PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Ryan
12-13-2013, 01:12 AM
10 Miles High is my favorite NIN song, lol. No shit either.

fillow
12-13-2013, 02:44 AM
To this day I still can't forget the piece from one of teh-spiral chat transcripts.

Q: Will we ever hear AATCHB, WITT and 10 Miles High live?
TR: yes, maybe and yes.

WTF, TR?

m15a
12-13-2013, 03:02 AM
Which makes it sound like 10 Miles High is verging on filler

well, there's this:

http://www.ninwiki.com/images/4/47/Fragile_diary_062899_TMH.jpg

doesn't say *why* trent wanted to cut TMH, though. or what the "opposing forces" were. and, of course, even if trent didn't like it much then, he might have changed his mind.

EDIT: with all this talking of what does or doesn't exist of TMH, i gotta say, i really would appreciate a "beatles anthology"-esque release of the fragile. i bet there are tons of attempts on songs at various levels. i might even be more interested in the process leading to the development of the songs on the album than any leftovers (*maybe*).

rampface
12-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Seriously guys I'm dying to hear this vinyl rip! Will someone be a friend and help? The Fragile has always been my favorite release and I've never thought to wiki or read up on it until now. All of this information is blowing my mind! I want to try out the alternate tracklist as well.

SarahConnor
12-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Are you asking me or the writer? I think that's Reznor's quote, "my 'happy' record."
IMO its the musically & thematically most subtle record.

Joy Prevention Hotline
12-13-2013, 10:35 AM
EDIT: with all this talking of what does or doesn't exist of TMH, i gotta say, i really would appreciate a "beatles anthology"-esque release of the fragile. i bet there are tons of attempts on songs at various levels. i might even be more interested in the process leading to the development of the songs on the album than any leftovers (*maybe*).
Oh yes oh yes oh yes. That would be awesome.

screwdriver
12-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Trent thanks This Mortal Coil in the sleevenotes for Pretty Hate Machine, Something I can Never Have sounds near identical to a This Mortal Coil tune. Could imagine it being on one of their albums, Specifically something off their second album Filgree and Shadow from 1986. Trent mentioned obsessivley collecting 4AD records via import back in the day.

Also - The Day the Whole Word went Away sound like it really should be on a Spiritualized album.

there's apparently some unused, backwards This Mortal Coil tape loops on Pretty Hate Machine, courtesy of the producer

hobochic
12-13-2013, 11:50 AM
NIN related...

I went back to Danny Lohner's version of "Bring me the disco king" and it managed to knock me out with its awesomeness again and again and again all day long. In the perfect universe Lohner is producing Bowie's next album. Frusciante's guitar melodies are so tender and sad they break my heart in the best possible way. Magical track, remind your friends it exists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLRETBpf5q4

Ryan
12-13-2013, 04:39 PM
NIN related...

I went back to Danny Lohner's version of "Bring me the disco king" and it managed to knock me out with its awesomeness again and again and again all day long. In the perfect universe Lohner is producing Bowie's next album. Frusciante's guitar melodies are so tender and sad they break my heart in the best possible way. Magical track, remind your friends it exists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLRETBpf5q4

I've always wondered why it's listed as "Loner" mix rather than "Lohner" - was it intentional or a typo?

Halo Infinity
12-13-2013, 07:43 PM
I still hope that I was mistaken, but at the Nine Inch Nails concert I've attended, it really sounded like somebody screamed, "This song sucks!" when A Warm Place started playing.

Oh well, whoever that was, if you're reading this and are an ETS member that attended the show on October 14, 2013, and said that at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, feel free to post right this way (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2130-Controversial-Nine-Inch-Nails-opinions). :p

It's just one of those things I thought that I would never live to hear, and thought of getting it in here at least before 2013 ends. I was actually surprised and amazed at that actually being said during A Warm Place.

And as for another random thought, depending on my mood, A Warm Place can actually get me to think of cuddling. :)

botley
12-13-2013, 09:22 PM
there are always many forms of a song that exist before the final version is chosen for the track. but those versions might not be "saved" or complete or of much interest.

the version on the album is not a remix because it's the originally released version. it's a "mix" like every other track is a mix. a track is called a "remix" if there was already an original mix released. might be that one of the reasons the word "version" was used instead of "remix" was to not label one as coming from the other . .

in other words, the version on the album is still a "version" even though it's not a "(version)" but there's no such thing as a "not a version" version. :p :confused:
I take your point, but just about every other NIN song ever released has audible lyrics. The ones on the album version of "10 Miles High" are deliberately obscured. TR alluded to this in an online chat (http://www.nin-pages.de/chat_spin_21_11_00.htm) circa 2000:

10 Miles High was a full song that had three completely different sets of lyrics and choruses during the course of its life span. When it came time to put the Fragile together, and decide what was gonna get kept, that song took a bullet. But we left a little reminder of it on there, and we put one of the versions on the vinyl version of The Fragile. There are other versions with varying degrees of embarrassing lyrics that are floating around the vaults here.

So, there is no "finished" version, really. NIN circa 1999 was more into textural experimentation than lyrical clarity and precision. The song has no home, it's an orphan.

I think you guys reading too much into it.
Metal is manipulated by TR and Alan Moulder. Does this make it a remix?
It's certainly not the "original" version, which is on the 1979 album The Pleasure Principle by Gary Numan. Said persons manipulated this (along with the Polymoog line from "M.E." off the same album) into the NIN arrangement.

sick among the pure
12-13-2013, 10:07 PM
11 pages and 3100 words later, I gave a brief summary of Trent's hand in participatory culture. Calling it good enough since I went a little over what I was asked to write (but that's ok). I had to mention this somewhere that people would appreciate it.
(Also, it was my last college paper ever)

Joy Prevention Hotline
12-13-2013, 10:38 PM
TR alluded to this in an online chat (http://www.nin-pages.de/chat_spin_21_11_00.htm) circa 2000
In that chat TR sounds exactly like the person he is in interviews now. You wouldn’t expect the darker currents of his life to come out in an online chat, so I’m not talking about that whole side of things — just the way he talks about his music and what’s important to him.

Makes it hard for me to buy the whining that HM is just a shadow of <insert album here> because Happy Trent has somehow sucked all the life out of NIN while we weren’t looking. Or that Angry Trent would have puked at the thought of having backup singers on stage in 2013.

Some things change. Some things never do.

m15a
12-14-2013, 12:06 AM
I take your point, but just about every other NIN song ever released has audible lyrics. The ones on the album version of "10 Miles High" are deliberately obscured. TR alluded to this in an online chat (http://www.nin-pages.de/chat_spin_21_11_00.htm) circa 2000:

ahh. i do remember reading something like that. so there *is* at least some other version that exists/existed in some tangible (or listenable) version . . . sorry for the pointless arguing back there. :-/

Joy Prevention Hotline
12-14-2013, 12:43 AM
so there *is* at least some other version that exists/existed in some tangible (or listenable) version
Well, the way he talks about the “other versions with varying degrees of embarrassing lyrics,” TR might disagree about the “listenable” part. :p I think your point still stands — the vinyl version is the original by default because the earlier incarnations weren’t ready for prime time.

rampface
12-14-2013, 01:21 AM
For the love of god, I hate being "that guy" but I've seriously spent the past 3 hours looking for a rip of The Fragile vinyl and it's nowhere! Would someone PLEASE PM me! I've made it my mission to hear this tonight! Until yesterday I had no idea that there was a difference between each format and now it's driving me nuts not being able to find it!

howdidislipinto
12-14-2013, 03:58 AM
For the love of god, I hate being "that guy" but I've seriously spent the past 3 hours looking for a rip of The Fragile vinyl and it's nowhere! Would someone PLEASE PM me! I've made it my mission to hear this tonight! Until yesterday I had no idea that there was a difference between each format and now it's driving me nuts not being able to find it!

Don't mean to mod, but you really aren't supposed to be asking for stuff like that. (At least not so obviously.)

Anyway, it's cool, but not worth getting THAT excited for. Inserting 10 Miles High and The New Flesh into your track list on iTunes or whatever is the exact same effect -- there aren't any intros or fade-ins or blends with the other tracks like the rest of The Fragile. Unless I'm forgetting any examples, the extended versions of the songs just involve a bar or two extra of riffs and melodies -- nothing added musically, just longer. Like an extra bar to the TDTWWA intro. In fact, the biggest and most noticeable difference is just that Ripe (Without Decay) has LESS music -- if I recall correctly, the whole ending is lopped off.

Al_Hunter
12-14-2013, 11:03 AM

You're not looking hard enough. It's out there, because I've found it myself.

Khrz
12-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Inserting 10 Miles High and The New Flesh into your track list on iTunes or whatever is the exact same effect

Actually you have to tweak it all a bit, because they do fade in and out, and inserting the raw "single" tracks into the pre-existing tracklist will sound bad. But it's not that hard, I came up with a "The Mark Has Been Made (10 Miles High) that sounds quite correct, if not 100% faithful to the vinyl version, within 5 minutes of noodling in Audacity.

And yeah, the vinyl rip is there somewhere, but honestly it won't revolutionize anything when you hear it. I wouldn't wet my pants so much for it if I were you, it's not offering anything new.

rampface
12-14-2013, 01:19 PM
But what about the subtle differences like the longer intro/outro parts on certain tracks, different mixes, etc. It's more than just adding tracks in. I've been listening to this album for 14 years so any slight change will be instantly noticeable to my ears, however slight that may be. Just listened to The Fragile again yesterday to refresh my memory.

gorast
12-14-2013, 03:09 PM
It's more than additional tracks, but not much more. Seriously, all you'll notice is that certain parts drag out longer, that's it. Nothing terribly interesting.

fillow
12-14-2013, 03:53 PM
I like the clean intro of Pilgrimage on vinyl.

Trains
12-14-2013, 06:48 PM
I'm not sure why, but I would like for someone to make a mash-up of All Time Low and I'm Afraid of Americans and call it "I'm afraid of all-time American lows".

Charmingly Miserable
12-14-2013, 10:36 PM
11 pages and 3100 words later, I gave a brief summary of Trent's hand in participatory culture. Calling it good enough since I went a little over what I was asked to write (but that's ok). I had to mention this somewhere that people would appreciate it.
(Also, it was my last college paper ever)
Congrats! I find it fascinating how Trent is so relevant in the ever so changing times. I wrote a 2 page section on the indie business model that Trent adopted with Ghosts and The Slip for my major labels vs. indie labels in my global business class over the summer.

Total random thought: I wonder if Trent watches QVC? If so, I wonder if he had ever said, "Mariqueen, I have to have that Today's Special Value!"

