Page 38 of 191 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 88 138 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I thought Homme on the 2005 NIN tour was hilarious. To me it's always been cool that QOTSA come across with a kind of "fuck you/fuck political correctness" vibe. Dat shit be less common to see nowadays and i find it refreshing. rock.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I do like this band, but in my opinion this album harmed their music more than helping it...

Not a fan, sorry

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I've tried listening to Bruce Springsteen 23484927465283 times and I still find it as bland and boring as I do the first time. Don't understand why he's so great and why his music is held in the highest regard.

& also darkness on the edge of town

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    imo Nebraska is one of those albums that stands apart from the rest of the artist's discography, like the Manics' Holy Bible or Pink Floyd's The Wall.

anyway... I reckon The Stench of Redemption is the best Deicide album

Also... ...been sitting on this a while, but "Industrial Rock" is surely a meaningless term. In what way is "Money is not our god" by Killing Joke industrial? If "The Fragile" is Industrial Rock, then so is Radiohead's "Amnesiac"

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Stench Of Redemption is awesome.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I'll give it a go. Why not?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I've always prefered Beach Boys albums over anything by the Beatles.

Not that I think it's a competition really, but I see them get discussed back and forth to each other and I've always just enjoyed the works of Brian Wilson and company over Beatles material.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    "Controversial" opinions I've been mulling over for a while:

I want a rap-metal revival. I think the genre has a lot to offer again. Rap has evolved, metal has evolved, it'd be great for them to get together again.

I don't get what people see in Steven Wilson: I've tried to get into Porcupine Tree and all I hear is bland, generic soft-rock. Like Pink Floyd with even less charisma, if such a thing is possible.

As for Sonic Youth being - to my mind - pretentious: I don't mean they pretend to be something they're not. I mean perhaps rather that they don't achieve what people say they do: to me it sounds like they aren't really trying, and this strikes me as a kind of affectation, a pose (though I guess this is them being their genuine selves: I guess I just don't like what they have to offer); they have these amazing song titles, and yet the music is nowhere near as cool; they don't rock enough to be a good rock band, and they're not experimental enough to tickle my love for experimental music. They inhabit this kind of dull, grey, middle ground. And they just don't write songs that stick in the mind: more like dirges, but without the heaviness and weirdness of a Melvins for example. They sound bland to me. And for someone who has grown up on alternative rock, predictable. I just can't get into SY, and I feel I'm missing out somewhat. I suppose one has to accept that not everything is for everyone.

We've been over The Beatles before: but pretty much any song on The White Album (which I am discovering and falling in love with at the moment) is better than most bands achieve during their entire career. I wonder why that is. Why bands just can't write songs with the same ease as The Beatles did. I think The Beatles are fully deserving of all the praise they get.

The Meat Puppets are underrated as fuck.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 03-01-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    I've always prefered Beach Boys albums over anything by the Beatles.

Not that I think it's a competition really, but I see them get discussed back and forth to each other and I've always just enjoyed the works of Brian Wilson and company over Beatles material.
    The Beach Boys were great, but really, it all boils down to one truly incredible album.
    There were songs on their other records that were good, and I'll take the Beach Boys' harmony pop over the early Beatles, and I'll put Pet Sounds up against any of the best albums in the Beatles discography and call it a tie.

Still, The Beatles win. If there ever needs to be a tie-breaker here, it's Mike Love and his incredible douchebaggery.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 03-01-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Serj Tankian's Imperfect Harmonies is... just.. so... fucking... bad. Cringeworthy.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I hate that Beatles song,Let It Be.Fucking piece of crap.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think that Deftones are mind-numbingly dull. I mean, to me it just sounds like the same sounds repeated over and over again.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Old thread, but i LOVE the idea.
    Lady Gaga is pretty fucking awesome, as is a LOT of popular hip-hop these days.
    The Slip is INCREDIBLY underrated.
    Outside is the best Bowie album.
    Geddy Lee has one of the greatest voices in Christendom.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    1994 was the best year in music history. something was in the water.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    1994 was the best year in music history. something was in the water.
    Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
    NIN - The Downward Spiral
    Korn - Korn
    AIC - Jar of Flies
    Soundgarden - Superunknown
    Therapy? - Troublegum
    Morrissey - Vauxhall and I
    Cradle of Filth - The Principle of Evil Made Flesh
    Beck - Mellow Gold
    Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
    The Offspring - Smash
    Rollins Band - Weight
    Beastie Boys - Ill Communication
    Helmet - Betty
    House of Pain - Same as It Ever Was
    Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
    The Prodigy - Music for the Jilted Generation
    Marilyn Manson - Portrait of an American Family
    NOFX - Punk in Drublic
    Portishead - Dummy
    Natural Born Killers - OST
    Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    The Jesus Lizard - Down
    Sugar - File Under Easy Listening
    Sinead O'Connor - Universal Mother
    Grant Lee Buffalo - Mighty Joe Moon
    REM - Monster
    Dead Can Dance - Toward the Within
    Tiamat - Wildhoney
    The Black Crowes - Amorica
    Nirvana - MTV Unplugged
    Mark Lanegan - Whiskey for the Holy Ghost
    Prong - Cleansing
    Meat Puppets - Too High to Die
    Tori Amos - Under the Pink
    Green Day - Dookie
    Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
    Jawbox - For Your Own Special Sweetheart
    Hole - Live Through This
    Blur - Parklife
    Weezer - Blue Album
    Frank Black - Teenager of the Year
    Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
    Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
    Sebadoh - Bakesale
    Dinosaur Jr - Without a Sound
    Jeff Buckley - Grace
    Toadies - Rubberneck
    Ween - Chocolate and Cheese
    Dave Matthews Band - Under the Table and Dreaming
    Melvins - Stoner Witch
    Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
    Snoop Doggy Dogg - Murder Was the Case
    Suede - Dog Man Star
    Megadeth - Youthanasia
    L7 - Hungry for Stink
    ..and let's not forget Hootie and the Blowfish - Cracked Rear View

