PDA

View Full Version : halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

ninperu
07-26-2013, 03:27 PM
I think that the audio on youtube is incomplete...

Leo_OAK
07-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Seriously, Guys?

I want to hear Hesitation Marks and I want it now.

(the whole version of Copy of A would also help a lot, thanks for asking)

DigitalChaos
07-26-2013, 03:52 PM
I think that the audio on youtube is incomplete...
all copies of copy of a are from the same copy. so, all copies, unfortunately, have the same incompleteness

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

edit: i feel extra bad about doing this to ninperu but hey... :o

Shadaloo
07-26-2013, 04:07 PM
So we've now heard tracks 2, 3, and 4 off the album. I've of course obsessively listened to them in that order. I feel like Find My Way might set up "All Time Low" to explode with rawness. Just brainless speculation. We'll see.

tony.parente
07-26-2013, 05:12 PM
So we've now heard tracks 2, 3, and 4 off the album. I've of course obsessively listened to them in that order. I feel like Find My Way might set up "All Time Low" to explode with rawness. Just brainless speculation. We'll see.

Well All Time Low IS the only track with expletives on the album.

ninperu
07-26-2013, 05:20 PM
all copies of copy of a are from the same copy. so, all copies, unfortunately, have the same incompleteness

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

edit: i feel extra bad about doing this to ninperu but hey... :o

no problem man, "copy of a" is already out and complete... and in video... amazing song!

thefragile_jake
07-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Seriously, Guys?

I want to hear Hesitation Marks and I want it now.

http://media.tumblr.com/8813b8e7ad0bf200a167f19c9ab8bae4/tumblr_inline_mq13sjtSdr1qz4rgp.gif

littlemonkey613
07-26-2013, 06:57 PM

I love how we've only heard the beginning tracks so its like we still don't know what the album is like, ala compare tracks 2,3,4 on his other albums to the rest of the songs on them. So exciting.

Rabbit
07-27-2013, 02:48 AM
Copy of A is my fav song right now. what a great track. Definitely gives me more hope for the new album.

And the lyrics aren't half bad!

danebraddy
07-27-2013, 08:44 PM
I wonder if 'Copy of A' was the single Trent wanted to lead with seeing as CBH was Columbia's choice.
It's such a badass song.

MrSlfDstruct
07-27-2013, 09:48 PM
I wonder if 'Copy of A' was the single Trent wanted to lead with seeing as CBH was Columbia's choice.
It's such a badass song.

I agree, I've been singing under my breath/whistling/humming the chorus all damn day! I'm really loving what I'm feeling is a Daft Punk-ish vibe from the music.

SarahConnor
07-27-2013, 10:37 PM
I'm waiting 'til the release date to hear these tracks!

Radiovoyr
07-28-2013, 01:18 AM
"copy of A" has been pounding in my head relentlessly all day. I fucking need this album right the fuck now.

Amaro
07-28-2013, 01:27 AM
I'm waiting 'til the release date to hear these tracks!

You're one tough cookie. I am weak as teh fuck.

Relatively premature, but--I have a feeling HM will easily make its way into my top 3 NIN LPs. Maybe partly from it being most fresh, but I seriously hear some of the strongest sounds from the 3 tracks out now than I have since...I'm not sure. The vein Trent is writing from is intense. The music all around has been hitting home runs. I wager this thing will be huge.

slave2thewage
07-28-2013, 01:28 AM
I wish Trent would put Copy Of A up as a free download or something. NEED IT NOW.

Wretchedest
07-28-2013, 04:43 AM
it seems a bit like With Teeth, sonically and thematically so far. Copy of A reminds me of "Getting Smaller"... in a good way, I know a lot of people don't like Getting Smaller.

It seems like another album approached after big life changes, in the style of With Teeth. The songs so far seem to be about Nine Inch Nails itself, which is kind of neat. That's the impression I get from only three songs.

dlb
07-28-2013, 04:51 AM
After having seen the Fuji Rock show I really don't know where I'd put Adrian Belew anyway, so it'd be nice to see any kind of rehearsal footage with him whereas Eustis and Avery I can imagine seem to share the same bass duties. I just wonder if Trent had to change much of his vision around since the departure of these guys.

Amaro
07-28-2013, 10:10 AM
it seems a bit like With Teeth, sonically and thematically so far. Copy of A reminds me of "Getting Smaller"... in a good way, I know a lot of people don't like Getting Smaller.

It seems like another album approached after big life changes, in the style of With Teeth. The songs so far seem to be about Nine Inch Nails itself, which is kind of neat. That's the impression I get from only three songs.

I would never have said GS, based on how I've heard COA so far. And that's okay. (I actually like GS.) The overall sonics from the tracks we've heard are keeping me guessing, in a really good way, and yet they seem to all fit each other. But I agree with everything else you're saying. Absolutely. This is the kind of album I saw coming again...at least one more time. Putting anything YZ to rest. This is where it's at.

Fist Fuck
07-28-2013, 10:49 AM
After having seen the Fuji Rock show I really don't know where I'd put Adrian Belew anyway, so it'd be nice to see any kind of rehearsal footage with him whereas Eustis and Avery I can imagine seem to share the same bass duties. I just wonder if Trent had to change much of his vision around since the departure of these guys.

Adrian would have made the band sound different, and now that I've heard the first show of the tour I really don't know if they could possibly sound any better. Even old staples like Closer, Hurt or Piggy sound fresh. You can tell they had a lot of rehearsal time.

I don't think Trent had to change his vision very much. Within the shortest time he went from a 5-piece to a 4-piece band in 2009 and make everything sound great, so there might have been some changes in guitar duties etc. but I wouldn't say some new arrangements could affect his vision of how the band should sound in 2013.

Maybe Adrian will join them on stage for a few songs in the near future, but I definitely can't see him playing songs like March of the Pigs or 1,000,000.

pigpen
07-28-2013, 12:42 PM
So, after hearing Copy of A and Find My Way I can say that my doubts of HM have been relieved. I loveee Find My Way, it's a fucking amazing song.

dlb
07-28-2013, 02:41 PM
Maybe Adrian will join them on stage for a few songs in the near future, but I definitely can't see him playing songs like March of the Pigs or 1,000,000.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe that is why "it didn't work out" in the end. I wonder if songs like MOTP and 1,000,000 were the reason for his departure and if they would have had to rely on the more experimental stuff to put Adrian into full use and into a comfortable setting for himself.

Fist Fuck
07-28-2013, 02:51 PM
My thoughts exactly. Maybe that is why "it didn't work out" in the end. I wonder if songs like MOTP and 1,000,000 were the reason for his departure and if they would have had to rely on the more experimental stuff to put Adrian into full use and into a comfortable setting for himself.

It's very likely that this was the case. Although: What did Adrian expect? He should know the band's catalogue. Same with Eric, he said he was overwhelmed, when he saw more and more tour dates popping up. What did HE expect? A handful of shows.

Maybe it really just "didn't work", often happens when musicians collaborate. Good thing Trent planned in 11 weeks for rehearsals, that way they had enough time to re-arrange things.

hobochic
07-28-2013, 03:11 PM
While on vacation in portugal Im glad im missing out on all these live videos with new songs. Ive never liked final album versions as much after hearing songs live before. They create expectations that the studio often fails to capture.

I know Id be all over this new material from home otherwise.

dlb
07-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Well, Avery came back from a full fleshed Garbage tour with approx. over 100 dates world wide (didn't check that) so yeah, I can sense why he might be exhausted, but as you said, he should have known what he's gotten himself into and I doubt that Trent didn't go over the details with his guys. Too bad, I would have liked to see him play with NIN (Adrian aswell), but the tour kicks ass so far and so I'm a happy NIN fan.

As long as Trent's up on stage. :P

joplinpicasso
07-28-2013, 03:30 PM
"Copy of A" + "Came Back Haunted" seem like the perfect way to properly open up a new album. I'm so pumped.

Vertigo
07-28-2013, 04:49 PM

I would think he'd be very happy to play such guitar-centric songs. Don't forget he contributed harsh, dissonant performances to Mr. Self Destruct and Just Like You Imagined - Adrian has absolutely no problem with noisy or challenging material.

The truth is, it was a strange departure; we have no clue what happened and probably never will. Presumably we're seeing the fruits of that brief partnership with stuff like the new Sanctified, and I hope they're still up for working together in future.

Fist Fuck
07-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Strange departure, exactly. I don't know Adrian very well but this brief "it didn't work out" already sounded strange. Then the lyrical reference to Head Like A Hole a few weeks later... but all that's just speculation. I'm sure his contributions on the album are great, so we got that at least.

After only hearing 3 songs (and a tiny snipped of Disappointed) I can already say that I'm going to love HM. Some have said it reminds them of PHM, or TDS, or even WT...I think that's what makes it great, it's like a best-of NIN.

If you think about it, Broken didn't sound like PHM, TDS was also different, TF went an entirely different direction again (with maybe a few songs resembling TDS), WT had a new sound, so did YZ and of course Ghosts. The only album that kind of combined previous sounds before HM was The Slip, but since HM is the "comeback album" it really makes sense that the sound and artwork and everything covers the whole spectrum of Trent's previous works.

True Fallacy
07-28-2013, 10:09 PM
I never could have pictured Belew onstage playing songs like "Gave Up" or "Wish" or "March Of The Pigs"...No offense to Belew, the dude is a guitar wizard, but it would have looked weird with a 65 year old guy onstage thrashing through these songs.... Robin is built for playing these songs live...

This is exactly right.. I wouldn't want it any other way. Fuji fest audio is a testament to this.

timdotexe
07-28-2013, 11:54 PM
Are we getting Hesitation Marks early in Australia?

Friday 30th August?
http://www.moshtix.com.au/v2/news/musicnews/nine-inch-nails-debut-two-new-tracks-at-fuji-rock-festival/17397
http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/music/alternative/hesitation-marks/686202

ultimatebdp
07-29-2013, 12:06 AM
As good as Belew is, he's more of a jam band player and NIN isn't constructed that way...especially with the shows as choreographed as much as they are. He's great for NIN when they're in a studio and Belew is noodling away and Trent is able to chop it up and work his magic.

Leo_OAK
07-29-2013, 12:31 AM
(and a tiny snipped of Disappointed)

Where did you hear it?

butter_hole
07-29-2013, 12:40 AM

Friday 30th August?
http://www.moshtix.com.au/v2/news/musicnews/nine-inch-nails-debut-two-new-tracks-at-fuji-rock-festival/17397

Yes. Happens with pretty much every release, comes out the Friday before the Tuesday its released in the US.

binaryhermit
07-29-2013, 12:45 AM
Then again, I'd be surprised if it doesn't leak before then.

captainbeyond
07-29-2013, 02:21 AM
I would think he'd be very happy to play such guitar-centric songs. Don't forget he contributed harsh, dissonant performances to Mr. Self Destruct and Just Like You Imagined - Adrian has absolutely no problem with noisy or challenging material.

