PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Akahige
09-24-2014, 01:21 PM
The best version of Copy of A is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKbNWQg-WTw

because Trent's really into it and it has awesome new synths.

edit: plus I think it has the best mix of the two versions before it (tension and festival).Audio sounds really good on that video, going to have to check out the other videos later.

MrSlfDstruct
09-25-2014, 04:45 PM
The version from Fuji Rock is still the best imo. Great sound, great filming, and you can hear the crowd is really into it. And the whole show is flawless. Once, I watched it focusing on the light show. That particular stream constists almost exclusively of panoramic shots, so one can truely see how elaborate it is.

Agreed, although it'd be even better with the live drums a la Tension. But the filming really sells the Fuji version. You have to really think of the context that this was the first time NIN was back, and they really did a good job showcasing the individuals being added to the stage like a welcoming, then there was like an "Avengers Assemble" moment right before the first breakdown, and they pulled back so you can see the lights kick in when the song hits full stride. It just said "NINE INCH NAILS IS BACK." Brilliance.

hani
09-26-2014, 01:52 PM
ever since Ilan plays guitar in Copy of A, it's so low in the mix it's barely audible. what happened?

Halo Infinity
09-26-2014, 04:16 PM
Just listened to The Slip straight thru for the 1st time in like forever thanks to you clowns ^

-thanks
Thank goodness I've found this post. I know that feeling all too well as I've agreed to not do or experience certain things just because of what other people had said. All I just learned was that it could lead me to kick myself in the future for not allowing myself to possibly enjoy something that others might not like. This will really sound stupid, and in a way, it is, but that's what made me miss out on Tool and Radiohead when I was in high school. I didn't hate them, but I jumped on the bandwagon a lot when I was younger. It even prevented from being a fan of the Insane Clown Posse before actually giving their albums a chance at some point in my life as unbelievable as that would seem. (Which is also unbelievable in the other way as well, since most people in fact, do hate them, but if you've seen my history of openly being a fan of them on ETS, you'd understand.)

It also made me miss Marilyn Manson live. At this point, I'll check out whatever he's up to these days. I'm just thankful that he's still around and that I'm actually able to like a decent chunk of his post-The Golden Age of Grotesque output.

And when it came to video games, I almost tried to convert to just being a Sony PlayStation gamer.

(I'm not saying that's exactly what you're doing, but I could see how the majority's opinions can sometimes either make or break your potential enjoyment of just about anything in life.)

Fuck the bandwagon. It's not worth it. And yes, The Slip definitely gave me my fill of Nine Inch Nails at the time. I also love 1,000,000 and Echoplex live. ;)

Halo Infinity
09-26-2014, 04:29 PM
It's one of those albums I often forget about or neglect, then sporadically come back to and find myself thinking "Wow, this is a whole lot better than I remember it being, why don't I listen to this more?"
To my surprise, that actually happened to me with With Teeth and Ghosts I-IV. I used to listen to Year Zero a lot more, but now I end up listening to With Teeth the most out of all them, and have still caught myself listening to Ghosts I-IV more than The Slip. I'm still glad to know this feeling as well. :)

sheepdean
09-26-2014, 04:31 PM
I think The Slip would have a far better fan reception if it hadn't been free, people seem to always go back to it being free as a sign of disrespect, despite it being a great little album.

Billy-Bumbler
09-26-2014, 05:10 PM
I think The Slip would have a far better fan reception if it hadn't been free, people seem to always go back to it being free as a sign of disrespect, despite it being a great little album.

Agree 100%.

Love it, hate it, or leave it, The Slip ended up primarily being a "practice project" in digital distribution. Not just distribution but in recording as well. How long does it take to record an album in this computer-age and get it out to the masses (effectively)? How does free distribution of an album digitally (in copious formats) effect physical distribution/sales?

I guess a good lesson learned from The Slip is, even in the digital age, cost will still affect one's emotional perception of art.

Halo Infinity
09-26-2014, 05:11 PM
While I'm Still Here and Black Noise are quite the tearjerker for me when they really hit and move me live. It's like anger and hate combined with feelings of loss, fear, depression and despair. (Which also includes my bouts with self-loathing and suicidal ideation.) The more aggressive emotions come out of me for the Black Noise part. It just feels good, because I can relate to it so well as I have to fight those demons over and over again, and it's among those Nine Inch Nails songs that really hit home for me, while also being happy to see how Trent overcame his obstacles, and continues to do so. I could see why some people chose that over Hurt as the show closer. This is all emotions running on all cylinders for me right now, and why I keep coming back to NIN for more and more. I don't even know how to express my emotions sometimes and I normally bottle them up inside in real life, and NIN is one of those things that helps me solve my emotional problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uP9yUoDsjQ

Joy Prevention Hotline
09-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Good point. Doesn't auger well for U2's Songs of Innocence … which is probably a lesser album than The Slip anyway, even before you get into all the ridiculous drama surrounding it.

nooneimportant
09-29-2014, 03:12 AM
This is probably the best video of All The Love in The World. Especially the beginning, Wyatt Family anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rONq2ZmA40

WorzelG
09-29-2014, 03:23 AM
^^^Ilan is a joy to watch in that video, I love the percussion on that song

nooneimportant
09-29-2014, 07:48 AM
^^^Ilan is a joy to watch in that video, I love the percussion on that song

It's not very often you get to see the band playing instruments closely due to the other stuff going on, and I think that's one of the things that makes the Austin City Limits performance so great. You get closeups of the band, giving you a greater look into the effort of the music and it's awesome. As Trent once put it, theres lots of tricks going on and it's super cool.

r_k_f
09-29-2014, 10:08 AM
I'm surprised more artists don't attempt to sample NIN, especially in the Hip Hop genre...

gorast
09-29-2014, 11:52 AM
God damn, the Tension tour was fucking awesome.

Charmingly Miserable
09-29-2014, 11:47 PM
I'm surprised more artists don't attempt to sample NIN, especially in the Hip Hop genre...
Agree. After seeing Kanye do his poor attempt to rap over Closer, I think sampled NIN would sound very good in hip hop songs. (I secretly wish for a rap cover of Where is Everybody?)

nooneimportant
09-30-2014, 01:29 AM

NIN has a ton of potential sample material, especially on Year Zero. Also 7 Ghosts and 29 Ghosts.

r_k_f
09-30-2014, 06:41 AM
Agree. After seeing Kanye do his poor attempt to rap over Closer, I think sampled NIN would sound very good in hip hop songs. (I secretly wish for a rap cover of Where is Everybody?) More so after hearing his last album.. the music was really good and it had a NIN-ish vibe to it.. the poor attempt to rap over Closer, was that the morning show freestyle? that was terrible... I guess he can't freestyle..

Demogorgon
09-30-2014, 11:23 AM
More so after hearing his last album.. the music was really good and it had a NIN-ish vibe to it.. the poor attempt to rap over Closer, was that the morning show freestyle? that was terrible... I guess he can't freestyle..

he can't rap in general. his lyrics are trash. but his music is good. I always find myself wishing I could get instrumental Kanye albums.

r_k_f
09-30-2014, 12:51 PM
Ghosts I track 09 makes me feel funny.....

Bachy
09-30-2014, 06:28 PM
"Ruiner" is so damn good, probably more so than we'll ever know.

Halo Infinity
10-01-2014, 02:39 PM
@Bachy (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3010) - In that case, I also hope that you enjoyed the demo version. :)

@nemesiswontdie (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=692) - And well, anything to get a fellow ETS member's YouTube videos more views, right? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX63nXJJhwg

Marie
10-01-2014, 03:56 PM
I just listened to With Teeth in the car and it was awesome. Just putting it out there.

Inkė
10-02-2014, 03:42 AM
With Teeth is definitely this album I don't listen to that much, but when ALTITW starts, I can not stop myself.

nooneimportant
10-02-2014, 05:56 AM
I just listened to With Teeth in the car and it was awesome. Just putting it out there.

I really love the mindset Trent had for the album.

"The demo process was very stripped-down, consisting of a drum machine, a piano, a microphone, and a computer. From those demos, Reznor would determine what worked and what didn't. He found that the piano element in the demos provided an interesting contrast to the drums, and it would remain in many of the songs."

mfte
10-02-2014, 09:46 AM
I really love the mindset Trent had for the album.

"The demo process was very stripped-down, consisting of a drum machine, a piano, a microphone, and a computer. From those demos, Reznor would determine what worked and what didn't. He found that the piano element in the demos provided an interesting contrast to the drums, and it would remain in many of the songs."

I read somewhere that he ended up keeping a number of the vocal takes from the demos as well because they had a raw quality that he was missing when doing them in a proper studio.

I was crushed and dissapointed by With Teeth when it came out, probably because it was 5-6 years since the Fragile and I was expecting something really out there. Since then I have come to love the album and listen to it front to back often.... except Only. I still don't get what he was thinking with that one.

Marie
10-02-2014, 12:12 PM
I don't know why, I just heard it differently last night, if that makes sense. Always nice when that happens, like a little layer has peeled away and you hear something new.

baudolino
10-02-2014, 12:52 PM
http://38.media.tumblr.com/074dda4444e2ffecc6f72194296b6110/tumblr_ncshq0TisH1s726nxo10_1280.jpghttp://38.media.tumblr.com/074dda4444e2ffecc6f72194296b6110/tumblr_ncshq0TisH1s726nxo10_1280.jpg

fillow
10-02-2014, 02:04 PM
I think I see an alien ship at the top

Bachy
10-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Just bought some new headphones, and just listened to the audiophile version of "Copy of A."

Holy shit.

nooneimportant
10-02-2014, 10:02 PM
I wish The Spiral was still around. Was before my time as a fan, but it seemed really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/user/thespiralvideos Here's some videos that got saved. Really great stuff.

butter_hole
10-02-2014, 11:36 PM
he can't rap in general. his lyrics are trash. but his music is good. I always find myself wishing I could get instrumental Kanye albums.
Um, *pushes glasses back to top of nose*, actually, he can rap.