Halo Infinity
12-15-2013, 01:50 AM
I was just listening to Purest Feeling again, and it really like how the influences from Ministry's With Sympathy and Twitch shine on that album. I'm also amazed at how it sounds, because it's sometimes as if I forget that there ever was a Purest Feeling.

wizfan
12-15-2013, 02:40 AM
I'm watching lots of live stuff, both pro-shot and fan-made. Just finished ZootZap's excellent Wiltern DVD. Next up in my watchlist are the HTDA Coachella webcast from RITC, Fuji Rock's webcast, Kercyx's Rock en Seine multi-cam DVD and the official Tension vid to top it off.

m15a
12-15-2013, 02:50 AM
I was just listening to Purest Feeling again, and it really like how the influences from Ministry's With Sympathy and Twitch shine on that album. I'm also amazed at how it sounds, because it's sometimes as if I forget that there ever was a Purest Feeling.

i'm not sure if you're talking about the Purest Feeling song or the demos bootleg, but OMG, i just downloaded and started listening to the bootleg and realized that i may have never heard the whole thing before.

EDIT: OMG! i'm actually enjoying listening to Kinda I Want To!

GrayscaleRain
12-15-2013, 03:00 AM
Honestly, I'd like to hear modernized versions of That's What I Get and Maybe Just Once at some point on this tour. If Trent's revisiting older material, it'd be neat to see Trent pick up the old tracks again. I also like Kinda I Want To but we know that's never happening. XD

Halo Infinity
12-15-2013, 03:03 AM
i'm not sure if you're talking about the Purest Feeling song or the demos bootleg, but OMG, i just downloaded and started listening to the bootleg and realized that i may have never heard the whole thing before.

EDIT: OMG! i'm actually enjoying listening to Kinda I Want To!
Oh, I was actually referring to the entire thing. I sometimes forget that it actually existed. I've also found myself getting very addicted to it as well. Oh yes, and a fellow ETS member also did this. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e86RH0GlWq0

MrSlfDstruct
12-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Trent seems to be a big fan of the bearded look, but whenever official promo/press/tour stuff starts he goes back to clean-shaven. Wonder why.

sick among the pure
12-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Trent seems to be a big fan of the bearded look, but whenever official promo/press/tour stuff starts he goes back to clean-shaven. Wonder why.

beard = working on music
shaven = tour mode

ETS has had lengthy-ass discussions on this. I wish that were a joke.

Ichiro
12-15-2013, 05:34 PM
TR alluded to this in an online chat (http://www.nin-pages.de/chat_spin_21_11_00.htm) circa 2000

Huh, I never knew he was working on a new NIN album in 2000. I wonder what that ("abrasive") music would have sounded like.
Thanks for posting that Q+A; I hadn't seen it before.

botley
12-15-2013, 06:31 PM
Huh, I never knew he was working on a new NIN album in 2000. I wonder what that ("abrasive") music would have sounded like.
"Deep" is the only song we've heard that dates from this period.

nooneimportant
12-16-2013, 11:47 PM
I saw JMJ playing with Paramore during the Jingle Ball at Madison Square Garden. (There was a live stream)

It was cool, but weird.

Come to think of it, NIN has some ties to Paramore and it's pretty weird. Josh Freese and Ilan Rubin both played with them live, the latter also being on their new record. JMJ played with them and also produced their new record. How long before Trent and Hayley do a duet of Hurt? I would enjoy this very much.

gorast
12-17-2013, 12:14 AM
There was a live stream? Fuck. Is it up somewhere?

fillow
12-17-2013, 04:26 AM
AVOTT is really fun to play on acoustic guitar. Although a bitch to learn.

Ryan
12-17-2013, 05:15 AM
I like it, but it’s not an obvious live candidate. Too remix-y.

I’d expect a live version to be a kind of un-remix — TR asking himself what the “original” would have sounded like. But does he like it enough to bother?

That leads me to wonder: which version of The Fragile is the “real” one in TR’s mind — the vinyl or CDs? Has he ever said?

I could understand the loooong wait for the remaster if he’s going back to the vinyl version.

Edit: never mind, I see the answer to the vinyl-vs-CD question on Ninwiki.

Some more 10 Miles High trivia from that interview posted above:

ofredearth: I noticed on the 10 Miles high (version) off of Things Falling Apart, the intro to the song is also on The Fragile, actually played backwards where we hear "I'm getting closer..." what was the purpose of "hiding" it into The Fragile like that and exposing it in the new album?

10 Miles High was a full song that had three completely different sets of lyrics and choruses during the course of its life span. When it came time to put the Fragile together, and decide what was gonna get kept, that song took a bullet. But we left a little reminder of it on there, and we put one of the versions on the vinyl version of The Fragile. There are other versions with varying degrees of embarrassing lyrics that are floating around the vaults here.

seasonsinthesky
12-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Don't mean to mod, but you really aren't supposed to be asking for stuff like that. (At least not so obviously.)

Anyway, it's cool, but not worth getting THAT excited for. Inserting 10 Miles High and The New Flesh into your track list on iTunes or whatever is the exact same effect -- there aren't any intros or fade-ins or blends with the other tracks like the rest of The Fragile. Unless I'm forgetting any examples, the extended versions of the songs just involve a bar or two extra of riffs and melodies -- nothing added musically, just longer. Like an extra bar to the TDTWWA intro. In fact, the biggest and most noticeable difference is just that Ripe (Without Decay) has LESS music -- if I recall correctly, the whole ending is lopped off.

wait, what? the end of TMHBM has most of the intro to 10MH off the single. you can't just stick it in between in iTunes, it'll repeat the whole section. and TNF crossfades out the end of "Complication," which iTunes can't do correctly on its own.

and the end of LM is completely different with the other vocal samples and different-ish crossfade with TGB. you'd be surprised how many things are different if you pay attention the whole way through.

cahernandez
12-17-2013, 10:44 AM

I read that chat and there was a big omen of what was to happen (TSN and TGWTDT). Ten years was an accurate estimate:

dirtwormus: Would you ever want to be involved in the film industry in a greater capacity than your involvement with Lost Highway? Very much so. I plan to eventually put an end to NIN and move more into film scoring and production work. And that will happen when I feel I've said all I need to say as NIN. And that could be next year or in ten years.

screwdriver
12-17-2013, 05:28 PM
wait, what? the end of TMHBM has most of the intro to 10MH off the single. you can't just stick it in between in iTunes, it'll repeat the whole section. and TNF crossfades out the end of "Complication," which iTunes can't do correctly on its own.

and the end of LM is completely different with the other vocal samples and different-ish crossfade with TGB. you'd be surprised how many things are different if you pay attention the whole way through.

all these years, I have been waiting for a deluxe edition to finally hunt down the vinyl and listen

and now you're making me wonder if I should break my celibacy

Ash512
12-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Came Back Haunted is my favorite NIN single. I think. I'm not getting tired of it.

Harry Seaward
12-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Wait one fucking second.

ninwiki is telling me that the lyrics of The Only Time are "I want to rip it up and swim in it until I drown" and not "I want to wrap it up and swim in it until I drown". Could this be true? Am I insane? This changes everything!

heavenly_bearded
12-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Wait one fucking second.

ninwiki is telling me that the lyrics of The Only Time are "I want to rip it up and swim in it until I drown" and not "I want to wrap it up and swim in it until I drown". Could this be true? Am I insane? This changes everything!
The lyric booklet claims "I want to drink it up and swim in it" - another wrench to throw in your brain...

ImTheWiseJanitor
12-17-2013, 07:09 PM
Came Back Haunted is my favorite NIN single. I think. I'm not getting tired of it.

The live version is SO good, especially the performance on the Tension film. Lisa and Sharlotte sound really awesome toward the end of that song.

heavenly_bearded
12-17-2013, 07:12 PM
The live version is SO good, especially the performance on the Tension film. Lisa and Sharlotte sound really awesome toward the end of that song.

This song was made for Robin's backup vocals and crazy Robin raindance on stage :)

sick among the pure
12-17-2013, 08:34 PM
This song was made for Robin's backup vocals and crazy Robin raindance on stage :)
There is nothing as wonderful as Robin's "dancing" (http://instagram.com/p/fiPq7JnXMF).

Joy Prevention Hotline
12-17-2013, 09:12 PM
I had a dream last night where I was seeing NIN but they were in my old high school's theater. They opened with 1,000,000 but the sound was fucked up so they said they would be right back after fixing it. It was like 3 hrs in dream time of just waiting for it to be fixed. Really strange dream. I woke up and went back to sleep and my next dream was just me cleaning the toilet.
OK, I’m not hiring you to write my dreams.

By whatever algorithm determines Spotify’s rankings, Copy of A is more popular right now than THTF, and there are four HM tracks crowding out HLAH:

01 Closer
02 Copy of a
03 The Hand That Feeds
04 Came Back Haunted
05 All Time Low
06 Find My Way
07 Head Like a Hole
08 Satellite
09 Disappointed
10 Dead Souls
Everything had been hanging on at #10, but it lost its grip.

Ryan
12-17-2013, 09:18 PM
Dead Souls at #10? That's interesting.

Joy Prevention Hotline
12-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Dead Souls at #10? That's interesting.
Ain’t it? You look at it and think, “Wait — Dead Souls is more popular than Hurt?”

That said, I do really love Dead Souls.

Harry Seaward
12-17-2013, 09:48 PM
By whatever algorithm determines Spotify’s rankings, Copy of A is more popular right now than THTF, and there are four HM tracks crowding out HLAH:

Spotify always favors newer releases.

Notice the playcounts.

http://i.imgur.com/bWGDhtM.png

Joy Prevention Hotline
12-17-2013, 11:34 PM

Notice the playcounts.
I don’t know if you can get away with “always” here. There’s not enough transparency.

But if they’re trying to measure “momentum” (or some such thing) that takes into account recent vs overall plays, I agree that it’s gonna favor new releases that people are actually listening to. ;)

screwdriver
12-17-2013, 11:51 PM

Notice the playcounts.

http://i.imgur.com/bWGDhtM.png

Ill admit: 800000 of those Copy of A plays are me ;-)

Harry Seaward
12-18-2013, 12:29 AM
I don’t know if you can get away with “always” here. There’s not enough transparency.

But if they’re trying to measure “momentum” (or some such thing) that takes into account recent vs overall plays, I agree that it’s gonna favor new releases that people are actually listening to. ;)

True. I just always notice when an artist has a new album out, a fair amount of the songs will usually appear on that top 10 list.

BenAkenobi
12-18-2013, 12:52 AM
Ill admit: 800000 of those Copy of A plays are me ;-)

You know, It would take you 8 more years of playing it on repeat to achieve this number :D good luck with that.

Joy Prevention Hotline
12-18-2013, 01:59 AM
You know, It would take you 8 more years of playing it on repeat to achieve this number :D good luck with that.
Time travel. Works every time.

“I was into them before they existed.”

MAD
12-18-2013, 03:32 AM
EVERY. FUCKING. YEAR! :o

http://youtu.be/MrPnwLjZbHs

nooneimportant
12-18-2013, 05:23 AM
There was a live stream? Fuck. Is it up somewhere?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqUAEVaXekM

Ash512
12-18-2013, 06:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqUAEVaXekM

God, only that girl can make me like such cheesy teen music.

theimage13
12-18-2013, 09:13 AM
I saw JMJ playing with Paramore during the Jingle Ball at Madison Square Garden. (There was a live stream)

It was cool, but weird.

