PDA

View Full Version : halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Leo_OAK
08-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Everything is great. When it started, I was all like "what the fuck?"... 300 listens later, I am fucking addicted to it. Well done Trent. Who knew you could go all Erasure like and still make something great? Awesome.

Mech
08-19-2013, 03:39 PM
I really am enjoying this. It's a huge change of pace with the happy/the cure-ish verses, but the chorus absolutely rocks.

FULLMETAL
08-19-2013, 03:40 PM
I'm quite pleased that they're making downloads available for the streaming singles. I did not expect to get "Everything" so soon after they released "Copy of A."

EndlessLoveless
08-19-2013, 03:43 PM
I preferred Hillary Duff's second album. I don't like the new direction she's gone here with this new track.

Wow...i just dont get it. Does that chorus sound like anything other than the NIN we all love?? So there is some happy, upbeat verses. The chorus fucking jams.

jesus
08-19-2013, 03:44 PM
I have the source of NRP , is at 128 kbps and its the official "Everything" source , not recorded... PM if you want it

Collin
08-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Of the songs I've heard so far, I'd rank:

1. Copy of A (easy number 1)
2. Came Back Haunted
3. Find My Way (just based off of live version)
4. Disappointed (same as FMW)
5. Everything (not terrible really, the pop elements I like actually. It just doesn't stick with me as much as other tracks)

voidnz
08-19-2013, 03:46 PM
It's a good song. Not really what i'd expect from NIN. I dunno what to think about such a poppy track from NIN to be honest. It might get quite a bit of radio play.

nobies
08-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Rankin dem sawngs:

1. Everything
2. Disappointed
3. Copy of A
4. Came Back Haunted
5. Find My Way

BRoswell
08-19-2013, 03:49 PM
I love how Trent moves slightly out of the darkness and suddenly he's on the same level as Hanson and Hillary fucking Duff. C'mon now.

binaryhermit
08-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Ringtone'd

EndlessLoveless
08-19-2013, 03:57 PM
I love how Trent moves slightly out of the darkness and suddenly he's on the same level as Hanson and Hillary fucking Duff. C'mon now.

Exactly. The chorus is just what ive known is coming, and have been waiting to hear. It rocks. Its def different, but awesome. And before anyone thinks that im one of those fans that loves everything (ha) that he puts out, i never really liked starfuckers, getting smaller or the warning.

(if the chorus lyrics, and song name were different, i would prob love starfuckers inc)

Bad Wolf
08-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Well, Everything sure seems to be the Starfuckers of the album so far. My excitement deflated a bit especially with that following Copy of A. Not liking this one upon first listen but will put it away and give it another chance when I listen to the whole album.

chroipahtz
08-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Everything: Worst track we've heard so far but STILL would have been a better single than Came Back Haunted.
I guess they didn't pick this as the single because it would have been too obvious.

Here's a question: if the first single was Everything, would that immediately make people think Trent had gone off the deep end and was releasing a completely happy pop album? Would legions of NIN fans fall over dead thinking that NIN was now tarnished beyond repair?

I can't say for certain that, had I heard Everything first, I wouldn't be making scary assumptions about what the rest of the album sounds like. Now that I've heard it 5th, I'm kind of stoked that this album is going to be bizarre and varied.

Leo_OAK
08-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Come on guys. I am completely mesmerized by this track. If this was the new single by New Order or U2, people would go batshit nuts and the song would top charts. Give ol' Trent some slack. The man just proved he could destroy Bono Vox if he wanted to do so.

tony.parente
08-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Rankin dem sawngs:

1. Everything
2. Disappointed
3. Copy of A
4. Came Back Haunted
5. Find My Way

Counterlist:

1. Copy of A
2. Find My Way
3. Disappointed
4. Everything
5. Came Back Haunted

thefragile_jake
08-19-2013, 04:07 PM
1. Disappointed
2. Copy of A
3. Came Back Haunted
4. Everything
5. Find My Way

.....if I had to rank, but I love all these songs a lot so far.

I am digging the Cure vibe in "Everything".

tricil
08-19-2013, 04:11 PM
Dunno if it's been announced yet, but like Copy of a, you can download Everything if you've preordered via NIN.com: https://store.nin.com/account_history.php

Vertigo
08-19-2013, 04:15 PM

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that if Everything starts a trend, we may one day finally see Trent perform a cover of Mmmbop. Guaranteed Grammy gold.

raltenbach
08-19-2013, 04:28 PM
To those crying "Strobe Light B-Side!", keep in mind this IS coming from the same man who once covered Der Kommissar. (A-wa-oh!) Not something I would've ever expected from a NIN single, but I can dig the poppy verses offset by such a discordant chorus. Trent will always keep us guessing and throw our expectations out the window. This is shaping up to be the most diverse Nails album yet.

jesus
08-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Anyone else noticed that the tag in "Everything" says "Copy of A Ep" and that is the track 2

toomanyrifts
08-19-2013, 04:56 PM
Listifiedness

First listen:
1. Copy of A
2. Find My Way
3. Disappointed
4. Everything
5. Came Back Haunted

20th listen:
1. Everything
2. Copy of A
3. Find My Way
4. Disappointed
5. Came Back Haunted

The more i think about dem lyrics, the more brilliant it becomes. Well played, Sir. Reznor!

Toadflax
08-19-2013, 04:57 PM
So, apologies if this has already been discussed a bunch on here, but Everything has got me thinking about it again:

Like most of us, I was pretty pumped when I saw the 100% Downward Spiral-esque artwork for Hesitation Marks. It got me hoping this would finally be a return to pre-With Teeth form. Then in an interview Trent said he wanted to make an album that was a response (and therefore homage) to TDS but at the same time sounded completely the opposite. Isn't that bizarre? I might end up liking Everything just fine, but I can't help that it's a huge disappointment for an album that in any way identifies itself with The Downward Spiral. In a way it almost feels like cheating to me. As much as I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the post-2000 stuff, I can at least respect it lives in it's own world. This feels like, I don't know, like seeing The Phantom Menace for the first time. If it was just a goofy sci-fi movie made by the guy who made Star Wars, we might all think it was (relatively) great, but when you call it Star Wars... it should be Star Wars.

I'm still absolutely looking forward to this album and have hopes that the work as a whole will make more sense to me, but I wanted to share and see what everyone else thought.

toomanyrifts
08-19-2013, 04:59 PM
I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that if Everything starts a trend, we may one day finally see Trent perform a cover of Mmmbop. Guaranteed Grammy gold.

I'm thinking of a mashup of Copy of A and Mmmbop.

Sheer gold.

NINisamazing
08-19-2013, 05:20 PM
When's that option 30 reunion?

telee.kom
08-19-2013, 05:23 PM
1. Copy Of A
2. Disappointed
3. Find My Way
4. Came Back Haunted

I'm refuse to accept that Everything is a NIN song, so I just leave it like that

NINisamazing
08-19-2013, 05:23 PM
So, apologies if this has already been discussed a bunch on here, but Everything has got me thinking about it again:Like most of us, I was pretty pumped when I saw the 100% Downward Spiral-esque artwork for Hesitation Marks. It got me hoping this would finally be a return to pre-With Teeth form. Then in an interview Trent said he wanted to make an album that was a response (and therefore homage) to TDS but at the same time sounded completely the opposite. Isn't that bizarre? I might end up liking Everything just fine, but I can't help that it's a huge disappointment for an album that in any way identifies itself with The Downward Spiral. In a way it almost feels like cheating to me. As much as I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the post-2000 stuff, I can at least respect it lives in it's own world. This feels like, I don't know, like seeing The Phantom Menace for the first time. If it was just a goofy sci-fi movie made by the guy who made Star Wars, we might all think it was (relatively) great, but when you call it Star Wars... it should be Star Wars.I'm still absolutely looking forward to this album and have hopes that the work as a whole will make more sense to me, but I wanted to share and see what everyone else thought.he stated in a interview he picked that artwork because its opposite of what the record sounds like. And he also said that he thought about Where he was at mentally during Tds while writing. It was in that nytimes article, as well as that terrible lollapalooza interview.

NINisamazing
08-19-2013, 05:26 PM
All joking aside, the song is ok.

EndlessLoveless
08-19-2013, 05:26 PM
So, apologies if this has already been discussed a bunch on here, but Everything has got me thinking about it again:

Like most of us, I was pretty pumped when I saw the 100% Downward Spiral-esque artwork for Hesitation Marks. It got me hoping this would finally be a return to pre-With Teeth form. Then in an interview Trent said he wanted to make an album that was a response (and therefore homage) to TDS but at the same time sounded completely the opposite. Isn't that bizarre? I might end up liking Everything just fine, but I can't help that it's a huge disappointment for an album that in any way identifies itself with The Downward Spiral. In a way it almost feels like cheating to me. As much as I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the post-2000 stuff, I can at least respect it lives in it's own world. This feels like, I don't know, like seeing The Phantom Menace for the first time. If it was just a goofy sci-fi movie made by the guy who made Star Wars, we might all think it was (relatively) great, but when you call it Star Wars... it should be Star Wars.

I'm still absolutely looking forward to this album and have hopes that the work as a whole will make more sense to me, but I wanted to share and see what everyone else thought.

The only reason TDS keeps getting mentioned is because of the artwork, and the fact that TR said that this album is a reflection of where he was in his life when he wrote TDS. It was never supposed to sound like TDS. I love that TR isnt retreading old ground and going back to that sound. He is a TOTALLY different person now and the music should reflect that. If every album since TDS sounded like TDS, he would be a joke at this point, in this stage of his life still writing about how shitty life continues to be. But NIN keeps re-inventing itself just like Bowie did, and if we are lucky enough to get even more NIN albums after this, i would imagine this trend will continue. I love evolution.

NINisamazing
08-19-2013, 05:32 PM
When is tr going to do that duet with lady gaga? ;). :):rolleyes:

brokenfragility
08-19-2013, 05:32 PM

I would have been disappointed if it had just sounded like TDS again. Plus, Everything greatly achieves the whole "opposite" of TDS thing.

NINisamazing
08-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Yeah, he totally missed that point. On ward and upward.

imail724
08-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Add me to the list of people who were unsure about the song at first but came to love it after a bunch of listens.

pigpen
08-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Can someone pm me a link for this new track!?

gorast
08-19-2013, 06:02 PM
Here's a question: if the first single was Everything, would that immediately make people think Trent had gone off the deep end and was releasing a completely happy pop album? Would legions of NIN fans fall over dead thinking that NIN was now tarnished beyond repair?

You know, I fucking wish that had happened so we wouldn't have to deal with the brain-dead dipshits on Facebook.

EndlessLoveless
08-19-2013, 06:09 PM
God all this hate for the track just makes me want to stop PMing it. It'll be just one more person to hate it. I don't get it...its new NIN!!!! And it jams!!

brokenfragility
08-19-2013, 06:11 PM
God all this hate for the track just makes me want to stop PMing it. It'll be just one more person to hate it. I don't get it...its new NIN!!!! And it jams!!

This times a thousand ^^

gorast
08-19-2013, 06:18 PM
Long time Lurker here. Finally signed up. Hope newbies aren't getting hit to hard around here. :)

Since everyone puts in their 2 cents...I really really am disappointed in the new NIN music. I feel most people are 'trying' to like it. They say 'at first i wasn't sure but after 100 listens, its now GREAT'.

