PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Halo Infinity
09-11-2013, 03:10 PM
I've figured that this was much more of a random NIN thought than a random NIN question, but it's still a NIN question in a way. So if the album covers from Hesitation Marks are a visual reference to The Downward Spiral and The Fragile, is it very possible that the actual CD could be a visual reference to Pretty Hate Machine? It sort of looks that way to me.

Scarlet Siren
09-12-2013, 03:17 PM
'Running'

*skips forward*

Not a fan at the moment. But knowing how I am, it'll probably become a favourite in time.

Working in a different part of the flat an listening to HM on different speakers ... it's distracting me from writing up my appraisal. *sits back and lights another cigarette and has another glass of wine*

chroipahtz
09-12-2013, 03:22 PM
Running gained a lot of ground (pun intended) when I started listening to it with the audiophile mix; for some reason things pop out more. Also, needless to say, you should be listening to it loud in high quality headphones.

Volband
09-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Somewhat of a random ETS thought, but I wish the song abbreviatio.ns would have a highlight feature if I scroll over them. I have to go letter by letter to figure some of them out, and during that I feel like I'm in some kind of mental institute.

(So I guess my random NIN thought is that Trent should make shorter and easy to remember song names. He had the right idea with Pussygrinder, but oh well.)

Scarlet Siren
09-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Running gained a lot of ground (pun intended) when I started listening to it with the audiophile mix; for some reason things pop out more. Also, needless to say, you should be listening to it loud in high quality headphones.

I should be listening to them on high quality headphones, huh? Oh, I have been ;) but the speakers have been a bit neglected recently! And I'm definitely playing it loud, I'm sure my neighbours love me for it! :D The audiophile mix, however, I've not done anything with that yet. Let me sort that out, what's one more thing to distract me from my appraisal. It's only due tomorrow morning!

I'm curious to find out what these new surprises are for the Tension tour. I did pretty well at watching Fuji only and nothing else before the shows a few weeks ago. Not sure I'll be able to show the same restraint this time round.

hobochic
09-12-2013, 03:35 PM
It's hard for me to watching this without smiling or laughing. Perhaps somebody could send this to Trent Reznor via Twitter and/or Facebook. This is just as good as the time the Down In It video made it to Hard Copy. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjsS5aytQck

I love that NIN raised hell in a Twin Peaks world.

Halo Infinity
09-12-2013, 04:58 PM
I'm getting the feeling that Trent probably thought this to himself when they tried to contact him: (Oh fuck, not again. :rolleyes:)

skullboy0
09-13-2013, 10:09 AM

Yeah, after listening to it on my Klipsch headphones for a few weeks, was a bit Disappointed yesterday when I got the warranty replacement for my bad Sennheiser's that are my normal gym headphones. Waaaaay less bass than the Klipsch.

Halo Infinity
09-13-2013, 11:48 AM
I thought I've heard it all, and now this. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGaWVkfE2q8

And I'm also trying to picture it being performed in an actual NIN concert.

wizfan
09-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Is this sourced from Leviathant's Laserdisc rip?

Leviathant
09-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Is this sourced from @Leviathant (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1) 's Laserdisc rip?

It is, but almost completely stripped of context - how lame. The original can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK5XgMjORHc (or on a laserdisc in a box on shelf in my room)

Lastentrance
09-14-2013, 08:05 AM
^ Ace, sounds like old school NIN.

OT: I wonder why Danny Lohner wasn't a consideration for this years touring cycle...

sheepdean
09-14-2013, 08:43 AM
^ Ace, sounds like old school NIN.

OT: I wonder why Danny Lohner wasn't a consideration for this years touring cycle...
It IS old school NIN - 1993 http://www.ninwiki.com/TOH_(Top_Of_The_Hour)

And I think Danny's kinda busy these days, even though nothing he does actually gets released

Halo Infinity
09-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Note to self: Never ever leave the house with less than $15.00 even if there have been off-chances where you actually got Nine Inch Nails CDs for $8.00 to $12.00. (Which is why I made that mistake to start with.) :(

I tried to get Hesitation Marks as a belated birthday present for a friend today, with the same amount I got it the week before. It was around $11.58 when I got it last week. And for all I know it was probably an error I got lucky over, or maybe it was on a discount last week, because when I tried to get it today, it was $13.58. The price displayed on it was $11.99. (Perhaps I just got lucky when I was first buying it.) And while I still thought it was a decent and normal price, it was a smack in the face at the time. (Since I had to take a bus to get there, and there aren't any other stores that sell CDs at a nearer location to my house. J&R usually has some of the best deals for Nine Inch Nails CDs too, but it's all the way in Manhattan.)

Better luck next time, I suppose. Oh, and maybe $20.00 to $30.00 for The Fragile just in case, as it still seems to be $24.99 in some Best Buy stores. And also assuming that I'd have still that option... considering the whole record stores getting phased out thing... :p

gorast
09-14-2013, 03:37 PM
Best Buy's prices are disgusting, try to avoid that.

My 900th post was shitting on Best Buy, awesome.

thevoid99
09-14-2013, 09:14 PM
Best Buy's prices are disgusting, try to avoid that.

My 900th post was shitting on Best Buy, awesome.

I agree. $19 on the deluxe edition. Not cool. It was hard to find a retail store nearby that actually sold it at a fair price.

sheepdean
09-15-2013, 06:29 AM
I agree. $19 on the deluxe edition. Not cool. It was hard to find a retail store nearby that actually sold it at a fair price.
Um, nin.com is selling it for $20 plus shipping...

Scarlet Siren
09-15-2013, 08:10 AM
Finally got round to listening to the recent rehearsals, fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadaloo
09-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Russell Mills is the cause of Colony Collapse Disorder.

Vertigo
09-15-2013, 12:58 PM
They're wasps, aren't they? I'd want colonies of nature's frat boys to collapse.

staleincense
09-15-2013, 01:57 PM
BWAHAHAHAH!

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/nine$20inch$20nails/rec.music.christian/wBBUlzwLycw/tTbiHI6HC60J

johnbron
09-15-2013, 06:21 PM
I put this together in survival mode on my girlfriend's server. It had to be done. #minecraft

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/16/yzysabep.jpg

Halo Infinity
09-15-2013, 08:50 PM
I just KNOW that I'm not going to sleep a damn wink the night before the NIN concert I'm attending. Caffeine FTW! :p

-Edit-

And to include a random ETS thought. Sometimes it just seems right when Ministry and Marilyn Manson get bumped a lot in a NIN forum. ;)

wunderpanda
09-16-2013, 05:55 AM
I was listening to NIN shuffled on mp3 player and noticed he has enough good / popular songs to perform after March of the Pigs and Wish are undoable. Eventually those angry songs just won't seem right for him to sing, and barring him merging NIN with HTDA with Q singing, he can do a funky, instrumental dealeo. I don't want to see Trent stomping around like Anthrax or Metallica in 5 years, or like the Who wailing out the words Teenage Wasteland, some songs just have an expiration date. Could be fun to hear Q doing vocals on the classics tho, not opposed to it at all, and I'm actually wanting a set of HTDA songs mixed in on the Tension tour. Wouldn't be much different than having Saul or Bowie or Newman or Adam Ant joining the show.

Vertigo
09-16-2013, 06:58 AM
I was listening to NIN shuffled on mp3 player and noticed he has enough good / popular songs to perform after March of the Pigs and Wish are undoable. Eventually those angry songs just won't seem right for him to sing, and barring him merging NIN with HTDA with Q singing, he can do a funky, instrumental dealeo. I don't want to see Trent stomping around like Anthrax or Metallica in 5 years, or like the Who wailing out the words Teenage Wasteland, some songs just have an expiration date. Could be fun to hear Q doing vocals on the classics tho, not opposed to it at all, and I'm actually wanting a set of HTDA songs mixed in on the Tension tour. Wouldn't be much different than having Saul or Bowie or Newman or Adam Ant joining the show.

I'd imagine that concept would piss some people off, but yeah, I'd love to hear Mariqueen performing some NIN material.

Halo Infinity
09-16-2013, 06:08 PM
I thought it was sort of cool coincidence that what seems to be some of NIN's most loved works came out on the 9th month of the year. What a lucky number/coincidence. :p

Broken - September 22, 1992

The Fragile - September 21, 1999

Hesitation Marks - September 03, 2013

And well, the Halo that started it all was also released in September.

Down In It - September 15, 1989

Oh yes, and I also finally got Hesitation Marks for my friend. It turned out to be $13.05. Thank goodness it wasn't an awful price for Best Buy, but I'm just glad I finally got it. I hope he loves it, since he also loved Pretty Hate Machine and With Teeth. :)

(I'm also still convinced that the cashier might've messed it up on my first HM purchase though, as it was only $11.58.)

It also turns out that those seemed to be the only two regular copies of Hesitation Marks that were available. There were like 5 copies of the deluxe edition though, all at $19.99. Oh yes, and it was sort of funny to mention this, but whoever worked the cash register put it in The Doobies Brothers section. (She put it back because I wasn't able to get it the last time.) I'm just glad that I found it anyway, because I almost went nuts not finding it in the NIN section.

icklekitty
09-17-2013, 06:26 AM
I thought it was sort of cool coincidence that what seems to be some of NIN's most loved works came out on the 9th month of the year. What a lucky number/coincidence. :p

The Fragile - September 21, 1992

Oh yes, and I also finally got Hesitation Marks for my friend. It turned out to be $13.05. Thank goodness it wasn't an awful price for Best Buy, but I'm just glad I finally got it. I hope he loves it, since he also loved Pretty Hate Machine and With Teeth. :)

(I'm also still convinced that the cashier might've messed it up on my first HM purchase though, as it was only $11.58.)

It also turns out that those seemed to be the only two regular copies of Hesitation Marks that were available. There were like 5 copies of the deluxe edition though, all at $19.99. Oh yes, and it was sort of funny to mention this, but whoever worked the cash register put it in The Doobies Brothers section. (She put it back because I wasn't able to get it the last time.) I'm just glad that I found it anyway, because I almost went nuts not finding it in the NIN section.

September babies are the best. @naut (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=70) @Christo (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=57) @owinn (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=709) Ryan

Ryan
09-17-2013, 05:16 PM
Our parents all got horny during new year celebrations.

butter_hole
09-17-2013, 06:45 PM
My brother and I were born a day apart, so there's something special about August 20 to my parents...

Halo Infinity
09-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Our parents all got horny during new year celebrations.
It's either that, or Christmas. :p

Is anybody else also reminded of this when listening to Copy Of A?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI

dominik
09-18-2013, 11:24 AM
This:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-BpIcD1-rk" target="_blank">
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-BpIcD1-rk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-BpIcD1-rk)

reminds me extremely of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ4JoovKWCU

Halo Infinity
09-18-2013, 11:44 AM
A random ETS thought that's still going to be connected to NIN anyway. I'm so glad that ETS exists because it really is hard for me to find NIN fans in real life, and that I obviously love talking about NIN with NIN fans, especially when a really good/fun topic gets rolling along. And among other mainstream giants of the late 1980s and early 1990s, it seems far easier to find Guns N' Roses fans and Nirvana fans. Even Tool and Radiohead fans seemed easier to come across, but not as much as Guns N' Roses and Nirvana. And but of course it also seemed just as easy to come across Marilyn Manson fans too.

