PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Kyle
11-14-2017, 12:29 AM
I hope not but I wouldn't be super surprised if something came up from Trent's past. I am of the firm belief that the things a person does while on hard drugs is not representative of who they are. It doesn't mean it's an excuse and it doesn't mean they shouldn't face consequences but it also doesn't automatically mean that's who they are. Certain people close to me have had those kinds of pasts and you're really not yourself when you're using.

With all that said, I don't think he has one of those kinds of skeletons. I'm just saying it wouldn't be a super shock. Unless it happened within the last 15 or so years. Then I'll be shocked.

WorzelG
11-14-2017, 03:03 AM
I hope not but I wouldn't be super surprised if something came up from Trent's past. I am of the firm belief that the things a person does while on hard drugs is not representative of who they are. It doesn't mean it's an excuse and it doesn't mean they shouldn't face consequences but it also doesn't automatically mean that's who they are. Certain people close to me have had those kinds of pasts and you're really not yourself when you're using.

With all that said, I don't think he has one of those kinds of skeletons. I'm just saying it wouldn't be a super shock. Unless it happened within the last 15 or so years. Then I'll be shocked.
i find it hard to believe if there was something this bad it didn’t come out in 2009 with the whole Trent getting married backlash, like every article had pages and pages of vicious comments and dragging up the past. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if something like this came out about somebody in the entourage of the Downward Spiral tour though

Kyle
11-14-2017, 03:13 AM
i find it hard to believe if there was something this bad it didn’t come out in 2009 with the whole Trent getting married backlash, like every article had pages and pages of vicious comments and dragging up the past. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if something like this came out about somebody in the entourage of the Downward Spiral tour though

It kind of already did with Twiggy. I consider him part of the "downward spiral entourage."

sweeterthan
11-14-2017, 07:20 AM
I don’t know. Reznor has always seemed like a good guy to me. I’m totally biased tho.

One of Trent’s friends during that time was a self proclaimed virgin. Kennedy from MTV toured with him. She wrote about him in her book. I think If she has anything on him, it would’ve came out then since that’s the kind of thing that sells books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WorzelG
11-14-2017, 09:48 AM
I don’t know. Reznor has always seemed like a good guy to me. I’m totally biased tho.

One of Trent’s friends during that time was a self proclaimed virgin. Kennedy from MTV toured with him. She wrote about him in her book. I think If she has anything on him, it would’ve came out then since that’s the kind of thing that sells books.

yes, I read this, she said his bed was a ‘safe bed’ and she regularly stayed over with him

Demogorgon
11-14-2017, 12:27 PM
So I would have put this in NIN spotting but it's not new; it's just news to me.
My wife has been watching old episodes of CSI and I've noticed a few nin songs in the soundtrack.
The thing that tripped me out the most was they played part of the Gave Up remix from Fixed. That's a pretty deep cut. They also played part of Halo Spaceboy in the same episode.
whoever picked the songs for this show has pretty good taste.

slightly related, and super old news, but in the first Resident Evil movie, the layered drum section from that same track (or possibly the Fist Fuck version) is used during the scene where Milla fights off the dogs. It's uncredited I believe.

Bachy
11-17-2017, 06:29 AM
I wish Trent would grow out his hair again, and maybe molest a musician or two on stage like in AATCHB.

Bachy
11-17-2017, 12:42 PM
I really like “Burning Bright (Field on Fire),” but like many NIN tracks, when I first heart it, my initial response was:

https://frinkiac.com/gif/S04E22/411026/414146.gif?b64lines=IFdIQVQgVEhFIEhFTEwgV0FTIFRIQV Q_

It iprobably didn’t help that I was very hungover when I was listening.

elevenism
11-17-2017, 01:43 PM
So nin and CSI: I've heard at LEAST a dozen tracks now, at LEAST. And these are deep cuts too. I heard Slipping Away and The Great Collapse in one episode.
The weird thing is that I can't find any database online that says which songs were in which episodes.
I guess they are ALL uncredited? How does that work?
Like my friend's band The Old 97s had a song in season six of the walking dead, and it only played for like 30 seconds, but they got an IMBD credit and were paid for the use of the song.
Does Trent just kind of let CSI use his old tunes?

eversonpoe
11-17-2017, 02:05 PM
So nin and CSI: I've heard at LEAST a dozen tracks now, at LEAST. And these are deep cuts too. I heard Slipping Away and The Great Collapse in one episode.
The weird thing is that I can't find any database online that says which songs were in which episodes.
I guess they are ALL uncredited? How does that work?
Like my friend's band The Old 97s had a song in season six of the walking dead, and it only played for like 30 seconds, but they got an IMBD credit and were paid for the use of the song.
Does Trent just kind of let CSI use his old tunes?

https://www.tunefind.com/show/csi

elevenism
11-17-2017, 03:05 PM
https://www.tunefind.com/show/csiright, but this doesn't show all the nin songs. I can't find any database that does.
Edit: digging deeper into it, it does show most of them (but it is missing a few.)
I'm interested on how this works: does NIN get paid for these songs being used or no?

It's pretty damn cool: no other tv drama has more NIN than CSI.

Halo Infinity
11-17-2017, 05:52 PM
It's very hard for me to put it into words right now, but Not The Actual Events and Add Violence are giving me quite the mind screw trip whenever I ponder about how both EPs connect and relate to previous works. I was about to post about again, as I've posted about it before, but just had to stop myself for now this time around. It really all just boils down to fantasy and speculation anyway. (With some exceptions.) As fun as it is, I really am at a loss for words, but that's also because it's quite fascinating to see how Trent created a world in his music, or dare I say, multiverses, dimensions, timelines and personas. The lore keeps going on and on.

What I will say though, is how I ended up enjoying imagining and picturing the concept of those albums audibly and visually in relation to Broken (Thanks to the movie itself as well.), The Downward Spiral and Year Zero. That's been sometimes fun for what it's worth.

Just when I thought the surprises were over, that happens. And I'm entirely grateful. It also always amazes me how there really is always a unique experience per release, which always succeeds to make all of them even all the more memorable.

Bachy
11-18-2017, 10:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv05EmuDjsY

Halo Infinity
11-18-2017, 10:30 PM
I've been buying Nine Inch Nails albums as gifts to give as presents for birthdays and Christmas to friends over the past couple of years. I love this musician as much as the next person here, and I'm sure I'm not alone on this, especially on the whole buying multiple albums part, but I actually never expected to love this musician to that point. (Although, I've kind of done it with other musicians, but not as much as NIN.)

And well, not that it should surprise anybody, especially on ETS, but just about all of them liked or even loved what they heard, which was pleasantly surprising, since most of them never ever heard of NIN before meeting me. :)

I don't know why it took me so long to admit it though, but I have actually mentioned it a few times before. (Or perhaps I just forgot that I did.)

thevoid99
11-21-2017, 09:39 PM
Ah, now I know why Trent has a love for the tambourine. Tracy Partridge. He did admit to being a fan of the Partridge Family so this make sense. We will miss you Keith, Tracy, and Mr. Kincaid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3fPtMuBtMs

sheepdean
11-23-2017, 07:27 AM
So I was reading the AV liner notes and I saw Tom Baker's credit has changed to being from "Baker Mastering" - I like that Trent's longest lasting collaborator has left the old company and is now doing the same shit solo

chuckrh
11-23-2017, 08:35 AM
i would like to see trent do some more work with adrian belew.

accelestar
11-24-2017, 06:24 PM
This might be an unpopular opinion, but Aaron North is my favorite NIN live guitarist. Nothing against Finick, but I found North much more interesting on stage, and I liked how frenetic he sounded.

sweeterthan
11-24-2017, 06:25 PM
If Reznor was to cover an Elton John song, it should be “madman across the water”.

ImTheWiseJanitor
11-24-2017, 07:53 PM
My PS4 currently sounds like it was produced by Trent Reznor.

BRoswell
11-25-2017, 05:37 PM
Rob posted this on Twitter:

@nineinchnails fans: I've received some comments about NIN products/services recently and just want to clarify that I have not been associated with NIN since 2014 and am not able to respond to issues related to them - please reach out to them directly. Thanks! -Rob

I didn't know he split that long ago.

chuckrh
11-26-2017, 07:56 AM
i just watched the vevo tension video for the first time (better late than never). it's an amazing performance. i wish they would've put up the whole show. i saw them a few weeks after it was filmed. although it was a bit different, i really liked that tour. pity the video was never commercially released like originally planned. would've been cool to have the surround sound but the 1 i downloaded sounds real good.

Dr Channard
11-26-2017, 12:06 PM
i just watched the vevo tension video for the first time (better late than never). it's an amazing performance...

To date, the Lights In The Sky tour is still my favorite, and as a production the Tension tour felt like an extension of the LITS tour on some levels. Having the addition of Lisa and Sharlotte really helped to distinguish it though. If you like the VEVO, you might find the Austin City Limits NIN broadcast to be worth a look.

chuckrh
11-26-2017, 12:10 PM
To date, the Lights In The Sky tour is still my favorite, and as a production the Tension tour felt like an extension of the LITS tour on some levels. Having the addition of Lisa and Sharlotte really helped to distinguish it though. If you like the VEVO, you might find the Austin City Limits NIN broadcast to be worth a look.
thanks, i've seen that one. i'm pretty much ready to go along with trent wherever he wants to go. can be assured that it will be interesting at the very least.

katara
11-26-2017, 02:55 PM
It's an absolute sin that And All That Could Have Been has never been played live, despite having an entire double album and DVD named after it.

fillow
11-26-2017, 04:12 PM
It's an absolute sin that And All That Could Have Been has never been played live, despite having an entire double album and DVD named after it.

