PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

ryanmcfly
12-13-2018, 09:17 AM
I want a studio verson of Now I'm Nothing with a re recorded version of Terrible Lie with a bunch of guitars to match the live version since you can't have Now I'm Nothing without Terrible Lie.

roolfdriht
12-13-2018, 10:49 AM
I want a studio verson of Now I'm Nothing with a re recorded version of Terrible Lie with a bunch of guitars to match the live version since you can't have Now I'm Nothing without Terrible Lie.

And I'd love a live version of Wish that preserves all the crazy distortion on the guitar from the studio version.

sweeterthan
12-13-2018, 11:10 AM

There has to be a previously recorded version of now I’m nothing somewhere in his archives. I do not believe that he never recorded it.

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-13-2018, 11:42 AM
There has to be a previously recorded version of now I’m nothing somewhere in his archives. I do not believe that he never recorded it.

It’s stuff like this that fuels my hopes that one day we’ll see some kind of massive archive dump in the form of a paid subscription service or something, kinda like a newer iteration of The Spiral but members get access to archives of just an untold number of unused material, maybe even live show recordings. I’d pay any monthly price I had to for that, no questions asked, even if it wouldn’t be until after it’s time to pull the plug on NIN making new releases. The idea has its flaws that would need to be hashed out, certainly, but if there was ever gonna be a way to make a little extra monthly income, that wouldn’t be an awful way to do it.

klyrish
12-13-2018, 11:58 AM
It’s stuff like this that fuels my hopes that one day we’ll see some kind of massive archive dump in the form of a paid subscription service or something, kinda like a newer iteration of The Spiral but members get access to archives of just an untold number of unused material, maybe even live show recordings. I’d pay any monthly price I had to for that, no questions asked, even if it wouldn’t be until after it’s time to pull the plug on NIN making new releases. The idea has its flaws that would need to be hashed out, certainly, but if there was ever gonna be a way to make a little extra monthly income, that wouldn’t be an awful way to do it.
I would pay for this as well. I fear that the perfectionist in him would never allow it, though which is a bummer.

ryanmcfly
12-13-2018, 01:19 PM

That would be sooooo dope. They can put all of the Wave Goodbye/Tension stuff on there!

mauro995
12-13-2018, 01:37 PM
He said he owes Interscope a Greatest Hits album, right? Might be a great excuse to release Now I'm Nothing as a bonus, just as Everything and Satellite were intended to be.

Max
12-13-2018, 02:53 PM
He said he owes Interscope a Greatest Hits album, right? Might be a great excuse to release Now I'm Nothing as a bonus, just as Everything and Satellite were intended to be.

I concur. I actually came to this thread just to remark on how I was reading an old interview from 2013 about him owing Interscope a greatest hits album and how he still hasn’t fulfilled that which means that is in our future at some point. What a silly concept in the era of streaming music.

neorev
12-13-2018, 03:06 PM
What if Trent gave us a Greatest Hits collection, but the tracks were their updated, live versions re-recorded in the studio with the current band. Like a Greatest Hits meets Peel Session. Then you can have it open with Now I'm Nothing into Terrible Lie. Starfuckers, Inc. into The Hand The Feeds into Head Like A Hole into Hurt. Trent could use this tour since the setlists were so diverse and ever changing to nail it down. As bonus tracks thrown in, their cover of Digital and I Can't Give Everything Away.

AThousandDaysBefore
12-13-2018, 04:36 PM
I was reading about the problem of Peter Murphy, and checked the collaborations with Trent

This is one, I really didn't remember . in fact this is the first time I listen this (and I like it a lot)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHZjtjLAqyI

Max
12-13-2018, 08:13 PM
Been thinking about Hesitation Marks recently.

This album is REALLY different than the rest of the catalogue. I LOVE it. It’s very dear to me in fact. But it feels like an orphan now. Like how Trent said he doesn’t even know who that guy is anymore.

Here’s what I think it is - Trent was processing the dark person he once was. Life was feeling pretty good. Not perfect but pretty good. The world looked to be in general decline, but maybe if things are going alright for you personally or can tune it out. There was a new Trent being born. A new trajectory. Like there were going to be whole new albums in beautiful new directions we had never dreamed of.

But Not Anymore.

That was a path, a luxury, that is no longer possible. He began to go down it and turned back because this damned world came and kicked his door in. He’s minding his own business when He’ll is unleashed. And it brings out the old Trent again. To fuse with the new Trent. Burning Bright says it all.

I’m going back. Of course I am. As I I had a choice...

This all the throw backs to the old days, in the Trilogy, in the current tour.

In a way it’s incredible. But in a way it’s tragic. There was a course he was on, a sunrise that was just peaking over the horizon, only to have the sky blackened again.

Can totally relate in these times we are all living in.

And all that could have been...

What an interesting, and now more tragic album, Hesitation Marks. I treasure it though, and I do hope that some day he’ll have a chance to pick up that thread again and see what the next step down that path is. It’s hard to imagine any of us will get that chance though...

Erneuert
12-13-2018, 08:22 PM
Do you think it bothers Trent’s OCD that the Trilogy aren’t in numerical halo order, with Deviations 1 in between NTAE and AV?

Erneuert
12-13-2018, 08:26 PM
That was a path, a luxury, that is no longer possible. He began to go down it and turned back because this damned world came and kicked his door in.

One might even say... God broke down the door.

Speaking of, has Trent explained the title of God Break Down The Door anywhere? Or does anyone have any speculation as to what it might actually mean?

snichols
12-13-2018, 09:43 PM
Do you think it bothers Trent’s OCD that the Trilogy aren’t in numerical halo order, with Deviations 1 in between NTAE and AV?
I know it bothers me. I have my collection arranged with the trilogy together because I can't wedge deviations or Vietnam war ost in between them for fear of some kind of mental breakdown:)

WorzelG
12-13-2018, 10:40 PM
Been thinking about Hesitation Marks recently.

This album is REALLY different than the rest of the catalogue. I LOVE it. It’s very dear to me in fact. But it feels like an orphan now. Like how Trent said he doesn’t even know who that guy is anymore.

Here’s what I think it is - Trent was processing the dark person he once was. Life was feeling pretty good. Not perfect but pretty good. The world looked to be in general decline, but maybe if things are going alright for you personally or can tune it out. There was a new Trent being born. A new trajectory. Like there were going to be whole new albums in beautiful new directions we had never dreamed of.

But Not Anymore.

That was a path, a luxury, that is no longer possible. He began to go down it and turned back because this damned world came and kicked his door in. He’s minding his own business when He’ll is unleashed. And it brings out the old Trent again. To fuse with the new Trent. Burning Bright says it all.

I’m going back. Of course I am. As I I had a choice...

This all the throw backs to the old days, in the Trilogy, in the current tour.

In a way it’s incredible. But in a way it’s tragic. There was a course he was on, a sunrise that was just peaking over the horizon, only to have the sky blackened again.

Can totally relate in these times we are all living in.

And all that could have been...

What an interesting, and now more tragic album, Hesitation Marks. I treasure it though, and I do hope that some day he’ll have a chance to pick up that thread again and see what the next step down that path is. It’s hard to imagine any of us will get that chance though...
I totally agree with you, and I feel exactly the same way about suddenly the world seeming dark again now, it really does

chuckrh
12-14-2018, 03:23 PM
the 12/8 show is an absolute stunner! thank you RITC! & Trent for letting RITC exist!

katara
12-14-2018, 06:23 PM
the 12/8 show is an absolute stunner! thank you RITC! & Trent for letting RITC exist!
Oh my, that setlist is astonishing. Wish there was a better quality recording. Please say it's so ninlive !

botley
12-14-2018, 06:30 PM
Oh my, that setlist is astonishing. Wish there was a better quality recording. Please say it's so @ninlive (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1141) !
Better quality than 5/5? That is a bangin' recording in my estimation.

ninlive
12-14-2018, 08:17 PM
Oh my, that setlist is astonishing. Wish there was a better quality recording. Please say it's so @ninlive (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1141) !

I hope you’re being facetious. That’s a great tape. There will be others, I’m sure.

katara
12-15-2018, 02:52 AM
I hope you’re being facetious. That’s a great tape. There will be others, I’m sure.
My apologies. It was after midnight and I looked up the wrong show (12/12), which is labelled as '3.5/5' and is described as "An average recording". The setlist is gorgeous, though.

simonn
12-15-2018, 02:56 AM
Just remembered I dreamt that they played the whole of The Fragile at the final LA show in last nights sleep....

chuckrh
12-15-2018, 03:04 AM
Just remembered I dreamt that they played the whole of The Fragile at the final LA show in last nights sleep....

that would be awesome. that & ghosts are my favorite NIN records.

ninlive
12-15-2018, 11:31 AM
My apologies. It was after midnight and I looked up the wrong show (12/12), which is labelled as '3.5/5' and is described as "An average recording". The setlist is gorgeous, though.

Lol, no worries! I was just so confused.

Yes! There will be other recordings!

Halo Infinity
12-15-2018, 08:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzMmv4wYEwE

sweeterthan
12-16-2018, 06:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzMmv4wYEwE

You’d pretty much be drunk by the end of the first song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Max
12-16-2018, 08:24 AM
Seems likely that we are going to have at least a few months coming without a peep from NIN. I know there is some T&R soundtrack stuff coming, but I imagine it’s going to be quite a while before we see another show, read another interview, or see anything else come out of the studio.

This was a really good run of two solid years of awesome new work.

Now I guess it’s time to get the headphones out and dive deeper into what we’ve got.

One thing I am really hoping for is to finally see those definitive editions of Year Zero, etc on Vinyl. Maybe 2019?

What a ride. Thanks Trent!

Microwave Jellyfish
12-16-2018, 12:43 PM
So I pretty randomly looked up what's this actress called KaDee Strickland has been up to lately and one of her recent ig posts about a week ago was about seeing NIN (https://www.instagram.com/p/BrLTE_Xj65E/).

14-year-old me - who used to have the biggest celebrity crush on her - would be overjoyed learning that she's a fan. On the other hand, though, this is a cool find that carries a gentle, but definite sting of jealousy with it. I can't help it, guys; during the last couple of months social media made me feel like everyone and their mothers was sitting at a NIN gig at one point, except for me and fellow UK/Europe-dweller fans.

At the time I had bigger, or at least more concerning things going on in life, but looking back at it now, those extra-limited London shows and rubbing it in with that "last time in Europe, maybe forever" comments were decidedly uncool.

Doubt that I'm the first person to complain about it, but it felt good.

BRoswell
12-16-2018, 02:32 PM
I didn't get to go to any of the shows, but that's on me. If you can't make it to a show, you can't make it to a show. It's the luck of the draw unfortunately. I'm still grateful that I've at least seen one Nine Inch Nails show at this point, and hopefully someday I'll have the chance to see another.

WorzelG
12-16-2018, 04:55 PM
So I pretty randomly looked up what's this actress called KaDee Strickland has been up to lately and one of her recent ig posts about a week ago was about seeing NIN (https://www.instagram.com/p/BrLTE_Xj65E/).

14-year-old me - who used to have the biggest celebrity crush on her - would be overjoyed learning that she's a fan. On the other hand, though, this is a cool find that carries a gentle, but definite sting of jealousy with it. I can't help it, guys; during the last couple of months social media made me feel like everyone and their mothers was sitting at a NIN gig at one point, except for me and fellow UK/Europe-dweller fans.

At the time I had bigger, or at least more concerning things going on in life, but looking back at it now, those extra-limited London shows and rubbing it in with that "last time in Europe, maybe forever" comments were decidedly uncool.

Doubt that I'm the first person to complain about it, but it felt good.
Yeah I’m not a fan of ‘this is the last show’ last tour teasing either. Meltdown was the best show I’ve ever seen though and for some reason I don’t really feel jealous of the US. Im happy watching the footage and recordings. Basically we NEED a proper pro shot Blu-ray of the tour

buckaroo
12-18-2018, 10:16 AM
Seems likely that we are going to have at least a few months coming without a peep from NIN. I know there is some T&R soundtrack stuff coming, but I imagine it’s going to be quite a while before we see another show, read another interview, or see anything else come out of the studio.