I get that you don't want to dwell on the past and don't want to repeat yourself, musically. But I think these singles, esp. Everything, is so subpar for NIN. At least YEar zero felt somewhat innovative, different yet it still had that NIN sound. These new singles remind me of with Teeth a lot which personally I did not liked at all. Copy of a has its moments when its about to enter greatness but then it never does. Im not saying i could do a better job but it's just not up there. Looking at the live shows, the new songs do not go well as the old stuff does. At least it appears to me like that.

I have the deluxe edition pre-ordered so im a supporter. But these new songs do not make me and go for a ticket. But i guess as a fan you either like it or you don't. Im sure TZ does not care.

Welcome to the forum, glad you're not being a dick about not liking the song.

On the contrary, I think he does care. But it's not that he only cares if you love the song - he cares if the song gets a strong reaction. That's what music is for - generating an opinion that's more than "eh, ok." Everything has certainly done that so far - I don't think I've seen a single person say "ah, well that's alright." It's either been "Holy shit this is the fucking bomb" or "this sounds like Trent shit on the microphone for three and a half minutes." And you know what? That's great. That means people still care about NIN enough to yell and scream about new music.

Mission accomplished, basically.

Kueller917
08-19-2013, 06:18 PM
I don't think Trent will manage to top the 2nd and 3rd albums for me but I've still been enjoying these tracks and find I enjoy them more when I don't constantly compare them to the angrier periods. Copy of A I really love even if it doesn't build up as strongly. Maybe the fact it was so good live influenced my thoughts on it.

toksin
08-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Hey! Thanks. And theres no need to be a dick! It's all good, in the end, new NIN is better then none.

I get what your saying and I agree to an extend but in the end I want the new music to be good. Stirring shit up is great but with all the talent TR has around him, it's just sad to see him going down the minimal/pop route. He can do better then that and I think thats what's so frustrating about these singles. Of course, it's his gig so he can do as he pleases. I guess i could cancel the pre-order but im still (obviously) curious to see if the record might not hold a gem or two! So no more singles until the full thing....i say!

Volk
08-19-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm not sure if it was mentioned yet, but Amazon now has the vinyl for Hesitation Marks for preorder. Its a couple bucks cheaper, and you can get free SS shipping. (if you don't care about having the vinyl on the 3rd). Also, if you want to spam your FB, you can use this social media promotion for a $5 credit off of a $25 purchase. You can post it, and then immediately delete it from FB.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/socialmedia/promotions/BTS_2013/ref=tsm_1_fb_s_amzn_mrlr2e

tricil
08-19-2013, 06:26 PM
I'm not sure if it was mentioned yet, but Amazon now has the vinyl for Hesitation Marks for preorder. Its a couple bucks cheaper, and you can get free SS shipping. (if you don't care about having the vinyl on the 3rd). Also, if you want to spam your FB, you can use this social media promotion for a $5 credit off of a $25 purchase. You can post it, and then immediately delete it from FB.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/socialmedia/promotions/BTS_2013/ref=tsm_1_fb_s_amzn_mrlr2e

or just post to "only me" ;)

konkelo
08-19-2013, 06:26 PM
It seems that all nin.com preorderers get to download Copy of a, Came back haunted and Everything right now as well from nin.com 8)

To me Everything has quite a With Teeth vibe going on. I don't still know what to think about it though.

thevoid99
08-19-2013, 06:40 PM
So... that is what happy Trent sounds like... OK.... I can dig it.

_Ruiner
08-19-2013, 06:47 PM
I've listened to it 20+ times and the one thing I've come away with is excitement.
This is one of the things I've missed since NIN has been away, the anticipation.

pinkfloid
08-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Totally agree, _Ruiner,

There's only so much excitement I could generate after The Fragile era seeing as the relentlessly bleak worldview and non-evolving lyrics were growing a bit stale to me.

I remember getting into TDS and NIN so much way back when just because of how different the band was and the restless creativity involved (especially over the first couple albums / eps). Hopefully this album has some surprises up its sleeves.

rampface
08-19-2013, 07:07 PM
This is great and a welcome change! People dissing this track for being too positive need to open their minds a bit. The song itself is not one of NIN's best, but the vibe and attitude give the track an emotion we rarely hear in Trent's music: happiness. He should explore this feeling more! It's okay that he's content with life and proud of his achievements! Maybe it's because I'm not a teenager anymore, but I don't relate to angst at all. It seems childish and a bit like moving in reverse. He's not full of anger as young men often are. Trent has already made those records. This is what happens when you reach the other side.

What if the rest of the album is in this style!!!

Wolfkiller
08-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Man... With the release of Everything combined with some of the other previous new lyrics, I'm thinking this is a concept album about coming back to try NIN one more time and Trent realizes this isn't who he is anymore. The songs are "Hesitation Marks" before finally killing NIN. Kind of a bummer from a long time fan perspective. :/ Hope I'm wrong!

pigpen
08-19-2013, 07:15 PM
You know, I fucking love this new track.
It makes me think of Nine Inch Nails meets the Beach Boys or something! Fuck yeah, Trent.
Way to keep pushing forward, and exploring new ideas!
Can't wait for hesitation marks.

Also, I feel like we've been on this ride with TR for years, and it's truly pretty amazing to hear Trent sing the words "I am home, I am free."

Toadflax
08-19-2013, 07:15 PM
The only reason TDS keeps getting mentioned is because of the artwork, and the fact that TR said that this album is a reflection of where he was in his life when he wrote TDS. It was never supposed to sound like TDS. I love that TR isnt retreading old ground and going back to that sound. He is a TOTALLY different person now and the music should reflect that. If every album since TDS sounded like TDS, he would be a joke at this point, in this stage of his life still writing about how shitty life continues to be. But NIN keeps re-inventing itself just like Bowie did, and if we are lucky enough to get even more NIN albums after this, i would imagine this trend will continue. I love evolution.

Yeah, I'm certainly not saying I want it to just sound like TDS again. I'm all about evolution and being honest to who you are at the time. I guess at the core the most baffling thing to me is the choice to choose TDS-esque artwork because it's the opposite of what the album sounds like. Put it this way- that seems like a crazy thing to do no matter who you are. It would be like Rob Zombie having a bouquet of pink flowers as his album cover or Willow Smith having, well, one of her mom's bands' album covers as her album cover.

pinkfloid
08-19-2013, 07:17 PM
I'd love to hear a TDS-sequel that sounds nothing like the original album but with Chris Vrenna back on board....now that would be crazy!!

nineismine
08-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Anyone got a link to the track ?

pigpen
08-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Yeah, I'm certainly not saying I want it to just sound like TDS again. I'm all about evolution and being honest to who you are at the time. I guess at the core the most baffling thing to me is the choice to choose TDS-esque artwork because it's the opposite of what the album sounds like. Put it this way- that seems like a crazy thing to do no matter who you are. It would be like Rob Zombie having a bouquet of pink flowers as his album cover or Willow Smith having, well, one of her mom's bands' album covers as her album cover.

I think the point people are missing with the TDS tie-in, is that I think thematically is where most of the relevance comes from. It isn't supposed
to SOUND like it, or even expand on the same ideas, I feel like this record is kind of like a fathers calm collected rebuttal to his teenage sons
angst and discontent...

Reznor2112
08-19-2013, 07:50 PM
I think it is quite cool that this sounds nothing like past NIN. Sounds very Bowie/Eno/Talking Heads with a NIN twist which I think is fuckin cool.

Absolutely love the chorus

For those not diggin it: PLAY IT LOUD!

AlanMorlock
08-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Long time lurker here. Finally signed up. Hope newbies aren't getting hit too hard around here. :)

Since everyone puts in their 2 cents...I really really am disappointed in the new NIN music. I feel most people are 'trying' to like it. They say 'at first i wasn't sure but after 100 listens, its now GREAT'.

To be quite honest that's how I feel about pretty much all of NIN. It took me a really long time to get into The Fragile in particular.

Amaro
08-19-2013, 08:26 PM
I'm sure this song will make sense in the album context...and that's saying something. I really like what this album seems to offer so far--fucking everything. This will make for a memorable album. And new territory. That's all I've wanted. Thanks, T-Rez. Shaping up.

I was out during the song's emergence, so I don't have time to look at everybody's individual take, nor do I want to. I will say I like this song though. Mega surprise. I know already I will sing my heart out at my shows...it just has a fucking drive.

P.S. Everything>Only x1,000,000

gorast
08-19-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm sure this song will make sense in the album context...and that's saying something. I really like what this album seems to offer so far--fucking everything. This will make for a memorable album. And new territory. That's all I've wanted. Thanks, T-Rez. Shaping up.

I was out during the song's emergence, so I don't have time to look at everybody's individual take, nor do I want to. I will say I like this song though. Mega surprise. I know already I will sing my heart out at my shows...it just has a fucking drive.

Probably best not to take a look at the Everything topic. Like, at all.

CRIMinal
08-19-2013, 08:34 PM
From what I have heard, I am really excited about the new album.

On another note, I am unable to login to my modlife account (bastards/awful customer service). Could someone please PM the new track?

*Edit: Thanks.

Wretchedest
08-19-2013, 08:36 PM
I think the point people are missing with the TDS tie-in, is that I think thematically is where most of the relevance comes from. It isn't supposed
to SOUND like it, or even expand on the same ideas, I feel like this record is kind of like a fathers calm collected rebuttal to his teenage sons
angst and discontent...

You know I've seen exactly one post that even remotely reads like "I wish this was TDS"

Maybe I'm blind or something. Apparently this desire is widespread but i can't seem to find it at all.

OneTaste
08-19-2013, 08:36 PM
I would like a PM too! I feel so dirty for asking.

nineismine
08-19-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm not sure I would go THAT far but :)

Shnoorum
08-19-2013, 08:51 PM
Just came from the Everything thread. Glad to see things haven't gone ballistic over here atleast. I'm kind of half and half with the song at the moment. Can't get past the guitar in the bridges, just don't feel it. I think the chorus and the lyrics are solid however

At any rate after looking at the tracklist and realising that there are 9 other tracks (even if 2 appear to be an intro and an outro) that have not been released in any way shape or form yet, I'm now in an uber happy mood. I didn't actually realise there were that many! I'm actually super hyped about hearing the studio version of Disappointed in particular. Thats definately my current favourite.

Sorry I don't have anything particularly interesting to say. Just getting more and more hyped about the album as the days go by, needed to vent some hype here

brokenfragility
08-19-2013, 08:54 PM
Sorry I don't have anything particularly interesting to say. Just getting more and more hyped about the album as the days go by, needed to vent some hype here

I feel you there, half my posts in here have not had much to say, I just MUST VENT my excitement! Woooo Hesitation Marks!

Amaro
08-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Probably best not to take a look at the Everything topic. Like, at all.

Yeah, it looks too messy to join in. I'll stay here, where locking shouldn't happen. And it's the album I'm in for anyway, not just the song. <3

I won't say this with a complete sense of musical superiority, for lack of a better way of saying (What? I really, really like my taste in music)--some people need to understand a challenge when it is given, and try to grow a little. Trent has ALWAYS challenged listeners in some capacity or another, if one was following closely enough. This reality shouldn't have ever instilled any real dependable comfort down the road, I feel. The interesting part is the listener's/fan's perspective, to try to tie something like this into the man's work as we knew it, aside from maybe liking it or just not liking it, after enough listens for the sake of listening. I believe there's your taste and then there's your ability to assess art for what it is. As enjoyable as music can be through the clearest, most obvious way(s), there's also another way of enjoying or appreciating or at least respecting it, which doesn't involve grooving or headbanging or so on (unless you just can't stop yourself). This newest song is some kind of curveball though; I'm by no means not saying it's not remotely challenging to me. Even so, color me genuinely excited.

