PDA

View Full Version : halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29

Digital Twilight
09-09-2013, 06:01 AM
I'm listening to Hesitation Marks again after a few days of leaving it alone and it still resonates. Damn this is good.

dzaver
09-09-2013, 06:07 AM
For anyone wondering why the delay of the deluxe edition of HM. I got the information from a local store in Europe. There was a printing error so they have to reprint it - in 10 days they will be available again. They had to remove them from sale and destroy them :O

Anyone noticed any erorrs on the ones they already got?

dlb
09-09-2013, 06:11 AM
For anyone wondering why the delay of the deluxe edition of HM. I got the information from a local store i Europe. There was a printing error so they have to reprint it - in 10 days there will be available. Anyone noticed any erorrs on the ones they already got?

The lyrics aren't exactly right but I doubt that they arranged a repressing because of this or pulled a halt onto the ongoing prodcution.

InvitingmeAway
09-09-2013, 06:14 AM
For anyone wondering why the delay of the deluxe edition of HM. I got the information from a local store i Europe. There was a printing error so they have to reprint it - in 10 days there will be available. Anyone noticed any erorrs on the ones they already got?

No, not that I can see.

dzaver
09-09-2013, 06:30 AM
I wonder what might be the problem that they pulled them from selling and reprinted them

dzaver
09-09-2013, 06:52 AM
its my first listen to the album now... got the vinyl today. listening to Running now. FUCK!? oH my GOOOODDDD. I love what I hear!

Kamelion
09-09-2013, 07:08 AM
Another week begins - still no CD. Can't stop playing the album, though. It's all me and my wife want to listen to - even other NIN is not sufficient at this time :D.

mr9inchnail
09-09-2013, 08:36 AM
Another week begins - still no Vinyl!

dlb
09-09-2013, 08:46 AM
Well the album as finally settled and these are on constant repeat:

find my way
all time low
sattelite
various methods of escape
running
I would for you
in two

copy of a would be up there too but fuck, I might have heard it to death before the albums release. It's still a killer when I listen to the album as whole!

I still can't get into while I'm still here, cbh is overplayed aswell, disappointed is a great standalone track and everything is the misunderstood sibling of all the other tracks. I take immense care of him when the others are not looking though. :P

ryanmcfly
09-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Copy of A, Find My Way, All Time Low, Various Methods of Escape, Running, In Two, and While I'm Still Here are my favorites. Really, the whole album is great. I still find my self coming back to Came Back Haunted (no pun intended) even though with most singles I don't think I ever do that. All in all, this album as of now is cemented as one of my favorite albums he's done.

Mr.Metheus
09-09-2013, 10:21 AM
I've always pronounced it "day-tuh" and I'm from smack in the middle of Nowhere, USA. FWIW.

My husband and most of his friends are biology grad students so I hear the word an awful lot, and "day-tuh" is much more common. The students are from all over the US and a few other countries as well.

Reznor2112
09-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Is anyone having trouble with the digital downloads from NIN.com?

Everytime I try and download the:

HM Audiophile (WAV), HM (Lossless) and HM (WAV) ... the download starts (very fast I might add) but slows to a stop and times out everytime. Ive tried every different browser and a different computer.

If ANYONE is willing to help me out in getting these 3 files, it would be greatly appreciated.

seasonsinthesky
09-09-2013, 11:52 AM
nothing in music is necessary. (why can't you just say you don't like it or it makes you bored?)

have you made music before? up to a point, simplicity (like "this is boring" or "i don't like this") is applicable, but the more you get inside a track, the more you feel whatever pull it has on its own. there's no sentience but there is a sort of 'gravity' in music that we can detect and interpret. it would differ for everyone, subjective as this all is, but i don't find the existence of this sense of 'gravity' subjective at all. i hear it in every song.

tl;dr: the song tells you what is 'necessary' once you understand it for yourself.

Collin
09-09-2013, 12:22 PM
after sitting with it for a while, my favorites are pretty much:

Copy of A
Various Methods of Escape
While I'm Still Here
Satellite

m15a
09-09-2013, 01:18 PM
have you made music before? up to a point, simplicity (like "this is boring" or "i don't like this") is applicable, but the more you get inside a track, the more you feel whatever pull it has on its own. there's no sentience but there is a sort of 'gravity' in music that we can detect and interpret. it would differ for everyone, subjective as this all is, but i don't find the existence of this sense of 'gravity' subjective at all. i hear it in every song.

tl;dr: the song tells you what is 'necessary' once you understand it for yourself.

yes, i have. and i'd rather not have someone else describe my music as wrong because it doesn't have the amount and type of development that they are expecting. personally, i think it'd be better if no one described any music as being incorrect.

no musical work has only one way of understanding it, so there is no one "rightness" or "gravity" to it.

and just because you feel confident enough in your subjectivity that you believe it to be objective, doesn't mean you are actually being objective.

Microwave Jellyfish
09-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Late to the party, but I got it today. Is posting pics of yourself holding your copy still a thing?

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad109/Micro-J/o_hai_marks.png (http://s926.photobucket.com/user/Micro-J/media/o_hai_marks.png.html)

Crappy webcam quality, for which I apologize. My shirt is not associated with scorpiusdiamond's avatar in any way, but I do approve his taste in movies.

Ray1971
09-09-2013, 01:57 PM
After about 100 times through the cd I still love it. I just cant stop listening to it it is sooooo good!

r_k_f
09-09-2013, 02:07 PM
this album, the recent released tour rehearsals and the older With Teeth era tour rehearsals are pretty much all I've been listening to.. I need nothing else (except maybe the new Crosses album whenever that's released)

Leman Russ
09-09-2013, 02:10 PM
It looks like I'm in the minority here, but other than The Eater of Dreams and Copy of A, I think Hesitation Marks totally blows. All Time Low and Disappointed are pretty accurate terms for describing the album, and pretty much sum up my feelings as a whole.

My main complaint are the vocals/lyrics on HM. They all sound so weak and hollow compared to anything else that TR has done. Hearing this album makes me wish that when NIN was "put away" for a while after the Wave Goodbye tour, it would have stayed there.

nineismine
09-09-2013, 02:37 PM
It looks like I'm in the minority here, but other than The Eater of Dreams and Copy of A, I think Hesitation Marks totally blows. All Time Low and Disappointed are pretty accurate terms for describing the album, and pretty much sum up my feelings as a whole.

My main complaint are the vocals/lyrics on HM. They all sound so weak and hollow compared to anything else that TR has done. Hearing this album makes me wish that when NIN was "put away" for a while after the Wave Goodbye tour, it would have stayed there.

If you can't find something to like on this album to the point that "it totally blows" I can't even fathom your reasoning. The one point you offer about lyrics is crazy considering the quality of vocals and lyrics on every album after TDS and up to this one.... As a curiosity which era drew you in?

pigpen
09-09-2013, 02:55 PM
It's such an odd thing for people to harp on TR for his lyrics as though they've degraded in quality over time...
His first fucking album has a line that goes "Now I'm slipping on the tears you've made me cry"

InvitingmeAway
09-09-2013, 03:42 PM
I gotta admit, All Time Low's lyrics are on the simple side, except "your voice in fucking echo stereo". But they are cool and fit the song perfectly. No problems with that song at all.

dlb
09-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Can't wrap my mind across that point either. Every NIN era has some pretty good writing and some cringeworthy lyrics on the other hand. It's always been like this and it will probably never change.

I also don't get why it always has to be made clear (especially by reviewers) that TR got "softer" and "more quiet". Where does that come from and have these people listened to "Year Zero" or half of "the slip"? Yet again, soft and harder songs have also been a steady mix with NIN for all these years. This man doesn't always have to scream his guts out or strain his voice in every direction to deliver emotions. Either way he will do that live anyway.

EndlessLoveless
09-09-2013, 03:51 PM

Question....what is so awesome about the eater of dreams??? Considering the rest of the album "blows"??

edit- just curious^^...the blips or the blips?

nobies
09-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Best songs?

Everything
Various Methods of Escape
In Two
I Would for You
Running

In general, the second half of the album is way better. Love the album though.

butter_hole
09-09-2013, 06:06 PM
looks like #3 it is: http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi

I dont say this as some out of touch old coot, I say this as a 22 year old totally aware of pop culture:

Who the fuck are Ariana Grande and Tamar Braxton?

pigpen
09-09-2013, 06:36 PM

I dont say this as some out of touch old coot, I say this as a 22 year old totally aware of pop culture:

No idea. Although, I'm an out of touch old coot. What the hell do I know!

wunderpanda
09-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Ariana was a Nickelodeon kid, so she has the carry over audience. Tamar was on a smarmy reality show, so she has that audience. Drake was on the Degrassi High series too, just formulaic brainwashing and consumer training. :D

EndlessLoveless
09-09-2013, 07:21 PM
My new jam of the week is running. Its got such a nervous, paranoid feel to it. But i get that chorus stuck in my head like, all day.

Warped_Savant
09-09-2013, 07:21 PM
For anyone wondering why the delay of the deluxe edition of HM. I got the information from a local store in Europe. There was a printing error so they have to reprint it - in 10 days they will be available again. They had to remove them from sale and destroy them :O

Anyone noticed any erorrs on the ones they already got?
It's probably something as small as the UPC is wrong, some of the legal text is missing, or some number somewhere that matters for cataloging is backwards.
They seems silly, but things like that really matter to someone somewhere.

jesus
09-09-2013, 08:14 PM
I just heard for the first time the "how to destroy angels" ep, and I laughed so hard when "Fur Lined" reminded me of "Everything"

joplinpicasso
09-09-2013, 08:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqy4_HSe9pY

Transfixed
09-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Question....what is so awesome about the eater of dreams??? Considering the rest of the album "blows"??

edit- just curious^^...the blips or the blips?

Yeah maaan, In Two with it's amazing structure, powerful music, unique sound and incredible production value just don't do it for me - that stuff blows. What I crave are those badass bleeps and bloops! A few clicking sounds for good measure and I'm in NIN Heaven baby!

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/herp-derp-faces-funny-33.jpg?w=500&h=333

sheepdean
09-09-2013, 09:20 PM
I just heard for the first time the "how to destroy angels" ep, and I laughed so hard when "Fur Lined" reminded me of "Everything"
Woah what took you so long?

