PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

BenAkenobi
05-26-2014, 05:49 AM
I don't know, PHM is quite pleasant to ears and the live versions of the songs are way too aggressive :P

Halo Infinity
05-26-2014, 12:55 PM
Doubtful that anyone was following him in those days, but Trent did say that when they were doing some early touring (probably Lollapalooza in 1991), people who went out and bought the album were disappointed with the somewhat neutered (to their ears) sound of the album as opposed to the way the music was being presented live at that time. So, you see, we NIN fans have been a bunch of butt-hurt malcontents right from the beginning, LOL.
I can't believe that I forgot about that as I've seen the actual interview of him mentioning that before. (I just can't seem to find it again, though.) Thank you for reminding me. Damn, so that truly was the case, and it really didn't take until 1999 for such discord to occur. I suppose this adds more reasons why I shouldn't have ever taken any of those backlashes all that seriously to start with.

(However, I can still be willing to understand what it's like to be disappointed even if there's sometimes still a fine line between valid criticisms and just being butt-hurt with far too many unrealistic expectations. And well, with talent like NIN, it shouldn't be all that surprising to see a tough crowd from time to time to start with, even if that's still a bit of a shitty thing. But oh well, I guess when something gets a lot of love/praise, it's also bound to get a lot of hate/disappointment too.)

PQHooligan
05-27-2014, 12:23 AM
Maybe I've just been watching too much Twin Peaks, but I see a slight similarity between the five note melody in the middle eight of "Reptile" (from 5:13 to 5:21) and the ascending Twin Peaks leitmotif that leads into the climax of "Laura Palmer's Theme".

I'm thrilled to see I'm not the only one who hears that!

Also, I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but Ghosts I -5 could be a 'Man From Another Place' (Dancing Man) outtake

Ryan
05-27-2014, 12:56 AM
I'd like to see a complete NIN lyric sheet with every song filled with profanities TR used in live versions over the years. "This world never give me a chance. Mother fucker gonna have to pay" etc

hey pig
hey mother fucking pig (live)

you promised me
you fu-cking promised meeeeeee (live)

i'm jesus christ on ecstasy
i'm jesus fucked on ecstasy (live)

fillow
05-27-2014, 01:11 AM
your fucking world that is!

Ryan
05-27-2014, 01:15 AM
and your strain it gets under my skin
and you strain it's fuckin under my skin

nothing8
05-27-2014, 03:19 AM
I can't listen to Hurt unless it's following on from me listening to TDS from start to finish. It just doesn't sound right any other way.

sheepdean
05-27-2014, 04:57 AM
I can't listen to Hurt unless it's following on from me listening to TDS from start to finish. It just doesn't sound right any other way.
I feel the same, but I'll happily listen to the superior Hurt (Quiet) whenever.

niggo
05-27-2014, 07:30 AM
I'd like to see a complete NIN lyric sheet with every song filled with profanities TR used in live versions over the years. "This world never give me a chance. Mother fucker gonna have to pay" etc

Also Burn (BYIT version): "This thing inside of me, it screams the loudest, fucking sound"

MacabreMagpie
05-27-2014, 07:55 AM
Just listened to the studio version of "Piggy" for the first time in a while and I was genuinely shocked that "hey motherfucking pig" wasn't actually in the second verse.

GavinCollins420
05-27-2014, 08:01 AM
'Give it to me and I'll fuck it away.'

'Scraped off my fucking knees.'

fillow
05-27-2014, 09:32 AM
You can't fucking take that away from me.

I think you owe me a great fucking apology.
Can this world really be as sad as it fucking seems?

Shut up. So what what the fuck does it matter now.

And your strain. It's fucking under my skin.

fillow
05-27-2014, 09:35 AM
Stick my hands through the cage of this fucking routine
Just some flesh caught in this big fucking machine

^^
although i'm not 100% sure on both accounts

scorpiusdiamond
05-27-2014, 09:54 AM
So much IFP

Kyle
05-27-2014, 11:38 AM
Just listened to the studio version of "Piggy" for the first time in a while and I was genuinely shocked that "hey motherfucking pig" wasn't actually in the second verse.
Whenever I listen to Broken, not hearing the crash on Gave Up during "and the trust I will betray" throws me for a loop.

also Only has the distinction of being the...ahem...only NIN track with less profanities when played live. Even if he adds one somewhere like "your fucking world that is." Iirc the away rehearsal version actually has no profanities at all.

MrSlfDstruct
05-27-2014, 05:10 PM
I would be nice if they revived the old NIN: Access app for this tour. Make an Android version for the Android users as well.

For Christ's sake, yes. Although I asked Rob on Twitter back in December and this was his reply:

It’s dead for now (not available in the app store), we’re transitioning http://nin.com (http://t.co/2DU481Th4T) services & can’t update it for now.

I think they've had a revamp of nin.com and the forums there in the works for the better part of a year so . . . who knows. Maybe it'll be done around the time of the Tension Blu-ray and Fragile reissue. Soon . . .

Halo Infinity
05-27-2014, 05:30 PM
Perhaps this falls more under Random NIN Thoughts, so I thought that I'd post it in this thread.

Does The Fragile and With Teeth seem to be appreciated and loved a lot more in the 2010s than they were in the 2000s?

The Fragile seemed to be liked a lot more at least by the late 2000s, and With Teeth seems to be liked a lot more now than it ever was back in the mid 2000s. However, I'm mostly going by the impression I've received from lurking ETS since 2004. I've seen love for both albums ever since, but they still seemed to be loved a lot more in the 2010s, or at least since the late 2000s.

sick among the pure
05-27-2014, 06:26 PM
For Christ's sake, yes. Although I asked Rob on Twitter back in December and this was his reply:

I think they've had a revamp of nin.com and the forums there in the works for the better part of a year so . . . who knows. Maybe it'll be done around the time of the Tension Blu-ray and Fragile reissue. Soon . . .

Yeah, I was really bummed that by the time I could afford a smart phone, they stopped touring. And then when they came back, the app had died off. So I never got to use it for the community aspect. But that was ~ok~ because at least I could use it to listen to remix.nin.com on the go. Now that it's completely dead, I am a sad.

gorast
05-27-2014, 07:29 PM
Access always seemed so much better compared to a lot of other bands' shitty apps, it's a shame that it's probably going to be dead for a long, long time, if not forever.

ophelia_
05-27-2014, 08:55 PM
Can't stop laughing at this photo because it looks like Rezdog is levitating into the light.

http://imgur.com/gHHpHkN

MrSlfDstruct
05-27-2014, 10:17 PM
Can't stop laughing at this photo because it looks like Rezdog is levitating into the light.

http://imgur.com/gHHpHkN

Wow, he looks like he's shopped into the photo.

Charmingly Miserable
05-27-2014, 10:22 PM

Eat your heart out, David Blaine.

Rubeninphoenix
05-28-2014, 12:24 AM

I think they've had a revamp of nin.com and the forums there in the works for the better part of a year so . . . who knows. Maybe it'll be done around the time of the Tension Blu-ray and Fragile reissue. Soon . . . Yeah nin.com has been undergoing a massive facelift but now it seems more like tumblr than anything. As for the forums, they are really dead. Only a few active posters remain. I feel they're gonna get killed off in the final process of the new nin.com sadly.

Yeah, I was really bummed that by the time I could afford a smart phone, they stopped touring. And then when they came back, the app had died off. So I never got to use it for the community aspect. But that was ~ok~ because at least I could use it to listen to remix.nin.com on the go. Now that it's completely dead, I am a sad.I was lucky enough to use it to track shows that I wasn't at and see the variation in setlists and I will say, the whole chat with people who were actually at the show and those of us sitting on our couches wishing we could be there was really neat.

Access always seemed so much better compared to a lot of other bands' shitty apps, it's a shame that it's probably going to be dead for a long, long time, if not forever. I agree 100% with this. It's truly a shame they didn't bring it back for Tension and it will remain a great idea dead in the water now.

Halo Infinity
05-28-2014, 01:33 AM
Yeah nin.com has been undergoing a massive facelift but now it seems more like tumblr than anything. As for the forums, they are really dead. Only a few active posters remain. I feel they're gonna get killed off in the final process of the new nin.com sadly.
I'm still wondering what would be done with the NIN.com forums, but as of now, deletion definitely seems to be one possibility out of several. It's either that, or NIN.com would actually make an effort to make a new NIN.com forum with updated features that are similar to ETS's. That's all that I've gotten out of it so far. I also miss the way that it used to be as well.

Charmingly Miserable
05-28-2014, 11:13 PM
So, a few days ago, Mariqueen posted something on IG about her not drinking but still will dance at the bar or something like that. I'm not sure if she drank prior to being with Trent but if she did, then that would have meant that she gave that up for Trent to maintain his sobriety. If that is true, she just earned a lot of respect from me.

Ryan
05-28-2014, 11:17 PM
So, a few days ago, Mariqueen posted something on IG about her not drinking but still will dance at the bar or something like that. I'm not sure if she drank prior to being with Trent but if she did, then that would have meant that she gave that up for Trent to maintain his sobriety. If that is true, she just earned a lot of respect from me.

