PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Kulerage
07-04-2017, 08:41 PM
I seem to think there is a 'fuck' or two in there somewhere too. All that together could warrant an explicit tag. I don't think it really takes too much to get an explicit tag on an album these days.
Yup, there are two 'fuck's.
"Your voice in fucking echo stereo"
"Just how'd we fucking end up here?"

HWB
07-04-2017, 09:13 PM
Since we speaking of fucks. Here is some trivia about NIN and fucks

Pretty Hate Machine has two fucks

Broken has six fucks (counting in the covers)

The Downward Spiral has twenty five fucks.

The Fragile has fourty-seven fucks, I believe, it was really hard counting up all those Starfuckers

With_Teeth has eight-teen fucks.

Year Zero has one fuck to give

The Slip has one fuck to give

Hesitation Marks has two fucks.

Not The Actual Events has two fucks.

botley
07-04-2017, 11:46 PM
^^Package design, not the artwork... that's by Roger von Golling (http://www.luckyprick.net/interview.php?band=Lucky+Pierre&interview=78).

The album title itself is a suicide reference, so that probably played into it. All Time Low does the whole sex=drugs kind of lyrics. I seem to think there is a 'fuck' or two in there somewhere too. All that together could warrant an explicit tag. I don't think it really takes too much to get an explicit tag on an album these days.
It's the word "fucking" in the line "just how'd we fucking end up here?"

piggy
07-05-2017, 12:12 AM
has TR ever talked about being on a label for Hesitation Marks? i mean in terms of release, not having to worry about that end of things as opposed to how NTAE's release has gone on? i'd like to know his thoughts on these two releases from that end.
Here are his thoughts circa Hesitation Marks:
http://www.nin.wiki/Columbia_Records

elevenism
07-06-2017, 08:41 AM
So...about this FUCKING ep:
Every single day I come here hoping it's out. It can't be much longer damnit

SM Rollinger
07-06-2017, 10:14 AM
That's What I Get is underrated, especially the outtro.

somewhat_
07-06-2017, 10:20 AM
So...about this FUCKING ep:
Every single day I come here hoping it's out. It can't be much longer damnit

Well, it shouldn't be any longer than 2 weeks from tomorrow.

Kyle
07-06-2017, 10:31 AM
Well, it shouldn't be any longer than 2 weeks from tomorrow.

So one week and 6 days from tomorrow, we will be listening.

streetman
07-06-2017, 10:31 AM
The album title itself is a suicide reference, so that probably played into it. All Time Low does the whole sex=drugs kind of lyrics. I seem to think there is a 'fuck' or two in there somewhere too. All that together could warrant an explicit tag. I don't think it really takes too much to get an explicit tag on an album these days.

Simply because he uses the F word a couple times.

joplinpicasso
07-06-2017, 11:12 AM
O' Great Reznor and Ross, give me this EP.

ryanmcfly
07-06-2017, 12:50 PM
O' Great Reznor and Ross, give me this EP.

My guess is either tomorrow or next Friday.

magnolia
07-06-2017, 04:08 PM
I wish Trent would casually slip a rehearsal video onto Instagram, or something. These upcoming shows aren't being hyped up that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sheepdean
07-06-2017, 05:05 PM
It took me quite a few listens to be able to listen to instrumental TDS before I could hear it as music without the vocals in the background, still not there for Fragile

Kyle
07-06-2017, 05:31 PM
It took me quite a few listens to be able to listen to instrumental TDS before I could hear it as music without the vocals in the background, still not there for Fragile

Its like how people who lose limbs supposedly have phantom limbs where they can feel what isn't there. There are parts of Deviations where I can hear phantom voices that aren't there.

elevenism
07-06-2017, 06:44 PM
My guess is either tomorrow or next Friday.
Tomorrow! It would be fucking great if it came out tomorrow!

xfocalinx
07-06-2017, 07:11 PM
I still can't comprehend the "Came back haunted" music video.

GentlemanLoser
07-06-2017, 07:57 PM
I still can't comprehend the "Came back haunted" music video.

But you know, as much as I wrote it off when it first came out, I have grown to rather like it. Though I still can't get behind the constant use of that still image of the bug/girl/gasmask thing...

xfocalinx
07-06-2017, 08:36 PM
But you know, as much as I wrote it off when it first came out, I have grown to rather like it. Though I still can't get behind the constant use of that still image of the bug/girl/gasmask thing...

Is that what that is? I like the video, I just can't make anything out.

Kyle
07-07-2017, 02:01 AM
So if the next two EPs are roughly the same length as NtAE, then we're basically getting an album released a little bit at a time. Perhaps that's what we'll get on CD as a regular release?

Kyle
07-07-2017, 02:22 PM
Ghosts has one on iTunes :P

Also All Time Low has fuck in it

Apple Music has an E next to the mark has been made on aatchb but terrible lie (live) doesn't.

And if you think thats confusing go through some of the old prince catalog on Apple Music. The recent deluxe edition changed it but the original purple rain had an e for let's go crazy and nothing for the song that caused the sticker to exist in the first place. 1999 has an e for little red corvette but none for the song that has the line "I sincerely want to fuck the taste out of your mouth"

GibbonBlack
07-08-2017, 12:03 PM
There's an alternate universe where Still was never released and "And All That Could Have Been" is on Deviations without the lyrics :( Those poor people

Jetvet1975
07-08-2017, 02:07 PM
I have a couple random questions for people I wanted to post and figured this was the spot...

Random question #1- Does anyone else on here get made fun of for being on an online forum for a band that started 30 years ago? Or just being an “obsessed” fan of a band for 30 years? I personally don’t give a shit what other people think, but recently had a “discussion” with someone about this. They said I'm obsessed and not many people follow the same band for 30 years?! I said, "Well, what about Metallica, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Rolling Stones,etc, etc."

Random question #2- Anyone read comics on here? (Another hobby I get my chops busted about...I'm 42, so apparently that's not cool anymore.)

Random question #3- Anyone from Long Island on here? Would be great to meet some fellow fans in the area. (I'm not originally from Long Island, and although I moved down here back in 2001, I haven't really made many friends thanks to my crazy work schedule.)

katara
07-08-2017, 02:31 PM
I have a couple random questions for people I wanted to post and figured this was the spot...

Random question #1- Does anyone else on here get made fun of for being on an online forum for a band that started 30 years ago? Or just being an “obsessed” fan of a band for 30 years? I personally don’t give a shit what other people think, but recently had a “discussion” with someone about this. They said I'm obsessed and not many people follow the same band for 30 years?! I said, "Well, what about Metallica, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Rolling Stones,etc, etc."

Random question #2- Anyone read comics on here? (Another hobby I get my chops busted about...I'm 42, so apparently that's not cool anymore.)

Random question #3- Anyone from Long Island on here? Would be great to meet some fellow fans in the area. (I'm not originally from Long Island, and although I moved down here back in 2001, I haven't really made many friends thanks to my crazy work schedule.)
The answer to questions #1 and #2 are that your 'friends' are assholes.

GibbonBlack
07-08-2017, 02:42 PM

Dude you posted this exact same thing in Random NIN Question 4 hours ago...

The answer to questions #1 and #2 are that your 'friends' are assholes.

haha, and I answered him with basically the exact the same thing, great minds.

Jetvet1975
07-08-2017, 02:52 PM
I wasn't sure which forum it would get seen in more, so figured I'd try both. Thanks for the support though!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

implanted_microchip
07-08-2017, 03:33 PM
I'll take a close-knit well-run active forum over a fucking Facebook group any day of the week

Prettybrokenspiral
07-08-2017, 03:35 PM

I wouldn't care if anyone thought it was silly. NIN have been my favorite band since the year after TDS was released and I've been posting on the NIN and fan forums since the official site got its revamping back when The Fragile came out. It's not something I really think about; I come here to bullshit about my favorite musician and learn about other cultural stuff from like-minded people whose company I generally enjoy, even if it's over the internet.

There's probably nobody in my offline life who can understand the scope of what TR's art means to me, or how it's affected my livelihood. I don't even bother emphasizing it. I'd rather just come here where I know there are people who get it..

Besides, after 30 years, what other band from the 80s or 90s so decidedly non-mainstream can show up in an episode of Twin Peaks and fit right in, or boast a fan base as ardent and as intelligent as the community we have here? I'd say we definitely chose the right musician to support throughout the majority of our lives. One who keeps challenging his fans and his creativity with each new release, tour, project, etc.

Jetvet1975
07-08-2017, 03:57 PM
sooooooooooo

Where's Teitan?!

*edit* nevermind...12 monkeys?

Jetvet1975
07-08-2017, 04:00 PM
I'll take a close-knit well-run active forum over a fucking Facebook group any day of the weekYep, the issue this person hard, was that the forum isn't "real life"...but unfortunately in my line if work i don't have alot of time for "real life" outside of work. Plus, i said if i enjoy it and it makes me happy, what does it fuckin matter?

Jetvet1975
07-08-2017, 04:01 PM
Had*

Kyle
07-08-2017, 05:06 PM
Yep, the issue this person hard, was that the forum isn't "real life"...but unfortunately in my line if work i don't have alot of time for "real life" outside of work. Plus, i said if i enjoy it and it makes me happy, what does it fuckin matter?

Yeah well I met my ex-wife through the 1995 equivalent of this forum so there's that.

Ill leave it to you to decide if that's good or bad lol

Kyle
07-08-2017, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't care if anyone thought it was silly. NIN have been my favorite band since the year after TDS was released and I've been posting on the NIN and fan forums since the official site got its revamping back when The Fragile came out. It's not something I really think about; I come here to bullshit about my favorite musician and learn about other cultural stuff from like-minded people whose company I generally enjoy, even if it's over the internet.

There's probably nobody in my offline life who can understand the scope of what TR's art means to me, or how it's affected my livelihood. I don't even bother emphasizing it. I'd rather just come here where I know there are people who get it..

Besides, after 30 years, what other band from the 80s or 90s so decidedly non-mainstream can show up in an episode of Twin Peaks and fit right in, or boast a fan base as ardent and as intelligent as the community we have here? I'd say we definitely chose the right musician to support throughout the majority of our lives. One who keeps challenging his fans and his creativity with each new release, tour, project, etc.

