PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

implanted_microchip
10-03-2018, 12:42 PM
Considering Trent in that one interview saying they’re not stopping with NIN until “one of us dies,” I wouldn’t be surprised if we get another period of somewhat regular releases like With Teeth through The Slip. I’d love to see HTDA come back for a bit and do a proper longer tour, seeing Parasite in Vegas reminded me how good those songs are and the strength they can have live and I never got to see them. I’m not expecting much downtime from Trent for a while now even if we don’t see endless tours, I still think there’ll be more dates next year. They skipped enough markets to have a solid second leg and Trent is having too much fun.

dedevoce
10-03-2018, 06:23 PM
Reading this discussion last night got me waking up with this song in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yol9Slw-Pg

Eventually, and I've said this before, I sort of expect NIN to go into Still mode.
That would be an awesome way to age gracefully.

While Still is awesome, I say "fuck aging gracefully." As someone past their teen years yourself, I hope you agree. <3 Personally, I plan on changing my name to Peter Mother Fucking Pan.

elevenism
10-03-2018, 07:40 PM
There will be no YZ2; TRI is the closest we will get.

My guess is that the next album will be.... HTDA. MQ must be ready by now and in need of a creative burst, I'm surprised she's gone this long. Must be hard for an artist to go this long without producing; maybe she's been writing; I'd love some updates.

My guess the next NIN album will be in 4-5 years and will be more structured and less abstract and venturous than TRI.
You want to make this interesting?

If trump is still in office, I'd bet money that we get SOME sort of intensely political YZ throwback/sequel thing in 21 or 22, even if it's just an ep.

Also, the fuck is TRI? What'd I miss,.guys? Edit: OH. Do you mean Trilogy? Is that a thing now?

ALSO, @dedevoce (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=6825)s , PART of me wants to argue with you, but it just occurred to me that Bowie sort of said "fuck aging gracefully" and never really changed , except for the part where he always changed but...:/
Y'all know what I mean.

GibbonBlack
10-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Also, the fuck is TRI? What'd I miss,.guys?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Nine Inch Nails fan's suck at using acronyms. You need a codex to understand anything!

Although I have stopped thinking when I see TDTWWA, unless someone gets it wrong and puts TDTWWWA and I have to think if a new songs been released.

Steven
10-05-2018, 11:07 AM
I'll totally forget about a song or two on the Fragile or Hesitation Marks then re listen to them and remember how much they're awesome.

mauro995
10-06-2018, 11:06 AM
Bad Witch made me listen again the Lost Highway soundtrack after a long time and I just made a playlist with the new stuff and the previous Reznor-Lynch collaborations that works great as a whole.

1-Videodrones; Questions
2-The Perfect Drug
3-Shit Mirror
4-Ahead of Ourselves
5-Came Back Haunted
6-Play The Goddamned Part
7-God Break Down The Door
8-I'm Not From This World
9-She's Gone Away
10-Driver Down
11-Over and Out

WorzelG
10-06-2018, 11:42 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Nine Inch Nails fan's suck at using acronyms. You need a codex to understand anything!

Although I have stopped thinking when I see TDTWWA, unless someone gets it wrong and puts TDTWWWA and I have to think if a new songs been released.
The worst acronym is the whole While I’m Still Here WISH or Wish confusion

Reaps
10-07-2018, 03:54 PM
Never understood why you folks use acronyms anywhoo, what.. you lot about to board a train and need to shortcut a post?? The Whole Wide World Went Away gets a pass though..

GibbonBlack
10-07-2018, 10:47 PM
The Whole Wide World Went Away gets a pass though..

The day the whoOoOoOle world, went away,
The day the whole wide world, went away

:rolleyes:

Demogorgon
10-10-2018, 04:19 PM
Strvngers covering "Closer": https://www.revolvermag.com/music/hear-darkwave-duo-strvngers-lascivious-nine-inch-nails-closer-cover

elevenism
10-11-2018, 02:34 PM
So like
Seeing Mr Self Destruct live (for the first time in 23 years) in Denver, I realized that it's a warning, and an utterly fucking terrifying one at that.

I sure do wish 14 year old me understood what "the high you can't sustain" actually meant.

When he said "I am a silencing machine/I am the end of all your dreams," yeah, I was like " oh god. Oh, fuck. "

zecho
10-11-2018, 06:06 PM
Strvngers covering "Closer": https://www.revolvermag.com/music/hear-darkwave-duo-strvngers-lascivious-nine-inch-nails-closer-cover

Musically that's not a terrible cover, but dear lord are those vocals embarrassing. He's not a particularly bad singer, but that was the most try-hard edgy shit I've heard in a while. And no one should ever have ad-libs in a cover, ever. Especially not in an effort to show how dark and cool they are. Ugh.

neorev
10-11-2018, 09:54 PM
Now that we got The Perfect Drug live... Dear @teitan (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=109) how about And All That Could Have Been? ;)
Also that Hand Covers Bruise Intro into Beside You In Time is stellar as well. Just saying. :)

Those are probably my big 3 wishes to hear live.

Steven
10-13-2018, 12:04 AM
Now that we got The Perfect Drug live... Dear @teitan (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=109) how about And All That Could Have Been? ;)
Also that Hand Covers Bruise Intro into Beside You In Time is stellar as well. Just saying. :)

Those are probably my big 3 wishes to hear live.

If I heard And All That Could Have Been live I think I would just be done with all music after that forever, like what's the point after that?

Halo Infinity
10-13-2018, 11:50 AM
I was listening to Bad Witch and have noticed that the saxophone parts from Play the Goddamned Part reminded me of the Ganon/Ganondorf theme from The Legend of Zelda. I'm not sure if that was already mentioned though, and if it was also noticed, I doubt it's going to be as widely thought of as the Final Fantasy theme reference to All Time Low. As a result, Play the Goddamned Part became even more of a favorite.

Aside from that, I definitely needed to let Bad Witch grow on me. Shit Mirror and Over and Out are still my go-to songs though.

thenorthwood
10-14-2018, 11:32 PM
Currently listening to the Gone Girl soundtrack. Regardless of how often I listen to it, the last song catches me off guard every time. Silence (or almost silence) and I think to myself I need to put something else on, but then that ominous ending explodes from my speakers and I stop in my tracks.

snaapz
10-15-2018, 11:00 AM
Currently listening to the Gone Girl soundtrack. Regardless of how often I listen to it, the last song catches me off guard every time. Silence (or almost silence) and I think to myself I need to put something else on, but then that ominous ending explodes from my speakers and I stop in my tracks.

I literally just put a post in the OST section about this track!!

And ya, the last bit scares me. I'm pretty sure this track is an actual living demon beast.

snaapz
10-15-2018, 02:46 PM
The problem with super rich NIN fans is they can fuck us over when it comes to auctions. I tried my damnedest to win one of the tour Roland keyboards... and I would have done anything to win one of the Fragile Les Pauls (I knew immediately I had no chance).

Needless to say I didn't win a god damn thing. I'm actually surprised someone like Jack Osborn didn't just buy everything.... Albeit I would have if I had millions.

> What ever happened to all the Fragile guitars? < There was a site that listed all the items and selling price... but no stories....?

ryanmcfly
10-15-2018, 03:04 PM
> What ever happened to all the Fragile guitars? < There was a site that listed all the items and selling price... but no stories....?

I think Jason Hook (a guitarist for Five Finger Death Punch) was able to get one of them. I think he has a soft spot for The Fragile, but that's the last i heard of it.

snaapz
10-15-2018, 07:51 PM
^ I need to become friends with this 5FDP guitarist!

katara
10-16-2018, 02:47 AM
the saxophone parts from Play the Goddamned Part reminded me of the Ganon/Ganondorf theme from The Legend of Zelda.
Nine Inch Nails - Theme for Legend of Zelda.mp3

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-16-2018, 08:51 AM
Nine Inch Nails - Theme for Legend of Zelda.mp3

If Trent Reznor walks out on stage with an ocarina I’m gonna lose my shit.

Halo Infinity
10-16-2018, 07:40 PM
Just to merely imagine how that would translate A Warm Place, La Mer or Leaving Hope. (Or any other song for that matter, but those were the 3 songs were certainly first to came to mind.)

nooneimportant
10-17-2018, 02:41 AM
https://i.imgur.com/RuaPe67.png

Ribbitman
10-18-2018, 03:41 PM
4:15 to 4:47 in All the Love In the World is one of the greatest moments in music, ever

roolfdriht
10-19-2018, 09:45 AM
Suspect the odds are slim to none, but I could really use a full album of Trilogy remixes.

I for one loved YZR and (in general) find remixes add longevity to already strong tracks.

buckaroo
10-19-2018, 09:50 AM
Suspect the odds are slim to none, but I could really use a full album of Trilogy remixes.

I for one loved YZR and (in general) find remixes add longevity to already strong tracks.

Didn't Trent sort of elude to something along these lines in a recent interview. Not necessarily traditional remixes, but reworked versions of the songs as a single album. Band remixes / alternate versions worked into a single album type release would be awesome in my opinion.

roolfdriht
10-19-2018, 10:03 AM
Didn't Trent sort of elude to something along these lines in a recent interview. Not necessarily traditional remixes, but reworked versions of the songs as a single album. Band remixes / alternate versions worked into a single album type release would be awesome in my opinion.

I must have missed that one, but I love that concept! Even if it were just "live in rehearsals" recordings like we got for With Teeth and The Slip, I'd be thrilled.

neorev
10-19-2018, 01:20 PM
I would love for NIN to perform The Fragile in full one day. Really make it special and expand the live band. It would be great if he got the two female vocalists from the Tension Tour back and perhaps bring in another guitarist/bassist/multi-instrumentalist and a small 3-4 piece string section.

snichols
10-19-2018, 01:26 PM
i personally miss the remix ep/lp side of nin. for hesitation marks we had the "seed 8" remix digital ep, and i would be grateful for something along those lines for the trilogy.

botley
10-19-2018, 01:32 PM
I would love for NIN to perform The Fragile in full one day. Really make it special and expand the live band. It would be great if he got the two female vocalists from the Tension Tour back and perhaps bring in another guitarist/bassist/multi-instrumentalist and a small 3-4 piece string section.
Yes, this please! Bring back Pino, Sharlotte, and Lisa, plus the string section from the Bridge School shows. Two nights at Massey Hall when it re-opens just in time for the 20th anniversary of The Fragile... I'll bring the legal weed! [/dreaming]

neorev
10-19-2018, 01:45 PM
Yes, this please! Bring back Pino, Sharlotte, and Lisa, plus the string section from the Bridge School shows. Two nights at Massey Hall next year when it re-opens just in time for The Fragile's 20th anniversary... I'll bring the legal weed!

Yeah, Pino was awesome! I'd love him back. They may have to spread it across 2 nights. Could even bring out guests like Wave Goodbye. Get Mike Garson out. Of course, this will be the vinyl tracklist with The New Flesh and 10 Miles High and why not add Appendage for fun. 20th anniversary is almost upon us.

neorev
10-19-2018, 02:06 PM
teitan
I would love to have a lossless copy of Nine Inch Nails' version of David Bowie's I Can't Give Everything Away and would happily pay. I know Trent didn't want to make money off it and the passing of Bowie, but perhaps he could put it up for sale somewhere like Bandcamp and have the money go to a charity or something in Bowie's honor. It's just sad that this beautiful and special rendition is only available in crumby lossy MP3 compression. It deserves more than that.

cahernandez
10-19-2018, 03:13 PM
From the Stereogum.com interview:

STEREOGUM: Do your kids like your music?
REZNOR: The little they’ve been allowed to listen to. [Laughs]

I definitely cracked a smile when I read this! I wonder which songs they've listened to :)

Max
10-19-2018, 04:00 PM
Where is the mp3 of I can’t give everything away?!

Halo Infinity
10-19-2018, 04:14 PM
4:15 to 4:47 in All the Love In the World is one of the greatest moments in music, ever
While I very much agree with you, I'd only change 4:15 to 3:12 as I love the way it builds up to 4:15 - 4:47. But yes. It's definitely one of my most favorite parts of the song and even With Teeth as a whole. :)

bobbie solo
10-19-2018, 04:15 PM
From the Stereogum.com interview:

STEREOGUM: Do your kids like your music?
REZNOR: The little they’ve been allowed to listen to. [Laughs]

I definitely cracked a smile when I read this! I wonder which songs they've listened to :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSwKpbGZe5Y

bobbie solo
10-19-2018, 04:17 PM

https://soundcloud.com/martin-taylor-11/i-cant-give-everything-away-farewell-mix

zecho
10-19-2018, 06:21 PM
bobbie solo's link is a live version. NIN actually uploaded a studio version on soundcloud anonymously before they ever even played it live. Unfortunately they took down the soundcloud account, so you can't get it straight from the source anymore. Google around for it and you should be able to find it. If you can't, PM me and I'll find a way to get it to you.

botley
10-20-2018, 03:29 AM
Together... 'The Day The World Went Away' (The Fragile, Still, Quiet) is the best song Trent has ever written.

'The Day The World Went Away' (The Fragile, Still, Quiet) is the best song Trent has ever written.
'The Day The World Went Away' (The Fragile, Still, Quiet) is the best song Trent has ever written.

Hooooo-ooooooh...

(live Fragility version chimes in)

'The Day The World Went Away' (The Fragile, Still, Quiet) is the best song Trent has ever written!

'The Day The World Went Away' (The Fragile, Still, Quiet) is the best song Trent has ever written!

"YAAH-OOH!" *power chords*

BenAkenobi
10-20-2018, 03:34 AM
U guys r nuts. Down In It is where it's at! Period.

Halo Infinity
10-20-2018, 02:56 PM
I think there will be a new studio album in the first quarter of 2019.
I don't know why I didn't think of saying this sooner. Anyway, I'm going to ballpark it around 2020 being the earliest and 2023 being the latest at this rate, just based on previous experience and overall happenings.

I sometimes forget how lucky and spoiled we've been from 2005-2018. Perhaps it's also the Internet being very synonymous with instant gratification, but with that many releases, including the the releases outside of NIN, would be something I'm sure fans would've killed for between The Downward Spiral, The Fragile and With Teeth.

I was just thinking about this again, because Not The Actual Events only came out 3 years after Hesitation Marks, and then Add Violence and Bad Witch coming out just year by year afterwards. I sometimes had to stop for a moment and just take that in, which makes me very grateful. It also occurred to me that my question about NIN coming out with other EPs was also answered, and liked how they can hold up to Broken and Still in terms of storylines and aesthetics.

Halo Infinity
10-21-2018, 07:08 AM
Seeing Trent take down the exit sign and seeing him get carried off like that is still one of the my most favorite and overall satisfying highlights from Closure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ7Td-TVHeY

AThousandDaysBefore
10-21-2018, 01:19 PM
Right where it belongs > Right where it belongs v2
Something I can never have (still)> Something I can never have (album version)

wizfan
10-22-2018, 02:51 PM
Video game music composer Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill) has said that Trent is his "main inspiration". I just found out about that and was pleasantly surprised. http://www.musicjapanplus.jp/specialfeatures/8502/akira-yamaoka-interview-in-spain-at-play-fest/page/2/

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-22-2018, 04:36 PM
Video game music composer Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill) has said that Trent is his "main inspiration". I just found out about that and was pleasantly surprised. http://www.musicjapanplus.jp/specialfeatures/8502/akira-yamaoka-interview-in-spain-at-play-fest/page/2/

Akira’s the coolest! The Silent Hill soundtracks and Trent’s music totally occupy the same space musically. Love to see TR work on some Silent Hill-related project someday.

klyrish
10-23-2018, 08:59 AM
I can't be the first to notice this, but the "tick" synth intro to "Somewhat Damaged" sounds almost exactly like the "tick" synth in "Now I'm Nothing" with it slightly slowed down in "Now I'm Nothing."

