PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Khrz
08-02-2015, 02:38 PM
Best I have in both departments are my WITT singles... :(

nineinchnerd
08-02-2015, 04:28 PM
...um, do I even want to ask? I'm assuming you're back to posting random videos again. You know, there is a topic called Random Stupidity you can post nonsense in, right?

Ummm... you do know they're using a NIN sample right?

nineinchnerd
08-02-2015, 04:43 PM
I'm officially tuning out, folks. I'll be back in 2019 -- if and when there's some new music talk. It was good knowing you! Bye!

Ryan
08-02-2015, 06:42 PM
I'm officially tuning out, folks. I'll be back in 2019 -- if and when there's some new music talk. It was good knowing you! Bye!

Please come back after puberty hits.

angry_sniper1990
08-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Does someone know if the fragile at this point got like 8x platinum status? because I think the RIAA pretty much get stuck by the conflict between Reznor and interscope. Don't know about the other albums either.

FULLMETAL
08-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Does someone know if the fragile at this point got like 8x platinum status? because I think the RIAA pretty much get stuck by the conflict between Reznor and interscope. Don't know about the other albums either.
Looking at the RIAA's database search (https://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?content_selector=gold-platinum-searchable-database#) the last certification for THE FRAGILE was 2x multi-platinum in January 2000.

m15a
08-02-2015, 10:08 PM
I was 30+ when I got it, so too old to be putting up posters really

Uh . . .

::glances up at Taylor Swift poster on the wall::

sheepdean
08-02-2015, 10:15 PM
Uh . . .

::glances up at Taylor Swift poster on the wall::
Haters gonna hate hate hate

billpulsipher
08-02-2015, 11:01 PM
so Dr. Dre is releasing a new album next week...surprise, surprise, its "exclusive" to apple again....

BRoswell
08-02-2015, 11:04 PM
Is Dr. Dre in Nine Inch Nails?

sheepdean
08-02-2015, 11:11 PM
so Dr. Dre is releasing a new album next week...surprise, surprise, its "exclusive" to apple again....
..ok? You know there's a Dr Dre thread in the music section

nineinchnerd
08-03-2015, 12:25 AM
Is Dr. Dre in Nine Inch Nails?

May as well be. He mixed a NIN track and him and Trent are best buds.

BRoswell
08-03-2015, 12:39 AM
He mixed a NIN track...

...sixteen years ago.

sheepdean
08-03-2015, 12:53 AM
May as well be. He mixed a NIN track and him and Trent are best buds.
So, Dave Grohl is in NIN too?

icecream
08-03-2015, 12:56 AM

Josh Wink, too ;)

nineinchnerd
08-03-2015, 01:07 AM

Pretty much. He's a NIN bro, too.

sheepdean
08-03-2015, 02:18 AM
Pretty much. He's a NIN bro, too.
There's only one permanent member of NIN. His name is Michael.

Atticus, Alan, Robin, Rob and Ally could all be easily defined as "members" too due to their long, long history of contribution, but they aren't. Someone appearing on one song, or a few tracks of an album, is what we called a studio musician. They are not in the band, they are simply there to provide music or musical contribution to the ideas and songs. And Trent's friends are also not in the band simply because they're buddies.

billpulsipher
08-03-2015, 02:22 AM
Dre is TR's new business partner and corporate bro...and TR's business partners are the same as NIN members, so yea Dr Dre is as much a member of Nine Inch Nails as aaron north or josh eustis ever was

sheepdean
08-03-2015, 02:26 AM
Dre is TR's new business partner and corporate bro...and TR's business partners are the same as NIN members, so yea Dr Dre is as much a member of Nine Inch Nails as aaron north or josh eustis ever was
John Malm, Steve Gottlieb and Jimmy Iovine are all in NIN too, wow I never knew.

katara
08-03-2015, 04:59 AM
Does anyone else feel that Trent has sold out in a big way with the last few releases being exclusive to subscription-only services like Beats and Apple Music?

Ten years ago, he would have discreetly uploaded lossless files to the bay as seed0. Now, the new material is only available as a lossy stream we have to pay for. Am I missing something?

sheepdean
08-03-2015, 05:02 AM
Does anyone else feel that Trent has sold out in a big way with the last few releases being exclusive to subscription-only services like Beats and Apple Music?

Ten years ago, he would have discreetly uploaded lossless files to the bay as seed0. Now, the new material is only available as a lossy stream we have to pay for. Am I missing something?
You don't have to pay for Connect on Apple Music.

I don't know if "sold out" even really means anything, I hate that it's format exclusive, but that's not really too different to Broken Movie being torrent only. The low quality is fucking awful, and the inability for many to access it sucks, but I don't think it's very different to being torrent only, so long as it remains free.

Ryan
08-03-2015, 05:10 AM
Docta Dray as we say it in Australia.

elevenism
08-03-2015, 05:42 AM
Docta Dray as we say it in Australia.

i always wondered if you talk like danger dolan.
katara , i think saying "selling out" shows our age (if you're my age.)

All of the younger generation's music heroes and celebs seem to do shit like this.

I don't think kids say "sold out" anymore.

katara
08-03-2015, 06:15 AM
@katara (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2232) , i think saying "selling out" shows our age (if you're my age.)

I don't think kids say "sold out" anymore.
I was completely unaware. I guess I'm old. D:

It just feels weird that TR's done the last few releases this way. They're not even on the front page of nin.com. Music streaming may be the next 'big thing', but honestly, the way Aphex Twin's been chucking his demos out on Soundcloud is much more fan-friendly. Sure, putting music up on a popular medium is a good idea, but the average person is going to want to listen to the hits, not a bunch of instrumental demos.

nooneimportant
08-03-2015, 06:32 AM
Free music is free music. He didn't have to put it out at all, but he did and it was for free and that is great. If he thinks it's a good idea, then so be it.

elevenism
08-03-2015, 07:40 AM
the average person is going to want to listen to the hits, not a bunch of instrumental demos.
i've thought about that too.
I mean, how many people are gonna sign up for this service to get access to instrumental demos?
WE are excited about them, but there can't be THAT many of us, you know?

BenAkenobi
08-03-2015, 07:52 AM
That's why I think it's on Apple-music - to gather statistics and see what's popular among this rather small specific group of people that went there for Fragile instrumentals.

m15a
08-03-2015, 11:00 AM
don't think kids say "sold out" anymore.

Oh, thank gawd. Maybe they *are* learning from the mistakes of past generations. :D

Music streaming may be the next 'big thing', but honestly, the way Aphex Twin's been chucking his demos out on Soundcloud is much more fan-friendly.

Can you explain that? What is more fan friendly about posting on soundcloud? I've done both, so I know what they're like. But I'm curious what you think makes one method much friendlier than the other.

sheepdean
08-03-2015, 11:06 AM
Can you explain that? What is more fan friendly about posting on soundcloud? I've done both, so I know what they're like. But I'm curious what you think makes one method much friendlier than the other.
The latter doesn't require an account at least? And doesn't require a third party program.

BRoswell
08-03-2015, 11:18 AM
Does anyone else feel that Trent has sold out in a big way by signing to a corporation-owned record label?

Yes. Yes I do. :p

...so yea Dr Dre is as much a member of Nine Inch Nails as aaron north or josh eustis ever was

You know, if you're going to complain about shit, you could at least try to make some SENSE.

theimage13
08-03-2015, 11:32 AM

The sun is a massive body within our solar system...and massive bodies in our solar system are the same as planets, so yeah the sun is as much a planet as Uranus.

Sorry, I was going to try to make this NIN related somehow. Well...sun....Sunspots. I love that song. The ending hits a bit too close to home for my liking though.

Dr Channard
08-03-2015, 11:44 AM

John Malm, Steve Gottlieb and Jimmy Iovine are all in NIN too, wow I never knew.

Oh, and don’t forget Gene Simmons. We can’t leave him out. According to Gene his bobblehead doll stood on the mix console when Trent was recording TDS. So that officially makes Gene in nin.

angry_sniper1990
08-03-2015, 01:15 PM
John used to play the freaking computer. The pocket calculator computer. ROFL

angry_sniper1990
08-03-2015, 01:19 PM
I have a better one: John was the operator with his pocket calculator

blassster
08-03-2015, 01:30 PM
Marilyn Manson was somehow actually Trent Reznor this whole time. So he's in NIN. Actually, Nine Inch Nails is Marilyn Manson.

https://photos-6.dropbox.com/t/2/AABmg2M1nthogoFaep70KF0FcFP8tx8TK0Y8HqM1vEccuA/12/12965440/jpeg/1024x768/3/1438632000/0/2/tpdtrent.jpg/CMCslwYgASACIAMgBCAFIAYgBygBKAI/6cBZ8mu1LDWgI6VTbCIjfdgow0-Pb1lrdzLGLgnzwvc

BRoswell
08-03-2015, 01:36 PM
I think, therefore I am in Nine Inch Nails.

angry_sniper1990
08-03-2015, 02:23 PM
Marilyn Manson was somehow actually Trent Reznor this whole time. So he's in NIN. Actually, Nine Inch Nails is Marilyn Manson.

https://photos-6.dropbox.com/t/2/AABmg2M1nthogoFaep70KF0FcFP8tx8TK0Y8HqM1vEccuA/12/12965440/jpeg/1024x768/3/1438632000/0/2/tpdtrent.jpg/CMCslwYgASACIAMgBCAFIAYgBygBKAI/6cBZ8mu1LDWgI6VTbCIjfdgow0-Pb1lrdzLGLgnzwvc

Marilyn Manson was a more politically incorrect version of NIN

sick among the pure
08-03-2015, 04:18 PM
Something something wrote Black Bomb.
Am I doing it right?

_T_B_W_
08-03-2015, 05:03 PM
I guess NIN was in Kennedy Montgomery.
Whoops, other way around.

Indefinite_Cure
08-04-2015, 01:30 AM
This is as random as it gets:

To me, my favourite album cover art of a Nine Inch Nails album is The Slip. Why, it may even be my all-time favourite album cover. It just feels so right and recognizable and brilliant and simple at the same time. I don't really know, I just really love it!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4b/The_slip_%28Nine_Inch_Nails_album%29.jpg

Ryan
08-04-2015, 02:19 AM
This is as random as it gets:

To me, my favourite album cover art of a Nine Inch Nails album is The Slip. Why, it may even be my all-time favourite album cover. It just feels so right and recognizable and brilliant and simple at the same time. I don't really know, I just really love it!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4b/The_slip_%28Nine_Inch_Nails_album%29.jpg

But what does it meannnnn?

Ryan
08-04-2015, 02:19 AM
It looks like The Presence has shrunk and is trying to stop Trent from falling over.

sheepdean
08-04-2015, 02:21 AM
But what does it meannnnn?
Trent being pulled out of his past, the red bar with digital decay representing his mind is still full of the beep and boops of WT and YZ, and Ally's arm represents the live band taking him back to the roots of the live feel.

>still think The Slip is a partial concept album of the emotions and patterns felt during a live concert.

>>could also just be pretty

nineinchnerd
08-04-2015, 03:54 AM
I think, therefore I am in Nine Inch Nails.

Trent Reznor is Nine Inch Nails. Nine Inch Nails is Trent Reznor. Bill Cosby is Nine Inch Nails.

Ryan
08-04-2015, 06:19 AM
Trent being pulled out of his past, the red bar with digital decay representing his mind is still full of the beep and boops of WT and YZ, and Ally's arm represents the live band taking him back to the roots of the live feel.

>still think The Slip is a partial concept album of the emotions and patterns felt during a live concert.

>>could also just be pretty

Now explain the artwork and the red line and ARG logo on Letting You etc and how it all makes sense!

EndlessLoveless
08-04-2015, 06:58 AM
My thoughts on the slip are that it is a somewhat concept album on the idea of what addicts call, you guessed it, the slip or relapse. It is a common theme with people in recovery that to be truly done, you need to slip. To either be sure or to say goodbye because it is like losing your best friend. Whether or not he really slipped doesnt matter. I tend to think of it as a metaphorical slip. He didnt want to slip in real life so he played it out in audio. The lyrics of 1,000,000 seem to be the triumphant return to that feeling that was lost. And the rest of the album is sort of spent deciding whether or not this is what he wants. It all ends with demon seed, the acknowledgement that he has this broken part inside of him that will never be fixed. But just knowing that is enough. It almost ends on a high note. Thats my take.

Or maybe they are just a group of songs that arent about that. I also like the album and the artwork. It was a return to the gritty harsh sounding NIN that i fell in love with.

nooneimportant
08-04-2015, 08:19 AM
It looks like The Presence has shrunk and is trying to stop Trent from falling over.

This means The Presence is a NIN member. Year Zero has taken a new turn.

angry_sniper1990
08-04-2015, 12:55 PM
And which instrument does he play?