Have you not heard his verses on Gorgeous?

Aywok
10-02-2014, 11:37 PM
The Cassette's Won't Listen remix of 'Flyentology' highlights Trent's vocal contribution to the track very well.

sheepdean
10-03-2014, 01:10 AM
The Cassette's Won't Listen remix of 'Flyentology' highlights Trent's vocal contribution to the track very well.
You know, there's an instrumental version, has anyone done that elimination thing to isolate his vocals?

nooneimportant
10-03-2014, 01:14 AM

Kanye West's first album The College Dropout is one of the greatest albums I have ever heard. I was battling the depression at the time it came out in 2004, it was getting me through the bullshit. The Album is a classic as far as I'm concerned.

icklekitty
10-03-2014, 05:07 AM

Kanye makes some great records, which almost makes me hate him even more.

EndlessLoveless
10-03-2014, 11:12 AM
Oh my god i hate the Kanye love. Ive heard his albums. What is so great or unique or revolutionary about his music that we talk about him on a nine inch nails board? PLEASE FILL ME IN. I DONT GET IT!

Only thing even remotely related to him that i though was brilliant was the Rogen/Franco video.

It feels like an inside joke that everyone gets but me. I dont understand.

EndlessLoveless
10-03-2014, 04:13 PM
That hurts man. Dudes rhymes are wack.

Inkė
10-03-2014, 04:27 PM
After listening to Yorke's new album I wanted to strip down some NIN albums to eight tracks, like little Thom does since The King of Limbs.
Of course I had to cut classic songs, but I wanted to create a new flow. I thought it could bring a new light to them.

Year Zero :
1- me, i'm not
2- survivalism
3- meet your master*
4- the warning*
5- the great destroyer
6- another version of the truth
7- in this twilight
8- zero-sum

The Downward Spiral**
1- piggy
2- dead souls
3- a warm place
4- eraser
5- reptile
6- the downward spiral
7- all the pigs, all lined up
8- closer

*These two work very well together
**Yeah I cheated, I used the deluxe edition

Khrz
10-04-2014, 02:26 AM
You ditch I Do Not Want This and include a cover instead ? Go to hell, heathen !

sheepdean
10-04-2014, 03:45 AM
You ditch I Do Not Want This and include a cover instead ? Go to hell, heathen !
Well, Dead Souls was on the original TDS release in Japan and it fits and should have been on domestic releases too

Khrz
10-04-2014, 04:32 AM
I have never thought of any japan release as "canon". They always get a B-side track or a remix shove in, and including Dead Souls there somewhat destroys the narrative and the purpose of a concept album to me, you see what I mean ? It's like having a trailer in the middle of a movie, or the author telling you to check out his buddie's book as well right after chapter 15... Dead Souls is a great track, but as far as including unrelated tracks, having Burn included makes a lot more sense to me than having the Joy Division cover, as great as it is. It doesn't even sound right, compared to the rest of the album... That's like putting Metal in The Fragile...

sheepdean
10-04-2014, 04:50 AM
But what Dead Souls is about totally fits, a schism of mentality.

BenAkenobi
10-04-2014, 05:06 AM
Never really cared for that one Dead Souls tune. Notable exception: when someone on forums said s/he uses "they keep calling me" as a ringtone. That cracked me up so bad i can't take the song seriously anymore :)

Khrz
10-04-2014, 05:13 AM
But what Dead Souls is about totally fits, a schism of mentality.

Oh yeah, I'm not arguing that ! What I mean by "destroys the narrative" is that you get a whole album worth of monologue and inner turmoil, just to suddenly have your character quoting another band for five minutes. That doesn't work for me. Then again, I'm not making a point about the official inclusion of Dead Souls in The Downward Spiral, that's just my two cents about it :)

Fun fact nobody cares about : It's Dead Souls that got me into NIN. My parents worked in a library and my dad was always bringing CDs home and checking out the new releases/catalogue. I had bought The Crow soundtrack and asked him if they had My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult. Since they didn't, I asked for Nine Inch Nails, which they didn't have either (NIN was quite obscure in France before TDS), so I went to my records store and bought Broken. A few months later my dad showed me a review in his newspaper talking about The Downward Spiral.

sheepdean
10-04-2014, 05:22 AM
That's fair, but I try to see it as part of the album, no different to Stephen King quoting bands in Dark Tower. Or maybe the protagonist just put on Still between his breakdowns :P

jmtd
10-04-2014, 08:19 AM
I don't think dead souls fits on the end, I definitely don't think closer fits on the end, but to be honest I don't think hurt does either. It stands alone, but TDS ending with TDS works best IMHO.

BenAkenobi
10-04-2014, 09:06 AM
Anybody ever considered TDS a bigger "mess" than TF?

seasonsinthesky
10-04-2014, 03:57 PM

i find it a little more bizarre to use a silly and overlong remix of a classic NIN song (ATPALU) instead of the original.

to keep (a lot of) the story intact:
01. Mr. Self Destruct
02. March of the Pigs
03. Reptile
04. Closer
05. A Warm Place
06. Eraser
07. Hurt
08. The Downward Spiral

Joy Prevention Hotline
10-04-2014, 09:52 PM
Dead Souls is a great track, but as far as including unrelated tracks, having Burn included makes a lot more sense to me than having the Joy Division cover, as great as it is. It doesn't even sound right, compared to the rest of the album... That's like putting Metal in The Fragile...
Much as I love Dead Souls, I have to agree with you. (It helps that I also have a fondness for Burn.) NIN's covers tend to be too faithful to the originals to fit into an album musically, let alone lyrically.*

That said, I don't think Suck deserved to be relegated to the Broken bonus disc — hell, he was half covering himself.

* Not to contradict what Sheepdean said about Dead Souls fitting into TDS thematically.

sheepdean
10-05-2014, 12:30 AM
NIN's covers tend to be too faithful to the originals to fit into an album musically, let alone lyrically.*

That said, I don't think Suck deserved to be relegated to the Broken bonus disc — hell, he was half covering himself.

I thought Zoo Station was a heavy departure, though I guess a decade between cover songs might have given him time to figure it out. And Suck/Physical were on there because they weren't part of Broken, not for being covers - they were originally meant to be on a Lolla promotional release blah blah blah.

Joy Prevention Hotline
10-05-2014, 01:33 AM
I thought Zoo Station was a heavy departure, though I guess a decade between cover songs might have given him time to figure it out.
Hmm, I dunno if I'd call it a departure … still more U2 than NIN. I can't picture it showing up on Hesitation Marks, even if he'd put more effort into it than that.

WorzelG
10-05-2014, 02:11 AM
I've always thought of the Zoo Station cover being kind of a 'thank you' to Bono for giving him some advice that time (when he was photographed with bono backstage somewhere). It's like a full circle thing, the original was U2 going a bit NIN and the cover was NIN going U2.
http://www.lynchnet.com/lh/lhrs3.html

He mentions it in this interview, he also talks about tapeworm and new NIN being funk hip hop at the end!

sheepdean
10-05-2014, 02:23 AM
Hmm, I dunno if I'd call it a departure … still more U2 than NIN. I can't picture it showing up on Hesitation Marks, even if he'd put more effort into it than that.
It was very U2, which made it a departure as the song is so NOT U2 - I remember when it was announced and everyone though it was a good choice because that song sounded so much like Trent

botley
10-05-2014, 09:09 AM
Trent actually sings the melody of the song, for one thing.

Scarlet Siren
10-05-2014, 09:11 AM
Gone Girl soundtrack > Hesitation Marks

Inkė
10-05-2014, 10:30 AM
I would even say the three soundtracks > Hesitation Marks.

Vertigo
10-05-2014, 12:07 PM
I don't think Gone Girl or Dragon Tattoo get anywhere remotely close to Hesitation Marks (and I like GG). My opinion, that album can sit comfortably alongside anything else in Trent's entire oeuvre, TDS included - it's a spectacular piece of musicianship, production and reflective writing.

I'll say this though, the last year and seven months have been a truly wonderful time to be a NIN fan.

r_z
10-05-2014, 06:25 PM
You know, there's an instrumental version, has anyone done that elimination thing to isolate his vocals?

No need to! EL-P released vocal stems for each song off I'll Sleep When You're Dead on a tour only CD of his. I'm sure you'll find it on the interwebz. If not, feel free to hit me up for a pm...

r_k_f
10-06-2014, 12:28 PM
Todays forecast..... Cloudy with a chance of Sugar Storm.

nooneimportant
10-06-2014, 08:25 PM
I was reading something the other night from the With Teeth era where Trent says "There a few unreleased songs that have found a home on the next album" and have started to wonder what songs off Year Zero they could be. The Beginning of The End really sounds like it could've been on With Teeth.

Halo Infinity
10-06-2014, 09:44 PM
My guesses for that would probably also be The Good Soldier, Capital G, God Given, The Greater Good and Another Version Of The Truth. They probably had different song titles and lyrics too.

nooneimportant
10-06-2014, 10:17 PM
The Warning is also a strong candidate. It was listed as a title on the With Teeth lyrics poster, but it had no lyrics printed. Also on that poster is The Life You Didn't Lead, which bears lyrics that are very close to Zero-Sum.

howdidislipinto
10-07-2014, 02:10 AM
NIN's covers tend to be too faithful to the originals to fit into an album musically, let alone lyrically.

But Metal is so unique! And it fits TWO Gary Numan covers into one song! Doesn't it get points for that alone?

(Or is it three? I know it's Metal and M.E. for sure. Also, I guess that might mean it's TOO faithful, which doesn't really contradict you.)

nooneimportant
10-07-2014, 09:25 AM
I want Trent to cover the Peanuts theme. I just do. Think about it.

Dimitri.
10-07-2014, 09:29 AM
For those who have never heard the great Trent Broken-style mix of Machines of Loving Grace :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHUA-VkLaXk

nooneimportant
10-07-2014, 10:33 PM
For those who have never heard the great Trent Broken-style mix of Machines of Loving Grace :

Is this real? Where did you get it? This is cool.

