Page 36 of 191 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 86 136 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Laurel Halos Quarantine is slightly overrated a lot of sites magazines people are calling it the best album of 2012 to be honest im not hearing anything really. two really nice songs ...... nerve and carcass.... the rest seems directionless electronic doodling that leads nowhere am I missing something? each track has some georgeous sounds but she just sabotages potentially great songs I don't get what people see in it? it seems a (well produced ) total mess of a bland fractured album. It's annoying when you hear an album that could be so great go off on the wrong tangent.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    RHCP's One Hot Minute is so underrated. Awesome record. Maybe even their best.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Absolutely underrated record. This album garnered all kinds of unfair criticism when it came out, I'm guessing not only because it was a refreshing change of pace in the RHCP repertoire (that some old fans couldn't handle), but most likely because it followed up Blood Sugar Sex Magik (the band's most commercially successful album at the time). I liked the heavier, more intense sound of tracks like "Warped" & "Shallow Be Thy Game." Anything to counter the fucking "Under the Bridge" crap the band had recently become synonymous with.

I still think BSSM is their most cohesive, tight album to date & the best example of their style & what they're good at, but there's lots of love for OHM. Speaking of, I think it's time for a listen. Been way too long.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    My favorite Red Hot Chili Peppers album.

Another blow against it was Frusciante not being on it, rather Dave Navarro. I love Dave's take on their sound and made it more of a hard alternative rock album. The album definitely had the darkest lyrics to date as well. Love it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I would have figured here saying something positive about the Chili Peppers was considered controversial.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    I would have figured here saying something positive about the Chili Peppers was considered controversial.
    Maybe modern RHCP, but 90's-era Chili Peppers are beloved (or, at the very least, tolerated.)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    So this is the thread where we can voice our opinions that elsewhere would be held in contempt by fans of the bands we're speaking out against as blasphemy, right?

In that case:

I hate the Beatles, Rolling Stones, QotSA, Sonic Youth, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Motorhead, Rammstein, Radiohead, all electronica (except for Borgore...he's fucking awesome, especially live), Pink Floyd, the vast majority of Led Zeppelin's catalog, and The Who's, Queen, Red Hot Chili Peppers and probably way more than I can think of now.

I love Carly Rae Jepsen ("Call Me Maybe," at least), any genre of music that ends in *core and has screaming/growling/both and Rebecca Black (I want to do a metalcore cover of "Friday").

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I hate the Beatles, Rolling Stones, QotSA, Sonic Youth, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Motorhead, Rammstein, Radiohead, all electronica (except for Borgore...he's fucking awesome, especially live), Pink Floyd, the vast majority of Led Zeppelin's catalog, and The Who's, Queen, Red Hot Chili Peppers and probably way more than I can think of now.

Minus Pink Floyd and Queen, I would agree that the other bands are either horrible or "just ok/overrated". I really don't get the love for Queens Of The Stone Age around these parts. I am in my 30's, maybe I'm just not hip anymore.
    Last edited by Senateguard33; 12-17-2012 at 10:27 PM. Reason: added quote

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Senateguard33 View Post
    [/COLOR]

Minus Pink Floyd and Queen, I would agree that the other bands are either horrible or "just ok/overrated". I really don't get the love for Queens Of The Stone Age around these parts. I am in my 30's, maybe I'm just not hip anymore.
    I've tried over and over to get into them and can't. I don't get the hardon seemingly everyone has for them. I think Josh Homme is an enormous cock (substantiated by the way he acted when QotSA opened for NIN in the fall of 2005) and the music is forgettable at best.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I still have a hard time believing that anyone who "hates The Beatles" has actually listened to Abbey Road from start to finish, but I'll leave the dead horse alone.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I still have a hard time believing that anyone who "hates The Beatles" has actually listened to Abbey Road from start to finish, but I'll leave the dead horse alone.
    I haven't. My roommate of 3 years in college played The Beatles all the time so I feel like I got a good sense of who they are. I respect what they did and what music is today because of them, but I am not a fan at all.