In the 90s I was also a fan of Pearl Jam. They released their most recent album around the same time as HM. I was going to try to see them on tour but money was tight and when listening to their new album it sounded like their old albums. There was nothing wrong with it and I won't criticize them for knowing their strengths but it was nothing I hadn't heard before. So instead I saw nin twice within less than two months and got two completely different shows (one was made in America so it was the festival show and the other was a tension show). I've seen nin many times over the years and the only two shows that felt the same were when I saw them twice within a week on the fragility tour. Other bands I've seen multiple times give essentially the same show. Different set lists or stage set ups but nothing radically different.

piggy
07-09-2017, 12:30 AM
NIN has meant so much to me over the years and been there for me and shaped me that I don't give two rancid fucks if someone has a problem with my fandom. Especially these days, with all the accolades and kind of the retroactive respect that TR now gets from all sides of the music industry. I finally feel vindicated in my love for that "fuck you like an animal" band, even though NIN was ALWAYS more than that song. Granted, not many people in my life know that I spend time on music forums, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's simply today's version of having conversations with other fans at the record store, or it's a very niche alternative to social networking.

Swykk
07-10-2017, 07:34 PM
Nice to see Gottleib is still so punchable.

cheddamash
07-11-2017, 09:45 AM
“quit fucking around”

All 4 episodes of The Defiant Ones are great! I marathoned through it all last night/this morning. Super interesting stories, great editing, great music/scoring. TR is primarily in episode 3 and I really appreciated the NIN/MM music placed over the Dre/current rap scene story and the Dre/Eminem music over the NIN/MM story. It fit really well. And yes, Gottleib is still very much punchable. TR’s comments on him are classic.

Silent_Schema
07-12-2017, 06:55 AM
If you think about it, there might not be a better time in the future to play the perfect drug live.

They've been on Twin Peaks, so many people were exposed to the new music; some might have looked up for articles about the episode (especially with such an episode, people have questions), where many times it was reported that Trent worked on Lost Highway, so they might have checked out TPD.
David Lynch posted (on facebook I think) about the song some months ago, giving it new exposure.
Also, there's the reissue on vinyl.

Not getting my hopes up, but you never know.

sheepdean
07-12-2017, 07:09 AM
If you think about it, there might not be a better time in the future to play the perfect drug live.

They've been on Twin Peaks, so many people were exposed to the new music; some might have looked up for articles about the episode (especially with such an episode, people have questions), where many times it was reported that Trent worked on Lost Highway, so they might have checked out TPD.
David Lynch posted (on facebook I think) about the song some months ago, giving it new exposure.
Also, there's the reissue on vinyl.

Not getting my hopes up, but you never know.
There was no better time to play Lights In The Sky than on the Lights In The Sky Tour, or AATCHB on the tour that has a live album named after it. Trent is really bad at this.

jmtd
07-12-2017, 09:03 AM
*Finally* hung my Fragile poster in my home office

http://i.imgur.com/Oe0pj6yl.jpg (https://imgur.com/a/iBrWy)

Halo Infinity
07-12-2017, 06:31 PM

Random question #1- Does anyone else on here get made fun of for being on an online forum for a band that started 30 years ago? Or just being an “obsessed” fan of a band for 30 years? I personally don’t give a shit what other people think, but recently had a “discussion” with someone about this. They said I'm obsessed and not many people follow the same band for 30 years?! I said, "Well, what about Metallica, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Rolling Stones,etc, etc."I don't think I was really made fun of, but definitely misunderstood. If I ever got made fun of, at least they let me know that they were just kidding. I never really understood that either, especially with the points you mentioned about those bands that clearly started way before Nine Inch Nails even existed.

Interestingly enough, I was actually more misunderstood due to the fact that I was on an Internet forum to start with, since most of the people I know of are far more familiar with social media instead. Internet forums also seemed to be a very foreign concept to them.

And if anything, fans following musicians, especially their favorites long-term is not only to be expected, but very much normal too.

No, I actually haven't, but I certainly understand the appeal. I've also been there before with some of my other interests, such as playing and collecting old video games and even buying CDs and DVDs, so I can definitely relate. It's not only lame, but a bit of a bummer for me too.

Not at all, but I'm pretty close as far as rides go, on the account that I'm a resident of Queens.

And well, I'm sure you've heard it before, but even I could use the reminder myself. Just keep on being you and doing you. As long as you're doing nothing wrong or hurting anybody, that's all that really matters. :)

Toadflax
07-12-2017, 07:55 PM

The closest thing to this I have is when I tell people I host a Nine Inch Nails podcast (https://www.facebook.com/NINPodcast). Some people can't wrap their minds around how there could be that much to say about one band. Of course, anyone on ETS knows, considering there have been dozens of pages of discussion this month alone about record packaging and value, a two word tweet, a non-existent tour, and a few partially obscured letters on black fabric. ;)

NotoriousTIMP
07-12-2017, 08:13 PM
*Finally* hung my Fragile poster in my home office

http://i.imgur.com/Oe0pj6yl.jpg (https://imgur.com/a/iBrWy)

Good taste, here's mine...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/LKhR0lA_zpsovjsudb9.jpg

botley
07-12-2017, 08:56 PM
^^ OMG Yoda!!

neorev
07-12-2017, 10:05 PM
Part 4 of The Defiant Ones going into shitty Beats By Dre headphones completely ruined the whole thing for me. Sleezy businessman overcharging consumers for a crappy product. What a way to ruin a legacy.

"Changing music from buying to accessing."

Ugh!

Disappointing end to an interesting series.

ekrekel
07-12-2017, 10:08 PM

They've been on Twin Peaks...

I thought for certain this was going to be a lip syncing comment.

eversonpoe
07-12-2017, 11:51 PM
^^ OMG Yoda!!

i always forget how tiny that dog is until i see that picture again

Prettybrokenspiral
07-13-2017, 12:05 AM
Part 4 of The Defiant Ones going into shitty Beats By Dre headphones completely ruined the whole thing for me. Sleezy businessman overcharging consumers for a crappy product. What a way to ruin a legacy.

"Changing music from buying to accessing."

Ugh!

Disappointing end to an interesting series.

Get real. Beats headphones are the best. They're made by the Dr. himself.

(*Eagerly awaits Neorev's vicious rebuttal on why Beats by Dre do, in fact, suck ass*)

neorev
07-13-2017, 12:15 AM
Get real. Beats headphones are the best. They're made by the Dr. himself.

(*Eagerly awaits Neorev's vicious rebuttal on why Beats by Dre do, in fact, suck ass*)

LOL, well, they're really headphones that cost under $20 with over-exaggerated low frequencies...

$200 Beats headphones actually cost just $18 to make

https://www.techspot.com/news/61060-200-beats-headphones-actually-cost-18-make.html

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/did-you-miss-it-beats-by-dre-headphones-cost-14-to-make.759663/

Prettybrokenspiral
07-13-2017, 02:13 AM
LOL, well, they're really headphones that cost under $20 with over-exaggerated low frequencies...

$200 Beats headphones actually cost just $18 to make

https://www.techspot.com/news/61060-200-beats-headphones-actually-cost-18-make.html

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/did-you-miss-it-beats-by-dre-headphones-cost-14-to-make.759663/

I've never been impressed with them.

The earbuds, surprisingly, gave me some nice depth and clarity when I had a pair years ago. But they quickly degraded physically and that didn't sit well with me.

The more costly models were a different story. I remember donning a pair to listen to Year Zero shortly after its release and it sounded like listening to Year Zero inside of a fucking cave. Or through a wall. That was decisively not pleasant.

And then when all the stuff came out about how cheap and overpriced they in fact were, well...yea. They're terrible, lol

Halo Infinity
07-13-2017, 07:36 PM
I just checked out Less Than today, and it still reminded me why I still follow Nine Inch Nails. (I also liked how the video gave me some F-Zero and Star Fox vibes. I also made sure to look it up and see that it was Polybius though, but being a NIN fan that likes those franchises just helped me picture F-Zero and Star Fox as well.)

At this point, I'm sure I'd most likely follow NIN for life. Not that I doubted it, but I feel the same way about NIN exactly the way I first did when I first heard of NIN in 2002. Although, even by then, I missed out on so much. *Say, obviously in comparison to the fans that were there even long before The Fragile was even a thought.*

It's mostly an emotional thing as well. Always has been. I'll admit that sometimes I get burnt out too, in spite of my addiction, but I keep returning because NIN really does make me feel like no other, to the point where I felt exactly the same way I did when I first heard any of his works. It really is still hard for me to explain. However, I'm also still sure that being able to listen to NIN through thick and thin is still an enormous factor in regards to all of that.

xolotl
07-13-2017, 10:25 PM
I feel the same way about NIN exactly the way I first did when I first heard of NIN in 2002. Although, even by then, I missed out on so much.

Heh, I discovered NIN 'round 1995, just as the Outside tour with Bowie was basically already wrapped up. I still shake my fist at the missed opportunities! Was a long, long wait for The Fragile. :)

Halo Infinity
07-13-2017, 11:24 PM
@xolotl (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=226) - I was wondering about that as well. I often guessed it was best for those that were able to catch NIN at least no later than 1993. The longevity as well as the loyalty and passion of the fan-base still amazes me. Although, I'm sure it's been obviously so much easier to notice, thanks to the likes of ETS.

Part of wondering what Trent will come up with next is always a treat. There seems to have been unique experiences and memories attached to every single major release too. (Which is also why I also look forward to seeing how the releases are also received as they age too.)

Trent also got me used to waiting for his work too. I got so used to expecting nothing, that it hardly bothers me, although I still understand why it could create so much suspense and/or frustration, and not to mention confusion.

For me, as long as the previous release isn't older than 5 whole years, I should be very thankful. Should the previous release have aged 5 whole years, I also just interpret it as another day in the office/business as usual. Any more years than that, and well. Off to Guns N' Roses and Tool territory we go. :p

Jon
07-14-2017, 12:19 PM
Looking through old interviews (http://www.theninhotline.net/news/permalink/1069729309), I found this quote from an interview Trent did for Alternative Press in 2003. This was the Bleedthrough era:

"The record explores loss and possible discovery of self," says Trent Reznor about the follow-up to 1999's The Fragile, "along with alternate layers of reality and perception set inside a nightmare you can't seem to wake up from; with lots of feedback."

