PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

bobbie solo
06-20-2016, 09:27 AM
I'm not trying to sanctify the guy

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/006/026/futuramafry.jpg

Khrz
06-20-2016, 09:55 AM
Honestly, whatever rocks your boat at this point. There's an inevitable self-awareness when using terms such as "sanctify", "disappointed "," hurt ", and I'm not going to jumps through hoops just to avoid the puns.

Krazy
06-20-2016, 10:42 AM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/006/026/futuramafry.jpg

Dont drag me into this.

cashpiles (closed)
06-20-2016, 11:49 AM
I just had the thought that a Fall release for new NIN material would feel really good. Fall is such a romantic and bittersweet season. Trent could get all Victorian on our asses. He always talks about setting parameters or constraints on his projects..so for this project he could only use Victorian instruments in conjunction with synths and computers.

BenAkenobi
06-20-2016, 12:22 PM
I wasn't following this entire "Trent + Apple = Love" topic lately, excuse me if i ask why there's this talk about Apple Music upcoming launch? I was under impression that it launched a year ago.
Honestly can't wait for the popcorn show how Trent will continue this topic about Youtube. It's practically inevitable that he'll get questions on that every interview from now on. What if he purges nin/htda accounts tomorrow?

SchwarzerAbt
06-20-2016, 12:47 PM
I think that there is a difference between fans sharing pirated material and seeing it appear on YouTube.

Fans put it there and break copyright laws. But they do it out of enthusiasm mostly. YouTube (=Google) on the other hand has the tools to detect pirated material and take it down. But they don't do it. They broadcast it and earn money with it via ads.

So I can understand artists that feel angry when a big company like Google is making profits from their art while they don't get anything. And if Trent wants to build a fairerer business model he has to fight this injustice. I have no problem with that.

A website like YouTube is still a good thing. Bit there are ways to improve it so that it becomes fairer for all sides.

HurtinMinorKey
06-20-2016, 12:58 PM
I think that there is a difference between fans sharing pirated material and seeing it appear on YouTube.

Fans put it there and break copyright laws. But they do it out of enthusiasm mostly. YouTube (=Google) on the other hand has the tools to detect pirated material and take it down. But they don't do it. They broadcast it and earn money with it via ads.

So I can understand artists that feel angry when a big company like Google is making profits from their art while they don't get anything. And if Trent wants to build a fairerer business model he has to fight this injustice. I have no problem with that.

I wonder how Trent would feel if YouTube banned all NIN related videos and material, even the material Trent uploaded himself.

Khrz
06-20-2016, 01:03 PM
Sooooo, "What if Google missed the point entirely" then ?

niggo
06-20-2016, 01:55 PM
Not a real spotting, but anyway:

The interviewer (who interviewed Trent a few years ago I believe) says that Trent was addicted to Quake for a long time. @2:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVBDixfYuLk
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVBDixfYuLk)
Edit: Shit, wrong thread. Sorry!

billpulsipher
06-20-2016, 06:20 PM
dont know why Trent is so anti google..where else can you find such great clips like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shOc-5FxA3g

Vertigo
06-21-2016, 11:18 AM
Caught myself 'singing' the thwok-thwok song from Quake in the kitchen today (you know, Track 6, Life). There might be a parallel universe out there in which it was a #1 pop single.

m15a
06-21-2016, 07:12 PM
Edit: So, uh, I saw the other thread also had posts about the YouTube thing with some links. So what I posted before is partly irrelevant. But I still want to see some artists with pro-YouTube opinions on the matter. I still don't understand what preventing unlicensed videos from being posted has to do with what the artist chooses to upload themselves.

It's not an artists POV Trent's speaking from it the POV of an business man and that's sad.

What is the artists' POV then? Like, can you reference some quotes where other artists talk about why they do or don't like YouTube's policies? Maybe I missed it since I don't visit the board every day right now, but I haven't seen much actual citation of different the perspective of artists other than Trent on here. If Trent's perspective is so anti-artist while also jumping on the bandwagon of artists that are critical of YouTube, don't you think it seems appropriate to discuss those perspectives expressed from actual sources instead of just speculation?

That said, I don't personally care very much about this topic in itself. I just want to understand the context of what you all are talking about.

cashpiles (closed)
06-21-2016, 09:25 PM
if Trent's conflict with DMCA and artist's rights in general doesn't inspire emotionally charged, aggressive new music, I don't know what will.

HurtinMinorKey
06-22-2016, 09:41 PM
Edit: So, uh, I saw the other thread also had posts about the YouTube thing with some links. So what I posted before is partly irrelevant. But I still want to see some artists with pro-YouTube opinions on the matter. I still don't understand what preventing unlicensed videos from being posted has to do with what the artist chooses to upload themselves.

What is the artists' POV then? Like, can you reference some quotes where other artists talk about why they do or don't like YouTube's policies? Maybe I missed it since I don't visit the board every day right now, but I haven't seen much actual citation of different the perspective of artists other than Trent on here. If Trent's perspective is so anti-artist while also jumping on the bandwagon of artists that are critical of YouTube, don't you think it seems appropriate to discuss those perspectives expressed from actual sources instead of just speculation?

That said, I don't personally care very much about this topic in itself. I just want to understand the context of what you all are talking about.

Here is the POV that Trent and Co. are failing to perceive/account for.

1) Most artists generally want to get their art in front of as many people as possible.

2.) Fans want access to a wide variety of music/video without having to spend a ton of money buying everything they every listen or watch once.

3.) YouTube provided a solution to (1) and (2) that neither the recording industry, nor Apple, or anyone else was able to come up with.

Now, the solution in (3) was built (to some extent) on the use of copyrighted material; however, I think the unmet needs of (1) and (2) drastically outweigh any "harm" done to the wealthy 0.01% of artists who may have lost some revenue because of it.

begin rant/
I'm sure Trent is convinced that the only reason Hesitation Marks bombed commercially was because all of the people who loved it were secretly pressing replay on YouTube 24-7 instead of buying it, but the reality is that it was probably the worst album he has ever made (by a lot) and he's just not as popular as he used to be (not even close). But I'm sure it's much easier for him to blame YouTube instead of coming to grips with his own decline as a "rock star."
/rant

Khrz
06-22-2016, 09:46 PM
Reznor's implication with the project Daisy precedes HM, sooo...

HurtinMinorKey
06-22-2016, 10:36 PM
Reznor's implication with the project Daisy precedes HM, sooo...

I'm not following (and I know what Daisy was). So what?

m15a
06-22-2016, 10:45 PM

1) Most artists generally want to get their art in front of as many people as possible.

2.) Fans want access to a wide variety of music/video without having to spend a ton of money buying everything they every listen or watch once.

3.) YouTube provided a solution to (1) and (2) that neither the recording industry, nor Apple, or anyone else was able to come up with.

Now, the solution in (3) was built (to some extent) on the use of copyrighted material; however, I think the unmet needs of (1) and (2) drastically outweigh any "harm" done to the wealthy 0.01% of artists who may have lost some revenue because of it.

#1 isn't completely true. I've heard a lot of comments from artists that were pretty unhappy to find their music places where they didn't put it. And I'm not talking about just the "wealthy 0.01%" - people I personally know in the very non-commercial world of experimental computer music. They find their stuff on some crappy MP3 ringtone website and they're pretty unhappy about it. They find out their music was put on a compilation CD without their permission and they're pretty unhappy about it. These are real things I've heard people talk about. As far as more commercial artists, there are plenty of stories of bands that were annoyed that their music was used by some politician or whatever. Some are very reluctant to have their music in TV ads. Even though all these things increase the number of people that hear their music. Even I've been annoyed with how it has been presented in concerts to the extent that I wish it wasn't used, and barely anyone listens to what I make.

Most artists do want as their art in front of as many people as possible *if* they are choosing how it is presented. Sites like YouTube, Soundcloud, Vimeo, etc. do provide that while still satisfying point #2. The artist can upload their own stuff for free, YouTube still makes money of those uploads, and I don't think anyone is protesting that process. Maybe sites like YouTube can't exist without the posting of unlicensed material, so the trade off has to be considered (considered *by the artists* - fans don't get a say because they're not contributing anything to this unless the artists do happen to appreciate the exposure, in which case the artist can put a value to that exposure).

But if, like you said, only the "wealthy" 0.01% are losing revenue and all other artists are helped by the exposure, then it should be easy to find artists from the other 99.99% that have come out to speak against this open letter (and that's not the same as saying they value YouTube). I want to see what those artists are saying about their point of view and experiences and why they think the other point of view is wrong.

cashpiles (closed)
06-22-2016, 10:48 PM

begin rant/
I'm sure Trent is convinced that the only reason Hesitation Marks bombed commercially was because all of the people who loved it were secretly pressing replay on YouTube 24-7 instead of buying it, but the reality is that it was probably the worst album he has ever made (by a lot) and he's just not as popular as he used to be (not even close). But I'm sure it's much easier for him to blame YouTube instead of coming to grips with his own decline as a "rock star."
/rant

true though Trent wanting to make more money out of his older releases is probably also part of it.

ChipRock
06-24-2016, 03:25 AM
So today, of all days, I'd be really really frickin' grateful for a surprise NIN release. (from England)

blassster
06-25-2016, 06:29 PM
I'd be pleased if David Fincher and Rooney Mara were involved in the next video.

wizfan
06-25-2016, 07:02 PM
I hope Aaron is still okay.

nooneimportant
06-25-2016, 08:37 PM
Trent's vocal adlibs during performances are the best, especially when he uses the echo effect.

sweeterthan
06-25-2016, 09:36 PM
Trent's vocal adlibs during performances are the best, especially when he uses the echo effect.

the closer I get
the worse it become comes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobbie solo
06-25-2016, 11:14 PM

HEY! (10 characters)

Ryan
06-27-2016, 07:14 AM
Caught myself 'singing' the thwok-thwok song from Quake in the kitchen today (you know, Track 6, Life). There might be a parallel universe out there in which it was a #1 pop single.

A thwok-thwok reminds me of something Dr Seuss would create...

Ryan
06-27-2016, 07:15 AM
Dont drag me into this.

Have I mentioned how much I love your short ass lately?

cashpiles (closed)
06-27-2016, 11:30 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion that Trent won't think of releasing anything until all this Youtube/royalties thing is worked out.

GibbonBlack
06-28-2016, 12:39 PM
I'm just watching through the Beside You In Time blu ray and it's laughable how the vocals you hear don't match the video on The Line Begins To Blur. I've never noticed it before

Bachy
06-28-2016, 08:53 PM
Eat your heart out, Steve.

eversonpoe
06-28-2016, 10:10 PM
Eat your heart out, Steve.

"fuck you, steve"

http://i.imgur.com/8LAmzOT.png

man, there are a lot of hilarious word combinations in that screenshot.

nooneimportant
06-28-2016, 11:56 PM
"fuck you, steve"

http://i.imgur.com/8LAmzOT.png

man, there are a lot of hilarious word combinations in that screenshot.

I'm a fan of Pissambience.

Thor
06-29-2016, 12:21 AM
DO Y'ALL REMEMBER WHEN TRENT TWITTED THAT THERE WAS GOING TO BE MORE NINE INCH NAILS IN 2016 (+other stuff)???? LIKE WHERE THE FUCK IS MY NEW MUSIC/TOUR/T-SHIRTS??? WHAT THE FUCK TRENT U CAN'T PLAY WITH MY HEART LIKE THAT </3

Ryan
06-29-2016, 01:47 AM
DO Y'ALL REMEMBER WHEN TRENT TWITTED THAT THERE WAS GOING TO BE MORE NINE INCH NAILS IN 2016 (+other stuff)???? LIKE WHERE THE FUCK IS MY NEW MUSIC/TOUR/T-SHIRTS??? WHAT THE FUCK TRENT U CAN'T PLAY WITH MY HEART LIKE THAT </3

"But then again, that might have been a dream."

m15a
06-29-2016, 03:28 AM

[whispered] I wish I could turn back time, impossible as it may seem. But I wish I could so bad. Quit playing games with my heart.

nooneimportant
06-29-2016, 06:05 AM

It's only June 2016. If we don't get any peep by Thanksgiving or Christmas then we can worry.

sweeterthan
06-29-2016, 07:17 AM
July is Friday. Let's just say it's mid year and not one drop of new nin has fallen. Pure fucking torture.

Ryan
06-29-2016, 07:57 AM
July is Friday. Let's just say it's mid year and not one drop of new nin has fallen. Pure fucking torture.

We have to keep thinking that somewhere in the world there is a whiteboard with various different track listing variations for a new NIN record just waiting to be finalised, pressed and released. And that all the promotion is almost ready to go.

sweeterthan
06-29-2016, 09:31 AM
We have to keep thinking that somewhere in the world there is a whiteboard with various different track listing variations for a new NIN record just waiting to be finalised, pressed and released. And that all the promotion is almost ready to go.

I want to believe

thefragile_jake
06-29-2016, 12:23 PM
With this random reveal of a new Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross song on iTunes, I have a feeling we're starting to get a little closer to more news coming from the NIN camp on stuff coming out this year.

Thor
06-29-2016, 02:04 PM
With this random reveal of a new Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross song on iTunes, I have a feeling we're starting to get a little closer to more news coming from the NIN camp on stuff coming out this year.

WHAT?? What new song? I can't find shit on my itunes

m15a
06-29-2016, 02:37 PM
Just saw that in the other subforum. Well, that covers "other stuff". Half way through the year and half of the tweet confirmed.

cashpiles (closed)
06-29-2016, 10:25 PM
It's becoming more and more apparent that Trent's good music mojo is fully sapped. Interestingly enough, we may live to the days when Trent's children grow up and possibly create new ground-breaking music.

katara
06-30-2016, 07:56 AM
Interestingly enough, we may live to the days when Trent's children grow up and possibly create new ground-breaking music.
Or they may forever live in His Shadow. The Prince of Darkness. The Goth King of Industrial Pop. With His Crown of Shit™ and His Arms a Flip-Floppin'.

tony.parente
06-30-2016, 12:38 PM
Holy fucking shit this is by FAR my favorite cover of any nine inch nails song in history and it's a fucking cover of Closer. If you've ever heard of bourbon crow (it's Wednesday 13s campy outlaw country side project) this is the other guy, Rayen. Holy shit guys this is so fucking good.

https://soundcloud.com/rayen-belchere/nin-closer-acoustic-cover

Volband
06-30-2016, 02:34 PM
All right, this new song penned by Trent and Atticuss is what I've actually been waiting for. Sure, it's just the first step, but what an instrumental masterpiece it is? No doubt [that] by the end of the year we will get some high quality tracks with vocals too. But back to this song, Juno. Every note is where it's supposed to be, it completely wraps the listeners' ears around the feeling of exploration. Of something new. Your first steps as a baby, your first school day, your first crush, your first bike, and for some, your journey to Mars, when the day comes. Isn't it amazing how such a seemingly, on the surface simple song can fulfill you, me, us with such... feelings! Don't want to say emotions, because it's nothing I've ever experienced before. It's just... I'm sorry for being so all over the place, I'm actually in tears, wow. Gee, I feel silly but Trent did it again... It was worth the wait guys, and personally, I am content for at least till December. :)

DID I SERIOUSLY WAITED FOR SO LONG FOR THIS PIECE OF FUCKING SHIT YOU OUTDID 38 TIMES ON AN ALBUM WHICH WAS RECORDED ON THE SPOT, ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING WITH ME THAT YOU ARE DOING THESE AMBIENT SHIT NOW, AND THE WORST OF IT YOU CUNTFACE REFUSE TO RELEASE TENSION FOR SOME GODFUCKINGKNOWS REASON, JESUS FUCK MAN, AT LEAST GIVE US THE MUSIC YOU ALREADY MADE IF YOU WANT TO SHOVE DOWN YOUR AMBIENT DICK DOWN ON OUR THROATS, IM SO FUCKING SICK OF THIS JESUS.