That's devotion right there.

allegro
05-28-2014, 11:27 PM
She used to drink. But maybe she gave it up because she has kids, now?

Charmingly Miserable
05-28-2014, 11:30 PM
I think that it has to do with Trent's sobriety. I mean, I could imagine that it could be easy for someone to fall off the wagon if their partner drank. So, I imagine that Trent told her how much sobriety meant to him and since she loves him and want to make their relationship work, she ditched the alcohol. Martinelli's sparkling cider for everyone!!!!

kel
05-28-2014, 11:39 PM
i hope someone answers that weird question about americans and motivation in the antwerp tour journal soon.

Kyle
05-29-2014, 12:40 AM
She used to drink. But maybe she gave it up because she has kids, now?
Plenty of people with kids drink responsibly.

allegro
05-29-2014, 08:51 AM
Of course! But plenty of people opt to not drink for health reasons after having kids. Q also frequently reports having acupuncture.

eversonpoe
05-29-2014, 09:00 AM

and LOTS of them don't.

butter_hole
05-29-2014, 09:55 PM
Q also frequently reports having acupuncture.
Well, she does live in LA, she's morally obligated to do at least one vaguely spiritual mostly bullshit thing.

allegro
05-29-2014, 10:32 PM
Well, she does live in LA, she's morally obligated to do at least one vaguely spiritual mostly bullshit thing.
It's HOLIIIIIIIIISTIC.

eversonpoe
05-30-2014, 12:09 AM
It's HOLIIIIIIIIISTIC.

i tried to get acupuncture once...i could feel EVERY SINGLE NEEDLE and it was horrible. the worst pain came when he tried to put one in the side of my ear (representative of kidneys/balance) and he barely even touched it to my ear when i screamed in pain and insisted he remove everything and let me leave.

i'm all for holistic treatments but i will never do that again.

/derail thread

back on topic, i really want trent & nick cave to collaborate some day.

Vertigo
05-30-2014, 02:49 AM
Acupuncture's one of the many things I've tried for my ME, the main (only) thing it accomplished was getting me over needle-anxiety.

Elke
05-30-2014, 11:39 AM
One review of NIN's show in Antwerp Wednesday said Reznor looked as scary with a tambourine as a hatchet. Which made me wonder: are there any lumberjack!Trent pictures?

TheBang
05-30-2014, 04:18 PM
One review of NIN's show in Antwerp Wednesday said Reznor looked as scary with a tambourine as a hatchet. Which made me wonder: are there any lumberjack!Trent pictures?
http://i.imgur.com/012h5yL.jpg

Charmingly Miserable
05-30-2014, 04:40 PM
i tried to get acupuncture once...i could feel EVERY SINGLE NEEDLE and it was horrible. the worst pain came when he tried to put one in the side of my ear (representative of kidneys/balance) and he barely even touched it to my ear when i screamed in pain and insisted he remove everything and let me leave.

Acupuncture was one the most trippiest things I've ever done. I honestly thought I was floating in the parking lot afterwards. I can sleep through the electricity that was put through the needles. More please!

I had a YZ & WT morning. It was a good morning.

Fangster_
05-30-2014, 04:50 PM
http://i.imgur.com/012h5yL.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/mvjkwm.jpg

???????

Halo Infinity
05-30-2014, 05:04 PM
The commercials and trailers for The Fragile and Things Falling Apart are still my most favorite ones to watch. It definitely put me into the right mood whenever I was also buying The Fragile as a present for somebody. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4K4r2gxIkU

Vertigo
05-30-2014, 06:03 PM
Ahhhhh, I wish they still did things like that. It really brought Mike Garson's art to life, and felt like the way a music video should, in that it perfectly evoked the mood of the material. Great way to hook in new listeners.

Similar subject, I'd love to see what could happen if a NIN album's cover artist directed the video for the lead single (not a performance video ala Rob's Hand That Feeds, but something building on the album's art style). Or at least had a major part in its concept and design.

implanted_microchip
05-30-2014, 06:32 PM
are there any lumberjack!Trent pictures?

I hope you've seen Dexter:

http://i.imgur.com/l2JxAFb.jpg

GlitchyFlame
05-30-2014, 07:09 PM
not a performance video ala Rob's Hand That Feeds, but something building on the album's art style). Or at least had a major part in its concept and design. While i'm not really the biggest fan of the CBH video, I think that it did a pretty damn good job at making it look like HM's style. The reds are a great example.

Rubeninphoenix
05-30-2014, 07:47 PM
I'm still wondering what would be done with the NIN.com forums, but as of now, deletion definitely seems to be one possibility out of several. It's either that, or NIN.com would actually make an effort to make a new NIN.com forum with updated features that are similar to ETS's. That's all that I've gotten out of it so far. I also miss the way that it used to be as well.
The forums used to be so great. I remember all the activity during NIN/JA but after the Wave Goodbye shows and no news of anything really, they just fizzled out badly. Plus it doesn't help that the forums aren't even linked to on the nin.com homepage which makes me fear for their future tbh.

implanted_microchip
05-30-2014, 08:14 PM
The forums used to be so great. I remember all the activity during NIN/JA but after the Wave Goodbye shows and no news of anything really, they just fizzled out badly. Plus it doesn't help that the forums aren't even linked to on the nin.com homepage which makes me fear for their future tbh.

The last time I remember going there there were like 5 people still posting things and it was all just really basic posts of news with next to no discussion whatsoever, it was mind-blowingly depressing to see, and then there were occasional posts in the site update thread of people wondering if Rob forgot they exist. You could feel the desperation in the air, it's what Chernobyl probably felt like right after evacuation

icecream
05-30-2014, 10:06 PM
Ahhh, those were the days. I was active there till it started to die, then went back when HM and tour was announced. It was so dead, came here instead.

billpulsipher
05-30-2014, 10:21 PM
Trent told me to go fuck myself on that forum after Apple rejected the NIN iphone app and he was ranting all over the forums about it.......It was beautiful

Halo Infinity
05-30-2014, 11:05 PM
It still occurred to me that some parts of Pinion in the Woodstock 1994 video sound like a very small part of Ruiner and Reptile.

piggy
05-30-2014, 11:45 PM
Ahhhhh, I wish they still did things like that. It really brought Mike Garson's David Carson's art to life, and felt like the way a music video should, in that it perfectly evoked the mood of the material. Great way to hook in new listeners.
Fixed that for you.

nooneimportant
05-31-2014, 01:20 AM
Trent told me to go fuck myself

I've been waiting for this day.

gorast
05-31-2014, 01:38 AM
Trent told me to go fuck myself on that forum after Apple rejected the NIN iphone app and he was ranting all over the forums about it.......It was beautiful

What warranted that? Do you remember the chain of posts that led to it? I always love hearing firsthand stories of Trent wrecking someone.

Vertigo
05-31-2014, 03:47 AM
[Carson/Garson] Fixed that for you.

That is probably the 10th time I've gotten those two mixed up in writing. You'd think I'd have learned by now.

nothing8
05-31-2014, 05:00 AM

I've been waiting for this day.

What warranted that? Do you remember the chain of posts that led to it? I always love hearing firsthand stories of Trent wrecking someone.

You're all welcome.

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/lostie888/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2014-05-31-19-32-36-1_zpsc2296040.png

I took the screenshot on my mobile, hopefully it shows up properly.

sweeterthan
05-31-2014, 05:05 AM
You're all welcome.

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/lostie888/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2014-05-31-19-32-36-1_zpsc2296040.png

I took the screenshot on my mobile, hopefully it shows up properly.

Man, those were the good old days.

BenAkenobi
05-31-2014, 05:53 AM
In music shops one always finds Nine inch nails and Nirvana records side by side. Was there ever a comment about this from either band?

nooneimportant
05-31-2014, 06:41 AM
In music shops one always finds Nine inch nails and Nirvana records side by side. Was there ever a comment about this from either band?

I don't know, but I sure do love both.

sheepdean
05-31-2014, 08:43 AM
I think it's called "alphabetical order"

BenAkenobi
05-31-2014, 09:19 AM
You do? How enlightening!
But i'm sure you understood the question, because clearly Trent and Kurt used to compete for same niche, for same "i'm teen and i'm angry at the world" audience. And so happened their stage names are close enough to share same shelf space, i think it's safe to assume there was some talk around it, in some form :)

billpulsipher
05-31-2014, 11:32 AM
you forgot the fact they both fucked Courtney Love too

Inkė
05-31-2014, 12:08 PM
you forgot the fact they both fucked Courtney Love too

That is... completely new to me...

gorast
05-31-2014, 12:24 PM
I thought that was only a rumor because Courtney Love will spew out any shit necessary to stay in the tabloids.

fillow
05-31-2014, 01:55 PM
They both found a usage to the awesome powers of Dave Grohl

Charmingly Miserable
05-31-2014, 06:22 PM
Courtney ruined everything between Trent and Tori. That's my final answer.

gorast
05-31-2014, 08:44 PM
Imagine if Tori was the lead singer of How to Destroy Angels.