One thing I am really hoping for is to finally see those definitive editions of Year Zero, etc on Vinyl. Maybe 2019?

If they are ever going to make good on their promise of a deluxe set for The Fragile this year would be the year to do it. I am really holding out hope for this, but you know how things usually go, so...

neorev
12-18-2018, 01:50 PM
If they are ever going to make good on their promise of a deluxe set for The Fragile this year would be the year to do it. I am really holding out hope for this, but you know how things usually go, so...

I don't think Trent is done with The Fragile just yet. I think we'll see something for its anniversary. The site hinted at a reissue of And All That Could Have Been and Trent has already mentioned Still being reissued. I'd love to see Things Falling Apart to be reissued as well and include the other remixes left off the original release and perhaps some of those vocal versions of unreleased Deviations 1 tracks that were labeled as instrumental. I'd love to see Further Down The Spiral reissued and remastered with both tracklists combined and for it include all of the TDS b-sides.

elevenism
12-18-2018, 01:51 PM
So I can't BELIEVE I never noticed this before now, being a huge bowie fan, and I'm sure this was discussed in 07 and I missed it, BUT

Did Oh, You Pretty Things inspire The Presence?

I'm talking about the line where Bowie sings "look out my window and what do I see/ a crack in the sky and a hand reaching down to me."

Also, there's "the strangers arrived today, and it looks as though they're here to stay" vs. "The passengers arrived today/it looks as though they're here to stay."

I know Bowie had a massive influence on Trent, but I'm starting to think this one SONG inspired a LOT of NIN lyrics and themes

katara
12-18-2018, 05:45 PM
"it looks as though they're here to stay"
This confused me for some reason. However, it's actually directly quoted in both Find My Way and All Time Low. Possibly also in All The Love In The World: "It looks as though the past is here to stay".

elevenism
12-18-2018, 11:37 PM
This confused me for some reason. However, it's actually directly quoted in both Find My Way and All Time Low. Possibly also in All The Love In The World: "It looks as though the past is here to stay".
Ah. I'm sorry. What I meant was that the Bowie song says "the strangers arrived today and it looks as though they're here to stay;" the same old Bowie song with the "crack in the sky."

Max
12-19-2018, 03:28 AM
That’s a great find! Either a direct reference or a subconscious one. Too similar to be coincidence on both counts.

elevenism
12-19-2018, 05:01 AM
One might even say... God broke down the door.

Speaking of, has Trent explained the title of God Break Down The Door anywhere? Or does anyone have any speculation as to what it might actually mean?I was just discussing it with my wife. We have no fucking idea. :p

Erneuert
12-19-2018, 05:12 AM
Ah. I'm sorry. What I meant was that the Bowie song says "the strangers arrived today and it looks as though they're here to stay;" the same old Bowie song with the "crack in the sky."

Similarly, and this is in reverse in terms of the artist:

Gary Numan, “Haunted”, 2006 - “And this is not my voice. Not my face. Not my life. Belongs to you.”

Trent Reznor, “Head Down”, 2008 - “And this is not my face. And this is not my life. And there is not a single thing here I can recognize.”

Max
12-19-2018, 06:27 AM
God Break Down the Door -

I have been puzzling over this for months.

My first thought was that in Revelation there is Jesus saying “here I am, I stand at the door and knock”. Perhaps Trent is imploring him to break down the door and maybe no one is here with what he is lookin for because we are all unworthy and uncaring (which is kind of a theme of other songs on a album).

It also calls to mind a number of movies where the authorities are trying to break into a room to get some answers but when they finally do they still walk away not understanding what is going on. This kind of fits the Lost Highway noir kind of vibe to the sound of this album.

Perhaps after the simulation theme of AV, there is the idea of someone sitting at the controls and the Presence, looking in on those in the simulation. I’m Not Anymore he’s trapped in a room. In The Background World “you left me here.” Now he implored God to Break down that door of this room, but the answers (to the simulation as well as the trilogy) are not going to be found here.

I would be curious to here other interpretations.

botley
12-19-2018, 07:07 AM
Next August is the 25th anniversary of Woodstock '94, will we finally get the show on Blu-ray remastered from the original analogue HD camera source and remixed in 5.1?

ryanmcfly
12-19-2018, 08:34 AM
Next August is the 25th anniversary of Woodstock '94, will we finally get the show on Blu-ray remastered from the original 1080i analogue HD camera source and remixed in 5.1?

Woodstock was shot in HD???

botley
12-19-2018, 09:44 AM
Woodstock was shot in HD???
Yes! (http://www.vu-la.com/papers/950323_Woodstock94.pdf) It was in the very early stages of adoption (but not in the Japanese market, where HD satellite broadcasts were already taking place). They shot the whole festival in the 1125-line "HiVision" camera format, so it's theoretically possible to convert for a modern HD digital release, provided all the original camera rushes exist and can still be played back. I believe the audio was all recorded in multi-track digital format as well.

Bob Dylan's 30th Anniversary concert celebration in 1992 was shot in this video format (http://www.vu-la.com/papers/950323_Woodstock94.pdf), too, and saw a Blu-ray release recently that looks outstanding.

BRoswell
12-19-2018, 10:39 AM
Next August is the 25th anniversary of Woodstock '94, will we finally get the show on Blu-ray remastered from the original 1080i analogue HD camera source and remixed in 5.1?

That would be great, but considering how Trent felt about that performance afterwards, I doubt it'll happen. It's one of the band's best in terms of pure performance, but the technical issues they encountered, plus the odds of getting the original master tapes for it, definitely work against it. Never say never though, especially with Nine Inch Nails. :p

botley
12-19-2018, 11:11 AM
That would be great, but considering how Trent felt about that performance afterwards, I doubt it'll happen. It's one of the band's best in terms of pure performance, but the technical issues they encountered, plus the odds of getting the original master tapes for it, definitely work against it. Never say never though, especially with Nine Inch Nails. :p
I just think it's a shame that the 'official' documents we have (including the so-called official "Music Vault" version on YouTube) are pretty sorry representations, given today's technology, of what it must have actually been like to experience that gig in person. It's a super-important moment in the history of the band, one which deserves credible documentation in the best possible archival format, not a dub of a dub from an inferior standard definition feed (looking at you, Closure DVD).

And if they can re-amp things and replace Vrenna's shitty kit trigger noises with better drum samples, so much the better. The band performed well, and an improved audio mix can definitely overcome the apparent technical issues, provided that all the original elements still exist.

Max
12-19-2018, 01:11 PM
Man I don't know about anyone else but I still go on YouTube and watch the crappiest quality version of this concert and go bananas. It was legendary. SO much raw emotion and energy and effort, such a spectacle. There has never been anything quite like it before or since. I would say I wish I had been there, but I really don't. I cannot imagine being 600 rows back suffocating between mud-soaked sweaty dudes. If we ever get HD, sweet, but I'll watch what we've got any day.

Then again I spent my childhood as a human remote control for my parents on our 8-channel wooden-boxed TV set, trying to play with rabbit ears to get those to come in right.

AThousandDaysBefore
12-21-2018, 05:46 PM
http://www.mlinehamart.com/

Where is Trent christmas ornament?

Halo Infinity
12-22-2018, 09:38 PM
I seriously hope that 3D audio effects become more and more of a thing on Nine Inch Nails songs on YouTube. All of them require headphones for the full effect. I was always fascinated with the idea of "getting inside songs" with the sounds going around, in front, behind, above and below me.

There's just so many songs that'll go great with those effects, but for I just found Hurt, Every Day Is Exactly The Same and Only in what they call "8D Audio". And again, it's best to use headphones for this type of thing. (At least for the best results, that is. For me, it's with headphones, lying down and just daydreaming/dozing off.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj9T4XI7XYo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_DFEGu495U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN23JxvAKAo

mauro995
12-23-2018, 03:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKnSfgjVqJU&

snichols
12-23-2018, 05:04 PM
fuuuck that's awesome footage!!!

Lerxto
12-23-2018, 08:54 PM
Around this time 2 years ago, out of nowhere, NIN announced NTAE, Fragile Deviations 1 and the vinyl reissues.
I need that feeling back.

Halo Infinity
12-23-2018, 10:31 PM
poro765 - For whatever reason, the commercials and trailers for Closure, The Fragile, Things Falling Apart and With Teeth usually do the trick for me when it comes to that feeling you speak of. However, considering all that we've received just from 2013-2018 alone, while also considering all the work that's been done from 2008-2012, it's all absolutely good and positively well from my end.

I still understand what you mean though. It's just a guarantee every single time Nine Inch Nails is about to release something, and it's not just the anticipation. There always seems to be a unique experience and story attached to just about each and every single release, and if not necessary always, at least most of the time.

Ribbitman
12-24-2018, 08:40 PM
I believe Just Like You Imagined is the greatest instrumental ever created in this world. There are bascially no words to describe it. It's amazing how it has the calmer part, then the pure rage part, with the piano bridging the two. I always picture the violence of nature, or planets colliding for some reason when I listen to it.

piggy
12-24-2018, 11:31 PM
That's kind of how I feel about "The Mark Has Been Made", dude.

astfgyl
12-25-2018, 09:33 AM
I seriously hope that 3D audio effects become more and more of a thing on Nine Inch Nails songs on YouTube. All of them require headphones for the full effect. I was always fascinated with the idea of "getting inside songs" with the sounds going around, in front, behind, above and below me.

There's just so many songs that'll go great with those effects, but for I just found Hurt, Every Day Is Exactly The Same and Only in what they call "8D Audio". And again, it's best to use headphones for this type of thing. (At least for the best results, that is. For me, it's with headphones, lying down and just daydreaming/dozing off.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj9T4XI7XYo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_DFEGu495U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN23JxvAKAo

Why is it panning from one side to the other over and over? really irritating even though i like the idea. there must be a way to put this to good use. actually metallic spheres did a good job of this

Halo Infinity
12-25-2018, 09:47 AM
Why is it panning from one side to the other over and over? really irritating even though i like the idea. there must be a way to put this to good use. actually metallic spheres did a good job of this
For some it actually has to do with ASMR (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_sensory_meridian_response), which is very hard to explain anybody that doesn't have it as it goes outside of music, but I have it so it's why it's anything but irritating to me. The only way I can explain it for now is that having ASMR is tantamount to having tingling sensations like goosebumps and pins and needles but mostly located on your scalp as far as the top and back of your head, with it traveling down your back in a pleasurable/soothing way. I have noticed that some of these 8D Audios are just left to right though, but they're also meant to go up and down and behind. If it gets strong enough, sometimes you actually get what seem to be quick jolts of shivers, like brain freeze, but in a pleasure way, which sometimes goes down the spine, or just drift off to sleep.

As for non-ASMR reasons, it's meant to drive around your head as if you're going inside the song itself (Or perhaps say, drive you inside and out of the song, while visiting certain parts of it.), as demonstrated in this video regarding NIN and 3D Audio with The Hand That Feeds. I think it's just that, once they find a certain pattern/route of panning to go by, they stick with it and go by that for the rest of the entire song. I haven't seen any directions going up and down in this video though, but they are most likely programs that do that as well, based on what I've heard.

I also sometimes imagine if these can be used to unlock any more potential ARGs and the clues/hints that go with them. (Or any other potential Easter eggs in general for that matter.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce9ZycZ_F4g

astfgyl
12-25-2018, 01:22 PM
yeah i don't think it is a bad idea at all and i would like more of it to be used in general, but less gimmicky

Halo Infinity
12-28-2018, 05:52 PM
I still felt like these deserved a place in the Random NIN Thoughts thread, especially now that 2018 almost over, with the NIN Spotting 2018 thread about to become locked. As a long-time fan of Super Smash Bros., I was pleasantly surprised to see The Hand That Feeds and Heresy go well with the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate trailer.

