PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

tricil
11-23-2015, 09:29 AM
after hearing Jerome Dillon's remix of The Fragile (aka The Fragile (Version)).

Keith Hillebrandt*

placepinion
11-23-2015, 11:25 AM
This silence from Trent is excruciating.

seasonsinthesky
11-23-2015, 05:03 PM
Technically it is a synth, but the sample comes from Trent's voice. I'm guessing Bowie actually sang the wordless singing on his track.

Anyway, I don't really think you can say that The Frail copies Subterraneans. You can certainly compare the two, as they're both very melancholy tracks with some similarities in terms of production, but I don't hear anything in The Frail that's directly lifted from Subterraneans.

What? The low piano at the end of TF is very, very clearly meant to recall "Subterraneans." They aren't the same notes and they swap where the semitone step is located in the sequence (S is F#/G#/A/B, TF is D/Eb/F/G), but the evocation is so incredibly clearly intended, especially following a tour where NIN helped Bowie play the song every single night. How did you miss that?

And the synth pad is absolutely sampling his voice. You can hear it even clearer in "Losing Hope."

tricil
11-23-2015, 05:05 PM
It's an obvious homage for sure

BRoswell
11-23-2015, 05:14 PM
What? The low piano at the end of TF is very, very clearly meant to recall "Subterraneans." They aren't the same notes and they swap where the semitone step is located in the sequence (S is F#/G#/A/B, TF is D/Eb/F/G), but the evocation is so incredibly clearly intended, especially following a tour where NIN helped Bowie play the song every single night. How did you miss that?

All I said was that there wasn't anything that was directly copied from it, which is what the original comment was about. I also mentioned some similarities in production, which would extend to the piano at the end. It might evoke a similar response to Subterreaneans and may have been influenced by it, but I don't hear anything that sounds like a direct ripoff.

joplinpicasso
11-24-2015, 09:35 AM
Well, I wasn't sure where else to put this:

I used to be a moderately frequent reader/poster here, from the WT era onward. I unfortunately haven't been around much lately since HM (save for the Gone Girl bizness). Recently, though, I formed a NIN cover band called Nine Inch Kales for a one-off performance at a venue in SI, NY. It was loads of fun, especially because I don't normally play music publicly (nor sing or scream). Our setlist:

Pinion/Wish
MOTP
Piggy
Eraser
Terrible Lie
TLBTB
Closer
HLAH

I'm quite proud of the sounds we pulled together with a bass, drums, two guitars, a basic Yamaha keyboard, and silly percussive items. I stuck to mostly early material because the crowd would only barely know those. Maybe I'll do a deep cuts/contemporary cover set at some point! But even if it never happens again, it was a blast, partly because I got to play with my brother who has become a NIN fan via association with me at this point; partly because I got to shout those age-related lyrics of Wish before turning 27 in a week; partly because I've been on a dry spell of NIN fandom and this recharged me, and I knew the one forum/online community that would understand.

WorzelG
11-24-2015, 10:14 AM
Well, I wasn't sure where else to put this:

I used to be a moderately frequent reader/poster here, from the WT era onward. I unfortunately haven't been around much lately since HM (save for the Gone Girl bizness). Recently, though, I formed a NIN cover band called Nine Inch Kales for a one-off performance at a venue in SI, NY. It was loads of fun, especially because I don't normally play music publicly (nor sing or scream). Our setlist:

Pinion/Wish
MOTP
Piggy
Eraser
Terrible Lie
TLBTB
Closer
HLAH

I'm quite proud of the sounds we pulled together with a bass, drums, two guitars, a basic Yamaha keyboard, and silly percussive items. I stuck to mostly early material because the crowd would only barely know those. Maybe I'll do a deep cuts/contemporary cover set at some point! But even if it never happens again, it was a blast, partly because I got to play with my brother who has become a NIN fan via association with me at this point; partly because I got to shout those age-related lyrics of Wish before turning 27 in a week; partly because I've been on a dry spell of NIN fandom and this recharged me, and I knew the one forum/online community that would understand.
Anyone film it?

joplinpicasso
11-24-2015, 01:29 PM
Anyone film it?Not sure. Here are 15 seconds of me losing my voice: https://instagram.com/p/-ZJFy7I1vV/

WorzelG
11-25-2015, 02:39 AM
^^^i would totally go and see your band if you played Cardiff!

wizfan
11-25-2015, 02:11 PM
Ivo Ivanov, the founder of Glitchmachines (who makes awesome glitch effect plug-ins, samples etc.) has built custom circuit bent hardware instruments for Trent and this makes me happy. :)

http://glitchmachines.com/community/

Dr Channard
11-25-2015, 09:41 PM
"wwwwWHYYyyyyall the change of heart?" is another example in "Copy of A", just the briefest little scream that immediately cuts back out into the whispered monotone.

Oh the weapons in Trent’s musical arsenal! If life were a videogame, I swear, his whispershout skill tree would be at master level.

shin2chi
11-27-2015, 09:28 AM
* MUST HAVE * http://store.nin.com/collections/accessories/products/the-downward-spiral-disc-slipmat

WorzelG
11-27-2015, 09:44 AM
* MUST HAVE * http://store.nin.com/collections/accessories/products/the-downward-spiral-disc-slipmat
I'm also tempted by the hoodie with space for mp3 player, £40 to the UK with shipping, hmm

RJK
11-27-2015, 09:51 AM
I'm also tempted by the hoodie with space for mp3 player, £40 to the UK with shipping, hmm

Try this one instead.
http://nin.firebrandstores.com/proddetail.php?prod=FB_NIN_0004&cat=4262

WorzelG
11-27-2015, 12:23 PM
Try this one instead.
http://nin.firebrandstores.com/proddetail.php?prod=FB_NIN_0004&cat=4262
Actually I've just ordered the hoodie for £40 from the US with economy shipping, which cost £45 through the European one, weird. I hope there are no hidden charges though like extra tax

sheepdean
11-29-2015, 04:09 PM
When the fuck is With Teeth getting a vinyl repress. It's a massive genre album of the 00s and hard to come by, it should already have its Hot Topic limited release or whatever. And it doesn't even have The Fragile's excuse of being stuck in deluxe edition hell

eversonpoe
12-01-2015, 10:53 AM
put this here because it's not a spotting but it's still pretty cool.

a local theatre company called Wildclaw (i have a few friends involved in it) is doing their annual Deathscribe (http://www.wildclawtheatre.com/deathscribe-2015/) radio horror play festival on monday. my best friend/vocalist in my Everson Poe (http://eversonpoe.bandcamp.com) project, Norine McGrath, is singing. Martin Atkins is one of the judges. she's so excited and nervous. i wish i could go!

implanted_microchip
12-03-2015, 12:24 PM
I'd kill for a vinyl release of Still

seasonsinthesky
12-03-2015, 04:07 PM
I'd kill for a vinyl release of Still

Almost 15 years overdue. They could at least do this while we wait for TF deluxe.

sheepdean
12-03-2015, 04:10 PM
Almost 15 years overdue. They could at least do this while we wait for TF deluxe.

I assume it's part of it

Wolfkiller
12-03-2015, 05:59 PM
When the fuck is With Teeth getting a vinyl repress. It's a massive genre album of the 00s and hard to come by, it should already have its Hot Topic limited release or whatever. And it doesn't even have The Fragile's excuse of being stuck in deluxe edition hell

He's still working on the essay or whatever to go with the vinyl.

Ryan
12-03-2015, 07:42 PM
I assume it's part of it

That'd be sweet. With additional reworkings as well of course.

placepinion
12-04-2015, 10:50 PM
No activity from Trent at all (on twitter, instagram or apple connect). Where has he gone?????

botley
12-05-2015, 12:02 AM
No activity from Trent at all (on twitter, instagram or apple connect). Where has he gone?????
The office? His kids' school?

BRoswell
12-05-2015, 12:21 AM

Probably taking that break that he promised himself he would take back in 2009. :p

Dr Channard
12-05-2015, 12:27 AM
I was in a rather twisted mood yesterday after work, and so I decided to watch The Broken Movie. Yeah…

A couple of questions for some of you longtime nin fans out there. When you first saw The Broken Movie back in the 90’s (or whenever) what were your initial thoughts about it? Also, what are your thoughts on it now 20+ years later?

wizfan
12-05-2015, 06:49 AM
I was in a rather twisted mood yesterday after work, and so I decided to watch The Broken Movie. Yeah…

A couple of questions for some of you longtime nin fans out there. When you first saw The Broken Movie back in the 90’s (or whenever) what were your initial thoughts about it? Also, what are your thoughts on it now 20+ years later?

I had first seen it as a shitty quality YouTube video and freaked out, even though I had read the synopsis from NINwiki. Then, I saw the DVD version and I said, "yeah, this actually ain't so bad", until I got to the Gave Up part. ...Yeah...

Dr Channard
12-05-2015, 07:25 AM
...until I got to the Gave Up part. ...Yeah...
The Gave Up part really does take the cake, doesn’t it. To this day it looks a little too real.

The Downward Spiral was gritty, dark, and sad, but the Broken movie was flat out franticly brutal and grisly. I wonder, at the time they conceived it if they were being loosely inspired by something like the Skinny Puppy - Worlock video? I wonder what Trent thinks about that period, looking back now.

sweeterthan
12-05-2015, 08:39 AM
My best friend bought me a bootleg vhs copy for my 17th birthday (1995) that a local record store had. We were so excited to watch it. We got to the end and were like "uh well, that was weird."

BRoswell
12-05-2015, 10:20 AM

I only got to see it after Trent leaked the DVD version. I found it to be disturbing, but not to the point where I wanted to look away, and I thought the video for Happiness In Slavery (which I had never seen before) was very well done.

wizfan
12-05-2015, 07:44 PM
It amazes me (and scares me) that Year Zero keeps being a prophetic album. It had predicted government surveillance of the public (drones), terrorist attacks (in the YZ timeline, terrorists had attacked the Oscars ceremony), and Parepin could be an allegory for today's addiction to "sedative" social media. And no, I'm no conspiracy theory nutjob. Heck, even Trent himself had said it (http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/aug/08/the-nine-lives-of-trent-reznor):

Today, Reznor sees an America slipped way beyond Year Zero. "It was meant to be a cautionary 'Watch what's going to happen'," he says, "but it's kind of past that now. Watching Bush embarrass America [back then], things were changing at such a pace that it felt like they weren't even trying to hide it any more. Any trust you might have of the government, or the illusion that big business isn't running everything and really everything's a scam to conduct the brilliant manipulation of lots of uneducated people in America … that was gone."

His initial optimism about Obama seems to have evaporated, too. "The day he was elected really felt like: 'I can't believe that just happened.' Jump ahead a few years and … I know one person can't change everything and it's the system that's broken, but the [Edward] Snowden shit that we're finding out about now, is this a surprise to anybody? But no one will do anything about it. We just had banks rip us off, bankrupt the country. Who went to jail for that? Who's accountable for that? Whatever changed about that? Nothing. [Year Zero] has come true. And nobody's doing anything about it, nobody cares. Some people speak up, but only when convenient. Complaining about it on social media isn't gonna change anything."

Dr Channard
12-05-2015, 09:33 PM
Was recently watching bits of the Tension video. Wow, Trent really nailed it on In Two. He really dug his voice into the performance on those shouts, and it sounds great. I hadn’t appreciated that in the past for some reason. His sustained groan during the outro felt a bit odd to me though.

placepinion
12-06-2015, 01:25 AM
Man, I wish Trent would break the silence soon. Hopefully at the end of the year or early 2016.