That's not meant to be a knock on Mariqueen, before anyone tries that - it's just an interesting what-if scenario.

Charmingly Miserable
05-31-2014, 10:05 PM
I'm all for Tori and Trent, but I just can't imagine it. Then again, I could see Tori as her Pip character (see American Doll Posse era) playing with HTDA.

piggy
05-31-2014, 10:27 PM
TR has stated several times that he and Courtney were nothing more than friends and that any sexual contact she claims to have had with him is all in her imagination.

Charmingly Miserable
05-31-2014, 11:11 PM
Was this before or after Courtney called Trent "three inch nails?" Lol

gorast
06-01-2014, 01:07 AM
I think "And the sky began to scream" would sound gorgeous with Tori's voice. The range of the vocals are well suited to her.

nooneimportant
06-01-2014, 04:15 AM
I honestly wonder if Trent had any interaction with Kurt whatsoever. I feel like Kurt would have liked The Downward Spiral, maybe he did know of it, it released in March 1994 before he died but by that time Kurt was already going down the bad road with his life.

allegro
06-01-2014, 10:24 AM
TR has stated several times that he and Courtney were nothing more than friends and that any sexual contact she claims to have had with him is all in her imagination.

Every NIN fan should read Kennedy's book because it is chock full of hilarious TR stories (and a lot of other really great stories), but cut to 3:50 of the below video. Anybody who used to have even a tiny bit of sympathy for, or defense of, Courtney will walk away with ZERO after Kennedy's book. Whoa. Holy crap. Anyway, yeah, read Kennedy's book. Highly recommended for a walk back through the glory days of 90s MTV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuP6QY4ON8k

Kyle
06-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Every NIN fan should read Kennedy's book because it is chock full of hilarious TR stories (and a lot of other really great stories), but cut to 3:50 of the below video. Anybody who used to have even a tiny bit of sympathy for, or defense of, Courtney will walk away with ZERO after Kennedy's book. Whoa. Holy crap. Anyway, yeah, read Kennedy's book. Highly recommended for a walk back through the glory days of 90s MTV.

Clearly Trent friend zoned Kennedy.

billpulsipher
06-01-2014, 11:52 AM
so the Beats thing turned out to be a major failure. At least TR jumped off the sinking ship and we dont have to listen to him pimp that product like a car salesman anymore

allegro
06-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Clearly Trent friend zoned Kennedy.
No, if you read Kennedy's book, Kennedy stuck to her decision to remain a virgin until she was married. She had zero interest in marrying a rock star. She was pretty athletic and a health nut and never drank. She used to stay at Trent's house (in the same BED!!) whenever she was in L.A., they were just really good friends. She ended up marrying pro snowboarder Dave Lee and they have two daughters.

Vertigo
06-01-2014, 01:34 PM
so the Beats thing turned out to be a major failure. At least TR jumped off the sinking ship and we dont have to listen to him pimp that product like a car salesman anymore

$3 billion is more than most car companies are worth. Jaguar/Land Rover went for $2.3 billion in 2008.

Beats has been ridiculously successful. I hope Trent's taken a paycheque so vast it has to be towed by sauropods.

WorzelG
06-01-2014, 02:34 PM

I've watched a few Kennedy interviews with Trent on youtube and I always like that she isn't at all deferential, she just takes the piss the whole time and he seems to enjoy it!

sick among the pure
06-01-2014, 08:27 PM
Watching the TDS live bootleg, and thinking to myself "you know, if the NIN/SG shows ARE mid 90's nostalgia fests, I really wouldn't mind." Also, that album is fucking made for Robin's guitar work.
Trent really needs to realize minimal lighting and more varied sets in smaller intimate venues are better than big venue awesome visual rigid setlist shows.

hani
06-02-2014, 09:56 AM
guys, trent didn't leave beats at all.

http://pitchfork.com/news/55389-nine-inch-nails-trent-reznor-isnt-leaving-beats-music/

BRoswell
06-02-2014, 03:59 PM

So now that this post turned out to be a major failure... :p

Kyle
06-02-2014, 04:43 PM
It was a major failure the moment he declared a three billion dollar acquisition to be a failure.

Joy Prevention Hotline
06-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Have we reached the point now where we can assume bill's declarations of failure will fail? Would save us the trouble of worrying he might be right, just this once.

howdidislipinto
06-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Have we reached the point now where we can assume bill's declarations of failure will fail? Would save us the trouble of worrying he might be right, just this once.

At this point it's not just fun watching his insane declarations fail, but how FAST they fail.

sheepdean
06-02-2014, 07:44 PM
Okay, let's get Bill to say that there'll never be a Fragile reissue, just so TR announces it tomorrow

piggy
06-03-2014, 06:07 AM
I could swear that the intro of "Ego Death" by A Place To Bury Strangers is sampling the intro of "A Warm Place".

K-Rice
06-03-2014, 01:31 PM
I need this shirt! But they need enough preorders before they actually sell it. http://teespring.com/ndnji

Halo Infinity
06-03-2014, 02:51 PM
This thread got me to think of Year Zero. :p

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2997-Gli%CC%82%CC%91%CC%8A%CD%A8%CD%9B%CC%85%CD%80%CC%B 6%CC%A2%CC%A8%CD%99%CC%B2tches-in-the-March-1st-board-upgr%CC%89%CC%94%CC%BD%CC%BF%CD%8C%CC%85%CC%BE%CD% 8A%CC%BD%CC%88%CC%85%CD%8A%CC%88%CC%81%CC%85%CD%A3 %CC%9B%CC%B6%CC%98%CC%AE%CC%9C%CC%9D%CC%AEade

MrSlfDstruct
06-04-2014, 04:46 PM
I could really go for that Hesitation Marks wallpaper pack sometime soon . . .

gorast
06-04-2014, 05:19 PM
It would be nice for a time to come when someone in the NIN camp announces/mentions something and we all don't go "Well, we'll never see that one either."

implanted_microchip
06-04-2014, 05:27 PM

I could really go for that Tension DVD sometime soon . . .

Microwave Jellyfish
06-04-2014, 08:05 PM
I could really go for that Fragile r... nah, don't wanna beat the dead horse.

MrSlfDstruct
06-04-2014, 09:00 PM

Hey at least, as of less than a week ago, we have some word that this is at least still happening. I think the Hesitation Marks wallpapers will be a bonus download with the Fragile reissue.

Ryan
06-04-2014, 09:13 PM

I could really go for that Fragile r... nah, don't wanna beat the dead horse.

I could really go for that With Teeth "long essay" sometime soon...

I could really go for that funeral procession complete The Day The World Went Away video sometime soon...

I could really go for that Every Day Is Exactly The Same video sometime soon...

I could really go for that Everything video sometime soon...

I could really go for that Broken/Fixed packaged together deluxe edition sometime soon...

I could really go for that collaboration with Gary Numan mentioned in 2009 sometime soon...

I could really go for that "Fragile-heavy" set list that was talked about prior to the current tour commencing sometime soon...

I could really go for that Year Zero TV mini-series sometime soon...

I could really go for an actual proper physical release of Closure sometime soon...

I could really go for a piss sometime soon...

MrSlfDstruct
06-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Wow, when you lay it out like that it seems like Trent doesn't do anything. :D

Ryan
06-04-2014, 09:21 PM

Not only anything, he won't even do Everything! ...Live, at least.

MrSlfDstruct
06-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Not only anything, he won't even do Everything! ...Live, at least.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/8784/smilecakefightwt3.jpg

Ten characters.Tenc

Ryan
06-04-2014, 09:49 PM
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/8784/smilecakefightwt3.jpg

Ten characters.Tenc

http://www.wearingthesechains.com/images/real_spunk.jpg

Halo Infinity
06-04-2014, 10:31 PM
I'd also imagine that NIN fans that became fans around anywhere between 1994-2005 thought and felt around 1996-1998 and 2001-2004, especially when they were just new to NIN. :p

MrSlfDstruct
06-04-2014, 10:34 PM
I'd also imagine that NIN fans that became fans around anywhere between 1994-2005 thought and felt around 1996-1998 and 2001-2004, especially when they were just new to NIN. :p

Not so much, we knew The Fragile was coming, and that was really all that was talked about, and then early '02-'05 was pretty much void of much information at all. Trent's ambition has obviously grown since then . . .

Halo Infinity
06-04-2014, 10:36 PM
And thank goodness for that. 2005-2008 was quite a fun ride for following NIN. :)

Charmingly Miserable
06-05-2014, 12:01 AM
I literally yelled at myself in the car for taking so long to find Into the Void on my iPod today in the car. (Note to self: it's filed under NIN: The Fragile.)

Halo Infinity
06-05-2014, 12:57 AM
The Fragile is still the most comforting Nine Inch Nails album to me so far as a whole. I think it's probably why The Fragile was the first NIN album that really got me into NIN.

botley
06-05-2014, 01:09 AM
I could really go for that With Teeth "long essay" sometime soon...
It was an anti-Bush rant. We got Year Zero instead. Be thankful.

