PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

wizfan
02-28-2013, 01:49 PM
The upcoming self-titled Paramore album features Ilan and was produced by JMJ! Whoa. This may as well be the only reason for me to listen to a Paramore album.

hippygeek
02-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Stop using Closer in your mashups.

Surely you like Closer to spice (http://cliveholloway.net/ets/Closer%20To%20Spice.mp3) ? :D

wizfan
02-28-2013, 06:03 PM
http://instagram.com/p/WQTetIzPR0/

This can't be a legitimate NIN recording photo! Where are the tambourines? (unless they fit in the "More Perc!!" category.)

hobochic
03-01-2013, 12:25 AM
Surely you like Closer to spice (http://cliveholloway.net/ets/Closer To Spice.mp3) ? :D

Alright, I liked how it connected with "I wanna, I wanna... - I wanna fuck you" and how the bordello piano went well with the Nightclubbing/Closer beat. Still bored to bits by Closer. I still love me some "Closer to God" though! and think if Closer needs to get played in any way shape or form, live, remixed or mashed, it should be that version. :D

tate the great
03-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Just listened to TDTWWA again, after not listening to it for ages, to get myself hyped up for the coming tour and noticed a NEW sound in the track, that i haven't noticed before. Kind of like a distorted breathing sound near the beginning of the song. It's surreal that after listening to that track for a million times it can still surprise me like that...

Vertigo
03-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Just listened to TDTWWA again, after not listening to it for ages, to get myself hyped up for the coming tour and noticed a NEW sound in the track, that i haven't noticed before. Kind of like a distorted breathing sound near the beginning of the song. It's surreal that after listening to that track for a million times it can still surprise me like that...

Imagine what it'll be like when we hear it in 5.1. Even if the master is kept more or less the same, you'll be able to pick out a shit ton of new elements.

MrSlfDstruct
03-01-2013, 01:36 PM

Exactly why I love listening to TDS and TF, I always find something new.

Fadeout54321
03-01-2013, 02:05 PM
This is wicked funny. I have never seen this before today so if you have I apologize. Nine Inch Snails (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0qQ1pomYzk)

sleepless
03-01-2013, 07:12 PM
I just heard "Sometimes She Smiles" by Cool Down Daddy for the first time. Not bad.

BenAkenobi
03-02-2013, 12:07 AM
Happy birthday, GHOSTS I-IV

I was so going to write "i'll put everything away and listen through this album today while ogling the artwork", but in fact not so sure about that. Maybe. Why? Because this music is always fresh in my memory regardless of how long i haven't actually spinned it on my stereo.

gorast
03-02-2013, 12:12 AM
This obviously isn't going to happen, but it would be hilarious if a bunch more volumes of Ghosts suddenly popped up on nin.com today.

TheBang
03-02-2013, 12:33 AM
Has it really been 5 years since Ghosts? How time flies.

danzo_rezno
03-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Listening to all the NIN albums on CD, with a joint, I'm in such a "ninny" mood lately with the recent tour/return news,
it's great sitting here listening to the clarity of the albums thinking of things to come, too excited

...please come to Ireland again

sheepdean
03-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Did a recording of the LITS rehearsals ever surface? My brain says yes but my files say no

blassster
03-03-2013, 07:05 PM

And don't forget, the TDTWWA Single version has a different vocal take and master compared to the Album version! :)

thefragile_jake
03-03-2013, 07:22 PM
I've been playing guitar since 2001, I bought a Les Paul guitar I believe 2003 and I've been obsessed with that style of guitar ever since I first saw And All That Could Have Been.

I just thought this was the coolest thing.

http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/ladyirena/default/msg-125968777222.jpg

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/2376/02td8.jpg

scorpiusdiamond
03-04-2013, 04:49 AM
Did a recording of the LITS rehearsals ever surface? My brain says yes but my files say no

Not counting the stuff on The Slip's DVD or the Rehearsal Show?

sheepdean
03-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Not counting the stuff on The Slip's DVD or the Rehearsal Show?
Yeah the actual rehearsals, like With Teeth's. Idk my brain thought it might exist.

sentient02970
03-04-2013, 04:25 PM
I've been alone in my house for the past two days, illness. Anyway, been listening to halo eight DVD-A on dolby digital surround (loudly) and am re-convinced that the source material is one of the finest works of art from the 20th century. FYI: No, I haven't been smoking anything.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/10/Le_Pig_Studios.jpg

Stereo75
03-05-2013, 11:28 AM
This post is more like random NIN stupidity, but...

Listening to WO made me think of this. What if TR & everyone in the band on the upcoming NIN tour dates had a 'future' recording session & put together 10 songs. Then they release multitracks to fans to make their own versions of their songs - without hearing what NIN had come up with. Then NIN picks the best 5 0r 6 fan arrangements - plays them live, along with their own interprets of the remainder of the 10 songs. Throw in some classics & this would be a neat idea. Imagine hearing your own NIN song?

Again, random NIN stupidity...

gorast
03-05-2013, 12:50 PM
I like the idea of releasing songs solely as multitracks before playing them. Maybe not necessarily having the band re-learn random arrangements afterwards, but make it sort of like a game, who can put together the most accurate tracks? Then the band plays them and if you did it right, you win. Win what? Nothing, obviously. But you still win.

kenthebear
03-05-2013, 01:01 PM
That kinda happened with Ghosts 37. I cocked up something when I mixed down my version back when the multis were just released, and it sounded considerably different to the version someone else on the forums put out, but due to the nature of the track, both worked and sounded like the 'proper' track on their own grounds. It was interesting.

spahn
03-05-2013, 02:52 PM
the band: At first, thank you very much for a wonderful record, i really enjoyed it. Trent: Regarding the promised nin the fragile 5.1 reissue – is there any chance multitracks would be released (at least for some songs)? I know the record is heavily sonically layered, so the number of files would be pretty damn high…but that’s also the reason i’m asking – having the chance to hear that incredible mix deconstructed would be great. Thank you.

[trent] i see the fragile 5.1 is the new tapeworm... So the only appropriate answer i can give you is "soon."

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thefragile_jake
03-05-2013, 03:09 PM
What is this quote from again?

october_midnight
03-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Their AMA on Reddit.

danzo_rezno
03-05-2013, 03:31 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you mean "nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" as in you think TF5.1 will never see the light of day?
Cause that's not how i'm reading his response.

spahn
03-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Do you mean "nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" as in you think TF5.1 will never see the light of day?
Cause that's not how i'm reading his response.

yes, that's how i meant that, being that tapeworm never saw the light of day.

danzo_rezno
03-05-2013, 03:44 PM
yes, that's how i meant that, being that tapeworm never saw the light of day.

Nah I think he means that tapeworm was always asked in Q&A's through the NIN years,
so was TF5.1 but only since, maybe 2004, when everyone got into a 5.1 craze after the amazing TDS5.1?
I think he's trying to say everyone's always bugging him about it, not that it's dead,
besides I read a tweet from Rob I think that it's finished, they were just stuck on what package/presentation they wanted,
plus Trent made a tweet a while back now about revisiting an old friend while he was mixing The Wretched in 5.1,
did you miss those tweets? :/

danzo_rezno
03-05-2013, 04:30 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8245/8531638877_905e0b52b5_b.jpg

gorast
03-05-2013, 04:49 PM
I'm sure it'll be out soon enough. Probably 2014. That's gearing up to be a big year for NIN releases.

thevoid99
03-05-2013, 10:49 PM
I just heard that NIN/Carly Rae Jepsen mash-up. I don't know what to think. Part of me is really annoyed and upset about the fact that NIN is mashed up with a song I absolutely despise yet somehow, it's kind of catchy. I wonder what Trent thinks of this.

butter_hole
03-06-2013, 12:00 AM
I just heard that NIN/Carly Rae Jepsen mash-up. I don't know what to think. Part of me is really annoyed and upset about the fact that NIN is mashed up with a song I absolutely despise yet somehow, it's kind of catchy. I wonder what Trent thinks of this.
I'd say he thinks you should grow up a little

nufan
03-06-2013, 10:06 AM
EDIT: already mentioned above.

gorast
03-08-2013, 05:46 PM
http://robsheridan.tumblr.com/post/44889166487/some-concept-art-and-web-imagery-i-created-for

I wish Rob would re-use this concept for another album, it looks awesome.