It sounds like Trent scoring a game for Sega CD.

BenAkenobi
10-07-2014, 10:43 PM
Of course it's real. It's track 3 on this single http://www.discogs.com/Machines-Of-Loving-Grace-Burn-Like-Brilliant-Trash-At-Jackies-Funeral/master/34722

Halo Infinity
10-08-2014, 02:10 AM

Thanks for the find. I'm also checking out Machines of Loving Grace right now, and I'm definitely feeling it. :)

eversonpoe
10-08-2014, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the find. I'm also checking out Machines of Loving Grace right now, and I'm definitely feeling it. :)

they had a song on the first Crow soundtrack, if the name sounds vaguely familiar to you. didn't know trent ever did a remix for them, though!

jmtd
10-08-2014, 12:07 PM
they had a song on the first Crow soundtrack, if the name sounds vaguely familiar to you. didn't know trent ever did a remix for them, though!

The name references a poem iirc? It's also the name of a fantastic documentary

icecream
10-08-2014, 07:41 PM
I want Trent to cover the Peanuts theme. I just do. Think about it.

And then The Wretched after

Halo Infinity
10-08-2014, 09:16 PM
I actually had Piggy, La Mer or All The Love In The World in mind, but perhaps The Wretched could probably work too. :p

Microwave Jellyfish
10-09-2014, 06:26 AM
Something about HM demo #2 is really addicting. Feels like the perfect background music for anything. I wish there was a 15-minutes-long version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By-PrCMlBlI

Halo Infinity
10-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Dimitri. - I thought that you also might like the one featuring Killing Joke. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgIBc8c1UGw

kel
10-09-2014, 03:46 PM
does anyone from the old board remember this?

http://www.wearingthesechains.com

it was so cleverly orchestrated and well written that lots of us at the time couldn't help but take it seriously.

those people fucking committed to that. it monopolized the shitlist and caused quite a stir.

good stuff, right there. bravo to whoever they are.

long live gothemo! :)

BRoswell
10-09-2014, 05:45 PM
So I managed to sync up the isolated vocals for Terrible Lie from the recent multitrack collection with the Inverse Phase version of the song. It is, in a word, awesome.

Halo Infinity
10-10-2014, 12:34 AM
I was just thinking about how Nine Inch Nails is still sort of like my therapy in some ways, and then I came across this picture. :)

http://31.media.tumblr.com/cbb606d6e78d761c239be26ddc302926/tumblr_my677zJCRU1s1qt7jo1_500.jpg

Halo Infinity
10-10-2014, 09:23 PM
@elevenism (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475) - Are Pretty Hate Machine, The Fragile, With Teeth and Hesitation Marks your favorite albums to test headphones with now?

It just kept occurring to me that I use those albums as of now whenever I'm trying to test headphones more than any of the other ones.

nooneimportant
10-10-2014, 09:36 PM
@elevenism (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475) - Are Pretty Hate Machine, The Fragile, With Teeth and Hesitation Marks your favorite albums to test headphones with now?

It just kept occurring to me that I use those albums as of now whenever I'm trying to test headphones more than any of the other ones.

Listen to Vessel, The Warning and The Greater Good to test the bass. Always.

Halo Infinity
10-10-2014, 09:42 PM
When it came to Year Zero and testing bass on headphones, my choices were often The Good Soldier, Capital G, God Given, The Great Destroyer and Zero-Sum. I've also got to admit that those are very good choices as well.

tony.parente
10-10-2014, 11:47 PM
I'm pretty sure i've said this before somewhere but the Still version of The Becoming is far and away the best audio recording Trent has done in any capacity period.

seasonsinthesky
10-11-2014, 08:32 AM

always pick something you know inside and out. doesn't have to have a lot of bass or whatever, you just have to know it in your DNA. then you'll hear the difference. (this is also how you figure out if high res audio sounds better to you, or vinyl, or...)

Aywok
10-11-2014, 10:06 AM

Just thought I'd throw out some individual examples, sticking with TR-related projects:

• The entirety of Welcome Oblivion is a very good test for lows to mids. There is also some good tests of the mids to highs in a lot of Mariqueen's vocalization. I could give track-by-track examples, but that's too long winded.

• The "space" noise used in Corona Radiata, Perihelion, Background Noise, and At Risk is a good test for highs. Unfortunately, there's not much going on with the upper frequencies in a lot of the "new" high-resolution stuff.

• The Heretics is a great track for testing the attack/decay/bloat of bass for your headphones. The marimba on The Heretics should almost sound like 2 separate noises. You'll hear the marimba hit [mid to lower-high range], with a deeper "echo" [tinge of bass] at the tail end of every marimba note. This is accentuated nicely with the deeper bass synth line that enters the song later. All three of these should be noticeable always, which then gives your ears room to move around and discover even more. :)

elevenism
10-11-2014, 04:06 PM
@Kris (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=244) I haven't tested headphones lately but if I did, I'd go with Geogaddi by Boards of Canada

PS Aywok , good call on Welcome Oblivion...it also has a lot of stereo trickery.

Halo Infinity
10-11-2014, 04:28 PM
elevenism - But as far as Nine Inch Nails albums go, which ones aside from Hesitation Marks would you select? Perhaps I worded that question a bit poorly. Those were still my guesses though.

Oh yeah, and out of all things with our NIN-related discussions, which NIN albums are your favorites as of now? I also kept forgetting to ask you that question for some reason.

elevenism
10-11-2014, 04:40 PM
@Kris (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=244) , to test sound? Hell, I don't know...CBH sounds really thick in the car.

As far as which NIN albums are my faves...

TDS is fucking amazing, but I don't listen to it as much these days because it is so goddamned depressing.

I think that Broken/Fixed will always be my favorites because that's the first nin that I got into, when those albums came out you know?

I fucking LOVE YZ and although i'm still getting into HM, I love it too.

What NIN would I put on right now?

1.HM
2.YZ
3.Broken/Fixed
4.Awitha Teetha
5.TS
6.TF
7.TDS
8.PHM
9.Ghosts

Mind you, that's not my all time ranking, just current based on my mood, what I've listened to recently etc. I ADORE every NIN release, but Ghosts is my least favorite.

Skeptikk
10-11-2014, 06:43 PM
Keep forgetting the NIN front page is playing "The Way He Looks At Me".

I had something from Aphex Twins new album playing when I went to open up my browser and load all my favourites, whatever was playing seemed to meld to it perfectly.

sheepdean
10-13-2014, 07:48 AM
Does anyone know if demo tracks have made it onto subsequent albums as finished tracks? Wishful thinking, I know, but I'd love to see what this demo would have looked like as a finished track.
Ghosts 38 became Demon Seed, that's about it really. Though we have demos for a few NIN tracks over the years, none were released prior to the album version.

And honourable mention to Magnetic and A Familiar Taste from TSN of course.

fillow
10-13-2014, 08:00 AM
Some The Fragile and Tapeworm leftovers evolved into Niggy Tardust songs. This, and sheepdean's example above are pretty much the only examples that are supported by evidence. Anything else would be pure speculation (although I doubt there's anything, really)

sheepdean
10-13-2014, 08:14 AM
If you count Tapeworm, I wouldn't be surprised if there's more out there than we know - Danny's always hinted he used it for score work, and if there was any music written by just TRAR from tapeworm, they could add it to a NIN song without having to add any credits.

Charmingly Miserable
10-13-2014, 03:51 PM
I'm not too big on the remixes but I love the shit out of El P's remix of Only.

elevenism
10-13-2014, 04:58 PM
I miss the days of the nin remix albums.

edit: and the year zero one doesn't count because it was just...different. Although it DID have a couple of good tracks on it.

I'm talking fixed, fdts, ctg, tfa...
Kris , you always make me feel so cool, caring so much what my opinion of things is.
Thanks, man. It really cheers me up sometimes

Vertigo
10-13-2014, 05:27 PM
I definitely miss the days when the main album's collaborators were the ones who developed the remixes. Brings out deeper elements of the song, whereas hiring an external remix artist feels irrelevant to the material.

nooneimportant
10-14-2014, 06:34 AM
Holy shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV5eP0I-m5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkw0C7vt5B8

sweeterthan
10-14-2014, 07:09 PM
We need a Courtney love filter stat. Any time her name comes up with Trent's, all I can think is "someone needs attention".

nooneimportant
10-14-2014, 11:08 PM
Also I found these too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gix23mMU-cg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZjuTjZeydA

I noticed that they kept some of the imagery from these visuals for the most recent live shows.

butter_hole
10-14-2014, 11:14 PM
Where are they from? DVD bonus features?

The_Prowler
10-15-2014, 02:59 PM
I don't care what anyone says, but Aaron North was my favorite guitarist Trent's ever had. I still love Robin, but I always thought what Aaron did was pretty special. He brought a sound to the music that it never had before and hasn't had since.

That's just my opinion. Feel free to hate as much as you like.

Suge
10-15-2014, 04:34 PM
I don't think I'd say he was my favorite but, he was definitely entertaining and enjoyable to watch. I like different aspects of Aaron's playing and Finck's playing. Plus Finck always looks possessed with the music and that makes me squeeee.

billpulsipher
10-15-2014, 04:50 PM
Richard Patrick was better than them both

eversonpoe
10-15-2014, 05:22 PM
Richard Patrick was better than them both

see, this is where i REALLY can't take you seriously.

i love richard patrick, and i love filter, but during his tenure in NIN, none of his guitar work was really that great. nothing he did was really unique or stood out; he just played the parts as written. that's not a dig on him, he's a solid musician. but what (other than your obsession with what you must think is the "golden era" of NIN) makes you honestly think he's a better guitar player than either aaron or robin?

sheepdean
10-15-2014, 05:34 PM
You know, I think being exactly what Trent writes worked then though. No, I don't think he's the best musician who's taken the role, but he worked great in that era exactly because he wasn't jumping everywhere making up riffs, he was playing note for note what people wanted to hear, at arguably the peak of NIN's popularity. I'd always take Finck for guitar, but I can see liking Patrick for what he did.

billpulsipher
10-15-2014, 05:45 PM
see, this is where i REALLY can't take you seriously.

i love richard patrick, and i love filter, but during his tenure in NIN, none of his guitar work was really that great. nothing he did was really unique or stood out; he just played the parts as written. that's not a dig on him, he's a solid musician. but what (other than your obsession with what you must think is the "golden era" of NIN) makes you honestly think he's a better guitar player than either aaron or robin?