The truth is, it was a strange departure; we have no clue what happened and probably never will. Presumably we're seeing the fruits of that brief partnership with stuff like the new Sanctified, and I hope they're still up for working together in future.

You're right. If you've ever seen the King Crimson DVD "Eyes Wide Open," you'll notice that Belew is actually the wildest one in the group and that his raw, fucked up sounding guitar wizardry actually makes a lot of sense with songs such as Wish, Gave Up, MOTP, 1,000,000...

pigpen
07-29-2013, 06:16 AM
Where on stage do you think Belew would have been? He sits quite a bit, so I'd have to assume they'd
put him in the back like the other more stationary members/instruments, which would be weird for a
guitar player...

slave2thewage
07-29-2013, 06:59 AM

Friday 30th August?

A few places are getting it on the 30th. I know Ireland and Australia are and I THINK a bunch of other EU countries like Italy and France have Thursday release dates too.

captainbeyond
07-29-2013, 09:28 AM
Where on stage do you think Belew would have been? He sits quite a bit, so I'd have to assume they'd
put him in the back like the other more stationary members/instruments, which would be weird for a
guitar player...

Are you sure you aren't mistaking him for Robert Fripp? Fripp sits down like the WHOLE time. I don't recall seeing Belew really sitting down on the live performances I've seen.

HurtinMinorKey
07-29-2013, 11:07 AM
guitar player...

That's ok, TR hates people taller than him standing on stage anyway...

Shadaloo
07-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Good Christ I am REALLY loving what I've heard of Disappointed so far. Only 2 minutes' worth and I am pumped.

leftofzero
07-29-2013, 11:56 AM
where did you find Disappointed? I've looked all over for it. thanks!

Indefinite_Cure
07-29-2013, 11:57 AM
HD version of Copy of A, no skips, perfect quality, shivers inducing, don't know if it's been posted before!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7drBeuxX814

Amaro
07-29-2013, 11:58 AM
where did you find Disappointed? I've looked all over for it. thanks!

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1948-Nine-Inch-Nails-Tour-Fapping-Thread?p=105133#post105133

That's where we keep fapping about incoming live stuffs. I strongly recommend you join us.

screwdriver
07-29-2013, 12:02 PM
god, I can't wait for this album to come out. I'm going into "no more new material" hibernation

Leo_OAK
07-29-2013, 02:20 PM
Tales of Us, the new Goldfrapp album, has leaked today. And its release date is sep 09. That gave me impure thoughts about the leaking of an album that's supposed to be released six days before that. I AM SORRY TRENT, I'M ONLY HUMAN, OK?

Amaro
07-29-2013, 03:15 PM
I wonder if Trent's oldest is old enough to know how to rip a CD, torrent and seed.

\

Real doh...I can see this thing leaking in the next few weeks. Any day now!

pigpen
07-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Are you sure you aren't mistaking him for Robert Fripp? Fripp sits down like the WHOLE time. I don't recall seeing Belew really sitting down on the live performances I've seen.

I could be wrong about that, but I know that Belew has a weird springy stool he keeps out on stage with him
at least I think I've seen it a few times now..

Leo_OAK
07-29-2013, 04:02 PM
I wonder if Trent's oldest is old enough to know how to rip a CD, torrent and seed.

\

Real doh...I can see this thing leaking in the next few weeks. Any day now!

This made me laugh

captainbeyond
07-29-2013, 04:57 PM
HD version of Copy of A, no skips, perfect quality, shivers inducing, don't know if it's been posted before!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7drBeuxX814

shivers and goosebumps here!!! (crazy since its like the 20th time to hear the song)

True Fallacy
07-29-2013, 06:52 PM
Ughhhh did he HAVE to name an album after self harm

It's meant to be illicit this type of response. It's meant to be horridly evocative.

scorpiusdiamond
07-29-2013, 07:51 PM
It's meant to be illicit this type of response. It's meant to be horridly evocative.

Plus, he did write 'Hurt'...

JamesCmuse
07-29-2013, 08:01 PM
I don't think people are really getting the name of the album. Sure, it's linked to self harm, but it can very much be metaphorical to how he may have perceived the future of NIN back when he decided he wasn't going to tour again. He wanted to end it, and couldn't.

That's just my take on it, anyway.

MrSlfDstruct
07-29-2013, 09:00 PM
shivers and goosebumps here!!! (crazy since its like the 20th time to hear the song)

I hear you! I've had this on almost constant repeat since Saturday, either by video or audio only. The parts that always get me is when he settles into that first chorus, and in the video footage when they do that wide shot when the whole band is finally on the stage. That's when it's like, oh shit, they're back!! Amazing stuff.

steelnails95
07-29-2013, 09:04 PM
Find My Way is fucking brilliant!!!

Kyle
07-29-2013, 10:58 PM
Plus, he did write 'Hurt'...

Plus, he did write a song about his recently deceased grandmother called "I'm Looking Forward to Joining You Finally," with a chorus that said "I've done all I can do. Can I please come with you?"

Not to mention, "He couldn't believe how easy it was. He put the gun into his face."

I'm shocked that anyone would be shocked.

Amaro
07-29-2013, 11:00 PM
Yeah, why is it offensive? I'm fucking lost... Goddamnit. FOCUS ON THE MUSIC.

Kyle
07-29-2013, 11:06 PM
Yeah, why is it offensive? I'm fucking lost... Goddamnit. FOCUS ON THE MUSIC.

I can understand why someone would find it offensive if they've dealt with that or had someone in their life commit suicide or something like that. What I don't understand would be why you'd be shocked to find it on a NIN record. Like how I get that there are people who are offended by foul language. But those people shouldn't be shocked or surprised when Hesitation Marks has a parental advisory sticker on it (I'm assuming it does, of course, but in all fairness I haven't heard anything yet from it that would warrant it, but we've only heard 3 1/2 songs from it).

Amaro
07-29-2013, 11:31 PM
But...it's the name he wanted for his record...the response piece to The Downward Spiral. Why does somebody actually get offended by this?

Amaro
07-29-2013, 11:57 PM
Here's Copy of A and Dissapointed (5:42)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGJdy2VRfDc

halleleuhua

Kyle
07-30-2013, 12:06 AM
But...it's the name he wanted for his record...the response piece to The Downward Spiral. Why does somebody actually get offended by this?

I think you're missing my point.

People being offended by suicide or self-harm references = perfectly within their rights. People offended or surprised to see them on a NIN record = not paying attention.

Or another comparison. People are within their rights to get offended if someone mocks their religion. Nothing wrong with that. If they get offended that the same person who wrote "Heresy" or "Terrible Lie" would do so, they clearly weren't paying attention.

You're kinda saying the same thing I am. It's the companion piece to The Downward Spiral. If you're offended by self-harm references, you weren't paying attention to the album it's supposed to go along with. But self-harm references in general are a different story. If Justin Timberlake called his next album "Suicide and Killing Yourself," I could perfectly understand people getting offended. But someone buying a hip hop CD and getting shocked that they heard the N-word is living on a different plant.

Kyle
07-30-2013, 12:09 AM
That clip started a little bit sooner than the Fuji one and I still think we're hearing at least a snippet of Eater of Dreams before Copy of A. But I'm probably only saying that because as soon as I saw the track listing and times, I decided EoD was a Pinion/999,999 type track and was going to be the intro at the forthcoming tour and I just don't want to be wrong until we can prove that I am.

Amaro
07-30-2013, 12:12 AM
I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to ignore the point you were making... I think you make a good one. "The Art of Self-Destruction"

Moreover, this is a serious record, so it's at least not in bad taste. At least...I don't think that could be said?

I lost my dad to cancer; if someone makes a straight JOKE about cancer in front of me, even in not KNOWING any better about the level of my personal history with the disease, I'll be offended...hurt, sad, angry, etc. It is offensive and disrespectful to those lives lost at its hand when put in that context. Yes.

Amaro
07-30-2013, 12:15 AM
That clip started a little bit sooner than the Fuji one and I still think we're hearing at least a snippet of Eater of Dreams before Copy of A. But I'm probably only saying that because as soon as I saw the track listing and times, I decided EoD was a Pinion/999,999 type track and was going to be the intro at the forthcoming tour and I just don't want to be wrong until we can prove that I am.

I thought that about the second good CoA video (decent audio quality anyway), also from South Korea...and saw some other people thought that as well. It's possible it is some of EoA, but it could just be the real start of CoA. Dunno, but I really like it!

Kyle
07-30-2013, 12:23 AM
I thought that about the second good CoA video (decent audio quality), also from South Korea...and saw other people thought that as well. It's possible it is some of EoA, but it could just be the real start of CoA. Dunno, but I like it!

I don't know if you've ever heard the album Absolution by Muse, the tracklisting has Track 1 as "Intro" as the first track, but it's not even really anything truly separate like Pinion or 999,999 but just a fade-in for the first real track. EoD could be something along those lines.

Or I could just still not want to admit defeat. ;)

For the record, my other prediction was that "Various Methods of Escape" sounds like an instrumental. And hopefully, I'm still at least right on that one.

Amaro
07-30-2013, 01:00 AM
I love how drawn out the songs we've heard are...almost a remixed vibe, which fucking rocks. Really satisfying lengths...

I can only imagine the overall immersion on the studio takes with these.

Khrz
07-30-2013, 01:20 AM
It's the companion piece to The Downward Spiral. If you're offended by self-harm references, you weren't paying attention to the album it's supposed to go along with. But self-harm references in general are a different story. If Justin Timberlake called his next album "Suicide and Killing Yourself," I could perfectly understand people getting offended. But someone buying a hip hop CD and getting shocked that they heard the N-word is living on a different plant.

Since it's a follow-up to TDS, has it occured to anyone that those hesitation marks are old wounds, remnants from 20 years ago, like marks that won't let you forget you were in that destructive mode ? Really it doesn't evoke suicide, but instead I believe we are talking about ancient scars, and what they mean.

thefragile_jake
07-30-2013, 01:26 AM
I'm in love with all of that songs so far. This is a great, great feeling.

Kyle
07-30-2013, 03:09 AM
Since it's a follow-up to TDS, has it occured to anyone that those hesitation marks are old wounds, remnants from 20 years ago, like marks that won't let you forget you were in that destructive mode ? Really it doesn't evoke suicide, but instead I believe we are talking about ancient scars, and what they mean.

I've seen it mentioned and in fact I think it's very likely that that's what it's supposed to be referring to. And that actually further backs up my point. To someone with no context, they could see a CD entitled "Hesitation Marks" and get bothered by it. But anyone who is familiar with Trent's life (and I would think everyone posting on this board is to some extent) should look at that title in a completely different way. Not only does this seem like this could actually be a record with a positive outlook, but it could also put the entire NIN back catalog in a different perspective.

Let me explain.