Did anybody also meet Marilyn Manson fans that have never heard of NIN? That's also happened to me several times before. (But not a lot.)

Tyson
09-18-2013, 11:44 AM
September babies are the best. @naut (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=70) @Christo (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=57) @owinn (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=709) @Ryan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=67)

You can add me to that list. Well, maybe just to a list of September babies. Don't know if I qualify for 'best.'

Halo Infinity
09-18-2013, 01:26 PM
I really hope to see a new album in two to three years. Four to give myself better luck, and five for punctuality. ;)

NINisamazing
09-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Random thought.

This might be just me, but is anyone sorta spent with moshing at nin shows? Sorta dated in general. lets mosh to copy of a? i am saying this, because it will most likely happen. lets dance to nin, not slam. Also,I am fully preparing myself to get crushed at the Toronto show.

keep in mind I have gone to tons of metal and hardcore shows.

NINisamazing
09-18-2013, 02:53 PM

The Fragile - September 21, 1992

It also turns out that those seemed to be the only two regular copies of Hesitation Marks that were available. There were like 5 copies of the deluxe edition though, all at $19.99. Oh yes, and it was sort of funny to mention this, but whoever worked the cash register put it in The Doobies Brothers section. (She put it back because I wasn't able to get it the last time.) I'm just glad that I found it anyway, because I almost went nuts not finding it in the NIN section. the fragile in 1992?!?!

EndlessLoveless
09-18-2013, 02:59 PM
Random thought.

This might be just me, but is anyone sorta spent with moshing at nin shows? Sorta dated in general. lets mosh to copy of a? i am saying this, because it will most likely happen. lets dance to nin, not slam. Also,I am fully preparing myself to get crushed at the Toronto show.

Moshing dated?........at nin........yes. Maybe up till like '95. When im close to the stage at a nin show and some assholes are moshing its like, get the fuck out of the way and grow the fuck up. Never understood it. What is it? A form of expression? Like, "im so fucking psyched for march of the pigs i just want someone to kick my ass!". I mean, ive def done it before, a looooonnngggg time ago (im 31), but i guess i never understood why.

NINisamazing
09-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Moshing dated?........at nin........yes. Maybe up till like '95. When im close to the stage at a nin show and some assholes are moshing its like, get the fuck out of the way and grow the fuck up. Never understood it. What is it? A form of expression? Like, "im so fucking psyched for march of the pigs i just want someone to kick my ass!". I mean, ive def done it before, a looooonnngggg time ago (im 31), but i guess i never understood why.
Pretty much hit the nail on the head. (Har har har har) it's dated for nin, that's what I meant to say. I just don't get it anymore. I gauruntee if I see someone mosh to everything I will start throwing shoes at people.
Maybe it's the alcohol at these shows, but still, with these songs on this new record mixed into a live set, there are not going to be many moments to mosh.

i have done it before too, not to nin though. the last real mosh pit I was in was a converge show a couple years ago, and that lasted about two songs.

Halo Infinity
09-18-2013, 03:08 PM
the fragile in 1992?!?!
Oh shit. Thanks for pointing out the error. I was thinking about Broken when I wrote that since the month and day are almost the same. I'll fix it.

NINisamazing
09-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Hehehehehehe

m15a
09-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Random thought.

ehhhh. mixed feelings. i guess it depends on the particular song and the crowd for me. i think it can be fun if the crowd is actually paying attention to the music (which probably means not moshing to every song) and being responsible *and* there's enough space that it's actually not dangerous. EDIT: i might be using a broader definition of moshing than above. but i still think it counts. i've only experienced that sort of positive moshing once, at the Santa Barbara Bowl, which had a lot of space and friendly people. also, i love that "moshing" gets autocorrected to "noshing."

eversonpoe
09-18-2013, 03:40 PM
i just realized that my fiancee and i are not only getting married on the 10th anniversary of my suicide attempt (which turned out to be the best thing at which i ever failed), but it's also the 15th anniversary of the fragile. hehehe.

Halo Infinity
09-18-2013, 11:34 PM
For the record, I am NOT against fan-made videos, but I also love the idea of an official NIN DVD for Tension. Or the mere thought of NIN putting out a DVD to start with. (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2385-If-you-don-t-have-anything-nice-to-say?p=134984#post134984)

icklekitty
09-19-2013, 06:44 AM
I'm glad that thread got locked before I saw it and created a few new orifices in some people. Also, yeah, NIN should probably do their own job for a change :P

nooneimportant
09-19-2013, 08:42 AM

I imagine Mariqueen doing Something I Can Never Have or Sin and in my mind it seems really awesome.

Halo Infinity
09-19-2013, 03:55 PM
i just realized that my fiancee and i are not only getting married on the 10th anniversary of my suicide attempt (which turned out to be the best thing at which i ever failed), but it's also the 15th anniversary of the fragile. hehehe.
What you said just reminded me of this. The "feels" are overwhelming, but in a very good way. :) It's also interesting that there's a NIN song called Came Back Haunted, and not just because of Ghosts I-IV, but also because of what he said before playing La Mer in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIsAazPVnFQ

Amaro
09-20-2013, 09:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RGYBP1_D1U

Halo Infinity
09-20-2013, 09:16 AM
There is something about Nine Inch Nails that really helps me cope with self-loathing and intense feelings of shame and suicidal thoughts. (Not that I've actually tried to commit suicide.) I was just listening to the Woodstock 1994 performance and Pinion, even Pinion cut through me in a really good way. This has to be one of the reasons why I have a very hard time putting NIN down, as I really relate to it so much on an emotional level, aside from taste. And speaking of which, I still relate the most emotionally to Broken, The Downward Spiral, and The Fragile.

Another thing I noticed is that in some interviews, the interviewer or the editor is surprised at how calm, cool, articulate, and collected Trent Reznor is. While I actually get some or even most of the reasoning behind that, I completely get why Trent would come across that way. It's obviously to look good, and while I'm not claiming to know exactly what Trent Reznor went through, I know what it's like to completely hate myself and be ashamed as if I should have never been born. There have been many times where I did my best to look cool and collected on the outside when my mind and heart where anything but cool and collected. It shouldn't be a surprise. And of course he'd be articulate, considering his genius and overall capabilities as a musician.

Not to say that it's bad for Trent to do that, or that it makes him a bad person, but imagine how you'd like to present yourself to the public if you went through such feelings?

Anyway, I thought of bumping this thread just for that in case I forget it. (And bumping seems to be okay in ETS as long as it's a substantial post with some valid reasons.) And these thoughts just occurred to me all over again.

henryeatscereal
09-20-2013, 10:31 AM
A random ETS thought that's still going to be connected to NIN anyway. I'm so glad that ETS exists because it really is hard for me to find NIN fans in real life, and that I obviously love talking about NIN with NIN fans, especially when a really good/fun topic gets rolling along. And among other mainstream giants of the late 1980s and early 1990s, it seems far easier to find Guns N' Roses fans and Nirvana fans. Even Tool and Radiohead fans seemed easier to come across, but not as much as Guns N' Roses and Nirvana. And but of course it also seemed just as easy to come across Marilyn Manson fans too.

Did anybody also meet Marilyn Manson fans that have never heard of NIN? That's also happened to me several times before. (But not a lot.)
My girlfriend used to be a huge Manson fan but she wasn't familiar with any of NIN, i put her to date obviously...

Halo Infinity
09-20-2013, 02:15 PM
@henryeatscereal (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1572) - Which albums did you have her listen to first? Broken, The Downward Spiral, and The Fragile would often be my first choices in a case like that. And then perhaps Pretty Hate Machine and With Teeth later on.

Oh yeah, I was also one of them too. Thankfully, I met a friend in high school that had me listen to Pretty Hate Machine through The Fragile. (It wasn't exactly in chronological order, but it was all those albums, as it happened in late 2002.)

And what a coincidence, as I became a NIN fan just a month or two before the old ETS opened up shop. :p It still would've been cool if I was a fan from at least 1994-1997 though. I wish. :) -Since I would've only been around 3 to 7 in from the Pretty Hate Machine to Broken era.-

henryeatscereal
09-20-2013, 03:32 PM
@henryeatscereal (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1572) - Which albums did you have her listen to first? Broken, The Downward Spiral, and The Fragile would often be my first choices in a case like that. And then perhaps Pretty Hate Machine and With Teeth later on.

Oh yeah, I was also one of them too. Thankfully, I met a friend in high school that had me listen to Pretty Hate Machine through The Fragile. (It wasn't exactly in chronological order, but it was all those albums, as it happened in late 2002.)

And what a coincidence, as I became a NIN fan just a month or two before the old ETS opened up shop. :p It still would've been cool if I was a fan from at least 1994-1997 though. I wish. :) -Since I would've only been around 3 to 7 in from the Pretty Hate Machine to Broken era.-
The first album i played to her was "The Downward Spiral" and officially her fist favorite song was "Heresy" (she f'n hates the church lol!), from there i played her "Pretty Hate Machine" and "Ghosts", i want her to listen to The Fragile but she says she needs more time to digest the other stuff... lol

Halo Infinity
09-20-2013, 08:23 PM
I would definitely go for Broken and Pretty Hate Machine next. They'd be a lot more easier to digest than The Fragile. But if she was also a huge fan of Mechanical Animals, she just can't go wrong with Pretty Hate Machine and The Fragile. However, I'd still think Broken is the next best choice for a first-time listener that checked out The Downward Spiral and actually liked it.

henryeatscereal
09-20-2013, 08:28 PM
I would definitely go for Broken and Pretty Hate Machine next. They'd be a lot more easier to digest than The Fragile. But if she was also a huge fan of Mechanical Animals, she just can't go wrong with Pretty Hate Machine and The Fragile. However, I'd still think Broken is the next best choice for a first-time listener that checked out The Downward Spiral and actually liked it.
She loves "Antichrist Superstar" that's why i played her "TDS", but oddly she's not that "heavy" she's moodier and post punk (She loves the Cure...), so i think "Pretty Hate Machine" or even "With Teeth" suits her better, she also like "electro-alternative" bands like LCD Soundsystem, Jusice or Daft Punk... so i think she might like "Hesitation Marks" too!

Tiz
09-20-2013, 08:33 PM
the audiophile version of hm is really, really good. also, trent's the only musician that maintained artistic cred from his era.