Come to think of it, NIN has some ties to Paramore and it's pretty weird. Josh Freese and Ilan Rubin both played with them live, the latter also being on their new record. JMJ played with them and also produced their new record. How long before Trent and Hayley do a duet of Hurt? I would enjoy this very much.

Fuck me! I'm on that tour, but I didn't even notice that he was on stage! Too bad they wrapped up their part of the run the other night in DC. Le sigh.

icecream
12-18-2013, 04:15 PM

Everything had been hanging on at #10, but it lost its grip.
I don't believe it. According to Billpullsifer or whatever the album is dead and Trent should move on.

theimage13
12-18-2013, 05:19 PM
I don't believe it. According to Billpullsifer or whatever the album is dead and Trent should move on.

I wish tapatalk would let me like posts.

Charmingly Miserable
12-18-2013, 10:25 PM
I would really like to hear a NIN cover of Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer. Just saying.

GibbonBlack
12-18-2013, 11:05 PM
I would really like to hear a NIN cover of Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer. Just saying.

though the thought had never crossed my mind. I really want to hear this

nooneimportant
12-18-2013, 11:19 PM
God, only that girl can make me like such cheesy teen music.

They actually do have some really good tracks. "Ain't It Fun" is probably one of their best songs ever.

Also yes, I have a massive crush on Hayley Williams.

butter_hole
12-19-2013, 12:02 AM
Bet you'd still love em if she was a 60 year old overweight dog wouldn't you?

nooneimportant
12-19-2013, 02:15 AM
Bet you'd still love em if she was a 60 year old overweight dog wouldn't you?

Never said I LOVE them, I just think they're decent music to put on from time to time. No need to get weird about it.

Ryan
12-19-2013, 04:50 PM
HEY

EVERYTHING IS NOT

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/124/3/9/mr__mackey_by_6opc4-d4yhxkr.jpg

sick among the pure
12-20-2013, 03:19 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/799461b0b3106c28ea5cdadda15bd41a/tumblr_mxw05gNMtG1rcuumvo1_500.jpg

Papagolash
12-21-2013, 02:37 AM
So I'm listening to Demo's Year Zero 5.1 and I just came across the Quiet Versions easter egg. All these years I had no clue these were here. Listening to them now.

simonn
12-21-2013, 05:50 AM
The hi-hatty sampled sound at 3.52 in The Great Collapse is the best sound in a song period.

simonn
12-21-2013, 05:56 AM
So I'm listening to Demo's Year Zero 5.1 and I just came across the Quiet Versions easter egg. All these years I had no clue these were here. Listening to them now.

Nor me, just found them now! Good find!

Ryan
12-22-2013, 06:32 PM

Are these official or fan made?

witte
12-22-2013, 06:47 PM
nevermind dump

Papagolash
12-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Are these official or fan made?

Fan made.

dghxdgxdzfgh

Ryan
12-22-2013, 08:32 PM
So they're fan-made quiet versions of YZ tracks?

Papagolash
12-22-2013, 10:44 PM
So they're fan-made quiet versions of YZ tracks?

Yes, and in surround.

Another Version of the Truth
In This Twilight
Zero Sum

Halo Infinity
12-24-2013, 04:31 PM
Thanks to this video, sometimes Head Like A Hole and Down In It get me to think of Christmas. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shOc-5FxA3g

Oh, and upon searching for that video, I also came across this. I'll also post it in the Nine Inch Nails Parodies thread (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1498-Nine-Inch-Nails-Parodies).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDQ4HXfNqM8

Halo Infinity
12-25-2013, 02:42 AM
Did somebody tweet this to Trent Reznor on Twitter yet? I also wonder how Chris Vrenna and Richard Patrick would react to it. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrPnwLjZbHs

theimage13
12-25-2013, 08:18 AM
How is there no mashup of TLBTB and Blurred Lines?

Now that Blurred Lines is stuck in your head, Merry Christmas!

Halo Infinity
12-26-2013, 11:04 AM
It also seems like Twitter is the only social network that seemed to stand the test of time for Trent Reznor, and while he's still on Facebook, I don't think he uses it as much. However, I would've liked to have been able to see the inside of his Facebook account, but its friend count has reached its limit.

billpulsipher
12-26-2013, 12:59 PM
once he made his page public, it became dead and he never used it at all and it got spammed by assholes. when his page was private, he used to post up there several times a day

[73]
12-29-2013, 05:07 PM
I'm still waiting for the super deluxe Fragile set to come out. I've been listening to that album a lot lately.

butter_hole
12-29-2013, 07:45 PM
;159870']I'm still waiting for the super deluxe Fragile set to come out. I've been listening to that album a lot lately.
woah weird! so am i!

nooneimportant
12-29-2013, 08:36 PM
It also seems like Twitter is the only social network that seemed to stand the test of time for Trent Reznor, and while he's still on Facebook, I don't think he uses it as much. However, I would've liked to have been able to see the inside of his Facebook account, but its friend count has reached its limit.

He also has Instagram and so does Mariqueen.

Halo Infinity
12-30-2013, 12:39 AM
That also reminds me to say that Nine Inch Nails is also on Flickr. I love using the wallpapers from that account.

Fist Fuck
12-30-2013, 06:57 AM
That also reminds me to say that Nine Inch Nails is also on Flickr. I love using the wallpapers from that account.

Speaking of which, where are the Hestitation Marks wallpapers? Didn't Rob promise them?

BenAkenobi
12-30-2013, 07:55 AM
grab pictures from album PDF, i suppose?

gorast
12-30-2013, 11:15 AM
The NIN camp has promised us lots of things. Those promises mean absolutely nothing.

Someday we'll learn.

Volband
12-30-2013, 03:32 PM
Ghosts Film Festival

(a joke that ages really well imo)

gorast
12-30-2013, 07:48 PM
This seems like it'll be a fun game.

The Social Network Remix EP.

sweeterthan
12-30-2013, 09:14 PM
year zero HBO series

sick among the pure
12-30-2013, 09:16 PM
With Teeth essay?

nooneimportant
12-30-2013, 09:19 PM
the nin camp has promised us lots of things. Those promises mean absolutely nothing.

Someday we'll learn.

Terrible Lie!!!

playwithfire
12-31-2013, 01:10 AM
Doot Doot Doot DEEDLE DEE Doot Doot Doot

somethingelse
12-31-2013, 01:15 AM
Ghosts Film Festival

(a joke that ages really well imo)

How many ETSers have made their own YouTube playlist of favourite entries?

Scarlet Siren
12-31-2013, 05:36 AM
I wish the tour merch would go up on to the online store so I can get the things I didn't pick up at the last show in Phoenix as I lost my card.

I WANT THAT HOODIE AND GRAY BEANIE!

sweeterthan
12-31-2013, 10:49 AM
The Adrian Belew fb post in nin spotting annoys me. Reznor hasn't said one word about Belew publicly since. Have some class, get over it and stfu already.

botley
12-31-2013, 11:33 AM
The Adrian Belew fb post in nin spotting annoys me. Reznor hasn't said one word about Belew publicly since. Have some class, get over it and stfu already.
Did Belew actually use the name of the band or mention Reznor at all in his status update? No, he didn't. Is he not even allowed to allude to the situation, or express any disappointment in reflecting upon the year? Jesus Christ.

This was posted right after:
please allow me to add this to my last post: my little bumps in the road are insignificant to the troubles so many people face daily and I know it. I am very aware how fortunate I am and often marvel that anyone cares what I do. it's only natural to reflect at this time of the year, but far from being distraught, I'm more inspired than ever. I wrote two new songs just this past week.

my real message is one of hope and excitement for the NEW.
so...

happy NEW year!
and I wish the very best for all of us.

cheers, adrian

Halo Infinity
12-31-2013, 12:57 PM
Oh crap, I didn't really look into it at first. I noticed that there were also some NIN bashing comments under that post. It seems like they were very slighted by NIN. I also forgot that they really left in amicable terms anyway, right?

ryanmcfly
12-31-2013, 01:04 PM
I wish songs like The Line Begins to Blur, Dead Souls, Suck, La Mer, and Something I Can Never Have would have made their way into the setlists more this year. Such a tease each was only played once or twice.

WorzelG
12-31-2013, 01:32 PM
Oh crap, I didn't really look into it at first. I noticed that there were also some NIN bashing comments under that post. It seems like they were very slighted by NIN. I also forgot that they really left in amicable terms anyway, right?

I am quite sad at the thought there might be no more Belew collaborations with NIN.
You'd think people would be more annoyed at him not being in King Crimson actually, seems much more of a professional slight. When someone mentioned somewhere that he sits on a chair sometimes live, I thought that's really not going to go down well with the NIN fan base, they were bad enough with Pino (some of them) but a bassist is a lot less high profile and at least Pino stood up!

gorast
12-31-2013, 03:06 PM
I am quite sad at the thought there might be no more Belew collaborations with NIN.
You'd think people would be more annoyed at him not being in King Crimson actually, seems much more of a professional slight. When someone mentioned somewhere that he sits on a chair sometimes live, I thought that's really not going to go down well with the NIN fan base, they were bad enough with Pino (some of them) but a bassist is a lot less high profile and at least Pino stood up!

Were you like, not here at the beginning of the year? There were a few people even here that were like "Belew is too fucking ancient for NIN, he sits in a chair for Christ's sake."

Granted, the more sensible members here (that is to say, almost the entire forum) relentlessly mocked those clueless asshats, but still. I'd imagine it was worse on nin.com and *shudder* the Facebook page.

sweeterthan
12-31-2013, 03:27 PM
Jesus Christ.

My thoughts exactly when I read his post. He doesn't have to mention NIN. We knew who he was talking about and the negativity implied rubbed me wrong way.

I would have love to see what Belew would've brought to the line up. Unlike others, I don't care if he sat down or stood still. I agree that it seems like any future collaborations between the two are out of the question but I'm basing that on Belew's vague public statements such as his fb one from today.

botley
12-31-2013, 04:08 PM
My thoughts exactly when I read his post. He doesn't have to mention NIN. We knew who he was talking about and the negativity implied rubbed me wrong way.

I would have love to see what Belew would've brought to the line up. Unlike others, I don't care if he sat down or stood still. I agree that it seems like any future collaborations between the two are out of the question but I'm basing that on Belew's vague public statements such as his fb one from today.
Of course it's negative, the alternate universe where it all worked out would have been fucking awesome and Adrian has the right to be a little bummed out by that (not to mention by ALSO BEING OUT OF KING CRIMSON, with whom he's toured for years), but yeah I guess he'd better "get over it and stfu" in case not doing that somehow causes TR to stop calling him for future collaborations... wait, what? You are talking like a crazy person.

captainbeyond
12-31-2013, 04:22 PM
There were a few people even here that were like "Belew is too fucking ancient for NIN, he sits in a chair for Christ's sake."