WorzelG
10-23-2018, 11:25 AM
Trent working on Silent Hills with Akira Yamaoka would have been my idea of gaming heaven. Still so sad Silent Hills never came to be

opal
10-25-2018, 02:59 AM
I gave Hesitation Marks a spin the other day and I really enjoyed Everything.

nooneimportant
10-25-2018, 05:07 AM
I can't be the first to notice this, but the "tick" synth intro to "Somewhat Damaged" sounds almost exactly like the "tick" synth in "Now I'm Nothing" with it slightly slowed down in "Now I'm Nothing."

Holy shit you're right.

klyrish
10-25-2018, 07:09 AM
Holy shit you're right.
:D

The 2018 version of "Now I'm Nothing" sounds...spruced up. But if you compare the "tick" synth in 2009 "Now I'm Nothing" to the reworked "Somewhat Damaged," the two sound, for all intents and purposes, identical.

Fred
10-25-2018, 07:19 AM
:D

The 2018 version of "Now I'm Nothing" sounds...spruced up. But if you compare the "tick" synth in 2009 "Now I'm Nothing" to the reworked "Somewhat Damaged," the two sound, for all intents and purposes, identical.

I'm pretty sure they are. I always thought was identical. That kind of recycling has never really been out of the question for NIN. Think 38 Ghosts IV/Demon Seed, The Good Soldier/Reptile (the one with Peter Murphy), or the TDS Mellotron in 10 Miles High.

Andallthatcouldhavebeen
10-25-2018, 07:57 AM
Listened to purest feeling on repeat a lot lately. This song is one I enjoy, and dont ever get tired of. Hot sax!

klyrish
10-25-2018, 08:23 AM
I'm pretty sure they are. I always thought was identical. That kind of recycling has never really been out of the question for NIN. Think 38 Ghosts IV/Demon Seed, The Good Soldier/Reptile (the one with Peter Murphy), or the TDS Mellotron in 10 Miles High.
Absolutely! That's one of the many things I love so much about NIN: lyrical and musical motif references throughout and across albums. It makes it feel even more like everything is connected.

neorev
10-25-2018, 11:25 AM

Reptile synths in A Minute To Breathe.
A part of me thinks A Minute To Breathe would work with the trilogy theme. It seems fitting with Burning Bright.

TinDefacto
10-25-2018, 12:35 PM
A part of me thinks A Minute To Breathe would work with the trilogy theme. It seems fitting with Burning Bright.
I wonder if they'd ever do that live... Probably not, but maybe if they ever tour their score work in some capacity (perhaps mixed with Ghosts or Still music?). That'd be awesome.

ryanmcfly
10-25-2018, 12:51 PM
I wonder if they'd ever do that live... Probably not, but maybe if they ever tour their score work in some capacity (perhaps mixed with Ghosts or Still music?). That'd be awesome.

I feel like A Minute to Breathe has to be the most likely of all the score stuff to get played live at this point.

TinDefacto
10-25-2018, 01:54 PM
I feel like A Minute to Breathe has to be the most likely of all the score stuff to get played live at this point.
Hmm, I could potentially see that... who would have seen "What If We Could?" coming though? I also think perhaps the vocals on "A Minute To Breathe" might be too difficult to pull off live, but then, they've been doing "This Isn't The Place" without a hitch, so who knows. They were all "This is NOT a NIN song" when it was released though, so maybe they want it to keep its distance for the time being.

Whatever the case, I'm gonna hold my breath (tee-hee), but it would be cool if that happened eventually.

buckaroo
10-25-2018, 02:00 PM
They were all "This is NOT a NIN song" when it was released though, so maybe they want it to keep its distance for the time being.

I always took that as a way of them letting fans know at the time that the promised "new nin" was still coming and not distancing themselves from the track.

botley
10-25-2018, 02:01 PM
I don't see NIN doing any more score stuff onstage, but TR&AR may do a 'solo tour' with other musicians, kinda like those Hans Zimmer gigs with the live orchestra scoring scenes from all the films he's done.

TinDefacto
10-25-2018, 02:36 PM
I always took that as a way of them letting fans know at the time that the promised "new nin" was still coming and not distancing themselves from the track.
Right, sorry; I didn't mean it like that! I just meant that maybe they were trying to keep NIN and their score stuff separate, but you're right in that maybe they just meant that this wasn't the NIN that was coming.

I don't see NIN doing any more score stuff onstage, but TR&AR may do a 'solo tour' with other musicians, kinda like those Hans Zimmer gigs with the live orchestra scoring scenes from all the films he's done.
Yeah, that's more along the lines of what I was thinking. I really hope they do something like that at some point, even many years from now; that'd be amazing.

Jetvet1975
10-25-2018, 03:17 PM
Anybody hear of a NIN cover band called Sin? They're playing on Long Island tomorrow and thinking of checking them out.

Fred
10-26-2018, 03:15 AM
Absolutely! That's one of the many things I love so much about NIN: lyrical and musical motif references throughout and across albums. It makes it feel even more like everything is connected.Agree completely. I get the feeling that Trent has been digging into Frank Zappa's "conceptual continuity." (http://in-disciplined.com/?p=315) Especially in regards to the lyrics of the Trilogy.

3knic
10-26-2018, 11:29 AM
Robin's guitar work on the live version of Less Than is amazing. I just feel like the synths are drowned out live. I'd love to hear a studio version with the inclusion of the extra guitar riff

joplinpicasso
10-26-2018, 12:47 PM
Robin's guitar work on the live version of Less Than is amazing. I just feel like the synths are drowned out live. I'd love to hear a studio version with the inclusion of the extra guitar riff

It's in there! Barely, though.

StockAvuryah
10-26-2018, 12:48 PM

With the sax hopefully !

3knic
10-26-2018, 01:02 PM
It's in there! Barely, though.
I did notice it in there at times, kind of drowned out and quiet. I love that they really maximize the potential of it live though! I wish I had some multi tracks so I could just mix it myself

neorev
10-27-2018, 08:36 PM
Holy shit, I recently tagged teitan on Oct. 11th and posted how amazing it would be to see/hear And All The Could Have Been live and also gave Hand Covers Bruise into Beside You In Time a mention...

But boom! And All That Could Have Been is played! Love you teitan

Halo Infinity
10-27-2018, 10:18 PM
I've been watching Kinda I Want To, That's What I Get and Ringfinger over and over from time to time, and just hoped that they somehow make it onto the setlists again, or if there ever will be a chance for a Pretty Hate Machine show, especially/considering now that The Downward Spiral and Broken were performed in their entirety.

(Along with songs like Happiness In Slavery, The Perfect Drug, And All That Could Have Been and All The Love In The World being performed.)

I still can't get enough of them, and have always wondered how they'd end up live these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC6RFjgOncE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYjKlhy0GKc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJiUF0nbFt4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXJOtp2fmro

Never understood why you folks use acronyms anywhoo, what.. you lot about to board a train and need to shortcut a post?? The Whole Wide World Went Away gets a pass though..
I almost forgot to bring this point up, since it has to do with not using acronyms. In a way, typing it all out also makes for better search results on Google as well, so there's also no mistake of what a NIN would be, should somebody look up NIN and end up here. ;)

But I still totally understand sometimes, as some titles are just too long, but I still see your point to as I often type out the full names, yet also still go back to some acronyms here and there depending on the post/thread.

piggy
10-27-2018, 11:59 PM
I was listening to NIN tonight on shuffle on iTunes and it played "We're In This Together" followed by "The Background World". It transitioned perfectly. Very cool.

BenAkenobi
10-28-2018, 02:18 AM
Holy shit, I recently ... posted how amazing it would be to see/hear And All The Could Have Been live and also gave Hand Covers Bruise into Beside You In Time a mention...

and then Steven replied he
would just be done with all music after that forever, like what's the point after that?
so, our condolences to Steven. No more music for you :D

Steven
10-28-2018, 02:21 AM
and then @Steven (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=6712) replied he
so, our condolences to Steven. No more music for you :D

ONLY if I was there in person to experience it live. I was ONE day off!!!! Ooof but man I got to see the show tonight and it was near perfect so I can't complain.

snichols
10-28-2018, 03:16 AM
so im sitting in a dunkin dounuts since 1 am cause my train doesnt leave until 740 and union station doesnt open till 5 am. kinda fucked that one up. should have planned my night a little better. oh well, a woman i met at the show tonight recommended The Soft Moon so i listening to the Criminal record via youtube.

neorev
10-28-2018, 09:52 PM
I want Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, Alessandro Cortini, and Jack Dangers to form a new electronic supergroup. Someone make this happen, please.

TinDefacto
10-29-2018, 09:24 AM
Y'ALL, I was listening to PHM and I just realized... I think HLAH has some sax in it too!!

Maybe this has already been discussed, and sorry if I'm just overexcited and a month late, but at 3:12 there's a weird sound the starts in the right channel and then repeats in the left. I've always just thought it was some sort of animal screeching, but... now I'm convinced it's a saxophone.

It would also make sense to me that there's more sax on Pretty Hate Machine than just the weird Sin "whistle" thing -- given Trent's recent interview of how there was some saxophone on the record, it would be weird if that single pitched-up sample was all he was referring to.

But maybe I'm totally wrong! Who knows!

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-29-2018, 11:57 AM
I can't listen to this song and not get chills. Seeing it in Kansas City was one of my favorite parts of that tour. My video was either shot with a shitty digital camera or an old phone (I forget) so the quality isn't great, but that wall of light behind the band was really beautiful in person. The Kimmel performance recording does the live version more justice, though. (The production is different, so the background wall is much smaller in the Kimmel video, but I'll find mine and link it here.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVdvd6YFVgg

Edit - Re-uploaded my video from the KC show in 2013! The audio is blown out and the video is 2012-phone-quality, but seeing it in person was waaay up there in my top NIN live memories. (I tried to make it a link versus another video being in the post, but we'll just have to live with a second video.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dAd_A-LM6I

bobbie solo
10-29-2018, 02:00 PM
I can't listen to this song and not get chills. Seeing it in Kansas City was one of my favorite parts of that tour. My video was either shot with a shitty digital camera or an old phone (I forget) so the quality isn't great, but that wall of light behind the band was really beautiful in person. The Kimmel performance recording does the live version more justice, though. (The production is different, so the background wall is much smaller in the Kimmel video, but I'll find mine and link it here.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVdvd6YFVgg

Best song on HM after Copy of A, and the debate's not even really close for me.

JustARandomGuy
10-29-2018, 02:55 PM
I can't believe there are some people who believe everything Post-Fragile is not worthwhile, that idea is crazy for me, NIN is one of the rare instances where the entire discography is amazing

Andallthatcouldhavebeen
10-29-2018, 03:08 PM
I can't believe there are some people who believe everything Post-Fragile is not worthwhile, that idea is crazy for me, NIN is one of the rare instances where the entire discography is amazing

100% agree, agree, agree.

neorev
10-29-2018, 03:48 PM

If I am being completely honest, I found post-With Teeth/pre-Not The Actual Events releases a bit hit or miss. Some great tracks are spread across them. I did really like Ghosts though. But I wasn't in love with Year Zero, The Slip, Hesitation Marks, or How To Destroy Angels' Welcome Oblivion. They are not bad albums. I don't think Trent has made a bad album. I just couldn't enjoy them fully from front to back. I've tried many times to see if maybe my feelings would change, but I just haven't connected to them yet. Not The Actual Events was the first time since I first played With Teeth where I had that uncontrollable smile on my face from being in love with what I was hearing. Not The Actual Events got that old time NIN feels shooting through my body and my favorite of the trilogy. But hey, that is just me. Like I said, they are not bad albums, they have some tracks I love, but I don't enjoy them from start to finish. Perhaps one day that will change. I fucking love Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, With Teeth, and The Trilogy.

P.S. I was listening to The Fragile last night, appreciating the depth and its layers, and it really made me wish that Fragile got the full on Fixed / Further Down The Spiral type treatment. Yeah, we got Things Falling Apart, but it just didn't feel as expansive and intense as Further Down The Spiral where tracks were demolished and rebuilt into something completely new. It has some great moments, but feels like it's missing something. The Fragile has so many layers where you can really twist the hell out of tracks and create something different from its guts. Things Falling Apart is good, but feels like the beginning of when the NIN remix albums became your standard remix album affair. I really wish he tore those tracks apart like Fixed and Further Down The Spiral.

theimage13
10-29-2018, 05:30 PM
Are these NIN shows being attended by newer fans? More casual fans? Something like that?

Here's why I ask...I just watched the video from the live debut of And All That Could Have Been, and it seemed like the intro / first few chords were met with somewhat tepid applause.

By comparison, I saw Timberlake back in May and he had an unannounced visit from Chris Stapleton for a couple songs. Before the lights even came on...just the silhouette of him on stage was enough to make that entire place go absolutely deafening with screams.

Yeah, I'm comparing an international pop star in a sold out arena to a theater show, but even then, I was surprised by how tame the initial reaction to the NIN surprise was. I would have been out of my damn mind if I'd been there. And yes, it sound like *some* people had that reaction. It just wasn't what I expected.

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-29-2018, 09:05 PM
Are these NIN shows being attended by newer fans? More casual fans? Something like that?

Here's why I ask...I just watched the video from the live debut of And All That Could Have Been, and it seemed like the intro / first few chords were met with somewhat tepid applause.

By comparison, I saw Timberlake back in May and he had an unannounced visit from Chris Stapleton for a couple songs. Before the lights even came on...just the silhouette of him on stage was enough to make that entire place go absolutely deafening with screams.

Yeah, I'm comparing an international pop star in a sold out arena to a theater show, but even then, I was surprised by how tame the initial reaction to the NIN surprise was. I would have been out of my damn mind if I'd been there. And yes, it sound like *some* people had that reaction. It just wasn't what I expected.

I mentioned it elsewhere, but the night of that debut, the second the opening notes of that song started, my hands instantly covered my mouth, otherwise I would've been standing there like some slack-jawed baffoon. But the girl next to me was just like "Ooo, he must really like this song! Wow!" Like DO YOU EVEN HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOU'RE SEEING RIGHT NOW? She was bothered that they didn't play "Last" after getting THAT. Can't please everyone, I suppose. Maybe that song they played isn't a personal favorite of hers, and that's cool, but man. I guess the live debut of a never-before-played song can't compare to a song that's been played 51 times. *shrug* And let's not forget fans like the girl now infamous for being upset that "Closer" wasn't played.

Same thing happened during night one of Red Rocks. During the big debut that happened in the encore, people around us were looking at their phones and having conversations and doing other stuff. Why are you even here?