I could really go for that funeral procession complete The Day The World Went Away video sometime soon...

I could really go for that Every Day Is Exactly The Same video sometime soon...

I could really go for that Everything video sometime soon...
None of these were finished becaused they were not what TR had in mind for those songs, so they were cancelled. You want to look at unfinished clips without music under them? Um, why?

I could really go for that Broken/Fixed packaged together deluxe edition sometime soon...
I think this still might happen. In the meantime there are LOTS of different vinyl versions of these releases to collect.

I could really go for that collaboration with Gary Numan mentioned in 2009 sometime soon...
Yes, me too.

I could really go for that "Fragile-heavy" set list that was talked about prior to the current tour commencing sometime soon...
I think this was just a misquote. We already got that with Tension.

I could really go for that Year Zero TV mini-series sometime soon...
TR can't write for TV. It was always an outside chance. I think we'd be a lot cooler on the idea if we as fans had to go through the same amount of process that this idea's creators went through.

I could really go for an actual proper physical release of Closure sometime soon...
Go bug Universal Music.

Ryan
06-05-2014, 01:39 AM
I think this was just a misquote. We already got that with Tension.

I wish it wasn't a misquote and he would realize how many of us would like a 95% Fragile set list. Like, it would please every single person, hardcore or not, the songs are that damn good.

BenAkenobi
06-05-2014, 03:22 AM
... Into the Void ... in the car...

Have you seen Final destination movie? I'm not saying you should, just...

eversonpoe
06-05-2014, 09:16 AM
Have you seen Final destination movie? I'm not saying you should, just...

i always thought it was hilarious that they specifically made sure the part where trent sings "...final destination" played during that scene.

Halo Infinity
06-05-2014, 01:19 PM
I wish it wasn't a misquote and he would realize how many of us would like a 95% Fragile set list. Like, it would please every single person, hardcore or not, the songs are that damn good.
I'd also love that, but also with a lot more Broken and Year Zero in it too. And when I say Broken, I'm talking about more Last, Help Me I Am In Hell, and Happiness In Slavery. :)

dlb
06-05-2014, 01:54 PM
with teeth might be the only album that doesn't translate live very well IMHO. I have the feeling that pretty much all of the tracks feel too punchy and watered down in a live setting missing the finesse and underyling effects that are present on the album (notable exceptions: TLBTB, BYIT and RWIB) mainly because the chorus is too singalong-like. THTF and only are songs that I began to really dislike in a live setting, but listening to the album versions respectively I think both are really great tracks. I love that album but it's the only one that I listen to in its studio incarnation more than the other records.

WorzelG
06-05-2014, 01:56 PM
with teeth might be the only album that doesn't translate live very well IMHO. I have the feeling that pretty much all of the tracks feel too punchy and watered down in a live setting missing the finesse and underyling effects that are present on the album (notable exceptions: TLBTB, BYIT and RWIB) mainly because the chorus is too singalong-like. THTF and only are songs that I began to really dislike in a live setting, but listening to the album versions respectively I think both are really great tracks. I love that album but it's the only one that I listen to in its studio incarnation more than the other records.
All the Love in the World sounded great on the youtube footage from Tension I've seen, Ilan Rubin sounded amazing on the percussion side

dlb
06-05-2014, 01:56 PM
oh yeah, I forgot about that one! Glad they finally pulled it off in 2013 and in such a great way!

Halcyon
06-05-2014, 02:01 PM
Is it just me or does Trent seem like he hasn't been himself since the Tension tour? I saw him at Mountain Oasis last October and he was really short with the audience and didn't look super happy, and then half the band gets fired and the Europe tour is a lot of greatest hits and he refuses streams, photography, etc.

WorzelG
06-05-2014, 03:04 PM
Is it just me or does Trent seem like he hasn't been himself since the Tension tour? I saw him at Mountain Oasis last October and he was really short with the audience and didn't look super happy, and then half the band gets fired and the Europe tour is a lot of greatest hits and he refuses streams, photography, etc.
The thing is, somebody on the oz tour in the tour journal saw sharlotte gibson and lisa fischer at one of the shows, and pino palladino was backstage at the 02 so it's not like he's on bad terms with the old band. Wasn't Mountain Oasis only a short way through the Tension tour?

screwdriver
06-05-2014, 03:13 PM
The thing is, somebody on the oz tour in the tour journal saw sharlotte gibson and lisa fischer at one of the shows, and pino palladino was backstage at the 02 so it's not like he's on bad terms with the old band. Wasn't Mountain Oasis only a short way through the Tension tour?

I would suspect $$$$ probably led to the band scaling back. those peeps could not have been cheap.

BRoswell
06-05-2014, 03:25 PM
There's a big difference between "you're fired" and "I did what I set out to do with this incarnation of the band, you guys are free to go". I'm pretty sure the latter is what happened in regards to the Tension lineup.

Charmingly Miserable
06-05-2014, 10:16 PM
This randomly popped up in my iTunes right now. I kinda forgot about this.

http://youtu.be/Le3ctdQZKDA
Yes, I love witch house.

WorzelG
06-06-2014, 01:28 AM
Every NIN fan should read Kennedy's book because it is chock full of hilarious TR stories (and a lot of other really great stories)

OK I just ordered this book - I checked it out on amazon's look inside thing, and what clinched it was when TR said to her 'do you know where you are?' and she replied 'in the jungle baby' to his annoyance - that made me laugh out loud

Inkė
06-06-2014, 08:45 AM
I just realised All the Love in the World is the only song that opens an album but never opened a show. All the others made it at least once.

fillow
06-06-2014, 08:55 AM
1 Ghosts I disagrees with you

nooneimportant
06-06-2014, 08:58 AM
I wonder if I'm the only person here on ETS who's favorite NIN song is Down In It.

Inkė
06-06-2014, 09:03 AM
1 Ghosts I disagrees with you

Ah, yeah. I can't decide if Ghosts stands as an "album" ;)

BenAkenobi
06-06-2014, 09:23 AM
I wonder if I'm the only person here on ETS who's favorite NIN song is Down In It.

No, you are not

sheepdean
06-06-2014, 09:33 AM
Ah, yeah. I can't decide if Ghosts stands as an "album" ;)
It's more of an album than Broken, at least it doesn't have 90% of its tracks untitled silence.

Halo Infinity
06-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Down In It seems to be generally liked around here, so I'd also doubt it. I'd also love to hear and see more Down In It live too. This clip from Closure always reminds me just how much more I love it live too. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9LH-rr5-Yk

Jordan
06-06-2014, 12:58 PM
It's more of an album than Broken, at least it doesn't have 90% of its tracks untitled silence.

But Broken does have 100% more vocals. Both are great albums.

BenAkenobi
06-06-2014, 01:30 PM
2 out of 8 tracks are vocalless so 75% :)

sheepdean
06-06-2014, 03:12 PM
2 out of 8 tracks are vocalless so 75% :)
93 out of 99, that's 6% of tracks with vocals, barely worth mentioning :P

Vertigo
06-06-2014, 04:35 PM
It's worth pointing out that Ghosts contains the sound of someone breathing, and repeated requests to "get the door", so technically it is a vocal album. Might not be Trent's finest lyrics, admittedly.

Halo Infinity
06-06-2014, 05:19 PM
I think I've thought of this before, but I'm also a bit surprised that I didn't post it any sooner. I've always thought that it would've been sweet if there was some way to have worked Now I'm Nothing with Pinion on Broken, and it would've seemed to have nicely fit into it anyway since it definitely has the Gave Up vibe in it. The mere thought of having the end of Now I'm Nothing disrupted with some static sounds into Pinion would've been awesome, but that's just me.

And speaking of Broken, it seems like I would've related to Broken when it first came out along with Now I'm Nothing. I can still recall feeling that way even as young as ages 6-8.

MrSlfDstruct
06-06-2014, 09:46 PM
I think I've thought of this before, but I'm also a bit surprised that I didn't post it any sooner. I've always thought that it would've been sweet if there was some way to have worked Now I'm Nothing with Pinion on Broken, and it would've seemed to have nicely fit into it anyway since it definitely has the Gave Up vibe in it. The mere thought of having the end of Now I'm Nothing disrupted with some static sounds into Pinion would've been awesome, but that's just me.

And speaking of Broken, it seems like I would've related to Broken when it first came out along with Now I'm Nothing. I can still recall feeling that way even as young as ages 6-8.

Looking at it 20+ years later, I wouldn't care how Now I'm Nothing was released, just to get an official recording from that time.

I could see it working well AFTER Pinion, but not before. You could probably make a pretty smooth transition into Wish from NIN, but then you have basically two intro tracks. Although, if you shortened Pinion a bit, led straight into NIN, shortened the outro for NIN and then led right into Wish, that would probably be pretty cool. It would be a shock to hear now, since it's always been followed by Terrible Lie, so they're almost like one song.