Dr Channard
08-04-2015, 01:36 PM

I think that The Presence is more solely a hype man for nin. Being primarily a giant arm and hand The Presence is ideally suited for “raising the roof” during live performances, sometimes quite literally in venues with lower ceilings.

BRoswell
08-04-2015, 02:01 PM

The vuvuzela.

angry_sniper1990
08-04-2015, 05:14 PM
Awesome! put some vuvuzela in that survivalism remix!

nineinchnerd
08-04-2015, 05:28 PM
2013: 'Ca Ca Ca Came Back Haunted!'

2015: 'Da Da Da Disappeared Jaded!'

GlitchyFlame
08-04-2015, 07:11 PM
2013: 'Ca Ca Ca Came Back Haunted!'

2015: 'Da Da Da Disappeared Jaded!'

Ba Ba Ba Bait Post!

nooneimportant
08-05-2015, 09:36 AM
Awesome! put some vuvuzela in that survivalism remix!

A long time ago I did a "World Cup 2010 Remix" of Pinion that added Vuvuzela to the song and put it on the NIN Remix (http://remix.nin.com/) site. I have no regrets.

Halo Infinity
08-05-2015, 04:49 PM
I seem to end up visualizing and end up fantasizing about visiting London and Tokyo whenever I listen to The Fragile and Ghosts I-IV. Other Nine Inch Nails albums and songs have also done that to me in regards to those locations and other locations around the world that aren't New York City, but those two albums as a whole seem to have that kind of effect on me the most, especially when pertaining to those two specific locations whenever I think about Nine Inch Nails and traveling.

Ghosts I-IV also seems to be rather nice to listen to when relaxing with lots of coffee or tea around to drink as well. :)

nineinchnerd
08-06-2015, 11:22 PM
Come on baby Trent, give us something NEW to chew on!!!!!!!

implanted_microchip
08-06-2015, 11:56 PM
Come on baby Trent, give us something NEW to chew on!!!!!!!

We had all of The Fragile and With Teeth instrumentals like a month ago. We got three songs from The Fragile we have never heard in our lives and tons of alternate and different versions of other songs. There's a much higher quality version of Appendage available, something we've not been able to hear well in detail at all since it was relegated to cassette release. We've gotten new Gone Girl tracks and he's said there's what, three more we still haven't heard he's putting out? He's confirmed he's developing new music. Hesitation Marks apparently took at least a year to make. He's been busy with Apple Music which he's probably far less taken up with now, finished touring less than a year ago after a full year and a half or so of near ceaseless touring, he did an entire score for a two and a half hour film which is fantastic.

You might be saying, "That's not new NIN and I only like Nine Inch Nails not other things Trent does" as you so often love to, to which I have to say that it was four, nearly five years between The Slip and Hesitation Marks, and in that time period there was no touring for NIN whatsoever. It's not been that long at all since HM, and he was touring, recording another film score, and getting involved and helping develop a streaming service for one of the largest corporations on the face of the Earth. He has children and a wife who he probably really enjoys spending time with, and is apparently in the process of getting a new house considering his other one was listed on the market recently. The guy is a real, breathing man with a personal life and various different professional aspirations and drives.

What I recommend doing to help take up some of the wait time: get into reflecting in the chrome/NIN Live. Seriously. I have maybe a hundred different shows on my hard drive at this point. There's a massive amount of awesome, incredible live recordings with amazing variations from the studio editions, rehearsal audio, great rare songs and just fantastic stuff to find. You can hear and trace NIN going from Trent with a tape deck and guitar doing Purest Feeling material in a bar in New York in 1988 to being in a massive audio-visual amphitheatre band with some of the best touring musicians alive in late 2014. Check out Another Version of the Truth, an amazing fan project that put together the footage Trent gave out from LITS and put together a seemingly pro yet fan-compiled/edited DVD/blu ray. There's TDS: Live edit. There's that kickass Australia blu ray someone put together this past year, and amazing various fan edits of NIN live from its entire career available online easily and free. There's the entire fan remix side of things which has some of the best things you will ever hear available for free. @Reaps (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=761) has made some stellar stuff, as has @halo33 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=376), and it was actually a lot of their work appearing on last.fm that helped me dig into NIN when I was way younger. You'll hear versions of songs that almost ruin the studio versions for you.

And remember that if Trent takes longer to make something chances are you'll be getting a more polished, thought out project. Would you want a rushed version of The Fragile? That took apparently two years in studio and was a massive gap between TDS and TF. With Teeth would be completely different if it was made just after AATCHB. Year Zero even wasn't out until two years after WT.

Give the dude a break, be grateful for all the amazing content available, stop repeating how annoyed you are that Trent isn't doing what you want him to do all the time. Nine Inch Nails may be Trent Reznor but Trent Reznor is not Nine Inch Nails.

sheepdean
08-06-2015, 11:58 PM
baby Trent
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4063/4693069831_eee4e43dee_z.jpg

implanted_microchip
08-07-2015, 12:20 AM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4063/4693069831_eee4e43dee_z.jpg

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/983609_380092982130461_1783899461_n.jpg?oh=f065157 ac8970ad82fc03a1bdd73f959&oe=564B7976

Frozen Beach
08-07-2015, 03:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-1dWOTfdao

sheepdean
08-07-2015, 03:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-1dWOTfdao
I don't like the internet anymore

Ryan
08-07-2015, 04:38 AM
I don't like the internet anymore

I love how the audio is actually from a real show where Trent completely fucked the lyrics to Even Deeper haha

implanted_microchip
08-07-2015, 02:03 PM
That glitchy effect at the end of "finally free, and you could be" on The Wretched is one of my favorite little moments of weird electronic/distortion based sound in NIN. Just works so well, has this sort of haunting, intense effect like his own thoughts are just getting eaten alive by noise. Combined with the waving synths and the fuzzed out, distorted guitars that seem to pulsate this whole song is just like getting bathed in distortion. Love it. Everything just tearing apart at the seems.

implanted_microchip
08-07-2015, 04:09 PM
So, uh, I got carried away and wrote a long thing on The Fragile just now:

I find the second half of The Fragile to deal heavily with entering into this world you’ve been running from. At the start of the album on Somewhat Damaged, there is this very clearly broken person who has been left by someone, whether that be romantic or simply a close intimate friend or relative, and lost them when they needed them the most. They seek out a surrogate to fulfill that role, look for some sense of comfort and it’s unhealthy because it’s born out of a need to run from reality, or at least what they see reality as. But that’s not going to ultimately work, because “you can try to stop it but it keeps on coming.” (I love how Trent’s vocals get cut off at the end of The Wretched when he’s screaming “you can try to stop it but it—“ it’s such a great effect and simple yet works every listen.)You have We’re In This Together and The Fragile both dealing with this sense of saving someone else or joining with someone else and yet it’s this desperate, “We need this because I need this, I have to do this for myself, I need to save someone from my own fate” attitude. It’s very flawed.

Then on Even Deeper you have this dream of perfection, where for once in their life they feel complete, but they still want to ruin it. They see reality as this ruined, mangled thing, and where they started out that’s exactly what it was, yet here they are dreaming of this perfect world and still wanting to tear it down to where they are now. I think that really reflects how a lot of people who are depressives or going through a depressive episode feel, this sense of “Everything has been horrible before so any sense of perfection or happiness is a lie, I’ve lost things so anything gained is future pain, fuck it all, let’s get back to the bottom because it’s where we’re inevitably going to end up anyways.” You have this person realizing that their sense of perfection or comfort isn’t going to last, is imperfect and set to fail, and so they end up submerging into that dark space they’ve run from and tried to hide from. They built a wall where they could keep the ominous them on the other side, but they kept picking, and maybe this person picked a little bit too.

Everything changes after Even Deeper. The songs that express a sense of hope and opportunity for more are done. The next song is Pilgrimage, and in my mind that pilgrimage is willingly marching into that dark space they’ve been trying to hide from. There’s angry chanting and shouting like some overthrow or takeover, this ominous vibe of something horrible taking over. Then there’s No You Don’t, a song just loaded with venom. It’s the most outwardly fast-paced, aggressive and moving song on the album by this point, “You think you have everything, but no, you don’t.” After songs where for once in your life you feel complete and being a king with a queen, not letting someone fall apart, it’s pretty clear that that’s over. And maybe it’s all been a lie, a delusion to hide from the truth: that things are hopeless, that you’re still somewhat damaged, that there’s poison to your rotten core. If off the side, high and back and far away is a place where you hide and where you stay, then this is the point where you leave that place. You’re not going to crawl away from this anymore.

Trent expresses this sort of sense of false reality to mask the uglier truth and the realization of it being a construct a lot, especially on With Teeth. “I just made you up to hurt myself,” “We cover ourselves with lies, but underneath we’re not so tough, and love is not enough.” There’s this running sense of this comforting delusion that is going to end and won’t last. It’s all fragile and is bound to shatter and break in two. We’re In This Together even explicitly says as much, really: “If the world should break in two, until the very end of me, until the very end of you.” A lot of people with depression and other issues will often enter these states of seeing things as all this very specific, very horrible way, and in their mind it’s not their disease or disorder talking, it’s just them finally opening their eyes. Even if things actually were okay, in their mind they never could have been. That’s a line of thought that I think The Fragile is really built around. Here’s this person giving in to this very hostile, negative world view, where everything covers you in cuts and scratches.

The Left side ends with this almost declaration of claiming your place in this dark, hopeless and bleak world: “I descend from grace, In arms of undertow, I will take my place, In the great below.” This is where they feel they belong, this is the place made for them and they’ll inhabit it. If Left is searching for hope to avoid the broken place you’re in, and losing it, then Right is completely sinking into that world and inhabiting it, owning it and letting it entirely consume you. The Way Out Is Through practically feels like you’re caught in waves, flowing, moving, tumbling and rolling, all the while clinging to this concept of perseverance, this mantra that you’re not going to stop. On The Downward Spiral the protagonist commits suicide to escape the world they’ve found themselves sinking in. The Fragile is like what would happen if you didn’t give up, and instead went on in that headspace. There’s an invitation of darkness, a total romance and acceptance of negativity after that fight against it is lost. To quote The New Flesh, “Give it to me, I can take it.” There’s a sick delight in it. If this is all you’re really seeing in life, if this is what you perceive the world to be, then you might as well embrace it. “Tear it all down, tear it all down, tear it all down, tear it all down,” Trent chants on 10 Miles High, layers of vocals on top of one another, one sounding almost bored, disinterested, like they’re going through the motions in this pattern of self-destruction. You’re running through a cycle you’ve been through before, and as he sighs on The New Flesh, “This is how it all begins.” This is nothing new. A lot of critics bashed the album lyrically for seeming to stay in the same negative space as previous NIN material, yet that’s so clearly a focus: this shit is not stopping, and it’s exhausting, and I’m tired. “And it keeps repeating, never ever leave me; never be enough to fill me up.”

Into the Void is this clear admittance of just failing at saving yourself, almost an angry acceptance. Please has a line that I love and think really helps illustrate the whole sort of flow of the Right side of things: “All my life, yeah, yeah yeah yeah but it just left me dead, The world is over and I realize it was all in my head.” Along with “Now, everything is clear, I erase the fear,” it really fits with that whole idea of having this sense of “Oh, I’ve not been happy, I’ve just been blind, here is what the world really looks like. I finally see everything for what it really is.” (A lot like on TDS with “You know I can see what you really are” and “He sewed his eyes shut, because he is afraid to see.” Even on PHM there’s “Wrap my eyes in bandages, confessions I see through.” A lot of Trent’s lyrics seem to deal with uncovering your eyes and seeing the “truth” of things, even when that truth is maybe its own biased twisting of events.) If now you’re suddenly “seeing through the bullshit” so to speak and seeing how clearly corrupted, dark and miserable everything is, then Starfuckers is levelling that at those in your line of sight. For Trent those people would all be in show business, so you get this perception that everyone is just another narcissist, everyone is just self-serving and looking for their own fame.