Sometimes I wonder why people even go to live shows, but then I have to remember that not everyone keeps up with bands they like as "thoroughly" as fans like the ones on this forum do. It just baffles me that someone would consider themselves a big fan of an artist and then be oblivious to any of their rarest played songs. How much do you actually look into what you're listening to? Just taking it for face value? That sounds so...unfulfilling. You gotta engage yourself in the music you like, otherwise it's just...noise. But again, maybe that's enough for some people. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

theimage13
10-29-2018, 10:28 PM
Sometimes I wonder why people even go to live shows, but then I have to remember that not everyone keeps up with bands they like as "thoroughly" as fans like the ones on this forum do. It just baffles me that someone would consider themselves a big fan of an artist and then be oblivious to any of their rarest played songs. How much do you actually look into what you're listening to? Just taking it for face value? That sounds so...unfulfilling. You gotta engage yourself in the music you like, otherwise it's just...noise. But again, maybe that's enough for some people. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

I can see going to a show for a band you've only heard a few radio tracks from if we're talking $15-20 a ticket and you know you'll like a few songs and will probably generally enjoy the night.

But I can't imagine spending NIN money to go to a show unless you pretty much know the whole catalog, know that you're gonna like everything they play, and actually pay attention to the show instead of hanging out in the back drinking and attempting to chat with your buddies.

piggy
10-29-2018, 11:00 PM
If this tour doesn't get filmed for a DVD/Blu-ray that actually gets released, then my life is a lie.

eversonpoe
10-29-2018, 11:07 PM

i think everyone who knew what was happening was in shock. i literally started WEEPING when it happened. it's also a quiet song (for the most part) so i'm GLAD people didn't go nuts when it started, because it allowed me to really hear it, ya know?

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-29-2018, 11:14 PM
i think everyone who knew what was happening was in shock. i literally started WEEPING when it happened. it's also a quiet song (for the most part) so i'm GLAD people didn't go nuts when it started, because it allowed me to really hear it, ya know?

I really liked (and participated in) the single wave of rhythmic clapping that happened during the initial buildup after the first verse. That was the perfect amount of audience participation that song needed, similar to the inevitable cheering after the first chorus in "Hurt." Is the song more quiet? Sure. But sometimes when you're in a live setting and watching a show, you just have to physically react, and it was cool to see mostly everyone on the same page there. I'll chalk up the off-tempo to sheer excitement of no one knowing how to process the moment, heh.

Max
10-30-2018, 08:02 AM
Dreams for 2019 -

A release of the full trilogy on vinyl. Includes studio version of Digital, I can't give everything away with Trent doing the vocals, Subterraneans, and a couple tracks from the material that was going to be on Bad Witch that didn't make it. New artwork for the whole set, and some kind of "physical component" for non-vinyl music lovers.

I'd pay a lot for that.

I'd also pay for some kind of HD master of this tour. They could release it on iTunes. Just pick the best black and white footage for 20 tracks.

For future shows: put a bunch of 360 cameras on stage and let people experience the concert in VR on stage with the band. Can you imagine? Switch to the one near Atticus. Flip over to Trent. It's like you are right there, better than going to a concert.

That is all.

klyrish
10-30-2018, 08:23 AM
Listening to the 3/14/14 bootleg from Melbourne right now and I love all of the little tweaks made to songs over the years, keeping them fundamentally the same but changing them up a bit. For instance, the main synth riff in "Terrible Lie" was totally reworked from the original version used up through 2009.

I love ALL the little changes/nuances to songs that diehards/insane people who notice the minute details that don't really matter (me) that keep the songs fresh but most wouldn't notice or care if they did.

kaydraven
10-30-2018, 12:52 PM
I've been on such a NIN high after the Saturday show. I've been listening to them on repeat ever since. I just wish we would've gotten Soft Moon as openers. I actually checked them out even though the night I was going wasn't featuring them and I really dug their latest album. Death In Vegas just didn't do it for me.

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-30-2018, 01:19 PM
I've been on such a NIN high after the Saturday show. I've been listening to them on repeat ever since.

Saaame. I've had their music in my hear or playing on a speaker somewhere almost anywhere I've been since I got back. I even got out my electric guitar and started playing with it after like three years of being too busy or too depressed or too stressed to want to put time and effort into it. Gotta take it to a shop to have a couple of things fixed before I get too carried away, because it's got a problem keeping it from staying in tune for more than a few minutes at a time, but I just feel this spark starting that's making me want to be creative again. Those three shows were probably some of the best I've experienced in my life, not even factoring in all the awesome people I met (some ETS members, some not) and since I've been back I've actually felt quite inspired and uplifted.

There is SO MUCH more to do than being wrapped up in this shitty job with shitty people for shitty pay, and I'm just kind of sick of being a disgruntled worker bee without a creative outlet. NIN's energy and performance this weekend inexplicably reinvigorated that dormant feeling.

(The biggest irony of this is that my plans to quit and move have been pushed back BECAUSE of seeing five shows on this tour, but nevermind that. Worth every penny.)

GavinCollins420
10-30-2018, 02:42 PM
I fucking love The Greater Good. It just sounds pure evil.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

nooneimportant
10-31-2018, 03:33 AM
It's Halloween so I made a fictional intro to help out my Halloween iTunes Playlists. If they played a show on Halloween, it could've sounded like this!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/9uod8ola7dsdz76/NIN_Halloween_Intro.mp3/file

loopcloses
10-31-2018, 05:17 AM
I mentioned it elsewhere, but the night of that debut, the second the opening notes of that song started, my hands instantly covered my mouth, otherwise I would've been standing there like some slack-jawed baffoon. But the girl next to me was just like "Ooo, he must really like this song! Wow!" Like DO YOU EVEN HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOU'RE SEEING RIGHT NOW? She was bothered that they didn't play "Last" after getting THAT. Can't please everyone, I suppose. Maybe that song they played isn't a personal favorite of hers, and that's cool, but man. I guess the live debut of a never-before-played song can't compare to a song that's been played 51 times. *shrug* And let's not forget fans like the girl now infamous for being upset that "Closer" wasn't played.

Same thing happened during night one of Red Rocks. During the big debut that happened in the encore, people around us were looking at their phones and having conversations and doing other stuff. Why are you even here?

I think perspective here is very important in that it takes a special kind of combination nerdiness and love of this particular artist to be intimately familiar with their touring history, and especially which songs have never been played. This forum, and to a lesser extent the NIN subreddit (because it has more exposure), is a really laser focused community of that particular extreme of the fanbase. There's a wide, healthy spectrum in between us and the non-fan that's mad "Closer" wasn't played.

Keep in mind, AATCHB is a really really deep cut. Someone can own every major NIN studio record (or at least stream them) and not ever know it exists. Same goes for Now I'm Nothing and Home--once you enter the realm of bonus tracks and the second disc of a live album you've lost the vast majority of the fanbase. The Perfect Drug has the benefit of being a single but it wasn't a huge hit and it's over 20 years old, and it can't be found on any NIN record. Even for the fans who do know the song, most of them won't know it's a song that's never been played unless they visit a site like this or check Last.fm.

And there's nothing wrong with that--I've got a QOTSA tattoo and there are still plenty of Desert Sessions tracks along with the Kyuss split EP and other various rarities over the years I haven't heard. I'm a gigantic NIN geek and I hadn't heard Now I'm Nothing before he broke out this year, despite being aware of it. Even with that, I'm engaged with this particular artist's work more than anybody should be realistically expected to be, and that extends to the huge crowd that will go to a show because they really loved With Teeth, or they're a music buff who isn't a fanboy but knows the essential records and has heard about how good the live shows are, or maybe they've only listened to the trilogy so far because their favorite YouTube person gave Bad Witch a good review. There's a huge spectrum there.

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-31-2018, 08:15 AM
I think perspective here is very important in that it takes a special kind of combination nerdiness and love of this particular artist to be intimately familiar with their touring history, and especially which songs have never been played. This forum, and to a lesser extent the NIN subreddit (because it has more exposure), is a really laser focused community of that particular extreme of the fanbase. There's a wide, healthy spectrum in between us and the non-fan that's mad "Closer" wasn't played.

Keep in mind, AATCHB is a really really deep cut. Someone can own every major NIN studio record (or at least stream them) and not ever know it exists. Same goes for Now I'm Nothing and Home--once you enter the realm of bonus tracks and the second disc of a live album you've lost the vast majority of the fanbase. The Perfect Drug has the benefit of being a single but it wasn't a huge hit and it's over 20 years old, and it can't be found on any NIN record. Even for the fans who do know the song, most of them won't know it's a song that's never been played unless they visit a site like this or check Last.fm.

And there's nothing wrong with that--I've got a QOTSA tattoo and there are still plenty of Desert Sessions tracks along with the Kyuss split EP and other various rarities over the years I haven't heard. I'm a gigantic NIN geek and I hadn't heard Now I'm Nothing before he broke out this year, despite being aware of it. Even with that, I'm engaged with this particular artist's work more than anybody should be realistically expected to be, and that extends to the huge crowd that will go to a show because they really loved With Teeth, or they're a music buff who isn't a fanboy but knows the essential records and has heard about how good the live shows are, or maybe they've only listened to the trilogy so far because their favorite YouTube person gave Bad Witch a good review. There's a huge spectrum there.

Oh, absolutely. The spectrum is wide and goes in every direction, and I don't want you to think I'm saying "oh, because you don't know every QOTSA or NIN song, you're not a real fan," because that's dumb and childish to think. But that spectrum also covers degrees of fandom from "My favorite song is 'Bite The Hand That Feeds You' from the album 'Zero,'" (actually had someone say that) to "I want to see them, but not for more than like $20, so I guess I'll pass," to "'Fuck You Like An Animal' is their best work since the 90s."

I'm glad everyone's here for the music and enjoys it to their own degree, because that's what's bringing us all together in the first place. And I'm not even saying I'm the biggest NIN fan and know everything there is to know, because I reeeally don't, but there ARE varying degrees of fandom for any fanbase, for sure. But if someone's telling me they're a huge fan and doesn't know the name of THEIR favorite song or what album it's on...It isn't BAD, by any means. It's perfectly fine. It seems really confusing when they say they listen to a song relatively frequently, and don't know the title. ^^' Especially in world where a computer or other device will actually display the names of the songs you listen to.

JustARandomGuy
10-31-2018, 09:46 AM
I fucking love The Greater Good. It just sounds pure evil.

Trent's vocals on Year Zero can be terrifying, his voice is so deep all over that album. His vocals on "Vessel" are pretty spooky, especially when he goes "I am turning into a God.."

GavinCollins420
10-31-2018, 10:02 AM
Trent's vocals on Year Zero can be terrifying, his voice is so deep all over that album. His vocals on "Vessel" are pretty spooky, especially when he goes "I am turning into a God.."I was more talking about the spoOoOky plinky plonky sounds. (I don't know what instrument it actually is, so "plinky plonky" will have to do.)

I do agree about the vocal delivery though, I think it's unlike any other NIN album in that respect. It can go from creepy and unsettling, in the case you mentioned and in The Greater Good, to balls out powerful like in Capital G, and everything in between. I think it's unique in that respect.

One of the reasons I rarely go back to 50% of Hesitation Marks is that the vocal delivery seems kind of flat and uniform throughout.

implanted_microchip
10-31-2018, 12:24 PM
I typically only listen to full albums but a friend wanted me to make them a playlist to get them more into some deeper cuts and Help Me I Am In Hell leads into Sunspots freakishly well.

kaydraven
10-31-2018, 12:28 PM
So a day after I saw NIN, I went to the thrift store and found a copy of And All That Could Have Been: Excerpts. It was rather fortuitous.

JustARandomGuy
10-31-2018, 12:44 PM
I typically only listen to full albums but a friend wanted me to make them a playlist to get them more into some deeper cuts and Help Me I Am In Hell leads into Sunspots freakishly well.

I prefer to listen to full albums of NIN as well, but playing around with playlists is really fun, I have a playlist that consists only of the angrier tracks from the EP Trilogy, Not Anymore goes amazingly well into The Idea Of You

redshoewearer
10-31-2018, 01:07 PM
It has been a great tour, and I appreciate that NIN cared enough about our experience to do more shows in smaller nice venues (for me it was Boston and NYC). The last 3 times I saw NIN before this tour were outdoors, and 2 out of those were festivals, and while any NIN show is appreciated, it was nice to be in some great venues surrounded by other NIN fans who were pumped for the amazing setlists we've had.

klyrish
10-31-2018, 01:14 PM
Anyone else go through phases with songs? For years, I could not stand Burn. I got Burned out (HAHAHAHAHAHAHSHASHGASJ:AGNAGAA I'm so punny) due to seeing it 10 times live in 2005-2006, especially since that incarnation of NIN had a pretty flaccid version of the song. 2009 beefed up the guitars substantially and I liked some minor tweaks Ilan made to the drumming for it but then quickly got tired of it again.

...until today. I woke up at 12:07am this morning to pee and Burn was stuck in my head then for whatever reason and it has continued to be all day so far. I've listened to it at least 8 times and still haven't gotten enough of it.

Steven
10-31-2018, 01:21 PM
Anyone else go through phases with songs? For years, I could not stand Burn. I got Burned out (HAHAHAHAHAHAHSHASHGASJ:AGNAGAA I'm so punny) due to seeing it 10 times live in 2005-2006, especially since that incarnation of NIN had a pretty flaccid version of the song. 2009 beefed up the guitars substantially and I liked some minor tweaks Ilan made to the drumming for it but then quickly got tired of it again.

...until today. I woke up at 12:07am this morning to pee and Burn was stuck in my head then for whatever reason and it has continued to be all day so far. I've listened to it at least 8 times and still haven't gotten enough of it.

Used to hate Letting You, now I love it and lost my sh!t when I saw it live last Saturday. Same with a lot of songs off the Fragile.

klyrish
10-31-2018, 01:26 PM
Used to hate Letting You, now I love it and lost my sh!t when I saw it live last Saturday. Same with a lot of songs off the Fragile.
HA! I do not like "Letting You" at all

GavinCollins420
10-31-2018, 01:59 PM
Used to hate Letting You, now I love it and lost my sh!t when I saw it live last Saturday. Same with a lot of songs off the Fragile.I always used to view Letting You as the inferior sibling of You Know What You Are?

But now, I really love that song.

Still really dislike Gave Up, always have.

kaydraven
10-31-2018, 03:03 PM
For years I never liked Down In It. I'm not sure why, but it was the one song on PHM I couldn't stand. Then one day instead of skipping it, I just let it play and I enjoyed it. I wouldn't call it my favorite, but I don't hate it anymore.

theimage13
10-31-2018, 03:06 PM

You should probably talk to your doctor if it Burns when you pee.

ManBurning
10-31-2018, 03:59 PM
I don't want to clog up NIN spotting with my nonsense comments but...

https://i.imgur.com/s0gc0Rj.png

I always thought Trent had all the friends in the world.
I don't know TR personally, but I think this may just be a case of "getting older". I can relate to that statement on so many levels. I had no idea Trent was like that, but it makes sense. I thought the more famous you are, the more friends you have. I've struggled to maintain solid friendships recently as well. When I was younger, I had a solid group of friends between 16-23 (now 35) We were inseparable. We always shot the shit. After school/work there were 6 of us that hung out usually. It slowly started to dwindle down to like 4 then 3 and then 2 people hanging out together at a time. Not sure why this happens, but I guess people just stop putting in the effort the older you get. I've always been the "glue that keeps my friends together" type of person. I'm the one that goes out of my way to plan get togethers, events, parties, the one that has to buy the concert tickets etc. If it wasn't for me, nobody would ever see each other, and that's really sad. It's like nobody else wants to put the effort in anymore. I think a lot of these anti-social tendencies stem from the fruition of social media and such things. Facebook was the thing that killed off friendships, as ironic as that sounds. FB was supposed to be a tool that brought people together, but I think it just pushed people away and made them more distant from one another.