On topic: do we actually know if it's Trent on sax?

butter_hole
09-09-2013, 09:34 PM
Yes we do, it's in the credits

howdidislipinto
09-09-2013, 09:39 PM

Aside from the liner notes, he confirmed in the interview on Australian radio today (in NIN Spotting) that the sax was pulled out of storage and it was all him.

voidnz
09-09-2013, 10:01 PM
Heard that Autolux remix of Everything. Worst fucking thing i've heard in my life....well it's close. I'd sooner listen to Miley Cyrus's new song. Not quite as bad as a few other NIN Remixes including that Capital G Switch? Remix or the Olof Me I'm Not remix.

NINisamazing
09-09-2013, 10:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXl_9cCuaAU&feature=player_embedded

Sorta disappointed. I thought the needle drop was going to give it a 8. He really likes the slip, I do too. I think that record is very unappreciated and most people dont get it.
He didnt bring up any of the guest contributions. Which was surprising...

eversonpoe
09-09-2013, 11:12 PM

i am vaguely aware of tamar braxton's existence because roxxxy andrews impersonated her on the snatch game episode of the most recent season of drag race...

on topic: i finally got around to listening to the three remixes on the DE, as well as the demo tracks.
the oneohtrix point never remix of find my way is really interesting, and makes me want to listen to their music.
the todd rundgren remix of all time low is fantastic. i would love to hear some of the elements he accentuated combined with the original song.
gen's remix of while i'm still here is, in my opinion, better than the original. it has more of a darkness to it without over-manipulating the original elements. it's similar to how i feel about the EL-P remix of only: it's more how the song should have sounded in the first place.
the demo tracks were all pretty cool. they sounded like they'd be at home on the next ghosts album (fingers crossed that that's still going to happen).

slave2thewage
09-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Further reason to hate Tamar Braxton AND Roxxxy Andrews.

eversonpoe
09-09-2013, 11:52 PM
Further reason to hate Tamar Braxton AND Roxxxy Andrews.

i was hoping you were going to say something about that. hehehe.
seriously, though, i really hate roxxxy. she's almost worse than phi phi.

anyway, i can't believe that tamar braxton is higher on any chart than NIN. that just seems...wrong.

nineismine
09-10-2013, 12:05 AM
Yeah maaan, In Two with it's amazing structure, powerful music, unique sound and incredible production value just don't do it for me - that stuff blows. What I crave are those badass bleeps and bloops! A few clicking sounds for good measure and I'm in NIN Heaven baby!

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/herp-derp-faces-funny-33.jpg?w=500&h=333

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh fuck im laughing out loud like a maniac right now.

jesus
09-10-2013, 12:33 AM
the need of a new nin album , I couldnt stand how to destroy angels thinking that it could have been halo 28, now with hesitation marks out my mind was ready

m15a
09-10-2013, 12:33 AM
i am vaguely aware of tamar braxton's existence because roxxxy andrews impersonated her on the snatch game episode of the most recent season of drag race...

okay. *now* i feel out of touch with pop culture. :confused::D

sheepdean
09-10-2013, 12:50 AM
the need of a new nin album , I couldnt stand how to destroy angels thinking that it could have been halo 28, now with hesitation marks out my mind was ready
So you've not listened to any HTDA, or was it just EP1 you hadn't heard?

jesus
09-10-2013, 12:53 AM
So you've not listened to any HTDA, or was it just EP1 you hadn't heard?
anything at all, today was the first listen of the ep, besides that I havent heard anything of how to destroy angels... mmm [cough] on topic: hesitation marks is great!

simonn
09-10-2013, 02:43 AM
Another week begins - still no CD. Can't stop playing the album, though. It's all me and my wife want to listen to - even other NIN is not sufficient at this time :D.

Puts me being pissed off with it not turning up on release day into perspective! Bought from NIN.com I assume?

simonn
09-10-2013, 03:14 AM

Presumably he is also responsible for the extended sax in the remix....

Having now had the album for a week, I have to say I haven't clicked with an album as much as this one for more than 20 years (and that includes Like Clockwork which I think is a superb album).

Much like Trent said, I didn't notice everything that was going on on the first couple of listens, but about 7-8 listens in now it really resonates with me. Audiophile version has opened it up even more for me, and while at first I wasn't convinced by the Everything - Running section, over time I have grown to like virtually all of it (though Running is doing it the least for me still). Was very worried about peoples reactions to Everything, but as it turns out, I really like the song. Favourites right now are In Two, Find My Way, WISH/Black Noise and All Time Low. As for the minimalist claims - pah. So, so layered, which is the thing I love about NIN's music the most, and so variable (I even like the remixes of WISH and ATL!) - without doubt my favourite Reznor release since The Fragile. It was well worth the wait.

One comparison that definitely hasn't been made yet having finally caught up with this thread - Various Methods of Escape - sounds like Medazzaland era Duran Duran to me...(that's a good thing).

Fred
09-10-2013, 03:57 AM
Presumably he is also responsible for the extended sax in the remix....

That's just looped, isn't it?

And, off the top of my head, Trent is credited for saxophone on WISH.

simonn
09-10-2013, 05:10 AM
That's just looped, isn't it?

And, off the top of my head, Trent is credited for saxophone on WISH.

I can hear a lot of noodling going on in the remix, not just the original short bursts, and also there is sax in the background of the main initial sax riff of the remix. Certainly it's him on the origianl song (as per the credits).

Kamelion
09-10-2013, 07:15 AM
Puts me being pissed off with it not turning up on release day into perspective! Bought from NIN.com I assume?
Yes. The good news, though, is that it arrived today - deluxe edition in perfect condition! Only a week late, which isn't terrible, I suppose :). Given that I could have bought it on release date locally, the question is: was the extra $13 I spent on shipping worth it? Essentially, that extra $13 dollars gave me access to the singles and the audiophile and hi-def downloads. I'd hoped it would also guarantee receiving the cd on release day, but given that the downloads were immediately available, it seems like a reasonable trade-off in the long run, so I'm happy with how it turned out.

Jasonh83
09-10-2013, 07:29 AM
Glad to hear it isnt just me with a delay.
Yet to recieve mine.

icklekitty
09-10-2013, 07:32 AM
I haven't received my either, but I'm in another country and have lots of experience with getting stuff from abroad. If it's a month late, then I'll worry.

echoespaul
09-10-2013, 07:32 AM
Same. Was starting to worry it was just me!

slave2thewage
09-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Mine just arrived (Deluxe Edition). It's pretty.

jesus
09-10-2013, 10:30 AM
I was starting to worry , uff! Im not the only one then, mine is from amazon and Im in another country too, soo just need a little patience

simonn
09-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Yes. The good news, though, is that it arrived today - deluxe edition in perfect condition! Only a week late, which isn't terrible, I suppose :). Given that I could have bought it on release date locally, the question is: was the extra $13 I spent on shipping worth it? Essentially, that extra $13 dollars gave me access to the singles and the audiophile and hi-def downloads. I'd hoped it would also guarantee receiving the cd on release day, but given that the downloads were immediately available, it seems like a reasonable trade-off in the long run, so I'm happy with how it turned out.

Better late than never, and at least you got to hear it in the interim...! Glad it all worked out ok,

jesus
09-11-2013, 12:41 AM
I die a little bit every time I listen to the autolux remix of "Everything"

jesus
09-11-2013, 03:22 PM
especifics are really good:
"Nine Inch Nails returns with its first studio album since 2008, as "Hesitation Marks" bows at No. 3 with 107,000. The set is the act's first for Columbia Records, after two independently released studio efforts in 2008. Those indie albums—"The Slip" and "Ghosts I-IV"—launched at Nos. 13 and 14 with 29,000 and 26,000, respectively. The band's last major-label studio set, 2007's "Year Zero" on Nothing/Interscope Records, started at No. 2 with 187,000. All told, "Hesitation Marks" gives Nine Inch Nails its 14th charting set and sixth top 10 album."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5687364/ariana-grande-debuts-at-no-1-on-billboard-200

laz001
09-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Yes finally! (I am UK based!!!)

https://bmbmqg.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2pHbdgxZxIiI9wmE3ziGh5SnzBY8rrpFQ7fvYO0hUhX-Mw663x7yjubg2MiqnepEMOwoGm0Fbm0cl7pT4aRn_XyewpbAjq IFVwojnm5IUYbq4/IMG_0336.JPG?psid=1

https://bmbmqg.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2p0kzMcTbB1B6C5d3cn0X4VS9WTssHOpOGE7y5hr7Eo3gkHVv qfm8UC8aFWs6FWgHs3NhWAlRUe7y_6iFbS0xX__MGZ9UbNaQuf rsa1mMKCDk/IMG_0337.JPG?psid=1

https://bmbmqg.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2pIGPXQYNOeYEDwA4aU617Vx0KafVS7r4WJhoElTtRKNnDcKs 193KzLFDyall7HwPitiYW71fN1iZ5sz3fvRc6_jy3FhPnVMUgV IGUxPNSUqQ/IMG_0338.JPG?psid=1

https://bmbmqg.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2pyoTszcOyvhxlEtrmZW_e_STC3vT723h8cJ1D8EktOK-tQV1gUayKSfIXHLW3TFwKBee4xNk73tX7alqyR1vyDKtfws5cn AZYS3by5jAwT9k/IMG_0342.JPG?psid=1

https://bmbmqg.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2ppKb_23RYEwMAowpW9Utjstru-L9EjqtULxZ45sq1HWkSWfcwJIrdhtnMgBEGGOPHkf2VT7CSU92 sIyS6KLHHEGc_zPImQAOlY9i0UWKMEbQ/IMG_0344.JPG?psid=1

https://bmbmqg.bn1.livefilestore.com/y2p733QocieWC0uDE_FFBOc-HgCRaJCYHMmEJcnYTOq8iOZQIcpTQNHcetG6YKyYCxU0viIrtE T8WmVzY5-_lHkVzakaQoBTSuUNq4_uQ9Mchc/IMG_0345.JPG?psid=1

Packaging is amazing. It's by far the best of any CD I own. Nice job Trent/NIN!

carpenoctem
09-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Various Methods has the best chorus Trent's ever written. Just saying. These choruses are actually all over the place amazing. Everything's is incredible and takes the song to a totally different place.

