PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Halo Infinity
07-19-2014, 01:11 PM
I just realized how ridiculous The Frail into Happiness In Slavery could be.
I could actually see The Mark Has Been Made into Happiness In Slavery doing well.

Scarlet Siren
07-19-2014, 09:06 PM
No. Just no.
http://instagram.com/p/qe6QuCBuy_/?modal=true

That t-shirt is fucking hideous.

Charmingly Miserable
07-19-2014, 10:38 PM
No. Just no.
http://instagram.com/p/qe6QuCBuy_/?modal=true

OMG. That shirt is real. Saw it on a merch photo on twitter.

implanted_microchip
07-20-2014, 12:09 AM
I wanted to make a joke about ending the show with The Frail, then I realized it actually happened...
When did this happen?

fillow
07-20-2014, 05:05 AM
When did this happen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wS_bk7Y6fE

niggo
07-20-2014, 05:35 AM
Has "All The Pigs, All Lined Up" ever been played live? I'd love to hear that. At best towards the end, maybe before the encore.

The whole second section of that song has an amazing feel to it, as if it would summarize the whole NIN thing. I'm pretty sure everyone would just explode.

sheepdean
07-20-2014, 05:45 AM
Has "All The Pigs, All Lined Up" ever been played live? I'd love to hear that. At best towards the end, maybe before the encore.

The whole second section of that song has an amazing feel to it, as if it would summarize the whole NIN thing. I'm pretty sure everyone would just explode.
http://www.nintourhistory.com/songs.php
Not yet

seasonsinthesky
07-20-2014, 11:49 AM
it doesn't make much sense to play ATPALU when it's just MOTP in regular 4/4 (removing part of why it's become so well known and unique) and they already use it as a blueprint for the live-only coda.

Scarlet Siren
07-20-2014, 12:13 PM
Looking at that setlist, and those photos from Vegas, I'm glad I saved myself a plane fare and several hundred £££ for everything else and decided to sit this tour out. I'd have been mad at flying all the way over to the US only to see the Euro festival show set up that I saw 5 times last year.

Plus sitting at a NIN show sucks.

Digital Twilight
07-20-2014, 12:47 PM
Yeah sitting down can suck (although I really enjoyed that in Nottingham) however seeing NIN and Soundgarden in the same night is just mind blowing.

Scarlet Siren
07-20-2014, 01:09 PM
Yeah sitting down can suck (although I really enjoyed that in Nottingham) however seeing NIN and Soundgarden in the same night is just mind blowing.

I'd be there in a heartbeat if those shows were in the UK, I love SG but not enough to go to the US. Obviously I love NIN having already seen 3 legs of the tour, I'm very, very happy and don't have any desire to see more.

WorzelG
07-20-2014, 01:36 PM
I'd be there in a heartbeat if those shows were in the UK, I love SG but not enough to go to the US. Obviously I love NIN having already seen 3 legs of the tour, I'm very, very happy and don't have any desire to see more.
I wish I'd been able to see Tension but having two young children, the timing was just not good. If I'd known Reading was going to be so fucked up, I'd have tried to go to see the festival shows in Paris or Belfast, sigh!

niggo
07-20-2014, 04:12 PM
it doesn't make much sense to play ATPALU when it's just MOTP in regular 4/4 (removing part of why it's become so well known and unique) and they already use it as a blueprint for the live-only coda.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying. I bet 90% of the audience wouldn't even notice the change to regular 4/4 when listening to ATPALU. To me it's the second half that defines the song the most.

Hey, if it was up to me they could just play regular MOTP and then jump to ATPALU at the end.

fillow
07-20-2014, 04:23 PM
Hey, if it was up to me they could just play regular MOTP and then jump to ATPALU at the end.

Um, isn't it exactly what they been doing for last 20 years?

Scarlet Siren
07-20-2014, 04:36 PM
I wish I'd been able to see Tension but having two young children, the timing was just not good. If I'd known Reading was going to be so fucked up, I'd have tried to go to see the festival shows in Paris or Belfast, sigh!

Yeah, I missed shows in the past due to various commitments, it's tough. I only decided to see Tension after I came home from Milan and a friend convinced me to make it out to the West Coast. I wish I went to the Paris festival, I made a big mistake there but to make it there with Leeds and Reading on either side of that show was near impossible. Belfast was a lot of fun!

niggo
07-21-2014, 02:14 AM
Um, isn't it exactly what they been doing for last 20 years?

Not at all. They're playing an extended ending which is obviously inspired by ATPALU, but it's not the real thing. Not even close.

seasonsinthesky
07-21-2014, 12:24 PM
Not at all. They're playing an extended ending which is obviously inspired by ATPALU, but it's not the real thing. Not even close.

you're certainly the only person i've seen since 2001 even mention that it'd be worth anything to play that remix. i guess someone, somewhere eventually had to learn to like the weirdly repetitive extra 4 minutes of nothing in particular, just like i'm sure there is someone out there who likes the NIN remix of "The Perfect Drug" more than the original.

jmtd
07-21-2014, 12:54 PM
you're certainly the only person i've seen since 2001 even mention that it'd be worth anything to play that remix. i guess someone, somewhere eventually had to learn to like the weirdly repetitive extra 4 minutes of nothing in particular, just like i'm sure there is someone out there who likes the NIN remix of "The Perfect Drug" more than the original.

I prefer ATPALU to MOTP too.

dvdglss
07-21-2014, 12:55 PM
... just like i'm sure there is someone out there who likes the NIN remix of "The Perfect Drug" more than the original.

heh... funny you should mention that.

I think the NIN remix of TPD would be easier to do live. I would LOVE to hear that version live.

eversonpoe
07-21-2014, 02:18 PM

heh... funny you should mention that.

I think the NIN remix of TPD would be easier to do live. I would LOVE to hear that version live.

i love the NIN remix of the perfect drug, and i think it's definitely the best of the remixes. it's terrifying and haunting and beautiful.

Sarah K
07-22-2014, 12:50 AM
Some guy on fetlife was chatting with me about NIN.

He said: "time flies
i liked them when hole in the head came out"

So then I lol'd and blocked him.

tony.parente
07-22-2014, 01:32 AM
Trent should do a "beats" tour where he plays the top 20 most played nin tracks on the beats music app.

closer
hurt
the hand that feeds
head like a hole
every day is exactly the same
only
we’re in this together
copy of a
the frail
all the love in the world
wish
just like you imagined
the perfect drug
march of the pigs
came back haunted
somewhat damaged
mr self destruct
piggy
the day the world went away
right where it belongs

hani
07-23-2014, 03:20 PM
Trent should do a "beats" tour where he plays the top 20 most played nin tracks on the beats music app.

closer
hurt
the hand that feeds
head like a hole
every day is exactly the same
only
we’re in this together
copy of a
the frail
all the love in the world
wish
just like you imagined
the perfect drug
march of the pigs
came back haunted
somewhat damaged
mr self destruct
piggy
the day the world went away
right where it belongs

holy shit that would make a perfect setlist

fillow
07-23-2014, 04:07 PM
in that order!
imagine wtf reaction at everyone's faces when show starts with Closer into Hurt

implanted_microchip
07-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Not sure where to share this but considering a couple of you all encouraged me to do it, I'm now the proud owner of this:

http://i.imgur.com/sKYc7CT.jpg

If you're at the West Palm Beach show, you'll see me in this.

tony.parente
07-23-2014, 04:12 PM
Not sure where to share this but considering a couple of you all encouraged me to do it, I'm now the proud owner of this:

My jealousy is ugly.

cahernandez
07-23-2014, 04:16 PM

That's a better shirt than all the official shirts from the 2013/2014 run. Good job. Speaking of this, what's up with those goth/The Cure (self-titled album)-themed shirts? They look like a joke, something Meathead would make. The ones without those gothy cartoons look like bootleg shirts. Like someone else said, the artwork Russell Mills created for HM could had been GREAT material for really good looking shirts, opportunity wasted.

The best NIN shirts I've seen were The Slip-related ones, I'm a proud owner of a Demon Seed shirt. Some of the Wave Goodbye shirts also come to mind.

Joy Prevention Hotline
07-23-2014, 05:42 PM
The best NIN shirts I've seen were The Slip-related ones, I'm a proud owner of a Demon Seed shirt. Some of the Wave Goodbye shirts also come to mind.
My dearly departed Head Down shirt is the only t-shirt that ever disintegrated on me — and I've got shirts going all the way back to the 80s. Obviously not meant to last. :(

implanted_microchip
07-23-2014, 05:45 PM
Obviously not meant to last. :(

Was it for right now?

tony.parente
07-23-2014, 05:56 PM
Was it for right now?

I gave up trying to figure it out....the tour merch for the last 9 years that is.

Charmingly Miserable
07-23-2014, 08:19 PM
I'm now the proud owner of this:

Where did you get this because I want one.

GibbonBlack
07-23-2014, 09:55 PM
Where did you get this because I want one.

ditto

[this will surely make it up to ten characters. I'll type more, just to be sure]

implanted_microchip
07-23-2014, 10:10 PM
Are Amazon links okay around here?

Because if they are, then here you go: http://www.amazon.com/Lectro-Nails-Industrial-Music-T-Shirt/dp/B00G3AFEZM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1406171414&sr=8-3&keywords=nine+inch+nails+lectro

I was just searching around Amazon one day and stumbled upon none other than the shade-glassed Trent glaring back at me, arms crossed (presumably right before delivering a Crack Slap Clap Trap) and I knew what I had to do.

Yoshata
07-24-2014, 12:17 AM
Both NIN and Soundgarden have a song named Head Down. I realized this a long time ago, but I forgot about it until just a moment ago.

tony.parente
07-24-2014, 12:25 AM
Both NIN and Soundgarden have a song named Head Down. I realized this a long time ago, but I forgot about it until just a moment ago.
They should cover each others versions for lols

Omega
07-24-2014, 12:32 AM
Just recently noticed that Closer ending to Beginning remix, derp.