By what I know so far I think HM may end up being Trent's most challenging album yet, next to WT. (To his average fan anyway.)

The thing about Everything that strikes me most right now is how nice and in-the-mix and *in-the-music* Trent's voice is, it's just very flowing along it...and once the chorus sets off, everything fucking blows over, dude. I can't really hear T, and that's okay. That's heavy musick, right there.

Trent sounds great, great, GREAT, by the way. MMfuckyes!

I'm not sure I would go THAT far but :)

Yeah, just kinda making a point... I just don't like Only much at all. Never really have.

EDIT: OH MY FUCK. I JUST REALIZED...AGAIN: I NEED THIS ENTIRE ALBUM. ANY DAY NOW, YOU FULKS... I SWEAR TO GUD.

nineismine
08-19-2013, 09:10 PM
EDIT: OH MY FUCK. I JUST REALIZED...AGAIN: I NEED THIS ENTIRE ALBUM.

Seconded. ++++

Brandon Weigel
08-19-2013, 09:16 PM
pm please?

11.28.2008 rapid city sd
09.28.2013 st. paul mn

NINisamazing
08-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Back to sanity.

I finally heard that zane interview, and he said he considered dropping everything off the record, because it sounded to obvious. hmmm...

i like the song.

Radiovoyr
08-19-2013, 09:19 PM
I like this song alot, but I also fucking adore both Prick albums... and the rest of Kevin McMahons stuff, so I can see how this would bug the shit out of some people.

edit: also, a pm would be cool, so i can close this window.

EndlessLoveless
08-19-2013, 09:39 PM
I like this song alot, but I also fucking adore both Prick albums... and the rest of Kevin McMahons stuff, so I can see how this would bug the shit out of some people.

edit: also, a pm would be cool, so i can close this window.

I was done with ETS for the night but had to look once more before bed and saw this^^ You hit it. It totally sounds like it could have been on the second prick album. Which I also like. But yes, the everything thread is out of control and I'm done reading it. I knew shit was getting crazy when ETS crashed earlier. What a day....

goingincirclez
08-19-2013, 10:40 PM
I have found, you can find, happiness in everything...

Amaro
08-19-2013, 10:44 PM
I wonder how different the reception would be for the song had he debuted it live...

gorast
08-19-2013, 10:49 PM
I wonder how different the reception would be for the song had he debuted it live...

That's an interesting question.

Take, for example, Copy of A. Live, it sounds more aggressive, as is the norm for NIN. The question is, how aggressive would Everything end up sounding with Robin playing those guitar parts?

I think people would like the song more initially for its live debut, but the reaction to the studio version would dip way further down because people built up expectations in their head about the song that ended up not being exactly right.

On a sort of related note, am I the only one that just can't stop reading the posts in the Everything topic? I know I should stay out of it, but I...just can't stop myself.

I don't even regret that pun.

Ichiro
08-19-2013, 10:56 PM
On a sort of related note, am I the only one that just can't stop reading the posts in the Everything topic? I know I should stay out of it, but I...just can't stop myself.

I don't even regret that pun.

Same. I don't know why but I've been checking it compulsively since the interview. Can't look away...

Kyle
08-19-2013, 11:35 PM
I was out during the song's emergence,

Don't feel bad. So was ETS.

butter_hole
08-19-2013, 11:37 PM
I wonder if we've heard any guest musicians yet, especially Belew...

Bluebird
08-19-2013, 11:44 PM
So uh...what about this whole "sparse and minimal" thing? The three studio songs we've heard so far seem anything but...pretty heavily layered actually, as we're used to hearing. Perhaps these songs can't really be trusted to indicate much about the album as a whole? Eh?

Either way, regardless of how much I may or may not like "Everything" (it's hard to tell right now), I'm pumped he made it. This is what I was looking for when TR talked about taking NIN to a new place. To all the idiots bitching about this song proving he's a sellout or some stupid shit, you have it perfectly backwards. It's so...honest. This is where his head is at right now. This is not a guy who is trying to cash in on a persona he embodied twenty years ago. the sheer honesty is part of what I admire so much about him. Seriously, I think putting out this song was a ballsy move, as we can see from the massive divide in INITIAL (key word btw) reactions here.

Basically, Trent, you're a fuckin badass.

Dethbryte
08-19-2013, 11:54 PM
I have a feeling I'm going to end up listening to all three of these songs over 100 times before the whole album is out.

Someone send help.

nineismine
08-19-2013, 11:56 PM
I have a feeling I'm going to end up listening to all three of these songs over 100 times before the whole album is out.

Someone send help.

Im on my way just need to listen to the songs one more time...

Khrz
08-20-2013, 12:24 AM
"Everything" is available to download for those who preordered HM on the nin store !

Wretchedest
08-20-2013, 12:29 AM
I just heard "Disappointed" for the first time.

This is a cool song. Super wierd. Here's hoping we keep it weird from here on out? Ok?

Amaro
08-20-2013, 12:32 AM
I think Disappointed into Everything is cool, and I wonder how Satellite compliments Everything.

fuckit
08-20-2013, 12:35 AM
Pm for the pre order download? I love this song now. It's the first nin song that had be smiling, when he softly sings the outro. Then the synths come in and bring in some chemical brothers melody. Good stuff

nineismine
08-20-2013, 12:46 AM
Pm for the pre order download? I love this song now. It's the first nin song that had be smiling, when he softly sings the outro. Then the synths come in and bring in some chemical brothers melody. Good stuff
Ive been begging for this all over and nothing. Im going to end up having to rip it myself.

NINisamazing
08-20-2013, 12:48 AM
Leak fucker.

nineismine
08-20-2013, 12:49 AM
Its (everything) on google Play now btw

Amaro
08-20-2013, 01:08 AM
So far I'm on my way to pre-ordering this album on vinyl. For when I get a record player!

If you guys wanting top quality of Everything don't have a PM by tomorrow morning, PM me and I should be able to help you. I gotta sleep... Good day.

Please leak.

nowimnothing
08-20-2013, 02:07 AM
Please PM me the Link for Everything :)

gorast
08-20-2013, 02:48 AM
My god. After reading through some of 'Everything' comments, I sorta had to slap myself. TR cannot do wrong for some people. Impossible. So of course tell yourself "fuck it. I LOVE IT". And all the people who dont like the latest material get sorta played out like we are fools. Ok. I get it. Music is opinion. Sure. But please. Do this.

Put on PHM (well some of it) ->Broken -> TDS -> Fragile...yeah. Take a moment. Then put on Year Zero (which i loved) and then listen to the new stuff, with Everything being last.

Is there really anyone who will argue, yeah its tip top?

Sorry, just venting a bit. I guess its pointless. One hates it, next one loves it. Such is life. Ok. But I tell you one thing, its not like I DONT wanna like new NIN material. Im trying really really hard....

I don't think it was so much people proclaiming that Everything is the top of the mountain of quality NIN, it was the fact that tons of people here, on Facebook, on nin.com, were being such fucking babies about it. The ratio here wasn't nearly as bad as it was some other places, because a lot of people here had stronger reasoning than "this shit is for babies and Trent is a big baby now fuck him."

The ones who are being played out as fools are the ones who refused to act like adults discussing music and instead beat the same "this shit is the stinkiest turd Trent's ever put out I can't believe it's not angry muscle man yelling about the same problems he had two decades ago fuck this band." And there were plenty of people acting shitty on the "I love this song" side, too.

BRoswell
08-20-2013, 02:49 AM
My god. After reading through some of 'Everything' comments, I sorta had to slap myself. TR cannot do wrong for some people. Impossible. So of course tell yourself "fuck it. I LOVE IT". And all the people who dont like the latest material get sorta played out like we are fools. Ok. I get it. Music is opinion. Sure. But please. Do this.

Sorry, my bullshit meter just went off. If you don't want to be treated like a fool, don't make comments about how people are just lying to themselves.

Put on PHM (well some of it) ->Broken -> TDS -> Fragile...yeah. Take a moment. Then put on Year Zero (which i loved) and then listen to the new stuff, with Everything being last.

Take a moment to realize that the people that like the new stuff probably listen to the albums you listed QUITE often and don't need to have their memories refreshed.

howdidislipinto
08-20-2013, 03:11 AM
I fucking love that the three songs we've heard are so different from one another. What Trent said today about a focus on melody, simplicity, and songwriting seems to be what we're hearing, and... I feel like it's the NIN record I've been waiting for for a long time. He's always buried his hooks, and that's been fun for 20+ years (or at least post-PHM)... but there's something spine-tingling about a whole album of Trent's naked melodic ambition. I want to hear that so badly. And I still feel like I have no idea what to expect.

It's so goddamn exciting.

ericy210
08-20-2013, 06:03 AM
Go to the official nin tumblr site and there's a link to national public radio, of all places.
http://nineinchnails.tumblr.com/

thatguymark
08-20-2013, 06:42 AM
2 weeks and still no leak. I never would've through that, but now we've heard almost half the album, and (to me), there's not a real dud in the bunch. I do find it interesting that every song that's been played so far comes from the first half of the album. That just means on my first listen, it'll be 30 straight minutes of mostly familiar material followed by 30 straight minutes of completely new sounds. That's gonna be fun.

butter_hole
08-20-2013, 07:05 AM
Go to the official nin tumblr site and there's a link to national public radio, of all places.
http://nineinchnails.tumblr.com/
why is them linking to NPR so weird?

Fixer808
08-20-2013, 07:06 AM
Heeeeeeheeheeheehee. (http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3 D848kTjwPZDk&start1=&video2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D 0C3zgYW_FAM&start2=&authorName=DVS)

cashpiles (closed)
08-20-2013, 07:13 AM
1 more day...

Emil Dorbell
08-20-2013, 07:15 AM
1 more day...

Until what...?

martin_b
08-20-2013, 07:19 AM
Until leak maybe...

Reznor2112
08-20-2013, 07:44 AM
Where the hell can you get this!!!!???
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/20/ujugujug.jpg

Also if there is a chance of a leak it will be after this Thursday. Most record stores or stores that sell CDs get their shipments on the Thursday or 2nd Thursday prior to the Tuesday release day

OSLIN
08-20-2013, 07:57 AM
Nothing to see here

OSLIN
08-20-2013, 07:57 AM
Had a dream last night that Everything was the next single off of HM. I think that means I'm excited or need to get the hell off these boards.

Just want to point out that I had a dream of seeing this live and it kicked ass. Call me Nostradumass!

Bachy
08-20-2013, 08:09 AM
"Everything" and "Copy of A" now available to stream on Spotify

goingincirclez
08-20-2013, 09:01 AM
I do find it interesting that every song that's been played so far comes from the first half of the album. That just means on my first listen, it'll be 30 straight minutes of mostly familiar material followed by 30 straight minutes of completely new sounds. That's gonna be fun.

Dang it, I just signed in to say almost the exact same thing. It really IS quite interesting when you think about it: everyone is shamelessly clamoring for a full leak, and yet half of it is right there in front of us, dribbled out piecemeal to form the first half in its near entirety. The mix of live-debut and studio tracks to build the "teaser EP" is intriguing. As are the two tracks omitted in sequence.