Prettybrokenspiral
09-11-2013, 07:13 PM
It's such an odd thing for people to harp on TR for his lyrics as though they've degraded in quality over time...
His first fucking album has a line that goes "Now I'm slipping on the tears you've made me cry"

That's poetry though.

He's cried himself rivers around his feet over her, and can't even move without being fucked up over her memory.

Much more thought-provoking than "There is a game I play - try to make myself okay - tried so hard to make the pieces all fit - smash it apart just for the fuck of it - bye bye (oooooooooh)"

pigpen
09-11-2013, 08:28 PM
That's poetry though.

He's cried himself rivers around his feet over her, and can't even move without being fucked up over her memory.

Much more thought-provoking than "There is a game I play - try to make myself okay - tried so hard to make the pieces all fit - smash it apart just for the fuck of it - bye bye (oooooooooh)"

I don't know about that one.. I honestly don't think I've heard a cheesier line than the one I mentioned.

Prettybrokenspiral
09-11-2013, 08:55 PM
I was just busting balls. It's pretty bad, yea :eek:

nowimnothing
09-11-2013, 09:52 PM

I totally disagree with your opinion, but that is perfectly fine. I think the points you have made are fair. But I fail to see why your post was facepalmed by several people. What, so if your opinion doesn't fit in with the general consensus on ETS, you get facepalmed??

pigpen
09-11-2013, 09:54 PM
I was just busting balls. It's pretty bad, yea :eek:
I actually really love singing that line when I'm listening to PHM, it's just cheesy and lame and it brings a huge smile
to my face when I sing it. I know that's kind of shitty, since I'm sure it was written with some element of honesty..

But c'mon!!!

m15a
09-11-2013, 10:07 PM
I totally disagree with your opinion, but that is perfectly fine. I think the points you have made are fair. But I fail to see why your post was facepalmed by several people. What, so if your opinion doesn't fit in with the general consensus on ETS, you get facepalmed??

i'm guessing that part of the reason that post was facepalmed is that the poster said they wished the album was never released just because they didn't like it.

ech101
09-12-2013, 01:48 AM
:)nice:rolleyes:

zsorzs
09-12-2013, 08:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrO4y6JYLCo

I found a few demos of Hesitation Marks and an Autolux remix in this youtube chanel

(sorry if its been posted)

http://www.youtube.com/user/SolitaryCuspidor/videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/SolitaryCuspidor/videos)

_minus
09-12-2013, 08:52 AM

I found a few demos of Hesitation Marks and an Autolux remix in this youtube chanel

http://www.youtube.com/user/SolitaryCuspidor/videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/SolitaryCuspidor/videos)

Those demos are from the iTunes Deluxe Edition "In Conversation With...". The person who uploaded those videos is on ETS actually (in short, yes they've been posted).

snaapz
09-12-2013, 08:59 AM
So, I'm not the most clever when it comes to understanding lyrics.

The song 'In Two' - Is this about TR and a battle with something like a split personality disorder or a battle between being good & wanting to be bad?

Phrases like....

Leave Them behind You are free Take What you want What you deserve

Is this his inner self saying this? Inner demon? Or a real person/media?

thatguymark
09-12-2013, 10:20 AM
It's really up to the listener's interpretation. It could be as simple as a conflict with another person, but to me, it's definitely about struggling against the darkness within oneself. I don't think it's anything as literal or clinical as a split personality disorder - more overcoming the compulsion to act in a way that is ultimately harmful to oneself and others. And, how it can be difficult to make that choice. "It's getting hard to tell the two of you [the angel and devil on your shoulders] apart." It's almost certainly also about Trent's specific struggle against addiction.

In the first verse, with all that stuff about purging what you were, the light seems to win. But in the second verse, "Become your disease," the darkness seems to take over again. And the song ends it confusion, as this endless struggle continues. "I just don't know anymore."

littlemonkey613
09-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Oops time to buy the album. Jesus Im such an ass hole

Bad Wolf
09-13-2013, 07:55 PM
I do wish there was a bit more feeling behind the Various Methods chorus. I would have liked to have heard a bit more force in the 'let me get away' line. It's kind of there at the end. One of my favorites though.

When I listen to In Two I get the idea of transforming into the thing you hate.

jesus
09-13-2013, 08:16 PM
My copy get to me tomorrow, I was expecting to received it late because I live in Honduras, but damn I cant wait now

EndlessLoveless
09-14-2013, 07:52 AM
I do wish there was a bit more feeling behind the Various Methods chorus. I would have liked to have heard a bit more force in the 'let me get away' line. It's kind of there at the end. One of my favorites though.

When I listen to In Two I get the idea of transforming into the thing you hate.

Holy fuck i think that 'various methods...', the chorus in general, has THE most feeling on the album. Such pain in his voice and his choice of lyrics and lyrical delivery. This is one of the two or three times, first listening to the album, that i was literally emotionally moved. But that may be because i think i know what he is talking about, and i can relate and connect STRONGLY to that struggle. One of my favorites as well though.

DaNiN
09-14-2013, 09:06 AM
i know Trent's lyrics are simple but at least they are sincere,i don't mind any of it..

would you rather him write something like "yesterday i woke up sucking a lemon" ?

On Topic : Hesitaion Marks knocked me out . Didn't expect this all all !! I don't know how Trent will top this! I just wish i had a chance to see them live,i'm in the middle east damn it and never seen NIN live .

thefragile_jake
09-14-2013, 10:07 AM
I need to revisit this record again. I have a tendency to get super obsessed about one thing in particular and that's all I focus my free energy on. For basically the end of July through the time Hesitation Marks was released last week, all I did was listen to Nine Inch Nails and the HM tracks in particular. I listen to a lot of music and LOVE to download new stuff constantly to hear something new all the time but man...I was SO into HM these past couple of weeks.

I'm going to have to come back to this album again today at some point.

Even after it's release and having sat on it for a bit, I still think it's still in my top five position right underneath The Fragile and The Downward Spiral.

echoespaul
09-14-2013, 02:13 PM
One day Trent will release the data file for Find My Way and we'll find another song on the lowest volume layer. I swear even if I concentrate very hard I still can't get to the bottom of the layers at the end. There are about eight. I hear a completely different piano. Almost like a "Something I can never have" sound. God I love this album. Every listen I hear new things. Close your eyes when you listen.

nineismine
09-14-2013, 05:45 PM

The points he made were fair? He dislikes the album because of the poor lyrical content and then Eater of dreams as one of the 2 songs that are good?

Mr.Benjamin
09-14-2013, 07:50 PM
I'm starting to believe that the revised beat of 'Sanctified' is that of the beat coming from the song 'Running'.

jesus
09-15-2013, 01:30 AM
So I finally have my own copy, Im from Honduras so I was expecting to arrive late
http://i39.tinypic.com/6h2g0j.jpg

The slipcase was hatefull , but the book is amazing

littlemonkey613
09-15-2013, 03:07 AM
One day Trent will release the data file for Find My Way and we'll find another song on the lowest volume layer. I swear even if I concentrate very hard I still can't get to the bottom of the layers at the end. There are about eight. I hear a completely different piano. Almost like a "Something I can never have" sound. God I love this album. Every listen I hear new things. Close your eyes when you listen.

Omg I feel you so hard. When the piano hits the higher octave. When there's a brass instrument or something (sax or some shit)? That tiny little riff it does a few times..

The end of Find My Way is probably my favorite of his layering work. Period.

Crazy track. It's rare I'll get so jazzed over minute details in production, but the reverb/effects on the piano in the chorus/ that guitar with its simple chords/ tone. *dead.

nowimnothing
09-15-2013, 06:14 AM
The points he made were fair? He dislikes the album because of the poor lyrical content and then Eater of dreams as one of the 2 songs that are good?

Like I said, I disagreed with his opinion, but yes, his points were, fair, because they are his own. TR is not well known for his lyrical excellence, and Eater of Dreams is a good track. Opinion is subjective, and just because people disagree en masse doesn't mean his opinions are less valid than your own.

Emil Dorbell
09-15-2013, 06:32 AM
Can anybody explain to me why I ALWAYS expect to hear Big Man With A Gun when Came Back Haunted ends on this album!?

Prettybrokenspiral
09-15-2013, 06:47 AM
Find My Way...fuck, this song is great. It sounds better every time I hear it. Nobody can do simplicity with a piano line like TR can.

dominik
09-15-2013, 07:36 AM

woah, this is really good.

eversonpoe
09-15-2013, 11:21 AM
i had "running" stuck in my head this morning, but my brain replaced trent's singing with something like mariqueen's voice, and i liked the song even more.

Ryan
09-16-2013, 01:31 AM
My aussie version is now with its nin.com family (the vinyl appears to be without any damage despite being loosely packaged and arrived from over in the states).

Now the question is, do I unwrap them or not?

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/7397/7g1w.jpg

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/4756/ayip.jpg

barkhammer
09-16-2013, 02:08 AM
My aussie version is now with its nin.com family (the vinyl appears to be without any damage despite being loosely packaged and arrived from over in the states).

Did you order vinyl and/or CD from nin.com? Interested as mine hasn't arrived yet (in Melbourne).

Ryan
09-16-2013, 02:12 AM
Did you order vinyl and/or CD from nin.com? Interested as mine hasn't arrived yet (in Melbourne).

Ordered all 3 from nin.com and it just arrived today (Monday, Sep 16).

echoespaul
09-16-2013, 03:55 AM
It's really up to the listener's interpretation. It could be as simple as a conflict with another person, but to me, it's definitely about struggling against the darkness within oneself.

For me it's about the journey of recovery and the various stages of that journey. If I were a shrink and Hesitation Marks came and sat on my couch and I were to describe each track with one word i'd go for in album order: 1. Chaos, 2. Repetition, 3. Incident, 4. Recovery, 5. Belief, 6. Relapse, 7. Denial, 8. Anxiety, 9. Reflection, 10. Temptation, 11. Frustration, 12. Progress, 13. Survival, 14. Past - And if it is indeed about all that then I think it's a very personal piece of work, as if he's written an autobiography but in music form.

butter_hole
09-16-2013, 04:02 AM
from the NPR interview:

There's a sort of a creaky, percussive sound on the song "Find My Way." What is that?

