was recorded in HQ, multicam, etc. by Duna TV (Hungarian TV).

The problem is, I tried to contact Duna in 2009 to see if they can release the footage but with no success.
I think I remember Laci saying they were told not to release it. NINcamp told them.

Have you guys ever encountered something like this?

jessamineny
04-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Still has disappeared from the online store more than once before.

botley
04-10-2012, 08:13 PM
I know for a fact that the July 25, 2009 - Targu Mures, Romania, Peninsula Festival was recorded in HQ, multicam, etc. by Duna TV (Hungarian TV).

The problem is, I tried to contact Duna in 2009 to see if they can release the footage but with no success.
I think I remember Laci saying they were told not to release it. NINcamp told them.

Have you guys ever encountered something like this?
I haven't, but I suspect NIN management wanted to stop them from using the footage commercially. If they knew it was just going out online for free they'd probably be okay with it.

Highly Psychological
04-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Remember a track supposedly by NIN i found on Soulseek or Kazaa called ANGEL. it was on net around about 2001-2002.

I downloaded it and quite liked it, i subsequently found out the track called Angel was not by NIN and by a Canadian band called Vinyl Sun. Heard it again today, laughing at the fact i assumed Trent had written it. 'i thought angeles never learned to say goodbye'. The singer has a simillar voice to Trent except creepier softer more passive and anglo-centric.
And it totally rips off the AC/DC Back in Black the main guitar riff.
the lyrics oh my...... Could pass for a reject NIN track.

Sounds like it could have been written for Broken in 1992 sort of like Physical the Adam and the Ants cover, i just assumed Trent was going through a phase of trying to sound like that.

Gooooooooodbyyyyye!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-VpJIfwlw4

sick among the pure
04-14-2012, 09:13 PM
I never thought the singer sounded like Trent, closer to OhGr's voice in my opinion.

halloween
04-15-2012, 12:24 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/526184_131166873681449_100003644111277_137817_7716 72981_n.jpg

botley
04-16-2012, 03:28 PM
I was just listening to "The Great Destroyer" through my tinny built-in iPhone speaker and the "Red Horse Vector" hidden message was clear as day. I fucking love that! LEFT MINUS RIGHT BITCHES

dlb
04-17-2012, 05:56 AM
Bought the CDS of "the day the world went away" a few days ago as it was for under a dollar on amazon.de. Turned out the packaging is covered in obnoxious stickers by Interscope, a price tag and some other stupid stickers from the store it was orginally bought at. Since it's already a couple of years old the color changed for worse around these stickers. Looks like shit, but oh well, I still got my good looking vinyl for bragging purposes.

carpenoctem
04-17-2012, 03:49 PM
I was just listening to "The Great Destroyer" through my tinny built-in iPhone speaker and the "Red Horse Vector" hidden message was clear as day. I fucking love that! LEFT MINUS RIGHT BITCHES

Eh? Never heard of this before...

joplinpicasso
04-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Happy birthday, Year Zero! You're not my favorite NIN album by far, but you sure are interesting.

botley
04-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Eh? Never heard of this before...
It's one of the "rabbit hole" entries to the ARG websites. At one point in the song, all of the audio except that spoken message goes 180° out of phase, which means if you combine both channels into a single mono signal everything but those words will disappear. It doesn't work as well on lossy formats like MP3, which tend to throw away part of the stereo field, so there's a chance even if you listen on a mono device, you won't hear it clearly.

Best way to hear it yourself: rip that track from the CD to a lossless file format like WAV and combine both channels into one with an audio editor.

The Reason Being
04-17-2012, 04:23 PM
I remember listening to it on my old mobile phone would only play the "Red Horse Vector" part with no music at all, completely threw me off first time

Ryan
04-18-2012, 05:17 AM
I have a... not perfect, but not dumb knowledge of the Chinese zodiac, which I find far more accurate than the Western version.

Anyway, point being, I just looked up Trent's sign, being the Snake. Snakes are renowned for always trying to please those around them as best they can. Just sayin'.

** note: I'm referring to how this matches him always being so nice to his fans, etc.

MAD
04-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Just got this:
http://i.imgur.com/EsUcD.jpg

AvelineCyborg
04-19-2012, 12:39 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/526184_131166873681449_100003644111277_137817_7716 72981_n.jpg

This is so funny. It takes me back a few years before I became a mega fan. For some reason my sister got it in her head for a while that the band name was "Nine Inch Snails". One day we saw either the "Closer" or "Perfect Drug" video on MTV2 (back when they actually played music videos) and she realized her mistake and we had a good chuckle about it. :p

Scramasax
04-19-2012, 06:23 PM
I just got a gaming PC from a friend who built himself a new one and didn't need the parts of his last one and a great set of 5.1 speakers from a second hand shop. (Total cost...£8!) This meant that I was finally able to do something I've wanted to do for years.

Back in 2008 I went to New York City and while there I picked up the dual-disc of The Downward Spiral. Well I didn't have a 5.1 system then so it's sat on my shelf for almost 4 years. Yesterday I took it out and put it in and turned it up LOUD.

I could not believe how radically different the album sounds! It was like listening to it for the very first time, I noticed so many things I had never been able to hear before and fell in love with the album all over again. It was such a great expierence.

Today I played And All That Could Have Been in 5.1 and whle i had heard this in surrond before it was many years ago. Not quite as startling an experience as TDS but still drew me in very deeply. I hope I never have to go back to only the stereo. Up next, [With_Teeth] Tour Edition 5.1.

Vertigo
04-19-2012, 08:13 PM
The thing to keep in mind with TDS' 5.1 version is that many of the songs have been remixed, and not just in terms of seperating the channels. Compare the drumming between stereo and 5.1 Mr. Self Destruct, for example, or the guitar in the chorus of I Do Not Want This. So when you're picking out things you didn't before... chances are they might not have been there before! Or, at least, have sounded very different originally.
For that reason, TDS 5.1 has always blown me away in a way no other surround mix has done. The surround is expertly done too, though - it seperates the instruments in a way you rarely hear on With Teeth 5.1. When you rip the disc, it's almost like having multitracks.

Scramasax
04-19-2012, 10:19 PM
I wasn't aware of that. I knew it said on the UK SACD version that it was remixed as well as remastered but didn't know exactly what that meant. Interesting to know, thanks. I'll have to get hearing it again soon to see what else is different/new.

screwdriver
04-19-2012, 10:31 PM
I just got a gaming PC from a friend who built himself a new one and didn't need the parts of his last one and a great set of 5.1 speakers from a second hand shop. (Total cost...£8!) This meant that I was finally able to do something I've wanted to do for years.

Back in 2008 I went to New York City and while there I picked up the dual-disc of The Downward Spiral. Well I didn't have a 5.1 system then so it's sat on my shelf for almost 4 years. Yesterday I took it out and put it in and turned it up LOUD.

I could not believe how radically different the album sounds! It was like listening to it for the very first time, I noticed so many things I had never been able to hear before and fell in love with the album all over again. It was such a great expierence.

Today I played And All That Could Have Been in 5.1 and whle i had heard this in surrond before it was many years ago. Not quite as startling an experience as TDS but still drew me in very deeply. I hope I never have to go back to only the stereo. Up next, [With_Teeth] Tour Edition 5.1.

There was a quote about how aatchb 5.1 was boring because it was just recreating the live experience.

The with teeth 5.1 is pretty good. That album is a dark horse for me.

joplinpicasso
04-20-2012, 01:47 PM
She prefers The Fragile (Left). I prefer The Fragile (Right).

MAD
04-20-2012, 03:00 PM
^ Things Falling Apart.

screwdriver
04-20-2012, 03:48 PM
She prefers The Fragile (Left). I prefer The Fragile (Right).
But which Starfuckers(Version)???

MrSlfDstruct
04-23-2012, 07:38 PM
I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere, but Last is played over the closing credits of The Cabin In The Woods. I almost lost my shit when it came on, I really enjoyed the movie and then Last (my favorite NIN song) capped it off.

TheBang
04-23-2012, 10:57 PM
I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere
Yup. In the NIN Spotting (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/81-NIN-Spotting?p=26804#post26804) thread, of all places.

MrSlfDstruct
04-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Ah, son of a bitch.