BenAkenobi
07-24-2014, 02:12 AM
By the way, was that sampled or re-recorded?

wizfan
07-24-2014, 02:28 AM
By the way, was that sampled or re-recorded?

Probably re-recorded. Ladytron are pretty good at synth-wizardry!

Joy Prevention Hotline
07-24-2014, 01:10 PM
Are Amazon links okay around here?

Because if they are, then here you go: http://www.amazon.com/Lectro-Nails-Industrial-Music-T-Shirt/dp/B00G3AFEZM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1406171414&sr=8-3&keywords=nine+inch+nails+lectro

I was just searching around Amazon one day and stumbled upon none other than the shade-glassed Trent glaring back at me, arms crossed (presumably right before delivering a Crack Slap Clap Trap) and I knew what I had to do.
I'd better get one now or I'll never forgive myself. Even more, I wanna see the look on Trent's face if he notices you. :p

Halo Infinity
07-24-2014, 01:37 PM
Looking back, I just love how Kinda I Want To is right after Something I Can Never Have. It really is something as to how the mind can fantasize and wander when it comes to craving somebody you can't have or shouldn't have, even when you don't actually go out of your way to have a physical affair. The overall feel and vibe of Pretty Hate Machine also matches up very well with my experiences regarding infatuation and lust.

I also still imagine as to how Kinda I Want To would sound live these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC6RFjgOncE

nooneimportant
07-25-2014, 06:24 AM
If Trent were to ever perform Kinda I Want To live again, then I'm pretty positive he would change it like he did Sanctified. Sanctified has had a bunch of different sounding versions over the years.

sheepdean
07-25-2014, 10:18 AM
I'd love to hear PHM live in full, but done in the newer style of things (as much as I love synthpop, I also love evolution in music)

seasonsinthesky
07-25-2014, 12:48 PM
funny that HLAH, DII and TOT had only minor variations, "Sin" and TL are the same arrangements but with distinctive additions, "Sanctified" has be re- and re-dressed in several major overhauls, but SICNH has gone without particularly noticeable changes since its live debut. i guess TR has remained happy with it (how odd!).

kel
07-25-2014, 03:24 PM
a friend of mine just said that he thinks "march of the pigs" is about watching someone take a shit. lolwut?

Kyle
07-25-2014, 03:42 PM
a friend of mine just said that he thinks "march of the pigs" is about watching someone take a shit. lolwut?

Dont like the smell of it

thats about all I've got.

GibbonBlack
07-25-2014, 08:52 PM
Dont like the smell of it

thats about all I've got.

PUSH!

[ten.]

Yoshata
07-25-2014, 09:39 PM

That's horrible and awesome. I literally laughed out loud and still am.

"DON'T LIKE THE LOOK OF IT
DON'T LIKE THE TASTE OF IT
DON'T LIKE THE SMELL OF IT
I WANNA WATCH IT COME DOOOWN"

katara
07-26-2014, 08:14 AM
funny that HLAH, DII and TOT had only minor variations, "Sin" and TL are the same arrangements but with distinctive additions, "Sanctified" has be re- and re-dressed in several major overhauls, but SICNH has gone without particularly noticeable changes since its live debut. i guess TR has remained happy with it (how odd!).
The Only Time live has an awesome breakdown that makes its studio counterpart seem extremely lacking in comparison. I'd say that's more than a minor variation.

nooneimportant
07-26-2014, 08:31 AM

SICNH has had different instrumentation. In 2009 it was only keyboard and upright bass, in 2013 it returned with synth bass, xylophone and piano.

Joy Prevention Hotline
07-26-2014, 02:34 PM
I'd love to hear PHM live in full, but done in the newer style of things (as much as I love synthpop, I also love evolution in music)
I'm hopeful that someday, when TR gets bored with NIN, he'll rerecord PHM just to give himself something to do.

tony.parente
07-26-2014, 03:18 PM
I doubt it will ever happen, I love PHM to death but some of the lyrics are pretty cringeworthy and I think he would be almost embarrassed to perform some of those songs live. We can always dream though, I would LOVE to hear his original flock of seagulls versions of those tracks from the demos.

Halo Infinity
07-26-2014, 10:02 PM
It turns out that I kept my word with my wedding gift to a fellow high school alumni, with all CDs safe and sound at their apartment. I hope I started them out right. ;)

-Oh crap, the image has vanished.-

Anyway, it was the following for those of you that missed it. :p

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine (1989)
Nine Inch Nails -Broken (1992)
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (1994)
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile (1999)
Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth (2005)

tony.parente
07-26-2014, 10:46 PM
It turns out that I kept my word with my wedding gift to a fellow high school alumni, with all CDs safe and sound at their apartment. I hope I started them out right. ;)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t34.0-12/10566586_715943067294_1316563038_n.jpg?oh=09dc98cc 7789f2187ee535d9775ea6c7&oe=53D651AA&__gda__=1406586156_a1fc1cf371113a336bff8cec3f32ecb 1
The only ones that really matter. Good choices :)

botley
07-27-2014, 01:10 AM
Wow; the trolls — if you feed them, they multiply.

Halo Infinity
07-27-2014, 05:28 PM
billpulsipher - I didn't know where to ask this question, so I thought I'd just post it in this thread. I'm also genuinely curious.

How would you rank With Teeth to Hesitation Marks? (With the first one being the best, and the last one being the worst.)

Charmingly Miserable
07-27-2014, 06:08 PM

I think you're friend is right. I wanna be friends with your friend. I'll never hear MOTP the same way again.

So, Jeordie White got married yesterday. Guess that Trent didn't go..... Lol

billpulsipher
07-27-2014, 06:33 PM
@billpulsipher (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2774) - I didn't know where to ask this question, so I thought I'd just post it in this thread. I'm also genuinely curious.

How would you rank With Teeth to Hesitation Marks? (With the first one being the best, and the last one being the worst.)

I actually think WT is a decent enough album....Just the 2 singles that he plays to death (only/THTF and title track are woeful)...theres actually some good songs on there that he never plays (Everyday/Collector/Love is not enough etc) THTF kind of ruins the image of that album because its such a mainstream poppy song.......

Krazy
07-27-2014, 06:35 PM

Assuming that MOTP will get played at the next show I go (that's a good assumption, right? RIGHT!?) I'll be the dude ROTFLMAO, eventually getting dragged out in a straight jacket due to uncontrollable laughter.

Seriously though, if I'm not shouting the lyrics I'll be giggling. Cannot get NIN poop song out of head!!!!

gorast
07-27-2014, 09:05 PM
I dunno if THTF "ruins" the image of the album, but it certainly skews general opinion in that direction. With Teeth has some incredible tracks on it that don't really make it back into the shows often enough.

tony.parente
07-27-2014, 09:09 PM
The only track that even starts to stick out is only, I think it's almost perfect as is, even without home and non entity.

Ryan
07-27-2014, 09:25 PM
Is this where we talk while the other tour thread is locked?

Ryan
07-27-2014, 09:27 PM
Speaking of With Teeth, I get the obvious meaning of it as an album title because of the heaviness and rawness of a lot of the songs.

How does it fit into the context of the title track though? Is he saying the woman or drug he's talking about keeps coming at him "with teeth" hence the "will not let you go" line? Or did he just decide to use it because it sounds quirky?

Sarah K
07-27-2014, 09:32 PM
I honestly think that With Teeth is one of the best songs about the addiction cycle EVER.

I just always kind of associated it with like... "sinking your teeth into ______". Being consumed and obsessed, etc.

Krazy
07-27-2014, 09:37 PM
Is this where we talk while the other tour thread is locked?

Si senor, en espanol.

Press the SAP button for more info.

Krazy
07-27-2014, 09:39 PM
Speaking of With Teeth, I get the obvious meaning of it as an album title because of the heaviness and rawness of a lot of the songs.

How does it fit into the context of the title track though? Is he saying the woman or drug he's talking about keeps coming at him "with teeth" hence the "will not let you go" line? Or did he just decide to use it because it sounds quirky?

Thats the way I always assumed the song was about. The woman was a metaphor for drug addiction. With Teeth = clamped.

Ryan
07-27-2014, 09:41 PM
nine inch nails. clamped.

I like it.

Frolick Shiawase
07-28-2014, 07:25 AM
I don't know... I have no fucking idea if this was posted before... I stumbled upon this while in the effects of sleep deprivation (How do you spell that?!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5m_CdCzKYY

But this.... I'll leave it hanging here.

katara
07-28-2014, 09:39 AM
(only/THTF and title track are woeful)
Anyone who says this has never seen the song WT live. That bass. That piano break. Those drums. I can't even describe how amazing it is.

jmtd
07-28-2014, 12:11 PM
Anyone who says this has never seen the song WT live. That bass. That piano break. Those drums. I can't even describe how amazing it is.

I saw it the last time it was performed live. Didn't do it for me.

imail724
07-28-2014, 12:12 PM
The title track is one of my favorite songs on that album.

Sarah K
07-28-2014, 12:37 PM
I used to HATE Sunspots. But I've been jamming it a lot lately.

Cannot like Getting Smaller no matter what I do.

Charmingly Miserable
07-28-2014, 02:07 PM
Sunspots is my least favorite on that album.

I wonder if Trent listens to his own music?

Shadaloo
07-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Eraser just gets better and better live to the point where the only possible way he could improve on it would be to unleash a massive swarm of actual bees upon the audience to accompany the background footage and produce mass chaos and panic to accompany the raw, building furor and agony of that song.

It would be a great callback to the insanity of the Self-Destruct tour and it would be awesome because bees everywhere.