Halo Infinity
09-20-2013, 08:34 PM
@henryeatscereal (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1572) - Just knowing that she loves Antichrist Superstar gives me this great hunch that she'd also love Broken, but from what you told me, I wouldn't just go straight to Last or Happiness In Slavery right away then. You could try your luck with Wish and Gave Up. (And if you feel like it, you could also show her the Gave Up video where Marilyn Manson pretended to play guitar.) Oh yeah, and Starfuckers, Inc. too, the live show with Marilyn Manson and the actual music video. And from the sound of this, Year Zero would seem to be another album she'd most likely get into as well.

henryeatscereal
09-20-2013, 08:45 PM
@henryeatscereal (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1572) - Just knowing that she loves Antichrist Superstar gives me this great hunch that she'd also love Broken, but from what you told me, I wouldn't just go straight to Last or Happiness In Slavery right away then. You could try your luck with Wish and Gave Up. (And if you feel like it, you could also show her the Gave Up video where Marilyn Manson pretended to play guitar.) Oh yeah, and Starfuckers, Inc. too, the live show with Marilyn Manson and the actual music video. And from the sound of this, Year Zero would seem to be another album she'd most likely get into as well.

I agree man,i would go for the electronic stuff over the guitar stuff, yet "Starfuckers Inc" is a song she might dig!

Halo Infinity
09-20-2013, 09:38 PM
I sometimes find myself feeling a flip-side to some NIN songs, as little positive reminders on how to take things or what not to do. I just noticed that Every Day Is Exactly The Same helps when it comes to reminding me to take things one day at a time.

somethingelse
09-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Ghosts I-IV live really should be a thing.

thevoid99
09-20-2013, 11:16 PM
Ghosts I-IV live really should be a thing.

Totally, I think a medley of stuff from that album should happen.

Halo Infinity
09-20-2013, 11:19 PM
Was there ever a general thread for The Fragile? I really hope so. Damn, 14 years old. Today. :)

Halo Infinity
09-20-2013, 11:28 PM
And behold. The Fragile era commercials in all their glory. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4K4r2gxIkU

Halo Infinity
09-21-2013, 11:42 AM
I just can't believe I never posted this, considering I that was aware that Trent used to be a janitor. There really is a squeaky part of Only that sounds like mopping with a mop bucket cart, or mop trolley.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mop_bucket_cart

Listen to Only, and think of a mop bucket cart with squeaky wheels, or squeaky noises made from scrubbing certain surfaces and messes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwvLlEtxX3o

It seems to first appear at the 29 second mark of the music video. And if you just want to hear it on a loop, you can hear it in this YTMND. It was a part of The YTMND Loop Project at the time. (So it's not a parody or a joke, just a loop.)

http://dsloop3.ytmnd.com/

gorast
09-21-2013, 12:32 PM
I'm pretty sure that's the sound of the bass player's hand sliding up and down the neck. I replicated it pretty easily when I learned the bassline a few years ago.

Halo Infinity
09-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Oh yes, and not to say that's what it actually was. It only randomly popped up in my head when I thought about Trent being a janitor back in the day. :p

dlb
09-22-2013, 05:30 AM
Don't know how we came to it but a friend of mine asked what if Trent's emo hairstyle in 2005 was part of a marketing scheme, like a link from old to new Trent? Just picture fans going crazy with him all bulked up AND a short haircut (e.g that photo from tokyo in 2005 on nin.com)? Makes sense considering he radically cut his hair after the club tour in 2005.

Nothing really discussion worthy though, just a random NIN thought. Trent is Trent and fairly good at that. :P

nooneimportant
09-22-2013, 07:33 AM
Don't know how we came to it but a friend of mine asked what if Trent's emo hairstyle in 2005 was part of a marketing scheme, like a link from old to new Trent? Just picture fans going crazy with him all bulked up AND a short haircut (e.g that photo from tokyo in 2005 on nin.com)? Makes sense considering he radically cut his hair after the club tour in 2005.

Nothing really discussion worthy though, just a random NIN thought. Trent is Trent and fairly good at that. :P

Trent has had weird hair before, the PHM era comes to mind...

somewhat_
09-22-2013, 08:17 AM

I remember in an interview around the time WT was released Trent made a statement regarding something about the actual packaging of the album changing over time. I remember thinking to myself how silly that statement was at the time, because how is my digipack cd package going to change? A couple years later I looked back at it and I understood what he meant. Does anyone have the time to find the quote I'm speaking of?

thefragile_jake
09-22-2013, 08:28 AM
I remember in an interview around the time WT was released Trent made a statement regarding something about the actual packaging of the album changing over time. I remember thinking to myself how silly that statement was at the time, because how is my digipack cd package going to change? A couple years later I looked back at it and I understood what he meant. Does anyone have the time to find the quote I'm speaking of?

I could be wrong but I thought there was supposed to be extra With Teeth content that was able to download and they were going to have this exclusive stuff that you were able to keep adding to your collection...I think it was supposed to connect into the loose "concept" feel of With Teeth.

Halo Infinity
09-22-2013, 02:39 PM
This is a random Nine Inch Nails thought that includes Tool, and other musicians with extensive hiatuses. Whatever gap between 10,000 Days and the new album will certainly make the gaps between The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, and With Teeth look like little vacations. Granted, Tool hasn't reached the point of having a hiatus like Guns N' Roses, Enya, or Kate Bush, but it really makes me wonder. If Tool came out with an album this year, or at least before this year ends, it would sort of be like Killing Joke's hiatus between Democracy and their second self-titled album.

stupidisasstupider
09-22-2013, 08:00 PM
and the new album from The trent and his power struggle Band

"mINd Kampf"

yes mind kampf the album weve been waiting for all these years has finally arrived.

we don't seem to mind.

wait apparenty he already came out with one.

Oh TR, still trying to kill us all.

Harry Seaward
09-22-2013, 10:37 PM

"mINd Kampf"

yes mind kampf the album weve been waiting for all these years has finally arrived.

we don't seem to mind.

wait apparenty he already came out with one.

Oh TR, still trying to kill us all.

Are you even speaking English?

BRoswell
09-22-2013, 11:03 PM

"mINd Kampf"

we don't seem to mind.

Oh! I get it!

Sorry, I thought that would work. What the hell are you on about?

Halo Infinity
09-23-2013, 03:08 PM
If most or even all of The Downward Spiral sounded like Closer and A Warm Place, it probably could've been Pretty Hate Machine 2.

Yoshata
09-24-2013, 01:06 AM
Didn't think this was enough of a "spotting" to be a post in NIN Spotting...

I'm taking a History of Women in Rock Music class, and I remembered just now that earlier today, my instructor got on the topic of how great covers can reinterpret/enhance the original song. Well, she brought up a certain Johnny Cash cover she couldn't remember the name of involving a needle...I raised my hand and reminded her of the name. She loves the cover (and she knew it was a cover of course), so I assume she's heard the original, too. I thought it was a pretty cool moment. :) It really is interesting to hear what a good cover of something can do to add a whole new level of greatness to the song.

...so, maybe a spotting/random NIN thought hybrid.

wizfan
09-24-2013, 08:56 AM
http://www.stereogum.com/1467231/trent-reznor-albums-from-worst-to-best/list/attachment/ghostsi-iv/

Reznor even took part in the re-mixing himself: Some bits of Ghosts later became songs on The Social Network and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo soundtracks.

I thought only TSN contained Ghosts parts?

EDIT: Also, the writer seems to believe Meathead's Discipline video was official.

fillow
09-24-2013, 09:50 AM

A Thousand Details slightly resembles 32 Ghosts IV, but I wouldn't say anything is sampled there. Other than that I have no idea.

seasonsinthesky
09-24-2013, 10:07 AM
http://www.stereogum.com/1467231/trent-reznor-albums-from-worst-to-best/list/attachment/ghostsi-iv/

EDIT: Also, the writer seems to believe Meathead's Discipline video was official.

indeed, "A Familiar Taste" is a remix of Ghosts 35, and "Magnetic" is a remix of Ghosts 14.

Yoshata
09-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Last night, my sister sent me this cute GIF of Peanuts-style Harry Potter tricking Snape:

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/278/649/8b0.gif

My Mom saw it and thought it was Rob tricking Trent. I don't know that Rob wears glasses, but she doesn't know that either. :)

Halo Infinity
09-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Black Noise would sound like a cool name for an energy drink or beer. :p

slave2thewage
09-25-2013, 10:55 PM
First time listening to Ghosts in about three years. 13 totally reminds me of my ex from the era, after all these years.

scorpiusdiamond
09-26-2013, 06:50 AM
In the recent Fader Oral History, Alan Moulder says about "We're In This Together":

He’s never played that song live. I think there’s a little bit of post-traumatic stress about that track
Um, sorry Alan... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKyxnbjC8KU)

Um, sorry Alan...

mostlymad
09-26-2013, 07:37 AM
In the recent Fader Oral History, Alan Moulder says about "We're In This Together":

Um, sorry Alan...

I thought that too. I remember being horribly jealous of those who got to see it.

LaneSax
09-26-2013, 07:42 AM
I always imagine Napoleon Dynamite dancing whenever I listen to Satellite.

fillow
09-26-2013, 07:49 AM
Even if Alan knew about WITT @ 2007 tour, I think he specifically meant Fragility tour. Trent was fed up with the song at the time. By 2007 he calmed down, but it's irrelevant to the story.

tony.parente
09-26-2013, 08:17 AM
http://images.dazedcdn.com/786x700/dd/1040/4/1044573.jpeg

Anyone else think that trent's been looking pretty elvish lately?

Sutekh
09-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Hmm dunno... He's a bit more gondor

finck totally looks like a high elf or something

I hyperextended my knee a couple of years ago so I don't bother now, but I loved moshing at death metal and HC gigs back in the day... But i have to say, NIN really isn't a mosh band, definitely more of a nodding/dancing affair.

some people don't really listen to the bands but go to the shows to mosh, people are utterly bizarre. I've seen everything from anaal nathrakh to zyklon but still the single most brutal pit I ever saw was manson's holy wood show (london 2001), there were people on the floor getting jumped on, people trying way too hard to be hardcorer than each other (i blame nu metal becoming flavour of the month - around the turn of the century the front few rows of any mildly heavy concert became pits due to boneheads turning up to do the new thing). So yeah, don't feel NIN is a mosh band at all but not surprised a few numpties trickle in

Halo Infinity
09-26-2013, 08:36 AM
@frankie teardrop (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=889) @Piko (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=358) - I've sometimes seen videos or pictures of Trent with a very white face from corn starch and black lipstick. I've always thought that could've been a nod to Jaz Coleman. Did that occur to anybody else here? I also thought that the two of you would've noticed.

Sutekh
09-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Yeah the aatchb dvd starts off with them all in KJ style corpsepaint. Always wondered why

utterben
09-26-2013, 10:24 AM
hyperextended my knee a couple of years ago

hyperpower!

hobochic
09-26-2013, 11:24 AM
I know this is kinda old, but I think Trent's recent comments on Kayne "being the most dangerous artist today" were a waste of time for everyone except for Kanye's little ego. Plus, it was a wasted opportunity to call Kanye out for ripping the style and sound of Niggy Tardust and Saul W.