Seems conceptually relevant to the current EP cycle.

sweeterthan
07-14-2017, 12:19 PM
All I can think right now is zomg surprise show!!!

cashpiles (closed)
07-14-2017, 01:42 PM
There is not 1 NIN song from the past 12 years that I ever listen to. The Fragile is immature. TDS and With Teeth are the only albums that endure for me. That's where I am in the state of NIN.

Less Than is super generic NIN. This is my opinion. It's just absolutely generic.

NIN is no longer part of my musical ecosystem. To me it's that group that I listened to in high school. Trent's lyrics are atrocious. Absolutely atrocious. That's my opinion. Less Than merges atrocious generic lyrics with super generic NINian song structure and sound.

I don't know why NIN gets a pass with most music critics. Fancy production does not equal good songs. All Trent has is sound design talent now as far as I'm concerned. Hang up the gloves Trent. It's over. Create sounds for younger artists to use. Your formula is tired. Your age has limited your range. Your brain has lost its neuroplasticity. I feel embarassed listening to cheesy "superhero" themes shit out by Trent again and again since the year 2000. Deep, Less Than, all of Year Zero, Came Back Haunted...

Rant over. NIF. Nine Inch Fails.

sick among the pure
07-14-2017, 01:47 PM
NIN is no longer part of my musical ecosystem.

https://i.makeagif.com/media/7-24-2016/HJgsN1.gif

Kulerage
07-14-2017, 02:14 PM
. I feel embarassed listening to cheesy "superhero" themes shit out by Trent again and again since the year 2000. Deep, Less Than, all of Year Zero, Came Back Haunted...

"cheesy super hero themes ... Came Back Haunted"

What?

Kyle
07-14-2017, 02:24 PM
We mentioned Bill elsewhere and he came back!

seriously though, super hero themes?

HWB
07-14-2017, 02:26 PM
There is not 1 NIN song from the past 12 years that I ever listen to. The Fragile is immature. TDS and With Teeth are the only albums that endure for me. That's where I am in the state of NIN.

Less Than is super generic NIN. This is my opinion. It's just absolutely generic.

NIN is no longer part of my musical ecosystem. To me it's that group that I listened to in high school. Trent's lyrics are atrocious. Absolutely atrocious. That's my opinion. Less Than merges atrocious generic lyrics with super generic NINian song structure and sound.

I don't know why NIN gets a pass with most music critics. Fancy production does not equal good songs. All Trent has is sound design talent now as far as I'm concerned. Hang up the gloves Trent. It's over. Create sounds for younger artists to use. Your formula is tired. Your age has limited your range. Your brain has lost its neuroplasticity. I feel embarassed listening to cheesy "superhero" themes shit out by Trent again and again since the year 2000. Deep, Less Than, all of Year Zero, Came Back Haunted...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vrVFb9jcPE

Dunno what else to add tbh
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vrVFb9jcPE)

neorev
07-14-2017, 02:37 PM
Personally the whole post-With Teeth / pre-Not The Actual Events period hasn't been my favorite NIN time either. There's a great album hidden in there somewhere with the right choice of tracks. But I haven't been moved emotionally like before. I got that feeling again with Not The Actual Events. As for the new single, I am currently on the fence. It hasn't grabbed me like the first EP. I kinda wish we didn't have a single/video before the actual EP. I would have rather heard it new on the spot in the context of the EP. I have to admit my excitement for the next EP has deminished slightly with Less Than. But I still hold out hope.

HWB
07-14-2017, 02:44 PM
Personally the whole post-With Teeth / pre-Not The Actual Events period hasn't been my favorite NIN time either. There's a great album hidden in there somewhere with the right choice of tracks. But I haven't been moved emotionally like before. I got that feeling again with Not The Actual Events. As for the new single, I am currently on the fence. It hasn't grabbed me like the first EP. I kinda wish we didn't have a single/video before the actual EP. I would have rather heard it new on the spot in the context of the EP. I have to admit my excitement for the next EP has deminished slightly with Less Than. But I still hold out hope.

Not The Actual Events really felt like a second coming to me, I absolutely loved parts of With_Teeth, especially the three last songs, parts of Year Zero moved me deeply and Hesitation Marks moved me to various forms of emotions. It felt like a roller coster.

But NTAE was something else, it felt like listening to TDS for the first time again.

neorev
07-14-2017, 03:03 PM
Not The Actual Events really felt like a second coming to me, I absolutely loved parts of With_Teeth, especially the three last songs, parts of Year Zero moved me deeply and Hesitation Marks moved me to various forms of emotions. It felt like a roller coster.

But NTAE was something else, it felt like listening to TDS for the first time again.

Yeah NTAE was definitely something else. I remember when I first put on With Teeth. All The Love In The World began and it literally brought a smile to my face because I was just so excited by what I was hearing. NTAE did the same, like "This is the Trent I missed." I could really feel the emotion through the music. For me, I just could not get into Year Zero. I did like My Violent Heart. As for Hesitation Marks... Satellite and In Two, but that was it. Pretty much how it was for me with post-With Teeth releases. I'd like a track or two here and there. The production just didn't translate the emotion over to me. It just felt cold and empty.

Toadflax
07-14-2017, 03:25 PM
"This is the Trent I missed."

Same here. I described NTAE as not necessarily my favorite NIN release since 1999 but the one I've been waiting for since then.

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
07-14-2017, 03:31 PM
“quit fucking around”

All 4 episodes of The Defiant Ones are great! I marathoned through it all last night/this morning. Super interesting stories, great editing, great music/scoring. TR is primarily in episode 3 and I really appreciated the NIN/MM music placed over the Dre/current rap scene story and the Dre/Eminem music over the NIN/MM story. It fit really well. And yes, Gottleib is still very much punchable. TR’s comments on him are classic.

It was great but would have been nice with more NIN stuff considering how integral they were to Interscopes success in the 90s....the special seemed to veer off into the NWA story a little too much in the 1st couple episodes.

thevoid99
07-14-2017, 06:27 PM
Nice to see Gottleib is still so punchable.

Man, I love to kick that guy in the nuts and take all of his money. What a bitch.

Bachy
07-14-2017, 08:08 PM
I have a very strong feeling that Trent will be bringing back "Happiness in Slavery" to the setlist this year in some form or another.

BrokenSpiral
07-14-2017, 08:18 PM
I'm not sure why you would think that. But I would love that old school chaotic HiS performance.

Prettybrokenspiral
07-14-2017, 10:39 PM
Fuckin lolz at that Cashpiles post

Nine Inch Fails

I'm dead..

ekrekel
07-14-2017, 11:03 PM
NIN is no longer part of my musical ecosystem....

https://i.imgflip.com/wr3dg.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/wr3dg)

_T_B_W_
07-15-2017, 12:02 AM

https://youtu.be/TUq8dSOqWkw

sonic_discord
07-15-2017, 01:43 AM
Looking through old interviews (http://www.theninhotline.net/news/permalink/1069729309), I found this quote from an interview Trent did for Alternative Press in 2003. This was the Bleedthrough era:

Seems conceptually relevant to the current EP cycle.

Maybe we've been asleep this WHOLE TIME!! (dun dun duuuuunnn) And that's why he said "everyone seems to be asleep." We've been unknowingly living the longest ARG of all time.

r_z
07-15-2017, 05:31 AM
I think the lack of 'serious' responses to cashpiles' posting kinda proofs its points. But, I believe, it also proofs the power of fandom/the love for something: it's not about searching for flaws or taking a rational look at the subject, but acknowledging the parts that make it special for you, which in most cases is a totally irrational affair.

Thus, if it's dawning on you that something might actually not be that great, because the stuff you could forgive in an earlier time is really buggin' you now, I guess, that's a signal for yourself that you've moved on. In that case to other bands / music. And that's fine. And I think, that's what cashpiles was all about in his posting.

It's happened to me with NIN for the same reasons. I'm still checking for new music though, because for a time in my life this band has been a thrilling part of my life. TR also introduced me to a lot of great bands and music I otherwise would have never / not yet explored. So I'm thankful, but I've moved on.

Silent_Schema
07-15-2017, 07:22 AM
There is not 1 NIN song from the past 12 years...

I think the lack of 'serious' responses to cashpiles' posting kinda proofs its points...

I think the lack of "serious" responses to cashpiles has more to do with the tone of his post, especially the last part, which to me feels quite arrogant.

I agree with some of his thoughts, I find Less Than lacking in many ways too, but to be honest I'm not surprised. NTAE hit me right in the sweet spot, the whole experience was perfect to me, visually and sonically. I loved the fact that there was basically no pop influence in there, since I had enought of that with HM. I love experimental music more than anything, and to me sound design is possibly the best part about music, and as we know TR & AR are masters of sound manipulation (there are many others, don't get me wrong). But we shouldn't forget that NIN is at its core "pop". So in my opinion, being disappointed with Less Than is a classic "high expectations not reached" case, more than anything else.

Also, I think we should consider that TR probably wanted to make a catchy song, simply because he likes making them, and he was driven to make one (ore more, we'll see). Being a creator myself, I can say that it's a common desire to make the next thing you do as far as possible from the last thing you've done, especially when you are a perfectionist (as we all now TR&AR are), since you get sick of your own project by the time you're done with it. This is in fact pretty far from NTAE.

Lastly, I think we should reserve our judgement up until we've heard the whole EP, since a track that is almost 12 minutes long, and described as "self-disintegrating", doesn't sound poppy at all to me, in the best way! ;)

Edit: Worthy of note: the production on this track is not very conventional, especially on guitars, they are definitely louder than they "should" be (and kinda off in a good way), and I like this experimental edge.

slave2thewage
07-15-2017, 10:20 AM
Genuinely starting to think She's Gone Away was written for Twin Peaks and then they decided to use it on NTAE.

Dr Channard
07-15-2017, 10:37 AM
Looking at some of the less than positive feedback on Less Than, it got me wondering, what if Less Than is purposefully thematically developed as Trent addressing the ever disenchanted fans and reviewers. The title pointing to inequality of values, one value not being greater than or equal to the other. Could this be a discussion playing out between Trent and people who feel like nothing post-90s he has done will ever be greater than or equal to the classics of TDS or even TF?