Not so hot for the people who get stung, but you gotta take the bad with the good I guess

Vertigo
07-28-2014, 05:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GadTfGFvU

fillow
07-28-2014, 05:51 PM
Eraser just gets better and better live to the point where the only possible way he could improve on it would be to unleash a massive swarm of actual bees upon the audience to accompany the background footage and produce mass chaos and panic to accompany the raw, building furor and agony of that song.
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/7044/oprahbees.gif

Shadaloo
07-28-2014, 06:12 PM
If only I had the skills to edit those into existing live footage

FernandoDante
07-28-2014, 06:23 PM
If only I had the skills to edit those into existing live footage
I thought of making gif of whey protein containers floating on the screen during Find My Whey.

Joy Prevention Hotline
07-28-2014, 07:13 PM
It would be a great callback to the insanity of the Self-Destruct tour and it would be awesome because bees everywhere.
Um, I'll have to pass on the bees. But I would fully support spraying the audience with water.

So, now is when I activate NIN Mode in preparation for tomorrow night.

… Eh, who am I kidding. Anyone who sees me will probably think "Soundgarden fan." Sigh.

icecream
07-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Random ETS thought. Kyle is really funny. Thanks for making me laugh at least once a day.

Ryan
07-28-2014, 07:24 PM
And icecream is yummy.

kel
07-28-2014, 07:26 PM
one sting and i'm dead in probably 15 minutes. i love "eraser" live, too, but ...

Kyle
07-28-2014, 07:29 PM
one sting and i'm dead in probably 15 minutes. i love "eraser" live, too, but ...

And think of how much the ticket prices would go up with that kind of liability insurance.

kel
07-28-2014, 07:32 PM
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/7044/oprahbees.gif
that is the best motherfucking .gif i've ever seen.

Sarah K
07-28-2014, 07:33 PM
They could have a table of like 5 EpiPens to add extra excitement.

icecream
07-28-2014, 07:37 PM
And @icecream (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3915) is yummy.
Dark chocolate Ryan is yummy too

Joy Prevention Hotline
07-28-2014, 07:44 PM
They could have a table of like 5 EpiPens to add extra excitement.
EpiPens signed by the bands.

Kyle
07-28-2014, 07:54 PM
EpiPens signed by the bands.

Only one of them.

Joy Prevention Hotline
07-28-2014, 08:02 PM
How is it that Copy of A is still getting better each time I see it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToT8yF91-Is

Halo Infinity
07-29-2014, 10:41 AM
This is what definitely goes on in my mind whenever a new Nine Inch Nails album is about to come out, or has come out. It's as if the entire discography flashes right before my eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvWzaaYpOnc

Microwave Jellyfish
07-29-2014, 12:12 PM
How is it that Copy of A is still getting better each time I see it?
Dem moves! Trent must be high on Red Bull.

Or in a really good mood.

Or incredibly pissed off.

I don't know for certain anymore.

implanted_microchip
07-29-2014, 04:48 PM
The Further Down the Spiral international release version of Hurt live is probably the best performance of it I've ever heard. I still don't get why this wasn't on the US version.

Space Suicide
07-29-2014, 04:51 PM
The Further Down the Spiral international release version of Hurt live is probably the best performance of it I've ever heard. I still don't get why this wasn't on the US version.

I have the US and UK Pressings. :p

implanted_microchip
07-29-2014, 04:59 PM
I have the US and UK Pressings. :p

As do I, and I vastly prefer the UK edition. I was really surprised how many great remixes are on it that aren't on the US version, the only thing the US version has over it is The Beauty of Being Numb and maybe the one remix of MSD that isn't on the UK version, but the Ruiner remix more than compensates.

Space Suicide
07-29-2014, 05:02 PM
As do I, and I vastly prefer the UK edition. I was really surprised how many great remixes are on it that aren't on the US version, the only thing the US version has over it is The Beauty of Being Numb and maybe the one remix of MSD that isn't on the UK version, but the Ruiner remix more than compensates.

Yes, seeing as Ruiner is my favorite TDS song the remix is fantastically awesome and greatly missed on the US version.

implanted_microchip
07-29-2014, 05:08 PM
Yes, seeing as Ruiner is my favorite TDS song the remix is fantastically awesome and greatly missed on the US version.

I couldn't agree with you more, the Ruiner mix is by far one of my absolute favorite NIN remixes, and I'm a bigger fan of the remix albums than most people seem to be. I still have my fingers hopelessly crossed that I'll get to see Ruiner live someday.

nooneimportant
07-29-2014, 10:49 PM

Every performance of Hurt is good, but that 1995 version is incredible. The piano sounds just right. I watched the video for it a few months and when I heard the piano come in during the 2nd verse, it hit me man. All the noise and chaos of the chorus and then this loose, creepy piano steps in to reassure you about things.

Also, the snake after the first verse. THE SNAKE.

Joy Prevention Hotline
07-29-2014, 10:52 PM
I definitely feel like I'm missing out whenever I see mention of the UK version of FDTS. I may have to track down a copy of it someday — don't see why it should remain UK only forever.

implanted_microchip
07-29-2014, 11:00 PM
I definitely feel like I'm missing out whenever I see mention of the UK version of FDTS. I may have to track down a copy of it someday — don't see why it should remain UK only forever.

I think I got mine for all of 4 dollars on Amazon, including the shipping and handling. It's far from difficult, and I highly encourage getting it!

Charmingly Miserable
07-29-2014, 11:45 PM
… Eh, who am I kidding. Anyone who sees me will probably think "Soundgarden fan." Sigh.
You make it seem like that's a bad thing.

Kyle
07-29-2014, 11:58 PM
Every performance of Hurt is good, but that 1995 version is incredible. The piano sounds just right. I watched the video for it a few months and when I heard the piano come in during the 2nd verse, it hit me man. All the noise and chaos of the chorus and then this loose, creepy piano steps in to reassure you about things.

Also, the snake after the first verse. THE SNAKE.
The reason Hurt does nothing for me live is because I was at the FDtS tour. If you've only seen the video you have no idea how powerful that was live. Especially if you weren't expecting it. The entire pit was motionless and transfixed. And considering how chaotic it was just minutes ago, that's all you need to know. At the risk of sounding like you know who, no live performance of that song since then has lived up to it.

neveroddoreven
07-30-2014, 01:13 AM
so, i purchased a copy of the superunknown reissue & as a happy accident they sent the super deluxe version that included an app that claims to be "in studio" quality version of the album… i can't confirm or deny the quality aspect, but raise your hand if you'd like to have all your halos like that… would never expect the rare stuff (i.e. witt singles) to be released like that but phm, broken, tds, tf, wt, yz, maybe ghosts, ts & definitely hm…

c'mon tr… how easy would that be? it's sitting on your shelf, right now…

would love to hear some of you audiophiles chime in on the 'in studio' quality thing… dunno if this is the right thread for that but… i'm sure i don't have anything close to the proper setup but hearing superunknown like that was… let's say, different…

sheepdean
07-30-2014, 01:23 AM
wtf does "in studio" even mean? Unmastered?

neveroddoreven
07-30-2014, 01:29 AM
not a clue… would love to know the difference, myself… audiophiles plz stand up…

bgalbraith
07-30-2014, 01:31 AM

Apparently it means using something called DTS Headphone:X and being in 11.1 surround sound.
http://audioxpress.com/article/DTS-Headphone-X-powers-Soundgarden-s-Superunknown-re-issue-app.html

neveroddoreven
07-30-2014, 01:37 AM
Apparently it means using something called DTS Headphone:X and being in 11.1 surround sound.
http://audioxpress.com/article/DTS-Headphone-X-powers-Soundgarden-s-Superunknown-re-issue-app.html

11.1??? didn't know such a thing existed… maybe that wouldn't be so easy, but still… halo apps?! gimme gimme gimme…

Kyle
07-30-2014, 01:51 AM
I had no idea 11.1 was a thing.

Trent needs to to matter The Fragile now in 13.1 just to do better.

seasonsinthesky
07-30-2014, 02:26 AM
so, i purchased a copy of the superunknown reissue & as a happy accident they sent the super deluxe version that included an app that claims to be "in studio" quality version of the album… i can't confirm or deny the quality aspect, but raise your hand if you'd like to have all your halos like that… would never expect the rare stuff (i.e. witt singles) to be released like that but phm, broken, tds, tf, wt, yz, maybe ghosts, ts & definitely hm…

c'mon tr… how easy would that be? it's sitting on your shelf, right now…

would love to hear some of you audiophiles chime in on the 'in studio' quality thing… dunno if this is the right thread for that but… i'm sure i don't have anything close to the proper setup but hearing superunknown like that was… let's say, different…

alright, let's clear up the mess:

the app for the Superunknown remaster just has the 11.1 DTS Headphone:X master. it's not "in studio quality" nor is that advertised on their website. (if y'all wanna hear it, they put up "Spoonman" for free. (http://soundgardenworld.com/superunknownxdemo/) don't get your hopes up.)
Superunknown was recorded in a professional studio in 1993, which means it was probably recorded to tape (or ADAT). those tapes would be "in studio quality." you can't buy the tape reels, so no "in studio quality" for us.
however, the Blu-ray surround mix is in 24bit 96kHz, so that's the closest we get. (it's pretty damn close, except the tapes have the stereo mix.)
TR has been recording to computer hard disks since 1988. everything is in 44.1kHz digital* (until they switched to 48kHz somewhere around the HTDA EP recording) so when you listen to the mastered CD you are, indeed, listening to "in studio quality."

*except PHM, its singles, Broken, and probably the original TDS master were all passed through tape after they were mixed. you could probably argue tape's usually-notable effect would make those tapes the full "in studio quality," especially the harshest parts of the records as the tape smooths them out. the super-bloated quality of TDS on SACD is higher quality than the recordings and so anything above and beyond the recorded fidelity is fluff, but i suppose it's comforting to know that you can't possibly get closer to Bob Ludwig's mastering desk unless you go master your album with him!

Joy Prevention Hotline
07-30-2014, 03:46 AM
I think I got mine for all of 4 dollars on Amazon, including the shipping and handling. It's far from difficult, and I highly encourage getting it!
Amazon UK or US?