Richard has formed another band that has had some success...what exactly has Aaron done other than NIN? Pre and Post NIN he has done jack shit

Richard fit NIN perfectly, he was there since the beginning. His interaction with TR during the live shows helped change the culture of the NIN live show...Aaron running around on stage trying to make things look chaotic and crazy is just copping the same shit Richard did 15 years earlier

botley
10-15-2014, 06:24 PM
I don't care what anyone says, but Aaron North was my favorite guitarist Trent's ever had. I still love Robin, but I always thought what Aaron did was pretty special. He brought a sound to the music that it never had before and hasn't had since.

That's just my opinion. Feel free to hate as much as you like.
I totally agree; Aaron was like nobody else that's ever been in the band. So much fun to watch him play live, and it made each show unpredictable and unique.

butter_hole
10-15-2014, 07:47 PM
I'd love to see how Josh Klinghoffer would have gone in the role.

The_Prowler
10-15-2014, 10:32 PM
I totally agree; Aaron was like nobody else that's ever been in the band. So much fun to watch him play live, and it made each show unpredictable and unique.
Glad to see I'm no the only one who feels that way :D I can't tell you how many times I've said that and been reprimanded for not thinking that Robin is God (he's still a VERY close second for me, though. It really depends on what kind of mood I'm in on any given day which one is my number one).

nooneimportant
10-15-2014, 11:11 PM
Aaron North is great but after reading that article about his mental issues, watching him almost doesn't feel right anymore because it had to do with his mental state at the time and he wasn't just raging just for the entertainment of the fans. It's kinda scary. He definitely was a good fit for the band, though.

somethingelse
10-16-2014, 03:38 AM
My random NIN thought is about the 'NIN Spotting' thread.
If anyone sees a post in 'NIN Spotting' and cares enough about it to comment, how about link to said post and comment about it here.
There are people who subscribe to email notifications from the 'NIN Spotting' thread and don't really care for updates on the inane chatter that follows a nice spotting.
Just sayin'.

telee.kom
10-16-2014, 04:07 AM
well.. sorry? I guess

eversonpoe
10-16-2014, 09:23 AM
My random NIN thought is about the 'NIN Spotting' thread.
If anyone sees a post in 'NIN Spotting' and cares enough about it to comment, how about link to said post and comment about it here.
There are people who subscribe to email notifications from the 'NIN Spotting' thread and don't really care for updates on the inane chatter that follows a nice spotting.
Just sayin'.

it literally never occurs to me to do that, because i'm talking about something IN THAT THREAD. i don't even actually know how to reply to something with a quote in another thread. and i feel like that would make it convoluted and confusing, because you're responding to something that's in a different thread...but i don't want to be the jerk who people get pissed at because they're getting a bunch of e-mail notifications, so if someone tells me how to do it, i'll try to remember.

allegro
10-16-2014, 09:33 AM
If you click on the post number on the upper-right, it provides you with a url to the post. Copy the url, then paste it with a comment of cross-reference?

Like this (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2863-NIN-Spotting-2014?p=220856#post220856).

Then talk about the post in here.

Sarah K
10-16-2014, 11:08 AM
You could also click "Reply With Quote" in the NIN Spotting thread, copy that info, and then paste it into a reply in this thread.

allegro
10-16-2014, 11:10 AM
But you should still link the url so people know where it came from.

eversonpoe
10-16-2014, 11:19 AM
that doesn't seem like a kind of silly thing to do to most people, as opposed to just...responding to the post in the thread where it was posted?

Sarah K
10-16-2014, 11:20 AM
that doesn't seem like a kind of silly thing to do to most people, as opposed to just...responding to the post in the thread where it was posted?

Yes... It seems weird to me.

BenAkenobi
10-16-2014, 11:38 AM
Well, if people would like to discuss in same thread, i think it's fine as long as they don't quote youtube videos or photos all over the place. I mean, what's with those unhappy that topic got updated? Big deal? Money loss?

allegro
10-16-2014, 12:26 PM

For a long time on ETS, you were not allowed to comment in the Narcissism and Voyeurism thread (https://web.archive.org/web/20070217090544/http://www.echoingthesound.org/phpbbx/viewtopic.php?t=9653&sid=071596168f0850b571f44b38257f4b9b) or in the NIN Spotting thread. For whatever that's worth. You had to post comments in another thread, with a link back to the original thread so people would know what you're talking about.

eversonpoe
10-16-2014, 01:37 PM
For a long time on ETS, you were not allowed to comment in the Narcissism and Voyeurism thread (https://web.archive.org/web/20070217090544/http://www.echoingthesound.org/phpbbx/viewtopic.php?t=9653&sid=071596168f0850b571f44b38257f4b9b) or in the NIN Spotting thread. For whatever that's worth. You had to post comments in another thread, with a link back to the original thread so people would know what you're talking about.

i think that's a serious detriment to a board that is meant to be about conversation, so i'm glad that isn't the case anymore. thus, until someone actual tells me not to do it, i will continue to comment (in a relevant manner) on things that are posted, in the threads where they are posted.

GrayscaleRain
10-16-2014, 01:44 PM

Augh! XD I remember that. I got a warning back before the overhaul because I answered a question in the NIN-Spotting thread that someone had posted and I was SO angry. I'd always tried to be a good member, so that really upset me to the time. (I remember complaining to Levi about it to no avail. XD) I don't care much anymore since that system doesn't exist anymore and that was a good eight years or so ago, but still.

RANDOM THOUGHT!

Do you think the days of maxi singles and remix albums are done? I'd always enjoyed hearing the multiple versions of songs from the NIN camp because they seemed to be alternate takes or conceptual follow-throughs of the same idea rather than someone taking a song and doing their own thing with it. They seemed to contain the same life that made the original songs, you know? That kind of stopped during/after the With Teeth era and I wonder if we'll ever get anything like that ever again.

I realize that remix albums don't exactly sell and singles aren't really a thing anymore (They happen, sure, and are still common in the dance world. I've got my copy of Porter Robinson's Spitfire right here. But it's not something you get in rock/metal/whatever NIN is these days with the way digital distribution is.) but it would still be nice to see TR and his buddies get together and really deconstruct a NIN album.

Of course, it's still pretty jarring, mentally, with all the soundtrack music. Once upon a time NINstrumentals were somewhat rare, coveted pieces of the catalog. A thing like Still was BIG. But since Ghosts, it seems like he and Atticus have really been laying down the instrumental tracks and it can be a bit overwhelming to sift through them at times. Again, not a complaint, but an observation. I don't churn over albums like I did when I was in high school/just graduated, so I guess I don't connect with things as easily, and I just haven't given the soundtracks the kind of play I did things like With Teeth and Year Zero. (Hell, I even played the piss out of HM, but I still don't think I've ever listened to TGWTDT all the way through in one sitting. That's three hours of music. I can't even listen to both sides of The Fragile in one sitting anymore. XD)

Just random thoughts/observations.

allegro
10-16-2014, 02:07 PM
Augh! XD I remember that. I got a warning back before the overhaul because I answered a question in the NIN-Spotting thread that someone had posted and I was SO angry. I'd always tried to be a good member, so that really upset me to the time. (I remember complaining to Levi about it to no avail. XD) I don't care much anymore since that system doesn't exist anymore and that was a good eight years or so ago, but still.
Yeah, those evil warning bars! Once you had one (or MORE), you couldn't get rid of them! They were marks that followed you everywhere! :p

pwing47
10-16-2014, 02:18 PM
Do you think the days of maxi singles and remix albums are done? I'd always enjoyed hearing the multiple versions of songs from the NIN camp because they seemed to be alternate takes or conceptual follow-throughs of the same idea rather than someone taking a song and doing their own thing with it. They seemed to contain the same life that made the original songs, you know? That kind of stopped during/after the With Teeth era and I wonder if we'll ever get anything like that ever again.

I guess technically the last one was Year Zero Remixed (no, I'm not typing out the stylized version :)), but yeah, other than Saul and Alessandro, I think that was mostly comprised of non-NIN ppl. I'd guess that future releases (if/when we get more NIN material) would be in the same vein as Seed 8 (Remix 2014 EP) rather than a full-length Halo.

i.e. Trent and co. probably won't release a full-length halo. But I'd love to be proven wrong! Vertigo mentioned above that it'd be awesome if the collaborators were the main remixers (which might bring out some of the deeper sounds/layers that they helped create, along with additional ideas that they would've liked to play with) -- couldn't agree more!

screwdriver
10-16-2014, 02:37 PM

dude, I love you, but no
there are dozens if not hundreds of threads

having a few utilitarian threads that are kept focused is not just helpful for those of us who follow them, it actually helps keep conversations going on the board generally, because new information doesn't get lost amidst noise but is always in one digestable place. the threads have names and purposes -- "nin-spotting" isn't "nin-spotting + commentary"

BenAkenobi
10-16-2014, 02:43 PM
Speaking of YRZRRMXD, i didn't understand 2 things about it: 1st - Survivalism remix duplicated from single, 2nd - The Good Soldier Interpol mix that is vinyl-only. kinda ruins the whole thing for me :(

sheepdean
10-16-2014, 03:09 PM
Speaking of YRZRRMXD, i didn't understand 2 things about it: 1st - Survivalism remix duplicated from single, 2nd - The Good Soldier Interpol mix that is vinyl-only. kinda ruins the whole thing for me :(
I like the idea of a remix album having all the remixes of the era (for people who aren't tech savvy, I bet TDS era is awful for getting all the mixes), but I agree anything being format exclusive sucks.

m15a
10-16-2014, 06:52 PM
i think that's a serious detriment to a board that is meant to be about conversation, so i'm glad that isn't the case anymore. thus, until someone actual tells me not to do it, i will continue to comment (in a relevant manner) on things that are posted, in the threads where they are posted.
Don't do it. :-P

Seriously, my impression is that that rule still stands but is less strict, which is why posts keep getting pulled out of that thread. It's like the tour journal threads - the rules might seem inconvenient at first, but its more useful for those looking back at the threads later. Or for people that don't read everything on the board but do want to see all the links to articles, etc.

icecream
10-16-2014, 07:53 PM
but i don't want to be the jerk who people get pissed at because they're getting a bunch of e-mail notifications, so if someone tells me how to do it, i'll try to remember.