"We put a mic up in a room and had a bunch of just junk around — slats of wood, miscellaneous percussion pieces, a table. We just started banging on things, recording everything and extracting them and treating them. And we stumbled into certain things that work in that context."

I just love that sound so much. What were you trying to get out of it?

"Well, we were trying to make it feel like it wasn't coming from the same place as the loop around it. What's around it is all electronic drums, processed and delayed. They feel very direct; there's a nice, fundamental low end and warmth to it. We wanted something that felt much more live sitting on top — not in a way that fights it, but that makes the track come alive.

Is it just me or are there no "real" drums in that song at all?

EndlessLoveless
09-16-2013, 08:28 AM
from the NPR interview:

Is it just me or are there no "real" drums in that song at all?

No "real" drums, but there is prob some weird shit being banged on, that was then sampled and edited, or whatever.

Fred
09-16-2013, 08:55 AM

I'm gonna go Zen on your ass here: if great music is never experienced, does it truly exist?

Okay, that was pretty shitty, but still. Clearly Reznor, Mills and Sheridan decided an immersive product you're meant to really soak in. Not one that should stand or hang around with shrink wrap on. Of course, if this was a shrink-wrapped TF vinyl, it'd be a different story...

Big man with a gun
09-16-2013, 12:10 PM
So I finally have my own copy, Im from Honduras so I was expecting to arrive late
http://i39.tinypic.com/6h2g0j.jpg

The slipcase was hatefull , but the book is amazing

I quite like the slipcase with the quadriptych. Nice that each version got different artwork.

If you think it's hateful, you should see the standard edition of Depeche Mode's Delta Machine.

Now THAT's awful. like something given away free with a newspaper.

jesus
09-16-2013, 12:52 PM
If you think it's hateful, you should see the standard edition of Depeche Mode's Delta Machine.

Now THAT's awful. like something given away free with a newspaper.

LOL you're right, and I put the cd's in a transparent cd case to avoid damage

tony.parente
09-16-2013, 12:58 PM
LOL you're right, and I put the cd's in a transparent cd case to avoid damage

Thats funny because I was looking at my deluxe edition and raging hard at those stupid slipcases on it.
I thought to myself...what would jesus do?

Nice that I have my answer. :rolleyes:

jesus
09-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Thats funny because I was looking at my deluxe edition and raging hard at those stupid slipcases on it.
I thought to myself...what would jesus do?

Nice that I have my answer. :rolleyes:
God bless you, son ;)... and yep, take out The Fragile booklet of that awkward slip thing, it can ruin the digipack

m15a
09-16-2013, 01:26 PM
i kind of like how the CDs seem sort of like an afterthought in the deluxe edition. although i can understand why people that actually play their CDs might have a different opinion.

on that topic, is there a name for the format used for the deluxe edition packaging? (like the way digipaks are called digipaks.) or is there a particular company that makes that format of packaging, maybe for self-publshing? i'm not looking to print any (since i don't expect anyone to actually buy my music), but i just like thinking about packaging sometimes . . .

Microwave Jellyfish
09-16-2013, 01:45 PM
I think it's usually referred to as a digibook.

ManOfAtom
09-16-2013, 01:45 PM
It's a bit like what I've seen called 'Mediabooks', but they tend to have plastic trays glued into the covers rather than those slip in things.

Edit, ah digibook. Yeah, that might be a better term for what I've described, mediabook for what this is? One of them anyway.

EndlessLoveless
09-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Because of ruining the cd with the slipcase (deluxe version), i will never take it out. The vinyl version came with the cd and that is my cd used in rotation. Then the audiophile came out....

konkelo
09-16-2013, 03:36 PM
So has everyone else (except me) received their NIN.com orders? I got shipping notification two weeks ago and still haven't got it. I'm getting really pissed with the local post service if they fuck this one. They already fucked up 2 packages coming to me and one shipping that I sent to holland.

hani
09-16-2013, 05:20 PM
luckily I got my Deluxe copy I preordered from NIN.com

the booklet is fucked up, they glued it the wrong way and some pages are a bit askew, but what the hell

jesus
09-16-2013, 05:33 PM
All Time Low is the best remix in the bonus disc, really good... then with the "While Im Still Here" remix is interesting the conection with "The Downward Spiral"(album) more exactly with "I Do Not Want This", the initial dialog a woman says "a need to be everywhere and know everything"

Shadaloo
09-16-2013, 06:08 PM
I kind of really miss the prevalence of jewel cases. I don't know what it is (apart from going green, I suppose), but the Pumpkins, DM, Manson, Fear Factory...almost every band I listen to these days does thin slipcases or digibooks. Outside of singles though I don't think NIN's done one since FDTS.

butter_hole
09-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Album would have gotten to #1 if they had delayed the release a week!

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi

(okay i'll stop talking about sales figures now)

piggy
09-16-2013, 08:01 PM
It's a bit like what I've seen called 'Mediabooks', but they tend to have plastic trays glued into the covers rather than those slip in things.

Edit, ah digibook. Yeah, that might be a better term for what I've described, mediabook for what this is? One of them anyway.
I'm a packaging nerd, so I can tell you that the most correct term for the packaging of the Deluxe HM is an ecolbook. A digibook is generally used for deluxe packaging for DVDs and Blu-rays and it's shaped the same as the normal cases for those media. Sometimes the two terms are used interchangeably, but those are the differences.

Ryan
09-17-2013, 01:23 AM
I'm gonna go Zen on your ass here: if great music is never experienced, does it truly exist?

Okay, that was pretty shitty, but still. Clearly Reznor, Mills and Sheridan decided an immersive product you're meant to really soak in. Not one that should stand or hang around with shrink wrap on. Of course, if this was a shrink-wrapped TF vinyl, it'd be a different story...

Good point, I will open.

Tyson
09-17-2013, 02:12 AM
Outside of singles though I don't think NIN's done one since FDTS.

Things Falling Apart.

thepresence0
09-17-2013, 03:33 AM
Thought it would be cool to share this:

http://i40.tinypic.com/nga7mq.png

jmtd
09-17-2013, 03:34 AM
I kind of really miss the prevalence of jewel cases. I don't know what it is (apart from going green, I suppose), but the Pumpkins, DM, Manson, Fear Factory...almost every band I listen to these days does thin slipcases or digibooks. Outside of singles though I don't think NIN's done one since FDTS.

I don't miss them. They're the most fragile media cases ever. Lp covers last better. DVD covers last better. Digipacks last and look better.

The last NIN release in a jewel was with teeth European tour edition in 2005

Edit: remove goddamn tapatalk bullshit

Kamelion
09-17-2013, 06:50 AM
My Japanese version of HM arrived today! I always love looking at the stuff that comes with it - a little sleeve with album, band and song titles to slip over the cover; a booklet with lyrics in English and Japanese as well as four pages of Japanese text talking about the band (although, what it says I have no idea - my Japanese doesn't stretch that far). Oh, and the Everything remix, which I haven't heard yet :).

BenAkenobi
09-17-2013, 07:04 AM
message to my deluxe cd: would you kindly hurry up a little?! of course, 2 weeks isn't anything big but i've had stuff arriving from UK sooner than that. </vent>

thetourist
09-17-2013, 08:14 AM
Hesitation Marks entered last week on #5 in german charts.

Fred
09-17-2013, 08:18 AM
The physical release is #9 on the Danish charts. Which is kind of a surprise; I wasn't expecting it to chart. On the download charts, it's #10.

Big man with a gun
09-17-2013, 10:23 AM
ok I'm an idiot. I thought the slipcase that a poster said was 'hateful' was the standard edition jewel case which is nice. I thought he meant the lack of lyrics and sparser artwork. But now I know what he meant,he's right-the slipcase on the DELUXE edition IS hateful.

The standard edition of the album, while fairly sparse DESTROYS the standard edition of Depeche Mode's Delta Machine though.

piggy
09-17-2013, 04:11 PM
I've had experience for a few years now with ecolbooks like the Deluxe HM and I have a tip that might help with the tight sleeves that hold the discs. Maybe you guys already do this and I'll feel stupid for posting it, but a good way to help minimize the scuffing is to grab the very edge of the disc and sort of rotate it as you're sliding it in or out (turn it a little and grab a new spot on the disc, repeat until it's out). It rotates better coming out than going in, but it still helps. I believe this technique puts the majority of the friction on the edge of the disc rather than the main data area. It's kind of hard to describe without actually showing you in person, but give it a try and I think you'll see what I mean.

seasonsinthesky
09-17-2013, 04:16 PM
got my copy of HM on wax in the mail today (i'm on the Canadian east coast — took long enough...). i have a couple of minor scuffings on the disc surface, one on each disc; everything else was in awesome condition without breakage or shipping damage. mint!

konkelo
09-18-2013, 10:14 AM
It supposedly arrived yesterday! Too bad that I'm not gonna get it from mail until friday.

dlb
09-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Even after three weeks in two probably remains as one of the greatest things TR has done since the fragile! :)

snaapz
09-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Wonder if we will see a 2nd single. I hate how radio stations stick to singles....

I'm still absorbing this album. As my previous posts indicate, HM isn't top on my NIN list... but I do really like this album... I wish there was more use of live perc. BUT as a follow up to Le' Slip it's a nice change up.

Seems to be alternating lately...

W_T - Majority is live perc
Y_Z -Mainly synth perc
The Slip - Mainly live perc
Hesitation Marks - Mainly synth perc

'While I'm Still Here' shows up in my head randomly, it's a great track. I love the arp in 'Copy of A' and that crazy guitar slide/bending starting at 1:56 is fucking awesome. I also like the guitar in the background shifting up and down.

'I Would For You' is interesting. That rolling beat that starts off the song and that low chunky synth bass line... backed up by a shifting/stereo HH. I'd like to hear this live... I hope TR chooses to stick a bass guitar in Joshs hands for the chorus. The chorus is solid. Respect! Same with 'Find My Way'.

'All Time Low' is fun to jam along with on bass guit...