Yoshata
09-26-2013, 01:50 PM
I always imagine Napoleon Dynamite dancing whenever I listen to Satellite.

(Mute the Napoleon video audio): http://youtubedoubler.com/afZC

LaneSax
09-26-2013, 01:57 PM
hahaha that was brilliant. thank you for that!

eversonpoe
09-26-2013, 01:57 PM

if someone slowed down napoleon so the tempo matched, it would work perfectly.

Yoshata
09-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Yeah, the tempo could match a bit more for the two videos, but I thought it worked decently enough for the moment. :)

Fangster_
09-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Fapping thread's closed, so uh: with those female backing vocals and all, wouldn't Satellite be pretty obvious and awesome in that setting?

EDIT: ohrightfuckme, there are totally other tour threads.

screwdriver
09-26-2013, 04:27 PM
I know this is kinda old, but I think Trent's recent comments on Kayne "being the most dangerous artist today" were a waste of time for everyone except for Kanye's little ego. Plus, it was a wasted opportunity to call Kanye out for ripping the style and sound of Niggy Tardust and Saul W.

I don't hear the "style and sound" of Niggy being ripped at all. I really don't. To my ears, it bites way more from earlier Saul than it does from Niggy-era Saul, and that's only in music. Lyrically, Kanye BRIEFLY touches on similar themes in like two songs, and I just don't hear it beyond that.

Piko
09-26-2013, 06:45 PM
@frankie teardrop (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=889) @Piko (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=358) - I've sometimes seen videos or pictures of Trent with a very white face from corn starch and black lipstick. I've always thought that could've been a nod to Jaz Coleman. Did that occur to anybody else here? I also thought that the two of you would've noticed.

A lot of what Trent does/did has been a nod, in some way, to his influences over the years. Whether it be music, image, or aesthetic. I'd amazed if Killing Joke hasn't influenced him at all. As for the makeup, maybe, or maybe it's just a coincidence. Dunno...

Halo Infinity
09-27-2013, 02:45 PM
I sometimes feel like The Downward Spiral is the most relatable song to me at my lowest points emotionally. I dread that state, but listening to The Downward Spiral just does the trick to pick me right back up from time to time.

Ruined
09-27-2013, 05:54 PM
As the Tensions Tour nears, I find myself hoping that a majority of HM is played. I know it's unlikely to happen; but, it speaks more to how much I enjoy that album. That thought puts a smile on my face.

Halo Infinity
09-27-2013, 06:23 PM
With emotions as fucked up as mine, I am so thankful that Broken, The Downward Spiral, and The Fragile exist. I understand that I can't always just get emotional help from albums alone, but those three releases really hit the fucking spot for me, and have even helped prevent me from going completely and absolutely off the deep end. I think I might've mentioned finding those three releases to be the most relatable to me on an emotional level too. It's like Broken, The Downward Spiral, and The Fragile have provided me hours upon hours of therapy.

henryeatscereal
09-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Maybe lots of you will disagree, but i think this song has a "Pretty Hate Machine-vibe" in it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYzakWz3JxU

Ryan
09-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Yeah the aatchb dvd starts off with them all in KJ style corpsepaint. Always wondered why

Cause AATCHB is an amalgamation of several different shows all put together.

I'm wondering though, was that makeup worn at all shows or only some? And indeed, why?

Prettybrokenspiral
09-27-2013, 10:04 PM
I don't know where else to put this so I'll post it here...

Does anyone know any tricks to getting the NIN Access app to work? From what I can tell, it's absolutely useless on a near-global scale. People from all corners of the world have reported the same problem of the app crashing almost immediately upon launch on a smartphone. Or you get some bullshit "connectivity error" message while downloading six shows at a time off RITC on the same wifi connection.

Does Rob/the band just not give a shit that their app is one of the most beautiful of any musician's, and yet apparently hasn't worked worth a damn for years? Seriously, there's a thread about it on the official forums that dates back to 2010, with people from all over reporting the same issues that virtually render the app useless.

gorny540
09-28-2013, 01:29 AM
With the new 8 person lineup that includes 6 musicians and 2 backup singers, I can't help but think that this would be the most equipped lineup yet to handle playing The Perfect Drug

scorpiusdiamond
09-28-2013, 03:46 AM
With the new 8 person lineup that includes 6 musicians and 2 backup singers, I can't help but think that this would be the most equipped lineup yet to handle playing The Perfect Drug

There should be an FAQ somewhere about this.
Josh Freese confirmed that they rehearsed multiple versions of TPD but Trent was never satisfied with how it ended. That's why it's never been done live, not because of its difficulty to play.

nemesiswontdie
09-28-2013, 05:03 AM

There should be an FAQ somewhere about this.
Josh Freese confirmed that they rehearsed multiple versions of TPD but Trent was never satisfied with how it ended. That's why it's never been done live, not because of its difficulty to play.

From ninwiki:

NIN fan Trollmanen was able to ask ex-drummer Josh Freese (http://www.ninwiki.com/Josh_Freese) about the rehearsal process for the song:
"The one question I asked him was about playing The Perfect Drug live, and how the rehearsal process went for that song and why it never worked out. The first thing he said, without hesitation was that the song itself isn't that difficult to play live on the drums. He said something about the programmed beats part was the only thing that was sort of complicated (it was a little hard to hear him at times, crappy connection), but that it worked live with him playing it. The drumming sounded good and everyone was happy with that. He said the problem with the song was the ending. The whole song was really rocking and pushing through, then you get to the ending and it just never seemed to work. He said they tried four or so different endings to the song. They tried it kinda mellow sounding, and that didn't work. They tried a really aggressive ending, and that didn't work either. They did a simple ending, same result. They just couldn't find an ending to the sound that seemed to do it justice. The thing was that the song sounded really good, but to get to the ending and just not sound good, it was kind of a let down. He said [Trent Reznor] just seemed uninterested with it after a while and they just gave up on it."

Ryan
09-28-2013, 05:43 AM
lol:

http://www.5gig.com/concerts/Nine+Inch+Nails-Saint+Paul-MN

Nine Inch Nails's latest setlist
Roxy Theatre (Atlanta) 21-02-1990
Terrible Lie, Sin, Sanctified, That's What I Get, Get Down, Make Love, Ringfinger, Down in It, Head Like a Hole

Halo Infinity
09-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Somebody got around to putting Pinion into The Eater Of Dreams. And well, it was just like I imagined. (I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.) :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv9Yi6Z-zrk

thefragile_jake
09-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Tuesday I'm taking my younger brother to his first Nine Inch Nails show. This will be my fourth time seeing the band.

It's crazy how much I've engraved NIN into my brother's life as ever since I first started listening to them almost 13 or so years ago. Just from me always having them on, he's incredibly familiar with Trent's body of work and I cannot WAIT for him to see the show.

Amaro
09-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Where is the all time low rehearsal video snippet?

Digital_Man
09-28-2013, 12:46 PM
just look up trent reznor on instagram

Halo Infinity
09-28-2013, 06:32 PM
Did any of you ever picture these kinds of thoughts whenever you were listening to Pilgrimage? There are other ones similar to this, but this one seemed to have the most views so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct9qxEsxsnA

Ryan
09-28-2013, 07:25 PM
Did any of you ever picture these kinds of thoughts whenever you were listening to Pilgrimage? There are other ones similar to this, but this one seemed to have the most views so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct9qxEsxsnA

I always associate the song with Indiana Jones because it happened to be on TV one night while I had the song playing.

binaryhermit
09-28-2013, 08:08 PM
I forgot how great of an album A-With-Uh Teeth-Uh is.

captainbeyond
09-28-2013, 11:45 PM
I got kicked out of a NIN fan facebook group (NIN Our Nothing?) or something like that. For correcting someone who was so sure that an obvious Fragility tour pic of Trent in the cornstarch and makeup was from the Self Destruct tour. Apparently one of their rules is "don't argue against others people's perception."

icklekitty
09-29-2013, 05:03 AM
I forgot how great of an album A-With-Uh Teeth-Uh is.

I was actually trying to recall the setlist to WT earlier and couldn't. I need to listen to that album again.

Amaro
09-29-2013, 08:32 AM
just look up trent reznor on instagram

All this time I thought NIN took it down from their Instagram and Facebook. I forgot about Trent's profile!

hobochic
09-29-2013, 01:39 PM
I'm loving everything about that snippet on instagram: the bass is fat and juicy as fuck and the background singers are complementing Trent's vocals perfectly. It makes me wonder how awesome it would've been with Adrian Belew in the mix. Good times ahead.

Halo Infinity
09-29-2013, 01:50 PM
I got kicked out of a NIN fan facebook group (NIN Our Nothing?) or something like that. For correcting someone who was so sure that an obvious Fragility tour pic of Trent in the cornstarch and makeup was from the Self Destruct tour. Apparently one of their rules is "don't argue against others people's perception."
I didn't even realize that neither was possible. :p

Halo Infinity
09-29-2013, 07:37 PM
I just wanted to share this. I thought it still worked out rather well. This certainly deserves more views too. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI41K-kk34s

Shadaloo
09-30-2013, 10:44 AM
Spoiler for current Tension setlist within:

There is no other song that gets me the same way "A Warm Place" does. In the years that I've been listening to TDS, it's always broken in and given me barrage of feelings; vulnerability, peace, longing, sadness, resignation. There's something so personal about it that's always made me suspect there were specific reasons it was never, ever played live until just before the hiatus. I was jealous, so jealous that TDS was played live in its entirety twice and I couldn't experience that song in person. I might have that chance now, and for that I am overjoyed.

I fail to understand how anyone could take issue with any part of the setlist, as long as that song's there. That's worth hearing all the hits one's heard a few dozen times before, and then some.
I may shed manly tears when they come to Montreal Thursday night. Oh yes.

WorzelG
09-30-2013, 04:51 PM
I'm not sure where to put these as they are not new, but a few interviews from 1994 have been recommended to me on youtube that I have never seen before and were interesting

This one because he's talking about the creation of the Downward Spiral (and how it shouldn't have got in the top 100 let alone to number 2) among other things
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JXFCq5QaE0

and this one amused me because he talks about the english press and how they were a thorn in his side. To be honest I've never even read NME but I'm sure they must be who he's talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKyou9S6xFI

eversonpoe
09-30-2013, 05:16 PM
listening to the 9" vinyl sin single. had totally forgotten what the "long" version of sin sounded like. it's really different, but i kinda love it. the added samples and the altered structure make it an odd experience.

Halo Infinity
09-30-2013, 06:16 PM
The Eater Of Dreams sort of reminds me sleep paralysis. If it was allowed to build up more and more and get louder and louder it really would've captured that vibe. I really wonder if that's what Trent was going for.

Iran_Ed
09-30-2013, 11:23 PM
I think the live version of All Time Low deserves a brass section.