Complication is a really odd song, it’s instrumental and short, features muffled, melodic screaming, a very propelling guitar line, and then completely fizzles out. And the way I see it is, all of this near-high energy that’s been gained through this dark acceptance and embrace of depression, addiction and negativity is finally coming down. There’s an almost manic high on Right, this sort of sick enjoyment, a real diseased energy that clearly cannot last. Please feels like that a lot. If there’s this manic high of reveling in your own defeat then Complication is that high spiraling out of control. It peaks completely and then dissolves, and you’re left facing your loss and real grief.
I’m Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally is one of the most knowingly personal songs Trent’s written. If TDTWWA is being at his grandmother’s funeral, this is facing that loss afterward when time has passed and he’s realized just how hard it’s hit him. The way the title is written is really important in my mind, that comma makes it feel almost like a breath of relief, saying oh, finally, I can give in and join you now. Now you’re facing your actual grief after masking it and trying to run from it by having this weird, manic period of destruction, and you’re realizing that all you’ve done escape that broken place you’re found in on Somewhat Damaged has failed. “There is no place I can go, there is no way I can hide, it feels like it keeps coming from the inside.” Trent sings and writes a lot about things being on the inside, and it’s really clear how much he’s speaking about his inner demons, addictions, depression, what have you. There’s a lot of NIN songs where the “you” is clearly himself and I’ve written before about believing that he commonly personifies his self-destructive side as a separate sort of voice, most evidenced on TDS with the machine side of the protagonist and the inner dialogue on I Do Not Want This. The Big Come Down is absolutely addressing yourself, that sort of “Hey, look, this is what we asked for, this what we strove for, to break apart completely, and here we fucking are. Don’t you like it? Isn’t it really what you want now?”

Underneath It All is a favorite of mine despite being disregarded a lot. It’s short, it’s the second to last song of a really lengthy album, it’s almost monotonous and easy to dismiss. But as the last song with vocals I think it says a lot and is really important to wrapping up the key themes of the album. It’s like a retrospective on all the behavior that came before it. After all that’s been attempted and done, after all the self-destruction and anger, substance abuse, self-medicating, clinging to empty hopes, the grief of someone you’ve lost is still there. “You remain, I am stained” are the last words spoken on the album (specifically spoken, too, rather than sang, as the distorted, haunting choir of Trent’s falsetto “All I can do, I can still feel you” completely tears at the seams in glitch and distortion beneath it). This has all been futile. You’re left Ripe (With Decay). It’s such an amazing exploration of what it is to run into delusion and end up stuck facing the reality you tried to escape from. I see this album as the one where Trent fully accepted his demons and his issues, and everything from then on has been approaching them with a sense of acceptance. Every album previous dealt with trying to pretend they weren’t there, hiding or masking them, running from them, and then With Teeth is an absolute acceptance of them. It’s a really amazing way of seeing someone grow and mature into accepting their issues and then going from there, eventually getting to the place where you deal with them, after having been fleeing from them and behaving as if they weren’t there. It’s really powerful.

Something kind of random I love about The Fragile is the mantra-esque quality of so much of the lyrics. Most songs seem to have core repeated lines. “All I’ve undergone, I will keep on.” “All I do, I can still feel you.” “I won’t let you fall apart.” “Now you know this is what it feels like.” Of course “nothing can stop me now” makes another appearance in a song both about transcendence and suicide. “Never be enough to fill me up,” “Tear it all down,” just these soft whispered mantras of comfort and these dark angry declarations of hate or intended self-destruction. Oh and also something else I find very cool is that The Frail is such a testing ground and almost summary of what happens on this record: there’s this gorgeous, sad sounding piano that’s this oddly comforting sad space that gets consumed and beaten down by this massive, dark, foreboding keyboard that then smashes and takes over, cutting it off and leading right into the next track. Isn’t that in a way what happens thematically? Goddamn I love this album.

seasonsinthesky
08-07-2015, 06:05 PM
“Burn it all down, burn it all down, burn it all down, burn it all down,” Trent chants on 10 Miles High
The lyric is actually "tear it all down." I don't think that changes your point, though.

I like that your mini-essay meanders as much as the album.

And I especially dig your point about the mantras. The Fragile is an exploration of loss. Mantras are such a go-to tool when we have to 'fake it 'til we make it.' And a hell of a lot of songs on TF are about faking, covering up, forgetting, or ignoring the loss.

So, a thing to add: What is this "big" comedown from, exactly?

It seems like the most likely candidate is whatever got the narrator "10 Miles High." But with that song missing, it changes not only what TBCD is about, but also the songs in between – one can see why both 10MH and "The New Flesh" have to be present together (or neither at all), since TNF seems to take place almost entirely in a drugged haze. So "Please," "Starfuckers" and "Complication" would all be happening in the haze as well. That obviously adds to how exaggerated SF and Comp are: this big 'rockstar, fuck you' expression seems to come out of nowhere without the setup by 10MH, so without it, no wonder so many people say SF doesn't fit the album.

WorzelG
08-08-2015, 08:26 AM
^^^is the big come down talking about the come down from being on the downward spiral tour and all the fame and excess that came with that to trying to return to 'real life'?

blassster
08-09-2015, 10:07 AM
I'm amazed that I've never known about Carre Callaway's existence and TR back story until reading stuff about her band Queen Kwong on here yesterday. If you don't have time for the video: TR was/is a mentor to her over the years, a brotherly figure, nothing romantic. Someone randomly brought her into the studio in WT era and it went from there. All the years of daily NIN obsession/consumption (that many of you have behind you too), taking in interviews, learning about people he's been associated with, etc. Maybe I've seen her name back in WT times and never followed up on her, but fuck. Buttfuck.

3m55s for NIN relationship: https://youtu.be/lv9J4d8EUik

GibbonBlack
08-09-2015, 10:24 AM
I don't understand. I only watched 3 minutes (from 3:55) but it just seems like someone talking about their friend. Does it get weird or something later on?

Sorry, I'm in a rush so can't sit through the whole thing

botley
08-09-2015, 10:38 AM
I don't understand. I only watched 3 minutes (from 3:55) but it just seems like someone talking about their friend. Does it get weird or something later on?

Sorry, I'm in a rush so can't sit through the whole thing
No, TR was (still is) a mentor to her and she opened for NIN back in 2005 as a very green solo performer. Queen Kwong rules!

jessamineny
08-09-2015, 11:48 AM
She also opened at the Palladium in 2009

botley
08-09-2015, 12:19 PM
She also opened at the Palladium in 2009

Yes, that was with the whole Queen Kwong backing band I believe (before Wes Borland joined).

elevenism
08-10-2015, 01:58 PM
As someone who has been on drugs and drunk almost to the point of dying over and over and in and out of recovery SOOOOO much, to me, the slip artwork is obvious...it's the dope creeping back up on you, sneaking up behind you.

And the big come down is about, well, drugs. Now i may be interpreting this stuff wrong, but for me, there has never, EVER been a question about these things...same with songs like please, 1,000,000, SICNH. It just screams it fucking blatantly to me. It's a thread that as always present in NIN and i think that's part of why so many of us who are in recovery (and out of it...that's usually how it goes,) REALLY relate to nin, and you hear things like "awhita teetha saved my life."

ANYWAY. as for why i came here.
Is disappointed political? Is trent talking about being disappointed with the current administration (and being "part of the reason" as an obama supporter?)
It's REALLY starting to sound like it to me. At first i thought it was one of those "meta" tracks like (the way i interpret) ticks and leeches, or Hooker with a Penis.

But now i think that it's definitely political. And if IT'S political, i think that there might be a TOUCH of it in All Time Low too.

Has anyone else considered this? Probably in the discussion thread for the song when the record came out...sorry if these are old ideas.

Oh hey @kleiner352 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4417) ... when i reviewed TF for my college newspaper in 99, i called the "mantras" nursery rhymes for the end of the world (which i THINK i paraphrased from something trent said, but still. ;) ) I REALLY wish i had a copy of that review but the cocksuckers won't give me the time of day. i REALLY pissed them off 15 years ago and if any of the same people work there, i can understand why they ignore me.

botley
08-10-2015, 05:41 PM
Is disappointed political? Is trent talking about being disappointed with the current administration (and being "part of the reason" as an obama supporter?)
It's REALLY starting to sound like it to me. At first i thought it was one of those "meta" tracks like (the way i interpret) ticks and leeches, or Hooker with a Penis.

But now i think that it's definitely political. And if IT'S political, i think that there might be a TOUCH of it in All Time Low too.

Hadn't occurred to me before to read them in that light. There's a bit of the "submission=power" dynamic, which is usually expressed in the recovery-focussed lyrics of NIN's that you mentioned as being aligned with the seductive nature of addiction. But, since TR started using those metaphors for explicitly political purposes as well (starting with "The Hand That Feeds"), all of the words since then can be read politically, I suppose. He's never really commented one way or another about the Obama administration since the election.

I honestly don't understand what Americans who supported Obama have to be disappointed about, unless they were naïve enough to actually think he was Superman.

implanted_microchip
08-10-2015, 06:29 PM
He's never really commented one way or another about the Obama administration since the election.

Almost certain around the time HM came out there was an interviewer asking him about Year Zero's concept and whatnot and Trent expressed large disappointment with feeling as though at the time he thought "Wow, I might change something here," and that when Obama was elected he felt highly optimistic and that things would improve, only for nothing to get better, and commented on the NSA/PRISM debacle as well. Really wish I could find a source but it fits really well with the idea that Satellite and Disappointed are political. elevenism you're the first person I've seen comment on Disappointed as that at all and I think that's a fantastic interpretation, even explains the live visuals a lot -- feeling that our political system is "boxed in" and stuck in a cage where nothing's gonna change.

elevenism
08-10-2015, 06:44 PM
botley, what kleiner352 said

Khrz
08-10-2015, 07:02 PM
I really read it as an evolution of the Mr Self Destruct voice : "I am the lies that you believe (and I control you)//You'd think by now you'd figure out that nothing's going to change (and I am part of the reason)

Ryan
08-10-2015, 09:02 PM
Anyone think there might be a parallel between The New Flesh and Demon Seed given the way the lyrics are printed with the same numbered verses?

botley
08-11-2015, 07:10 AM
^ The parallel is that they both use numbers.

Almost certain around the time HM came out there was an interviewer asking him about Year Zero's concept and whatnot and Trent expressed large disappointment with feeling as though at the time he thought "Wow, I might change something here," and that when Obama was elected he felt highly optimistic and that things would improve, only for nothing to get better, and commented on the NSA/PRISM debacle as well. Really wish I could find a source but it fits really well with the idea that Satellite and Disappointed are political. elevenism you're the first person I've seen comment on Disappointed as that at all and I think that's a fantastic interpretation, even explains the live visuals a lot -- feeling that our political system is "boxed in" and stuck in a cage where nothing's gonna change.

Anybody have a link to this interview?

Ryan
08-11-2015, 07:21 AM
Maybe the songs tie in together somehow maybe?

implanted_microchip
08-11-2015, 04:39 PM
^ The parallel is that they both use numbers.

Anybody have a link to this interview?
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/aug/08/the-nine-lives-of-trent-reznor

CTRL+F Obama.

"The day he was elected really felt like: 'I can't believe that just happened.' Jump ahead a few years and … I know one person can't change everything and it's the system that's broken, but the [Edward] Snowden shit that we're finding out about now, is this a surprise to anybody? But no one will do anything about it. We just had banks rip us off, bankrupt the country. Who went to jail for that? Who's accountable for that? Whatever changed about that? Nothing. [Year Zero] has come true. And nobody's doing anything about it, nobody cares. Some people speak up, but only when convenient. Complaining about it on social media isn't gonna change anything."

elevenism
08-11-2015, 11:55 PM
okay i'm gonna go out on a limb here.
I think that all time low is political too.

the first verse (i've heard all i need to know etc) is about seeing obama's policies and saying "oh shit! it's the same but even worse!"

then, "the paranoia turns to fear." This is (the narrator, like you guys always say, i just think Trent) hearing about the whole "new world order, conspiracy vibe." it's there. it's fucking nuts, but if you're paying attention, it's CREEPY. Now before you say i'm crazy on this one, remember that we are talking about the man who penned TBOTE...YZ in general, and also Letting You.

Also, the whole "get down on the floor" bit...nothing has changed. We are getting fucked. We know the drill.

This is what i get out of listening to it over and over since it came out. Paired with Satellite which is OBviouslY about NSA spying and such, i think that those songs are DEFINITELY a political treatise.

I LOVE and respect everyone else's ideas. Nearly everyone in these types of discussions hits on something profound. It's one of the great things about NIN, the ambiguity and dual meaning of the lyrics. to me, it used to be "is it about a girl or is it about dope?" Now politics are thrown in too. You guys are smart and have great ideas.

I actually think i'm right on this one though.

Halo Infinity
08-12-2015, 03:45 PM
@kleiner352 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4417) - I just found this again. I forgot that it actually even existed and thought that you might love to see this. As I ended up wondering what it would be like if an influx of "Christian Conservative Republicans" posted on Echoing the Sound like I've admitted to you before, I ended up searching for "Nine Inch Nails", "Conservative" and "Republican" on Google and then ended up finding this particular article. It really is such a good read, which is clearly no surprise as Mormolyke sure knows how to deliver. I don't really get into politics at all, but I'll admit that it sometimes interests me enough to think about or randomly read up on, even if just to get a general sense of how people's political and religious beliefs, or lack of beliefs work together or against each other.