(Then again, Nine Inch Nails goes well with a lot of things anyway.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImQOQthje0Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KemzmfJ2H2I

Halo Infinity
12-30-2018, 08:09 AM
I found this video of Mantra from Sound City: Real to Reel on the YouTube recommendations after I was searching Nirvana and Nine Inch Nails on YouTube. I have a feeling that I saw this before, but forgot about it. Anyway, I always liked seeing Trent Reznor collaborate with Dave Grohl, especially as a fan of Nirvana as well.

Anyway, I also just wanted to say that I simply just enjoy seeing Trent Reznor enjoying himself, as I liked his smile at the end right just before saying sure afterwords. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2kGNdE0b5Q

hobochic
12-31-2018, 05:35 AM
So I've missed a lot of activity from the nin-community the past years, and that's fine.

But what the hell is this "Doot" meme and why has it been popping up everywhere for the past weeks?

No long explenations required, just a link to whatever....��

sweeterthan
12-31-2018, 06:25 AM
So I've missed a lot of activity from the nin-community the past years, and that's fine.

But what the hell is this "Doot" meme and why has it been popping up everywhere for the past weeks?

“Doot” and “deet” are words that sound like generic electronic music noises. Sing doot over and over to the tune of terrible lie and you’ll get it.

eversonpoe
12-31-2018, 08:26 AM

“Doot” and “deet” are words that sound like generic electronic music noises. Sing doot over and over to the tune of terrible lie and you’ll get it.

additionally - https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/skull-trumpet-doot-doot

StockAvuryah
12-31-2018, 09:15 AM

https://i.imgur.com/ayugemq.jpg

Microwave Jellyfish
12-31-2018, 03:27 PM
Dad's been glued to the tube all evening; the hotel we're staying in has PBS America and The Vietnam War is on at the moment. Don't ask me which episode.

He's aware of TR, of course, but has no idea that those groovy piano motifs are him and Atticus. Hard to keep my smile to myself. Comfy new year's eve.

snichols
12-31-2018, 03:34 PM
Happy New Year everyone! Here's to hoping for a great 2019 with lots more of NIN in our lives.
So for a Christmas present to my parents, my sister went to a site called shutterfly and made a 2019 calendar with photos of my niece on every month. She gave me a discount code and I decided to make myself a calendar rather than buy one with jet fighters, bikinis or cats:) I used photos of the 2017/18 touring cycle that I found online and i even included the album covers for Down In It, PHM and The Fragile on their respective release dates to celebrate the 30th and 20th anniversaries. I think it turned out pretty well.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/49184578_2063372723728201_984551313360551936_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=4eb42dcda230d656df76120026936fb8&oe=5C96E655https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/49205119_2063372753728198_3818376782575304704_n.jp g?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=e3fb9c6b6510ac2474867136984d9738&oe=5CCC0C69https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/49436050_2063372743728199_9041828360572895232_n.jp g?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=5fbf5966f0f4c351d6eaa0ee62e85952&oe=5C9ACF29https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/49527164_2063372837061523_8564785320803958784_n.jp g?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=f62910d24cb1d22e5d795896b4a771bf&oe=5CC642FE

StockAvuryah
12-31-2018, 05:08 PM
Happy new year and may it be full of new NIN projects

JessicaSarahS
12-31-2018, 11:43 PM

https://i.imgur.com/xLmzrVM.jpg

People kept posting it in various NIN FB groups as if it were new and it snowballed into all of the new memes today.

sonic_discord
01-01-2019, 05:26 PM
Is there anyone out there that can help me acquire the "Everything (Instrumental)" track?

sick among the pure
01-01-2019, 07:25 PM
Is there anyone out there that can help me acquire the "Everything (Instrumental)" track?

I don't believe anyone was ever able to find a copy, just knowledge that it supposedly existed on that one demo disc, along with I believe a really short clip. I mean, if I'm wrong and anyone does have the full thing, please PM me.

gorast
01-01-2019, 08:04 PM

https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2431-Everything-Digital-Promo-(inc-Instrumental)?p=300596#post300596

Mediafire link still works. Should be the original wav file.

sonic_discord
01-01-2019, 08:25 PM
https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2431-Everything-Digital-Promo-(inc-Instrumental)?p=300596#post300596

Mediafire link still works. Should be the original wav file.

Thanks! Cheers!

ImTheWiseJanitor
01-02-2019, 07:48 AM
LOTS COMING IN 2019,
TRENT

And that’s all it took for me to get super hype again for more NIN/TR/AR in 2019.

Edit: Also, lol @ "the presence??" being namedropped like 15 minutes into Bird Box. Digging it so far! Going in almost completely clean about what's going on.

mauro995
01-02-2019, 12:17 PM
The Perfect Drug is one of those songs that we have the multitracks, so this thing had to be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovQLpjkARew

StockAvuryah
01-02-2019, 12:46 PM
The Perfect Drug is one of those songs that we have the multitracks, so this thing had to be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovQLpjkARew

Thank you ! Got a wav file ? It's great.

elevenism
01-02-2019, 12:49 PM
It occurred to me today that the last few bars of The Frail are REALLY similar to Bowie's Subterraneans.

mauro995
01-02-2019, 12:58 PM
Thank you ! Got a wav file ? It's great.

Yes! https://drive.google.com/open?id=1va54NJdWgV8N8TfStXMyxaTna1smqACj

bryan_NIN65
01-02-2019, 06:14 PM
And that’s all it took for me to get super hype again for more NIN/TR/AR in 2019.

Lets just hope its not like 2016 again and we have to wait till the end of the year,lol.

eversonpoe
01-03-2019, 10:50 PM
It occurred to me today that the last few bars of The Frail are REALLY similar to Bowie's Subterraneans.

2018 tour that's why it was mashed up with it (along with the lyrics from GBDTD and over & out) when they played it live!

elevenism
01-03-2019, 11:31 PM
2018 tour that's why it was mashed up with it (along with the lyrics from GBDTD and over & out) when they played it live!
I figured that's what they were aiming to do after watching the live video of the latter :)

Frolick Shiawase
01-05-2019, 09:00 PM
I got Not The Actual Events on CD and I've been agonizing over what's different from the Physical Component, and the LP's liner notes or whatever. And on the hype sticker, there's this:
https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/49713974_358042794748019_3114593545848094720_n.png ?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=4765e3c2c5dabea9cea8b1846de4d5e0&oe=5CC41591
I have no idea if it's normal morse code, just put up as a decoration, or what. Also on the booklet, there's lines of lyrics not documented in ninwiki, like
"Im rotting she feels
Black hoods. Fumes slut
I despise all over me" in Branches/Bones

Also there's an abundance of hidden lyrics, a clear layer of varnish was printed all over the booklet.

I don't know if I should dig deeper, as there seems to be a general disdain towards the idea of ARGs... Still, my curiosity is pulling me in directions I don't know if I should go to.

At least, I'd like to complete a bit of the NIN catalog documentation.

EDIT: When scanned and moved around, the booklet forms this, too:
https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/s2048x2048/49428927_405809416822400_729234676052393984_n.png? _nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=4a313c42c76b1a9501003892f35c9408&oe=5C94C502

And my best guesses at "decoding" the morse code were:
EUEFEXTTTEEEDTE
VEFEXT7DN

[NOT THE ACTUAL EVENTS.]

ISA 8 E 2MDI=MYTOBHEHEN
ISATZE TMTIIBOKMOBIETSEN

Hyperpower
01-05-2019, 11:11 PM
whatever happened to whatever was being flimed? there was speculation in one of these threads about one of the Bad Witch tracks getting the music video treatment last i read.
anyone know about this or did it get shelved like a million other NIN/non NIN things have? i've been meaning to ask this for about two weeks now but kept forgetting each time.

i hope whatever it is, sees the light of day...or something like that.

StockAvuryah
01-06-2019, 05:19 AM
EUEFEXTTTEEEDTE
VEFEXT7DN

[NOT THE ACTUAL EVENTS.]

ISA 8 E 2MDI=MYTOBHEHEN
ISATZE TMTIIBOKMOBIETSEN

Sure this goes nowhere but it would be funny if it related even more to the schizophreniadiaries blog and how it was markov-chained to the way it is written in the hidden lyrics. Some kind of key to the "translation".

I'm considering framing my NTAE booklet though.

eversonpoe
01-06-2019, 09:47 AM
it's not morse code, it's the wording about the vinyl crossed out because it's a CD and not a record. otherwise the sticker is identical.

botley
01-06-2019, 10:04 AM
whatever happened to whatever was being flimed? there was speculation in one of these threads about one of the Bad Witch tracks getting the music video treatment last i read.
anyone know about this or did it get shelved like a million other NIN/non NIN things have? i've been meaning to ask this for about two weeks now but kept forgetting each time.

i hope whatever it is, sees the light of day...or something like that.
I think whatever they filmed may have been scrapped in favour of the "Ahead of Ourselves" live clip. But we really have no idea.

Frolick Shiawase
01-06-2019, 02:24 PM
it's not morse code, it's the wording about the vinyl crossed out because it's a CD and not a record. otherwise the sticker is identical.

Ohhhhh, Thanks! That's good to know! I'd never realize that on my own.

I'm considering framing my NTAE booklet though.

Me too. I just need one other CD to complete the "poster", I'd frame it!

Also I found out something else. I shined an UV light on the CD, and the "Blood" it has printed on it, actually glows green. That's some great attention to detail!

zecho
01-06-2019, 11:25 PM
I got Not The Actual Events on CD and I've been agonizing over what's different from the Physical Component, and the LP's liner notes or whatever. And on the hype sticker, there's this:
https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/49713974_358042794748019_3114593545848094720_n.png ?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=4765e3c2c5dabea9cea8b1846de4d5e0&oe=5CC41591
I have no idea if it's normal morse code, just put up as a decoration, or what. Also on the booklet, there's lines of lyrics not documented in ninwiki, like
"Im rotting she feels
Black hoods. Fumes slut

Also there's an abundance of hidden lyrics, a clear layer of varnish was printed all over the booklet.

I don't know if I should dig deeper, as there seems to be a general disdain towards the idea of ARGs... Still, my curiosity is pulling me in directions I don't know if I should go to.

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/s2048x2048/49428927_405809416822400_729234676052393984_n.png? _nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=4a313c42c76b1a9501003892f35c9408&oe=5C94C502

EUEFEXTTTEEEDTE
VEFEXT7DN

[NOT THE ACTUAL EVENTS.]

ISA 8 E 2MDI=MYTOBHEHEN
ISATZE TMTIIBOKMOBIETSEN

The reason the "hidden lyrics" aren't on the wiki is because they're not lyrics, they're words taken from a wordpress blog written by someone with schizophrenia. There's a section about this on the ninwiki page for the album as a whole.

StockAvuryah
01-07-2019, 08:33 AM
The reason the "hidden lyrics" aren't on the wiki is because they're not lyrics, they're words taken from a wordpress blog written by someone with schizophrenia. There's a section about this on the ninwiki page for the album as a whole.

They are on the physical component and booklet and you need the right angle and light to see them : hidden

Lyrics on the album are taken from it : hidden lyrics

zecho
01-07-2019, 01:06 PM
They are on the physical component and booklet and you need the right angle and light to see them : hidden

Lyrics on the album are taken from it : hidden lyrics

I mean that they're not lyrics as they're unrelated to the songs and weren't written for music. They're just part of the artwork. It'd be more accurate to call them hidden words.

ricardo
01-07-2019, 02:47 PM
Undercurrents from the Bird Box soundtrack is amazing.

katara
01-07-2019, 03:04 PM
I mean that they're not lyrics as they're unrelated to the songs and weren't written for music. They're just part of the artwork. It'd be more accurate to call them hidden words.
Many of the extra lyrics in Branches/Bones are from here: https://schizophreniasdiary.wordpress.com/

Whether this is or isn't related to NIN directly is unclear. We're presuming it is.