My bad, still getting used to the structure of the boards.

fillow
04-27-2012, 08:45 AM
I'm soo in love with Self Destuct tour version of Eraser. Especially those Chris's drum fills before the lyrics start (at 2:44 in the video below).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfHC-4PqHTs

ImTheWiseJanitor
04-27-2012, 10:57 AM
I listened to "Terrible Lie" for the first time in months last night (the TOIOU version).

This song is fucking AWESOME.

wizfan
04-28-2012, 07:53 PM
http://klouchebag.com/#trent_reznor

scorpiusdiamond
04-29-2012, 07:50 PM
The guitar riff in Marilyn Manson's 'Mister Superstar' is the guitar riff from 'Suck' backwards.
Yes, I just learnt this. Sh.
edit: Kinderfeld/Complication... any more?

fillow
04-30-2012, 03:06 AM
no
and you're nuts

scorpiusdiamond
05-01-2012, 09:58 AM
no
and you're nuts

Really? Seeing as NiggyTardust uses tonnes of elements from The Fragile isn't it also possible that an album produced by Trent with a lot of NIN playing on it might sound A BIT like NIN?

BenAkenobi
05-01-2012, 10:55 AM
^
you made me play those mm's tracks in reverse and i heard no familiar riffs. i demand compensation for raping my ears!

fakdoo
05-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Kinderfeld actually sounds a lot like 31 Ghosts IV. Or vice versa.

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-01-2012, 12:35 PM
I wanna listen to "Deep" REALLY fucking bad right now. And I will.

reseen_lamenti
05-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Mister Superstar = Beginning of the End
Cryptorchid ending = Closer/TDS piano descending chromatic motif

sheepdean
05-01-2012, 08:21 PM
I really hope Trent releases a list of all samples used in Ghosts one day

Oblong Cheese
05-01-2012, 08:48 PM

If you played the SACD version ... I am sorry to burst your bubble but I very much doubt you actually listened to the 5.1 mix. What you probably heard was your speakers playing the left and right audio channels out the front and rear speakers simultaneously.

SACD reading disc drives simply don't exist for PCs.

ItsJustDave
05-01-2012, 08:55 PM
If you played the SACD version ... I am sorry to burst your bubble but I very much doubt you actually listened to the 5.1 mix. What you probably heard was your speakers playing the left and right audio channels out the front and rear speakers simultaneously.

SACD reading disc drives simply don't exist for PCs.

TDS was released in both SACD and DualDisc formats. The DualDisc includes CD-Audio on one side and on the flip a 5.1 mix in DVD-Audio as well as DVD-Video.

seasonsinthesky
05-02-2012, 07:51 PM
speaking of: someone actually did rip the SACD layer (just obviously not from a computer disc drive that magically reads SACD). i saw it upon a demonic, illegal sharing website at 88.2kHz. interested to see the frequency response...

wizfan
05-02-2012, 08:03 PM
speaking of: someone actually did rip the SACD layer (just obviously not from a computer disc drive that magically reads SACD). i saw it upon a demonic, illegal sharing website at 88.2kHz. interested to see the frequency response...

The DualDisc DVD-Audio data, encoded as MLP, were at 24bit/48kHz, both in surround and stereo. SACDs can be nowadays ripped with a PlayStation 3 as images, which can be then read with software such as Foobar2000 (with the suitable DSD plug-in). Foobar can decode and rip SACD data as PCM audio at 44.1, 88.2 and 176.4kHz. However, I see the guy who ripped the TDS SACD used a much more sophisticated method. It kinda makes me think what would happen if Trent considered releasing some 24-bit NIN stuff at HDTracks.

wizfan
05-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Should we rename this thread to "Random NIN Dreams"?

seasonsinthesky
05-03-2012, 11:03 AM
The DualDisc DVD-Audio data, encoded as MLP, were at 24bit/48kHz, both in surround and stereo. SACDs can be nowadays ripped with a PlayStation 3 as images, which can be then read with software such as Foobar2000 (with the suitable DSD plug-in). Foobar can decode and rip SACD data as PCM audio at 44.1, 88.2 and 176.4kHz. However, I see the guy who ripped the TDS SACD used a much more sophisticated method. It kinda makes me think what would happen if Trent considered releasing some 24-bit NIN stuff at HDTracks.

indeed. i think the market is definitely there for "high resolution" (somewhat weird term for this) NIN content and TR is aware, he just seems to prefer making it available as parts of his own products rather than shipping them out to HDTracks or other services that would take a chunk of sales (see the GWTDT super-deluxe release with razorblade USB stick containing the whole thing at 24/96 — that's a mouthful...). perhaps it's the idea that the original resolution should be available as part of the overall product in at least one configuration, with which i massively agree.

sucks that the PHM re-release didn't include higher rez files. maybe the programming/recording was only done at 44.1 because he didn't know any better back then.

carpenoctem
05-03-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere, but Last is played over the closing credits of The Cabin In The Woods. I almost lost my shit when it came on, I really enjoyed the movie and then Last (my favorite NIN song) capped it off.

That moment right after the giant hand reaches up through the cabin, and you have no idea what just happened to your brain and then Last starts playing is PERFECTION. There is nothing that could make me love that movie more, it was like a personal favor to me almost.

wizfan
05-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Fuck you, e-mail notifications, for revealing the content in the spoiler tags.

carpenoctem
05-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Fuck you, e-mail notifications, for revealing the content in the spoiler tags.

lol, sorry. On my list of recent posts I noticed the spoiler tags were stripped out too. This needs consideration, or better coding. Or whatever the terminology is, I don't know how to technology.

wizfan
05-03-2012, 08:05 PM
lol, sorry. On my list of recent posts I noticed the spoiler tags were stripped out too. This needs consideration, or better coding. Or whatever the terminology is, I don't know how to technology.

It's okay. You didn't do this on purpose, so you don't have to apologize. But from what I've heard, the movie is very enjoyable on the whole, so knowing about what happens in one scene probably won't ruin the experience for me; besides, I know virtually nothing about the movie, except that it's about some people in a cabin in the woods. So I'm going to watch it completely unprepared. After all, a movie ending with Last sounds awesome.

sick among the pure
05-03-2012, 10:57 PM
Or whatever the terminology is, I don't know how to technology.
I lol'd. Grammar like this is the best.

MAD
05-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Of of my favorite songs from one of my favorite game series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmGHwnVbIEc

I think it's easy to see why.

Vertigo
05-04-2012, 05:53 PM
One of my favorite game series [Unreal].

That first generation of Unreal games was absolute gold. Beautiful engine (which still looks good today if you download an HDR renderer and high-res textures), overflowing with atmosphere, evocative music, classic level design and still-unparalleled gunplay. Unreal Tournament even had some great backstory lurking in the level and character bios.
The ideal combination, in my opinion, is playing through Unreal 1 with UT's arsenal (using the OldSkool mod) at 80% gamespeed. I love how the smarter opponents can dodge your projectiles, and you can usually do the same against those of your enemies.
I really think Epic was the world's finest developer at that time. On top of developing such amazing games in the first place, they released a massive amount of free DLC for UT. There's nothing quite like milking a war cow.

...Then they screwed the pooch with UT2003, flushing all that glorious atmosphere and backstory down the latrine with 'E-sports' pretensions, dire weapon balance, novo-Egyptian art style and ridiculous characters (I'm looking at you Mr Crow). '04 did quite a bit to remedy that with more industrial/ancient art focus, revamped single-player ladder and the sensational re-introduction of Assault mode, but the damage was done. Still, UT2004 is probably the best of the series from a competitive point of view; great weapon balance, and the versatile movement system rewards smart play.
Similar story with Unreal 2 in that the original game wasn't much cop in my opinion, but was later transformed into a bit of a masterpiece with the XMP multiplayer add-on (I still think that's the finest multiplayer game I've ever experienced).

I thought UT3 turned out more fun and visceral than '04, but it's not exactly brimming with substance. I was a bit surprised at how poorly the game was received, I think it may be a similar situation to Civilization 5 in that the previous title offered such a comprehensive package that a further sequel seemed irrelevant.
I wonder how UT would have faired if Epic had stuck by their original yearly-update plan for UT2003. EVE Online was launched around that time, and has remained popular to this day thanks to regular updates.