Ash512
03-08-2013, 09:10 PM
This is gonna sound totally random indeed... but I'm looking for NIN fans living in the Philippines. Please email me : pier_philippe88@hotmail.com

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-09-2013, 05:53 PM
I'm absolutely loving all the throw-backs we're getting from Trent & Co. lately. Rob posting some of the Bleedthrough concept art, the occasional picture from the NIN vault. It's really awesome seeing things like that after seeing the same hundreds of pictures from/of Nine Inch Nails circulating around, even if they don't necessarily reveal anything new. It's just opening up the band a little more to the fans, and that's a really cool thing.

And all this reminiscing that seems to be coming from the NIN camp REALLY isn't helping my suspicion that we might be having a Fragility 3.0-esque tour coming our way. Whatever's going on, I'm super stoked for it. I already have some back-up ticket money tucked away for pre-sales to the nearest show.

bwary
03-09-2013, 09:30 PM
http://robsheridan.tumblr.com/post/44889166487/some-concept-art-and-web-imagery-i-created-for

I wish Rob would re-use this concept for another album, it looks awesome.
YES! This is part of the nin.com games from July 2003!
You can see how some of them were used here (http://www.portraitofdecay.com/nin.com/index-f.html)
(Wish I had the series of the home page backgrounds as it crawled from on side of the page to the other fading out the site as it was updated over a time.

Seeing this, must mean that Rob's going through his old harddrives? I wonder what treasures he'll bring us! I've been waiting!

richardp
03-10-2013, 01:06 AM
I know it will never actually happen, but I feel like Adrian Belew being in the live band now, means that I'm one step closer to my dream of seeing NIN perform Memorabilia.

sick among the pure
03-10-2013, 08:53 AM
I know it will never actually happen, but I feel like Adrian Belew being in the live band now, means that I'm one step closer to my dream of seeing NIN perform Memorabilia.

But Robin's not there to repeat "what do your nipples look like"

fillow
03-10-2013, 10:57 AM
But Robin's not there to repeat "what do your nipples look like"
They can always prank call him from on stage and he'll say it by phone.

sheepdean
03-10-2013, 10:58 AM
I wonder if this will be the year Trent spells it correctly?

butter_hole
03-10-2013, 06:10 PM
I'm absolutely loving all the throw-backs we're getting from Trent & Co. lately. Rob posting some of the Bleedthrough concept art, the occasional picture from the NIN vault. It's really awesome seeing things like that after seeing the same hundreds of pictures from/of Nine Inch Nails circulating around, even if they don't necessarily reveal anything new. It's just opening up the band a little more to the fans, and that's a really cool thing.

And all this reminiscing that seems to be coming from the NIN camp REALLY isn't helping my suspicion that we might be having a Fragility 3.0-esque tour coming our way. Whatever's going on, I'm super stoked for it. I already have some back-up ticket money tucked away for pre-sales to the nearest show.
Agreed. What surprised me was the photo from the Only video. Didn't realize it was being filmed as far back as April, a month before the album even came out.

slave2thewage
03-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Didn't realize it was being filmed as far back as April, a month before the album even came out.
That didn't shock me since they were basically on tour constantly for the rest of 2005 and it's obviously a video that would've taken a long time in post-production.

thefragile_jake
03-11-2013, 09:56 AM
So Capital G was only played during the Performance 2007 tour? I'm not a huge supporter of that song in particular and I guess after awhile Trent wasn't either...

Agreed. What surprised me was the photo from the Only video. Didn't realize it was being filmed as far back as April, a month before the album even came out.

I was thinking the same thing actually when I first saw that. Didn't the music video come out that summer?

fillow
03-11-2013, 10:02 AM
It was released somewhere between Aus/Jpn dates and the beginning of arena tour (late August, I think)

Edit: checked at theninhotline, it was actually early July.

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-11-2013, 12:19 PM
So Capital G was only played during the Performance 2007 tour? I'm not a huge supporter of that song in particular and I guess after awhile Trent wasn't either...

I have to be in the mood for that one. But I'd REALLY like to see it played live someday. Along with half of Year Zero that I never got to see!

staleincense
03-11-2013, 01:06 PM

I was thinking the same thing actually when I first saw that. Didn't the music video come out that summer?
Damnit, am I the only person round here who likes Capital G?

gorast
03-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Man, I loved Capital G. The vocal delivery really helped distinguish it from the rest of YZ.

kenthebear
03-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Rob posted the tour posters from 2006 on his tumblr and commented 'I made every single one of these, and it took forever.'

rip the designer's republic, gone and forgotten. sure he didn't do it on purpose though, he's a cool dude:
http://j-dazeley0912-dc.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/designers-republic.html

RJK
03-11-2013, 02:06 PM
I assume they only did the tour poster and Rob did each of the city posters.

kenthebear
03-11-2013, 02:10 PM
TDR tends to get credited over Rob: http://stainslikeblood.com/2006.htm

But I think you might be right, I think he mentioned it ages ago how it was TDR imagery that he put into posters. sorry rob.

thefragile_jake
03-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Man, I loved Capital G. The vocal delivery really helped distinguish it from the rest of YZ.

Haha, I always thought of a rabbit bouncing up and down with the way he sang it.

http://cdn-i.dmdentertainment.com/funpages/cms_content/10468/images/easter_bunny_bouncing_lg_wht.gif

I PUSH DA BUTTON...

staleincense
03-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Rob posted the tour posters from 2006 on his tumblr and commented 'I made every single one of these, and it took forever.'

rip the designer's republic, gone and forgotten. sure he didn't do it on purpose though, he's a cool dude:
http://j-dazeley0912-dc.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/designers-republic.html
Good to see another person round here who loved Designer's Republic!

eversonpoe
03-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Haha, I always thought of a rabbit bouncing up and down with the way he sang it.

http://cdn-i.dmdentertainment.com/funpages/cms_content/10468/images/easter_bunny_bouncing_lg_wht.gif

I PUSH DA BUTTON...

not that i ever listen to that song, but now i will never be able to even think of it without seeing this disturbingly-proportioned rabbit...

butter_hole
03-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Good to see another person round here who loved Designer's Republic!
TDR are still "around" aren't they? They just did the new Autechre album

(god I hope the archival things keep coming)

Warped_Savant
03-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Damnit, am I the only person round here who likes Capital G?
No, not the only one. A lot of people that didn't like it are fairly vocal about not liking it and the people that do like it don't seem to say much.

sentient02970
03-11-2013, 07:49 PM
I'm absolutely loving all the throw-backs we're getting from Trent & Co. lately.