I mean, 4 minutes of this song would've been a Ghosts hit, but that's it. I'm not mad though, but it's still fucking funny.:D

Khrz
06-30-2016, 03:04 PM
Well that post encapsulates the whole fandom quite nicely.

/thread
/forum

blassster
06-30-2016, 05:02 PM
Since his time at Apple I've been fearing Apple-exclusive releases, even for small things and even if it's just a timed exclusive. Out of principle, I usually don't support platform-exclusive releases from bigger artists (especially in lossy formats) but I tried to make an exception this time. This is even after someone was kind enough to send it to me.

Installed Apple Music on Android and I couldn't find a way to buy Juno, iTunes on a desktop must still be required. They need to get their shit together and merge the capabilities, and/or move iTunes Store to the web. For a company who claims to prioritize user experience (or is known to attempt this?), there's much fucking friction with their services. They don't want my money. Sigh.
/rant

eversonpoe
07-01-2016, 08:59 AM
Since his time at Apple I've been fearing Apple-exclusive releases, even for small things and even if it's just a timed exclusive. Out of principle, I usually don't support platform-exclusive releases from bigger artists (especially in lossy formats) but I tried to make an exception this time. This is even after someone was kind enough to send it to me.

Installed Apple Music on Android and I couldn't find a way to buy Juno, iTunes on a desktop must still be required. They need to get their shit together and merge the capabilities, and/or move iTunes Store to the web. For a company who claims to prioritize user experience (or is known to attempt this?), there's much fucking friction with their services. They don't want my money. Sigh.
/rant

as far as i understand it, Apple Music is a completely separate streaming-only service that has essentially nothing to do with buying songs/albums via the iTunes store. why they haven't made it one seamless thing yet, i'm not sure, but i think it has mostly to do with the fact that iTunes and the iTunes store have existed for over ten years (iTunes itself is 18 years old) and Apple Music is essentially brand new and functions completely differently.

botley
07-01-2016, 09:07 AM
Yes. There is Apple Music (cross-platform, paid subscription service) and the iTunes music store (į la carte downloads, accessible on Apple devices and Windows with iTunes software) — two different libraries.

nooneimportant
07-01-2016, 11:04 PM
The first performance of A Warm Place is incredible. I can't imagine being in the crowd and just having it suddenly hit you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_YQHa8MpaY

If only they had Alessandro on hand to do the synth part like he did during Tension, then it would've been even greater.

Papagolash
07-02-2016, 12:44 AM
The first performance of A Warm Place is incredible. I can't imagine being in the crowd and just having it suddenly hit you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_YQHa8MpaY

If only they had Alessandro on hand to do the synth part like he did during Tension, then it would've been even greater.

It was fucking phenomenal. I remember seeing some ETS people freaking out on Twitter after they saw the setlist on stage before the show(didn't spoil it either), and telling my friends "I bet it's The Downward Spiral played all the way through" and sure enough we got it. Only when The Becoming started did I accept what was happening, because they had done MSD->Ruiner once before in Europe.

nooneimportant
07-02-2016, 05:03 AM
It was fucking phenomenal. I remember seeing some ETS people freaking out on Twitter after they saw the setlist on stage before the show(didn't spoil it either), and telling my friends "I bet it's The Downward Spiral played all the way through" and sure enough we got it. Only when The Becoming started did I accept what was happening, because they had done MSD->Ruiner once before in Europe.

It reminds me of when I saw Primus live for the first time in 2010. I was expecting a good show but was upset that a few days later in L.A. they would be playing their album Frizzle Fry in it's entirety. After about 5 songs I realized they were doing a surprise performance of the album in it's entirety. It was fantastic.

Hazekiah
07-02-2016, 05:36 AM
JMFC
I WOULD
FUCKING DIE
\m/ O______O \m/

_T_B_W_
07-02-2016, 09:14 AM
Really wish there was some sort of audio of the Reptilian remix that was supposedly played live in the Netherlands on March 16, 2007.

SM Rollinger
07-02-2016, 09:25 AM

I was at the first performance of the Tension tour and I my totally teared up when they played AWP. Freakin awesomeness.

The 2 performances of TDS would have been even better if they broke out the original arrangement of Closer. No excuses here, I don't know why they dint, kinda takes you out of the moment when TOT breakdown starts. :(

seasonsinthesky
07-02-2016, 09:37 AM
Really wish there was some sort of audio of the Reptilian remix that was supposedly played live in the Netherlands on March 16, 2007.

It wasn't played live. According to the NIN.wiki setlist, it was the intro tape.

_T_B_W_
07-02-2016, 09:40 AM
It wasn't played live. According to the NIN.wiki setlist, it was the intro tape.

Ah, that makes much more sense then.

implanted_microchip
07-02-2016, 09:59 PM
I never knew until recently just how badly I want a NIN cover of A Night Like This by The Cure.

cashpiles (closed)
07-03-2016, 09:49 AM
When Year Zero came out, I listened to it religiously for a couple months and then after that a few more times up to 2008 or 2009. I decided to listen to it in its entirety last night.

Trent and co. were on to something. The sound design receives top marks for its creativity and uniqueness. The effect the music and sounds had on me last night were mind-bending, like I was taking drugs, except that I really wasn't taking drugs.

You hear several (much better) Satellite-like songs on here and this is an interesting link from Hesitstion Marks to this album.

Some of the melodies and riffs on Year Zero are fantastic. It could have been a Beatles-caliber album and maybe the best NIN album of all if it weren't for some shortcomings in lyrics, certain vocal performances and one particular 3 seconds that ruins The Great Destroyer (the infamous superhero-like part where he blasts out the song title).

NIN were inspired here and going wild with creativity. A producer who would have edited the songs to remove some of the bad ideas or cheesy bits could really have made this album unbeatable.

cashpiles

eversonpoe
07-03-2016, 02:32 PM
...and one particular 3 seconds that ruins The Great Destroyer (the infamous superhero-like part where he blasts out the song title)

that, leading into the breakdown, was literally the ONLY thing i liked about Year Zero the first time i listened to it. i wanted the whole album to be like that. these beautiful moments of elation followed by complete and total destruction. i still love it.

mfte
07-03-2016, 03:30 PM
I am in a throwback mood this afternoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRtRvoVQvmM

implanted_microchip
07-04-2016, 12:37 AM
How on Earth did I just now notice the subtle vocal echo on the "and on"'s during Beside You in Time? I fucking swear fifty years from now I'll still be picking out new things in the mix of NIN records.

Ryan
07-04-2016, 01:27 AM
How on Earth did I just now notice the subtle vocal echo on the "and on"'s during Beside You in Time? I fucking swear fifty years from now I'll still be picking out new things in the mix of NIN records.

fifty years from now you'll be a head in a jar Futurama style making sexual innuendo jokes to me every day.

implanted_microchip
07-04-2016, 03:14 AM
fifty years from now you'll be a head in a jar Futurama style making sexual innuendo jokes to me every day.

T'would be a beautiful life

Is that what Vessel's really about?

nooneimportant
07-04-2016, 07:03 AM
I could really go for another Year Zero, especially since I wasn't around for the ARG when it was unfolding. It must have been really fun, I mean, I had fun looking at the sites and reading about it after the fact but in real time? That shit must've been great.

reznovka
07-04-2016, 10:05 AM
I could really go for another Year Zero, especially since I wasn't around for the ARG when it was unfolding. It must have been really fun, I mean, I had fun looking at the sites and reading about it after the fact but in real time? That shit must've been great.

You're not alone!!!

henryeatscereal
07-04-2016, 10:15 AM
Maybe it will be a stretch, but i think the title for "The Downward Spiral" is an allusion for Jeff Ward (downWARD-jeffWARD); if it's not, it's a very interesting coincidence since the album remembers him on the credits...

implanted_microchip
07-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Maybe it will be a stretch, but i think the title for "The Downward Spiral" is an allusion for Jeff Ward (downWARD-jeffWARD); if it's not, it's a very interesting coincidence since the album remembers him on the credits...

Jeff Ward died March 1993 according to Google. The title The Downward Spiral was mentioned in the Broken press release in 1992: http://www.nin.wiki/File:Broken_uk12promo_presssheet_lq.jpg

neorev
07-04-2016, 04:47 PM
Ehhh, Year Zero was kinda the beginning of the end... no pun intended

But I felt the production has been lacking since then. He's found a sound that hasn't really changed at all throughout any of his projects since.

Ghosts has hints/moments of greatness that could have been transformed into some great tracks.

The story surrounding Year Zero is greater than the album itself. I honestly only like My Violent Heart and In This Twilight.

Trent's production used to be jarring and dangerous while feeling organic. It was raw and unhinged while also emotional and beautiful... where as now it feels safe and sterile and predictable. It's too artificial. I feel the production has become souless. The music just doesn't suit the raw emotion in his lyrics. Lately, the music almost feels like it pulls him back and holds him from letting loose.

All The Love In The World was the last time a NIN record brought an uncontrollable smile of glee to my face when I first put it on.

I still love ya Trent and would love to see you break out of this single style approach to your music. I wanna be shocked and surprised again.

Bachy
07-04-2016, 05:09 PM
I know "Closer" kind of gets a bad rap with certain NIN fans because it's either overplayed or it just annoys them that while not being the greatest thing Trent has written, it's probably the most identifiable to someone outside of the Nine Inch Nails community. Now having said that, goddammit if I don't love that fucking song. The way it evolves is so perfect.

Ryan
07-04-2016, 05:26 PM
Jeff Ward died March 1993 according to Google. The title The Downward Spiral was mentioned in the Broken press release in 1992: http://www.nin.wiki/File:Broken_uk12promo_presssheet_lq.jpg

Shut down by logic!

On the topic of that Broken press release, I've always found it quite eerie how Trent worded it all and how confident he was in everything that early on in the band's career. It's like you're getting a brief insight into his mind and how well calculated he always has everything.

And if Broken was phase three: the becoming, what was phase 4?

phase 3: the becoming
???
profit!

neorev
07-04-2016, 05:26 PM
I know "Closer" kind of gets a bad rap with certain NIN fans because it's either overplayed or it just annoys them that while not being the greatest thing Trent has written, it's probably the most identifiable to someone outside of the Nine Inch Nails community. Now having said that, goddammit if I don't love that fucking song. The way it evolves is so perfect.

I don't listen to Closer much nowadays and yes, it was way overplayed... but come on! It's a genius track.

There's not many songs as dark and non-commercial like this that get crazy mainstream success.

The only other song would be like The Prodigy's "Firestarter" or something.

Songs that carve out their own place in the mainstream while breaking all of the rules. Their iconic tracks that probably would have been barred from daytime radio play or any radio play honestly, but are just too frigging good.

You cannot downplay its genius.

elevenism
07-04-2016, 11:56 PM
i think i'm seeing my childhood musical hero becoming a film composer who used to have a band.
it's kinda grim, but i'm pretty sure it's happening.

elevenism
07-05-2016, 12:12 AM
=neorev;307878
The only other song would be like The Prodigy's "Firestarter" or something.

also...i'm the self inflicted...mine detonator

sorry, i can't help it

edit: seriously, this is hard to watch. i am now comparing nin to the prodigy, who is still going hard as fuck. sigh.
why can't nin keep going hard as rusty nails? it seriously appears to be disintegrating. that's honestly what it looks like.

neorev
07-05-2016, 12:22 AM
also...i'm the self inflicted...mine detonator

sorry, i can't help it

It's kinda interesting with "Firestarter" cuz on the surface it became this pop electronica track with a catchy chorus lyric that rockers could get into, but underneath are these deeply personal lyrics written by Keith Flint, especially if you know a little more about his life and childhood. Your commercial radio listener just thinks it's a song about starting fires. That's why I find it such a strange commercially successful track, like "Closer," being played amongst the other regular hits at the time. I guess "Closer" was a little more on the nose with its infamous "I want to fuck you like an animal" lyric lol. But again, both tracks are these dark looks into someone's personal psyche while also becoming pop sensation even though the music itself is not pop whatsoever.

Volband
07-05-2016, 06:45 AM
Ehhh, Year Zero was kinda the beginning of the end... no pun intended

But I felt the production has been lacking since then. He's found a sound that hasn't really changed at all throughout any of his projects since.

Ghosts has hints/moments of greatness that could have been transformed into some great tracks.

The story surrounding Year Zero is greater than the album itself. I honestly only like My Violent Heart and In This Twilight.

Trent's production used to be jarring and dangerous while feeling organic. It was raw and unhinged while also emotional and beautiful... where as now it feels safe and sterile and predictable. It's too artificial. I feel the production has become souless. The music just doesn't suit the raw emotion in his lyrics. Lately, the music almost feels like it pulls him back and holds him from letting loose.

All The Love In The World was the last time a NIN record brought an uncontrollable smile of glee to my face when I first put it on.

I still love ya Trent and would love to see you break out of this single style approach to your music. I wanna be shocked and surprised again.
Interesting, personally I found YZ's story just OK, and I like to consider the tracks and their lyrics individually, as songs like Vessel or Me, I'm Not are much more interesting when I try to interpret on my own, than saying "oh yea, it's about this and that imaginary drug".

Not sure about you criticising his sound either. The Slip was a big fuck you to everything and everyone. Like it or not, in a way The Slip fully embodies what NIN stands or at least stood for. I don't think NIN is perfection, that would be boring; it's not what caught my attention. NIN is honest, versatile and not afraid. The only record in my eyes which breaks the bold is HM. A bunch of decent or even good tracks which I almost all forgot about. The only song from that record still on my mp4 is Came Back Haunted, because I just fucking love the energy of it, but the other tracks on the record absolutely lacks it. It's How To Destroy Angels featuring Trent Reznor. Sure, if I could choose between getting another Hesitation Marks or no new NIN record, I'd go with the former.

It's true what you say about artificial sounding, but I only consider it a problem with his scores and solo work (or work with Atticuss, OR with the 2nd HTDA record). Ie. With Teeth was raw, but it fit that record fucking well, and unlike the second HTDA record or his recent soundtracks, that record had a very distinct vibe, I still consider WT one of my favorite NIN records. Recently I talked about how unappreciated EDIETS is, but I could go on and talk about how Love Is Not Enough is such a rare NIN song, as it might be the only one where love actually means love [towards a significant other], and not a metaphor for drugs. And that song is fucking cold, because you'd immidietly try to explore the lyric jungle, look behind the menaing of every word, but you really don't have to, it is what it is, love is just not enough, that's the cold truth Trent is shouting at us. Maybe right now I'm trying to sell an empty canvass as beautiful art, but for me, it worked fucking well, and I don't care if Even Deeper or The Great Below are better composed songs about love/loss/affection/etc . NIN is great because it has all these songs in its repertoire.