Sorry for the rambling. I've been awake far too long, and Unreal brings me out in a major case of "the good old days".

icklekitty
05-06-2012, 07:02 AM
Mum: So how was your touring last week? It looked like you had fun
Me: Yeah, it was good
Mum: Nowhere as good as your Nine Inch Nails tours though. Those look better.
Me: Yeah, those are much better.

:'(

theruiner
05-06-2012, 04:52 PM
^^
Someone needs to shine the Trent signal into the sky. Which is, of course, a sad face with a tear rolling down.

bgalbraith
05-09-2012, 08:45 PM
This is a bit late, but..

My son was born 6 weeks ago. Barely hours after he was born, the first music he heard was March of the Pigs and Survivalism. :D

wizfan
05-10-2012, 02:04 AM
I had no idea about this. An early Elliott Smith track was "dissing" NIN.

http://gloriousnoise.com/2009/unreleased_early_elliott_smith

The YouTube link in there is dead, but you can see the title.

WorzelG
05-10-2012, 04:23 AM
This is a bit late, but..

My son was born 6 weeks ago. Barely hours after he was born, the first music he heard was March of the Pigs and Survivalism. :D

Congrats - that was either a home birth or a VERY tolerant hospital

MAD
05-11-2012, 01:33 AM
Did you know..

that the current vocal of Negură Bunget (http://www.negurabunget.com/index.htm) (currently touring in US & Canada) is part of a Nine Inch Nails cover band which was featured on TOIOU at one point?
Here are some recordings of one of their tribute concerts: http://www.no3.ro/2011/05/video-nine-inch-nails-tribute-wings-club.html

hobochic
05-11-2012, 01:41 AM
I had no idea about this. An early Elliott Smith track was "dissing" NIN.

http://gloriousnoise.com/2009/unreleased_early_elliott_smith

The YouTube link in there is dead, but you can see the title.

Hah, cool, I love Elliott.
Here's a working video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlt03-c-e0k

The Reason Being
05-11-2012, 04:34 AM
This is probably old news but this picture has been popping up all over the place lately, irritating because I'm 99% sure they did this on purpose? http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3uj82d0H31r4olago1_500.jpg

Maurish
05-11-2012, 04:54 AM
Yeah, the one taking the photo must have been very lucky because the BSOD picture pops up for like a millisecond. Or the picture is actually taken from a video which would make more sense.
Anyway, check around 2:04 here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMB2E0c6dos

jessamineny
05-11-2012, 05:34 AM
If I remember correctly, the photo was taken by razzletiger here on ETS

wizfan
05-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Did you know..

that the current vocal of Negură Bunget (http://www.negurabunget.com/index.htm) (currently touring in US & Canada) is part of a Nine Inch Nails cover band which was featured on TOIOU at one point?
Here are some recordings of one of their tribute concerts: http://www.no3.ro/2011/05/video-nine-inch-nails-tribute-wings-club.html

That's so cool! I love Negură Bunget. Virstele Pamintului was beautiful.

fillow
05-13-2012, 03:30 AM
The last news at nin.com were 5 months ago :(

hobochic
05-13-2012, 04:44 AM
That little ago? I thought they were dead

sick among the pure
05-13-2012, 08:45 AM
That little ago? I thought they were dead

Well, the last post on nin.com that actually was about NIN and not X project that Trent is working was november...

Ryan
05-14-2012, 07:34 AM
Trent, update nin.com pls.

gorast
05-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Trent, update nin.com pls.
trant pls

How do you update a site when there's literally nothing to post or base an update around, though?

sick among the pure
05-15-2012, 12:59 AM
trant pls

How do you update a site when there's literally nothing to post or base an update around, though?

He could post "soon..."
He doesn't need to have anything ready to say or give us, since "soon" has no real time frame. As long as he'll have something eventually, he won't be lying.

acidpolly
05-15-2012, 02:43 AM
yes Trent srsly if you won't update nin.com you are not getting your birthday wishes the day after tomorrow!

BenAkenobi
05-15-2012, 02:07 PM
oh my god oh my god oh my god.
i put TFA on and all of a sudden i think i hear those small but menacing opening loops of “somewhat damaged”. well, slight variations thereof. but “somewhat. fucking. damaged”? in “slipping. fucking. away”?
oh my god. it's so simple but it had evaded me this long?

keywords: jaw, floor, picking up, O_o

carpenoctem
05-15-2012, 04:40 PM
trant pls

I don't know why but this makes me laugh hysterically...

Frozen Beach
05-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Listening to PBTHAL vinyl rip of The Fragile. Definitely the best way to hear the vinyl version of The Fragile if you don't have a nice turntable.

seasonsinthesky
05-21-2012, 12:08 AM
^ shit. i saw that earlier but didn't realize it was a pbthal job. gonna get my hands on that now.

oh my god oh my god oh my god.
i put TFA on and all of a sudden i think i hear those small but menacing opening loops of “somewhat damaged”. well, slight variations thereof. but “somewhat. fucking. damaged”? in “slipping. fucking. away”?
oh my god. it's so simple but it had evaded me this long?

keywords: jaw, floor, picking up, O_o

are they, though? i know them both like the back of my hand at this point, but i can't say i see the relationship you're talking about.

Ryan
05-21-2012, 01:25 AM
Listening to PBTHAL vinyl rip of The Fragile. Definitely the best way to hear the vinyl version of The Fragile if you don't have a nice turntable.

What's PBTHAL?

Ryan
05-21-2012, 01:26 AM
trant pls

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4cttld0pP1qky13ro1_250.png

butter_hole
05-21-2012, 01:55 AM
What's PBTHAL?
popular well-respected ripper of vinyl. does the 'definitive' versions of many things.

butter_hole
05-21-2012, 01:56 AM
What's PBTHAL?
popular well-respected ripper of vinyl. does the 'definitive' versions of many things. I didn't know he had done this, though - exciting!

Ripping Process:

Vinyl Cleaning Process
- 3 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner (Tap water with Sporicidin) on custom rotating assembly at 1 RPM for one hour
- Vacuum off with Nitty Gritty
- AIVS Premium Record Cleaner Formula No. 15 applied with Mofi Brush while rotating on VPI 16.5
- McCulloch MC-1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner applied with Mofi Brush while rotating on VPI 16.5
- Vacuum off with VPI 16.5
- L'Art du Son Record Cleaning Fluid applied with VPI Bristle brush
- Whole Foods Deionized Water applied with Mofi Brush (Separate from AIVS Mofi Brush)
- Flip record and repeat
- Place record on Plate Demgnetizer

Turntable Equipment Profile
- VPI Scoutmaster with inverted bearing and 300 RPM motor
- VPI Center Record Weight
- VPI Periphery Ring Clamp
- Gingko Cloud 11 Vibration Control Platform
- VPI Synchronous Drive System turntable motor speed controller and line isolator
- Trans-Fi Audio Terminator T3Pro tangential tracking air bearing tonearm
- Zyx Airy 3X-SB cartridge

Phono Stage Profile
- Musical Surroundings Phonomena Phono Preamplifier
- Musical Surroundings Battery Power Supply

Analog/Digital Convertion
- E-MU 1212M (the 1212M contains the same A/D converters used in Digidesign's ProTools HD 192 I/O interface)
- Adobe Audition 3.01 running on Windows XP in a Shuttle PC form factor

Post Processing Of Audio
- Run thru ClickRepair(if necessary) at level 7 with
- Pitch Protection | off
- Reverse | on
- Simple
- Resample to 96khz in Izotope Rx2 using the default preset
- Manually listen to album in Adobe Audition cleaning any clicks/anomalies
- Flac with Xrecode II for hi-rez files
- Flac with Trader's Little Helper for redbook files

Beta
05-21-2012, 03:26 AM
where to get this?

WorzelG
05-21-2012, 04:09 AM
trant pls

Didn't Trent say in the Digg interview or somewhere 'give people a reason to keep visiting your site' hmm, not living by his own advice

fillow
05-21-2012, 06:12 AM
just post a new live video or something.

acidpolly
05-21-2012, 06:23 AM
yeah like video of signing those 3000 copies for example.

Ryan
05-21-2012, 06:52 AM
I love Trent. Even though I've seen him live 7 times and never met him.

And seen Gary Numan 3 times and met him twice.