Just my two cents. I posted non-ninspotting too till I realized it as just inconvenient for people who follow that thread. Plus, it seems like a lot of unnecessary work for the mod who has to weed it all out and make new threads.

Halo Infinity
10-16-2014, 08:43 PM
This particular performance kept coming to mind now that I'm at the Philippines for the 4th time on a family vacation. I also hope and wish that Nine Inch Nails performs in other parts of the Philippines as well, such as Iloilo City.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRTcIZUAaLc

allegro
10-16-2014, 09:26 PM
dude, I love you, but no
there are dozens if not hundreds of threads

having a few utilitarian threads that are kept focused is not just helpful for those of us who follow them, it actually helps keep conversations going on the board generally, because new information doesn't get lost amidst noise but is always in one digestable place. the threads have names and purposes -- "nin-spotting" isn't "nin-spotting + commentary"
In other words, comments in NIN Spotting = drift.

Drift in NIN Spotting has always been heavily frowned upon on ETS. We've all been guilty of it (myself included, and I'm the original drift-hater), and I guess we should all try to refrain from doing it if at all possible, although I'm not an admin and try not to impersonate one.

It's very nice that we are now allowed to self-police, vs. back when the admins had to go all gestapo on us and slap warning bars on everybody and then impose post-limits to police it.

However, if Leviathant et al. wish that members would not drift in NIN Spotting, perhaps a tag suggestion should be added to the first post or something? Because right now, members aren't really given any guidance telling them that it's even mildly discouraged. And Leviathant has made it clear that other members shouldn't represent what the Admins want from the Board. ??

(egad, this is, technically, drift in this thread)

Leviathant
10-17-2014, 12:24 AM
I split the living hell out of NIN spotting. All the time. It's an uphill battle, and life's super fucking bonkers for me right now out here in meatspace. And I don't know that I'd say you're okay to self-police. I think the board's a bit more adult now, for sure, but I still don't like it when people impose their will on other people. That leads to an abuse of inherent power that becomes very difficult to counteract.

pwing47
10-17-2014, 12:29 AM
I'm re-watching the NIN ACL video tonight (which has a somewhat deeper meaning to me, since one of my best friends was at the taping).

I forgot that they played The Big Come Down at that show. Lol, that bastard. I've been to 8 shows and that song has eluded me. Still on the bucket list.

The weird part is seeing the crowd of people who can't really rock out, since they are mostly either A) older ppl who just want to enjoy watching the show, or B) ppl who want to rock out but were told not to.

Also (this show is jogging my memory), looking back ~1 year, I feel very privileged to have seen the live debut of most of HM in St Paul at my first-ever NIN show. The WISH/BN debut was very powerful for me.

allegro
10-17-2014, 12:31 AM
I split the living hell out of NIN spotting. All the time. It's an uphill battle, and life's super fucking bonkers for me right now out here in meatspace. And I don't know that I'd say you're okay to self-police. I think the board's a bit more adult now, for sure, but I still don't like it when people impose their will on other people. That leads to an abuse of inherent power that becomes very difficult to counteract.
(When I said "self-police," I meant, "guide yourself accordingly.")

littlemonkey613
10-17-2014, 04:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYdnBXcZwns

God fucking shit you know their live arrangements never cease to amaze me. Stupid good all the damn time.

Ryan
10-17-2014, 04:56 AM
I like the idea of a remix album having all the remixes of the era (for people who aren't tech savvy, I bet TDS era is awful for getting all the mixes), but I agree anything being format exclusive sucks.

Why's that, re: all TDS era mixes?

fillow
10-17-2014, 05:22 AM
He probably means that you have to buy at least 4 CDs (MotP, Closer to God, FDTS v1 & v2) to collect all remixes, as opposed to getting just one YZR album (which btw still missing Dave Sitek and Opalheartclinic remixes of Survivalism)

sheepdean
10-17-2014, 05:39 AM
Not to mention radio single exlusive versions

jessamineny
10-17-2014, 07:49 AM
In other words, comments in NIN Spotting = drift.

<snip>

(egad, this is, technically, drift in this thread)

There is a thread (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1722-NIN-Spotting)about NIN Spotting moderation, fwiw

Omega
10-19-2014, 01:16 AM
Lol, did NIN do the music for Sonic Spinball?:). Or whoever made that Something Blue song maybe they did it, lol.

Vertigo
10-19-2014, 11:13 AM
Where on earth did you get that one from?? I don't even hear any similarity.

Sonic Spinball's music was produced by Howard Drossin, who also worked on Sonic & Knuckles and Comix Zone.

Omega
10-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Anyone hear that stupid, 'Call me a Hole?" mix? Lol, that's just bad.

FernandoDante
10-19-2014, 05:40 PM
Regarding this post:

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2863-NIN-Spotting-2014?p=221350#post221350

I wonder how many people have seen the red robe pic.

nooneimportant
10-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Regarding this post:

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2863-NIN-Spotting-2014?p=221350#post221350

I wonder how many people have seen the red robe pic.

Oh god please don't remind me.

ethan829
10-19-2014, 09:41 PM

I liked it.

botley
10-20-2014, 01:00 AM
Huh? I thought that was cool. Dave Ogilvie mixed the original, you know. That hyper-aggro kick drum makes the thing rock hard, mightily, with the screaming vocal. I liked it so much, in fact, we used it as curtain-call music for a play my friends did about someone who starts hearing voices that tell him to kill people.

Charmingly Miserable
10-21-2014, 07:12 PM
Over at one of the NIN FB groups, Sharlotte Gibson had nothing but nice things to say about Trent, which makes me happy. I think he really respected the girls and it showed.

eversonpoe
10-22-2014, 08:41 AM
Over at one of the NIN FB groups, Sharlotte Gibson had nothing but nice things to say about Trent, which makes me happy. I think he really respected the girls and it showed.

if only some of the fans had done the same.

i find it really disconcerting how negative and just...mean a lot of people were about/toward the backup singers. you don't like it? well, sorry, don't see NIN while they're touring with backup singers. people get so righteously indignant about things over which they have NO control.

WorzelG
10-22-2014, 08:52 AM
if only some of the fans had done the same.

i find it really disconcerting how negative and just...mean a lot of people were about/toward the backup singers. you don't like it? well, sorry, don't see NIN while they're touring with backup singers. people get so righteously indignant about things over which they have NO control.
The worst I saw was on a While I'm Still Here / Black Noise video on youtube where someone said 'those black ladies need to know their place, they are not the lead singer' it just came across as not only completely racist, but obviously trent can't do the singing the ladies did in Black Noise - do they think they were just allowed to take over the song with no input from Trent???? ridiculous

BenAkenobi
10-22-2014, 09:44 AM
...the singing the ladies did in Black Noise...

b-b-but Black Noise is an instrumental, isn't it?

WorzelG
10-22-2014, 10:51 AM
b-b-but Black Noise is an instrumental, isn't it?
Okay wailing if you want to get pedantic over it. I loved it anyway and looked up a load of YouTube performances of it, it seemed to evolve throughout the tour. I'd love if the bluray had some rehearsal footage showing the process behind coming up with the Black Noise arrangement

sick among the pure
10-22-2014, 11:29 AM
I chatted with both of them via FB messenger after the tour, and they were both so happy to have been a part of everything. Had nothing but nice things to say about the whole band. Trent even envied them out to watch the Australia shows, and I think to one of the last shows with Sound Garden as well. I made sure they knew not to take the words of the obnoxiously loud minority to heart, some fans are going to bitch about them (hell, fans have bitched about litterally every member of NIN live) but the fans really enjoyed their addition to Tension.

Vertigo
10-22-2014, 12:41 PM
I was bummed out when they, Josh and Pino didn't make the trip over to Europe. Those US shows looked amazing.

allegro
10-22-2014, 03:55 PM
From NIN Spotting (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2863-NIN-Spotting-2014?p=221976#post221976):

I know an industry person who *might* be going, if they do I'll be sure to ask them nicely to bring a dictaphone
Wow, I'd pay to see that. :p
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b1/Dictaphone_cylinder_machine.jpg

Omega
10-22-2014, 04:41 PM
Huh? I thought that was cool. Dave Ogilvie mixed the original, you know.

That mash up of Call me Maybe and HLAH? Don't care who made that, HLAH+disco doesn't mesh well to me.

sheepdean
10-22-2014, 04:43 PM
That mash up of Call me Maybe and HLAH? Don't care who made that, HLAH+disco doesn't mesh well with me, it just sounds silly, imo.
That entire album is disco awesome

elevenism
10-22-2014, 04:48 PM
i'm ready for a new nin record. or at least the Tension dvd. or the fragile reissue. or a remix album for HM...although i guess there wasn't one for with teeth.
sigh.

sweeterthan
10-22-2014, 05:45 PM
i'm ready for a new nin record. or at least the Tension dvd. or the fragile reissue. or a remix album for HM...although i guess there wasn't one for with teeth.
sigh.