Agreed. It's getting me in the mood to dig out old CD's, mixes, videos and performances. For example, I woke up at like 5am this morning, couldn't sleep and found myself watching the entire NIN performance at Woodstock 94 on YouTube via my cellphone. Haven't watched that mess in years.

staleincense
03-12-2013, 10:48 AM
TDR are still "around" aren't they? They just did the new Autechre album

(god I hope the archival things keep coming)
It'd weird, because they officially closed down in 2009, but they have apparently designed some Warp Records releases since then, so I dunno what's up with that.

kenthebear
03-12-2013, 11:08 AM
As far as I'm aware, TDR as a physical entity no longer exists, it's Ian Anderson and people he occasionally works with.

They did a 'car boot sale' thing recently which was a mixture of installation and store, selling off all their old prints/t-shirts and crap, so they are getting rid of stuff. I asked Ian about it but in typical sheffield fashion he wouldn't tell me anything concrete. Nice bloke, though.

Had a few copies of Sin on vinyl there too, looked brand new and all as they were framed immediately I think.

mfte
03-12-2013, 03:26 PM
listened to TDS on head phones front to back last night for the first time in years. still sounds as good as it did way back when.

TheBang
03-13-2013, 09:22 PM
As far as I'm aware, TDR as a physical entity no longer exists, it's Ian Anderson and people he occasionally works with.
Pretty much this. TDR, the agency, closed in 2009. Ian still does work under the DR name.

gorast
03-15-2013, 10:34 PM
A post in the NIN Questions topic reminded me about Trent's freak-outs. The With Teeth tour was a total goldmine for those. I love reading about them, even though he acted pretty shitty to his stagehands a lot.

OSLIN
03-16-2013, 11:59 PM
Listening to some Year Zero today. Vessel should have been the first single. Anybody feeling me on that? Fucking love that song.

FernandoDante
03-17-2013, 02:04 AM
Tonight, I was listening to The Great Destroyer for the 50th time or so - but for the first time on iPhone speakers. I'm alone, in the dark, every note is going exactly as I remember, on the same MP3 file I've been using for years, when suddenly RED HORSE VECTOR.

I admit to not following the YZ ARG when it was around, and I admit to freaking the fuck out when I heard the spoken bit for the first time ever.

wizfan
03-17-2013, 09:12 AM
That feeling when a band called Ghost releases a song called Year Zero.

JamesCmuse
03-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Decided that my favourite part about Trent's new arrangement system is that Just Like You Imagined is almost guaranteed to be a set staple.. it fits perfectly with what I imagine he'll be going for in terms of sound, and of course, Adrian Belew played an important part in the songs creation to begin with..

Well, this is what I hope happens, at least..

sheepdean
03-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Your favourite thing about something you have no way of knowing about is that a song might be played?

sick among the pure
03-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Your favourite thing about something you have no way of knowing about is that a song might be played?

Dude, we're NIN fans, don't act surprised.

kenthebear
03-17-2013, 11:40 AM
And I think important part may be a slight exaggeration. He didn't receive writing credit or anything, and Lohner played too.

sheepdean
03-17-2013, 11:42 AM
The best thing about the new arrangement is going to be all the trained lions Trent's going to use during the act.

JamesCmuse
03-17-2013, 12:22 PM
I don't think people are recognising the fact that I fucking love that song and I'm building up false hope for myself.. I shouldn't but I momentarily got excited.. I had just watched the live version with Mike Garson and got creamed with excitement..

Endlessly
03-17-2013, 04:43 PM
The best thing about the new arrangement is going to be all the trained lions Trent's going to use during the act.

Yes, and they'll rework March of the Pigs to be extremely literal.

Halo Infinity
03-17-2013, 10:10 PM
I'm just listening to Ghosts I-IV for the first time in a while and I just love how chill this album can get. :D

MAD
03-18-2013, 10:41 AM
Tonight, I was listening to The Great Destroyer for the 50th time or so - but for the first time on iPhone speakers. I'm alone, in the dark, every note is going exactly as I remember, on the same MP3 file I've been using for years, when suddenly RED HORSE VECTOR.

I admit to not following the YZ ARG when it was around, and I admit to freaking the fuck out when I heard the spoken bit for the first time ever.

I remember reading somewhere (old ETS maybe?) about this effect and how you can recreate it. I'm currently experimenting with a lot of audio stuff and I'd love to get my hands on those pointers. I don't even know the name of the effect.

Scarlet Siren
03-18-2013, 10:56 AM
I'm just listening to Ghosts I-IV for the first time in a while and I just love how chill this album can get. :D

That was me on Saturday night. I'd not long come back in after a night out but I was restless and needed to wind down so stuck that on and went about my photo editing. It was real nice.

Halo Infinity
03-19-2013, 11:28 AM
It has occurred to me that some parts of 34 - Ghosts IV could probably be mashed up well with Radiohead's Karma Police or Aphex Twin's At the Heart of It All.

wizfan
03-19-2013, 11:33 AM
They share a kinda similar pace and brooding atmosphere.

ItsJustDave
03-19-2013, 11:34 AM
I remember reading somewhere (old ETS maybe?) about this effect and how you can recreate it. I'm currently experimenting with a lot of audio stuff and I'd love to get my hands on those pointers. I don't even know the name of the effect.

Phase inversion?

sick among the pure
03-19-2013, 04:43 PM
That was me on Saturday night. I'd not long come back in after a night out but I was restless and needed to wind down so stuck that on and went about my photo editing. It was real nice.

I love doing photo editing with Ghosts playing.

Scarlet Siren
03-19-2013, 06:44 PM
I love doing photo editing with Ghosts playing.

Hi five.

I was at my regular 9-5, Mon-Fri desk job today and I had a shit load of work to do so I took myself to a quite part of the office and played Ghosts, TGWTDT and Welcome Oblivion_ simply perfect. I had an English teacher in high school who would encourage us to read/study whist listening to classical music, I have the attention span of about fuck all so I developed a habit of working with music playing in the background (mostly instrumentals) and I find it most helpful/soothing, it helps me focus.

wizfan
03-22-2013, 04:09 PM
So, in two months, it'll be six years since I first joined ETS! Whoa, never thought I'd be a part of this community for so long. These days, I visit ETS more frequently than I used to. You guys are just like one big family to me.

GibbonBlack
03-22-2013, 10:15 PM
So, in two months, it'll be six years since I first joined ETS! Whoa, never thought I'd be a part of this community for so long. These days, I visit ETS more frequently than I used to. You guys are just like one big family to me.

you're not my real mum! :mad:

thefragile_jake
03-22-2013, 11:44 PM

Wow, it's crazy..come this August it will have been nine years since I first joined ETS. It's like I mentioned once before, my music tastes has changed a lot over the years and I've fell in love with bands just as much as I have forgotten about them...but the one thing that's always remained a constant is how much Nine Inch Nails has had an impact on my life and how much I love talking about both old and upcoming records/tours and such with everyone here.