Some lines,

“Shut up, silence,” Trent possibly voicing the negative reaction of people who don’t want quiet or happy nin (Hesitation Marks?), and they don’t want film scores and soundscapes. As well in the chorus the line comes, “Go and look what you gone done, Welcome Oblivion.” Maybe Trent again playing the voice of people dissatisfied with the HTDA project.

“Add a little violence, and offend and pretend and defend and demand my compliance.” Perhaps the cry of those who want the old machine back, the industrial roar and violence. They demand back that guy who made Broken, TDS, or TF, even if it were only “pretend” or an act for him at this point around 20 years later.

His response to these demanding voices could be the chorus, “So what are you waiting for? You got what you asked for. Did it fix what was wrong with you? Are you less than?” Maybe he’s pointing their attention to the recent NTAE EP, which was originally described as unfriendly and fairly impenetrable - a throwback to old nin, and asking them, “Was this fix good enough? Or am I still falling short of expectations? I just gave what you asked for, now what do you want?”

Perhaps after acknowledging the dead end of this path comes the realization, “Needful too many fucking people. You'll have to take care of yourselves, you know I've got my hands full.” Maybe meaning the realization that some just won’t be satisfied, but Trent seems at peace admitting that satisfying everyone can’t be his priority.

I could be way out in leftfield on this. :confused:

Edit: This is not intended to discredit or invalidate any personal opinions of the track either positive or negative. It just struck me as an amusing possibility for the track narrative.

neorev
07-15-2017, 10:49 AM
I just gave what you asked for, now what do you want?”

More of the unfriendly and impenetrable, please. :)

07-15-2017, 12:00 PM

If you are trying to be the new Bill Pulsipher, you need to call the backup singers from tension, "gospel singers" than your transformation will be complete

ekrekel
07-15-2017, 01:45 PM
I think the lack of "serious" responses to cashpiles has more to do with the tone of his post, especially the last part, which to me feels quite arrogant

I just can't handle anything that doesn't support my confirmation bias.

Halo Infinity
07-15-2017, 03:45 PM
I have a very strong feeling that Trent will be bringing back "Happiness in Slavery" to the setlist this year in some form or another.

I'm not sure why you would think that. But I would love that old school chaotic HiS performance.
My guess would be probably from the title Add Violence itself. Although, as violent as the Broken movie was, there has been violence in other NIN songs/albums/videos. I also know not to count on it, but I'd absolutely love it as well.

Fuckin lolz at that Cashpiles post

Nine Inch Fails

I'm dead..

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wCzCY93mKq0/TMpYUekj8-I/AAAAAAAACA0/p8Qg_eaOdZc/s1600/nineinchfailsur6.jpg

Trento
07-15-2017, 06:09 PM
Lately, I begin to think that Hesitation Marks is a conceptual album about cancer, even knowing that Reznor relates it to TDS.

Prettybrokenspiral
07-15-2017, 06:42 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wCzCY93mKq0/TMpYUekj8-I/AAAAAAAACA0/p8Qg_eaOdZc/s1600/nineinchfailsur6.jpg

^^^^^

Leaked cover art for the spin-off EP Things Failing Apart Trent is planning.

Tracklist:

1. The Frail
2. Happiness In Failing
3. I'm Looking Forward to Failing You, Finally
4. Fail Fuck
5. We Fail Away (feat. HTDA)

ETS-exclusive download only bonus track:

6. Leaving Hope (Cashpiles' Kiss Off remix)

GibbonBlack
07-15-2017, 06:58 PM
Lately, I begin to think that Hesitation Marks is a conceptual album about cancer, even knowing that Reznor relates it to TDS.

While I'm Still Here/Black Noise has always given me that vibe

HWB
07-15-2017, 07:52 PM

I assumed that the protagonist's attempted suicide from TDS eventually led to his life being much shorter and giving him just few moments to live.

Or maybe it was another suicide, hence the name of the album.

Trento
07-15-2017, 08:20 PM

Yes, and many others. Eater of Dreams sounds like an hospital device. Lyrics of Everything and In Two could talk openly about cancer. Special mention to anguished sounds like Find My Way and Various Methods of Escape.

If for Reznor the bad part in TDS was the double personality (the protagonist himself), in HM it could be the cancer (the protagonist himself too). Maybe he related both albums in that meaning. Obviously this is just speculation.

jessamineny
07-16-2017, 08:12 AM
It was great but would have been nice with more NIN stuff considering how integral they were to Interscopes success in the 90s....the special seemed to veer off into the NWA story a little too much in the 1st couple episodes.

It's not the story of Interscope.

"The Defiant Ones examines the partnership between Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre - one the son of a Brooklyn longshoreman, the other straight out of Compton - and their leading roles in a chain of transformative events in contemporary culture."

bobbie solo
07-16-2017, 12:10 PM
^^^^^

Leaked cover art for the spin-off EP Things Failing Apart Trent is planning.

Tracklist:

1. The Frail
2. Happiness In Failing
3. I'm Looking Forward to Failing You, Finally
4. Fail Fuck
5. We Fail Away (feat. HTDA)

ETS-exclusive download only bonus track:

6. Leaving Hope (Cashpiles' Kiss Off remix)

this is the correct/actually funny way to do one of these imo.

Microwave Jellyfish
07-17-2017, 04:59 AM
I watched the Twin Peaks performance so much the beginning of the album version (without the TNIN snippet) doesn't sound right anymore.

captainbeyond
07-17-2017, 06:12 AM

Funny you say that, I fully believe that sounds in The Eater of Dreams are directly influenced by the sound of a MRI/CT scan machine and have thought that since 2014.

captainbeyond
07-17-2017, 06:15 AM
Yes, and many others. Eater of Dreams sounds like an hospital device.

Totally didn't see your post before I replied.^

HWB
07-17-2017, 07:09 AM
Today I was listening to All Time Low, thinking I caught everything.

Then I heard thing I haven't before, after (and during) "HEY EVERYTHING IS NOT OKAY!" you can hear, I think in the right channel singing the same lyrics monotonely, in the background muffled.

Cool creepy detail. Just when you think you caught everything.

ninjaw
07-17-2017, 08:01 AM
Here's a recently uploaded video of Trent talking about a few of his favourite songs and music videos as the guest programmer of Rage, an Australian music video show, back in 2000. Pretty intriguing to hear his thoughts on the music that's influenced him.

Pretty sure it's from ITW essentials... along with the french one tht i restranscripted here (http://ninfrance.free.fr/itwfr/itw2000/MCMspecial2000/MCMCarteBlanche.html).

piggy
07-17-2017, 10:49 PM
Yup, I noticed that probably last year. Hadn't heard it for the first couple of years that I owned the album. I always love finding stuff like that.

tony.parente
07-18-2017, 02:22 PM
I I think it would be pretty dope if Trent incorporated VR in this cycle somewhere. I wish he would just shove a 360 camera on the rail of tomorrow's show and then just release it.

streetman
07-19-2017, 03:05 PM
Tweet from BBC6music about listening tomorrow to be the first to hear a brand new track - but do they mean another one or this is the place? I don't want to hear most of the EP before Friday either
https://twitter.com/bbc6music/status/887735313807880193

Nice. So that will be around 4 am our time! Can't wait.

butter_hole
07-19-2017, 07:06 PM
Pretty sure it's from ITW essentials... along with the french one tht i restranscripted here (http://ninfrance.free.fr/itwfr/itw2000/MCMspecial2000/MCMCarteBlanche.html).
This is a completely different show

implanted_microchip
07-20-2017, 08:51 AM
How on earth have people managed to avoid show spoilers for months during tours? I've never tried to go blind before and now less than a day has gone by and I'm already antsy.

sweeterthan
07-20-2017, 09:01 AM
How on earth have people managed to avoid show spoilers for months during tours? I've never tried to go blind before and now less than a day has gone by and I'm already antsy.

Yeah I can't avoid it. I woke up at 5am for some reason, grabbed my phone and checked the setlist.

mostlymad
07-20-2017, 09:31 AM

In 2009, I sort of took a break from all online stuff. That's the only way I managed it.

_T_B_W_
07-20-2017, 03:22 PM
Fuck now that The Background World is abbreviated TBW I can't help but think people are referencing me.

(Or that maybe I really am part of the ARG, and I've become self aware)
Edit: To make it more weirdly awesome, the 24 Bit WAV download folder for Add Violence was modified/created on my birthday.

xolotl
07-20-2017, 03:28 PM
Fuck now that The Background World is abbreviated TBW I can't help but think people are referencing me.

Fess up now: you were TR's inspiration for the song, yes?

_T_B_W_
07-20-2017, 03:30 PM
Fess up now: you were TR's inspiration for the song, yes?

Not true

xolotl
07-20-2017, 03:55 PM
The Presence!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1515+Broadway,+New+York,+NY+10036/@40.7577317,-73.9867889,3a,75y,293.27h,91.78t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1s-rODOum_IPfk%2FWEMPjQivO1I%2FAAAAAAAADjU%2FQbaL0D7J bUAYb-aUMZJDzDjdJihNsKb_wCLIB!2e4!3e11!6s%2F%2Flh6.googl eusercontent.com%2F-rODOum_IPfk%2FWEMPjQivO1I%2FAAAAAAAADjU%2FQbaL0D7J bUAYb-aUMZJDzDjdJihNsKb_wCLIB%2Fw203-h100-k-no-pi0-ya269.96085-ro-0-fo100%2F!7i8704!8i4352!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c25854fd7a021 1:0xb9ec1ff076c1ca30!8m2!3d40.7578505!4d-73.9866898?hl=en

gorast
07-20-2017, 05:12 PM

When I went to see Tension in 2013 I had to abandon ETS for a full month. It sucked, but it worked, since I had no idea what the set was going to be when I went to the show.

implanted_microchip
07-20-2017, 08:09 PM
When I went to see Tension in 2013 I had to abandon ETS for a full month. It sucked, but it worked, since I had no idea what the set was going to be when I went to the show.
A thread being posted in this section that should have never been posted in this section and friends getting tagged in facebook posts have already spoiled 3 songs for me even though one is a given. Still doing my best to hold off though.

