Page 4 of 241 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostofme View Post
    I really think this is going to amount to some crossed wires on Pitchfork's part.. He's listed just about everywhere, moved out there, has been posting photos and touring tuning on his Facebook, NIN tweeted the line-up including him and Robin right after Robin rejoined(So, He's not being replaced by Robin)..that was about 10 days ago.. Belew's own website confirms it. I've yet to see anything pointing to this outside of the Pitchfork article. Crossed wires.. or my name isn't Ronald Jeremy.
    The fact that he's no longer listed on NIN's facebook page lends some credence to it.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    The last several months have been loaded with bullshit.
    You know what that means...

ARG!
    j/k

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Wow, really happy to hear there's a new NIN album out this year. I thought there were only going to be two new songs, tacked-on to a greatest hits collection. Never thought an album was being produced; very cool! So, the announcement regarding possible new music, June 6th, doesn't seem as far-fetched as it did, earlier. I hope I get the chance to attend one of this year's NIN shows. Also, given that shows are scheduled this summer; it'll be great tracking what new songs are played.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    The fact that he's no longer listed on NIN's facebook page lends some credence to it.
    This.
    It also makes much more sense about Robin rejoining. I'm betting this all unfolded around the same time Robin rejoined. I bet Trent was hoping to change Belew's mind or something and didn't announce it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    The last several months have been loaded with bullshit.
    Come on. Not just the last few months. As far back as I can remember. Never believe anything from TR until it happens. You should know that by now... The biggest question is, though, "Does Robin have to piss in his own shoes on the way in?"
    Last edited by hippygeek; 05-28-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

New Album. Out this year.

Quote Originally Posted by hippygeek View Post
    Come on. Not just the last few months. As far back as I can remember. Never believe anything from TR until it happens. You should know that by now... The biggest question is, though, "Does Robin have to piss in his own shoes on the way in?"
    All mercenaries piss in their own shoes.

But, remember, no new material, except one song for a greatest hits album.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    So yeah, June 6th it is.

Also, remember how Josh Homme mentioned he wanted Trent to produce the new QOTSA album, but he was busy with "the new Nine Inch Nails record"? And people just thought "oh he probably meant the compilation album, silly Homme". Yeah.

EDIT: also

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post

They separated due to creative differences. Adrian Belew wanted the new NIN album to be titled "NIN feat Adrian Belew" and Trent didn't like that. So, Belew pulled out of touring since he didn't want to support the incorrectly attributed new material.
    This sounds almost too well-constructed to be a joke. I mean, he played on a lot of Ghosts, and he gave this interview where he seemed really fucking grateful for getting songwriting credits, something most other musicians didn't grant him.
    Last edited by FernandoDante; 05-28-2013 at 09:36 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Im interested to know what the music itself will sound like on this new album. Im guessing its going to be a lot more experimental and cinematic, everything he did from With Teeth to The Slip wether it be electronica with Year Zero or rock band approach on With Teeth seemed like a retaliation against what he was doing in the 1990s, it was all stripped down, less elaborate and seemed bashed out and recorded quite quickly.
    With Adrian Belew being involved in recording and Kronos Quartet rumoured im expecting something like a slightly more accessible Godspeed You Black Emperor.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I never could have pictured Belew onstage playing songs like "Gave Up" or "Wish" or "March Of The Pigs"...No offense to Belew, the dude is a guitar wizard, but it would have looked weird with a 65 year old guy onstage thrashing through these songs.... Robin is built for playing these songs live...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The link on the NIN tumblr announcement now points to a factmag.com article rather than Pitchfork's article.. same info. No mention of Belew not touring.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    He unlinked Pitchfork on nin.com after the somewhat unfavorable review of the HTDA album, though. He could just still be sore about that.

Or they're not ready to make an announcement, and don't want to link to an article that points out Belew's absence. Don't read too much into it.
    Last edited by jessamineny; 05-28-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Very fun, yet confusing times.

Reminds me of the '90s.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    All I know is...my body is ready for new NIN.

(And by my body being ready I refer to new music to play during my futile attempts at jogging.)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I think the idea of Trent refusing to link Pitchfork is an entertaining one.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I'm excited about a new album as much as anyone, this is amazing news.

But part of me wishes they waited until AFTER the tour had already started to drop the news, anyone with me on this one?
    I would have loved to have been there at Lollapalooza and all of a sudden out of nowhere a brand new song that I have never heard came on. I would have been like
    "What the fuck is this!! OMG New NIN being debuted live for the very first time ever!!!"

That would have been very exciting, and then say the album drops in october/november and then you listen to it and you hear those songs that are vaguely familuar and they bring you back to that special time you heard them played live for the first time unexpectly?