Then there's also this:

JayAmari: Trent, will we ever get to hear "And All That Could Have Been", "We're in This Together Now" or "Sunspots" live?
trent_reznor> Yes, maybe and yes.

http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/manager/display_article.php?id=288

sheepdean
11-26-2017, 04:38 PM
Dude, The Perfect Drug and Everything were both SINGLES. Like what kinda band doesn't play singles, is Trent just trying to be REM

chuckrh
11-26-2017, 05:12 PM
This might be an unpopular opinion, but Aaron North is my favorite NIN live guitarist. Nothing against Finick, but I found North much more interesting on stage, and I liked how frenetic he sounded.
that guy was wild. didn't he take Stevie Ray Vaughan's guitar from hard rock? i recall hearing a story about that. could've been when he was in icaraus line.

blassster
11-26-2017, 05:15 PM
that guy was wild. didn't he take Stevie Ray Vaughan's guitar from hard rock? i recall hearing a story about that. could've been when he was in icaraus line.Yeah, was comical https://youtu.be/BW1fBeqsn_s

katara
11-27-2017, 03:40 AM
that guy was wild. didn't he take Stevie Ray Vaughan's guitar from hard rock? i recall hearing a story about that. could've been when he was in icaraus line.

Yeah, was comical https://youtu.be/BW1fBeqsn_s

No so comical when you realise that that episode and many of his other antics were actually because he was severely mentally ill, possibly bipolar and manic depressive. Source: https://www.spin.com/2013/09/aaron-north-nine-inch-nails-icarus-line/

Volband
11-27-2017, 05:13 AM
Then there's also this:

http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/manager/display_article.php?id=288
Classic Trent; the two "yeses" never being played, while the one "maybe" did. Not complaining, but I really see no reason why AATCHB could not be played. At least Sunspots sounds quite hard to sing, plus Trent seems to fucking loathe the songs from WT in general.

Not playing Everything was straight up a pussying out on his part though. The real Trent who used to perform Kinda I Want To in small clubs while confettis were being thrown at him would play Everything without any hesitation.

Anyway, here's Hurt. Good night everyone.

chuckrh
11-27-2017, 06:13 AM
No so comical when you realise that that episode and many of his other antics were actually because he was severely mentally ill, possibly bipolar and manic depressive. Source: https://www.spin.com/2013/09/aaron-north-nine-inch-nails-icarus-line/
sad story

henryeatscereal
11-27-2017, 08:48 AM
Yesterday i received my physical copy of "Add Violence" and i got so happy!

I thought i will end up ordering the "Not the actual events" CD, i already have the physical component, but Trent knows "we pick things up" (we are collectors).

katara
11-27-2017, 05:24 PM
Then there's also this:

jonvincent: I heard that you were willing to do a re-released version of Pretty Hate Machine with extra songs, but Ryko wouldn't pay for it. What extra songs do you have that are unreleased from that era? Any chance they can be posted on iTunes or on nin.com for free?

trent_reznor> There are a FEW snippets that are from that era that with the proper motivation could be developed / finished / mixed.

I wonder why the heck these weren't on the 2010 remaster...

sheepdean
11-27-2017, 05:27 PM
He can't charge $80 for a 4-disc version of Purest Feeling see

katara
11-27-2017, 05:36 PM
He can't charge $80 for a 4-disc version of Purest Feeling see
Inb4 Purest Feeling: Deviations 2

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
11-27-2017, 06:22 PM

He did toss in Get Down, Make Love on the remaster. That was an obscure B side

sheepdean
11-27-2017, 06:30 PM
I don't think a song NIN played live and was easily downloadable is obscure. Unlike, say ... Slate, Twist, Purest Feeling and Maybe Just Once

11-27-2017, 07:13 PM
I don't think a song NIN played live and was easily downloadable is obscure. Unlike, say ... Slate, Twist, Purest Feeling and Maybe Just Once

The studio version was only available on a 20 year old import CD single that was most likely out of print. To remaster it and throw it on the 2010 version of PHM was at least throwing a bone to the diehards...Twist, MJO and PF probably were never even recorded during the PHM sessions...Now if he really wanted to do a deluxe box set for PHM, then he could put out a whole disc of demos and unreleased stuff that I am sure he has in the vault (like those demos Atkins was hawking on ebay a few years back) but since when has NIN ever gotten a deluxe box set reissue for anything....So 1 extra song is about as good as its gonna get, so minds well embrace it

Kulerage
11-27-2017, 07:24 PM
Classic Trent; the two "yeses" never being played, while the one "maybe" did. Not complaining, but I really see no reason why AATCHB could not be played. At least Sunspots sounds quite hard to sing, plus Trent seems to fucking loathe the songs from WT in general.

Maybe AATCHB is similar to La Mer in terms of meaning to Trent, so he finds it hard to play.
As for Sunspots, he didn't sound that bad in that one rehearsal, but that was 2005...

sheepdean
11-28-2017, 06:28 AM
The studio version was only available on a 20 year old import CD single that was most likely out of print. To remaster it and throw it on the 2010 version of PHM was at least throwing a bone to the diehards...Twist, MJO and PF probably were never even recorded during the PHM sessions...Now if he really wanted to do a deluxe box set for PHM, then he could put out a whole disc of demos and unreleased stuff that I am sure he has in the vault (like those demos Atkins was hawking on ebay a few years back) but since when has NIN ever gotten a deluxe box set reissue for anything....So 1 extra song is about as good as its gonna get, so minds well embrace it
Dude, it was on iTunes et al. It was, for some reason, one of the few NIN singles available digitally

And TDS' deluxe box was lovely

11-28-2017, 11:50 AM
Dude, it was on iTunes et al. It was, for some reason, one of the few NIN singles available digitally

And TDS' deluxe box was lovely

It was? No b sides at all. 3 decent demos compiled with a bunch of songs that are easily available on singles and EPs and remix albums....It was pretty half ass compared to what other bands do

gorast
11-28-2017, 08:11 PM
I think it was a very good release on a casual level, in the sense that people who don't come to ETS got a lot of material they likely would never have come across otherwise. Say you're a guy who bought and liked TDS in the 90s but didn't really keep up with NIN. You see a Deluxe Edition reissue, pick it up to reminisce, and then there's a bunch of weird new shit on the second disc? Score. Maybe that guy even becomes a NIN fan, though I'm not really sure that anything on the second disc would be enough to convert someone if TDS itself didn't. But who knows.

On a hardcore level, sure, it wasn't much, but I get the sense that Trent didn't have a ton to do with it, unless he's said otherwise. I agree that other bands have put more effort into deluxe reissues (Smashing Pumpkins comes to mind most recently, though there are countless others), but plenty of others do things like re-release the exact same master in weird limited edition packaging with no other bonuses (thanks Tool).

katara
11-29-2017, 07:06 PM
Not really an obscure b-side. Trent's referring to stuff we possibly haven't heard yet. Although, tbh "snippets" sounds like it's unfinished work, or maybe it sucked.

Don't forget the original version of Kinda I Want To! ♥

The studio version was only available on a 20 year old import CD single that was most likely out of print.
The Sin single was widely available in both US and UK territories. Easy to find even now on ebay or wherever.

Maybe AATCHB is similar to La Mer in terms of meaning to Trent, so he finds it hard to play.
Possibly, but he's played La Mer a ton live.

It was? No b sides at all. 3 decent demos compiled with a bunch of songs that are easily available on singles and EPs and remix albums....It was pretty half ass compared to what other bands do
The entire album was also remixed in 5.1. Sounds amazing on a good system. I admit I was a little disappointed at the time. It'd have been cool to hear an unreleased song like 'Just Do It'.

thenorthwood
11-30-2017, 05:27 PM
I miss Rob Sheridan’s graphics on the nin.com website. I find the new site too minimalistic.

NIN’s live shows feed my soul like no other live show. When I tell people this I preempt it by saying this is a serious statement. I mostly get met with a nonchalant or perplexed reaction. I’m surrounded by people that don’t understand the power of live music. NIN is the only band I consume as many live shows as work and vacation time allow during one tour.

Jordan
11-30-2017, 06:38 PM
If Deviations 2 is an actual event that takes place and if it is indeed The Downward Spiral (Oh please! Oh please!), I will be really bummed if March Of The Pigs doesn't include the extra outro played in the live version. I am always disappointed at how the album version ends after hearing this song live. I would LOVE a studio version of the song with that outro!

eversonpoe
11-30-2017, 08:01 PM
If Deviations 2 is an actual event that takes place and if it is indeed The Downward Spiral (Oh please! Oh please!), I will be really bummed if March Of The Pigs doesn't include the extra outro played in the live version. I am always disappointed at how the album version ends after hearing this song live. I would LOVE a studio version of the song with that outro!

take "march of the pigs" and "all the pigs all lined up" and smoosh 'em together :p

Kulerage
11-30-2017, 08:29 PM
I miss Rob Sheridan’s graphics on the nin.com website. I find the new site too minimalistic.

I agree. It doesn't really feel all that NIN to me. I do appreciate them for not trying to copy him, though

Halo Infinity
12-01-2017, 10:19 PM
I would like to admit that I actually still sometimes can not believe how much of an impact Nine Inch Nails had on me emotionally and mentally since 2002. I know it's because I'm very much entertained, while being able to relate to his work on a personal level, but it certainly has helped me in many cases when I had absolutely zero people to converse and vent with, or cases where I had serious trouble expressing certain emotions the right/safe way.

I can't put my finger on it altogether, but the way NIN has touched my heart, mind and soul and/or what have you is very unique to me. Not that this is anything new from a NIN fan, but Trent Reznor truly is a godsend in the world of music and then some.

Pbgut
12-01-2017, 11:34 PM
I would like to admit that I actually still sometimes can not believe how much of an impact Nine Inch Nails had on me emotionally and mentally since 2002. I know it's because I'm very much entertained, while being able to relate to his work on a personal level, but it certainly has helped me in many cases when I had absolutely zero people to converse and vent with, or cases where I had serious trouble expressing certain emotions the right/safe way.