Halo Infinity
01-08-2019, 11:42 PM
I've done this with other musicians' discographies, but this is what I came up when imagining what it must've been like for those that have grown up with Nine Inch Nails from the very start.

I've also done this when any series/franchise and just imagined them being juxtaposed to various ages and phases of life. Even more interesting is when I actually hear and see cases of fans that have actually lived it and/or still are living it.

-Oh, and I know that college/marriage/children isn't for everybody. I just made an example for those might've gone through with those choices/lifestyles.-

Pretty Hate Machine - Broken (Middle School - High School)

Broken - The Downward Spiral (High School - College)

The Fragile - With Teeth (College - Career)

Year Zero - Hesitation Marks (Career - Marriage and/or Children) *Career would/should be a given at this point and beyond anyway.*

Hesitation Marks - Bad Witch (Taking your kids to their very first NIN show with you.) ;) *Which I have actually seen in real life last year.*

But yes, I sometimes enjoy seeing and hearing of the changes other people go through while actively following any interests so loyally with some level of devotion and adoration. It's like how gamers grow up with their franchises, and should they have kids, also pass it down to them as well.

This also includes my fascination of how the meanings/feelings/thoughts of certain albums and songs change/grow with us as we go through life.

And well, I just picked NIN as an example, simply because ETS. *And the fact that I've done it before anyway.* :p

Fred
01-09-2019, 03:38 AM
"Im rotting she feels
Black hoods. Fumes slut

EUEFEXTTTEEEDTE
VEFEXT7DN

[NOT THE ACTUAL EVENTS.]

ISA 8 E 2MDI=MYTOBHEHEN
ISATZE TMTIIBOKMOBIETSENThe stuff on the hype sticker isn't Morse code. The lines are remnants of the hype sticker text that refers to vinyl. Off the top of my head, the first line reads "The preferred edition of NOT THE ACTUAL EVENTS" or something like that, and there are references to 180 g vinyl. They've passive aggressively removed the text in a sloppy manner to diss the CD edition.

It's a fun little stunt, but nothing deeper than that.

hobochic
01-09-2019, 09:11 AM
Well, since Atticus is an official member of NIN, I might as well crowbar this forgotten pearl into the random nin thoughts thread.

Mostly cause I love the visuals, Chris Cunningham and a young Atticus + lovely wife Claudia Sarne with their former band 12 Rounds and the song Personally. This track brings me back to the 90's big time when I lived in Costa Mesa, Orange County, and loved/hated it.

Anyway, Trent liked it too and signed them to Nothing Records. The rest is history:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x137u

botley
01-09-2019, 12:38 PM
Well, since Atticus is an official member of NIN, I might as well crowbar this forgotten pearl into the random nin thoughts thread.

Mostly cause I love the visuals, Chris Cunningham and a young Atticus + lovely wife Claudia Sarne with their former band 12 Rounds and the song Personally. This track brings me back to the 90's big time when I lived in Costa Mesa, Orange County, and loved/hated it.

Anyway, Trent liked it too and signed them to Nothing Records. The rest is history:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x137u

It is a cool track and a great video. Always wondered why this song didn't make it on the Jitter Juice LP... or, for that matter, on The Work of Chris Cunningham DVD.

Erneuert
01-10-2019, 08:36 AM
Kinda surprised TR hasn’t chimed in yet on the 128kbps Bird Box mp3 files, and clarified if the correct title is And It Keeps Coming or And It Keeps On Coming. teitan

Frolick Shiawase
01-10-2019, 10:59 AM
The stuff on the hype sticker isn't Morse code. The lines are remnants of the hype sticker text that refers to vinyl. Off the top of my head, the first line reads "The preferred edition of NOT THE ACTUAL EVENTS" or something like that, and there are references to 180 g vinyl. They've passive aggressively removed the text in a sloppy manner to diss the CD edition.

It's a fun little stunt, but nothing deeper than that.

Thanks so much for the clarification! It was driving me nuts!

Fred
01-10-2019, 11:15 AM

Cheers! There are clearly a lot of clues in the packaging of these three releases (especially NTAE), but it’d be a shame to waste time on a false lead [emoji4]

Andallthatcouldhavebeen
01-11-2019, 11:02 AM

I had both up on my wall so I took a picture if you wanted to see. I'm late to what appears to be a finished conversation but Fred pretty much summed it up.

http://imgur.com/gallery/M8e33FV

Frolick Shiawase
01-11-2019, 08:07 PM
I had both up on my wall so I took a picture if you wanted to see. I'm late to what appears to be a finished conversation but Fred pretty much summed it up.

http://imgur.com/gallery/M8e33FV

Even so, thank you so much for the side by side comparison! I appreciate your photo!

Halo Infinity
01-12-2019, 10:47 PM
I've always loved hearing the ending of Ringfinger at the start of Closure alongside the scream from The Downward Spiral (The Bottom) and Mr Self Destruct's "I am the voice inside your head.". I love how it basically pumps you up for the rest of the video, albeit being the entire point, but it just never gets old to me. I also mean that for the rest of the songs from that era being mashed up near each other in the intro as well.

It's as if it was saying that the Pretty Hate Machine era is now closed and has exited the building. Enter The Downward Spiral. The new challenger has arrived. (With A Warm Place also nicely wrapping up the "closure" vibe of Closure later on.)

katara
01-13-2019, 03:41 AM
Enter The Downward Spiral. The new challenger has arrived.
I'm looking forward to the Pig March Final Smash.

nooneimportant
01-25-2019, 10:39 PM
I want a studio version of the Subterraneans cover they played on this past tour. I thought the 1995 version was great but the new one is even better.

snichols
01-26-2019, 01:44 PM
i cant give everything away into subterraneans (with GBDTD lyrics) studio version would be amazing.

Max
01-26-2019, 07:04 PM
Agree!

ImTheWiseJanitor
01-28-2019, 07:40 PM
God damn, I love this song. It's been way too long since I last gave it a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA0Ok6-IeiQ

GavinCollins420
01-29-2019, 05:43 AM
God, Ahead of Ourselves is exceptionally great.

Probably my favourite NIN song since the Year Zero days.

Sent from my H8416 using Tapatalk

JessicaSarahS
01-29-2019, 03:31 PM
God damn, I love this song. It's been way too long since I last gave it a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA0Ok6-IeiQ

I miss this so much! <3

ImTheWiseJanitor
01-29-2019, 03:57 PM
I miss this so much! <3

Just makes me want a new live DVD release that much more! D:

Steven
01-29-2019, 11:51 PM
Man I just can't get over how much I dig Ahead of Ourselves. We haven't had that cathartic, PISSED the fuck off NIN rager in a while. Even better how none of it is manufactured/fake anger, you look at the lyrics you can see how disgusted TR/AR are with things, and I feel like a lot of us here vibe with that.

Reaps
01-30-2019, 03:10 AM
Was just thinking why there isn't a dedicated fan/board youtube channel, with so many talented board members it would be nice to watch video's like a weekly/monthly news roundup etc.. so many possibilities.

ImTheWiseJanitor
01-30-2019, 04:15 AM
Was just thinking why there isn't a dedicated fan/board youtube channel, with so many talented board members it would be nice to watch video's like a weekly/monthly news roundup etc.. so many possibilities.

Not quite the same, but the other night on a NIN Facebook group there was a little “watch party,” where people could enter suggestions for NIN videos, covers, stuff from related bands, etc. and everyone could just chat and comment while they played. It was actually kinda fun! The biggest drawback was that it seemed like we were limited to videos hosted on Facebook or something, no YouTube, so if you knew of something that you wanted to share but it was only on YouTube, you were outta luck.

hobochic
01-30-2019, 04:38 AM
Love Somewhat Damaged.

Probably listened to it in all occasions.

Love(d) The Walking Dead.

Probably seen most episodes. (I know I have).

Still, the opening scene when one character plays Somewhat Damaged (from a "Running Mix" CD) as her family members sit and stare, just doesn't seem right. It feels like they didn't decide on what music to play when they filmed it, until someone cracked the idea in post production.

Funny, but misplaced to the point of random as shit.

Had it been up to me, the scene would've started with the character pressing play on "The Frail" - followed by "The Wretched"

Mix it down to a proper length (while Carol prepares her tuna casserole), but end it with the real ending, right before the opening credits start:

"You can try to stop it but it keeps on coming – You can try to stop it but"

Kulerage
01-30-2019, 05:48 PM
Forgive me if this has been said before, but...
I was listening to my music, when I happened upon an oh so familiar melody recurring throughout The Downward Spiral in another song by someone else.

The main guitar melody in Run Like Hell by Pink Floyd is very similar to the Downward Spiral motif. I know Pink Floyd was a big influence on Reznor, and maybe it was more of a stylistic inspiration.

chuckrh
01-31-2019, 03:32 AM
I think Trent would be ideal as the presenter of the Cure at the Hall of Fame this year. Obviously he's a fan & I'm sure he would give a great speech.

buzburbank
02-01-2019, 10:25 AM
I think Trent would be ideal as the presenter of the Cure at the Hall of Fame this year. Obviously he's a fan & I'm sure he would give a great speech.

I’ll set the over/under on fan chant disruptions protesting NIN’s omission at 3 1/2.

”LET TRENT IN! LET TRENT IN!”

While I would tune in if it happened, I wonder if the RRHoF has ever had an obvious snub give an induction speech.

chuckrh
02-02-2019, 01:38 AM
I’ll set the over/under on fan chant disruptions protesting NIN’s omission at 3 1/2.

”LET TRENT IN! LET TRENT IN!”

While I would tune in if it happened, I wonder if the RRHoF has ever had an obvious snub give an induction speech.

Plenty of people have given speeches that weren't in the hall yet. Even though I doubt Trent reallly cares, it would help the cause of NIN being inducted. NIN needs to be there!!!! Actually, situation is similar to the Cure until this year. & the Cure have been around 40 years. I was looking at it as a fan inducting an influence. & I'm sure Trent would do a fine job.

WorzelG
02-02-2019, 02:56 AM
Plenty of people have given speeches that weren't in the hall yet. Even though I doubt Trent reallly cares, it would help the cause of NIN being inducted. NIN needs to be there!!!! Actually, situation is similar to the Cure until this year. & the Cure have been around 40 years. I was looking at it as a fan inducting an influence. & I'm sure Trent would do a fine job.
I agree I always enjoy reading or listening to his stories about influences, like the Depeche Mode Facebook post and his general commentary on David Bowie and Gary Numan. I honestly don’t think NIN have been that snubbed compared to even The Cure who are only just getting in. The main annoyance I had when NIN didn’t get in was more that Green Day did on their first go and I HATE pop punk!

i love that Thom Yorke isn’t even going because he has a prior engagement err 9 days after the induction, ha ha.

sweeterthan
02-05-2019, 09:33 AM
This is so boring. I miss the tour.

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-05-2019, 10:10 AM

You think it’s boring here, you should see the Facebook group where every week someone comes in to say they heard Trent Reznor is quitting Nine Inch Nails. Clearly having paid zero attention to anything that was said over the course of the last tour in regards to what’s down the line for Nine Inch Nails...

It’s certainly unfair to assume everyone pays attention to that sort of thing as much as, say, some of us here do, but if you do any sort of simple digging into interviews from the past 6 months, you can find answers pretty easily.

sheepdean
02-05-2019, 01:40 PM
You think it’s boring here, you should see the Facebook group.
No, don't

patj825
02-05-2019, 01:58 PM

Board? Do what I do, and listen to Nothing Left To Lose (Live 2017-2018 audio compilation).

sweeterthan
02-05-2019, 01:59 PM
Board? Do what I do, and listen to Nothing Left To Lose (Live 2017-2018 audio compilation).

This is good advice.

nooneimportant
02-06-2019, 12:49 AM
I really love this bit from @ninlive (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1141) about the New Years Eve 1994 show.