I've been on here quite frequently as well lately and have been in even better contact with more users here than I was back in the old thread days. Hope to keep this going! I can't wait to talk about more NIN stuff with all of you this year.

wizfan
03-24-2013, 08:56 AM
The Leeds & Reading poster made me laugh. The NIN logo is right above Fall Out Boy. It instantly reminded me of that Meathead toon about Ghosts where a fan had posters of NIN and FOB on his bedroom. "Mom, can I borrow your credit card?" Damn, more and more Meathead predictions are coming true.

ensanchecedor
03-25-2013, 07:24 AM
I am sort of ashamed for saying this but i recently found out that the song title la mer could be interpreted as both for french and english lamer (nobel prize genius, i know lol). how do you pronounce it? sorry if i got the wrong thread

fillow
03-25-2013, 08:09 AM
^^^
The girl who sings the song pronounces its title twice, at 1:13 and 1:17.

ensanchecedor
03-25-2013, 09:09 AM
^^^

That's what i thought, thanks. Anyway i just wanted to know if some fans referred to the song as "lamer" :D

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-25-2013, 09:29 AM
Listening to the soundtrack for The Social Network while doing homework makes me feel like I'm inventing Facebook.

butter_hole
03-27-2013, 02:42 AM
pretty sure "no one ever does", or the music TR made for it, ALSO appears in chopped up form as the chorus for "niggy tardust", which TR has said was a fragile out take.

ergo, "no one ever does" is a fragile out-take. Listen to the guitars and you will know it to be true

icklekitty
03-27-2013, 03:42 AM
I am sort of ashamed for saying this but i recently found out that the song title la mer could be interpreted as both for french and english lamer (nobel prize genius, i know lol). how do you pronounce it? sorry if i got the wrong thread

This reminds me of the time I realised that some anglophones don't pronouce other languages in their accents. I'm a little disturbed at how people in California pronounce "noir".

katara
03-27-2013, 05:28 AM
pretty sure "no one ever does", or the music TR made for it, ALSO appears in chopped up form as the chorus for "niggy tardust", which TR has said was a fragile out take.

ergo, "no one ever does" is a fragile out-take. Listen to the guitars and you will know it to be true
This.

I was under the impression that many of the songs TR initially sent to Saul were actually just 'The Lost Fragile Tracks'. You can hear The Fragile aesthetic through much of the album, in particular Break and Raised To Be Lowered. But that might just be TR's magic touch.

fillow
03-27-2013, 05:55 AM
I was under the impression that many of the songs TR initially sent to Saul were actually just 'The Lost Fragile Tracks'.

Yes, because they were. Both Trent and Saul explicitly described origins of almost all tracks, and many of them indeed have music from The Fragile outtakes, while some other ones have Trent's Tapeworm music.

BenAkenobi
03-27-2013, 07:10 AM
if Saul's album did not happen, who knows, maybe HTDA wouldn't have happened either...

mfte
03-27-2013, 07:20 AM
Yes, because they were. Both Trent and Saul explicitly described origins of almost all tracks, and many of them indeed have music from The Fragile outtakes, while some other ones have Trent's Tapeworm music.

DO you know where I can find this ?

BenAkenobi
03-27-2013, 07:29 AM
DO you know where I can find this ?

as always, ninwiki (http://www.ninwiki.com/The_Inevitable_Rise_And_Liberation_Of_NiggyTardust !) is your friend

butter_hole
03-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Yep, there was a 14 track initial ideas CD and many of them were Fragile/Tapeworm

katara
03-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Yep, there was a 14 track initial ideas CD and many of them were Fragile/Tapeworm
Although it's highly unlikely, it would be amazing if this ever surfaced.

sheepdean
03-28-2013, 07:38 PM
I made a playlist of (most of) the songs NIN/Trent has covered, have I made any big misses? Also, feel free to steal:
http://open.spotify.com/user/sheepdean/playlist/3iKjwz0lvQ6gRaepujpDes

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-28-2013, 07:55 PM
I made a playlist of (most of) the songs NIN/Trent has covered, have I made any big misses?

Should "Immigrant Song" be on there? Or was that more Karen O's deal than it was Trent/Atticuss?

Collin
03-28-2013, 08:09 PM
I made a playlist of (most of) the songs NIN/Trent has covered, have I made any big misses? Also, feel free to steal:
http://open.spotify.com/user/sheepdean/playlist/3iKjwz0lvQ6gRaepujpDes

If you're gonna count "Sunday Bloody Sunday" then I would also consider "Immigrant Song" and "Is Your Love Strong Enough?"

sheepdean
03-28-2013, 08:10 PM
It was Fincher's deal really - but it *is* on there ... if you have Led Zeppelin on your PC. LZ have chosen to not be on Spotify, so I can't add them to a public playlist, but if you set your spotify to show unplayable tracks, it will come up.

edit: and IYLSE is on there too, if you can't see it then it's not available in your country :(

slave2thewage
03-28-2013, 11:49 PM
What about Sex Dwarf?

sheepdean
03-29-2013, 12:17 AM
Sex Dwarf is in there too - in retrospect, using Spotify to show it might've been a bad idea compared to just a text list, clearly no country has all the songs :P

slave2thewage
03-29-2013, 02:50 AM
This is on Aaron North's wiki entry. Holy crap if this is true:

In late 2008, North suffered a nervous breakdown while mixing the Jubilee album. After subsequent hospitalizations, he ceased all activity with the band. A "motorcycle accident" was used as a public explanation at the time. Months later, attempts to form a new lineup of the band and finish the album were also abandoned due to North's struggles with mental health and addiction.

kenthebear
03-29-2013, 07:05 PM

You forgot the cover of 4'33" on Broken.

fillow
03-30-2013, 03:24 AM
Also: Supernaut, Red Scab, Beat My Guest, songs from Nights of Nothing tour (Animal, Tough, RVSP, Wise Up Sucker);
African Student Movement, List of Demands, Banged and Blown Through;
Hall of the Mountain King (duh)

BenAkenobi
03-30-2013, 04:36 AM
another one of those "complete the list" games? my turn: I'm afraid of americans

sheepdean
03-30-2013, 09:45 AM
Also: Supernaut, Red Scab, Beat My Guest, songs from Nights of Nothing tour (Animal, Tough, RVSP, Wise Up Sucker);
African Student Movement, List of Demands, Banged and Blown Through;
Hall of the Mountain King (duh)
Ah damn forgot those - Mountain King though, what would I put on as the "original"? Every conductor makes variations to the original Grieg piece, and I think he died to early for anyone to have recorded HIM conducting.

allegro
03-30-2013, 10:41 AM
but no conductor ever lists himself as the composer of the piece in the symphony program. the composer is always credited and the program always includes a segment about the composer and the piece.

http://cso.org/uploadedFiles/1_Tickets_and_Events/Program_Notes/032411_ProgramNotes_Kissin_Grieg.pdf

sheepdean
03-30-2013, 11:13 AM
True - I guess, which of the myriad of performances should I go for though? My favourite performance of it is Maksim Mrvica's, but that might be too contemporary to be considered the "original"

Sutekh
03-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Does Warm Leatherette count?

sheepdean
03-30-2013, 11:22 AM
It does, and is in the list - you're in the UK, you should surely be able to see that...

Sutekh
03-30-2013, 11:48 AM
...I'm not sure there's a suave way of saying I didn't know I could scroll down the list, so I'll just get me coat

allegro
03-30-2013, 12:00 PM
True - I guess, which of the myriad of performances should I go for though? My favourite performance of it is Maksim Mrvica's, but that might be too contemporary to be considered the "original"
You'd have to study the history of Ibsen's Peer Gynt?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer_Gynt

I'd choose Ashkenazy:
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=BLZl-hhbXDI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBLZl-hhbXDI

sheepdean
03-30-2013, 12:22 PM
If possible, I want to choose a high-quality performance that is as true as possible to Grieg's vision that is in the Spotify database. Whilst this playlist is purely for my own enjoyment, if I can get a track that is shareable, it would be much nicer for anyone who wants to use it.

But I come to the problem of I don't have 3 weeks spare to go through every result - should I perhaps go for a piece performed by a Norwegian orchestra for the recognition of origin?

allegro
03-30-2013, 01:26 PM
yeah that is a really good idea.

sheepdean
03-30-2013, 03:13 PM
I'm going for this one as the best Norwegian performance I could find
http://open.spotify.com/track/6tRUf0lhxiKjRXVEU4cPHY

butter_hole
03-30-2013, 11:09 PM
This is on Aaron North's wiki entry. Holy crap if this is true:

[/FONT][/COLOR]
Makes sense. I heard he was out of the music biz all together after that Grey/White/Black or whatever thing failed to launch.