Ryan
12-06-2015, 02:26 AM
Man, I wish Trent would break the silence soon. Hopefully at the end of the year or early 2016.

I suspect a Merry Christmas post upcoming.

fillow
12-06-2015, 07:00 AM
"Here's a Hesitation Marks wallpaper pack we promised you! Merry Christmas!"

placepinion
12-06-2015, 01:14 PM
I can't get out of bed in the morning without playing NIN to jump start me. Which is why I hope new music is somewhere on the horizon. I'm building up a tolerance to HM already.

sheepdean
12-06-2015, 02:21 PM
I can't get out of bed in the morning without playing NIN to jump start me. Which is why I hope new music is somewhere on the horizon. I'm building up a tolerance to HM already.
Anything you don't have that could give you a boost? There's always rare tracks (http://www.nin.wiki/Category:Rare_NIN_Songs) and remixes (http://www.nin.wiki/remixes)

Or, do what I did when I first felt that way, and dive into everything Trent's produced/worked on, you'll find some pretty amazing stuff

placepinion
12-06-2015, 10:14 PM
Anything you don't have that could give you a boost? There's always rare tracks (http://www.nin.wiki/Category:Rare_NIN_Songs) and remixes (http://www.nin.wiki/remixes)

Or, do what I did when I first felt that way, and dive into everything Trent's produced/worked on, you'll find some pretty amazing stuff

I've been looping every CD except Broken. I've looped some of the unreleased stuff, too. Seems like I've covered just about everything. Those HM demos sound so badass they really have me craving something new.

sheepdean
12-07-2015, 04:22 AM
I've been looping every CD except Broken. I've looped some of the unreleased stuff, too. Seems like I've covered just about everything. Those HM demos sound so badass they really have me craving something new.
There's always something to miss, it can be worth checking out some of the deep cuts (like Illum Tangendo (https://sistersoleil1.bandcamp.com/track/illum-tangendo-produced-by-trent-reznor), the authorised vocal version of A Warm Place) or Liar, the Reptile demo which is better. Amd I'm assuming you have the easy ones, Purest Feeling, Ghosts 37&38 etc

billpulsipher
12-07-2015, 04:23 PM
here's a question for the ultimate diehards...Did TR record new vocals for this remix? I always assumed he had but would like confirmation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLKJzDixrvw

sheepdean
12-07-2015, 04:46 PM
here's a question for the ultimate diehards...Did TR record new vocals for this remix? I always assumed he had but would like confirmation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLKJzDixrvw
I think he used an alternative vocal take, as opposed to a new recording - but I'd agree it sounds like a different source

seasonsinthesky
12-07-2015, 05:42 PM
The Opal mix is dated November 1990 on the sleeve, so I would bet on a re-recording, but you never know. I didn't even know the HLAH maxi was split into "extended" and "edit" sides until the other day. :/

placepinion
12-07-2015, 05:51 PM
Anybody here randomly insert F-bombs in NIN lyrics where they're absent? I've recently caught myself doing that in the chorus of certain songs (especially HM): 'Fucking copy of a copy of a!' or 'I fucking came back haunted!' Yes, I just can't (fucking) help myself sometimes. The songs are that fucking good.

Wolfkiller
12-07-2015, 08:18 PM
I hope you read the guide on Proper Fuck Placement first.

This might belong in the confessions thread, but I always cringe at Reptile live when Trent does that "Please... Don't... Hurt.... Me" part. Hella cheesy, and that's coming from someone who loves and defends PHM from start to finish.

ryanmcfly
12-07-2015, 09:00 PM
Has anyone ordered the mystery grab bag from the store?

placepinion
12-07-2015, 09:15 PM

Ordered it but haven't received it yet.

m0reta
12-08-2015, 05:04 AM

Yes. (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/3652-NIN-Spotting-2015?p=279127#post279127)

I also picked up one and got the same items but yours may vary depending on your shirt size. :-D

Jesus I love that distressed tee. I now have four!

Halo Infinity
12-08-2015, 08:37 AM
Anybody here randomly insert F-bombs in NIN lyrics where they're absent? I've recently caught myself doing that in the chorus of certain songs (especially HM): 'Fucking copy of a copy of a!' or 'I fucking came back haunted!' Yes, I just can't (fucking) help myself sometimes. The songs are that fucking good.

I hope you read the guide on Proper Fuck Placement first.
Exactly, that's what also came across my mind as well.

http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/html/mp000405.htm

This might belong in the confessions thread, but I always cringe at Reptile live when Trent does that "Please... Don't... Hurt.... Me" part. Hella cheesy, and that's coming from someone who loves and defends PHM from start to finish.
It's kind of funny that you've mentioned that. I didn't even think about it all until somebody pointed out Chris Vrenna's reaction to that part of Reptile in the Woodstock 1994 performance around the 4:33-4:41 mark of this video on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ-w0TAE-mQ

eversonpoe
12-08-2015, 08:56 AM
It's kind of funny that you've mentioned that. I didn't even think about it all until somebody pointed out Chris Vrenna's reaction to that part of Reptile in the Woodstock 1994 performance around the 4:33-4:41 mark of this video on YouTube.

i think chris' reaction is actually 1) re-securing his in-ear-monitors and 2) rolling his eyes at trent hitting the "me" off-time.

fillow
12-08-2015, 10:06 AM
Re: f-bombs
I usually place them where Trent does at live shows.
"This world never gave me a chance. Mother fucker gonna have to pay"
"Your fucking world, that is"
...and so on.

Frozen Beach
12-08-2015, 11:45 AM
the performance of Reptile from the AATCHB dvd is the definitive performance I think. I like it better than the original studio recording. I don't really understand why it was made an easter egg and not included in the main lineup.

WorzelG
12-08-2015, 11:56 AM
Re: f-bombs
I usually place them where Trent does at live shows.
"This world never gave me a chance. Mother fucker gonna have to pay"
"Your fucking world, that is"
...and so on.
Don't forget the best one "..mother fucking pig"

seasonsinthesky
12-08-2015, 12:24 PM
the performance of Reptile from the AATCHB dvd is the definitive performance I think. I like it better than the original studio recording. I don't really understand why it was made an easter egg and not included in the main lineup.

Totally agreed. I don't even bother with the studio one when I want to listen to it.

As for why it's an easter egg: Considering how much TR loves that song (he wanted it to be a single, iirc?), I'm pretty sure the reason it was cut is because of the way they had to balance the picture quality vs. disc length, and wanting the split point to follow "Complication." Adding almost 7 minutes to the running time of disc 1 would have fucked the whole thing over, and presumably he wanted to retain the original setlist flow without it, so didn't insert it into the disc 2 sequencing.

BenAkenobi
12-08-2015, 02:05 PM
Yeah, the Reptile bonus video is something odd, in a good way odd, i mean. Gotta say, the song itself is just like that on the actual studio album. You know it's right there after Eraser, you sort of begin seeing Eraser as a marker, a roadsign saying "Reptile's near", and i'm sure most of you just skip Eraser to hear Reptile sooner.
It's the song that steals the show. People often described their NIN shows stating whether they've got to see Reptile or not. My guess is the song only got cut from main feature of DVD because the tour was in support for The Fragile, they simply had to give way for newer songs on DVD.

fillow
12-08-2015, 02:23 PM
If you check their setlists, you'll see it was always either Piggy after MOTP or Reptile, but never both, and Reptile was only played like 5 or 6 times (as opposed to Piggy's 30+ times) hence the track list choice for AATCHB

Halo Infinity
12-08-2015, 02:38 PM
i think chris' reaction is actually 1) re-securing his in-ear-monitors and 2) rolling his eyes at trent hitting the "me" off-time.
I've also considered that as well. Aside from that, I've actually still thought that it sounded cool nonetheless.

ryanmcfly
12-08-2015, 04:30 PM
Yes. (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/3652-NIN-Spotting-2015?p=279127#post279127)

I also picked up one and got the same items but yours may vary depending on your shirt size. :-D

Jesus I love that distressed tee. I now have four!

I got the distressed tee, phm tee, and a 2014 tour shirt. Plus the key chain and hesitation marks buttons. I'm fairly happy with my purchase.

implanted_microchip
12-08-2015, 04:39 PM
So, like, just be clear here -- we all agree La Mer's the most perfect think Trent's ever going to make, right?

Vertigo
12-08-2015, 06:00 PM
Probably my favourite instrumental on Fragile, but I wouldn't go any further than that. Everyone's tastes are a little different, the variation in this community is amazing.

placepinion
12-08-2015, 06:45 PM
Peel off our skin we're gonna burn what we were to the ground
Fuck in the fire and we'll spread all the ashes around
I wanna kill away the rest of what's left
And I do, yes I do

Those lyrics and the sound accompanying it is one of the most awesome things ever. I've looped this part ad nauseum. Gives me such a boner.

mfte
12-08-2015, 08:31 PM
I might have mentioned this although I might have dreamt it.

The Big Comedown should have been the first single from The Fragile. It's very much in your face and that metal rap style that was popular at the time. I feel that it might have been the best introduction to the album in terms of commercial appeal as well as fanboy(girl) frenzy.

jessamineny
12-08-2015, 08:48 PM
I miss teitan

implanted_microchip
12-08-2015, 09:29 PM
Peel off our skin we're gonna burn what we were to the ground
Fuck in the fire and we'll spread all the ashes around
I wanna kill away the rest of what's left
And I do, yes I do

Those lyrics and the sound accompanying it is one of the most awesome things ever. I've looped this part ad nauseum. Gives me such a boner.
Everything from that to the final shouting "I think I could have been someone" verse is one of the best bits of music in the NIN discography and one of my favorite vocal performances from Trent. I've talked a lot before about the raw sincerity of that album's vocals really meshing with the precision-based production NIN's known for and Sunspots is maybe the best example of it.

fillow
12-09-2015, 03:04 AM
Watching Ilan Rubin play drums so frustrating. I'm always trying to pick up some tricks or nuances from drummers to try and use them later at practice, but he's playing open-handed style, hence many things I see him do are not very useful to me.

Halo Infinity
12-09-2015, 08:23 AM
As of right now, I've just imagined a Nine Inch Nails remix/mash-up of "I think I could have been someone." in the left side, "I used to be somebody." in the right side and "Now I'm nothing!" in the center/front/back.

I also still like the "What's a NIN?" question being used in this section's description, as I've had that question asked to me several times in real life. It's also asked as "What's NIN?" or "What does NIN mean/stand for?".

sick among the pure
12-09-2015, 11:12 AM
"What does NIN mean/stand for?".

Trent has told us that Nine Inch Nails doesn't actually mean/stand for anything. It passed the "does this still sound ok after X weeks" test, and he liked the abbreviation/graphic of the NIN logo.
There were theories of them being the nails Jesus was crucified with or coffin nails or what have you, and none of that is true.

placepinion
12-09-2015, 03:05 PM
Trent has told us that Nine Inch Nails doesn't actually mean/stand for anything. It passed the "does this still sound ok after X weeks" test, and he liked the abbreviation/graphic of the NIN logo.
There were theories of them being the nails Jesus was crucified with or coffin nails or what have you, and none of that is true.

It's no theory that the actual nails used on Jesus fell between seven and nine inches. Seems like too much of a coincidence.

http://www.allaboutjesuschrist.org/jesus-nails-faq.htm

joplinpicasso
12-09-2015, 04:01 PM
So, like, just be clear here -- we all agree La Mer's the most perfect think Trent's ever going to make, right?
Most certainly, yes. I have a La Mer-inspired tattoo to prove that to myself constantly.