Yes, The Slip definitely falters in this aspect, but to me, it more than makes up with its spontaneity. It's a one off record, and we always have to talk about it within context. Absolutely no point comparing it to TDS or any other previous NIN records, but to be fair, it was never hyped either or presented as the next great thing. That's why the first real loss was Hesitation Marks, because that record sounds like it had even less effort put into it than certain The Slip materials, yet it's presented as this peculiar work of minimal art. No, it's fucking lazy, and the only reason I actually like it more than I don't, because Trent is just a genius, and he knows how to make catchy music. There is one ballsy song on that record and that is Everything. I'm not saying every song which is ballsy should be praised, I mean, Trent could release a song where he plays the banjo for 20 minutes and it would be ballsy but probably bad. I'm just saying HM lacks both creativity and power. I might say that record is the fucking best once I'll sit on my arcmchair in my garden, watching my grandchildren running around, but right now, every song (except for CBH, Everything and Satellite) just feels like a weaker version of some previous NIN songs.

Volband
07-05-2016, 06:50 AM
I don't like Closer that much. Yes, it's a piece of art, but Jesus, I just can't stand when people are talking about it. All I can imagine is a bunch of hypocrites sitting in an armchair with their pipes. Trent made much better songs than that, and it would be easier to like it, if people would not suck that songs dick all the time - no offense though, I totally get how much it might mean for most of you, as you probably grew up listening to it in the radio, but for me, who found NIN first and then Closer... not so much.

As for The Prodigy, I just saw them live last Saturday and maaaaaaaan. Surprisingly, Breathe and Voodoo People were rather meh, but aside from that, they rocked us quite fucking hard. I'm not even a Prodigy fan but it was a blast and I'd go again. Meanwhile Trent has a hard time to even release a finished live DVD. Daymmmmnn.

BenAkenobi
07-05-2016, 07:02 AM
...The Slip ... It's a one off record, and we always have to talk about it within context...

I have a dream that one day we'll hear its cousin called The Grip :o

--edit--
Closer has one of the best maxi singles in the discography. Together with Fixed and TFA, Closer to god makes a dictionary definition of a great remix CD.

ChipRock
07-05-2016, 09:53 AM
one of the best maxi singles
Absolutely hell yes. To this day Closer To God is what I grab when I want some NIN, but ain't quite sure what. FDTS had its moments, but the MOTP b-sides plus this are where it's at for me. Of course they should have stuck that video mix of March on the Closer CD, but that's nitpicking.

Interesting to think back to Year Zero. It seems to get a lot of love from fans, but the ARG stuff never appealed to me, and over time I've come to enjoy YZ tracks as live over the actual record. If NIN would do a full YZ live show (as with TDS) before they pack it in I would be well pleased.

henryeatscereal
07-05-2016, 10:18 AM
Didn't knew that, thanks!

SchwarzerAbt
07-05-2016, 10:25 AM
Wow, am I the only one here who actually liked HM and is still playing it regularly?

To me it does have a lot of identity of its own and I like the flow of the songs which is only broken by Everything, really. They may not be super agressive, but NIN have explored that in the past. It's still different in tone to HtDA and it's still an awesome album!

implanted_microchip
07-05-2016, 11:20 AM
Wow, am I the only one here who actually liked HM and is still playing it regularly?

To me it does have a lot of identity of its own and I like the flow of the songs which is only broken by Everything, really. They may not be super agressive, but NIN have explored that in the past. It's still different in tone to HtDA and it's still an awesome album!

I like HM quite a lot. I have more a feeling of "Okay, after this, no more of that" than of "God I don't like this." It feels like the last bite of a really big meal that's perfectly satisfying and lovely but if you were to get another forkful, you'd be too overwhelmed. There's a sense of comfort and of familiarity on it that I just don't think NIN should be. NIN should be pushing things in new and weird directions and feeling out a space that hands have yet to touch, or, at least, not quite in the way it does.

To go from the sound of With Teeth to Year Zero -- that's head-spinning. PHM to Broken, or even Broken to TDS -- they're seismic shifts. TDS to The Fragile is extremely surprising. To go from an album where you felt like you were in a blender of electronic noise and manipulation and aggression and get dropped in the thick of something where La Mer exists -- that's nuts.

The Slip to Hesitation Marks is, eh. It's not a big leap at all. There's been a "style" in production for NIN that's been in every Trent Reznor project for several albums' worth of content now that I'm ready to hear get shaken up, but I don't expect it to be. I just feel like Trent talks a lot still about wanting to go into new territory, but he's become way too detail-oriented in that respect, so the tiny brushstrokes are wildly different but the overall picture is similar. Juno is so different from Gone Girl's compositions in detail and tone but the overall "sound" is still almost beige to me since we have so much of it.

HM dives into some fresh places at times -- All Time Low is starkly unique, Everything is a real attempt at something different whether you think it succeeds or not, Running is goddamned odd and I love it, While I'm Still Here/Black Noise coalesces into something very powerful and unique -- but I Would For You is so generic NIN to me. Disappointed feels like it could be a B-side from just about any NIN album since 2005, just retooled a bit. Some people bitched about Find My Way showing some possibly spiritual elements to it, but I loved that side of the song -- it felt new to me compared to the rest of the NIN oeuvre. I really love Satellite, but, holy hell, it absolutely does sound like a Year Zero B-side -- which, if this were Year Zero 2, would be just fine, but it's just, I don't know, almost lazy in a sense. I couldn't take a single PHM song and drop it into TF and it fit and I couldn't take a single TDS song and drop it into Ghosts and it fit (you could say A Warm Place, but the synth-heavy sound and texture of AWP is miles away from the piano and sparse guitars of Ghosts, IMO).

All of these albums feel like singular, unique, standalone pieces that generally follow a cohesion and vision from beginning to end -- The Fragile is the most-critiqued of not following that, but at the same time, it's a double album, and sideroads are going to get taken; that's part of the deal with a double record, most of the time. Hesitation Marks, on a number of occasions, feels like it could totally be from any other NIN album. Now, I see it as what I think it's intended as -- a look back on who Trent and in turn what NIN used to be and a reflection on that past, so I find that totally fine and acceptable since it conceptually is suitable. But it definitely reconfirms a feeling that the guy has said all he's going to say on those topics. It's a guy still fighting to get away from mental illness and addiction and it gave us a taste of that we'd never gotten -- struggling with that in the context of fatherhood and being a husband (I Would For You feels quite a lot like a fight in a relationship and guilt over mental illness, at least to my ears) and being at a place of established, indisputable success, but it doesn't feel like we'll get much more from that well again. Various Methods of Escape has said all of the last I think Trent's got to say about struggling with those things. I feel pretty set. I think some people were already at that point a while ago, so this was a "breaking point" for them in a sense. I'm just glad I wasn't one of them.

Also HM will have sentimental value for me as it's the first NIN record to release while I was a hardcore, avid fan and it was the first era I saw my favorite band live. Tension was my first concert ever and it's always going to be a deeply important and significant point in my life because of that. The slow drip of hype, watching livestreams of festivals and hearing the backing singers on The Wretched -- things like that are always going to be intertwined with that album for my ears. The excitement of holding a new NIN record in my hands, and looking at all the different artwork across every version of it -- that was magic for me. But for a lot of fans that wasn't a new experience with this band, and I'm sure it felt much more like "Alright, I've been here before. What else you got?" (Even though I think thematically that's part of the point of Hesitation Marks -- re-experiencing those problems as a much older adult and feeling just fucking exhausted with that inner fight.)

billpulsipher
07-05-2016, 11:29 AM
so does "new music this year" mean the same as "Tension dvd spring 2014"...are we looking at January 2018 for new NIN? its July and not a peep from the wizard. things be getting very slow in NIN land. you have people debating the pitchfork review from 1999 on another thread for god sake

BRoswell
07-05-2016, 11:52 AM

Nope. I quite enjoy it as well, though I admit that I haven't played it as much recently. It's been almost three years since it came out though, so that's to be expected.

xolotl
07-05-2016, 12:01 PM

HM has actually become my favorite NIN album over the years. (Beating out my The Fragile / The Slip tie that I'd been unable to break for awhile - I'm just super contrarian today! I still maintain that The Slip is bloody amazing from start to finish.)

I admit that I'm not listening to much NIN in general on a regular basis at the moment, but my past four NIN listens have been HM.

Edit: Oh, and I also absolutely adore those three-seconds of vocals on The Great Destroyer. Possibly my favorite moment on that album!

elevenism
07-05-2016, 12:07 PM
so does "new music this year" mean the same as "Tension dvd spring 2014"...are we looking at January 2018 for new NIN? its July and not a peep from the wizard. things be getting very slow in NIN land. you have people debating the pitchfork review from 1999 on another thread for god sake
Jesus Bill, i agree with you for once.

implanted_microchip
07-05-2016, 12:12 PM
I've never been more convinced someone existed to merely deprive all others of joy as much as they can because they themselves have none as I am when I see that man post

And The Great Destroyer's amazing. Perfect stuff. An album of TGD and Tetsuo-style music would make my body dehydrate like fruit in a trail mix from all the spontaneous ejaculation that would be occurring the whole way through.

Khrz
07-05-2016, 12:28 PM
I've never been more convinced someone existed to merely deprive all others of joy as much as they can because they themselves have none as I am when I see that man post

I don't know why he's so eager either, he'll loathe it as soon as it's released.

neorev
07-05-2016, 12:35 PM
@Volband (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3656)
With Teeth is definitely the last album Trent has done that I truly love from start to finish. The Slip is a step toward the right direction because of its rawness. With a little more work, I think could have been an amazing album. I do find myself listening to The Slip more so than Year Zero/HTDA/Ghosts/Scores/HM. There's moments throughout, but I'm left feeling pretty empty from these. I do agree that post-WT, it feels like we're getting rehash weaker versions of NIN tracks. For me, the production just feels cold and lifeless. My Violent Heart, In This Twilight, Letting You, Head Down, The Space Between, a couple of Ghost tracks, Satellite, and In Two... that's all that really has stuck with me since With Teeth. I took a challenge on here one time and made my own playlist of a single album made up of post-WT tracks to show that you could make a singular sounding album.

BRoswell
07-05-2016, 12:41 PM
I don't know why he's so eager either, he'll loathe it as soon as it's released.

Exactly. Plus, he conveniently forgot to mention how Trent and Atticus put out a new track just last week.

Dr Channard
07-05-2016, 12:41 PM

Nothing at all wrong with HM. It still gets plenty of play time with me.

Pensive introflection seems to be the main tone lyrically coupled with a somewhat softer vocal delivery. Not sure why this was suddenly upsetting and a big turnoff for so many (considering previous tracks like Something I Can Never Have, Hurt, Right Where It Belongs, In This Twilight, Lights in the Sky…).

Musically HM often employed looped synths and electronic beats with instrumentals layered in throughout… in much the same way Pretty Hate Machine did. Again, why did this approach suddenly warrant criticism when HM was released?

It’s bizarre.

I've never been more convinced someone existed to merely deprive all others of joy as much as they can because they themselves have none as I am when I see that man post.

The entertainment value provided by said posts is at least a 7 out of 10 in my book… well worth the price of admission.

WorzelG
07-05-2016, 12:55 PM

No you're not the only one. It's my favourite since The Fragile. Wish they'd brought the full line up out of the USA though, I'd give a lot to have heard While I'm Still Here / Black Noise live, the ACL and Tension videos of that are goosebumps inducing

bobbie solo
07-05-2016, 02:38 PM
Trent and co. were on to something. The sound design receives top marks for its creativity and uniqueness. The effect the music and sounds had on me last night were mind-bending, like I was taking drugs, except that I really wasn't taking drugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqRk5kXROS4

neorev
07-05-2016, 02:57 PM
I wanna see Trent bring in more of his glitch IDM influence... even if it's more of an instrumental album. He says he loves artists like Autechre and Aphex Twin. I wanna hear his take on that. I want Downward Spiral meets Drukqs meets Tri Repetae. I want Trent to create dangerous and unsafe music. I want Trent Reznor's Come To Daddy.

Substance242
07-05-2016, 05:20 PM
I've just invented, regarding music business, Apple etc.: "The Download spiral". Yes, that's all, good night. ;-)

elevenism
07-05-2016, 09:18 PM
i adore Year Zero and i ESPECIALLY adored the ARG, which is what brought me to ets in the first place.

cashpiles (closed)
07-06-2016, 12:09 AM
The Slip has aged well. It is much better than I remember it being back in 2008 when I only really liked Discipline. I can't listen to The Slip or Year Zero at the moment as they have such powerful effects on me: they partially bring me back to my personality/headspace from 2007-2008, and that isn't really a good thing as I have to perform at top condition in my new job. The old ways do not serve.

I listened to Year Zero once, a few days ago, after like 8 years of not listening to it, and since re-listening to it, the Year Zero songs have been stuck in my head. It isn't healthy... This album takes up a larger portion of my brain than I thought.

As for The Slip, I put it on before sleep and the first songs were heavy in a good way. After Discipline I fell asleep and can't remember the rest. I'll have to listen to this album again once I'm sure my current mind-frame can remain at the forefront.

And this brings me to the original reason for wanting to post. The absence of a new NIN album is causing this cannibalistic reaction in me, where I'm forced to feed on what we already have (old NIN albums)... but this can be a good thing.. because it seems that some of these albums needed more time for me to digest (The Slip)... Trent just released so much damn material back in the 2007-2008 era that I couldn't really take it all in... I'm going deep into The Slip soon....

m15a
07-06-2016, 12:45 AM
I don't like Closer that much. Yes, it's a piece of art, but Jesus, I just can't stand when people are talking about it. All I can imagine is a bunch of hypocrites sitting in an armchair with their pipes.

To be clear, you are on a NIN message board telling other NIN fans that you can't stand when they talk about certain NIN music they like? And you're telling us that you think we're a bunch of hypocrites (in some unspecified way)?

Your Name Here
07-06-2016, 01:02 AM

Volband
07-06-2016, 02:02 AM
Exactly. Plus, he conveniently forgot to mention how Trent and Atticus put out a new track just last week.
Oh, so now Juno is a track. I guess giving a sip of water after being strandled 2 years in the desert suddenly makes that tiny water into an ocean. That track is nothing. Slap Ghosts 39 to its name and it'd be an amazing Ghosts track. Release it as Juno after doing nothing NIN related for years and it's just meh.

Nothing at all wrong with HM. It still gets plenty of play time with me.

Pensive introflection seems to be the main tone lyrically coupled with a somewhat softer vocal delivery. Not sure why this was suddenly upsetting and a big turnoff for so many (considering previous tracks like Something I Can Never Have, Hurt, Right Where It Belongs, In This Twilight, Lights in the Sky…).

Musically HM often employed looped synths and electronic beats with instrumentals layered in throughout… in much the same way Pretty Hate Machine did. Again, why did this approach suddenly warrant criticism when HM was released?

It’s bizarre.

You just explained it yourself. We've heard it all before in better versions. It doesn't make the album nor the songs on it bad per se, I mean, if you make stripped down carbon copies of good songs, they are bound to end up somewhat good. The problem - for me - is that it's just not exciting at all. I could just put HM in right now and listen through it all no problem, would even sing along and shit, but I'd never show it to someone whom I'd like to introduce NIN. Just imagine all the hype I'd make, and then show them HM. Like, really? Is that the musical genius mega-talen Trent Reznor behind these revolutionary tracks like I Would For You and Disappointed? Hah!