Halo Infinity
10-01-2013, 02:15 AM
This just seemed to come to mind. *Trent Reznor's reaction upon visiting The Meathead Perspective for the very first time.* "What did I slip into?" That could've been used in a flash animation. Damn, if I knew how to do it, I would've done it already. :p

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-01-2013, 02:32 AM
I never thought I'd be so happy to see NIN on stage with backup singers and a saxophone.

Volband
10-01-2013, 06:22 AM
I was reading the 2014 tour guessing thread, and the talk about which band should they tour with... So yeah, about that. Why didn't he ever invited Celldweller is beyond me. That guy is so talented, he always reminded me of Trent. Even if some of you don't like him (wtf), you can't possibly tell me he's worse than Alec Empire torturing us for 30 minutes.

At least bring the guy on the russian/estonian/allthoseweirdvodkacountries leg of the tour, Cell is quite famous there. I'd just like Klayton to be boosted a little bit by NIN, because he definetly doesn't get the recognition he deserves, and I can't see Trent not appreciating his art of work.

Khrz
10-01-2013, 06:39 AM
Even if some of you don't like him (wtf), you can't possibly tell me he's worse than Alec Empire torturing us for 30 minutes.

No offense, but I can. Celldweller has, to me, always been some of the worst, most generic so-called industrial rock outfits out there. Just my opinion, but at least I used to get some kick out of Empire's antics.

Edit : Now, I can understand the appeal. I mean, even though I just sounded like a snub douche, I dust off the old gravity kills and stabbing westwards, and in fact there may be nothing more generic industrial rock than those. But a talented as Reznor or more interesting than Empire ? Nah, not in my opinion.

icklekitty
10-01-2013, 06:41 AM
I think Alec Empire's great live. Madrid 2009 was one of my favourite shows.

wizfan
10-01-2013, 06:49 AM
Trent is aware of Klayton's work. He was spotted wearing a Circle of Dust T-shirt back in the early days. I saw Alec open for NIN in Athens 2009 and loved him. I actually wished he had brought his band and played more, though.

fillow
10-01-2013, 07:10 AM
Please no Celldweller. Totally boring and generic.

Volband
10-01-2013, 07:49 AM
Maybe I just got the worst Alec Empire show ever (well, to be fair, the others didn't really seem to appreciate what he was doing either), but I was like "is this what support acts should do?". Maybe I overhyped him in my mind, cuz I watched some ATR stuff to prepare, and I really liked those. Anyway, he was like "fuck this crowd" and we were like "fuck this guy". He just kept teasing and teasing for 2 mins of good stuff.

No offense, but I can. Celldweller has, to me, always been some of the worst, most generic so-called industrial rock outfits out there. Just my opinion, but at least I used to get some kick out of Empire's antics.

Edit : Now, I can understand the appeal. I mean, even though I just sounded like a snub douche, I dust off the old gravity kills and stabbing westwards, and in fact there may be nothing more generic industrial rock than those. But a talented as Reznor or more interesting than Empire ? Nah, not in my opinion.
Mmm, he experimented with a lot of things (still does that). What's the TDS-everything else but Broken comparison for NIN, it's the early Cell music-Wish Upon A... for Cell. He never went down the road of "make 10 more albums like your first one", and he's getting just as many fanrage (relatively, of course) for experimenting as Trent does.

That alone is not a reason to be praised of course, even I can experiment, it doesn't mean shit, if I actually suck, but his Wish Upon A Blackstar-era songs (which is post your "some of the worst, most generic so-called industrial rock" (which I liked, and he had some crazy stuff back then as well, like The Last Firstborn, which I wouldn't label as industrial), and pre "let's ruin everything with dubstep") are really good. And he's just like Trent in the way that he just can't sit on his ass. Let's make soundtracks, let's make video games, let's make a comic adaptation based on my concept album, for which I'll make the soundtrack for, let's form another musical act with someone I know, let's manage my own stuff, let's try something new, even if my FB wall be all over with "OMG, THIS NEW STUFF IS SO NOT LIKE THE OLD STUFF!", etc.

I like static bands like Rise Againts as well, but I understand why Trent would never want to tour with them (aside from the fact, that they're pretty mainstream anyway), but he got to feel some sympathy towards Klayton, to at least consider throwing him in 4-5 shows to do a 30 mins dj set of his, or I don't know.

Meh, nevermind, I see his kind is not welcomed here.:P

utterben
10-01-2013, 08:42 AM
The Eater Of Dreams sort of reminds me sleep paralysis. If it was allowed to build up more and more and get louder and louder it really would've captured that vibe. I really wonder if that's what Trent was going for.

Totally get that. Would never have put the two together. Nice.

sick among the pure
10-01-2013, 11:41 AM
I never thought I'd be so happy to see NIN on stage with backup singers and a saxophone.

Is it bad that when I heard the sax on While I'm Still Here, I instantly thought "MAYBE THIS MEANS LIVE SAX AND THEN THEY'LL FINALLY HAVE A SEGUE INTO PUREST FEELING?!?!?!?!"

Khrz
10-01-2013, 11:46 AM
http://oi43.tinypic.com/30k4uxc.jpg

ericy210
10-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Is trent to his studio what Jimi Hendrix was to his guitar? Redefining and pushing his instrument to new levels?

butter_hole
10-02-2013, 02:17 AM
Is trent to his studio what Jimi Hendrix was to his guitar? Redefining and pushing his instrument to new levels?
Not really? No. Not at all. Not even close.

Fixer808
10-02-2013, 02:31 AM
I get what you're saying, but no. Hendrix was an exceptional guitar player, and I'd say Trent is an excellent programmer and a competent singer/composer.

The studio isn't an instrument, the studio is where you bring your instruments and put together the layers.

Iran_Ed
10-02-2013, 02:41 AM
The studio isn't an instrument
I believe Brian Eno would disagree with that.

thefragile_jake
10-02-2013, 02:42 AM
So after the NIN 2014 Euro/Australian dates....what do you think is next? Back to HTDA...2nd US leg for Tension 2014 or back to work on new material?

Fixer808
10-02-2013, 02:43 AM
I believe Brian Eno would disagree with that.

He can if he'd like to, but the studio is processing.

eversonpoe
10-02-2013, 08:05 AM

i agree and disagree.

analogy: i am a decent photographer, but i am a wizard in the darkroom. i consider both halves simply a part of the creation.
non-analogy: i am a good musician, able to play many different things, a terrible singer, and a very skilled engineer. i consider all of that a part of the creation.

neorev
10-02-2013, 08:11 AM
I would think a second leg of the Tension Tour... seems like the norm for Trent to do two runs at a different set of venues each time.
And hey, if he's up for it, why not some new music as well? I think it would be neat to release something new, small like an EP or something, for the 2nd run of the tour. He obviously has material leftover, throw some of those demo tracks fleshed out into full on tunes with some remixes and you got yourself a nice little release to sell during the next phase of the tour.

Scarlet Siren
10-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Feel free to announce the UK or even European tour dates right around the end of November... that would suit me just fine :)

WorzelG
10-02-2013, 08:37 AM
^^me too, 2 friends of mine who will want to come are going on a trip to Madagascar for most of October so will be uncontactable to find out what dates ok for them. Going to have to do some off the cuff thinking and maybe get tickets that are unusable (particularly if we go for presale)

Halo Infinity
10-02-2013, 02:15 PM
I sometimes like to imagine what it would have been like listening to Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, and The Downward Spiral in my childhood in elementary school, especially on the school bus. If so, I'd hopefully would've known better than to not curse just because there were curses in some of the songs. I was finishing up the 2nd grade when TDS came out, just to give you an idea of when I was born.

(I probably should've been in the 3rd grade though, but I usually didn't get along with school growing up, and I was born in October. I heard that kids born late in the year also start a year late too. -As I was born in October of 1985.-)

This means I could've been able to listen to all 3 CDs in my childhood on all those school bus rides in the 2nd grade to the 5th grade. (As in the years going no further than the Self Destruct, Outside, and Club tours, as an idea of when TDS was new and fresh with NIN's actual tour in that particular time frame.)

Then again, I'm sure in most normal cases, people born in 1985 or 1986 like myself obviously wouldn't have been allowed to listen to NIN, or go to NIN shows that young, even if they somehow got to know about NIN, and would been most likely "old enough" for NIN by the time The Perfect Drug and The Fragile came out. :p

Halo Infinity
10-02-2013, 03:55 PM
It just hit me again... that nervous yet excited feeling as the NIN tour date draws nearer and nearer. 12 more fucking days.

hobochic
10-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Uh, I just stumbled into this awkward Reptile performance with Peter Murphy hanging upside down. How "gothy" and Spinal Tap of them. Thought I knew everything about this band...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msgGzt-eZlM

frankie teardrop
10-02-2013, 04:58 PM
while his lyric fumbling was borderline obnoxious (but much worse the night before), that was much more impressive in person than watching a youtube clip may imply. brilliant way to start an encore.

ps- in case you're not familiar with bauhaus, murphy has always been theatrical, part of his charm and charisma.

scorpiusdiamond
10-02-2013, 05:07 PM
and as someone who knows something about rigging, the idea of hanging someone like that is terrifying. he had guts to do it.

Fixer808
10-02-2013, 06:56 PM
i agree and disagree.

analogy: i am a decent photographer, but i am a wizard in the darkroom. i consider both halves simply a part of the creation.
non-analogy: i am a good musician, able to play many different things, a terrible singer, and a very skilled engineer. i consider all of that a part of the creation.
Fair enough.

henryeatscereal
10-02-2013, 10:31 PM
Do you guys remember that in between "The Downward Spiral-The Fragile era" Trent said that he was very interested on doing a rap album with Dr Dre?

Obviously that never happened but today i was listening to "The Inevitable Rise and liberation of NiggyTardust" and i was wondering if some of those the ideas and production arrangements came out of that failed collaboration... what do you think?

I remember there even was a picture of Dre and Trent waaay before they were 'planning' to launch Daisy (RIP?) together...

http://i.imgur.com/2dYcayp.jpg

imail724
10-02-2013, 10:56 PM
henryeatscereal that picture exists because Dr dre helped produce Even Deeper

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

captainbeyond
10-02-2013, 11:11 PM
Then again, I'm sure in most normal cases, people born in 1985 or 1986 like myself obviously wouldn't have been allowed to listen to NIN, or go to NIN shows that young, even if they somehow got to know about NIN, and would been most likely "old enough" for NIN by the time The Perfect Drug and The Fragile came out. :p

I was born in 1985 and although I didn't have the albums, I was familiar with Nine Inch Nails....especially the videos of Closer, Wish, and Hurt. When I dove into NIN at about 16, I feel like listening to Broken and The Downward Spiral was like getting a part of my childhood back. The Closer video has a lot of really comforting nostalgia for me. Weird but that somehow makes sense....

Charmingly Miserable
10-02-2013, 11:15 PM
Randome NIN thought: As a teenager, I was scared of Reptile and avoided that song all throughout my 20s. Now that I'm in my early 30s and seeing it played live, I love it.