That bothers me because I have yet to ever see him sitting down while playing live in a band format. Robert Fripp of King Crimson, on the other hand, sits down all the time. I think people just don't know what they are talking about and assumed that Belew is the "guy from King Crimson that sits down." Now Belew is seen sitting down in all those pedal/studio/solo performances but of course he is, who doesn't do those sitting?

gorast
12-31-2013, 05:37 PM
People on the Internet being loud-mouthed fucking morons is nothing new.

I hope the disagreements with NIN at the beginning of the year doesn't sour Belew on collaborating more with Trent in the future. I can't imagine that it would, but you never know.

seasonsinthesky
12-31-2013, 05:47 PM
That bothers me because I have yet to ever see him sitting down while playing live in a band format. Robert Fripp of King Crimson, on the other hand, sits down all the time. I think people just don't know what they are talking about and assumed that Belew is the "guy from King Crimson that sits down." Now Belew is seen sitting down in all those pedal/studio/solo performances but of course he is, who doesn't do those sitting?

exactly. the criticism makes zero sense. he's quite animated (and standing) when playing with Crim — guy's got a face for entertaining, that's for sure. i'm quite sad he is out of both bands; he's "my" voice of KC, having inducted me with Level Five back in 2001 (and a bootleg from the Tool tour), and obviously i'm still awed by his numerous critical contributions to NIN songs, especially on TF.

anyway, his FB post is completely fine. anyone with a gripe about it is creating one from nothing.

allegro
12-31-2013, 06:52 PM
I thought Adrian was referring to not being in the upcoming KC touring lineup, which is far bigger news than the one-off odd NIN thing. I've seen Adrian twice with KC, he perfectly balances Fripp's oh-so-serious-anal-retentive-perfectionist personality on stage.

sweeterthan
12-31-2013, 07:30 PM
Of course it's negative, the alternate universe where it all worked out would have been fucking awesome and Adrian has the right to be a little bummed out by that (not to mention by ALSO BEING OUT OF KING CRIMSON, with whom he's toured for years), but yeah I guess he'd better "get over it and stfu" in case not doing that somehow causes TR to stop calling him for future collaborations... wait, what? You are talking like a crazy person.
NIN fans on ETS speculating about what someone did or or didn't say on the internet? Pure lunacy! Dude, calm down. I was referring to WorzelG's post:

Happy New Year!

botley
01-01-2014, 06:50 PM
I don't understand where anybody can infer that from what Adrian posted. Just because he lost a spot in the live band doesn't mean he's never coming back for studio projects. It's a discouraging situation, but Reznor seems like he's always blown away when they collaborate on songwriting/arranging.

imail724
01-02-2014, 01:25 PM
I got this absurdly large cardboard cutout of the Hesitation Marks cover yesterday. They were selling it for $10 at my local record store so my buddy picked it up for me. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/03/rupe7usu.jpg

Edit just to show the scale of this thing:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/03/ebytybu2.jpg

butter_hole
01-02-2014, 09:51 PM
can i have it

BRoswell
01-02-2014, 10:17 PM
Yeah, that's going to look great on my wall. Er, I mean, YOUR wall. :p

hani
01-03-2014, 03:22 PM
can i have it

you just want something you can never have

sick among the pure
01-03-2014, 03:41 PM
Reminds me of the time I almost got a bigger an wall sized WT poster for FYE. Manager promised it to me, but one of his employees "already called dibs" and he didn't know. It was the size of their big windows out front. I don't know what I would have done with it.

imail724
01-03-2014, 05:42 PM
It was the size of their big windows out front. I don't know what I would have done with it.Pretty much this. I have no idea what to do with this thing, I have it kind of just propped up in a corner underneath my Wave Goodbye lithos.

sick among the pure
01-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Pretty much this. I have no idea what to do with this thing, I have it kind of just propped up in a corner underneath my Wave Goodbye lithos.

I have a chunk of wall it would fit in ;)

But honestly, if you have the money, I would look into custom framing it and hanging it up somewhere nice, moving anything you needed to make room for it. That's an awesome piece.

Halo Infinity
01-03-2014, 08:27 PM
That was by far my most favorite version of the Hesitation Marks album cover. It's very cool to see it at that size. :)

eversonpoe
01-04-2014, 11:18 AM
my local record store had one of those, literally just sitting and leaning up against the wall by the door, barely visible. i asked if i could have it, and the girl said no. i asked if i could buy it, and she said no. i asked if the record company was coming back to pick it up at some point, and she said no. so i asked "what's the point of having it if almost no one can see it?" and she said "we don't have any room to put it up." i haven't been that angry leaving a record store since the guy two people in front of me bought the last THREE copies of the tomahawk box set at record store day in 2012.

MrSlfDstruct
01-04-2014, 11:29 AM
my local record store had one of those, literally just sitting and leaning up against the wall by the door, barely visible. i asked if i could have it, and the girl said no. i asked if i could buy it, and she said no. i asked if the record company was coming back to pick it up at some point, and she said no. so i asked "what's the point of having it if almost no one can see it?" and she said "we don't have any room to put it up." i haven't been that angry leaving a record store since the guy two people in front of me bought the last THREE copies of the tomahawk box set at record store day in 2012.

She sounds like a winner.

I'd call them and hope somebody else answers.

Halo Infinity
01-04-2014, 07:36 PM
If there were any other large displays of Nine Inch Nails album covers out there, I think I'd definitely love to get one of The Downward Spiral and The Fragile. Aside from the music itself, those really are my most favorite Nine Inch Nails album covers of the 1990s.

r_z
01-04-2014, 08:14 PM
They are also the only Nine Inch Nails album covers of the 1990s.

Halo Infinity
01-04-2014, 09:55 PM
I've kept thinking of Broken as a second album, but yes, you're right. I also like to think that Pretty Hate Machine had a great part of 1990-1991 even though it came out on October 20, 1989.

sheepdean
01-04-2014, 10:56 PM
They are also the only Nine Inch Nails album covers of the 1990s.
Say what you want, Broken is an album

SarahConnor
01-04-2014, 10:59 PM
Anyone of you all purchase the seven NIN shirts on eBay today? About 90 bucks all told? I napped thru the auction's end. :mad:

Halo Infinity
01-04-2014, 11:18 PM
Say what you want, Broken is an album
Seriously, thank you. I also can't... and wouldn't want to get that out of my mind even if it was labeled/deemed an EP. (I get it, but still. It's just how I looked at it, and felt about it.)

sheepdean
01-05-2014, 01:51 AM
Like, an EP is defined in the US as 4-6 tracks and in the UK as <25 minutes. Broken fits neither definition. It also won't fit on a 10", which is a more modern usage for EP. I get that it was marketed as one, but outside what the posters said, there's no way it's an EP.

If PHM was marketed as a double album, would people call it that despite its obvious single disc?

BenAkenobi
01-05-2014, 02:59 AM
let's ask one of admins to make a topic with a poll asking what Broken really is :)

sheepdean
01-05-2014, 03:01 AM
"74% vote that it's Josh Wink's debut album"

fillow
01-05-2014, 06:51 AM
Broken is an ugly record made during an ugly time in TR life.
Broken marks phase three of nine inch nails: the becoming.

Joy Prevention Hotline
01-05-2014, 09:33 AM
Broken is an ugly record
Oh, now that’s just plain mean. Bad enough people go around saying it’s not a proper album.

Albums have feelings too.

Leviathant
01-05-2014, 10:49 AM
Like, an EP is defined in the US as 4-6 tracks and in the UK as <25 minutes. Broken fits neither definition.

What version of Broken do you have that has more than six songs listed on the back? And all the vinyl copies are six songs long. :p

sick among the pure
01-05-2014, 11:19 AM
What version of Broken do you have that has more than six songs listed on the back? And all the vinyl copies are six songs long. :p
I have an ultra rare copy of Broken that lists all of the silence as individual tracks. It's all in really small font to fit. Therefore, it's the longest NIN album ever.

Joy Prevention Hotline
01-05-2014, 11:32 AM
I always though it was funny that AllMusic’s entry on Broken lists tracks 7–97 individually.

Sadly, they too have consigned it to the oblivion of the EPs list.* :( But on the upside, it gets a higher rating than TDS and The Fragile. So not totally insensitive to its feelings.

OTOH … what kind of heartless, perverse person would give PHM five stars (!) and The Fragile only three? I need to go lie down.

* Goddammit Safari, stop autocorrecting it to “Eps”! :mad:

fillow
01-05-2014, 02:55 PM
Oh, now that’s just plain mean. Bad enough people go around saying it’s not a proper album.
Albums have feelings too.

Just in case you didn't know, these words weren't mine (http://www.ninwiki.com/images/a/a3/Broken_uk12promo_presssheet_lq.jpg). :)

Joy Prevention Hotline
01-05-2014, 03:48 PM
Just in case you didn't know, these words weren't mine (http://www.ninwiki.com/images/a/a3/Broken_uk12promo_presssheet_lq.jpg). :)
He also called it a “mini album,” which ain’t doing much for its self-esteem either. A terrible thing for a parent to say.

And then it keeps looking in the mirror and seeing Fixed. Jesus.

WorzelG
01-05-2014, 03:51 PM

Thanks for posting that, so by the dates on that, he reckoned he could start the Downward Spiral after August 1992 and have it finished at the beginning of 1993? The beginning of the strange Trent reznor time continuum

sheepdean
01-05-2014, 04:05 PM
"mini album", not EP. Mwahahaha

Leviathant
01-05-2014, 05:27 PM

I have a framed copy of the color version of the US promo sheet with the broken lyrics & statement from the artist hanging up right next to my computer (http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=c0fef003-f891-49bc-b324-5562ffb4049d). I feel like it's a great snapshot of the turbulence going on just then, leading up to the release of such a pivotal follow-up record.

r_z
01-05-2014, 05:28 PM
Broken marks phase three of Nine Inch Nails: The Becoming

wow, that's sooo deep.

allegro
01-05-2014, 05:44 PM
I have a framed copy of the color version of the US promo sheet with the broken lyrics & statement from the artist hanging up right next to my computer (http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=c0fef003-f891-49bc-b324-5562ffb4049d). I feel like it's a great snapshot of the turbulence going on just then, leading up to the release of such a pivotal follow-up record.

Dude, that's an awesome typewriter; does it still work?

Leviathant
01-05-2014, 10:36 PM
Dude, that's an awesome typewriter; does it still work?

Thanks! I saw it at a yard sale in York, PA for $15 over a decade ago, and that's cheaper than a computer keyboard. It does still work, and in fact we inked it up and used it as a guestbook for our 10th anniversary party (http://blog.melissadunphy.com/2013/11/tenth-anniversary-recap-australian.html) (scroll to the bottom of the post).