This still occurred to me more and more, because whenever I read posts from people that admitted they were "Christian Conservative Republicans" on Facebook, in most cases, they would often seem to absolutely contradict most if not all of the views and movements discussed and expressed on ETS along with its support threads, and it seemed to safe to assume that you clearly won't really find that much of the "religious right" among NIN fans on and off the Internet. I'm still aware of exceptions and am open to them though. Whenever I think about politics, religion and Nine Inch Nails fans, they often tend to fall under "Liberal", "Democrat" and "Atheist".

Oh, and not to deny everything/anything else in between either as I'm aware that there are so many gray areas and combinations of religious views and/or political views/parties, but that still often seemed to generally be the case, even in real life, as I've also taken the time to notice that outside of ETS. This also fascinates me because I actually grew up from a Christian background, and the majority of my Christian friends, acquaintances and family in real life as I was growing up until now also lean towards the right as "Republican" and "Conservative", while being constantly inundated with those beliefs/views.

@elevenism (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475) - I thought that you'd like to check it out as well.

http://blog.melissadunphy.com/2005/05/reznor-republicans-shouldnt-be-fans.html

sheepdean
08-12-2015, 03:47 PM
@elevenism (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475) - I thought that you'd like to check it out as well.

http://blog.melissadunphy.com/2005/05/reznor-republicans-shouldnt-be-fans.html
She looks like she knows the score

elevenism
08-12-2015, 04:03 PM
She looks like she knows the score
yep, sure enough. and her name sounds familiar for some reason ;)
eversonpoe you don't agree with my interpretation of satellite/disappointed/all time low ?

eversonpoe
08-12-2015, 04:16 PM
yep, sure enough. and her name sounds familiar for some reason ;)
@eversonpoe (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=588) you don't agree with my interpretation of satellite/disappointed/all time low ?

satellite? sure. disappointed? not really, no. i think it's much more of a self-reflection. all time low? definitely not.

all time low is absolutely in the same vein as with teeth (the song), blurring the line between substance addiction and sexuality. i hear not even the slightest bit of political commentary.

(also, thank you for not freaking out about me facepalming your post and instead simply starting a discussion. i feel like we've come a long way ;p )

elevenism
08-12-2015, 04:22 PM
satellite? sure. disappointed? not really, no. i think it's much more of a self-reflection. all time low? definitely not.

all time low is absolutely in the same vein as with teeth (the song), blurring the line between substance addiction and sexuality. i hear not even the slightest bit of political commentary.

(also, thank you for not freaking out about me facepalming your post and instead simply starting a discussion. i feel like we've come a long way ;p )

maybe you're right. Maybe i'm reaching because it's what I'VE been thinking about.
I'll give you that on all time low. But i'm sticking to my guns on disappointed. I never, however, listened to it as a sexuality/substance abuse song which is strange because that's PRETTTY much how i interpret every nin song.
I think he is on some other shit now though.

As far as me freaking out when you facepalmed me that tiime.....dude...i was going through some serious shit. My wife was still my crazy violent gf, things were NOT stable, and i was, how you say...off my meds? and on meds that weren't prescribed to me?

I'm still embarrassed about it :P

OH WAIT>>> you are saying that ATL is about substance abuse.sexuality. Yeah, i hear that too. But i STILL think it might be political.

What about Disappointed? Do you take it like Hooker With A Penis by Tool?

And while we're at it, is JLYI about our expectations for the album? Like...check this out, it's just like you imagined...and the little joke is that it's NOT what we imagined?

blassster
08-12-2015, 07:11 PM
I'd like to see a movie where Trent and Atticus play a major role as bank robbers doing a heist.

sheepdean
08-13-2015, 04:38 AM
I'd like to see a movie where Trent and Atticus play a major role as bank robbers doing a heist.
A feature length remake of Rihanna and Shy Ronnie?

nooneimportant
08-13-2015, 07:43 AM
I've been listening to a little bit of music from the Silent Hill video games and I realized it had to be inspired by NIN.

virushopper
08-15-2015, 06:51 PM
I'm glad Trent isn't touring right now cause if he did I would be more in debt as now I am a graduate student.

Dr Channard
08-19-2015, 12:17 AM
I've been listening to a little bit of music from the Silent Hill video games and I realized it had to be inspired by NIN.

Silent Hill wouldn’t be Silent Hill without Akira Yamaoka and his soundtracks. Daniel Licht wasn’t bad but I would have picked Trent as the only person who could have come close to replacing Akira on a Silent Hill soundtrack. And how in the hell Korn managed to worm their way onto that last game, I’m still trying to figure that one out?

Ryan
08-19-2015, 04:14 AM
Why do NIN fans come across as more intelligent and more informed than most, if not all, other band fan bases?

WorzelG
08-19-2015, 04:22 AM
^^^were you around in 2009?
Although the most obsessive and weird fan base I've ever come across has to be Gary Numans!

Ryan
08-19-2015, 07:09 AM
^^^were you around in 2009?
Although the most obsessive and weird fan base I've ever come across has to be Gary Numans!

Nah, Morrissey's are far worse, and I'm a huge fan of both he and Gary.

And yes I've been around for ages, why 2009?

WorzelG
08-19-2015, 07:34 AM
Nah, Morrissey's are far worse, and I'm a huge fan of both he and Gary.

And yes I've been around for ages, why 2009?
2009 because of the whole twitter trolling business from some less stable elements of the fanbase!

hmm, not sure about Morrissey - but maybe the perception of fanbases changes depending where you're from? Do Morrissey fans wear Mozza quiffs in the same way fans of GN try and style their hair in a kind of weave ? (styling in a quiff is at least emulating someone's real hair). To be fair I'm judging the GN fanbase from kind of the 1990s rather than recently. I think he put off a lot of people by going a bit too industrial

Microwave Jellyfish
08-19-2015, 09:00 AM
Why do NIN fans come across as more intelligent and more informed than most, if not all, other band fan bases?
We're all extremely self- and image conscious, and while we secretly enjoy being different than the majority, it comes with serious hunger for approval.

seasonsinthesky
08-19-2015, 03:32 PM

I really think TR's story of sobriety and overcoming addiction has brought a lot of people in who are inspired by that 'redemption arc'. Also, a lot of people probably regard NIN with higher esteem than some contemporaries, just because TR has gone from crazy keyboard smasher to award-winning soundtrack composer.

And thus the fanbase avoids Tool's problem, which is all the burnouts. Both bands get their share of "bro" casual fans that fill seats, but Tool has a serious affliction in terms of the message (which is great) being diluted by the very sheepish stupidity they've railed against from the beginning.

Cruise a Tool group on Facebook sometime. You'll see what I mean.

Ryan
08-19-2015, 10:10 PM
All good points. Also, Trent is always ahead of the curb and all about innovation (see: Apple Music, release of The Slip, etc). It feels like a lot of the fans take after Trent in that way. We're also quite eloquent, like he is (most of us, anyway).

Ryan
08-19-2015, 10:14 PM
2009 because of the whole twitter trolling business from some less stable elements of the fanbase!

hmm, not sure about Morrissey - but maybe the perception of fanbases changes depending where you're from? Do Morrissey fans wear Mozza quiffs in the same way fans of GN try and style their hair in a kind of weave ? (styling in a quiff is at least emulating someone's real hair). To be fair I'm judging the GN fanbase from kind of the 1990s rather than recently. I think he put off a lot of people by going a bit too industrial

I suppose some do. Randomly, here is Moz juggling oranges from two nights ago.

https://i.imgflip.com/psk2g.gif

Dr Channard
08-19-2015, 11:37 PM

You might not want me in your collective nin fandom IQ pool. I certainly aint one of these so called learned peoples you speak of. Book learnin’ aint for folk like myself, it’s for those whatdoyacallem……. oh yeah, achievers. Middle school education right here my peeps. How’s that for a sheepskin on the old wall?

Am I still allowed to be a nin fan? :(

Ryan
08-19-2015, 11:50 PM
You might not want me in your collective nin fandom IQ pool. I certainly aint one of these so called learned peoples you speak of. Book learnin’ aint for folk like myself, it’s for those whatdoyacallem……. oh yeah, achievers. Middle school education right here my peeps. How’s that for a sheepskin on the old wall?

Yes, only because of your username.

Jon
08-20-2015, 07:59 AM

Are you a Republican?

Dr Channard
08-20-2015, 09:26 AM
Are you a Republican?

Is it time to break down the nin fan demographic to reds and blues? I don’t own enough oil to be a republican and I don’t smoke enough weed to be a democrat. I’m just a poor plebeian-level nin fan, floating along.

sheepdean
08-20-2015, 09:32 AM
Is it time to break down the nin fan demographic to reds and blues? I don’t own enough oil to be a republican and I don’t smoke enough weed to be a democrat. I’m just a poor plebeian-level nin fan, floating along.
The world isn't black and white (or red and blue) anyway. Just as long as your favourite band is Option 30, ETS is home

Microwave Jellyfish
08-20-2015, 09:44 AM
It's not up to us, up to us, to decide.

Dr Channard
08-20-2015, 09:48 AM
It's not up to us, up to us, to decide.

Dear god! Are you telling me that my time here at ets is tick tick ticking away?

Microwave Jellyfish
08-20-2015, 03:20 PM
Dear god!
I don't think you can last here.

Wolfkiller
08-20-2015, 03:30 PM
Good luck survivalisming here.

GibbonBlack
08-20-2015, 04:38 PM
here is Moz juggling oranges from two nights ago.

https://i.imgflip.com/psk2g.gif

That ain't juggling.

I suppose I have to work in some Nine Inch Nails reference here so I don't get the chain you've all been doing Broken.

Dr Channard
08-20-2015, 06:09 PM
That ain't juggling.

I suppose I have to work in some Nine Inch Nails reference here so I don't get the chain you've all been doing Broken.

No, you're fine. This isn't meant to last this is for right now.

eversonpoe
08-20-2015, 10:15 PM
help me, i am in hell

did i do it right? ;)

Halo Infinity
08-20-2015, 11:39 PM
No, you're fine. This isn't meant to last this is for right now.
That may be so, but why does this get all the love in the world?

Dr Channard
08-21-2015, 12:12 AM
That may be so, but why does this get all the love in the world?

The activity in this thread right now is admissible evidence that we’ve hit an all time low here at ets.

Halo Infinity
08-21-2015, 12:36 AM
In that case, I suppose that it's sometimes quite the trip into the void as you'll eventually end up down in it. However, I can certainly see how all the flesh and all the sin still manages to please us from time to time anyway. If not, we either just get disappointed and/or reach the state of non-entity.

Anyway, with what you said in mind, I tried, but I gave up while I'm still here. :p

BenAkenobi
08-21-2015, 12:36 AM
Relax, none of this really matters anymore.

Dr Channard
08-21-2015, 08:26 AM
You’re right, it shouldn’t matter. But, well I think I'm gonna push it as far as it will go, because this is the only time I really feel alive.

GibbonBlack
08-21-2015, 08:45 AM
Gave Up...

cahernandez
08-21-2015, 09:02 AM
Almost ten years later, I think it's super fitting to re-live this Meathead's cartoon: http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/html/cartoon024.htm

(wow...10 years! The With Teeth tour kinda seems like it happened yesterday)

Ryan
08-21-2015, 09:32 AM
In that case, I suppose that it's sometimes quite the trip into the void as you'll eventually end up down in it. However, I can certainly see how all the flesh and all the sin still manages to please us from time to time anyway. If not, we either just get disappointed and/or reach the state of non-entity.

Anyway, with what you said in mind, I tried, but I gave up while I'm still here. :p

While you're still here, do you know what you are? Please, underneath it all you're just getting smaller and gave up only to realize it's all right where it belongs. Only, what if we could? I feel, just like you imagined, we have reached a point where, in even deeper parts of your mind, you really just want to wave goodbye and sin with that big man with a gun in a warm place with new flesh. You're wretched, fragile, and ripe with decay. Sure, we're in this together, but is your love strong enough? Do you get all the love in the world? No, you don't. But you survived everything.

Halo Infinity
08-21-2015, 09:34 AM
Speaking of Meathead, these posts of Nine Inch Nails song titles and lyrics reminded me of this article of his where he mentions incorporating quotes from The Fragile in day-to-day conversation.

http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/html/mp991103.htm

With that being said, I realized it was all in my head, and unfortunately as for my words in certain cases, they don't sound as good outside my head. And as a result regarding my overall feelings as state of mind it's as if it looks as though the past is here to stay. I've become a millions miles away. :p

@Ryan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=67) - I actually didn't notice your post at first, but that really was a good one. Can I offer you a towel in exchange? Thanks man. ;)

Ryan
08-21-2015, 09:36 AM
The 7,393 of us are dying.