As I grew up, I never stopped listening to NIN, but by the time The Fragile came out, it was to the point where it was because Trent is a damn fine musician and no longer the whole angry youth relating to the lyrics thing. But a few years ago, I was going through a very rough time and that aspect of NIN started coming back to me and I was looking at the music in that way again. One song that I really felt like I could relate to was And All That Could Have Been. But it wasn't the same. I'm listening to lyrics like "and happiness and peace of mind are never meant for me" and thinking how it felt like that was true for me, but in the back of my head I'm thinking about how it wasn't true for the guy singing it even though he thought it was at the time. He's happy, sober and married. And while it frustrated me at times, it also gave me an element of hope. At the time I was in my thirties and it was just a rough spot in life, but I think if I was a young man right now in 2013 feeling as empty as I felt when I first discovered NIN, I can't help but wonder how his music would affect me. While it can be more.... I don't think "fun" is the right word, but let's go with it.... to rage along with that guy who understands you, but I think it's probably more healthy to hear the guy who is giving voice to everything you're feeling, but look at him now and realize that it wasn't forever. You can hear people you know say "I know how you feel, but it gets better," but you always think to yourself that they don't really understand. In this instance, Trent took what he felt at the time and spilled it all out for the world to see so that today he can say that he's been there and come out the other side and people will believe him because they've seen where he was.

I hope that made sense and wasn't just rambling. Although giving voice to that and putting it in context actually made me look forward to this album even more.

Rabbit
07-30-2013, 05:08 AM
Disappointed is another great track. The atmosphere of this cd is going to be stellar. I just hope his lyrics aren't so juvenile.

Jord
07-30-2013, 06:28 AM
I may be being thick here but how do we know its a follow up/companion piece to TDS?

Ryan
07-30-2013, 06:35 AM
Disappointed is another great track. The atmosphere of this cd is going to be stellar. I just hope his lyrics aren't so juvenile.

When haven't they been? lol

botley
07-30-2013, 06:44 AM
"Disappointed" has anything but juvenile lyrics, they are devastating in their own quiet fuck-you way.

...here's my interpretation (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1948-Nine-Inch-Nails-Tour-Fapping-Thread?p=105428#post105428) from the first live performance.

BenAkenobi
07-30-2013, 06:50 AM
the album must make sense without knowing that "long ago in a galaxy far, far away" there was the downward spiral.
that's the goal to achieve. making a "companion" album is a trap i hope trent wasn't caught in.

jessamineny
07-30-2013, 07:03 AM
I may be being thick here but how do we know its a follow up/companion piece to TDS?

He told us so in this NYT piece (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/28/arts/music/nine-inch-nails-is-back-onstage-with-a-vengeance.html?_r=3&adxnnl=1&pagewanted=all&adxnnlx=1374755143-OtdQ0kGEkD/R5vIeNRalOQ&).

HurtinMinorKey
07-30-2013, 09:06 AM

Yes, but there was a time when they at least sounded sincere. In fact, I feel like most of these lyrics are coming from stuff that he wrote from WT era and before. Year zero has some great lyrics.

JamesCmuse
07-30-2013, 09:20 AM
halleleuhua

I wonder when Trent is going to start punching that light...

tony.parente
07-30-2013, 09:58 AM
I wonder when Trent is going to start punching that light...
Seriously.
Why, why have an extra person on stage manually shining a light on people?
Its destracting and a little annoying, especially if I were on the rail and captain headlamp is blocking my view of the band members.

slave2thewage
07-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Seriously.
Why, why have an extra person on stage manually shining a light on people?
Its destracting and a little annoying, especially if I were on the rail and captain headlamp is blocking my view of the band members.
This is probably just for the festival tour. Plus, at these shows, the rail is gonna be pretty far back so it's not really going to block any of the band.

botley
07-30-2013, 10:29 AM
The idea seems to be they want to cast shadows on the panels behind them that change size and shape.

tony.parente
07-30-2013, 10:31 AM
This is probably just for the festival tour. Plus, at these shows, the rail is gonna be pretty far back so it's not really going to block any of the band.

Is there something i'm missing, like is there some sort of deep artistic meaning behind it? I'm not trying to be douchy, just curious is all because it doesn't seem like trent at all to just allow some guy standing right in front of him for at least 2 songs with an oversized mag light.

EDIT: And if they wanted to cast shadows couldn't they do that from the photo pit?

scorpiusdiamond
07-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Looking at the light in question, it looks like an LED lamp rather than a traditional fixture. It's easier to hold (as it won't get anywhere near as hot) but not as good at throwing light so it needs to be closer to the subject to throw the kind of shadows needed.
I do still think it's a little unnecessary. The rest of the light show is awesome, but this seems a little overdone. What would have been better would be small on-stage lights like in the Wave Goodbye tour but at different angles so they could still be 'moving' and casting shadows.
If you're reading Trent, HMU, I'd like to be part of your technical team.

tony.parente
07-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Looking at the light in question, it looks like an LED lamp rather than a traditional fixture. It's easier to hold (as it won't get anywhere near as hot) but not as good at throwing light so it needs to be closer to the subject to throw the kind of shadows needed.
I do still think it's a little unnecessary. The rest of the light show is awesome, but this seems a little overdone. What would have been better would be small on-stage lights like in the Wave Goodbye tour but at different angles so they could still be 'moving' and casting shadows.
If you're reading Trent, HMU, I'd like to be part of your technical team.

I hate to even bring him into the conversation, but it seems like something manson would do for artistic purposes that typically end up failing/confusing the concert goers. The guy that brings the oxygen mask on stage comes to mind.
But it really doesn't effect me, since I wasn't in korea watching the show in person and I won't be going to any of the festival dates.

scorpiusdiamond
07-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Incubus did it really well
http://youtu.be/t-E1SaDrHJQ?t=5m30s
(5:30)
Shouldn't this be in the tour threads though?

SM Rollinger
07-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Lately, i go into any thread involving HM and/or the new tour, and its like 5 or 6 different conversations involving the prior mentioned topics. lol

Jord
07-30-2013, 11:41 AM
He told us so in this NYT piece (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/28/arts/music/nine-inch-nails-is-back-onstage-with-a-vengeance.html?_r=3&adxnnl=1&pagewanted=all&adxnnlx=1374755143-OtdQ0kGEkD/R5vIeNRalOQ&).

Ah, thanks for that, much appreciated. This only makes me even more excited for HM. :D

Bokononist
07-30-2013, 12:39 PM

One could make a case for this album being intentionally self-parodic if it bugs them that much. That does sound like fun, no?
Speaking of lyrics, praying to the lord doesn't come up much with NIN. Is it odd or just a nod (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XdrgB8gbb8)?

ripedecay
07-30-2013, 12:59 PM
so this is first ive heard of disappointed and from the sounds of HM im really digging it. sounds like PHM fucked TDS in the ass and time traveled to 2013 and dropped these tracks with these crazy beats and synths on us. Gotta say got fucking chills listening to Copy of A.

here is video of Disappointed S. Korea (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGJdy2VRfDc&feature=youtu.be)

icklekitty
07-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Is there something i'm missing, like is there some sort of deep artistic meaning behind it? I'm not trying to be douchy, just curious is all because it doesn't seem like trent at all to just allow some guy standing right in front of him for at least 2 songs with an oversized mag light.

EDIT: And if they wanted to cast shadows couldn't they do that from the photo pit?

A lot of this tour, visually, seems to hark back to the Brechtian approach to the 2007 tour.

finalhour
07-30-2013, 01:11 PM
A lot of this tour, visually, seems to hark back to the Brechtian approach to the 2007 tour.

Good lord people, go watch the Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense concert movie. They did the same thing. He's taking some notes from the Talking Heads and it's fucking awesome.

icklekitty
07-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Yes. I know he did. Stop Making Sense has been referenced all over the place recently. But watch the 2007 tour footage, which is also very similar and no doubt also drew some inspiration from Talking Heads.

Brechtian shows reference the verfremdungseffekt; the alienation effect where you are aware of the artifice. Around 2007 a lot of articles made reference to this. An example of verfremdungseffekt is having the crew blatantly on display during the performance, and the concert starting out of nowhere (e.g. no smoke and mirrors, just walking onstage and starting). This is what happened in 2007 and this is what we are currently discussing. It is separate to the visual performance aspect inspired by SMS.

Indeed, the term "stop making sense" is a reference to the postmodern jouissance that Brecht inspired. The influence of Brecht on Talking Heads is referenced in this book (http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=cBvphBClPGAC&pg=PA99&lpg=PA99&dq=brechtian+%22stop+making+sense%22&source=bl&ots=gs6gvLccnI&sig=5oTpXxX4j_tWpI9LICNCpScEHxE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=6AP4UdSfGc72O-6dgcgH&ved=0CEEQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=brechtian%20%22stop%20making%20sense%22&f=false).

pigpen
07-30-2013, 02:47 PM
Disappointed is going to kick fucking ass on the album, I can tell.

This is a pretty awful recording of it, but you can tell how good it's going to be..

thevoid99
07-30-2013, 09:21 PM
The strings in "Disappointed" are the best thing in that track. Man, it's so fucking good. I want to hear more!!!!!

Radiovoyr
07-30-2013, 09:54 PM
I fucking adore how acid house inspired three of the four songs we have heard sound. Acid house is probably my favorite thing, and I've always wanted a dancey-housey nin album. wet dream come true so far.

piggy
07-30-2013, 10:20 PM
Personally, I was reminded of "Higher Love" from Depeche Mode's Devotional tour when I saw the shadows projected on the background scrim. They also did something similar during "I Feel You" on the Exciter tour.

martin_b
07-31-2013, 09:23 AM
Well, it's probably not the best place to ask for this, but...

Does anybody know how can I add some additional items to an existing purchase order in store.nin.com? Or maybe how can I merge two purchase orders?

I'm asking about this because I have ordered the DE of the "Hesitation Marks", but when I saw the artwork for the standard edition I now want to purchase that too. Unfortunately, so far I have not received any answer from the nin@modlife.com team. :-( And it's quite stupid to pay another $12 for the shipment...

Thanks for any help!

eversonpoe
07-31-2013, 09:43 AM
Well, it's probably not the best place to ask for this, but...

Does anybody know how can I add some additional items to an existing purchase order in store.nin.com? Or maybe how can I merge two purchase orders?

I'm asking about this because I have ordered the DE of the "Hesitation Marks", but when I saw the artwork for the standard edition I now want to purchase that too. Unfortunately, so far I have not received any answer from the nin@modlife.com team. :-( And it's quite stupid to pay another $12 for the shipment...

Thanks for any help!

yeah, there don't seem to be any options when you log into your account and look at your orders to be able to change or cancel anything...but the modlife team was pretty helpful when a lot of people were having shipping cost problems the first day that pre-orders went up for the new album, so i'm sure they'll get back to you soon. if not, send them another e-mail.

snaapz
07-31-2013, 09:59 AM
Wow. I know I'm only hearing youtube videos of a live concert but wow... this is quite amazing... I'm loving all the textures and the vocal techniques... I can't stop listening!