And seen Peter Hook once and met him once.

And saw New Order twice and met them once.

TRENT, Y U SO HARD TO FIND? Stop being so short and maybe I won't have such a hard time. ololol

icklekitty
05-21-2012, 07:05 AM
just post a new live video or something.

I misread this and went running to nin.com

:(

hobochic
05-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Didn't Trent say in the Digg interview or somewhere 'give people a reason to keep visiting your site' hmm, not living by his own advice

Trent updating his site? Haha.

Trent's in parenthood limbo and there will be no NIN news for about ten to fifteen years – and when it comes, it will say "soon".

butter_hole
05-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Seems like Digg could really use that advice too.

danebraddy
05-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Semi-Trent/NIN related:
I've just finshed listening to Niggy Tardust for the first time in like 6-7 months, fuck me it's brilliant. Saul's lyrics and Trent's sonic destruction are perfect together.
And is it just me or did the lyrics of tr(n)igger predict and respond to OWS well before it's inception?

MAD
05-22-2012, 05:39 PM
...Right... So I finally noticed this.

Year Zero is Blue - Year Zero Remixed is Orange
Broken is Orange - Fixed is Blue

Funny thing, it's almost the same color.

jmtd
05-22-2012, 05:47 PM
...Right... So I finally noticed this.

Year Zero is Blue - Year Zero Remixed is Orange
Broken is Orange - Fixed is Blue

Funny thing, it's almost the same color.

The two are complementary.

If you like movies, and dont want modern ones spoiled for you, under no circumstances google "teal and orange films"

MAD
05-22-2012, 08:29 PM
^ Sadly, due to the field I'm working in and the studies I have... I am well to aware. "Sadly" mainly because teal and orange has been ruining everything from movies to advertising and once you see it, you're going to see it everywhere. /offtopic

It was more a reference to the fact that one's the album and the other one is the remix album and NINcamp has been playing with colors and came up with something interesting but not necessarily intended.

Highly Psychological
05-24-2012, 08:51 PM
The track Please from The Fragile, has always been one of my favourites...at two parts during the song, Trent sings, 'Please I dont ever want to make it stop' this is followed by the most beautiful guitar sound a sort of chiming, clinging/clanging, chugging, riff/breakdown.
It sounds like he used a Jazzmaster or a Fender Jaguar with fuck loads of effects pedals and audio editing.
Something about that musical riff is unique, it has a real classical operatic vibe to it, very elegant.
Extremely loud but very evocative. Real My Bloody Valentine influence there.
Fragile had a real shoegaze influence to it.

Wish that track was longer. Its annoying when a mindblowing sound is only used for a short while in any song.
But yeah that track could be a couple minutes longer with more of that guitar gorgeousness.

NINfan04
05-24-2012, 11:18 PM
Wish that track was longer. Its annoying when a mindblowing sound is only used for a short while in any song.
But yeah that track could be a couple minutes longer with more of that guitar gorgeousness.

I completely agree with you. One that sticks out for me is the breakdown in the middle of the song "With Teeth" from about 3:01 - 4:18. It's so simple and yet takes you to a place so far away from the noise that preceded it. It's one of those parts that I wish would have been expanded on a lot more. I thought Aaron North did a good job of putting his touch on it when performed live too.

Other random NIN thoughts since I'm currently playing everything NIN related on shuffle via my PS3:

-The Chris Vrenna score for American Mcgee's Alice is really good from start to finish.

-The Stella Soleil vocal version of "A Warm Place" is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard. (which also lead me to love David Bowie's "Crystal Japan")

-I just listened to the entire Quake soundtrack yesterday from start to finish which I've never done and I think it's awesome but it doesn't get mentioned too much.

-Every now and again I'll watch the clips on youtube of Trent/NIN at the January, 2000 Yokohama, Japan show and think things like "Yes!...Wish I could have been there!...Was it the drugs, alcohol or a little bit of both?...and Hey don't beat up on Fink too much!"

-Maybe. Maybe Just ONCE I:would have liked to see "The Perfect Drug" performed live...they could have somehow worked around the crazy drum parts to make it work!

-Maybe. Maybe Just ONCE I: would have loved to see "Happiness In Slavery" performed live anytime between 1999-present day!!

-"...I guess I just don't understand why this world seems so unkind.
maybe. maybe just once. I get what's coming.
maybe. maybe just once. I get what's coming to me..."

dlb
05-25-2012, 07:41 AM
-Maybe. Maybe Just ONCE I:would have liked to see "The Perfect Drug" performed live...they could have somehow worked around the crazy drum parts to make it work!

I think they could have put some kind of break down into it a la the great destroyer. I'm sure people wouldn't have minded if most of the drum solo was pre-recorded or somehow simulated electronically. The perfect drug is really one of my favorite NIN songs as its so different from the rest.

skullboy0
05-25-2012, 09:28 AM
I think they could have put some kind of break down into it a la the great destroyer. I'm sure people wouldn't have minded if most of the drum solo was pre-recorded or somehow simulated electronically. The perfect drug is really one of my favorite NIN songs as its so different from the rest.

I think whenever Josh was asked about it, he'd say the drum parts weren't a problem to play, it's just they could never figure out a satisfying way to end the song live

hobochic
05-25-2012, 10:27 AM
I think whenever Josh was asked about it, he'd say the drum parts weren't a problem to play, it's just they could never figure out a satisfying way to end the song live

Björk's drummer does something in the end of this video with a digital drum kit that Trent should've done years ago with TPD:

@ around 2:50 in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HenF9xxAf28

It would've been kinda awesome if Trent wasn't such a darling about his live shows.

NINfan04
05-25-2012, 01:19 PM
I agree with everyone...with today's technology, TPD could have been done live imo!

Unrelated:
Self Destruction Final from Further Down the Spiral is probably one of my top 3 NIN remixes ever, SO GOOD!

If you ever want to piss off your annoying neighbors, crank up the volume and bass on your $600 surround sound system, place the speakers at the window and play SCREAMING SLAVE from Fixed followed by Self Destruction Final, Reptilian, and other intense NIN remixes! :D

BenAkenobi
05-25-2012, 01:43 PM
...or you could just put Pinion on repeat

NINfan04
05-25-2012, 01:52 PM
...or you could just put Pinion on repeat
lol I never thought of that! Good idea! I also played Trent's Tetsuo: The Bullet Man Theme over and over...quite intense!

princessomega
05-25-2012, 02:57 PM
[QUOTE=NINfan04;34370]-Maybe. Maybe Just ONCE I:would have liked to see "The Perfect Drug" performed live...they could have somehow worked around the crazy drum parts to make it work!

-Maybe. Maybe Just ONCE I: would have loved to see "Happiness In Slavery" performed live anytime between 1999-present day!!

QUOTE]

I totally agree with both of these.
I absolutely love "the perfect drug". I know it gets put down a lot, but it will forever have a place in my heart.
I think I would die if I saw them perform it live

Harry Seaward
05-25-2012, 03:39 PM
How have I never heard this before last night!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abdO8HUndcg

sheepdean
05-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Yeah, Black Bomb isn't really talked about as much as it should. Trent not writing it and it never being released as a single means there's not much call for it to be on the various compilations out there. Which is a shame as it fucking rocks.

Frozen Beach
05-25-2012, 05:20 PM
I thought the main reason Trent didn't want to play TPD live was because he hated it/didn't like it?

sick among the pure
05-25-2012, 07:05 PM
I thought the main reason Trent didn't want to play TPD live was because he hated it/didn't like it?

I remember Josh mentioning they worked on the drum solo and Trent didn't like the way it sounded live.

BRoswell
05-25-2012, 07:42 PM
According to the wiki, the song worked fine until the ending. None of them could decide how the song should end. They tried different variations on it, but none of them seemed to work for Trent. Eventually he got tired of working on it and they gave up.

fillow
05-26-2012, 02:39 AM
I was listening to In This Twilight live compilation the other day (the one that compiles all songs performed during 2005-07) and totally forgot about We're In This Together. And when it suddenly started... HOLY SHIT. I know it was really hard to sing live, but why didn't they play it a little more? They played Last a lot and I remember him saiying that it's also hard to sing. (Yeah I know they changed the key). I think that to really enhance the song (WITT) live, they should've add one more guitar layer during the solo part. Trent doesn't sing there anyway.