Fixer808
10-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Oddly enough, it's one of the several "acoustic" versions of NIN songs they have at the karaoke I go to...

screwdriver
10-02-2013, 11:24 PM
I get what you're saying, but no. Hendrix was an exceptional guitar player, and I'd say Trent is an excellent programmer and a competent singer/composer.

The studio isn't an instrument, the studio is where you bring your instruments and put together the layers.

just to add my 2c; or rather, Reznor's:

When sonic landscape is non-keyboard, Trent and company cut, paste, twist and mutate the audio in brilliant NIN fashion. "When it came to instruments that I didn't really know how to play, like the ukulele or the slide guitar," he says, "we were able to get some interesting sounds by making the studio the main instrument."

http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/xart183.shtml

Fixer808
10-02-2013, 11:30 PM
Also a good point. It was the darkroom comparison that clicked it for me.

Halo Infinity
10-02-2013, 11:43 PM
Randome NIN thought: As a teenager, I was scared of Reptile and avoided that song all throughout my 20s. Now that I'm in my early 30s and seeing it played live, I love it.
I like the fact that you ended up loving Reptile. However, seeing Reptile as one of my most favorite songs on The Downward Spiral got me thinking how much that would suck if I wouldn't be able to enjoy it.

Charmingly Miserable
10-02-2013, 11:57 PM
^I love how live versions change my opinions of the studio versions. AATCHB's The Great Below changed my perception of the song.

Some live versions are just better than the studio versions. Case in point: The Wretched and MOTP.

captainbeyond
10-03-2013, 12:09 AM

If you had a choice, would you rather have great songs that sound like shit or mediocre songs that sound amazing?

You can make really amazing beautiful, heavy, and even technical music sound awful in the studio if you don't know what/how to do with it in a correct fashion.
You can make really mediocre, maybe even terrible music sound amazing and creative with a studio if you do know/how what to do with it in a correct fashion.

Halo Infinity
10-03-2013, 12:12 AM
^I love how live versions change my opinions of the studio versions. AATCHB's The Great Below changed my perception of the song.

Some live versions are just better than the studio versions. Case in point: The Wretched and MOTP.
Or Terrible Lie and Down In It. It's one of the reasons why I was always fascinated with the live aspect/entity of NIN. The mere thought of it is awesome to me, just knowing that if a first-timer were to hear Terrible Lie and Down In It live, they'd have no idea about the album version and vice-versa. I always thought that was cool.

hobochic
10-03-2013, 01:06 AM
while his lyric fumbling was borderline obnoxious (but much worse the night before), that was much more impressive in person than watching a youtube clip may imply. brilliant way to start an encore.

ps- in case you're not familiar with bauhaus, murphy has always been theatrical, part of his charm and charisma.

I can imagine it was impressive in person, but yeah, I'm familiar with Bauhaus and that theatrical scene. Although I find his hanging awkward I still think it's pretty awesome and hilarious. I would've loved to be a fly on the wall when Peter laid out his idea just to capture Trent's facial reaction.

butter_hole
10-03-2013, 03:12 AM
@henryeatscereal (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1572) that picture exists because Dr dre helped produce Even Deeper

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
"helped produce"

Vertigo
10-03-2013, 03:37 AM
I remember reading somewhere that the Dre / Trent work connection went two ways, that Trent worked on some of Dre's material (2001 presumably, rather than the mythical Detox) around the same time. Does anyone have any information on the subject? I know he's not credited, but Dre is known for working with unnamed producers.

Emil Dorbell
10-03-2013, 06:24 AM
I wonder if we're in for a few years of NIN now, sort of like 2005-09, where we got A BUNCH of albums, tours and collaborations. God I hope so :)

utterben
10-03-2013, 06:54 AM

Everyone has "Just fallen out of bed" hair. Apart from Lohner. Who looks like he needs to go to bed.

henryeatscereal
10-03-2013, 09:26 AM
I remember reading somewhere that the Dre / Trent work connection went two ways, that Trent worked on some of Dre's material (2001 presumably, rather than the mythical Detox) around the same time. Does anyone have any information on the subject? I know he's not credited, but Dre is known for working with unnamed producers.
I remember that it was back in the same time Reznor said that he was going to be mostly a "Producer"...

I've been looking some info like a madman but i can't seem to find anything... just the stuff about "even deeper" and the "Daisy" streaming service...

Oh and this article (http://www.phatleaks.com/dr-dretrent-reznor-collab/) that doesn't really give much info...

screwdriver
10-03-2013, 09:36 AM
Do you guys remember that in between "The Downward Spiral-The Fragile era" Trent said that he was very interested on doing a rap album with Dr Dre?

Obviously that never happened but today i was listening to "The Inevitable Rise and liberation of NiggyTardust" and i was wondering if some of those the ideas and production arrangements came out of that failed collaboration... what do you think?

I remember there even was a picture of Dre and Trent waaay before they were 'planning' to launch Daisy (RIP?) together...

you've gotta love Charlie:

That picture of me, Trent, Dre, and Danny Lohner was taken at Larrabee studios I think, when Jimmy Iovine wanted to put two of his big acts in the room together and see what happened. We brought a bunch of half-finished tracks from "The Fragile" and experimented for a week or so to see what he could add, and we fiddled with a few of Dre's tracks. I don't remember if anything from those sessions actually made it onto "The Fragile", and I don't think anything we did wound up on "The Chronic 2001" - but that photo would have been from that era, around 1998 or so. That issue of Sound On Sound with the Proteus 2000 on the cover should be a clue.

I'd love to say that the picture depicts me schooling a couple of noobs on how to rock the racks, but it's probably just me setting the MIDI channel on the Triton or something boring like that. I think I'm actually setting up a band-pass filter and some effects on the Triton piano sound to get a tiny distant tone.

I do remember that Dre's rig was just an MPC-3000 with a Triton, a Studio Electronics MiniMoog, a Nord Lead, and some JV type Roland module, and that he'd stripe the tape for six minutes with each part just looping and then build the song arrangement by recording mute automation on the SSL. Live players would record to tape and then be sampled into the MPC, where the parts would get re-looped back to tape so that Dre could build the arrangement on the SSL - at least, that's what he was doing when we were there.

I will say that after a few years of bad New Orleans dirtweed it was definitely nice to get blazed on the quality with Dre, Mel-Man, and Snoop!

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/7583882-post262.html

also, my memory is failing me on the source, but I recall an interview with Reznor and/or Moulder in which they talked about Dre being the mixing assistant on Even Deeper and him sort of being shocked at how many tracks they were using

henryeatscereal
10-03-2013, 12:43 PM
^Awesome, thanks a lot!

Halo Infinity
10-03-2013, 08:40 PM
I'm trying to imagine an acoustic version of Happiness In Slavery after checking out The Becoming on Still again. It's hard not to laugh, but I'm sure it would sound awesome. Could you imagine if Trent did that just for kicks during an encore? :D

Oh, and yes, acoustic NIN is obviously badass. ;)

ZeroisGreg
10-03-2013, 09:16 PM
*edit - moved to proper

Halo Infinity
10-04-2013, 03:06 AM
@screwdriver (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=380) - I wrote this in the wrong thread yesterday. Yeah, something had to be off when I didn't see it in this thread. I've also figured that there could've been other NIN fans that used Pretty Hate Machine to help cope with infatuation. The Downward Spiral sort of does in a way too, especially with Reptile. It's also sort of funny that happened because I also wrote how I thought NIN's lyrics were anything but a weakness in Random NIN Thoughts when I meant to write that in the Controversial Nine Inch Nails Opinions thread.

I can't believe that I didn't say this any sooner, but Pretty Hate Machine helps me cope with infatuation. It's an emotion that's depressing and it hardly makes any sense because it feels like a break-up and in its full-blown state I yearn to be with somebody that never wanted to be with me. I know it's about a break-up, but I sometimes wonder if the loss from infatuation can sort of match a break-up in some ways while still being a completely different things in other ways.

It also turns out that she's going to the same NIN concert I'm going to. Oh dear, bumping into her would be awkward.

eversonpoe
10-04-2013, 09:07 AM
I can't believe that I didn't say this any sooner, but Pretty Hate Machine helps me cope with infatuation. It's an emotion that's depressing and it hardly makes any sense because it feels like a break-up and in its full-blown state I yearn to be with somebody that never wanted to be with me. I know it's about a break-up, but I sometimes wonder if the loss from infatuation can sort of match a break-up in some ways while still being a completely different things in others.

you should check out the new episode of Underneath It All (http://underneathitall.org/), where we discuss Pretty Hate Machine! and i'm actually a contributor on this episode!

tony.parente
10-04-2013, 09:08 AM
The worst part of going to a nine inch nails show is after it's over you no longer have the excitement of looking forward to the nine inch nails show :(

Shadaloo
10-04-2013, 03:59 PM
It pisses me off when people keep calling Bowie's Crystal Japan and A Warm Place 'the same song'. They're distinct enough, dammit.

Halo Infinity
10-04-2013, 04:21 PM
I didn't even think that was possible. Oh well, I guess if you live long enough... :p

Halo Infinity
10-04-2013, 04:26 PM
I'm also beginning to wonder if Trent likes Reese's candy bars too. Wouldn't that be something? Instead of giving Trent a fruit basket you could give him a nice box filled with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Reese's cereal, Reese's candy bars, and perhaps Reese's peanut butter and Nutella or Skippy chocolate spread. :p

Endlessly
10-04-2013, 10:24 PM
Or Terrible Lie and Down In It. It's one of the reasons why I was always fascinated with the live aspect/entity of NIN. The mere thought of it is awesome to me, just knowing that if a first-timer were to hear Terrible Lie and Down In It live, they'd have no idea about the album version and vice-versa. I always thought that was cool.
Exactly - my introduction to NIN was through borrowing a friend's copy of AATCHB. As I eventually picked my way through the rest of the catalog, I found I liked some of the studio versions better, but 10+ years later a lot of PHM still sounds "wrong" to me.

Big Fat Matt
10-04-2013, 10:36 PM
so many punks (from crustpunks to hXc punks and everything in between) love the NINs. I get a lot of "fuck yeah NIN!" for the patch on my shorts, or the block logo on my chucks. most of them are clueless to other music of the same ilk, but know nin better than your average fan.

Ash512
10-05-2013, 09:05 AM
Where is the Photoshop thread?

At a NIN concert, when The Hand That Feeds comes on, douchebags are all like:
http://forgifs.com/gallery/d/164531-1/Excited_baseball_fan.gif

At a NIN concert, when The Hand That Feeds comes on, I'm all like:
http://i.imgur.com/JaqrdML.jpg

When they play A Warm Place, I'm like:
http://forgifs.com/gallery/d/85576-4/Girl-crying-baww.gif

When they play A Warm Place, douchebags are like:
http://vintage.johnnyjet.com/image/PicForNewsletterAug202008BathroomLineAtLincolnCent er.jpg

ETC...

thefragile_jake
10-05-2013, 11:36 AM
The worst part of going to a nine inch nails show is after it's over you no longer have the excitement of looking forward to the nine inch nails show :(

THIS!