"Supposedly at the show (Detroit 12/31), there was a countdown to the New Year followed by a NIN, Pop Will Eat Itself, and the Jime Rose Circus coming together on stage to sing Auld Lang Syne, Finck did a harmonica solo, then NIN began their encore set."

Hopefully we get to hear Robin's sick harmonica solo some day.

Dr Channard
02-07-2019, 11:44 AM
Since we are bored…

Imagine, Trent and Atticus interviewed on Hot Ones with Sean Evans. Could they go the distance? Who could make this happen?

ninlive
02-07-2019, 11:54 AM
I only have CDs to play in my car. So I made a trilogy album and really the first time I listened to all of it. Damn, all of the tracks are so good. I can't believe how much I love Burning Bright. I still think Add Violence is my favorite out of the 3 EPs. Ahead of Ourselves is probably my favorite from Bad Witch.

eversonpoe
02-07-2019, 04:29 PM
Since we are bored…

Imagine, Trent and Atticus interviewed on Hot Ones with Sean Evans. Could they go the distance? Who could make this happen?

isn't trent a vegetarian? he'd probably be eating hot tofu instead of hot wings, which i'm guessing would be blasphemy to a lot of people. BUT i love those interviews and i think it'd be a lot of fun.

atticus would probably just vape the hot sauce, amirite?

sheepdean
02-07-2019, 04:33 PM
isn't trent a vegetarian? he'd probably be eating hot tofu instead of hot wings, which i'm guessing would be blasphemy to a lot of people. BUT i love those interviews and i think it'd be a lot of fun.

Cauliflower wings >>>>>>>>>>>> tofu wings

ryanmcfly
02-07-2019, 04:43 PM
isn't trent a vegetarian?

I've never heard this one before. Could be true, wouldn't shock me.

BRoswell
02-07-2019, 10:20 PM

They've had vegetarians/vegans on the show before. They just do tofu wings or some other veggie-based item.

And I'd watch the hell out of that, but I feel like it might be a little too silly for Trent & Atticus.

m0reta
02-08-2019, 02:23 AM

That answer has been archived here (https://nine-inch-nails.livejournal.com/57944.html) bb! :-) Sadly the myspace page that was the source (a person got to interview TR) along w/ the other links is ded ded ded.

sheepdean
02-08-2019, 03:25 AM
That answer has been archived here (https://nine-inch-nails.livejournal.com/57944.html) bb! :-) Sadly the myspace page that was the source (a person got to interview TR) along w/ the other links is ded ded ded.
To be fair, that was a decade ago, who knows now

bobbie solo
02-08-2019, 08:35 PM
Trent's pretty conscious of his image. I think his willingness to let his hair down would not reach what's required to go through the Hot Ones thing. Those last 4 or 5 sauces usually kick your ass and reactions can be pretty severe/hilarious. Dunno if Trent would want to appear that way.

That being said, I would absolutely love to be proven wrong. Would be a great interview. Sean has some great questions generally.

Deepvoid
02-09-2019, 04:39 PM
I've been a Hot Ones fan since day 1 and it never crossed my mind even once to have TR & AR as guests on the show. I don't think the format his compatible with their personalities. Furthermore, they are just not "mainstream" enough for the show in my opinion.

BRoswell
02-09-2019, 09:23 PM
I've been a Hot Ones fan since day 1 and it never crossed my mind even once to have TR & AR as guests on the show. I don't think the format his compatible with their personalities. Furthermore, they are just not "mainstream" enough for the show in my opinion.

I wouldn't say they're not mainstream enough for it. I just don't see them really fitting in with the format. The show seems to attract comedians and rappers for the most part. Trent & Atticus are very subdued, so I'm not sure they would bring enough humor to the proceedings.

On a related note, this year will mark ten years since Trent did his fan Q&A, and I would love it if he and Atticus did another one.

Substance242
02-10-2019, 11:33 AM
...CDs to play in my car. So I made a trilogy album...

mp3tag says all three are 78m41s, did it fit on one Audio CD?

Also, ADD VIOLENCE is the best one indeed. :-)

BRoswell
02-10-2019, 01:03 PM
mp3tag says all three are 78m41s, did it fit on one Audio CD?

CD-Rs can go to 80 minutes, so it should just fit on one.

ninlive
02-10-2019, 01:20 PM
Yeah, I was pretty stoked this made it to one CD! I arranged them in an order I thought they would flow. Even though Trent stated that they are supposed to be listened to in succession.

The tracks really translated well live. I would love to hear Background World be played as the last song one time and loop distort out like it does on the album. One by one the band members walk off stage... Doesn't have to be the full 14 minutes. But an extended edited version would be awesome.

Max
02-11-2019, 12:40 PM
Greta Van Fleet won best rock album at the grammys. I Saw them on SNL a couple weeks ago for the first time and could not stop thinking they are a joke - like Tenacious D or something. They are like a parody of a 70' rock cover band, led by Frodo Baggins. I don't get it at all.

Bad Witch was a work of art.

Kids these days, grumble grumble, get off my lawn...

ImTheWiseJanitor
02-12-2019, 06:49 AM
I would absolutely love to find out that TR/AR are secretly working on music for the Twilight Zone revival. Been watching that series for the first time this past week and it’s a trip. I think I’ve seen three episode titles so far that were used for song titles in Trent’s projects (which I’m 100% sure is common knowledge here, I’m just late to the party), so that’d be one reason I’d like to see it happen, but also because it really feels like their music would suit the show’s tone wonderfully. I can imagine a number of Ghosts/TSN/TGWTDT/etc. songs that could be dubbed over any given episode from the original series and still fit in perfectly.

Of course, I’m biased as fuck, but...really, who would be a better fit?

BRoswell
02-12-2019, 09:14 AM
I would absolutely love to find out that TR/AR are secretly working on music for the Twilight Zone revival. Been watching that series for the first time this past week and it’s a trip. I think I’ve seen three episode titles so far that were used for song titles in Trent’s projects (which I’m 100% sure is common knowledge here, I’m just late to the party), so that’d be one reason I’d like to see it happen, but also because it really feels like their music would suit the show’s tone wonderfully. I can imagine a number of Ghosts/TSN/TGWTDT/etc. songs that could be dubbed over any given episode from the original series and still fit in perfectly.

Of course, I’m biased as fuck, but...really, who would be a better fit?

It's definitely possible. The original series used music from different composers throughout it's run, and Black Mirror has already set a precedent for having well-known composers score episodes (including an episode scored by the 12 Rounds crew).

ryanmcfly
02-15-2019, 10:46 AM
I had a dream that i won a 3.7 billion dollar Mega millions jackpot and I used my money to convince Trent (by donating alot to some charity of his choice) to host an ETS exclusive show at Red Rocks.... then i woke up and was sad.

patj825
02-15-2019, 12:24 PM
I had a dream that i won a 3.7 billion dollar Mega millions jackpot and I used my money to convince Trent (by donating alot to some charity of his choice) to host an ETS exclusive show at Red Rocks.... then i woke up and was sad.

How much did you donate?

ryanmcfly
02-15-2019, 01:36 PM
How much did you donate?

I think it was like 50 million or something like that.

Detunez
02-15-2019, 09:14 PM
I somehow always seem to imitate the tones and sounds from the percussion instruments on Pretty Hate Machine whenever i make percs in a DAW. They aren't intentional clones or even intentional imitations. They always just sound a bit similar. Probably because i really like them. ~ Random NIN thoughts after closing a DAW.

fillow
02-16-2019, 11:53 AM
Listen to the sample of Love is Not Enough in this tape (source 2): http://ninlive.com/shows/2005/20050518.html and tell me the beats at the very beginning weren't reused by Trent on The Great Destroyer

BRoswell
02-16-2019, 02:18 PM
Listen to the sample of Love is Not Enough in this tape (source 2): http://ninlive.com/shows/2005/20050518.html and tell me the beats at the very beginning weren't reused by Trent on The Great Destroyer

"Reused" probably isn't completely accurate. It's more likely that Trent just used the same instrument.

eachpassingphase
02-16-2019, 07:35 PM
Greta Van Fleet won best rock album at the grammys. I Saw them on SNL a couple weeks ago for the first time and could not stop thinking they are a joke - like Tenacious D or something. They are like a parody of a 70' rock cover band, led by Frodo Baggins. I don't get it at all.

Bad Witch was a work of art.

Kids these days, grumble grumble, get off my lawn...

I'm not surprised that GVF won that category because they were basically the only rock band to get any mainstream airtime aside from Fallout Boy this year. The rock category was more anemic than usual this year, which is really saying something because it's been a race to the bottom for years.

Bad Witch really should have been nominated, not because it got a ton of airplay (rock generally doesn't now for anybody) but because of how successful the tour was. I kept seeing tags about it all over Twitter and Instagram from folks that I didn't even peg as fans. That's usually enough to get their attention for a new album.

Buuuut....I don't think Trent will ever be up for a Grammy ever again since providing them a "heartfelt FUCK YOU GUYS" on Twitter a few years back. And I don't think it bothers him at all to not be nominated. He's won before, and has frankly accomplished a lot more than winning a Grammy. He's at the stage in his career where it doesn't matter at all. I think it's really fun for new artists to win them, then they quickly realize what a racket the Grammy's really are. Plus, music award shows aren't really popular like they were when I was growing up.

MrLobster
02-16-2019, 09:55 PM
I wouldn't say they're not mainstream enough for it. I just don't see them really fitting in with the format. The show seems to attract comedians and rappers for the most part. Trent & Atticus are very subdued, so I'm not sure they would bring enough humor to the proceedings.

I think I have the answer... Ilan. Ilan on Hot Ones. Yeah.

ninlive
02-17-2019, 10:46 AM

I effing love that song live. Hot damn, those power chords.

sick among the pure
02-17-2019, 12:03 PM

And, well, the timing makes sense with putting Year Zero together on the road the next touring leg.

chuckrh
02-17-2019, 04:07 PM
been listening to a lot of tapes from the last tour. i love how Trent throws down the random HEY!. kind of like a really pale James Brown... :D

WorzelG
02-19-2019, 10:44 AM
After the London shows last year and the EPs and following recordings of the CBI tour i am ridiculously excited for the new stuff in 2019. Just hope we aren't waiting till December!

Steven
02-19-2019, 08:09 PM
The only two genres/directions that TR/NIN haven't done yet that I would die to hear would be some more progressive rock/metal type songs and shoegaze/post-rock type instrumentals. I feel like after the trilogy and bad witch that TR/AR are going in a more art-rock/metal direction which is awesome too.

gorast
02-19-2019, 08:29 PM
I'm not really expecting new NIN this year, to be honest. A full album of music spread out over the past two years, a bunch of touring, pretty much an entire album cycle, I think that means that Trent and Atticus will put NIN on the backburner for a little while to focus on other things. I'm anticipating mostly score stuff and the vinyl reissues, but maybe there'll be something weird too, like new HTDA or even a new side project. Not NIN, though.

Max
02-20-2019, 07:07 AM
I'm not really expecting new NIN this year, to be honest. A full album of music spread out over the past two years, a bunch of touring, pretty much an entire album cycle, I think that means that Trent and Atticus will put NIN on the backburner for a little while to focus on other things. I'm anticipating mostly score stuff and the vinyl reissues, but maybe there'll be something weird too, like new HTDA or even a new side project. Not NIN, though.

I would tend to agree. Maybe a one-off single as an experiment. Maybe as part of the greatest hits they owe to Interscope. Hopefully some of the Vibyl that’s been long overdue. Maybe a summer festival circuit.

In some ways I think a break is good. Leave people wanting more. Wait until you are recharged and have something really fresh and interesting to say.

buckaroo
02-20-2019, 07:23 AM

I had expectations that HTDA would be the next major release. However, didn't Trent say in an interview during the touring cycle that the next nin project was already planned?