I'm hopelessly off-topic now.

sheepdean
01-06-2014, 05:58 AM
Thanks! I saw it at a yard sale in York, PA for $15 over a decade ago, and that's cheaper than a computer keyboard. It does still work, and in fact we inked it up and used it as a guestbook for our 10th anniversary party (http://blog.melissadunphy.com/2013/11/tenth-anniversary-recap-australian.html) (scroll to the bottom of the post).

I'm hopelessly off-topic now.One last offtopic: there's companies that can modify typewriters to actually BE keyboards if you wanted to be all cool and stuff

On topic: I wonder which format for music TR prefers; Vinyl, CD, BD-A, FLAC etc

scorpiusdiamond
01-06-2014, 11:55 AM
So according to this article (http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may00/articles/alan.htm), there were 120 songs recorded for The Fragile

Fangster_
01-06-2014, 12:42 PM
OHHHSHIT. So now he's releasing them all as a mega super duper box set and that's why the reissue takes forever. I mean, obviously, right...

screwdriver
01-06-2014, 05:36 PM

your studio makes me so jealous; I've got the same amount of crap thrown in about 1/3 of the space

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1170934_10101698163209213_2015330953_n.jpg
props on the ER-1 -- I've got one of those around and I love it. I'd love to pick your brain about it sometime. Are you posting your tunes anywhere?

sorry for going off-topic, feel free to throw me to the correct forum.

So according to this article (http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may00/articles/alan.htm), there were 120 songs recorded for The Fragile

I've always understood that to be like... 120 bits. and they've said in many interviews they combined some to form one single song, etc., so I think its more likely that there were 120 interesting things, not 120 fully gestated songs at Fragile-level.

still, yeah, its awesome.

Halo Infinity
01-06-2014, 06:24 PM
I like how I got an inside view of that room, and really like to think of that places as The Throne Room of ETS. ;)

As for the the topic, and 120 songs recorded for The Fragile, I think I've actually read about that before, but then just forgot about it since I haven't looked up The Fragile for quite some time. I'd still like to hear some/any of them if they'd ever surface as everybody else would though.

slave2thewage
01-06-2014, 11:24 PM
"Day 1. Explain later."

I hope it's a cover of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnYAkvCpom0

icklekitty
01-07-2014, 06:17 AM

Define "song". 120 Somewhat Damageds is different to 120 Pilgrimages.

GrayscaleRain
01-08-2014, 04:57 AM
Define "song". 120 Somewhat Damageds is different to 120 Pilgrimages.

I assume they're referring to 120 separate musical concepts that made it into various stages of production during the Fragile sessions.

Khrz
01-08-2014, 08:02 AM
I always assumed that in such cases, the word "song", or "film", or "painting" referred to a work in progress destined to be a song/film/painting, eventually. When it comes to reznor, I assume those were elaborate sketches in various states of completion, most of those still unfocused. They could have turned out to be instrumentals or "proper" songs, but it seems that reznor often decides such things on the go. He starts creating an instrumental and decides to try it with lyrics, he scrapes the lyrics off a song and we end up with an instrumental.
I guess Demon Seed/Ghosts 38 is a good example of creative evolution.
So, I imagine that, at this state of completion, even reznor doesn't know if he's making a Somewhat Damaged or a Pilgrimage, most of the time.

fillow
01-08-2014, 08:36 AM
As usual, nin fans are reading too much into it.
Yeah, at one point they have 120 song pieces. The next day TR takes 12 of them, puts in the blender and voilŕ, we've got things like The New Flesh and The Way Out is Through.

hani
01-08-2014, 09:28 AM
Jason Biggs looks like a cross between Trent and Justin Meldal Johnsen
http://distilleryimage2.ak.instagram.com/e149b860787711e38214125ca684f7c2_8.jpg

Joy Prevention Hotline
01-08-2014, 01:19 PM
I wonder when And All That Could Have Been will ever be available for download/streaming (http://www.canistream.it/search/movie/4eb36617f5f807e25b000005/nine-inch-nails-live-and-all-that-could-have-been). I’d probably still be waiting to see BYIT if it wasn’t on iTunes.

Charmingly Miserable
01-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Jason Biggs looks like a cross between Trent and Justin Meldal Johnsen
http://distilleryimage2.ak.instagram.com/e149b860787711e38214125ca684f7c2_8.jpg
I'd say more like JMJ. Awwwww, I miss Justin!!!!! Trent, bring him back for 2014.

Joy Prevention Hotline
01-09-2014, 01:26 PM
Occupational hazard of being an ETSer: office machine noises keep reminding me of NIN songs. Somebody gets an email on his phone and I think I’m hearing Eater of Dreams. :rolleyes:

screwdriver
01-09-2014, 01:55 PM
Occupational hazard of being an ETSer: office machine noises keep reminding me of NIN songs. Somebody gets an email on his phone and I think I’m hearing Eater of Dreams. :rolleyes:

ha! I had an MRI a year ago; the technician warned me that it might be a bit claustrophobic and noisy. When I came out, the technician commented I looked unusually relaxed, to which I responded it just felt like I had been listening to The Social Network score.

MrSlfDstruct
01-09-2014, 02:04 PM
I wonder when And All That Could Have Been will ever be available for download/streaming ("http://www.canistream.it/search/movie/4eb36617f5f807e25b000005/nine-inch-nails-live-and-all-that-could-have-been”). I’d probably still be waiting to see BYIT if it wasn’t on iTunes.

Does iTunes carry a lot of 4x3, standard def content?

Joy Prevention Hotline
01-09-2014, 05:13 PM
Does iTunes carry a lot of 4x3, standard def content?
You can get just about anything you want in SD as far as I can tell, so I don’t see that as an obstacle. One can hope it’s been held up for some kind of remastering alongside The Fragile…

theimage13
01-09-2014, 05:23 PM
We all know that Robin can rock the shit out of an acoustic.
Ilan plays some mean digital drums.
Trent has taken bass duties at shows in the past.
And Ally is still in the lineup.

C'monnnnnnnnn, The Great Destroyer (modwheelmood)!

MrSlfDstruct
01-09-2014, 07:37 PM
You can get just about anything you want in SD as far as I can tell, so I don’t see that as an obstacle. One can hope it’s been held up for some kind of remastering alongside The Fragile…

I don't know how much remastering would do. It was filmed to be kind of "dirty", and I believe on consumer-grade cameras in standard def. You might be able to squeeze a little better version out, but 480 is 480.

Krazy
01-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Random thought: man, can't wait for those US dates to be announced. Trying to stay patient. :/

screwdriver
01-09-2014, 09:41 PM
I wonder when And All That Could Have Been will ever be available for download/streaming (http://&quot;http://www.canistream.it/search/movie/4eb36617f5f807e25b000005/nine-inch-nails-live-and-all-that-could-have-been”). I’d probably still be waiting to see BYIT if it wasn’t on iTunes.

I'm sorry if this is an obvious question, but what's stopping you from getting the DVD? even if just to morally justify pirating it?

fishtifer
01-10-2014, 08:28 AM
Is anybody else still checking theninhotline.net everyday as part of their internet routine? Is anybody else getting sick of only getting 1-2 updates a month? It seems their Twitter is updated more than their website, I'd just like to know if I should even bother checking the website anymore or just read the Tweets. I know NIN news is slow but there's nothing on the site about the Tension Dvd, or the release date for Austin City Limits.

It's kind of sad, it used to be my one stop shop for NIN news, now I gotta check Twitter, Facebook and this forum for NIN news.

Halo Infinity
01-10-2014, 12:54 PM
I actually haven't been to The NIN Hotline regularly, but I haven't minded making do with Echoing The Sound, Facebook, and Twitter. So in a way, it's pretty much no and no to me. I'm just thankful that there's even that much information about Nine Inch Nails readily available to start with.

sleepless
01-10-2014, 01:15 PM
Is anybody else still checking theninhotline.net everyday as part of their internet routine? Is anybody else getting sick of only getting 1-2 updates a month? It seems their Twitter is updated more than their website, I'd just like to know if I should even bother checking the website anymore or just read the Tweets. I know NIN news is slow but there's nothing on the site about the Tension Dvd, or the release date for Austin City Limits.

It's kind of sad, it used to be my one stop shop for NIN news, now I gotta check Twitter, Facebook and this forum for NIN news.

As you may or may not know, both this forum and theninhotline are run by Leviathant

Leviathant
01-10-2014, 01:32 PM

@fishtifer (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1900) , you didn't even at-reply me here to this post - although it's fair to assume that I might scan NIN related threads on ETS and eventually turn this one up.

As you probably know, because I know you've been reading for almost as long as we've been publishing (your handle always stuck out to me, I don't know why) - when I started the NIN Hotline, I started it as a joint effort between myself, Paul, and John. Over the years, we've had a rotating volunteer staff. The reason I positioned it this way is because I knew that I could not shoulder the burden of maintaining a site like that by myself. I'm grateful for all the help I've gotten over the years (it'll be 15 in June) from people all around the world, many of whom have gone on to do really great things. Fifteen years ago, I was in between jobs, single, living in York, PA where pretty much nothing happens.

Now I'm living in Philadelphia, with a full-time job, married to a composer, own a house (well, once the mortgage is paid off), play in two bands, and document performances of my wife's music (she's much more successful in that field than I am). I also maintain this forum, which is actually way more work than the Hotline's ever been.

I periodically put the call out for help on the Hotline, and each time I do, fewer and fewer people step up to help out - server administration aside, because the server ETS & the Hotline are on... it's constantly needing help. Anyone who's ever volunteered to do any level of programming flakes out. One of the more recent volunteers, Carrie, opted to work on our Facebook page, which really did need to have more presence than it had. It still has plenty of room to grow.

I can't do it all myself, and honestly, my interests as a web developer have evolved over the years. I like getting deep under the hood, into the pipes. Writing out HTML updates feels like a waste of my time given my skillset (versus the speed at which I can spit out a tweet). I want to bring the focus back to the front page, to the website, but it's a struggle to get motivated. And it's a struggle to find other people who are motivated enough, too. The way people use the internet continues to evolve. Wikipedia, for example, pretty much killed the kind of fan sites that were all over the internet when I first used it in 1994, the kind of fan info site I ran before I started a news site.

Working on the Hotline can actually be a really promising opportunity. Every single job I've gotten has been influenced by, "Oh, and on the side, I work on this site that gets hundreds of thousands of viewers." Or "Yeah, I have been given responsibility to a Twitter account that has naturally accumulated 25,000 followers."

I have spinoffs off the Hotline's content management system that I continue to improve, and have moved into source control, with plans to upgrade the Hotline's CMS with the features I've built for those other systems. I've even finally written code for consuming the current Twitter API that I can incorporate back into the Hotline - at some point.

The twitter is updated more often than the website, and that's partially my fault. This year I hope to push up changes to the interface that will make it as convenient to update as Twitter, hopefully bringing people back to the place where it all started, with Twitter and Facebook returning to being secondary and tertiary satellite NIN news campuses.

marodi
01-10-2014, 02:19 PM
(...) I started it as a joint effort between myself, Paul, and John (...)