True Fallacy
07-31-2013, 10:37 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/28/arts/music/nine-inch-nails-is-back-onstage-with-a-vengeance.html?pagewanted=all&_r=4&

This NY Times Article states that the album "looks back on TDS from a distance of 2 decades.. Kind of leery of calling it fact until I hear that from T-Rez, but I truly do think this is some kind of follow up to "the downward spiral" Or an implied connection through the artwork and sonic quality (almost the same way "The Slip" sound and artwork implied a connection to Art is Resistance, and hence "Year Zero").

I think, quite simply, if you follow the mood linearly through both album flows, I think we'll find the bottom of "The Downward Spiral" in track 5 of HM, called "All Time Low". Tracks like "Various Methods of Escape", and "Running" follow this, and they may be referencing an effort to escape the spiral... I'm just speculating and turning this into a story at this point, which is fun to do :)

Does anyone else feel this way, based on the evidence I presented to support my theory?

True Fallacy
07-31-2013, 10:39 AM
Wow. I know I'm only hearing youtube videos of a live concert but wow... this is quite amazing... I'm loving all the textures and the vocal techniques... I can't stop listening!

If you haven't heard the Fiji Audio yet, IT'S FANTASTIC. Reflecting in the chrome did an amazing job sourcing and labeling. I've been jamming it all week since this weekend...

True Fallacy
07-31-2013, 10:41 AM
so this is first ive heard of disappointed and from the sounds of HM im really digging it. sounds like PHM fucked TDS in the ass and time traveled to 2013 and dropped these tracks with these crazy beats and synths on us. Gotta say got fucking chills listening to Copy of A.

here is video of Disappointed S. Korea (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGJdy2VRfDc&feature=youtu.be)

Me too. I'm loving the SHIT out of "Copy of A"..

HurtinMinorKey
07-31-2013, 10:51 AM
From the CBH single and what I am hearing live, the album is going to be so good that Pitchfork will probably give it a 1.5

pigpen
07-31-2013, 11:28 AM
What the hell is trent wearing in that video above? Looks like a skirt or something

brokenfragility
07-31-2013, 12:22 PM
From the CBH single and what I am hearing live, the album is going to be so good that Pitchfork will probably give it a 1.5

Its funny that their most positive NIN review post TDS was for The Slip. I still can't believe how "meh" they were about Year Zero. If Radiohead had released Year Zero, it would be a 9.7 or higher. I'm going to go ahead and guess....6.8 for Hesitation Marks.

HurtinMinorKey
07-31-2013, 01:14 PM
Its funny that their most positive NIN review post TDS was for The Slip. I still can't believe how "meh" they were about Year Zero. If Radiohead had released Year Zero, it would be a 9.7 or higher. I'm going to go ahead and guess....6.8 for Hesitation Marks.

I've never wanted to pinata a reviewer as much as when they gave the Fragile a 2.0.

Meanwhile, Kanye, who can't rap for shit (although he's a brilliant producer) and who's lyrics make Trent seem like James Joyce, gets a 10.0 and 9.5 for his last two albums. Adding insult to injury, pitchfork insinuated that Kanye could have helped HTDA with the production of Welcome Oblivion.

Amaro
07-31-2013, 01:28 PM
Year Zero is barely worth a 5, IMO. HM will slay it. Actually, I think it already has.

Khrz
07-31-2013, 01:48 PM
Year Zero is barely worth a 5, IMO. HM will slay it. Actually, I think it already has.

YZ was a great, great effort, a huge step in a totally different direction, but the songwriting was just... Weak. After the initial blast, I don't think I played it again, other than out of pure curiosity.
And after all, you can throw as much experimental stuff on track, invent a whole new world, it doesn't beat having a set of strong songs.

Amaro
07-31-2013, 02:17 PM
YZ was a great, great effort, a huge step in a totally different direction, but the songwriting was just... Weak. After the initial blast, I don't think I played it again, other than out of pure curiosity.
And after all, you can throw as much experimental stuff on track, invent a whole new world, it doesn't beat having a set of strong songs.

Basically my feelings towards YZ. It's at the very bottom of my list, although it did result in some gems including In This Twilight.

brokenfragility
07-31-2013, 02:34 PM
Regardless I just always thought Year Zero sounded like an album they would like (I've been reading pitchfork since like the beginning of time, I can usually tell what they'll like and what they won't) the whole sent back through time thing was cool and all the songs complimented each other very well. Its not my favorite NIN album, but its easily in the top 3, and its definitely better than The Slip. It also had a very cool new completely digital sound, and from a production standpoint, I think its one of the best things TR has done. It sounds just like all the sites for the ARG looked, all distorted through time. Super cool.

thefragile_jake
07-31-2013, 02:52 PM

I agree with this entirely. I've just never been a fan of the sound and concept of that album. I get bored with the songs fairly quickly. I mean, I still love Trent's work...and I've been constantly saying about YZ it's "interesting" but when compared to his other work entirely...it's at the bottom of my list.

I think Pitchfork will probably give Hesitation Marks a mid to high 7. They gave the Slip a 7.5.

I tend to agree with Pitchfork on a lot of things...it seemed the general consensus was that Daft Punk album didn't live up to it's hype but I agreed with Pitchfork's review on it. Same goes for the new Queens of the Stone Age record that people here especially liked a lot...I didn't care for it and I believe Pitchfork gave it a 6 or something.

Either way...on the subject of HM. I think reviews should be fairly positive...tracks like "Find My Way" and "Disappointed" give me a feeling of material off of the Fragile...which gets me extremely excited!

Kyle
07-31-2013, 03:11 PM
I think YZ is my second favorite NIN album besides TDS so what do I know?

brokenfragility
07-31-2013, 03:32 PM
Either way...on the subject of HM. I think reviews should be fairly positive...tracks like "Find My Way" and "Disappointed" give me a feeling of material off of the Fragile...which gets me extremely excited!

wait so it should be positive because its reminiscent of this? http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/5799-the-fragile/

cahernandez
07-31-2013, 03:33 PM

You're not alone in this matter. I think Year Zero is great.

And I don't understand why people care about reviews from "professional critics". Read about what Henry Rollins has to say on music critics: http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/10/henry_rollins_the_column_the_f.php?page=2

I'd rather read what people on this board have to say about Hesitation Marks than some douche from Pitchfork or Rolling Stone or whatever "hip" magazine is out there.

thefragile_jake
07-31-2013, 03:41 PM
wait so it should be positive because its reminiscent of this? http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/5799-the-fragile/

I meant to say general reviews for HM should be decent.

I always laugh at that review from Pitchfork. That was also at a time when they were giving albums a ten because they were really good friends (http://web.archive.org/web/20030224104138/www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/w/walt-mink/el-producto.shtml) with certain bands.

Pretty sure that happens still though as far as good reviews to good friends (http://pitchfork.com/artists/5094-deerhunter/?utm_campaign=search&utm_medium=site&utm_source=search-ac) go.

brokenfragility
07-31-2013, 04:09 PM
Haha, yeah I definitely think it will be more positive than The Fragile. I actually think since it seems TR has dropped a little bit of the teen angst (I'm saying that because of his interview where he said there was no screaming) it has a potential....potential... to get a decent review on pitchfork. I've always wondered what TR thinks of pitchfork, I know Welcome Oblivion had that pitchfork stream before release (obviously Colombia's idea more than TR) but pitchfork has been hard on him for like...forever. I still can't believe this (http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/5802-the-downward-spiral-deluxe-edition/) review either. Generally they use deluxe editions to review albums that came out before they existed and give classics really good scores. TDS is like one of the biggest most influential albums of this era of music, and they're like "slap an 8.3 on it".

I agree though with a poster above about the whole state of music review sites, its all just snobby and hipster these days.

Leo_OAK
07-31-2013, 04:22 PM
Here we go, debating the possible reviews for an album that we only heard 4 tracks out of 14. I love you, NINternet.

(and Pitchfork, Imma let you finish, but The Fragile is the greatest album of all time. OF ALL TIME)

brokenfragility
07-31-2013, 04:28 PM
Here we go, debating the possible reviews for an album that we only heard 4 tracks out of 14. I love you, NINternet.

(and Pitchfork, Imma let you finish, but The Fragile is the greatest album of all time. OF ALL TIME)

Yup, there isn't much more to talk about until they play another show or release a damn song! Speaking of which, didn't TR say in a recent interview that they would be releasing another track(s) before the US leg of the festival tour? So between now and Friday?

tony.parente
07-31-2013, 04:32 PM
I agree with this entirely. I've just never been a fan of the sound and concept of that album. I get bored with the songs fairly quickly. I mean, I still love Trent's work...and I've been constantly saying about YZ it's "interesting" but when compared to his other work entirely...it's at the bottom of my list.

I think Pitchfork will probably give Hesitation Marks a mid to high 7. They gave the Slip a 7.5.

I tend to agree with Pitchfork on a lot of things...it seemed the general consensus was that Daft Punk album didn't live up to it's hype but I agreed with Pitchfork's review on it. Same goes for the new Queens of the Stone Age record that people here especially liked a lot...I didn't care for it and I believe Pitchfork gave it a 6 or something.

In order of their brilliance:

The Fragile
Broken
The Downward Spiral
(Hesitation marks sounds like it will be right around here)
Year Zero
Pretty Hate Machine
The Slip
Ghosts

butter_hole
07-31-2013, 04:43 PM
Oh cool we're talking about Pitchfork reviews again

Vertigo
07-31-2013, 04:45 PM
Year Zero's my favourite album at the moment. Ludicrous depth of instrumentation and electronic musicianship, packed in some poignantly distopian songs.

Does very much help to have the multitracks, though - if there's something I don't like in a song (and there have been many over the years) I can just pop it in Audacity and fix it. Currently I think it's pretty much perfect. So to an extent, the album's as good as you want it to be; I wish he'd release the multitracks for every album. Actually, I wish every artist would release their multitracks for all their albums.

But yeah, Hesitation Marks... Thus far, an interesting direction. It's funny to hear people keep referencing older albums for comparison, to me it feels very new. Groove-based electronica - my initial sense on hearing Came Back Haunted was that it reminded me of The Chemical Brothers, and that's still the case with the new songs. With that said, it does feel like something Trent & co have been evolving up to, with Year Zero, Social Network and Welcome Oblivion increasingly embracing steady basslines and obscure synths.

anouk
07-31-2013, 04:45 PM
Anyone has the lyrics of Copy Of A? Please ; )

Khrz
07-31-2013, 04:48 PM
Well there's nothing wrong with loving what you love anyway, disagreement never meant that anyone had a better taste. Music especially ties to our emotions, there's not much objectivity in that. YZ spoke to you, it didn't touch me. Different strokes etc...

r_z
07-31-2013, 04:50 PM
I don't depend my opinions on reviews by P4k, but I think their reviews of HTDA, TS and YZ were spot on.

dominik
07-31-2013, 05:09 PM

oh, you have already heard the album? could you please share it?