Halo Infinity
06-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Either way could've also worked out for me when it came to Now I'm Nothing being at the beginning of Broken, but I definitely see what you mean there as well.

implanted_microchip
06-07-2014, 08:40 PM
Rob Sheridan looks like the plastic bag kid from American Beauty. Every time I see either that movie or just a pic of Rob I can't help but think it.

kel
06-07-2014, 09:31 PM
he looks annoying.

GlitchyFlame
06-08-2014, 08:19 PM
he looks annoying.

http://www.memecreator.org/static/images/memes/2815957.jpg

MrSlfDstruct
06-08-2014, 09:41 PM
So I joined a NIN group on Facebook, and I kind of see why the generalization of the NIN fan is what it is . . .

I was kind of expecting it to be a Facebook-esque version of ETS, but it's way different.

implanted_microchip
06-08-2014, 10:53 PM
So I joined a NIN group on Facebook, and I kind of see why the generalization of the NIN fan is what it is . . .

I was kind of expecting it to be a Facebook-esque version of ETS, but it's way different.

What exactly is the generalization? Honestly aside from the 90's view of NIN fans I really can't think of a modern generalization.

MrSlfDstruct
06-08-2014, 11:07 PM
What exactly is the generalization? Honestly aside from the 90's view of NIN fans I really can't think of a modern generalization.

The most generalized view that I encounter is that it's people who are generally dissatisfied with life in general, mopey, suicidal, etc. I've been asked by several people, upon finding out NIN is my favorite band, if I like to cut myself. Joking, of course, but I don't think Zeppelin fans get the same question.

There's not much doom and gloom on ETS, so I was kind of surprised to see so much of it over there.

m15a
06-08-2014, 11:26 PM
The most generalized view that I encounter is that it's people who are generally dissatisfied with life in general, mopey, suicidal, etc. I've been asked by several people, upon finding out NIN is my favorite band, if I like to cut myself. Joking, of course, but I don't think Zeppelin fans get the same question.

That sounds sort of like teenagers in general, rather than NIN fans in particular. I wonder if that Facebook group tends towards younger fans for some reason. Don't take that as a criticism of teens, and I (at 33) am not exactly satisfied with "life in general" (who is?). But I am a fan of some groups that have generally younger fans, and I'm talking about mainstream pop music, not "dark" stuff - man, those message boards are really depressing sometimes.

icklekitty
06-09-2014, 06:38 AM

Oh god, all those groups make me want to stab myself in the face. I mainly only see them on my feed if sheepdean comments on one of them. He has the patience of a saint.

sheepdean
06-09-2014, 07:16 AM
I'm in something like 10 of them and they're all full of billpusiphers and the like. But there's also lots of lovely people in there, and more importantly, people who think that "real fans" exist, and who should be shut the fuck down.

sick among the pure
06-09-2014, 07:44 AM
My fiance loves NIN too (our first date, and his first ever concert, was LITS), but he told me he won't go to NIN shows with me anymore because NIN fans are "generally assholes".
And... well... I guess I kinda agree... I love a lot of you guys, and I've met some amazing people at shows.

I am sticking to ETS for my online NIN fan needs.

WorzelG
06-09-2014, 07:58 AM
My fiance loves NIN too (our first date, and his first ever concert, was LITS), but he told me he won't go to NIN shows with me anymore because NIN fans are "generally assholes".
And... well... I guess I kinda agree... I love a lot of you guys, and I've met some amazing people at shows.

I am sticking to ETS for my online NIN fan needs.
Is it really that bad? I can't believe anyone who was a big fan would let others in the audience stop them going, if you're standing especially you can always move to another position.

It changed a bit in the UK, in 1999 at Brixton Academy the audience was particularly devotional, there was a guy running round the balcony with his shirt off and 'I'm Free' written on his chest, bizarre but no real arseholey behaviour from anyone. In 2005 / 2007 there was a definite increased quota of arseholes - I distinctly remember saying to my sister they should have IQ tests handed out that you have to pass before you're allowed in the show. but it's mellowed since then IMO

sick among the pure
06-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Is it really that bad? I can't believe anyone who was a big fan would let others in the audience stop them going, if you're standing especially you can always move to another position.

It changed a bit in the UK, in 1999 at Brixton Academy the audience was particularly devotional, there was a guy running round the balcony with his shirt off and 'I'm Free' written on his chest, bizarre but no real arseholey behaviour from anyone. In 2005 / 2007 there was a definite increased quota of arseholes - I distinctly remember saying to my sister they should have IQ tests handed out that you have to pass before you're allowed in the show. but it's mellowed since then IMO

He's overweight, so he gets heckled a lot, seat or floor.

WorzelG
06-09-2014, 11:44 AM
What? I've never seen people be verbally abused like that at a show. What a shame

WorzelG
06-09-2014, 12:34 PM
I had one of those portable cd players that didn't show number of tracks so I had no idea - it was great when, nearing the end of Broken, my friend and I went to the kitchen to get a cup of tea, and came back to hear You're so Physical playing. It was a real what the fuck moment in the days before Internet, Easter eggs

Sarah K
06-09-2014, 12:35 PM
In Cleveland, some douche was EXTREMELY mad that my "fat ass" wouldn't get out of his way. He kept talking shit, punched me in the back, and pulled my hair a couple of times. But that's the only time I have ever experienced anything like that. I ended up just sticking my ass out EVEN MORE to keep him away. He eventually went elsewhere. Everyone else was behaving like adults. He was the one asshole who was running around, screaming, and hitting people.

slave2thewage
06-09-2014, 01:26 PM
I once got crushed by an extremely large woman at one of the Brixton 2007 shows who proceeded to bitch about me shoving back for air. This was right when the band were playing The Fragile and it was the only time I've ever heard that song live. She needs a slap with a trout.

implanted_microchip
06-09-2014, 04:43 PM
I've had the luck of having had only a great experience with other NIN fans at a show; maybe one of the two I"m going to this year will change my mind, but the Orlando show from last year, at least where I was sitting, was really fantastic. Also, since it was Halloween, almost everyone was dressed up and viewing it as both a NIN show and a big costume party and in general everyone was just in a wonderful mood.
Sarah K : that's fucking ridiculous! No one did anything about the guy?

Sarah K
06-09-2014, 06:13 PM
Not that I know of. He was only behind me for a few minutes before he went elsewhere. Hopefully someone ended up punching him.

Really though, NIN crowds seem to be about the most respectful up-front crowds that I have experienced. But there always has to be one asshole.

sheepdean
06-09-2014, 09:23 PM
Listening to the Japanese tracklisting for TDS, with Dead Souls on, I really think the album is better that way

BRoswell
06-09-2014, 09:33 PM
Listening to the Japanese tracklisting for TDS, with Dead Souls on, I really think the album is better that way

Yeah, while Big Man With A Gun into A Warm Place is a nice, jarring transition, Dead Souls into A Warm Place fits just as well.

Ryan
06-09-2014, 10:11 PM
I love the Illum Tangendo version with vocals so much. Her voice has so much longing in it and sounds so soft and fragile. Fits perfectly.

Kyle
06-09-2014, 11:32 PM
Because of this place, my autocorrect likes NIN related words. My mangling of the word disappointment in a message completely non-NIN related was changed to "disappointed Trent." I noticed it before sending and fixed it.

Kyle
06-09-2014, 11:36 PM
I've never had a bad experience with a NIN crowd, but I do remember the first time I saw them, dead center a few feet back from the stage a floorboard was missing. Normally not a big deal except that this was during hockey season in the arena where the Penguins play so there was basically a big patch of ice right in the middle of a NIN-1994 mosh pit.

Now that I think about it, this is actually the exact opposite of a bad fan experience because everyone around that missing floorboard was cool offering a hand to people who slipped or almost slipped.

cashpiles (closed)
06-10-2014, 05:20 AM
Trent Reznor is in your babies.

New research has found that the people you are exposed to, the environment you grow up in, the food you eat, the music you listen to... in fact everything around you alters the expression of your genes. Guess what? Trent Reznor has altered our gene expression. This altered gene expression can be passed to the next generation. For better or worse, Trent Reznor has altered the genetics of your children and future children. Next time a relative makes a comment about your child behaving in a way uncharacteristic of the family, tell them about Trent Reznor and what he has done to you and your children.

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/health-and-behavior/the-social-life-of-genes-64616/

ItsJustDave
06-10-2014, 06:23 AM
I went to the kitchen to get a cup of tea, and came back to hear You're so Physical playing. It was a real what the fuck moment in the days before Internet, Easter eggs

Lies. I was on the internet talking about Broken when it came out.

WorzelG
06-10-2014, 06:44 AM
Lies. I was on the internet talking about Broken when it came out.
Ok, pre Internet prevalence. I didn't have personal access to the Internet till 1997 when i bought a shitty pc cheaply from work, and then the modem connection was so shite it was practically unusable. Trent is still moaning about European Internet access now so you can see we're behind the US by some years

Thinking about Courtney Love's autobiography, she's scrapped it according to this interview
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopfeatures/10743170/Courtney-Love-interview-There-will-be-no-jazz-hands-on-Smells-Like-Teen-Spirit.html
Wonder if this has something to do with 'making up' with Dave Grohl and the other Nirvana guy?