I can't put my finger on it altogether, but the way NIN has touched my heart, mind and soul and/or what have you is very unique to me. Not that this is anything new from a NIN fan, but Trent Reznor truly is a godsend in the world of music and then some.

Also same. It's hard to put into words how obsessed I was with NIN, particularly from 1994-2002. The first ten years of my life, I had not heard anything that came close to music like that. I became consumed with it. I'm pretty sure the first CD I got was the "Closer to God" single. I can remember listening to it on a Gateway 2000. That opening, ultra-manipulated drum machine sound. The bizarre photograph of the centipede with that strange green-yellow hue. The incredible, mysterious, unplaceable sounds of many of the remixes. I was hooked. I had to get a cassette dub of TDS and hide it in my room because my mom refused to let me buy the album. There aren't many albums/EPs I played as much as the TDS-era releases. I remember the two year gap between FTDS and TPD as a kid (two years is forever when you're 11 and 12). I listened to The Fragile so many times when it first came out, and have returned to it often in both bad and good times. It's the perfect album for isolation, self-imposed or otherwise. I pretty much started making music on my own on a computer because I had read the "nine inch nails is trent reznor" credit on the PHM artwork after a couple of bands I was in in middle school broke up. I don't always know how much of Trent's image is real or exaggerated, but it does sound like the music of someone who at least feels separate from others, if not alone. It feels oddly convincing even though it's very theatrical. Even after hearing some of the influences (like Coil), there still isn't anything like it I've come across. It sounds both like pop music and "underground" at the same time. My life has been pretty difficult at times but I feel grateful for getting to be a kid when NIN broke – the 90s in general had some amazing, diverse, great music and is kind of the last full decade of the old music industry.

Lerxto
12-02-2017, 08:05 AM
Where Is Everybody? (Version) is fucking amazing.

thevoid99
12-02-2017, 08:04 PM
At Barnes & Noble w/ my 20% off coupon, I purchased CD copies of Not the Actual Violence and Add Violence as it's now part of my CD collection that is missing the scores for Gone Girl, Patriot Day, Before the Flood, and Vietnam War as well as the singles for Only and Survivalism.

Hyperpower
12-02-2017, 09:28 PM
At Barnes & Noble w/ my 20% off coupon, I purchased CD copies of Not the Actual Violence and Add Violence as it's now part of my CD collection

whats your opinion on the CD booklet for NTAE?
i like that they kept the theme of the physical components but....could they have resized stuff so the lyrics fit on 1-2 pages? so basically 2 pages per song was asking too much? /shrug

thevoid99
12-02-2017, 09:38 PM
whats your opinion on the CD booklet for NTAE?
i like that they kept the theme of the physical components but....could they have resized stuff so the lyrics fit on 1-2 pages? so basically 2 pages per song was asking too much? /shrug

I haven't opened them yet. It's a birthday present for me.

piggy
12-02-2017, 10:29 PM
Yup, I bought the NTAE and AV CDs for myself from B&N as well. Playing them as I type this. Merry Christmas to me.

bobbie solo
12-03-2017, 12:43 AM
Where Is Everybody? (Version) is fucking amazing.

WHERE/IS/EVERYBODY

::Telefon Tel Aviv bleeps & bloops extravaganza commences::

Jordan
12-03-2017, 01:25 PM
Did anyone else think the Definitive Editions of With Teeth, Year Zero, and The Slip would be out by now? I thought the hold up was the previous bush-league store managers but Live Nation seems to be doing their job.

fillow
12-03-2017, 02:41 PM
They'll be announced on Dec 31. You know the drill.

sick among the pure
12-03-2017, 05:47 PM
Yeah, I would have figured it was going to be one of those "just in time for x-mas!" deals. Well, they're on my list either way.

Kulerage
12-03-2017, 08:42 PM
While we're talking about awesome remixes, Ruiner (Version) is vastly different but just as awesome as the original.

snichols
12-03-2017, 08:54 PM
agreed! Ruiner (version) reminds me of skinny puppy. also Ruiner (version) and Heresy (version) are the best parts of Further down the spiral

i would also go as far to say that they are both the best remixes of the entire downward spiral era.

sick among the pure
12-03-2017, 09:13 PM
I would love for Trent to bring back a few of the FTDS/TFA (or even YZR now that it's so relevant) remixes in live shows (similar to playing one of the Closer remixes back in the 90's).

chuckrh
12-05-2017, 04:43 PM
The Downward Spiral is the perfect record for the holiday season.

butter_hole
12-05-2017, 06:54 PM
yo when da fuck is song exploder coming to something that isnt tidal?

ghostaustin
12-05-2017, 07:03 PM
that "Red Horse Vector" bit in The Great Destroyer is much more prominent on mono bluetooth speakers. Still freaks me out. I remember hearing about it during the ARG, but never experienced it until recently after almost a decade of listening to the song.

sick among the pure
12-05-2017, 09:34 PM
that "Red Horse Vector" bit in The Great Destroyer is much more prominent on mono bluetooth speakers. Still freaks me out. I remember hearing about it during the ARG, but never experienced it until recently after almost a decade of listening to the song.

Wasn't it found when listening to the song in mono?

botley
12-06-2017, 07:06 AM
yo when da fuck is song exploder coming to something that isnt tidal?

Within the week it's usually posted on their website/podcast feed. Not in lossless though, that remains Tidal exclusive.

henryeatscereal
12-06-2017, 09:30 AM
It's funny because i have always thought the same thing...

TDS was a christmas present for me back in the 90's and i remember listening to it during Xmas, i've always linked this album to holiday season...

ghostaustin
12-06-2017, 10:29 AM
Wasn't it found when listening to the song in mono?
I forget exactly. I thought it had something to do with the phase and swapping polarity or something, but maybe I'm overthinking it haha

Brando
12-06-2017, 11:55 AM
Will there ever be a proper release of now i`m nothing??
I want it soooo much.

BRoswell
12-06-2017, 12:11 PM
Will there ever be a proper release of now i`m nothing??
I want it soooo much.

Trent said there's no studio recording for it, so unless he records a new version (which is doubtful), I don't think you'll see a release.

scribnation
12-06-2017, 02:24 PM
Which album(s) as a Deviation would be a very interesting listen? I think Pretty Hate Machine would be very interesting and different to listen to and think of how he got all the sounds fit and some demos/unreleased takes that wouldn't fit the album at the time. And then The Slip because since it was recorded in such a small period of time I wonder what the early versions sounded like and if there was any songs/short takes that didn't exactly sound right to him. What do you guys think?

snichols
12-06-2017, 02:28 PM
the slip would be a great deviations 2. also, year zero is a must!

Halo Infinity
12-06-2017, 04:03 PM
I absolutely agree. However, I've also had The Fragile, and more recently, Ghosts I-IV in mind for the holiday season much more as of late.

The Downward Spiral and Pretty Hate Machine (It also kind of goes with the cool/cold for me.) also seem to go very well with summer too, but that's just me. Maybe it's also partly to do with the album cover (Then again, with covers one could go on and on with random visual associations/parallels.), but Broken is also a very summer release for me as well.

iamclassic
12-06-2017, 04:20 PM
I absolutely agree. However, I've also had The Fragile, and more recently, Ghosts I-IV in mind for the holiday season much more as of late.

The Downward Spiral and Pretty Hate Machine (It also kind of goes with the cool/cold for me.) also seem to go very well with summer too, but that's just me. Maybe it's also partly to do with the album cover (Then again, with covers one could go on and on with random visual associations/parallels.), but Broken is also a very summer release for me as well.

I like that people are associating albums with seasons, I have felt like NTAE has a Fall/Winter feel.

sweeterthan
12-06-2017, 04:25 PM
Trent said there's no studio recording for it, so unless he records a new version (which is doubtful), I don't think you'll see a release.
agreed but we can dream. it's christmas after all.

sonic_discord
12-06-2017, 05:56 PM

It's funny because i have always thought the same thing...

TDS was a christmas present for me back in the 90's and i remember listening to it during Xmas, i've always linked this album to holiday season...

I got TDS for Christmas back in 1997. Holy shit, that was 20 years ago! Damn, I feel old now.

butter_hole
12-06-2017, 06:32 PM
Within the week it's usually posted on their website/podcast feed. Not in lossless though, that remains Tidal exclusive.
Someone ripped it and put it on Reddit, so I listened to that. Now neither Tidal or Apple get my listen. I guess that's what early exclusives get you...

sweeterthan
12-06-2017, 06:33 PM
I listened to it from the link nin posted on twitter and facebook. There’s a mp3 there.

chuckrh
12-06-2017, 07:13 PM
I got TDS for Christmas back in 1997. Holy shit, that was 20 years ago! Damn, I feel old now.

I heard that! getting old isn't for the meek.

henryeatscereal
12-07-2017, 08:22 AM
I got it for Xmas with a "NOW: That's what i call music" comp (yeah, you can laugh...) back in 1995, it was my first NIN album ever!

buckaroo
12-07-2017, 09:11 AM

I remember getting Broken for Christmas in '92 and listening to it on repeat for hours at my grandparents house. That is my winter / holiday "album." Every time I listen to it that is what I remember. Now I feel old. Thanks.

eversonpoe
12-07-2017, 09:46 AM
i often accidentally misread "Broken" as "Borken" and imagine the swedish chef singing "wish" and then crack up. i feel like someone must have photoshopped the swedish chef into a still one of the videos from broken by now.

botley
12-07-2017, 09:57 AM
Someone ripped it and put it on Reddit, so I listened to that. Now neither Tidal or Apple get my listen. I guess that's what early exclusives get you...
You could also have waited exactly one more day and had a higher-quality free stream direct from the artists, but okay, rage against that machine.

Dr Channard
12-07-2017, 11:45 AM
i often accidentally misread "Broken" as "Borken" and imagine the swedish chef singing "wish" and then crack up. i feel like someone must have photoshopped the swedish chef into a still one of the videos from broken by now.