It's like a highlight of your entire year and the excitement builds and builds and builds...this was my fourth time seeing them and every time there's like this melancholy feeling I get once it's done. I really felt like that back in 2009 during the NIN|JA tour.

All seeing them does is just make me want to see them again immediately. I have no more availability to take off work but I really wish I was seeing them in Nashville with Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

I really, really hope Trent decides to do a second leg of Tension for North America at some point and hit other markets. I'll make sure I plan out a situation where I try and see them more than once.

hellospaceboy
10-05-2013, 11:43 AM
^^^
That's why I'm so glad I'll see them 3 times in one week at the end of October (and 2 are back to back days). And at least it's not called fuckin' Wave Goodbye and is not advertised as a final tour. So that helps :)

Halo Infinity
10-05-2013, 12:14 PM
you should check out the new episode of Underneath It All (http://underneathitall.org/), where we discuss Pretty Hate Machine! and i'm actually a contributor on this episode!
I'll make sure to check out the entire episode. I only listened to some of it so far, and I wished more album reviews would be done this way, especially on YouTube. Oh, interesting, I was just heard you talk about being 11 when you first heard Sanctified. You're lucky to have been exposed to Nine Inch Nails that early. (Which makes it even more interesting, as the guy that made the "Nine Inch Nails & Children" thread. And yeah, Sanctified is great as a song, but very shitty as an experience. And the Discipline Defense Club? Dressing up like the characters as Meathead? It's nice to see him being mentioned, and it being ironic since you'd think that people that loved The Hand That Feeds would've loved Discipline.

As for understanding the inside you part, I thought of it as both poetic, and in a sexual way... but I was 17 at the time. :p And yeah, I could see that, since a 14 year old would be far more prone to pick up innuendos and double-meanings. Anyway, keep up the good work. It's such a great listen.

pigpen
10-05-2013, 06:53 PM
THIS!

It's like a highlight of your entire year and the excitement builds and builds and builds...this was my fourth time seeing them and every time there's like this melancholy feeling I get once it's done. I really felt like that back in 2009 during the NIN|JA tour.

All seeing them does is just make me want to see them again immediately. I have no more availability to take off work but I really wish I was seeing them in Nashville with Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

I really, really hope Trent decides to do a second leg of Tension for North America at some point and hit other markets. I'll make sure I plan out a situation where I try and see them more than once.

Myself and the dude I went to the St.Paul show were talking about this on the way home.. Next time I definitely want to try to hit more than one show..
I wish I could "deadhead" the whole tour and just follow them around FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

r_z
10-05-2013, 07:14 PM
When they play A Warm Place, I'm like:
http://forgifs.com/gallery/d/85576-4/Girl-crying-baww.gif

Apparently you're not the only one here...

The Flaming Lips ‏@theflaminglips (https://twitter.com/theflaminglips)
Hey @trent_reznor (https://twitter.com/trent_reznor) !!! We are comin to the show tonight!!! Can you please play Warm Place... The long version. And let's hang!!!
Retweeted by Wayne Coyne (https://twitter.com/waynecoyne)
Expand (https://twitter.com/theflaminglips/status/386613715229212674)

SarahConnor
10-06-2013, 12:06 AM
Hesitation Marks remix album?

hobochic
10-06-2013, 04:03 AM
The Flaming Lips ‏@theflaminglips (https://twitter.com/theflaminglips)
Hey @trent_reznor (https://twitter.com/trent_reznor) !!! We are comin to the show tonight!!! Can you please play Warm Place... The long version. And let's hang!!!
Retweeted by Wayne Coyne (https://twitter.com/waynecoyne)

That's awesome, but is there even a short version?

Ryan
10-06-2013, 05:21 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Long version of A Warm Place?

Fred
10-06-2013, 06:40 AM
Hesitation Marks remix album?

Want. But sadly, nothing's been announced. The four remixes that have been released as bonus tracks are extremely interesting. The most fitting NIN remixes since Further Down the Spiral. I'm personally not fond of the Autolux remix, but it fits. It comes out of the exact same mould that Fixed and FDTS do. And it's a remix aesthetic I've really missed, even though I like TFA and Y34RZ3R01ZL33TH4XX0R5.

Another random thought: am I the only one who really likes CBH, but often ends up laughing or, at least, smiling when listening to the song because I think of the hilarious (albeit unintentionally) video?

hobochic
10-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Another random thought: am I the only one who really likes CBH, but often ends up laughing or, at least, smiling when listening to the song because I think of the hilarious (albeit unintentionally) video?

Which leads me to wonder if I'm the only one who thinks the Lynch video is the best NIN video since We're In This Together, or at least since 90's NIN. Not counting rehearsals and live stuff.

binaryhermit
10-06-2013, 08:45 AM
I'm the only one who thinks the Lynch video is the best NIN video since We're In This Together, or at least since 90's NIN.
You might be. The "Came Back Haunted" video makes me feel sick due to its strobetastic nature.

Halo Infinity
10-06-2013, 09:48 AM
I actually like the explosions and symbols that were used in Came Back Haunted. They were kind of like eye-candy to me, even though I hardly watch that video in comparison to other music videos by Nine Inch Nails.

thefragile_jake
10-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Which leads me to wonder if I'm the only one who thinks the Lynch video is the best NIN video since We're In This Together, or at least since 90's NIN. Not counting rehearsals and live stuff.

I might have to agree with this statement.

It's weird and a little disturbing...which always fit the Nine Inch Nails music video mold to me.

Frozen Beach
10-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Considering that they have the female vocals for it, they should play the Stella Soleil mix of A Warm Place.

m15a
10-06-2013, 12:21 PM

i assumed that "the long version" meant that they like the track so much that they want to hear an extra long version.

hellospaceboy
10-06-2013, 01:32 PM

I wanted to like this video SO MUCH, but I just can't... My main problem is that it doesn't seem fitting to the song, I especially dislike the potato-head character. He's very Lynchian, but has nothing to do with NIN. I just wanna punch him!!!

BenAkenobi
10-06-2013, 01:58 PM
i understand not everybody likes “the hand that feeds”, but rubbing it in our faces and calling people you don't know douchebags: http://www.dsvload.net/engine/data/emoticons/facepalm2.gif

Halo Infinity
10-06-2013, 02:00 PM
I actually just took it as a joke. Heck, I like The Hand That Feeds too. But yeah, to be actually serious about that would be lame. :p

Ash512
10-06-2013, 05:48 PM
i understand not everybody likes “the hand that feeds”, but rubbing it in our faces and calling people you don't know douchebags: http://www.dsvload.net/engine/data/emoticons/facepalm2.gif

Oh... I'm not talking about you... I'm talking about genuine overtanned, bulky douchebags with chinese tattoos in the audience. The same ones that were booing at All Time Low in Toronto, punching girls in the pit during March Of The Pigs, talking loudly during The Frail... etc.

Ryan
10-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Wondering why "Please" hasn't been played live on this tour yet.

Ryan
10-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Wondering why "Please" hasn't been played live on this tour yet.

The Great Below as well! Such poignant lyrics.

Halo Infinity
10-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Oh... I'm not talking about you... I'm talking about genuine overtanned, bulky douchebags with chinese tattoos in the audience. The same ones that were booing at All Time Low in Toronto, punching girls in the pit during March Of The Pigs, talking loudly during The Frail... etc.
Oh, that makes it a whole lot clearer. I had no idea about that. I'd also like to say that I also hate the idea of A Warm Place being a bathroom break. WTF? And well... even though bathrooms are and should be a warm place... but still... oh great... the puns just keep on coming with NIN don't they. :p

Ryan
10-06-2013, 06:38 PM

People act like that? Fucking hell.

Halo Infinity
10-06-2013, 06:42 PM
I'm guessing they'd be the same ones that seem to be the most excited for Closer, or "just the hard stuff". I've actually heard some fans that mocked the softer songs, while bitching about them IRL too. Those could be the very same people that @Ash512 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=452) is referring to. One of my friends at the time at the same NIN concert I went to said he heard somebody say that he hated Hurt and how softer NIN songs were basically weak and boring to him.

Ryan
10-06-2013, 06:47 PM
I like how Trent has been just adding the line "LET ME VIOLATE YOU!" to the end of All Time Low live. It's like "lol, that's the closest thing you'll be getting to Closer tonight".

Or to make it even funnier, albeit an old image.

Douche: "WHEN WILL YOU PLAY CLOSER?!"

Trent:

http://i.imgur.com/PZM3N.jpg

m15a
10-06-2013, 09:50 PM
People act like that? Fucking hell.

there are definitely people who come into the pit planning on harassing other fans until those fans (who came hours early to get near the front) give up their spots. (i know this because i've heard them talk about it.) i wouldn't make generalizations about how they look or how big of fans they are because anyone can be a douchebag, really. and as obnoxious as the fans that only want to hear a few songs may be, they shouldn't be put in the same group as people that just want to beat up some nerds.

heh. now i feel better about not getting pit this time around. (EDIT: but, man, i really hope the people around me stand up.)

elevenism
10-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Good god, i'm a little late to the party on this...i've been in jail for some dumb shit. I just want to say, GOOD GOD the remixes on i tunes are a fucking TRIP.

OK everybody...ive been gone for a couple of weeks...what did i miss?

m15a
10-06-2013, 10:58 PM
OK everybody...ive been gone for a couple of weeks...what did i miss?

assuming you were around for the album release, mostly a lot of thumb twiddling waiting for the concerts. :)

elevenism
10-06-2013, 11:08 PM
i saw some footage of one of the Tension
shows, and i swear it looked and sounded like HEAVEN.

Edit: and did i see some chatter about closer not being in the set list? that would be fuking AWESOME.
i wanna see frat boy's heads explode because trent didnt play "fuck you like an animal!"
i guess im kind of a dick for feeling that way but i cant help it

elevenism
10-06-2013, 11:14 PM
good lord, strange energy. listening to the itunes interview. and look, ^^^^^^^^^

edited at 11:11 pm...not on purpose. Sorry for the double post, y'all, but this synchronicity blows my mind.

I feel like maybe "the lights in the sky have finally arrived!"

Kojane
10-07-2013, 11:37 AM
This may or may not be the place to post this but... What are your guys favourite performances from any one NIN song?

Halo Infinity
10-07-2013, 01:44 PM
In retrospect, I wish I didn't miss out on getting the With Teeth jacket. :p

tony.parente
10-07-2013, 02:05 PM
In retrospect, I wish I didn't miss out on getting the With Teeth jacket. :p

With Teeth jacket?
Is there a pic of some kind?

Also is there a database of nin merch that is viewable online?

EDIT:
I found the jacket. Man...remember when nin merch was good?