Also, ^^^^ wasn't it related to Jourgensen describing Ministry as having a nine inch nails hammered into your head like a hole? Or is this hearsay?

placepinion
12-10-2015, 02:06 AM
No word from NIN, but some exciting stuff happening in the industrial scene. Nivek Ogre of Skinny Puppy, who also released his last album in 2013, is teasing a new project as well as an album, among which is a collaboration with, none other than the female Trent Reznor herself, Grimes.

http://www.heyreverb.com/blog/2015/11/16/skinny-puppy-fears-for-mankind-teases-secret-project/110243/

Exciting stuff. Now only if Trent could tease us something...

Halo Infinity
12-10-2015, 02:14 PM
Ghosts I-IV is still very comforting and relaxing in its own way whenever I'm in the mood or whenever the mood calls for it. It also certainly helps clear my mind.

eversonpoe
12-10-2015, 04:47 PM
Ghosts I-IV is still very comforting and relaxing in its own way whenever I'm in the mood or whenever the mood calls for it. It also certainly helps clear my mind.

by far my most often listened to work released under the NIN moniker.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-10-2015, 09:31 PM
Maybe it's just because I don't visit ETS (or really, the internet in general...) as much as I used to, but I feel like it's been really quiet in the NIN/Reznor camp lately.

And that makes me kinda excited.

Bookmark
12-11-2015, 10:34 AM
https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=NINE%20INCH%20NAILS

Quite interesting to compare the the relative quantity of google querys regarding Nine Inch Nails in the course of time. Especially comparing the release dates of the albums. In May 2005 during the release of with teeth there was the peak with 100. In Comparision the time during Hesitation Marks the interest was only about 18 to 20 whereas now its about 5.

Important notice:

Hover your mouse over the graph. The numbers that appear show total searches for a term relative to the total number of searches done on Google over time. A line trending downward means that a search term's relative popularity is decreasing. But that doesn’t necessarily mean the total number of searches for that term is decreasing. It just means its popularity is decreasing compared to other searches.

More information about methodology (https://support.google.com/trends/answer/4355164?hl=en&ref_topic=4365530)

Substance242
12-11-2015, 02:53 PM
Listening to The Fragile instrumental (thank you Trent), I imagine myself singing karaoke "Where is Everybody" at our company Christmas party - appropriate, right? :-) Dreams, that I have. OK, maybe not.

Edit: And I am ending my listening party with A Warm Place, almost 10 p.m. here and I am afraid of neighbour switching my electricity off... again. :-) So, for people around me here, A Warm Place and good night. :-)

SarahConnor
12-12-2015, 06:25 PM
The Gave Up part really does take the cake, doesn’t it. To this day it looks a little too real.

The Downward Spiral was gritty, dark, and sad, but the Broken movie was flat out franticly brutal and grisly. I wonder, at the time they conceived it if they were being loosely inspired by something like the Skinny Puppy - Worlock video? I wonder what Trent thinks about that period, looking back now.

he probably thinks of it in terms of explaining it to his sons

gorast
12-12-2015, 07:48 PM
It would really be great if, at the beginning of the year, Trent and whoever he's working with just dropped a random project with no notice again. NIN, HTDA, The Fragile deluxe, Tension video...just whatever, out of nowhere. Just to end this drought, even if it hasn't actually been all that long. (15 months, I think, since Gone Girl? Not really counting the cool instrumental stuff from Apple Music earlier this year).

I guess not counting the Apple Music stuff is being a little pedantic while trying to make my point, but it also wasn't, strictly speaking, new ​music. Hopefully we get something brand-new soon.

sick among the pure
12-12-2015, 08:03 PM
It would really be great if, at the beginning of the year, Trent and whoever he's working with just dropped a random project with no notice again. NIN, HTDA, The Fragile deluxe, Tension video...just whatever, out of nowhere. Just to end this drought, even if it hasn't actually been all that long. (15 months, I think, since Gone Girl? Not really counting the cool instrumental stuff from Apple Music earlier this year).

I guess not counting the Apple Music stuff is being a little pedantic while trying to make my point, but it also wasn't, strictly speaking, new ​music. Hopefully we get something brand-new soon.

As much as I would love suddenly bam music, I miss the days of slow teasing, here's a little bit of info, here's some photos, here's a piece of promo art, the website art looks different, here's a hidden clip of something, etc.

Dr Channard
12-12-2015, 08:21 PM
It would really be great if, at the beginning of the year, Trent and whoever he's working with just dropped a random project with no notice again. NIN, HTDA, The Fragile deluxe, Tension video...just whatever, out of nowhere.

C’mon Trent, our stockings are begging for a good stuffin! Do it!

botley
12-12-2015, 08:26 PM
As much as I would love suddenly bam music, I miss the days of slow teasing, here's a little bit of info, here's some photos, here's a piece of promo art, the website art looks different, here's a hidden clip of something, etc.
Good thing there are other bands that are still doing this... The Black Queen, for example — and now, after months and months of teasers, the album is finally up for pre-order on Bandcamp (https://theblackqueen.bandcamp.com). Lots of NIN connections, too.

Mutilated
12-13-2015, 04:02 AM
Even if he just tweeted "May 2016.", that would be something to aim for! :/

Rubeninphoenix
12-13-2015, 04:28 AM
Much like a million other fans, I would love it if the Tension/2014 tour bluray finally saw the light of day. This would be the perfect time to drop that one, just saying...

GibbonBlack
12-13-2015, 05:03 AM

He's just excited for his Birthday

implanted_microchip
12-13-2015, 03:25 PM

And on the final day's burning embers of a sunset across the west coast in May, a single pro-shot video of How Long? by HTDA that almost nobody asked for uploads onto Apple Music, and the silence returns once more.

Halo Infinity
12-17-2015, 05:02 PM
This is by far still one of the most comforting and inspirational Trent Reznor quotes I've ever read. I've seen it before, but sometimes I forget that life is sometimes simply just like that when it comes to learning, questioning, discovery, awe, confusion and wonder.

Trent Reznor: Um, I believe in, you know, some sort of a God.I don't really know what I believe in right now. It's been something that's been plaguing me for, I won't say plaguing me,but there's a desire for me to get myself this spiritually.I wanna start by learning more about some Eastern mentalities that I don't know that much about. I know what I don't believe in and just through, I think, the inevitable process of maturity and trying to keep and open mind, and trying to analyze why I feel a certain way, sorta, in things, make sense to me, like karma. Certain things don'tmake that much sense to me,like organized western religion.I understand why people need religion and don't think it's wrong for people that are into it at all, but it didn't work for me.I don't want to sit and pretend that it did because I'm afraid that I might get punished for not believing in some fairy tale. I have concepts I feel pretty strongly about, but I haven't done my disertation on it and created my own religion. Certain things make sense to me - I innately feel them versus being taught them. You know what I mean? I believe that there is a connection between everybody and nature in partiuclar and that rather than overly concern yourself,"Why are we here? What is our purpose? What are we supposed to do?" I don't think we're meant to know that, you know? Every philosopher in the history of time's come to the same conclusion. At the end of the day, I've proven that that's a bottle of beer, and that I'm going to die and , you know, that's it. (http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/manager/display_article.php?id=600)

As well as this more recent quote. I haven't even thought about it that way before, especially outside the context and confines of organized religion.

Trent Reznor: I do. I take comfort in thinking there’s some purpose and higher power of some sort. I’m not affiliated with any particular religion but that gives me some sense of comfort. I’ve had some dark days through the years and been through some shit that makes me think there is some reason here and it’s beyond just physics and biology. (http://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/interviews/came-back-vaunted-an-interview-with-nine-inch-nails-trent-reznor)

r_z
12-18-2015, 12:57 PM
you know, that concept of your post (random trent quotes) would make for a great thread, imo.

chloe
12-18-2015, 02:37 PM
you know, that concept of your post (random trent quotes) would make for a great thread, imo.

Yes, good thread topic! I really liked this one

'He has also explained that he was fascinated by the house due to his interest in "American folklore," but has stated that he does not "want to support serial-killer bullshit." (when asked about the Sharon Tate house)

sick among the pure
12-18-2015, 02:43 PM

Make it happen, so I can be a dick and come in and post my favorite Trent quote.

"soon."

sweeterthan
12-18-2015, 03:22 PM
Rejoice https://mobile.twitter.com/trent_reznor/status/677954305752625152

Harry Seaward
12-18-2015, 03:29 PM
Rejoice https://mobile.twitter.com/trent_reznor/status/677954305752625152

lol was he reading this thread?

SM Rollinger
12-24-2015, 01:07 PM
Ive always wanted this on a t-shirt...

http://www.nin.wiki/images/0/0f/Gaveup.JPG

implanted_microchip
12-27-2015, 07:33 PM
Improbable as it is, I'd love for HTDA to be the opening act for NIN. Do like the Bowie tour and have it phase off in the setlist into a NIN show with appropriate members leaving/joining, saving the boredom of time between bands. There were just so few HTDA shows and I'd love to see them. Been playing Welcome Oblivion again for the first time in a long time (I finally have a decent speaker setup for my turntable and am no longer a slave to headphones) and it's just such a sinister record, there's this seething undercurrent all throughout. The thought of The Loop Closes cutting off at that final chant and without a second passing the intro to Copy of a starting makes me want to toss money at ticketmaster right now.

placepinion
12-28-2015, 02:16 AM
I'll be wearing my NIN shirt for New Year's Eve. Because the only fucking reason I'm celebrating it is because it will be the year of NIN!

placepinion
12-28-2015, 04:02 AM
Improbable as it is, I'd love for HTDA to be the opening act for NIN. Do like the Bowie tour and have it phase off in the setlist into a NIN show with appropriate members leaving/joining, saving the boredom of time between bands. There were just so few HTDA shows and I'd love to see them. Been playing Welcome Oblivion again for the first time in a long time (I finally have a decent speaker setup for my turntable and am no longer a slave to headphones) and it's just such a sinister record, there's this seething undercurrent all throughout. The thought of The Loop Closes cutting off at that final chant and without a second passing the intro to Copy of a starting makes me want to toss money at ticketmaster right now.

A Bowie/NIN tour would be INSANE.

implanted_microchip
12-28-2015, 04:51 AM
A Bowie/NIN tour would be INSANE.

In case you don't know, it already happened, it was in 1995 and it was, indeed, insane.

I'd die if they toured again largely because I know it'd made Tool tickets look affordably easy to come by since it'd be Bowie's first touring in, what, 13 years?

placepinion
12-28-2015, 04:55 AM
In case you don't know, it already happened, it was in 1995 and it was, indeed, insane.

I'd die if they toured again largely because I know it'd made Tool tickets look affordably easy to come by since it'd be Bowie's first touring in, what, 13 years?

I'd kill a baby for a ticket. I know killing babies is probably illegal, but I wouldn't give a fuck!

implanted_microchip
12-29-2015, 12:04 PM
I'm dying for a performance of Home where that guitar at the start is done on kazoo by Alessandro

Really, just a kazoo-based tour. Kazoos in general. And, for the bigger sounding, heavier songs, Robin busts out a vuvuzela. If Josh Eustis can play the brick in this band and nobody breathe a single word, kazoos can become an integral part of the live sound.

Halo Infinity
12-31-2015, 03:37 PM
In that case, I'd actually love to hear how they'd go with Eraser and Pilgrimage.