Ryan
08-21-2015, 09:42 AM
Speaking of Meathead, these posts of Nine Inch Nails song titles and lyrics reminded me of this article of his where he mentions incorporating quotes from The Fragile in day-to-day conversation.

http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/html/mp991103.htm

With that being said, I realized it was all in my head, and unfortunately as for my words in certain cases, they don't sound as good outside my head. And as a result regarding my overall feelings as state of mind it's as if it looks as though the past is here to stay. I've become a millions miles away. :p

@Ryan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=67) - I actually didn't notice your post at first, but that really was a good one. Can I offer you a towel in exchange? Thanks man. ;)

I was doing a poo when I typed it and forced myself to be as creative as possible haha

Halo Infinity
08-21-2015, 09:48 AM
A combination of "What?" and "LOL" ensued. Oh well. At least it somehow worked. Now you just reminded me of Pinion, the other great below. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfW0ke4bwI4

fillow
08-21-2015, 10:04 AM
We totally missed a 10th anniversary of Trent cutting his hair short.

http://www.nin.wiki/images/5/51/8_11_05.jpg

Dr Channard
08-21-2015, 10:14 AM
I was doing a poo when I typed it and forced myself to be as creative as possible haha

As you flushed the poo away did you wave goodbye, wish it well? Did you have enough tp for the origin of the feces?

Wait, did I just crossover into type o negative there?

Ryan
08-21-2015, 03:59 PM
A combination of "What?" and "LOL" ensued. Oh well. At least it somehow worked. Now you just reminded me of Pinion, the other great below. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfW0ke4bwI4

the other great below... lmao

elevenism
08-22-2015, 03:57 PM
The world isn't black and white (or red and blue) anyway. Just as long as your favourite band is Option 30, ETS is home

Jesus Christ you fuckers crack me up

Ruined
08-23-2015, 11:56 PM
Since the San Francisco 49ers now have a player with the last name Pinion, they need to play "Pinion" whenever he does the kick-off for the team (and yes, teams play music during kick-off).

Dr Channard
08-24-2015, 12:17 AM
Since the San Francisco 49ers now have a player with the last name Pinion, they need to play "Pinion" whenever he does the kick-off for the team (and yes, teams play music during kick-off).

Yes!

Oh, if I have a Reznor home heater unit, do I get to blast some nin every time it kicks on?

implanted_microchip
08-24-2015, 06:23 AM
I still haven't had anything give me such a "Wow, I've never heard anything like this before and it's the most amazing, textured thing" since the first time I heard the instrumental stretch of Closer. Every time I put TDS on it still just floors me with how dense, interesting and just remarkable that part is. It's a sound that I feel like I can reach out and run my hand across the surface of if that makes any sense.

The harp on The Downward Spiral always genuinely unsettles me.

eversonpoe
08-24-2015, 07:45 AM
I still haven't had anything give me such a "Wow, I've never heard anything like this before and it's the most amazing, textured thing" since the first time I heard the instrumental stretch of Closer. Every time I put TDS on it still just floors me with how dense, interesting and just remarkable that part is. It's a sound that I feel like I can reach out and run my hand across the surface of if that makes any sense.

that's why i miss them playing that part live : /

The harp on The Downward Spiral always genuinely unsettles me.

i don't think i'd ever placed that as a harp. always thought it was an acoustic guitar.

implanted_microchip
08-24-2015, 07:53 AM
that's why i miss them playing that part live : /

i don't think i'd ever placed that as a harp. always thought it was an acoustic guitar.

At roughly 2:05 on TDS I swear that's a harp. Could totally be wrong.

I'd love to see the full album version of Closer done live; I really loved ToT breakdown both times I saw it but it would be something else to hear that full piece, and at this point you'd figure they've been doing ToT version for so long now that it'd in a way make it fresh to play again.

botley
08-24-2015, 08:13 AM
At roughly 2:05 on TDS I swear that's a harp. Could totally be wrong.
There's a sample of orchestral score from an unknown movie there, I think you're right that a harpist is playing in it.

I'd love to see the full album version of Closer done live; I really loved ToT breakdown both times I saw it but it would be something else to hear that full piece, and at this point you'd figure they've been doing ToT version for so long now that it'd in a way make it fresh to play again.
If any existing NIN live lineup could really pull the album version off it'd be Tension 2013 — you'd need at least three keyboards plus guitar, bass and drums. I know TR stuck a bit of "Closer" into the finale of "All Time Low" live, but the point stands.

fillow
08-24-2015, 10:09 AM
In Self Destruct/Fragility tours Danny played bass only during chorus, I think. So it's really 3 keyboards + guitar + drums for the final jam. 3 keyboards can be easily reduced to 2 with some backing tape trickery (or even without it), so the real conclusion is that any recent lineup could've played it. If TR wanted them to, that is.

sheepdean
08-24-2015, 05:04 PM
Next week, it's a year since NIN last played live. Perfect time for something Tension BD related?

(note: the site has been down for a while http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/ )

BRoswell
08-24-2015, 06:33 PM
Next week, it's a year since NIN last played live. Perfect time for something Tension BD related?

It's never coming out!

(inb4 Bill)

implanted_microchip
08-25-2015, 04:11 AM
Considering Rammstein is just now releasing a concert blu-ray they filmed five years ago I think it's safe to say that Tension is just in a state of "who the fuck knows."

I probably listen to With Teeth way too much lately. Is it bad to play an album at least twice a day?

Vertigo
08-25-2015, 04:17 AM
Yes, it is. If you play Hand That Feeds three times in front of a mirror, John Malm will appear and run off with your money.

danzo_rezno
08-25-2015, 05:35 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else think Where is Everybody is a fucking awesome song! :D

Microwave Jellyfish
08-25-2015, 12:53 PM
Yes, it is. If you play Hand That Feeds three times in front of a mirror, John Malm will appear and run off with your money.
The Meathead version is my go-to costume test montage song, to be fair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fhiXw4wIyo

Edit: OK, I just had an amazing Meathead-related experience. I'm digging through Air's discography, Casanova 70 came up a few minutes ago and... oh shit, I know this, it's the studio background loop in Rough Mix Madness! You know, the "I Likes Dudes" episode. It was totally unexpected - no idea if Meathead ever released some kind of soundtrack list, I haven't encountered one - and I probably woke up a few people with my sudden laughter. Couldn't help it.

Enjoying Air very much BTW.

Halo Infinity
08-25-2015, 06:33 PM
I don't think I've seen these pictures of Trent Reznor before, or it's just been quite a while since I've last seen them and just forgot about them. I found them on Tumblr.

Anyway, I've always liked this hairstyle of his and also found it very nice to see him enjoying a can of Mountain Dew, as it was pleasant to see my favorite musician of all time enjoying one of my favorite sodas of all time. :)

I also had them resized for ETS, but if you'd like to see them as they are from the actual Tumblr account, you can find them right here at the following URLs.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/144862c3f60711373471a3eec062e4d2/tumblr_ndvqbhYcU81qf1qxno2_1280.jpg

https://41.media.tumblr.com/94803dba410e967ca1391fcd53a550af/tumblr_ndvqbhYcU81qf1qxno1_1280.jpg

http://trentreznorappreciation.tumblr.com/

And roughly 14-15 years later, Trent mentions Mountain Dew on an interview about The Social Network.

http://mashable.com/2010/09/27/trent-reznor-interview/

http://s9.postimg.org/ernnpiu73/Nine_Inch_Nails_Trent_Reznor_Mountain_Dew.jpg

http://s29.postimg.org/y5wja8bfb/Nine_Inch_Nails_Trent_Reznor_Mountain_Dew.jpg

danzo_rezno
08-26-2015, 05:46 PM
Awh he looks quite cute there actually!

Dr Channard
08-26-2015, 10:14 PM
Young Trent, so full of vim and vigor. In those fledgling years the lad and his works were practically defined by his happy-go-lucky outlook on life.

placepinion
08-26-2015, 11:30 PM
I wonder if Trent is being really inspired by The Fragile right now... Seems like we've seen a lot of The Fragile from his end in the past few months. First, with that Batman game ad and of course the instrumental release of the album through Apple music. He must really be thinking about that album, maybe even crafting his new endeavors with fragile-inspiration. Just a thought that came to mind. : )

mauro995
08-27-2015, 05:59 AM
I have not found on youtube any remastered version of The Downward Spiral, so I just upload it, it's basically a rip in stereo from the 5.1 mix launched in 2004. Logically with stereo audio it loses surround sound but as it is a different mix there are still many elements present that in the original version of the album you could barely hear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFeeBnC47Ew

eversonpoe
08-27-2015, 08:41 AM
I have not found on youtube any remastered version of The Downward Spiral, so I just upload it, it's basically a rip in stereo from the 5.1 mix launched in 2004. Logically with stereo audio it loses surround sound but as it is a different mix there are still many elements present that in the original version of the album you could barely hear

why wouldn't you just upload the stereo mix that's on the CD? if you upload just the left & right from the 5.1 mix, you're going to be missing a TON of audio, not to mention a good deal of the low end (though that doesn't matter as much since most people listen to youtube videos on laptop speakers).

Khrz
08-27-2015, 08:51 AM
why wouldn't you just upload the stereo mix that's on the CD? if you upload just the left & right from the 5.1 mix, you're going to be missing a TON of audio, not to mention a good deal of the low end (though that doesn't matter as much since most people listen to youtube videos on laptop speakers).

I can't count the number of times, back in 94, when I have listened to TDS while unplugging the headphones ever so slightly, just to hear sounds that were otherwise relegated to the background or drowned in the noise. I guess the approach is similar here, nobody's pretending it's a proper way to listen to the album, just a mean to perceive details that would otherwise be barely noticeable...

mauro995
08-27-2015, 09:15 AM
I can't count the number of times, back in 94, when I have listened to TDS while unplugging the headphones ever so slightly, just to hear sounds that were otherwise relegated to the background or drowned in the noise. I guess the approach is similar here, nobody's pretending it's a proper way to listen to the album, just a mean to perceive details that would otherwise be barely noticeable...
That's exactly the point. The stereo mix of the CD is totaly diferent to the 5.1 mix, but unfortunately not everybody has a surround sound system. The proper ways to listen to this album are the original mix and the 5.1 mix in my opinion, but for the ones that can't listen to the second one this upload might be an interesting listen.

Microwave Jellyfish
08-27-2015, 12:15 PM
a mean to perceive details that would otherwise be barely noticeable...
It works very well for that.

Thanks, mauro!

Deepvoid
08-27-2015, 12:16 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/q5lv7.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/q5lv7)

seasonsinthesky
08-27-2015, 02:03 PM

It's not the FL&R, it's a downmix of every channel. Back and center seem to be down -3dB like conversion algorithms usually do for you automatically.

gorast
08-27-2015, 02:25 PM
Been a couple months since someone brought up the Tension blu-ray.

sheepdean
08-27-2015, 02:27 PM
Been a couple months since someone brought up the Tension blu-ray.

Been literally 3 days

Deepvoid
08-27-2015, 02:41 PM
Been literally 3 days

Monday will mark the 1-year anniversary of that Instagram post announcing the video release.

eversonpoe
08-27-2015, 04:32 PM
It's not the FL&R, it's a downmix of every channel. Back and center seem to be down -3dB like conversion algorithms usually do for you automatically.

oh, interesting. i wonder if that would cause any kind of phase discrepancies.

Leviathant
08-27-2015, 04:42 PM

Mixing of channels aside, Big Man With A Gun is significantly different in the 5.1 mix - as in, parts were re-recorded, notably different from the original mix, with the end result feeling a lot more visceral, in my opinion.

seasonsinthesky
08-27-2015, 05:40 PM
oh, interesting. i wonder if that would cause any kind of phase discrepancies.

Typically, I'm sure that's a yes, but the TDS mix is so incredibly separated — the right way to mix surround music, imo — that there wouldn't be a whole lot of problems. The audio formats supporting surround channels interleave the samples so their timing is locked; this only changes when routing through your realworld playback system, which adjusts volume and time discrepancies when you (properly) set the speaker distances in the settings, or just let the little microphone set it for you. And that's only upon playback.

Ryan
08-27-2015, 05:43 PM
Mixing of channels aside, Big Man With A Gun is significantly different in the 5.1 mix - as in, parts were re-recorded, notably different from the original mix, with the end result feeling a lot more visceral, in my opinion.

Reading this just got me thinking about the lyrics to the song. I wonder where Trent was when he wrote them?

i am a big man, yes i am
and i have a big gun
GOT ME A BIG OL DICK
and i like to have fun
held against your forehead
i'll make you suck it
maybe i'll put a hole in your head
you know, just for the fuck of it
i can reduce you, if i want, i can devour
i'm hard as fucking steel and i've got the power
i'm every inch a man, and i'll show you somehow
me and my fucking gun, nothing can stop me now
shoot, shoot, shoot, i'm gonna cum all over you.