You've worked with the Beatles?

(please don't hurt me, I'm high on caffeine and it made me post this.)

Random NIN thoughts: Trent is a great storyteller so I wonder if one day he will sit down to write a sort of biography of NIN?

Halo Infinity
01-10-2014, 03:49 PM
I'd certainly hope so, considering how Ministry and Marilyn Manson had already put out books, and I'd like to see his side of the stories they've put out mentioning him. And aside from his experiences from Pretty Hate Machine to The Downward Spiral, I'd also love to see what he'd say about his years in 1996-1998 and 2001-2004.

Joy Prevention Hotline
01-10-2014, 07:54 PM
I'm sorry if this is an obvious question, but what's stopping you from getting the DVD? even if just to morally justify pirating it?
Is there an official diagnosis for Little Plastic Disc Fatigue yet? :p

TBH, I kind of balked at the price — $27 for a concert DVD seems high to me, even for two discs. Especially when people keep using words like “dirty” to describe it. Are we talking Closure dirty here?

Ryan
01-10-2014, 08:40 PM
I'd certainly hope so, considering how Ministry and Marilyn Manson had already put out books, and I'd like to see his side of the stories they've put out mentioning him. And aside from his experiences from Pretty Hate Machine to The Downward Spiral, I'd also love to see what he'd say about his years in 1996-1998 and 2001-2004.

That'd be amazing.

FULLMETAL
01-10-2014, 09:14 PM
All right, I'll give props to 42 Entertainment for getting NASA involved in the sequel to Year Zero.
http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/nustar/B1509-pia17566/#.UtC2-aUUER4

Leviathant
01-10-2014, 09:34 PM

On and off again, I think about writing an e-book about the events leading up to and the making of The Downward Spiral and/or The Fragile. I've certainly studied the everloving shit out of them. About fourteen years ago, I was approached by a publishing company to write a book about Nine Inch Nails, but the idea seemed pretty silly to me at the time. I'd have to really set aside some time to do something like that the way that I really wanted to, though... and I'm not good at setting aside that kind of time.

Your Name Here
01-10-2014, 09:50 PM
On and off again, I think about writing an e-book about the events leading up to and the making of The Downward Spiral and/or The Fragile. I've certainly studied the everloving shit out of them. About fourteen years ago, I was approached by a publishing company to write a book about Nine Inch Nails, but the idea seemed pretty silly to me at the time. I'd have to really set aside some time to do something like that the way that I really wanted to, though... and I'm not good at setting aside that kind of time.

As a musician, I'd really like to see a book about the process of making his music rather than his personal life, I'd be more interested in what music influenced him at a younger age (some of that is easy to see), but also the thought process in writing and the technical part of the recording process of TDS, TF, With Teeth, and Broken.

Halo Infinity
01-10-2014, 09:52 PM
@Leviathant (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1) - If you ever get around to it, then I suppose @sheepdean (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=350) would be one of the best ETS members to collaborate with. I'm also very glad that know that I'm clearly not alone in sometimes obsessively looking into what happened during those years of Trent Reznor's life. I mean, not that I should think I'm alone when I'm talking about NIN like that in ETS, but still.

This place was always the best place to learn new things about NIN, and it's nice to see people into NIN as much as me, or even more than me. :)

Halo Infinity
01-10-2014, 09:54 PM
As a musician, I'd really like to see a book about the process of making his music rather than his personal life, I'd be more interested in what music influenced him at a younger age (some of that is easy to see), but also the thought process in writing and the technical part of the recording process of TDS, TF, With Teeth, and Broken.
I was actually hoping for both, or pretty much all of the above. It would be also nice to read about what he did from 1982-1987, only this time, through his actual words.

sick among the pure
01-11-2014, 12:22 AM
I love to be reminded of all of the awesome hat exists in the NIN fan community.

Also, I was listening to the bootleg of the Wave Goodbye club shows I was able to go to in 09, and remembered people bitching about Trent saying that was the end forever and then coming back, how they felt cheated or like they shelled out the money for nothing, or something. And I'm like "what the fuck no. no." Those shows, the experience, the setlists, the energy, the emotions, everything. Every god damn thing about the shows I made it to. Those were amazing shows. I don't regret it for a second. And nothing about them being "ggodbye" and then Trent coming back made me even hesitate to go to a festival and 4 arena shows this last time around. None of that experience makes me feel like I won't spend every spare cent I have to go to as many shows as I can this year. I'm sad I never got to see NIN back in the 90's. The Self Destruct, Dissonance, and Fragility 2.0 tours all looked amazing and I would give anything to have gone. But I am so glad I am a Nine Inch Nails fan right now. I go to every show so excited, so fucking happy. So what if I've seen Hurt at every show, I will still fucking sing along and cry and it will be amazing. Preaching to the choir, I'm sure, but people who are grumpy and don't enjoy these shows, what even? I don't get it. I want to make some of the best friends I've ever made in line, or while waiting for the NIN to come on, feel the energy of the pit, smell the stage fog, look into Trent and Robin's eyes, I want to experience Nine Inch Nails live as much as I can, while I still can.

edit: I may have been a little over-emotional after that 4 glasses of wine...

gorast
01-11-2014, 12:32 AM
I remember being incredibly upset back in 2009, when I'd barely been a fan for a few months, and I missed what I thought would be my only chance to ever see NIN live, down in West Palm for the NINJA tour. When Trent made the announcement that NIN was returning last year, I completely lost my shit, because that would be my chance to see my favorite band in a live setting. And it happened, on Halloween no less, and it was one of the greatest concert experiences I've ever had.

Basically, fuck anyone who was mad that NIN went away "forever" and then came back.

nooneimportant
01-11-2014, 05:10 AM
I remember being incredibly upset back in 2009, when I'd barely been a fan for a few months, and I missed what I thought would be my only chance to ever see NIN live, down in West Palm for the NINJA tour. When Trent made the announcement that NIN was returning last year, I completely lost my shit, because that would be my chance to see my favorite band in a live setting. And it happened, on Halloween no less, and it was one of the greatest concert experiences I've ever had.

Basically, fuck anyone who was mad that NIN went away "forever" and then came back.

I had a similar experience with Primus back in 2010, one of my favorite bands ever in existence. They barely toured after 2008, no word was ever given and it seemed all but done. They got a new drummer and announced a massive Fall Tour in 2010. I go to that show, which is my first official concert... and I was treated by an unnanounced full playing of their first album top to bottom. Incredible experience. Then I saw them again that same year on December 30th, with The Residents opening and another full album set. Another unreal experience.

I don't know if I'll ever get to see NIN live, but what I do know is that I saw them perform over the Summer on streams during their Festival tour and that was pretty cool. The funny part is I was coming home on a plane into San Francisco off a vacation the day NIN played Outside Lands Festival, I got home about maybe 2 hours before they hit the stage. Being in town knowing NIN is playing and not being able to go is a brutal feeling. The stream made up for it completely.

neorev
01-11-2014, 07:16 AM
something out of Year Zero...
http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/260484/scientists-seek-time-travelers-on-twitter

GibbonBlack
01-11-2014, 08:31 AM
I can't be the only one that knew NIN were going to be doing another tour. I didn't know for sure, but didn't Trent say he wasn't planning on doing anything for the foreseeable future? And not "never again".

fillow
01-11-2014, 08:36 AM
Trent's comments were vague, actually. I've listened to several bootlegs from 2009 and what he was saying to the crowd varied from show to show from "This is our last ever show here " to "This is [I]probably out last show here" and to just "We're gonna disappear for a while" or smth in this vein.

sick among the pure
01-11-2014, 02:48 PM
Yeah, he said everything between this is Nine Inch Nails' last tour ever but we will still be making music to Nine Inch Nails is taking a break. After HTDA was formed, I thought NIN as a touring entity was actually done, and that the new band would take care of his urge to play music live. I think that might be part of the reason that he announced NIN's return just before those HTDA tickets went on sale, so that people who were only going because it was thought to be the only way to see HIM live again wouldn't spoil the experience for people who wanted to see HTDA live. I am still convinced to this day that if he didn't announce NIN's return until after the HTDA tour, he would have gotten more drunk "HEAD LIKE A HOLE" heckling.

jessamineny
01-11-2014, 02:54 PM
He still got that, unfortunately. :(

blassster
01-11-2014, 10:12 PM
Well in some interview when HM album/tours were starting up, TR said something along the lines of promising MQ that he won't miss his kids growing up. So, when they are in school and can't be with him on tour then that will likely be when he's nearing the end of large scale and international tours. Some "fans" still won't get that, when it happens. Maybe 2014 is already when he plans to end it again.

Also, I always liked when he yelps. Like when he says skin in the "shed precious skin" part of In Two. There are more examples, but I can't think of them right now.

Ryan
01-11-2014, 10:19 PM
Never seen this video before. Trent gets a Japanese woman onstage to translate stuff, cake gets thrown at Alessandro and they play Capital G.

http://vimeo.com/66919663

nooneimportant
01-12-2014, 04:27 AM
Also, I always liked when he yelps. Like when he says skin in the "shed precious skin" part of In Two. There are more examples, but I can't think of them right now.

I love that weird deep tone he uses sometimes, like in Terrible Lie when he says "My hate for you grows all the more extreme." My favorite version of that style was Made In America Festival during Somewhat Damaged when he says "In the back, off the side, and far away is a place where I hide. WHERE I STAY." Sounds cartoonishly evil, but that's fantastic. Emotion, man.

Inkë
01-12-2014, 04:35 AM
All these videos related to Japan that Trent uploaded probably helped me to dive into J-pop. I wonder if he's a Yasutaka Nakata fanboy too.

pinata89
01-13-2014, 07:31 PM

Just wanted to comment on the above, bold-type text. It's funny that you point out that we all have daily browsing pattern's--and it's blatantly true (at least for myself). While I certainly know myself and several of my close pals do the same sort of thing for music-related news, is this a good premise for a new thread? I do not know how to do this appropriately, nor do I consider myself a tenured-enough member to do so--but I think it would be interesting for members here to see what the typical ETS population follow as a general music news "browsing routine," mainly for the sake of providing other credible resources for music news, or media in general. Maybe it's not as cut-and-dry as that, but still an interesting idea.

jessamineny
01-13-2014, 08:08 PM
Just wanted to comment on the above, bold-type text. It's funny that you point out that we all have daily browsing pattern's--and it's blatantly true (at least for myself). While I certainly know myself and several of my close pals do the same sort of thing for music-related news, is this a good premise for a new thread? I do not know how to do this appropriately, nor do I consider myself a tenured-enough member to do so--but I think it would be interesting for members here to see what the typical ETS population follow as a general music news "browsing routine," mainly for the sake of providing other credible resources for music news, or media in general. Maybe it's not as cut-and-dry as that, but still an interesting idea.

You don't need tenure around here to do anything. Jump right in. (If you ever don't know where a thread should belong, I'm sure you can ask a mod in the Reports and Suggestions section and they'd be happy to answer.)