The_Prowler
07-31-2013, 05:14 PM
Am I the only one who deliberately hasn't listened to any of the new songs other than Came Back Haunted?

Fist Fuck
07-31-2013, 05:37 PM
People still read Bitchfork reviews?

screwdriver
07-31-2013, 05:41 PM
I don't depend my opinions on reviews by P4k, but I think their reviews of HTDA, TS and YZ were spot on.

even a broken clock is right twice a day

Highly Psychological
07-31-2013, 05:44 PM
Does anyone else find it weird how quickly he went from being unsure of himself and holding back when making the rather weedy sounding With Teeth to full blown electro glitchy socio-political futuristic anarchist overlord commentator with Year Zero?? Those albums came out in less than 2 years of each other.
He held back on With Teeth which sounds like a very repressed sort of half formed bleak album, then Year Zero was this big purge of repressed energy sort of the opposite to With Teeth.
Year Zero was unfocused and i dont think he really gave a fuck he just wanted to make noise and release it. Some of it sounded great some of it was a total mess! But overall too quickly made and could have been way better some of it meanders and lot of the tracks sound too similar to one another.
And then The Slip came after ...a stripped down 2 week jam on an album which comes across like an EP.
So this is the first time in a long time he has spent a while being focused working on a NIN album. I think having spent a lot longer on it will make a huge difference to the way it sounds. The last era was a weird one. Sounded like someone constantly trying to find his feet again, had a few brilliant moments but i just think he is more sure of himself now.

brokenfragility
07-31-2013, 05:45 PM
Am I the only one who deliberately hasn't listened to any of the new songs other than Came Back Haunted?

No, not the only one, I've seen others. Its just that most people who are trying to avoid spoilers are avoiding the NIN section of this board all together. I wish I was that strong. I'm not.

Frozen Beach
07-31-2013, 05:47 PM
While I'm indifferent to Pitchfork, I wouldn't really totally crucify them for The Fragile review considering that the person who reviewed it is, I'm pretty sure, completely insane. Not because he didn't like it, but the way he wrote it seemed so... self absorbed. A lot of his reviews were like that. Apparently Pitchfork caught on eventually, which might be why he no longer writes for them.

dominik
07-31-2013, 05:54 PM
I don't get why everyone says YZ is "too quickly made". Yes, he started the record on his laptop while on tour, but he also spent a decent amount of time in the studio. And by the way, for HM he also programmed the beats on his laptop (Source (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/28/arts/music/nine-inch-nails-is-back-onstage-with-a-vengeance.html?_r=4&adxnnl=1&pagewanted=all&adxnnlx=1374755143-OtdQ0kGEkD/R5vIeNRalOQ&)).

True Fallacy
07-31-2013, 06:15 PM

Well said. Never read that pitchfork review before just now... And I'm glad. I wonder if he feels the same way about it now..

butter_hole
07-31-2013, 06:35 PM
even a broken clock is right twice a day
this makes absolutely no sense in this context

r_z
07-31-2013, 06:37 PM
I guess having you and your major label album constantly called 'rocks savior' by the media years ahead of its release and then releasing a bloated double cd full of self absorbed and -concerned lyrics wasn't the best way to try for a positive review from a then much more 'underground' music site / blog.

Kyle
07-31-2013, 07:44 PM
I've always wondered what TR thinks of pitchfork

I know when Welcome Oblivion came out he made a snarky post on either Facebook or twitter (or both don't remember) about another negative review from pitchfork and how some things never change. Anybody have an exact quote?

BRoswell
07-31-2013, 08:10 PM
...full of self absorbed and -concerned lyrics...

The same could be said for the albums that preceded The Fragile.

Radiovoyr
07-31-2013, 08:18 PM
I do not want to contribute to the derailing of the thread, but I love the Fragile so much that I am honestly confused by people who do not love it. I know that it is a dumb stance, but it is how I feel.

Anyway, Do we think that is a real 303 on Copy of A or a different softsynth? I love the sounds I am hearing on the 4 tracks we have heard and I havent been this curious about his equipment since that swarmatron video?

Leviathant
07-31-2013, 08:41 PM
Anyway, Do we think that is a real 303 on Copy of A or a different softsynth? I love the sounds I am hearing on the 4 tracks we have heard and I havent been this curious about his equipment since that swarmatron video?

Alessandro's been posting photos of classic analog gear lately, one of which included a 303 with the Devil Fish mod (http://instagram.com/p/bxpeQwKjaE/). He also picked up a Quicksilver mod for his 606 (http://instagram.com/p/bxpeQwKjaE/). Are those what's up on stage? Hard to say. But following that guy's Instagram gives me some o' the ol' gearlust, that's for sure.

carpenoctem
07-31-2013, 08:56 PM

*raises hand*

I'm not doing it on principle so much as distaste for hearing bootleg versions first. It colors my expectations and tarnishes the studio versions, which (especially with people like Trent) are the perfect frozen images of what the artist is trying to say with the songs. Yeah, I'm basically tearing out my hair reading everyone's comments, but it increases the hype and makes the first listen that much more glorious.

MrSlfDstruct
07-31-2013, 09:11 PM
I've whet my appetite enough with Copy of a and Find My Way. I'm going to hold off to get a fresh listen to everything else on the actual record. First show in four years though, I couldn't help but watch/listen.

A friend of mine got a leak of With Teeth a couple weeks before it came out and tortured me with it, as I refused to listen to it until the official release. I'd definitely check out a high quality leak of HM now though . . .

Which leads me to realize that this is the first time since WT that we've had a "new NIN album out on X date" release, rather than a "here it is, surprise!" release. I like the surprise better :D

Edit: Completely forgot about Year Zero . . .

brokenfragility
07-31-2013, 09:18 PM
Which leads me to realize that this is the first time since WT that we've had a "new NIN album out on X date" release, rather than a "here it is, surprise!" release. I like the surprise better :D

Well, Year Zero, but I get your point :P

MrSlfDstruct
07-31-2013, 09:19 PM
Ah shit!

I DID find Year Zero a couple weeks early at Wal Mart. Figured I'd start hitting them up in the next couple weeks for HM :D

ZeroSum
07-31-2013, 09:25 PM

I listened to "Copy of A" and immediately regretted it... it was so awesome and sent shivers down my spine. I totally ruined the feeling I would have gotten at Lolla this Friday... For that reason I knew I had to hold off with the other new songs that have been played live.

Radiovoyr
07-31-2013, 10:18 PM
Alessandro's been posting photos of classic analog gear lately, one of which included a 303 with the Devil Fish mod (http://instagram.com/p/bxpeQwKjaE/). He also picked up a Quicksilver mod for his 606 (http://instagram.com/p/bxpeQwKjaE/). Are those what's up on stage? Hard to say. But following that guy's Instagram gives me some o' the ol' gearlust, that's for sure.

ah, very cool - Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize he had an instagram to follow. 303s and 101s are maybe my favorite instrument on the planet, I wish I could afford them.

sidenote, I did purchase LuSH-101 recently and I am completely in love with it, next stop is some kind of 303 softsynth (I know, I know, but poverty.)

gorast
07-31-2013, 10:52 PM
ah, very cool - Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize he had an instagram to follow. 303s and 101s are maybe my favorite instrument on the planet, I wish I could afford them.

sidenote, I did purchase LuSH-101 recently and I am completely in love with it, next stop is some kind of 303 softsynth (I know, I know, but poverty.)

http://hesitation-marks.tumblr.com collects every Instagram post by the touring band and posts them in real time, which would probably be easier to keep track of.

scottdot
07-31-2013, 11:04 PM
I didn't want to scour through almost 40 pages of this thread, but it seems like the full album track listing is live on iTunes for Hesitation Marks. Really looking forward to some of these based on the titles alone. Copy of A is such a strong track, I was kind of hoping it was the album opener. I hope "The Eater of Dreams" is a solid album opener like "Help Me I'm in Hell."

pigpen
07-31-2013, 11:46 PM
Help Me I Am In Hell is not an album opener, I think you meant Pinion..

jesus
08-01-2013, 12:41 AM
I "came back spoiled" just saw dissapointed :( it's so good

pigpen
08-01-2013, 01:14 AM
god damnit.

Anyway, to make use of what would have been an otherwise pointless post.

Having heard what we have from the new record, and knowing that TR has said he doesn't ever really raise his voice on it,
I really am enjoying the alternative vocal stylings he's displayed so far. Sure, he's a little pitchy live, but that's fine. I'm
excited to hear the final vocal takes on Disappointed and Find My Way.

ultimatebdp
08-01-2013, 09:23 AM
It's officially August!!! Bring on the snippets (or stream/leak the album), Columbia!!

OSLIN
08-01-2013, 10:05 AM
I listened to "Copy of A" and immediately regretted it... it was so awesome and sent shivers down my spine. I totally ruined the feeling I would have gotten at Lolla this Friday... For that reason I knew I had to hold off with the other new songs that have been played live.

I need your discipline.

Leo_OAK
08-01-2013, 02:46 PM
I need your discipline.

And I need your help. Can't wait for this album anymore

EndlessLoveless
08-01-2013, 03:53 PM
I know its sparse/minimal/electronic, which is totally cool, but I just hope that there is at least one or two loud, noisey, mid to slower tempo, walls of guitars sounding songs. Like "were in this together" or "the line begins to blur". Or the explosion that is "the way out is through".

But I love every nin album and no matter what TR puts out, i end up connecting with. Already bought all versions of HM and cant fucking wait to see them tomorrow night!!!!!

Ryan
08-01-2013, 09:27 PM
And I need your help. Can't wait for this album anymore

Same here. I'm going to piss all over this thread out of frustration.

butter_hole
08-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Speaking of new tracks, Hits Daily Double say:

Kudos to Mike DePippa for staying the course on MS MR, which is now breaking after months of hard work by the label and the band! He’s about to launch follow-ups on The Neighbourhood, Daft Punk and (soon) Nine Inch Nails.

Mike DePippa is VP of Promotion at Columbia. New single soon people!

Leviathant
08-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Speaking of new tracks, Hits Daily Double say

I haven't made too much noise about this, but it could potentially be derived from Shynola Films' Twitter account that the video for a new Nine Inch Nails album will be released two weeks before the album debuts.

Bonus points for the use of 'soon' in a HDD post about NIN though, haha.

jessamineny
08-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Is this the jump-the-shark moment for the "soon" joke? : /

binaryhermit
08-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Can't wait for the next single. Hopefully they'll make it available for free to those who preordered the album like they did for Came Back Haunted.

thefragile_jake
08-01-2013, 10:39 PM
I keep hearing all of this talk of "minimal" with Hesitation Marks. So far with songs like Disappointed and Copy of A, these tracks sound pretty layered. Even in Came Back Haunted, I still hear a lot going on in there compared to some tracks off of With Teeth. I don't know...this could just be me though.