This article by Meathead had also inevitably came to mind yet again, as well. :p

http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/html/mp991006.htm

placepinion
12-31-2015, 06:49 PM
I hope they play 'Closer' at the strip club tonight... Would be a great way to bring in the N(ew)IN year!

tony.parente
12-31-2015, 07:03 PM
I got the nin.com grab bag for Christmas and im
absolutely blown away by the variety and quality of these shirts. 10/10

Halo Infinity
01-04-2016, 02:37 AM
If I ever get married and assuming that my mind doesn't change by then, I probably might have Beside You In Time used as the slideshow song at the wedding reception.

I also suppose that Beside You In Time just seemed like the type of song that could fit into that type of slideshow/occasion.

Soma
01-04-2016, 10:06 PM
I know it's not *exactly* NIN related but I always nerd out whenever I see these old school heaters... I like to contemplate on the likelihood and influence of Trent and I having a mutual family background of industrial machinery

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/Nautical_Dusk/0103161916_zpszkotsp1a.jpg

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/Nautical_Dusk/12493569_10206767063753759_3167123126456704132_o_z pswpbwblyi.jpg

Halo Infinity
01-05-2016, 12:04 PM
I sometimes like to imagine what type of material (Minute extras.) could have gone into The Fragile if it was released as 2 enhanced CDs.

Copy_of_an_Echo
01-06-2016, 02:28 PM
Alright so it seems the "Dreams of NIN and Them" thread is pretty dead so I'm going to complete my last Trent Reznor dream on this one.

Trent Reznor Dream Number 3!!!

Okay so I find myself having an observatory dream in the third person, viewing an interview setting (studio/radio station in this case) through the eyes of a camera. As my camera eyes look around in the room, I see that I'm sort of in between the live room and control room. The walls and floor of the live room are mostly concrete with a window or two on the far side, and their is a medium sized cheap fold-able table in the center, with a good bunch of gear like drum machines, pedals, and synths set up on it. I particularly recall seeing a Yamaha RX8 actually haha... When I saw all this I simply knew that this was actually a How to Destroy Angels setup, and that we were just about to film a live performance of one of their songs.
As the camera pans away from the gear, I hear the host of the show start to speak with a British accent; something on the lines of: "Okay on this side we have the setup here.. Okay very good! And oh! That may or may not be Trent Reznor sitting comfortably in the corner of the room over there!"
And as he says that the camera pans across Reznor, who's comfortably laying or sitting down on a thick cloth reclining chair with an olive green jacket, his headphones on and his attention focused on his laptop. As the camera finds it's way into the control room, still looking towards the live room, the hosts's last phrase was actually Trent's cue to come in and start the interview. So just as the host is finishing his last phrase, Trent slightly interrupts him, gets up and out of his chair and looks towards the camera and host with a grin on his face, and a pair of Splinter Cell-like night vision goggles over his eyes.... lol And in a playful manner, he says this:

"Shows over Bigz. What the fuck."

lol and I wake up from that and I'm like, really? That's what my subconscious made Trent say in my dream? HAHa of course... the F word, but what kind of name is Bigz? lol. I've heard Biggy Smalls but... Also, the night vision goggles actually had some relevance because in my mind, it was part of the music video, relating to a particular songs militaristic theme.

Papagolash
01-06-2016, 10:09 PM
Watching Night of Nothing, think it's hilarious how Trent messed up the 2nd line into the show.

Halo Infinity
01-07-2016, 01:01 PM
I still sometimes enjoy staring at an overcast sky while listening to Nine Inch Nails. It's just one of those things that hasn't changed for me at all.

fillow
01-10-2016, 05:17 PM
Browsing old ETS brings back so much memories.
I've just stumbled upon this
http://media.cleveland.com/pdextra/photo/9482941-large.jpg

placepinion
01-10-2016, 06:06 PM
I'm OD'ing on Starfuckers in my car right now. Especially the opening with that repeating two-note WHUMP bass thingy and the lyrics where Trent sounds like Lucifer: my god's a shallow little bitch trying to make the scene

Fucking love it.

thatguymark
01-10-2016, 08:16 PM
I'm OD'ing on Starfuckers in my car right now. Especially the opening with that repeating two-note WHUMP bass thingy and the lyrics where Trent sounds like Lucifer: my god's a shallow little bitch trying to make the scene

Fucking love it.

That song is one that I never really connected with. I guess when the Fragile came out, it was kind of all over the place, and I liked it enough as a passing interest. Years later, when I really got into NIN as a whole, Starfuckers just stood out in the catalog, and on the album, in a way that bothered me. That was my impression until a couple of weeks ago, when I finally picked up Things Falling Apart. The different (version)s are all interesting in their own right, and reveal the value of that song that I just didn't see before. Or something.

Ryan
01-10-2016, 08:59 PM
That song is one that I never really connected with. I guess when the Fragile came out, it was kind of all over the place, and I liked it enough as a passing interest. Years later, when I really got into NIN as a whole, Starfuckers just stood out in the catalog, and on the album, in a way that bothered me. That was my impression until a couple of weeks ago, when I finally picked up Things Falling Apart. The different (version)s are all interesting in their own right, and reveal the value of that song that I just didn't see before. Or something.

Had you not heard TFA before? Or just not bought it before?

thatguymark
01-10-2016, 09:31 PM
I'd streamed it on youtube, but always in the background. I picked up the vinyl which gave me reason to really sit down and listen to it attentively for the first time. It's still relatively new to me, but it may be my favorite of the remix halo's.

placepinion
01-10-2016, 10:57 PM

I don't get how people can say a particular song feels out of place on a NIN album. To me the albums are crazy roller coaster rides with extreme highs and lows that snake around like a cobra on crack. Starfuckers, like Everything in HM, to me are tracks that are absurd but absolutely fit into the crazy narratives that the albums are as a whole. To me, it would be the same thing as saying, "That scene where the guy beats the kid's brains out with a baseball bat was so out of place!" Well, it's a dark movie, so what do you expect? It's going to take some extreme twisted turns. Expect it. That's NIN.

sheepdean
01-11-2016, 01:56 AM
I don't get how people can say a particular song feels out of place on a NIN album. To me the albums are crazy roller coaster rides with extreme highs and lows that snake around like a cobra on crack. Starfuckers, like Everything in HM, to me are tracks that are absurd but absolutely fit into the crazy narratives that the albums are as a whole. To me, it would be the same thing as saying, "That scene where the guy beats the kid's brains out with a baseball bat was so out of place!" Well, it's a dark movie, so what do you expect? It's going to take some extreme twisted turns. Expect it. That's NIN.
I'm pretty sure I can think of one track that is out of place on a nin album-length release
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY9b4PCmOhA

Although, Physical and Suck are meant to be out of place, aren't they? Like that's the whole point of being on their own disc/at the end, because they weren't meant for Broken

placepinion
01-11-2016, 02:02 AM
I'm pretty sure I can think of one track that is out of place on a nin album-length release
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY9b4PCmOhA

Although, Physical and Suck are meant to be out of place, aren't they? Like that's the whole point of being on their own disc/at the end, because they weren't meant for Broken

Exactly. Believe it or not, Trent knows exactly what he's doing.

sheepdean
01-11-2016, 02:04 AM
Exactly. Believe it or not, Trent knows exactly what he's doing.
Yes, and Trent meant to add them on to the end, as separate, because the Lolla promotional release fell through but he liked the covers and wanted to give them to the fans

Copy_of_an_Echo
01-11-2016, 02:17 AM
I was just dissecting NIN overdrive/distortion bass guitar sounds and aside from that I began to realize just how much Trent's insecurities about himself that he used to have show throughout his lyrics in more songs than I thought. I can very closely relate to his words from various sources.

Specifically, stuff that's related to destroying his past self:

Sunspots
my life has taken a turn
why in the name of god would i ever want to return
peel off our skin we're gonna burn what we were to the ground
fuck in the fire and we'll spread all the ashes around
i wanna kill away the rest of whats left and i do

With Teeth
wave goodbye to what you were

Various Methods of Escape
a place to bury everything i did
and burn it to the ground
i've gotta let go
i've gotta get stray/straight?
why'd you have to make it so hard
let me get away

Ice Age
sometimes i still believe who i pretend to be

I Would For You
see I keep lying to myself
don't know what else there is to do
if i could be somebody else
i think i would for you

sheepdean
01-11-2016, 12:35 PM
Can we track down the guy who had the proshot Bowie/NIN stuff and try again for the full release? Seems worth it more now.

placepinion
01-11-2016, 12:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7APmRkatEU

Will always be my favorite Bowie song.

RIP.

fillow
01-11-2016, 12:41 PM
Can we track down the guy who had the proshot Bowie/NIN stuff and try again for the full release? Seems worth it more now.
I thought the part we got was everything that was properly mixed/cut. Everything else probably exists in raw uncut form.

But I'm sure the vaults of archive Bowie material will open again in the years to come.

sheepdean
01-11-2016, 12:42 PM
I thought the part we got was everything that was properly mixed/cut. Everything else probably exists in raw uncut form.

But I'm sure the vaults of archive Bowie material will open again in the years to come.
Yeah that's what I meant, I have the vids we did get saved, backed up and saved again lol

sick among the pure
01-11-2016, 01:44 PM
So I was visiting with a NIN friend on Saturday and we were talking about Bowie, ended up watching through a bunch of stuff on Youtube while chatting, and we found this. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOFmlZnJuRI) It's... interesting. Like, a different kind of weird than we're used to in fan music videos.
I knew I wanted to share it on ETS, because more people need to know this exists, but I was busy yesterday.
Kinda bittersweet to share it now.

Copy_of_an_Echo
01-12-2016, 12:22 AM
I wonder what Trent would have said many years ago if someone had asked him simply "Hey man, what exactly don't you like about who you used to be? Whats's this thing you're trying to hide and destroy all the time?"

If I were asked that question a few years ago, I would be pretty damn embarrassed to admit what it was. I've heard of a lot of rock starts/musicians coming out and admitting that they wanted to "be that guy"; the best, the most messed up, the most hardcore, the most tough, the most bad ass/kool basically. With all the pressure of the masses and fans expectations I'm not surprised at all to hear that.

But at the end of the day it's like, lol man wait a second, isn't that desire just downright embarrassing to hold onto and keep secret? I mean this is the kind of anxiety I had when I was in elementary and highschool!

I'm not saying that's exact what Trent was particularly hiding, but I mean what else would he really need to hide other than not being as "amazing" as everyone thought he was? Doing unkind or bad things to people is pretty much the only other thing I can think of. Other than that, I would imagine that being awkward around woman or people in general would have been a major thing that he wanted to erase from his past. I mean, I remember those interviews where he messed up lines on MTV and stuff... That's hard on a musicians ego lol. Or maybe back in the day, some bad ass NIN fan girl with a dragon tattoo on her back was really into him, but at the time, he was struggling with social anxiety, so when he took her to his place one time she was like "Wtf this guy is so awkward... I thought Trent Reznor was a rockstar freak but he's like fumbling over his words and not making eye contact and... Wasn't he supposed to fuck me like an animal by now? Okay well now that I'm here, I'm going to make it really hard for him to get away hee hee!!"

And then later on Trent's like, "Oh!! I'm so imperfect and tainted.. I'VE GOTTA LET GO!!! I'VE GOTTA GET STRAY/STREIGHT. WHY'D YOU HAVE TO MAKE IT SO HARD?!? LET ME GET AWAY!!"