EDIT EDIT: Man, imagine what this jacket would cost if it existed on this tour. No doubt this thing would cost $250
http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii487/Tikk1011/NIN stuff mostly/DSC_0097.jpg

Charmingly Miserable
10-07-2013, 10:56 PM
I freakin' love With Teeth. I think that is my favorite NIN era.

Leviathant
10-07-2013, 11:34 PM
Man, imagine what this jacket would cost if it existed on this tour. No doubt this thing would cost $250

I seem to recall this jacket cost a lot more than the Red Kap jacket on which the artwork was printed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this was at least $75, right?

re: A database of nin merch - http://www.ninshirts.com is a work in progress on that front, but admittedly, I have a lot of progress to make beyond the initial burst of activity.

WorzelG
10-08-2013, 01:32 AM
Talking of tv appearances, I just find it bizarre that TR was prepared to do so much press for the Social Network film / score, even including going on Tavis Smiley show, but not so much for NIN

simonn
10-08-2013, 01:43 AM
Talking of tv appearances, I just find it bizarre that TR was prepared to do so much press for the Social Network film / score, even including going on Tavis Smiley show, but not so much for NIN

Agreed - particularly with regard to The Slip - I don't remember him talking about that album at all on TV/radio when it was released.

Findus
10-08-2013, 02:11 AM
I'd like to see a Nine Inch Nails album, EP, or single, that has cover art created by Trent.

Vertigo
10-08-2013, 02:58 AM

I'd imagine a large part of it was that the studio was campaigning for the Oscars, they'd have been putting the appearances together. For all we know, Trent might have had a contractual obligation.

There's also the matter of having two kids now, so he may be less inclined to performing the media circus in between rehearsals, touring, putting new projects together and filling out the paperwork to finally get his own real-life porpoise (as opposed to a dream one, or one that is currently transparent).

Halo Infinity
10-08-2013, 08:21 AM
If there are some of you that really never followed Meathead enough to catch the reference, I'll apologize in advance.

Anyway, thanks to him, I was inevitably reminded of the "I Like Dudes" (http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/html/cartoon025.htm) joke when I saw this. And yes, if I had the chance, I'd get it too. :p

http://ninshirts.com/media/cache/products/phmband.bk.a_zoom.png

Halo Infinity
10-08-2013, 06:59 PM
As much as I love NIN, I also hate that nervous feeling before concerts too. (Like thoughts of being late, not finding my seat on time, bathroom breaks, which is why I don't really eat/drink before the show.) I'm getting those antsy jitters right now.

SarahConnor
10-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Better a live album than a remix one, new band is superb.

Charmingly Miserable
10-08-2013, 08:29 PM
As much as I love NIN, I also hate that nervous feeling before concerts too. (Like thoughts of being late, not finding my seat on time, bathroom breaks, which is why I don't really eat/drink before the show.) I'm getting those antsy jitters right now.
I totally understand. I've been planning my timing schedule when I go see NIN in November. I'm gonna have to rush home from work, take a super quick shower and leave. It's a 2 hour drive to Los Angeles excluding traffic. I want to get there and have plenty of time. Hopefully, I will be able to meet some people from here too and I want to stick around to see if they do a M&G after the show. Do they do that? I want to catch Ilan so bad.

Halo Infinity
10-09-2013, 01:43 AM
Now it's making me sort of "Wish" that there was some sort of "Broken" mix/mash-up with Only live. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOtCjBr0Iuw

Halo Infinity
10-09-2013, 02:18 AM
There really should've been an "And it's dawn." meme pic for ETS. :D

http://cdn.meme.li/i/ozvh8.jpg

The word for also looked better being used too. I just noticed it recently, and I felt like squeezing it in here. :p

http://cdn.meme.li/i/p0610.jpg

Ryan
10-09-2013, 03:03 AM
There really should've been an "And it's dawn." meme pic for ETS. :D

http://cdn.meme.li/i/ozvh8.jpg

haha I'm the same.

Halo Infinity
10-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Better a live album than a remix one, new band is superb.
This also got me thinking of hoping for an AATCHB of this decade with it's own Still, but with a YZ+HM sound. :)

Halo Infinity
10-09-2013, 12:43 PM
haha I'm the same.
I'm obviously glad to see that I'm not alone. And on top of that, I feel very at home to be around Nine Inch Nails fans, Nintendo fans, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle fans, Seinfeld fans, and fans of any other kinds of bands and shows I like. I still feel like I should cut it out though. Not that I've been giving trouble, or getting it, but yeah, doing this shit until dawn is not good when you need to get up and go early in the morning for work/school.

Don't get me wrong though, as it's been great on both ETS and NIN.com, but like social-networking sites, even forums can be like Internet crack. :p (I'm really thinking about making a "Random ETS Thoughts" thread too. If anybody wants to beat me to it, please feel very free to do so.) :)

Scarlet Siren
10-10-2013, 02:21 PM
I fucking love so many of you NIN fans so much right now. People have shown me such much kindness and generosity over the past few weeks in helping me out with my trip in different ways. Amazing!

I can't wait to thank you for myself next month!

somethingelse
10-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Professionally filmed Ghosts I-IV played live at the Sydney Opera House, followed with the release of Ghosts V-VIII soonerishly after.
Ahhhhh a man can dream though. A man can dream.
YZ2 can wait.

Halo Infinity
10-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Seeing this got me to wonder what Alex Jones would've thought of Year Zero. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=repeim5qA1M

binaryhermit
10-10-2013, 08:32 PM
You do realize that Alex Jones is completely batshit crazy, right?

SarahConnor
10-10-2013, 11:09 PM
Adding the additional singers is a master stroke. I mean they sound fucking brilliant, ambient-funk band transformation is perfect.

Halo Infinity
10-11-2013, 11:08 AM
You do realize that Alex Jones is completely batshit crazy, right?
That's why I was still wondering what he would say about Year Zero after doing something like that. I also meant to say that partially in jest, as I've also caught videos of him at his craziest too. :p

captainbeyond
10-12-2013, 01:20 AM
The percussion break and outro of "Satellite" (2:50 - end) is absolutely great. The song hasn't really been one of my preferred favorites from the new album but that part is one of the coolest parts on the album. It sounds like a blend of all his styles. The dub reggae sounding echo on his voice at 2:50 is badass.

Anyone think that the progression that starts at 3:04 is the same as "Black Noise?"

Halo Infinity
10-12-2013, 01:17 PM
As far as Nine Inch Nails related things go, all I can really think about right now is just resting up and recovering for the actual concert (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1748-2013-10-14-Brooklyn-NY-Barclays-Center) I'll attending in just a mere two days. I was at the verge of getting a full-blown cold. Talk about lame. It seems to be going away right now though as I'm not giving it a chance to overtake me.

screwdriver
10-12-2013, 02:10 PM
As far as Nine Inch Nails related things go, all I can really think about right now is just resting up and recovering for the actual concert (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1748-2013-10-14-Brooklyn-NY-Barclays-Center) I'll attending in just a mere two days. I was at the verge of getting a full-blown cold. Talk about lame. It seems to be going away right now though as I'm not giving it a chance to overtake me.

I have been working like 18 hour days the past week, and have had a crazy fever the past few nights, so much so that my bed was just drenched in sweat... BUT NOTHING CAN STOP ME NOW

Halo Infinity
10-12-2013, 11:59 PM
I've always imagined what the following would look were it not for ETS being chosen for the forum title. :p

timestartsslowingdown

sinkuntilidrown

everythingisclear

ierasethefear

icandisappear

Ryan
10-13-2013, 12:46 AM
With "In Two" played tonight, we're now just missing The Eater Of Dreams and Everything. Reckon they'll appear?

butter_hole
10-13-2013, 05:48 AM
With "In Two" played tonight, we're now just missing The Eater Of Dreams and Everything. Reckon they'll appear?
eater of dreams appears as walk-in music doesn't it? everything got rehearsed, so its only a matter of time

Ryan
10-13-2013, 06:35 AM
Maybe Just Once live... orgasm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xVE7mZWTRs

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-13-2013, 09:04 AM

We all know they're saving the best for last with "Everything." ;)

I actually think that would be a good one to hear live, especially given that nearly every live version of an HM track I've heard so far sounds as good if not better than the original.

Halo Infinity
10-13-2013, 02:45 PM
I have been working like 18 hour days the past week, and have had a crazy fever the past few nights, so much so that my bed was just drenched in sweat... BUT NOTHING CAN STOP ME NOW
Yeah... thanks to this post, Piggy is going to be playing in my mind on the way to the NIN show. :D

blassster
10-13-2013, 02:52 PM
I did some toying around with the CRC Sessions files. I first had a 192kbps mp3 copy, but recently got a lossless version (just checked that it's the same one that's on RITC). I thought that the mp3 version sounded much better, it almost sounded like a different recording altogether. The lossless one sounded tinny and the vocals were drowned. Looked at the spectros on each, decided to do some low pass filter under 16000 Hz to approach matching the data of the mp3 version. They started to almost sound the same after filtering.

So... just a random discovery -- though the lossless copy is obviously the original quality and objectively superior, lossless sounded a bit worse to me due to being drowned in junk noise from the high freqs. I just made my own edit of the lossless with a slight rolloff, but not as low at 16k.

sick among the pure
10-13-2013, 09:52 PM
Should probably post this in controversial NIN opinions topic, but I think I want to see Maybe Just Once live more than TPD.
I want a time machine.

seasonsinthesky
10-14-2013, 10:31 AM
I did some toying around with the CRC Sessions files. I first had a 192kbps mp3 copy, but recently got a lossless version (just checked that it's the same one that's on RITC). I thought that the mp3 version sounded much better, it almost sounded like a different recording altogether. The lossless one sounded tinny and the vocals were drowned. Looked at the spectros on each, decided to do some low pass filter under 16000 Hz to approach matching the data of the mp3 version. They started to almost sound the same after filtering.

So... just a random discovery -- though the lossless copy is obviously the original quality and objectively superior, lossless sounded a bit worse to me due to being drowned in junk noise from the high freqs. I just made my own edit of the lossless with a slight rolloff, but not as low at 16k.

how long had you been listening to it in MP3? that's usually the source of preference in these cases, although i don't disagree there's some unneeded hiss at the top end of those CRC recordings.

blassster
10-14-2013, 10:42 AM
how long had you been listening to it in MP3? that's usually the source of preference in these cases, although i don't disagree there's some unneeded hiss at the top end of those CRC recordings.

A few years. I haven't listened to them for a while until last week, then I got around to comparing these files because they didn't sound as I remembered. When TR says something with an "S" or "T" it sounds kinda scratchy.

henryeatscereal
10-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Cool moment yesterday: I went to see Queens of the Stone Age, at a festival in my hometown with a Mastodon T Shirt and i was waiting in the foodcourt line when a guy with a brand new NIN Tension T Shirt approached to me, we both made approval gestures about our shirts and went our separate ways...