Leviathant
08-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Yeah, I don't know what this minimal stuff is all about. Copy of A starts off pretty minimal, but by the end it's super busy. The only thing minimal about Came Back Haunted is that the bassline never really changes throughout the song.

bobbie solo
08-01-2013, 11:13 PM
i dont hear much in the way of minimalism, and i like what i've heard other than shitty CBH, but it's clear this is going to be an electronic-leaning album. Drum loops, no live drums. Guitars will be soundscapes, noodling, extra sounds, not riffs. I mean shit, they took the guitars out of 1,000,000 when they play it live for god's sake! This will not be a rock record in any way, and that depresses me. I love Year Zero, and that's all electronic. But that was 6 years ago, and everything post-Slip has been this repetitive drum loop/quiet sounding stuff (except for Tetsuo). And that's fine, it fit with the soundtrack work he was doing. But there's a formula in place for alot of this work, HM material included. It's apparent on the HTDA material too, and im kind of sick of it. I was really hoping for some interpretation of the more "rock" sound that NIN can be. sucks.

thefragile_jake
08-01-2013, 11:23 PM
I still don't understand the hate for CBH. The more I hear that song, the more it's quickly becoming a favorite of mine and it KILLS live. I love the backing vocals Robin does during the last chorus, the band really nails it.

Anyway, back on the minimal discussion...I'd say that the bassline for CBH is no more different than a bassline like in Into the Void or I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally. From what I remember, those songs had a pretty structured way about them with rhythms that remain almost a constant throughout the length of the song. CBH isn't the most layered or busiest song NIN has ever done but it's nowhere near as basic as a Getting Smaller or anything like that. Not knocking GS or anything, that song is still okay with me.

OH and back on a Hesitation Marks snippet talk...I'm certain we'll start hearing some things next month. I'll probably even put the snippets on my iTunes somehow cause I'm like that. :)

butter_hole
08-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Drum loops, no live drums.

So Ilan Rubin is on the album just to... play guitar? Sing?

Kyle
08-01-2013, 11:32 PM
i dont hear much in the way of minimalism, and i like what i've heard other than shitty CBH, but it's clear this is going to be an electronic-leaning album. Drum loops, no live drums. Guitars will be soundscapes, noodling, extra sounds. I mean shit, they took the guitars out of 1,000,000 when they play it live for god's sake! This will not be a rock record in any way, and that depresses me. I love Year Zero, and that's all electronic. But that was 6 years ago, and everything since the Slip has been this repetitive drum loop/quiet sounding stuff. I was really hoping for some interpretation of the more "rock" sound that NIN can be. sucks.

Yeah, there hasn't been any loud NIN music since "The Slip."

BenAkenobi
08-01-2013, 11:35 PM
remember, they sold away some guitars after wave goodbye

bobbie solo
08-01-2013, 11:39 PM

Hey, i hope I'm wrong. I'd love for there to be some live drums that aren't just a repetitive loop the whole time a la CBH. But from what we've heard, can you see where I'm coming from? Rubin made an entire solo record by himself like Trent did, so who know what his contributions are instrument-wise?

i blame Atticus. I think we'd have some radically diff. stuff if he was out of the picture. Everything has stayed in the same safe area for years now as a result.

bobbie solo
08-01-2013, 11:49 PM
and again, i like Copy of A, Find My Way & Disappointed. Copy of A is really, really strong. But i just feel like the potential for some louder, more rock-sounding material is much greater than the middling enjoyment i get out of what we've heard so far.

Amaro
08-02-2013, 12:11 AM
I honestly do not care about having anything but good songs. Not instrumentation, not the mix--just fucking good/goddamn powerful songwriting, one way or another. So far, so good. For me the songs have blown away a lot of the past 4 years of NIN. I'm actually in disbelief...so I'm still in a cautiously optimistic mode for the rest.

Vertigo
08-02-2013, 01:09 AM
Yeah, there hasn't been any loud NIN music since "The Slip."

Got a few choice words for you.
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. bleepbleepbloop bleepy RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. blee-RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Etc.

If you'd like a more specific word, that would be Tetsuo.

Kyle
08-02-2013, 03:00 AM
Got a few choice words for you.
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. bleepbleepbloop bleepy RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. blee-RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Etc.

If you'd like a more specific word, that would be Tetsuo.

Dammit, forgot about that. Sarcasm fail.

ItsJustDave
08-02-2013, 06:30 AM
remember, they sold away some guitars after wave goodbye

I heard they used the money to buy turntables.

jessamineny
08-02-2013, 06:49 AM
I keep hearing all of this talk of "minimal" with Hesitation Marks. So far with songs like Disappointed and Copy of A, these tracks sound pretty layered. Even in Came Back Haunted, I still hear a lot going on in there compared to some tracks off of With Teeth. I don't know...this could just be me though.

Hasn't he reflexively been calling everything since WT minimal? I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Maybe they recorded live drums and then turned them into samples? Didn't they do that on TF? Or something? Someone with a better memory help me out...

Canuckle
08-02-2013, 07:58 AM
I heard they used the money to buy turntables.

Don't worry bobbie solo, I heard they will soon sell their turntables and buy guitars.

jmtd
08-02-2013, 08:06 AM
I wonder if there'll be a real, buy-it-in-the shops-with-b-sides single. If so it would probably land real damn soon.

EndlessLoveless
08-02-2013, 08:49 AM
I would love if we heard live drums sampled and manipulated like the old days. I feel like thats whats been missing. WT had some (but I feel like those were straight performances), YZ had just Hyperpower! and The Slip had some, but TDS and TF had a shitload. I do love the electronic stuff as well, but long for more sampled live drums, used like a drum machine or sequenced. And the wall of guitars sound. Not for every song, but some.

But who knows...no one knows for sure what he is doing in the studio and I could be totally wrong about all of this. And I love every album...no mater what he does. I just wish he would release Deep on something other that the Tomb Raider soundtrack...im very OCD about my iPod and hate seeing that album cover or even album name with my NIN. Just doesnt fit.

jesus
08-02-2013, 09:05 AM
I just wish he would release Deep on something other that the Tomb Raider soundtrack...im very OCD about my iPod and hate seeing that album cover or even album name with my NIN. Just doesnt fit.

Maybe in the fragile re-issue, who knows

buckaroo
08-02-2013, 09:08 AM
was it ever mentioned if the vinyl will be different from the other versions of the album? obviously there may be fades, etc., but i was wondering if there was any mention of different mixes, extended versions, etc. like the fragile.

HurtinMinorKey
08-02-2013, 09:31 AM
Looks like CBH has peaked in the charts, so now would be a good time for a new single.

Amaro
08-02-2013, 09:59 AM
If Ilan didn't make any real drumming sources then he could've done some drum programming, or just vocals or god knows whatever instrument Trent put in front of him.

richardp
08-02-2013, 11:24 AM
was it ever mentioned if the vinyl will be different from the other versions of the album? obviously there may be fades, etc., but i was wondering if there was any mention of different mixes, extended versions, etc. like the fragile.

Nope. It will be identical to the digital and CD releases.

Amaro
08-03-2013, 01:49 AM
Looks like CBH has peaked in the charts, so now would be a good time for a new single.

What chart, exactly?

katara
08-03-2013, 03:13 AM
i blame Atticus. I think we'd have some radically diff. stuff if he was out of the picture. Everything has stayed in the same safe area for years now as a result.
Don't forget that Atticus was also responsible for all those Golden Globes, Academy Awards, and Grammys in recent years.

Ryan
08-03-2013, 05:01 AM
Please leak! It's now 08.03.2013. Exactly a month to go.

jmtd
08-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Please leak before August 16th, when ill be off the net for a few weeks

Amaro
08-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Please leak before August 16th, when ill be off the net for a few weeks

I'll burn it to a CD and mail it to you if it leaks after that. (I'm serious.) No brother left behind.

skullboy0
08-03-2013, 10:37 AM
But i just feel like the potential for some louder, more rock-sounding material is much greater than the middling enjoyment i get out of what we've heard so far.

Over in the Lollapalooza thread (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1550-2013-08-2-Chicago-Illinois-Lollapalooza?p=107184#post107184) somebody got a hold of v2.0 of the setlist. The original version of the setlist was also attached, & it had Everything debuting between Survivalism & Only.

thefragile_jake
08-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Please leak! It's now 08.03.2013. Exactly a month to go.

I pre ordered it when it was announced but I keep checking leaked sites every day to see if it leaked at all yet. I've been telling myself to hold out and just wait till the 3rd....

but I probably won't. :)

slave2thewage
08-03-2013, 11:27 PM
I'd say we'd get a stream before we get a leak. He's wily, our Trent.

binaryhermit
08-03-2013, 11:28 PM
I'd say we'd get a stream before we get a leak. He's wily, our Trent.
And then someone would rip the stream, and...
Hell, someone in .au (or wherever it comes out 8/30) will probably rip and torrent the damn thing

Ryan
08-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Hell, someone in .au (or wherever it comes out 8/30) will probably rip and torrent the damn thing

Probably me.

http://cezl.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/troll.gif

cashpiles (closed)
08-04-2013, 02:31 AM
Realistically this thing will leak in about 10 days.

howdidislipinto
08-04-2013, 04:30 AM
All this time talking about music and you guys haven't ONCE mentioned how awesome this wallpaper pack is going to be!

BenAkenobi
08-04-2013, 04:34 AM
All this time talking about music and you guys haven't ONCE mentioned how awesome this wallpaper pack is going to be!

was looking at buying new monitor this summer. no more hesitation :)

SarahConnor
08-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Yeah, I've limited myself to only checking setlists in anticipation. I've heard/seen 'Haunted,' liked it.

SarahConnor
08-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Does anyone have pictures of the merch booths, with prices and images of the new tour shirts?

d-signet
08-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Does anyone have pictures of the merch booths, with prices and images of the new tour shirts?

THERE you are!!!! i've been looking for you

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b9/Terminator-2-judgement-day.jpg/250px-Terminator-2-judgement-day.jpg

sorry, i mean yes, there were some pics a few pages back (or maybe in the Fuji thread, can't remember )

ItsJustDave
08-04-2013, 04:56 PM

I've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of wallpapers. My MacBook will finally have an appropriate skin.