BenAkenobi
05-26-2012, 04:38 AM
Yeah, Black Bomb isn't really talked about as much as it should. Trent not writing it and it never being released as a single means there's not much call for it to be on the various compilations out there. Which is a shame as it fucking rocks.
about compilations - it appeared on Rusty Nails 4 (or 3, not sure at the moment)
also, entire album rocks.

i think they could play it no problem, but it was hard to fit in set organically, hard to select songs to play before/after so it wouldn't fell too disruptive

jmtd
05-26-2012, 06:12 AM
Remember the osr gig? There was a long, complete, low quality streamed video which I have a rip of and a much higher quality edited video. The WITT performance at that was amazing, especially the piano outro, but that didn't make it into the hq edit.

Obviously someone (rob?) has the whole thing in hq. id love to hear it. I still hold out hope that the low quality stream rip was one of several quality options and a fan somewhere has a complete hq rip.

dlb
05-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Rob should really upload that HQ version of the OSR meeting onto vimeo as I don't think we will ever see it as part of a NIN DVD. Maybe someone on twitter could ask him about it as unklike the wave goodybe stuff etc. it looked like it was already mastered etc. and only needed to be uploaded completely.

jmtd
05-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Rob should really upload that HQ version of the OSR meeting onto vimeo as I don't think we will ever see it as part of a NIN DVD. Maybe someone on twitter could ask him about it as unklike the wave goodybe stuff etc. it looked like it was already mastered etc. and only needed to be uploaded completely.

done (https://twitter.com/jmtd/status/206406034380685313), let's cross our fingers.

dlb
05-26-2012, 10:41 AM
thanks! he's usually pretty open to questions of that sort. Maybe they just didn't think about putting it up.

19ninetynine
06-04-2012, 09:21 PM
DOes anyone know when Still was recorded? Just wanted to try and figure out if Trent recorded it before or after getting Sober sometime in June 2001.

sheepdean
06-04-2012, 09:27 PM
DOes anyone know when Still was recorded? Just wanted to try and figure out if Trent recorded it before or after getting Sober sometime in June 2001.
The liner notes state "Trent Reznor thanks: My family, John, Chris, Jerry and Denise for trying to help me keep it together" - I would assume after getting sober solely from that. Also, it contains music that was for One Hour Photo (released 2002).

Endlessly
06-04-2012, 10:36 PM
The liner notes state "Trent Reznor thanks: My family, John, Chris, Jerry and Denise for trying to help me keep it together" - I would assume after getting sober solely from that. Also, it contains music that was for One Hour Photo (released 2002).

I dunno. Take this as you will:
http://www.ninwiki.com/File:2004_12_03Questions9.gif

listening to still is pretty weird for me because i was at the bottom when that was recorded.

fillow
06-05-2012, 02:44 AM
There are photos of Trent, Danny and and Jerome sitting in the studio similar to the one seen in Still videos, which captioned December 2001, IIRC.
Found one:
http://www.sigiltech.net/muzike/imagenes/danny lohner - still.jpg

fillow
06-05-2012, 02:52 AM
What always bugged me is the presence of Robin Finck on The Day The World Went Away. Didn't he leave as soon as the tour was finished in Summer 2000? Maybe this particular song was recorded around the same time as Chicago radio performance? Like, on rehearsals, or right after the show.

GibbonBlack
06-05-2012, 07:35 AM
why were none of the flash drives found during the Year Zero ARG handed into lost and found? Were security asked not to accept them?

sweeterthan
06-06-2012, 11:05 AM
this happened six years ago tomorrow:
http://ninnewsfr.mihalis.org/images/nindotcom060607.jpg

i was there. this is still one of the coolest things that has ever happened to me.

you can hear it and the other special performances from that summer here:
http://ninnewsfr.mihalis.org/bauhaus2006.php

thevoid99
06-06-2012, 02:10 PM
I remember hearing that on the radio on my way to the show. It was my first NIN show. Best show ever!

botley
06-06-2012, 03:34 PM
What always bugged me is the presence of Robin Finck on The Day The World Went Away. Didn't he leave as soon as the tour was finished in Summer 2000? Maybe this particular song was recorded around the same time as Chicago radio performance? Like, on rehearsals, or right after the show.
Correct. It's from a mid-2000 recording done shortly after the CRC session but before the end of the Fragility 2.0 tour, I think. Trent was pretty psyched about the CRC show — I was at his next public appearance after it, in Toronto where he mentioned being in a good mood (and I quote: "that's a pretty rare thing"). I believe this is why they captured that arrangement soon afterwards: specifically to complement the bombastic And All That Could Have Been live show, which they were in the process of recording, with a different energy (hence And All That Could Have Been still). That track is one of the few bright moments on the record; the rest of the tracks were sporadically recorded in the following months around the time of post-tour depression and bottoming out. Somewhere in there TR was also experimenting with the minimal/brutal approach that yielded "Deep" and reemerged for With Teeth after NIN went on hiatus.

jessamineny
06-06-2012, 06:08 PM
I find it punishingly amusing that TR will probably be out on tour again (albeit with a new band) before those Wave Goodbye final concert films are ever released.

sheepdean
06-08-2012, 03:03 PM
I made a spotify playlist of the originals of the songs that NIN's covered, either live or studio.
I probably forgot some, but if anyone's interested:
NIN Covers - Originals (http://open.spotify.com/user/sheepdean/playlist/3iKjwz0lvQ6gRaepujpDes)

NB: Led Zep aren't on Spotify, the link for Immigrant Song won't work unless you have the track too.

REPLICA
06-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Does anyone know if the merch store is completely sold out of Still? I know there is a copy or two on ebay but I would really like to buy it through official channels (support the artist sort of thing).

BenAkenobi
06-08-2012, 11:20 PM
that reminds me of a mail-order coupon for Still found in USA release of Live CD, could this be effective 10 years later?

Goldfoot
06-09-2012, 07:04 PM
that reminds me of a mail-order coupon for Still found in USA release of Live CD, could this be effective 10 years later?

I thought that stopped being valid years ago.

MrSlfDstruct
06-09-2012, 07:12 PM
The Perfect Drug came on shuffle today and I got to thinking. This came out in the pre-Twitter, pre-Trent being pretty public with his goings on. I got into NIN because I bought the Lost Highway soundtrack for Apple of Sodom, as I was a huge Manson fan, and thus this was my gateway.

Coming out in the lull between TDS and TF, what was the word about TPD prior to its release? Just curious as to what any possible publicity was like, what the buzz was, etc. How was its existence first made public? I remember after the soundtrack came out people talked about it a lot since it was the first new material from NIN post TDS era, but that's all I remember.

Odd question I guess.

butter_hole
06-10-2012, 04:12 AM
The Perfect Drug came on shuffle today and I got to thinking. This came out in the pre-Twitter, pre-Trent being pretty public with his goings on. I got into NIN because I bought the Lost Highway soundtrack for Apple of Sodom, as I was a huge Manson fan, and thus this was my gateway.

Coming out in the lull between TDS and TF, what was the word about TPD prior to its release? Just curious as to what any possible publicity was like, what the buzz was, etc. How was its existence first made public? I remember after the soundtrack came out people talked about it a lot since it was the first new material from NIN post TDS era, but that's all I remember.

Odd question I guess.
it leaked like 6 months in advance, i know that much

Ryan
06-10-2012, 07:27 AM
I love the silent period, and the fact that Rob recently tweeted the word "soon". It's like living the song The Way Out Is Through... silence, then BAM!

REPLICA
06-10-2012, 12:22 PM
I love the silent period, and the fact that Rob recently tweeted the word "soon". It's like living the song The Way Out Is Through... silence, then BAM!

It would be great if they released a deluxe set of live DVDs or Blu-ray from the Wave Goodbye club shows. Each would have it's own disc(s) with the show, booklet and extras. I think they could do a special set (signed and extras added; reproduction ticket, Palladium button, stuff like that) as well as a standard (just the disc set) all in a nice slip case deal.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-10-2012, 11:02 PM
That'd be one hell of a way to go all out for that tour. I'd probably take out a loan just to get the biggest, most expensive version I could get for the Chicago shows.