NIN was always strong lyrically too. Yeah, theere's the ongoing debate of whether Trent makes just the best lyrics ever or he just literally can't come up with anything more complex than just writing down his thoughts, but either way, it always resonated well with the listener, it made the songs powerful. HM is just absolute garbage in that regard. CBH, Satellite and VMOE I like; nothing groundbreaking, but if I'm in the mood, these songs can fucking rooock, though to be fair, as I said, VMOE for example could never compete with SICNH or AATCHB or Hurt or... you get the idea. Find My Way is nice I guess. It's still a lazy album though, and I'd expectt much more from Trent and co.

@Volband (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3656)
With Teeth is definitely the last album Trent has done that I truly love from start to finish. The Slip is a step toward the right direction because of its rawness. With a little more work, I think could have been an amazing album. I do find myself listening to The Slip more so than Year Zero/HTDA/Ghosts/Scores/HM. There's moments throughout, but I'm left feeling pretty empty from these. I do agree that post-WT, it feels like we're getting rehash weaker versions of NIN tracks. For me, the production just feels cold and lifeless. My Violent Heart, In This Twilight, Letting You, Head Down, The Space Between, a couple of Ghost tracks, Satellite, and In Two... that's all that really has stuck with me since With Teeth. I took a challenge on here one time and made my own playlist of a single album made up of post-WT tracks to show that you could make a singular sounding album.
I have a hard time listening to The Slip, I like HM more for example, but I'd still rather Trent make The Slip which might be just a 7/10 for me, than make a safe, uninspired HM.

I like Year Zero though. Imo that record is a blast, and once again showed the versatility of NIN. If someone in the 90s would've showed you a song from YZ, you would've said it must be the end of the band. But Trent fucking got away with it, and it's their grooviest album to this day. I love the fucking energy of TBOTE, the drums just make me orga---, erm, you get it, such a hypey song. But songs like Me, I'm Not or Vessel have that Closer vibe, where you feel the boogie, you get turned on, but you are also angry, and it's just so fucking Nine Inch Nails even if it sounds nothing like Somewhat Damaged for example. Ah, I could just praise every song on that record, imma even put in The Warning now. Makes me feel in control, just like Meet Your Master.

As with every NIN record, I'm not saying you should like it, but it's just incompareable to the by the book lazy, safe production of HM. Jesus, the fucking distorted, chopped up guitar part of The Warning is more experimental than HM (minus Everything). HM is a solid 8 for me, but I really hope Trent does something ballsy for his next NIN record or EP. Or he puts in actual effort, if he just wants to play it safe. Not this minimalistic shit approach, where you try to sell "I pressed these two buttons" as revolutionary. It's not, especially if you you had been pressing those same two fucking buttons in the second HTDA record.

Volband
07-06-2016, 02:27 AM
To be clear, you are on a NIN message board telling other NIN fans that you can't stand when they talk about certain NIN music they like? And you're telling us that you think we're a bunch of hypocrites (in some unspecified way)?
All I did, was stating my opinion, that Closer's dick has been sucked off so many times, that it just feels insufferable when I run into another "- DAE CLOSER IS LIKE, I DON'T KNOW, BEST, MOST INNOVATIVE AND GROUNDBREAKING SONG EVER TO BE RELEASED??? - OMFG, DUDE, I THOUGHT I'M THE ONLY ONE, BUT YEAH. DID YOU KNOW THE SONG IS NOT ACTUALLY ABOUT SIMPLY FUCKING? HASHTAGDEEP HASHTAGLYRICALGENIUS" All I can think while reading these reoccurring conversations is shut the fuck up. :D

But nowhere did I say you are not allowed to do that, hell, I did not even say you should not do that - if I'm perfectly fine with bill's behaviour and stating his rather radical views (which to be honest, is more interesting than hearing that Closer is a good song; no shit fam), then why would I think people have no right to get on the Closer ride oh so often? I just stated my opinion, that I can't help but roll my eyes, just like when people start to discuss Queen, The Dark Side Of The Moon, The Beatles, le 90s kids, etc.

Like, seriously, I can just imagine someone new to the NIN camp thinking he will totally gets accepted immidietly if he posts a picture of himself wearing a Pink Floyd T-shirt (to show us his savvy when it comes to musical taste), and talks about how great Closer is.

It's also annoying when I bombard someone with a bunch of NIN songs, and the only track she really digs is Closer. Like... like... this is why we can't have nice things :(

Ryan
07-06-2016, 02:58 AM
^^^^^^ I am also a Cure fan, and one of the Cure's most recognizable songs is Lovesong that came from the album Disintegration which every song on that record is a good song, but Lovesong with all its airplay and the fact it was overplayed, IT IS STILL A GOOD SONG! and that is exactly how I feel about Closer by NIN. Of coarse there are other NIN songs that I love but Closer is a good song and a good song is a good song, no matter how much it is overplayed.

Yeah, I love that song too. Good comparison.

sweeterthan
07-06-2016, 06:22 AM
Hesitation Marks is not uninspired by any means. Just cuz you don't like it doesn't mean it's not good. Maybe it doesn't strike you the way other nin releases do but to say he wasn't inspired dismisses the effort. He even tried a different style with "everything" and every macho fan boy here slammed it despite it sounding like nothing else he's ever done.

My hope is he gets back to guitar based writing and live drums. The lack of these two things are what was missing from hesitation marks and why songs like VMOE fell flat live.

Volband
07-06-2016, 06:58 AM
Hesitation Marks is not uninspired by any means. Just cuz you don't like it doesn't mean it's not good. Maybe it doesn't strike you the way other nin releases do but to say he wasn't inspired dismisses the effort. He even tried a different style with "everything" and every macho fan boy here slammed it despite it sounding like nothing else he's ever done.

My hope is he gets back to guitar based writing and live drums. The lack of these two things are what was missing from hesitation marks and why songs like VMOE fell flat live.

From my perspective, the sentence would make sense like this: Just because it's uninspired, doesn't mean it's not good. It is a good record, the songs are catchy, you can find the groove, the melody, the slower songs, you name it. It's just nothing new, it's nothing daring.

But there are tons of good albums out there. You know the band Nickelback? They made a lot of good songs. Do they sound the very similar? Maybe, but you got your nice guitars, melody, heart-puncturing lyrics, etc. Like it or not, they made many good songs, and their 2005 record (All The Right Reasons) is a good record. Still, you won't find me on a Nickelback board.

As for Everything, who cares? I'm sure The Fragile, WT, YZ and TS were also criticized in their days - sure, not so heavily, but Everything is just one track. He did not give a fuck about those, why start now?

Ryan
07-06-2016, 07:01 AM
Imagine if "Everything" was slowed down and the lyrics were sung in a sinister style similar to the whispered vocals in The Great Collapse. Same lyrics, different delivery.

In fact, I bet there's an Everything (Dark Version) in the vaults just like this and everyone would go crazy for it.

Volband
07-06-2016, 07:26 AM
The biggest problem with Everything is how it screams it doesn't belong to that record. Imagine The Great Destroyer on The Fragile.

sweeterthan
07-06-2016, 07:34 AM
But who are you to say it's uninspired? I can say I don't like a song but I have no idea where an artist's head was when they created it. They might have been truly motivated to create this single piece or it could've been an idea that evolved. I realize I'm nit picking a word but it just seems insulting to say he wasn't inspired when most of the songs on the record are good.

Imagine if "Everything" was slowed down and the lyrics were sung in a sinister style similar to the whispered vocals in The Great Collapse. Same lyrics, different delivery.

In fact, I bet there's an Everything (Dark Version) in the vaults just like this and everyone would go crazy for it.

Like Prince's vault? Then we will never hear it because Trent will never die.

Ryan
07-06-2016, 07:35 AM
The biggest problem with Everything is how it screams it doesn't belong to that record. Imagine The Great Destroyer on The Fragile.

Why imagine that when Starfuckers is already on The Fragile?

nooneimportant
07-06-2016, 07:47 AM
If everyone heard the live band play Everything then I bet everyone would warm up to it. I personally enjoy the song. It's a a guitar song that doesn't have any guitar on it and that's what bothers people. I think Trent said that the song is suppose to make you go "Wait, what's happening here?" and that's exactly what you all have done.

I personally find That's What I Get to be the one NIN song that doesn't seem right. I still enjoy the song though.

Ryan
07-06-2016, 07:52 AM
If everyone heard the live band play Everything then I bet everyone would warm up to it.

I've always thought that too; picturing TR singing the lines in front of a live audience with all that energy.

nooneimportant
07-06-2016, 08:03 AM
I've always thought that too; picturing TR singing the lines in front of a live audience with all that energy.

Don't forget about Ilan Rubin's drums. His drumming made the songs on Hesitation Marks sound even better, especially on Copy of A.

Volband
07-06-2016, 08:20 AM
Well, on the plus side, if Trent was reading the recent responses to the HM criticism, then now he knows he could literally just go to the studio today, do some basic shit for a week, ask other musicians to do whatever the hell they want on his songs, make a cool cover, release the record and still get $$$. So, Trent, as you can see, you have absolutely no excuse to not release new NIN material!

Like, really, you ask me how do I know an album was uninspired when it has fucking Closer number 2 on it? No wonder Trent is releasing ambient music now, he slowly siphons away our brains, so we eventually put the bar so low for him, he can get away without working too hard. Genius indeed.

4 years from now on ETS:
- Duuude, have you heard the new NIN track?
- The 0:06 long one?
- Yeaaaah. The man's back at it with full force! He pressed three (!!) keys on a synth. Just.... wow.

Bill, where are you m8? I just now realized having absolutely no touch with reality and expecting Trent to time travel is still better, than to settle with so little. I'm just glad for the irony, that Trent's most disappointing song ever is actually titled Disappointed. It's like the dude just knew if years after the release people grow on that shit, it would be hilaaaaaarious.

HurtinMinorKey
07-06-2016, 09:17 AM
Well, on the plus side, if Trent was reading the recent responses to the HM criticism, then now he knows he could literally just go to the studio today, do some basic shit for a week, ask other musicians to do whatever the hell they want on his songs, make a cool cover, release the record and still get $$$. So, Trent, as you can see, you have absolutely no excuse to not release new NIN material!

At least one person agrees with everything you said about Hesitation Marks. If anything I think you are too kind. I always thought it HM sounded like TR sketched out a dozen songs, freestyled some lyrics, and had other people flesh out the sound. It's like the first album where Trent played the role of "Executive Artist"

WorzelG
07-06-2016, 09:19 AM
Jesus Volband stop getting so angry

nooneimportant
07-06-2016, 09:28 AM
- Duuude, have you heard the new NIN track?
- The 0:06 long one?

But I like Untitled alot, it really caps off the Head Like a Hole single perfectly.

neorev
07-06-2016, 09:42 AM
Don't forget about Ilan Rubin's drums. His drumming made the songs on Hesitation Marks sound even better, especially on Copy of A.

Yes, that's the one thing that I thought could have broken up the electronic monotony of HM, let Rubin rip on the drums here and there, give the record some peaks and troughs with energy. The stagnant electronic drums really killed the momentum in tracks for me. Tracks from HM seem to shine a bit more in the live setting with a band performing. It helped bring out the more organic side of the album and not feel so cold and sterile. The album just never feels to peak at all. Closest we got was Everything, which honestly didn't bother me like some folk here. Everything just made me happy to get something abrasive and energetic for once. But that's it. It just doesn't hit like other NIN records for me. And as much as I wasn't into the later releases, Year Zero, The Slip, Ghosts, etc. at least had some moments where it hit hard. Trent has a way of making a record flow and capture you, but I just didn't get that with HM. I think having Rubin play bits of drums here and there would have helped break things up a bit. Also get Pino in the studio! He knew how to liven up the basslines. And I gotta say, they sounded great with those female singers. Trent needs to find a way to bring that live sound and energy into the studio. That's how it felt pre-Year Zero, like a real collaboration of people and finding and creating new sounds organically and electronically. But lately, it's just become Trent and Atticus alone together fiddling with knobs. I wish he would bring in more people like he does live to help expand the NIN palette. We've seen and heard what just him and Atticus can do.

Volband
07-06-2016, 09:55 AM
At least one person agrees with everything you said about Hesitation Marks. If anything I think you are too kind. I always thought it HM sounded like TR sketched out a dozen songs, freestyled some lyrics, and had other people flesh out the sound. It's like the first album where Trent played the role of "Executive Artist"
Yay, let's suck eachother! Really though, as whiny as Trent's first record was:
- he was still young
- IT WAS MADE WITH BALLS. We can laugh about Kinda I Want To, That's What I Get, The Only Time, or the stolen Dig It, but the guy - yes the guy who ~25 years later could not come up with but one original idea - made hits like Terrible Lie and Head Like A Hole, and let's not forget Something I Could Never Have, which stood the test of time so well, that song alone pisses on HM in its entirety if we talk about balls and creativity.

And the absolute saddest thing? Imagine someone telling Trent Reznor back in the end of the 80s, while he was staring down all the synths and uitars and whatnot while being in the studio, that one day, one motherfucking day he will say "I could sit here and create the sickest sounds and melodies... but I'm just gonne go with some stripped down brainless beat, because how cool is that, right? Not actually doing anything." He would've cried himself.

Jesus @Volband (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3656) stop getting so angry
Hah, thanks for looking out for me, but it's just an act - I am somewhat passionate about this, but I'm only mad about Juno, and not due to its quality. I do mean what I say, but I already said HM is an 8 for me, it's just you guys just can't accept for what it is. Or maybe I'm wrong, who knows, I'm all out for playing this game. What took more effort, And All That Could Have Been (song) or I Would For You? What's the better version of Closer? Closer or All Time Low? What was more innovative, Trent using the swarmatron for Copy Of A, whch he already used with HTDA, or when he released a stripped down EP (Still) - edit: should've said Year Zero probably, Still was more of a "let's do something I did not do before!", you know, something Copy Of A is not. What is worse, the music or the lyrics in Disappointed? Find My Way has nice lyrics, yea? Imagine if Trent at least gave half the fucks into the music around it as he did with Even Deeper for example. CBH is Discipline number 2, but at least he went apeshit with the electronics so that track is fine in my books, but still, it's a carbon copy electronic version of Discipline. In Two lyrically starngely reminds of a NIN song where the protagonist struggles with his inner demon, who becomes over him. Dang it, wish I could remember it! Running is a good idea ruined by not giving a fuck. Satellite is the one track which sounds original and could've stand its ground on an actual new NIN record. Absolutely no surprise that the song had nothing to do with the HM recording sessions.

Just accept that a record can be good AND uninspired at the same time. Comments like "I like HM" or "It's one of my fav. records!" have nothing to do with its quality.

edit: oh yeah, and Everything could also be a standalone song but I really don't think that it needs to be mentioned anymore.

implanted_microchip
07-06-2016, 10:20 AM
Am I really supposed to be upset that NASA asked a nerdy guy to make a song for them and he said "you fuckin' got it"? Juno was quite literally a time-sensitive special historical event thing and I don't really think Trent went "This is to tide everybody over!"

Some people are really eager to get bitchy about everything that isn't exactly what they wish somebody else would make even though it's not even like these things are really keeping us from getting something else, anyway. People think HM sounds uninspired yet they want Trent to bunker down and just force out another NIN record as if that wouldn't be the living definition of uninspired? I just don't get it. I don't even care about Juno -- I doubt I'll listen to it again outside of possible TR&AR binge sessions someday -- but I don't feel "offended" or "mad" or, really, anything other than a shrug about it. "Huh, that's neat they got to do that; it's not really my thing, but not everything is always going to be." Not "This fucking cunt what a sell-out corporate fuckbag arharrrraaaah his haircut's shitty and we all know he's dying it, the liar"

Volband
07-06-2016, 10:35 AM
The annoying part is that he doesn't do shit with NIN, yet he keeps throwing out vague promises when he can't even keep his literal promises either. Just say you are done with it Trent, instead of putting false hopes into that. The dude would sooner write an OST for an peach tree than to do something with the NIN project.