Edit: my previous laptop (an hp) had salt & teeth

Leo_OAK
08-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Let me say one thing: this is the first time we have a new NIN record around the corner and no meathead perspective making fun of it. I dunno about you guys, but I miss the crazy fucker

Leviathant
08-04-2013, 07:43 PM
Edit: my previous laptop (an hp) had salt & teeth

Which looked badass, and which I totally ripped off for my current laptop.

thefragile_jake
08-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Let me say one thing: this is the first time we have a new NIN record around the corner and no meathead perspective making fun of it. I dunno about you guys, but I miss the crazy fucker

I agree. I loved the Perspective. I'd love to see more one cartoon...

bobbie solo
08-04-2013, 11:09 PM
Don't forget that Atticus was also responsible for all those Golden Globes, Academy Awards, and Grammys in recent years.

You make it like I said Atticus was some no-talent hack. I like tons of the stuff he's worked on, both with Trent, and without (Book of Eli is amazing). I just want a change of pace for NIN at this point, and it doesnt seem like it's coming. Blind support is boring guys.

katara
08-05-2013, 02:09 AM
You make it like I said Atticus was some no-talent hack. I just want a change of pace for NIN at this point, and it doesnt seem like it's coming. Blind support is boring guys.
Perhaps, but why throw the 'blame' on Atticus when Alan Moulder has worked with him for just as long? Come to think of it, Trent Reznor's worked with Nine Inch Nails since 1988. That's 25 years. Surely it's time for him to pass the mantle over to someone else. Wouldn't want it to become stale.

At this point, we could have 'waved goodbye' to NIN several times over, but we haven't, and that's because Trent obviously enjoys writing new music [and also has a family to take care of now]. If it's becoming same-y, it's because he's carved a niche for himself that he's happy working within. If he wasn't happy working, there would be no more NIN. Most importantly, he's built a team of friends and colleagues that can operate within that niche, and as such, those names will crop up again and again, from Atticus Ross to Leo Herrera. That doesn't mean they're to 'blame' for what Trent decides *is* NIN.

I'm amazed he's decided to go back on stage and belt out Closer and Head Like A Hole just like the old days. After The Slip, that could have been it, and we would have had HTDA and soundtrack work until the end of days. But that isn't the case. NIN is back. The new material is awesome. We're in for a hell of a ride in the next month.

brokenfragility
08-05-2013, 03:03 AM
Perhaps, but why throw the 'blame' on Atticus when Alan Moulder has worked with him for just as long? Come to think of it, Trent Reznor's worked with Nine Inch Nails since 1988. That's 25 years. Surely it's time for him to pass the mantle over to someone else. Wouldn't want it to become stale.

At this point, we could have 'waved goodbye' to NIN several times over, but we haven't, and that's because Trent obviously enjoys writing new music [and also has a family to take care of now]. If it's becoming same-y, it's because he's carved a niche for himself that he's happy working within. If he wasn't happy working, there would be no more NIN. Most importantly, he's built a team of friends and colleagues that can operate within that niche, and as such, those names will crop up again and again, from Atticus Ross to Leo Herrera. That doesn't mean they're to 'blame' for what Trent decides *is* NIN.

I'm amazed he's decided to go back on stage and belt out Closer and Head Like A Hole just like the old days. After The Slip, that could have been it, and we would have had HTDA and soundtrack work until the end of days. But that isn't the case. NIN is back. The new material is awesome. We're in for a hell of a ride in the next month.

I think you misunderstood (and threw a lot of crap out that had nothing to do with the initial opinion) since I understand what was meant let me explain it, and don't put 3 paragraphs worth of words into my mouth after I say it. Mixing and production have a lot to do with the sound of the album, and I share the sentiment that a small part of me would like to see people in those roles other than Atticus Ross and Alan Moulder. Don't get me wrong, I love both of them, 12 Rounds, and Atticus Ross' soundtracks are all amazing in their own right. Alan Moulder's work for The Jesus and Mary Chain is some of my favorite production work of all time. You're also right that TR can do whatever he wants obviously (which is why before now I've only ever thought it without saying it) I think earlier in TR's career he made a point to pick producers who "fit" what he was going for with an album Flood for TDS, PHM.... and Dave Ogilvie on The Fragile. I personally think Flood was always the best fit for NIN, and its totally within my ability as a human to have that opinion without implying that I wish Trent Reznor would leave Nine Inch Nails. That was a douchy response to a legitimate opinion and you know it.

Anyways my rant brings up an interesting point, since he went all Russel Mills with the artwork (Rob Sheridan has obviously done the last few albums) it would have been cool if he had brought Flood back as well. I wonder if TR still has any kind of relationship with Flood...

*edit also I would like to state that I (kind of in an implied way) think you were right in a way that Alan Moulder should have been added to that discussion as well, especially since he is the producer and probably has a lot more to do with the sound than Atticus. (I say probably because who knows how big Atticus' roll in the studio actually is these days)

dominik
08-05-2013, 03:06 AM
woah, someone clearly needs a tampon..

katara
08-05-2013, 03:29 AM
I think you misunderstood (and threw a lot of crap out that had nothing to do with the initial opinion) since I understand what was meant let me explain it
The guy clearly said "I blame Atticus". What I did was merely call that out, because Atticus deserves at least some credit where NIN is concerned. I'm sorry that I offended you by saying that.

Max Leo
08-05-2013, 06:15 AM
(I say probably because who knows how big Atticus' roll in the studio actually is these days)
http://troll.me/images/conspiracy-keanu/what-if-atticus-does-all-the-work-and-trent-only-pays-him.jpg

That was made as a joke by someone else here in ETS if I remember well, but as of lately I'm always actually wondering how much is Trent's work and how much is Atticus, specially when they are sharing writting credits. :confused: Maybe AR just pushes the "record" button and listens while Trent does all the good stuff. XD

Regarding Meathead, Trent seemed to find him funny (because he could be really funny), but I'm not so sure about if he liked this review:

http://www.buddyhead.com/2010/05/21/how-to-destroy-insomnia/#.Uf-IAaxGP_Q

BenAkenobi
08-05-2013, 06:40 AM
Regarding Meathead, Trent seemed to find him funny (because he could be really funny), but I'm not so sure about if he liked this review:

http://www.buddyhead.com/2010/05/21/how-to-destroy-insomnia/#.Uf-IAaxGP_Q

... like perhaps a five-minute banjo solo ...
And then two and a half years later, BAM! ICE AGE

EndlessLoveless
08-05-2013, 01:25 PM
I love the new stuff im hearing. Finally heard copy of a and find my way at lolla. Very cool way to open the show. Cant wait to hear the rest of the album. Whenever i hear CBH, the chord structure in the chorus always sounds like "the beginning of the end" to me. I always find myself singing in my head "we think weve come so far...." when the chorus hits.

But I still love it. Pre ordered all versions because my collection needs to stay 100% complete.

Really wish they wouldve played "burn" and "everything" like the setlist said...

dominik
08-05-2013, 02:43 PM
I think I made that meme :)

Max Leo
08-05-2013, 08:52 PM
I think I made that meme :)
It's awesome. XD

steelnails95
08-05-2013, 09:56 PM
I need this cd now. Must hear Copy of A and Find My Way studio versions before I wear them out!!!!!!!!!!!

NINisamazing
08-05-2013, 11:19 PM
I like the new stuff. Is it just me, i could be reaching. Is it possible trent is referencing his mother on this verse of "find my way."

He did say she recently passed in that nytimes interview. What does everyone else think? It likely he did not really want to see all some of the lyrics and imagery nin brought forth years ago. Its possible i think.

"You were never meant to see All those things inside of me Now that you have gone away I'm just trying to find my way."

hobochic
08-06-2013, 04:26 AM
I'm stoked I haven't listened to anything related to the new album except CBH. My virgin Hesitation Marks ears will get to experience all these songs for the first time in full studio clarity and in the right sequence. Yes!

eversonpoe
08-06-2013, 08:28 AM
I like the new stuff. Is it just me, i could be reaching. Is it possible trent is referencing his mother on this verse of "find my way."

He did say she recently passed in that nytimes interview. What does everyone else think? It likely he did not really want to see all some of the lyrics and imagery nin brought forth years ago. Its possible i think.

"You were never meant to see All those things inside of me Now that you have gone away I'm just trying to find my way."

where does it say anything about his mother having passed away in that article?

ryanj101
08-06-2013, 08:34 AM
Trent's mom passed away back in early 2011...

screwdriver
08-06-2013, 08:47 AM
where does it say anything about his mother having passed away in that article?

I think he's referencing the NY Times speaking engagement -- see e.g. http://ninarmy.com/home/trent-talkings-with-the-new-york-times-jon-pareles.html

I was there, it was cool

eversonpoe
08-06-2013, 09:12 AM
I think he's referencing the NY Times speaking engagement -- see e.g. http://ninarmy.com/home/trent-talkings-with-the-new-york-times-jon-pareles.html

I was there, it was cool

i literally had no idea about that speaking engagement (not sure how i missed it). also didn't know his mom had actually passed away. :/

broevol
08-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned in the last 41 pages or so. Do you think the new re-work of Sanctified is one of the "remixes" as mentioned in the track listing for the deluxe version of HM?

skullboy0
08-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned in the last 41 pages or so. Do you think the new re-work of Sanctified is one of the "remixes" as mentioned in the track listing for the deluxe version of HM?

Not wanting to reopen the whole "remix" can of worms, but I'm guessing rights issues with Pretty Hate Machine would prevent them from "remixing" from the PHM tapes. Whether or not they'd re-record this version would be a different story. But then it wouldn't be a "remix".

Thinking of the rights issues issue made me think, about the only songs they'd be able to "remix" as in using the original elements would be from Ghosts, The Slip, & Hesitation Marks.

If I had to guess they're 3 remixes of HM tracks though.

NINisamazing
08-06-2013, 01:35 PM
I was indeed talking about that speaking arrangement. Sorry for the confusion, I was really tired and border line incoherent when I typed that.

ryanmcfly
08-06-2013, 01:36 PM

The chances of that are slim to none.

broevol
08-06-2013, 01:42 PM
The rework to me seemed a little dark....maybe it is just for the tour..

EndlessLoveless
08-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Its a really good version of sanctified, better than the original, but I find myself missing that quick industrial stab noise in the original during the chorus after each line. If they kept that in, IMHO, it would be even better than it is.

skullboy0
08-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Its a really good version of sanctified, better than the original, but I find myself missing that quick industrial stab noise in the original during the chorus after each line. If they kept that in, IMHO, it would be even better than it is.

Yeah, as sparse as the original arrangement is the reverb on Trent's voice is a bit much.

Bad Wolf
08-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Very excited about the album. Not worried about the live shows spoiling the fun as there's usually some degree of variation between live and studio versions.
Obsessed with Copy of A and the new twists on old favorites in the live sets.
I love that CBH is like a brief history of NIN. There's Closer-esque guitar at the end, a bassline reminiscent of Into the Void, Trent's frequently used phrases 101, marimba?, Echoplexish guitar solo in the middle....
The other songs sound great too. Thought they were going to bust out into West Side Story formation when they played Disappointed ;P
Very excited for the return of strings.

hobochic
08-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Not worried about the live shows spoiling the fun as there's usually some degree of variation between live and studio versions.