Harry Seaward
08-27-2015, 06:04 PM
Reading this just got me thinking about the lyrics to the song. I wonder where Trent was when he wrote them?

Probably in some sort of red robe.

Ryan
08-27-2015, 06:07 PM
Probably in some sort of red robe.

You're probably dead on.

bryan_NIN65
08-27-2015, 11:29 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else think Where is Everybody is a fucking awesome song! :D

Yes it is !!!

danzo_rezno
08-28-2015, 11:12 AM

I think some of the speakers on their own ripped from the 5.1 are fascinating!

Give these a goo... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cfhgvykhx8kmpb7/AAArqjRdwrGt1BPsxuTuaI3va?dl=0

danzo_rezno
08-28-2015, 11:14 AM
Yes it is !!!

...and Please, and Everything, and That's What I Get, the only Nin song I actually dislike in any way or hate (HATE) is Getting Smaller,
even the title is shit, sounds like he's got erection problems

sheepdean
08-28-2015, 12:22 PM
Hey, and that's ok

EndlessLoveless
08-28-2015, 03:49 PM
With Big man... you either love it or hate it. Its one of those songs that just jumps out at you. Its not a slow burner like reptile and its not one of those songs that you need to listen to a hundred times to appreciate. Ive always liked it even though the lyrics are a little cringeworthy. But the vocal delivery, drums, guitars and synths are quintessential mid 90's aggressive NIN. A time and place that was one of a kind.

Dr Channard
08-28-2015, 11:22 PM

i am a big man, yes i am
and i have a big gun
GOT ME A BIG OL DICK
and i like to have fun
held against your forehead
i'll make you suck it
maybe i'll put a hole in your head
you know, just for the fuck of it
i can reduce you, if i want, i can devour
i'm hard as fucking steel and i've got the power
i'm every inch a man, and i'll show you somehow
me and my fucking gun, nothing can stop me now
shoot, shoot, shoot, i'm gonna cum all over you.

I’d kind of like to think that Trent was just standing there, minding his own business, ironing his socks, maybe with Gilligan's Island on TV in the background, when out of the blue the lyrical epiphany hit!

Ryan
08-28-2015, 11:32 PM
Hey, and that's ok

Maybe his arms are flip flop flip flop flip because he's trying to wank, but nothing happens and he means the head of his dick is on a spring and just keeps flopping instead of staying erect.

BenAkenobi
08-29-2015, 01:38 AM
If Ryan was half obnoxious he is, he'd still be twice of what we need

Ryan
08-29-2015, 01:44 AM
If Ryan was half obnoxious he is, he'd still be twice of what we need

You just lead me and I follow, anything you ask, you know I'll poo

mauro995
08-29-2015, 06:52 AM
I think some of the speakers on their own ripped from the 5.1 are fascinating!

Give these a goo... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cfhgvykhx8kmpb7/AAArqjRdwrGt1BPsxuTuaI3va?dl=0

With this kind of things is easier to realize that NIN's music is completely dominated by the electronic sounds and synthesizers in a unique way. The number of layers of sound in TDS is incredible and makes you discover new sounds with each listen.

Callahan
08-29-2015, 07:17 PM
Is there a rip of the 5.1 audio separated into their individual channels for each song? Those clips above are really cool, But I'd be interested to hear each individual channel in it's whole length, to see how the sounds are spread out through each song.

seasonsinthesky
08-29-2015, 08:43 PM
It's not really mixed that way. If you're going to separate anything, the front L&R and back L&R should be treated as stereo pairs. The center and LFE channels are definitely their own things, though, with the LFE far more active than the center (which is mostly used for the surround panning and reverb).

danzo_rezno
08-30-2015, 04:42 AM
Is there a rip of the 5.1 audio separated into their individual channels for each song? Those clips above are really cool, But I'd be interested to hear each individual channel in it's whole length, to see how the sounds are spread out through each song.

I was in the middle of ripping every channel, every track, but my disk drive started eating my cds so...

The second I fix it I'll put it up and let you know

otnavuskire
08-30-2015, 07:09 AM
Trent deleted all of his tweets except for one retweet of Mariqueen. Wonder what that's all about.

https://twitter.com/trent_reznor

sheepdean
08-30-2015, 07:19 AM
Trent deleted all of his tweets except for one retweet of Mariqueen. Wonder what that's all about.

Well ... if Trent's erased everything but a HTDA reference ... maybe we can be hopeful and say that means HTDA is soon

Or one of the kids got hold of his phone.

placepinion
08-30-2015, 09:22 AM

I asked the exact same thing in 'Questions' last night. Strange indeed.

WorzelG
08-30-2015, 09:23 AM

Trent's doing a the 1975!
http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2015/jun/02/the-1975-their-disappearance-was-a-stunt-yes-but-it-was-brilliant

Unless you get an app or someone to do it, its actually a lot of effort to delete all your tweets isn't it?, must be a reason unless its a twitter fuck up.

sheepdean
08-30-2015, 09:56 AM
Trent's doing a the 1975!
http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2015/jun/02/the-1975-their-disappearance-was-a-stunt-yes-but-it-was-brilliant

Unless you get an app or someone to do it, its actually a lot of effort to delete all your tweets isn't it?, must be a reason unless its a twitter fuck up.
It's fairly easy to mass delete with twitter management apps

WorzelG
08-30-2015, 11:18 AM
Well ... if Trent's erased everything but a HTDA reference ... maybe we can be hopeful and say that means HTDA is soon

I'm loving welcome oblivion at the moment so the prospect of htda is very exciting (although UK show(s) this time plz). Anyway don't want to get my hopes up

sheepdean
08-30-2015, 11:41 AM
So Tension's page doesn't work, Trent's page is wiped and there's been no music releases for like, a few weeks. ARG?

sweeterthan
08-30-2015, 12:22 PM
There's also office drama: http://news.yahoo.com/key-apple-music-exec-steps-down-152126891.html

WorzelG
08-30-2015, 12:30 PM
So Tension's page doesn't work, Trent's page is wiped and there's been no music releases for like, a few weeks. ARG?
Beat me to it - what about that stuff Mark Romanek was working on? HTDA video? Aagh, stop me

Substance242
08-30-2015, 01:59 PM
I just hope/believe Trent is OK.

placepinion
08-30-2015, 02:01 PM
I just hope/believe Trent is OK.

LOL! I didn't know deleting tweets was cause for concern.

BRoswell
08-30-2015, 02:05 PM
Considering his love/hate relationship with Twitter, this isn't really surprising.

placepinion
08-30-2015, 02:09 PM
Considering his love/hate relationship with Twitter, this isn't really surprising.

He's pretty much non-existent on Facebook as well, and we know how he feels about that one.

placepinion
08-30-2015, 11:01 PM
That 1 HTDA tweet on his twitter page really reads like some sort of bizarre forewarning. Is HTDA ready to kick us in the nuts?

elevenism
08-30-2015, 11:48 PM

what if it was the culmination of an argument.

"There, goddamnit. Are you happy now?"

;)

sheepdean
08-31-2015, 08:13 AM
That 1 HTDA tweet on his twitter page really reads like some sort of bizarre forewarning. Is HTDA ready to kick us in the nuts?
With their big black boots?

theimage13
08-31-2015, 08:39 AM
He's pretty much non-existent on Facebook as well, and we know how he feels about that one.

We do? I don't. Was this a big thing or something?

Frozen Beach
08-31-2015, 10:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gYBXRwsDjY
Trent should hire this guy for a music video or something. Some of his videos are pretty disturbing.

Callahan
08-31-2015, 10:50 AM
I was in the middle of ripping every channel, every track, but my disk drive started eating my cds so...

The second I fix it I'll put it up and let you know

Awesome! looking forward to it!

placepinion
09-01-2015, 12:54 AM
My gut's telling me Trent is indeed writing material for that Fight Club musical. I could be totally wrong, but when you see that now Thom Yorke and David Bowie are involved in scoring musicals, it certainly looks like some sort of unspoken trend is emerging in the world of music. Maybe it's the hip thing to do nowadays.

Ryan
09-01-2015, 03:10 PM
Ever have one of those moments where a NIN lyric that you've heard plenty of times before suddenly strikes you and it makes you think "geeze, that's actually really well written"?

Happened to me just now with 'wrap my eyes in bandages, confessions I see through'.

Ryan
09-01-2015, 03:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gYBXRwsDjY
Trent should hire this guy for a music video or something. Some of his videos are pretty disturbing.

That thumbnail looks like Atticus Ross melting.

FernandoDante
09-01-2015, 04:01 PM
...and Please, and Everything, and That's What I Get, the only Nin song I actually dislike in any way or hate (HATE) is Getting Smaller,
I didn't think it was possible to have a song ruined twice. First I thought of flip flops, now I think of a limp dick.

danzo_rezno
09-02-2015, 02:28 PM
I didn't think it was possible to have a song ruined twice. First I thought of flip flops, now I think of a limp dick.

I'm sorry... did you use to like Getting Smaller? lol

m15a
09-02-2015, 11:33 PM
I'm sorry... did you use to like Getting Smaller? lol

. . . I like Getting Smaller

botley
09-03-2015, 01:28 AM
. . . I like Getting Smaller
And that's okay!

jmtd
09-03-2015, 03:33 AM
LOL! I didn't know deleting tweets was cause for concern.

In an ideal world I'd have a rolling window of 100 or 1000 tweets and software would auto-delete older ones outside that window. The conversation is over, all they'll do is bite me on the arse otherwise.

Hazekiah
09-03-2015, 04:32 AM
Waitaminit. Did people ever actually NOT think about about limp dicks during "Getting Smaller"...?

I mean, there's a pretty blatant element of inefficacy/uselessness couched in homoerotic terminology there. It's so undeniable it's difficult to imagine it wasn't deliberately intentional.

I mean, we ARE talking about the same guy who named his band NINE INCH NAILS, spent his big interview with the men's magazine "Details" talking about making out with his dog and blowing guys, and who's played a song about not even being able to get it up while slathered in vasoline with a burning hot hole right in front of him at every show for twenty years, ffslol.

Jesus, the companion piece for the e.p. named after his e.d. is even called FIXED, people!

"Big Man with a Gun," etc., etc., etc.

Figure it out already.

:P

GibbonBlack
09-03-2015, 07:48 AM
I thought it was about his celebrity

Halo Infinity
09-03-2015, 09:11 AM
I can definitely relate to that as well so I could understand why that might be. Perhaps he just wants to start all over, yet keep the same exact Twitter account in tact. I've also been on and off with social media so many times, especially with Facebook and Twitter as of late. It also reminds me of the following lyrics from Wish and The Big Come Down.

"I built it up now I take it apart. Climbed up real high, now fall down real far."

"Try so hard to make the pieces all fit. Smash it apart just for the fuck of it."

A truly extensive/intense love/hate relationship with Twitter or social media in general will eventually/inevitably do it to you, perhaps to some at a much greater/more frequent level/occurrence than others.

-I'm sorry, I was just reminded of that yet again, but a bit late, as I should've posted that sooner.-

Perhaps it's my fondness of hearing and seeing music on tape sometimes, as I still seem to enjoy this video of Came Back Haunted in spite of its actual music video. I also think it's because the circular spinning makes me think of something coming back in the case of things going around and coming around, hence the vicious cycle that is came back haunted.

And now, it makes me imagine how it would've also come across if they made it look like the tape player turned itself on, played itself, stopped itself and then turned itself off as a play on the word haunted. Anyway, I just thought of watching it again, as Hesitation Marks just turned 2 today. I'm still going to ballpark the next album within the next one to three years. We'd be very lucky for an early 2016 release though, but it seems more likely at this rate to have a new album getting released around early 2017 to late 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgwrxcO48N8

danzo_rezno
09-03-2015, 04:32 PM
Bahahahaha

...sorry, it was the font size

Hazekiah
09-04-2015, 03:21 AM
I thought it was about his celebrity

I guess I thought I pretty much said that already?

Yeah, I guess "inefficacy/uselessness" was MAYBE a bit too vague...but we ARE talking about the same album Reznor promoted by CONSTANTLY second-guessing and doubting his place in the musical climate of '05, right? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but he mentioned about a THOUSAND times how uncertain he was about Mr. Concept Album transitioning successfully into the age of disposable, single-song downloads, etc. Hence, "Big Man with a Gun" becomes "Getting Smaller" and the sprawling, double-album eccentricity of The Fragile becomes the collection of catchy, radio-friendly songs which is With Teeth. I mean, he DID pretty much say that, didn't he?

