Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am sooooo ready for this.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    The Slip part 2!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Preordered the deluxe edition. Really excited!! I don't understand why the Trent interview is exclusive to itunes??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I might be wrong here but wasn't Welcome Oblivion available to stream in full exactly two weeks ahead of its release? If so would it be totally unrealistic to expect the same of Hesitation Marks? It seems likely that the London show (which is two weeks ahead of the US release date) will see the entire album played live for the first time SO does anyone think there's a chance it could be made available to stream the same night? Since the two bands are likely tied into the same record deal similar marketing strategies must have been applied. Trent knows as well as anyone that in this day and age it's near impossible for an album to make it to the release date without a leak showing up some time before. These initial leaks are often low quality and I'm sure after all the hard work that goes into creating an album any musician would hate for their music to be heard in such a way, we all know what how upset/angry he was when with teeth leaked early. Since then everything Trent has put out has been heard for the first time either from an official stream or a high quality download directly from one of his sites. Maybe I'm over thinking this but I've pretty much convinced myself that we're going to hear the album in full this Tuesday via nin.com. People who steal music will do so regardless of whether the album is out or not, so what difference does it make sharing it with fans before a shitty leak shows up? WIN-WIN

New guy here so take it easy

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    You guys do NOT know how leaks work at all. Do not expect it to be anywhere online before the 28th. the album imo really isn't good and listening to a leak might even ruin it that much more for some of you. just trying to help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bugas View Post
    You guys do NOT know how leaks work at all. Do not expect it to be anywhere online before the 28th. the album imo really isn't good and listening to a leak might even ruin it that much more for some of you. just trying to help.
    Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the input!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You've listened to the whole album?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks bro! I look forward to this album anyways.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Dude, guys, this album is poop. Don't bother. It's totally not worth it. You should probably just cancel your account and go play outside and just forget about it. Like, srlsy.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    no problem. and sorry if that sounded like i was hating on the album i just don't really like it. As a long time NIN fan i would say its definitely his weakest album but With Teeth was really weak and i still listen to that whenever it comes on my shuffle. its NIN for f sake. enjoy when it gets to u

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    no problem. and sorry if that sounded like i was hating on the album i just don't really like it. As a long time NIN fan i would say its definitely his weakest album but With Teeth was really weak and i still listen to that whenever it comes on my shuffle. its NIN for f sake. enjoy when it gets to u
    How did you get the album? Lets see a pic if you are not lying

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Are you talking about an album that you havent heard yet? Weve heard way less than half of it, and it already sucks?? I hope you are talking about some other album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Can't ducking wait to get my hands on a copy of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nin5in View Post
    Can't ducking wait to get my hands on a copy of it.
    I'd settle for a copy of a copy of a copy at this point...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanj101 View Post
    I'd settle for a copy of a copy of a copy at this point...
    let's not do this again plix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Alright, I would like to punch Hasitleaked.com in the throat for tweeting about the NIN album...but not that it has leaked.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Not sure if this is old news, but I was sifting through my audiophile version of Hesitation Marks and found that the back cover claims to have used parts of Hank Williams Weary Blues.

What's more, Trent borrowed parts of the lyrics which was interesting. It's interesting how this old Hank Williams song has relatable lyrics regarding loneliness, but the whole arrangement and the vocals just sound, aghem*, utterly silly...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    Not sure if this is old news, but I was sifting through my audiophile version of Hesitation Marks and found that the back cover claims to have used parts of Hank Williams Weary Blues.

What's more, Trent borrowed parts of the lyrics which was interesting. It's interesting how this old Hank Williams song has relatable lyrics regarding loneliness, but the whole arrangement and the vocals just sound, aghem*, utterly silly...
    there was a whole big discussion about this when the album first came out.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    LOL awe man. Can you actually hear parts of this Hank Williams song in While I'm Still Here? I want to try and listen again because I haven't noticed it yet. Only the lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    or wait, did Trent sample parts of that song or did he only borrow the lyrics?

http://www.pilltapes.com/wp-content/...arks-cover.jpg

What's the name of this piece? I love it.
    Last edited by Leviathant; 05-24-2015 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Merging three subsequent posts into a single post

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    http://www.pilltapes.com/wp-content/...arks-cover.jpg

What's the name of this piece? I love it.
    It's called "Lures" and you can read more about all the HM artwork here:
    http://www.nin.wiki/Hesitation_Marks#Artwork

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    It's called "Lures" and you can read more about all the HM artwork here:
    http://www.nin.wiki/Hesitation_Marks#Artwork
    Oh yeah you're right it said right on Mill's website. Thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Tainted Echo
    lol am I tainted?

Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I think what could have made Hesitation marks better is a little more variation with the drum sounds within tracks.
    They all stay kinda the same sounding. I wish we got some more live drum sounds/overlays with the electronic ones.
    Especially when it comes to choruses to give them an extra kick.
    I really missed the raw drums on the last album.
    I actually quite love the live versions of the tracks with a full band... it helps give the music more sonic variation... natural vs artificial sound.
    That was my one gripe with HM... I miss the old raw NIN days.
    That's a good point you're right the drums don't have a lot of variation, but I feel that his use of acoustic drums in HM was sufficient since he used them often in the loudest, most painful parts of songs; the last chorus/outro. e.g. Various Methods of Escape and I Would For You.

Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    My issue with Hesitation Marks was that if sounded like a good idea half formed.
    Rushed, all over the place, undercooked. Same thing i felt about Year Zero and With Teeth, on all those albums there are great songs, but just sound like demos. I think had he spent a few more months on Year Zero it would have been a mindblowing album, instead it sounded a bit cheap. i think maybe i just preferd the music of OCD Trent who spent 2 years making albums.
    But he was not down with doing that in the 2000s. He was obsessed with that Steve Albini style of production of capturing the live sound. Should have got Steve to produce The Slip.
    if Trent makes more records i would love to see him use a different producer, Alan Moulder is like my favourite producer of all time. No one can make a guitar sound as good as him, I think he is a fucking genius, but think creative one between him and Trent has gone bit stale. For a while now.
    Dave Sardy would be a great producer. Or Ross Robinson.
    I'm really surprised to hear that. I was very impressed by Year Zero. I was mostly entranced by Trent's subtle vocal effects as well as the very aggressive ones. I thought Year Zero was stunning.

About HM, could you point out specifically where you think the parts have been rushed? I'm just surprised to hear that because of the subtle nuances I've picked up in the album. The only place I can think of right now that have been rushed in my mind are the places where Trent just abruptly jumps from section to section, like chorus to bridge, and so forth. But I don't know, maybe that was intentional.

Who was the person on this thread who said something like Russell Mills's artwork was much better than the album it was made for.

I'm not gonna get angry and argue with you but I'm very curious as to what disappointed you about the album. I would love to know how Trent could have made it (to your ears) sound equally amazing as Russell Mills's artwork.

I compose as my hobby so it's in my best interest to hear what other people think about this kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I think what could have made Hesitation marks better is a little more variation with the drum sounds within tracks.
    They all stay kinda the same sounding. I wish we got some more live drum sounds/overlays with the electronic ones.
    Especially when it comes to choruses to give them an extra kick.
    I really missed the raw drums on the last album.
    I actually quite love the live versions of the tracks with a full band... it helps give the music more sonic variation... natural vs artificial sound.
    That was my one gripe with HM... I miss the old raw NIN days.
    How did you like the drums on the song Echoplex from The Slip? I thought it was really well done, I mean just chalk full of dynamics and variation, fills and what have you.

But yeah I mean it's true acoustic drums do give chorus's more kick. At least Trent made an effort to put on a different snare in the chorus of one of my favorite songs, VMOE. In that song he also took away and added reverb to the verse snare.
    I find that even though the beats don't have much variation in HM, to me the way Trent compensates is by adding/layering extra percussive sounds. Did you notice that in the song All Time Low, the snare in the outro actually morphs slightly from a snare-ish sound, to a clapish sound, and even to a kind of clap sound with what sounds like a short little sample underneath it. I was amazed by the subtly in that.

Thank you Kris, for liking virtually every post I've made.
    Last edited by Leviathant; 05-24-2015 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Seven posts in a row?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    LOL awe man. Can you actually hear parts of this Hank Williams song in While I'm Still Here? I want to try and listen again because I haven't noticed it yet. Only the lyrics.
    or wait, did Trent sample parts of that song or did he only borrow the lyrics?
    it's only the lyrical reference.

also, i know people have said this before, but seriously, learn to edit your posts. there's no reason to make two posts in the same thread a minute apart.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Hey echo's check this out: To you music theory and composition enthusiasts out their.

So I'm listening to the bridge chord progression in the song In Two, and to my surprise, instead of finding a relatively easy to follow 4 bar chord progression, like in the bridge of songs like Various Methods of Escape, or the chorus of most NIN music, I stumble across a confusing, seemingly 5 or 6 bar progression... Or so I thought...
    Being so naturally curious about this stuff, I decided to synchronize In Two in my sequencer and program a simple bass patch to follow the songs bass. Guess what I find out. The crazy muthuh Trent starts his usual 4 bar chord progression half way!!! I don't know about you guys but I thought that was really clever and subtle way to confuse good listeners.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Did anyone ever poke fun at this Ozric Tentacles song here? I thought Born To Be Alive by Patrick Hernandez was kind of funny because of it's slight resemblance to Copy of A, but this freaken song below here makes me question where Trent got his ideas in the first place lol.

I mean, listen to how the bass synth around the time signature when the drums come in haha wtf.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    this freaken song below here makes me question where Trent got his ideas in the first place lol.
    It's called an arpeggiator. Honestly, it reminds me more of retro videogames than anything else, which used arpeggios (split chords) to make up for the technical limitations of the hardware (which didn't support chords).

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    It's called an arpeggiator. Honestly, it reminds me more of retro videogames than anything else, which used arpeggios (split chords) to make up for the technical limitations of the hardware (which didn't support chords).
    Yeah if anything, in the context of CoA, it feels like a better comparison.

But, it's just an arpeggio. Given Reznor's musical background, it's not surprising that he would use it, and I don't really think it's a nod to anything in particular, other than "How do I conclude that song... Hey, I've never done arpeggi..."

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Yeah if anything, in the context of CoA, it feels like a better comparison.

But, it's just an arpeggio. Given Reznor's musical background, it's not surprising that he would use it, and I don't really think it's a nod to anything in particular, other than "How do I conclude that song... Hey, I've never done arpeggi..."
    That reminds me more of the arpeggio during the "stretch across the sky" part of "All Time Low" than of "Copy of a."

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Did anyone ever poke fun at this Ozric Tentacles song here? I thought Born To Be Alive by Patrick Hernandez was kind of funny because of it's slight resemblance to Copy of A, but this freaken song below here makes me question where Trent got his ideas in the first place lol.

I mean, listen to how the bass synth around the time signature when the drums come in haha wtf.
    also, this riff resolves into an even 4/4 eventually, whereas the arpeggio in copy of a stays "off" consistently.