Eh, sorry for the rant. Not sure if this was even the most appropriate place to talk about this, but since it was a direct quote from TR, I felt like it has it's purpose here. I just feel like I can relate to him on a more personal level now. Making and Keeping friends is not easy, it's probably the most challenging things in life actually. Not sure why people drift away from one another. Oh well...

Lerxto
10-31-2018, 07:15 PM
I think I can finally appreciate Everything (the song) for what it is.
At first I thought of it as a distraction or an irritant, then I thought I could live with it, now I get it.

Halo Infinity
10-31-2018, 10:23 PM
While I've come to accept that can happen to any discography/musician(s) no matter how loved and how great, I still completely agree with you.

At the same time though, I have also seen people out there consider The Downward Spiral to be the last good and even best overall album Nine Inch Nails has ever released. As much as they loved Pretty Hate Machine, Broken and The Downward Spiral, The Fragile just didn't do it for them for whatever reason, which I too can't understand.

But if you see opinions of NIN outside of ETS, you're bound to find them, as I've seen some fans that weren't so much into late 2000s and 2010s NIN in general.

As for me, just to select a few albums post-Fragile, all I'd have to do is listen to With Teeth, Year Zero and Hesitation Marks to know it just isn't so. They're all different, and good/great in different ways for different reasons to me.

zecho
11-01-2018, 10:57 AM

I'm generalizing a bit here, but those people are metalheads. We just ignore them.

JustARandomGuy
11-01-2018, 11:03 AM
I'm generalizing a bit here, but those people are metalheads. We just ignore them.

metalheads are some of the biggest cunts I ever had the misfortune of talking to.

People can totally dislike Post-Fragile even Post-Downard nin all they like, but all these people love to say shit like "lol get back to drugs", so I feel secure in calling them assholes (most of them).

neorev
11-01-2018, 06:55 PM

Metalheads? I'm a huge electronic music lover or as Trump would say YUGE! Been listening to electronic music since 1993 plus some rock and hip hop. My top 5 greatest albums of all time are all electronic. Not really a metal fan at all. I like some rock, but it has become so safe and generic. I like some of post-With Teeth / pre-trilogy material, but it just didn't get me as excited. My Violent Heart, In This Twilight, Lettinf You, Satellite, In Two, On A Wing, The Space Between, love these tracks. But overall, I find pre-Year Zero albums stronger from font to back. The trilogy gave me those feels again.

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-01-2018, 08:38 PM
metalheads are some of the biggest cunts I ever had the misfortune of talking to.

People can totally dislike Post-Fragile even Post-Downard nin all they like, but all these people love to say shit like "lol get back to drugs", so I feel secure in calling them assholes (most of them).

Supervisor is a metalhead, and he's damaged my view of that culture single-handedly, heh. (Unfairly, I'll admit, as I've been friends with a few metalheads in my life that didn't drive me up the wall.) Tall-ass white dude, 5-foot long dreads, blatant sexist and racist, blasts shit like this album called "DISKOVIBRATOR" by some headache-inducing European metal band. At work, IN other people's apartments, on his phone speaker. You get the picture. Any time I bring up Nine Inch Nails, he reminds me he hasn't listened to anything past With Teeth. Hasn't even listened to that album, only The Hand That Feeds, and says it's probably one of the heaviest and best songs they've ever made. Hasn't listened to a single song released since 2005. Had absolutely no clue that NIN had released a trilogy recently, let alone 8 MAJOR RELEASES IN THE PAST 13 YEARS since With Teeth, and that's not even counting scores and one-off songs. It's one thing not to like them, sure, but to not even know? You almost have to actively avoid a band's discography for that to happen. I'm sorry, but if you choose not to listen to anything from those 13 years, your opinion on anything since then is completely invalid.

And if you tell me that The Hand That Feeds is objectively better than anything from the trilogy, ESPECIALLY Bad Witch, your taste and opinion on music is dead to me.

I didn't really have a point, he's just my go-to when it comes to talking about douchey metalheads, ha. :)

Alabaster Creature
11-02-2018, 01:13 AM
I think the metalhead thing is really just recurring music discourse weak spots amplified by one of the quirks of metal specifically.

Metal - at least "credible" metal - from the past 30 years almost uniformly some version of extreme metal. A genre that's actually quite narrow in what it allows and is largely about playing inside the box. There are meaningful differences between various flavors of death metal for example, but these differences are relatively small. People that spend a lot of time listening to extreme metal then tend to develop some unusual musical sensitivities which they are not always cognizant of. Once you get past the initial abrasive affect, it strikes you that most extreme metal is deeply weird music. Just comprehending that weirdness, much less having an easy, reliable emotional connection to it requires a lot of development for most listeners. Some people arrive at a kind of myopia on their way there.

People that actually pursue some version of alternative music as a hobby often develop their taste in a predictable, if extremely broad way. Namely that what they are into becomes increasingly esoteric as they learn about new things and put in more time to discovering what is out there. So their taste starts to become eccentric, even as they retain a fondness for the more accessible stuff they heard earlier.

I am not going to be so naive as to suggest this is everyone's path. Though to the extent it works at all, it intersects with how recherché extreme metal already is, to create a quite visible effect.

This holds true with black metal purists and deathcore "kids." The reference points are just different.

It's worth noting that the accusation that somebody only likes narrow parts of artist's discography, and therefore is in some way shallow, pretentious, or otherwise false is also frequently lobbied at another visible group of alt people """hipsters.""" Which is a "group" around which the conversation is routinely useless, and my scare quotes are not meant to imply derision. Additionally, certainly no group owns the "person X was better on drugs" idea, I have heard some version of that from all kinds of people.

Metal specifically, a genre designed around several highly affected sharp edges, emerges these problems as a culture a touch more often. So we notice it.

katara
11-02-2018, 04:12 AM
I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here and say that it's okay to enjoy extreme metal music.

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-02-2018, 09:34 AM
I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here and say that it's okay to enjoy extreme metal music.

Totally is! I listened to metal music through most of high school. I was in that group of kids. It shaped the foundations of what I grew to listen to later on. But to shove it down everyone’s throat? Nah, not okay. If I blasted NIN on my phone speakers everywhere I went, I would be a cunt, too. So I don’t do that, because it’s EXTREMELY easy to just...not do. I kind of am a cunt anyway, I suppose, but just not for that reason. :p And that’s where my problem lies, with that attitude. Metal isn’t what I personally have a problem with, and it is unfair to single it out. Ive been to those shows and had a blast. The problem lies with the small clique of toxic fans of any band or genre. It’s an inevitable part of any fanbase. Everything has its handful of cringeworthy fans, and sometimes one bad apple can spoil the bunch for people who are “on the outside looking in,” as it were. And that sucks! But it happens for some.

I fucking DIG me some anime soundtracks. That probably makes up about 20-25% of what’s saved on my phone, music-wise. I love ‘em, especially things more jazz-oriented. You know what I’m not going to do? Sit next to a stranger and blast the opening theme from Gurren Lagaan so loud that everyone else has to hear it on the commute, or play it on my phone while I’m inside someone’s home fixing something for them, or tell someone their music sucks because it’s not anime, because that’s rude and stupid and easy to not do. But anyway, I digress, and don’t want to derail this thread too much more, heh. Listen to anything you want! No one can stop you. Just don’t be a jerk with it.

On topic: I’m in the process of moving all of my NIN-related files from my old hard drive, last updated in 2014. It’s taken 2 days so far, and I haven’t even touched the live bootleg folder. It’s crazy how in just 4 years I completely forgot I had half of this stuff, including this work of art.

https://youtu.be/xaWe_4AaH8Y

zecho
11-02-2018, 09:34 AM

I was worried I was gonna start a metal debate. It's fine to like metal in general, and extreme metal as well. I'm personally listening to Wolves in the Throne Room as I'm writing this comment. I have no problem at all with the enjoyment of the incredibly wide umbrella of genres that is metal.

But a "metalhead" is generally very strict about what is and isn't "good" music, and that music has to fall into their very very specific tastes. I'm personally sick of how all black metal that isn't the exact same song over and over is considered "posing" by the black metal community. I know a group of metalheads that called Opeth "pussy metal" and mocked their friends who listened to them because they aren't "heavy" enough or masculine enough for them, and to me, that's a completely toxic mindset.

If you want one of the best examples I can think of of this kind of thinking, there's a YouTube channel called hipsterblackmetal that is just the epitome of the cesspool that parts of the metal community have become. I'm sure the creator would have an aneurysm knowing that I use his foaming vitriol as a recommendation.

That's the last I'll say on the subject, since this isn't the thread for it, but I felt I needed to clarify since I started this thing.

JustARandomGuy
11-02-2018, 10:30 AM
I fucking DIG me some anime soundtracks.

I am still trying to find music that is as good as Watamote's opening track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZYq7rat9d4

bryan_NIN65
11-02-2018, 04:21 PM
So I love "the hand that feeds" ,why does everyone hate it so much,lol. It's a favorite of mine. Is it because it's a radio hit? Overplayed? I just don't get the hate there, it's my mom absolute favorite NIN song too (second being WITT) now that I have turned her into a fan over the last 5 years. I took her to Memphis and Chicago last year and it would have broke her heart if THTF wasn't played,lol.

JustARandomGuy
11-02-2018, 06:01 PM
So I love "the hand that feeds" ,why does everyone hate it so much,lol. It's a favorite of mine. Is it because it's a radio hit? Overplayed? I just don't get the hate there, it's my mom absolute favorite NIN song too (second being WITT) now that I have turned her into a fan over the last 5 years. I took her to Memphis and Chicago last year and it would have broke her heart if THTF wasn't played,lol.

Yeah, it's over-rated due to the fact it's an accessible rock hit, I think it's a nice catchy song, which is very well written and performed and deserved all the airplay. This type of "it's popular and too accessible" hate happens to a lot of NIN songs within NIN fanbase.

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-02-2018, 06:19 PM

Just to be clear - I don't hate The Hand That Feeds. That was probably the first song that really drew me in (having been the big single of theirs when I "discovered" them in 2005). I'll dance and push around to it if I'm near the stage and it comes up. But it IS overplayed, and much like Closer, I actually appreciate it more now that it isn't guaranteed to be played every single show. I can't remember the last time I listened to it standalone just for kicks, but I'm sure sooner or later I'll just be in the mood for it and it'll scratch the itch perfectly.

That being said, I still don't think it holds a candle to anything from the trilogy. But that's just personal preference!

JustARandomGuy
11-02-2018, 06:25 PM
You know, you can say what you want, but it's hard to deny how absolutely fun that album is, it's so energetic and that energy never lets up from the beginning to end. Trent is absolutely fired up the entire record, it feels more exciting than any other album they've ever released, not saying it's the best, but the energy is impossible to resist.

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-02-2018, 06:42 PM
You know, you can say what you want, but it's hard to deny how absolutely fun that album is, it's so energetic and that energy never lets up from the beginning to end. Trent is absolutely fired up the entire record, it feels more exciting than any other album they've ever released, not saying it's the best, but the energy is impossible to resist.

With Teeth as an album is absolutely awesome! I just don't feel the desire to listen to The Hand That Feeds nearly as often as I do with other songs off that record. (Which is...almost every other song, ha.) All The Love In The World is a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. BYIT, Sunspots, TLBTB, LINE, Only, all of them are songs that get heavy rotation from me. But if THTF comes up, there's a pretty moderate chance I'll probably skip it.

Halo Infinity
11-02-2018, 07:58 PM
It's always a pleasure to see the ever-expanding adoration and appreciation for With Teeth on Echoing the Sound. :)

Steven
11-02-2018, 08:57 PM
Trent and Atticus talked about how they know what the next NIN project is going to be and might start working on it in 6 weeks or so. As crazy as it sounds I'd love for it to be Tapeworm 2.0 somehow. Or just a major collaboration, maybe even Death Grips.

SM Rollinger
11-02-2018, 09:24 PM
It's always a pleasure to see the ever-expanding adoration and appreciation for With Teeth on Echoing the Sound. :)
I love the title track and The Line Begins to Blur.

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-02-2018, 09:24 PM
Trent and Atticus talked about how they know what the next NIN project is going to be and might start working on it in 6 weeks or so. As crazy as it sounds I'd love for it to be Tapeworm 2.0 somehow. Or just a major collaboration, maybe even Death Grips.

If I'm spitballing on what I'd want it to be...Honestly, as far as NIN projects go, if it isn't a proper full-length and is its own standalone thing apart from the trilogy/C&B&I cycle, I'm tempted to put my money on another Ghosts collection. The only thing keeping me from hoping too much for that is the fact that...they're already scoring three films, that we know about. Maybe they'd be able to make any new Ghosts material different enough in its own right from any of their current scoring material, who knows, but I can't really see them juggling like four purely instrumental projects at one time. I'd imagine that would either become somewhat monotonous, or wouldn't leave as big of a mark as something like a proper full album would. At least, not to the general public. I know very few people in person (and half of them are HERE) that even knew Ghosts I-IV existed.

Then again, it IS TR and AR we're talking about. If I've learned anything, it's not to count them out in any way, because you're likely to be surprised in one way or another. Either way, guess I might as well start saving now so I can throw as much money as I can at...whatever it is! Sign me up.

Edit: V EDIETS is pretty alright for me! But it being about...well...every day being exactly the same, I feel like it can be a little corny in certain context. That may be largely due to everyone I knew in 2006 telling me "Gah dude you have to see Wanted because NIN is in it, you'll love it" and then...not being able to tolerate the movie, or the way-too-on-the-nose use of the song in said movie, hah. That bridge ("I'm writing on a little piece of paper...") is absolutely haunting, though.

neorev
11-02-2018, 09:25 PM
With Teeth as an album is absolutely awesome! I just don't feel the desire to listen to The Hand That Feeds nearly as often as I do with other songs off that record. (Which is...almost every other song, ha.) All The Love In The World is a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. BYIT, Sunspots, TLBTB, LINE, Only, all of them are songs that get heavy rotation from me. But if THTF comes up, there's a pretty moderate chance I'll probably skip it.

With Teeth is awesome! Beside You In Time is one of the greatest NIN songs ever. Honestly, for me, Every Day Is Exactly The Same is the skippable song. I have no problem with The Hand That Feeds. Sadly, it's been played out with the live shows. I rather have Home over Every Day Is Exactly The Same. But as skippable as it is, I can still put on With Teeth and listen to it from front to back. It's a great album.

thenorthwood
11-02-2018, 09:40 PM
Oh, absolutely. The spectrum is wide and goes in every direction, and I don't want you to think I'm saying "oh, because you don't know every QOTSA or NIN song, you're not a real fan," because that's dumb and childish to think. But that spectrum also covers degrees of fandom from "My favorite song is 'Bite The Hand That Feeds You' from the album 'Zero,'" (actually had someone say that) to "I want to see them, but not for more than like $20, so I guess I'll pass," to "'Fuck You Like An Animal' is their best work since the 90s."