HurtinMinorKey
01-13-2014, 08:08 PM
I wonder if Trent regrets going to Columbia. Looks like Hesitation Marks probably won't outsell Year Zero.

Joy Prevention Hotline
01-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Also, I always liked when he yelps. Like when he says skin in the "shed precious skin" part of In Two.
Everything about that song is awesome. Especially live.

Joy Prevention Hotline
01-13-2014, 08:57 PM
I wonder if Trent regrets going to Columbia. Looks like Hesitation Marks probably won't outsell Year Zero.
The way things are going, no one is going to outsell an album from 2007.

icecream
01-13-2014, 08:58 PM
YZ has been out for years now. Give HM a chance, he was pretty much constantly on the road after its release and the years after. That generally boosts album sales of an artists cataloge. HM is still a baby, only out for a few months, I don't get why people are worried about its sales. Granted, they weren't stellar, but YZ had cool promotional alternate reality game and a decent music video.

sick among the pure
01-13-2014, 09:08 PM

Hesitation Marks also didn't have a massive ARG, and a subject matter that can attract a lot of people outside the NIN fanbase.

BRoswell
01-13-2014, 09:50 PM
I just realized that Suck could have benefited from some live Pino Palladino bass magic. Curses!

simonn
01-14-2014, 01:16 AM
but I think it would be interesting for members here to see what the typical ETS population follow as a general music news "browsing routine," mainly for the sake of providing other credible resources for music news, or media in general. Maybe it's not as cut-and-dry as that, but still an interesting idea.

For me Twitter is my main source these days, as I follow most of the bands that I like, along with some music websites. Saves a lot of time.

theimage13
01-14-2014, 05:00 PM
I just realized that Suck could have benefited from some live Pino Palladino bass magic. Curses!

I love what Pino added to the lineup, but I'm not sure that the style he brought would really suit that song. Maybe Sunspots - maybe. But the bassline for Suck feels like it has a tonality better suited to the style of someone like Danny or Trent.

BRoswell
01-14-2014, 05:09 PM
I love what Pino added to the lineup, but I'm not sure that the style he brought would really suit that song. Maybe Sunspots - maybe. But the bassline for Suck feels like it has a tonality better suited to the style of someone like Danny or Trent.

I'm thinking about it being played more like the Pigface version than the version on Broken. I think if they went in that direction, Pino could have contributed something really cool.

nooneimportant
01-15-2014, 01:15 AM
I'm thinking about it being played more like the Pigface version than the version on Broken. I think if they went in that direction, Pino could have contributed something really cool.

The live version that Pigface did with Trent would be where Pino can shine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjEq0DqnD2w

gorast
01-16-2014, 12:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbXqpuaRO4c

Piano covers sure aren't new, but I like this one.

Halo Infinity
01-16-2014, 03:35 AM
From the looks of it, piano covers of Mr Self Destruct and All The Love In The World happen to be among my most favorite Nine Inch Nails songs to be covered in that way.

Volband
01-16-2014, 11:24 AM

Amazing. That's how I like a cover.

icecream
01-16-2014, 01:14 PM
Trent is a super busy guy but if he ever got the time, it would be cool to see him write a book. Not a celebrity memoir. I am almost through reading "How Music Works", by David Byrne and would recommend it to anyone interested. It's pretty much his thoughts on music with a bit of music history and his past musical projects. It would be neat to see Trent write something like this. His theories on composition, performance, presentation, recording etc.. and why he does things certain ways and what has inspired him to make the work he has created.

r_z
01-16-2014, 01:25 PM
I don't know, man. He's the producer of music I'm a fan of. I don't get all those Trent crushs like "write a book!", "i hope he's not loosing any money!!", "it would be interesting to see him writing a movie script!", "those Columbia basterds didn't promote MY trent the right way!!1!" and stuff.

But then again I'm on a NIN board and stuff like that comes with the territory, I guess.

icecream
01-16-2014, 02:55 PM
Not an autobiography, as I said, a book about his views on music. Not just his, but music and composition in general. He is a producer of music I am a fan of too, that's why I think it would be a interesting book. It's not weird to suggest that, im not saying I want to have his kids or anything.

Halo Infinity
01-16-2014, 03:04 PM
But then again I'm on a NIN board and stuff like that comes with the territory, I guess.
That's how I've actually seen it on any Internet forum dedicated to one band, or one musician for quite some time. It just doesn't surprise me, nor confuse me at all, even though I could definitely see where you're coming from, and that's even when I'm among the fans that would actually like to see Trent Reznor put out a book. :p

Volband
01-16-2014, 03:52 PM
Trent is a super busy guy but if he ever got the time, it would be cool to see him write a book. Not a celebrity memoir. I am almost through reading "How Music Works", by David Byrne and would recommend it to anyone interested. It's pretty much his thoughts on music with a bit of music history and his past musical projects. It would be neat to see Trent write something like this. His theories on composition, performance, presentation, recording etc.. and why he does things certain ways and what has inspired him to make the work he has created.
I'd like the exact opposite, aka more on the lines of the celebrity memoir. I don't mean stuff like ".. then I met X, he was a great guy, but turned out to be a cunt. fuck him. i hope you read it fucker!", but I'd like to know every tiny little detail about behind the scenes stuff about songs and albums, and his life in general, except the things he's been not putting out on purpose (eg. romantic relationships). I'd read stuff like when he talked about how he made La Mer.

icecream
01-16-2014, 07:39 PM
I'd like the exact opposite, aka more on the lines of the celebrity memoir. I don't mean stuff like ".. then I met X, he was a great guy, but turned out to be a cunt. fuck him. i hope you read it fucker!", but I'd like to know every tiny little detail about behind the scenes stuff about songs and albums, and his life in general, except the things he's been not putting out on purpose (eg. romantic relationships). I'd read stuff like when he talked about how he made La Mer.
There might be a bit of autobiographical context behind the songs and its aid in the creation of music that he would write about in my hypothetical book. But I don't want to read strictly about his childhood or love life, the guy deserves some privacy too.

Microwave Jellyfish
01-16-2014, 09:17 PM
Sunspots is friggin' awesome. And today's the first time I've heard it since July 2012. My loss.

Joy Prevention Hotline
01-16-2014, 09:32 PM

Damn that’s good. I’m giving her a spin in Spotify as I type this.

[73]
01-17-2014, 05:47 AM
I saw the Came Back Haunted t-shirt at Hot Topic on clearance yesterday. It's too bad it was a size small. Haha.

WorzelG
01-17-2014, 10:39 AM
. But I don't want to read strictly about his childhood or love life, the guy deserves some privacy too.
Considering Courtney Love has an autobiography which is surely due out soon, his privacy on that front is probably moot!

icecream
01-17-2014, 01:19 PM
Considering Courtney Love has an autobiography which is surely due out soon, his privacy on that front is probably moot!
Oh god.....

theimage13
01-17-2014, 02:14 PM
;162041']I saw the Came Back Haunted t-shirt at Hot Topic on clearance yesterday. It's too bad it was a size small. Haha.

So THAT'S where all the clothing that would actually fit me ends up. Everything I ever see on clearance here is too big for me.

But back to NIN...I'm in the camp that would be interested in reading a book from Trent. I mean, the guy is largely responsible for bringing industrial music to mainstream attention, and went from being rail thin and so drugged out of his mind that he couldn't sing his own songs to being jacked, married with kids, and accepting Golden Globe and Oscar awards in a tux. To call his career bizarre and prolific would be an understatement. I'd be interested to read about the journey.

Joy Prevention Hotline
01-17-2014, 06:47 PM
Dunno if this has been public knowledge for a while and I’m just finding out now, but I’m really excited to hear that Robin is working on a solo album (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/robin_finck_ive_been_very_blessed_with_the_opportu nities_and_ive_enjoyed_saying_yes_to_them.html?no_ takeover). I’ve enjoyed Allesandro and Ilan’s music so much that I wondered if he was content to always be somebody else’s guitar player or just hadn’t got around to it.

icecream
01-17-2014, 07:00 PM
Dunno if this has been public knowledge for a while and I’m just finding out now, but I’m really excited to hear that Robin is working on a solo album (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/robin_finck_ive_been_very_blessed_with_the_opportu nities_and_ive_enjoyed_saying_yes_to_them.html?no_ takeover). I’ve enjoyed Allesandro and Ilan’s music so much that I wondered if he was content to always be somebody else’s guitar player or just hadn’t got around to it.
I was surprised by that, I think it would be an interesting album to check out. He came across as a really cool, normal guy in that interview

sick among the pure
01-17-2014, 08:20 PM
I'm also excited to hear it, I've loved Robin since I got into NIN. The sad part is, if he's working on it and NIN continues/goes back out on tour next year (and beyond), that might mean no Robin. Ally left to do his solo stuff (and came back). Can I be selfish and want Robin's solo work but also for him to tour with NIN all the time?

Halo Infinity
01-17-2014, 09:36 PM
I really hope to hear and see Nine Inch Nails perform Kinda I Want To, That's What I Get, The Only Time, and Ringfinger live again. I can only imagine what they'd sound like now, or how they would've sounded like when Pino Palladino was still on tour with him.

pinata89
01-18-2014, 01:04 AM
I really hope to hear and see Nine Inch Nails perform Kinda I Want To, That's What I Get, The Only Time, and Ringfinger live again. I can only imagine what they'd sound like now, or how they would've sounded like when Pino Palladino was still on tour with him.

"Ringfinger" is a song that is totally do-able (and would be completely awesome, if given an opportunity); I can understand not playing the other three, however...just for "dated" reasons (these three are probably the most "80's-sounding" songs on the album). On topic, another song I was anticipating this past tour was "Happiness in Slavery"--mainly because I knew he could do the verses and chorus....figured he would have Finck and the female vocalists' cover the "Slave Screams!" parts....I was wrong, unfortunately. But I felt this was a good time to bring that song back from the dead, for some reason.

pinata89
01-18-2014, 01:09 AM
So THAT'S where all the clothing that would actually fit me ends up. Everything I ever see on clearance here is too big for me.

But back to NIN...I'm in the camp that would be interested in reading a book from Trent. I mean, the guy is largely responsible for bringing industrial music to mainstream attention, and went from being rail thin and so drugged out of his mind that he couldn't sing his own songs to being jacked, married with kids, and accepting Golden Globe and Oscar awards in a tux. To call his career bizarre and prolific would be an understatement. I'd be interested to read about the journey.

Dude....a Trent Reznor autobiography would be a best-seller in no time. If written in the style of the Kiedis and Manson autobiography's, it would really be something special.....no doubt, all of us devoted fans on this forum would order a few copies just for kicks:D

But let's be real: this will never happen.

thirty_three
01-18-2014, 01:11 AM
I'm also excited to hear it, I've loved Robin since I got into NIN. The sad part is, if he's working on it and NIN continues/goes back out on tour next year (and beyond), that might mean no Robin. Ally left to do his solo stuff (and came back). Can I be selfish and want Robin's solo work but also for him to tour with NIN all the time?