And I've missed you, Jim. It's been too long.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    I haven't. My roommate of 3 years in college played The Beatles all the time so I feel like I got a good sense of who they are. I respect what they did and what music is today because of them, but I am not a fan at all.

And I've missed you, Jim. It's been too long.
    I used to think I'd "heard" the beatles for a long while, and I carried the assumption around that they were insanely overrated. And when everyone goes around insisting that they're "the undisputed greatest band ever" it can get really annoying and easy to resent. Then I actually sat down and listened to Abbey Road from beginning to end, and then I immediately dedicated the rest of the day to listening to everything else they'd ever done. For me it's not just how important they were, but if people don't like it then it just isn't their thing I guess. To me, when a rock fan says they "hate" the Beatles, it sounds like a fan of fantasy literature hating JRR Tolkien.

and yeah! You disappeared there for a bit. Good to see you back on
    Last edited by Jinsai; 12-18-2012 at 03:07 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    So this is the thread where we can voice our opinions that elsewhere would be held in contempt by fans of the bands we're speaking out against as blasphemy, right?

In that case:

I love Carly Rae Jepsen ("Call Me Maybe," at least), any genre of music that ends in *core and has screaming/growling/both and Rebecca Black (I want to do a metalcore cover of "Friday").
    Do you really think people will be listening to Carly Rae Jepsen in thirty years as anything other than a horrible reminder of the kind of fads that we embraced at this time in history? Think about all those mall starlets who came out in the late eighties and early nineties. Does their music stand up today? My answer would be no, and I feel like people like Carly Rae Jepsen and Psy and Rebecca Black and Justin Bieber and *insert current pop act that everyone loves* are going to fall into that same trap. Their music will only be remembered because we embraced it now, not because we'll be able to listen to it when we grow old and still find those little things that we love about it. It's music for a moment, not music for all the moments.

The reason the bands you mentioned are respected to this day is because it's obvious that a lot of actual work and effort went into making those albums. Whether you like the sound or not is a matter of opinion, but I can listen to something by those bands that you mentioned and hear the work that went into them. Even if you're not a fan of the sound, you have to have at least a shred of respect for what they did, because they were doing stuff not only when it wasn't so easy to make an album, but in quite a few instances, they were doing it before anyone else. I don't hear that in these pop monstrosities that exist right now. I hear a button on a beat machine being pressed, the horrible shrieking of someone who thinks they are anything more than just a pretty face to look at, or the sound of money rolling through their minds. It's default music. It's noise, and not the good kind either. The kind that just comes and goes, like a breeze between the ears.

[/end rant]

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Glad to see some love for One Hot Minute here. If I ever admit that's my favourite RHCP album to my RHCP-loving friends, they try to punch me. But it's clearly their best.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Not really an "opinion" as such, but I got really depressed when I heard about Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon splitting up. I usually don't care about celebrity couples and I know it's none of my business but it felt like something died inside me.

Fuck I sound like a crazy fanboy sometimes...

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    Not really an "opinion" as such, but I got really depressed when I heard about Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon splitting up. I usually don't care about celebrity couples and I know it's none of my business but it felt like something died inside me.

Yeah, well, it was kind of depressing.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post

Hey, they gave it a good shot! Why stick to a bad & sad relationship when life is ridiculously short? Now they can bang away on all their young groupies and perhaps meet someone new.

Anyway... speaking of One Hot Minute, I kinda like it.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I don't "get" Sonic Youth: I've tried and I've tried, and I find them boring, tuneless, pretentious, annoying, unmemorable, with another helping of boring. Can someone explain why they are good?
    At least The Pixies wrote classic, memorable songs (well OK, one: Debaser). Bull in the Heather isn't a bad song, but I seriously don't get why SY are considered classic.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I love pretty much everything SY has ever done. From the subdued post-punk vibes of their first EP, deranged psychosis of Kill Yr Idols/Confusion is Sex, ecelectic experimentalism of Bad Moon Rising and the SYR series to the alternative rock/mainstream indie stuff. I've got a big fetish for cool/unusual guitar noises, so that's definitely part of the reason.