Frozen Beach
07-21-2017, 12:11 AM
She's Gone Away slowed down to half speed is creepy as fuck

Amaro
07-21-2017, 01:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIYwFbovl6Y

Solid.

dlb
07-21-2017, 08:19 AM
Haven't been this happy to be a NIN fan than right now. The EP is fantastic and what I have seen from the show so far was awesome as well. I'm really pumped again for whatever Trent and Co. got up their sleeves. Exciting times!

sweeterthan
07-21-2017, 12:07 PM
This is really random https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170721/f6f43df18d18f7dac1560c9061d1e284.jpg

xolotl
07-21-2017, 12:17 PM
So I've long been semi-embarrassed by how much NIN outstrips my second-most-listened to artist, on my music-listening-tracker thing (since 2005), but it'd been awhile since I'd looked at my global most-listened-to-albums list. Good lord, it's even worse!

1. Nine Inch Nails / Hesitation Marks
2. Nine Inch Nails / Year Zero
3. Nine Inch Nails / The Slip
4. Various / The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
5. Nine Inch Nails / Ghosts I-IV
6. Burial / Untrue
7. Nine Inch Nails / With Teeth
8. Various / Pneuma
9. Hecq / steeltongued (disc 1)
10. Burial / Burial
11. ohGr / Devils In My Details
12. The Dresden Dolls / Yes, Virginia
13. Firewater / The Golden Hour
14. How to destroy angels / Welcome oblivion (vinyl edition)
15. TV on the Radio / Dear Science

Glad it wasn't literally all NIN or NIN-related...

Amaro
07-21-2017, 12:48 PM
I hate ARG and the whole YZ theme. But I do enjoy 3 of the new songs.

07-21-2017, 01:07 PM
Rolling Stones review compared HTDA to Tin Machine.....which was directed as a diss....curious to pitchforks review altho they are currently lapping up tyler the creator

Scribbler
07-21-2017, 01:41 PM
I really dig this EP. Gives the right post-apocalyptic vibe.. Especially Lovers and The Background World.

ryanmcfly
07-21-2017, 02:10 PM
Pro shot video of the first two songs from Bakersfield on their Facebook.

WorzelG
07-21-2017, 02:40 PM
AV got a review in, heh, the AV Club today: http://www.avclub.com/live/nine-inch-nails-foster-people-and-more-weeks-music-258271/entry/1660

Not super complimentary, but whatever. Reviewer liked Less Than but thought it went generally downhill from there. Some people, eh?
I've always found articles on NIN on that site to be well informed and generally complimentary without being too fanboy and there's a lot of good stuff in the comments. Unlike pitchfork where you get a crappy biased review with no right to reply

ninjaw
07-21-2017, 03:35 PM
And Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG6BLXrWZ1E

..and twitter but still not on vimeo, the only place where they paid to offer high quality download :/

Prettybrokenspiral
07-21-2017, 03:50 PM
I don't know what's better about that pro shot clip above:

Trent's tattered black shirt, his protein shake break @3:46, or that head-tuck pit sniff thing he does, like he's concerned about b.o..

eversonpoe
07-21-2017, 03:51 PM
I don't know what's better about that pro shot clip above:

Trent's tattered black shirt, his protein shake break @3:46, or that head-tuck armpit sniff thing he does, like he's concerned about b.o..

i think that's actually a forehead sweat wipe

Kyle
07-21-2017, 03:58 PM
I'm probably crazy and it's probably just me but does anyone else think he looks like David Duchovney at certain points in that video?

scotty79
07-21-2017, 03:59 PM
i liked the way he came out from the back and was eyeballing everyone making sure they weren't fucking up anything

TheBang
07-21-2017, 10:35 PM
..and twitter but still not on vimeo, the only place where they paid to offer high quality download :/
I think they've completely forgotten about Vimeo. Like the rest of the Internet.

sonic_discord
07-22-2017, 12:15 AM
Random question: Does anyone know why Trent had to create The Null Corporation II? I've been curious for a while as to why he couldn't continue using the first Null Corp...

butter_hole
07-22-2017, 12:43 AM
Random question: Does anyone know why Trent had to create The Null Corporation II? I've been curious for a while as to why he couldn't continue using the first Null Corp...
Rob had the passwords for all the accounts for Null 1

Wolfkiller
07-22-2017, 01:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIYwFbovl6Y

Solid.

I wanna see and hear the 15+ alternate takes for March Of The Pigs now ��

ninjaw
07-22-2017, 02:54 AM
I think they've completely forgotten about Vimeo. Like the rest of the Internet.

ah ! remember when it was the purpose of buying this ?

sheepdean
07-22-2017, 04:30 AM
Just noticed that they added Add Violence to the discography page on nin.com and edited NTAE's description to mention that it's the beginning of the trilogy. Also noticed a typo on With Teeth's tracklisting: "ALL THE LIVE IN THE WORLD"
Typo? Or ... ARG?

captainbeyond
07-22-2017, 04:59 AM
I feel like "Head Down" would fit perfectly alongside these new songs in the live set. I was actually thinking this before AV was released and the Bakersfield show (which did not include any tracks from The Slip). It seems like it could be on one of these EPs and fit perfectly. Very underrated track and when I saw it live on the LITS tour, it blew my mind.

sheepdean
07-22-2017, 05:34 AM
I feel like "Head Down" would fit perfectly alongside these new songs in the live set. I was actually thinking this before AV was released and the Bakersfield show (which did not include any tracks from The Slip). It seems like it could be on one of these EPs and fit perfectly. Very underrated track and when I saw it live on the LITS tour, it blew my mind.
I'm sure I've mentioned this before (and if not, remind me OSLIN ), but I consider The Slip a concept album following the energy of a typical NIN live show, so basically every song on it could fit in. But sadly I think the band feels the need to play the "classics" and the hits more often - every song from the first three albums has been played live at some point but we still don't have WT, YZ, TS or HM played in full. New EPs hopefully will get put out entirely during this tour, and if The Lovers doesn't get played I will FUCKING RIOT.

mauro995
07-22-2017, 05:54 AM
I'm sure I've mentioned this before (and if not, remind me @OSLIN (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1033) ), but I consider The Slip a concept album following the energy of a typical NIN live show, so basically every song on it could fit in. But sadly I think the band feels the need to play the "classics" and the hits more often - every song from the first three albums has been played live at some point but we still don't have WT, YZ, TS or HM played in full. New EPs hopefully will get put out entirely during this tour, and if The Lovers doesn't get played I will FUCKING RIOT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rklc3Te1gE

Shadaloo
07-22-2017, 07:07 PM
1991-08-01 should totally be called "Nine songs about fucking" if one had to title the day's concert.

captainbeyond
07-22-2017, 08:36 PM
[video=youtube;73sSjz7B4yw]
As long as he's not yelling "Hey!" six times a song..

The ultimate peak of this was when he started doing the "HEY HEY HEY HEY" chants with the clapping during parts of "The Hand That Feeds" during the Tension tour. I think he did something like this in Came Back Haunted as well. Also I think its fucking hilarious when he throws a "Hey!" in a song and gets it captured in his hand-activated echo/loop.

Detunez
07-24-2017, 10:40 AM
I hope the Back Cover was an ARG, otherwise i feel royaly boned by NIN :
REMEMBER WHEN RECORDS HAD BACK COVERS? NO? MAYBE THIS ONE IS IMPORTANT.

GibbonBlack
07-24-2017, 11:31 AM
I hope the Back Cover was an ARG, otherwise i feel royaly boned by NIN :
REMEMBER WHEN RECORDS HAD BACK COVERS? NO? MAYBE THIS ONE IS IMPORTANT.

"Maybe"

Ripe(withdecay)
07-24-2017, 12:28 PM
I don't know if this belong in the Random NIN Questions or here, but I really want to make a complete playlist of The Fragile with the instrumental and main tracks. What are some ideas or what not to make that happen?

Kulerage
07-24-2017, 04:12 PM
I don't know if this belong in the Random NIN Questions or here, but I really want to make a complete playlist of The Fragile with the instrumental and main tracks. What are some ideas or what not to make that happen?
Do you mean that you use the normal tracks and their instrumental variants in the same one?

Ripe(withdecay)
07-24-2017, 04:14 PM
Do you mean that you use the normal tracks and their instrumental variants in the same one?

Exactly! I probably should've worded it a little better but you got my idea.

Kulerage
07-24-2017, 07:20 PM
Exactly! I probably should've worded it a little better but you got my idea.
Well, what I can say for sure you don't want to do is put the same song next to it's instrumental self. And maybe do a bit of chopping for the instrumental versions so that they are transition tracks. All in all it's your choice.

Papagolash
07-24-2017, 10:05 PM
So anyone else like to play NIN, and dance around while holding your cat?

sweeterthan
07-24-2017, 10:15 PM
So anyone else like to play NIN, and dance around while holding your cat?

My cats don't want to be held but they do watch me dance and sing to nin (and other things). From what I can tell, they're not impressed.

cashpiles (closed)
07-24-2017, 11:05 PM
Trentticus Rossner

eversonpoe
07-25-2017, 09:47 AM
My cats don't want to be held but they do watch me dance and sing to nin (and other things). From what I can tell, they're not impressed.

our cats HATE IT when we dance. like, they look at us like embarrassed children and then run away. doesn't matter what the music is.

sweeterthan
07-25-2017, 01:52 PM
“Like, now I fit in someplace: my house.” -Trent Reznor in that village voice interview. ❤️so funny and good.

virushopper
07-25-2017, 05:31 PM
Just realized Robin is using Manson Guitars as oppose the usual Les Pauls.

muse-lyre candy
07-25-2017, 07:50 PM
random:
if anyone is interested in heading a 'meet-up' in New Orleans
I would DEF use that NIN-excuse to justify a visit..
and blasphemy, there doesn't even have to be NIN playing-gasps*
say is there still that monster music thing in October?
(many yrs ago before voodoo festival-wasn't there a 'scary monsters' small nola underground thing circa late 90's?)
:rolleyes:

I haven't been back in nola since 2002
now every time i read or hear nola my insides get all knotted up like it's a visit passed due

-also anyone know to where i may send a poster to be signed (by NIN) for my son's 16th bday present? recording studio? record label? next event addy?

Halo Infinity
07-25-2017, 08:44 PM
“Like, now I fit in someplace: my house.” -Trent Reznor in that village voice interview. ❤️so funny and good.