Well, it's happened now.

http://i68.tinypic.com/zmdw8m.jpg

henryeatscereal
12-07-2017, 12:00 PM
For some reason The Muppets and NIN get along just fine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57ta7mkgrOU

MrLobster
12-07-2017, 12:25 PM
For some reason The Muppets and NIN get along just fine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57ta7mkgrOU

Always liked this one more...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpzPdS_gHzA

BRoswell
12-07-2017, 03:30 PM
I didn't realize until today that Fixed was released so soon after Broken. I always assumed it was released in 1993.

Ribbitman
12-07-2017, 06:58 PM
Am I just hearing shit? In Just Like You Imagined, after the piano solo, I swear it sounds like the keys on the piano are being destroyed throughout the song after.

botley
12-08-2017, 09:41 AM
Nah, that's just Mike Garson (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tahPYoybR6E#t=2m52s).

scribnation
12-09-2017, 12:30 AM
I wonder if there will be a "Ghosts V-VIII" in the future, Id love to get my hands on that even if it wont be out for free lol ..What do you all think?

Pbgut
12-09-2017, 12:43 AM
I wonder if there will be a "Ghosts V-VIII" in the future, Id love to get my hands on that even if it wont be out for free lol ..What do you all think?

I've always assumed that even though parts of Ghosts have a distinctly NIN sound that hasn't really been explored on any of TR&AR's soundtrack work (the tracks with harder beats and harsh guitars), that the essential idea (freely structured instrumental music) has sort of been taken over and continued by their scores?

scribnation
12-09-2017, 12:57 AM
I've always assumed that even though parts of Ghosts have a distinctly NIN sound that hasn't really been explored on any of TR&AR's soundtrack work (the tracks with harder beats and harsh guitars), that the essential idea (freely structured instrumental music) has sort of been taken over and continued by their scores?

That might be the case, but who knows, a second collection of Ghosts would be very awesome and something worth to spend your money on imo

implanted_microchip
12-09-2017, 08:18 AM
The scores have more than scratched my itch for giant collections of instrumental TR/AR music and Deviations added even more to the pile for me. I feel like Social Network and Gone Girl both show how their instrumental work is almost better when it has specific imagery to tie itself to. There’s a palpable tone and a texture to the Dragon Tattoo score that Ghosts doesn’t have. I’ll take more in line with what they’re doing in the EPs over 2 more hours of Ghosts any day (but I really hope some Ghosts tracks come back live; there’s no way they can’t fit one or two into the setlists).

sweeterthan
12-09-2017, 08:19 AM
So that final ep should be getting close, right? Maybe January?

sonic_discord
12-09-2017, 11:25 AM
So that final ep should be getting close, right? Maybe January?

Maybe. Maybe February. Maybe March. He said 6-8 months. 6 months = January, 8 months = March.

botley
12-09-2017, 11:30 AM
Febtober! #contrarianism

chuckrh
12-09-2017, 01:18 PM
i think "the fragile" is my favorite NIN record. which is to say 1 of my favorite records ever. maybe it could've used a little editing but what would you leave off? i probably could live without "starfuckers inc" but that song served its purpose. "ghosts" & "downward spiral" are close. "fragile" for me is kind of best of all worlds. just my ever so humble opinion...

eversonpoe
12-09-2017, 02:19 PM
Febtober! #contrarianism

http://i.imgur.com/mhPRJSK.jpg

MrLobster
12-09-2017, 03:32 PM

I'd say that Vietnam War soundtrack is pretty heavy and they use a bunch of Ghosts in it as well... so maybe just the right project hadn't come along to use that temperament.

HWB
12-09-2017, 09:11 PM
Few months ago I gave Ghosts's tracks my own custom names to recongize them better for myself.

I have no idea now what Ghosts tracks people are talking about though if they talk about their favorite tracks there.

(I named one of them "Is This Really What You Wanted?" which was before The Background World came out, so that's a cool concidence)

eversonpoe
12-10-2017, 01:46 PM
Few months ago I gave Ghosts's tracks my own custom names to recongize them better for myself.

I have no idea now what Ghosts tracks people are talking about though if they talk about their favorite tracks there.

(I named one of them "Is This Really What You Wanted?" which was before The Background World came out, so that's a cool concidence)

i feel like it would make sense to name them based on the images that go with each one (a la aphex twin and selected ambient works vol ii)

HWB
12-10-2017, 01:57 PM
i feel like it would make sense to name them based on the images that go with each one (a la aphex twin and selected ambient works vol ii)

I named them each after listening to them fully and was using my imagination to determine how it sounds like to me and what emotion it is getting accross.

Kulerage
12-10-2017, 06:18 PM
I named them each after listening to them fully and was using my imagination to determine how it sounds like to me and what emotion it is getting accross.
What did you name 3 Ghosts I?

scribnation
12-10-2017, 08:54 PM
Just curious, has anyone heard of the song Taken from Deviations 1 vinyl? I have never heard it before and cant seem to find it online, like how its blocked from some unknown company on YouTube.

gorast
12-10-2017, 10:35 PM
Just curious, has anyone heard of the song Taken from Deviations 1 vinyl? I have never heard it before and cant seem to find it online, like how its blocked from some unknown company on YouTube.

Are you asking if it's actually a song on Deviations? Because it is.

scribnation
12-10-2017, 10:50 PM
Are you asking if it's actually a song on Deviations? Because it is.
I know its on there, Im just wondering if anyone has heard it and if its any good since I cant find the song anywhere online

HWB
12-10-2017, 11:17 PM
What did you name 3 Ghosts I?

"Shadows"

eversonpoe
12-11-2017, 08:40 AM
I know its on there, Im just wondering if anyone has heard it and if its any good since I cant find the song anywhere online

i would assume that everyone who owns deviations has heard it :p

and yeah, it's very interesting. dark but with a kinetic beat.

mauro995
12-18-2017, 08:59 AM
I love that everything thats going on about the I Can't Seem To Wake Up tour seems to be an improvement from previous years, even stupid things, like Trent's wardrobe for this tour is my favorite one since Downward Spiral.

Bachy
12-19-2017, 06:55 PM
A NIN cover of “Rock Me Amadeus” would be hilariously wonderful.

sheepdean
12-19-2017, 07:15 PM
A NIN cover of “Rock Me Amadeus” would be hilariously wonderful.
Considering he's (probably) a Falco fan as he did an awful cover of Der Kommisar, I'd rather hear something like Naked or Coming Home, he could lay something interesting on that

nihilmatters
12-20-2017, 04:55 PM
I wish I could buy TR's & AR's 'Halloween' theme on 7" vinyl.

katara
12-20-2017, 06:28 PM
I wish I could buy TR's & AR's 'Halloween' theme on CD

Fixed this for you.

nooneimportant
12-20-2017, 09:55 PM
Considering he's (probably) a Falco fan as he did an awful cover of Der Kommisar, I'd rather hear something like Naked or Coming Home, he could lay something interesting on that

No, we need to get a proper NIN version of Der Kommisar.

sheepdean
12-21-2017, 03:12 PM
No, we need to get a proper NIN version of Der Kommisar.
Legit, listen to Naked and tell me you couldn't hear PHM/Broken era NIN doing that

HWB
12-21-2017, 04:56 PM
Branches/Bones may be my new favorite EP/Album opener from NIN.

botley
12-21-2017, 04:59 PM
Fixed this for you.

I'd like it on both, and probably some record company is going to want to cash in with a boxed set containing this, so..

ninlive
12-21-2017, 06:08 PM
After seeing the Houston poster, I was hoping to get a new song debuted at Day For Night.

I love that everything thats going on about the I Can't Seem To Wake Up tour seems to be an improvement from previous years, even stupid things, like Trent's wardrobe for this tour is my favorite one since Downward Spiral.

Can an I get an id on his leather jacket of this tour. Damn, it’s sick.

Branches/Bones may be my new favorite EP/Album opener from NIN.

Besides “Somewhat Damaged” opening in 2006. I would have to agree 100%.

katara
12-21-2017, 06:10 PM
I'd like it on both, and probably some record company is going to want to cash in with a boxed set containing this, so..
Tbh, an official collected EP with all the random b-side tracks floating around would be really nice.

Theme for Tetsuo: The Bullet Man
Juno
Hallowe'en
Theme from Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Possibly these, too:
Zoo Station
The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters
Speaking In Tongues

(Also, Before The Flood on CD).

There may be others. I forget.

chuckrh
12-21-2017, 07:42 PM
After seeing the Houston poster, I was hoping to get a new song debuted at Day For Night.

Can an I get an id on his leather jacket of this tour. Damn, it’s sick.

Besides “Somewhat Damaged” opening in 2006. I would have to agree 100%.

Somewhat Damaged is the theme where I'm at right now with the damn holiday season. It's getting harder to deal with every year.

nihilmatters
12-22-2017, 10:29 AM
Fixed this for you.

The second I get a CD I digitize it and it lives in the cloud where I can enjoy in my car stereo, home system, cell phone, friends' house, etc...then the CD becomes a frisbee or a coaster. I did enjoy CDs back in the 1990s, but with modern tech I prefer digital when I'm on the go. When I'm home in my man cave, where I've invested in a very decent turntable system, I think I'm on board with Trent on this one. I enjoy holding the artwork and physically flipping vinyl because it draws me into the experience more. Vinyl is great if you can afford a nice system and you enjoy sitting down and blocking out the rest of the world for a few minutes.

But, I totally hope it comes out on CD for the people that still like CDs! Sorry though, you didn't fix my comment...to me you just made a typo. :rolleyes:

botley
12-22-2017, 11:20 AM
Tbh, an official collected EP with all the random b-side tracks floating around would be really nice.

Theme for Tetsuo: The Bullet Man
Juno
Hallowe'en
Theme from Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Possibly these, too:
Zoo Station
The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters
Speaking In Tongues

(Also, Before The Flood on CD).