All jokes aside I fucking love that song and I love Trent Reznor. I'm not saying this actually did happen, but I'm just trying to imagine what he was struggling with and these things come to mind.

Could happen to someone.. Could've happened to my past self at least!

Copy_of_an_Echo
01-12-2016, 04:12 AM
Oh man I can't believe I had another Trent Reznor dream last night! It's so weird I've had like 4 in the past 4 months.

Okay so I'm like at this free NIN concert in some large city legion; you know, like those town halls where sometimes small local bands play at. In my mind I'm like, "hm, kind of weird NIN would do a free concert at a small venue like this..." The place practically looks like a highschool gym complete with stage lol. So I'm at this place and it's pretty much full of various NIN fans; some actually watching the show, and others casually talking among each other and I'm like what the hell is this? The music isn't that loud, it's all instrumental sort of Ghosts-like stuff, but not even as impressive, and Trent looks like he's just off to the side of the stage with his nose in a laptop; all laid back Aphex Twin style. At some point I work my way towards the front of the stage and I under my breath or maybe to a friend I say something on the lines of "Why's Trent doing such a small show like this?" And somehow Trent hears me and he says something to me like "You know not everyone feels the need to flaunt a stadium packed concert every time they do a show" or something like that. This whole time I'm quite surprised by how modest and casual this whole thing appears to be. Soon enough however, I find myself just being an observer and I'm looking to the crowd from the stage. Now things are starting to pick up and Trent's more in the center of the stage and his band mates and him pick up their guitars and prep for a song. BUT, as they do this, Trent gets caught up in some cables and something like his guitar strap is hooked with another guitarist right beside him. So now these two guys have their guitars in their hands, but their trying to unhook each other from the cables or whatever, and finally they get free and they're like "alright. one. two - " lol and here's the fuckin hilarious part. On three Trent attempts to strike an aggressive guitar riff to start the song, and just as he swings his arm down, the whole neck of his fucking guitar snaps right off from the guitar body and he virtually trips over himself lol. It was so anticlimactic I'm pretty sure I laughed in my dream and maybe woke myself up from it.

Halo Infinity
01-12-2016, 08:00 PM
I used to mishear the breakdown to Mr Self Destruct as "You made me do this to you." and noticed and like how "You let me do this to you." sounded a lot more menacing and aggressive. Oh, and while checking out the NIN Wiki, I was also reminded of "I am the need in you for more.", and it certainly makes me appreciate and relate to the song a whole lot more.

It's just one of those very simple, yet profound lyrics. The need for more can certainly make or break us and eat us from the inside out. And now that I somehow thought about this with the word eat in mind, I like how the first track on Hesitation Marks is named The Eater Of Dreams, which also lead me to think about With Teeth. This is still just a guess, and I'm not claiming anything, but it seemed like Trent had the those eating expressions in mind.

For some reason, I didn't really think about that, or at least as much before.

placepinion
01-13-2016, 12:30 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the next bit of news we receive this 2016 will include Trent's involvement with The Overlook Hotel.

BenAkenobi
01-13-2016, 02:32 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the next bit of news we receive...

I wouldn't be surprised if the day of any news break you're popping out with THERE, TOLD YOU GUYS!

placepinion
01-13-2016, 03:20 AM
i want new nin and i want it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

elevenism
01-13-2016, 04:56 AM
i wanna know if placepinion is friends with rabbit

On a SLIGHTLY more serious note,
in 07 or 08 or so, back when i was eleven11 , somebody came here and made a goofy ass thread titled "parade of fun" or something along those lines.
And when people tried to explain to him about how making threads works, he said more goofy shit. One thing i specifically remember him saying was "i don't understand. isn't this where all the NIN fans are supposed to go?"

And it turned out to be someone from the nin camp trolling us. I wanna say it was Robin. Do you guys remember that, and remember who it was? it was so goddamn funny.

I also remember asking a question about trent's "feud" with Chris Vrenna, and having Chris Vrenna answer my question.

I miss the days when those guys hung out here.

I also remember SOMEBODY (not gonna name names ;) ) getting in an argument with teitan about something nin related, not realizing who she was talking to.

I wonder if teitan is lurking as a guest here sometimes. I bet you he is. It'd be hard not to.

Vertigo
01-13-2016, 06:11 AM
I'd be very surprised if he is, seems like he's had enough of social media. But yeah, I wish he and other NIN contributors still interacted with the community in some way.

snaapz
01-13-2016, 08:21 AM
Can someone answer this for me? I figure 17 years is long enough for me to be guessing..

What does TR say after "I'd"

If I could fix myself I'd ????
But it's too late for me

Something like

If I could fix myself I'd break down?

fillow
01-13-2016, 08:24 AM
He says nothing, this line ends abrupt in the booklet lyrics as well.

implanted_microchip
01-13-2016, 08:32 AM
I always thought it was meant as a contraction of "I would." So just saying if he could, he'd fix himself, but he can't.

GibbonBlack
01-13-2016, 08:38 AM
I always fill it in with "die". Nonsense though. On Still I hear "I'd...I don't know"

seasonsinthesky
01-13-2016, 12:15 PM
It's an exhale, people. He gives up.

Halo Infinity
01-13-2016, 02:22 PM
For very obvious reasons, this part of Closure has been constantly replaying over and over in my mind as of late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lcHtTXd-rE

Copy_of_an_Echo
01-13-2016, 06:16 PM
I used to mishear the breakdown to Mr Self Destruct as "You made me do this to you." and noticed and like how "You let me do this to you." sounded a lot more menacing and aggressive. Oh, and while checking out the NIN Wiki, I was also reminded of "I am the need in your for more.", and it certainly makes me appreciate and relate to the song a whole lot more.

It's just one of those very simple, yet profound lyrics. The need for more can certainly make or break us and eat us from the inside out. And now that I somehow thought about this with the word eat in mind, I like how the first track on Hesitation Marks is named The Eater Of Dreams, which also lead me to think about With Teeth. This is still just a guess, and I'm not claiming anything, but it seemed like Trent had the those eating expressions in mind.

For some reason, I didn't really think about that, or at least as much before.

"I am the need in your for more"... Hm, it took me a couple moments to understand that phrase but I get it now. And regarding the word eat and With Teeth, that's an interesting association I haven't thought about.

Also, that's interesting how it's your thing to listen to NIN on overcast nights. I recently moved to an area in my city called Delta, which is kind of a commercial and industrial wasteland, but it's situated on a giant hill that remains high for a long ways, beside stretches of lower farmland. Powertowers stretch all over the place and for some reason being here at night while listening to the song Satellite feels almost "right"; like I've almost chose the right setting that could match this song if it were used in a music video or something.

tony.parente
01-13-2016, 06:40 PM
My wife dropped the bomb on me the other day that she thought the lyrics to terrible lie were "turn out the lights" instead.

Can I facepalm my own post?

sheepdean
01-13-2016, 06:44 PM
My wife dropped the bomb on me the other day that she thought the lyrics to terrible lie were "turn out the lights" instead.

Can this room really be as bright as it seems

GibbonBlack
01-13-2016, 08:04 PM

An old friend of mine told me that his ex always used to hear the lyrics of 'Don't Stand So Close To Me' as 'Ghost man so close to me' and it's always stuck in my head...I think 'turn out the lights' might too.

billpulsipher
01-13-2016, 08:07 PM
this is random. i once wrote a girl a poem using the entire lyrics to "and all that could have been"....she wasnt a NIN fan and had no clue they were song lyrics...it worked...i scored with her that night..thanks trent

tony.parente
01-13-2016, 08:34 PM
this is random. i once wrote a girl a poem using the entire lyrics to "and all that could have been"....she wasnt a NIN fan and had no clue they were song lyrics...it worked...i scored with her that night..thanks trent

Man you went full fedora and it paid off?!? Good on you man!

Krazy
01-13-2016, 08:38 PM

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii223/GoatKrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/3FED741B-7D02-4D31-B2EC-BD7AA14390DD.gif (http://s265.photobucket.com/user/GoatKrazy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/3FED741B-7D02-4D31-B2EC-BD7AA14390DD.gif.html)

placepinion
01-13-2016, 11:04 PM

You're the Carlos Mencia of lame poem writing.

placepinion
01-14-2016, 11:11 AM
even just a little teaser of new music will probably make my cock melt.

Wolfkiller
01-14-2016, 11:17 AM

Hey eff you pal I heard KILL THE LIGHTS! the first time I listened!

BenAkenobi
01-14-2016, 11:21 AM
I think you owe me your grey pig apology!

placepinion
01-14-2016, 11:24 AM

let me guess... and she probably thinks the lyrics to Closer were "take out the trash". i think she's trying to tell you something.

Halo Infinity
01-14-2016, 12:58 PM
"I am the need in your for more"... Hm, it took me a couple moments to understand that phrase but I get it now. And regarding the word eat and With Teeth, that's an interesting association I haven't thought about.
It is certainly nice to see that you also find that to be an interesting association. There are still chances that I have probably thought about it before, but that particular lyric definitely brought that thought to mind.

It also like how "I am the need in you for more." can also be tied in very nicely with "And you can have it all.", as if that part of Hurt was responding to that part of Mr Self Destruct. I didn't really read the essays about The Downward Spiral either, so please pardon my ignorance if it was already mentioned, but I also noticed that some songs can be the predators, while other songs can be the victims. I get that the main character is a victim, but I just mean as far as the songs seem to stack up right next to each other.

Mr Self Destruct - Predator
Piggy - Victim
Heresy - Predator
March Of The Pigs - Predator
Closer - Predator
Ruiner - Predator
The Becoming - Victim
I Do Not Want This - Victim
Big Man With A Gun - Predator
A Warm Place - Victim
Eraser - Predator to Victim
Reptile - Victim
The Downward Spiral - Victim
Hurt - Victim

This seems to also make me wonder about In Two yet again. Just like how there is a bad side and a good side, there is also a side that's the predator, and the side that's a victim.

Also, that's interesting how it's your thing to listen to NIN on overcast nights. I recently moved to an area in my city called Delta, which is kind of a commercial and industrial wasteland, but it's situated on a giant hill that remains high for a long ways, beside stretches of lower farmland. Powertowers stretch all over the place and for some reason being here at night while listening to the song Satellite feels almost "right"; like I've almost chose the right setting that could match this song if it were used in a music video or something.
This also includes overcast skies during any part of the day as well. I have definitely found that to be the case with songs like Something I Can Never Have, A Warm Place, The Day The World Went Away and Every Day Is Exactly The Same just to name a few specific songs from my experience.

eversonpoe
01-14-2016, 01:04 PM
let me guess... and she probably thinks the lyrics to Closer were "take out the trash". i think she's trying to tell you something.

...what part would that possibly be?

or are you just being sexist and even more ridiculous than usual?

Krazy
01-14-2016, 09:05 PM
For those who might've recently missed this, I THINK Josh Freese posted the lyrics of Strobe Light's "Clap Track Crack Slap" on IG the other day. Seems to go to the same beat and time signature as Satellite...

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii223/GoatKrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/7F869CF8-9DFB-4161-8426-D203946ECB63.png (http://s265.photobucket.com/user/GoatKrazy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/7F869CF8-9DFB-4161-8426-D203946ECB63.png.html)

Ryan
01-14-2016, 09:25 PM
hehehe cock

screwdriver
01-14-2016, 09:53 PM
remember Bowie's awesome write-up of NIN in the 100 Greatest Artists feature on Rolling Stone?