BRoswell
02-20-2019, 09:42 AM
I don't see us getting any new Nine Inch Nails music this year (I'd love to be proven wrong, of course), but we're getting new score material at least, and I'm hoping we'll get some anniversary goodies for The Downward Spiral and/or The Fragile.

ryanmcfly
02-20-2019, 10:57 AM
I don't see us getting any new Nine Inch Nails music this year (I'd love to be proven wrong, of course), but we're getting new score material at least, and I'm hoping we'll get some anniversary goodies for The Downward Spiral and/or The Fragile.

If we do, i think it'll be something like NTAE was and come out at the tail end of the year. Atticus did say they know what the next NIN release is going to be and they were excited to begin working on it. Hopefully this year we get DEs for With Teeth, The Slip, and Year Zero. The Watchman Score, and *fingers crossed* a Live and Cold and Black and Infinite release.

StockAvuryah
02-20-2019, 02:31 PM
I had expectations that HTDA would be the next major release. However, didn't Trent say in an interview during the touring cycle that the next nin project was already planned?

He did say that, yes. But we'll have the Watchmen score before that. And that's certainly going to be very cool.

klyrish
02-21-2019, 02:45 PM
I'm listening to The Fragile: Deviations 1 for the first time in a long time and about halfway through "One Way To Get There" this weird percussion starts up in the background and I'm 99% positive it's either the exact percussion from "Memorabilia" sped up or is heavily inspired by it.

3knic
02-22-2019, 08:56 AM
I've been listening to Fixed a lot and love how it sounds on my record player. For a long time I considered it a difficult listen but it is magical on vinyl.

FDTS is amazing as is, but a vinyl release would really enhance the listen. I want a combo vinyl of FDTS v1 and v2 that includes everything, as I wouldn't be able to choose either release. It's not too late to make this happen!

alfonso99
02-22-2019, 11:34 AM

NIN will release their live unreleased anthology including the 1995 pro shot, outakes from AATCHB, LITS, Tension and B&C&I. At least 5 blue ray CDs

Halo Infinity
02-23-2019, 06:49 PM
I always still have an urge to listen to The Downward Spiral, The Fragile and With Teeth right next to each other when switching between songs, even in spite of how much Pretty Hate Machine and Broken are also a given for me to listen to whenever I listen to TDS. The journey and legends/chapters throughout those particular NIN eras still fascinate me. It also just sounds very adventurous and inspiring in hindsight depending on my mood altogether.

wizfan
02-28-2019, 05:40 AM
This is too much of a stretch to be called a "NIN spotting", so I'm putting it here. The website Hidden Palace (http://hiddenpalace.org/Main_Page) (a wiki about cancelled/prototype video games) has a logo that features dirt (ok, more like sand) and a computer chip. :D

MrLobster
03-01-2019, 12:01 PM
Remembered this today;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cct9H68qePg

sheepdean
03-01-2019, 06:33 PM
Is React Now Trent covering Cash covering NIN? Considering he does the Cash lyric?

Halo Infinity
03-02-2019, 12:33 AM
I was just thinking about how the number 9 was one of my favorite numbers before I knew about NIN, just like the rectangle also being one of my favorite shapes. I also like how it coincides with NIN being very much a 1990s musician immersed in the 1990s and well known for it, with PHM and TF coming out in 1989 and 1999. That's a lot of 9 right there, including 9 fitting into a rectangle 40 times as far as degrees go. It's also just one of those cases where timing is ultimately everything.

Aside from that, I also wanted to say that I love the way Trent sings/screams "I'm straight. I won't crack. On my way and I can't go back. I'm okay. I'm on track. Lost my way and I won't go back. I'm okay. I won't crack. Lost my way and I can't come back. I'm straight. I won't crack. Lost my way and I can't come back. I'm okay. I won't crack. Lost my way and I can't come back. I'm straight I won't crack. Lost my way. Can't come back. Lost my way. Can't come back. Lost my way. Can't come back. I can't come back."

This is a first for me, as I didn't really look up the live version of Even Deeper that much (And if I heard this one before, it's probably been so long that I might've forgotten about it.), but the way he did it here kind of gave me similar feelings to The Becoming's "It won't give up. It wants me dead. Goddamn this noise inside my head."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqh6H8zaNEQ

Whoa, and as I was just reminded of Nine Inch Nails being referenced on Home Improvement and The Nanny, that means I've definitely heard of NIN and saw a picture of Trent Reznor long before becoming a fan in 2002.

I also like how NIN being referenced on Home Improvement can be looked at as a carpentry or construction pun on top of NIN being huge in 1990s out of all the other references on TV shows and movies. (If I'm not mistaken that is, and for all I know that was probably intentional.) On The Nanny, the joke was of Francine Fine mistaking Nine Inch Nails for Barbra Streisand. If only they did a joke like that on Home Improvement where Timothy Allen and Albert Borland mistake the musician for literal nine inch nails. If only there was also a Tool reference on Home Improvement. But yes, that just hit me too.

Disassociative
03-03-2019, 11:56 AM
I can’t sleep and I’m miserable and ended up finding myself listening to And All That Could Have Been (the song) on repeat and sweet fucking jesus that song rips my heart to shreds

blassster
03-03-2019, 02:40 PM
I hope new NIN has zero reference to old NIN this time.

Detunez
03-04-2019, 05:20 PM
I had the weirdest dream last night and it has been haunting me all damn day. It basically came down to Trent Reznor living together with me and my family... in the house that i grew up in. It was Trent Reznor with his appearance (looks) from the mid to end 90's. He simply was there, moved around the house. talked to me. sometimes he wondered and questioned about every day life, almost as if he tried to understand it as he was sometimes amazed or confused by simple every day things. He seemed tired and worn down, while also looking to bond with other people. He even watched TV with me, or played a bit on a PS2 console. I clearly remember him telling us (me and the others) that he wanted to rest and relax.

The weirdest dream i ever had in terms of famous people. I don't remember ever dreaming about something like that and i am a rather lucid dreamer. Lucid enough to sometimes give me a sense of dreams being another reality. and that is odd in its own right.

Halo Infinity
03-05-2019, 09:34 PM
@Detunez (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=5423) - I've also been there as I actually had a dream of hanging out with Trent Reznor as depicted on Closure. I immediately woke up when I realized that...

1. No fucking way. Ever.

2. Why was I so calm and not awkward, nervous and shy? *Insert "We're not worthy!" vibe from Wayne's World*

3. I wasn't even in my 20s during any part of the 1990s... Just WTF is going on here?

And then I woke up, but to the point where I just shot up out of bed as if I woke up from a nightmare, but it thankfully wasn't since Trent and I got along rather well in my dream and he was very hospitable and polite. The exact moment in the dream when that occurred was when I began attempting to discuss his music with him and then 1-3 slammed me really hard and just kicked me back into real life ASAP. (I'm sure that I also mentioned it somewhere in the NIN dreams thread.)

Oh, right. I also forgot to mention that I was also in Closure during the dream as well and got to meet Marilyn Manson as well.

NotinCnStopMeNow
03-06-2019, 09:14 AM
Just listened to the surround sound mix of With Teeth for the first time in atleast 10 years. Damn we need more of the albums done this way. It’s a completely different album, when people rank the best NIN albums this is the real version that should be considered. Great stuff.

SM Rollinger
03-06-2019, 09:40 AM
The surround mix of TDS is great too.

Halo Infinity
03-06-2019, 09:01 PM
@elevenism (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475) - As somebody born in 1985, I've always noticed that some Halos matched what I was, or what age I turned on that exact year depending on what part of the year the Halo came out. When Year Zero, Ghosts I-IV and The Slip came out, I thought that actually was over but it turns out that some of the Halos have been getting back to matching my age in their respective years.

I'll just name a few of them by the decade.

1990s - The Downward Spiral, Closure, The Fragile

2000s - And All That Could Have Been. Live./Still., With Teeth, Beside You In Time

2010s - Hesitation Marks, Add Violence, Bad Witch

It definitely slipped my mind for a while until I started looking up the Halo numbers again. I also thought of bringing this up in your thread about what age we were and how old we were when we became NIN fans, but I thought it would be better off fitting in here, and I just wanted to let you know. And as mentioned, I thought it came to an end when I saw how close Year Zero, Ghosts I-IV and The Slip came out in addition to all of those Halo numbers being greater than my age at the time. It's the hiatuses that somehow got it back yet again. I also still like how I can always look back and remember that I was half of Trent's age when I saw him live for the first time in my life ever.

So to any other NIN fans out there born in 1985, we kind of got this with some Halos. :p

elevenism
03-06-2019, 09:13 PM
Halo Infinity that's fucking awesome :)

Reznor2112
03-07-2019, 08:14 AM
Alright...time for a new proper live album. The C+B+I tour definitely deserves it. I don't care about a live film but a new live album would be great.

elevenism
03-07-2019, 10:13 AM
Alright...time for a new proper live album. The C+B+I tour definitely deserves it. I don't care about a live film but a new live album would be great.shit, I'd like a film, too. I love those type of things. I've watched Beside You In Time at LEAST fifty times. As a kid, I'm pretty sure I went over the 100 mark with A Show of Hands : I thought you might appreciate that

Reznor2112
03-07-2019, 01:26 PM
shit, I'd like a film, too. I love those type of things. I've watched Beside You In Time at LEAST fifty times. As a kid, I'm pretty sure I went over the 100 mark with A Show of Hands : I thought you might appreciate that

A Show Of Hands is fantastic!

snichols
03-07-2019, 01:43 PM
what is "a show of hands"?

Lerxto
03-07-2019, 06:51 PM
what is "a show of hands"?
It's a live album by Rush.

botley
03-07-2019, 08:15 PM
And a... (shudders) concert video:

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/cf/3c/b9/cf3cb99641deae9f238dabfa5ffe6e0d--steinberger-guitar-geddy-lee.jpg

nooneimportant
03-08-2019, 02:14 AM
I think Only is one of my favorite NIN songs but I don't listen to it nearly as much as you would listen to a favorite song. It's a weird thing.

snichols
03-08-2019, 03:52 AM
I listen to the Only 12 inch with remixes by EL-P and Richard X quite often. Only is great song.

MrLobster
03-08-2019, 04:16 AM
I listen to the Only 12 inch with remixes by EL-P and Richard X quite often. Only is great song.

They're also on the CD single for Every Day Is Exactly The Same... but I gotta say, some of the live performances of Only are also really quite good (LITS).

Halo Infinity
03-08-2019, 05:37 PM
This is definitely going to be a Closure/Woodstock 1994 weekend for me. Those seem to be the ultimate/perfect videos to commemorate The Downward Spiral with. (That is, aside from the 2009 performance of The Downward Spiral in its entirety at the Webster Hall in New York City.)

I've also got to say, that as fascinated as I already am about the overall journey/transition/aftermath of The Downward Spiral to The Fragile to With Teeth, it makes me even more grateful to have Closure, And All That Could Have Been (Live) and Beside You In Time accompany them. Perhaps I'll also watch those videos on The Fragile and With Teeth anniversaries as well.

It makes it even more perfect for me, since for me, the TDS anniversary is on a Friday, and the TF anniversary will be on a Saturday and the PHM anniversary will be on a Sunday.

elevenism
03-08-2019, 08:26 PM
And a... (shudders) concert video:

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/cf/3c/b9/cf3cb99641deae9f238dabfa5ffe6e0d--steinberger-guitar-geddy-lee.jpg
Dude, it's a GREAT concert video. The presentation and visuals are excellent. Yeah, Ged's hair is absurd, but it was the eighties.

Do you not like that era of Rush?

botley
03-08-2019, 10:06 PM
Dude, it's a GREAT concert video. The presentation and visuals are excellent. Yeah, Ged's hair is absurd, but it was the eighties.