Of course, that'd probably be a nightmare to put together for each show. But the idea's really awesome. If they put effort into something like that, I'd feel like I HAD to buy it (not that I wouldn't want to!).

danebraddy
06-11-2012, 01:38 AM

Odd question I guess.

They aren't working right now, but I think the NINhotline had archives form that period, if I remember right there was indeed a leak...

Leviathant
06-11-2012, 08:16 AM
KROQ leaked The Perfect Drug months ahead of schedule, Chris Schulte created a website with a realaudio copy of the leak encouraging radio stations to play his leaked copy, John Malm threw a shit fit, MTV news reported that the song was "re-mixed" for the release, and I taped a copy of the terrible-quality realaudio rip and I listened to that tape over and over and over... if I recall correctly, this all happened around Thanksgiving, when I was visiting my grandmother in Denver.

REPLICA
06-11-2012, 08:43 AM
That'd be one hell of a way to go all out for that tour. I'd probably take out a loan just to get the biggest, most expensive version I could get for the Chicago shows.

Of course, that'd probably be a nightmare to put together for each show. But the idea's really awesome. If they put effort into something like that, I'd feel like I HAD to buy it (not that I wouldn't want to!).

Yeah, I was thinking about it the other day when I was watching the footage of Somewhat Damaged and Just Like You Imagined for the 100(ish)time. I really like the production that the NIN camp puts into their live dvds, I also like how great the TOIOU project was handled.

EDIT: I don't want to start anything up again but... still waiting on After All is Said and Done.

botley
06-11-2012, 08:57 AM
KROQ leaked The Perfect Drug months ahead of schedule, Chris Schulte created a website with a realaudio copy of the leak encouraging radio stations to play his leaked copy, John Malm threw a shit fit, MTV news reported that the song was "re-mixed" for the release, and I taped a copy of the terrible-quality realaudio rip and I listened to that tape over and over and over... if I recall correctly, this all happened around Thanksgiving, when I was visiting my grandmother in Denver.
Funny how almost the exact same thing happened in 2005 (though Malm was obviously out of the picture).

Strohbie
06-13-2012, 12:45 AM

I remember hearing TPD, pre-Lost Highway, with a totally different drum sound in the bridge, could that be this? Does the leaked terrible-quality realaudio rip still exist? I had been convinced that I had imagined the whole thing.

Conan The Barbarian
06-13-2012, 01:05 AM
Would love to hear that leak. Its not on YouTube.

butter_hole
06-13-2012, 04:28 AM
IIRC the leak is exactly the same as the final version

butter_hole
06-13-2012, 04:28 AM
The original leaked .rm file actually got uploaded on the old ETS

icklekitty
06-14-2012, 04:28 AM
NIN...spotting? http://www.etsy.com/listing/101464412/further-down-the-spiral-dildo-in-old

TheBang
06-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Yeah, KROQ played it on Fri., Nov. 22, 1996:

https://groups.google.com/group/alt.music.nin/browse_thread/thread/ac85b488d19f1c5c/8624b02111026ae0?hl=en&q=perfect+drug+kroq+group:alt.music.nin#8624b02111 026ae0

It was digitized into the infamous RealAudio file and uploaded to the Internet on Nov. 26:

https://groups.google.com/group/alt.music.nin/browse_thread/thread/386a684c94bc0b2e/5797e53e242c4197?hl=en&q=perfect+drug+group:alt.music.nin#5797e53e242c419 7

The soundtrack was released in January.
Here's the original RA file, dug out from the archives. You can play it with VLC:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ygzitz3iznm

marodi
06-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Still waiting patiently for the "Trent and a piano" tour...

Fixer808
06-14-2012, 07:08 PM
The original leaked .rm file actually got uploaded on the old ETS
Shit, I remember RealPlayer. Does that shit still exist?!
*Google*
It does! I'm going to go download it so I can listen to shitty quality audio on a bloated, resource-hog of a program!

wizfan
06-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Just found out that one of El-P's instrumental discs, "Weareallgoingtoburninhellmegamixx2 / Eat My Garbage", has a track called "I Just Made You Up". Of course, the title rang a bell. The track is a distorted, shortened and pitch-shifted version of El-P's remix for "Only", complete with Trent falsettos. It also has an introduction from some dude. What's the point of placing an intro to the album when you're at track 9? Oh, well.

REPLICA
06-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Beside You In Time - Right Now - In my DVD player.

bruised
06-18-2012, 10:59 PM
Just found out that one of El-P's instrumental discs, "Weareallgoingtoburninhellmegamixx2 / Eat My Garbage", has a track called "I Just Made You Up". Of course, the title rang a bell. The track is a distorted, shortened and pitch-shifted version of El-P's remix for "Only", complete with Trent falsettos. It also has an introduction from some dude. What's the point of placing an intro to the album when you're at track 9? Oh, well.

I love that song! I sort of think of it as a remix demo. Also that's Aesop Rock doin the intro as a lot of the songs on that record have don't they? Anyway El rules and does that song.

wizfan
06-19-2012, 09:20 AM
that's Aesop Rock doin the intro as a lot of the songs on that record have don't they?

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't listen to the whole album, so I had no idea. I was just caught by I Just Made You Up's title.

r_z
06-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I always wondered if this was an alternative unused version of his remix. The shout outs between the songs are common for his "megamixxx"-series. Even his ex-girl did one: "This is El-P's ex-girlfriend and you're listening to the Wereallgoingtoburninhellmeggamixxx2. Go fuck yourself, Jamie!" :D

Track 16 contains a few more remixes. The one of a Mars Volta song is really good. Also The Doors got a remix-treatment as well.

fillow
06-21-2012, 07:43 AM
Recently listening to Ghosts only makes sense to me when I randomize its tracklist and don't make a goal to listen to the entire thing. It's been too many times when I started from 1G-I and continued in order only to be distracted somewhere in the middle of Vol.II and never finish. So annoying.

MAD
06-21-2012, 03:16 PM
^ I have a 512 MB mp3 player. It's old.

But the reason I'm using that is that I can put a limited amount of music on it. So it tends to repeat itself from start to finish. Best way to listen to Ghosts or TGWTDT imo. Put that on your ipod and just listen and walk.

sukey
06-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Listening to the Downward Spiral in its entirety for the first time in FOREVER. Hooooooly shit. It feels like I'm getting a warm hug from a fucked up old friend.

Frozen Beach
06-23-2012, 02:43 AM
https://twitter.com/joshfreese/status/216398417600065536
Not to be a nin "oh my god" speculator, but I ponder if it's because of what I think it's for... By it I mean THE FLIGHT.

WorzelG
06-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Where is Burbank?

jessamineny
06-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Where is Burbank?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burbank,_California
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burbank,_California)

VVVV frozenbeach was using sarcaism

WorzelG
06-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Thx, I doubt it's what frozenbeach is hoping then, surely you wouldn't fly 12 miles to LA

Frozen Beach
06-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Thx, I doubt it's what frozenbeach is hoping then, surely you wouldn't fly 12 miles to LA
Eh, I'm sure Josh Freese has a private jet provided by PF Changs, so why not?

sick among the pure
06-24-2012, 11:47 AM
So, had a dream that NIN launched an international tour, a mix of large-venue and club shows.

The bad news: They made presales an ARG.

Considering the problems we had in the past, that may have been a good thing.

Endlessly
06-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Something about the Solutions Backwards Initiative chatlog had been tickling my brain lately (I was wondering for days where I'd read the line "w8ing w8ing for what?"), so I went to take another look at it. It looks like the hosting for that one has expired, though Secure Broadcast Informatics is still there. I know there's a transcript on ninwiki and it's mirrored on Wayback, but I'm still a little sad about it.

sick among the pure
06-24-2012, 10:45 PM
Something about the Solutions Backwards Initiative chatlog had been tickling my brain lately (I was wondering for days where I'd read the line "w8ing w8ing for what?"), so I went to take another look at it. It looks like the hosting for that one has expired, though Secure Broadcast Informatics is still there. I know there's a transcript on ninwiki and it's mirrored on Wayback, but I'm still a little sad about it.