And are we just overlooking the fact that this very same statement came preceded by lyrics like "she comes on strong, it makes you hard, you finally found the place where you belong; with teeth" and "I'm trying to fit it all inside, I'm trying to open my mouth wide, I'm trying not to choke inside, I am a big boy and I will swallow it all, swallow it all, swallow it all, swallow it all"...?!?

LOL. I mean, just sayin'!!!

It seemed clear enough to me that he was relating his potential irrelevance to the current musical scene in terms of his vitality and/or mpotence, which is basically a motif spanning his entire career.Curious to hear wtf eversonpoe was thinking facepalming one statement and liking another saying basically the same thing, btw.

No biggie, though! Just a friendly conversation here.

;)

eversonpoe
09-04-2015, 07:46 AM
I guess I thought I pretty much said that already?

Yeah, I guess "inefficacy/uselessness" was MAYBE a bit too vague...but we ARE talking about the same album Reznor promoted by CONSTANTLY second-guessing and doubting his place in the musical climate of '05, right? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but he mentioned about a THOUSAND times how uncertain he was about Mr. Concept Album transitioning successfully into the age of disposable, single-song downloads, etc. Hence, "Big Man with a Gun" becomes "Getting Smaller" and the sprawling, double-album eccentricity of The Fragile becomes the collection of catchy, radio-friendly songs which is With Teeth. I mean, he DID pretty much say that, didn't he?

And are we just overlooking the fact that this very same statement came preceded by lyrics like "she comes on strong, it makes you hard, you finally found the place where you belong; with teeth" and "I'm trying to fit it all inside, I'm trying to open my mouth wide, I'm trying not to choke inside, I am a big boy and I will swallow it all, swallow it all, swallow it all, swallow it all"...?!?

LOL. I mean, just sayin'!!!

It seemed clear enough to me that he was relating his potential irrelevance to the current musical scene in terms of his vitality and/or mpotence, which is basically a motif spanning his entire career.Curious to hear wtf @eversonpoe (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=588) was thinking facepalming one statement and liking another saying basically the same thing, btw.

No biggie, though! Just a friendly conversation here.

;)

you hadn't said that already. you made a little rant that sounded kind of homophobic and ridiculous, which is why i facepalmed it. also, people take facepalming WAY too seriously.
GibbonBlack stated that the song seemed to be more about trent's celebrity status and i agreed with that...why is that confusing?

BenAkenobi
09-04-2015, 09:53 AM
Jesus, the companion piece for the e.p. named after his e.d. is even called FIXED, people!

So, does "fixed" mean permanent/staying or cured/gone?

Ryan
09-04-2015, 04:04 PM
So, does "fixed" mean permanent/staying or cured/gone?

I've always thought it was a tongue in cheek title. Broken is, well... broken, and Fixed sounds even more broken with all the fucked up remixes, though it was title Fixed. That's how I've always thought about it in my mind anyway.

Halo Infinity
09-05-2015, 06:50 AM
@Ryan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=67) - I've also thought about that too, especially when considering it as a play on words of the following idiom: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

As it's either simply unnecessary to fix something that still works, or that trying to fix something can sometimes actually increase one's problems and even inflict more damage than what already broke it in the first place. I've always enjoyed having that in mind, especially when listening to Fixed right after Broken.

Khrz
09-05-2015, 07:56 AM
I always thought it more or less meant "on drugs", literally or metaphorically.

Hazekiah
09-05-2015, 08:52 AM
Considering the lyrics suggesting that even "hope and vaseline" couldn't fix his "broken machine, I've always concluded that naming the companion piece Fixed was a deliberate double entendre referencing both repair work and, more cleverly, castration.

m15a
09-05-2015, 12:22 PM
Personally, I think "Fixed" was just chosen because it's a word associated with "Broken." I think the other meanings of fixed might have been intentional, but more in a humorous pun sort of way.

danzo_rezno
09-05-2015, 06:32 PM
I was actually quite passive about The Line Begins To Blur for a while, but when I seen the BYIT performance,
especially with the background effect of the cascade coming closer down behind them,
I just fucking loved the song after that!
(I bought the dvd in Manchester on its release 27/2/07 after seeing them in the Apollo the night before :) )

danzo_rezno
09-05-2015, 06:33 PM
Personally, I think "Fixed" was just chosen because it's a word associated with "Broken." I think the other meanings of fixed might have been intentional, but more in a humorous pun sort of way.

I definitely agree, in most senses, it's actually fucked, the record I mean

kattastrophic
09-07-2015, 12:02 AM
I believe Sunspots is the best song from With Teeth.

WorzelG
09-08-2015, 04:35 AM
I've become obsessed with the song playing after Reptile in this radio show by Trent, Peter Murphy et al
https://youtu.be/Elbsomblod4

sheepdean
09-08-2015, 12:02 PM
I've become obsessed with the song playing after Reptile in this radio show by Trent, Peter Murphy et al
https://youtu.be/Elbsomblod4

That's "Haunted When the Minutes Drag" by Love And Rockets

onthewall2983
09-08-2015, 06:15 PM
Listening to my iPod on shuffle. Randy Newman's cover of Peter Gabriel's "Big Time" seemed to fit perfectly after "Perfect Drug" for some reason.

Halo Infinity
09-08-2015, 07:30 PM
I was just thinking about the words Left and Right being used on The Fragile for quite some time again. It made me think about how the Left had mentions of leaving or at the very least the desire to escape or actual things being put away with what was left and/or all that's left, while the Right had mentions of trying to set things right and fix them, and trying to fight for a certain right, even mentally and emotionally, or just to be right as a means to prove something, but eventually failing and setting himself up for more suffering and destruction due to being the fragile or how it sometimes seems like nothing is ever got enough whenever it comes to getting it right. Perhaps it can also be about how his best efforts were also useless at the time. And speaking of the left again, I can see how that word can also apply to loss as well, as things have to be away, taken away or go away to constitute a loss.

This isn't to say that neither are only left to one CD or the other, as both themes are present on both CDs, nor am I trying suggest that these were Trent's actual intentions, but it certainly made me speculate a bit, as I've done with his other releases. And with that particular thought, some lyrics stood out far more than others for me to follow it for the other definitions of the words Left and Right. Anyway, it really just randomly occurred to me though. And if anything, this random thought actually increased my fascination and admiration of The Fragile. That is, aside form my right brain and left brain idea, or how Left and Right are the two sides of Trent Reznor that were broken and split in two as mentioned in Now I'm Nothing and In Two.

And perhaps in some ways, the Left could be about witnessing the destruction until he sees what little is left of him, and the Right is about him trying to pick up the pieces only to witness further destruction in spite of his efforts to make it right, hence leaving him even more discouraged, broken and hopeless. This probably would've also never occurred to me if he simply named the CDs Disc 1 and Disc 2 though, so it still makes me wonder if he had that in mind too.

Left

Somewhat Damaged - Made the choice to go away. / Lost my faith in everything. / This machine is obsolete. / Would always say we'll make it through, then my head fell apart, and where were you? How could I ever think it's funny how everything you swore would never change is different now, like you said, you and me make it through didn't quite, fell apart. Where the fuck were you?

The Day The World Went Away - The day the whole world went away.

The Wretched - The far aways. / You're finally free.

We're In This Together - Well they've got to make it go away. Well they've got to make it disappear.

The Fragile - We'll find a perfect place to go where we can run and hide. We'll build a wall and keep them on the other side.

Even Deeper - Everything that matters is gone. All the hands of hope have withdrawn.

No, You Don't - Teeth in the necks of everyone you know. You can keep on sucking until the blood won't flow. When it starts to hurt it only helps it grow. Taking all you need, but not this time, no you don't.

La Mer - For I am going home.

The Great Below - Makes me disappear.

Right

The Way Out Is Through - All I've undergone, I will keep on.

Into The Void - Tried to save a place from the cuts and the scratches. Tried to overcome the complications and the catches. Nothing ever grows and the sun doesn't shine all day. Tried to save myself but myself keeps slipping away.

Where Is Everybody? - Pleading and needing and bleeding and breeding and feeding, exceeding. / Trying and lying, defying, denying, crying and dying. / Maybe I wish I could try.

Please - Now everything is clear. I erase the fear. / Never be enough to fill me up.

Starfuckers, Inc. - Now I belong. I'm one of the chosen ones. Now I belong. I'm one of the beautiful ones.

I'm Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally - I've done all I can do.

The Big Come Down - There is a game I play. Try to make myself okay. Try so hard to make the pieces all fit. Smash it apart just for the fuck of it. / Try to get back to where I'm from.

Underneath It All - After all I've tried.

@BenAkenobi (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=122) - And now, after actually taking the time to write all of this, it's probably another reason why you've said this all along in the Hesitation Marks thread.

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1691-halo-twenty-eight-hesitation-marks-09-03-2013?p=247238#post247238

I still find it to be very flattering though, and well, thank you, as I was just reminded about that post of yours yet again. :)

piggy
09-08-2015, 10:37 PM
Yeah, the way that the Left disc ends with the "La Mer" and "The Great Below" pairing is like suicidal and wishing for grim death, while the Right side begins with "The Way Out Is Through" is evidence that he stopped himself from ending it and is clawing his way back up.

It's interesting that you bring that up right now, because just the other day I was realizing how the lyrics to "La Mer" are just dark as fuck (reappraised in context of how TR went on to state that he wrote it while in a suicidal headspace) and how "The Way Out Is Through" has such a hopeful couplet in "all I've undergone, I will keep on" as a stark contrast to that.

Wolfkiller
09-09-2015, 08:14 AM
piggy by nine inch nails is the greatest jazz song ever written

WorzelG
09-09-2015, 09:00 AM
piggy by nine inch nails is the greatest jazz song ever written
I don't like piggy as much on the album but it's so much better live. The lyrics suddenly seemed to make sense when someone said it was about Richard Patrick leaving the band, there seems more to that feud than has ever been let on to the press

Wolfkiller
09-09-2015, 09:04 AM
Whatever nerd.
Eraser "remastered" high was giving me seizures. I'm convinced parts of this "remastered" the downward spiral are alternate takes.

BenAkenobi
09-09-2015, 10:38 AM
I was just thinking about the words Left and Right being used on The Fragile for quite some time again...

Me too, but in another context.
We know that there's a lot going on between Left and Right, however... what if 12 tracks that are on 1st disk were released on their own?
How would we treat it today?
halo fourteen: The Fragile (1999): CD we know as Left but the rest all the same - cover, title, only a thinner booklet.
(same singles may have remained but no cross-reference to 2nd CD: TDTWWA+TDTWWA (quiet) and WITT+TPD)
halo sixteen: Into the void (minus WITT and TPD plus a remix)
halo severteen: The Big Comedown (?) (2000 or 2001): what we now know as Right CD (incl. TMH) under different cover
halo eighteen: Starfuckers, Inc. (video version + a remix)
halo nineteen: TFA (2001 or 2002, EP because many remixes went to previously dropped singles)
halo twenty: Live/Still
It's not hard to guess that With Teeth would probably be considered a bigger success compared to each of those hypothetical half-double albums :)

elevenism
09-09-2015, 10:42 AM
What frame of mind was trent in when he wrote "big man with a gun?"
it's the only nin song that kind of bothers me.

I've heard it said that it was supposed to be a "parody of hip hop" but i don't see that.
Then there's the whole "it's a story about a character" thing, but i've never bought that either. On TDS and TF, trent is obviously the "character."

BenAkenobi
09-09-2015, 10:50 AM
I think it's a consequence of hanging out with Manson

sheepdean
09-09-2015, 11:01 AM

I've heard it said that it was supposed to be a "parody of hip hop" but i don't see that.
Then there's the whole "it's a story about a character" thing, but i've never bought that either. On TDS and TF, trent is obviously the "character."
If Trent is the character of TDS, then he's a rapist and dead.

He obviously heavily inspired the album from himself, but it's still a story, especially with songs like Hurt, Big Man With A Gun and The Downward Spiral, which tell events which haven't happened to Trent. I think Big Man was his insertion of story and also a very creepy catharsis towards someone or some thing. I also dislike it, probably for the same reasons, and I never once bought the parody of hip hop bullshit, especially considering the friends he keeps.

Khrz
09-09-2015, 11:36 AM
I like it, in the context of TDS it's the inevitable explosion of lust, violence and hatred the character has been nursing during the whole first segment, all expressed at once.

It could probably have been expressed more cleverly or subtly, but as elaborate as it is TDS isn't a "clever" record, nor a subtle one. It's extremely good at bludgeoning and does it expertly, but it's still expressing itself by giving heads, getting butts, and various other headbuttings.
Plus, the vulgarity and immorality of BMWAG is kind of the whole point, in my opinion...