Kyle
07-30-2014, 03:53 AM
Amazon UK or US?

http://www.amazon.com/Further-Down-Spiral-Nine-Nails/dp/B000005RP6/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1406710380&sr=1-1&keywords=further+down+the+spiral

implanted_microchip
07-30-2014, 04:02 AM
Amazon UK or US?

US. I'm in Florida.

Joy Prevention Hotline
07-30-2014, 05:35 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Further-Down-Spiral-Nine-Nails/dp/B000005RP6/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1406710380&sr=1-1&keywords=further+down+the+spiral
Ah. I was looking for "UK," should have been searching for "import." 1-Clicked. :)

neveroddoreven
07-30-2014, 05:47 AM
alright, let's clear up the mess:

the app for the Superunknown remaster just has the 11.1 DTS Headphone:X master. it's not "in studio quality" nor is that advertised on their website. (if y'all wanna hear it, they put up "Spoonman" for free. (http://soundgardenworld.com/superunknownxdemo/) don't get your hopes up.)
Superunknown was recorded in a professional studio in 1993, which means it was probably recorded to tape (or ADAT). those tapes would be "in studio quality." you can't buy the tape reels, so no "in studio quality" for us.
however, the Blu-ray surround mix is in 24bit 96kHz, so that's the closest we get. (it's pretty damn close, except the tapes have the stereo mix.)
TR has been recording to computer hard disks since 1988. everything is in 44.1kHz digital* (until they switched to 48kHz somewhere around the HTDA EP recording) so when you listen to the mastered CD you are, indeed, listening to "in studio quality."

*except PHM, its singles, Broken, and probably the original TDS master were all passed through tape after they were mixed. you could probably argue tape's usually-notable effect would make those tapes the full "in studio quality," especially the harshest parts of the records as the tape smooths them out. the super-bloated quality of TDS on SACD is higher quality than the recordings and so anything above and beyond the recorded fidelity is fluff, but i suppose it's comforting to know that you can't possibly get closer to Bob Ludwig's mastering desk unless you go master your album with him!
thanks for the info… like i said, i definitely don't have the setup to properly push it, but sounded like a completely new album on what i do have… would still like to have the nin albums in this fashion without having to fool with syncing the library via iTunes… maybe just me though…

Fist Fuck
07-30-2014, 05:51 AM
What doe these songs have in common?

The Day The Whole World Went Away
We're In This Together Now
Ghosts 1-36
A Copy Of A
Everyday Is Exactly The Same

Those are NOT the correct song titles. Random NIN Annoyance. How many more times do I have to read The Day The Whole World Went Away (Live)?

sheepdean
07-30-2014, 05:52 AM
thanks for the info… like i said, i definitely don't have the setup to properly push it, but sounded like a completely new album on what i do have… would still like to have the nin albums in this fashion without having to fool with syncing the library via iTunes… maybe just me though…
To me that's very much ~adding more trumpets~ than improving audio quality. We have Ghosts and The Social Network on blu-ray audio, and TDS and WT on DVD-A, it's not like Trent skimps on quality. Not to mention, listening through iTunes is usually going to be a lesser experience compared to listening through a dedicated sound system, so you're hurting your own quality there.

I'd rather Trent put the effort into making future re-releases more like TDS-DE and less like PHM-R, than he did putting 11.1 pointlessness out. Who the fuck even has an 11.1 setup except in home cinema settings?

neveroddoreven
07-30-2014, 06:01 AM
To me that's very much ~adding more trumpets~ than improving audio quality. We have Ghosts and The Social Network on blu-ray audio, and TDS and WT on DVD-A, it's not like Trent skimps on quality. Not to mention, listening through iTunes is usually going to be a lesser experience compared to listening through a dedicated sound system, so you're hurting your own quality there.

I'd rather Trent put the effort into making future re-releases more like TDS-DE and less like PHM-R, than he did putting 11.1 pointlessness out. Who the fuck even has an 11.1 setup except in home cinema settings?
agreed… i know apple/itunes dumbs things down when it comes to audio but i can't really take my "dedicated sound system" with me…

"more like tds-de" freaking YES…

katara
07-30-2014, 06:27 AM
To be honest, I was pretty disappointed with the bonuses on that deluxe edition. The demos are fantastic but they're only three 'new' tracks on a disc filled with readily available remixes and b-sides we've all heard for years. Hurt (Quiet) has to be one the lamest, laziest remixes ever, and its inclusion stumps me.

PHM was far worse; I agree with you there. The new artwork and repackaging is very nice, though.

Was TGWTDT really in 11.1? O_o

sheepdean
07-30-2014, 06:44 AM
To be honest, I was pretty disappointed with the bonuses on that deluxe edition. The demos are fantastic but they're only three 'new' tracks on a disc filled with readily available remixes and b-sides we've all heard for years. Hurt (Quiet) has to be one the lamest, laziest remixes ever, and its inclusion stumps me.

PHM was far worse; I agree with you there. The new artwork and repackaging is very nice, though.

Was TGWTDT really in 11.1? O_o
TGWTDT was just in FLAC wasn't it, on the stick? I don't have $300 to drop on a copy so I'm not sure, but I thought it was simply super HQ audio in a very overpriced box.

And I really liked the TDS setup because FDTS wasn't gonna get a reissue, so new fans, or fans who hadn't got the record the first time, had a chance to experience some of the great tracks of the era. I would of course love an Ultimate Edition with everything, from demos to remixes, but Trent's kinda bad at remembering to release ultimate editions.

Still praying for a PHM-DE with Purest Feeling remastered though...

fillow
07-30-2014, 07:01 AM

Ghosts 1-36
A Copy Of A

Those are NOT the correct song titles. Random NIN Annoyance. How many more times do I have to read The Day The Whole World Went Away (Live)?

you forgot:
The Big Comedown
I'm Looking Forward to Join You, Finally

nooneimportant
07-30-2014, 07:10 AM
you forgot:
The Big Comedown
I'm Looking Forward to Join You, Finally

Don't forget the classic

Fuck You Like an Animal

Fist Fuck
07-30-2014, 07:38 AM
Don't forget the classic

Fuck You Like an Animal

LOL as sad as it is, you're right.

I just read "The Hand That Feeds You" lol Why not go ahead and call it "Will you bite the hand that feeds you or will you stay down on your knees?"

BenAkenobi
07-30-2014, 07:54 AM
also Ring Finger

and Capitol G

sick among the pure
07-30-2014, 10:54 AM
That Gay Disco Song

Halo Infinity
07-30-2014, 01:01 PM
I still seem to listen to Broken, The Downward Spiral and The Fragile the most whenever I'm very depressed. This isn't to say that the other albums don't make me feel better either, but those three have always helped calm me down and cheer me up the most. I know I've already mentioned this a few times before, but damn, do they really work for me most, if not all of the time whenever I'm down in the dumps.

sheepdean
07-30-2014, 02:37 PM
That Gay Disco Song
https://33.media.tumblr.com/8d7a171423c10a5652a5ed349bbe6bc6/tumblr_n9jiii4HsU1qbn738o1_400.jpg

Halo Infinity
07-30-2014, 03:03 PM
That Gay Disco Song
What you've just said seemed to remind me of this YTMND. :p

http://ningayfuel.ytmnd.com/

Joy Prevention Hotline
07-30-2014, 03:53 PM
http://38.media.tumblr.com/48f6631bc08dada81e820ea2952b0937/tumblr_n94ru4bbqT1qzs63fo1_1280.png

Microwave Jellyfish
07-30-2014, 07:05 PM

Ghosts 1-36
A Copy Of A

Honestly, there are worse things in life than a few mistaken song titles.

Like when people doesn't even know How to write down your other band's name_.

neveroddoreven
07-30-2014, 07:11 PM
always wanted to see trent do an entire album of joy division covers... the nin edge on those tracks fits so well... would die so hard for a studio cut of atmosphere...

sheepdean
07-30-2014, 07:19 PM
always wanted to see trent do an entire album of joy division covers... the nin edge on those tracks fits so well... would die so hard for a studio cut of atmosphere...
He's already done 4, wouldn't be a stretch - though aside from Transmission, idk what I'd really want to hear him do from the catalogue that hasn't been done 100 times by similar bands.

implanted_microchip
07-30-2014, 07:59 PM
He's already done 4, wouldn't be a stretch - though aside from Transmission, idk what I'd really want to hear him do from the catalogue that hasn't been done 100 times by similar bands.
A TDS-era cover of Atrocity Exhibition would be the greatest thing.

Ryan
07-30-2014, 08:51 PM
The Big Comedown

That one annoys me especially.

Fist Fuck
07-31-2014, 05:33 AM
honestly, there are worse things in life than a few mistaken song titles.

Like when people doesn't even know how to write down your other band's name_.

[let's_just_be_glad_the_with_teeth_era_is_over]

Microwave Jellyfish
07-31-2014, 06:03 AM
Hahah, and that it didn't have a R3M1X 61_8μM.

niggo
07-31-2014, 06:23 AM
The Big Comedown

Wait a sec. I'm not a native speaker; The Big Come Down. Never really thought about that title. Now I'm really confusing myself.

Is it, like, "The Big [guys, men, whatever] Come Down" or more like "The Big Come Down" as in "The Big Shit Storm" or something like that? Or, to put it in another way; is "come down" meant to be a verb or a noun in that case? I always thought it's the latter.

GibbonBlack
07-31-2014, 06:46 AM
Wait a sec. I'm not a native speaker; The Big Come Down. Never really thought about that title. Now I'm really confusing myself.

Is it, like, "The Big [guys, men, whatever] Come Down" or more like "The Big Come Down" as in "The Big Shit Storm" or something like that? Or, to put it in another way; is "come down" meant to be a verb or a noun in that case? I always thought it's the latter.