I don't think I can really explain why I'm so into their music in a way that will convert those who aren't. I don't really understand how they can be called pretentious though. They innovated in a variety of genres, successfully integrated avant/outsider aesthetics into music with mainstream appeal and inspired a crapton of bands along the way. They definitely walked the walk, so to speak.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Sonic Youth were so not the same thing as the Pixies or Nirvana or any of the Alt Rock bands they sometimes get labelled with. They were from the 1970s No Wave scene and were essentially an Avant Garde experimental act at their heart. I dont think they were very good songwriters but they were interesting (not great) noise sculptors.
    But i can think of at least 20 bands who did noise better than they did. So all in all there was nothing too remarkable about them in my eyes. So i get the overrated thing. I find it hard to get immersed in their sound. But there are some interesting moments. And definetly a few great moments. Star Power, Bubblegum. I like Evol the most.

They had the best album and song and album titles of any band though, Express Way to Yr Skull, Tuff Gnarl, Kotton Krown, Daydream Nation, Rain King, EVOL! How epic does Bad Moon Rising sound??

But i just think people go into Sonic Youth expecting it to sound like Nirvana or The Jesus and Mary Chain but they were very different. Such a goddamn awkward band.
    Last edited by Highly Psychological; 12-19-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I think if you're not into Sonic Youth, you just might not like that style of guitar emphasis that drives the music. I've been feeling a little too drained today, so I may not do this justice, but it comes down to the experimental guitar tone and unusual tunings for me. For a lot of people, rock is centered around the vocal, and while I love the vocal style of SY, it's not what appeals to people who are listening for that.

I wouldn't call them a "guitar-tone geek" band, but it helps a lot if you're that sort of person.

And the song "Mildred Pierce" is so bizarrely aggressive (with this driving awesome almost surf-rock foundation) that it sends chills up my spine. Love that shit

at the very least, I wouldn't even consider labeling them pretentious.

And I have to disagree with The Pixies thing... I love practically everything on Doolittle and Surfer Rosa. Tromp Le Monde and Bossanova aren't bad either, but not on the same classic level.... still, you don't consider "Where is My Mind" to be a classic track? Also, songs like "Monkey Gone to Heaven," "Gigantic," and "Here Comes Your Man," tend to cheer me up and get me amped in a way that few other bands do. And "Tame" may be the most fun song to scream along to ever.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 12-19-2012 at 03:19 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I would say its among the Top 3 RHCP albums (The other two being "Mother's Milk" and "BSSM")
    In another hand, i think they became a "formula band" with "Californication" (a decent but overrated album) and now they are one of the most boring groups on the planet...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I wish that word "pretentious" would dry up. Nobody who uses it seems to know what it means. Sonic Youth may or may not be your cup of tea, but they never pretended at anything. They were a downtown art-rock/No Wave band who were into weird guitar sounds and were buds with avant-gardists like Glenn Branca. With who they knew and with what they liked to listen to, they couldn't be anything other than what they were. What would be pretentious is if they'd tried to play like AC/DC.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Controversial Music Opinions...

I've tried over and over to get into them and can't. I don't get the hardon seemingly everyone has for them. I think Josh Homme is an enormous cock (substantiated by the way he acted when QotSA opened for NIN in the fall of 2005) and the music is forgettable at best.
    How did homme behave?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    How did homme behave?
    Like a mother f-in boss

Cocky frontman + music I don't like = Obviously overrated and extremely pretentious

(At least that is formula by some on here...)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    QOTSA can burn for all i care. Cocky redneck white trash crap.

But i guess we do live in America. Makes sense why theyre so popular.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    To add to the previous pages conversation - I don't like one song from the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joymode View Post
    QOTSA can burn for all i care. Cocky redneck white trash crap.

But i guess we do live in America. Makes sense why theyre so popular.
    I respect your disliking and all but Queens of the Stone Age can be a lot of things negatively described but redneck? Don't really see the correlation to that at all.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yeah I agreed on that. I associate them with the desert and shit.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I saw them open for NIN in Fresno. They fit right in with the audience. Low life trash.