However, there is only one thing that would seriously infuriate me. If Trent dares to pass away before he writes an autobiography.... holy shit, I'm sure I'd be so mad, I'd write at least 2 comments here on ETS. And that is, my friends, a threat. I ain't no pussy afraid of doing it.

SchwarzerAbt
07-06-2016, 10:37 AM
And the absolute saddest thing? Imagine someone telling Trent Reznor back in the end of the 80s, while he was staring down all the synths and uitars and whatnot while being in the studio, that one day, one motherfucking day he will say "I could sit here and create the sickest sounds and melodies... but I'm just gonne go with some stripped down brainless beat, because how cool is that, right? Not actually doing anything." He would've cried himself.

I think if you told him 20 years ago he'd be working with David Fincher, David Lynch (again) and the NASA he'd be quite excited. He had score projects in the past, although they didn't work out like TSN.

Khrz
07-06-2016, 10:43 AM
If Trent dares to pass away before he writes an autobiography.... holy shit, I'm sure I'd be so mad

Oh, seeing the state of this thread, I expect a whole lot of butthurt either way.

Volband
07-06-2016, 10:54 AM
Oh, seeing the state of this thread, I expect a whole lot of butthurt either way.
I don't, actually. I highly doubt we'd be seeing actual new NIN material this year, or ever, who knows. Cargo in blood, TF and WT instrumentals... NIN is just promotion and/or cashgrab now. I don't think i'm capable anymore to feel let down. TDS mega-remastered version? PHM instrumentals (rare edition)? NIN DVD eventually released and pretend it shpuld not have happened fucking 2 years ago? Nah, these shit would not even phase me. And I'm not even blaming the guy, I'd probably do the same. Scoring interests him more, more money, no tour-fatigue and expenses, while giving bones to the old fans.

Also, is HM was the pinnacle NIN material Trent could make now, then I don't even want new songs. Give me my TF reissue and go on one last tour, don't beat the dead horse.

edit: also, at least we can see some passion here! I'm happy for everyone who contributes!

Khrz
07-06-2016, 11:11 AM
I was talking about the autobiography idea, which is something so far removed from my own interests that I actually never even thought about it until now.

Volband
07-06-2016, 12:13 PM
But wouldn't you read it like a million times? This whole freakin' epic journey from Trent's eyes with brutal honesty. It could be the basis of a movie about Trent; I'M being serious now, he is one of the very few legends who - even if by sheer luck - to not kill himself AND get clean AND remain just as relevant after that as before. Sure, the majority of the movie would be about the beginning of the Broken era till the end of The Fragile era.

The director? Bowie's son. BOOM.

Now, back to Juno.

WorzelG
07-06-2016, 12:18 PM
Yes, that's the one thing that I thought could have broken up the electronic monotony of HM, let Rubin rip on the drums here and there, give the record some peaks and troughs with energy. The stagnant electronic drums really killed the momentum in tracks for me. Tracks from HM seem to shine a bit more in the live setting with a band performing. It helped bring out the more organic side of the album and not feel so cold and sterile. The album just never feels to peak at all. Closest we got was Everything, which honestly didn't bother me like some folk here. Everything just made me happy to get something abrasive and energetic for once. But that's it. It just doesn't hit like other NIN records for me. And as much as I wasn't into the later releases, Year Zero, The Slip, Ghosts, etc. at least had some moments where it hit hard. Trent has a way of making a record flow and capture you, but I just didn't get that with HM. I think having Rubin play bits of drums here and there would have helped break things up a bit. Also get Pino in the studio! He knew how to liven up the basslines. And I gotta say, they sounded great with those female singers. Trent needs to find a way to bring that live sound and energy into the studio. That's how it felt pre-Year Zero, like a real collaboration of people and finding and creating new sounds organically and electronically. But lately, it's just become Trent and Atticus alone together fiddling with knobs. I wish he would bring in more people like he does live to help expand the NIN palette. We've seen and heard what just him and Atticus can do.

I'd be curious to hear what happened with the new producer they got in for a while to mix things up, even though Trent said it didn't work I wonder if some people here might prefer that

Khrz
07-06-2016, 12:19 PM
But wouldn't you read it like a million times?

Maybe. Maybe just once.

Yeah no.

Volband
07-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Maybe. Maybe just once.

Yeah no.
If you would not even be interested in it, I'd be curious why. We're talking about an honest book, of course, not where the shady details and rumours remain.

Dr Channard
07-06-2016, 12:24 PM
...We've heard it all before in better versions...

A complaint that we’ve heard before as well. This very complaint, some of the good folks of nin fandom have levied against practically every nin album following TDS. Even a masterpiece like The Fragile in the minds of many never made it out of the shadow of TDS.

There is nothing at all wrong with not liking these albums. But if that’s the case, then maybe it’s time that said folks consider the likely possibility that they really just don’t like nin, because this is what nin has been since the very beginning.

Khrz
07-06-2016, 12:39 PM
If you would not even be interested in it, I'd be curious why. We're talking about an honest book, of course, not where the shady details and rumours remain.

Well for one because Reznor is not the kind of flamboyant rock star capable of "writing" a compelling autobiographical account, I suspect. Nerdy history of the evolution of synths and plug-ins, sure. The underbelly of the avant-garde/industrial/experimental music of the 80/90s, I don't think so.

But most of all, because I'm here for the music. I like the guy, but I really don't care about his life, and even less about his own account on it.

implanted_microchip
07-06-2016, 01:13 PM
The annoying part is that he doesn't do shit with NIN, yet he keeps throwing out vague promises when he can't even keep his literal promises either. Just say you are done with it Trent, instead of putting false hopes into that. The dude would sooner write an OST for an peach tree than to do something with the NIN project.

However, there is only one thing that would seriously infuriate me. If Trent dares to pass away before he writes an autobiography.... holy shit, I'm sure I'd be so mad, I'd write at least 2 comments here on ETS. And that is, my friends, a threat. I ain't no pussy afraid of doing it.

You must've been the most insufferable person when Trent kept giving "vague promises" between TDS and TF, huh.

I swear to Christ so many people have short-term memories when it comes to things Trent Reznor has mentioned in passing vs. what's eventually released and it's insane. I wasn't even a fan back then and I feel like I've internalized it more than a lot of people have. This is the guy who in 1999 talked up wanting to do some other band with female vocals and that promise didn't deliver until a decade later.

Are you just bitchy he does scoring now or something? Because Quake must've put some real sand in your pants. And, God, Lost Highway must've been a real nightmare along with Natural Born Killers. I suppose every time he mentioned countlessly across his entire career an interest in film-composing you thought he was bluffing. Or, wait, I thought you were mad he can't "keep his promises"? He sure kept those.

Besides, the only "vague promises" he's supposedly "kept throwing out" was a whole one (!) tweet. It's the start of July. We have half of a calendar year left until he "can't even keep his literal promises" on new NIN in 2016. You're sounding like a dramatic troll more than anything at this point and it's just so not conductive to discussion whatsoever, and I'm not even bringing up you suggesting that liking ambient music somehow makes you lesser-brained or that people only like Closer to gain "fandom cred" (which, holy mother of Closer to God, if you think people are basing their likes and dislikes off of what people on a forum will think then that says more about you than anybody else).

Also as far as I'm concerned Trent's already written a great autobiography and it's called the discography of Nine Inch Nails and it tells his story as well as I think he ever could with his skillset. I really don't need another "seedy account of what it was REALLY like" by somebody who isn't a prose-based writer or author with "assistance" (see: ghostwriting) by an actual music journalist or editor dusting up my bookcase.

Volband
07-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Geee, kleiner, aren't you the savior here, pulling bits and pieces from things I said and mold it in a preachy way! You just wrote the biggest Like-hunter post that could have been done; just check back to my first part of "Juno review" which was done by the viewpoint of the insufferable "Trent Is A GOD" perspective.

But to answer to your good questions, no, I would've had no problems with NBK and TLH, because he actually made Nine Inch Nails songs for them too, and pretty good ones as well.

No, you are not stupud for liking ambient music, you are stupid - *warning: my opinion* - if you think HM is not just a copy of a copy of a copy of a... Someone said people were comparing everything to TDS. Duuuuuuuuude, not the point. I don't care if TDS is da bomb or not, with HM Trent put a stop to half the things which made NIN what it was. The songs still had the boogie, they were still catchy, it's a good album for God's sake, but it's safe, non-innovative, not exciting, not daring, it's just what it is: the first factory produced NIN material.

Also, what do you want me to say? Sorry for having my hopes up, the the dude, three years after he promised he will release a DVD which partially can be watched on youtube for 3 years now, now hints on even more NIN, but nothing ever happens?! Like, I'm all for riding Mr. Reznor's dick, but aren'T you the guy, if by December 31st nothing new NIN would come out (some bullshit 5th edition of an album or EP doesn't count, or stuff like cargo on blood, broah), would say "geeee, big deal!!! he does whatever he wants!!! leave trent alone!!!"

If I'm a troll, then you are like my pretentious counterpart. I'm obviously half-serious about the stuff I'm throwing at Trent, I respect him a lot, but come on, you act like a fan, any fan should feel bad about themselves if they feel they'd deserve some NEW material, or at least matrial that was PROMISED, and not be the douche who starts off "weeeell, technically he did not promise it!" or some shit.

edit: as for Closer, I think it's a masterpiece, because on the surface, it's just a song about lust, basic instincts, but man, if you look deep, you see desperation and agony. what a goddamned well-orchestrated piece of art that track is. Have you guys heard it? Here, listen to it at least once, amazing! :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt1Pwfnh5pc

edit 2: for real though, if you do not get what my problem was with Closer (not the song), then read what other people said about it. some of them got what I meant - which is not to criticize your intelligence, I don't blame anyone who gets lost in my messy style.

fillow
07-06-2016, 02:00 PM
It's like TR made a video for his new ambient track, slammed it on Vevo channel as HERE'S OUR BRAND NEW SINGLE!! Yeah, no. What's with all the drama then?
Does Volband honestly, honestly think this track is distracting Trent from making new record?
For all we know, the last several albums were released in "I was being less than honest, here's a new album" way. You should know better by now not to expect any updates until the record is 100% done and ready to go. There's whole 6 months left in the year, jeez.

neorev
07-06-2016, 03:07 PM
I'd be curious to hear what happened with the new producer they got in for a while to mix things up, even though Trent said it didn't work I wonder if some people here might prefer that

I never knew about this. Does anyone have any more info about this? I'm guessing Trent didn't say his name. Sounds interesting.

WorzelG
07-06-2016, 03:27 PM
I never knew about this. Does anyone have any more info about this? I'm guessing Trent didn't say his name. Sounds interesting.
It's mentioned here but he goes into detail in the In Conversation With extra on the itunes HM
http://www.stereogum.com/1715900/trent-reznor-discusses-failed-hesitation-marks-sessions-with-arcade-fire-producer-skepticism-about-rock-hall-nomination-u2s-devaluing-music/news/

implanted_microchip
07-06-2016, 05:52 PM
Volband never in my life have I posted on here with some formula to get likes and you're taking the internet too seriously if you do.

I've mildly complained before about the Tension blu ray and still find that whole situation to be bullshit. If nothing new billed as NIN came out by the end of the year I'd be mildly disappointed by it. I'm highly lukewarm towards How to Destroy Angels and rarely listen to the film scores outside of the same handful of songs. But I don't run around acting like an asshole about it or getting all worked up because there are plenty of other great artists I love releasing music I'm into and a wealth of stuff I've still yet to hear and then every other facet of my life keeping me busy and satisfied. My happiness and fulfillment isn't dependent on Trent Reznor doing what I want him to 24/7.

I just don't see the constructive point in huffing and puffing in an angsty manner over whether or not some artist is making what I wish they'd make and behaving as if I'm somehow more enlightened by not liking things.

cashpiles (closed)
07-06-2016, 06:03 PM
Noticing how The Slip devolves into borefest after Head Down..... should have just made a cool EP out of the first songs...but also keep Demon Seed minus the shit vocals before T T T T tolerate you.

to clarify: I also like the T T T T T Tolerate you part. It's the whispered vocals up to that point that I don't like.

sweeterthan
07-06-2016, 06:43 PM
Nooooo I love the tttttt tolerate you part. It stays.

Ryan
07-06-2016, 06:59 PM
Nooooo I love the tttttt tolerate you part. It stays.

I enjoy it too.

TheRealNs1
07-06-2016, 07:02 PM
If everyone heard the live band play Everything then I bet everyone would warm up to it. I personally enjoy the song. It's a a guitar song that doesn't have any guitar on it and that's what bothers people.

it bothers people because it's a terrible song. has it ever gotten radio airplay since week 1? probably not, cuz nobody is going to request that shit.

xolotl
07-06-2016, 08:02 PM
Noticing how The Slip devolves into borefest after Head Down.....

I'll give you Corona Radiata, though I personally love that track too, but LitS and The Four of Us Are Dying are bloody amazing. (And I love how Corona Radiata ties the two together, though I can see how that one might bore someone.) The back half of The Slip is one of the main reasons I love that album so much.

has it ever gotten radio airplay since week 1? probably not, cuz nobody is going to request that shit.

I certainly hope we're not going to start basing our opinion of the quality of NIN tracks (or, you know, music in general) by what gets played on the radio.

Dr Channard
07-06-2016, 10:07 PM
Hey nineinchnerd, where you been? How about an update on your 2,000 person band performing 'Starfuckers' project to persuade Trent to play a concert in Alabama. It’s been almost a year (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/139-Random-NIN-Thoughts?p=265216#post265216), any progress on that?

Khrz
07-07-2016, 04:15 AM
I certainly hope we're not going to start basing our opinion of the quality of NIN tracks (or, you know, music in general) by what gets played on the radio.

That kind of gauge has only been irrelevant for what, 40 years now ?

nooneimportant
07-07-2016, 08:20 AM
Holy shit the NIN.com forums and IRC chat still work.

Volband
07-07-2016, 12:47 PM
@Volband (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3656) never in my life have I posted on here with some formula to get likes and you're taking the internet too seriously if you do.

I've mildly complained before about the Tension blu ray and still find that whole situation to be bullshit. If nothing new billed as NIN came out by the end of the year I'd be mildly disappointed by it. I'm highly lukewarm towards How to Destroy Angels and rarely listen to the film scores outside of the same handful of songs. But I don't run around acting like an asshole about it or getting all worked up because there are plenty of other great artists I love releasing music I'm into and a wealth of stuff I've still yet to hear and then every other facet of my life keeping me busy and satisfied. My happiness and fulfillment isn't dependent on Trent Reznor doing what I want him to 24/7.

I just don't see the constructive point in huffing and puffing in an angsty manner over whether or not some artist is making what I wish they'd make and behaving as if I'm somehow more enlightened by not liking things.
Brother, you preach good, just please, tone back with the "I graduated with straight As and even my pastor loves me" vibe. I believe you if you say it's not conscious, but you sound like the biggest cliché. Spice it up a little bit, like we do with fresh memes. If I have to read the word "mildly" once more, I'm gonna walk through hot charcoal barefooted and most likely suffer third degree burns because of it.