And The Great Polarizer that is Everything lies smack in the middle?

This is a brilliant move - it sets up a second act that should be every bit the whirlwind. Meanwhile based on what we've heard, and the disparate sounds and aesthetics in play... those track names breed even more anticipation and speculation.

It's almost like this is an ARG minimized and trolled onto the forum (and elsewhere). I wonder whose hand made the decision, Trent or Columbia? Either way they deserve some credit, I can't remember this much anticipatory angst for any album, and I lurked here during the WT and YZ days. Which were different... but damn this is no less fun.

EndlessLoveless
08-20-2013, 09:38 AM
I agree with the above posts. I think were only hearing "side 1" so far, for a reason. I think "side 2" is going to be...different. But I still am totally digging everything ive heard so far. And i mean EVERYTHING. Change is ok. And I really dont think things have changed that much, or enough for the backlash that transpired yesterday. It still sounds like NIN...and really, really good NIN at that. I played Everything for my wife last night when i got home and she was def like, whoa...but she loves it as well. And she actually has really good taste in music. I mean fuck, shes heard me play NIN non stop since like '94, so she knows whats up.

Pyract
08-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Long time lurker here. Finally signed up. Hope newbies aren't getting hit too hard around here. :)

I get that you don't want to dwell on the past and don't want to repeat yourself, musically. But I think these singles, esp. Everything, is so subpar for NIN. At least YEar zero felt somewhat innovative, different yet it still had that NIN sound. These new singles remind me of with Teeth a lot which personally I did not liked at all. Copy of a has its moments when its about to enter greatness but then it never does. Im not saying i could do a better job but it's just not up there. Looking at the live shows, the new songs do not seem to go over as well as the old stuff does. At least it appears to me like that. I dig the minimal concept. I really do. But i just miss the rage. I miss the layers of what used to be NIN. Listing to the Fragile today, I still discover new things when listing to it. I personally think, that's what made NIN so good. It wasn't average music. The new stuff is...average.

I have the deluxe edition pre-ordered so im a supporter. But these new songs do not make me and go for a ticket. But i guess as a fan you either like it or you don't. Im sure TZ does not care.
Nice to see you, Sonic Mayhem! ;)

filmfanb
08-20-2013, 09:51 AM
I dont mind the new song,its a lot more bitter than the it may suggest. the bass is lush and production top notch
thought the interview was great too. seems to be in a good place now which is great.
bring on the album

Amaro
08-20-2013, 09:53 AM

Is there really anyone who will argue, yeah its tip top?

Sorry, just venting a bit. I guess its pointless. One hates it, next one loves it. Such is life. Ok. But I tell you one thing, its not like I DONT wanna like new NIN material. Im trying really really hard...

I am starting to love Everything, and I personally think TR can do "wrong." I feel that's fairly exclusive to YZ.

People really are different. If you say this is bouncier than anything on YZ, I would agree, and YOU may wonder why or how I could like this over MIN, TBOTE, SRVVSM, TGS, VSSL, CG, TGG, TGD, ZS, GG and MYM. Lemme just say...I am very comfortable with my musicality...I'm like musically bi-sexual. I'm also picky as shit... I just can't be pegged much. I've come to realize this for myself.

I'd made up my mind about this tune pretty soon into some listens, as it's rather easily digestible, and have heard it probably 30+ times, mostly from wanting to get that thoroughly enjoying feeling I get, again and again. And I consider how this sound will work within proper context, which, as a fan of the song (and every other so far), is simply exciting to ponder.

///

Anyone else wonder if Ilan does backup vox on Everything?

Emil Dorbell
08-20-2013, 09:58 AM
"Everything" and "Copy of A" now available to stream on Spotify

Can't find 'em...

r_z
08-20-2013, 10:09 AM
So I just read through all pages of the "Everything..." thread.

Why?

broevol
08-20-2013, 10:13 AM

Why?

You were bored and it was keeping you distracted so you didn't have to listen to "Everything"

skip niklas
08-20-2013, 10:14 AM
The "hasitleaked" page is having some coding issues, so keep your eyes open people.

That other guy
08-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Where the hell can you get this!!!!???

Also if there is a chance of a leak it will be after this Thursday. Most record stores or stores that sell CDs get their shipments on the Thursday or 2nd Thursday prior to the Tuesday release day

Not sure how much it matters but Labor Day Holiday is on Monday Sept 2nd in the States..Would assume stores would get it earlier?

tony.parente
08-20-2013, 10:27 AM
1 more day...

You keep doing its, and not elaborating when you're asked.
Do you know something we don't?
Do you have a source?

ARE YOU GUNNA LEAK IT?!?!?!?!?!??!

fuchal
08-20-2013, 10:34 AM
It was just a few weeks ago that everyone was complaining about how everything Trent has done with Atticus sounds the same. Now it sounds too different to be NIN. Not quite sure what anyone was expecting there.

howdidislipinto
08-20-2013, 01:59 PM

Why?

I did the same. Not sure why. I feel like the albino guy that flogs himself in that shitty DaVinci movie. At least the Facebook comments were funny.

Khrz
08-20-2013, 02:06 PM
It was just a few weeks ago that everyone was complaining about how everything Trent has done with Atticus sounds the same. Now it sounds too different to be NIN. Not quite sure what anyone was expecting there.

Just for the sake of being the devil's advocate here : Everyone has complained that reznor rehashed lyrics and sounds, yet the same people get all ecstatic when they hear lyrical and sonic references to all his anterior albums. Somehow, what was redundant yesterday magically became clever references.

ComradeCornhole
08-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Because I really think that a solid plurality of the folks who comment on this issue sincerely want something that is as close to, but not quite a note-for-note copy of TDS or TF. Truth be told, I wouldn't mind at all if TR wanted to explore some of those areas again (sonically, at least); but I completely understand why he doesn't. If some of the shrillest among us would just take a step back and look at the whole catalogue, they'd see that there is really something for everyone and that TR can almost do anything well and with sincerity. I think this reflects his diverse musical background and taste. No, he isn't who everyone thought he was in the nineties, nor was he then. Anyone who's looked just a little deeper into the man knows that he loves many kinds of music and shouldn't be at all surprised at some of the content we're getting now that he is less "governed by fear". Speaking of surprises, how dense to you have to be to not see a track like everything coming? How gradual a transition did TR have to give you over the last decade for you to not be shaken to your core when you hear some major chords and vocal harmony?

snaapz
08-20-2013, 02:24 PM
I'm leaning towards (I'd be more content if it was not leaked).

When there is a live stream for a brief period of time I feel rushed and like I need to use my computer (PC) to have my first listen... then I have to listen to TR complain about people giving their instant shitty, purposeless and good-for-nothing reviews.

I'm not yet sure how or where my first listen will be. TR talks about how people listen to music today... for me I usually buy (steal) and download a fancy album... randomly click through snippets of the songs looking for something snazzy, then I burn (completely fucking up the order) it onto a CD for my car or smartphone for my runs. Even then I'm hard pressed to listen to an album from start to finish.

I'll probably use my home theater to connect to my PC music directory, play (my legally purchased) HM from start to finish in 5.1 and semi loud. Dim lighting.

I'm eager to listen to all 14 tracks (in order). I am surprised that Columbia picked CBH as the single because it's the most NIN sounding song on the album. I will admit I will feel a bit disappointed if there are no heavy/live perc/guitar driven with sweet solos and mod synth tracks.

d-signet
08-20-2013, 02:54 PM
The way I see it, we've got about 2 hours to come up with something to convince those buggers at the Scala that it leaked while they were away ;)

jealous? me?

GFGohmann
08-20-2013, 03:25 PM
The only thing that worries me about 'Everything', is that it doesn't really give me the same vibes as the other songs do. CoA, CBH, FMW, DSPTD, Have all had the same "uneasy" and "tense" feeling. I guess you can get that from the chorus of 'Everything', if you consider the lyrics... but it just doesn't fit... Anyone agree?

I don't think it's a terrible song. Not my fave, but I hope it has it's place on HM for a reason.

Now... Has it leaked?...

ataferner
08-20-2013, 03:34 PM
The only thing that worries me about 'Everything', is that it doesn't really give me the same vibes as the other songs do. CoA, CBH, FMW, DSPTD, Have all had the same "uneasy" and "tense" feeling. I guess you can get that from the chorus of 'Everything', if you consider the lyrics... but it just doesn't fit... Anyone agree?

Completely disagree. Yes, on the surface it seems that way. But the drums give an eerily anxious vibe that combined with the lyrics show there's much, much more darkness going on underneath that seemingly "happy" facade. Seems to fit pretty perfectly in my opinion.

GFGohmann
08-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Completely disagree. Yes, on the surface it seems that way. But the drums give an eerily anxious vibe that combined with the lyrics show there's much, much more darkness going on underneath that seemingly "happy" facade. Seems to fit pretty perfectly in my opinion.

Yeah – The more I listen to it, the more I can interpret it that way... What's throwing me off is that it follows "Disappointed".

Amaro
08-20-2013, 04:15 PM
Yeah – The more I listen to it, the more I can interpret it that way... What's throwing me off is that it follows "Disappointed".

Wait for Satellite.

Then, wait for the whole album listen.

Where is that album leak?

Shadaloo
08-20-2013, 04:16 PM
What's throwing me off is that it follows "Disappointed".

I can't help but feel that that is absolutely the intention given Disappointed's subject matter, which gives me faith in its place on the tracklist.

dlb
08-20-2013, 04:17 PM
what if the everything we've heard is not the everything that's on the album? Then Trent might have owned his fan community like no one has before. :D

it probably won't happen, but I can totally see him pulling this off!

chroipahtz
08-20-2013, 04:18 PM
what if the everything we've heard is not the everything that's on the album? Then Trent might have owned his fan community like no one has before. :D

it probably won't happen, but I can totally see him pulling this off!
I would be disappointed with his lack of balls.

dlb
08-20-2013, 04:20 PM
of course you could lay it out like that, too.

homphgomph
08-20-2013, 04:24 PM
I come in every time expecting to see someone posting with the words "uuugh guys" as a link to either the actual leak or hasitleaked saying "yes"

Every time, I'm disappoi....let down.

Atom
08-20-2013, 04:26 PM
edit: Wrong fucking thread

ComradeCornhole
08-20-2013, 04:28 PM
I think it's possible that the "happiness" (or something analogous) is genuine in Everything. However, I think it's probably no coincidence that it's a short track, perhaps indicating that pure, unadulterated happiness is brief and fleeting before more adversity comes along. This theme could also go along with its placement in the track list.

littlemonkey613
08-20-2013, 04:30 PM
I think it's possible that the "happiness" (or something analogous) is genuine in Everything. However, I think it's probably no coincidence that it's a short track, perhaps indicating that pure, unadulterated happiness is brief and fleeting before more adversity comes along. This theme could also go along with its placement in the track list.

I have a feeling the track placement will elevate the song and a lot of haters will dig it more.

ComradeCornhole
08-20-2013, 04:35 PM
The haters can go kick rocks, anyway... Or pound sand, or whatever it is haters do in their dry, bland and colorless wasteland they've hated themselves into.

EndlessLoveless
08-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Question for the EVERYTHING haters....do you guys/girls like the chorus? Is it just the verses? I dont understand the hate myself so, just asking...