Trias
06-10-2014, 10:01 AM
Trent is still moaning about European Internet access now so you can see we're behind the US by some years.

Uh what?

You know that the US is WAY behind most of (Northwest) Europe in terms of access to broadband internet, right?

Trent having internet issues in Europe can have many reasons (including hardware incompatibility, and shitty facilities at venues), but has nothing to do with the general availability of highspeed internet.

cahernandez
06-10-2014, 10:30 AM
Uh what?

You know that the US is WAY behind most of (Northwest) Europe in terms of access to broadband internet, right?

Trent having internet issues in Europe can have many reasons (including hardware incompatibility, and shitty facilities at venues), but has nothing to do with the general availability of highspeed internet.

Sweden has one of the fastest internet connections in the world! I met a Swedish guy (good friend of mine) in Houston, he moved there for a PhD position and he would always complain about the shitty internet speeds in TX.

WorzelG
06-10-2014, 04:42 PM
Uh what?

Sorry, I don't really know anything about Internet speeds in Europe. My broadband at home is fine but I don't have a smartphone at all

dlb
06-10-2014, 04:57 PM
It's funny how every NIN show I've been to and did have the chance to go to never had terrible lie on the setlist. What the fuck is up with that? Even if I had done the full touring cycle that I had planned, I wouldn't have gotten it. :D

On the other hand I'm glad I didn't go to Manchester and Vienna, since I might have been disappointed with getting the same setlists I already had. Either way, the more NIN the merrier! I still would have loved to do more shows, especially in the UK!

neorev
06-11-2014, 03:40 AM
so i wonder if we're gonna get a proper Hesitation Marks remix album... would be cool.
Trent could include some of those leftover ideas fleshed out.
or combine the remix album and Tension live DVD.

fillow
06-11-2014, 03:57 AM
7 already existing mediocre remixes aren't enough for you?

Vertigo
06-11-2014, 04:14 AM
I'd love to see a return of remixes in which the album's collaborators try their own take on the material (and maybe throw in some Eustis for good measure). I miss having albums like Further Down The Spiral and Things Falling Apart, because they feel like proper companion pieces to the main album.

None of the remixes since With Teeth have felt relevant or interesting to me.

Lastentrance
06-11-2014, 04:44 AM

Yeah there's always people like that at gigs. I remember I saw Bruce Springsteen in Manchester back in 10 and 12 and both years we noticed this long haired topless old guy just rocking out alone. Saw a similar dude at the rail for Trentemoller and (oddly) another similar guy at NIN (but rocking out for Cold Cave).

Lastentrance
06-11-2014, 05:11 AM
Just picked up the Closure VHS pack in mint condition for £4!

Fangster_
06-11-2014, 06:45 PM
The Down In It demo is kinda hilarious. Sounds like how I would sing it in the shower.

screwdriver
06-11-2014, 10:16 PM
the studio version of Head Like a Hole is so good and so fresh... the live version is perfect for a live setting, but the original version is still the best

Ryan
06-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Never get tired of this.

Ever.

http://i.imgur.com/PZM3N.jpg

NINisamazing
06-11-2014, 11:21 PM
That's 'cause NINisamazing.
I know it is a lame name, what can I do.

Ryan
06-11-2014, 11:49 PM
I forgive you Daffy. xo

Frozen Beach
06-12-2014, 02:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOyXtuwPBu4#t=89
has this been posted?

nooneimportant
06-12-2014, 02:57 AM
I like to mix Pinion with random things sometimes. I once did it with Tori Amos' cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit. I just recently did it with the first level music of Resident Evil 2 and it was amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX6sJCK-OyY

wizfan
06-12-2014, 10:03 AM
Aaron House, the lead moderator of ninremixes.com, has passed away. RIP.

Read the message here:
http://ninremixes.com/

screwdriver
06-12-2014, 10:22 AM
"potions" just came up on my beats list... fuck it, I'll be that guy:

"potions" is great, the niggy tardust instrumental stuff is great, "passive" is great... FREE TAPEWORM NOW

Halo Infinity
06-14-2014, 12:35 AM
I think I've ended up having an imaginary montage of Trent working on each album with one song from each of them. It occurred to me when I made up an imaginary montage of Trent working on The Fragile with The Mark Has Been Made as the background music in my mind. That was the first song I've done it with since 2004.

Ryan
06-14-2014, 06:15 AM
http://i.imgur.com/4drD4RC.jpg

dlb
06-14-2014, 06:31 AM
Kinda reliving my past shows this summer and good god I can't fathom how impossibly cool Trent was during the opening in Berlin. He definitely has changed alot about his persona on stage over the years but it's still him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaaaFNYgbGQ

EDIT: and I so would love to have these trousers with the attached skirt-like applications! :D

WorzelG
06-14-2014, 01:13 PM
So I read an interview with Daphne Carr that makes me actually want to read the PHM 33 1/3 book I got but never got around to reading, and now I can't find it, I'm going to have to tidy the house to look it up

http://blog.kexp.org/2011/07/20/33-13-odyssey-pretty-hate-machine-a-conversation-with-author-daphne-carr/

implanted_microchip
06-14-2014, 03:32 PM
If Everything does end up getting played (over the Cortini's Live Rig thread there's talk about it), that would make Hesitation Marks the first NIN album to have every single song played live since The Downward Spiral, wouldn't it? The Slip still has Demon Seed and The Four of Us Are Dying, Ghosts has the majority of it unplayed, Year Zero has AVOTT, Zero-Sum, My Violent Heart; With Teeth still has Sunspots missing, The Fragile has a lot that's still untouched, and did they ever play Kinda I Want To live? I've heard a few different PHM era shows and none have had that song.

So, yeah, if we get Everything, then there'll be 3 NIN albums performed completely over the years! Broken's had everything done at one point or another, even the covers (and the silent tracks are the space between the main set and the encore for any smartasses wanting to bring those up), TDS is the obvious one with 2 full performances of it (although technically both of those shows were missing the original Closer, which I honestly find irritating, but whatever), so we're missing one song from HM and it's done. Safe to say Trent really does love this album.

wizfan
06-14-2014, 07:25 PM
Listening to Broken in mono feels funny. Like Trent said in an interview, some parts of it were mixed out-of-phase, so they are completely lost on mono devices. The snare drum in Happiness in Slavery can no longer be heard.

Joy Prevention Hotline
06-14-2014, 08:18 PM
Jesus. There's no excuse for that — is it that much worse among NIN fans than people in general? :(

Halo Infinity
06-14-2014, 08:20 PM
I've been battling depression for about as long as I can remember, and Broken, The Downward Spiral, and The Fragile are still my top 4 CDs whenever I wanted to listen to Nine Inch Nails as way to cope with it. It's been that way ever since I became a fan in autumn of 2002.

implanted_microchip
06-14-2014, 08:39 PM
I've been battling depression for about as long as I can remember, and Broken, The Downward Spiral, and The Fragile are still my top 4 CDs whenever I wanted to listen to Nine Inch Nails as way to cope with it. It's been that way ever since I became a fan in autumn of 2002.

Still is a massive help for me, has been for a long time.

Also, Even Deeper has probably the best description of long-running depression and think you've fought it only to find it's still with you.

When I've been suicidal I think nothing has ever put it to sound/words as well as TDS does.

Joy Prevention Hotline
06-14-2014, 08:47 PM
If Everything does end up getting played (over the Cortini's Live Rig thread there's talk about it), that would make Hesitation Marks the first NIN album to have every single song played live since The Downward Spiral, wouldn't it? The Slip still has Demon Seed and The Four of Us Are Dying, Ghosts has the majority of it unplayed, Year Zero has AVOTT, Zero-Sum, My Violent Heart; With Teeth still has Sunspots missing, The Fragile has a lot that's still untouched, and did they ever play Kinda I Want To live? I've heard a few different PHM era shows and none have had that song.
According to NINwiki, it was played during the Pretty Hate Machine Promotional Tour (http://www.ninwiki.com/%22Pretty_Hate_Machine%22_Promotional_Tour).

So, yeah, if we get Everything, then there'll be 3 NIN albums performed completely over the years! Broken's had everything done at one point or another, even the covers (and the silent tracks are the space between the main set and the encore for any smartasses wanting to bring those up), TDS is the obvious one with 2 full performances of it (although technically both of those shows were missing the original Closer, which I honestly find irritating, but whatever), so we're missing one song from HM and it's done. Safe to say Trent really does love this album.
Four albums. :) But this would be only the second time all of the songs were played on the original touring cycle — Last and A Warm Place were a looooooong time coming.

SO LET'S DO THIS.

Microwave Jellyfish
06-14-2014, 10:04 PM
http://i.imgur.com/4drD4RC.jpg

10/10 submission.

But I'm drunk right now. You shouldn't trust my judgement.

Halo Infinity
06-14-2014, 10:20 PM
After listening to The Fragile over and over again, it turns out that I still like both the Left and Right CDs equally.