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Outside is the best Bowie album.
    I love Outside... it's better than anything he's put out since, but it's not better than Scary Monsters or Low.

and to all the 1994 sentiment, I agree to a certain extent (though I was 14 then and completely obsessed with music so I'm biased), but 2013 is winning. It's crazy how much good music has come out already this year.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yeah, this year has been crazy good so far. Have already amassed enough favouites for a well-rounded end year list and we're only 1/3 of the way in.

Best music years? For me it goes 78, 83, 88, 89, 91, 94 and 97.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Controversial Music Opinions...

For me it's 1982

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I love Outside... it's better than anything he's put out since, but it's not better than Scary Monsters or Low.

and to all the 1994 sentiment, I agree to a certain extent (though I was 14 then and completely obsessed with music so I'm biased), but 2013 is winning. It's crazy how much good music has come out already this year.
    We must be the same kind of Bowie fan, because those are my other two favorites...and i'm with you on the 94 vibe too...i was also fourteen. Outside was a xmas present, on cassette of course, in 96, and i was obsessed. Heathen is pretty damn good too.
    at risk of going too far off topic, what exactly has come out this year that was so bad ass? I haven't picked up a new band since about 2000...and i don't feel like APC and HTDA really count.
    Best music years for me start in '91, when i discovered pearl jam, '92 (broken, when i discovered my favorite band,) '93 (in utero,) continuing sequentially until the radio began to assault me with abhorrence like Creed and Puddle of Mud, and i started listening to hip-hop and going to DnB shows in a desperate attempt to find something interesting to listen to. This year is BEATING 94, during the hallowed hey-day of NIN, Tool, The Prodigy, Nirvana, the Breeders..? PLEASE elaborate; my ears ache for new tunes.

Now back to the topic at hand...

Seal (at least the first two albums) KICKS ASS.
    Year Zero is on par with the fragile and TDS
    I don't care if i never hear terrible lie, or especially, hurt, ever again.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I freakin' love Paramore.

How controversial is that?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    fair play, that is pretty revolting

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    We must be the same kind of Bowie fan, because those are my other two favorites...and i'm with you on the 94 vibe too...i was also fourteen. Outside was a xmas present, on cassette of course, in 96, and i was obsessed. Heathen is pretty damn good too.
    at risk of going too far off topic, what exactly has come out this year that was so bad ass? I haven't picked up a new band since about 2000...and i don't feel like APC and HTDA really count.
    Best music years for me start in '91, when i discovered pearl jam, '92 (broken, when i discovered my favorite band,) '93 (in utero,) continuing sequentially until the radio began to assault me with abhorrence like Creed and Puddle of Mud, and i started listening to hip-hop and going to DnB shows in a desperate attempt to find something interesting to listen to. This year is BEATING 94, during the hallowed hey-day of NIN, Tool, The Prodigy, Nirvana, the Breeders..? PLEASE elaborate; my ears ache for new tunes.

Now back to the topic at hand...

Seal (at least the first two albums) KICKS ASS.
    Year Zero is on par with the fragile and TDS
    I don't care if i never hear terrible lie, or especially, hurt, ever again.
    I also love Outside. I've always been dismayed it never became the trilogy that it was supposed to. Did you ever get to hear that bootleg, Something's Fishy, that has unreleased session demo tracks for the album that were recorded in jam sessions in 1994? If not, go find it!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    yeah, outside is in my top five, which generally changes monthly but is always topped with heroes. i have a similar bootleg called leon that has more of the spaced out, strange jams that became the segues/i am with name/etc. maybe one day more of that stuff will be released, but i doubt the trilogy will ever be finished.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I also love Outside. I've always been dismayed it never became the trilogy that it was supposed to. Did you ever get to hear that bootleg, Something's Fishy, that has unreleased session demo tracks for the album that were recorded in jam sessions in 1994? If not, go find it!
    No! i can't wait.
    I look at the outside trilogy kinda like i'm looking at Year Zero, you know?
    But one thing you didn't answer me....what is all this amazing music that came out in 2013 (other than HTDA and the new bowie?)