I'm ready too. Moar nin now.

pwing47
10-22-2014, 06:58 PM
I'm very patient, but I'm excited for the Tension DVD/Bluray so I can blast In Two in (hopefully) HD surround. If this thing is even in the same ballpark as BYIT, it will be amazing :D

Plus, I hope they use at least some footage from NIN|SG. Mainly because I was at Houston, so I can finally say I was at a taped NIN show!

xfocalinx
10-22-2014, 08:45 PM
Y'know, I'm actually really interested in the Greatest Hits album, simply because I buy Cds for the artwork, and i'm really curious to see what it'll look like

sheepdean
10-22-2014, 09:15 PM
Y'know, I'm actually really interested in the Greatest Hits album, simply because I buy Cds for the artwork, and i'm really curious to see what it'll look like
I wouldn't be shocked if it was just The Definitive NIN's art plus a little more

Ryan
10-22-2014, 09:32 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if it was just The Definitive NIN's art plus a little more

If that happens I will do what happens at the 1:32 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTOPEonJpXo&amp;fmt=22

xfocalinx
10-22-2014, 09:59 PM

I'd be totally okay with them releasing definitive NIN physical copies

Frolick Shiawase
10-22-2014, 11:51 PM
as a novice musician, I find it really hard to compose original music without pulling off a Warm Place... I really don't know if I should embrace my plagiarizing self and make a series of covers before I compose original music, or if I should completely avoid NIN sounds...

Yet again, Reptile's guitar beckons...

sheepdean
10-23-2014, 12:11 AM
as a novice musician, I find it really hard to compose original music without pulling off a Warm Place... I really don't know if I should embrace my plagiarizing self and make a series of covers before I compose original music, or if I should completely avoid NIN sounds...

Yet again, Reptile's guitar beckons...
Even Trent couldn't write A Warm Place without plagiarising, so you're doing well to be honest

WorzelG
10-23-2014, 01:11 AM
It will have to have new songs for me to buy it though, I'm not a completist or collector and don't really care about halos. It would be like buying a cd of some of my least favourite songs off every album. Even when it's something I love like closer, I still prefer ruiner or reptile off that album

howdidislipinto
10-23-2014, 01:47 AM

Though both these things I guess would be inspired by Pink Floyd's Echoes (the collection, not the song), I always wondered if NIN would combine artwork eras/themes from the past in a greatest hits release, AND if Trent would connect the songs somehow to make them flow together.

I'm sure he has no intention of putting that much effort into a greatest hits release, but still, I think that would actually make it a pretty cool listen for us NIN-nerds. Though of course it'd also be fun if it just keeps getting put off the way it has been and NIN gets to be the one long-running band who's never caved and released a greatest hits.

sheepdean
10-23-2014, 01:58 AM
There is not, and probably never will be, a greater GH than Echoes, that to was exactly what one should be. But if TR was willing to do it (and make every collector have a seizure when we realise there's now another version of every single major nin song), it could be awesome.

botley
10-23-2014, 09:57 AM
That mash up of Call me Maybe and HLAH? Don't care who made that, HLAH+disco doesn't mesh well to me.
No, Ogilvie mixed "Call Me Maybe" (http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep12/articles/it-0912.htm). That kick drum is straight out of his industrial rock toolkit. Quoth Dave: "I was trying to get the same feel in 'Call Me Maybe' as in a Nine Inch Nails song, making sure it had a pop sensibility, but with people not even noticing how aggressive the kick drum is."

nooneimportant
10-24-2014, 11:24 PM
No, Ogilvie mixed "Call Me Maybe" (http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep12/articles/it-0912.htm). That kick drum is straight out of his industrial rock toolkit. Quoth Dave: "I was trying to get the same feel in 'Call Me Maybe' as in a Nine Inch Nails song, making sure it had a pop sensibility, but with people not even noticing how aggressive the kick drum is."

I had no idea of this. I've ignored the song pretty much until now and Ogilvie is totally right on that chorus, it's no wonder that shit got so popular.

nooneimportant
10-25-2014, 07:52 AM
"I am the voice inside your--*shrug*"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFc12qQFOvU

sick among the pure
10-25-2014, 09:18 AM
"I am the voice inside your--*shrug*"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFc12qQFOvU

That was one of my top 3 shows ever. Up there with my very first one, and night one of Chicago Wave Goodbye.

Scramasax
10-25-2014, 06:47 PM
I met James O'Barr at a comic convention today in Belfast and I asked him about the soundtrack to The Crow which he had a lot of influence over, as in, he hand-picked every track. He said that Nine Inch Nails were picked to cover Joy Division's 'Dead Souls' because they couldn't get the rights to the original song. However it took some arm twisting to get Trent to do the cover as Joy Division was scared ground for him. James said that Trent later said to him that that one song ended up making them more money than the sales of Pretty Hate Machine.

sheepdean
10-27-2014, 08:51 PM
http://www.kbcreativeadvisors.com/Who-We-Are/Talent/gary_talpas/gary_talpas.html

So, as Gary Talpas designs theme parks now, do you think he beats his machine

#sorrynotsorry

pwing47
10-27-2014, 10:58 PM
Ordered Ghosts I-IV last week from Discogs. Best seller ever, due to their cardboard art:
http://bit.ly/1rPI32B

elevenism
10-27-2014, 11:19 PM
There is not, and probably never will be, a greater GH than Echoes, that to was exactly what one should be. But if TR was willing to do it (and make every collector have a seizure when we realise there's now another version of every single major nin song), it could be awesome.
good god just thinking about how awesome that would be gets me fired up.

i would LOVE retroactive remixes

Joy Prevention Hotline
10-29-2014, 06:36 PM
I'm probably the 10 millionth person to notice, but the WIE? remix is like a Year Zero prototype. Would have been a great way to freak people out on LITS or NIN/SG.

howdidislipinto
10-29-2014, 06:50 PM
Just in time for Halloween, here is the very HTDA/NIN-influenced short film that I mentioned I was making a page or two back. The theme was Halloween/horror, but it was very open-ended other than that. Let me know what you guys think.

https://vimeo.com/110313798

Also, if you missed it, last semester I attempted to use NIN for comedy and made Lil Batman Finds His Way (http://vimeo.com/howdidislipinto/lilbatmanfindshisway).

(Apparently I can't resist putting NIN in every single thing I create for my filmmaking classes. D'oh.)

pinata89
10-31-2014, 02:05 PM
Does anyone else commence the beginning of "Eraser" every time they have a straw (or any other cylindrical liquid volume transfer device) in their mouth?

Reason I ask is because...well, nevermind. :confused:

nooneimportant
10-31-2014, 04:53 PM
The Becoming is the ultimate NIN Halloween song for me. The original version on TDS is extremely creepy and unsettling.

implanted_microchip
10-31-2014, 05:22 PM
The Becoming is the ultimate NIN Halloween song for me. The original version on TDS is extremely creepy and unsettling.

If you want to start talking about NIN songs that fit Halloween well, you can't just not mention Dead Souls! Plus the movie it's from, The Crow is a great Halloween watch.

The Becoming, Dead Souls, The Downward Spiral, The New Flesh, The Province of Fear, Demon Seed, the Broken movie, there's really a lot of things Trent's been involved in that fits pretty well. Lost Highway makes for a great watch too.

Come to think of it I'm a little surprised there's no NIN-related Halloween thread here.

elevenism
10-31-2014, 08:46 PM
Does anyone else commence the beginning of "Eraser" every time they have a straw (or any other cylindrical liquid volume transfer device) in their mouth?

Reason I ask is because...well, nevermind. :confused:

hahahaha goofball :)

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-01-2014, 12:45 AM
On the drive home tonight I decided that Alessandro's Sonno album is good Halloween music too.

And thanks to pinata89, I'm gonna have Eraser going through my head all night. :p

elevenism
11-01-2014, 09:43 AM
On the drive home tonight I decided that Alessandro's Sonno album is good Halloween music too.

And thanks to pinata89, I'm gonna have Eraser going through my head all night. :p

we listened to coil.
and i played eraser with a straw, thanks to pinata89

Edo
11-02-2014, 01:54 AM
Whatever Trent's so creatively involved in with Apple right now, we Europeans should be given a chance to try it. We've been neglected. :P

cashpiles (closed)
11-02-2014, 04:55 AM
started listening to Ghosts after 7 years... Not only does it hold up, but it's better than I felt it was all those years ago. Instrumentals are where Trent can really express himself, untainted by lyrics. And doing instrumentals seems to really free him creatively. I really hope we get Ghosts 5-8. More than any of his other material, Ghosts is a work of genius. I just hope he makes at least 1 massive opus of an instrumental that transforms and morphs with 100 layers of sound. Ghosts is so fun.

icecream
11-02-2014, 10:35 AM
What do you guys think the chances are the new NIN material might be for that greatest hits package?

sheepdean
11-02-2014, 10:45 AM
What do you guys think the chances are the new NIN material might be for that greatest hits package?
Well he was originally going to put Satellite and Everything on there before HM was a thing, so there's a clear void for there to be some new NIN on it

icecream
11-02-2014, 11:10 AM
Well he was originally going to put Satellite and Everything on there before HM was a thing, so there's a clear void for there to be some new NIN on it

Considering a new album likely means new recording contract and possible tour plans, I'm surprised new NIN is being recorded. I know it's way too early to guess, but, whatever.

implanted_microchip
11-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Considering a new album likely means new recording contract and possible tour plans, I'm surprised new NIN is being recorded. I know it's way too early to guess, but, whatever.

I don't think it necessarily means any sort of contract if he doesn't want one; didn't he say that the deal with Columbia was he showed up with HM finished, offered to let them distribute and promote it and that past that anything else would be optional/up to him? He could always just throw it out as another Null Co. release.

icecream
11-02-2014, 01:31 PM
I don't think it necessarily means any sort of contract if he doesn't want one; didn't he say that the deal with Columbia was he showed up with HM finished, offered to let them distribute and promote it and that past that anything else would be optional/up to him? He could always just throw it out as another Null Co. release.