Not trying to ruin it for you (as you seem well prepared for the consequences), but, those exact variations you speak of are usually the reasons that can spoil the first studio listen, as they might lack your favorite elements from the live version. An analogy might be to imagine online dating someone and getting a bunch of great photos before the date, and then being disappointed by the real deal, no matter how cute the person might be. It's not the end of the world I know, and it might even be a little silly. But for me the first listen of an album is such a precious thing that I'll go thirsty and starve myself from spoilers until the thing gets released... in any way and in full clarity.

Amaro
08-06-2013, 05:37 PM
While I've heard everything from the new album that's been played live, I'm swearing off all of it until the leak (including CBH). I will however listen to any new new songs performed from here on out, at least a few times, same treatment as the others. ;0) I can't stop me.

Fist Fuck
08-06-2013, 07:18 PM
I've watched both streams a few times and I don't think it's spoiling anything. While I know where hobochic is coming from, I think this won't be a problem. Once the album comes out I'll be listening to it non-stop, so even if some parts are different on the album, I'll get used to the album version rather quickly. Also, it's not like we're listening to a leak that we're not meant to hear yet. If Trent didn't want us to hear the new stuff, he wouldn't play it live or not allow live streams.

The hesitation mark has been made. But hey, everyone's different. Maybe there's even people out there who haven't listened to CBH yet because they don't want to spoil any song before hearing the full album, who knows. All I know is that a few months back nobody would have guessed Trent has already finished a new album and was going on tour, and now, after 4 years of nothing (HTDA and scoring excluded) we have a new single, video, artwork, tour and album coming up. Fun times.

hobochic
08-06-2013, 08:20 PM
All I know is that a few months back nobody would have guessed Trent has already finished a new album and was going on tour, and now, after 4 years of nothing (HTDA and scoring excluded) we have a new single, video, artwork, tour and album coming up. Fun times.

Believe me, I wish I was enjoying the new material right now, and probably would have if I hadn't been on vacation with limited internet access from a hotel lobby for the last three weeks. I'm now back to reality and don't feel the pressure to listen to the new tracks that much for the reasons I explained before, I don't really care if Trent intends the music to be heard live before or not, the first album experience is my own. I'm loving the wait with plenty of other new music. September will get me back on track with NIN, until then, enjoy the new material!

/Envious Bastard XOXO

Amaro
08-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Absolutely, if you can hold off, do it...as much as possible. I just can't. I'm kinda envious of those who can. Kinda not. It's alright...because the music so far surpasses "alright" completely. :p

Like it was said (as I can relate)--once the album is out (formally or leaked), the rotation and intensive listening that will go down will probably be immense, for everybody who's a fan... How you were exposed to it, in pieces so far in my case--all that will eventually wash aside, pretty much.

Again, though, nothing is like a pure first listen. I couldn't deny that.

Talking this much does me bad...like I wanna break my further abstaining rule already. Shit...

thefragile_jake
08-07-2013, 12:03 AM
It's crazy to think but the last Nine Inch Nails release I had no idea of what I was going to expect before hand, meaning I hadn't previously heard a leaked copy, was probably And All That Could Have Been in 2002...and these were already songs I was familiar with.

ItsJustDave
08-07-2013, 12:25 AM
When it finally leaks, I'm going to have to NOT come here for like a week, so I can build my own untwined opinions before hearing everyone else explain why "Everything" or "Black Noise" is the dumbest thing they've ever heard.

When Radiohead's "King of Limbs" came out, I went into full-on media blackout mode for a week, 'til I'd given it 20+ listens on my own, so no one's opinion would override my own.

We are pattern building machines. The first time I listened to Radiohead's "In Rainbows" is shortly after I'd been diagnosed with cancer (and before they'd operated and discovered the extent of it). For me, "Videotape" is the most depressing song ever written. I can't hear it without all of those feelings from that first listen intertwined.

jmtd
08-07-2013, 03:23 AM
I'm skipping the new tracks when I listen to the current boots: not because I don't want to spoil the album, but because they aren't grabbing me as much as the newly arranged old stuff.(In particular terrible lie which I can't get out of my head). As much as its refreshing to hear a new sanctified, I honestly prefer the original. I'm still when I'm going to first hear this new album and how that will impact my impression of it. I might be on honeymoon.

Fangster_
08-07-2013, 06:04 AM

Unlikely, but I've been thinking about something. How neat would an EP featuring a handful of rearranged/re-recorded, primarily non-singles PHM tracks be? As in, like: Sanctified, Kinda I Want To, That's What I Get, Only Time, Ringfinger. All 2013'd. But I guess fuck you, Steve.

Also, fuck me, I'll be getting my HesMa on the 30th already. Been kinda out of the loop lately (bar watching every bit of live material possible), so is this the set Euro release date? Only three weeks and two days. Friday, skip school with my girl, take the bus downtown, storm the record store, take the clerk by his throat and scream WHERE IS IT.

OSLIN
08-07-2013, 06:35 AM
Had a dream last night that Everything was the next single off of HM. I think that means I'm excited or need to get the hell off these boards.

Indefinite_Cure
08-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Like it was said (as I can relate)--once the album is out (formally or leaked), the rotation and intensive listening that will go down will probably be immense, for everybody who's a fan... How you were exposed to it, in pieces so far in my case--all that will eventually wash aside, pretty much.

Again, though, nothing is like a pure first listen. I couldn't deny that.

This makes me think of Depeche Mode's Sounds of the Universe. I adored that album and before its complete leak, some of the tracks had leaked, but in demo form. So in the end, on my first listen through, even the songs I had already heard were different. Let me add that when I heard the album opener "In Chains" I got chills on my first listen, it hit a string for me, and I was excited from then on and I still adore that album.

I think some artists should concider this...I mean leaking demos and then surprising everyone with which direction you took the songs in with the final album versions. I thought it was great!

Bad Wolf
08-07-2013, 09:21 PM
First listens for me don't really count because the novelty of something new and shiny and different (especially after a lengthy gap) can prevent me from objectively forming an opinion about it. There are albums and songs that I absolutely HATED upon first listen, but after letting it soak in for a bit and listening to it
a few more times I changed my mind.

NINisamazing
08-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Had a dream last night that Everything was the next single off of HM. I think that means I'm excited or need to get the hell off these boards.
Prop a combination of both.

NINisamazing
08-07-2013, 09:33 PM
Is it just me or these new songs that have been played live do not sound that minimalistic? are these just the live versions or does it it sound like this on the record?

Bachy
08-07-2013, 11:23 PM

Just checked on iTunes, it looks like you have your answer: http://i.imgur.com/CjyLz0O.jpg

thefragile_jake
08-07-2013, 11:25 PM
Just checked on iTunes, it looks like you have your answer: http://i.imgur.com/CjyLz0O.jpg

Oh shit! OPN! Can't wait to hear that remix...

fuckit
08-07-2013, 11:33 PM
I'm really interested in hearing black noise, as well as the rest of the album, obviously. But hearing that title makes me think of the end of hurt, and since HM is inspired lyrically and thematically by TDS... You know, I should just stop before I'm embarrassed by this post a month from now.

butter_hole
08-07-2013, 11:36 PM
TODD RUNDGREN?

Gen p-orridge?

fuck me.

Also, I think that art at the top of the page is new as well.

cashpiles (closed)
08-07-2013, 11:51 PM
I want this thang. I wonder if I can pay for it with a Chinese bank account, as I'm currently living in China.

Kyle
08-08-2013, 12:17 AM
As soon as I saw the Todd Rundgren remix, I could tell it was a fake.

Then I went to iTunes myself to see if the real listing was up.....

ManBurning
08-08-2013, 01:02 AM
So, after mulling over the pre-release for quite a few days, and seeing todays NIN hotline update about the track listing for the remix album I decided now was as good as time as ever to pre-order the album... until I went to the nin.com store and they were asking for $12.99 to ship a CD by standard postage... really?? $13 to ship a CD to Canada? That seems steep. I can ship a CD to the USA for $5...

I emptied my shopping card after that... I wonder, will the deluxe CD readily be available in store on Tuesday Sept 3rd, or is it a NIN.com exclusive??

Part of me thinks I should be ordering the CD directly through nin.com to support the band directly, and not buy it from a massive retail CD chain, but for that gauging on shipping, it's almost worth it to just hold off til release date to buy a physical copy in the store.

EDIT: I just answered my own question... HMV will have the Deluxe CD for purchase on September 3rd for $25 canadian. So it's cheaper for me to buy it locally.
http://www.hmv.ca/Products/Detail/712891.aspx
Now the question is, how many copies will my local store actually get... hmm...

Kyle
08-08-2013, 01:19 AM
So, after mulling over the pre-release for quite a few days, and seeing todays NIN hotline update about the track listing for the remix album I decided now was as good as time as ever to pre-order the album... until I went to the nin.com store and they were asking for $12.99 to ship a CD by standard postage... really?? $13 to ship a CD to Canada? That seems steep. I can ship a CD to the USA for $5...

I emptied my shopping card after that... I wonder, will the deluxe CD readily be available in store on Tuesday Sept 3rd, or is it a NIN.com exclusive??

Part of me thinks I should be ordering the CD directly through nin.com to support the band directly, and not buy it from a massive retail CD chain, but for that gauging on shipping, it's almost worth it to just hold off til release date to buy a physical copy in the store.

EDIT: I just answered my own question... HMV will have the Deluxe CD for purchase on September 3rd for $25 canadian. So it's cheaper for me to buy it locally.
http://www.hmv.ca/Products/Detail/712891.aspx
Now the question is, how many copies will my local store actually get... hmm...

I'm not worried about buying locally as much as getting the best deal and I got the deluxe edition through Amazon.

Emil Dorbell
08-08-2013, 02:59 AM
Is it just me or these new songs that have been played live do not sound that minimalistic? are these just the live versions or does it it sound like this on the record?

Yeah, I wonder what he means by minimalistic, because to me, what we've heard so far sure isn't. I don't mind though :)

fuckit
08-08-2013, 03:06 AM
I have a feeling that minimalism really translates to "shut the fuck up. This isn't going to be broken, TDS, or fragile. It's been over a decade, so stop expecting that. Also stop commenting on the band's Facebook updates that I should go shoot heroin and make harder music."

Ryan
08-08-2013, 03:26 AM
So official remix names and times -

"Find My Way (Oneohtrix Point Never Remix)"
4:47

"All Time Low (Todd Rundgren Remix)"
5:49

"While I'm Still Here (Breyer P-Orridge 'Howler' Remix)"
7:03

jmtd
08-08-2013, 03:46 AM
P-orridge mix could be interesting. He just needs some carter-tutti mixes to complete the set now.

BenAkenobi
08-08-2013, 05:12 AM
anybody else feels the photobook is the main attraction factor for "deluxe version", rather than remixes?