Following Brian Eno's example, Reznor (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/artists/nine-inch-nails) unpacked his synth and threw away the manual. In making The Downward Spiral, he encouraged the computer to misconstrue input, willed it to spew out bloated, misshapen shards of sound that pierced and lacerated the listener. As a companion piece to Baudelaire's "To the Reader" — the preface to his Flowers of Evil — and second to the Velvet Underground, there has never been better soul-lashing in rock.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-artists-of-all-time-19691231/nine-inch-nails-20110420#ixzz3xHWOmxvM

Halo Infinity
01-16-2016, 05:33 PM
I sometimes like to picture Echoing the Sound with the Closure font. The font would be silver or gray if the background was similar to the black on The Slip, and black or even dark blue if the background was similar to the gray on Further Down The Spiral. Aside from that, I've always liked Nine Inch Nails fonts. I'm also still sure that they've even influenced my handwriting a bit.

Copy_of_an_Echo
01-16-2016, 05:47 PM

LOL fuck yeah!!!

SchwarzerAbt
01-17-2016, 01:51 AM

When we're at misheard lyrics now: I sometimes imagine it's "I am just a copy of okapi, of okapi..." although I know it's not right.

Also: "CALM DOWN, JULIAN! (we are getting there faster)"

Lastentrance
01-17-2016, 06:53 AM
I sometimes like to picture Echoing the Sound with the Closure font. The font would be silver or gray if the background was similar to the black on The Slip, and black or even dark blue if the background was similar to the gray on Further Down The Spiral. Aside from that, I've always liked Nine Inch Nails fonts. I'm also still sure that they've even influenced my handwriting a bit.

Din Condensed? Best font ever!

Halo Infinity
01-17-2016, 01:11 PM
Also: "CALM DOWN, JULIAN! (we are getting there faster)"

http://goddamnjulienne.ytmnd.com/

Copy_of_an_Echo
01-18-2016, 05:44 AM
Okay guys, this just in; I had my first Atticus Ross dream! it's been like three or four Trent Reznor dreams so far so this was an interesting change.

So I'm dreaming that I'm in my buddy's (Ryan) car, and Ryan's telling me about how the other night, him and Atticus went to get McDonalds' drive thru. (By the way, some how as part of the dream I knew these guys hung out regularly just to chill and smoke and talk. My buddy Ryan is a young guy, in his early 20's, and had always loved junk food, pot and video games. Atticus followed quite a similar lifestyle in the dream.)
So They got their food and parked somewhere near by the restaurant and just chilled in the car for a bit, customizing their meals like pot heads do; you know, putting the fries in between the burgers, pouring gravy over top of certain parts, stacking the burgers, etc. And somewhere along these moments Atticus, somehow in the most joking and non-gay way, starts nibbling and kissing Ryan and making funny little nibbly sounds just for shits and giggles; like it was just one of those weird little "things" they would do just to be freaks. As Ryan continues the story to me, he mentions that at some point Atticus decided to do the old farmers snort to get some snaught out of his nose, and I recall Ryan saying something like "Yeah man, and when he did that, blood and puss sprayed all over the dashboard and Atticus had to leave to take care of his noise".

That's pretty much the end of the dream lol, minus maybe my thoughtful reaction in the car, just thinking imagining that event and pondering my dream scenery.

LOL what the fuck eh?

But you know what, after waking up from that dream, I had a re-kindled appreciation for low brow, simple moments like that. Moments that made up a lot of the weekends in my mid and late teen-hood. You know, being in some part of the semi-city location at night, chowing down on some McDonalds, shootn' the shit. Just from that dream, I also started to think about that animated film, A Scanner Darkly, which I've never seen but have heard of, and I carried with me into my night shift as a pizza delivery driver, the imagination that I was living in the perfect place to make into an animated film.... What? Idk but I just felt that way. Funny how a dream can spark appreciation for mundane or forgotten things.

Dimitri.
01-18-2016, 04:57 PM
I came across this amazing remix of Discipline on Spotify.
It really has a "Thing Falling Appart" vibe, and I find the ending really breathtaking :

https://soundcloud.com/mattlange/discipline-matt-lange-remix

fillow
01-19-2016, 03:03 AM
News coming any day now, I guess?

Ryan
01-19-2016, 03:06 AM
News coming any day now, I guess?

Yes, soon. Soon.

"As soon as I finish writing this crap right here."

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/FQ-HCfMMtThCYxFa4CZNsTpUW3wBpcDwt4kiOh-8aijnzEf7SG3_sU82Qzz-XH5DPl9hBs1FkjIYfo5AVE9_dXT9HRtVewmPqaue-yYge9Wk6gVhky0TjsVdtsnt0w_FyWmVKg=w470-h313-nc

Mutilated
01-19-2016, 04:33 AM
I'd say we'll get news/first single in late March/early April, album at the end of June.

Copy_of_an_Echo
01-19-2016, 05:32 AM
Yes, soon. Soon.

"As soon as I finishing writing this crap right here."

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/FQ-HCfMMtThCYxFa4CZNsTpUW3wBpcDwt4kiOh-8aijnzEf7SG3_sU82Qzz-XH5DPl9hBs1FkjIYfo5AVE9_dXT9HRtVewmPqaue-yYge9Wk6gVhky0TjsVdtsnt0w_FyWmVKg=w470-h313-nc

haha what was he doing? Was that just an autograph for someone's journal or something?

simonn
01-19-2016, 06:46 AM
I'd say we'll get news/first single in late March/early April, album at the end of June.

No, Cashpiles said third week for January. So expect news in three days at the most. Obviously if it doesn't turn up, either someone kicked the plug out, or Cashpiles credibility is forever called into question. I'm going with the latter. :p

jessamineny
01-19-2016, 06:45 PM
haha what was he doing? Was that just an autograph for someone's journal or something?

IIRC that was backstage at Grammy rehearsals. I believe he's autographing things that were later sold to benefit the Sweet Stuff Foundation.

kel
01-20-2016, 04:39 PM
i really think it sucks that no one outside of north america got to see lits live.

sheepdean
01-20-2016, 05:28 PM
i really think it sucks that no one outside of north america got to see lits live.
I really wish I could have seen it.

...but they did play South America too, for a whole two shows

opal
01-21-2016, 01:06 AM
Well, I wasn't there, so I don't know how it was. But from what I saw, it almost looked a bit too beefed up.

I especially loved what we got with the 2013 festivals, and then also with the 2014 indoor shows.

But dammit, that ITT ending ...

sick among the pure
01-21-2016, 10:51 AM
Well, I wasn't there, so I don't know how it was. But from what I saw, it almost looked a bit too beefed up.

I especially loved what we got with the 2013 festivals, and then also with the 2014 indoor shows.

But dammit, that ITT ending ...

ITT is the best ending. But I wish we had gotten some performance 07 love in the states.

Rubeninphoenix
01-21-2016, 12:17 PM
Thanks to Facebook, I got to look back and see how excited I was when they announced the Grammys Final Jam from 2 years ago (the infamous one with NIN, Queens, Lindsey Buckingham, and Grohl) and I still can't believe they cut to the credits and disrespected all the people involved in it like that. I would like to see the actual footage of the whole performance from the night and see how it finished. I did download the rehearsal video that leaked though.

Copy_of_an_Echo
01-22-2016, 01:16 AM
Okay so this is the fifth Trent Reznor dream I've had in the past two months...

Here it goes,

So I seem to be at this somewhat large and semi-free music festival that's been set up outside in the city at night. There are a few different stages around the area for different bands, playing random types of music, like Jazz and folk. I'm pretty sure I think to myself that it would be cool to see NIN here. I think not even to my surprise though, I walk towards the NIN set and like my previous dream, again it's like this very casual, up close and personal kind of performance. So I get there and pretty much everybody is sitting cross legged or just crouching/kneeling, and there's a good few hundred people or so. I find myself pretty much at the front of the stage a bit off to the side, sitting right beside a crouching Trent Reznor; the both of us spectators of the show at this point, observing the intro to All Time Low. As we all watch, the actual performance is mostly coming from Trent's guitarist and maybe Allesandro as well; guitar stomp boxes on the ground everywhere, analog synth boxes, and various other effects are being played with. And the funny thing is I see how Trent's guitarist setup a large ziplock bag that's connected to some kind of tube that runs to the input of an analog synth, and I think to myself "Oh!! SO that's how they got that ambient sound at the intro I knew it!" And from this belief, I was sure I was not dreaming.... lol what? Well that was dumb of me to not count my fingers to check haha.
So this extended intro keeps going and it's relatively quiet, and some younger kid, maybe in middle school comments to himself and to Trent something like "This is so gay" or "This is really boring man."
And Trent replies in a sarcastic and calm manner, "This is 90's stuff guys... Or I can just play you a DVR..." And what he meant by that was, well that was my dream mind skrewing up the word, but he meant perform the song with most of the sounds just "on tape" as they used to call it, or on CD; not actually done live but through playback. I too decided to comment on the performance to Trent, saying something on the lines of: "I actually have always admired this kind of, on the fly, all hardware experimentation. I always loved playing with various effect pedals and doing things old school style".
And with this, Trent replied in an interested and genuine manner something like: "Yeah, you know I find I'm able to get a lot more output this way. " He seemed to be struggling slightly with what he was trying to explain and I added in a slightly nervous, but very interested manner "Oh, what do you mean like, you get a lot more done, of which like, 80% of that stuff is very usable material you mean?"
And in a very agreeable tone, with his head ever so slightly nodding, and his eyebrows very straight as usual, he replies "Yeah, yeah.." Kind of pondering in his head at the same time.
At this point the show is sort of over, and everybody starts going there own way. Trent and I get up and I find myself casually walking along side him and a group of fans/strangers as we make our way towards an elevated hallway that connects to a building. Some random person in the groups sees something peculiar through a hallway window that I couldn't really see, and I look back as Trent turns his attention to the window with a little grin and says something in response like, "Oh I could use another house like that". Then I accidentally bump into a fan just in front of me. At this point I continue walking my own way and thinking to myself, "omg, I just talked to Trent Reznor!"

Then I wake up and I'm like, what a dumbass to believe that ziplock bag was the answer to All Time Low lol.

fillow
01-22-2016, 02:13 AM
Psst, Copy_of_an_Echo
http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2868-Dreams-with-Trent-NIN-in-them/page5

Copy_of_an_Echo
01-22-2016, 03:10 AM
Psst, @Copy_of_an_Echo (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4843)
http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2868-Dreams-with-Trent-NIN-in-them/page5

Ohh all right... That thread is dead : (.

Actually I just realize someone posted something new!

Copy_of_an_Echo
01-22-2016, 03:30 AM
I know it's not *exactly* NIN related but I always nerd out whenever I see these old school heaters... I like to contemplate on the likelihood and influence of Trent and I having a mutual family background of industrial machinery

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/Nautical_Dusk/0103161916_zpszkotsp1a.jpg

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/Nautical_Dusk/12493569_10206767063753759_3167123126456704132_o_z pswpbwblyi.jpg

Oh Haha I recently took a picture of a thermostat switch with that brand on it.

r_z
01-23-2016, 08:33 AM
This is an actual photo from Ceshire, Ohio:

http://www.zeit.de/wirtschaft/2016-01/reichtum-armut-fs-bilder/bitblt-580x326-b0d7dc83a08366b7cc2c49dae042b275cb9f0be4/06-reich-arm.jpg

http://hd.wallpaperswide.com/thumbs/year_zero_2-t2.jpg

fillow
01-23-2016, 04:47 PM
sometime next week we get the album news!
(http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2868-Dreams-with-Trent-NIN-in-them/page5)
http://coub.com/view/aivk6

Mutilated
01-23-2016, 05:06 PM
Yeah, we're not getting anything anytime soon. Except delivery of Cargo :)

Khrz
01-23-2016, 05:13 PM
Psst, @Copy_of_an_Echo (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4843)

No yeah he knows, somehow he figured the thread was too dead and that it needed to be part of a broader conversation.