ImTheWiseJanitor
04-01-2013, 09:14 PM
"Eraser" is one of my favorite songs of all time.

sick among the pure
04-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Still waiting for Strobe Light...

thevoid99
04-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Still waiting for Strobe Light...

I know... it's a great album. "Black T-shirt" is my favorite song.

k258
04-02-2013, 07:11 AM
After seeing the HDTA rehearsal photo of Trent, I am dreading the idea of seeing him continue his relationship with hair dye. What's next, plastic surgery? Step away from the bottle, Trent. Impress us with your natural beauty. Carry a photo of Roy Orbison if you need a reminder. And stay away from Perry Farrell.

scorpiusdiamond
04-02-2013, 07:37 AM
The new Paramore album leaked, the one with JMJ and Ilan Rubin on it. The end of the final track is absolutely mental and seems very NIN inspired.

katara
04-02-2013, 09:43 AM
After seeing the HDTA rehearsal photo of Trent, I am dreading the idea of seeing him continue his relationship with hair dye. What's next, plastic surgery? Step away from the bottle, Trent. Impress us with your natural beauty. Carry a photo of Roy Orbison if you need a reminder. And stay away from Perry Farrell.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/01bd8b74f4258f980c04155b3ddd4d4e/tumblr_mkl8klY7zw1qbl7hpo1_1280.jpg

This one? It's really not that bad.

Hasn't he been using black dye since forever?

sheepdean
04-02-2013, 11:47 AM
His natural hair colour isn't even black, so I don't see the issue

eversonpoe
04-02-2013, 01:15 PM
also, comparing hair dye usage to plastic surgery is a bit of a leap...

allegro
04-02-2013, 01:43 PM
also, comparing hair dye usage to plastic surgery is a bit of a leap...
I think that person meant that, at a certain age, the temptation to go from this (http://www.justformen.com/) to this (http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/10/kenny-rogers-plastic-surgery-photos-dolly-parton-video/) gets bigger and bigger.

But, really, this red hair just doesn't belong in ROCK (http://www.twitpic.com/pt6x0/full) unless you're David Bowie. (Full Disclosure: I don't give a shit what he does with his hair, or with plastic surgery. Let your freak flag fly!)

k258
04-09-2013, 11:36 AM
I'm just old. And I hate that, in this youth-driven society, people my age try to hide it. It's an authenticity issue. I went gray this year and most of my friends said, "You look great! But I could never do it." Plus, I just don't think black hair looks good on older people. Especially men.

I interpreted the reinvention of NIN to reflect a more mature Trent. I thought it would include his look. I'll get over it.

gorast
04-09-2013, 12:42 PM
This might be the tiniest, most inconsequential thing I've ever seen people bitch about on here.

And this is ETS.

screwdriver
04-09-2013, 01:25 PM
I interpreted the reinvention of NIN to reflect a more mature Trent. I thought it would include his look. I'll get over it.

ha! I'm not sure why you're okay with a "more mature Trent" singing anthems of self-destruction and heartbreak he penned 20+ years ago, but the hair color (that he's been doing so long he's probably forgotten what its like to not do) bothers you.

either way, I love this thread for bringing the heavier red-headed Trent pic back into my life. win!

staleincense
04-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Wait, what? Trent has naturally red hair? I honestly never realized...

katara
04-09-2013, 04:05 PM
I was always under the impression it was brown. Honestly, I wouldn't care if he had blue hair. He'd still be Trent Reznor.

sheepdean
04-09-2013, 05:40 PM
It's not really a reinvention until you change your name to a symbol anyway

Frozen Beach
04-09-2013, 06:46 PM
I hope Trent stops dying it when he gets grey hair. I honestly think grey hair is awesome if you style it right.

sheepdean
04-09-2013, 07:02 PM
He is a hard working father at the age of 47. He def. already has a grey or two.

butter_hole
04-09-2013, 07:10 PM
there's a track on the new knife album (full of fire) that has a synth line that sounds a lot like their (olof's) remix of me, im not

sick among the pure
04-09-2013, 09:22 PM
He's not dying it black to cover up the grays, he's dying it black (I would assume) because he's been dying it black for touring since he became a musician. Look at any promo or live performance photo of Trent since he started NIN. Dreads, short, covered in mud, long, "emo", buzzed, his hair has always been dyed black. Not because he's hiding his age. Considering it's rare to find a photo of him with his natural brown (with red highlight in certain lighting), I don't see why this would ever be an issue. I mean, when he's 90 and wrinkly but dyes his hair black and it doesn't look right anymore, I could see questioning it.

sheepdean
04-09-2013, 09:26 PM
http://www.topnews.in/files/Tom-Jones.jpg

scorpiusdiamond
04-11-2013, 10:34 AM
From NIN Spotting: SWEET MOTHER OF GOD TRENT ALMOST PRODUCED THE NEW QUEENS RECORD (http://www.nme.com/news/queens-of-the-stone-age/69648)
That would've probably given me a heart attack

staleincense
04-11-2013, 12:50 PM
It turns out that The Hand That Feeds transitions into Happiness in Slavery pretty well, for some weird reason.

dominik
04-16-2013, 06:30 AM
Maybe for every US festival date in Fall there will also be HTDA playing.

eversonpoe
04-16-2013, 05:33 PM
just posted over in the vinyl collectors unite thread, but i'm SO HAPPY that i finally own halo 9 on vinyl!!!

eversonpoe
04-20-2013, 12:12 AM
tonight, i discovered that you can buy things on discogs.com

goodbye, money. hello rare versions of halos...

gorast
05-02-2013, 03:34 PM
http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2013/05/new-nine-inch-nails-song-arriving-june-6

Oh? I fucking hope so.

screwdriver
05-02-2013, 04:30 PM
http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2013/05/new-nine-inch-nails-song-arriving-june-6

Oh? I fucking hope so.

this highlights one of the many hilarious things about antiquiet... a 100 word (hit-whoring) article about their retweet of a subsequently deleted tweet by a DJ in Seattle.

I would love to hear new NIN and hope its true. But... come on.

sheepdean
05-02-2013, 04:47 PM
If you tell Trent you know when it will come out, he'll push it back a week to spite you.

DigitalChaos
05-02-2013, 05:03 PM
This might be the tiniest, most inconsequential thing I've ever seen people bitch about on here.

And this is ETS.
Seriously. I mean, there are more important things like the color of his stubble.
Raise your hand if you think he dyes his stubble:
http://i.imgur.com/4YJ2GXB.jpg

sheepdean
05-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Michael Trent Reznor is an anagram of "Leech, Torrent, RAM. Zin."

So, his name is a hidden message telling us to always seed and that Zinfandel is a really nice wine.

What do you mean I have too much time on my hands?

DigitalChaos
05-02-2013, 06:28 PM
I prefer: Mr. Necrotize Enthral

Eternal Micron Hertz

Altern Inch Term Zero

butter_hole
05-02-2013, 06:36 PM
this highlights one of the many hilarious things about antiquiet... a 100 word (hit-whoring) article about their retweet of a subsequently deleted tweet by a DJ in Seattle.

I would love to hear new NIN and hope its true. But... come on.
Isn't the dude that wrote that a member here?

joplinpicasso
05-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Ah, this page of the RNC thread reminded me of days when I was first getting into NIN ;)

allegro
05-02-2013, 10:03 PM
We knew it when we saw the Red Robe picture. We're not allowed to post that on here anymore. :D

How did I never see this until now (http://trentreznoraseveryone.tumblr.com/page/18)?