Do you not like that era of Rush?
In general, it's okay, but certain things are best left frozen in the 80s (like hair); for example, I can't stand "Closer to the Heart" played with those Simmons E-drums and Wal bass... and that harmonizer effect on the guitar solo... ick.

elevenism
03-08-2019, 11:43 PM
In general, it's okay, but certain things are best left frozen in the 80s (like hair); for example, I can't stand "Closer to the Heart" played with those Simmons E-drums and Wal bass... and that harmonizer effect on the guitar solo... ick.
Well, aren't I a bit older than you?
I haven't watched that vid since I was a teenager. I was watching it over and over on VHS from like, 91 to 96- I was a Rush FANATIC, and the eighties were fairly recent at that point. I was watching it from 7th grade to 10th grade.
For the record, I FAR prefer more recent rush concert vids now, so, in a way, you and me, we agree. I'm reaching for the Alien Shore.

/End Drift

SO. YEah. I want an NIN VIDEO. I NEVER listen to official live albums, aside from a handful of INSANELY iconic recordings, like nirvana unplugged. The visuals are a MaSSIVE part of what "live" means for me, ESPECIALLY with an act like NIN.
I can already hear the argument against what I'm saying: hell, I could write it.
But these are just my (ultimately inconsequential) opinions.

Disassociative
03-10-2019, 03:59 AM
I'm finally listening to the 5.1 mix of With Teeth out of curiosity and holy shit. I need to find a way to listen to the TDS one now I think. I have the remaster with the SACD disc but I have absolutely no idea what to do with it, or if I even have the ability to play back the SACD layer.

Disassociative
03-10-2019, 06:51 AM
Alright I found a guilt free way to listen to it since I already own the SACD and holy. fucking. shit. TR hurry up and release The Fragile like this :C

SM Rollinger
03-10-2019, 08:01 AM
A show of hands is my favorite rush live album, the versions of subdivisons, marathon and witch Hunt are stellar.

chuckrh
03-10-2019, 12:13 PM
score! my local record store has a cafe attached. went for breakfast this morning & found a copy of the 2 disc "and all that could've been" for $5 in used cds. perfect condition. good start to the day!

Halo Infinity
03-10-2019, 01:50 PM
Just listened to the surround sound mix of With Teeth for the first time in atleast 10 years. Damn we need more of the albums done this way. It’s a completely different album, when people rank the best NIN albums this is the real version that should be considered. Great stuff.

The surround mix of TDS is great too.
I know I'm just repeating what's already on most fans' minds, but it always obviously helped that The Downward Spiral and With Teeth are among my most favorite Nine Inch Nails albums. I totally understand, not just a fellow fan, but the fact that it's the ultimate rare case and pleasant surprise of adding more to love on something that was already a lot to love.

Well, aren't I a bit older than you?
I haven't watched that vid since I was a teenager. I was watching it over and over on VHS from like, 91 to 96- I was a Rush FANATIC, and the eighties were fairly recent at that point. I was watching it from 7th grade to 10th grade.
For the record, I FAR prefer more recent rush concert vids now, so, in a way, you and me, we agree. I'm reaching for the Alien Shore.

/End Drift

SO. YEah. I want an NIN VIDEO. I NEVER listen to official live albums, aside from a handful of INSANELY iconic recordings, like nirvana unplugged. The visuals are a MaSSIVE part of what "live" means for me, ESPECIALLY with an act like NIN.
I can already hear the argument against what I'm saying: hell, I could write it.
But these are just my (ultimately inconsequential) opinions.
While I see what you mean as much as I sometimes still like to collect DVDs, I still enjoy listening to And All That Could Have Been (Live) on CD. At the same time though, I'm all for it, as I loved Closure, And All That Could Have Been (Live) and Beside You In Time videos. The visuals are definitely a given and always a reminder that visuals are a tremendous part of NIN's music. On the other hand, sometimes I like to separate the visuals from the audio to see how it holds up. (And hold up it does and then some, but it's also just another form of getting enjoyment out of music to me. I even do this with albums as somebody that also still sometimes like to collect CDs, while appreciating their artwork and liner notes.)

Alright I found a guilt free way to listen to it since I already own the SACD and holy. fucking. shit. TR hurry up and release The Fragile like this :C
I've also, and as I'm sure as many other fans have thought of, was wondering about this since 2009. I hope it finally happens some day. I mean, yeah. I can only hope, dream and wish. But I completely agree nonetheless.

score! my local record store has a cafe attached. went for breakfast this morning & found a copy of the 2 disc "and all that could've been" for $5 in used cds. perfect condition. good start to the day!
Very lucky. I always wished for a deal like that on Still. Happy listening. :)

Andallthatcouldhavebeen
03-10-2019, 08:30 PM
I feel really, really, really stupid for not realizing that the middle of WT isn't silent. I just found out less than a week ago about the absolute gold that's in the middle of the song awithateeha.

elevenism
03-10-2019, 09:24 PM
I feel really, really, really stupid for not realizing that the middle of WT isn't silent. I just found out less than a week ago about the absolute gold that's in the middle of the song awithateeha.

AWITH-ATee-THuh...HaWITHAtee....
@Halo Infinity (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=244) , I feel you, but I'm just not in the same boat. It's a 1st world problem, I thinkm

eversonpoe
03-11-2019, 12:01 AM
Mumford & Sons cover Hurt, the voice is definitely Cash-esque although it’s in Cleveland - I only heard the first few lines, done in a bizarre slow way, not keen although if I get more time to listen perhaps it improves
https://www.binaural.es/noticias/mumford-and-sons-hurt/

fffffffffffFFFFFUCK mumford and sons i fucking hate them so much oh my god they are so awful and every time i hear that guy's voice it makes me want to die

i am absolutely not clicking that link because it will completely ruin "hurt" for me forever

/foaming at mouth

ickyvicky
03-11-2019, 12:38 PM
It's a no from me, dawg.

onthewall2983
03-12-2019, 09:36 AM
I have the remaster with the SACD disc but I have absolutely no idea what to do with it, or if I even have the ability to play back the SACD layer.

Sony is the only major company that makes Blu-ray players with SACD capability. I think even some PlayStations have them too.

Disassociative
03-12-2019, 11:26 AM
Sony is the only major company that makes Blu-ray players with SACD capability. I think even some PlayStations have them too.

Ooh good to know. I think I have a Sony bluray player somewhere

onthewall2983
03-12-2019, 12:41 PM
I found out by happenstance and was so happy for it, despite not having a surround system at the time. Now I do and I've enjoyed listening to the SACD's I've bought, even though I have to switch some wires around to do it.

Frolick Shiawase
03-12-2019, 03:15 PM
I've been wondering, since I haven't held an actual vinyl in my hands, but know a bit or two about stuff and things and whatnot...

Do you think Bad Witch has hidden music in the label itself? A la Lazaretto?

I don't know if the kind of texture I've seen on Bad Witch's photos ( https://img.discogs.com/l9dw-T1utF3U6b5rWwmjGay9wD0=/fit-in/600x595/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():qualit y(90)/discogs-images/R-12156667-1529712939-9459.jpeg.jpg ) is normal in all vinyls, but I haven't seen it, at least, in other vinyl photos.

Anyone willing to fuck up their copy of Bad Witch for the sake of science?

zecho
03-12-2019, 08:29 PM
I've been wondering, since I haven't held an actual vinyl in my hands, but know a bit or two about stuff and things and whatnot...

Do you think Bad Witch has hidden music in the label itself? A la Lazaretto?

I don't know if the kind of texture I've seen on Bad Witch's photos ( https://img.discogs.com/l9dw-T1utF3U6b5rWwmjGay9wD0=/fit-in/600x595/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():qualit y(90)/discogs-images/R-12156667-1529712939-9459.jpeg.jpg ) is normal in all vinyls, but I haven't seen it, at least, in other vinyl photos.

Anyone willing to fuck up their copy of Bad Witch for the sake of science?

Nah, that's a pretty normal texture on vinyl. I wouldn't recommend trying anything with it.

SM Rollinger
03-12-2019, 08:41 PM
I have both versions of TDS and the SACD is the way to go. I use a Sony 5 disc DVD changer I bought in 2004/5 that i still use to this day.

Disassociative
03-12-2019, 09:02 PM
The 2017 DE remaster is my preference on my phone or laptop or wearing headphones or whatever but from now on the surround sound mix is my new favourite way to listen to it when possible :D thankfully I got my PC hooked up to a decent 5.1 system and a proper soundcard so that's a fairly easy way to go for the surround sound version. Would I get crucified for revealing I ended up finding a way to listen to it via a ISO rip of the SACD and playing it through foobar2000 with a plugin? Like I said I already own the SACD so that's my justification :P

3knic
03-15-2019, 10:11 AM
Maybe it is just me, but the bassline (or guitar, i'm not very good with instruments) to Eraser sounds a lot like My Sharona. Crazy it took me 25 years to hear this

mfte
03-15-2019, 12:24 PM
Maybe it is just me, but the bassline (or guitar, i'm not very good with instruments) to Eraser sounds a lot like My Sharona. Crazy it took me 25 years to hear this

A few NIN songs sound like My Sharona

Kulerage
03-16-2019, 10:26 PM
If we're thinking of the same part, it's just two notes alternating between an octave. Still funny, though.

piggy
03-16-2019, 11:33 PM
No, the part the OP refers to is not actually the bassline, it's the synth melody.

snichols
03-17-2019, 03:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADLyTfoOk4s

cheddamash
03-17-2019, 04:00 PM
One of these days I’m gonna flip to the 2nd picture on that eBay listing for Closer and finally see that sweet, sweet white Further Away disk. Any day now... I can feel it.

https://i.imgur.com/R4VmS56.jpg

katara
03-18-2019, 04:16 PM
Between 15-20 years ago, a friend and I were browsing through a local used record shop. They also had a bunch of CDs. My friend comes up to me and says shows me a copy of Closer To God, saying "Hey, you like NIN, right? Look what I found". It was the white disc, and was extremely cheap (iirc about £4). I told him it was pretty rare, and he immediately then went to the counter to buy it. He knew I was a huge NIN fan, yet he bought it for himself.

I think he may have been a huge asshole.

eversonpoe
03-18-2019, 07:03 PM
I think he may have been a huge asshole.

https://i.gifer.com/7BTb.gif

eachpassingphase
03-19-2019, 10:21 PM
I re-watched the Palladium version of "In This Twilight" again tonight. I really do like what Garson added to the song, he's amazingly talented and I like hearing alternate takes on songs I love. But I think I'll always prefer the original recording of it.

Trent mentioned that he felt like he "hid the song" but honestly? That's what I love most about it. I like that the prettiest parts of the song are sort of hidden under that layer of noise. When I think about the larger context of the Year Zero story: a harsh, hateful world where humanity seems to be in its final stages - "In This Twilight" feels like something precious that was hidden away. It's as if the song is the last lovely thing on earth and somebody was trying to protect it by burying it somewhere.

I can't say enough about that song, it really is beautiful. Hope, regret, longing, grief: you hear it all in there, which makes it a truly authentic representation of the human experience. I've had more than one big, ugly cry to that song. I don't think it needs improving whatsoever, but that's just me and I'm no musician.

MrLobster
03-19-2019, 11:07 PM
So here I am just listening to the bootleg of the Dec. 18, 2018 concert and watching a "live" stream of a train conductor's cabin view from a train motoring down the tracks... kinda trippy. Especially at a quick speed and some of the quicker paced songs (Gave Up -> Head Like A Hole, for example).

neorev
03-20-2019, 01:04 AM
So here I am just listening to the bootleg of the Dec. 18, 2018 concert and watching a "live" stream of a train conductor's cabin view from a train motoring down the tracks... kinda trippy. Especially at a quick speed and some of the quicker paced songs (Gave Up -> Head Like A Hole, for example).

Hahaha I like to throw on Slow TV and listen to music as well. It helps me zone out and relax and fall asleep. Underworld is great with Slow TV train rides. ;)

MrLobster
03-20-2019, 02:37 AM
Hahaha I like to throw on Slow TV and listen to music as well. It helps me zone out and relax and fall asleep. Underworld is great with Slow TV train rides. ;)

Normally I like to just watch a live web cam of a part of the city I live in... or just a visualizer within iTunes.