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, and again...SEAL KICKS ASS!!!!
    I can't believe i haven't been crucified for this one yet!

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I fucking think How to Destroy Angels are one of the most boring and uninspired bands around and see no reason why they get an extreme amount of praise here. I back Trent as much as the next guy, but HTDA boils down to female vocals over leftover cuts from Year Zero and Ghosts (both are albums that I dislike to a great degree) making for something irritating considering you can find something similar in the vein of like Purity Ring who in my opinion do it much better. I even saw the live footage of the band (because as a live entity Trent has always brought it) and still scratched my head over what's the big deal. What exactly am I missing? Am I not as big of a fan as TR as I think? Any of you feel the same way? Please keep it civil and not "u suk, Rez is god" if I wanted to hear that, I'd go to the NIN subforum.

Oh yeah, and again...SEAL KICKS ASS!!!!
    I can't believe i haven't been crucified for this one yet!
    Like most pop stars, Seal has some great songs. I'll be damned if anyone badmouths "Kiss from a Rose", and this is one of my favorite songs ever:

Last edited by Kid Charlemagne; 04-18-2013 at 11:51 PM.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post

..and let's not forget Hootie and the Blowfish - Cracked Rear View
    You know, say what you will about Howie And the Blowjobs...but they were doing SOMETHING right. What that something was, i'll never understand, but cracked rear view is the 16th-best-selling album of all time in the US.
    Now before you go thinking "sixteenth, meh..," remember who all that includes. Zeppelin. The Beatles. Michael Jackson.And it wasn't double, or quadruple, or even quintuple platinum. It was certified platinum SIXTEEN TIMES OVER.
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-18-2013 at 11:54 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I don't get what people see in Steven Wilson: I've tried to get into Porcupine Tree and all I hear is bland, generic soft-rock. Like Pink Floyd with even less charisma, if such a thing is possible.
    Someone was raving about Sound City on my Facebook, and was asking suggestions for music. I put up vids of some of SW's latest stuff, and he responded that he wasn't too impressed and went on to say he didn't find an empathetic quality in his stuff. If that's what you search for in music, I can't argue against it. For me personally, it's not something I seek out consistently.

I can't speak for others, but for me he (and plenty of others) offers a real alternative with a capital A to what's being pushed as mainstream rock nowadays. His work ethic, even if you don't like the music, is something to be in awe of. It's certainly a throwback to an earlier style of rock music, but he combines it with more clashing styles (remember he's as huge a fan of Trent as he is of Yes, and you hear both of those factors in his solo work especially). He's embraced new technology and has become as much a force behind the boards (with his work as a producer, engineer and surround-sound genius) as he is on stage.

Here's my controversial (but hardly surprising after reading that I'm sure) opinion. Insurgentes might be the best album of the 2000's so far.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    No! i can't wait.
    I look at the outside trilogy kinda like i'm looking at Year Zero, you know?
    But one thing you didn't answer me....what is all this amazing music that came out in 2013 (other than HTDA and the new bowie?)
    A dry spell since we had not so much good music all in one year for a few years back? Me no know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    I fucking think How to Destroy Angels are one of the most boring and uninspired bands around and see no reason why they get an extreme amount of praise here. I back Trent as much as the next guy, but HTDA boils down to female vocals over leftover cuts from Year Zero and Ghosts (both are albums that I dislike to a great degree) making for something irritating considering you can find something similar in the vein of like Purity Ring who in my opinion do it much better. I even saw the live footage of the band (because as a live entity Trent has always brought it) and still scratched my head over what's the big deal. What exactly am I missing? Am I not as big of a fan as TR as I think? Any of you feel the same way? Please keep it civil and not "u suk, Rez is god" if I wanted to hear that, I'd go to the NIN subforum.
    I loved the initial debut EP and I absolutely adore The Space in Between but everything afterwards has fallen flat, been 'safe' and otherwise stale to boring. I'm over Mariqueen's vocals. They're uninspired, flat, generic in some cases and otherwise just a snooze fest. The music is repetitive and droning to the point it's the same music on a loop for 6 to 8 minutes and only is one small snippet of a song that lasts maybe 1 to 2. The rest is a looped cycle that has the same exact music...HTDA's music doesn't go anywhere. All of it just sounds like Ghosts and soundtrack work leftovers that has her singing over it.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I stopped reading at KORN.