Oh, if only he also included "Right where I belong." :)

That really was the first thing that came to mind. And well, all the best to Trent yet again. :)

captainbeyond
07-26-2017, 12:34 AM
random:
if anyone is interested in heading a 'meet-up' in New Orleans
I would DEF use that NIN-excuse to justify a visit..
and blasphemy, there doesn't even have to be NIN playing-gasps*
say is there still that monster music thing in October?
(many yrs ago before voodoo festival-wasn't there a 'scary monsters' small nola underground thing circa late 90's?)

I haven't been back in nola since 2002
now every time i read or hear nola my insides get all knotted up like it's a visit passed due

-also anyone know to where i may send a poster to be signed (by NIN) for my son's 16th bday present? recording studio? record label? next event addy?

Just out of curiosity, what would be the purpose of this other than checking out the former Nothing Studios location and his old house?

muse-lyre candy
07-26-2017, 01:07 AM
Just out of curiosity, what would be the purpose of this other than checking out the former Nothing Studios location and his old house?
you just made me laugh for real, ty
:)
i've been to nola many times during my life...
there's something electric in the air that keeps me going back.
-a part of me died and was reborn the first time i went to nola for a mardi gras-
does one really think that whatever was Nothing Studios is the only thing nola has going for it?
pish posh apple sauce

it takes losing your mind sometimes (controlled chaos) to be able to keep sane most of the time....
its been my experience that 'SPIRAL' meets ups were always pretty fun. i thought it might be fun to give an ETS one a try..

WorzelG
07-26-2017, 03:00 AM

I was very happy to read Trent rejecting corporate life at Apple. Why would he hide his Oscar though?

captainbeyond
07-26-2017, 06:53 AM
you just made me laugh for real, ty
:)
i've been to nola many times during my life...
there's something electric in the air that keeps me going back.
-a part of me died and was reborn the first time i went to nola for a mardi gras-
does one really think that whatever was Nothing Studios is the only thing nola has going for it?
pish posh apple sauce

it takes losing your mind sometimes (controlled chaos) to be able to keep sane most of the time....
its been my experience that 'SPIRAL' meets were always pretty fun. i thought it might be fun to give an ETS one a try..

I assumed you meant "meet up" in more of strictly NIN related way. I get what you're saying.

I go to NOLA at least once or twice a month, so I definitely know of its infinite opportunities. Not a big fan of Mardi Gras though.

muse-lyre candy
07-26-2017, 12:44 PM
I assumed you meant "meet up" in more of strictly NIN related way. I get what you're saying.

I go to NOLA at least once or twice a month, so I definitely know of its infinite opportunities. Not a big fan of Mardi Gras though.
mardi gras has been about the only time i can get away with traveling 'solo' down there and lose ppl i find creepy.
too many ppl, too much madness, try to follow someone in that crowd.
added bonus -everyone gets to experience, wait for it....
All The Love in the World-

i had some friends down there i used to stay with and in turn they'd come visit and stay with me. we all lost track of one another after the hurricane n flood.
:(

blassster
07-26-2017, 01:19 PM
I still want full-album multitracks to return, but I think he's over it :(

baudolino
07-26-2017, 01:47 PM
Has TBW become my favorite NIN song? :confused:

thefragile_jake
07-26-2017, 03:04 PM
Revisiting And All That Could Have Been today and how "Hurt" ends on that live album with this ... almost quick and sonic eruption sound always used to make me feel really sad. I think cause at the time, we really had no idea when the next Nine Inch Nails record was ever going to be released and when I got into them in like 2000, I felt like I had missed something.

Leaving Hope on Still gave me the same feeling.

botley
07-26-2017, 05:30 PM
Coke Zero = old and busted (http://www.gq.com/story/rip-coke-zero)

LaCroi(the X is silent) = new hotness

07-26-2017, 06:08 PM
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7874209/steve-gottlieb-nine-inch-nails-interscope-defiant-ones

Steve Gottlieb speaks...and as usual its about how innocent he was and how Trent is a liar

gorast
07-26-2017, 07:00 PM
This Vulture (http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/trent-reznor-nine-inch-nails.html?utm_campaign=vulture&utm_source=tw&utm_medium=s1) interview is fascinating to me. I've never seen an interviewer be so openly combative with Trent. Some of their questions I like, some I don't (that first one in particular feels way off-base). It just creates a weird vibe to read.

thevoid99
07-26-2017, 08:48 PM
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7874209/steve-gottlieb-nine-inch-nails-interscope-defiant-ones

Steve Gottlieb speaks...and as usual its about how innocent he was and how Trent is a liar

That man's a fucking ass-clown. We all know he's full of it. I remember at a screening for DiG! where I met Ondi Timoner and we chatted a bit and she said that Gottlieb is a evil and I agreed with her as she kind of knew about what he did to Trent as he fucked over the Brian Jonestown Massacre in their brief time with TVT.

fillow
07-27-2017, 02:53 AM
This Vulture (http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/trent-reznor-nine-inch-nails.html?utm_campaign=vulture&utm_source=tw&utm_medium=s1) interview is fascinating to me. I've never seen an interviewer be so openly combative with Trent. Some of their questions I like, some I don't (that first one in particular feels way off-base). It just creates a weird vibe to read.
It does create a nice contrast with some other pieces where the author is *ZOMG I'm such a big fan* *commence asskissing*

imail724
07-27-2017, 08:01 AM
Every now and then I feel compelled to revisit the funniest moment in NIN history. Sharing it here for those who forgot or completely missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2zywRgdgus

thevoid99
07-27-2017, 07:56 PM
I love that moment. Sometimes, I think of Trent as Cartman and Josh Freese as Butters whenever I see that clip.

Halo Infinity
07-27-2017, 09:58 PM
I suppose I just need and want more time for Not The Actual Events and Add Violence to sink in. There is absolutely no question in my mind that I've enjoyed what I listened to so far. Less Than, The Background World and The Lovers are easily my latest favorite NIN songs.

I also loved hearing Burning Bright (Field on Fire) live. It's very hard to put it into words, but it was very moving to the point of tears. Even my reactions to the live versions can become very different from the studio versions. NIN just reminded me about that yet again.

Amaro
07-27-2017, 10:26 PM
Every now and then I feel compelled to revisit the funniest moment in NIN history. Sharing it here for those who forgot or completely missed it:

The Real World: NIN

botley
07-27-2017, 10:26 PM

Josh Freese is the fucking man ahhahahahaha

sonic_discord
07-27-2017, 10:58 PM

Funny, I felt EXACTLY the same way and yeah, it was weird to see an interviewer question Trent, correct him, call him out on not answering a question or two, etc. instead of kissing his ass the whole time.

r_z
07-28-2017, 04:42 AM
More interviews should be that way, tbh. I thought it was a great read.

Vertigo
07-28-2017, 07:09 AM
One of the best interviews I've read in years. Several big laugh-out-loud moments, and pulled out a great, informative dialogue.

I don't think Trent really needs to worry about staying mysterious, the insights you get from interviews like this only add another layer to the music.

theimage13
07-28-2017, 07:38 AM
I literally just now realized that if I hadn't taken on my current tour, I'd be working Panorama this weekend instead. Sunuvabitch.

icklekitty
07-28-2017, 08:01 AM
And-I-Can't-Seem-To Wake-Up
(Not Anymore)
(Not Anymore)
(Not Anymore)

WOMP. WOMP WOM-WOMP

#earworm

opal
07-28-2017, 08:49 AM

Interesting re-visiting this video. I was at this show and I remember it being a great show. Mostly for the reason that TR was pissed.

He seemed to give it all to make it up for the audience. Even went as far as hanging into the audience first row during Piggy (I touched his hand, OMGZ FANBOY moment!!).

07-28-2017, 12:12 PM
holy fuck does NIN stick out like a sore thumb on the Panorama festival bill...Its like hipster central....Crowd might be very shitty..which in turn means TR may be in a bad mood..which in turn means it may be a good show..Hopefully he just plays a more varied set to piss the crowd off even more

joplinpicasso
07-28-2017, 12:24 PM
holy fuck does NIN stick out like a sore thumb on the Panorama festival bill...Its like hipster central....Crowd might be very shitty..which in turn means TR may be in a bad mood..which in turn means it may be a good show..Hopefully he just plays a more varied set to piss the crowd off even more

Perhaps, but it just seems like Sunday is the Old Guard Night, with Tribe Called Quest headlining as well. Maybe I'll bump into Trent catching Justice's set.

muse-lyre candy
07-28-2017, 01:18 PM
hmmm sounds like a recipe for a heavier angst in the music to create a call for action in intensified pit response..?

muse-lyre candy
07-28-2017, 02:04 PM
random NIN Spiral thought(s)
i have unfinished business with a handful of spiralers and have no idea if i will ever have the opportunity to make good on things.
I have a fan made poster by Misteakeablyme that i was to deliver to a show and hand off. i still have the poster and will make good on this the next show i attend.
I have a special MWM poster for someone who was sick the night of a show. i need an address to send it to.
and I owe someone a Ruse CD that they sent payment for (i've had the CD all this time in an manilla envelope without an address to send it to)
...and i think that's about it. my conscience is now clear.

sick among the pure
07-28-2017, 02:37 PM
The video on the last page just serves to remind me how much I miss Josh being on tour with them.

thefragile_jake
07-28-2017, 03:43 PM
holy fuck does NIN stick out like a sore thumb on the Panorama festival bill...Its like hipster central....

To each their own ... lineup looks solid to me.

sheepdean
07-28-2017, 04:38 PM
Tront Rezner sold his house

http://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/hot-property/la-fi-hotprop-trent-renzor-house-sold-20170726-story.html
Man I hate this overpriced, limited edition NIN merch

_T_B_W_
07-28-2017, 04:46 PM

Fucking hell, you mean THIS was that limited edition item in the FYF merch?

blassster
07-28-2017, 05:55 PM
Man I hate this overpriced, limited edition NIN merchThe new owners can only move in after Sandbag comes by to smash the corners... with sandbags.

TheBang
07-28-2017, 06:02 PM
Tyler Curtis did live photography at Bakersfield and FYF, and I believe he's shooting Panorama too. He's also done some promotional shots, I think, and also shot Lollapalooza during the last album cycle.