Fist Fuck
09-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Whenever the album is finished, Copy Of A (from the live rehearsals) starts on my playlist, so it creates this loop and I'm already condictioned to hearing that song after the last one and it makes me wanna listen to the whole thing again. It's that good.

peasha
09-19-2013, 05:24 AM
Russia.
http://cs302102.vk.me/v302102544/3f93/by17ZU3LM2E.jpg

Fred
09-19-2013, 06:31 AM
The Slip - Mainly live perc

Do you have a source? The Slip sounded very drum machine-heavy to me.

I know Josh is credited for "performance", but so is Alessandro, and he has since stated that he doesn't actually play on it.

eversonpoe
09-19-2013, 08:41 AM
Do you have a source? The Slip sounded very drum machine-heavy to me.

I know Josh is credited for "performance", but so is Alessandro, and he has since stated that he doesn't actually play on it.

a lot of the drums on the slip are "machines" but there's also plenty of live drumming. most of it has a bit of distortion and other processing on it, so it sounds a little less "organic."

seasonsinthesky
09-19-2013, 10:35 AM
a lot of the drums on the slip are "machines" but there's also plenty of live drumming. most of it has a bit of distortion and other processing on it, so it sounds a little less "organic."

the only songs that even sound like real drums are "1,000,000" and "Head Down." everything else is pretty obviously programmed (or the performances were played on an e-kit rather than microphones on a real kit). there aren't any effects that turn a real, live drum kit into the drum sound on "Letting You," "Discipline," "Echoplex," "The Four of Us are Dying" or "Demon Seed," unless you count drum replacement as an effect (more below).

i also think the drums in "1,000,000" sound programmed, but use samples that were recorded at TR's studio. if you listen to the drum track in the multitracks, every snare and kick hit are exactly alike, with no deviation on the velocity or area of the drum hit. there is no amount of compression in the universe that will make a real drum performance sound like that unless a) it was MIDI to begin with, performed by a real person on an e-kit, and the velocities were adjusted after the fact; or b) the snare and kick were replaced by trigger software with samples (very common on every rock album now).

ComradeCornhole
09-19-2013, 11:42 AM
the only songs that even sound like real drums are "1,000,000" and "Head Down." everything else is pretty obviously programmed (or the performances were played on an e-kit rather than microphones on a real kit). there aren't any effects that turn a real, live drum kit into the drum sound on "Letting You," "Discipline," "Echoplex," "The Four of Us are Dying" or "Demon Seed," unless you count drum replacement as an effect (more below).

i also think the drums in "1,000,000" sound programmed, but use samples that were recorded at TR's studio. if you listen to the drum track in the multitracks, every snare and kick hit are exactly alike, with no deviation on the velocity or area of the drum hit. there is no amount of compression in the universe that will make a real drum performance sound like that unless a) it was MIDI to begin with, performed by a real person on an e-kit, and the velocities were adjusted after the fact; or b) the snare and kick were replaced by trigger software with samples (very common on every rock album now).

Hmm... I always thought the drums on "Discipline" sounded the most like a real, mic'd kit.

screwdriver
09-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Hmm... I always thought the drums on "Discipline" sounded the most like a real, mic'd kit.

agreed, though it's pretty clearly programmed or sample replaced

Fred
09-19-2013, 01:34 PM
Yeah, I'm still not hearing any live drumming on The Slip at all. Like @seasonsinthesky (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=485) said, every single hit sounds alike. I know Josh Freese is supposed to be a robot, but still.

As for the more "organic" sound, Trent does mention on the "In Conversation With..."-track on HM Deluxe that everything on The Slip is miked as opposed to direct injected. This probably accounts for some of the live-like sound. And it's an interesting fact about the album - makes me appreciate it even more.

snaapz
09-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Well, maybe I should have said "for many of the tracks on The Slip, he used samples that resemble a live kit more than computer generated". Josh does get credits on the studio album too.

'The 4 of us are dying' & 'Echoplex' are obviously not live kits... but I think the other tracks that used perc have a live kit sound. The HHO/HHC/Crash/Snare/BD all sound live to me. The symbols/high hats have a more metallic sound while the skins are poppy, ringy and have that chain (snare) sound. Also I find that with The Slip the high hats are pretty evenly distributed between the left and right channel and maintain their sound.

As for HM...

With some tracks on Hesitation Marks the high hats channel, velocity and key seems to vary at times... which I am a fan of. The opening of 'I Would For You' is a good example. On some tracks multiple "HH's" are used at once. See 1:36 'Copy of A'... then at 1:56 it's one HH but long/short/long/short. The closed HH during the later part of 'Satellite' shits key... see 2:59. Then there's that Tssssss high hat during the chorus of 'Came Back Haunted' I love all that variety. I won't get into the skins.

You just don't get perc quite that dynamic with The Slip. Mind you, the change up at 3:13 of 'Head Down' still messes with my head and 'Demon Seed' is one of my all time favs... i think it starts off with both live & synth perc.

So yes I like the sound of live kits, but when TR goes digital my ears are in for variety and the unexpected. The amount of time & technique TR spends on perc is overlooked by many. (Not us here at ETS of course)

butter_hole
09-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Discipline used Addictive Drums http://www.xlnaudio.com/productline/1

snaapz
09-19-2013, 06:56 PM
Discipline used Addictive Drums http://www.xlnaudio.com/productline/1

That's a sick program!

The video says "professionally sampled drums and symbols from top brands around the world".

So, live or not live? :confused:

butter_hole
09-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Live samples, then sequenced. They're not a real performance, put it that way.

Copy of A
09-19-2013, 08:54 PM
This album sucks. Bunch of bloops and pitter patter. Fail!

screwdriver
09-19-2013, 09:20 PM
after weeks of no free time -- finally got my dream of listening to this album on my rooftop while under a particular influence for the first time in awhile. jesus christ. i loved this album already, but fucking hell. WISH has so many layers happening its insane. The intro bass on All Time Low is fucking fantastic. This makes me wanna cry -- and run into my studio and try in vain to match this.

fucking beautiful work.

<shameless selfsie of me listening>

http://s23.postimg.org/n2nyjbvkr/600612_10102255944456029_633321928_n.jpg

steelnails95
09-19-2013, 10:20 PM
Album would have gotten to #1 if they had delayed the release a week!

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi

(okay i'll stop talking about sales figures now) I only like two albums on this list.
:(

captainbeyond
09-19-2013, 11:01 PM
Not to keep going further off-topic from HM, but I always assumed the drums in "1,000,000" were played live but the snare sounds like it has a trigger on it.

butter_hole
09-20-2013, 06:39 AM
http://s23.postimg.org/n2nyjbvkr/600612_10102255944456029_633321928_n.jpg
can i make this my avatar

Fred
09-20-2013, 06:54 AM
Live samples, then sequenced. They're not a real performance, put it that way.

And I'm going to maintain that's likely the case for every song on the album. Josh may have contributed with some one-shot samples, but that's probably it. I hear programming that has been miked for a less artificial sound, though some of the drum patterns (Letting You) still reveal their origins.

Dr.Z
09-20-2013, 07:08 AM
And I'm going to maintain that's likely the case for every song on the album. Josh may have contributed with some one-shot samples, but that's probably it. I hear programming that has been miked for a less artificial sound, though some of the drum patterns (Letting You) still reveal their origins.

Josh is drumming only on Demon Seed. I think it was a live take on top of the programmed beat, slightly chopped, but mostly retaining the "live drumming" feel. The rest of the album is totally programmed sound libraries (of live drums and synthetic sounds)

fillow
09-20-2013, 07:26 AM
No one is drumming on Demon Seed since no one did on Ghosts 38.

This reminds me, does anyone have a clip of Ilan drumming Demon Seed in an interview video, which surfaced prior to Soundwave '09 shows? All the old links are seem to be dead.

Maurish
09-20-2013, 07:41 AM
This reminds me, does anyone have a clip of Ilan drumming Demon Seed in an interview video, which surfaced prior to Soundwave '09 shows? All the old links are seem to be dead.
Drumchannel seems to have put the video behind a pay wall on their site.
Here's a small teaser for it, featuring few seconds of Demon Seed at the end.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9oq0x_on-the-road-with-ilan-rubin-of-nin_music

Dr.Z
09-20-2013, 07:53 AM
No one is drumming on Demon Seed since no one did on Ghosts 38.
You're completely right! I thought that Ghosts 38 only had the electronic beat and assumed that the "extra" live drum sound I heard on Demon Seed was Josh Freese. In comparsion, Demon Seed has only got a bit more reverb on the live drums.

Findus
09-20-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm a bit curious as to what the source of the chanting is in Find My Way. Sounds Native American. The other repeating sound reminds me of a distant train whistle in the middle of the night.

wight rabbit
09-20-2013, 03:01 PM
I'm pretty sure all of the "live" drums on The Slip were done using Addictive Drums. I say this because I went out and purchased it after finding out that it was used on "Discipline" and liked the sound. Having used the program for many years now, I know it's capable of far more than how it appears to be used on that album (for an example of this, go to Artistic Expression and click on my thread, then listen to the track I linked to; that's not meant to be a plug either, I really don't care much for that song anymore). If you download the demo of Addictive Drums, the default kit they allow you to use is all you need to make a perfect re-creation of "Discipline." I'm sure you could do the same with the other tracks with "live" drums, as well, because they don't sound very modified. I'm not saying this to knock the software, I just think Trent and Co. could have done far better at masking it.

butter_hole
09-21-2013, 01:12 AM
I'm a bit curious as to what the source of the chanting is in Find My Way. Sounds Native American. The other repeating sound reminds me of a distant train whistle in the middle of the night.
I'd say most of it is Trent? The stuff at the beginning definitely is.

Fred
09-21-2013, 01:33 AM
You're completely right! I thought that Ghosts 38 only had the electronic beat and assumed that the "extra" live drum sound I heard on Demon Seed was Josh Freese. In comparsion, Demon Seed has only got a bit more reverb on the live drums.

And to add to that (and repeat myself), the roomier sound is probably a result of the loop being miked to give it a more organic sound. I think it's a shame Trent has only shared this nugget with us now. In a way, I think this makes The Slip pretty innovative; an electronic, mostly programmed (probably), album that sounds very "live". Apparently to the point where a lot of listeners have trouble determining whether a sound is acoustic or electronic.

In a way, it's a missing link between the more raw, honest rock of With Teeth and the all-out glitch-electronica on Year Zero. Combine that idea with the business side and you've possibly got the most innovative Nine Inch Nails release of all time. That's not to say the music itself is innovative, but the execution of it sure is.