Disassociative
03-20-2019, 08:23 AM
I tend to neglect Things Falling Apart but I'm listening to it right now and I always forgot how good Slipping Away is

fortheloveofgod
03-20-2019, 12:17 PM
NIN should close out Woodstock 50 and play the same setlist from ‘94 and break all their shit again!

buckaroo
03-21-2019, 10:51 AM
"For those interested, we will be releasing a more expansive (read: more self-indulgent) physical-only offering this spring that will contain an additional hour of music and artwork that colors further outside the lines… enter at your own risk!"

So, any day now? I was kind of hoping this would coincide with the next batch of DE's and maybe another deviations...

ltrandazzo
03-21-2019, 11:05 AM
"For those interested, we will be releasing a more expansive (read: more self-indulgent) physical-only offering this spring that will contain an additional hour of music and artwork that colors further outside the lines… enter at your own risk!"

So, any day now? I was kind of hoping this would coincide with the next batch of DE's and maybe another deviations...

The last day of Spring is June 21st.

Microwave Jellyfish
03-29-2019, 03:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcS53QUaJXs

chuckrh
03-29-2019, 04:32 AM
definitely a NIN on the drive to work day. have an overwhelming work & am already exhausted from the week. i work for a huge aerospace corporate satan that has been in the news a lot lately. the giant shit storm from said news hit late yesterday. i am going to need all the attitude i can get today!

Shadaloo
03-29-2019, 05:05 PM
Giving new albums some time to breathe and revisiting in a few months is always, always a good idea. The entire EP trilogy is still collectively kicking my ass and now I'm enjoying the tragicomic experience of experiencing the Cold & Black & Infinite tour vicariously through wonderful recordings.

I don't think I'll ever stop bitching about there not being a stop in Canada. I've heard it was because Evenko vetoed the whole Physical World presale aspect, but who knows. Here's hoping for later this year.

StockAvuryah
03-29-2019, 07:11 PM
halo 12 was closure, halo 22 was beside you in time, too bad halo 32 wasn't a live album..

trollmanen
03-31-2019, 10:33 PM
I was listening to Hesitation Marks today, and while I usually skip over Everything, as it started, I realized the intro drum beat is nearly identical to the live intro drum beat to Branches/Bones. I then thought what a mind fuck it would have been if at one of the shows, they did the Fireman intro, and then that drum beat started, and then all of a sudden, he started into Everything. That would have been pretty cool.

Disassociative
04-01-2019, 09:25 AM
I was listening to With Teeth in the car on the way home from somewhere and The Line Begins To Blur came on and it just clicked how lucky I was to hear that song live in Perth on the 2014 tour. Like it has only been performed twice since the Wave Goodbye tour, it's one of my absolute favorite NIN songs and I was fortunate enough to be able to hear it live at the first NIN show I ever went to. It was a total surprise too - they did MOTP before it but instead of the usual All The Pigs, All Lined Up outro thing they went straight into TLBTB. I'm not trying to brag or anything - I just can't believe my luck that TR decided to bust out that song that night only for it to disappear from setlists again afterwards. It was the highlight of the night for me. Well that and singing along to Head Like a Hole with what seemed like the whole arena. I felt like I belonged, and that's a rare feeling for me lol

For anyone curious - https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-inch-nails/2014/perth-arena-perth-australia-43c2ebe3.html

Shadaloo
04-01-2019, 04:18 PM
Not sure if I've ever seen it discussed, but holy shit do I ever love Sheridan's artwork for Head Down in particular.

https://images.genius.com/c349b11d6a93782960f043743d1176de.800x800x1.jpg

Art is interpreted person to person in different ways of course, but to me this is just this not-even stick figure, barely there, just a line with its head bowed. Exactly what is says on the box, and it's a really stark, bleak image that perfectly encapsulates the defeated POV of the song.

Kulerage
04-01-2019, 06:31 PM
Yeah, The Slip track artworks definitely seem to be some of the more overlooked things in NIN's artwork. Head Down's is actually my favorite, but Letting You's is pretty interesting as well (and almost makes me think it was an outtake from YZ).

Max
04-03-2019, 10:47 AM
I agree with the last two posts. I wish every song had accompanying artwork. I love that idea. Why not?

SM Rollinger
04-03-2019, 11:35 AM
Head Down is my favorite track from The Slip, and IMO it's totally underappreciated.

Would love to see it brought back live someday, I'm glad I saw it in 08 though!

Tabris
04-05-2019, 07:39 AM
Head Down fucking rules. The live version that was on the DVD was amazing and brought it to another level too.

henryeatscereal
04-05-2019, 04:40 PM
Today for the first time i heard "The Downward Spiral" with my mother, lol

SM Rollinger
04-05-2019, 04:51 PM
Head Down fucking rules. The live version that was on the DVD was amazing and brought it to another level too.

My favorite parts are the extra "betcha betcha betcha betcha"'s and the synth part at the end of the song.

katara
04-06-2019, 07:11 AM
+Appendage is one of the best NIN songs ever created. It's a crying shame that the only version we have with vocals is a shitty mp3 from a shitty cassette rip.

eversonpoe
04-06-2019, 09:13 AM
+Appendage is one of the best NIN songs ever created. It's a crying shame that the only version we have with vocals is a shitty mp3 from a shitty cassette rip.

has no one bothered to rip a new cassette version? if i had a better tape deck, i'd do it, but mine is just of "acceptable" quality, so it probably wouldn't sound too much better, even if i encode it as a WAV.

Pyract
04-06-2019, 09:20 AM
I made a new rip a while back in flac, may not be perfect but it's a little better than the old mp3 rip.

http://www.nindestruct.com/music/nine%20inch%20nails%20-%20Please%20Appendage.flac

snichols
04-06-2019, 02:53 PM
Hold up!....i just listened to that flac file for +Appendage for the first time and its awesome, but i have to know from what "shitty cassette" this came from??

Edit: ok so i just went ninwiki and it says this track was exclusive to the cassette version of the Fragile. wow i never knew. makes me wonder what other exclusives i am missing out on:)

zecho
04-06-2019, 06:00 PM
I made a new rip a while back in flac, may not be perfect but it's a little better than the old mp3 rip.

http://www.nindestruct.com/music/nine%20inch%20nails%20-%20Please%20Appendage.flac

Holy shit. This is like, my holy grail. Thank you so much!

sheepdean
04-06-2019, 06:34 PM
Hold up!....i just listened to that flac file for +Appendage for the first time and its awesome, but i have to know from what "shitty cassette" this came from??

Edit: ok so i just went ninwiki and it says this track was exclusive to the cassette version of the Fragile. wow i never knew. makes me wonder what other exclusives i am missing out on:)
I should make a page for tracks only on certain formats.

For now, have a look http://www.nin.wiki/Category:Rare_NIN_Songs

blassster
04-06-2019, 09:54 PM
Not sure if I've ever seen it discussed, but holy shit do I ever love Sheridan's artwork for Head Down in particular.

https://images.genius.com/c349b11d6a93782960f043743d1176de.800x800x1.jpg

Unsure if it was this one, but there was an image shared during the slip era and I believe one of the symbols from the artwork was present in the studio's wall design. Actually I think it was going up pillars. It's probably just my mind making it up though, been almost 11 years now... Then again, maybe it was the other way around and photochopped onto the walls as an easter egg. Can anyone find it or remember? I'm curious to see if my mind is going now.

mauro995
04-08-2019, 03:13 PM
Just saw this video that exposes the scientific theories about the future of the universe with cool visuals and music, and basically it comes to the conclusion that it might become a cold and black and infinite place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD4izuDMUQA

Reznor2112
04-08-2019, 04:32 PM
LOVE Head Down -- but I really wish it had less low end deep bass...I always have to turn it wayyyyyy down when I pull up to a red light next to people.

also:

Just saw this video that exposes the scientific theories about the future of the universe with cool visuals and music, and basically it comes to the conclusion that it might become a cold and black and infinite place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD4izuDMUQA

ARG CONFIRMED

mauro995
04-08-2019, 05:15 PM
ARG CONFIRMED

Yes, right? I can't believe that Trent Reznor invented the universe!

Obviously I didn't mean it that way, but it seemed like an interesting coincidence.

Reznor2112
04-09-2019, 08:22 AM
Yes, right? I can't believe that Trent Reznor invented the universe!

Obviously I didn't mean it that way, but it seemed like an interesting coincidence.

I know. I was only messin. Thought it might entice a giggle or two.

snaapz
04-11-2019, 01:59 PM
I think NIN should put out a rock album with songs on it; structured songs and less abstract.

Not sure why but I was blasting 'Bullet The Blue Sky' by U2 the other day in my car, and then I started thinking about The Cure and how TR praised them.

I know TR isn't U2 or The Cure but.... I wouldn't mind some rock songs (Deep, The Collector, Piggy, Demon Seed, 1,000,000.....)

ryanmcfly
04-11-2019, 02:49 PM
I think NIN should put out a rock album with songs on it; structured songs and less abstract.

So... With Teeth 2: Awitha Boogaloo

StockAvuryah
04-11-2019, 03:36 PM

Not sure why but I was blasting 'Bullet The Blue Sky' by U2 the other day in my car, and then I started thinking about The Cure and how TR praised them.

I know TR isn't U2 or The Cure but.... I wouldn't mind some rock songs (Deep, The Collector, Piggy, Demon Seed, 1,000,000.....)

Oh please no, go more abstract, longer tracks, go post-industrial experimental beep boop shit.

Although a strength of NIN has been to stay on that line between the two.

katara
04-11-2019, 06:28 PM
Doesn't this apply to most of NIN's catalogue?

TR seems to like doing something different every album. With Teeth was his straight-up rock album. Hesitation Marks also had plenty of structured songs. At least half of Bad Witch follows this idea, too, with Shit Mirror, Ahead of Ourselves, and God Break Down The Door.

I'm not sure about structure. Of course every song needs some form of it but I do find it to be quite formulaic. Turning on the radio and listening to the current hits is the same now as it was 20 years ago. The sound is different but the songs are essentially the same old same old. It can get tedious when you know exactly what's going to happen in the next 3 minutes.

All I'm looking for is TRAR to keep doing what they're doing. Surprise us. Make us think. Give us more music to fuck to. Or whatever.

elevenism
04-12-2019, 01:20 AM
So... With Teeth 2: Awitha Boogaloothank you.
That's fucking lol, day brightening hilarity.

Shadaloo
04-12-2019, 01:23 PM
So it's been...Jesus, almost six years since Hesitation Marks was bestowed upon us. I re-listen to it now, and it's such a weird bird.

At the time I saw it as this radical, daring departure, different and somehow familiar, and there's no doubt in my mind the Russell Mills art had a lot to do with that. I'm not alone in this, but for a little while there it was my third-favorite all-time NIN release under TDS and TF. But going back now, and especially in light of the EP trilogy, it's really hard for me to not look at it as, I suppose, a very safe release overall (Everything aside), coming from a guy who maybe wasn't sure what NIN was anymore.

I still do enjoy a good number of the tracks, but that middle section is really all over the place, I think. The fact that Everything and Satellite were written for a greatest hits package kinda seems obvious in retrospect, they stick out like a sore thumb.

I suppose what I wish the most about it is that it had hit just a little harder. I can't be down on TR for the many standout drum machine bits since that was the genesis of the album, but also I can't help but imagine how much having more of a live drum presence would have lifted the album by quite a bit.

Didn't stop me from picking up the vinyl the other day which I'd meant to do since release. :)

ricardo
04-12-2019, 01:58 PM
HM is not one of my favorites. The trilogy sounds way more inspired and diverse IMO.

zecho
04-12-2019, 02:32 PM

That's actually what I love about The Slip. Starts out as the NIN version of standard rock, then becomes increasingly abstract. Kind of reminds me of Low despite sounding nothing like it.