I'm going to be honest with you dawg, if by the end of the year, and I'm being extremely serious here, if Trent dares to not release anything NEW nin material by the end of this year, then I swear, and I don't care if I offend some people, I absolutely swear - even if it goes against the board rules - that I won't care. Months passes by without me even expecting new NIN, I'm accustomed to the fact that if anything happens, it's going to happen in some random ass day and I'll get to know about it on my facebook feed. I just want him to tour, because now I have money, but that's all. Hell, I have more faith that the next HTDA material will be closer to the original EP and be actually listenable, than Trent releasing cool new NIN stuff.

As for the DVD, it's practically a meme now, alongside of Tapeworm (RIP), Ghosts FIlm Festival, Year Zero 2 (stfu guys, you know it's not The Slip), Everything music video, Greatest Hits album (because he keeps his words guys, AYYYYYYYYYYYY LMAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOO) and the cancelled Budapest show which they will compensate for. What else could we talk about anyway? You want to make this board and/or thread super duper serious? Just re-read the meathead perspectives during the hiatus between TF and WT. Poor meathead had to write some of the weirdest shit, because there was literally nothing happening.

One thing though, Trent deserves every shit for the fuckaroo with the DVD, and the fact that he did that a million times now already does not make it any more forgivable. His public relations with the NIN fanbase has always been disastrous. The one time the guy tried to be hip and used FB and Twitter het literally got into arguments with people. He's weird like that, but we still love him.

Khrz
07-07-2016, 12:57 PM
The one time the guy tried to be hip and used FB and Twitter het literally got into arguments with people.

Well to be fair, his fans are a bunch of whiny entitled dicks.

reznovka
07-07-2016, 01:07 PM
You know that he's probably bipolar. Bipolar people tend to have great plans when they're in a manic episode and fall into deep holes afterwards. My gf is battleing with the same issues and she does the exact same things. Big plans but no strength to realise 'em. Bipolar people are perfectionists and you can imagine how hard it is to realise something. We are lucky that we got the records he released so far and the tours he did. I'd rather wait 5 more years for another EP than take a rushed record. I'd be happy if he'd be touring in Europe this year (even though I'm broke right now) but I'm willing to wait. He's older now but still battleing with his inner demon. Give him time.

Volband
07-07-2016, 01:11 PM
Well to be fair, his fans are a bunch of whiny entitled dicks.
Everyone's are with a history of at least 10 years. "Why don't you sound like on oyur first record? Why don't you come to my country? Why did you (not) collab with XY? Why did you make a radio-friendly song? I think your music now sucks! " etc. An adult person should be able to handle it after being in the biz for so long. The way he handled it showed some serious insecurity; a men of his caliber should laugh his ass off reading those punk's comments.

Abrupting songs live for a very few people's idiocity can be argued, because there are pros and cons to what Trent used to do, but his social media stunts (including the ETS one, with fake accounts and whatnot) were not cool at all. Funny and sad at the same time, but I'm happy he pulled the plug on that, realizing it's just not for him.

You know that he's probably bipolar. Bipolar people tend to have great plans when they're in a manic episode and fall into deep holes afterwards. My gf is battleing with the same issues and she does the exact same things. Big plans but no strength to realise 'em. Bipolar people are perfectionists and you can imagine how hard it is to realise something. We are lucky that we got the records he released so far and the tours he did. I'd rather wait 5 more years for another EP than take a rushed record. I'd be happy if he'd be touring in Europe this year (even though I'm broke right now) but I'm willing to wait. He's older now but still battleing with his inner demon. Give him time.
Yes, definitely. There are a bunch of songs which show mental issues. AATCHB (song) might be one of the most obvious ones; that song is pure depression.

reznovka
07-07-2016, 01:20 PM
Everyone's are with a history of at least 10 years. "Why don't you sound like on oyur first record? Why don't you come to my country? Why did you (not) collab with XY? Why did you make a radio-friendly song? I think your music now sucks! " etc. An adult person should be able to handle it after being in the biz for so long. The way he handled it showed some serious insecurity; a men of his caliber should laugh his ass off reading those punk's comments.

Abrupting songs live for a very few people's idiocity can be argued, because there are pros and cons to what Trent used to do, but his social media stunts (including the ETS one, with fake accounts and whatnot) were not cool at all. Funny and sad at the same time, but I'm happy he pulled the plug on that, realizing it's just not for him.

Yes, definitely. There are a bunch of songs which show mental issues. AATCHB (song) might be one of the most obvious ones; that song is pure depression.

A normal adult could handle the haters but as an perfectionists you're crushed by that. The drugs may have helped him with by getting numb sometimes but becoming insane in the next moment. It's no general excuse but like I said, my gf has the same problem and people like Trent aren't always in control of their emotions/deeds.

cashpiles (closed)
07-07-2016, 07:18 PM
I have this theory about Nine Inch Nails called the "NIN Mirror Theory". You can line up all the major NIN releases (with lyrics) in 2 columns. Like this:

4. The Fragile_______________5. With Teeth
3. The Downward Spiral_______6. Year Zero
2. Broken (EP)_______________7. The Slip (EP)
1. Pretty Hate Machine (PHM)___8. Hesitation Marks (HM)

As you can see, some interesting elements begin to reveal themselves. Not only is it a mirror, but it is also a ring. PHM is the beginning of the cycle and HM is the end. The Fragile is the conclusion of the descent into darkness and ends in uncertainty... all the heavy duty pains have been experienced now. With Teeth marks the beginning of the rise... it is the coping. The Fragile is weakness while With Teeth is newfound strength. The Fragile and With Teeth are both the most psychedelic sounding of all NIN albums. Hesitation Marks represents completion and has a special link to Pretty Hate Machine.

You will also notice the similarity of the acronym PHM and HM. Several reviews noted how HM in some ways was a return to the sounds of PHM. Then the strange fact of 2 and 7 being EPs. Broken and The Slip are both rough-sounding and punk. For The Downward Spiral, a spiral is circular in nature and singular. Same with the zero of Year Zero. The Downward Spiral is a documentation of the self-annihilation of an individual. Year Zero documents the FUTURE destruction of civilization. TDS is the most mechanical/industrial sounding album. YZ is the most digital/computer sounding album.

A few months ago I learned about the ring theory in interpreting the first 6 Star Wars films... I guess after all these months my brain synthesized this theory as it applies to NIN.

ONE LAST POINT: 1ST SONG ON PHM: HEAD LIKE A HOLE "BLACK AS YOUR SOUL".....LAST SONG ON HM: BLACK NOISE.....presumably linking the content of Black Noise to what a Head like a hole which is black as your soul would sound like.... and therefore linking back to the beginning of NIN.. and therefore it indicates that a future NIN album would be a return to the source or the beginning of a second journey along the ring.

Krazy
07-07-2016, 07:41 PM
Duuuuuuuude... "The Drugs" thread is in a seperate sub-forum. Holy mother of Jesus the lack of NIN material mixed in with TR's tweet last December is making some go cray cray.

sweeterthan
07-07-2016, 07:44 PM
I think this is pretty normal for this board. These exact conversations have happened all before. It's all connected, man. The beginning is the end.

Your Name Here
07-07-2016, 08:28 PM

Volband
07-08-2016, 01:13 AM
Life is a flat circle...

Ryan
07-08-2016, 01:32 AM
NIN world is currently the equivalent of yelling into a black hole, saying "is anybody there?" and it echoing back, in the style of the voice you hear in the Fist Fuck samples.

Let's change the board name from Echoing The Sound to Echo Chamber until there's news. Or... Echoplex? That sounds like a good ETS competitor name.

Mutilated
07-08-2016, 03:44 AM
NIN world is currently the equivalent of yelling into a black hole, saying "is anybody there?" and it echoing back, in the style of the voice you hear in the Fist Fuck samples.

Let's change the board name from Echoing The Sound to Echo Chamber until there's news.

Yeah, it demoralisingly quiet.

Ryan
07-08-2016, 04:40 AM
Yeah, it demoralisingly quiet.

At least there's Juno and the instrumental Everything...

Mutilated
07-08-2016, 04:45 AM
At least there's Juno and the instrumental Everything...

I try to console myself that saying that TR did not intend to keep us waiting in silence for this length of time and that something has happened in the background that we are unaware of....because if this silence was intentional after that December tweet, well that's just REALLY mean!

Ryan
07-08-2016, 05:02 AM
I try to console myself that saying that TR did not intend to keep us waiting in silence for this length of time and that something has happened in the background that we are unaware of....because if this silence was intentional after that December tweet, well that's just REALLY mean!

The fact that we are getting excited about Charlie Clouser interviews in NIN Spotting is quite telling.

Khrz
07-08-2016, 05:37 AM
What I find kind of sad is that Clouser is now in Richard Patrick's situation... "Soooooo you're working on stuff now aaaand.... Nine Inch Nails,right? Right? Tell us about that."
At least Vrenna is subject to "Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson, that was awesome."

Mutilated
07-08-2016, 05:50 AM
What I find kind of sad is that Clouser is now in Richard Patrick's situation... "Soooooo you're working on stuff now aaaand.... Nine Inch Nails,right? Right? Tell us about that."
At least Vrenna is subject to "Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson, that was awesome."

Well if the journo is up to speed on Vrenna, its NIN, Manson and the Psyclon Nine controversy.

Khrz
07-08-2016, 06:42 AM
When it comes to former bands overshadowing current works, I'm not quite sure Psyclon Nine can cut it, honestly...

Mutilated
07-08-2016, 09:43 AM
When it comes to former bands overshadowing current works, I'm not quite sure Psyclon Nine can cut it, honestly...

You're right. No question of that. It is alleged that Chris may not have been appropriately compensated for his work with that band, and this in conjunction with the Kickstarter campaign fiasco, raises questions.

fillow
07-08-2016, 09:46 AM
The question is where the hell is Daniel Patrick "Danny" Lohner (born December 13, 1970), frequently known as Renholdėr.

sick among the pure
07-08-2016, 10:42 AM
The question is where the hell is Daniel Patrick "Danny" Lohner (born December 13, 1970), frequently known as Renholdėr.

He's busy laying face-down in public with his pants pulled down.

SM Rollinger
07-08-2016, 12:05 PM
He's busy laying face-down in public with his pants pulled down.

Link?

10 chr

sick among the pure
07-08-2016, 06:01 PM
Link?

10 chr

https://www.instagram.com/dannylohner

He probably posts them other places, too.

gorast
07-08-2016, 09:36 PM
That one with Tyler the Creator is great. His eyes say "I don't know what's going on but here I am."

Ryan
07-09-2016, 09:11 PM
I had a dream last night that something was announced on NIN.com about an October release, and I was typing a post saying how we get new NIN and finding out who Negan killed on The Walking Dead around about the same time. And naturally how thrilled I was.

somewhat_
07-09-2016, 09:56 PM
I had a dream last night that something was announced on NIN.com about an October release, and I was typing a post saying how we get new NIN and finding out who Negan killed on The Walking Dead around about the same time. And naturally how thrilled I was.

But then again, that might have been a dream

wizfan
07-09-2016, 09:59 PM
I like to imagine what was going through in Trent's head when he commissioned Eugene to remix Everything: "All right, here's the vocal track. I want you to FUCK IT UP. Like, completely. FUCK EVERYTHING."

nooneimportant
07-09-2016, 10:56 PM
I like to imagine what was going through in Trent's head when he commissioned Eugene to remix Everything: "All right, here's the vocal track. I want you to FUCK IT UP. Like, completely. FUCK EVERYTHING."

It's like that one meme. (Forgive me, please.)

"What kinda cut you want?"

"Just fuck me up."

Ryan
07-10-2016, 05:34 AM
It's like that one meme. (Forgive me, please.)

"What kinda cut you want?"

"Just fuck me up."

Oh man that reminds me of this scene so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLiAS9bP9Y0

Ryan
07-10-2016, 05:42 AM

The bigger question is, given how talented he is, why did he leave NIN? And not become a permanent member of A Perfect Circle?

I mean just listen to his fucking remix of The Outsider by APC and The Undertaker by Puscifer. And Bowie's Bring Me The Disco King.

And his remixes of Underneath The Stars and Apart by The Cure.

Danny Lohner is just like this super talented fuck who just gets forgotten or cast aside for Christ knows what reason. He should have and should be in the picture so much more. It's The Great NIN-Related Mystery in my opinion. Maybe he's just an angel who only appears now and then to bless us with awesome shit.

Volband
07-10-2016, 07:35 AM
Danny also did a sick contribution to a LoL (League of Legends) song a few years back. I'd totally listen a whole record of those.

The other day I was watching random ass Metallica videos and I saw Danny auditioned for them as a bassist. It was so strange! Danny was long gone when I got into NIN, but I always imagined him as this multi-talented, jack of all trades creative musician, and not someone who would seriously stick to playing bass on such a serious level as with a band like Metallica. Then again, I have no idea how good of a bassists he was/is. Btw Jeordie auditioned for that role too!

Halo Infinity
07-10-2016, 08:04 AM
And with all the pleading, needing, bleeding, breeding, feeding, exceeding, trying, lying, defying, crying and dying... :p

Let's change the board name from Echoing The Sound to Echo Chamber until there's news. Or... Echoplex? That sounds like a good ETS competitor name.
I've actually thought about Echoplex as a name for a Nine Inch Nails forum ever since The Slip came out, as far as a name that still had the word echo in it. Echoplex also looks very nice on the eyes, sounds nice on the ears, and it's a lot shorter to type for the sake of ease and convenience as well. (This isn't to say that ETS is hard to type by any means either, especially since it's become like a reflex to me for quite some time.)

SM Rollinger
07-10-2016, 08:18 AM
https://www.instagram.com/dannylohner

He probably posts them other places, too.
Haha, great. He has the "its still real to me dammnit" guy up on there, Never thought of him as a Pro Wrestling fan though, awesome.

Dr Channard
07-10-2016, 12:06 PM
This performance, it‘s just fucking great. Everything this song should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBpEz4D_0sg

Lew
07-10-2016, 01:42 PM
hey, not being troll-y or provoking...seriously asking:
do you feel trent owes us, period?
i know he said new nin this year, but does that truly make him obligated?
just curious...

implanted_microchip
07-10-2016, 01:51 PM
I wouldn't use the term "owed" because I've paid nothing for anything not yet delivered, but I do think it's a matter of keeping your word and a sign of good faith that when you say "I'll be putting this thing out in this time frame" that you do it, and, if not, be as transparent as possible as to why not.

In general I think NIN fans would be far less bitchy about unreleased things if Trent just took the six minutes to write an iPhone note on why ______ isn't out yet and post it on any variety of websites. It's really not hard to do that. It's the hard promises followed by utter silence that breed a lot of frustration.

cashpiles (closed)
07-10-2016, 01:59 PM
just curious...

If a piece of art isn't finished to someone's satisfaction by some point they said they would release it, it's perfectly understandable to keep working on it until it's "perfect".

Also, he's given us The Slip and the first part of Ghosts for free... so I think his owing account is out of the red.

Volband
07-10-2016, 02:12 PM
What, you release an album like The Slip for free and that means he can later "cash in" on that and just disappear for years without releasing anything of great relevance under the moniker of NIN? Not even a Q&A or status update to at least TELL US where his mind is and where he sees NIN in the coming years. As I said, Trent is terrible in the PR department, so basically we are either swimming in new goodies or we can go fuck ourselves, but not much in-between.