Baphomette
05-03-2013, 01:59 AM
How did I never see this until now (http://trentreznoraseveryone.tumblr.com/page/18)?

That's the most beautiful piece of random TR-related nonsense I've ever seen.

slave2thewage
05-03-2013, 09:34 AM
I love the whole "Trent, grow old gracefully" thing in here. He's 47, not a 60 year old covering himself in nasty, cheap dye. Oh, this fandom.

PhoenixML
05-03-2013, 12:26 PM
We knew it when we saw the Red Robe picture. We're not allowed to post that on here anymore. :D

What the!!! (rolling on the floor at work laughing my ass off and people are staring)

DigitalChaos
05-03-2013, 01:12 PM

The reflection on this one is pissing me off so much: http://trentreznoraseveryone.tumblr.com/post/5587725019/happy-birthday-trent

butter_hole
05-03-2013, 07:09 PM
~~MQ totally posted a picture of the Reznor kid on instagram~~

facepalm away people. your hate flows over me.

allegro
05-03-2013, 09:28 PM
~~MQ totally posted a picture of the Reznor kid on instagram
KidS. Both kids. Very cute picture.

slave2thewage
05-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Is that pic the new forbidden one? Can we post Red Robe again?

FernandoDante
05-04-2013, 12:44 AM
~~MQ totally posted a picture of the Reznor kid on instagram~~

facepalm away people. your hate flows over me.
Why do I always see the same people facepalming posts?

Zipfinator
05-04-2013, 12:50 AM

Only the admins can facepalm.

WorzelG
05-04-2013, 04:40 AM
KidS. Both kids. Very cute picture.

It makes me glad she feels she can publish that without being trolled now

dominik
05-04-2013, 04:58 AM
awww. Adorable :)

sheepdean
05-04-2013, 06:08 AM
Because we're awesome

icklekitty
05-04-2013, 06:08 AM
is that pic the new forbidden one? Can we post red robe again?

how did i forget about red robe!!!

scorpiusdiamond
05-04-2013, 02:41 PM
There was a post on old ETS about talking about Trent's personal life, am I right? It's hardly a random NIN thought...

Fangster_
05-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Oh, there was an Avengers trailer featuring WITT. Why am I only learning this now. Looked up and came a little.

Also still can't get over the name Lazarus Echo Reznor. The badassest thing. Ever.

allegro
05-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Two Zs in your name is pretty unusual.

FernandoDante
05-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Oh, there was an Avengers trailer featuring WITT. Why am I only learning this now. Looked up and came a little.

Also still can't get over the name Lazarus Echo Reznor. The badassest thing. Ever.

cooler than Orryn Ryder I guess.

Collin
05-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Jesus, The Slip is five years old today. I was 16. I still remember how excited I was the morning it was released. Damn, good times.

ImTheWiseJanitor
05-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Jesus, The Slip is five years old today. I was 16. I still remember how excited I was the morning it was released. Damn, good times.

Damn. I can remember when that thing came out. It was my birthday, and I skipped my last two classes that day and just blasted the new album in my car and drove to Wichita and back. Now I guess I need to give it a spin 5 years later, while I spend my birthday doing homework!

hobochic
05-05-2013, 02:30 PM
5 years? shit. We're clearly floating in hyperspace.

[Shep]
05-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Seriously?
I was at Uni staying up late and refreshing nin.com every few minutes in the run-up to it.

what's the longest wait between NIN albums to date?

Edit: it's the 5 years, six months between TDS and TF.
So if we don't have a new album by November it'll be the longest quiet period in NIN's History

sheepdean
05-05-2013, 04:02 PM
;84928']
what's the longest wait between NIN albums to date?

Edit: it's the 5 years, six months between TDS and TF.
So if we don't have a new album by November it'll be the longest quiet period in NIN's History
Well, if you don't count AATCHB as an album (cause live albums and their bonus EPs don't count), then it's TF/WT with 5 years 7 months.

Harry Seaward
05-05-2013, 10:14 PM
So I'm a little drunk and was looking for some cheery drinking music and I stumbled across The Fragile.

I'll tell you guys how it goes...

sheepdean
05-05-2013, 10:29 PM
The longest acronym for a NIN song is NHANNTNHANN.

blassster
05-05-2013, 11:05 PM
So I'm a little drunk and was looking for some cheery drinking music and I stumbled across The Fragile.

I'll tell you guys how it goes...

I hope it's... JUST LIKE YOU IMAGINED. BBBBWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAAAA aaaaaaaaaaa *disintegrates*

Harry Seaward
05-05-2013, 11:46 PM
I'll post how cheery and fun that was after I pick myself up from a sobbing, naked ball on my floor.

Warped_Savant
05-06-2013, 12:33 AM

If I were to abbreviate it with what I call it, it'd be AMMO
A Million Minus One

fillow
05-06-2013, 02:47 AM
How does anyone pronounce the song usually anyway?

Zipfinator
05-06-2013, 02:49 AM

You're not supposed to use "and" when speaking numbers aloud.

sheepdean
05-06-2013, 07:50 AM
...according to who? I mean, the fastest way to write it would be (10↑6)-1, but spoken I don't know anyone who wouldn't use ands. Do you really say a hundred one?

(I feel this is an American thing)

How does anyone pronounce the song usually anyway?
In my head I just see the number, because I think mathematically. When spoken aloud ... well that doesn't come up much thankfully, but I might cheat and say nine nine nine nine nine nine nine or the one with the nines.

GibbonBlack
05-06-2013, 08:15 AM

eh? That just sounds weird

eversonpoe
05-06-2013, 08:36 AM
technically, when describing a number, "and" indicates a decimal place, and should not be said (or written, in long form) unless a decimal is present. i.e. when you write a personal check for $1,175.50 it would be "one thousand one hundred seventy five AND 50/100" if you wrote "one thousand one hundred AND seventy five AND 50/100" it would be incorrect.

sheepdean
05-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Well, outside of writingg cheques, I'd say one thousand one hundred and seventy five point 5, not "and 5"

#realtalk

fillow
05-06-2013, 09:57 AM
In my head I just see the number, because I think mathematically. When spoken aloud ... well that doesn't come up much thankfully, but I might cheat and say nine nine nine nine nine nine nine or the one with the nines.

I usually go with 'Nines' (as in- some unknown number of 9's), but often translated into russian ('devyatki')

eversonpoe
05-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Well, outside of writingg cheques, I'd say one thousand one hundred and seventy five point 5, not "and 5"

#realtalk

i had some really strict math(s) teachers when i was younger, so it's always been drilled into my head that "and=decimal"

Vertigo
05-06-2013, 12:22 PM
I just call it Diet One Million.

JamesCmuse
05-06-2013, 12:28 PM
I came on here to all this talk about decimal places... what does it matter?

jessamineny
05-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Welcome to Five Years Since A New NIN Record.

slave2thewage
05-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Only the admins can facepalm.
Beware of TEH CLIQUE!

gorast
05-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Is anyone else kind of surprised that NIN is officially acknowledging and (sort of) releasing the Broken movie all of a sudden? It's up on Vimeo, completely uncensored, and was linked to on Tumblr and Twitter.