Ryan
06-14-2014, 10:22 PM
After listening to The Fragile over and over again, it turns out that I still like both the Left and Right CDs equally.

My OCD wishes that both sides had the same amount of tracks.

Damn you (Right) for only having 11.

Ryan
06-14-2014, 10:47 PM
Random observation, but doesn't Trent look like... 20 years younger in this photo? HOW DOES HE DO IT?!

http://37.media.tumblr.com/b0f3544026c0aea37fe27effa7e20353/tumblr_n2i42rzIQO1s726nxo3_1280.jpg

http://37.media.tumblr.com/b0f3544026c0aea37fe27effa7e20353/tumblr_n2i42rzIQO1s726nxo3_1280.jpg

BRoswell
06-14-2014, 11:12 PM
His body does, but his face says otherwise. Not saying he looks terrible or anything, just that you can tell from his face that he's been through some stuff.

Ryan
06-14-2014, 11:17 PM
I thought his face looks really youthful in that particular shot.

Joy Prevention Hotline
06-14-2014, 11:26 PM

10 Miles High or The New Flesh would've fixed that. But I assume they didn't work as well on a CD as they did on the vinyl.

Speaking of the which … if the CDs were called Left and Right, was the vinyl version Left, Middle and Right? :p

sheepdean
06-14-2014, 11:33 PM

Right has 12, because Decay is clearly separate as Ripe can exist without it. Problem solved!

Speaking of the which … if the CDs were called Left and Right, was the vinyl version Left, Middle and Right? :p
It's things like that that make me not understand how people can prefer left or right, as someone used to vinyl they're simply parts of the album, having to change disc doesn't mean they're different enough to prefer one over the other, to me.

nooneimportant
06-14-2014, 11:49 PM
Is Trent even aware of the existence of the Purest Feeling bootleg? I get the feeling he leaked it himself.

sheepdean
06-14-2014, 11:52 PM
Is Trent even aware of the existence of the Purest Feeling bootleg? I get the feeling he leaked it himself.
I'm sure he's aware, but I'd also wager he didn't leak it. He wasn't as big on leaking his own stuff back then (and Malm would have probably beat him with chains for it), and the fact the boot originated in Italy (or maybe Germany) also indicates it wasn't him. If he really was happy with it, we'd have had MJO or PF as the bonus track on PHM remaster, not Get Down Make Love.

But hey, we can all hope for a remastered copy of it one day, with a firm answer on whether or not Twist is really called Twist.

Joy Prevention Hotline
06-15-2014, 12:05 AM
It's things like that that make me not understand how people can prefer left or right, as someone used to vinyl they're simply parts of the album, having to change disc doesn't mean they're different enough to prefer one over the other, to me.
It's really split up into six parts on vinyl, isn't it? Maybe Sarah K would've found that easier to absorb in one sitting, having to take a break every twenty minutes.

Halo Infinity
06-15-2014, 01:07 AM
I forgot exactly which YouTube video it was, but in one of the comments under a Woodstock 1994 gig, there was somebody that actually said that Trent looked like a mailman. That thought really stuck with me, even though I forgot to mention it in this thread ASAP for some reason. :p

seasonsinthesky
06-15-2014, 01:09 AM

the whole thing is supposed to be as imperfect as possible, remember? ;)

GlitchyFlame
06-15-2014, 01:49 AM
Random observation, but doesn't Trent look like... 20 years younger in this photo? HOW DOES HE DO IT?!

His body and somewhat his face look pretty youthful, but for some reason this shot of Trent turning his head when having a FaceTime call with Andrew stuck out in my mind as youthful for a brief moment
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/15/erybanuz.jpg

dlb
06-16-2014, 02:35 PM
While it may be flawed as hell I simply adore the Reading live stream from last year! Such a stellar energy and the video effects are mighty cool! Bonus points for a pissed off Trent aswell! :D

WorzelG
06-16-2014, 02:47 PM
While it may be flawed as hell I simply adore the Reading live stream from last year! Such a stellar energy and the video effects are mighty cool! Bonus points for a pissed off Trent aswell! :D
The beauty of live streams though is that you get the good quality sound, from where we were off to the right close to the stage, trent's voice kept getting swept away by the wind - typical festival problem though

mfte
06-16-2014, 03:05 PM
Ive been actively getting into the U2 catalogue (mainly Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby) and think that they are the unspoken influence on NIN.

What I have noticed is that Bullet the Blue Sky has a lick in the chorus that is identical to the main riff from Good Soldier AND features the lyrics "...demon seed"

Trent did cover Zoo Station.

Thats about it so far.

Sarah K
06-16-2014, 03:21 PM
U2 makes me want to kill myself.

Joy Prevention Hotline
06-16-2014, 03:45 PM
U2 makes me want to kill myself.
Please don't do that. :( Kill someone else who really deserves it instead!

Although they aren't what they once were, I am a U2 fan … but not enough of one to pay scalpers for tickets. That's the difference right there: NIN's production is better and we actually have a snowball's chance to see them.

icecream
06-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Yeah, U2 were cool. I like to pretend they didn't make their last few albums because Bono retired from the public eye.

Ryan
06-16-2014, 09:59 PM
I'm sure he's aware, but I'd also wager he didn't leak it. He wasn't as big on leaking his own stuff back then (and Malm would have probably beat him with chains for it), and the fact the boot originated in Italy (or maybe Germany) also indicates it wasn't him. If he really was happy with it, we'd have had MJO or PF as the bonus track on PHM remaster, not Get Down Make Love.

But hey, we can all hope for a remastered copy of it one day, with a firm answer on whether or not Twist is really called Twist.

Why people don't ask him questions like this in interviews when the opportunity is right there I will never know.

Charmingly Miserable
06-16-2014, 11:46 PM
Ghosts I-IV is a near perfect album.

Halo Infinity
06-16-2014, 11:57 PM
It still turns out that I still appreciate Ghosts I-IV more now than I did when it first came out in 2008. I'm only speaking for myself, but I can see that I'm not alone, as Nine Inch Nails has always aged like a fine wine to me, which also gave me every reason to give each and every single album time to grow on me.

Ryan
06-17-2014, 12:51 AM
I have to be honest and say I've never listened to Ghosts all the way through and can only really determine which one 31 Ghosts is, lol.

I should fix that.

MAD
06-17-2014, 02:07 AM
I thought that Katy Perry - Dark Horse works well with Survivalism.

So here it is: https://soundcloud.com/mad623/darkhorsevalism

Fangster_
06-17-2014, 06:04 AM

I don't think nearly enough attention is given to the fact that Trent's been missing his trademark sideburns since Tension. Yet he looks younger that way. PARADOX.

Halo Infinity
06-17-2014, 06:29 AM
With Teeth, Year Zero, and Hesitation Marks seem to be my 3 most favorite post-Fragile albums as of late. I also like the bass in Hesitation Marks in a With Teeth kind of way. (I'm also sort of stuck for words there.)

WorzelG
06-17-2014, 06:53 AM
Ive been actively getting into the U2 catalogue (mainly Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby) and think that they are the unspoken influence on NIN.

What I have noticed is that Bullet the Blue Sky has a lick in the chorus that is identical to the main riff from Good Soldier AND features the lyrics "...demon seed"

Thats about it so far.
I've been reading some articles from 1993 to find out more about the TVT feud because I find it interesting, and an article in Musician says some record execs were asking jimmy iovine why he was so desperate to sign NIN and he said they were the new U2. Well that didn't pan out in terms of financial success, but I thought it interesting. Can't find the article on google though, it was some press archive from a French site - actually it was from a German fan site and he said 'listen - they're another U2'
http://nin-pages.de/1993_Musician_Januar_english.htm

Charmingly Miserable
06-18-2014, 12:55 AM
I have to be honest and say I've never listened to Ghosts all the way through and can only really determine which one 31 Ghosts is, lol.

NIN Confession: I can't determine most Ghosts songs from their numbers. I like the idea of a NIN Confessions thread.

simonn
06-18-2014, 01:25 AM
NIN Confession: I can't determine most Ghosts songs from their numbers. I like the idea of a NIN Confessions thread.

Probably one of my most played NIN albums, and I still only know about 10 of them without cheating...!

BenAkenobi
06-18-2014, 04:05 AM

And when you finally are able to connect music with number, individual pictures for each track come into play :)

sick among the pure
06-18-2014, 08:52 AM
I don't think nearly enough attention is given to the fact that Trent's been missing his trademark sideburns since Tension. Yet he looks younger that way. PARADOX.

How can a fanbase obsessed with Trent's beard length not make this a big deal?

Sarah K
06-18-2014, 09:23 AM
I've uhhh... never listened to Ghosts.

GibbonBlack
06-18-2014, 10:36 AM

we have a winner!

eversonpoe
06-18-2014, 11:27 AM

dude, it's SO GOOD. (i only facepalmed you because it's been out for years and i think it's funny that you haven't listened to it...you know, just in case you're overly sensitive about facepalming like some people :p )

seriously, take the time to listen to it. it's great for if you're at work and don't have to communicate with anyone for a while.