Reminds me of when I called one of the 3 YZ phone numbers and it was no longer active. My heart sank a little.

blassster
06-25-2012, 08:06 PM
I wonder if they've ever hidden shit in the upper frequencies of 24/96 releases, which would only be audible to humans after downpitching.

wizfan
06-25-2012, 08:10 PM
I wonder if they've ever hidden shit in the upper frequencies of 24/96 releases, which would only be audible to humans after downpitching.

Which reminds me, Me I'm Not has some pretty high frequency stuff towards the end of the song. Trent must be unable to hear these sounds.

MAD
06-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Relevant:
http://i.imgur.com/gqAS0.gif

Fixer808
06-30-2012, 05:46 PM
I bet the first order was for Trent's bathroom:
http://www.trendir.com/archives/hightech-washbasin-ammonite.jpg
You can get one too! (http://www.trendir.com/archives/001991.html) Although it looks like a bitch to clean...

Jinsai
07-04-2012, 03:41 AM
hahahaha?

http://www.vice.com/read/chunklet-to-go-go-aids-you-can-get-grunge-from-that?utm_source=vicefbus

Torgo
07-04-2012, 04:23 PM
hahahaha?

http://www.vice.com/read/chunklet-to-go-go-aids-you-can-get-grunge-from-that?utm_source=vicefbus

I really hope that guy didn't get paid to write that pile of shit. He should have titled it "I can't get laid - WAHHHH."

Fixer808
07-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Pretty well par for the course for Vice...

hellospaceboy
07-04-2012, 07:55 PM
hahahaha?

Even if it's only a blog post, and not meant to be an actual article, it's still pretty embarrassing!!!

piggy
07-06-2012, 10:26 PM
I think that Trent and Rob should put together a NIN photo book, similar to what R.E.M. did with Hello and Pearl Jam with Place/Date. They could draw on everything Rob's done from '99 to '09, which is a very tidy little timeline. I'd totally buy it, so long as it wasn't expensive.

sick among the pure
07-06-2012, 10:30 PM
One of my most vivid memories from my first NIN show (Winter WT) is TLBTB, both the song itself (which sounded SO FUCKING AMAZING live it BLEW MY MIND) but also watching the background/set and switching between watching that and watching Trent and just being completely in awe of it all. I don't know why, but that song blew my mind so much live.

edit: oh yeah, and when Trent held my hand or some shit. That's still pretty vivid too I guess.

sick among the pure
07-06-2012, 10:32 PM
I think that Trent and Rob should put together a NIN photo book, similar to what R.E.M. did with Hello and Pearl Jam with Place/Date. They could draw on everything Rob's done from '99 to '09, which is a very tidy little timeline. I'd totally buy it, so long as it wasn't expensive.

I've never seen either of those photo books, but I'm guessing like the Fragility and WT tour books, but not tour photos, rather, studio shit and all that?

blassster
07-06-2012, 11:17 PM
I love studio shit, so here's some Nothing Studios 360 degree action if you've never seen 'em. Also, the original nin.com video file (I think -- but renamed) of a TR studio recording that I have on youtube which seems to be rare. You need quicktime installed as a browser blugin for the 360 stuff if you open in a new tab, otherwise you can save them and open them locally with Quicktime. Fuck I hate quicktime.

Nothing Studios A View 1 (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12965440/Other/Nothing Studios A View 1.mov)
Nothing Studios A View 2 (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12965440/Other/Nothing Studios A View 2.mov)
Nothing Studios B (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12965440/Other/Nothing Studios B.mov)
Nothing Studios - Charlie Clouser's Room (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12965440/Other/Nothing Studios - Charlie Clouser's Room.mov)

TR Whisper Recording (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12965440/Other/The Wretched - TFA Session.mov)

If I ever post stuff hosted from my dropbox and they disappear, it may be because I've renamed my folders. PM me of something ever disappears and you want it back up.

fillow
07-07-2012, 04:00 AM
TLBTB sounded SO FUCKING AMAZING live it BLEW MY MIND
Yeah. Except backing vocals.

Trains
07-07-2012, 11:52 AM
One of my most vivid memories from my first NIN show (Winter WT) is TLBTB, both the song itself (which sounded SO FUCKING AMAZING live it BLEW MY MIND) but also watching the background/set and switching between watching that and watching Trent and just being completely in awe of it all. I don't know why, but that song blew my mind so much live.

edit: oh yeah, and when Trent held my hand or some shit. That's still pretty vivid too I guess.

Saw them for the first time in 2005 at London Brixton, remember that song well. Not one of my favorites by any stretch, but in the context of that show it really stuck out for me. No hand holding sadly, but I do seem to remember catching Trent's gaze and holding eye contact while he sang a verse of The Wretched. Though that could just be wishful thinking...

piggy
07-07-2012, 04:46 PM
I've never seen either of those photo books, but I'm guessing like the Fragility and WT tour books, but not tour photos, rather, studio shit and all that?
Well, the books I mentioned have mostly tour photos, but a handful of other kinds of shots as well. I was thinking that a book of Rob's work could be a mixture of live shots, studio shots, press photos, etc. Just whatever he and TR thought was the best stuff. I think it would be nice to have it compiled in a book so that it could reach more people than just the major fans who may have the tour programs or a bunch of stuff saved on a hard drive.

sick among the pure
07-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Yeah. Except backing vocals.

Ssshhhh, I don't remember that. :p

Saw them for the first time in 2005 at London Brixton, remember that song well. Not one of my favorites by any stretch, but in the context of that show it really stuck out for me. No hand holding sadly, but I do seem to remember catching Trent's gaze and holding eye contact while he sang a verse of The Wretched. Though that could just be wishful thinking...

I didn't get The Wretched until my last show, and it's in my top 5 songs. I was terrified I'd never get to see it, because they would play The Frail.... into just about any other song. Closer, I Do Not Want This, etc. I heard Ilan count down at the end at my last show and FREAKED because I knew It'd be The Wretched.

marodi
07-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Trent has tinnitus? (http://www.ata.org/music/musicians)

Never heard that one before. Maybe I'm just late in the gossip department though. Anyway, tinnitus sucks big time whether Trent has it or not.

Hey, maybe Torgo can ask him about it if (when?) she does that interview? The one they were suppose to do last year or so? ;)

Torgo
07-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Hey, maybe Torgo can ask him about it if (when?) she does that interview? The one they were suppose to do last year or so? ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHA... yeah....

blassster
07-09-2012, 08:26 PM
Trent has tinnitus? (http://www.ata.org/music/musicians)

Never heard that one before. Maybe I'm just late in the gossip department though. Anyway, tinnitus sucks big time whether Trent has it or not.

I don't know if I'm imagining this, but didn't he only start using IEMs on stage starting with the WT tours? For some reason I'm remembering him saying "it's like putting a globe around your head, you're disconnected but I got used to it" (extreme paraphrase, if this was even him saying it). Unfortunately, ear damage is expected when you're a touring musician... and this is Trent Reznor music.

edit: here's something (http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/xart221.shtml), but I'm not sure if this is the same thing I'm remembering.

Question:
What were you laughing about on the MTV VMA performance?
snguest_trent_reznor:
I wasn't. I'm so pissed off about that, I've never been more scared in my life, I couldn't hear anything because I had to wear those stupid-ass in-ear monitors, I got talked into it.

jmtd
07-10-2012, 11:38 AM
I don't think I've seen the lab4 perfect drug remixes get any love on here. Do people not like them, or just not well known?

Username
07-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Regarding this little bit in the new interview about the Black Ops II theme

"I have always looked to that franchise as the cutting edge of what seemingly unlimited budgets and full-on not cutting any corners can do in the current day and age,"

I have never seen him talk such bullshit. The Call of Duty franchise is one of the worst offenders when it comes to cutting corners. Entire buildings in maps in one game have been lifted and placed into maps newer games in order to avoid having to actually create a new building. They just name the processes "iw5" or "iw4", standing for Infinity Ward and then whichever iteration of the franchise it is. The gameplay is just a carbon copy of the previous game with a few things changed. It's still the exact same multiplayer system as it has been since MW2, which was 3 games ago. Concerning singleplayer, I've watched videos of people demonstrating how you don't even have to play the game to complete a level, the enemies are just straw men which your allies will scriptedly take down while you can just watch and never shoot a bullet. It's the epitome of creative stagnation and far from cutting edge. It's obvious that they don't care about what they put out, they just stick to the formula they have because they know it makes them money.

sweeterthan
07-10-2012, 01:48 PM
I have never seen him talk such bullshit.
translation: i got paid yo. feeding my babies with mad COD dolla billz.