Could, but I think he defended going back to a label because doing it independently was too much work. I would imagine going back to a label for distribution and promotion seems appealing at point, plus the major financial incentive to tour the album for a year.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Could, but I think he defended going back to a label because doing it independently was too much work. I would imagine going back to a label for distribution and promotion seems appealing at point, plus the major financial incentive to tour the album for a year.
He sounds like he's in no hurry to tour again, financial incentives or no. And working with a label on his own terms is not the same thing as signing with a label the old-fashioned way. If he's smart, the only obligation he has is that greatest hits album for Interscope. ("Oops, I just recorded a whole album again. Better luck next time?")

I wouldn't complain if he spent the next ten years in his studio recording NIN/HTDA/whatever albums and taking naps every day. That's how I'd do it. :p

implanted_microchip
11-02-2014, 03:08 PM
He sounds like he's in no hurry to tour again, financial incentives or no. And working with a label on his own terms is not the same thing as signing with a label the old-fashioned way. If he's smart, the only obligation he has is that greatest hits album for Interscope. ("Oops, I just recorded a whole album again. Better luck next time?"):p

I wouldn't complain if he spent the next ten years in his studio recording NIN/HTDA/whatever albums and taking naps every day. That's how I'd do it.

I still don't understand how the whole greatest hits thing has worked. He's contractually obligated to it, but there's no time limit on when it has to come out or something? How exactly do things like that function?

gorast
11-02-2014, 03:20 PM
It might be some sort of goodwill thing - Interscope could just shit out a GH album if they really wanted to. But, without new content on it, there's no selling point for it to make sense - NIN isn't Journey, after all, and merely scraping together a bunch of singles won't make you the kind of money that Interscope would want to see. Having new songs exclusive to it is where the real selling point comes from, and I'd imagine that they're waiting for Trent to come back to it and give them new material before they release anything. It certainly doesn't seem like he's contractually obligated to contribute to it, because they would never just let him take the two songs he made, build a record around them, and release it with some other label instead of them.

sheepdean
11-02-2014, 03:21 PM
I still don't understand how the whole greatest hits thing has worked. He's contractually obligated to it, but there's no time limit on when it has to come out or something? How exactly do things like that function?
I was wondering too, it's not like the GH is owed to Columbia so they can postpone it due to HM, and as pally as he is with Iovine, Iovine no longer runs Interscope. At this point, Interscope could just do their own surely

icecream
11-02-2014, 03:25 PM
He sounds like he's in no hurry to tour again, financial incentives or no.
It does seem that way, but the way he explained the 2013-14 tours was: album finished, contract with label signed, shows offered, world tours. If it is a new album he is working on, I expect it to play out the same way. If he really doesn't want to tour it, I will be really surprised. Unless it is a another collection of Ghosts or something similar. It feels like WG again. Just really don't want NIN/TR to do constant, "this might/will be the last tour" thing plenty of older acts do

m15a
11-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Just really don't want NIN/TR to do constant, "this might/will be the last tour" thing plenty of older acts do

I don't know if other acts do that due to hype reasons or just because they're unsure about the future (which can definitely be reasonable), but Trent definitely didn't build up hype with Tension or NIN/SG being maybe the last tour. He didn't even say anything until the tour was almost over and didn't really advertise it very well if that was the goal.

It's all speculation at this point, but if a new NIN album does come up fairly soon, I don't think there's much reason to be confident that NIN will tour when he has given pretty valid reasons for why he doesn't want to. Sure, Trent can change is mind, but it's not like it'd be surprising for him to do what he plans to do. (Shut up, Bill. :p) And it definitely wouldn't make sense for him to openly lie about it. I mean, it'd be better to just not say anything about it if he was thinking there was a good chance he might tour, like, 2015/2016. If he does do a world tour that soon, I know part of me will be thinking of it as the "Absent Father Tour". ;)

nooneimportant
11-02-2014, 08:29 PM
I totally forgot about Capital G. Really underrated track. It makes for excellent crowd participation when played live.

Also there's no doubt in my mind that NIN will return to doing a live show or two over the next year or two. I think Trent loves doing that shit too much to stop it completely, hence why he came back last year. Watching him during Copy of A at the show I saw in August, you could clearly tell he loved every second of that especially when the lights dropped and the crowd applauded it. It's probably a great feeling to put on an amazing stage show and get that reaction night in and night out.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-02-2014, 10:20 PM
It's all speculation at this point, but if a new NIN album does come up fairly soon, I don't think there's much reason to be confident that NIN will tour when he has given pretty valid reasons for why he doesn't want to.
Just think about it: after releasing three albums (plus an EP of tambourine instrumentals), NIN goes out on tour in 2019 and leaves us all moaning about the 17 new songs they haven't played live. It'll be glorious.

Lastentrance
11-03-2014, 08:23 AM
Tension's taking a while. Maybe there will be a Still 2...

screwdriver
11-03-2014, 09:20 PM
<that moment when you're listening to The Great Below and the harmony changes and TR sings "the ocean pulls me close / and whispers in my ear" and the hairs on the back of your neck stand up EVERY FUCKING TIME>

implanted_microchip
11-03-2014, 09:26 PM
<that moment when you're listening to The Great Below and the harmony changes and TR sings "the ocean pulls me close / and whispers in my ear" and the hairs on the back of your neck stand up EVERY FUCKING TIME>

God, that crackle in his voice when he hits the "And I descend from grace, In arms of undertow . . .," is one of my favorite moments in NIN.

Tumnayar
11-03-2014, 11:51 PM
Would love to see that song live again, been too long!!!

WorzelG
11-04-2014, 10:14 AM
I was watching the Eyes without a Face cover somebody posted the other day, and in the comments somebody said they used to do Def Leppard covers too, and now I just have this 'urge' to hear Trent do Pour Some Sugar on Me (although I think Hysteria was released too late for this). Dammit, where is more The Urge footage? There must be more of it as that video seemed so well filmed

SarahConnor
11-04-2014, 10:46 AM
http://www.stereogum.com/1714361/marilyn-manson-third-day-of-a-seven-day-binge/mp3s/ Manson ripping off the NIN logo pretty blatantly... and now that its mentioned, two superior songs: 'Come See About Me,' as performed by Afghan Whigs and a bit of PJ Harvey's 'Working for the Man.' This track inspires me to put those two tracks on a mixtape, however, so its all good.

Bachy
11-06-2014, 02:19 PM
Since February 2008, when I first discovered NIN, I don't think I've gone a day without listening to at least one NIN track.

That's normal, right?

nooneimportant
11-06-2014, 05:12 PM
Since February 2008, when I first discovered NIN, I don't think I've gone a day without listening to at least one NIN track.

That's normal, right?

Man, our timeline of finding out about NIN matches up, plus we do the same thing... NIN every day or bust, unless I have a fever or something.... then I put on Still. Infact, I did that last week when I had a series of Headaches, I just put heavier emphasis on Still or Ghosts because I couldn't deal with something like Wish.

Khrz
11-06-2014, 05:16 PM

That's normal, right?

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/lClU23frzD8/hqdefault.jpg

screwdriver
11-07-2014, 09:18 AM

That's normal, right?

try since 1999...

that said, since about 2009 my nin-consumption has decreased dramatically. but for about 10 years that was pretty much the case...

Vrolok1
11-07-2014, 09:59 AM

That's normal, right?

Im doing it since 1998, at least one song at day. =)

howdidislipinto
11-07-2014, 04:39 PM
It does seem that way, but the way he explained the 2013-14 tours was: album finished, contract with label signed, shows offered, world tours. If it is a new album he is working on, I expect it to play out the same way. If he really doesn't want to tour it, I will be really surprised. Unless it is a another collection of Ghosts or something similar. It feels like WG again. Just really don't want NIN/TR to do constant, "this might/will be the last tour" thing plenty of older acts do

In one of the many recent interviews, didn't he mention he wants to try and release a steady output of material instead of falling into the "release every two years" cycle? So it sounds like he's willingly trying to break the "studio/album release/tour" pattern, though of course, if he actually can remains to be seen.

I'd love a few years of solid musical output without shows in between. My bank account balance would love it too.

Krazy
11-07-2014, 07:19 PM
I want more tours*. :( Fuck my bank account.

*not right now or anything, but in the "near future" would be cool

Bachy
11-08-2014, 08:32 AM
Excluding concerts, I've only met two other Nine Inch Nails fans.

sick among the pure
11-08-2014, 05:48 PM

Excluding just physically at concerts, or excluding people you met originally like on ETS and shit too?

Krazy
11-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Wow- pretty bizarre realization just now.

We're driving up to Madison to see Slipknot/Korn tonight (DON'T JUDGE!!! Never saw them before and the GF is taking her son for his B day with a friend). It's 20 years to the date from my first NIN show at the same venue, haven't been to this shit hole since and doubt there's been much renovation since the Kohl Center was built here. Maybe I'll have some awesome flashbacks!!!...

http://www.ninlive.com/shows/1994/19941108.html

Also just realized I'm old. :/

Bachy
11-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Excluding just physically at concerts, or excluding people you met originally like on ETS and shit too?

Just in general. One classmate I had in college and one coworker.

All other fans I've come across have been at the eight shows I've attended solo.

Ryan
11-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Wow- pretty bizarre realization just now.

We're driving up to Madison to see Slipknot/Korn tonight (DON'T JUDGE!!! Never saw them before and the GF is taking her son for his B day with a friend). It's 20 years to the date from my first NIN show at the same venue, haven't been to this shit hole since and doubt there's been much renovation since the Kohl Center was built here. Maybe I'll have some awesome flashbacks!!!...

http://www.ninlive.com/shows/1994/19941108.html

Also just realized I'm old. :/

That was one sexy set list.

m15a
11-08-2014, 09:42 PM
That was one sexy set list.
Eh. Too few The Fragile tracks.