There may be others. I forget.
A Deep Cuts Volume 2 torrent is, I think, the best we can hope for. Licensing problems would be a bit tricky to get it all on one disc.

sheepdean
12-22-2017, 11:27 AM
Thing is, it's released via Sacred Bones and they're not an evil capitalistic money grabbing label, they just do ~cool stuff~. So maybe not

botley
12-22-2017, 12:13 PM
^ I'm aware, but they probably won't license it for free. So the most economical thing is probably for a bigger label to throw it (and the other stray tracks listed above) on as a bonus track in a big TR+AR box set. Someday...

Dr Channard
12-22-2017, 01:42 PM
Since the removal of the forums and user remix, I hardly ever go to the nin.com site.

If they do another tour, “Closer” should be preformed in the full-length album version.

It would be great to hear them perform “I Can’t Give Everything Away” and “This Isn’t The Place” back to back.

They should pick one show and perform all the (non-ghosts) songs in the library that have never been done live before.

sheepdean
12-22-2017, 02:18 PM
They should pick one show and perform all the (non-ghosts) songs in the library that have never been done live before.
A 30 song set with no flow and most people in attendance wouldn't know half of them?

BRoswell
12-22-2017, 02:26 PM
A 30 song set with no flow and most people in attendance wouldn't know half of them?

Yeah, I have to agree. As much as I'd like to see more tracks performed, I don't think playing them all in the same show is the way to go.

Dr Channard
12-22-2017, 02:41 PM

Eeh, not all my ideas can be winners.

BenAkenobi
12-22-2017, 02:45 PM
...then the CD becomes a frisbee or a coaster...

You know what, vinyl frisbees are better than CD, too - they're heavier, they'll fly farther, what are you trying to prove here?

But, I totally hope it comes out on CD for the people that still like CDs!

It's not really a matter of pleasing people who "like" a certain media for their music. It's about getting the most value out of one's purchase. I personally think now that i'd rather buy soundtracks (such as Patriots Day and BTF) as pure downloads - if there was a definitive place that had them all, preferably nin.com shop. But nin.com shop is not so user-friendly unfortunately. So i didn't buy there. "Official" site doesn't even offer external links to where to buy what. I'd like one place to go and shop for music i like - but it's a risk that next release is not sold in a shop where i'm registered, or the rights expire, or some other b u l l s h i t. So i prefer CD as a "safety measure". If i get one, i get A - music, B - hard copy, C - independence from online services. I obviously don't speak for all "people that still like CDs", i just have reasons to not look down on them as a group of paying customers.

fillow
12-22-2017, 02:48 PM
I really wish Trent would pull a Bowie move and play a Greatest Hits tour to retire them the fuck away and then do a tour with only new stuff + super deep cuts and previously unplayed shit.
I was recently reading a fan-made Outside Tour book/chronology and there was a quote from Bowie he made at one TV appearance. He said that whoever went to see him on Outside tour and then complained about the lack of old hits must've been living under a rock for five years and he was absolutely right. With proper advertising it's possible to bring a number of people who don't know the songs to a bare minimum.

katara
12-22-2017, 03:23 PM
I really wish Trent would... play a Greatest Hits tour
This is the norm, though. There are a bunch of songs that are played almost every night alongside a smattering of new stuff with a few lesser-played tracks thrown in for good measure.

NIN is already a relatively niche band. Attendance would be awful if they stopped playing the songs that your average concert-goer wants to hear. People expect to hear Wish, HLAH, Closer when they go to see NIN. They don't want to hear Find My Way or The Lovers. The community we have here is comprised of hardcore fans who would kill to have a setlist only made up of deep cuts. But the truth is that NIN is a money-making venture just as much as it is an artistic endeavour. He's comprising sets from what he believes is his best (and most popular) material across an almost 30-year discography. As much as I roll my eyes at the intro to Gave Up, I still get into the song and enjoy it; it's still a good song. And even if we've all heard it to death at this point, there'll be someone in the crowd who'll be hearing it for the first time that night.

MrLobster
12-22-2017, 04:19 PM

I had the thought the other day of an Option 30 of "Three Little Birds" (Bob Marley)... I may need some help.

chuckrh
12-22-2017, 06:07 PM
every one i know goes away in the end

Kulerage
12-22-2017, 09:43 PM
All this talk of performing Deep Cuts reminds me that I still want to hear "Where Is Everybody?".

piggy
12-22-2017, 09:45 PM
Somewhat Damaged is the theme where I'm at right now with the damn holiday season. It's getting harder to deal with every year.

every one i know goes away in the end
You OK, dude? Stay positive, please.

chuckrh
12-23-2017, 01:52 AM
You OK, dude? Stay positive, please.
thanks. i'm living a pretty tortured existence because a severe medical issue. all of my joints are slowly being destroyed by RA. i've been fighting it a long time & this year has had a severe decline. the holiday season is like throwing a geometric progression on it. some of the drugs they give me turn off my immune system & i've been sick for 3 months with pneumonia/sinus infection etc on top of the normal crap i live with. past few years i've gone to vegas @ xmas to hide out. this year, not well enough. i went down there in october for the nin show with pneumonia. glad i went to show but got sicker after the show & the trip wasn't good. right now, looks like i have to do some severe spine surgery early 2018. risky but the RA is attacking my spine & something needs to be done. the spine stuff is pretty recent development. after that, it appears i'm going to have to retire on disability. that's been on the table for over 5 years but i had fought to keep going. i'm losing that now. so ya, i'm pretty depressed. RA isn't cancer but the version i have is pretty damn close. i have to do cancer drugs just to try & slow it down. its a long & torturous ride. do appreciate your concern.

sweeterthan
12-23-2017, 07:18 AM
thanks. i'm living a pretty tortured existence because a severe medical issue. all of my joints are slowly being destroyed by RA. i've been fighting it a long time & this year has had a severe decline. the holiday season is like throwing a geometric progression on it. some of the drugs they give me turn off my immune system & i've been sick for 3 months with pneumonia/sinus infection etc on top of the normal crap i live with. past few years i've gone to vegas @ xmas to hide out. this year, not well enough. i went down there in october for the nin show with pneumonia. glad i went to show but got sicker after the show & the trip wasn't good. right now, looks like i have to do some severe spine surgery early 2018. risky but the RA is attacking my spine & something needs to be done. the spine stuff is pretty recent development. after that, it appears i'm going to have to retire on disability. that's been on the table for over 5 years but i had fought to keep going. i'm losing that now. so ya, i'm pretty depressed. RA isn't cancer but the version i have is pretty damn close. i have to do cancer drugs just to try & slow it down. its a long & torturous ride. do appreciate your concern.

I’m so sorry to read that you are dealing with so much. I went to that Vegas show too and it was a great show. I’m glad we got to see it. Here’s hoping you get solutions and healing in 2018. ❤️

chuckrh
12-23-2017, 02:47 PM
watching live beside you in time for first time in quite awhile. what a great tour that was. the production was phenomenal. i must say though that i really prefer the current live band. stripped down & dirty. it looks like another year of mainly festival gigs. would much rather see an arena/theater tour. the festival thing is a smart move though. most of the production costs are covered & publicity, etc. iggy pop has made plenty of hay touring like that. makes more sense for him though since he is getting up there in age. trent is still plenty young. maybe he is waiting until he gets a whole new album out before committing to a full on headline tour.

piggy
12-23-2017, 04:18 PM
Yeah, I remember seeing something elsewhere on this forum about your medical stuff. Sorry about that. I do understand physical pain and depression all too well, but I don't pretend to know what you're dealing with. I wish you the best of luck with whatever progress you and your doctors can make.

chuckrh
12-23-2017, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I remember seeing something elsewhere on this forum about your medical stuff. Sorry about that. I do understand physical pain and depression all too well, but I don't pretend to know what you're dealing with. I wish you the best of luck with whatever progress you and your doctors can make.
sorry to be redundant. not on my game. someone asked. on way to holiday dinner couldn't get out of or i'd catch hell for a year. the good part is can play with the 1 year old grandson who seems to like me. i'm usually good with little kids. its the adults that are problematic, haha. thanks for your comment.

piggy
12-23-2017, 06:20 PM
Oh no, you're not being redundant, I was just recalling that I had seen something. I didn't mind getting a better picture of what you're going through.

sick among the pure
12-25-2017, 12:25 PM
Now that xmas is over I know what's safe to buy myself off store.nin.com
Got a nice heavy beanie that I might get that long skinny Add Violence patch for, too.

piggy
12-25-2017, 10:22 PM
I was driving home from my best friend's house a few nights ago and I had NTAE playing in my car. I realized that "She's Gone Away" has such a super warm analog sound to it. The production has such a thick, meaty quality that makes it feel like more like a nice old vinyl than a CD or digital file. Such a great song. One of my new favorites.

jmtd
12-26-2017, 01:30 PM
Thinking of springing for Broken now that U.K. Retailers are selling the new vinyl for 30% less than the NIN store. I already have it but not that sweet 7".

Must be in a spendy mood; picked up a copy of ghosts deluxe finally after nearly 10 years!

fillow
12-27-2017, 03:45 AM
http://c2n.me/3QG9UKn.png

This was completely unintentional, I swear

Kulerage
12-27-2017, 02:28 PM
"The Great Below" is one of the best songs ever written.

mfte
12-27-2017, 04:49 PM

Definitely one of the best NIN songs ever written. It's right up there with Hurt, Something I Can Never Have as far as "that type of song" goes. I am not sure why it doesn't get played at shows.
First time I saw them live was on the fragility tour. They played this song and it was entirely epic. The upside down body diving into the water on the 3 screens as the songs hit the climax...Masterful.

snichols
12-27-2017, 05:29 PM
that is one of my favorite parts from the live DVD.