BRoswell
05-06-2013, 01:27 PM
It's not 1992 anymore. There are relatively tame horror films out there right now that have (in my opinion) more blood and guts and general ickiness than the Broken Movie. There's no sense in hiding it anymore. Also, considering that Trent is working with Interscope on the Greatest Hits album, I imagine they okay'd it. Or maybe, as Trent put it a few years ago, "you don't want to ask me that question". :p

jessamineny
05-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Is anyone else kind of surprised that NIN is officially acknowledging and (sort of) releasing the Broken movie all of a sudden? It's up on Vimeo, completely uncensored, and was linked to on Tumblr and Twitter.

No. They've been regularly releasing a wide variety of stuff from the vaults since early March.

sheepdean
05-06-2013, 02:38 PM
I'd still love an official Broken DVD/BD with commentary and any bonus features that might be possible

slave2thewage
05-06-2013, 02:54 PM
They already released it in 2006.

dominik
05-06-2013, 03:00 PM

Not surprised that they are acknowledging it, but it was kind of a thing that the casual NIN fans had no idea about, which made it cool.

gorast
05-06-2013, 03:03 PM
And there it goes. It was up for like, what, half a day?

dominik
05-06-2013, 03:09 PM
And there it goes. It was up for like, what, half a day?

Long enough that the people from The Verge apparently want to write an article about it.

Frozen Beach
05-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Vimeo removed it, are you fucking kidding me?

BRoswell
05-06-2013, 04:27 PM
*sigh* At least I've got the DVD.

I've seen more violent stuff on Vimeo, but I'm guessing this is more about the tone of the violence than the amount. Vimeo seems more relaxed than YouTube, but they still have a line. Oh well.

Fangster_
05-06-2013, 05:28 PM
It's been on Vimeo before, still is. Infact I watched it just last week, here: http://vimeo.com/24449527 (http://vimeo.com/24449527) (it's kinda out of sight but google digs up anything).

Made me uneasy, and I loved it. If only Last could've been there in some form.

eversonpoe
05-06-2013, 05:56 PM
If only Last could've been there in some form.

i've always wondered why last wasn't part of the film (and why it was the only non-hidden track on the album not to get some kind of video).

Warped_Savant
05-06-2013, 07:19 PM
Re: "and" -- You can do it either way. Nine hundred ninety-nine thousand, nine hundred ninety-nine is just as acceptable as Nine hundred and ninety-nine thousand, nine hundred and ninety-nine.

Re: What to call it -- I've always said "A million minus one". I do a similar thing when talking about something that costs $999.99 (A thousand minus a penny)

Hazekiah
05-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Considering the fact that it's a song by NINE Inch Nails, I've always thought it best to properly enunciate ALL the nines...no matter how awkward it may seem in conversation.

sheepdean
05-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Let's just hope Trent never records a song called Graham's Number

slave2thewage
05-06-2013, 08:38 PM
RE: Last video - There were a lot of rumours before the trading of the Broken film became commonplace that some versions had a video for Last. I'm guessing this is bullshit though.

Hazekiah
05-06-2013, 08:47 PM
I also remember hearing rumors of there actually being a video for "Help Me I am in Hell" buried beneath the black screen as it plays during the film, which could be found if you just adjusted your TV's settings appropriately. I toyed with it for untold hours on countless TV sets at the time. No dice. Every once in a while I'd try it again when I'd manage to track down a higher-quality copy, lol. Just more bullshit.

elementroejoy
05-07-2013, 09:48 AM
I also remember hearing rumors of there actually being a video for "Help Me I am in Hell" buried beneath the black screen as it plays during the film, which could be found if you just adjusted your TV's settings appropriately. I toyed with it for untold hours on countless TV sets at the time. No dice. Every once in a while I'd try it again when I'd manage to track down a higher-quality copy, lol. Just more bullshit.
But there actually is a video for it
help me i am in hell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBOhQamGGuI)

Hazekiah
05-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Well, yeah...I'm well aware of that. And it's a great video! Let me know if you ever unlock the secret to viewing it (or any other video) buried beneath the black screen as it plays during the movie after you've adjusted your TV's settings appropriately, lol. :P

BenAkenobi
05-07-2013, 11:49 AM
it was a rumour that the blacked out Help me i am in hell was a kind of watermark, a trick to know who distributed the thing back then

butter_hole
05-07-2013, 04:25 PM
it was a rumour that the blacked out Help me i am in hell was a kind of watermark, a trick to know who distributed the thing back then
pretty sure TR confirmed this, then kinda blamed gibby haynes for it?

sheepdean
05-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Trent KNEW it was Gibby Haynes, he didn't just blame him

hobochic
05-07-2013, 05:22 PM
Ah, Trent the constant plotter. Before teh interwebz, there was Gibby, always delivering the goods.

http://www.comicartcollective.com/artImages/C9BEAC13-3048-77F0-119E6CF9A36EDFCC.jpg

Hazekiah
05-07-2013, 06:03 PM

pretty sure TR confirmed this, then kinda blamed gibby haynes for it?

Trent KNEW it was Gibby Haynes, he didn't just blame him

Now THIS is really interesting!

While we're on the subject, would anyone happen to have a direct quote from either or both of them pertaining to this subject? I'd love to hear more about it.

Hahaha...it figures that the one rumor which was true would take TWENTY FUCKING YEARS to reach me, lol.

sheepdean
05-07-2013, 06:06 PM
http://www.ninwiki.com/images/7/72/5_07_04questions3.gif

BenAkenobi
05-08-2013, 12:06 AM
it's so uplifting to see how y'all talk about that guy like he lives next door to you :D

sick among the pure
05-08-2013, 01:02 AM
it's so uplifting to see how y'all talk about that guy like he lives next door to you :D

Don't be silly, he doesn't live next door, I live in his bushes.

fillow
05-08-2013, 03:24 AM
Oh right, Closure DVD. Next year is 10th anniversary of its cancellation :)

blassster
05-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Sometimes I think of "the smell of sunshine" quote when I do a clothes wash... and this has been happening for almost a decade.

eversonpoe
05-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Sometimes I think of "the smell of sunshine" quote when I do a clothes wash... and this has been happening for almost a decade.

someone needs to market laundry detergent to the NIN fanbase...

blassster
05-10-2013, 08:45 PM
someone needs to market laundry detergent to the NIN fanbase...

There's a dark wash, black as your soul joke in here somewhere (but I'm not clever enough)

Hazekiah
05-10-2013, 10:41 PM
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4149/5040116927_067bfbff05_z.jpg

wizfan
05-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Heresy (Blind) might as well be my favorite pre-2005 remix, right up there with Closer (Percursor), the one that got me into NIN (thanks, Se7en!), Ruiner (Version), Happiness in Slavery from Fixed (not Screaming Slave), Benelli's The Frail and, of course, Uncoiled. Closer (Deviation) is pretty sweet, too. I've also found remixes that almost completely deviate from the originals to be funny, such as Spacetime Continuum's Perfect Drug and Olof Dreijer's Me, I'm Not.

Fangster_
05-13-2013, 09:16 AM
My PHM 2010 shirt has 2 out of 3 backwards N's. Intentional or not? Either way OCD brain no like.

http://i39.tinypic.com/98wyle.jpg

eversonpoe
05-13-2013, 12:33 PM
My PHM 2010 shirt has 2 out of 3 backwards N's. Intentional or not? Either way OCD brain no like.

http://i39.tinypic.com/98wyle.jpg

i think you mean 3 out of 4

Fangster_
05-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Well fuckkk.