Amaro
08-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Question for the EVERYTHING haters....do you guys/girls like the chorus? Is it just the verses? I dont understand the hate myself so, just asking...

I love Everything (everything).

Edit: I'd think the haters don't like the song because of the verses, let's be real here.

BRoswell
08-20-2013, 04:43 PM

Agreed, and I think that will probably become clearer once we hear it in the context of the album.

hobochic
08-20-2013, 05:08 PM
I'm intrigued. Right now it's my favorite NIN song I've never heard and I can't wait to "meet" it. Sorta like that weirdo acquaintance you've heard embarrassing stories of but never had a chance to meet. Bring out the sky full of pink hearts! I'm going on a date.

ComradeCornhole
08-20-2013, 05:10 PM
I'm intrigued. Right now it's my favorite NIN song I've never heard and I can't wait to "meet" it. Sorta like that weirdo acquaintance you've heard embarrassing stories of but never had a chance to meet. Bring out the sky full of pink hearts! I'm going on a date.

The song is best enjoyed whilst riding a unicorn across a rainbow bridge after a few lines of pixie dust.

NINisamazing
08-20-2013, 05:10 PM
I think that this song is probably placed between two epics. You have to think that it could be, it's one of the shortest on the record. I think anyone can't really judge that song completely until hearing the whole record and how it flows.

modul8tr
08-20-2013, 05:19 PM
Man... With the release of Everything combined with some of the other previous new lyrics, I'm thinking this is a concept album about coming back to try NIN one more time and Trent realizes this isn't who he is anymore. The songs are "Hesitation Marks" before finally killing NIN. Kind of a bummer from a long time fan perspective. :/ Hope I'm wrong!

I don't know about this being a concept album about that specifically, but I do think that was very much behind the process of *making* the record.

NIN has always been a map of the human mind, every album being true to where that mind was at the time. All of the music has fit within a specific tone, however, and great effort has gone into pushing the boundaries of that tone as far as possible, as that mind has evolved.

I think there's some truth to what you say about the title. And it makes total sense as I'm fairly certain NIN is in its final chapter. Whether it's this record or the next, the end is near.

Then again, there's Year Zero. If NIN were to continue, I could see the focus moving almost entirely to the external.

chroipahtz
08-20-2013, 05:21 PM
If I had to bet, I'd say future albums will be Ghosts-like, or HTDA-like, where Trent mostly uses his voice as flavoring, and just does experimental stuff. I wouldn't mind that at all.

Or maybe he'll just keep writing pop rock until he's 70. We can only hope.

ComradeCornhole
08-20-2013, 05:22 PM
I don't know about this being a concept album about that specifically, but I do think that was very much behind the process of *making* the record.

NIN has always been a map of the human mind, every album being true to where that mind was at the time. All of the music has fit within a specific tone, however, and great effort has gone into pushing the boundaries of that tone as far as possible, as that mind has evolved.

I think there's some truth to what you say about the title. And it makes total sense as I'm fairly certain NIN is in its final chapter. Whether it's this record or the next, the end is near.

Then again, there's Year Zero. If NIN were to continue, I could see the focus moving almost entirely to the external.

Good thoughts. TR has become more vocally political with age. Perhaps NIN will become more of a social critique project. Think Rage Against the Machine but with less rage and more electrodiscofunk.

jessamineny
08-20-2013, 05:24 PM
Eh. I think he'll join a super-group and happily fade out of the spotlight.

ComradeCornhole
08-20-2013, 05:25 PM
If I had to bet, I'd say future albums will be Ghosts-like, or HTDA-like, where Trent mostly uses his voice as flavoring, and just does experimental stuff. I wouldn't mind that at all.

Or maybe he'll just keep writing pop rock until he's 70. We can only hope.

Also a strong possibility. The instrumental-focused direction, I mean.

eversonpoe
08-20-2013, 05:26 PM
Agreed, and I think that will probably become clearer once we hear it in the context of the album.

just as an aside, i DO NOT UNDERSTAND how no one in the "everything" thread gets that you're joking with all your posts.

ComradeCornhole
08-20-2013, 05:30 PM
just as an aside, i DO NOT UNDERSTAND how no one in the "everything" thread gets that you're joking with all your posts.

What about that post --by itself-- conveys sarcasm or humor? You may be privy to some previous posts and have more context than I do, but there's nothing about that statement that seems odd to me.

nineismine
08-20-2013, 05:32 PM
A Plea (se) to Mr Reznor..

Dear Sir,
I am eagerly anticipating the release of your new album titled "Hesitation Marks" after listening to the bits and pieces I have been able to assemble from live recordings and official releases I have come to the unfortunate conclusion that If I do not receive a leak of the aforementioned works in the next 24 - 48 hours I may be forced to do unspeakable things to myself, such as actually listening to a one direction song to shut up all the incessant rabble rousers and nay sayers in "the horrible thread of misery which we will not mention anymore".

Because I know you to be a good and kind and god fearing man I have decided to make you a counter offer so we can all avoid this unnecessary torture of another good and kind and (of course) god fearing man. I propose that in exchange for a leak (and to avoid the inevitable stabbing of ears that will likely happen if we continue down this dangerous road) surfacing in the next 24 - 48 hours, I will happily purchase 3 more copies of said works from amazon or even from a retailer of your choosing.

I encourage my fellow crazies to join me in this pledge. Please good sir do not let us down..

Sincerely the good and kind and god fearing.

EndlessLoveless
08-20-2013, 05:33 PM
I love Everything (everything).

Edit: I'd think the haters don't like the song because of the verses, let's be real here.

Agreed. But what about the chorus?? I think the chorus is what a lot of people have been looking for. Harsh layered guitars and an aggressive beat.

rampface
08-20-2013, 05:36 PM
If you can't enjoy this because it's too poppy/happy then you are a gloomy asshole and need to reevaluate your life and determine why it is your afraid to feel good.

If you don't like the song because you think the actual writing is weak, that's understandable.

:rolleyes:

My opinion: this is fucking awesome! I haven't been this excited or shocked by NIN since '99.

....remember when people complained about The Fragile being too happy?

....................look at how that turned out............................

Amaro
08-20-2013, 05:42 PM
Agreed. But what about the chorus?? I think the chorus is what a lot of people have been looking for. Harsh layered guitars and an aggressive beat.

Yeah, but once one thing is off the status quo (whatever that may be to you), you just can't win. And that's fair.

I actually relate to that feeling with some NIN songs...just not this one. I'm on board with everything (this is the pun that will never end).

Amaro
08-20-2013, 05:54 PM

If I may suggest--wear a goth/punk hybrid type outfit underneath a fairly flashy 80s-colored tearaway dress.

(I'm so unversed with fashion terminology, but just do what I said anyway. That should do the trick.)

Bookmark
08-20-2013, 06:01 PM
I think I have something to say that feels unique to who I am right now, and that's when it tells me it's time to do something."
Reznor says that he did think about adopting yet another moniker for his upcoming writing but decided that "at the moment it's going to live in the Nine Inch Nails column, for a few reasons. I enjoy the challenge of moving that kind of brand forward, that identity, shaping it to who I am now instead of who I was a few years ago when I last left off." But, he adds, "It's all kind of hypothetical right now. When I sit down with a notebook and a little mini-recorder is when my bluff will be called, and then it might not happen at all."

Interesting older billboard article (http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/512559/trent-reznor-to-write-new-nine-inch-nails-material-in-2012), especially in the context of the new album. Before going to specifically write new material, Trent himself thinks about creating a new moniker for his new material. When was "Everything" recorded? Maybe it points to the period of this interview?

EndlessLoveless
08-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Interesting older billboard article (http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/512559/trent-reznor-to-write-new-nine-inch-nails-material-in-2012), especially in the context of the new album. Before going to specifically write new material, Trent himself thinks about creating a new moniker for his new material. When was "Everything" recorded? Maybe it points to the period of this interview?

It was one of the first two songs recorded, along with satellite.

EndlessLoveless
08-20-2013, 06:04 PM
Ive got a really bad feeling that this is going to be the last new NIN album for awhile, if ever. Dont know why, but fuck....that would suck.

billpulsipher
08-20-2013, 06:05 PM
maybe he wrote it for the Exotic Birds reunion tour....

hobochic
08-20-2013, 06:22 PM
If I may suggest--wear a goth/punk hybrid type outfit underneath a fairly flashy 80s-colored tearaway dress.

(I'm so unversed with fashion terminology, but just do what I said anyway. That should do the trick.)

http://8tracks.imgix.net/mix_covers/000/230/955/20939.original.jpg?fm=jpg&q=65&sharp=15&vib=10&

CRIMinal
08-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Ive got a really bad feeling that this is going to be the last new NIN album for awhile, if ever. Dont know why, but fuck....that would suck.

It is possible that he will take a break from NIN for a while, but I have also been reading that he has mentioned recently how much he respects Bowie for abandoning things that work and trying something totally different. So, maybe that is what Trent is trying with this new music.

True Fallacy
08-20-2013, 06:29 PM
It was one of the first two songs recorded, along with satellite.

So it establishes the theory that this would have been one of the tunes on the Greatest Hits for Interscope.. Like.. "Sorry to do this to you guys, but here's a new tune for the Greatest Hits"..

Sooooooo glad it didn't at this point, I respect it a lot more because of its inclusion on the album.

On that note, I'll end with a lyric from the Fragile, and the pun that never ends in the same sentence:
"There was a time when it used to mean just about Everything. Just like now"..

EndlessLoveless
08-20-2013, 06:41 PM
So it establishes the theory that this would have been one of the tunes on the Greatest Hits for Interscope.. Like.. "Sorry to do this to you guys, but here's a new tune for the Greatest Hits"..

Sooooooo glad it didn't at this point, I respect it a lot more because of its inclusion on the album.

On that note, I'll end with a lyric from the Fragile, and the pun that never ends in the same sentence:
"There was a time when it used to mean just about Everything. Just like now"..

Yes TR has said it was written for the purpose of the Greatest Hits and that and Sattelite sort of got the ball rolling for the new album. Paraphrasing.

Amaro
08-20-2013, 08:13 PM
At worst we should absolutely have a leak in no later than 9 days... Seriously (Ireland iTunes release date).

And if I'm wrong, and it's not in my ears before the 31st, well, I will just explode.

binaryhermit
08-20-2013, 08:18 PM
Seriously. (Ireland)

And Australia.

fuckit
08-20-2013, 08:19 PM
question: how DID most people react when the fragile was released? i know that critically it did well in general (aside from that immature pitchfork review), but how was the fan base's reaction?

Amaro
08-20-2013, 08:19 PM
And Australia.

I knew I was forgetting something else. Holla!

Come on, guys...just hand over the music then, if we don't have it before, and nobody will get hurt.

Ryan
08-20-2013, 08:21 PM
question: how DID most people react when the fragile was released? i know that critically it did well in general (aside from that immature pitchfork review), but how was the fan base's reaction?

http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/html/mp000719.htm

July 19, 2000
Na Na Na, Nah: A Guide To Listening To The Fragile Without Feeling Like A Big Loser

http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/img/nipples.jpg
So, you've just bought your very own copy of The Fragile, but you don't know what to do with it. Don't worry, you're not the only one in this situation. At least, I don't think so... but even if you are, this super, handy-dandy guide will assist you in listening to this totally rad album properly. After following these easy steps, you'll be accepted by your peers in no time at all. If they still don't accept you, then they can all just go to hell.