I liked The Slip to begin with, but knowing this has made me appreciate it on a whole other level. I still find Hesitation Marks to be a better album, though.

Fangster_
09-21-2013, 05:54 AM
Probably mentioned to death, but I'm pretty bummed with the amount of messed up and lacking lyrics in the deluxe booklet. Like they didn't even bother. Also the second disc could at least include the little self-conversation + demos, these remixes aren't doing anything for me. And there are only three. BOO-HOO NAWT DELUXX ENUFF.

Album's the sex though. It's just so good as a whole.

BenAkenobi
09-21-2013, 06:10 AM
i still think we were cheated because conversation was actually part of deluxe edition when album was announced and later it was moved to itunes only. bonus cd had the potential of being so much more than 3 remixes - they all fit on first cd anyway. bummer, bummer...

jesus
09-21-2013, 11:14 AM
I'm pretty bummed with the amount of messed up and lacking lyrics in the deluxe booklet.
All the lyrics are included in my deluxe copy

Halo Infinity
09-21-2013, 11:35 AM
I still don't get why they didn't put the lyrics with the regular CD. I obviously get not putting the same amount of tracks and discs though. It sort of felt like getting With Teeth, but with a booklet that had no lyrics. :p

And knowing myself, I would actually get around getting the deluxe version anyway, since I don't mind collecting different version's of NIN releases, so it's not like I'm really complaining here.

jesus
09-21-2013, 11:46 AM
LOL the par about getting with teeth with booklet but without lyrics are my exact thoughts, I bought the deluxe is a lot better in every aspect.... but the ruin - slip cd I hate those things

Kyle
09-21-2013, 12:08 PM
All the lyrics are included in my deluxe copy
I think he means the way some lyrics are different or changed which is par for the course for NIN. It's been on every album because he includes the lyrics he writes which sometimes change by the time he sings them. I like it because it can sometimes give you some more insight into the song.

There's no excuse though for the extra apostrophes in Came Back Haunted. :)

jesus
09-21-2013, 03:09 PM
I think he means the way some lyrics are different or changed which is par for the course for NIN. It's been on every album because he includes the lyrics he writes which sometimes change by the time he sings them. I like it because it can sometimes give you some more insight into the song.

There's no excuse though for the extra apostrophes in Came Back Haunted. :)
But the different lyrics are really cool! Who the hell would complain about something that begun in Pretty Hate Machine and as you say give insight into the song, well some people , :)

eversonpoe
09-21-2013, 04:33 PM
i still think we were cheated because conversation was actually part of deluxe edition when album was announced and later it was moved to itunes only. bonus cd had the potential of being so much more than 3 remixes - they all fit on first cd anyway. bummer, bummer...

i don't think it was ever meant to be included on the deluxe CD. i think it was always exclusive to the iTunes deluxe edition. which sucks.

Kyle
09-21-2013, 04:52 PM
No from the very first announcement, the in conversation with was iTunes exclusive. I know thy for certain because I remember thinking it was stupid but didn't really care because I thought it would only be an interview. Other people misread the original announcement but that's not Trent's fault.

Copy of A
09-21-2013, 06:29 PM
New music is complete shite

binaryhermit
09-21-2013, 06:34 PM
...says someone whose username is a song off the new album that said user thinks is bad.

fillow
09-21-2013, 06:58 PM
this is clearly a troll with nothing better to do. just look at his posts history.

sheepdean
09-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Just, all new music. Music cannot be enjoyed until it is aged, like Stilton cheese or Scotch

Copy of A
09-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Copy of a is the worst song ever

Mr.Benjamin
09-21-2013, 08:43 PM

It has better hooks than the latter part of the album I think

GibbonBlack
09-21-2013, 08:47 PM

Here, have some attention.

Copy of A
09-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Satellite is a DMB rip off

TheBang
09-21-2013, 09:48 PM
http://i.imgur.com/hlCZpDm.jpg

pigpen
09-22-2013, 12:29 AM
Satellite is a DMB rip off

You know, that's what I thought too. Satellite DOES sound a lot like Dave Matthews Band, which is what I assume DMB stands for?

Alittlenow, BABAAYYYY!!!

Fred
09-22-2013, 12:34 AM

They should've saved the remixes for a proper remix album instead of wasting an entire CD on three of them; those four remixes are the most interesting NIN remixes in ages. I'd like to hear more.

ataxia
09-22-2013, 11:45 PM
posting a month post-leak to confirm that this album still owns

brokenfragility
09-24-2013, 10:45 AM
So after spinning this thing for a month straight, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it is my favorite NIN album. Not "the best" because the innovation and things TDS did for the music industry will of course never be touched by HM, but my personal favorite at this time in my life. I've had trouble relating to the older NIN material in the past few years, but HM is so grown up with such mature themes that I relate to intensely right now. Musically its exactly what I was hoping it would be and the last half of the album is fucking brutally good.

Bravo TR.

Lastentrance
09-25-2013, 08:43 AM
And to add to that (and repeat myself), the roomier sound is probably a result of the loop being miked to give it a more organic sound. I think it's a shame Trent has only shared this nugget with us now. In a way, I think this makes The Slip pretty innovative; an electronic, mostly programmed (probably), album that sounds very "live". Apparently to the point where a lot of listeners have trouble determining whether a sound is acoustic or electronic.

In a way, it's a missing link between the more raw, honest rock of With Teeth and the all-out glitch-electronica on Year Zero. Combine that idea with the business side and you've possibly got the most innovative Nine Inch Nails release of all time. That's not to say the music itself is innovative, but the execution of it sure is.

I liked The Slip to begin with, but knowing this has made me appreciate it on a whole other level. I still find Hesitation Marks to be a better album, though.

Trent has done this a lot though. You'd never think Just Like You Imagined wasn't a live kit. I'm sure I read in an interview somewhere that MOTP and Eraser were programmed too.

baudolino
09-25-2013, 08:47 AM
posting a month post-leak to confirm that this album still owns

right. everytime my playlist randomly hits a song of HM i can't resist listening to the whole album. insane.

Kyle
09-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Trent has done this a lot though. You'd never think Just Like You Imagined wasn't a live kit. I'm sure I read in an interview somewhere that MOTP and Eraser were programmed too.
MOTP and Eraser were definitely not live drums. The only song Trent has played live drums on is Piggy so if the album has individual credits and a song does not say "live drums by," they're not real drums.

seasonsinthesky
09-25-2013, 11:09 AM
MOTP and Eraser were definitely not live drums. The only song Trent has played live drums on is Piggy so if the album has individual credits and a song does not say "live drums by," they're not real drums.

indeed, the only TDS tracks with actual drums are "I Do Not Want This," "The Downward Spiral" and "Hurt." the first two don't sound much like it, though.

screwdriver
09-25-2013, 11:34 AM
indeed, the only TDS tracks with actual drums are "I Do Not Want This," "The Downward Spiral" and "Hurt." the first two don't sound much like it, though.

we're getting into awfully semantic territory at this point. I Do Not Want This is a cut-up loop of someone playing. I'm not sure I would count that as "real drums" any more than someone assembling mic'd samples, which is a lot of what TR's catalog has been. For TDS, they spend days mic'ing up drums and building sample banks of that, and that's what the drums on that album were. Even IDNWT, you can bet the loop is supplemented with samples.

JLYI is interesting in itself -- the drum sound was an enormous combination creatively mic'd drums (and resonating acoustic guitars!), re-amped, and combined with electronic percussion. It's actual drums but not actual drums at the same time.

m15a
09-25-2013, 03:43 PM
an electronic, mostly programmed (probably), album that sounds very "live". Apparently to the point where a lot of listeners have trouble determining whether a sound is acoustic or electronic.

i think of this ("live"/"not live" ambiguity) as a sort of defining aspect of NIN. not just in terms of drums but overall - audio effect, arrangement, etc. (obviously, there's variation within that ambiguous area.)

NINisamazing
09-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Don't feed the trolls.

NINisamazing
09-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Lol, what if that was trent just fucking with us. Hahaha

nineismine
09-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Over a month since the leak and this is pretty much all I am listening to. I don't have the right words to describe it but to me this is just as good as any of my most revered albums. I love it and it's not getting old. The whole album fucking rocks.

pigpen
09-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Over a month since the leak and this is pretty much all I am listening to. I don't have the right words to describe it but to me this is just as good as any of my most revered albums. I love it and it's not getting old. The whole album fucking rocks.
I'm inclined to agree with you on this, with the exception of Disappointed and Everything. At first I honestly really liked Everything, but I think it's novelty has
worn off and now I kind of just see it as a disruption to the overall flow of HM. And I just can't get behind Disappointed for whatever reason. It feels clunky,
awkward, and kind sort of loose..Like a demo or something, the first half anyway..

Other than that, i'd say HM has held up very well in it's first month.

screwdriver
09-27-2013, 12:29 PM
I'm inclined to agree with you on this, with the exception of Disappointed and Everything. At first I honestly really liked Everything, but I think it's novelty has
worn off and now I kind of just see it as a disruption to the overall flow of HM. And I just can't get behind Disappointed for whatever reason. It feels clunky,
awkward, and kind sort of loose..Like a demo or something, the first half anyway..

I agree 100% re: Everything. it just... doesn't fit? but, as a song itself, I like it, though something about how harsh it is bugs me

Disappointed, I fucking love BUT... something about the way the transition into the first chorus is completely unheralded bugs me. the second chorus, jesus, perfect, but the first chorus... ugh

Ray1971
09-27-2013, 02:23 PM
I am in the same boat as you. I just can't stop listening to Hesitation Marks. It is soooooo great.

nineismine
09-27-2013, 03:09 PM

I LOVE the beat behind Disappointed. LOVE IT. I think the initial verse of singing sounds like a demo. I kind of like it and I want to come up with reasons it is so unrefined but ultimately I think it takes a song that could have been maybe even a hit and makes it unpalatable for the masses.