As far as I'm concerned that thread is dead for good reason, but hey, that's just, like, my opinion, man...

xfocalinx
01-23-2016, 06:07 PM
No, Cashpiles said third week for January. So expect news in three days at the most. Obviously if it doesn't turn up, either someone kicked the plug out, or Cashpiles credibility is forever called into question. I'm going with the latter. :p

can you smarten me up to cashpiles? I see some people saying he's a credible source, others not. I don't know whats going on

sheepdean
01-23-2016, 06:15 PM
can you smarten me up to cashpiles? I see some people saying he's a credible source, others not. I don't know whats going on
He's not .

Ryan
01-23-2016, 07:30 PM
He's a half-troll. Possibly has autism or some sort of mental retardation IRL but not sure.

sick among the pure
01-23-2016, 09:03 PM
He's a half-troll.
Could have just ended it there, and met the 10-character limit just fine.

somewhat_
01-23-2016, 09:07 PM
He's been around since before With Teeth. If I remember correctly he was known for making crazy (With Teeth) album predictions, which, of course, did not come to fruition.

xfocalinx
01-23-2016, 09:15 PM
well that's kinda disappointing. I was hoping he was out Teitan.

implanted_microchip
01-28-2016, 03:10 PM
Still's like the definitive rainy weather album.

chloe
01-28-2016, 03:26 PM

I've found that the last half of The Slip, from LITS through Demon Seed fit pretty good for dark rainy Seattle days/nights.

sheepdean
01-28-2016, 06:05 PM
It helps that the opening of Gone Still's video is a cold night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkRYWZ_lhqE

Microwave Jellyfish
01-28-2016, 06:50 PM
http://www.rainymood.com/watch?v=az1ewpORFm0

Confirmed.

GibbonBlack
01-28-2016, 08:29 PM

Confirmed.

That's amazing!

Khrz
01-28-2016, 09:01 PM

Confirmed.

What's funny is that it sounds exactly like the beginning of the Natural Born Killers version of Something I can Never Have, thunder and all

Frolick Shiawase
01-29-2016, 04:18 AM
Wasn't there a reflecting in the chrome recording with a screaming girl so obnoxious that people actually grabbed another recording and dubbed it "No screaming girl version" or something?

I'm trying to find both versions so desperately to prove to myself I'm not insane... But so far, I haven't had any luck in the googles.

fillow
01-29-2016, 04:44 AM
Wasn't there a reflecting in the chrome recording with a screaming girl so obnoxious that people actually grabbed another recording and dubbed it "No screaming girl version" or something?

I'm trying to find both versions so desperately to prove to myself I'm not insane... But so far, I haven't had any luck in the googles.

Behold! http://ninlive.com/shows/2005/20050928.html
I remembered because I complained about the same show myself, having been listening to Screaming Girl version at first

fillow
01-29-2016, 01:37 PM
Does the music in this scene from the Suits ring any bell?
https://youtu.be/PpGLLrcg9rI?t=2073

(https://youtu.be/PpGLLrcg9rI?t=2073)There's also another familiar piece that starts at approx. 14:00 mark in the same episode, both tracks are repeated a lot throughout the series.

IndyJ
01-30-2016, 10:18 PM
A few since i forgot this thread existed.

The Way Out is Through, The Mark Has Been Made, and Just Like You Imagined would be a massive and intense live trifecta.

Also, the score for the movie "Reasonable Doubt" sounds uncomfortably close to TGWTDT Score.

I hope at some point in the future Trent does another album like Still, minus the stripped down versions. Although i do like those, i'd love an album (hell, i'll even settle for an EP) of songs like Leaving Hope, Adrift and at Peace, and Gone, Still. Ghosts had some songs like that like 1, 2 and 36, but not as classically structured i suppose.

Seed_0
01-30-2016, 10:50 PM
A few since i forgot this thread existed.

The Way Out is Through, The Mark Has Been Made, and Just Like You Imagined would be a massive and intense live trifecta.

Also, the score for the movie "Reasonable Doubt" sounds uncomfortably close to TGWTDT Score.

I hope at some point in the future Trent does another album like Still, minus the stripped down versions. Although i do like those, i'd love an album (hell, i'll even settle for an EP) of songs like Leaving Hope, Adrift and at Peace, and Gone, Still. Ghosts had some songs like that like 1, 2 and 36, but not as classically structured i suppose.

The Still tracks where really just remnants of the Fragile. Trent tends not to back track on his new albums unfortunately. Then again he is getting old, so instrumental pieces are more likely to occur. He has been working on a Fragile project for awhile, and released an instrumental version last summer. So, maybe that will have some influence on his new stuff.

Mutilated
02-03-2016, 07:14 AM
He's really gonna leave us hanging, isn't he? ;)

Just a breadcrumb, a spec of dust....something?!

sheepdean
02-03-2016, 08:37 AM
He's really gonna leave us hanging, isn't he? ;)

Just a breadcrumb, a spec of dust....something?!
Just a glimpse, just a little reminder?

Deepvoid
02-03-2016, 08:50 AM
If he's planning something for the last quarter of 2016, there really is no point if announcing something now.
I think we're gonna hear something late spring.

Seed_0
02-03-2016, 11:00 AM
I think he is just giving CITB some time to settle, then he is going to drop the new stuff on us. Perhaps by March we will have a single.

sheepdean
02-03-2016, 11:04 AM
I think he is just giving CITB some time to settle, then he is going to drop the new stuff on us. Perhaps by March we will have a single.
I was wondering if we were gonna get singles anymore. Like, there hasn't been a halo single since 2007, and the digital singles for HM were really just ways to get more artwork out.

Seed_0
02-03-2016, 01:18 PM
I was wondering if we were gonna get singles anymore. Like, there hasn't been a halo single since 2007, and the digital singles for HM were really just ways to get more artwork out.
Ya, I am not sure if it will be a halo marked single. It is hard to say because he was tired down with trying to run the Null Co and kind of last minute with HM he opt to sign with Columbia. So, he could easily go back to halo singles now. But, CD sales are in the toilet so he may keep the extra stuff such as singles as digital downloads. At the same time Columbia may want to produce the extra stuff now that he is there. So I can definitely see it going either way.

BenAkenobi
02-03-2016, 01:36 PM
kind of last minute with HM he opt to sign with Columbia...

Didn't Columbia release Welcome Oblivion and TGWTDT Score prior to H.M. too?

fillow
02-03-2016, 01:37 PM
I can't see one reason why couldn't Trent release live and remix Seeds as proper Halos (or put all the stuff from them together with demos from HM Deluxe on a single Halo).

Frolick Shiawase
02-03-2016, 02:00 PM
Behold! http://ninlive.com/shows/2005/20050928.html
I remembered because I complained about the same show myself, having been listening to Screaming Girl version at first

Oh my god THANKS man!
I thought I was losing it, honestly. Spent way too much time looking for it

BRoswell
02-03-2016, 02:49 PM
Was watching the Still music videos on the NIN Vimeo channel last night, and I realized something. The videos for Gone, Still and Something I Can Never Have use the live audio from the performances, but the video for The Becoming uses the audio from the album (you can tell if you watch Trent's piano playing). I have to wonder if the audio was unusable or if they just decided to mime to the recording instead of playing it live like the other videos.

Halo Infinity
02-03-2016, 03:15 PM
I haven't given Closure a proper viewing for quite some time. I still remember how often I'd watch it on Friday nights and Saturday nights, as the vibe it gave me felt perfect for relaxing in on a Friday night or Saturday night. That also still seems to be the case with me whenever the mood is just right too.

Deepvoid
02-03-2016, 03:16 PM
Was watching the Still music videos on the NIN Vimeo channel last night, and I realized something. The videos for Gone, Still and Something I Can Never Have use the live audio from the performances, but the video for The Becoming uses the audio from the album (you can tell if you watch Trent's piano playing). I have to wonder if the audio was unusable or if they just decided to mime to the recording instead of playing it live like the other videos.

I've always wondered if they filmed other songs from Still and simply buried the tapes.

sheepdean
02-03-2016, 04:14 PM
Ya, I am not sure if it will be a halo marked single. It is hard to say because he was tired down with trying to run the Null Co and kind of last minute with HM he opt to sign with Columbia. So, he could easily go back to halo singles now. But, CD sales are in the toilet so he may keep the extra stuff such as singles as digital downloads. At the same time Columbia may want to produce the extra stuff now that he is there. So I can definitely see it going either way.
Nah, NIN and HTDA both signed at the same time, it was more Columbia's way to turn greatest hits tracks into an album than Trent being skint.

And vinyl sales are going up and up, so he could always do a Capital G and stick 'em there

Seed_0
02-03-2016, 04:51 PM
It's not hard for vinyl sales to increase. The only people buying are enthusiasts, and vinyl is the best. The reason he signed with Columbia was because he didn't want to spend the time it takes to run Null, and his stuff would reach a great audience easier. His first seed to HM time frame was a Null release. He had recorded Satellite before HM and decided he wanted to make a full album.

Ryan
02-04-2016, 03:36 AM
Got The Fragile playing in my car and just now noticed a small "TR" that suits quite nicely:

http://i68.tinypic.com/25s4cj8.jpg

snaapz
02-04-2016, 08:55 AM
'The Great Destroyer' is an update of 'Happiness in Slavery' --- (particularly the drum solo destruction part) (random)

sick among the pure
02-04-2016, 11:14 AM
'The Great Destroyer' is an update of 'Happiness in Slavery' --- (particularly the drum solo destruction part) (random)
Especially that one time when the breakdown from The Great Destroyer had Happiness in Slavery in it.
Another reason why I'm so mad I never got The Great Destroyer until fucking NIN/SG.

Mantra
02-04-2016, 06:09 PM
Opal mix of HLAH just came on random and holy FUCK this track is SO. FUCKING. GOOD. weird psychedelic dance shit. love the old school drum breaks. just the coolest shit ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLPe-aLZnE8

probably haven't heard this in more than a decade, at least, but it sounds so good and fresh to me now. there's modern day indie bands who strive for this dark retro 80s synthpop underground looping style but they simply can not pull it off to this level. this shit is real and raw and straight from god's eye.

wish trent would try making stuff like this again.

shagg_187
02-06-2016, 05:04 AM
I love Heresy's demo, so I decided to mix it with the album version, while maintaining the original tempo. Ever wondered how it'll sound like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5PzxTAhV1o

wizfan
02-06-2016, 07:28 AM
I love Heresy's demo, so I decided to mix it with the album version, while maintaining the original tempo. Ever wondered how it'll sound like?

Damn good job, sir.

Seed_0
02-06-2016, 12:19 PM
Has anyone seen the Trent and Bowie clip on nin.com? It kind of strange. It is really short, just a few seconds and looped. Just wondering if there is anything more to it.

sheepdean
02-06-2016, 12:33 PM
Has anyone seen the Trent and Bowie clip on nin.com? It kind of strange. It is really short, just a few seconds and looped. Just wondering if there is anything more to it.
it's a gif, not a clip. And it's an excerpt from the live shows they did together

Warped_Savant
02-06-2016, 12:44 PM
Yes, search YouTube for: Trent Reznor David Bowie... you'll find videos.