I always thought it was a 'come down' like when you've just done drugs. Like a hangover

fillow
07-31-2014, 06:56 AM
I thought that in this case both spellings have equal meaning (English has a tendency for that), but I'm just specifically referring to the actual title from the album credits as correct one.

allegro
07-31-2014, 07:11 AM

A "comedown" is a disappointment or lowering of rank or status. The lyrics of the song pretty much spell it out.

http://i.word.com/idictionary/comedown

Oxford:

comedown
come|down
Pronunciation: /ˈkʌmdaʊn

noun
informal

1A loss of status or importance: Patrol duty? Bit of a comedown for a sergeant

More example sentences

Synonyms
2A feeling of disappointment or depression: it’s such a comedown after Christmas is over

More example sentences

Synonyms
2.1A lessening of the sensations generated by a narcotic drug as its effects wear off: the drug is like speed, but without the comedown

niggo
07-31-2014, 07:28 AM
A "comedown" is a disappointment or lowering of rank or status. The lyrics of the song pretty much spell it all out.

http://i.word.com/idictionary/comedown

Thanks man, that's what I needed to hear. So the album spelling is actually wrong?

Edit: Nevermind, just saw your edit.

tony.parente
07-31-2014, 09:40 AM
Not really controversial so I'll put I here. I think the Stefan Goodchild remix of The Warning is superior to the album version.

allegro
07-31-2014, 11:13 AM
Edit: Nevermind, just saw your edit.
yeah I was using Tapatalk via my smartphone and it doesn't always behave properly plus the text is really small. One word. Album title is NOT correct. Should be one word.

Fist Fuck
07-31-2014, 11:26 AM
yeah I was using Tapatalk via my smartphone and it doesn't always behave properly plus the text is really small. One word. Album title is NOT correct. Should be one word.

It's the title they HAVE CHOSE, so it's correct.

niggo
07-31-2014, 11:32 AM

Well, no, it's not. Just because they chose to write it that way doesn't make it right.

Anyway, thanks again for clarification!

seasonsinthesky
07-31-2014, 11:37 AM
I always thought it was a 'come down' like when you've just done drugs. Like a hangover

this be it for sure. 'come down' and 'comedown' both work, but the single word looks rather ugly...

allegro
07-31-2014, 12:02 PM

Well, no, it's not. Just because they chose to write it that way doesn't make it right.
he/she was being sarcastic, as "have chose" (a long topic of Reznor grammar ribbing (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/nineinchnails/wereinthistogether.html)) is also totally incorrect. ;)

For your English grammar pleasure (http://www.verbix.com/webverbix/English/choose.html).

'come down' and 'comedown' both work.
No, they don't. Comedown is one word. It may look ugly, but it's one word.

We used to have a Reznor Bad Grammar thread on the old board, it was awesome. (In this case, it's bad spelling.)

niggo
07-31-2014, 12:11 PM
he/she was being sarcastic, as "have chose" (a long topic of Reznor grammar ribbing) is also totally incorrect. ;)

Well, now I feel like a dick. Sorry, Fist Fuck (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2854)!

Microwave Jellyfish
07-31-2014, 12:25 PM
Thank the lord that MYM line isn't actually "Come down, Julian."

There's still "come on down, my friend" though. Any guesses behind the meaning?

Sarah K
07-31-2014, 12:53 PM
One of the things that pissed me off about Tension was people complaining about Pino having no stage presence. You have one of the best bass players in the world, and arguably of all time in front of you... stfu.

I mean that March of the Pigs line alone... COME THE FUCK ON

implanted_microchip
07-31-2014, 12:55 PM
Thank the lord that MYM line isn't actually "Come down, Julian."

There's still "come on down, my friend" though. Any guesses behind the meaning?

I've always heard "GODDAMN JULIEN!"

There's the "Countdown to the end" line and the repeated "C'mon down, c'mon down, c'mon dowwwwwwwn" part, not sure if you misheard part or are referencing the other and I never heard the "my friend" line.

It seems to be about members of the resistance capturing someone important/high-ranking in the government/regime, making a massive show and statement out of it, filming it or televising it or what have you to make it public.

"Bow down in position, Against the polished the steel, This is something different -- you like the way this feels" -- putting a gun to their head, in a position of submission and powerlessness they're not used to, as they've always been the ones putting the gun to the heads of the world, be it literally (in them being a soldier/general) or metaphorical (politician, spokesman, etc.).

"We've heard enough from you now; We've heard everything" -- the propaganda constantly being shoved down their throats and into their heads.

"Used to be the leader but now comes your time to serve, Maybe we'll show some mercy, Maybe you'll get what you deserve" -- okay now there's some hardcore HLAH references there that I never hear mentioned and I don't know why not, maybe it's so obvious everyone figures everyone gets it. HLAH deals with people who are greed-fueled and obsessed with money and power, and this person being executed/made a display of is more or less the same way, and here the Resistance is more or less saying, "Maybe we'll let you live, but really you deserve to die."

The "Come on down, come on down" lines are just basically telling the person to "come on down" in front of everyone as they're put on their knees and "bowing down" in position. There's the "Hey, coming around the bend" lines that I think maybe you misheard as "come on down, my friend" laid in right inbetween the "come on down" lines at the end, which is referencing the world ending again along with a lot of the chorus.

I have no idea why I went ahead and did all that but oh well, hopefully somewhere in there I addressed your question!

Microwave Jellyfish
07-31-2014, 01:20 PM
Thanks a lot! It was helpful, but also a great post anyway.

The line before "It's time to meet your master" does have "my friend" - NINwiki confirms it (http://www.ninwiki.com/Meet_Your_Master) - although not just at the end, that's my mistake. :]

implanted_microchip
07-31-2014, 01:23 PM
Oh, right! I don't know how I overlooked that line in the chorus, for whatever reason I was totally latched onto the "Come on down" repetition. And thanks!

sick among the pure
07-31-2014, 02:03 PM
One of the things that pissed me off about Tension was people complaining about Pino having no stage presence. You have one of the best bass players in the world, and arguably of all time in front of you... stfu.

I mean that March of the Pigs line alone... COME THE FUCK ON

What I always thought was funny was this:

Pino stands in place and plays THE BEST BASS EVER BECAUSE HE IS LEGIT A MASTER OF THE CRAFT, everyone says "boring" "lame" etc.
Ally stands in place and while yeah he's good, he's not on Pino's level, but everyone loves him.

I probably should have posted that in controversial NIN opinions but whatever I'm sick and don't give a fist fuck.

implanted_microchip
07-31-2014, 02:08 PM
What I always thought was funny was this:

Pino stands in place and plays THE BEST BASS EVER BECAUSE HE IS LEGIT A MASTER OF THE CRAFT, everyone says "boring" "lame" etc.
Ally stands in place and while yeah he's good, he's not on Pino's level, but everyone loves him.

I probably should have posted that in controversial NIN opinions but whatever I'm sick and don't give a fist fuck.

I personally won't compare Ally and Pino because they do two very different things, but I think the thing is that Ally is just widely seen as a "real" member of NIN Live, practically a core member for most fans. He's been in it for tour after tour after tour, played with HTDA even, etc., and is just seen as almost a modern Robin in terms of his place as a member of NIN. The one tour that didn't have him led to a lot of people missing him. Pino, on the other hand, was sort of a "guest" performer, obviously not meant to remain as a staple of NIN, and so people were more critical.

I'm not agreeing with that attitude either; I thought Pino was god-tier and just brought an incredible sound to the band. Plus, that odd head-bobbing he did is enough stage presence for me!

Halo Infinity
07-31-2014, 09:24 PM
I actually like the idea of having With Teeth songs played next to Hesitation Marks songs. To me, that would be like playing Broken songs next to The Downward Spiral songs. The Fragile songs would also seem great next to Year Zero songs and Ghosts I-IV songs, and Year Zero and The Slip also seem like they'd have their songs sound good next to each other as well.

nooneimportant
08-01-2014, 07:01 AM
I just realized All The Love in The World is the only opening album track to not open any live show.

sheepdean
08-01-2014, 07:07 AM
I just realized All The Love in The World is the only opening album track to not open any live show.
Man I love that time 1 Ghosts I opened a set

fillow
08-01-2014, 07:09 AM
Ghosts film festival! Man, it was awesome

nooneimportant
08-01-2014, 07:18 AM

Oh yeah, there's that one too.

I always forget about Ghosts mostly because it's an instrumental album.

neveroddoreven
08-01-2014, 07:18 AM
this should be a staple… seriously…

would really like to see what kind of lovechild a tr/beck collaboration would bring now that reznor's bringing other musicians onboard… both of those guys have really grown in their own right…

Furie_Zacharias
08-01-2014, 10:30 AM

When was this?

botley
08-01-2014, 10:47 AM
When was this?
That time we pretended it happened to make a joke in this thread.

Scarlet Siren
08-01-2014, 06:06 PM
Listening to TDS instrumental after not listening to NIN since my last show in June (Prague).

FUCK ME SIDEWAYS! Soooo good!

implanted_microchip
08-01-2014, 06:39 PM
Every time I forget that Ghosts is a thing and I rediscover it, it's the most amazing feeling. I mean really, I've grown to appreciate it so much over the years, but I still have long gaps where it's far from what I listen to often at all, and when I finally go back to it it's like remembering all of a sudden how fantastic so much of it is.

wizfan
08-01-2014, 08:33 PM
The opening of Disappointed, as well as the kick drum in the verses, sound so different depending on where I listen to the song; I usually listen to it with headphones, but when I use my monitor speakers, the kick has a "pickity pickity" sound that's inaudible to me when I use headphones. I've used all hi-res versions of the album (loud, hdtracks and audiophile mastered version) and even the vinyl rip.