Ideally he would be able to balance NIN (if NIN is still touring when he finally releases something) and solo stuff in the future, but if he couldn't, I'd rather see him do his own thing for once, because it's been a long time coming. He put his work on the backburner when Trent called him in for the 2013/2014 tours. It was rumoured (not for the first time) he was working on a solo album in 2010, and in 2011 he confirmed he was. He kept working on it throughout 2012 and 2013 leading up to his return to NIN, but most people weren't aware and thought Robin didn't do anything at all in between tours so this wasn't common knowledge until today I guess. He's had his own songs for many many years. Judging by the fact that he considers his album at this point to be still in the "early" stages I'd assume he's scrapped a lot of ideas and/or he really slowed down at various points. I don't know. I wish I did, haha.

sick among the pure
01-18-2014, 02:12 AM
"Ringfinger" is a song that is totally do-able (and would be completely awesome, if given an opportunity); I can understand not playing the other three, however...just for "dated" reasons (these three are probably the most "80's-sounding" songs on the album). On topic, another song I was anticipating this past tour was "Happiness in Slavery"--mainly because I knew he could do the verses and chorus....figured he would have Finck and the female vocalists' cover the "Slave Screams!" parts....I was wrong, unfortunately. But I felt this was a good time to bring that song back from the dead, for some reason.

He could always have Robin do the "Slave screams" high part, not only with the female backing vocalists. I think it has less to do with that and more to do with what he mentioned about only playing songs that felt real/genuine/relevant to him now. Which is why he scrapped Closer after the festival leg (where some people might only know that song).
Don't get me wrong, I have had my fingers crossed for Happiness in Slavery since my very first show, and will always hope that Trent just uses Robin's godly voice for the higher pitched parts he can't sing, but I don't think it's going to happen now that Trent isn't in that kind of mindset anymore.

(this is when he reads my post and has it as the opener for the next tour just to prove me wrong)

AlanMorlock
01-18-2014, 03:17 AM
For the longest time I've thought Mary Grandpre's Illustrations of Severus Snape from the Harry Potter books looked like Trent but I've never directly compared them until now.

It is is uncanny! To the point where I am honestly wondering if there was a direct reference or influence. The drawing below is from one of the later books, but she actually started illustrating that series around the the same time The Perfect Drug came out.
https://31.media.tumblr.com/4d60610c74976961f5695cdea3cd3ae6/tumblr_mzlaoq46qy1rvmqxto1_500.jpghttps://24.media.tumblr.com/ea6e2856b71f6a27549711c62b7064f6/tumblr_mzlaoq46qy1rvmqxto2_250.jpghttps://24.media.tumblr.com/247e7f615cb8a6b93ffcbd30483ce83b/tumblr_mzlaoq46qy1rvmqxto3_250.jpg

What's funny is that even in the films, Alan Rickman's Snape costumes are very similar to what Trent wheres in The Perfect Drug video.

sheepdean
01-18-2014, 03:33 AM
Wait, the Americans have illustrations in Harry Potter? Wtf?

icecream
01-18-2014, 04:08 AM
Dude....a Trent Reznor autobiography would be a best-seller in no time. If written in the style of the Kiedis and Manson autobiography's, it would really be something special.....no doubt, all of us devoted fans on this forum would order a few copies just for kicks:D

But let's be real: this will never happen.
But that's what I mean. I don't think Trent would do a normal celebrity memoir. That's why after reading David Byrne's book I thought it would be cool for Trent to do something similar. I have read Scar Tissue and Long Hard Road Out of Hell and neither I thought were very good. How Music Works, was very good. Though scattered at times, it had very interesting insights into music creation.

AlanMorlock
01-18-2014, 04:26 AM

Yeah just small little pictures under the chapter titles.

simonn
01-18-2014, 04:45 AM

That was quality - I've updated her wiki page to reflect what is bound to be the highlight of her career! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diane_Birch

simonn
01-18-2014, 05:03 AM

That was actually a really good interview - don't think I've ever read anything from Robin of any length before.

BenAkenobi
01-18-2014, 05:13 AM

I fear this will spread and more people will know the cover but not the original. No way, Nine inch who? That's our dear Diane's song!

hobochic
01-18-2014, 05:32 AM
That was actually a really good interview - don't think I've ever read anything from Robin of any length before.

Robin sounds like a real douche.

////
Obviously just kidding, he's always come across as a real chill and humble dude and I think his solo stuff is gonna be great.

Halo Infinity
01-19-2014, 04:41 PM
I was just listening to Heresy again, and have realized that it has actually been a habit for me to think, "No thanks. I'd rather not." on the part of the song that goes, "Will you die for this?"

fillow
01-21-2014, 05:16 AM
News. I need them.

Volband
01-21-2014, 06:04 AM
I fear this will spread and more people will know the cover but not the original. No way, Nine inch who? That's our dear Diane's song!
Yeah, I already picked on a commenter who was bashing Trent, stating the original sucked... but that's the price to pay, I guess. It's rare I meet people who appreciate NIN's work: they either like some of the songs, or just not into them, but I don't see the eagerness in them to dig deep. And I say this based on quite the sample size, because trust me, I tried to introduce them to almost everyone I knew, but 95% of the time it's either too noisy and harsh, or not power-metal. Everyone likes THTF though, haha.

Anyway, as cool it is to stay non-mainstream and keep our precious NIN to ourselves, I believe this female entity really grasped onto Copy Of A, it touched her - and I doubt she was just playin' some FIFA 14 and got along with the song, she probably liked NIN for a long time now, maybe inspired her in some other ways as well -, and we should be really proud if it skyrockets her career. Those people who will bash on NIN would not give a rat's ass about Trent's work anyway.

jmtd
01-21-2014, 11:57 AM
That was quality - I've updated her wiki page to reflect what is bound to be the highlight of her career! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diane_Birch

Amazing, you've nailed wikipedia's broken sentence house style perfectly!

jmtd
01-21-2014, 11:58 AM

All American novels are illustrated, didn't you know?

(Sorry.)

Joy Prevention Hotline
01-21-2014, 12:31 PM
Goddammit. I’m racing around trying to keep my head above water (figuratively speaking) and somebody decides today is the day to go into NIN news berzerker mode. Grammys! Remixes! Movies! Something about beets!

Just put me on record as saying “Yay!” to everything — wait a minute, I never liked beets — while I go back to work.

icecream
01-21-2014, 12:43 PM
I picked up an American copy and it surprised me too, in Canada we don't have them. I think the ones here are exactly the same or very similar to the UK ones.

Repeater
01-21-2014, 02:11 PM
Goddammit. I’m racing around trying to keep my head above water (figuratively speaking) and somebody decides today is the day to go into NIN news berzerker mode. Grammys! Remixes! Movies! Something about beets!

Just put me on record as saying “Yay!” to everything — wait a minute, I never liked beets — while I go back to work.

Couldn't have said it better.

Volband
01-21-2014, 02:17 PM

Blame this guy

News. I need them.

fillow
01-21-2014, 02:37 PM
Well then.

The Perfect Drug live @ rehearsals video. I need it.

Hope this works.

Volband
01-21-2014, 02:46 PM
Well then.

The Perfect Drug live @ rehearsals video. I need it.

Hope this works.
Did you just use your superpower for a rehearsals perfromance of TPF instead of seeing it live/have an HQ video where they perfrom it live in a big ass arena with lights that make you wonder whether you used LSD that day or not?

fillow
01-21-2014, 02:53 PM
Well they aren't on tour right now. Unless... you know... the Grammy performance...
Okay, I blew it.

fortheloveofgod
01-21-2014, 03:39 PM
Holy Hell. NIN Christmas came late and its snowing!!!

-Seed 8
-Grammy Performance
-New film Score

jnk6980
01-21-2014, 03:51 PM
Well with the announcement that Trent & Atticus will be scoring Gone Girl. I think it's safe to say that Trent's become Fincher's go to guy for the music in his movies.

Volband
01-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Well with the announcement that Trent & Atticus will be scoring Gone Girl. I think it's safe to say that Trent's become Fincher's go to guy for the music in his movies.
Let's hope it remains a one-way work-relationship.

sheepdean
01-21-2014, 06:53 PM
And Atticus just shows up uninvited?

Vertigo
01-21-2014, 07:04 PM
Fincher probably still remembers Trent from the 90s and works under the assumption that he's a vampire. Atticus is too polite to be a creature of the night, so he doesn't need to be invited in.

jnk6980
01-21-2014, 07:05 PM
And Atticus just shows up uninvited?

Why do people always feel the need to be a smartass? Especially online?

As you obviously understood the intent of my post. But for arguments sake i'll explain it more clearly. Yes Trent and Atticus will both be involved with the score but lets be realistic here, Trent was the main focus while Atticus happens to be his main collaborator who he likes to work with on projects.

screwdriver
01-22-2014, 09:45 AM
#rant
NIN, I love you, but NIN-Fans, you're bringing me down.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think everything Reznor has done is great. I still giggle at the pretentiousness of some 90s era TR-interviews. I still don't like Year Zero and don't think I ever really will. I like the TSN score but my wife and I have to laugh at the "Hand Covers Bruise" theme *every time.*

But by and large, I think Reznor and NIN have done some amazing things, and continue to do some amazing things, and it makes me happy that, out of dumb luck, the band that I clicked on to when I was younger has evolved into something ever smarter and fiercer. (As opposed to their competitors for my high school attention -- collapsing in on themselves like Manson, or just sort of fading out, like Tool.)

And yet, I feel like half of the posts on this board are just... really inane, banal silliness. The straw breaking the camel's back here is this idea that the remixes aren't experimental enough like FDTS. What you're really saying with something like that is that they're not scratching your brain the same way FDTS did. Which is fine, but get the fuck over yourself. You want to hear FDTS style music, either bust out your 90s era Neubauten or make your own. But acting like its not "experimental" because its not repeating the perfected wall of static approach is just silly. Frankly, the fact that its annoying you means its bold enough for me.

Or the Grammy's thing.... Jesus Christ, NIN played WOODSTOCK 94 for god's sake! The thing that got me into NIN was that it was injecting danger into the mainstream. If NIN was totally an underground band they never would have had the opportunities to blow our minds the way they did.

And finally... Beats. Holy shit, I see so many misguided posts on this it hurts my brain. If subscription services are a better way for people to get paid, I'm all in. I've had Spotify for a year now and the amount -- and variety -- of music I've listened to in that time is mind-blowing. I wish the payment system was more equitable, but growing the pie would be a good way to do that. There was a great quote from Reznor a few years ago about Spotify talking about how he wished the music industry would get back to people being able to hone their craft instead of tour all the time, and I think subscription services might be the way to do that. I don't see what the fucking problem is with him trying to be the one to figure out how to make it work?

I'm sure I'll get torn down, including rightfully so for whining about people whining, but I just wanted to get that off my chest.