Bachy
12-27-2017, 05:38 PM
“Memorabilia” would work so perfectly with the current tour setlist.

Bachy
12-27-2017, 08:54 PM
If Trent ever decided to substitute ”Closer” with “Closer to God” for a live show, I’d probably lose my shit (just like an animal).

seasonsinthesky
12-28-2017, 09:57 AM
If Trent ever decided to substitute ”Closer” with “Closer to God” for a live show, I’d probably lose my shit (just like an animal).

He did! In 1995. If only it lasted longer.

sheepdean
12-28-2017, 11:38 AM
Same but Eraser (Polite)

quietime
12-28-2017, 02:38 PM

He did! In 1995. If only it lasted longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyw0B1hc-fI

botley
12-28-2017, 11:51 PM
^That is dope as fuck!

Going back to random collaboration/guest appearances, "Madame X" off of Robbie Robertson's last album (with TR jamming on moody synths, and Pino Palladino kicking ass while Clapton solos over top) is such a cool jam.

cashpiles (closed)
12-29-2017, 11:49 PM
I feel like Trent Reznor is part of my family... Like some uncle I never get to see in person, but who is a famous music star.

I’ve never told anyone this, but I send Trent a Christmas card each year... I don’t have his exact address, so I just write an address that’s close to where I think he lives in the hopes that the person who receives the card will know where Trent lives and deliver it to him.

Trent, I hope you check out the link I wrote down in the card. I spent a lot of time writing that song for you.... and yes I really do enjoy eating a Snickers bar when I listen to Eraser.

Hyperpower
12-30-2017, 01:49 AM
Someone mentioned Bowie's tour in which he played deep cuts in the tour discussion section, now is it far fetched to think TR would make a similar choice?

BenAkenobi
12-30-2017, 06:08 AM
Someone mentioned Bowie's tour in which he played deep cuts in the tour discussion section, now is it far fetched to think TR would make a similar choice?

I think it mostly depends on what Trent considers a "deep cut" nowadays. Would you take for a deep cut, say, The Wretched, Only or Piggy? Or do you want something unplayed like Perfect Drug or Ten Miles High or Zoo Station? They could bust out Discipline for all we know. It'll be a worthy show anyhow, i'll guess...

fillow
12-30-2017, 08:07 AM
I was the one who made that comparison. And now, looking back, I thinks it's rather unfair comparison. Bowie had 22 albums of music released before Outside tour and dozens of songs never played live of not played for 15 or 20 years. Nine Inch Nails are nowhere near to these numbers.

buckaroo
12-30-2017, 09:16 AM
^That is dope as fuck!

As much as I loved this in the set during that tour I think the current lineup and show would be great for bringing this version back. It would sound really great with She’s Gone Away, Reptile, The Great Destroyer, Burning Bright, etc. Plus I think it would work better than the album version with the stripped down stage setup.

Also, I have never liked the Only Time break-down they added. I would much rather they just play that song.

While I’m at it... I also wish they would play the album version of March of the Pigs and drop the “all lined up” section. It was cool for a while, but now I think the song would have more impact in the set to end at the normal spot and just lead into something like Wish.

s e n d
12-30-2017, 07:53 PM

Such a beautiful song. It's one of those songs that I think becomes a gem for a new nin listener when they come across it and study it. I was revisiting Radiohead's Hail to the Thief last night and I couldn't get over how great A Wolf at the Door is, which is the last song on that album. It reminded me of the kind of feeling I get when i listen to The Great Below in the sense of mastery and beauty - not so much the context or meaning of what the song could mean. It made me think that it was moments like that, which make listening to music so magical.

Kulerage
12-31-2017, 10:41 PM
I was the one who made that comparison. And now, looking back, I thinks it's rather unfair comparison. Bowie had 22 albums of music released before Outside tour and dozens of songs never played live of not played for 15 or 20 years. Nine Inch Nails are nowhere near to these numbers.
I dunno. Some PHE-era songs haven't been performed since the tour meant to promote them. Be cool to bring them back in the vein of 2013 "Sanctified".

bryan_NIN65
12-31-2017, 11:03 PM
I dunno. Some PHE-era songs haven't been performed since the tour meant to promote them. Be cool to bring them back in the vein of 2013 "Sanctified".

I really , really need to hear the only time live!!! I also love kinda I want to and that's what I get. I feel lucky that I have seen half of the album live but still have not gotten down in it yet either. Wait who am I kidding I would love ring finger too, I love PHM

blassster
01-01-2018, 04:47 PM
Watching Die Hard right now, haven't seen it since mid 00s. I had a WTF+laughter moment when the security guard/desk clerk gets killed, they used his yelp in the opening to Black History Month on Niggy Tartdust.

Conveniently, the scene shows up first in this compilation video:
https://youtu.be/Vr6DQEv0J2I

GibbonBlack
01-01-2018, 05:52 PM
Watching Die Hard right now, haven't seen it since mid 00s. I had a WTF+laughter moment when the security guard/desk clerk gets killed, they used his yelp in the opening to Black History Month on Niggy Tartdust.

Conveniently, the scene shows up first in this compilation video:
https://youtu.be/Vr6DQEv0J2I

That's amazing!

chuckrh
01-01-2018, 06:39 PM
NIN is the perfect band for these times. Possible end of days....

Detunez
01-02-2018, 02:28 PM
Nine Inch Nails have put themselves back on the radar, in a way. During halloween a Belgian television station used The Perfect Drug for a horror movie trailer compilation. And yesterday i was randomly watching a German television station and there they were using music from the new Nine Inch Nails albums for some compilation video's.

Bachy
01-03-2018, 11:24 PM
I absolutely love “Suck,” but I wish Trent had written it later in his career. The track is wonderful, but there’s so much more that can be done to it.

Ribbitman
01-04-2018, 05:25 AM
The Background World going straight into Burning Bright sounds fucking amazing. All of that static going straight into the heaviness of Burning Bright

sweeterthan
01-04-2018, 07:57 AM
I absolutely love “Suck,” but I wish Trent had written it later in his career. The track is wonderful, but there’s so much more that can be done to it.

Like what? The nin version is a sonic master piece. I can’t imagine it being different. Headphones and that song are the best.

eversonpoe
01-04-2018, 09:02 AM

Like what? The nin version is a sonic master piece. I can’t imagine it being different. Headphones and that song are the best.

it's vastly improved compared to the original version (which is fairly boring, honestly). suck is one of my fav songs trent ever had a hand in writing and the NIN version is fucking phenomenal. the live iteration on AATCHB is particularly fetching.

Dr Channard
01-04-2018, 11:43 AM

Oh, but the brilliance of it all is that he made good on it later in his career,

“…I want to do terrible things to you”

Nearly 25 years later it lands when he ships fans an EP packaged with soot that gets everywhere when opening. Followed by another EP that has fans ripping their dicks off in rage because of distribution issues. Trent, in it for the long game.

BRoswell
01-04-2018, 04:57 PM
So it looks like Jimmy Iovine is leaving Apple. Since he was the one that brought Trent on board for Apple Music, I wonder if Trent will be leaving as well.

sheepdean
01-04-2018, 05:01 PM
So it looks like Jimmy Iovine is leaving Apple. Since he was the one that brought Trent on board for Apple Music, I wonder if Trent will be leaving as well.
Iovine's stock is about to become actually usable and that's why he's jumping. I doubt there's any connection, Iovine didn't really have a job at Apple beyond being the "industry guy".

Also, dude's in his mid 60s, maybe he just wants to retire with Atticus' sister. Who he's married to

somewhat_
01-04-2018, 05:26 PM

Are we sure TR hasn’t already left?

WorzelG
01-07-2018, 03:20 AM
I really like this new Justin Timberlake single, Filthy. I’m reading comments on twitter that it reminds them of Closer
https://youtu.be/gA-NDZb29I4

BRoswell
01-07-2018, 10:42 AM
I’m reading comments on twitter that it reminds them of Closer
https://youtu.be/gA-NDZb29I4

I think the only comparison to make is that Mark Romanek directed both music videos. :p

mfte
01-07-2018, 01:41 PM
y'all remember Mark Onofrio?

katara
01-07-2018, 02:18 PM
The comparison to Closer is ludicrous. Lyrics are shockingly bad. I have no idea what the song is even about, and that's after looking up the lyrics (some arrogant loser trying to seduce?). The chorus melody seems ripped from a '90s boy band. The only good thing I can say about it is that it has a beat, but that's it. Without the Very Expensive video, it would be nothing. Shit wrapped in silver foil.

BRoswell
01-07-2018, 05:13 PM
It's funny how some of "the hits" have taken on a sense of relevancy (and potency) again in light of current events. Head Like A Hole came on while I had my music on shuffle, and it suddenly felt as fresh as it probably did when it first came out. I was feeling every beat and every word as if it was the first time I had heard it. A very bizarre but great experience.

wizfan
01-11-2018, 06:22 PM
TIL that NIN have played a show in Tommy Wiseau's birthplace. (http://ninlive.com/shows/2009/20090623.html)

Oh, and ninlive? The correct town name is "Poznan", please fix it.

eversonpoe
01-11-2018, 11:54 PM
TIL that NIN have played a show in Tommy Wiseau's birthplace. (http://ninlive.com/shows/2009/20090623.html)

Oh, and @ninlive (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1141) ? The correct town name is "Poznan", please fix it.

tommy wiseau is polish??? that really doesn't explain his accent at all...

ninlive
01-12-2018, 01:33 PM
Oh, and @ninlive (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1141) ? The correct town name is "Poznan", please fix it.

Typo. and fixed.

implanted_microchip
01-12-2018, 09:53 PM
Still is so amazing. I never burn out on it, never play it too frequently and every time I revisit it I come away with a stronger appreciation for what they did on it. Usually "band does a bonus disc for something" amounts to a couple of interesting obscurities and nothing more, and then Trent goes and releases what's basically another album with versions of old songs so different that they feel totally new, and it's relegated to a special edition of a CD version of a DVD. It's amazing. I'm really looking forward to when we get the vinyl version of it in 2058.