WorzelG
09-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Various Methods of Escape is currently taking it's turn as my favourite on the album - the bassline is gorgeous. Previously it was Satellite for a while, Disappointed, All Time Low, I Would for You through to Black Noise, Copy of A. Almost the whole album has been up there at some point. Definitely the best NIN album since The Fragile

pigpen
09-28-2013, 07:59 AM
I agree 100% re: Everything. it just... doesn't fit? but, as a song itself, I like it, though something about how harsh it is bugs me

Disappointed, I fucking love BUT... something about the way the transition into the first chorus is completely unheralded bugs me. the second chorus, jesus, perfect, but the first chorus... ugh

I keep hoping I'll come around on dissappointed..and maybe I will at some point.. for right now it's half of the middle of the albums unremarkable middle. Although, seeing things live has changed my opinion before, so hopefully when I see it played live tonight I'll come away with a new appreciation.

binaryhermit
09-28-2013, 08:06 AM
hopefully when I see it played live tonight
I'd say that's more of an "if" you see it played live tonight. At this point, nobody who hasn't been at the rehersals knows what songs (other than All Time Low and Sattelite IIRC) are likely to be played on this tour.

Emil Dorbell
09-28-2013, 02:32 PM
The ending of I Would For You, into In Two, into While I'm Still Here and Black Noise is as of right now the best thing I know of in this world. It's good enough to bring tears to my eyes.

screwdriver
09-28-2013, 02:33 PM
woke up today with Copy of A stuck in my head, and am just blaring it on my stereo. goddamn this track sounds great. the skipping effect on his vocal in the second verse is so damn simple and catchy every time

Halo Infinity
10-01-2013, 08:32 AM
I like to think of Copy Of A as the Head Like A Hole, Down In It, or Only of Hesitation Marks.

fillow
10-01-2013, 09:17 AM
woke up today with Copy of A stuck in my head, and am just blaring it on my stereo. goddamn this track sounds great. the skipping effect on his vocal in the second verse is so damn simple and catchy every time
Actually, that effect annoys me.
I've heard the song live before the studio version, and at the show he sang it normally "Pieceees pieceees; purpooose purpooose". And then I heard studio version and what the hell is this nu-ministry-style copypaste shit?

PS I really like the song, it's just this little thing that I don't

screwdriver
10-01-2013, 09:22 AM
Actually, that effect annoys me.
I've heard the song live before the studio version, and at the show he sang it normally "Pieceees pieceees; purpooose purpooose". And then I heard studio version and what the hell is this nu-ministry-style copypaste shit?

PS I really like the song, it's just this little thing that I don't

bummer -- I feel bad for people who don't enjoy the cool things in life! :-(

Copy of A
10-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Definltly the worst of NIN material

1.3/10

jesus
10-02-2013, 12:22 AM
Definltly the worst of NIN material

1.3/10
Definetly Hesitation Marks is a great work of NIN, compared even to The Fragile, and you , "buddy" are the worst Troll

Khrz
10-02-2013, 01:17 AM
1.3/10

Ahahahahhaha god I love how very specific that is with no argumentation whatsoever. 1.75/25.283 ! Puke !

Akahige
10-02-2013, 01:29 AM
Edit* nevermind

AlanMorlock
10-02-2013, 08:05 AM
I really liked the initial artwork for Hesitation Marks, and really wanted in shirt form. It became apparent this would never happen since NIN's shirts are so weirdly limited in design so I made my own. I'm fairly pleased with how it came out.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1379458_10153292967495416_1297172404_n.jpg

GFGohmann
10-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Yes – I also am still obsessed with HM.

I feel bad for all the other new music that I am giving half a listen-to because of this record.

I find that I listen to it from beginning to end almost every day. Crazy.

Oh, and the shirt above is pretty cool. Nice job.

screwdriver
10-02-2013, 09:33 AM
I really liked the initial artwork for Hesitation Marks, and really wanted in shirt form. It became apparent this would never happen since NIN's shirts are so weirdly limited in design so I made my own. I'm fairly pleased with how it came out.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1379458_10153292967495416_1297172404_n.jpg

um, that is really, really awesome. well done.

Transfixed
10-02-2013, 10:51 AM
I agree with almost everyone here, HM = The Win.
However, Disappointed is an awkward sore spot in the middle, primarily because of that bizarre freakin chorus that just sorta comes out of nowhere with no build-up or artistic flair or creativity, and then his voice sounds like shit on top of it. Perhaps this was intentional, but he sings really awfully on that track. Like when he says "Look at youuuuu Supermaaaaaaan", that "superman" was sung so badly with his voice warbling and nearly cracking - I can't help but think it was intentional and done for his Trenty reasons, but yikes... not a pleasant listen. Then on top of that the ending goes on for too long for no apparent reason. Blech.
The rest of the album though?
36.557/42.181 A-++-+-

screwdriver
10-02-2013, 11:04 AM
I agree with almost everyone here, HM = The Win.
However, Disappointed is an awkward sore spot in the middle, primarily because of that bizarre freakin chorus that just sorta comes out of nowhere with no build-up or artistic flair or creativity, and then his voice sounds like shit on top of it. Perhaps this was intentional, but he sings really awfully on that track. Like when he says "Look at youuuuu Supermaaaaaaan", that "superman" was sung so badly with his voice warbling and nearly cracking - I can't help but think it was intentional and done for his Trenty reasons, but yikes... not a pleasant listen. Then on top of that the ending goes on for too long for no apparent reason. Blech.
The rest of the album though?
36.557/42.181 A-++-+-

I really like how he sings it; it took me awhile to realize it sounded weird because he was doing a very oriental melody on top of it (which then comes in with the exotic instrumentation later). but I totally agree on the chorus coming out of nowhere the first time. it bugs me every time.

Digital Twilight
10-02-2013, 11:14 AM
This album has kept me up waaaay past my bed time on several occasions. I can't seem to pull myself away from it for too long. Even typing this makes me want to blast Copy of A. However I Would For You and Various Methods of Escape don't grab me as much as the rest of the album.

jesus
10-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Im hearing the album, I cant believe is so good, "Running" fits so well

GulDukat
10-03-2013, 04:11 AM
I am in the same boat as you. I just can't stop listening to Hesitation Marks. It is soooooo great.

I've listened to little else since 9/3. The album of the year, no contest--although there were some other great albums--QOTSA, Mark Langegan, AIC, Filter, etc.

Prettybrokenspiral
10-03-2013, 06:05 AM
I've pretty much lost any and all hope in ever enjoying Everything.

I just don't care for it at all. And it pains me because I don't think I've ever said that about a single song he's ever done.

Emil Dorbell
10-03-2013, 06:19 AM
I've pretty much lost any and all hope in ever enjoying Everything.

I just don't care for it at all. And it pains me because I don't think I've ever said that about a single song he's ever done.

I think it's a perfectly bipolar song. You've got the happy verses, and then the evil/addictive split personality of the chorus, and then the denial of the outro. In the context of Hesitation Marks, that is so very much about self doubt and struggling with inner demons, I think lyrically it's a great song. Musically it doesn't quite fit, but that's also somewhat true of Came Back Haunted.

Copy of A
10-03-2013, 07:17 AM
Yeah I'm a pretty shite troll.

this album is great, obviously. Though I must admit, I have been listening to MGMT, Arctic Monkeys, and Janelle Monae's new albums lately, not to mention the new Arcade Fire from the SNL show (amazing material). But yeah, HM is great. Love the rhythmic styling he's acquired over the past few years. Can't wait to be them in Nashville later this month

EndlessLoveless
10-03-2013, 07:18 AM

Holy shit dude, thats awesome. I want to buy one!

Really, I want to buy one! PM me if cool.

eversonpoe
10-03-2013, 09:00 AM

this album is great, obviously. Though I must admit, I have been listening to MGMT, Arctic Monkeys, and Janelle Monae's new albums lately, not to mention the new Arcade Fire from the SNL show (amazing material). But yeah, HM is great. Love the rhythmic styling he's acquired over the past few years. Can't wait to be them in Nashville later this month

this is a first for me. seeing a troll admit to being a troll and then post a true opinion. i feel weird.

can i ask, what was the point of your trolling? i mean...what do you get out of it? why not just join the conversation in a positive way from the get-go and have a good time with everyone instead of trying to piss them off?

jesus
10-04-2013, 12:28 AM
this is a first for me. seeing a troll admit to being a troll and then post a true opinion. i feel weird.

can i ask, what was the point of your trolling? i mean...what do you get out of it? why not just join the conversation in a positive way from the get-go and have a good time with everyone instead of trying to piss them off?
lol your post almost made cry, I think he's still trolling [on the inside] and he always will

Copy of A
10-05-2013, 10:29 AM
lol your post almost made cry, I think he's still trolling [on the inside] and he always will
This coming from Jesus, the worlds largest and most well-known troll :rolleyes:

Copy of A
10-05-2013, 10:30 AM

Sometimes it's fun to be an idiot..... But only for the idiot

thefragile_jake
10-05-2013, 11:30 AM

Love the shirt! I feel like I saw you in line for the St. Louis show?

AlanMorlock
10-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Yep that was me.

pigpen
10-05-2013, 09:08 PM
So, I've left Hesitation Marks alone since I saw Nine Inch Nails in St.Paul. I felt like I was on the verge of an overload and really wanted to
listen to some things that had been kind of overshadowed by the release of HM.

I decided to pop it back on tonight, and motherfucker.. Copy Of A felt so manic and insane, Came Back Haunted kind of fell into sync with the rest of the album, instead of
being the track I was most tired of.. I'm on Find My Way right now, and honestly it's become one of my absolute favorite tracks in the whole catalog.

My advice is to give this album a rest, and come back to it after a few days of doing anything else..

Fred
10-06-2013, 06:44 AM
I've listened to it on a near-daily basis since it came out. It hasn't worn out yet. Running is the only track that hasn't really grown on me, apart from the stabby post-chorus guitars, which rock. Everything else I either liked from the get-go or have grown to like.

Mutilated
10-06-2013, 07:55 AM
I wish Copy Of A and Came Back Haunted were louder. Or punchier. I'm not sure, but particularly Copy Of A is very quiet...haha I'll get ridiculed for this!!

PhoenixML
10-09-2013, 12:00 PM
Sooo... After a few weeks, listen to non stop to HM, seeing NIN live recently, I'm ready to talk about this album.