Let's get started! Tally ho!

http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/img/wrongright.jpg
First of all, be sure you're buying the right album. With so many different ones out there to choose from these days, there's always the chance that you'll mistakenly grab the wrong album and not even realize it until you've already gotten home. Don't make this mistake! Take a moment to double-check to make sure the album you're holding in your grubby little hand is The Fragile by Nine Inch Nails (it says so on the spine of the CD case).

Once you've purchased the CD (if you purchased the cassette or vinyl versions, just pretend i'm saying "cassette" or "vinyl" instead of "CD"), you should open the case and examine the contents. There should be two CD's (or three records) and a lyric booklet.

http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/img/lyrics.jpg
In the booket you will find LYRICS! If at any point while listening to this album you find yourself wondering what the hell Trent was saying, you may use this as a reference. Unfortunately, we may never know what the hell he's mumbling at 3:57 in "The Wretched" (if anyone figures it out, please don't hesitate to enlighten me).

Also, if you'll flip over to the back, you can read about the people who helped make this album. If you thought Trent Reznor did it all by himself, you're WRONG, BUDDY!

Now, let's talk about the music!

In order to make things easier for YOU, THE READER, I made these adorable little icons to represent different aspects of The Fragile's songs. Study them carefully, or there will be very dire consequences awaiting you.

MEATHEAD'S COOL ICONS AND WHAT THEY MEAN

Profanity
Resentment Toward God
Optimism
Sexual References
General Angriness
Dr. Dre
Slow Song

Unintelligible Whispering
Getting Funky
Marching Band
Abrupt Ending
Drowning References
Backward Masking
Loud, Rockin' Song
Touching Piano Melody

Disc 1 (Left)

Somewhat Damaged
This is the first song on the album! This song is really loud and angry. It makes me want to break stuff. If you have a tendency to break stuff while listening to loud rock 'n roll music, I would recommend against listening to this song near a lot of glass. Unless you're into bleeding.

The Day The World Went Away
I've found that this is a good song to play at a good old-fashioned campfire while roasting weenies and s'mores. One time I changed the words so that it said "The Day The Weenies Went Away." That was very funny. It's annoying when the cord that runs from the guitar to the amp gets caught in the fire, though.

The Frail
If you listen carefully, you may notice that this song is built on the same melody as The Fragile. It's a quiet, introspective piano instrumental. Not a real "party" song, but it does give you an opportunity to pick up all the stuff you broke while listening to the first two songs, before your parents get home.

The Wretched
This is a song about a whale! ...No, actually, it's a song about God reaching down from Heaven and beating people up with his big arm. I think that would be pretty fun to watch. What the hell is he whispering?

We're In This Together
Here we have one of only two NIN songs that contain the word "we". It's also the only NIN song to contain the words "impossible", "beaten", "fate", "flows", "together", "very", "awake", "fingers" (plural), "farther", "beside", "king" and "queen". Can you spot the grammatical error in this song?

The Fragile
This is what's known as the "title track", because the name of this song is the same as the name of the album. I bet you didn't know that. If I could think of more to write about this song, I'd --

Just Like You Imagined
This is one of thoe most complex, mind-bending NIN songs ever, and there aren't even any words! "Imagine" that! Trent and his filthy cohorts threw everything and the kitchen sink into this track. I tried to play this on the piano once, and my fingers got all cramped up. Never do that!

Even Deeper
Trent brought fellow hip-hop artist Dr. Dre into the studio to mix this track. It turned out pretty well, but some of you may prefer the "old skool" sound of Down In It and Kinda I Want To. Also, the bass on this song sounds really crappy in my car.

Pilgrimage
This song is fun! It sure took Trent long enough to come up with the idea of having a marching band play in one of his songs (even if it is just a phony marching band that he made on a computer). I wish I could make marching band songs on my computer. I'd make a whole damn album of marching band songs. I guess I'd need a Mac for that, though.

No, You Don't
A fast-paced song reminiscent of something from the Broken EP. I had an idea for a cool video for this song once... it involved Ernest Borgnine being tied to a flagpole in his underwear and being force fed blueberry pancakes. This song gets really loud at the end, and then it gets quiet. Just so you know.

La Mer
"La Mer" is French for "The Sea" (not to be confused with "Le Merde", which is French for "The Shit"). This is a mellow, relaxing song with a funky fresh beat and some woman talking about something or other in French, � la "Let's Talk About Cars" by the Butthole Surfers.

The Great Below
Trent closes the LEFT DISC with this song, which is similar to "Hurt" from The Downward Spiral. It's basically about walking out into the ocean and drowning. Kids: Please do not attempt this without a certified lifeguard (or David Hasselhoff) on duty.

Disc 2 (Right)

The Way Out Is Through
DISC TWO START NOW! This song starts out quietly, builds up with some "pulsing synths" (it's required by Federal law to use the term "pulsing synths" when describing this song), and then ROCKS at the end. I would have liked to see this song performed live, but alas, I did not get to, probably because Trent Reznor hates me and everybody is out to get me.

Into The Void
The beginning of this song reminds me of Final Fantasy music. Of course, lots of things remind me of Final Fantasy music while I'm deliberately concentrating and inhaling the contents of an aerosol container. This song's hot, it's got a funky beat, and I can bug out to it! You might recognize the line "tried to save myself but myself keeps slipping" from the Michael Bolton song of the same name.

Where Is Everybody?
"Where is everybody?" asks Trent Reznor in the chorus of this song, amidst more ultra-funky beats and booty bass. They all went out to get pizza, Trent. Sorry... you snooze, you lose.

The Mark Has Been Made
This is my personal favorite instrumental on the album. A lot of people seem to think that this is a half-assed attempt at a song, for some reason. They must not be familiar with "Screaming Slave". This song sounds kind of like early Tom Waits, slowed down, and put through a funk blender (I made that up myself).

Please
This is a pretty straightforward, solid NIN song (as opposed to all those liquid NIN songs). One thing this song definitely has, is pizazz. Well, actually, I just said that because I've been itching to use the word "pizazz" in a sentence all day. But I guess it's still a pretty pizazzy song anyhow. Oh, and pulsing synths.

Starfuckers, Inc.
No other NIN song has as many instances of profanity as this little gem. The oral sex reference is also worth noting. See "Star... What?" (http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/html/meatpers39.html) for an exclusive review of the music video for "Starsuckers, Inc." (also known as "Starfuckers For Kids").

Complication
Another instrumental. This one is fast and short. It goes kinda like this: "Wooowwwwwoowwwoowwwoowwwwowwww, Woowwwwwwooowwoowwwwwoooowwwoowwwwwww". I listen to this song when I'm ready to get my groove on. You should, too.

I'm Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally
Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's... Minimalist Trent Reznor! This song has very little to it, but it's still pretty good. Trent Reznor proves that you don't have to be a Beatle to use a tamborine and still come off sounding cool.

The Big Come Down
This song is cool! It's really loud and noisy, and Trent Reznor yells a lot in it. That adds up to one heck of a neat song. The only thing that would have made it better is if he had sung the entire song in falsetto (� la "Heresy"). But that's okay. Maybe he'll sing entirely in falsetto on the next album (to marching band music, at that!)

Underneath It All
I couldn't seem to put any of my cool icons to this song, since it doesn't seem to apply to any of them. It's kinda weird, but I tend to like things that are kinda weird, and this song is no exception. Maybe it would be less strange if I could recognize one single instrument in it. It sounds almost as if the song was made on a machine of some sort! How odd.

Ripe (With Decay)
Hooray For Decay! This is the last song on the album. It's also an instrumental. This song, along with "The Day The Weenies Went Away", would sound lovely played beside a toasty campfire. If you listen carefully toward the chewy caramel center of the song, you'll hear a sample from the popular video game Pole Position. Seriously! Well, I think...

pigpen
08-20-2013, 08:25 PM

I think you're right, although, it did take the simple task of writing two new songs to inspire him to just write an entire album..
Who knows, though. I think as long as he has something of use to say, and the music doesn't feel forced or stale, he'll keep making records.
I mean, look at Bowie, that guy is a million years old and just put out a new album. Sure the context will have to change, since he can't keep
ROCK BAND Trent going forever, but all he's ever known is music. And at this point, to leave it behind would be a pretty crazy thing to do.

thefragile_jake
08-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Dang. I was hoping this was going to leak today for whatever reason. :(

gorast
08-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Well, look at it this way: if there's another five year gap between HM and whatever NIN comes next, we'll probably get soundtracks and HTDA in the meantime because Trent literally cannot stop making music. It's like he'd die if he stopped.

NINisamazing
08-20-2013, 09:26 PM
I hope it leaks soon. I bought the record, But it just dawned on me. I will be going camping the week of the record release date. SO I wont get the record in-till afterwards.

fuckit
08-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Well, look at it this way: if there's another five year gap between HM and whatever NIN comes next, we'll probably get soundtracks and HTDA in the meantime because Trent literally cannot stop making music. It's like he'd die if he stopped.
I have a feeling that he must be active to further prevent falling back into addiction. don't kill me people. just a thought.

fuckit
08-20-2013, 09:41 PM
also, All time low is apparently a cyber funk track reminiscent of "closer", at least according to NME's new article

Amaro
08-20-2013, 09:42 PM
No offense, folks, I just want to fap over the current album at hand. I'm a little worried positive energy is beginning to take a backseat...

We can get this thing to leak by harnessing our collective chi.

EDIT: post directly above mine--much better

modul8tr
08-20-2013, 09:43 PM

The usual, everyone thought it was total crap. It wasn't TDS. Seemed everyone bitched endlessly about the playlist as well and there were countless alt playlists floating around.

I'm actually quite surprised that it's finally seen by many as an amazing album. Even as recently as the With Teeth/Year Zero era, there was A LOT of shit talking about it.

butter_hole
08-20-2013, 09:50 PM
I'm actually really curious what he's gonna do at the end of this touring cycle...

gorast
08-20-2013, 09:51 PM
I have a feeling that he must be active to further prevent falling back into addiction. don't kill me people. just a thought.

That would make sense. Wasn't that why he started bodybuilding, too? Keep himself active to bat the urges away.

Of course, this isn't something we should speculate too long about. Personal business and all.

fuckit
08-20-2013, 09:56 PM
I'm actually really curious what he's gonna do at the end of this touring cycle...

He said he has the next two years mapped out in the Zane interview, so I assume he's going straight into making new music. Not exactly surprising i guess.

jessamineny
08-20-2013, 10:03 PM
The Rolling Stone article said he planned to be on the road "for most of the next year."

Bad Wolf
08-20-2013, 10:45 PM

I think he's just a workaholic (bad choice of words, I know). Some people are just like that. They just can't not do anything. Even before rehab he seemed to be like that.

fuckit
08-20-2013, 10:56 PM
I think he's just a workaholic (bad choice of words, I know). Some people are just like that. They just can't not do anything. Even before rehab he seemed to be like that.

I agree to an extent that he could just be a workaholic, but i don't think he was a machine like he is now pre WT. he was a perfectionist, sure, but he did say that during the dry years between TDS and TF he was fucking around and avoided making a new album.

Kyle
08-20-2013, 11:31 PM
The usual, everyone thought it was total crap. It wasn't TDS. Seemed everyone bitched endlessly about the playlist as well and there were countless alt playlists floating around.