I'm glad everyone's here for the music and enjoys it to their own degree, because that's what's bringing us all together in the first place. And I'm not even saying I'm the biggest NIN fan and know everything there is to know, because I reeeally don't, but there ARE varying degrees of fandom for any fanbase, for sure. But if someone's telling me they're a huge fan and doesn't know the name of THEIR favorite song or what album it's on...It isn't BAD, by any means. It's perfectly fine. It seems really confusing when they say they listen to a song relatively frequently, and don't know the title. ^^' Especially in world where a computer or other device will actually display the names of the songs you listen to.

I understand what you mean, but to offer an alternate perspective I’ve found there are definitely people who respond more to the music and others who respond more to lyrics. I’m in the former camp, someone who gloms onto songs when I hear music I like but it often takes me many many listens to decipher and remember song lyrics and song titles. There are bands I love who I’ve seen multiple times but I still don’t know a multitude of lyrics or even song titles, but I know the music and bob my head in rhythm with the music. This discussion reminded me of a friend who is also a music obsessive but she is all about lyrics. Typically she talks about a song and recites lyrics and usually my response is to say I don’t recognize it and need to hear the tune. Plus my music catalog and life is much more vast than it was in high school when I had access to a limited selection and had time to study liner notes in my room. I just think it’s an interesting discussion in relation to how people’s brains work. But NIN is in its own orbit when it comes to consuming and retaining every bit of minutiae I can remember.

EvilGobi
11-03-2018, 08:19 AM

I don’t think we’ll ever see a Death Grip collab, after you know, that whole tour debacle.

spiral94
11-03-2018, 10:36 AM
i miss danny lohner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vNTSiBajdY

chuckrh
11-04-2018, 12:46 PM
I want Trent & Atticus to produce the Cure.....

Halo Infinity
11-04-2018, 01:41 PM
I think it's come to a point where somebody probably might eventually upload a spectrogram covering every second of every official Nine Inch Nails release. I don't think I'd be all that surprised if such a thing actually happens.

I also like how the album art of Pretty Hate Machine, With Teeth and the Hesitation Marks CD itself, also reminded me of spectrograms.

Steven
11-04-2018, 01:41 PM
If Bad Witch was like the other 2 EP's and limited to only 5 songs, imagine how dark it would be if they just ended it with I'm Not From This World, and not having Over and Out? I feel like that would be the darkest and most unexpected way to end the whole trilogy. Also, what do you guys think was the inspiration behind the title of I'm Not From This World?

StockAvuryah
11-04-2018, 01:48 PM
If Bad Witch was like the other 2 EP's and limited to only 5 songs, imagine how dark it would be if they just ended it with I'm Not From This World, and not having Over and Out? I feel like that would be the darkest and most unexpected way to end the whole trilogy. Also, what do you guys think was the inspiration behind the title of I'm Not From This World?

Weird take but, it's the most "organic"-feeling track, there's even sounds which are like animals (birds ?), but.. dirtier ? I think it can relate to the bones and dirt we see on the cover. I'm not from this world, let me just become dirt and go back to mother nature (even if those people are saying she's a whore). Protagonist was in cave, he only saw shadows, and now he's out. Is he saying he's not from his previous world ? The new one ? To link with the lyrics from Dear World, ? Or maybe "I'm Not From This World" is a sonic canvas of those shadows on the cave's wall.

Steven
11-04-2018, 01:56 PM
The whole trilogy, especially Not The Actual Events and Add Violence, remind me of Shutter Island (the movie).

nooneimportant
11-04-2018, 09:51 PM
i miss danny lohner

Danny Lohner was a master headbanger. That dude had so much energy on stage. If you watch him when he's playing in one of the Wave Goodbye shows in 2009 with the band he carries that same vibe and it really adds to the music.

Halo Infinity
11-05-2018, 12:09 AM
I actually wondered/guessed if it could've been from songs such as Terrible Lie, Burn, The Day The World Went Away, The Great Below, Right Where It Belongs, Non-Entity, The Good Soldier and 1,000,000. This is all merely a guess, and just reached that far back since there have been many call-backs to various songs/eras since Not The Actual Events came out. And I know it doesn't even have to be those exact songs, assuming that it came from any previous songs to start with, but they really came to mind nonetheless.

These particular lyrics seem like times where he felt/thought "I'm Not From This World" from feeling out of place or even feeling like he shouldn't or might as well not even exist. (Perhaps exacerbated via ostracism, oppression, self-loathing, suicidal ideation, misery, emptiness and/or isolation, or simply feeling like he doesn't belong due to refusing to conform and go on to as he put it, "Find My Way" while also combating his internal "Demon Seed" and "Mr Self Destruct" adversaries so as not to ruin it as also mentioned in Even Deeper. And with internal adversaries like that, I could easily see how that could absolutely make somebody feel unequivocally not from this world at all. And then there's the songs that have multiple mentions of "fading away", such as Getting Smaller. And while uniqueness and creativity can be great things, even such traits can also sometimes make one not feel of this world either.)

Terrible Lie - There's nothing left for me to hide. I lost my ignorance, security and pride. I'm all alone in a world you must despise.

Burn - This world rejects me. This world threw me away. This world never gave me a chance. This world's gonna have to pay.

I never was a part of you. Burn.

The Day The World Went Away - There is a place that still remains. It eats the fear. It eats the pain. The sweetest price you'll have to pay. The day the whole world went away.

The Great Below - All the world has closed her eyes. Tired faith all worn and thin. For all we could have done and all that could have been. Ocean pulls me close and whispers in my ear. The destiny I've chose. All becoming clear. The currents have their say. The time is drawing near. Washes me away. Makes me disappear. And I descend from grace in arms of undertow. I will take my place in the great below.

Right Where It Belongs - What if all the world's inside of your head. Just creations of your own. Your devils and your gods. All the living and the dead. And you really are alone. You can live in this illusion. You can choose to believe. You keep looking but you can't find the woods. Are you hiding in the trees?

What if everything around you isn't quite as it seems? What if all the world you used to know is an elaborate dream? And if you look at your reflection is that all you want to be? What if you could look right through the cracks? Would you find yourself, find yourself afraid to see?

Non-Entity - The sky is not the same shade of blue. Every single thing I believe isn't true. Missing in a maze of monochrome. How did I get here? How can I go home?

Try to stand in line. Try to obey. The ghosts of what I was keep getting in the way. Staring at the sun. Blinded by the light. Now I'm afraid I'm fading out of sight.

The echoes in my eyes of all they used to see. Burning down the world. The ashes and debris. And all that's left of you and all that's left of me all have washed away. Non-entity.

The Good Soldier - I am trying to see. I am trying to believe. This is not where I should be. I am trying to believe.

1,000,000 - Got these lines on my face. After all this time and I still haven't found my place.

I wake up on the floor. Start it up again like it matters anymore. I don't know if it does. Is this really all that there ever was? Put the gun in my mouth. Close your eyes. Blow my fucking brains out. Pretty patterns on the floor. That's enough for you but I still need more.

I jump from every rooftop. So high so far to fall. I feel a million miles away. I don't feel anything at all.

I don't feel anything. A million miles a way.

Fred
11-05-2018, 12:43 AM
Weird take but, it's the most "organic"-feeling track, there's even sounds which are like animals (birds ?), but.. dirtier ? I think it can relate to the bones and dirt we see on the cover. I'm not from this world, let me just become dirt and go back to mother nature (even if those people are saying she's a whore). Protagonist was in cave, he only saw shadows, and now he's out. Is he saying he's not from his previous world ? The new one ? To link with the lyrics from Dear World, ? Or maybe "I'm Not From This World" is a sonic canvas of those shadows on the cave's wall.

I’ve never been able to pick up the bird sounds in this track, but if they are in there, they would act as a callback to Burning Bright, where there are birds chirping in the “Breathe, breathe”-part.

piggy
11-05-2018, 12:56 AM
I want Trent & Atticus to produce the Cure.....
There was a rumor years ago that Robert Smith wanted to make a solo album in the late 90s with TR as producer. Would be amazeballs if something along these lines actually came to fruition.

Halo Infinity
11-05-2018, 01:02 AM

I’ve never been able to pick up the bird sounds in this track, but if they are in there, they would act as a callback to Burning Bright, where there are birds chirping in the “Breathe, breathe”-part.
I forgot to get to this as I was caught up in my previous post. Anyway, the chirping birds definitely also reminded me of Something I Can Never Have.

This is yet another thing I love about Nine Inch Nails. The music has me sold, but the stories and also just the fact that you hear more the more you listen is what also got me so hooked. It's amazing, yet crazy because even with Closer as one example out of so many, I'm still hearing things I haven't heard before since 2002 when I was introduced to NIN by a friend all those years ago. It just makes you appreciate the music more and more as the years go by, not to mention just how relatable it can all be as time goes by too.

StockAvuryah
11-05-2018, 08:03 AM

There's also a synth sound sounding like birds on Year Zero (The Greater Good ?). Maybe it's a sample, maybe it's completely synthetic.. But anyway, it really sounds like it, and really ties into the idea of the Trilogy, somehow.

katara
11-05-2018, 03:13 PM
Also, what do you guys think was the inspiration behind the title of I'm Not From This World?

If we consider that much of the new material is Bowie-related, perhaps it's that. As in The Man Who Fell To Earth.
Or it could be a rejection of reality, like "I don't want to live on this planet anymore".

There are also birds in Something I Can Never Have, and possibly some of Still (although I haven't heard Still in years, so I may be wrong there).

Steven
11-05-2018, 03:19 PM
The artwork for Ahead of Ourselves with the index finger pointing reminds me of Copy Of A "I am just a finger on a trigger on a finger (https://genius.com/Nine-inch-nails-copy-of-a-lyrics#note-2954159)
Doing everything I'm told to do (https://genius.com/Nine-inch-nails-copy-of-a-lyrics#note-2223961)"

Halo Infinity
11-05-2018, 10:07 PM
I've always loved and enjoyed how well Gave Up and The Great Below compliment each other lyrically and emotionally on the CD version of And All That Could Have Been (Live). However, at the same time I also prefer having La Mer in between both songs on the DVD version.

I also thought that Shit Mirror could've been a possible reference to Right Where It Belongs, in where he finally became brave enough to see the reflection for what it actually is. The connection is kind of like the one I came across between Hurt and 1,000,000.

There also might be a possible connection/reference to Gave Up and Burning Bright (Field on Fire), which I'm sure I pointed out before, where he says he's the strongest he's been in his decline, which also took me back to his steady systematic decline while waking up in flames and then becoming a field on fire.

I'll admit that the trilogy has been amazing in regards to discussion concerning general interpretations, analysis and dissection over NIN.

To think that I used to think it couldn't get any more ambiguous, mysterious and colossal than the Year Zero era. Then again, you'd even think that the concepts of The Downward Spiral and The Fragile would've been far more than enough fuel/fodder for these discussions.

With that being said, my mind goes on NIN overload more than usual every tour without fail. I'm just so high/stoked/hyped up on NIN, especially after attending the show and still being in the same year of the show I just attended. I'm not complaining though, since I at least caught him on tour. Damn, would that have sucked to miss NIN on tour when around my way. I just got to "break through the surface and breath" and just take it one song and album at a time.

(Because me ever going cold turkey on NIN ain't happening any time soon in this world/life.) :p

Aside from as other things from 1989, as with the entirely of the 1990s as far as other entertainment mediums go, with two examples of very successful shows with in their respective genres. Any fan of all three would absolutely see where I'm coming from, and see that it's definitely still a compliment to the highest order. I also only stopped at two examples, since this can go on and on with so many other things.

Nine Inch Nails to me is to 1990s music, the same exact way that Seinfeld is to 1990s sitcoms.

Nine Inch Nails to me is to 1990s music, the same exact way that Dragon Ball Z is to 1990s anime.

TinDefacto
11-06-2018, 10:13 AM
I wasn't the biggest fan at the time of the "ANXIETY" shirt I bought at the Boston concert (it was the only one left), because I tend to be a pretty low-anxiety person, but man, wearing it now on Election Day it feels pretty damn relevant.

theimage13
11-06-2018, 11:43 AM
Anybody else listening to Year Zero from start to finish today? Had it on in the car to / from the polls (which was mildly awkward given that I picked my mom up along the way). But it feels depressingly relevant today. Hell, they could just change track seven to Capital D and it'd still work.

bryan_NIN65
11-06-2018, 07:15 PM
Anybody else listening to Year Zero from start to finish today? Had it on in the car to / from the polls (which was mildly awkward given that I picked my mom up along the way). But it feels depressingly relevant today. Hell, they could just change track seven to Capital D and it'd still work.

I always refer to the G as Greed and covers ALL politicans,lol.
But hey maybe I only wish I was in that position, I haven't had enough to know what it's like.

Fred
11-07-2018, 12:33 AM
G is supposed to be for “Greed,” which is also what the crowd is chanting in the chorus.

Even though I’m overseas, I put it on at work the day after Trump was sworn in and of course it felt like the only album one could listen to. With the Democrats winning the majority in the House of Representatives, the soundtrack of today feels a tad more optimistic to this European.

But yes, it really is unfortunate that Trent’s most lyrically relevant album, to use a word he has been using a lot himself, is arguably still that album!

Elrickooo
11-08-2018, 03:47 PM
How many and what songs has Robin played live that Ally hasn’t and vice versa?

implanted_microchip
11-08-2018, 05:06 PM
It’s a double entendre standing for Greed and George Bush. I’ve also always thought Capital G was unfairly disliked by people and the few live performances of it sound fantastic.

sweeterthan
11-08-2018, 05:16 PM
I love capital G. I love his vocals and the guitar riffs. Capital G is a great nin song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBang
11-09-2018, 05:55 AM
How many and what songs has Robin played live that Ally hasn’t and vice versa?
I did a quick look, and I think Ally has missed the following that Robin has played:

The Only Time
The Downward Spiral
Big Man with a Gun
Piggy (Nothing Can Stop Me Now)
Closer to God
Just Like You Imagined
The Great Below
The Mark Has Been Made
Complication
Lights in the Sky
Gone, Still

Skipping out on the 2009 tour really cost Ally getting about half of those songs.

In the other direction, it's mainly going to be With Teeth and Year Zero stuff that never got performed again after their respective tours:

You Know What You Are
Every Day Is Exactly the Same
With Teeth
We're in This Together
Capital G
Hyperpower!

sticksandhair
11-09-2018, 09:58 PM
I'm thinking about...I hope NIN and their people are ok. I don't know where their home bases are. I thought some were around the LA area, idk. These wild fire reports look horrendous, and I can't imagine what it would be like to be around those fires, that's some scary shit. I hope people out there are ok, that's all, goodnight.

eversonpoe
11-10-2018, 09:36 AM
It’s a double entendre standing for Greed and George Bush. I’ve also always thought Capital G was unfairly disliked by people and the few live performances of it sound fantastic.

if i want to listen to "the way you make me feel" by michael jackson, i'll listen to that song. trent's version just doesn't do anything for me. :p

implanted_microchip
11-10-2018, 09:49 AM
if i want to listen to "the way you make me feel" by michael jackson, i'll listen to that song. trent's version just doesn't do anything for me. :p
Saying this over and over again won’t make it any less wrong

BRoswell
11-10-2018, 10:43 AM
I mean, I always thought the beat was inspired by Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears than anything else. Definitely makes more sense than Michael Jackson. :p

Also, I think Capital G would go over really well if they played it live again. I'm actually surprised that we haven't heard more Year Zero stuff beyond the usual staples, but I guess Trent & Atticus are trying not to be too obvious at the moment.