Seed_0
02-06-2016, 12:54 PM
it's a gif, not a clip. And it's an excerpt from the live shows they did together

A clip is piece taken from a whole. It is a general term. Not a specified format.

Seed_0
02-06-2016, 12:57 PM
Yes, search YouTube for: Trent Reznor David Bowie... you'll find videos.

I don't see anything referring to that particular post.

sheepdean
02-06-2016, 01:17 PM
A clip is piece taken from a whole. It is a general term. Not a specified format.
A clip is generally for audio/video usage.

And are you asking for the video it's from? Because it's Hurt, and it's on Closure -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7_Te7iDojA

Warped_Savant
02-06-2016, 01:20 PM
I don't see anything referring to that particular post.
What are you actually looking for? It's a clip of Reznor and Bowie singing together...
Is there more to the clip? In terms of where it's from, yes... They toured together and that's a tiny clip of them singing Hurt together. If you want me to be really specific, it's from this video, which is the second result on Youtube, and the first one that is from a concert: https://youtu.be/GfTAQG9raQ4?t=3m6s (I even started it right about the time that clip was taken from)

Is there more to the clip? In terms of why it was posted, yes... The post has a bit below it quoting and linking to an article where Reznor talks about Bowie.

Is there more to the clip? In terms as to why they used that one, no... It's a nice shot showing the two of them singing together.

Seed_0
02-06-2016, 01:24 PM
A clip is generally for audio/video usage.

And are you asking for the video it's from? Because it's Hurt, and it's on Closure -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7_Te7iDojA

I know what it is from. I was wondering why that particular piece was posted.

sheepdean
02-06-2016, 01:25 PM
I know what it is from. I was wondering why that particular piece was posted.
...because David Bowie just died?

Seed_0
02-06-2016, 01:29 PM
What are you actually looking for? It's a clip of Reznor and Bowie singing together...
Is there more to the clip? In terms of where it's from, yes... They toured together and that's a tiny clip of them singing Hurt together. If you want me to be really specific, it's from this video, which is the second result on Youtube, and the first one that is from a concert: https://youtu.be/GfTAQG9raQ4?t=3m6s (I even started it right about the time that clip was taken from)

Is there more to the clip? In terms of why it was posted, yes... The post has a bit below it quoting and linking to an article where Reznor talks about Bowie.

Is there more to the clip? In terms as to why they used that one, no... It's a nice shot showing the two of them singing together.

It is not that great of a shot of them singing together. There are a lot better shots of them singing together. I am glad you posted it beings you have the answer that there is nothing more to it.

Seed_0
02-06-2016, 01:31 PM
...because David Bowie just died?

Ok I guess looking for more than just surface content is to much.

BenAkenobi
02-06-2016, 01:57 PM
That clip is in fact "just surface content". To my understanding Trent would rather not star in a 2-hour movie about the (unfortunate) subject matter. That's why the clip is as brief as possible but at the same isn't a still image. Sometimes the less is more... ok, i shut up.

shagg_187
02-06-2016, 04:43 PM
I never liked the fact that the music video for "The Day The World Went Away" was scrapped even though there was decent amount of footage. I decided to stitch it up and compile it using the provided footage. See if it fits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsOsqtAlpB4

implanted_microchip
02-07-2016, 06:57 AM
Getting over the hipster, jaded "It's a single people know so it sucks and is overrated" attitude for just a moment before slipping it right back on like the warm and familiar glove it is, can I just say how amazing the last few minutes of Closer are? Seriously, the album version back half is some of NIN's most defining sounds and moods condensed to this one brilliant burst that seems to get so lost in discussion, between being cut out on the radio edit and live versions (since 2005 at least) and being on a song that most "super serious fans" skip over in talk.

GibbonBlack
02-07-2016, 08:29 AM
can I just say how amazing the last few minutes of Closer are?

It's the best part of the 5.1 mix too

BRoswell
02-07-2016, 10:14 AM
I think Closer is still a great song. People can say what they want about it being the only NIN track that most people know, but it's a solid track, and popularity be damned, it's one of the best ones Trent has done in my opinion.

Seed_0
02-07-2016, 10:17 AM
Regardless of it's fame, popularity and radio play, Closer is a Fucking Masterpiece!

sweeterthan
02-07-2016, 10:21 AM
The video is also a masterpiece. There used to be some website that listed all the art references in the video. Anybody know what I'm talking about? I remember reading it 10-ish years ago.

xcore
02-07-2016, 10:43 AM
This interview I like pretty much: Somehow I can concentrate good on it, understand nearly everything and find it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq-RuNwINE8&index=2&list=PL2NFnEG54GN5e0cGrTQitaKUTOO aTJ2nC

m15a
02-07-2016, 10:49 AM
Getting over the hipster, jaded "It's a single people know so it sucks and is overrated" attitude for just a moment before slipping it right back on like the warm and familiar glove it is, can I just say how amazing the last few minutes of Closer are? Seriously, the album version back half is some of NIN's most defining sounds and moods condensed to this one brilliant burst that seems to get so lost in discussion, between being cut out on the radio edit and live versions (since 2005 at least) and being on a song that most "super serious fans" skip over in talk.
Sure! It's probably the song, and part of a song, that most got me into NIN. I remember getting a mix tape with Closer (and HLAH) and then checking out everything else. I actually remember listening to that last part of headphones and having my mind blown. And then I listened to all the separate tracks in the MIDI file and probably spent a few days rearranging them. This month is the 20th anniversary of me starting to compose music, and that's probably more due to Closer and those last few minutes than any other song.

seasonsinthesky
02-07-2016, 11:07 AM
I'd rather "Closer to God" these days, even if it rips off the end of "Burn."

sick among the pure
02-07-2016, 01:01 PM
I'd rather "Closer to God" these days, even if it rips off the end of "Burn."
Especially the live version for the Dissonance tour. I would love for that to make a comeback.

Pyract
02-07-2016, 06:14 PM
The video is also a masterpiece. There used to be some website that listed all the art references in the video. Anybody know what I'm talking about? I remember reading it 10-ish years ago.

http://www.nachtkabarett.com/NIN/Closer

This one?

sweeterthan
02-07-2016, 07:28 PM
http://www.nachtkabarett.com/NIN/Closer

This one?

Yes. That's it. Thanks so much for posting this.

Indefinite_Cure
02-09-2016, 01:28 AM
Let me predict it here and now: the next thing we'll hear from Nine Inch Nails, the next album,...will be amazing! I think we're in for a treat, new soundscapes, new inspirations, new concept maybe. Ah...I wish. Anyway, that was it for my early morning random NIN rant. I hope we'll have some announcement "soon".

xcore
02-09-2016, 05:34 AM
Last night dancing in our local MondayClub to the "fuck you like an animal" song was a smooothy fuck...öhm...fun.

hobochic
02-09-2016, 04:13 PM
Let me predict it here and now: the next thing we'll hear from Nine Inch Nails, the next album,...will be amazing! I think we're in for a treat, new soundscapes, new inspirations, new concept maybe. Ah...I wish. Anyway, that was it for my early morning random NIN rant. I hope we'll have some announcement "soon".

New soundscapes, inspirations and concepts?

http://lezapptv.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/barack-obama-dans-une-telerealit-326x235.jpg
https://41.media.tumblr.com/70ef2cb7328f8d1d7186898760812927/tumblr_mjypwsd1yh1r9hvqeo1_500.png
http://stevenarch.tymoon.eu/fab/src/132002269955.jpg

Ryan
02-09-2016, 04:18 PM
^ Tom's top tooth directly in the middle of his face has always freaked me out.

joplinpicasso
02-09-2016, 06:28 PM
Random NIN observation/connection that I haven't been able to find online: TR quite clearly is referencing Robert Frost on The Fragile, unless it was by accident.

"He says the best way out is always through.
And I agree to that, or in so far
As that I can see no way out but through—"

from "A Servant to Servants" in ​North of Boston.

Ryan
02-09-2016, 07:16 PM
Random NIN observation/connection that I haven't been able to find online: TR quite clearly is referencing Robert Frost on The Fragile, unless it was by accident.

"He says the best way out is always through.
And I agree to that, or in so far
As that I can see no way out but through—"

from "A Servant to Servants" in ​North of Boston.

I've found that "the way out is through," the title, has applied to so many life situations for me than any actual lyric Trent has penned. Love that title.

implanted_microchip
02-10-2016, 01:36 AM
All of Way Out Is Through is among my favorite writing from Trent. Perfect opening to the Right side of the album, and one I'm still longing to see live. It's always been a highlight to me, and really captures a lot of what I love musically and lyrically about The Fragile.

Ryan
02-10-2016, 01:47 AM
All of Way Out Is Through is among my favorite writing from Trent. Perfect opening to the Right side of the album, and one I'm still longing to see live. It's always been a highlight to me, and really captures a lot of what I love musically and lyrically about The Fragile.

What do you lyrically love about me?

implanted_microchip
02-10-2016, 02:21 AM
What do you lyrically love about me?
The second verse of your penis and the bridge to your balls

Ryan
02-10-2016, 02:36 AM
The second verse of your penis and the bridge to your balls

Hahahahahahha

fillow
02-10-2016, 10:42 AM
9 years ago today NIN launched Performance 2007 tour in Lisbon. Last was played for the first time ever.
10 years ago today With Teeth winter arena tour started. First performances of Mr Self Destruct and Please since eons ago.

Halo Infinity
02-10-2016, 02:04 PM
While there are plenty of Nine Inch Nails songs that mean a lot more to me than did they when I first listened to them as a teenager, Down In It, Last, Hurt, Every Day Is Exactly The Same and Getting Smaller still really stand out to me the most of late.

Down In It for just realizing more and more of how little I know, along with blunders and ignorance, thinking that I got it or was on to something when I was so far off, which ultimately left me "down in it" and well, silent and dejected.

Last and Hurt for seeing more and more just how things and people seem to eventually just go away. (Aside from death, which is also a given.) I guess it's just me, but it was a lot more different after seeing what happens after people my age and younger graduate college, get a career, get married and have children as lots of them even ended up moving to other states and countries, if not towns and cities. Separation, isolation and loss was a lot more inevitable than I thought, along with helping me realize just how finite time spent together can really be even if they are or were super close pals at some points in time. I knew it wasn't going to last forever, it's just more of a matter realizing just how it all really does end a lot sooner than I thought, and just how easily divided and terminated groups can get over even very short periods of time. It also occurred to me just how befitting it was for Trent Reznor to have put out those songs in his late 20s. As a teenager, I just didn't get it the way I do now, nor did it click with me the same exact way at all.

As for Every Day Is Exactly The Same, it seems to be very true that routine is something to get accustomed to in age, especially to the point of even being or seemingly meaningless and redundant. This isn't to even say that the adventure and the magic has to stop, but sometimes that really is just the reality of life, even if you are a success. (Unless of course, you absolutely/positively really, really love yourself, your life and everything you do with it while always knowing what you want out of life.) I also feel like this song means a lot to me more than it did when I was a teen too. It speaks to me much more than it ever did after seeing just how much things can really go up in the air as an adult.

I suppose that I'd also include Getting Smaller, but it's also still very similar to the thoughts and feelings I've also had over Down In It and Every Day Is Exactly The Same.

I also forgot to mention, I'm Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally, but it's also pretty much covered with Down In It, Last and Hurt.