Of course, it's common for music to sound different between speakers and headphones, but this is just head-scratching to me. Either there's something wrong with my speakers or soundcard, or Trent pulled off some magic mixing trick where certain sounds can only be heard with speakers (which reminds me of the out-of-phase sounds in Broken which are inaudible when you listen to it in mono).

nothing8
08-02-2014, 03:48 AM
Donated blood today, went to the donor centre wearing my NIN tour shirt and the lady behind the counter actually commented on it and we had a 3-4 minute chat about their discography and how she doesn't like those songs that drag on and on (forgot to ask her what she was talking about), it was cool finding out her favourite album was TDS as well. I wonder if she's a member here?

nooneimportant
08-02-2014, 04:36 AM
"C'mon down, c'mon down, c'mon dowwwwwwwn"

http://i.imgur.com/VwtCoCl.jpg

Frozen Beach
08-02-2014, 09:15 AM
Everytime I listen to Satellite, I think of this commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPmfbhVGbIQ

zah
08-02-2014, 10:42 AM
I wish I'd never read "come down Julian." Now I hear it every. fucking. time.

Charmingly Miserable
08-02-2014, 06:21 PM
For me, Ghosts is the accumulation of everything I want to feel. I think it's one of the best things T-Rez has done.

Halo Infinity
08-02-2014, 07:56 PM
I certainly agree. Ghosts I-IV captures moods that the other albums simply can't, with the exception of some songs from And All That Could Have Been (Still). I've been listening to it a lot more than I've used to, and it has certainly grown on me, but also in a different kind of way. I also like how it can be relaxing or contemplative, or even both at the same time.

jessamineny
08-03-2014, 07:12 AM
I miss Rob's tour photography

Halo Infinity
08-03-2014, 07:22 AM
Thanks to the "Gatorade incident" with Down In It, I inevitably become reminded of Nine Inch Nails every single time I drink Gatorade. (As if Nine Inch Nails wasn't already burnt into my memory more than enough, as it is.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_in_It#Song_information

The same can be also said for Coke Zero for me, but for a completely different reason. (With the Year Zero joke attached to it, that is.) :p

tony.parente
08-03-2014, 11:10 AM
I miss Rob's tour photography
What happened to the fan interaction on tours? Rob and Trent have both been absolutely mute this entire tour cycle it seems.

jessamineny
08-03-2014, 12:13 PM
If I had to guess, they're both stupidly busy.

icecream
08-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Didn't know about the Gatorade thing. Now I'll probably have Down In It stuck in my head whenever I drink it.

kel
08-03-2014, 12:30 PM
enjoy your colored salty water.

Halo Infinity
08-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Didn't know about the Gatorade thing. Now I'll probably have Down In It stuck in my head whenever I drink it.
It just got stuck in my mind when I first read about it on this interview in 1994, with Trent mentioning it at The NIN Hotline. It's also mentioned on Wikipedia as well. And yes, that's what also been happening to me ever since. :p

http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/plazm94a.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_in_It#Song_information
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_in_It#Song_information)
And well, for an even more obvious reason, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups also have the same effect on me. :p

Charmingly Miserable
08-03-2014, 01:47 PM
What happened to the fan interaction on tours? Rob and Trent have both been absolutely mute this entire tour cycle it seems.

They are reposting fan pix on IG.

I didn't know about the Gatorade thing either. Is the alleged commercial on YT?

jessamineny
08-03-2014, 01:55 PM

If you're talking about the NIN account, that's more likely someone at Silva management (probably in charge of the NIN Twitter and FB at this point, too)

Charmingly Miserable
08-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Never really thought about it but I bet you're right.

nooneimportant
08-04-2014, 05:47 AM

I didn't know about the Gatorade thing either. Is the alleged commercial on YT?

I tried to find the commercial, but it seems like it would be a pain in the ass trying to watch Gatorade ads from 1990 to 1993.

Why would they use Down In It anyways? I know it's got a pretty catchy beat, but a song about being down in the dumps isn't exactly a smart choice for something like Gatorade.

Halo Infinity
08-04-2014, 09:44 AM
I was also asking about it a few times in the Random NIN Questions thread to no avail, but that could probably mean that it's not around at all. And well, perhaps it if was found, it would've been revealed on The NIN Hotline already. I even checked out Reddit, and I just didn't get any actual results either. I also guess that they mostly did it for it being catchy, and the background music in the Gatorade commercial from what I've read was actually an imitation of Down In It, instead of the actual song.

icecream
08-04-2014, 11:28 AM
It's not unusual for companies to use weird songs to advertise. The other day I saw one for Apple and it used Gigantic by the Pixies. If you haven't heard it, read the lyrics. Its about having sex with a guy who has a huge cock. That's the only one that pops in my head now, know there are lots of other examples.

Halo Infinity
08-04-2014, 06:41 PM
I sometimes like how the gaps in between Nine Inch Nails albums sometimes brings up the fans' conception of time as they age. Even though I became a fan of NIN very late in the game, I felt fortunate that I was still able to get into NIN at least before finishing high school. I was 16 turning 17 in late 2002 at the time, and I still remember thinking from 2002-2004 (I graduated 1 year late.) in awe as to how old The Downward Spiral was, especially since I wasn't even a fan when TDS came out.

And now that 10 years have passed since I've graduated from high school, I see that With Teeth is now 9 years old, and that WT certainly did not feel as far as TDS did when it was 9. It just occurred to me as I was comparing how the distance between 1990-2004 felt a little bit different when compared to 2000-2014 to me. And well, I was only 8 when TDS came out, so it was only bound to feel like a greater length of time by the time it turned 8-10 when I was 16-19. They were definitely still obviously long waits, but damn, With Teeth still feels so much closer. I know it's a normal/natural thing, but the way time flies certainly never fails/ceases to amaze sometimes.

nooneimportant
08-04-2014, 08:00 PM
It's not unusual for companies to use weird songs to advertise. The other day I saw one for Apple and it used Gigantic by the Pixies. If you haven't heard it, read the lyrics. Its about having sex with a guy who has a huge cock. That's the only one that pops in my head now, know there are lots of other examples.

I don't think it's about having sex, it's just about the cock. It's funnier that way.

icecream
08-04-2014, 08:07 PM
I don't think it's about having sex, it's just about the cock. It's funnier that way.
I always took the "Walk her every day/into a shady place/and with her lips she said/she said/ hey paul hey paul hey paul let's have a ball" part to be them fucking.

Either way a song about a huge dong is a weird way to sell Iphones

Charmingly Miserable
08-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Ally has my sense of humor (http://instagram.com/p/rSd9amKjcR/?modal=true).

Halo Infinity
08-05-2014, 01:24 AM
I've sometimes imagined what it would be like if there was a Nine Inch Nails album where most of the songs were like the following.

Kinda I Want To
The Only Time
Closer
Sunspots

Get Down, Make Love
Physical (You're So)

I've also sometimes liked the idea of more songs like Something I Can Never Have, A Warm Place and La Mer in general. I'm not saying that they don't exist, as there are other mellower and slower songs to appreciate, but when I'm in the right mood, those songs move me in ways that the heavier and faster songs just can't.

On the other hand, I've sometimes wondered what it would've been like if there were a few more songs like Somewhat Damaged on The Fragile, and a few more songs like The Line Beings To Blur on With Teeth. I also sometimes think that I would've preferred to have that noisy distortion near the end of No, You Don't playing during the other parts of it.

And well, I suppose that's about it for now. These particular random NIN thoughts seemed to keep occurring to me sporadically, but for whatever reason, I just ended up forgetting them time and time again. :p

tony.parente
08-05-2014, 01:49 AM
I'm Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally is amazing.
Suck it Swykk

Swykk
08-05-2014, 09:01 AM
The. Worst. NIN. Song.

By far. :)

But we do agree "Getting Smaller" isn't the worst, so that's something.

Atu
08-05-2014, 09:17 AM
The. Worst. NIN. Song.

By far. :)
*almost crying*
B-but w-why?

Swykk
08-05-2014, 09:27 AM
It puts me to sleep. There's nothing about it that grabs me. It goes nowhere. The lyrics are good too so it sucks that much more that right when you think the song is going to peak...nope! Just more drums!

fillow
08-05-2014, 09:35 AM
They should've tried pulling that song during LITS. Like, switching it with Piggy for a change. It would work pretty well with all that custom drum/perc shit they had onstage.

hani
08-05-2014, 12:37 PM
I'm Looking Forward... is so awesome. how can anyone be hating on that one? it's a perfect mix of minimalistic arrangement and general atmosphere of TF.

Atu
08-05-2014, 01:32 PM
They should've tried pulling that song during LITS. Like, switching it with Piggy for a change. It would work pretty well with all that custom drum/perc shit they had onstage.
I had hope for Tension tour.
With Pino on bass plus Lisa's and Sharlotte's backing vocals it could be magical.

nobies
08-05-2014, 05:45 PM
If you want my honest opinion, the reason we never got the Ghosts Film Festival was because too much of what was submitted was complete JV amateur hour crap.

sheepdean
08-05-2014, 06:01 PM
If you want my honest opinion, the reason we never got the Ghosts Film Festival was because too much of what was submitted was complete JV amateur hour crap.
I wish he'd just get Rob or Tamar or anyone to make a proper film festival, or even commission 36 (38?) artists to make their own, rather than the fans' own crappy scenes of rain in black and white.

elevenism
08-05-2014, 06:01 PM
is @NotinCnStopMeNow (https://thepiratebay.se/tag/NotinCnStopMeNow) still around?
i LOVED his projects.

Halo Infinity
08-07-2014, 12:17 PM
I like how some of the halos matched what age I was when they came out, or matched what age I turned that year. I was 8 when The Downward Spiral came out, and I was 19 when With Teeth came out. I turned 14 in 1999, with The Fragile being Halo 14, and I also turned 28 in 2013 with Hesitation Marks being Halo 28. Closure was also Halo 12, and that was 1 month after I turned 12. I was 16 when And All That Could Have Been (Live/Still) came out as Halo 17, but also turned 17 in 2002. Perhaps anybody born in at least January-April of 1985 would've always matched those halo numbers.