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-10-2018, 11:14 AM
I mean, I always thought the beat was inspired by Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears than anything else. Definitely makes more sense than Michael Jackson. :p

Also, I think Capital G would go over really well if they played it live again. I'm actually surprised that we haven't heard more Year Zero stuff beyond the usual staples, but I guess Trent & Atticus are trying not to be too obvious at the moment.

YES. I've been kinda hoping that we got that one at some point this tour. Guess there's still a chance it could happen, though. You're probably right with some of the YZ material being a little on-the-nose for now, but maybe that isn't even a factor, either.

I think part of wanting so many songs to pop up on this touring cycle has to do with the fact that they could sound really awesome with this iteration of the band. Of the 5 shows I went to, there's only been one song I thought sounded better on previous tours than the current one (that one song being Only), and it still didn't even sound bad at all.

Steven
11-10-2018, 01:10 PM
My Violent Heart gives off strong NTAE/AV vibes now that I listen to it.

Microwave Jellyfish
11-10-2018, 01:22 PM
I usually stick to the Airwolf theme, Jacko's version is a tad slow and I never cared for the lyrics.

chuckrh
11-10-2018, 01:30 PM
Listening to the tape of Chicago night 3. It's a motherfucker of a show. Wow!

Kulerage
11-10-2018, 08:49 PM
I love capital G. I love his vocals and the guitar riffs. Capital G is a great nin song.

I like Capital G as well, but my full appreciation of it is watered down by it feeling too much like The Hand That Feeds redone in Year Zero style. However, don't let this make you think I dislike The Hand That Feeds, because I do like it; in fact it holds a special place to me in being the first NIN song I ever heard.

Also, what parts on Capital G are the Saxophone, Trombone and Trumpet exactly? Never quite got that

piggy
11-10-2018, 11:21 PM
You can hear the horns immediately after each chorus I think, leading into the next verse. They're pretty low-pitched, so they're actually kind of buried and you have to pick them out. They're a bit more pronounced right before the bridge and after the final chorus.

StockAvuryah
11-11-2018, 09:13 AM
You can hear the horns immediately after each chorus I think, leading into the next verse. They're pretty low-pitched, so they're actually kind of buried and you have to pick them out. They're a bit more pronounced right before the bridge and after the final chorus.

Always better to hear it in the track itself but, there are the multitracks to hear all the nuances of one single sound

chuckrh
11-11-2018, 11:39 AM
ilan rubin is moving up my list of favorite drummers quickly. the man is amazing!

Halo Infinity
11-11-2018, 11:55 PM
Nine Inch Nails always had a way with aging well in terms of life experience alongside music itself that is, at least to me.

As for one example out of many, Only is seriously hitting me like a ton of bricks just right now.

Haysey_Draws
11-12-2018, 08:37 AM
ilan rubin is moving up my list of favorite drummers quickly. the man is amazing!

He is also are really nice dude! Met him twice (once after the NIN Scala show and another time when he was drumming for another band i will not mention) and both times he was really just happy to be around people that appreciated what he was doing.

Kulerage
11-14-2018, 08:44 PM
Decided to download the multitracks myself, and wow. No way I would have ever heard that without the multitrack.

Stuff like this is all over the NIN catalog, and even to this day I find more

nooneimportant
11-15-2018, 06:01 AM
Dear World, is such a weird ass song live.

Andallthatcouldhavebeen
11-15-2018, 06:41 PM
Usually I'll mention NIN and people will say "fuxk you like an animal guy, right?"

Today I actually had a 30 min conversation with a gentleman at work who also likes NIN and I've never had that with someone who wasnt my husband or someone we met at a NIN related event. We mostly talked PHM and TDS but it was still nice.

bryan_NIN65
11-15-2018, 09:19 PM
Usually I'll mention NIN and people will say "fuxk you like an animal guy, right?"

Today I actually had a 30 min conversation with a gentleman at work who also likes NIN and I've never had that with someone who wasnt my husband or someone we met at a NIN related event. We mostly talked PHM and TDS but it was still nice.

I also had a conversation with a guy at work, it was very brief but led right into Ministry (As I told him about Riot Fest) and Skinny Puppy, I had to stop and go WOW. I was just telling him yesterday how i was flying to Vegas for the Saturday show. Nobody I know "In the physical world" likes NIN.

xolotl
11-15-2018, 10:16 PM

When I went in to see an allergist a little while ago, I was wearing my tour shirt from the current tour, and it turns out that my allergist was a NIN fan too (though he'd missed the recent EP stuff). Was definitely a pleasant surprise to be able to have that conversation in an unexpected environment!

Steven
11-16-2018, 04:49 AM
I'm Not From This World sounds like the devil opening up hell from beneath, kind of a cool contrast to "God breaking down the door".

Halo Infinity
11-16-2018, 06:43 AM

I also had a conversation with a guy at work, it was very brief but led right into Ministry (As I told him about Riot Fest) and Skinny Puppy, I had to stop and go WOW. I was just telling him yesterday how i was flying to Vegas for the Saturday show. Nobody I know "In the physical world" likes NIN.
Did you let them know about ETS?

I'm just wondering, because it's become a knee-jerk reaction of mine every time I encounter a NIN fan in real life, which also happens to be very rare, with the exception of helping to earn new fans from the times I've introduced NIN to people I know.

I'll also understand if you didn't though for whatever reason, or just forgot as there were moments where I was so engrossed in the fact that I had a real conversation about NIN IRL, that I forgot to bring up any of the NINternet at all, or just from not really having the time to do so in passing.

However, I always thought that it's better for NIN fans in general to get to know about ETS and The Meathead Perspective. Almost every NIN fan I met that never heard of Meathead either, actually ended up loving his work and found it hilarious altogether, or at the very slightest found it rather entertaining, clever and amusing.

ryanmcfly
11-16-2018, 08:28 AM
However, I always thought that it's better for NIN fans in general to get to know about ETS and The Meathead Perspective. Almost every NIN fan I met that never heard of Meathead either, actually ended up loving his work and found it hilarious altogether, or at the very slightest found it rather entertaining, clever and amusing.

I remember discovering The Hand That Feeds on the radio when it came out. That shit was my jam. But i didn't care too much for With Teeth. I was 12. Fast forwarded a couple years later and it's march 2007. My parents said i could have one thing from Barnes and Noble and I decided to get Beside You in Time. Then further down the rabbit hole I went. I created an ETS account on the old one. Soon after, I got a few of my friends into NIN, not as hardcore into it as I am, but they still liked The Fragile and YZ once it came out. Then I found the Meathead clips when I was in my stupid BCIS class freshman year. Good times. I remember showing The Great Destroyer video to my friends and they thought that shit was hilarious.

Andallthatcouldhavebeen
11-16-2018, 10:32 AM
Did you let them know about ETS?

I didn't, because hes not as into it as he used to be but he was very animated about how he used to love them. I was just in shock that someone in my tiny Christian community of a town knew what I was talking about.
Oh man, meathead trent. I've been recently toying around with the idea of a meathead trent tattoo, just because. I have a little cartoon character tattoo on one shoulder so my husband suggested meathead for the other.

Microwave Jellyfish
11-16-2018, 04:21 PM

Thank you.

Usually we kinda know what we're doing up here... that song, we had no idea what we were doin' up here, so....

Think of it as an improvisational number.

(from Ryan's Night™ (http://ninlive.com/shows/2018/20180926.html))

Halo Infinity
11-16-2018, 05:47 PM
Thanks to Nine Inch Nails RPG: Reznor's Quest (http://www.nindestruct.com/misc/ninrpg.zip), I can't "unhear" the following songs as such for the time being. :p

Dead Souls - Exploring levels, and moving on to other levels.

Last - Realizing that shit just went down, and that's where the real journey begins.

Head Like A Hole - Fighting enemies.

We're In This Together/Sanctified - Brace yourself. You're about to meet the final boss.

nmitchell86
11-16-2018, 08:06 PM
What if nin instead of closing shows with hurt, closed with Right Where It Belongs. it's a closing song for sure, and eludes to the ties between Year Zero and Add Violence, imo. I know it might not be what was intended but... an elaborate dream, it just works.

neorev
11-16-2018, 09:52 PM
What if nin instead of closing shows with hurt, closed with Right Where It Belongs. it's a closing song for sure, and eludes to the ties between Year Zero and Add Violence, imo. I know it might not be what was intended but... an elaborate dream, it just works.

I'll take anything over Hurt closing live shows. It's a great song, there is no doubting that, but just such a bummer of an ending.

nooneimportant
11-17-2018, 01:19 AM
I just realized that Not What It Seems Like on Fragile Deviations reminds alot of Zero Sum. Since it's a song that supposedly had lyrics, it's interesting to think of the lyrics on that track being Zero Sum's lyrics. I might actually put the chorus on there from the multitrack at some point just to hear it for myself.

Halo Infinity
11-17-2018, 05:09 PM
I had to take some time to think about it, but I now see what you mean. I've also been used to NIN being called a weird band altogether entirely.

I'm Not From This World sounds like the devil opening up hell from beneath, kind of a cool contrast to "God breaking down the door".
It's interesting that you mentioned that because I had a similar thought about Play the Goddamned Part, as the part that God damned. It also helped that it reminded me of the Ganon/Ganondorf theme from The Legend of Zelda. Either track works for me though, as far as what you've just said goes.

I was thinking the same exact thing, but also included Terrible Lie being switched for Heresy as a show opener.

I just realized that Not What It Seems Like on Fragile Deviations reminds alot of Zero Sum. Since it's a song that supposedly had lyrics, it's interesting to think of the lyrics on that track being Zero Sum's lyrics. I might actually put the chorus on there from the multitrack at some point just to hear it for myself.
Not What It Seems Like actually reminded me about I'm Afraid of Americans and Ghosts II - 18, and from the sound of it, it also seems like it could perhaps be remixed/mashed up rather nicely with Ghosts II - 18.

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
11-17-2018, 10:53 PM
Every album from PHM through Year Zero has a companion remix album/EP...Then after YZ, Trent stopped doing remix albums....I would like to see NIN drop another remix album in the future. Especially considering how the trilogy (NTAE, AV, BW) is much more electronic than anything he has done in the previous decade. Those songs would be great candidates for remixes

sheepdean
11-17-2018, 11:40 PM
Every album from PHM through Year Zero has a companion remix album/EP...Then after YZ, Trent stopped doing remix albums....I would like to see NIN drop another remix album in the future. Especially considering how the trilogy (NTAE, AV, BW) is much more electronic than anything he has done in the previous decade. Those songs would be great candidates for remixes
PHM didn't have one? A maxi single doesn't count - and EDIETS isn't really a remix EP either

I always thought Ghosts and The Slip not having one was weird though, considering he gave us the tools to do it

BRoswell
11-18-2018, 02:33 AM

There was a digital only remix EP for Hesitation Marks, but yeah, I would love to see more remixes. I would especially love to see Alessandro do a remix of some of the newer material.

I always thought Ghosts and The Slip not having one was weird though, considering he gave us the tools to do it

That was the point though. Trent gave us the tools and said "go crazy". The remixes could be whatever we wanted them to be, which was in the spirit of those albums.

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
11-18-2018, 02:41 AM
PHM didn't have one? A maxi single doesn't count - and EDIETS isn't really a remix EP either

I consider the HLAH "maxi single" a remix album...10 tracks...Its as much of a remix album as Things Falling Apart is....He just called it a "maxi single"...He could have easily called it an album (like he did with Things Falling Apart)....Even the EDIETS EP has 5 or 6 remixes of 3 different songs (similar to Fixed)...

Microwave Jellyfish
11-18-2018, 04:35 AM
A proper WT remix album would have been superb. There's so much cool stuff hiding in plain sound even when it comes to those seemingly straightforward tracks, just begging to be used as the backbone of weird re-interpretations.

I'll take anything over Hurt closing live shows. It's a great song, there is no doubting that, but just such a bummer of an ending.
Fans shouting "YEAH YOU ARE!" after the "I am still right here" line a'la Panorama 2017 should become a tradition. We all know how much the man hates being hackled during Hurt, but that moment was magical; as if it totally changed the song into some kind of celebration. I think everyone there loved it.

Halo Infinity
11-18-2018, 02:05 PM
La Mer from And All That Could Have Been and Beside You In Time from Beside You In Time still sometimes manage to choke me up a bit from time to time.

Both songs along with their visuals from those DVDs just cut right through even when I'm not choked up.

For La Mer, it's the part where Trent lifts his arms at the screen and steps sideways as he brushes his arms on it. For Beside You In Time, it's the visual special effect of Trent shattering a gigantic screen with the mic stand.

nmitchell86
11-18-2018, 03:06 PM

One more thought about this... I just want to clarify, I do really like Hurt. I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression here. But, Right Where It Belongs could be a nice alternative sometimes to mix things up, like especially if it fits the "theme" of a setlist.

(yes, I quoted myself...)

nooneimportant
11-18-2018, 04:46 PM
There was a digital only remix EP for Hesitation Marks, but yeah, I would love to see more remixes. I would especially love to see Alessandro do a remix of some of the newer material.

I want Alessandro's version of A Warm Place in studio.

mfte
11-19-2018, 09:53 AM
TR's vocals on this tour have been top notch. His highs are especially impressive. I wonder if this has anything to do with him slimming down the last few years. I noticed that he wasn't really able to hit certain notes, tones when he was "swol neck trent"

I was always interested to know what sort of work out regimen he was following. The only reference to this I ever read was an interview with Greg from Dillinger Escape Plan where he mentioned seeing TR's dressing room and making note of huge weights and a mountain of supplements.

ryanmcfly
11-19-2018, 10:37 AM
TR's vocals on this tour have been top notch. His highs are especially impressive. I wonder if this has anything to do with him slimming down the last few years. I noticed that he wasn't really able to hit certain notes, tones when he was "swol neck trent"

I was always interested to know what sort of work out regimen he was following. The only reference to this I ever read was an interview with Greg from Dillinger Escape Plan where he mentioned seeing TR's dressing room and making note of huge weights and a mountain of supplements.

Agreed about TR's vocals. Easily the best I've personally seen him do live. Best sounding since the With Teeth era, but i didn't get to see that lineup live in person sadly

bobbie solo
11-19-2018, 09:22 PM
Fans shouting "YEAH YOU ARE!" after the "I am still right here" line a'la Panorama 2017 should become a tradition.

Absolutely not. I never want NIN to be that kind of band, and def. don't want Trent/uber fans to lean into that mentality.

sheepdean
11-19-2018, 09:34 PM
I want Alessandro's version of A Warm Place in studio.
I want Alessandro and Mariqueen to cover Illum Tangendo

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-19-2018, 11:26 PM
Bill Nye’s new book is called “Everything All At Once” and that name is now permanently associated with GBDTD for me.

snaapz
11-20-2018, 07:51 PM
TR once again (live stream Q&A) saying how important it is to do what you feel is right; and how anger still plays a part in what he produces (NIN). He also said he hates music videos and only likes a few of NINs, many end up in the trash.

This video has always been my favourite. Such a powerful song. There's something strange about watching people create this very high energy, yet they all look depressed and sad. Another example is the end of Nirvana - Aneurysm (Muddy Banks)... at the end of the very loud and fast song with a lot of energy you hear Kurt quietly say "thank you". That always get me LOL.