@elevenism (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475) : You never write in a vacuum, and in the case of Reznor we all know most of his material is inspired by himself, but I think that TDS was written by fishing in his own dark parts. Think of the shit that pops in your mind sometimes, random spontaneous bouts of ephemeral yet boiling hatred, the fucked up perverted shit that bubbles up to your conscious mind in the middle of the day.
"I wonder what would happen if I pushed that kid in front of the bus. What if I just punched your face off you fucking hag ? How would Sheila react if I fucked her mother ?"
I think Big Man... is just that, a pure flow of lust and fury released all at once. It's not Reznor any more than those nasty thoughts are you. But they're there, and in the context of TDS they've been brewing for eight tracks before they just explode in a messy rage.

Halo Infinity
09-09-2015, 01:01 PM

Aside from the other points that were already mentioned, I have also wondered if it was also set up to look like an intentional reference or response to Me And A Gun by Tori Amos on her album Little Earthquakes. What you've said reminded me of their conspiracy, as it was called. I'm not sure if it's still going on, but it seemed to be very much alive from the early 1990s to the mid 2000s.

@Charmingly Miserable (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3645) @RhettButler (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3921) - I'd definitely be interested in what either of you might have to say about it as well.

On the other hand, I could also still see that as a satirical parody of hip hop, as well as a parody of people acting like tough guy rappers and gangsters, but that's just me. I'd even go out on a limb and venture to say that if it was intended to be a parody of such on any kind of level, it's probably somewhat akin to say, 50 Cent's Wanksta in some ways. Aside from that, I don't know what else to say, because I still found what Trent said about Big Man With A Gun to be very believable.

I think it's a consequence of hanging out with Manson
I could actually see that in some ways, even though that sort of thing was already visually accomplished on the Broken movie. I also thought that Big Man With A Gun could've also inspired the way the final version of Get Your Gunn (At least in a minor way.) came to be, even though most of the inspiration from The Downward Spiral ended up on Smells Like Children and Antichrist Superstar. But yes, in that era, I wouldn't put it past Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson influencing and inspiring each other with ideas being bounced around from both camps as a result of their collaboration and friendship.

You never write in a vacuum, and in the case of Reznor we all know most of his material is inspired by himself, but I think that TDS was written by fishing in his own dark parts. Think of the shit that pops in your mind sometimes, random spontaneous bouts of ephemeral yet boiling hatred, the fucked up perverted shit that bubbles up to your conscious mind in the middle of the day.
"I wonder what would happen if I pushed that kid in front of the bus. What if I just punched your face off you fucking hag ? How would Sheila react if I fucked her mother ?"
I think Big Man... is just that, a pure flow of lust and fury released all at once. It's not Reznor any more than those nasty thoughts are you. But they're there, and in the context of TDS they've been brewing for eight tracks before they just explode in a messy rage.
I just loved the way you put that, as this is exactly what I had in mind, not only with Big Man With A Gun, but the entire Broken movie as well. Depending on who you are, if your brain has ever functioned like that whenever you're very angry, it's actually very relatable and understandable. You've also summed it up so much better than I ever could have, which is great, because I had a very hard time trying to describe the Broken movie in that kind of way. :)

And not to mention, I can also still see how those types of songs also set the perfect mood for destroying instruments and equipment on stage with or without them messing up. It's also still one of my favorite reasons for watching Closure. :)

I also saw Big Man With A Gun as the final explosion before slowing down for A Warm Place and then facing further demise and lows afterwards. I have also read descriptions of The Downward Spiral having some of the songs are of the character trying to get higher and higher in songs like Closer and Ruiner only to go lower and lower in songs like A Warm Place and Eraser as the character gets more vulnerable and suicidal after those bursts of aggression and perceived invincibility and power, with Hurt being the bottom the downward spiral as well as the final blow.

botley
09-09-2015, 01:21 PM
Reznor undeniably intended to piss lots of people off (not to mention deliberately antagonize the hypocritical American moralist Christian groups, who would actually protest outside of NIN concerts) by including that song on the album and performing it live. Hard rock music was still the devil incarnate circa 1993-94, and until Manson was blamed for supposedly inciting the Columbine massacre, NIN was taking a lot of that heat in the mass media for apparently corrupting and warping the minds of children. Though it serves its purpose in painting that internal narrative of The Downward Spiral, in a broader context that song was also fuck-you to corporate media sanitization under the banner of moral authoritarianism. This is something Reznor flirted with on each NIN album, up until leaving the corporate structure of Interscope/Vivendi/Universal etc. in 2007, by which time the media landscape had begun to fragment. But it was a different world back when both major American political parties had active proponents advocating for the censorship of popular music.

WorzelG
09-09-2015, 02:19 PM
Tim Cook has One Republic as one of his favourite bands, what? Is Trent happy plugging a product that is a promotional tool for One Republic???

Khrz
09-09-2015, 02:23 PM
Are you for real ?

WorzelG
09-09-2015, 02:27 PM
Are you for real ?
Just looking at the twitter feed for the Apple event today and One Republic are the band. Someone just said 'if I find a one republic album on my iPhone tomorrow I'm switching to windows'

Khrz
09-09-2015, 02:34 PM
No, sorry, the elaborate version of what I meant would be "do you really care ? Why do you care ? Who cares ?"

Reznor promoted and participated in a product meant to distribute music. As much music as possible. From the largest range of bands as possible, to the maximum amount of consumers possible.
The CEO of the company that released this product loves a band you hate.

Honestly, who gives a fuck ? Why in high heavens should Reznor give a fuck ? Why do you ? Why should we ?

WorzelG
09-09-2015, 02:45 PM
It's alright, I'm not that bothered. I'm actually on the free trial although I've turned off auto renewal, streaming music isn't really a priority in our house at the moment.

Do you really believe they're one of tim cooks favourite bands though? He's just a middle aged man sucking up to what he thinks young people like

Wolfkiller
09-09-2015, 02:47 PM
If you don't believe Big Man With A Gun is a parody of gangsta rap, you haven't listened to gangsta rap. That shit was all about bragging how tough you were and talking shit about whoever your rival of the month was, including threats of forced dick sucking and murder.

I wonder if the fragile was meant to be 3 CDs titled The Fragile, The Frail, and The Wretched.

Khrz
09-09-2015, 03:10 PM
Do you really believe they're one of tim cooks favourite bands though? He's just a middle aged man sucking up to what he thinks young people like

Possibly ? Maybe the guy just has very bland taste in music, likes to think he's keeping up, and subsequently likes very bland current bands ? Or indeed, he hilariously fails at being hip with the times and down with them youngsters ? Worst case scenario he's thinking this is a shrewd PR move and nobody will see through this clever charade ?

I still got more interested in my own voice here than in that whole situation. I still got more interested in why that would be interesting.

I'm sorry if it's dickish of me, I really am ! I'm just puzzled.

elevenism
09-09-2015, 03:15 PM
I like it, in the context of TDS it's the inevitable explosion of lust, violence and hatred the character has been nursing during the whole first segment, all expressed at once.

It could probably have been expressed more cleverly or subtly, but as elaborate as it is TDS isn't a "clever" record, nor a subtle one. It's extremely good at bludgeoning and does it expertly, but it's still expressing itself by giving heads, getting butts, and various other headbuttings.
Plus, the vulgarity and immorality of BMWAG is kind of the whole point, in my opinion...

@elevenism (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475) : You never write in a vacuum, and in the case of Reznor we all know most of his material is inspired by himself, but I think that TDS was written by fishing in his own dark parts. Think of the shit that pops in your mind sometimes, random spontaneous bouts of ephemeral yet boiling hatred, the fucked up perverted shit that bubbles up to your conscious mind in the middle of the day.

lovely insights, as usual.

WorzelG
09-09-2015, 03:36 PM
Possibly ? Maybe the guy just has very bland taste in music, likes to think he's keeping up, and subsequently likes very bland current bands ? Or indeed, he hilariously fails at being hip with the times and down with them youngsters ? Worst case scenario he's thinking this is a shrewd PR move and nobody will see through this clever charade ?

I still got more interested in my own voice here than in that whole situation. I still got more interested in why that would be interesting.

I'm sorry if it's dickish of me, I really am ! I'm just puzzled.
I dunno, ask the tech blogs why they care? Anyway I'm about to watch a programme where a bunch of people compete to bake the best cakes so what do I know?

sheepdean
09-09-2015, 08:07 PM
I dunno, ask the tech blogs why they care? Anyway I'm about to watch a programme where a bunch of people compete to bake the best cakes so what do I know?
I want to see Trent on Celebrity GBBO

danzo_rezno
09-10-2015, 08:09 PM
Who here thinks The Big Come Down Instrumentals guitar outro is waaay better than the studio/released version?!
I'd be interested to see (if he does ever release the 5.1 mix) if the guitar outro is present in one of the surround speakers,
like a lot of the unfound sounds in the TDS 5.1 mix, ahhh clarity!

Wolfkiller
09-11-2015, 06:51 AM
I hope there is a deluxe edition of the Greatest Hits that comes with a second disc of all the hits but remade, either for a more modern take or even broken down Still versions.

botley
09-11-2015, 09:46 AM
I hope there is a deluxe edition of the Greatest Hits that comes with a second disc of all the hits but remade, either for a more modern take or even broken down Still versions.
I was recently wondering what happened to the studio recordings that Reznor apparently made of those Bridge School Benefit show arrangements (http://www.fuelfriendsblog.com/2006/10/28/hot-dang-audio-from-trent-reznors-saturday-set-at-the-bridge-school-benefit-2006/) (with the string ensemble and a grand piano). I think he said on a Spiral chat or something that he was recording them, anyway — Martin St. Pierre, who did the arrangements and played violin at the shows, seems to have confirmed this. Not saying that a retrospective anthology is what those recordings are being held back for, but it would make some sense to release them that way. That shit is too good to remain a little-heard audience bootleg and a couple of soundboard tracks on some obscure iTunes download.

Dr Channard
09-11-2015, 10:12 AM
I hope there is a deluxe edition of the Greatest Hits that comes with a second disc of all the hits but remade, either for a more modern take or even broken down Still versions.I was recently wondering what happened to the studio recordings that Reznor apparently made of
those Bridge School Benefit show arrangements (http://www.fuelfriendsblog.com/2006/10/28/hot-dang-audio-from-trent-reznors-saturday-set-at-the-bridge-school-benefit-2006/) (with the string ensemble and a grand piano). I think he said on a Spiral chat or something that he was recording them, anyway — Martin St. Pierre, who did the arrangements and played violin at the shows, seems to have confirmed this. Not saying that a retrospective anthology is what those recordings are being held back for, but it would make some sense to release them that way. That shit is too good to remain a little-heard audience bootleg and a couple of soundboard tracks on some obscure iTunes download.

Is a NIN Greatest Hits album even a happening thing anymore? It’s been silent on that front for some time now.

To date I can’t think of any nin recording I’d like an official pro quality release of more than the BSB stuff.

Khrz
09-11-2015, 10:30 AM
Is a NIN Greatest Hits album even a happening thing anymore? It’s been silent on that front for some time now.

Well it almost happened, but then Reznor Hesitated...

Wolfkiller
09-11-2015, 10:32 AM
The Greatest Hits has to happen as far as I understand, unless the record company changed their mind. Wonder if there is a deadline in the contract.

Dr Channard
09-11-2015, 12:01 PM
Well it almost happened, but then Reznor Hesitated...

And by doing so he left us Disappointed.

Khrz
09-11-2015, 12:36 PM
And by doing so he left us Disappointed.

Well, as far as I'm concerned I would have been Running to get it, Find My Way to the last surviving record store, only to find out I already owned Everything on it except for the shoved In Two unreleased tracks, which I don't even really like.

All I'm saying is, I'm pretty happy with the way things panned out.

Halo Infinity
09-11-2015, 02:49 PM
And from the looks of it yet again, you can try to stop it, but it keeps on coming. So as a result, this just goes on and on and on and on.

elevenism
09-11-2015, 06:45 PM
If you don't believe Big Man With A Gun is a parody of gangsta rap, you haven't listened to gangsta rap. That shit was all about bragging how tough you were and talking shit about whoever your rival of the month was, including threats of forced dick sucking and murder.

dude...i listen to more hip hop than rock, and i'm 35. So i was at the prime age for snoop and dre, scarface, bone, tupac, the click, ugk etc etc etc
It's not that i don't know about gangsta rap, it's that i don't believe that BMWAG was a parody of it.

Why would you put a "parody" song at a fairly crucial turning point of a semi-autobiographical concept album?
I think the "parody of gangsta rap" explanation was just a way of dodging an actual explanation of the raw violence of the song.

but then again, it took Khrz...to make me rea-lize....a better understanding of the song
so i could be wrong