Also, Trent's vocal delivery on And All That Could Have Been is one of his best studio performances ever. Those lyrics could feel cheesy or melodramatic so easily but he nails it and makes it feel so genuine and raw. The live versions of Something I Can Never Have and The Becoming on it are also all-time bests. For an album that's half instrumental it's got potentially the best vocals the man's ever delivered.

GibbonBlack
01-13-2018, 04:46 AM

One of my bosses is Polish and I hear little Wiseau twangs in his accent all the time!

Microwave Jellyfish
01-13-2018, 03:35 PM
Almost managed to lose my brand new Deviations vinyl at ASDA today. My mind must have been elsewhere when I put it down while packing my groceries at the self-checkout lane and I just fucking went home without it. Luckily the store is just about a ten minute walk from my place (less than three if you're running for all you are worth), and they had it safe and sound at costumer service. Since it still had the price tag on I had to endure some looks and obvious wisdom about £62 being a lot of money to lose like this, but by then I was smiling to myself thinking of the Sandbag/Firebrand threads. They have no idea.

Dryalex12
01-13-2018, 07:47 PM

And Slash is British but sounds nothing like it. Accents can be weird...but it does change if you live in a place for a long enough time

Bachy
01-14-2018, 06:13 PM
Was just listening to 32 Ghosts IV. Jesus Christ, that bass in the final 1:30 is fucking phenomenal.

Kulerage
01-14-2018, 09:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8n78hRFSew
I said this before and I'll say it again:

I'm disappointed that he didn't bring up the harsh distorted ending of the song, where those power chords come in out of nowhere and proceed to linger on for a minute and a half.

Kulerage
01-14-2018, 09:49 PM
Still is so amazing. I never burn out on it, never play it too frequently and every time I revisit it I come away with a stronger appreciation for what they did on it. Usually "band does a bonus disc for something" amounts to a couple of interesting obscurities and nothing more, and then Trent goes and releases what's basically another album with versions of old songs so different that they feel totally new, and it's relegated to a special edition of a CD version of a DVD. It's amazing. I'm really looking forward to when we get the vinyl version of it in 2058.

Also, Trent's vocal delivery on And All That Could Have Been is one of his best studio performances ever. Those lyrics could feel cheesy or melodramatic so easily but he nails it and makes it feel so genuine and raw. The live versions of Something I Can Never Have and The Becoming on it are also all-time bests. For an album that's half instrumental it's got potentially the best vocals the man's ever delivered.

Leaving Hope is definitely one of the best closing songs as well. I'll never forget how that song first made me feel

Kulerage
01-16-2018, 02:57 PM
Happy 50th Atticus!

thevoid99
01-16-2018, 08:11 PM
That person who is harassing Trent and his kids is a DEAD MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!

blassster
01-19-2018, 02:29 PM
Imagine nin doing an original Christmas song just to fuck with people

Sister Midnight
01-19-2018, 02:51 PM
Imagine nin doing an original Christmas song just to fuck with people

I always thought Marilyn Manson missed the mark by not doing a Christmas album. It would be fucking hilarious classic christmas carols fucked with by the stylings of Manson. I see NIN doing a White Christmas instrumental in a brooding uneasy fashion.

BRoswell
01-19-2018, 02:53 PM
Trent & Atticus already did their Christmas album. It's called The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo OST. :p

Vukmirion
01-19-2018, 05:10 PM
I'd really like to see NIN going into jazz territory and experimenting with jazz/industrial mix, maybe something like Bowie's Blackstar but harsher and noisier.

Kulerage
01-19-2018, 10:17 PM
Piggy was pretty jazzy, and W.I.S.H. has that saxophone ending. Be cool if he expanded on it

fillow
01-20-2018, 01:42 AM
two words: Driver Down

kel
01-20-2018, 06:26 AM
man, no matter how long i've been here or how long i've been a nin fan, the fucking acronyms used totally escape me. is "W.I.S.H." not "wish"? ugh.

edit: got it, but do we really need to do that? it's so obnoxious.

sweeterthan
01-20-2018, 06:38 AM
man, no matter how long i've been here or how long i've been a nin fan, the fucking acronyms used totally escape me. is "W.I.S.H." not "wish"? ugh.

Nin fans have been doing it for years. Since dboard.
Probably even before that.

kel
01-20-2018, 06:55 AM
Nin fans have been doing it for years. Since dboard.
Probably even before that.

i know. i've been around since the sls days. it's always been annoying.

sheepdean
01-20-2018, 06:24 PM

LINE and The Line are both on WT, which also has WT

Although, I do love one of the newer ones as it kinda can be read like the song, HEINOK (Hey, no-k)

sick among the pure
01-20-2018, 06:51 PM
My favorite is still EDIETS (especially when someone posted a link to ediets.com when the single was announced, saying the "lost music video" was up)

Krazy
01-20-2018, 07:56 PM
Every forum I’ve been a part of has this, it’s not just a NIN thing.

And yes, can get annoying at times.

joplinpicasso
01-21-2018, 09:17 AM
The man chose his band name because it looked cool as an acronym. What do you expect at this point?

mauro995
01-21-2018, 12:57 PM
I made a heavier-than-aatchb live album of the Fragile era with some recordings from the NIN Live Archive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW_Ws04Vs_0

Jon
01-21-2018, 04:00 PM
I made a heavier-than-aatchb live album of the Fragile era with some recordings from the NIN Live Archive

Nice. Would it be possible to add source and venue information for the individual tracks, either in the description or as a comment?

For compilations like this, I tend to add "(Live from/in/at xxxx)" for my own sorting purposes.

Kulerage
01-21-2018, 04:15 PM
Jeez, I just used an acronym because it's done often and now this whole ordeal.

On a less argumentative note, that Fragility live thing is cool

mauro995
01-21-2018, 05:18 PM
Nice. Would it be possible to add source and venue information for the individual tracks, either in the description or as a comment?

For compilations like this, I tend to add "(Live from/in/at xxxx)" for my own sorting purposes.
Pinion / The New Flesh and Somewhat Damaged were recorded in London, at the Brixton Academy in December 01, 1999 (this is the only soundboard recording of Somewhat Damaged from this tour I think). The other tracks were recorded in Wiesen, Austria, at the Forestglade Festival in July 08, 2000.
I edited de audio to make it flow like it was only one show. I also edited the encore gap between Starfuckers and Hurt and remastered the whole thing.

sweeterthan
01-21-2018, 05:37 PM

Can I share this on the hotline social accounts?

mauro995
01-21-2018, 06:23 PM
Can I share this on the hotline social accounts?

Yes, of course!

sweeterthan
01-22-2018, 11:12 AM
Yes, of course!
Posted. Thanks so much.

(http://https://twitter.com/ninhotline/status/955487304348561408)https://twitter.com/ninhotline/status/955487304348561408 (https://twitter.com/ninhotline/status/955487304348561408)

(http://https://www.facebook.com/ninhotline/posts/1798309500193530?notif_id=1516640894798434)https://www.facebook.com/ninhotline/posts/1798309500193530?notif_id=1516640894798434&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic

Bachy
01-22-2018, 11:21 AM
I’m Jesus fucked on ecstasy.

ninlive
01-22-2018, 11:55 AM
There is another board feed I’m trying to get from these Europe shows. But it’s been a long and patient waiting game. Since like 2013. Emails can go unanswered for months with sporadic replies. So here’s to hoping 2018 is the year!

Thanks for sharing this! I posted it to ninlive as well and RT’d. :)

joplinpicasso
01-22-2018, 01:58 PM

Sometimes I think I've had my fill of live, recorded goodies, and then I remember I'm a NIN fan and part of an awesome fan community. Thank you! Listening now at work.

Blackbookpress1984
01-24-2018, 12:29 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100229842107017&set=a.544323410007.2055614.64602812&type=3&theaterhttps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100229842107017&set=a.544323410007.2055614.64602812&type=3&theaterhttps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100229842107017&set=a.544323410007.2055614.64602812&type=3&theater

ninjaw
01-24-2018, 12:44 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100229842107017&set=a.544323410007.2055614.64602812&type=3&theaterhttps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100229842107017&set=a.544323410007.2055614.64602812&type=3&theaterhttps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100229842107017&set=a.544323410007.2055614.64602812&type=3&theater

unavalaible

sonic_discord
01-24-2018, 12:46 PM

Yeah, doesn't work. What was the photo of??

Hyperpower
01-27-2018, 04:49 PM
was just thinking about how cool it would be to get official releases of live versions of each of the main albums, this coming to mind after someone compiled The Fragile live and yes some of it is great... but some of the audio isn't the greatest.
yeah...probably wishful thinking :(

sheepdean
01-27-2018, 05:45 PM
was just thinking about how cool it would be to get official releases of live versions of each of the main albums, this coming to mind after someone compiled The Fragile live and yes some of it is great... but some of the audio isn't the greatest.
yeah...probably wishful thinking :(
We'd have trouble with Fragile onwards, only PHM, Broken and TDS have had every single track played live (With Teeth almost counts)

And actually, couldn't do Purest Feeling either, as there's no recording of the title track, if it was ever played

Kulerage
01-29-2018, 09:19 PM
White Mask sounds a lot like I'm Looking Forward to.... similar percussion, primarily bass driven. Be cool to have the two played together

johnbron
01-31-2018, 07:50 PM
Q: What's Trent Reznor's porn name?
A: Steven Deeper

BRoswell
01-31-2018, 08:00 PM
Q: What's Trent Reznor's porn name?
A: Steven Deeper

*rimshot*

Or should that be rimjob?