This image showed up on his Instagram today:

BXGhna3gjEc

Interesting caption:

Insert Band Name in Comments. (Lighting test for upcoming ad campaign)
#soberissexy #brothers #goth #yearzero #fucktrump #workout

So, presumably those guys are stand-ins for what would be Trent and Atticus? What does NIN need an ad campaign for?

sweeterthan
07-28-2017, 06:04 PM
Tyler Curtis did live photography at Bakersfield and FYF, and I believe he's shooting Panorama too. He's also done some promotional shots, I think, and also shot Lollapalooza during the last album cycle.

BXGhna3gjEc

Interesting caption:

So, presumably those guys are stand-ins for what would be Trent and Atticus? What does NIN need an ad campaign for?

It's not showing up in Tapatalk? Do you have a direct link?

cashpiles (closed)
07-28-2017, 08:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFeDwNwEK7k

needle drop just did a review

I left a comment telling him he's fucked and that he should listen to the EP again.

cashpiles (closed)
07-28-2017, 08:32 PM

BXGhna3gjEc

Interesting caption:

Actually, this is Year Zero the tv series. These dudes do not represent Trent and Atticus.

nooneimportant
07-28-2017, 10:21 PM

http://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/hot-property/la-fi-hotprop-trent-renzor-house-sold-20170726-story.html

It's the physical component for Add Violence.

sonic_discord
07-28-2017, 11:29 PM

I laugh EVERY time someone spells his name like that. It may never get old for me.

jamesd553
07-28-2017, 11:34 PM
It's the physical component for Add Violence.

maybe he will sell his old stuff on EBAY like he did before

bobbie solo
07-29-2017, 12:32 AM
There are no fall touring plans. At least for 2017. Spring 2018 at the earliest. But yeah, I'm super psyched too!!

Did you read this somewhere? They're doing some shit festival somewhere and the final Vanna show, i know that much. So i assumed they were gonna tour for real, considering those shows aren't in Cali.

sonic_discord
07-29-2017, 12:37 AM
Did you read this somewhere? They're doing some shit festival somewhere and the final Vanna show, i know that much. So i assumed they were gonna tour for real, considering those shows aren't in Cali.

The man said it himself in an interview earlier this week. I'm seeing one of those festivals, but actual tour dates won't be until 2018.

streetman
07-29-2017, 12:42 AM

Trent confirmed there are no more shows this year; the 3 more festival dates will be it; this was confirmed on one of the two radio shows he did. He said the real tours and shows will begin next summer; he's going to do 30-40 shows a year starting next year. That's something to look forward to!

bobbie solo
07-29-2017, 12:48 AM
I'm talking about Eighteen Visions guys. My comments were in regards to their excellent MotP cover.

sonic_discord
07-29-2017, 01:07 AM
I'm talking about Eighteen Visions guys. My comments were in regards to their excellent MotP cover.

OH. My bad. I'll have to check out that cover then...

bobbie solo
07-29-2017, 01:29 AM
Snakehips & Cashmere Cat are bringing out the bro crowd Sunday too.

nooneimportant
07-29-2017, 06:51 AM
What the fuck?

http://www.nin.wiki/images/8/8f/2004_05_06Questions4.gif

Dimitri.
07-29-2017, 06:53 AM
1. Branches / Bones
2. Dear World,
3. Less Than
4. This Isn't the Place
5. Not Anymore
6. The Idea of You
7. The Lovers
8. She's Gone Away
9. Burning Bright (Field on Fire)
10. The Background World

In that order, it's probably my favorite NIN record since The Fragile.

mauro995
07-29-2017, 09:14 AM
I also made a playlist to listen to this new songs as if they were a full album. Mine goes like this. This EP series might be one of my favourites NIN releases ever.

1- Branches / Bones
2- Dear World,
3- Less Than
4- She's Gone Away
5- The Lovers
6- The Idea Of You
7- Burning Bright (Field On Fire)
8- This Isn't The Place
9- Not Anymore
10- The Background World

sheepdean
07-29-2017, 09:17 AM

The photographer's brand is Year Zero, coincidence https://www.instagram.com/yearzerophotography/

Lew
07-29-2017, 11:35 AM
What the fuck?

http://www.nin.wiki/images/8/8f/2004_05_06Questions4.gif

It is the formula for the third e.p.
That meathead was a clever fucker, eh?
:p

Kulerage
07-29-2017, 06:59 PM
he's going to do 30-40 shows a year starting next year. That's something to look forward to!
For how many years, though, because holy shit!

Kulerage
07-29-2017, 07:03 PM
It is the formula for the third e.p.
That meathead was a clever fucker, eh?
:p
Getting behind the EP since way before it was even a thing.

Halo Infinity
07-29-2017, 09:15 PM
I hope I'm not alone on this, but I actually got some Depeche Mode vibes from The Lovers, and some Killing Joke vibes from Not Anymore.

I also don't know why I didn't get to this a lot sooner, but the visuals used in the Burning Bright (Field on Fire) video also remind me of the ending of Closure with The Art of Self Destruction, Part 1.

Prettybrokenspiral
07-30-2017, 01:43 AM
https://ninblogs.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/img_0779-756637-756881.jpg

streetman
07-30-2017, 01:54 AM
For how many years, though, because holy shit!

I guess indefinitely. Trent in the interview(s) said he doesn't want to tour for 2 years at a time then disappear for years. Instead, he wants to tour consistently every year with a small number of shows (30-40 a year was his estimation). That way he can balance personal family life and still remain active every year touring.

blassster
07-30-2017, 09:14 AM
I was on a little Jubilee kick last week and now a bunch of it is stuck in my head. Edit: the kick continues...

kargath
07-30-2017, 10:15 AM
Clive Barker has apparently made a NIN inspired comic for Heavy Metal magazine. Issue #287 (has 3 different covers). Info here (https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/28/nine-inch-nails-comic-heavy-metal-magazine/). Available to order here (http://shop.heavymetal.com/shm/index.php?cPath=73).Does every past issue drop to $2.50 each? If so..I'm waiting.

cheddamash
07-30-2017, 10:27 AM
Does every past issue drop to $2.50 each? If so..I'm waiting.

I have no idea. If so, I just fuct up. Just grabbed all 3 issues. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

seVen_s
07-30-2017, 09:10 PM
Andrew McMahon who's performing live at Panorama just talked about NIN. He said something along the lines of "Great to be here. Can't believe I'm doing this before fucking Nine Inch Nails! I can't talk about it, or I'll piss my pants." Then went into the next song. This is a great performance at the Panorama NYC Festival.

Halo Infinity
07-30-2017, 10:03 PM
Even though I missed it, my highlight for the end of this weekend was catching Hurt being performed at Panorama on Yahoo when after Trent Reznor sung, "I am still right here.", somebody from the audience screamed right back at him, "Yeah! You are!"

My only regret was missing it. I just had no idea that it was actually going to be streamed. Had I've known, I would've watched it from start to finish. (I suppose YouTube will do anyway.) And well. I've actually always liked Yahoo, but this just adds a little bit more reason for me to appreciate it.

sentient
07-30-2017, 10:11 PM
I thought it was one of the very best performances of that song.

PhoenixML
07-31-2017, 09:19 AM
I love Copy of A, but I'm unable to enjoy the studio version, only the live version (with real drums)

dvdglss
07-31-2017, 10:29 AM
Aaron North?

https://instagram.com/p/BVVMp3GlTFc/

Can hope... dude was so talented...

AlanMorlock
07-31-2017, 12:59 PM
Look..I dunno 4 or 5 posts before yours. :-)

Honestly I think I had a tab with the thread open for a long g while. I honestly didn't see those posts.

Ruined
07-31-2017, 07:30 PM
I'm really curious to see what songs are played at tonight's Webster Hall show.

sheepdean
07-31-2017, 07:35 PM
I'm really curious to see what songs are played at tonight's Webster Hall show.
I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say the full 2 EPs

Kulerage
07-31-2017, 08:00 PM
Knowing what Copy Of A sounds like, "Dear World," would have lots of potential

ninsp
07-31-2017, 08:32 PM
Year Zero is ten years old.
That makes me feel old AF.
I mean, I saw NIN in the womb so it's been a part of my life forever...
But shit.

captainbeyond
07-31-2017, 10:43 PM
Since there have been two musical acts (Chromatics and Au Revoir Simone) in Twin Peaks that have had two performances in separate episodes, what do you think the chances are of NIN having another performance on the show with six episodes left to go?

Prettybrokenspiral
07-31-2017, 10:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/noONvsw.jpg

bobbie solo
08-01-2017, 01:32 AM

Turns out the only songs of note we got were Somewhat Damaged, Sanctified, She's Gone Away, Less Than, The Lovers, Burning Bright, The Loop Closes & to a much much less extent (much much less)...1,000,000 (can you tell I don't like this song?).

ManBurning
08-01-2017, 02:44 AM
& to a much much less extent (much much less)...1,000,000 (can you tell I don't like this song?).

If you had to pick between this or Discipline to represent the token live song to be played from "The Slip" Which would you choose?

I certainly would not pick Discipline, that's for sure.

ManBurning
08-01-2017, 02:48 AM
https://ninblogs.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/img_0779-756637-756881.jpg

Whoa, I never really noticed it until looking at this photo, but Alessandro has gained a lot of weight over the years.

And for some reason, Trent is like the Tom Cruise of the music industry. The guy does not seem to age! In fact, I think he looks younger now! At least by looking at the Bakersfield "mug shot" photo.

bobbie solo
08-01-2017, 02:49 AM
If you had to pick between this or Discipline to represent the token live song to be played from "The Slip" Which would you choose?

I certainly would not pick Discipline, that's for sure.

Demon Fucking Seed.

ManBurning
08-01-2017, 02:54 AM
I also made a playlist to listen to this new songs as if they were a full album. Mine goes like this. This EP series might be one of my favourites NIN releases ever.

1- Branches / Bones
2- Dear World,
3- Less Than
4- She's Gone Away
5- The Lovers
6- The Idea Of You
7- Burning Bright (Field On Fire)
8- This Isn't The Place
9- Not Anymore
10- The Background World

Oh, I did this as well, like a week ago or so.
Mine was:

Branches/Bones
Dear World,
The lovers
Less Than
She's gone away
This isn't the place
The idea of you
Not anymore
Burning bright
The background world

ManBurning
08-01-2017, 02:59 AM
Demon Fucking Seed.