Anyways... I wonder if Manson was like TRs alter ego; TR kind of used MANSON to bring in and channel some new "vibes" which TR wanted in his life and music (less synth pop and more dark).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVpw1SwJRBI

Steven
11-20-2018, 08:50 PM
It was cool of Trent to open up about how he wanted the band to sound tougher after PHM and how he was influenced by some pressure from fans, but tried to do what he felt was honest/right. I think a lot of us, me included, feel like Trent always has a master plan, but at one time he was really insecure and unsure of what to do.

nooneimportant
11-21-2018, 12:12 AM

I noticed Trent never lets anyone peak into his workout life nor does he even talk about it, he most likely doesn't want to come off as "that guy." You know the one, constantly bragging about their workouts, taking gym selfies and plugging protein. There's nothing wrong with hitting the gym but I hate it when people constantly have to tell the world they are in the gym. Nobody gives a shit how long you were on an elliptical.

Andallthatcouldhavebeen
11-21-2018, 02:17 PM
I noticed Trent never lets anyone peak into his workout life nor does he even talk about it, he most likely doesn't want to come off as "that guy." You know the one, constantly bragging about their workouts, taking gym selfies and plugging protein. There's nothing wrong with hitting the gym but I hate it when people constantly have to tell the world they are in the gym. Nobody gives a shit how long you were on an elliptical.

Agree. I also find it interesting that hes a celebrity able to keep personal and professional life seperate on a publicity level. I mean, we still dont know kid 3's name, and all of the interviewers seem to know already not to ask about his personal life with the queen and children. If he talks about it, he does so vaguely, like speaking about how the lyrics to closer seem really weird when dropping kid off at school and having other parents around, or how his kids favorite song was less than and he had to stop and think about how he curses in the song.

ryanmcfly
11-21-2018, 03:29 PM
Speaking of Trent's workout life.... I found this really old interview with Greg Puciato talking about Trent's dressing room and all of the weights and shit that were in it at the time. https://www.sosuave.net/forum/threads/wow-what-the-hell-happened-to-trent-reznor.125485/

Steven
11-21-2018, 05:14 PM
Speaking of Trent's workout life.... I found this really old interview with Greg Puciato talking about Trent's dressing room and all of the weights and shit that were in it at the time. https://www.sosuave.net/forum/threads/wow-what-the-hell-happened-to-trent-reznor.125485/

Speaking of Greg Puciato, I'd be so into a TR & The Black Queen collaboration of sorts. Also when I was first getting into NIN as a teenager it seemed so badass to me that TR had both really interesting music as well as having muscles/being really in shape. He's been one of my biggest role models of sorts as to what I want to look and do when I'm older.

Halo Infinity
11-21-2018, 09:35 PM
It's kind of funny how this just occurred to me right now. I like how The Downward Spiral and Pretty Hate Machine re-releases happened before With Teeth and after The Slip. It's yet another reminder why NIN is just the gift that keeps on giving, and for the right and best reasons possible. Since we got TDS re-release to play around with before With Teeth, and the PHM re-release just right after The Slip era. I also haven't been really listening to the re-releases that much at all, but I'm finally revisiting them again. I might just make it a regular habit to listen to them more than the original versions this time around.

The SACD version of TDS is still my most favorite version as of now, and I absolutely love the way PHM remastered sounded, sometimes forgetting that Get Down Make Love is just right after Ringfinger, a cover which I also love, especially knowing that it came from Queen.

Oh, and I still find it fascinating to wonder what it must've been like to have been a fan before The Downward Spiral came out, let alone the beginning from 1989-1991. (And 1988.) I have wondered though. I think there are more fans that became fans during the TDS, TF and WT eras though, and it's cool to see more fans from the newer eras as well. But that's my only regret, as far as not catching NIN from the start, or at lest before TDS, even though it was out of my control, and I was just far too young anyway.

Halo Infinity
11-22-2018, 09:39 AM
The Fragile was my first favorite Nine Inch Nails album of all time. Even though I sometimes listen to other albums more than The Fragile, I remember listening to The Fragile the most on repeat. As much as I was blown away by Pretty Hate Machine, Broken and The Downward Spiral, it was The Fragile that sealed the deal for me as far as my introduction to Nine Inch Nails went, and just getting hooked. It just gave me the most interest and excitement at the time.

Perhaps it was also because it was a double album, which also increased the appeal to me, and just how pleasantly surprised I was, along with the album art itself, which I still love. I know I've said this before, but I think this is why I can finally say that I actually rank The Fragile above The Downward Spiral, but just by a hair. I flip on both albums on a regular basis most of the time anyway, but The Fragile is the album is still love the most and relate to the most so far, ever since becoming a fan.

Oh, and speaking of album art again, it was a nice surprise to see Trent Reznor on Pretty Hate Machine and With Teeth. (This was when I was just learning that Trent Reznor normally doesn't put pictures of himself on any album art whatsoever, based on my experience as a new fan back in 2002-2005.)

With all that being said, I'm just thankful that NIN has provided me not only quality music and videos, but has also given me music that helps me deal with life itself, as well as music to just have fun with. I have and will continued to support NIN, since it's always in exchange for all of those hours, days, months and years of entertainment and coping/relating to his works.

I also can't believe that I forgot to mention this for quite some time.

The pauses in The Fragile and All The Love In The World are among my favorite moments on The Fragile and With Teeth. My mind just instantly tries to fill in the blanks when I hear those moments.

The Fragile: If I could fix myself I'd- But it's too late for me.

I always guessed that the following word might've been try.

All That Love In The World: I've become a million miles- Sometimes I get so lonely I could-

Why do you get all the love in the world?

And in this case, I'd obviously guess the words away and die, and maybe even cry.

henryeatscereal
11-22-2018, 10:10 AM
After an awesome "NIN-weekend" i started to remember when i first got into the band back in 95'

I remember becoming obsesed after listening to "Closer" on MTV and i started to look for "The Downward Spiral" CD.

At the time there was no internet and record stores carried very few copies, so i had no idea what the album cover looked like.
I remember watching a TV show and they mentioned the album and i remember a VERY different cover for TDS with a snail shell art pretty similar to the "Closer to God" single (Halo 9)
Anyway i eventually got the album but i never found that cover, maybe was just my imagination? i know memories can be inaccurate and i do know that cover doesn't exist, but is funny how real it's to me.

Anyway just wanted to share...

Shadaloo
11-26-2018, 05:19 PM
I am listening to screamingslave's recording of 2018-10-13 and I still *sniff* don't *sniff* understand *sniffle* why *crying gasp* they didn't come to Toronto they always at least come to Toronto and I hate you America I hate you your country is stupid and your lower-right state looks like a penis and it's dumb and at-at least we have good maple syrup and-and it's-and it's not fair they didn't come it's not fair it's no-ho-ooooottt

*stomping foot, running off crying with arms at sides, comedically flailing around at the elbows*

dedevoce
11-26-2018, 06:40 PM
Oh, and I still find it fascinating to wonder what it must've been liked to have been a fan before The Downward Spiral came out, let alone the beginning from 1989-1991. (And 1988.) I have wondered though. I think there are more fans that became fans during the TDS, TF and WT eras though, and it's cool to see more fans from the newer eras as well. But that's my only regret, as far as not catching NIN from the start, or at lest before TDS, even though it was out of my control, and I was just far too young anyway.

Maybe not what you mean by "fan" but I've got a couple of stories and would also like to hear others out there. I had just turned 15 when PHM came out. I didn't own it but my sister and my best friend at the time both did. I listened to it first with my friend (back in the days Trent talks about sometimes when it was cool to sit around and listen to actual records because there was nothing on TV and music didn't always travel well). I remember that I thought Trent had a lot of talent and potential and hoped that he'd release more music. I was (and still am, if I dare to confess this on a NIN fansite) more into The Cure than NIN or anything so didn't end up buying TDS myself until The Crow soundtrack came out. Then I liked it enough (not to mention the really fucking cute dude in my poetry class was a fan :p ) that I ended up backtracking and getting the EPs. I missed the Fragile when first released but ran into WT shortly after the release and been keeping an eye open for new NIN since then.

K-Rice
11-26-2018, 08:23 PM
I found this fun NIN quiz on Sporcle. See if you can guess each NIN song when it's compressed into a 8-second clip. I did great on the first half, but there are some pretty obscure ones thrown in.
https://www.sporcle.com/games/machotrouts/gettingsmaller

Steven
11-26-2018, 08:30 PM
I found this fun NIN quiz on Sporcle. See if you can guess each NIN song when it's compressed into a 8-second clip. I did great on the first half, but there are some pretty obscure ones thrown in.

20/32

Steven
11-26-2018, 11:22 PM
2013 live version of Sanctified is such a g-damn banger! So happy I saw it live in Chicago (Night 3) this year. PHM is so fun in general, I forget that sometimes.

Andallthatcouldhavebeen
11-27-2018, 07:09 AM
I remember the first time I heard NIN was when I was with my boyfriend and he let me borrow his ipod for a bus ride home. This was 2012. All he had on there was NIN, some 80s pop, and movie soundtracks. I was extremely religious at the time, so I thought oh cool, 'closer to God' what's this? It was not what I was expecting at all, I was so confused at how misleading the title was.
But I enjoyed what I felt was chaos in the song and kept listening. I liked NIN from that point on, but just as another band added to my collection of bands I listen too.

I didnt really truly get into NIN until recently with the EP trilogy. I feel sad writing that, because my boyfriend (now husband) stayed a hardcore fan and would give me information regarding NIN anytime there was news to be had. He would get excited, and I'd be 'cool'. Hes already told me that his ideal dream closet of shirts is just NIN shirts and some nice dress up shirts. When Hesitation Marks came out, we listened to that on repeat for hours and hours over the span of months. It got to where I needed a break from NIN because of it.

It's crazy how I am telling him news before he knows about it now, and buying stuff before he knew it was even out. (Orange Halloween vinyl for ex.) I'm in the stages of relistening to everything and finding little details I never caught before. Enjoying lyrics and listening to the same things over and over. Even though my husband introduced me to it, I feel as if I've come up with my own reasons to love this band that are completely different from his. We'll discuss, and have different viewpoints on certain songs but say things that the other never took into consideration when listening.

All he said when I told him I think NIN is my favorite band is "I dont understand what took you so long."

snaapz
11-27-2018, 02:58 PM
NIN should put out another rock album. I wonder if TR is still intimidated by the idea of trying to put out an album.

I'm a fan of TRs structure, rhythm, and use of guitar when he writes "rock" songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko99mg42iyY

Steven
11-27-2018, 04:15 PM
I'm happy that the trilogy was released in 3 separate parts, if TR/AR released all 16 songs at the same time it would be just too much. I loved the time in between NTAE and AV and AV and BW when we were all wondering what the hell the next EP would sound like.

Max
11-27-2018, 06:34 PM
I remember the first time I heard NIN was when I was with my boyfriend and he let me borrow his ipod for a bus ride home. This was 2012.

Let me just say that it’s awesome to hear stories about people discovering NIN more recently. Getting into them in 1995, I can’t imagine what it would even be like experiencing them in a different era. I think that’s really cool though. I often wonder what it was like for the people there at the beginning too. I can’t relate to that either.

Andallthatcouldhavebeen
11-28-2018, 08:02 AM
Let me just say that it’s awesome to hear stories about people discovering NIN more recently. Getting into them in 1995, I can’t imagine what it would even be like experiencing them in a different era. I think that’s really cool though. I often wonder what it was like for the people there at the beginning too. I can’t relate to that either.

I wish I had gotten into them sooner! I am just happy that by the time I truly got into them, I had such a huge catalog available to go through. You did a lot of waiting for new releases that I haven't had to do.
Also, as a side note, I was born in 95. I often wish I had been born sooner because music seemed so much greater back then, and even just the music listening experience seemed more... magical? Can I have nostalgia for something I've never experienced?

Max
11-28-2018, 09:47 AM
It was a really magical time and we didn’t know it then because we were all too angsty to realize, lol. MTV was in its golden age, where music videos were these big budget short films, bands like NIN were actually becoming household names. For like five years it was magic.

SM Rollinger
11-28-2018, 10:05 AM
It was the allure of the Closer video on MTV back in the day that initially piqued my interest.

roolfdriht
11-28-2018, 10:13 AM
It was the allure of the Closer video on MTV back in the day that initially piqued my interest.

Same here! Specifically, it was the <10 second clip of the video in the "Buzz Bin" promos. I believe the excerpt focused on "help me...", but now I'm headed to YouTube to see if I can verify.

For those of you wishing you were born earlier in NIN's run, I can sympathize, but only to a point. I found the wait for The Fragile to be excruciating, probably because the 5.5 years it took was 30% of my life to that point. While objectively longer, the wait for With Teeth raced by (thank you, college life distractions).

Nellyrific
11-28-2018, 11:54 AM
I have such clear memories of The Fragile coming out and buying it at Sam Goody. I wouldn’t give up being a teenager in the mid to late 90s for anything, although I’m sure most people feel that way.

ickyvicky
11-28-2018, 12:05 PM
I always liked NIN, but it was their performance of "The Fragile" on the MTV Video Music Awards that made me a super fan. Watching that live was so cool.

klyrish
11-28-2018, 12:26 PM
I have such clear memories of The Fragile coming out and buying it at Sam Goody. I wouldn’t give up being a teenager in the mid to late 90s for anything, although I’m sure most people feel that way.
Did you ask your parents to take out a second mortgage so you could afford to get it from Sam Goody or did you just sell drugs for a few years to save up enough?

Nellyrific
11-28-2018, 12:48 PM
Did you ask your parents to take out a second mortgage so you could afford to get it from Sam Goody or did you just sell drugs for a few years to save up enough?

...what??

klyrish
11-28-2018, 12:53 PM
...what??

It was a joke. Was Sam Goody not obscenely expensive/overpriced compared to every other store where you grew up like it was for me? CDs were regularly $19.99-24.99 for a single disc, $29.99+ for two discs.

Nellyrific
11-28-2018, 12:58 PM
It was a joke. Was Sam Goody not obscenely expensive/overpriced compared to every other store where you grew up like it was for me? CDs were regularly $19.99-24.99 for a single disc, $29.99+ for two discs.

Ah, no not all. I would go to either Tower Records, Sam Goody, or the Wherehouse, and I remember them being comparable. The fact that I was spending my parent’s money may have clouded my memory of that, however.

klyrish
11-28-2018, 01:04 PM
Ah, no not all. I would go to either Tower Records, Sam Goody, or the Wherehouse, and I remember them being comparable. The fact that I was spending my parent’s money may have clouded my memory of that, however.
I remember getting The Fragile from Best Buy for $18 after saving my allowance for weeks and recall it being in the neighborhood of $35 at Sam Goody in the mall.

xolotl
11-28-2018, 01:09 PM
I always liked NIN, but it was their performance of "The Fragile" on the MTV Video Music Awards that made me a super fan. Watching that live was so cool.

I think I've still got that on a VHS tape in my basement somewhere, heh.

If we're swapping The Fragile purchase stories, mine was taking an early lunch at my job so I could get over to Best Buy for their 10AM open, and then just having the thing on repeat all day while I worked. I have to assume I wasn't especially productive that day...

Kulerage
11-28-2018, 08:50 PM
30/32
Pilgrimage was tough, and I can't believe freaking With Teeth got me.