Torgo
07-10-2012, 03:02 PM
On the other hand, why is this surprising? Can't you see him on mic, telling a bunch of 4 year olds they're giant cunts?

Frozen Beach
07-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Regarding this little bit in the new interview about the Black Ops II theme

I have never seen him talk such bullshit. The Call of Duty franchise is one of the worst offenders when it comes to cutting corners. Entire buildings in maps in one game have been lifted and placed into maps newer games in order to avoid having to actually create a new building. They just name the processes "iw5" or "iw4", standing for Infinity Ward and then whichever iteration of the franchise it is. The gameplay is just a carbon copy of the previous game with a few things changed. It's still the exact same multiplayer system as it has been since MW2, which was 3 games ago. Concerning singleplayer, I've watched videos of people demonstrating how you don't even have to play the game to complete a level, the enemies are just straw men which your allies will scriptedly take down while you can just watch and never shoot a bullet. It's the epitome of creative stagnation and far from cutting edge. It's obvious that they don't care about what they put out, they just stick to the formula they have because they know it makes them money.
Infinity Ward are the lazy ones, Treyarch are the ones who actually give a shit. Remember, not all COD games are made by the same company.

BRoswell
07-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Could care less about the game. I just want to hear that track!

seasonsinthesky
07-10-2012, 09:43 PM
I don't think I've seen the lab4 perfect drug remixes get any love on here. Do people not like them, or just not well known?

both, i'd imagine — i hadn't heard of their work until your post, and the portion listenable on Beatport is really generic speed-laser four-on-the-floor party crap that uses what sounds like the Rock Band guitar stem.

sheepdean
07-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Could care less about the game. I just want to hear that track!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

butter_hole
07-11-2012, 04:01 AM
I love studio shit, so here's some Nothing Studios 360 degree action if you've never seen 'em. Also, the original nin.com video file (I think -- but renamed) of a TR studio recording that I have on youtube which seems to be rare. You need quicktime installed as a browser blugin for the 360 stuff if you open in a new tab, otherwise you can save them and open them locally with Quicktime. Fuck I hate quicktime.

Nothing Studios A View 1 (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12965440/Other/Nothing Studios A View 1.mov)
Nothing Studios A View 2 (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12965440/Other/Nothing Studios A View 2.mov)
Nothing Studios B (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12965440/Other/Nothing Studios B.mov)
Nothing Studios - Charlie Clouser's Room (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12965440/Other/Nothing Studios - Charlie Clouser's Room.mov)

TR Whisper Recording (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12965440/Other/The Wretched - TFA Session.mov)

If I ever post stuff hosted from my dropbox and they disappear, it may be because I've renamed my folders. PM me of something ever disappears and you want it back up.

Thanks for these. Very weird to be... "in" a room that existed over ten years ago. Pictures are one thing, but this is almost like going back in time somehow!

sick among the pure
07-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Infinity Ward are the lazy ones, Treyarch are the ones who actually give a shit. Remember, not all COD games are made by the same company.

I wish more NIN fans thought before they posted shit about Black Ops II. Thank you so much for posting this before I got here, the clusterfuck thread about this track is pissing me off because people are just sitting in there bitching about the game and not getting fucking stoked about a new song.
I just *sigh* thank you. Rant over.

jmtd
07-12-2012, 06:50 AM
both, i'd imagine — i hadn't heard of their work until your post, and the portion listenable on Beatport is really generic speed-laser four-on-the-floor party crap that uses what sounds like the Rock Band guitar stem.

There's three remixes in total, all from their "none of us are saints" album. None of them are particularly amazing, imho, the best one is simply called "The Perfect Drug" and is one of the two that you can preview on beatport. I'd say that the beatport preview quality is REALLY low and the sample section they've got is quite far into the mix. Having said that unless you enjoy hard trance you probably won't like the mixes in full quality. (If you do enjoy hard trance / anything like that, It's worth seeking out some of Lab4's original stuff). The album and remixes predate the rock band stems by quite a bit (2006).

RocketScience
07-15-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm becoming increasingly convinced that TR will most likely offer new HTDA as some sort off app through appstore and android market seeing as the interview re: the new CoD had him mention that he was going for something different in terms of release compared to previous releases. Sort of in the vein of Björk's Biophilia albeit a bit more ambitious. Color me falsely excited!

sheepdean
07-15-2012, 04:45 PM
I really, really hope not, or at least that an app would have NOTHING exclusive on it. Not everyone can afford a smartphone, and not everyone has the same smartphone OS, or the latest version to accommodate an app. It's neat to have an app for fans, but to do a release through one (like a release through iTunes) is a bit elitist.

dlb
07-15-2012, 05:46 PM
I can see some form of distribution or marketing through an app, but I highly doubt that Trent would make it app-exclusive although they have a pretty good framework with nin:access to build up on and develop. Guess everyone would want to hear the new stuff on their mp3-players, computersand stereos, aswell and not be bound to a smartphone. And I'm pretty sure that we will get a physical copy some time later, especially since knowing that Trent is a sucker for all things vinyl.

Anyway, I'm curious about what he will come up with since everything he has done in the past was more or less pretty exciting.

Conan The Barbarian
07-19-2012, 09:18 PM
I bought my self the black Downward Spiral shirt since I lost mine from back in the day. I got it today and came to the realization that its a fucking bootlegg. Unless the newer editions of this type of shirt are different, I feel jipped.

Can anyone confirm this? My "bootlegg" has the back image smaller than I remember it being, as my old one pretty much covered the whole back area.

Edit: nevermind, I looked at the nin.com store and it matches. meh.

Leviathant
07-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Yeah, there was a 'reissued' Downward Spiral tshirt that paled in comparison to the awesome original shirt you're thinking of. Serious disappointment. I've got the original, but being that it's a totally badass shirt, it's showing a lot of wear. I keep waiting for that updated merch refresh Rob mentioned last year, hoping they're redoing the original TDS shirt with the huge graphics.

Original (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nine-Inch-Nails-NIN-Downward-Spiral-T-Shirt-Black-Sz-LARGE-EUC-/160845514001?pt=US_Mens_Tshirts&hash=item257323c511) vs Reissue (http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-NINE-INCH-NAILS-NIN-DOWNWARD-SPIRAL-T-SHIRT-BLACK-ROCK-ALT-GRAPHIC-/160845309339?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257320a59b) - hilarious that the 'vintage' reissue is asking $38.99, but the actual 'vintage' original is only at $8.50

I actually got mine for a couple of bucks at a Salvation Army in York, PA. Got stupid lucky on that one.

sick among the pure
07-20-2012, 12:05 AM
I have both shirts as well, got the original myself and then the reissue was a nice x-mas present. I wear the reissue most of the time to keep the original in better condition. That's the sad thing about my shirt collection, I love them so much but am careful about what ones I wear and how often because I don't want the best/rarest/most expensive to replace ones getting a huge hole or stain or something. Not to mention this shirt (http://eil.com/Gallery/375628b.jpg)that I loved until it faded instantly. Well, I got the Spiral exclusive grey one, which faded instantly, then Hot Topic came out with the green version that faded a tad bit slower. Not as quickly as the white Ghosts shirt they had at the merch tables. :(

dlb
07-27-2012, 04:25 AM
Re-listening to the 2006 radio sessions. Fuck, that was cool and I can't believe that these are already 6 years old. I particularly like the one with Atticus and Twiggy. warm leatherette, reptile, nightclubbing and strange kind of love just ooze perfection. Great times!

henryeatscereal
07-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Have you guys played Doom with "Ghosts I-IV" as soundtrack? almost made me shit myself...

Vertigo
07-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Have you guys played Doom with "Ghosts I-IV" as soundtrack? almost made me shit myself...

I know Doom 3 with the Quake music is a No Pregnant Women Or Pre-Existing Heart Conditions kind of a situation.

BenAkenobi
07-31-2012, 11:38 AM
What do nin and geography have in common?
http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii574/benakenobi/ninworld.jpg
Probably nothing...

SM Rollinger
07-31-2012, 05:01 PM
/\/\ nice, thats funny as hell