Halo Infinity
08-08-2014, 11:39 AM
The first 5 seconds of the Down In It video have always reminded me about the first 5 seconds of the intro to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon of 1987. The rest of the video can sometimes remind me of TMNT, that is depending on my moods and thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrrEo3hZABU

WorzelG
08-08-2014, 01:20 PM
It surprises me that since NIN seem to be loved by a few film directors that there hasn't been some kind of film of The Downward Spiral made

Halo Infinity
08-08-2014, 06:46 PM
I've sometimes imagined as to how awesome and surprising it would've been if Nine Inch Nails toured with Radiohead or Tori Amos in 1999-2000 or 2005-2006.

And with Everything being considered a controversy and a joke to some or even lots of fans, remembering the joke about everything not being okay, also made me wonder if other NIN fans have already used "Everything pushes me further away." from Where Is Everybody?. (As I was going to use it in my NIN lyrics thread again, so I was inevitably reminded of that possibility.)

And well, all potential jokes and puns aside, Everything is still one of my favorite songs from Hesitation Marks, and has been a favorite even way before all the fuss over it. :p

Charmingly Miserable
08-08-2014, 07:43 PM
I've sometimes imagined as to how awesome and surprising it would've been if Nine Inch Nails toured with Radiohead or Tori Amos in 1999-2000 or 2005-2006.

As much of a Tori fan that I am and how I would secretly love this, I think this would be kinda awkward considering their past history, no?

Fangster_
08-09-2014, 09:58 AM
Slipping Away > sex

Halo Infinity
08-09-2014, 05:05 PM
As much of a Tori fan that I am and how I would secretly love this, I think this would be kinda awkward considering their past history, no?
Oh yes, I've certainly considered that. It was mostly wishful thinking and imagination on my part. I thought the air was cleared, but that sometimes doesn't take away the awkwardness either.

Charmingly Miserable
08-09-2014, 05:09 PM
From what I know, I think they are cool now. I know that Tori still has a great deal of respect for Trent and she still a fan of his. Did anyone read that fan fiction of them getting together?

implanted_microchip
08-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Don't know where to post this so let's go with the Random thread, but wow, this is so goddamned gorgeous to look at. Thanks so much sheepdean and everyone else on NIN-ARMY for sending this my way!

http://i.imgur.com/exIVWXG.jpg

Going to get this professionally framed ASAP, got here just in time before my two shows starting tomorrow. By far the coolest NIN item I own. The colors are so incredibly gorgeous in person, too.

sheepdean
08-09-2014, 07:25 PM
kleiner352 awesome, glad ya finally got it!

Halo Infinity
08-09-2014, 07:42 PM
This might make sense for anybody that has played Turok: Dinosaur Hunter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turok:_Dinosaur_Hunter

The bass in I Would For You kind of reminds me of that game's background music.

Ryan
08-09-2014, 07:54 PM
This might make sense for anybody that has played Turok: Dinosaur Hunter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turok:_Dinosaur_Hunter

The bass in I Would For Your kind of reminds me of that game's background music.

I hated how you had to use the yellow buttons to navigate on the first one.

Seeds Of Evil is one of the best games ever though, the sequel.

FULLMETAL
08-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Somehow I clicked through to an old Rolling Stone article about David Lynch's LOST HIGHWAY and there was an interview with TR. I just love the snapshot of NIN fandom in 1997:

What will the new music be like?
There will be two records that will probably come out around the same time. One will be with people I had with me in the live band. We're playing and writing together in a group called Tapeworm. That one will be a bit more like what you think industrial music is like now. The new Nine Inch Nails will be more like a funk hip-hop record. It will piss a lot of people off, and it's going to change the world at the same time, I hope. That's all I can aspire to. That and staying 10 steps ahead of Billy Corgan.

This story is from the March 6th, 1997 issue of Rolling Stone.

tony.parente
08-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Tapeworm

that SOB just needs to seed99 that shit already

BenAkenobi
08-10-2014, 12:36 AM
The new Nine Inch Nails will be more like a funk hip-hop record. It will piss a lot of people off, and it's going to change the world at the same time, I hope.

This totally feels like he was talking about H.M. Accurate about all of it except world-changing bit :)

Joy Prevention Hotline
08-10-2014, 07:41 AM
In your filthy little worn out
Broken down see through soul
Forgot how much I love that line.

implanted_microchip
08-10-2014, 08:14 AM
Forgot how much I love that line.

The way he sings "Just for the record, Just so you know, I did not believe that you could sink so low" is fantastic. That entire song has some fantastic lines/vocals, great energy; surprised it never became a staple live.

pwing47
08-10-2014, 11:27 AM
For any Foo Fighters fans here: I've been listening to a lot of Foo lately for some reason (mentally preparing for their new album, I guess) and re-visiting some older material.

The beats and overall guitar sound in the song Stacked Actors remind me a lot of The Slip in general; also, the intro sounds really similar to 1,000,000 to my ears. Anyone else? Sorry, just a random observation that I encountered just now.

elevenism
08-12-2014, 01:00 PM
There was something about NIN circa 92-96 or so, something that was lost. It was also found on the first Manson album...
this stuff was utterly fucking terrifying, and it was OURS. Fans of a certain age will probably remember this feeling.

Of course, i am very happy that trent continued and continues to grow and evolve musically.
but sometimes i miss that old "feeling."
I can't quite put it into words, but if you are over, say, 33, and have been around for the long haul, you know what i mean.

WorzelG
08-12-2014, 01:08 PM
There was something about NIN circa 92-96 or so, something that was lost. It was also found on the first Manson album...
this stuff was utterly fucking terrifying, and it was OURS. Fans of a certain age will probably remember this feeling.

Of course, i am very happy that trent continued and continues to grow and evolve musically.
I can't quite put it into words, but if you are over, say, 33, and have been around for the long haul, you know what i mean.
I remember listening to Erased over out on repeat (i loved the further down the spiral eps and Closer remixes even more than TDS because it was just so disturbing! Is that the word you're looking for? I guess dark, but artistic. I'm 41 by the way, living somewhere where everyone was obsessed with Oasis in 1994 and NIN was like an oasis from that stuff, just the horrible studenty boorish laddishness of uk music at that time

GulDukat
08-12-2014, 01:38 PM
2wo is a somewhat underrated album. It's not a masterpiece, but it's one of the more underrated projects that TR's been involved in. It was a pretty cool pairing between an up-and-coming guitar hero, a veteran heavy metal singer and of course Trent Reznor.

wizfan
08-12-2014, 01:49 PM

I hear ya. I felt the Tetsuo track and the Dragon Tattoo score were the closest thing to returning to that feeling, though.

Microwave Jellyfish
08-12-2014, 03:13 PM
2wo is a somewhat underrated album.
Do you mean Voyeurs by 2wo?

Had to make sure because I'm not sober right now, sorry.

GulDukat
08-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Do you mean Voyeurs by 2wo?

Had to make sure because I'm not sober right now, sorry.
Yeah--that's the one. I liked it--any kind of old guard w/next generation collaboration type thing is cool.

John 5 fucking rules. I will never understand why Manson fired him, very bad call.

GulDukat
08-12-2014, 03:53 PM

I understand what you mean. There is something unique and special about that period of NIN, and indeed that era of music in general. The first half of the 1990s was truly a golden age for rock music (NIN, AIC, PJ, Nirvana, Soundgarden, RATM, Smashing Pumpkins, etc.), and I am so glad that i got to live though it and experience it when it was new and fresh. That said, I love all eras of NIN, with The Fragile being my favorite NIN album.

piggy
08-12-2014, 10:47 PM
I know what you mean, too. Back when NIN was dangerous and it seemed like you could almost get a bad reputation just by being a fan. Wearing a NIN shirt at school was, like, the edgiest thing ever and it felt like being part of a dark little esoteric club. Yup, I miss those days.

kel
08-12-2014, 11:25 PM
I know what you mean, too. Back when NIN was dangerous and it seemed like you could almost get a bad reputation just by being a fan. Wearing a NIN shirt at school was, like, the edgiest thing ever and it felt like being part of a dark little esoteric club. Yup, I miss those days.
yes. this. in rural southern idaho, no doubt.

i'll be 34 this november and became a fan at 13. i agree that it was a really special and important time for young fans. i remember knowing a senior that *knew* someone who went to self destruct in salt lake. i was in awe.

there are lots of distinct memories the years following tds, too -- waiting anxiously with my fingers on play/record for simon rex to debut "the perfect drug" (and quickly wearing that tape out), standing outside musicland with my best friend the day 'closure' came out so we could get (what we thought) was both copies they likely had in stock, etc.

it was fantastic and obsessive and (sometimes) scary, but just a lot of fucking fun.

Halo Infinity
08-13-2014, 01:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfV7NLCWiiU

katara
08-13-2014, 05:03 AM

If the Internet hadn't proliferated, if iTunes, amazon, and torrents were never a thing and people still had to go to an actual shop to buy music, I wonder if this feeling would still be with us now.

Buying a record is like making a statement. Going up to the counter and handing over something deemed to be controversial while the latest pop drivel blares in the background is a pretty big thing.

Music used to feel dangerous. Like you knew you weren't supposed to listen to something because society told you it was wrong. Now, all music has become 'safe'. The postman doesn't know or care what's in your unmarked parcel. They don't judge us with dirty looks; they simply smile and hand it over. You can't see it in their eyes.

The sad thing is, it's easier, more convenient, and cheaper to simply download an album from the safety of our own homes. Sometimes I wonder if that lessens the musical experience.

Of course, it's totally possible to find the one music store that still exists in your town or city and get this experience, but you really have to go out of your way. They aren't exactly easy to come across any more. Plus they're overpriced and only have as much stock as their inventory holds, so more often than not, you leave disappointed.

elevenism
08-13-2014, 05:59 PM
yes. this. in rural southern idaho, no doubt.

i'll be 34 this november and became a fan at 13.

yep, you and i have had a similar NIN experience.
i am 34 and got into NIN when broken came out.
i remember seeing Wish on the headbanger's ball. It was like it scared me but i couldn't look away.
I saw them 2 times in dallas on FTDS (i THINK that was the name of the tour,) and it was SO incredible. I was about fourteen and i will never forget the vibe of the crowd, the sea of black clothes and angst.