Who knows, maybe months from now he comes out with the Tension DVD, a free new record, The Fragile Reissue and a 1,5 years long tour then we won't hear about NIN for a good 5 years, aside from random new merchandises.

just curious...
Trent should own himself with respecting NIN and its legacy. Yes, he could literally stop producing anything NIN related stuff and he'd have enough money and work opportunities to even feed his great grandkids, but - in my eyes - it's not cool that he doesn't seem to respect the fact that he used to be Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails, and not Trent Reznor, who by the way also runs NIN.

Absolute radio silence, then boom, out of nowhere Cargo in(/of?) Blood, buy it, thanks bye. Oooh, now you can use your Facebook page? Give me a break. People just keep justyfying it with some bullshit explanations like "ooooh if you've been around during The Fragile..." or "oooh, he's like that!" Just no.

WorzelG
07-10-2016, 02:42 PM
^^^Cargo in the Blood was worth every penny, it's beautiful.

But yes about the PR aspect. Remember when Trent was giving advice to new artists in this day and age, either on that Digg interview or a blog post, "keep putting new content on your website. Give people a reason to keep coming back"! Come on take your own advice Trent.

EDIT : I found the blog post and to be fair it was specific to new bands but the subtext of that is, if you're established you can take fans for granted but I honestly don't think that is true anymore
http://forum.nin.com/bb/read.php?30,767183,767183#msg-767183

The thing is, I have been a fan since 1992 so I experienced the 2 droughts of NIN in the mid to late 90s and early 2000s. To be honest it didn't bother me unduly then because I wasn't online. But now social media has happened expectations have just changed I can't deny it

implanted_microchip
07-10-2016, 04:36 PM
I truly do not see why somebody -- Rob, Trent, Leo Herrera -- can't just say "Hey, The Fragile Deluxe Edition is snagged up because of legal trouble and we'll say something the minute we can move forward with it" if that's the issue. Billy Corgan did that with the Machina reissue -- literally a few months after talking about it, instead of years, and nobody got upset at him since they understood the situation. If that's not the issue, then they could still do the same with whatever it is. It's fucking annoying.

I don't think the residential douchebags in the NIN fanbase would be doing the old song and dance about the Tension blu ray if they just had come out and said "We can't release it because _____." A lot of people asssume it may have to do with song rights issues -- which I could totally see -- just fuckin' tweet that.

It's weird being a big Smashing Pumpkins fan since there is so much transparency, for better or for worse, while also being so into NIN, where we pretty much never know anything until something is actually put out. I get Trent's got a weird set of standards, but, good Christ, can the Everything or the Every Day ... videos truly be any shittier than Deep? Is it so much to ask to just get an announcement about when something is scrapped? Etc. It's a real bitch at times and so many trolls make digital careers out of harping on this shit.

Hyperpower
07-10-2016, 04:49 PM
I truly do not see why somebody -- Rob, Trent, Leo Herrera -- can't just say "Hey, The Fragile Deluxe Edition is snagged up because of legal trouble and we'll say something the minute we can move forward with it" if that's the issue. Billy Corgan did that with the Machina reissue -- literally a few months after talking about it, instead of years, and nobody got upset at him since they understood the situation. If that's not the issue, then they could still do the same with whatever it is. It's fucking annoying.

I don't think the residential douchebags in the NIN fanbase would be doing the old song and dance about the Tension blu ray if they just had come out and said "We can't release it because _____." A lot of people asssume it may have to do with song rights issues -- which I could totally see -- just fuckin' tweet that.

It's weird being a big Smashing Pumpkins fan since there is so much transparency, for better or for worse, while also being so into NIN, where we pretty much never know anything until something is actually put out. I get Trent's got a weird set of standards, but, good Christ, can the Everything or the Every Day ... videos truly be any shittier than Deep? Is it so much to ask to just get an announcement about when something is scrapped? Etc. It's a real bitch at times and so many trolls make digital careers out of harping on this shit.

and what makes things worse? well.. theres the one troll and then theres the few that give reasons as to why certain projects haven't been released and the conversation keeps going in circles.
you are right about commenting on projects that still haven't been released.

he doesn't even have to involve other websites either, making comments on nin.com would be good enough but hey... apparently his fans aren't important enough for him? i dunno...

sheepdean
07-10-2016, 05:41 PM
Sometimes the legal trouble doesn't let you talk about the legal trouble - video game No Man's Sky was caught in years-long legal battles with uk tv provider Sky over name usage and couldn't tell anyone that was a reason for game delays until after the fact. If someone is holding it all up, it might be out of their hands, and leaking it as a fuck you would be a great way to get sued to kingdom come

implanted_microchip
07-10-2016, 05:49 PM
Sometimes the legal trouble doesn't let you talk about the legal trouble - video game No Man's Sky was caught in years-long legal battles with uk tv provider Sky over name usage and couldn't tell anyone that was a reason for game delays until after the fact. If someone is holding it all up, it might be out of their hands, and leaking it as a fuck you would be a great way to get sued to kingdom come

Like how leaking the Broken Movie or Closure DVD or uploading torrent collections of old material or telling fans to steal Year Zero would all be good ways to get sued?

I don't know, that still doesn't mean they can't just come out and say "That project might be a while." Even a vague update would be better than dead silence. Offering pre-order updates via email and then video teasers on Instagram and then dead silence is rather ridiculous IMHO.

WorzelG
07-10-2016, 05:53 PM
good Christ, can the Everything or the Every Day ... videos truly be any shittier than Deep?
ha ha, so very true. Weird double standards of video quality, not even mentioning the Came Back Haunted video. I don't understand why he hasn't got David Fincher to make some videos though

seasonsinthesky
07-10-2016, 06:03 PM
Y'all need to learn when to let go.

implanted_microchip
07-10-2016, 06:07 PM
ha ha, so very true. Weird double standards of video quality, not even mentioning the Came Back Haunted video. I don't understand why he hasn't got David Fincher to make some videos though

People reacted so poorly to the Only video (even though I really like it). Though for me Dragon Tattoo is a three hour-long music video by David Fincher for Trent Reznor.

I don't have an issue with the CBH video -- I just dislike that NIN albums now get one video at best and it's probably going to underwhelm. Year Zero should've had tons of videos, even a longform film-type deal like The Wall or even shorter like Kanye's Runaway in terms of length. How to Destroy Angels has had more creative videos than NIN has in a while now.

Really the general condemnation of Everything just because people on twitter are cunts is so irritating to me. That done with the 2014 NA setup leading into CBH would've kicked ass.
seasonsinthesky we've gotta let go, but do we gotta get straight? I'm not sure those conversion centers in the South work very well.

sheepdean
07-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Like how leaking the Broken Movie or Closure DVD or uploading torrent collections of old material or telling fans to steal Year Zero would all be good ways to get sued?

I don't know, that still doesn't mean they can't just come out and say "That project might be a while." Even a vague update would be better than dead silence. Offering pre-order updates via email and then video teasers on Instagram and then dead silence is rather ridiculous IMHO.
Those were development hell, not legal issues. An update of "delayed indef" might be nice, but without knowing the background we gotta assume it just ain't coming until we know it's coming.
Like liteally half the things Trent ever talks about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDsqpeiTqg8

Krazy
07-10-2016, 07:16 PM
Didn't know Only vid was hated here, thought it was pretty fucking cool actually.

CBH on the other hand.... YEEESSH! There were some parts in there that are flat out embarrassing.

neorev
07-10-2016, 08:49 PM
I quite like the "Only" vid, simple and direct.
The "Came Back Haunted" video was probably THE most disappointing collaboration between two great talents ever... such a terrible video.

Ryan
07-10-2016, 11:40 PM

I agree.

GIVE US A ONE SENTENCE FUCKING UPDATE ON THE FRAGILE REISSUE, TRENT!

Volband
07-11-2016, 03:18 AM
I like how it's okay to sit on a high horse when criticising music videos like Deep. The only good NIN music video is TPF, all of the rest is either average at best OR impossible to rate, because it's either a concert footage or from the Broken movie. I like WITT, but it could have been so much more. But sure, Deep was too commercial of a track, so I guess super close up artsy shots of Trent's eyebrows >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Deep MV.

whoops, forgot about Closer, that's a really nice vid too, obviously, but TPF is my #1

Duuuude, you need to live on another planet to think it would hold Trent Reznor back. He never gave a fuck about stuff like this and at this day and age it's even easier to anonymously leak stuff. Create a reddit account ---> open a thread about how "close sources to NIN" says corporate X and Y are to blame for the delay --> delete after 10 minutes ---> OH SHIT, SOMEONE PRINT SCREENED IT, DAMNIT!! ---> profit. His hate for corporate tools always made him either find a way or just literally say to steal his stuff.

I quite like the "Only" vid, simple and direct.
The "Came Back Haunted" video was probably THE most disappointing collaboration between two great talents ever... such a terrible video.
It's funny, because if some noname guy would've made it, he would've been called a pretentious, artsy wannabe, but I'm sure that this way many people think they are special because unlike us, they are fucking getting that music video. Sadly, all I get is a seizure.

Krazy
07-11-2016, 09:40 AM
TPF? Was that meant as The Perfect Drug? Not sure what's so good about that vid, plus it's got Trent pedo-stache which is a bit of a scary sight.

If there was a vote here I'm guessing Closer would rank pretty high, if not at the top.

sweeterthan
07-11-2016, 09:45 AM
The perfect drug video is perfect. Even the 'stache.

Khrz
07-11-2016, 09:59 AM
The stache is the cornerstone of that video, leave the stache alone.

ultimatebdp
07-11-2016, 10:09 AM
I check this board and the twitter accounts almost every day for NIN/TR news and I am hungry for new material just like everyone else. That being said, the dude has 3 kids under the age of 6 AND an office job AND does soundtracks AND manages all aspects of NIN/HTDA. Hell, I have a one year old and an office job and barely have time to do anything! We all know that he tends to bite off more than he can chew (and has admitted that in numerous interviews.)

Bottom line: I think the Apple gig is taking waaayyy more time and effort than he had planned, but he committed to help fix it and will see it through.

In today's world with having to know everything the second you want an answer, I'm kind of enjoying this silence and anticipation. It will make the day the announcement that much more exciting, IMO. I think whatever NIN he has planned will come out in the fall/4th qtr and we should have a morsel in the next month or two. Or I could be wrong and I'll just blame Apple for delaying everything for a product I'll never use.

Volband
07-11-2016, 10:46 AM
TPF? Was that meant as The Perfect Drug? Not sure what's so good about that vid, plus it's got Trent pedo-stache which is a bit of a scary sight.

If there was a vote here I'm guessing Closer would rank pretty high, if not at the top.
To me, it's a music video where more did not end up being less. Sure, it's trippy, wird and filled with "woah, dude, that's some deep shit!" moments, but the same could be said about Closer. What would probably tip the scales for Closer (if we ignore that it's a more well-received song than TPF) is probably how elegant it is. TPF is a rush, like a, geez, a drug I suppose, while Closer is like a good wine.

And come oon, Trent rocked that look! It's so funny that look is basically molded with TPF. He did not ever perform looking like that, did he?

implanted_microchip
07-11-2016, 10:53 AM
Volband is your keyboard missing the D because I'm sure Ryan would love to deliver it to you

katara
07-11-2016, 10:56 AM
the Apple... office job

I can't wait for his rock-star meltdown and inevitable follow-up album about how much he hates corporations. Or... maybe he's found happiness in slavery?

"the slave thinks he is released from bondage only to find a stronger set of chains"

Ryan
07-11-2016, 10:57 AM
@Volband (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3656) is your keyboard missing the D because I'm sure @Ryan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=67) would love to deliver it to you

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iHtzugP-lwA/VRczDdo8wQI/AAAAAAAACE4/CiOzYhKv89Y/s1600/ouch.gif

implanted_microchip
07-11-2016, 11:33 AM
I really don't get how it makes sense for NIN fans to always be acting like the music industry of 1992 is somehow the same as 2016. Just because Trent Reznor had miserable times with TVT in 1992 does not mean that somehow Apple with a streaming service is just as horrible 24 years later. Digital content, streaming, downloads, viability of independent releases, vinyl resurgence, a decaying market for CDs, less focus on monetizing sales and more on promoting merchandise and tours -- it's so wildly different in general that it just sounds a lot like people "sounding" clever and smart -- "hey, hey, he's working for a totally different corporation after having bad times with totally different corporations, what a sell-out, eh?" than actually "being" clever and smart.

witte
07-11-2016, 01:05 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iHtzugP-lwA/VRczDdo8wQI/AAAAAAAACE4/CiOzYhKv89Y/s1600/ouch.gif

that was great match

billpulsipher
07-11-2016, 03:45 PM
I really don't get how it makes sense for NIN fans to always be acting like the music industry of 1992 is somehow the same as 2016. Just because Trent Reznor had miserable times with TVT in 1992 does not mean that somehow Apple with a streaming service is just as horrible 24 years later. Digital content, streaming, downloads, viability of independent releases, vinyl resurgence, a decaying market for CDs, less focus on monetizing sales and more on promoting merchandise and tours -- it's so wildly different in general that it just sounds a lot like people "sounding" clever and smart -- "hey, hey, he's working for a totally different corporation after having bad times with totally different corporations, what a sell-out, eh?" than actually "being" clever and smart.

How about he just continue to make music? Why does he give two fucks about streaming services? I don't see Mike Patton or Robert Smith or Dave Gahan or Eddie Vedder or Dave Grohl or any other musician getting involved in this nonsense. Who gives a shit if some teenybopper girl uses spotify or apple to stream the new Drake album? Most hardcore motherfuckers still buy their music in physical formats (cds/vinyl). Shit even Trent said he mostly buys vinyl these days....I never understood why he chose to take on this MASSIVE project which in the longrun is just taking him away from making music. It can't possibly be satisfying to him on a creative level having to deal with this corporate shit. a big fucking waste of time

WorzelG
07-11-2016, 04:14 PM
^^^sometimes I wonder if there's some aspect to this I don't get or am not privy to. He's not been able to come up with a working NIN website that's lasted that long, or a NIN store that hasn't had some fuckups for quite a limited amount of produce. So why does Trent, or more importantly Apple think he's the guy to solve their insanely complicated UI ?????? Especially when it has to be combined with iTunes. I'll eat my words if the new version of apple music turns out to be great but i'm not holding my breath

Khrz
07-11-2016, 04:16 PM
I think he's more here for the UX rather than the UI. Sure they both overlap a bit, but there's a difference, and when it comes to Reznor the nuance would make sense.

It's not like Reznor was the web developer, or the community manager on any of those sites anyway, so I'm not sure why one would blame him for this. He's here to tell them how users want/should experience their program I believe, which hasn't anything to do with designing, proper. At best he'll draw a rough or two to drive his point across.

implanted_microchip
07-11-2016, 04:46 PM
How about he just continue to make music? Why does he give two fucks about streaming services? I don't see Mike Patton or Robert Smith or Dave Gahan or Eddie Vedder or Dave Grohl or any other musician getting involved in this nonsense. Who gives a shit if some teenybopper girl uses spotify or apple to stream the new Drake album? Most hardcore motherfuckers still buy their music in physical formats (cds/vinyl). Shit even Trent said he mostly buys vinyl these days....I never understood why he chose to take on this MASSIVE project which in the longrun is just taking him away from making music. It can't possibly be satisfying to him on a creative level having to deal with this corporate shit. a big fucking waste of time

It's almost as if Trent Reznor is a human being capable of different choices than other people and broad interests.