It's fucking great. What more is there to say. Copy a A, Came Back Haunted, All Time Low, VMOE, In Two, all great songs! Everything is ok inbetween song and is short, so I don't mind. I totally don't care about Eater of Dream.

I don't believe it's my favorite NIN album, but it's one of his(their) best.

Pulsewidthmod
10-13-2013, 03:02 PM

wow, Arcade Fire's performance on SNL was the biggest shit-show ever; it was awful. I really liked the suburbs but after seeing them on SNL, I have absolutely no interest in them anymore. Nice pants he was wearing too with the eye all over it.

I haven't listened to the new MGMT record yet, but I like one of the songs I heard.

Copy of A
10-15-2013, 02:02 PM
wow, Arcade Fire's performance on SNL was the biggest shit-show ever; it was awful. I really liked the suburbs but after seeing them on SNL, I have absolutely no interest in them anymore. Nice pants he was wearing too with the eye all over it.

I haven't listened to the new MGMT record yet, but I like one of the songs I heard.
Nah it was really quite the opposite. It's going to be a great record

and MGMT's is good, I really like it

Copy of A
10-15-2013, 02:03 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L35rpdiHH_8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DL35rpdiHH_8

mmm so good

m15a
10-16-2013, 02:48 PM
I wish Copy Of A and Came Back Haunted were louder. Or punchier. I'm not sure, but particularly Copy Of A is very quiet...haha I'll get ridiculed for this!!

You need to turn up the bass or it'll sound fucking light, shitty.*

(*rehearsal recording reference. )

tony.parente
10-16-2013, 03:06 PM
You need to turn up the bass or it'll sound fucking light, shitty.*

(*rehearsal recording reference. )

*and make sure you're messing with a knob that doesn't do anything, you'll look really stupid.

Agent Scully
10-18-2013, 09:15 AM
There was an interview with Trent where he said something along the lines of wanting to listen to an album that gets better and better the more you play it, and that really resonates with this album for me. The singles they released made me sceptical I'd like it, but I'm really enjoying it. Loving All Time Low, Satellite, Various Methods of Escape (probably my favourite song) and Find My Way. To me the album is a blend of his earlier and later works, a bit of a cross between The Fragile and say, Year Zero or The Slip. I definitely don't get a Downward Spiral or Broken vibe from it though. I think I read somewhere it was being touted as such, but I just don't feel it's reminiscent of those albums at all. Part of me wishes he'd make another album/EP like Broken, all loud guitars and such. But I digress...

buckaroo
10-18-2013, 09:23 AM
To me the album is a blend of his earlier and later works, a bit of a cross between The Fragile and say, Year Zero or The Slip. I definitely don't get a Downward Spiral or Broken vibe from it though. I think I read somewhere it was being touted as such, but I just don't feel it's reminiscent of those albums at all. Part of me wishes he'd make another album/EP like Broken, all loud guitars and such. But I digress...

i agree with this. i actually think it has that organic vibe that the downward spiral had, but the music itself sounds nothing like it. does anyone else think satellite sounds like it would have been on year zero part 2? every time i hear that track i think it sounds like part of year zero.

jesus
10-21-2013, 12:07 AM
heard it today, WOW ! I love all the songs!!! even heard With Teeth before and compared to Hesitation Marks is left behind!

HurtinMinorKey
10-21-2013, 12:24 PM
After listening to the album a bunch, i'm already bored with it. I'm also convinced that Trent is responsible for only about 15% of what we hear (other than his voice) on the album. For the most part it lacks soul, and sounds like some very talented engineers took some T Rez vocals and went to work.

Demogorgon
10-21-2013, 12:28 PM
After listening to the album a bunch, i'm already bored with it. I'm also convinced that Trent is responsible for only about 15% of what we hear (other than his voice) on the album. For the most part it lacks soul, and sounds like some very talented engineers took some T Rez vocals and went to work.

the booklet is pretty clear about who did what. most of the songs were done completely by himself as far as the writing and instrumentation goes. Satellite specifically is a good example.

SarahConnor
10-21-2013, 12:49 PM
All Time Low should be edited for radio or at least a video. Its so cool.

HurtinMinorKey
10-21-2013, 01:49 PM
the booklet is pretty clear about who did what. most of the songs were done completely by himself as far as the writing and instrumentation goes. Satellite specifically is a good example.

It's called ghost writing, and it's common in music. The obvious reason for this deception is that no one is going to like the idea of NIN-Lite.

Demogorgon
10-21-2013, 02:01 PM
It's called ghost writing, and it's common in music. The obvious reason for this deception is that no one is going to like the idea of NIN-Lite.

i'm going to have to disagree with you 100% in claming that Trent Reznor, known to be a total control freak as far as NIN goes, would ghost-write. unless you're referring to the album Ghosts, which was written with several others since it was more or less a series of jams. but other than that, yeah.

r_z
10-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Ghosts is a great album.

Just felt the urge to state that just now.

Halo Infinity
10-21-2013, 03:02 PM
um, that is really, really awesome. well done.
It's like a very sweet combination of Fixed, Pretty Hate Machine, and The Downward Spiral. :D

HurtinMinorKey
10-21-2013, 03:40 PM
i'm going to have to disagree with you 100% in claming that Trent Reznor, known to be a total control freak as far as NIN goes, would ghost-write. unless you're referring to the album Ghosts, which was written with several others since it was more or less a series of jams. but other than that, yeah.

Fair enough. All I can say is, my ears tell me different, and that the equation changes a lot when you are pushing 50 with two kids.

screwdriver
10-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Fair enough. All I can say is, my ears tell me different, and that the equation changes a lot when you are pushing 50 with two kids.

I think that cuts both ways -- a lot of things in the equation change when you are pushing 50 with two kids, including how your music comes out. Might be why you think it sounds so different.

Ryan Tollefson
10-21-2013, 10:47 PM
I'm pushing 30 with 3 kids and I love it more and more every time I hear it. Its honestly the only thing I've been listening to since the leak. My kids love it too, I have to edit all time low on my own with the volume though, lol still looking for a edit copy of it I can put on my car cd for them.

Seriously though this album is in line with downward spiral and the fragile. I really thought it would start to wear off by the 2 month mark, but it just keeps getting better and better.

Love everything and anything to do with the artwork, I'm obsessed with it.

sick among the pure
10-21-2013, 11:21 PM

You use bleach to get the color effect?

m15a
10-21-2013, 11:45 PM
It's called ghost writing, and it's common in music.

examples? just curious.

SarahConnor
10-22-2013, 08:30 AM

Agreed, I like the new Arcade Fire tracks enough, I'll bet their better live. The concept of pseudo-band has been done alot better but mostly those mascot, bobble head, piñata-looking masks are fucking corny.

I don't think Reznor had a ghost-writer for any HM songs. Seems counter-productive. I think he's reusing things he's done before to different, subtle results. Maybe the studio process was more collaborative.

GFGohmann
10-22-2013, 08:45 AM
Can't stop listening to Hesitation Marks... I really hope they make another album very similar to the style of this one. Every song is excellent.

R-Dot-Yung
10-22-2013, 09:26 AM
So the Everything video is canned because of a negative first reaction to the song?

WorzelG
10-22-2013, 10:24 AM
So the Everything video is canned because of a negative first reaction to the song?

No idea really, and of course Shynola are going to say the video kicks ass! However since Trent himself referred to the song as an 'irritant' I wonder if that is the reason rather than the video sucking, I mean the CBH video actually repels you from the screen and that was released

HurtinMinorKey
10-22-2013, 10:33 AM
No idea really, and of course Shynola are going to say the video kicks ass! However since Trent himself referred to the song as an 'irritant' I wonder if that is the reason rather than the video sucking, I mean the CBH video actually repels you from the screen and that was released

Telling Shynola to sitt on their hands is a wee bit different then telling Mr. Lynch to do the same.

HurtinMinorKey
10-22-2013, 10:39 AM
examples? just curious.

Pretty much any pop artist. Sometimes the real writers are listed as co-wrriters, sometimes they are not listed at all. Just look at Brittney spears over her career. As she got more famous she started to get more writing credits on her albums. Do you really think she all of a sudden started writing her own songs?

m15a
10-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Pretty much any pop artist. Sometimes the real writers are listed as co-wrriters, sometimes they are not listed at all. Just look at Brittney spears over her career. As she got more famous she started to get more writing credits on her albums. Do you really think she all of a sudden started writing her own songs?

oh, okay. i guess i was wondering if there were examples a little more similar to NIN (the "rock" category or whatever). also, if there's anything like what is being claimed here, that someone well known for their songwriting starts getting ghostwritten.

nineismine
10-22-2013, 11:51 AM

I think the song Banditos by the refreshments was ghost written too!!

sick among the pure
10-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Regarding HM ghost writing, I don't think Trent would emphasize how honest to who he is and how he feels now he is being with HM if he wasn't the main force behind the songs, both lyrically and melodically. Yeah, he had some musicians play some instruments that Trent then (according to Ilan) chopped up to the extent that he doesn't even know what parts are him, but I highly doubt HM is ghost written.
idk, prove me wrong, I know I'm not right all the time. I just see no evidence that suggests otherwise.

screwdriver
10-22-2013, 05:13 PM
I'm sorry, I find this whole idea of ghost writing HM to be wholly without any merit or evidence, and can't believe it's even being seriously considered.

The HM credits clearly state who did what.

seasonsinthesky
10-22-2013, 09:21 PM
tront did something different?! it must have been written by someone else!

the difference you're hearing is the part of the process where TR, AR and AM purposely stepped out of their usual workflow, invited new musicians in and got them to add their totally unique style, then edited and chopped and changed their parts around. even if nothing that was originally played remains, it's the variety and choice of new and different collaborators that makes HM so strange and different from the same ambient-gloom workout that's been happening over and over for the last few years.

m15a
10-22-2013, 09:34 PM
to be clear, although i was asking about ghostwriting in (other) music, i am definitely not taking the claim seriously.

and i was trying to hold my tongue before, but claiming that an artist didn't create their own work because you don't like the work (or you don't like the artist, as is sometimes the case with such claims) is pretty offensive.

EDIT: by the way, i just looked through britney spears' albums on wikipedia. she doesn't have any sole writing credits at all. and doesn't have any writing credits on most of her songs. can't see how there's much ghostwriting there, either.