01-31-2018, 09:31 PM
Having seen a ton of Beck live shows over the years, its amazing how different Justin's stage mannerisms were in NIN compared to Beck...With NIN, JMJ would stand like a statue and barely get into it. With Beck, he is running around the stage, goofing off and dancing on stage with Beck during the more upbeat songs, jumping all over the place and having the time of his life...Maybe he figured he had to be more serious with NIN

TheBang
01-31-2018, 10:44 PM
With NIN, JMJ would stand like a statue and barely get into it.
I'm sorry, did you confuse JMJ with Jeordie White?

Edit: Not even kidding. I saw 2 shows with Jeordie, and one of them, I was at the rail on his side of the stage. I took this photo which is literally how it was for most of the night:

https://www.bangerter.org/todd/nin/DSCF0378.jpg

bobbie solo
02-01-2018, 02:19 AM
Having seen a ton of Beck live shows over the years, its amazing how different Justin's stage mannerisms were in NIN compared to Beck...With NIN, JMJ would stand like a statue and barely get into it. With Beck, he is running around the stage, goofing off and dancing on stage with Beck during the more upbeat songs, jumping all over the place and having the time of his life...Maybe he figured he had to be more serious with NIN

::cynical joke about Scientology bringing the two of them together in bliss::

streetman
02-01-2018, 02:22 AM
I'm sorry, did you confuse JMJ with Jeordie White?

Edit: Not even kidding. I saw 2 shows with Jeordie, and one of them, I was at the rail on his side of the stage. I took this photo which is literally how it was for most of the night:

https://www.bangerter.org/todd/nin/DSCF0378.jpg

How did Trent even allow him to get this gig?

WorzelG
02-01-2018, 03:20 AM
I saw JMJ with NIN at the 02 in London the night Gary Numan joined them onstage for Metal and Cars. He was totally into it all night, he’s always seemed into it from the LITS footage, maybe it took him a while to get into it and he was less animated at the beginning ? I don’t know

joplinpicasso
02-01-2018, 12:54 PM
I very much enjoy the live ending of The Mark Has Been Made. It feels more cathartic (as it's functioning as its own song and not a segue on an album like The Fragile), and almost more tribal, with TR's vocals soaring over. Hmmph.

Hyperpower
02-01-2018, 01:23 PM
We'd have trouble with Fragile onwards, only PHM, Broken and TDS have had every single track played live (With Teeth almost counts)

And actually, couldn't do Purest Feeling either, as there's no recording of the title track, if it was ever played

yes, i was aware of this, my post was just more a comment on how awesome it would be to the main albums (PHM, TDS, TF, YZ, HM) with an official live release.
alot of us enjoy the live versions of so many of these tracks and yeah, mostly it was a wishful thinking comment from me.

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-01-2018, 04:13 PM
I had a dream last night that I walked out of the record store with reissues of With teeth, YZ, The Slip, and YZR.

A dude can dream. I think the last time I saw a copy of YZR on vinyl it was around $70-80. Ehhh...

eversonpoe
02-01-2018, 05:46 PM
I had a dream last night that I walked out of the record store with reissues of With teeth, YZ, The Slip, and YZR.

A dude can dream. I think the last time I saw a copy of YZR on vinyl it was around $70-80. Ehhh...

i sold my original pressing (which was unplayed) a couple years ago to someone on here (can't remember who) because i never really got into the album. literally a week after i sold it, i listened to it (digitally) and realized i liked it more than i thought. no regerts, right? :/ needless to say i'm glad it's getting the DE treatment.

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-01-2018, 06:03 PM
i sold my original pressing (which was unplayed) a couple years ago to someone on here (can't remember who) because i never really got into the album. literally a week after i sold it, i listened to it (digitally) and realized i liked it more than i thought. no regerts, right? :/ needless to say i'm glad it's getting the DE treatment.

Wait, YZR IS getting a DE release?? I thought my brain made that part up.

I was kinda the same way, though! Sans owning a vinyl copy. It took a long time for that album to warm up to me, but now even the "Me, I'm Not" remix occasionally gets some play. I don't think there's a remix on there that I just DON'T like.

BRoswell
02-01-2018, 06:18 PM
It's only Year Zero that's getting the deluxe vinyl treatment.

02-01-2018, 09:07 PM
my ex gf has an original 1989 vinyl pressing of Pretty Hate Machine...mint condition...should have stolen it from her after we broke up

kel
02-01-2018, 09:19 PM
i had one, too. and i paid like ten bucks for it brand new at a tiny record shop in boise in 1997. but i played the shit out of it on this giant 1970's tv/record player/8-track/radio behemoth. it was the size of a tank, but sounded fucking awesome. i think i sold it for a dime bag, can't remember.

hindsight, y'all.

SM Rollinger
02-01-2018, 09:27 PM
the only nin thing i ever sold, and i regret to this day, was my white fragility 2.0 tour shirt

kel
02-01-2018, 09:42 PM
i sold my entire collection in one giant ebay sale for pennies on the dollar about ten years ago when i was buying a house. i needed to simplify (quickly) and every penny counted, but i got screwed. every halo up to that point, including several duplicates (two of all three witt singles, among MANY). tour booklets, vhs bootlegs (broken, an early video collection, a very early show in dallas), phm/broken/tds/tf/MULTIPLE cassette singles, several magazines ... ugh, just thinking about this makes me sick. the guy who won the auction was like "hey, i can tell you are a big fan and i plan on flipping things individually and will pay it forward with you."

of course i never heard from him. you on here somewhere, dude? :/

"it's just stuff," i said to myself. sigh.

Jon
02-02-2018, 08:42 AM
the only nin thing i ever sold, and i regret to this day, was my white fragility 2.0 tour shirt

I bought that one and the "Where The Fuck Were You?" tour shirt at the UIC Pavilion show. Ended up leaving the white one underneath my seat (section 108, still remember).

I've never sold anything NIN-related, but I have given stuff away. I hope to never have to sell, to be honest.

sonic_discord
02-02-2018, 11:37 AM
Never sold anything, but some of the items in my collection I wish I had kept in better condition. Most of the CDs I own (including some rare bootlegs/imports) I kept in a big CD wallet and they got scratched up, ink worn off, disc rot, etc. A (very clumsy) friend of mine stepped on the case for Closure when it was sitting on the floor by the TV without the tapes inside of it, so that got a little ripped. I have a German import of The Fragile vinyl (with Nothing logos on the LP sleeves) that has never been played, but has some shelf wear even though it's been in a box the entire time I've owned it.

onthewall2983
02-02-2018, 10:01 PM
Listening to iPod on random tonight and somehow "Find My Way" on right after Phil Collins' 1998 cover of "True Colors" works.

chuckrh
02-04-2018, 04:42 PM
I watched an onstage vid of "I'm Afraid of Americans" from Toronto 2009 today. 4 piece band. Sounded pretty f'n good to me. Said NIN opened for Jane's Addiction that show. What a mismatch that had to be! Always found Jane's to be extremely overrated, in particular Perry Farrell. I would've left after NIN. The only time I saw Jane's when they were like good was Lollapalooza 1 (we didn't get NIN here). Think the level of "attitude adjustment" had something to do with that. Every other time I've seen them they've been mediocre to terrible. Another time Pixies circa Doolittle (Primus 3rd bill) utterly destroyed Jane's. It wasn't even close. I got sidetracked. Even in 2009, WTF were promoters thinking not having NIN headline over Jane's? Ilan Rubin is totally mighty in this clip. He's become 1 of my favorite drummers & Robin is awesome, too.

neorev
02-04-2018, 05:54 PM
chuckrh
When I went to Jones Beach stop of the NINJA tour, I was with several people and we all left after NIN finished before Janes Addiction came on. We were there for NIN.

bobbie solo
02-05-2018, 01:58 AM
Trent had NIN "open" for Jane's on that tour strictly out of respect for the band, as he is a huge fan. No other reason. Everyone knew who the real headliner was, and who the majority of fans were there to see.

Sister Midnight
02-05-2018, 03:16 AM
I stayed and watch Jane's Addiction, they were great but in hindsight NIN was fucking awesome, the set-lists NIN did during the NINJA tour were great they were pulling out songs I never thought they would play. I wish (in future tours) that Trent would do more unexpected shows like the NINJA tour, with unpredictable set-lists.

joplinpicasso
02-05-2018, 09:17 AM
The decomposing fox used in the Hurt video is seen in the last 30 seconds of this (awful) SNL sketch. I didn't realize the fox footage was in color!

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/dinner-discussion/3658057?snl=1

Your loss! I thought the skit was funny (especially because I live through it sometimes). Nice catch on the fox.

katara
02-05-2018, 03:16 PM
Went to the London, UK show and Jane's Addiction played before NIN. Not being a fan of the band, it was incredibly tedious to have to stand through their set. More than that, it was unmemorable. I can recall most gigs I've been to, but not that one. The only thing that does come to mind was how bored I was. Hopefully it never happens again.

Also the NINJA acronym is embarrassing.

EndlessLoveless
02-05-2018, 04:24 PM
JA is a band I loved mid 90s but I just can't dig anymore. Might be all the personalities involved. And yes NINJA is a little ridiculous as an acronym.

thevoid99
02-05-2018, 04:37 PM
JA is a band I loved mid 90s but I just can't dig anymore. Might be all the personalities involved. And yes NINJA is a little ridiculous as an acronym.

I enjoyed the show I went to in Atlanta though I'm baffled into what Perry was using for his vocals though I was happy to see the original line-up. NIN was better of course.

Jane's Addiction from 1986-1991 is the band that I want to remember. What they've become since Strays is a totally different band.

sweeterthan
02-05-2018, 06:03 PM
I enjoyed the show I went to in Atlanta though I'm baffled into what Perry was using for his vocals though I was happy to see the original line-up. NIN was better of course.

Jane's Addiction from 1986-1991 is the band that I want to remember. What they've become since Strays is a totally different band.

That Atlanta show was when the fan club tickets got fucked up. They said go to will call but the tickets were on the other side of venue.