Charmingly Miserable
08-13-2014, 11:48 PM
I was 13 when TDS came out. It wasn't until the next year, when I was a freshman, that I was emerged into NIN. I remembering coming home from school and listening to the album with my sister and we would be creeped out, petrified and awestruck by it.

Halo Infinity
08-14-2014, 01:02 AM
Long before I got into any musicians, I have actually wondered if I was going to be a fan of a very lauded, technical and meticulous musician of legendary status in the 1990s that had his works constantly discussed and analyzed, and a musician that also managed to make heavy and abrasive songs and mellow and smooth songs which often sounded crystal clear. Fast forward to 2002, and I got sucked into the world of Nine Inch Nails. But of course, this isn't to say that only NIN did all/any of that stuff, but it was as if I predicted my future in becoming a NIN fan. Even more ironic, aside from being mostly a gamer (I was never the biggest music fan, but at some points of my life, I didn't even really care for music at all.) most of my life was that I had that thought as far back as 1994.

elevenism
08-14-2014, 01:15 AM
Long before I got into any musicians, I have actually wondered if I was going to be a fan of a very lauded, technical and meticulous musician of legendary status in the 1990s that had his works constantly discussed and analyzed, and a musician that also managed to make heavy and abrasive songs and mellow and smooth songs which often sounded crystal clear. Fast forward to 2002, and I got sucked into the world of Nine Inch Nails. But of course, this isn't to say that only NIN did all/any of that stuff, but it was as if I predicted my future in becoming a NIN fan. Even more ironic, aside from being mostly a gamer (I was never the biggest music fan, but at some points of my life, I didn't even really care for music at all.) most of my life was that I had that thought as far back as 1994.

What?! Kris , i have read this post 3 times, and i cannot decipher its meaning.
Can you please explain?

Halo Infinity
08-14-2014, 01:19 AM
Sure, no problem. I was basically saying that I wondered if I was going to ever become a fan of a musician like Nine Inch Nails (And not that I've heard of NIN at the time.) long before I even got into any musicians, and what I was imagining seemed to coincidentally and perfectly match his description. I hope that makes it clearer as I kept stumbling on my words from editing them a few times. (Oh crap, I'm doing that again, but I still hope that my point has been clarified.)

-Edit-

That was a lot harder to word than I thought. :p

jessamineny
08-14-2014, 12:54 PM
I finally read that Rolling Stone article (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2863-NIN-Spotting-2014?p=206453#post206453). Ended with this quote: "The next incarnation might be limited in scale -- not presented as rock band Nine Inch Nails but something else, flipped on its head. That feels exciting to me. We'll see how it goes."

I wonder if he's thinking of just touring as Trent Reznor. The entire concert could be a mashup of NIN material, HTDA songs, soundtrack material. I would personally love that.

screwdriver
08-14-2014, 01:49 PM
I finally read that Rolling Stone article (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2863-NIN-Spotting-2014?p=206453#post206453). Ended with this quote: "The next incarnation might be limited in scale -- not presented as rock band Nine Inch Nails but something else, flipped on its head. That feels exciting to me. We'll see how it goes."

I wonder if he's thinking of just touring as Trent Reznor. The entire concert could be a mashup of NIN material, HTDA songs, soundtrack material. I would personally love that.

I kind of disagree -- I like the separate identities because I think its meaningful for a reason I can't quite articulate. Sure, he already sort of smashed that by playing HTDA songs with NIN in Europe.... but still, <blah blah blah illogical reasoning>

that said... more HTDA touring, pls?????? sweet jesus I still have amazing memories of that one(!) show I saw.

eversonpoe
08-14-2014, 03:05 PM
I kind of disagree -- I like the separate identities because I think its meaningful for a reason I can't quite articulate. Sure, he already sort of smashed that by playing HTDA songs with NIN in Europe.... but still, <blah blah blah illogical reasoning>

that said... more HTDA touring, pls?????? sweet jesus I still have amazing memories of that one(!) show I saw.

even though, in general, i prefer NIN to HTDA, the HTDA show i saw here in chicago was better than all the times i saw NIN (except the first time, on fragility 2.0).

Charmingly Miserable
08-14-2014, 03:11 PM
You know what would be kinda funny? If Trent were to sing some the mistaken lyrics.
Whose your daddy?

God damn, Julian.

Imprinted with a pomp ass.

kel
08-14-2014, 03:52 PM
i'm watching "beside you in time" on the live dvd of the same name. the part where trent "shatters" the screen is so rad. i remember at the salt lake city show, us spiral members (maybe 15 or 20 fans total) got to attend a soundcheck. it was still early in the tour, so trent played seven songs that highlighted the effects. he asked us to stand back so we could see how awesome that part of the show was.

such an amazing experience.

botley
08-14-2014, 04:17 PM
I only saw that once, at the Air Canada Centre show Nov. '05. At the other WT arena show I attended in Cleveland, they skipped it because the projector stopped working halfway through "Right Where It Belongs" and TR got really pissed off and yelled at the crew from onstage.

kel
08-14-2014, 04:21 PM
that tour was ripe with issues early on. jermoe's (*snicker*) exit, screen malfunctions, etc. the setlist was consistently awesome, though ("love is not enough" needs to come back).

the last show i saw of the tour was one of two that were filmed for the dvd. by the time the tour was ready to wrap, they had it down (of course).

pcpunk
08-14-2014, 07:22 PM
i was at that cleveland show, botley. people around me were chanting "you're gonna get fired" to the crew. pissed me off they skipped Sin because of that. my first show. ah, memories.

botley
08-14-2014, 09:14 PM
They did play "Sin" right after the curtain came back up — and it was SO VERY ANGRY.

Deepvoid
08-14-2014, 10:59 PM
I'm drunk. Listening to The Perfect Drug. Damn that song is good.
I will never understand the reason why that song is not being played live.
The complaint was about the ending of the song... What the fuck is wrong with the current ending?
Just play the damn song as it was recorded.

/end of drunk rant.

pcpunk
08-15-2014, 09:31 AM
They did play "Sin" right after the curtain came back up — and it was SO VERY ANGRY.
THAT'S RIGHT! it was Beside You In Time they skipped. stupid brain.

MrSlfDstruct
08-16-2014, 09:30 PM
I feel like The Slip would be a much better record if they didn't put Lights In The Sky, Corona Radiata, and The Four Of Us Are Dying in that order. Not that any one of those three are bad songs, particularly Lights In The Sky, but the record starts with a ton of momentum and then really slams on the brakes for almost 15 minutes.

I should try rearranging the tracks sometime . . .

MrSlfDstruct
08-16-2014, 09:33 PM
I'm drunk. Listening to The Perfect Drug. Damn that song is good.
I will never understand the reason why that song is not being played live.
The complaint was about the ending of the song... What the fuck is wrong with the current ending?
Just play the damn song as it was recorded.

/end of drunk rant.

I never got this either. Maybe don't drag the ending out quite as long as on the actual track, but it's not like they don't play quiet songs in their entirety. If they went straight from the ending into something like 1,000,000, Burn, Reptile that would kick ass.

Halo Infinity
08-16-2014, 09:44 PM
@kleiner352 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4417) - I forgot your exact words, but didn't you say that listening to Still for the very first time was like a rite of passage for Nine Inch Nails fans?

If so, I certainly see what you mean, as every Nine Inch Nails fan I've met in real life never heard of Still before I met them and told them about it. This also makes me wonder if there were other NIN fans that met NIN fans that weren't even aware of Still's existence, yet again.

implanted_microchip
08-16-2014, 10:09 PM
@kleiner352 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4417) - I forgot your exact words, but didn't you say that listening to Still for the very first time was like a rite of passage for Nine Inch Nails fans?

If so, I certainly see what you mean, as every Nine Inch Nails fan I've met in real life never heard of Still before I ever met them and told them about it. This also makes me wonder if there were other NIN fans that met NIN fans that weren't even aware of Still existence, yet again.
That actually is almost exactly what I remember saying! It really is a surprisingly unknown release; it almost seems like it was put out as an after thought, considered a bonus disc, at the tail end of an album era, and somehow that understated release fits it extremely well.

Deepvoid
08-16-2014, 10:19 PM
Still has some of the most powerful stuff Trent has ever written imo.
Leaving Hope & And All That Could Have Been have been haunting me since the first time I heard them.

seasonsinthesky
08-17-2014, 09:46 AM
I never got this either. Maybe don't drag the ending out quite as long as on the actual track, but it's not like they don't play quiet songs in their entirety. If they went straight from the ending into something like 1,000,000, Burn, Reptile that would kick ass.

see, i was thinking the opposite direction — i think the end, if played without the sudden cutoff, would segue perfectly into a piano piece like "The Frail" or one of the piano-based Ghosts tracks. the trick would be finessing the transition, but TR somehow did it out of the madness at the end of "Piggy," so i think he can manage it.

TPD is the perfect threshold song to end the opening, fast-paced part of the set and usher in the quieter, usually darker second phase that often happens at gigs (with the screen coming down and whatever else). and if the surprise needs to be kept, it'd be the perfect encore song to introduce before moving onto "Hurt" or TDTWWA.

Microwave Jellyfish
08-18-2014, 05:33 AM
Just found out that my interpretation of The Four of Us Are Dying's artwork - I always thought it's a pretty clear representation of four clocks - is not shared by NINwiki. Strange. Feels like I've been living a lie.

eversonpoe
08-18-2014, 01:08 PM
Just found out that my interpretation of The Four of Us Are Dying's artwork - I always thought it's a pretty clear representation of four clocks - is not shared by NINwiki. Strange. Feels like I've been living a lie.

that's how i've always seen it, too.