The guy has always shown interest in other ends of the music industry and has experimented with distribution for a while. He had his own vanity label and tried hard to make it into something. He experimented a ton with giving content away and fair-use copyright. He played around with fostering a remix community. Now he's interested in trying and seeing if he can make streaming something viable as an artist considering it's been moving in that direction regardless for a while now anyway, like it or not. I only think it's out of character for him if you have a very strict interpretation of how he's operated.

I'm sure if it wasn't satisfying that he could've walked away on many, many occasions. Instead he made a fuckton from the sale and has been continuously involved ever since. It's "a big fucking waste of time" if you're a fan who only wants new NIN music, but clearly, for him as a person who is a professional artist with an inclination to business skill, it's not, otherwise he wouldn't still be doing it.

Trust me, I wish all he'd do all the time is tour like a motherfucker and put on giant shows and release Tetsuo/Driver Down style albums with big booming vocals and do acoustic tours and do all-electronic tours and do really loud and heavy tours and do orchestral tours and just tour tour tour tour tour because no other band live comes close to NIN for me, and while we're fantasizing let's make all the tickets dirt-cheap, too, but I don't expect the guy to only be a slave to one thing if he doesn't want to do it just because it's what I would prefer.

You just seem so utterly convinced your set of priorities for Trent should be his set and that's just fucking stupid, honestly. The guy could flat-out retire from ever making music again and while I'd be extremely disappointed it's not like he wouldn't have a right to do so. And, hell, Grohl had that whole passion project of documenting that recording studio and restoring the mixing console and all that. It's not like these people don't have their own pet projects. Trent's just happens to make him millions of dollars and gets him a gig with one of the largest and most influential companies on Earth.

Khrz
07-11-2016, 04:55 PM
I don't really have a hard time believing that you might be so one-dimensional Bill, but most humans have interests and curiosities a bit more complex than being "music guy", for instance. Creativity isn't restricted to art.
And damn, what he makes with Apple might actually be right up his alley, creatively speaking. Coming up with engineering solutions, improving user experience, tinkering with new business models, coming up with new and exciting concepts, having back-and-forths with like-minded people on a common project ? If you look at his past interests, that checks out 100% with the guy. You're free to find that utterly boring, but I can totally see why he would enjoy being involved in this.

Your Name Here
07-11-2016, 05:14 PM

billpulsipher
07-11-2016, 06:10 PM
I bet if you got Trent alone in a room and asked him if this is taking up more of his time and turning into more of a hassle than he initially thought, he would say yes it has....No doubt in my mind...I think when he initially started with this, he had zero clue at how much it would entail.

Khrz
07-11-2016, 06:15 PM
Same for being a parent, doesn't mean he regrets having kids. Hell, even making music is a fucking chore half of the time. I don't know what job you have, but I want it, it seems like it's an exhilarating and rewarding activity, every fucking second of it.

implanted_microchip
07-11-2016, 06:58 PM
I bet if you got Trent alone in a room and asked him if this is taking up more of his time and turning into more of a hassle than he initially thought, he would say yes it has....No doubt in my mind...I think when he initially started with this, he had zero clue at how much it would entail.

You seem to know so much more about Trent's life and career than even he does. You should really send him some of your infinite wisdom sometime.

Remember back when Apple bought them? Yeah I'm sure he could've left at some point then after working for a while. Or when they decided to revamp things. I'm almost certain he's had plenty of chances to stop. He keeps doing it. It's as if he finds it to be a worthwhile use of his time and something different and exciting from the standard process of recording NIN material. Gee, who'd ever think someone might want to, after nearly thirty years, do some things a little out of the ordinary?

Simply put bill everyone knows how you feel on this, you've said it over and over again any chance you get and you're flat-out not adding jack shit to anything remotely resembling a discussion of any sort. It's ridiculous, dude. Find something new to whine about. I remember you used to at least go out on some insane limbs to bitch. What happened? You're losing your edge, man. You're in a posting phase that's akin to what you described Tension as!

raptors661
07-11-2016, 11:46 PM
It hasn't even been 3 years since Hesitation Marks. In the time since the album, we got the Gone Girl soundtrack, a few b-sides from Gone Girl, The Fragile instrumentals, With Teeth instrumentals, and Juno. Am I missing anything?

That's a lot of material in the past 35 months. I'm sure we can all wait a few more months for more music.

Volband
07-12-2016, 04:32 AM
It hasn't even been 3 years since Hesitation Marks. In the time since the album, we got the Gone Girl soundtrack, a few b-sides from Gone Girl, The Fragile instrumentals, With Teeth instrumentals, and Juno. Am I missing anything?

That's a lot of material in the past 35 months. I'm sure we can all wait a few more months for more music.
Two of those were even NIN-related, wow!!!! But sure, credits where its due, in the last two years he did in fact release the instrumentals for WT and TF.

But why are you even going there to imply a GG soundtrack should quench our thirst for NIN? Night and day.

raptors661
07-12-2016, 04:41 AM
Two of those were even NIN-related, wow!!!! But sure, credits where its due, in the last two years he did in fact release the instrumentals for WT and TF.

But why are you even going there to imply a GG soundtrack should quench our thirst for NIN? Night and day.
Works for me, but still. It's not like he hasn't released ANYTHING since HM. Would I like another NIN album? Of course! But I'm not gonna blame the guy for having more than one project.

Volband
07-12-2016, 05:20 AM
Works for me, but still. It's not like he hasn't released ANYTHING since HM. Would I like another NIN album? Of course! But I'm not gonna blame the guy for having more than one project.
I don't blame him either, wouldn't even blame him if he were to finish NIN for good. I blame him for absolutely neglecting his NIN fanbase. How busy you have to be to not be able to write 3 sentences on your (band's) Facebook about what's up?

Ryan
07-12-2016, 05:25 AM
Was there this much silence prior to the surprise Hesitation Marks announcement?

fillow
07-12-2016, 06:36 AM
^^
IIRC, no. There was HTDA news (An Omen EP and album announcement), then there was a Reddit IAMA, Welcome Oblivion, HTDA tour news, then NIN tour announcement (mentioning new band with Belew and Avery), then the awkward Robin Finck return and only after that TR confessed that new NIN record is in fact already finished in secrecy.

Vertigo
07-12-2016, 07:03 AM
I miss the late 2000s when Trent was so communicative online, even if it was to call certain people out on cuntiness quotient. It's that sort of fan interaction which can generate things like the Meathead Perspective.

It's so far the other way now that Trent's the musical equivalent of Valve. Operational transparency at a bare minimum, even about things the fans have been anticipating for the best part of a decade.

Volband
07-12-2016, 07:56 AM
At this point, even a little teasing would be appreciated. I'm pretty sure if Trent posted "." on NIN's FB page or at NIN.com, not only it would get a separate thread, but it would be simultaneously discussed in others as well at great length.

Deepvoid
07-12-2016, 08:16 AM
My first thought when he tweeted in late December was that he had just bought himself another 12 months to finalize whatever he was doing.
For all we know, we could release an album the same way Radiohead did, with little warning. This could happen in November and he would be faithful to his words.

The way he decides to release new NIN material is his prerogative.

We'll see but the fact that we haven't had any new announcements with regard to new NIN music doesn't bother me at all. Maybe I'll change my tune if we're at the exact same spot comes October/November.

Your Name Here
07-12-2016, 11:56 AM

sweeterthan
07-12-2016, 12:55 PM
I didn't know where to post this, so I guess I will post this here. I'm into H.P. Lovecraft and I collect his books, I love horror novels. I was searching his books on eBay and I came across this.
Does this cover look familiar to you?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Shadow-Over-Innsmouth-by-H-P-Lovecraft-/191915041353?hash=item2caf072249:g:KjwAAOSw-KFXfCFx
Direct rip

eversonpoe
07-12-2016, 01:03 PM
I didn't know where to post this, so I guess I will post this here. I'm into H.P. Lovecraft and I collect his books, I love horror novels. I was searching his books on eBay and I came across this.
Does this cover look familiar to you?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Shadow-Over-Innsmouth-by-H-P-Lovecraft-/191915041353?hash=item2caf072249:g:KjwAAOSw-KFXfCFx

technically the album (and its associated parts, including the artwork) was released under a creative commons license, so they're within their rights to use that image, i believe.

however, i don't know why on earth you'd use that image for that story.

Your Name Here
07-12-2016, 01:04 PM

Khrz
07-12-2016, 01:26 PM
technically the album (and its associated parts, including the artwork) was released under a creative commons license, so they're within their rights to use that image, i believe.

I don't think that covers commercial use though.

Edit : it doesn't, predictably.

The Slip was released under a Creative Commons (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons) attribution-noncommercial share-alike (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons_licenses) license, in effect allowing anyone to use or rework the material for any non-profit purpose, as long as credit is provided and the resulting work is released under a similar license.

Dr Channard
07-12-2016, 02:44 PM

Oh boy! If I got Trent alone in a room I’d have a waaaay better question than that! I’ve always wanted to know, which was his favorite RAMBO movie?

Microwave Jellyfish
07-12-2016, 03:49 PM
It's funny, because if some noname guy would've made it, he would've been called a pretentious, artsy wannabe, but I'm sure that this way many people think they are special because unlike us, they are fucking getting that music video. Sadly, all I get is a seizure.
Not sure about CBH, but I do feel special for getting the Deep video's intentions of being a loving tribute to schlock cinema, especially Evil Dead and The War Of the Gargantuas, that doesn't even try to be serious or, uh, not shallow. It's a cool, stupid 4-minute action flick and with respect to TR, the perfect match for the song (which I happen to like, too).

TPD: I always thought it would have been a beautiful photoshoot, but the video itself is eh.... dunno. Take a shot every time Trent has to lean forward (while trying to still look cool and sing) to keep his whole body in the frame. It's like they had to work with the wrong lens or a green screen a size too small. Really funny once you notice it.

eversonpoe
07-12-2016, 10:19 PM
Not sure about CBH, but I do feel special for getting the Deep video's intentions of being a loving tribute to schlock cinema, especially Evil Dead and The War Of the Gargantuas, that doesn't even try to be serious or, uh, not shallow. It's a cool, stupid 4-minute action flick and with respect to TR, the perfect match for the song (which I happen to like, too).

TPD: I always thought it would have been a beautiful photoshoot, but the video itself is eh.... dunno. Take a shot every time Trent has to lean forward (while trying to still look cool and sing) to keep his whole body in the frame. It's like they had to work with the wrong lens or a green screen a size too small. Really funny once you notice it.

totally agree with the first half of your post, and disagree with the second half. i LOVE the perfect drug video and it's probably 90% responsible for getting me into NIN in the first place.

GibbonBlack
07-12-2016, 10:25 PM
At this point, even a little teasing would be appreciated. I'm pretty sure if Trent posted "." on NIN's FB page or at NIN.com, not only it would get a separate thread, but it would be simultaneously discussed in others as well at great length.

Bleedthrough's follow up. "Period"

Ryan
07-13-2016, 03:51 AM
Bleedthrough's follow up. "Period"

And the TampoNIN EP.

niggo
07-13-2016, 05:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QjuEWsdgEc

Not specifically NIN-related, but I always thought that "Why so serious?" from Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard sounds like something Trent and Atticus would do. There's definitely a huge NIN vibe to it.

That being said, it's one of my favorite pieces from any soundtrack ever. They really should've gotten an Oscar for it.

cashpiles (closed)
07-13-2016, 09:55 AM
And the TampoNIN EP.

and don't forget the With Cramps maxi-PAD-single

elevenism
07-13-2016, 02:45 PM
If everyone heard the live band play Everything then I bet everyone would warm up to it. I personally enjoy the song. It's a a guitar song that doesn't have any guitar on it

What makes you think there's no guitar on Everything?
There's plenty of guitar on it, played by both Trent and Daniel Rowland. (http://www.nin.wiki/Everything)
It's actually pretty damn guitar heavy.
That's not why people don't like Everything, they don't like it because the verses sound happy.

implanted_microchip
07-13-2016, 05:38 PM
they don't like it because the verses sound happy.

And people said NIN fans are mopey Goth kids. Pssh!

Your Name Here
07-13-2016, 05:47 PM

Khrz
07-13-2016, 05:58 PM
^^^^^ We aren't????? I once dated a girl that slept in a coffin

We all date people who sleep in a coffin... Eventually.

Ryan
07-13-2016, 06:02 PM
We all date people who sleep in a coffin... Eventually.

You can sleep in my coffin any day.

Your Name Here
07-13-2016, 06:02 PM

elevenism
07-13-2016, 08:17 PM
Your Name Here , i fucked a girl who had a coffin in her living room.
Then my brother fucked her IN the coffin.
@Khrz (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2023) ,

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a609/tylerlankford11/yoda2_zpsil6xfaeq.jpg (http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/tylerlankford11/media/yoda2_zpsil6xfaeq.jpg.html)

Sorry guys. I can't get enough of that meme.
@Khrz (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2023) i think i'm going to work some rendition/rewording of what you said there into a song lyric.
(for a mopey goth song)

nooneimportant
07-14-2016, 11:42 PM
What makes you think there's no guitar on Everything?
There's plenty of guitar on it, played by both Trent and Daniel Rowland. (http://www.nin.wiki/Everything)
It's actually pretty damn guitar heavy.
That's not why people don't like Everything, they don't like it because the verses sound happy.

I realize I messed up what I was trying to say. I mean it should've been more like something off of The Slip. It feels like the guitar tone is too light, you know? I still enjoy the song but it's hard not to think of what other direction it could have gone in.

nooneimportant
07-16-2016, 01:30 AM
I just really want Coffin on the Dance Floor to be a real song or album title that Trent makes. It's too good to go to waste in any capacity.

cashpiles (closed)
07-19-2016, 10:07 PM
Trent could make an incredible album inspired by the content on echoingthesound. Seriously. There's enough material on here to inspire thousands of albums.

BenAkenobi
07-20-2016, 12:35 AM
Trent could make an incredible album inspired by the content on echoingthesound. Seriously. There's enough material on here to inspire thousands of albums.
There is exact song and i'm not sure we really want another:

What a pathetic string of words
Just leave them lying on the floor
The warning posted on the door
Not over here, not anymore
There was a place that could have been
Step over all that used to be
Since you have let yourself come in
Some things I’d rather you not see...

katara
07-20-2016, 08:25 AM
Some things I’d rather you not see...

***admin edit: I'm pretty sure it's not explicitly written as a rule here, but I'm just going to remove that image. You're welcome to discuss it in private or somewhere else. Thanks. (leviathant)***

GibbonBlack
07-20-2016, 11:11 AM
aren't there rules against posting that?

bobbie solo
07-20-2016, 03:00 PM
::saves image quickly before it's taken down b/c wtf I can't believe that is out there/posted on here::

implanted_microchip
07-20-2016, 03:04 PM
The Tension lineup never covering Pink Floyd's Money after All Time Low is an absolute tragedy.

katara
07-20-2016, 05:27 PM
aren't there rules against posting that?
If there are, I'm not aware of them. Just stuck it behind a link in case of an issue. If there's still a problem, I'm sure someone will reprimand me. ;)