Sarah K
06-18-2014, 11:36 AM
GOD UGH WHY ARE YOU FACE PALMING ME FOR FUCK'S SAKE

No. I do wanna listen to it. I dig what I've heard. I just uh, I dunno. I've never gotten around to it.

I mean, I've listened to it, but I was basically like our buddy back then... Constantly in a drug induced semi-coma. So I would like to try it again now!

skullboy0
06-18-2014, 12:48 PM
we have a winner!

I've never listened to The Fragile all the way through, there are songs on there I've never heard.

sick among the pure
06-18-2014, 03:15 PM
While we're on a roll of "things totally worthy of a few facepalms" when I was super new to buying NIN stuff, like I think I owned one cd so far or something, I saw a sealed copy of Closure at an FYE for like $10, but didn't buy it because I thought to myself "I'd rather find it someplace on DVD, even if it's a little more expensive." DUMBEST. DUMBEST EVER.

sheepdean
06-18-2014, 03:19 PM
GOD UGH WHY ARE YOU FACE PALMING ME FOR FUCK'S SAKE

No. I do wanna listen to it. I dig what I've heard. I just uh, I dunno. I've never gotten around to it.

I mean, I've listened to it, but I was basically like our buddy back then... Constantly in a drug induced semi-coma. So I would like to try it again now!
Come on, it's $9.72 for the CD on amazon with free mp3 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015FQZ94/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0015FQZ94&linkCode=as2&tag=theninhotli0a-20&linkId=PH5EHDTPLHJXSK3Y)

And I facepalmed because it's my favourite album, I'm sure you'd do the same if I'd never heard The Fragile :P

sentient02970
06-18-2014, 03:31 PM

I listen to a lot of Ghosts as it regularly makes ipod loops in my car commutes. 35 Ghosts IV now always just has me think of it as the "making Facemash" theme: "Give each girl a base rating of 1400".

Sarah K
06-18-2014, 04:24 PM
I've never listened to The Fragile all the way through, there are songs on there I've never heard.
I only finally completed it a couple of weeks ago.

2/10

Ryan
06-18-2014, 05:16 PM

Fix that shit immediately.

Microwave Jellyfish
06-18-2014, 06:42 PM
I only finally completed it a couple of weeks ago.

2/10
Whoah. We demand ratings for the other albums and Broken as well!

Sarah K
06-18-2014, 06:55 PM
I mean I had done parts. But was never able to (mentally)listen to it as a whole.

Ryan
06-18-2014, 07:23 PM
Trent's expression each time he realizes bill has made a new post on ETS:

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/m5fDkb2FmfY/0.jpg

eversonpoe
06-18-2014, 11:28 PM
Trent's expression each time he realizes bill has made a new post on ETS:

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/m5fDkb2FmfY/0.jpg

trent's face when he remembers thinking that haircut was a good idea ;)

richardp
06-19-2014, 02:14 AM

Thats about it so far.

Ok. As someone who's two favorite bands are both NIN and U2, this is absolutely ridiculous and preposterous. Trent has come out several times as a personal fan of U2 and The Edge was listening to lots of Pretty Hate Machine and other industrial albums of the era when writing his guitar parts for Achtung Baby, but that's about as far as this entire thing goes. Nothing on Year Zero in directly inspired by Bullet The Blue Sky. I can assure you. There is no further "figuring out" of which NIN songs are "unspokenly influenced" by U2. Because there are none.

I'd suggest stop trying to ARG your U2 experience and just enjoy getting into U2's back catalogue. There are some true gems to be found.

Khrz
06-19-2014, 06:08 AM

I can understand that : I never listened to Mellon Collie in its entirety. I became curious about it years after it came out, and was vaguely aware of the Smashing Pumpkins at the time. Catching up on such huge albums really feel like work.
That said, I'm not a member of any SP forum...

gorast
06-19-2014, 11:55 AM
It's really weird to see Buff Trent with that gross emo hair.

Vertigo
06-19-2014, 12:30 PM
Am I the only one who liked the emo hair? My opinion, Trent just needs to avoid having sideburns down to his toes, or a Dracula goatee.

henryeatscereal
06-19-2014, 01:32 PM
"Perfect drug" Trent is underrated...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/3/4061404_c40551beb9.jpg

MrSlfDstruct
06-19-2014, 04:09 PM

This look is always the first look I associate with TR, since I discovered NIN just prior to the Lost Highway soundtrack being released. This and the photos from the SPIN issue from around the same time are forever burned into my mind.

butter_hole
06-19-2014, 08:18 PM

No, he looks like a rapist. Look at that mustache and tell me this look is a good idea. I cannot conceive how in any stretch of life at any point in time this was considered a good idea. Like literally cocaine + child rapist = this look. No. Yuck.

implanted_microchip
06-19-2014, 08:50 PM
In general I just love long hair Trent, definitely his most attractive to me at least. I know some people love the buzzed/short hair version, but for me long hair is where it's at.

And I really like how he looks in TPD video, I think it just fits it really well. I'm glad that wasn't a normal thing, but for the video it was fitting and added to the vibe of it. I just wish he and Mark Romanek would do another video together someday, but I know that's just a little dream that'll never be a reality.

And on the subject of music videos, that whole mid-90's stretch was just perfect. Absolutely the best video era for NIN (I was never that impressed with TF or WT videos and ever since then it's been a nearly non-existent thing save for the Survivalism and CBH videos, neither of which left an impression for me). The Broken videos were amazingly intense and vivid and oddly fitting, March of the Pigs is one of the few performance videos I've ever enjoyed, Closer is pretty much the most perfect music video I can personally name, the live footage/videos for Hurt, Eraser, etc., they were just fantastic, Closure was an amazing style/way of presenting the band (I really miss that style of tour video; it's like half a behind-the-scenes and half a performance), The Perfect Drug is gorgeous to look at.

icecream
06-19-2014, 09:09 PM
Agreed! Though, if David Lynch can make a bad NIN video, Romanek might make one too at this point. I wonder what happened in terms of super cool videos. They went from amazing to just average.

sheepdean
06-19-2014, 09:45 PM
Agreed! Though, if David Lynch can make a bad NIN video, Romanek might make one too at this point. I wonder what happened in terms of super cool videos. They went from amazing to just average.
I'd say the super cool ones are still with TR, just not with NIN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sUTVT7HzSg

WorzelG
06-19-2014, 09:51 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sUTVT7HzSg
These were the people who weren't good enough with the Everything video, hmm. Wish they'd won out on their pitch for the CBH video

sheepdean
06-19-2014, 09:53 PM
These were the people who weren't good enough with the Everything video, hmm. Wish they'd won out on their pitch for the CBH video
They're Welsh, of course they're better at shots of wastelands and young men attacking the elderly ;)

icecream
06-19-2014, 09:57 PM

True. I also like HTDA more than most things NIN has done post Fragile. Maybe it's just a taste thing.

icecream
06-19-2014, 09:59 PM
I can understand that : I never listened to Mellon Collie in its entirety. I became curious about it years after it came out, and was vaguely aware of the Smashing Pumpkins at the time. Catching up on such huge albums really feel like work.
That said, I'm not a member of any SP forum...
Wish I could get into SP. When I started checking out their big albums is when I started reading about how much of a dickhead Billy Corgan was.

Ryan
06-19-2014, 10:33 PM
Maybe it's just a taste thing.

What flavor icecream are you?

icecream
06-19-2014, 10:53 PM
What flavor icecream are you?
What flavor of Ryan are you?

henryeatscereal
06-19-2014, 10:54 PM
This look is always the first look I associate with TR, since I discovered NIN just prior to the Lost Highway soundtrack being released. This and the photos from the SPIN issue from around the same time are forever burned into my mind.
It's one of his most memorable looks! he looked mature yet cool, maybe it was more of a "serious" look but i always think of this look when i think of Trent (well, this one and the "Downward Spiral" look)

No, he looks like a rapist. Look at that mustache and tell me this look is a good idea. I cannot conceive how in any stretch of life at any point in time this was considered a good idea. Like literally cocaine + child rapist = this look. No. Yuck.
I don't see how the mustache makes one a "rapist", maybe it's a stereotype, this look makes me think of classy dudes like Nick Cave, Vincent Price or Tony Iommi...

...also this pic is awesome:

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2lqe6eElj1qbqb1do1_1280.jpg

Charmingly Miserable
06-19-2014, 11:03 PM
Ugh. I can't stand Trent's TPD look. It doesn't make him look like a rapist per se, but it makes him look kinda like the scummy uncle you have to invite to your birthday party. I still love the song though.

Yoshata
06-19-2014, 11:24 PM
Am I the only one who liked the emo hair?

Nope. That period (With Teeth) was when I first became a fan. :)

Ryan
06-19-2014, 11:57 PM
What flavor of Ryan are you?

Rich chocolate.

icecream
06-20-2014, 12:25 AM
Rich chocolate.
I just laughed wine out of my nose, thanks for that.