Max
11-29-2018, 07:26 PM
I remember Head like a Hole on MTV for a while and thinking it was weird. And a few years later in high school March of the Pigs and Closer videos hitting and I thought Closer was like the weirdest disco sounding... took me like a year to really get into but one I did I dove way in. Pretty Hate Machine was in heavy rotation after some classic high school heartbreak. Broken and fixed actually happened after for me. I was all haphazard about it because I only knew one guy who was into them and I had MTV and that was it.

Halo Infinity
11-30-2018, 04:49 PM
As I've already written, I absolutely agree because some of the stories are of fans discovering Nine Inch Nails from very unlikely times and places.

I wish I had gotten into them sooner! I am just happy that by the time I truly got into them, I had such a huge catalog available to go through. You did a lot of waiting for new releases that I haven't had to do.
Also, as a side note, I was born in 95. I often wish I had been born sooner because music seemed so much greater back then, and even just the music listening experience seemed more... magical? Can I have nostalgia for something I've never experienced?
It's very interesting to hear from fans that were born after The Downward Spiral. I've been looking for Nine Inch Nails fans born in the late 1990s and early 2000s and they're usually impossible to find. Most of the youngest fans I know were born in the mid 1980s to the early 1990s. Or even if they've just heard of Nine Inch Nails, they were born before 1995.

Whoa, not that I remember, since I never really got into collecting CDs until 1999, but that actually makes FYE look affordable. However, FYE always made sure to make the hit albums very cheap though. And when I say cheap, a lot of them were well under $10.00 even with sales tax included.

2013 live version of Sanctified is such a g-damn banger! So happy I saw it live in Chicago (Night 3) this year. PHM is so fun in general, I forget that sometimes.
For real, and I totally see what you mean. The live version of Terrible Lie also sounds likes something even some metalheads would love. I also loved the way Kinda I Want To and Ringfinger turned out live. I also like how Trent Reznor changes it up a bit when he does certain songs like that live, especially when considering that some of those changes were also taken from Purest Feeling.

Anyway, since this is about Sanctified, this is also my favorite version of Sanctified. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VayJ0n4BGUI

I remember getting The Fragile from Best Buy for $18 after saving my allowance for weeks and recall it being in the neighborhood of $35 at Sam Goody in the mall.
The price of The Fragile is what always interested me as double album. From my experience, although it's only what I've noticed since 2002, The Fragile at the lowest for me was between say $17.99 to $19.99. At the highest it was between $21.99 to $24.99. So in other words, you'd at least need one 20 dollar bill and one 10 dollar bill to get it, or at the very least just one 20 dollar bill and one 5 dollar bill to get it. And oh how I miss being able to buy CDs in real life the way I did back in the 2000s.

Either way, it was one of my favorite ways to spend those types of bills together.

The stores I'd find it at those prices were Coconuts, Circuit City, FYE and Best Buy. And now since I shop for CDs at Amazon.com, the lowest I've ever seen The Fragile was roughly between $15.00 to $18.00

And since this is about buying The Fragile and it's actual possible prices...

I've also always had these commercials in mind whenever I purchased The Fragile among other Nine Inch Nails CDs as birthday and Christmas presents. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4K4r2gxIkU

TinDefacto
12-02-2018, 02:17 AM
Somehow managed to sleep in til 1pm today and my first thought was, "How did I sleep until-" followed by 1,000,000 suddenly popping into my head.

mauro995
12-02-2018, 03:50 AM
It's very interesting to hear from fans that were born after The Downward Spiral. I've been looking for Nine Inch Nails fans born in the late 1990s and early 2000s and they're usually impossible to find. Most of the youngest fans I know were born in the mid 1980s to the early 1990s. Or even if they just here of Nine Inch Nails, they were born before 1995.

I also was born in 95 and discovered NIN in 2012 by listening to With Teeth, and became a fan in 2013 with the release of Hesitation Marks and diving into all of the 90's material. As a musician, I don't know many bands righ now with so much intensity, artistry and with such a layered production.

TinDefacto
12-02-2018, 12:30 PM
I also was born in 95 and discovered NIN in 2012 by listening to With Teeth, and became a fan in 2013 with the release of Hesitation Marks and diving into all of the 90's material. As a musician, I don't know many bands righ now with so much intensity, artistry and with such a layered production.
It's so cool to me how many other NIN fans my age there now are! I was also born in '95 but have been a fan since before I could walk, thanks to my parents. Things were lonely for a while -- I remember being the only 11-year-old on the old ETS. :')

Steven
12-02-2018, 01:37 PM
This is more of a random music thought than a random NIN thought, but sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who listens to music they like. As in, almost any music discussion on the internet (except for this site and select parts of others) are almost exclusively talking about overrated old bands, new bands which suck, and discussion about how people were embarrassed to like certain music in their past. Just too much negativity man, I don't get it.

Halo Infinity
12-02-2018, 03:14 PM
Somehow managed to sleep in til 1pm today and my first thought was, "How did I sleep until-" followed by 1,000,000 suddenly popping into my head.
That's also actually happened to me before, but with Echoplex instead, and sometimes Even Deeper.

TinDefacto
12-02-2018, 03:30 PM
That's also actually happened to me before, but with Echoplex instead, and sometimes Even Deeper.
Ah, my point was that my groggy thought of "How did I sleep until-" apparently sounded enough like the ending of 999,999 for my brain to trigger 1,000,000 immediately. xD

Halo Infinity
12-02-2018, 07:24 PM
@TinDefacto (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=183) - Now I really see what you did there. Good one. :)

For me, it was also the "I woke up today to find myself in the other place with a trail of my footprints from where I ran away." on Even Deeper that did it to me. As for Echoplex, I suppose it's also because it's one of those NIN songs I also tend to go to whenever I feeling extremely calm and/or exhausted.

As for another random NIN thought I kept forgetting to post...

I still picture the Trent Reznor of Woodstock 1994 and Closure every time I see him live. I wasn't there for that era, but it always struck that much of a nerve with me, that is until I get reminded of what the band looked like during 1989-1991. I've somehow admitted this before, but just not in those exacts words. Anyway, it's still very hard for me to get that image/era out of my mind.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-03-2018, 07:25 PM
My used vinyl copy of The Slip FINALLY came in the mail. Shipped in an awkwardly large and less-then-properly packed box, but it came! Much better condition than I was expecting given the packaging, heh. Not a bad get for $60 on eBay.

Halo Infinity
12-03-2018, 10:34 PM
I still love how this turned out, especially knowing that Trent took a picture of the Broken cassette when he was recording Hesitation Marks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv9Yi6Z-zrk

eversonpoe
12-04-2018, 06:38 AM
ordered a copy of Add Violence from amazon for my friend for x-mas (i've given him NTAE & BW as gifts for previous occasions) along with a few other records for other people. the five records total came in two different boxes. one record in each box was inside a mailer, the others weren't, and AV must have been severely damaged before even going into the box because the front cover has been so compressed that it looks like the record is going to burst through it. and of course i ordered a replacement and they threw it into an over-sized box with three air packets, and the corner got bent during shipping. i've had mostly good luck with vinyl shipping from amazon in the last couple years but that is fucking ridiculous.

chuckrh
12-06-2018, 03:54 AM
i've been listening to a lot of shows from the current tour (thank you RITC!). i think that right now, NIN are the best band on the planet. they (& Trent his self) are always high on my list but i've never made that statement before. almost every show is absolutely stellar & they seem to be getting stronger as they go along. i feel bad that due to health issues i can't travel to any shows on the tour but at least i got to see them a year ago. probably won't happen but i would love to see what the whole touring band could come up with in the studio. every player is so good. think ilan is my favorite drummer on the planet right now. the man is a beast! mean that in best possible way. hope this lineup continues well into the future.

Dryalex12
12-06-2018, 07:55 PM
It's very interesting to hear from fans that were born after The Downward Spiral. I've been looking for Nine Inch Nails fans born in the late 1990s and early 2000s and they're usually impossible to find. Most of the youngest fans I know were born in the mid 1980s to the early 1990s. Or even if they've just heard of Nine Inch Nails, they were born before 1995.

actually, funny thing about that for me, being that i was born in 96, my experience with getting into NIN is interesting. Prior to me getting into them, i've only heard a few songs by Trent, surprising Closer was not the first one (it was terrible lie actually), but I did know about Closer, I knew Head Like A Hole, i didn't know it at the time, but I knew Down In It (though i'd have to look it up later since i only knew the stupid "rain rain go away part") and I knew The Perfect Drug....but for whatever reason, I remember it different than what i heard back then. I have never heard any songs from The Fragile until i got into Trent's work, not even a snippet, and not even in a movie trailer.

I also used to hate NIN too. I dont know why, but I do remember when With Teeth was about to come out and THTF was the new single at the time and telling my mom to "turn this crap off". I do remember the video for that and Only being played a lot. I also saw Survivalism a few times too. I was made aware of Wish from the Linkin Park cover (shut up, dont even at me, they did a great job), and I also never heard the Cash cover of Hurt until after i listened to TDS.

and speaking of that album, that's what made me change my mind.

I was just starting my freshman year at like...2012-2013? somewhere around there. could have been earlier. But yeah, I wasnt doing very good mental wise and only got worse as the years went on, but I've always used music to help calm myself down and just kinda lull my depression down a bit. And I was told Trent's music was good for that. So i looked a random album by them on Youtube while I was playing minecraft...

the album I picked was Still and i was unprepared for the emotional trainwreck I got myself into

Im playing away and im just taken aback at the still version of Something I Can Never Have...it felt weird since at the time, I wasn't aware of this side of Trent. As the songs go on, im slowly changing my opinion on my previous thoughts on what I had with Trent's music....and then the last 4 songs hit me.

While i prefer the Quite and the Original version of this song better...probably because I don't like the song pitched down a half step (or up a half step live for whatever reason), The Day The World Went Away would wind up being one of my all time favorite songs by Trent...and then the last 3 songs happen...sweet jesus i was not ready for it.

I'm still playing around, and "And All That Could Have Been" starts to play....and I had to pause the game for a bit to catch myself because I was on the verge of crying my ass off. I was not expecting to get such a strong reaction from one song...god it was like a sucker punch to the chest. The Persistence of Loss was moody, and I quite enjoyed the vibe it got, it also gave me a moment to catch myself from the crying fit I almost had and it ended up being the first song i learned on piano, though I still felt the song was very sad...oh if I only knew what was coming next.

Leaving Hope starts and im still playing around...and once the main melody starts playing....I had to turn the game off....because I just lost it. That song broke me into pieces and I was just a sobbing mess. Any hatred of the NIN i had was gone instantly from that one song. It felt like someone close to me just died, I felt the darkness and hopelessness the song had and it felt like I could touch it. I came close to losing that battle with that darkness in 2015, but i was able to notice something wrong with me at that time and was able to fix it, and I have Trent's music to thank for helping me with that along with the other music I listened too.

But yeah, after I got done with Still, I started my collection, The Downward Spiral was the first album I ever bought and i haven't looked back since

SchwarzerAbt
12-07-2018, 01:10 AM
19 Ghosts III somehow reminds me of Manu Chao. It's like an industrial version of "Me gustas tu".

At least to my ears... ;)

henryeatscereal
12-07-2018, 10:14 AM
19 Ghosts III somehow reminds me of Manu Chao. It's like an industrial version of "Me gustas tu".

At least to my ears... ;)
I guess they do have similar rhythm but that's it

mauro995
12-08-2018, 09:52 AM
Suddenly I need the live band to start to cover Aphex Twin's Come to Daddy, with Robin doing vocals. It might sound not so different to the Bad Witch material.

Halo Infinity
12-09-2018, 12:40 AM
As normal as this actually is, it never ceases to amaze me how albums I grow older with mean so many different things to me as time passes by.

Broken, The Downward Spiral and The Fragile are still the best at pulling me at out of my lowest and weakest emotional and mental states, but I look at them differently than I used to, as I have with all of the other albums, especially With Teeth. Some of the what I see hasn't changed, yet it's also still sometimes very different from how I first took them in. Experience and age apparently has a lot more to do with how music is sometimes taken than I've previously thought.

This is also why it's fascinating to see fans compare what they thought of NIN as children/teenagers to what they think of NIN as an adult. I can only speak about it as far back as the age of 17 though. Anyway, it's just one of those changes in life that interest me, especially in regards to following something and growing with it, as the very thing you follow grows and progresses.

Halo Infinity
12-09-2018, 02:47 PM
This is more of a random music thought than a random NIN thought, but sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who listens to music they like. As in, almost any music discussion on the internet (except for this site and select parts of others) are almost exclusively talking about overrated old bands, new bands which suck, and discussion about how people were embarrassed to like certain music in their past. Just too much negativity man, I don't get it.
It's interesting that you mention that, because some forums don't even discuss individual bands/musicians and albums. Even if it's allowed, they only discuss random genres and songs. (Which is also done on ETS, but the majority of ETS was always album-oriented to the point of also collecting the actual cassettes, CDs and vinyl, while also following individual bands/musicians at a time and attending concerts frequently.) Perhaps it's because some music sections of other forums are mostly filled with casual listeners.

However, I think it's still bound to happen no matter where you go. From what you're saying, it's pretty much boiled down to nothing but "Cool versus Sucks" and "Cool or Sucks?" While comparisons and likes/feelings of love/excitement and dislikes/feelings of hatred/apathy are inevitable, I also absolutely understand why you'd rather not be subject to that, nor involved with that type of music discussion at all.

I'm also trying to tie this with NIN and well, and it turns out that it could certainly apply, since outside in ETS, there's discussion about The Downward Spiral or The Fragile being the last good/great NIN albums, or NIN also being overrated or at the very worst shitty/sucky/lame when compared to other bands/musicians from the 1980s and 1990s, or how all of old NIN is always better no matter what else came out after The Downward Spiral/The Fragile and/or With Teeth.

I also just wanted to say that Echoplex is still very chill for me. I like it for the same reasons I like Every Day Is Exactly The Same and Copy Of A, but it's kind chills me out on The Slip in a way that A Warm Place and La Mer did that to me on The Downward Spiral and The Fragile, but for very different reasons.

I also still love the way Echoplex also starts on The Slip's DVD, and hope to see Echoplex live if I see NIN live again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08MFfj_ZXWU

Max
12-09-2018, 08:55 PM
I have been camping out on the Fragile for a few days for some reason and I think the best interpretation of this album is what I read someone once say about it: The Fragile is about Trent Reznor trying to make The Fragile. That makes sense of everything on here. Like every song on this album is just about his life during those two or three years. What he was feeling as he tried to figure himself and his direction out. He just captured it and packaged it. And it’s great! it’s really kind of meta but somehow it works.

mfte
12-10-2018, 10:54 AM

Yeah that's the one. I think "The Collector" is about lifting weights. Like when he says "i pick things up" :p

xolotl
12-10-2018, 11:54 AM
Yeah that's the one. I think "The Collector" is about lifting weights. Like when he says "i pick things up" :p

I understand that things like protein shakes tend to accumulate, once you get into hardcore weightlifting.

Perhaps the "feelings" he's accumulating in the net are actually big ol' tires.

Steven
12-11-2018, 01:46 AM
The opening verse of Sonne by Rammstein reminds me so much of the opening verse of Wish by NIN

snaapz
12-12-2018, 12:09 PM
When on stage performing... which does TR most enjoy?

Singing or Playing Piano?

I'm listening to 'Painted Sun in Abstract' and I can't help but wonder if TR feels more honest, creative, hidden, happier... when he is behind the Yamaha.