Krazy
11-08-2014, 10:02 PM
Eh. Too few The Fragile tracks.

Yeah, but THTF was not played!!!

got mixed feelings about this Korn/SK show right now, lol.

pwing47
11-09-2014, 12:21 AM

Haha, was thinking about going to that show just cuz I kinda want to check Korn off the list at some point (have only been a casual fan, I'd say, but still wouldn't mind seeing them live when it's literally 10 mins away). Couldn't find anyone to go with and didn't want to wait in line solo, plus I don't consider myself a big enough Slipknot fan to justify it, so I nixed the idea.

How was the show? Prob would've gone if I had known an ETSer was there to hang with.

Krazy
11-09-2014, 01:04 AM
How was the show? Prob would've gone if I had known an ETSer was there to hang with.

Was actually pretty good- I'll give credit where credit is due, from a crowd stand point it was one of the most energetic shows I've ever been to.

Not a huge fan of either band but lean more towards Slipknot. I liked Korn better tonight though, SK came across way "cheesier" than I thought they would (the 2 percussionists on a rotating spring, pyro). Ugh, and I swear to fuck I'm gonna have nightmares of Cory Taylor screaming "Madison"- I swear the fucker said it minimum 200 times. Both bands sounded great- vocals, mix, not too loud, bass response, etc. Smallish arenas are some of the best venues to go to but was surprised at the above-average sound quality.

Halo Infinity
11-10-2014, 01:13 AM
This was always one of my favorite highlights from Closure. I also enjoyed how a song like I Do Not Want This was also juxtaposed to Trent's playful and flippant side, and seeing him make that shot against the exit sign. Aside from the destruction of that room, I also liked how it kept reminding me of Mr Self Destruct, since it also has the words "I am an exit." in it. In that case, he was certainly an exit for the exit sign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ7Td-TVHeY

gorast
11-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Anyone remember this fucking thing? http://music.joshmillard.com/2010/06/04/nine-inch-niles-the-seattleward-spiral/

NIN fans are weird.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-10-2014, 09:52 PM
That's two more than me. :)

Though I sometimes like to imagine that all sorts of people I know are secretly NIN fans.

Halo Infinity
11-12-2014, 08:01 AM
It seems like The Fragile, With Teeth and Hesitation Marks seem to help me cope with loneliness and feeling out of place the most so far. I also mean that as a whole from each of them though, as there are lots of songs from any of the other albums that help me cope with those feelings and confused thoughts too. This probably could be subject to change, but that's just how it is with me and those albums as of right now.

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-12-2014, 10:33 PM
How did I miss the implosion of the Tension DVD thread? Haven't seen a thread drown in bilious emanations like that in months. :p

Krazy
11-12-2014, 10:42 PM
How did I miss the implosion of the Tension DVD thread? Haven't seen a thread drown in bilious emanations like that in months. :p

Wasnt so much an implosion as it just became redundant- resident troll shows up and we reply to his same thread-shitting posts. (I'm as much to blame as anyone)

Joy Prevention Hotline
11-12-2014, 11:29 PM
More of a … great collapse?

I'll show myself out.

sheepdean
11-13-2014, 08:42 AM
I finally own TDS on vinyl (back to black reissue), very happy

Charmingly Miserable
11-13-2014, 09:15 PM
Random NIN narcissism: I wore one of my NIN shirts to last night's Run the Jewels concert. El-P gave it his stamp of approval on IG.

Pyract
11-14-2014, 02:09 PM
I made a small place for nin fonts. I know we have plenty of nin font pages out there but mine has a few that are hard to find. I know this isn't all that's out there, let me know if there's any I should add. P.S. I made this in about an hour, marvel at my extraordinary geocities-esque html skills.

http://nindestruct.com/fonts.html

Space Suicide
11-15-2014, 08:53 PM
The El-P remix of Only is my all time favorite NIN remix. Love that shit.

Charmingly Miserable
11-16-2014, 10:58 PM
the el-p remix of only is my all time favorite nin remix. Love that shit.
amen to that.

millionmilesaway
11-18-2014, 03:06 PM
at first I was like WTF what song is this! and then I realized its not NIN, but the sound is heavily influenced for sure.

http://vimeo.com/112014963

Composer is someone called Emmett Cooke, and he makes soundtracks too. Him and TR should get together and make soundtrack magic.

EndlessLoveless
11-18-2014, 04:04 PM
The El-P remix of Only is my all time favorite NIN remix. Love that shit.

It is really good. I recently put in things falling apart and forgot about how awesome it is. Take away most if not all of the starfuckers remixes (not my thing) and it is almost perfect. The first three tracks are amazing. Slipping away is like, THE, quintessential nine inch nails sound to me, from start to finish. The great collapse rules, that opening piano line being one of my favorite nin "riffs" ever. The wretched remix is fucking great.....if the starfuckers remixes were swapped with the keith hildebrandt mix of "the fragile" and the jerome dillion "la mer", it would be the best remix album. Almost more of a companion album. It was some good listening.

eversonpoe
11-18-2014, 04:22 PM
at first I was like WTF what song is this! and then I realized its not NIN, but the sound is heavily influenced for sure.

http://vimeo.com/112014963

Composer is someone called Emmett Cooke, and he makes soundtracks too. Him and TR should get together and make soundtrack magic.

honestly, that really doesn't sound much like NIN to me, more like newer gary numan, if anything.

the video, however, was INCREDIBLE.

The_Prowler
11-18-2014, 05:47 PM
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7487/15203527623_e8257e6c5f_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/pau45B)

"NIN" spelled backwards is "NIN"

Halo Infinity
11-18-2014, 06:25 PM
I've figured. :p

Anyway, as I sometimes still like to make random guesses for which year a new Nine Inch Nails album would come out, I'd probably still guess somewhere between 2016-2018 at this rate from the looks of it. I'd go for late 2016 or early 2018. Early or mid 2017 wouldn't be that bad either. I suppose I just still have fun with this from time to time, especially after being pleasantly surprised by Year Zero, Ghosts I-IV and The Slip, while also being there to have endured some of the wait in between The Fragile and With Teeth.

Pyract
11-19-2014, 01:42 AM
So earlier on this page, I shared my crappy little font page. Well, nostalgia got the best of me and I ended up resurrecting (and overhauling) my old geocities NIN page entirely. I tried to keep it simple and just include things that people might find useful. Feedback/suggestions welcome.

http://nindestruct.com/

Halo Infinity
11-19-2014, 08:14 AM
I think it looks great for what it is, as some of those Nine Inch Nails sites I've used to look up for fun back in the early 2000s have vanished. This is just me, but it probably would be nice to have a Facebook page and a Twitter account of your site as yet another way to have it spread around faster these days.

WorzelG
11-19-2014, 09:00 AM
So earlier on this page, I shared my crappy little font page. Well, nostalgia got the best of me and I ended up resurrecting (and overhauling) my old geocities NIN page entirely. I tried to keep it simple and just include things that people might find useful. Feedback/suggestions welcome.

I love that Bleedthrough artwork, I wish that concept had been kept

Pyract
11-19-2014, 09:01 AM
I think it looks great for what it is, as some of those Nine Inch Nails sites I've used to look up for fun back in the early 2000s have vanished. This is just me, but it probably would be nice to have a Facebook page and a Twitter account of your site as yet another way to have it spread around faster these days.
Thanks! I never thought of that, I just might!

eversonpoe
11-19-2014, 09:03 AM

oh my god i had totally forgotten the NIN RPG!!! i could barely get my computer to run it when i first found it.

Pyract
11-19-2014, 09:03 AM
I love that Bleedthrough artwork, I wish that concept had been kept

Same here!

Pyract
11-19-2014, 11:07 AM
As suggested, facebook and twitter pages are now live.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/nindestructcom/628027880640241 (https://www.facebook.com/pages/nindestructcom/628027880640241)

http://twitter.com/nindestruct (https://twitter.com/nindestruct)

hani
11-19-2014, 05:09 PM
why does Marilyn Manson use NIN symbol as his new logo?

http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/marilyn-manson-new-logo-2014.jpg

SarahConnor
11-19-2014, 07:08 PM
The logo is a form of trolling.

kel
11-19-2014, 09:20 PM
it's hella old news, but has his camp not gotten the goddamn memo?

it's fucking obnoxious.

m15a
11-19-2014, 09:46 PM
Dear Mr. Manson,

I'm not sure if you realize, but your new logo looks like some old NIN logo according to some NIN super fans who think about NIN all the time and associate (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2863-NIN-Spotting-2014) practically (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/139-Random-NIN-Thoughts) anything (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanMyopia) with NIN. Please cease using this logo and, just to be safe, stop using the letter "M" in lowercase or uppercase. (It's totally ripping off the more awesome letter "N".)

Sincerely,
NIN super fans

--

That memo? :p

Charmingly Miserable
11-19-2014, 10:48 PM
Did you guys get the NIN merch email? If not, this is what the email said:

Hey guys,

We thought we'd send you this email to show you all the cool leftover merch from the summer U.S. tour since we haven't delivered on the Tension dvd, the Fragile Reissue or the Gone Girl vinyl.

Seasons greetings,
NIN

sheepdean
11-19-2014, 11:02 PM
Gone Girl vinyl.
We knew super early on that that's not coming until 2015

Edo
11-19-2014, 11:03 PM
"Thank you for your interest in purchasing Nine Inch Nails products. We
are unable to ship your order into your country. You have been refunded
the full amount of your purchase.

Thank you for your support!"

But but why? I want those t-shirts so much :( And I live in the EU not the moon so dear nin.com, please shut up and take my money!

Any ideas on how to bypass this?

howdidislipinto
11-20-2014, 03:24 AM
Considering the style Trent has come into with the last few NIN albums, it occurred to me that if TDS came out tomorrow, the first portion of Mr. Self Destruct would be its own track. I wonder what it would be called?

...ok, I've taken this NIN obsession too far, I think.