Yeah.

eversonpoe
05-13-2013, 10:32 PM
anyway, yeah...i hadn't noticed that before on the PHM re-master (and any merch corresponding to it). seems kind of odd...

blassster
05-13-2013, 11:25 PM
Weird. The official merch site's image for that shirt shows all Ns as backwards. Early flaw that was later corrected?

scorpiusdiamond
05-14-2013, 12:15 PM
There's a brief snippet of Trent towards the end of this... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdiSbAaVICc)

There's a brief snippet of Trent towards the end of this... (1:23)

ManBurning
05-16-2013, 03:55 AM
I forgot how awesome "The Perfect Drug (versions)" were. I just decided to throw them on just now for the first time in probably over a decade, classic stuff!

katara
05-17-2013, 03:01 AM
I forgot how awesome "The Perfect Drug (versions)" were. I just decided to throw them on just now for the first time in probably over a decade, classic stuff!
The one thing that bugs me about it is that the lyrics are so repetitive. There's so much more to the song than just "You are the perfect drug the perfect drug the perfect drug."

ManBurning
05-17-2013, 03:28 AM
The one thing that bugs me about it is that the lyrics are so repetitive. There's so much more to the song than just "You are the perfect drug the perfect drug the perfect drug."

The only logical explanation behind this is that Trent probably only gave that one vocal sample to all the remixers/collaborators involved with the project.

EDIT: I stand corrected, "take me...with you" is also repeated over and over and over again, lol.

artdeco
05-17-2013, 05:47 AM

Back when I was a janitor as a student at Michigan State University in 1997 (yeah, I was boss), I would play that CD while I was cleaning toilets. Made the job bearable. I've always thought those remixes are fantastic, particularly Plug's remix. I still listen to those mixes frequently; they never get old for me.

ManBurning
05-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Plug is the best mix for sure, followed by the Spacetime Continiuum one.

eversonpoe
05-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Plug is the best mix for sure, followed by the Spacetime Continiuum one.

i've always been really partial to the NIN remix. it's definitely the most unsettling.

frankie teardrop
05-17-2013, 02:53 PM
i loved that single, and like all the mixes except the vinyl-only aphrodite mix. my least favorite of the standard CD was the orb remix, which was disappointing as they're my favorite of the external remixers as far as their own original music is concerned...

scorpiusdiamond
05-17-2013, 02:53 PM
http://distilleryimage5.ak.instagram.com/ce8ea086bf2311e2b55122000a1f9be7_7.jpg
What a pair of handsomes.

Fangster_
05-17-2013, 03:40 PM
Aww. Matching 'burns and everything. I can honestly look at this and see father with son.

-EDIT-

On another note: I'm almost sure you've all read Rob's interview on reworking the PHM artwork (http://sleevage.com/nin-pretty-hate-machine/), but with a passion for graphic design and as a student of the game I found it particularily interesting. I look up to Rob and his work and wish to take over his job become equally awesome.

MAD
05-18-2013, 05:01 PM
THARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR\
http://i.imgur.com/bBkGQfR.gif

wizfan
05-18-2013, 05:05 PM
^ Yaaaaaaay!

eversonpoe
05-18-2013, 05:05 PM
if you look at it for too long, it looks like it came out of the video for take on me.

joplinpicasso
05-18-2013, 06:03 PM
I'm glad that this exists in 2013:
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/37096005.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/RMivD5V.jpg

katara
05-20-2013, 11:04 AM
i've always been really partial to the NIN remix. it's definitely the most unsettling.
The NIN remixes are pretty much always the stand-out tracks. Think about it.

Head Like A Hole [opal]
Happiness In Slavery [remix]
Throw This Away
All The Pigs, All Lined Up
Closer To God
The Art of Self Destruction, Part One
The Beauty of Being Numb [section a]
The Perfect Drug [Nine Inch Nails]
The Day The World Went Away [quiet]
Slipping Away
The Great Collapse
Still [all of it]

All of these are clearly the highlights of their respective EPs. It's such a shame that he stopped doing remixes since [WITH_TEETH] was released. I was especially disappointed with Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D because of this.

screwdriver
05-20-2013, 11:07 AM

Head Like A Hole [opal]
Throw This Away
Closer To God
Slipping Away
The Great Collapse
Still [all of it]

All of these are clearly the highlights of their respective EPs. It's such a shame that he stopped doing remixes since [WITH_TEETH] was released. I was especially disappointed with Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D because of this.

I think you're right, but I also wouldn't put down the excellent non-nin remixes out there. that plug perfect drug remix was amazing. coil's closer remixes were great. the faint and ladytron had great remixes on yearzeroremixed.

Fangster_
05-20-2013, 02:35 PM
I'm not huge on remixes, but man, TDS (The Bottom). That shit fucking scares me. I wanna do drugs and loop it endlessly.

katara
05-20-2013, 05:32 PM
I think you're right, but I also wouldn't put down the excellent non-nin remixes out there. that plug perfect drug remix was amazing. coil's closer remixes were great. the faint and ladytron had great remixes on yearzeroremixed.
Yes, but the NIN remixes are so unique, mostly because TR goes all the way with re-recording vocals etc. That along with his production makes them especially drool-worthy.

Many of the TDS era remixes are fantastic. I think virtually everything on the Closer To God and FDTS EPs is worth hearing. I am also personally extremely fond of Things Falling Apart, particularly Where Is Everybody? [version].
[WITH_TEETH] remixes were tedious for the most part. Almost no creativity in them whatsoever apart from El-P's mix of Only and Photek's THTF [ruff mix]. Right Where It Belongs v2 is great, though, but we all know why that is!

I really like the first three and last three tracks YZR. The Warning and Meet Your Master are also good. But the rest is either boring or dire. The Vessel 'remix' on there is absolutely rubbish; I've heard fan remixes much better than that. Vessel is a cool song, but that thing is just a regurgitation of the original with some levels tweaked and an extra layer of drums that doesn't stick around long enough. If Trent's still into remixes in the next NIN era, I hope they're better than what they've become in recent years.

seasonsinthesky
05-20-2013, 05:53 PM

Head Like A Hole [opal]
Throw This Away
Closer To God
Slipping Away
The Great Collapse
Still [all of it]

mostly agreed, but The Great Collapse isn't a remix (for the millionth time!).

i find it so strange that the NIN remix of TPD turned out that way. i like it, but it's absolutely nothing like the original, and methinks it's actually a better fit for Lost Highway. we know TR isn't a huge fan of the original song, so is the remix what he actually wanted, or did he just want to fuck with it?

screwdriver
05-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Yes, but the NIN remixes are so unique, mostly because TR goes all the way with re-recording vocals etc. That along with his production makes them especially drool-worthy.

Many of the TDS era remixes are fantastic. I think virtually everything on the Closer To God and FDTS EPs is worth hearing. I am also personally extremely fond of Things Falling Apart, particularly Where Is Everybody? [version].
[WITH_TEETH] remixes were tedious for the most part. Almost no creativity in them whatsoever apart from El-P's mix of Only and Photek's THTF [ruff mix]. Right Where It Belongs v2 is great, though, but we all know why that is!

I really like the first three and last three tracks YZR. The Warning and Meet Your Master are also good. But the rest is either boring or dire. The Vessel 'remix' on there is absolutely rubbish; I've heard fan remixes much better than that. Vessel is a cool song, but that thing is just a regurgitation of the original with some levels tweaked and an extra layer of drums that doesn't stick around long enough. If Trent's still into remixes in the next NIN era, I hope they're better than what they've become in recent years.

oh man, el-p's only mix... so good! gonna listen to that now

[Shep]
05-20-2013, 06:25 PM
So, there's rumors flying around of a new song dropping in the next few weeks, there's a world tour, and they're planning on revamping nin.com

all things that tend to happen just before a new album drops..
just putting it out there (i'm prepared to be very wrong on this)