I'm actually quite surprised that it's finally seen by many as an amazing album. Even as recently as the With Teeth/Year Zero era, there was A LOT of shit talking about it.

That's pretty much how I remembered it. A lot of negativity. And now some of those same people love the album (except Starfuckers Inc). One person I know said she grew to like the album after seeing it payed live. She disliked it at first and now it's her favorite NIN album. Others just grew into it.

I liked it before it was cool.

Kyle
08-20-2013, 11:42 PM

NIN fans are spoiled now. Five year gap between PHM and TDS - broken which while admittedly awesome is also not very long.
Five year gap between TDS and TF - a few miscellaneous soundtrack songs, I'm afraid of Americans and the Quake soundtrack
six year gap between TF and WT - deep and still. And while Still is awesome, there's only a handful of new songs.
At this point Trent gets sober and is unsure about WT which went through some changes because he wasn't sure if he could make music while sober ( a quote of his I still get a chuckle out of)
Two year gap for his next album, one year gap for the next and a couple months for the next (meaning that Trent released the same number of albums in 2008 that he did in all of the nineties)
Now we're back to the traditional five year gap. During this five years we got two full movie scores (one of which was three discs long), an EP with a different band and a full album with that same band. That's four and a half discs of music during his "time away." not to mention creating two new lives which may very well have his musical genes for our kids or grandkids to enjoy.

Trust me. He's not going anywhere. Even if his music keeps taking different forms and might not even be called NIN at some point, I don't think there will be a time when he's alive and in decent health where there isn't at least something coming out with his name on it.

Shadaloo
08-20-2013, 11:48 PM
The primary things I remember are lambasting of WITT as the latest moment NIN "sold out and went commercial pop", and freaking out because Dr. Dre was involved on one track so it was obviously a rap album. I do seem to recall a kind of universal love for The Frail/The Wretched, though.

HurtinMinorKey
08-21-2013, 12:05 AM

Except it sounds like a Lenny Kravitz song from 10 years ago...

ManBurning
08-21-2013, 04:01 AM
OK, I am officially stoked for the release of this album now!! I'm not even sure if I can wait til release date anymore I'll probably crack and listen to the leak, if there is one before September 3rd. But I give credit to the NIN team and Columbia records for keeping the record on pretty good lockdown for this long. Most new records would have leaked by this point in time now.

Anyway, I think it must have been reading through the shitstorm that was the "Everything" thread when I finally realized just how goddamn pumped I am to hear this album. Up until a couple hours ago it was like, OK... yeah, new NIN... it's coming, gonna buy it, gonna be cool...

Now it's FINALLY hit me, new FUCKING NIN!!!!!

Guess part of me really wants to see what all the fuss about this Everything is (i'm holding out as perviously mentioned, for the full album to hear it first). Plus I partially feel I ruined this album experience enough as it is. Here's what I have heard so far (and to some extend maybe even Overplayed the last 2 weeks...oops):

Came Back Haunted - Studio & Live
Copy of A - Studio & Live
Disappointed - Live
Find My Way - Live

That's like 1/3 the album there, so minus the "intro" and "outro" there are only 8 new songs for me to discover.

I'm really looking forward to hearing "All Time Low" (because it says explicit on it, and I like me some obscene words in my NIN songs, lol), and "Various Methods of Escape". I donno what it is, but that track sounds very interesting. It almost sounds like it will be an instrumental, but part of me feels maybe he thinks he has exhausted his instrumental songs with Ghosts, The Slip, his Soundtracks etc from the last 5 years that he really wanted to write some tracks with words. I hope that song has lyrics in it, sounds like a badass song.

The last 3 songs before the "outro" have me a TAD worried based on the titles: "I would for you", "In two" and "While i'm still here" as they all sound like they will be really soft, quiet love songs. I have a feeling this is going to be a new trilogy of songs like the Eraser/BYIT/RWIB part of the [With_Teeth] live show. At least 2 of those sound quite sappy to me. Hopefully i'm wrong... but when you have track names like "Came Back Haunted" and "Eater Of Dreams" written next to "I Would for you" and "While i'm still here" it makes you wonder.

Well, I guess that's my "pre listening Hesitation Marks" review, if you can even call it a review, not really reviewing anything, sharing pre-opinions I suppose.
Anyway, looking forward to hearing what the album has to offer, regardless of whether the remaining tracks yet to be heard are brutal in your face industrial floor stompers, or ballet love songs to his wife, still going to be a great listen!

Besides, "Lights in the sky" and "AATCHB" are probably 2 of my favourite NIN songs, so don't go thinking i'm hating on his slower material.

martin_b
08-21-2013, 04:22 AM
http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/html/mp000719.htm

July 19, 2000
Na Na Na, Nah: A Guide To Listening To The Fragile Without Feeling Like A Big Loser

I wish that Meathead could write something similar about Hesitation Marks...

Davide Marengo
08-21-2013, 05:07 AM
also, All time low is apparently a cyber funk track reminiscent of "closer", at least according to NME's new article
link to the article, please...
I looked for it but with no luck...

butter_hole
08-21-2013, 05:09 AM
link to the article, please...
I looked for it but with no luck...
check nin spotting. or my post history.

OSLIN
08-21-2013, 06:34 AM
LEAK ALREADY, GOD DAMN IT!
(So we have something to talk about, besides Everything.)

Volk
08-21-2013, 07:04 AM
LEAK ALREADY, GOD DAMN IT!
(So we have something to talk about, besides Everything.)

I'm with you on that. I can only imagine the butthurt if Everything was the first single or song played live. I'm ready for the album though. I'd like to enjoy it with some beers this weekend before I start back to school next week.

Emil Dorbell
08-21-2013, 07:41 AM
Oh my fucking God how has this album not leaked yet!? GRRAAAARGGGGHHHH
Just had to get that out of me

NINisamazing
08-21-2013, 08:14 AM
ARrggggggggghhhhh! (Felt left out)

r_z
08-21-2013, 08:20 AM
more like:

ARGomghhhhh???

no?

NINisamazing
08-21-2013, 08:29 AM
Lol nin puns.

broevol
08-21-2013, 10:15 AM
Wow......it's dead in here today. Where is that "one more day...." guy at?

p.s. now is a good time to take a leak.

EndlessLoveless
08-21-2013, 10:30 AM
I am just shocked, in this day and age, that this album hasnt leaked yet. Crazy. Im glad though, as i am in the camp that likes to wait for the whole package. But other artists should take note....do whatever TR or Columbia is doing right now.

But when it leaks i might just listen to a minute or so...

Amaro
08-21-2013, 10:32 AM
I'm not glad. I'm in agony.

homphgomph
08-21-2013, 10:36 AM
I wonder if they tried releasing these 3 songs in order to quell the demand for a leak.

Which is dumb because it just makes it harder to wait for.

EndlessLoveless
08-21-2013, 10:39 AM
I'm not glad. I'm in agony.

But when it happens, it will feel so good!

EndlessLoveless
08-21-2013, 10:44 AM
I still havent heard dissapointed yet. At first, people seemed to saying it sounded 'fragile' ish. Do you all, having listened to it for weeks at this point, still feel that way or not? What is it comparable to?

Amaro
08-21-2013, 10:50 AM
I still havent heard dissapointed yet. At first, people seemed to saying it sounded 'fragile' ish. Do you all, having listened to it for weeks at this point, still feel that way or not? What is it comparable to?

Based on Disappointed live, it's not my favorite of the surfaced tracks, but it has a fairly distinct and new air about it, while still being NIN-recognizable. No NIN song structure is quite like it...hmm...well maybe Only (pretty much nothing like Only otherwise). I think I'll like it more on record, it has that potential with its diverse range, dynamics, and instrumentation.

Shadaloo
08-21-2013, 10:53 AM
I've listened to it more than any of the other new tracks, and I feel like it's the freakish bastard child that resulted from an unused Year Zero demo that had sex with the Quake soundtrack (I don't mean that in an ambient way). A hideous quasimodo that gets up on stage and plays his chosen instrument beautifully. I realize that makes no sense, but that's how I'd describe it.

EndlessLoveless
08-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Based on Disappointed live, it's not my favorite of the surfaced tracks, but it has a fairly distinct and new air about it, while still being NIN-recognizable. No NIN song structure is quite like it...hmm...well maybe Only (pretty much nothing like Only otherwise). I think I'll like it more on record, it has that potential with its diverse range, dynamics, and instrumentation.

Sorry to keep bugging you about this, but theres nothing really going on anyways...Loud or quiet? or both...

fuck i should just listen to it

joplinpicasso
08-21-2013, 10:56 AM
Only have heard Find My Way once on a concert stream and haven't heard Disappointed yet. Though I've had Everything on repeat... :rolleyes:

Amaro
08-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Sorry to keep bugging you about this, but theres nothing really going on anyways...Loud or quiet? or both...

fuck i should just listen to it

Don't listen to it...just wait. I say.

It has multiple faces...not really soft or just loud. It changes. Definitely not a quiet song though.

Vvvvvv (post below) Yeah...must be the streamed version, if you must. And best play it loud.

I'D WAIT THOUGH.

Shadaloo
08-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Mind, if you have to, go for the Outside Lands recording. Best so far that I've heard.

EndlessLoveless
08-21-2013, 11:08 AM
Don't listen to it...just wait. I say.

It has multiple faces...not really soft or just loud. It changes. Definitely not a quiet song though.

Vvvvvv (post below) Yeah...must be the streamed version, if you must. And best play it loud.

I'D WAIT THOUGH.

Agreed. Waiting. Thank you very much.

I didnt hear copy of a till i saw it at lolla. I loved it, but when the studio version came out, i loved it even more.

edit- dont know why im trying to categorize ths shit(badly)- just trying to imagine it

So i imagine dissapointed being way more aggressive than find my way, but not as aggressive as like, the chorus of everything- awesome song by the way.

Leo_OAK
08-21-2013, 11:20 AM
I believe the quietness comes from the anxiety of this evermotherfuckinglasting wait. Everytime I look at this thread (like, a billion times everyday) to see that this fucking album has not leaked yet, I feel like listening to the last Manson album just for the sake of offending Trent Reznor.

richardp
08-21-2013, 11:23 AM
So apparently Copy Of A and Everything and now available for Complete My Preorder on iTunes, but I'll be damned if it doesn't just keep telling me to re-preorder the Deluxe Edition. Has anyone who iTunes pre-ordered actually been able to get the tracks?

interface2x
08-21-2013, 11:31 AM
So apparently Copy Of A and Everything and now available for Complete My Preorder on iTunes, but I'll be damned if it doesn't just keep telling me to re-preorder the Deluxe Edition. Has anyone who iTunes pre-ordered actually been able to get the tracks?

No, I have the same thing as you. I just hit "pre-order" again because I started questioning whether I'd actually done it. But it did tell me that I'd already pre-ordered so I can't do anything. I still only see Came Back Haunted as available even to preview right now.

Vertigo
08-21-2013, 11:38 AM
So i imagine dissapointed being way more aggressive than find my way, but not as aggressive as like, the chorus of everything- awesome song by the way.