Haha, well yeah... that's a no-brainer. But that will never become a live staple as long as we live.
Notice how he ALWAYS skips out on the best song live from every record?

Sunspots, AATCHB, Demon Seed...

Are these songs really the best, or are we just sick of all the other songs being played that these seem like they are the best because they aren't played as often?
I personally think the above 3 would make my top 5 NIN song's list. The Perfect Drug would be on there as well. As for a 5th, that would take some time. But those 4 are hands down in my top 5 list. Interesting how none of them have been played live though. Hmmm...

Ribbitman
08-01-2017, 11:13 AM
The synth throughout Burning Bright Live is fucking amazing

bobbie solo
08-01-2017, 12:03 PM
Sunspots isn't the best song on With Teeth. We just really want to hear it.

Demon Seed is the best upbeat song on The Slip. Songs kicks all kinds of ass. Lights in the Sky is great too, but it's hard to compare the two. 1,000,000...Echoplex...Discipline...zzzz. Not bad songs, just zzz.

08-01-2017, 12:12 PM
With NIN in NYC this week, would have been nice if Trent did a sit down interview with Howard Stern. Stern is a huge fan and is a lot better at musician interviews than he used to be. He just had Liam Gallagher on yesterday who did a great interview...90 mins with Howard and Trent would have sufficed

sheepdean
08-01-2017, 03:32 PM
With NIN in NYC this week, would have been nice if Trent did a sit down interview with Howard Stern. Stern is a huge fan and is a lot better at musician interviews than he used to be. He just had Liam Gallagher on yesterday who did a great interview...90 mins with Howard and Trent would have sufficed
Yeah but on the downside you'd have to listen to fucking Howard Stern for 90 minutes

streetman
08-01-2017, 04:10 PM

I'm guessing any hope of that ended when Stern made fun of Trent for mourning the loss of his grandmother and then proceeded to make fun of his past drug use, his new look, etc.

08-01-2017, 04:54 PM
Yeah but on the downside you'd have to listen to fucking Howard Stern for 90 minutes

still better than 20 minutes with zane lowe

sheepdean
08-01-2017, 05:11 PM
still better than 20 minutes with zane lowe
At least Zane Lowe isn't a misogynistic, transphobic, puerile manchild. He's just really irritating

bobbie solo
08-01-2017, 05:18 PM
At least Zane Lowe isn't a misogynistic, transphobic, puerile manchild. He's just really irritating

Stern also ISN'T what @Helpmeiaminhell (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=5551) said he is anymore. He's a greedy, rich, spoiled, neurotic & out of touch feeble old man. He has no connection to his audience or regular people anymore. He barely works, discusses topics at length that his target audience doesnt care about (gay humor with two of his staff, The Bachelor, Hamptons cocktail parties, his wife's innane charity work) & then does these supposedly great long form interviews with celebs where he "gets in really deep" with them. It's total bullshit and not accurate anymore, but they promote that image as if it's still reality. Nevermind interviewing a true musician like Trent. It would go terribly, and Trent has no need for Howard. Fuck that piece of shit. He has a great staff though...lot of good ,people work on that show..Gary especially. In fact one of the kids I mentor just got hired there.

buzburbank
08-01-2017, 05:39 PM
I'm guessing any hope of that ended when Stern made fun of Trent for mourning the loss of his grandmother and then proceeded to make fun of his past drug use, his new look, etc.

When (approximately) did this happen? Would it have been circa '05/WT tour (i.e., when TR took the stage with short hair, all bulked up)? I've been listening to Stern on Sirius religiously since 1/06 and I've only heard praise for TR and NIN. In fact, I've always wondered if TR had been a guest and whether he might in the future.

buzburbank
08-01-2017, 05:42 PM
Stern also ISN'T what @Helpmeiaminhell (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=5551) said he is anymore. He's a greedy, rich, spoiled, neurotic & out of touch feeble old man. He has no connection to his audience or regular people anymore. He barely works, discusses topics at length that his target audience doesnt care about (gay humor with two of his staff, The Bachelor, Hamptons cocktail parties, his wife's innane charity work) & then does these supposedly great long form interviews with celebs where he "gets in really deep" with them. It's total bullshit and not accurate anymore, but they promote that image as if it's still reality. Nevermind interviewing a true musician like Trent. It would go terribly, and Trent has no need for Howard. Fuck that piece of shit. He has a great staff though...lot of good ,people work on that show..Gary especially. In fact one of the kids I mentor just got hired there.

Won't debate that Stern has his flaws, but I actually think that he could do a good job with TR.

slave2thewage
08-01-2017, 06:58 PM
NIN fan groups on Facebook have made me appreciate this place MUCH more.

implanted_microchip
08-01-2017, 07:05 PM
I have gone out of my way to avoid those things because I cannot imagine any of them being anything other than nightmares

Halo Infinity
08-01-2017, 07:09 PM

I also had this in mind for quite some time. I'm now glad to see that it actually exists. I have also seen the Nine Inch Nails logo on the regular Nintendo logo a couple of times. This one from DeviantArt is one of my favorites.

http://pre02.deviantart.net/6221/th/pre/i/2005/074/4/2/nine_inch_nails_tendo_by_tearatone.jpg

http://tearatone.deviantart.com/art/Nine-Inch-Nails-tendo-15931287

@elevenism (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475) @NIN64 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=39) - I thought that the both of you would've liked to see this too.

neorev
08-01-2017, 07:51 PM
Trent should give us his David Bowie and Todd Rundgren remixes in 24 bit hi-res WAV for the shitshow that is Sandbag ;)

NIN64
08-01-2017, 08:03 PM
I also had this in mind for quite some time. I'm now glad to see that it actually exists. I have also seen the Nine Inch Nails logo on the regular Nintendo logo a couple of times. This one from DeviantArt is one of my favorites.

http://pre02.deviantart.net/6221/th/pre/i/2005/074/4/2/nine_inch_nails_tendo_by_tearatone.jpg

http://tearatone.deviantart.com/art/Nine-Inch-Nails-tendo-15931287

@elevenism (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475) @NIN64 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=39) - I thought that the both of you would've liked to see this too.

I love this!!

NIN64
08-01-2017, 08:07 PM

I want this to be my avatar like right now!!!

eversonpoe
08-01-2017, 09:12 PM
i was listening to the audio capture of the Panorama show today and some of the songs sounded sped-up to me. it was weird. but i checked them against their studio versions and i was wrong.

also, the live version of the farewell mix of "i can't give everything away" is immensely powerful. i cried my eyes out in the car when bowie's voice came in with trent's. so beautiful.

implanted_microchip
08-01-2017, 09:14 PM
That Bowie cover and the way that the audience behaved was just magical. A lot of people around me were softly singing and doing their best not to tear others away from the moment. I'm convinced Trent was thinking of David again during Hurt, and it was one of the best performances of the song that I have ever heard.

captainbeyond
08-01-2017, 10:55 PM

I was banned from one just for politely pointing out that a photo an admin labeled "Self Destruct tour" was actually a Fragility era tour photo. There was no question about it. Their response was something like "WE DON"T NEED YOUR NEGATIVITY HERE!!111!!!" and then I was banned before I could even reply.

streetman
08-02-2017, 01:07 AM
So according to what Trent said in the radio interviews, he'll now be back in the studio focusing on the third EP. He'll finish out the next two shows september/october and I'm guessing he'll set his sights on the album release and subsequent touring for next year. Should be an exciting next few months!

neorev
08-02-2017, 01:20 AM
Wish they would play My Violent Heart. It's my favorite Year Zero song. Has it been played before?

nooneimportant
08-02-2017, 01:47 AM
That Bowie cover and the way that the audience behaved was just magical. A lot of people around me were softly singing and doing their best not to tear others away from the moment. I'm convinced Trent was thinking of David again during Hurt, and it was one of the best performances of the song that I have ever heard.

On the stream, Trent was visibly smiling during the Bowie cover and the camera had a panned out shot often to show the lights that looked almost like a nod to Heaven itself. The whole stream was amazing because it was clear Trent teamed up with the producers (on stage camera, no watermark) to put his vision out there.

joplinpicasso
08-02-2017, 09:02 AM
Seriously, where is "The Idea of You" in concert??

fillow
08-02-2017, 09:11 AM
Seriously, where is "The Idea of You" in concert??
It's right there, in 2018.

imail724
08-02-2017, 09:20 AM
Wish they would play My Violent Heart. It's my favorite Year Zero song. Has it been played before?
Nope. But it took them like 15 years to ever play Last live, so you never know.

neorev
08-02-2017, 12:33 PM
I also wish that they would play The Frail into The Wretched into The Fragile live so we can hear that piano motif return in The Fragile's bridge guitar solo. They really do feel like a trilogy in a way and without The Fragile it feels incomplete.

botley
08-02-2017, 02:47 PM
At a couple of shows in Europe 2007 they played all three tracks, then a few times again in 2009. ONLY ONCE (http://nintourhistory.com/concert.php?concertid=831) have all three been played back-to-back-to-back, however: at NIN's only show (so far) in Singapore.

Fairly good bar trivia question, that.

nooneimportant
08-02-2017, 07:06 PM
Trent really needs to have a shirt that says T.R. on it like in the Meathead comics.

http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/img/wallpapers/family_800x600.jpg

captainbeyond
08-02-2017, 08:12 PM
I also wish that they would play The Frail into The Wretched into The Fragile live so we can hear that piano motif return in The Fragile's bridge guitar solo. They really do feel like a trilogy in a way and without The Fragile it feels incomplete.

If every show they ever did for the rest of time had this, I would be completely okay with that. Even better if it was March of the Pigs>Piggy>The Frail>The Wretched>The Fragile. That should be a staple to the NIN live show. Shuffle up everything else but make that the core of the show after the first two or three songs.

Tommy_Macbeth
08-03-2017, 12:09 AM
I think it would be sick if all 3 EP's made a coherent album when mixed together as well as songs from With Teeth/Year Zero/Hesitation Marks being mixed in to make the Bleedthrough concept be a really epic thing.