Aggressive isn't the word I'd choose. It's like Copy Of A in that it's very much groove-based, with a bassy rhythm continuing more or less unchanged throughout. It has less momentum than CoA though, it's mostly a laid-back song... gets a bit loud in the choruses, but just in terms of a noisy synth drone added to the mix rather than ramping up notationally.
The second half is very cool, it's virtually all instrumental and the singing melody of the verses is played on an unusual eastern instrument called an erhu.

nineismine
08-21-2013, 01:11 PM
I believe the quietness comes from the anxiety of this evermotherfuckinglasting wait. Everytime I look at this thread (like, a billion times everyday) to see that this fucking album has not leaked yet, I feel like listening to the last Manson album just for the sake of offending Trent Reznor.

The last Manson album ruled... There I said it.

broevol
08-21-2013, 01:18 PM
The last Manson album ruled... There I said it.

I believe what you meant to say was "The last manson album that ruled was Mechanical Animals"

martin_b
08-21-2013, 01:25 PM
I'm starting to wonder about the "quality" of the HM remixes. I hope that the new remixes will be something similar to remixes from FDTS, TFA or Fixed and will be far-f...king-away from what we have got in case of THTF, Only and EDIETS.

screwdriver
08-21-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm starting to wonder about the "quality" of the HM remixes. I hope that the new remixes will be something similar to remixes from FDTS, TFA or Fixed and will be far-f...king-away from what we have got in case of THTF, Only and EDIETS.

The El-P Only mix was awesome; and a friend of mine who doesn't really like NIN just discovered and LOVED the Richard X mix of Only as well...

And let's be honest, TFA is pretty questionable.

But yeah, I'd like to see some really *out there* remixes as well

chroipahtz
08-21-2013, 01:27 PM
I believe what you meant to say was "The last manson album that ruled was Mechanical Animals"
I've always thought Holy Wood was pretty good, tbh.

Manson sounds absolutely terrible on Born Villain. Some of the songs are alright, but his voice sounds terrible -- he's older and it shows. The next album will probably be even worse because he'll be even older. He needs to stop trying to yell.

nineismine
08-21-2013, 01:33 PM

I think Born Villian is solid from start to finish. Best album since HolyWood.

Now at least I have something to listen to since this farking thing wont LEAK

Kyle
08-21-2013, 01:53 PM
I've always thought Holy Wood was pretty good, tbh.

Manson sounds absolutely terrible on Born Villain. Some of the songs are alright, but his voice sounds terrible -- he's older and it shows. The next album will probably be even worse because he'll be even older. He needs to stop trying to yell.

I think Holy Wood was his best work actually. It was downhill from there. And rapidly.

EndlessLoveless
08-21-2013, 02:06 PM
The El-P Only mix was awesome; and a friend of mine who doesn't really like NIN just discovered and LOVED the Richard X mix of Only as well...

And let's be honest, TFA is pretty questionable.

But yeah, I'd like to see some really *out there* remixes as well

You dont like slipping away, the great collapse, the wretched, metal, where is everybody, 10 miles high? just curious. i love those tracks. the rest i could do without but those are amazing. last good remix album in my opinion.

screwdriver
08-21-2013, 02:19 PM
You dont like slipping away, the great collapse, the wretched, metal, where is everybody, 10 miles high? just curious. i love those tracks. the rest i could do without but those are amazing. last good remix album in my opinion.

Fair clarification, as I was just talking about the remixes on TFA -- which The Great Collapse, Metal, or 10 Miles High aren't (and I love all of those). The remixes on TFA are pretty forgettable and/or bad to me. Slipping Away is great, if we want to consider that a remix. The Frail one is alright. Clouser's Starfuckers mix is cool.

so, as an EP, TFA is pretty cool to me, but the remixes on it are pretty eh.

EndlessLoveless
08-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Fair clarification, as I was just talking about the remixes on TFA -- which The Great Collapse, Metal, or 10 Miles High aren't (and I love all of those). The remixes on TFA are pretty forgettable and/or bad to me. Slipping Away is great, if we want to consider that a remix. The Frail one is alright. Clouser's Starfuckers mix is cool.

so, as an EP, TFA is pretty cool to me, but the remixes on it are pretty eh.

Agreed. I actually could do without all of the starfuckers. Never understood why that album didint have a more diverse selection of material remixed.

[parasite]
08-21-2013, 04:03 PM
ok, couldn't see this anywhere, and thought it would be easier for me just to snap it than type it all out

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e270/adhunter/2013-08-21215921.jpg

it's from this weeks NME....

gorast
08-21-2013, 04:06 PM
"The Copy of A" makes me irrationally angry. He never even says "the copy of a" in the song.

Amaro
08-21-2013, 04:11 PM
^ I read the whole article (pretty good), and that box really pained me to read...because I want the album all the more.

I love really brief descriptions of music I haven't heard, like that. They tend to be interesting in a sense. I mean, for those who've heard Find My Way--would you go about trying to pin it as it was in the article? I sure wouldn't...

chroipahtz
08-21-2013, 04:28 PM
^ I read the whole article (pretty good), and that box really pained me to read...because I want the album all the more.

I love really brief descriptions of music I haven't heard, like that. They tend to be interesting in a sense. I mean, for those who've heard Find My Way--would you go about trying to pin it as it was in the article? I sure wouldn't...
"Exciter"-era Depeche Mode is a pretty spot-on observation; not sure about the rest. I think as NIN fans and common listeners we're used to the electronic elements by now and just focus on the tempo and mood in the song more than anything.

Amaro
08-21-2013, 04:31 PM
I suppose so... I just am personally drawn most to the very intimate vibe of the song before anything else. That's as far as I've gotten with it. I feel a lot of The Fragile in it.

[parasite]
08-21-2013, 04:38 PM

yeah, i no it's not the most in-depth info, but didn't see any mention of it in the thread

NINisamazing
08-21-2013, 05:36 PM
ok, couldn't see this anywhere, and thought it would be easier for me just to snap it than type it all out

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e270/adhunter/2013-08-21215921.jpg

it's from this weeks NME....

"ohhhhhh, does anybody out there have a NME on them? Does anyone have a NME they can pass to front?
You guys understand english? I just took a shit and I need something to wipe my ass with.
Does anyone have a NME they can pass to the fucking front? eeeaahhhp eehhyyap This is a song about fucking....."

goingincirclez
08-21-2013, 06:04 PM
Depends-class status aside, has any previous NIN release come this close to release date, with so little in the way of advance mainstream media reviews / previews? That's almost as impressive as the netproof chastity belt on the sumbitchin' album itself. So there's been that ambigious Mexican "review", the hints in the New York Times article, the one from the Toronto listening party, and this NME. The Canadian review was the most revealing so far. But you'd think by now with 10 days to go, the hype-review machine would be in full blast.

Or maybe my luddite persuasion has me too far out of touch. "Mainstream media", LOL

Amaro
08-21-2013, 06:09 PM
yeah, i no it's not the most in-depth info, but didn't see any mention of it in the thread

I meant I liked the post. (In my case the re-post.) Little info is what I prefer.

Ryan
08-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Has this little fucker leaked yet?

thefragile_jake
08-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Has this little fucker leaked yet?

No. :(

http://media.tumblr.com/225cf9b5024e37f94b1eadd409d87dbe/tumblr_inline_mrtjrvDEs61qz4rgp.gif

Yeah I was wondering about that too...I wouldn't describe that song at all in the same way....especially with that IDM tag.

thefragile_jake
08-21-2013, 07:02 PM
double post

MrSlfDstruct
08-21-2013, 07:08 PM
"The Copy of A" makes me irrationally angry. He never even says "the copy of a" in the song.

That's journalism these days. No fact or grammar checking, just "type like a gorilla, click send."

nineismine
08-21-2013, 07:43 PM
GAW I can't keep fucking going to sleep and then waking up and NOT HAVING THIS ALBUM LEAKED!!!!!!!!!

NINisamazing
08-21-2013, 08:14 PM
Sweaty balls!!

Amaro
08-21-2013, 08:25 PM
I wonder who will be The Chosen One to come in here to say it has happened (and it actually have happened).

Reznor2112
08-21-2013, 08:26 PM
On that fair morning, when you awake and type in EchoingThesound.org and it doesnt load...

THEN YOU WILL KNOW

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j474/gifsfory0u/demiiiii.gif

Amaro
08-21-2013, 08:29 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/22/yzere7u6.jpg

Who has tonguey?

Trent1995
08-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Hey album
Why are you doing this to me?
Am I not looking at the site I'm supposed to be
Why am I dealing with this animosity
I think you owe me a great big album leak

Make it all mine.
Make it all mine.
Make it all mine.

NINisamazing
08-21-2013, 08:32 PM
"ohhhhhh, does anybody out there have a NME on them? Does anyone have a NME they can pass to front?
You guys understand english? I just took a shit and I need something to wipe my ass with.
Does anyone have a NME they can pass to the fucking front? eeeaahhhp eehhyyap This is a song about fucking....."
I hope someone else caught this.

broevol
08-21-2013, 08:38 PM
I saw it when it was first posted....should I be looking for something cryptic in it? or are you saying you haven't wiped your ass in about 5 hours?

NINisamazing
08-21-2013, 08:41 PM
I saw it when it was first posted....should I be looking for something cryptic in it? or are you saying you haven't wiped your ass in about 5 hours?
Its From a very popular nin bootleg from 1994.

Trent1995
08-21-2013, 08:46 PM
I am the album in your head (and I control you)
I am the single 'came back haunted' (and I control you)
I am the link that you provide (and I control you)
I am the song 'satellite' (and I control you)

I'll make you listen on the go
14 digital copies in a row
It has it's downs, it has it's ups
WHEN THE ALBUM LINK IS UP

Thor
08-21-2013, 08:52 PM
I don't think we will get the leak, I mean, c'mon guys, if it didn't even leaked the notice of his comeback, how are we going to expect the whole album to?

GFGohmann
08-21-2013, 08:54 PM
'Black Noise' is going to be so cool... I cannot wait any longer!!!!!!!!!!

Shnoorum
08-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Welcome Oblivion never officially leaked did it? It was ripped from the stream if I remember correctly. I could be wrong (probably am)

OSLIN
08-21-2013, 09:01 PM
Trent1995
You're creeping closer to odd.
:)

Amaro
08-21-2013, 09:07 PM
This is NIN... It has to leak. Even if it's just on the 29th.

Thor
08-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Welcome Oblivion never officially leaked did it? It was ripped from the stream if I remember correctly. I could be wrong (probably am)

No, it never leaked, it got a stream. My guess is that they did that because like two days before, the Atoms For Peace album, Amok, leaked. And both albums were going to go out like in the same month, so I think that to avoid that same situation, the HTDA guys decided to upload the stream of their full album.

Fist Fuck
08-21-2013, 09:19 PM
I'M JUST THE COPY OF A THE COPY OF A THE COPY OF A THE COPY OF A!

Ha! All Time Low sounding like Closer, totally called it. The track placement, length, and fact that it's [explicit] gave it away.

Nice to see Everything as one of the selected highlights of the album ;)

sheepdean
08-21-2013, 09:20 PM
There was a HQ leak between stream and release

homphgomph
08-21-2013, 09:21 PM
Where's that sailor scout "1 more day" guy?

EndlessLoveless
08-21-2013, 09:25 PM
That article really got me excited for running. Nothing better than a nice gallop. Right on! This album is going to fucking kill!

imail724
08-21-2013, 09:28 PM
So Welcome Oblivion was put up for streaming a little less than 2 weeks in advance of the release date.... where's the fucking stream!?!?