For this reason alone, I **ALMOST** want to boycott the new album if it gets released before the 2013 summer shows start (I'm attending Lollapalooza which is the 3rd gig on the tour). I would love to experience the new songs live and never before heard.

However, I think I know why he dropped this news now... Something tells me the new song hitting the radio stations on June 6th info was true, and Trent wanted to be the one to break the news about the album himself and not some random Radio Dj "Hey everyone that was the new song from Nine Inch Nails, from their new album (enter name here) dropping on July 23rd on Columbia Records"

Everyone would have been like "WTF is this guy talking about? A new album? How credible is this information!?"

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Man, I still haven't fully digested the greatness that is THE SLIP.

<other first thoughts censored>

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Man, I still haven't fully digested the greatness that is THE SLIP.
    I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not, as I know alot of people on this board, and in the NIN community don't take too well to "THE SLIP", but personally, it's been my favourite NIN release since "THE FRAGILE".

I originally liked [With_Teeth] when it was released, but find it hard to listen to now. I downright HATED Year Zero, except for a few tracks on that album that have grown on me, but the album as a whole never left a mark. Ghosts was a neat little experimental album that brought something new to the table, but you can only listen to 36 tracks with weird instrumental noises for so long until they start to get boring. Sometimes you just want some lyrics to sing along too.

And for some reason, I find the lyrics "I jump from every rooftop...I feel a million miles away..." from 1,000,000 to be oddly catchy. i'm not sure what it is, as I know that song isn't meant to be catchy, but it is. It's very, very catchy. And that chorus from Head Down gets me every time...

"And this is not my face
    And this is not my life
    And there is not a single thing here
    I can recognize
    This is all a dream
    And none of you are real
    I'll give anything
    I'll give anything"
    Last edited by ManBurning; 05-29-2013 at 01:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is going to be the new albums Halo number?

Any bets as to 28,29,30? He sometimes releases singles before the new album.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    The Slip was a rush job to promote the tour and Robin rejoining the band. I alsmot look at that as an EP and not a true NIN album....I actually have high hopes for this album...His soundtrack work has been really dark and electronic././..if the new NIN is in that vein, it will be the best post Fragile work easily...fuck all this rock guitar With Teeth nonsense..time to go back to electronics

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    28-first single on vinyl with remix by Sonoio
    29-album
    29LE-album on vinyl with a handful extra tracks, bluray and photobook
    30-second single with non-album track and more remixes (including those from first single making that one redundant)
    31-live album/dvd/bluray of 2013 shows with extras from 2009 shows
    Last edited by BenAkenobi; 05-29-2013 at 12:38 AM. Reason: uh-oh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    28-first single on vinyl with remix by Sonoio
    29-album
    29LE-album on vinyl with a handful extra tracks, bluray and photobook
    30-second single with non-album track and more remixes (including those from first single making that one redundant)
    31-live album/dvd/bluray of 2013 shows with extras from 2009 shows

<-- Sounds legit.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I don't think he'll go the route of physical singles anymore, even with Columbia attempting to breathe down his neck. The Slip didn't have any physical singles, and HTDA hasn't had any ever (KIT doesn't count). 28 will be the new album.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post

They separated due to creative differences. Adrian Belew wanted the new NIN album to be titled "NIN feat Adrian Belew" and Trent didn't like that. So, Belew pulled out of touring since he didn't want to support the incorrectly attributed new material.
    This sounds almost too well-constructed to be a joke. I mean, he played on a lot of Ghosts, and he gave this interview where he seemed really fucking grateful for getting songwriting credits, something most other musicians didn't grant him.
    Dude, i swear! Even worse, I wrote that thinking everyone was talking about Avery no longer being in the band. I was all "Oh man, flood of inactive members rushing here after the new album news who aren't up on the latest news... easy trolling" and @Leviathant can confirm this. He was the one who was like "no dude.. ADRIAN BELEW not Eric Avery" Truth is... I am just retarded.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    I think the idea of Trent refusing to link Pitchfork is an entertaining one.
    I'm wondering if pitchfork got a lead that they weren't supposed to. I wonder if this news was supposed to come out another way.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaypayton View Post
    it will be the best post Fragile work easily...fuck all this rock guitar With Teeth nonsense..time to go back to electronics
    I 100% agree with you on this statement, I used to think that [With_Teeth] was an amazing album back in 2005, but realistically, all it was was the "God, it's been 5 years since you released an album, and went through rehab, I didn't think we would ever get new music from you ever again" part of me just being excited again that nails was back in the fold. However, as time went on, I can safely say he played his cards very safe by releasing that album. It was a very straightforward rock 'n roll album, it wasn't very experimental, it never brought in anything new to the NIN formula, in fact, it took a step back, jammed out with guitars and drums, no risks, it was a safe album to see if he was still realavent in today's music scene. After he got it out there and realized "OK. my fanbase is still there, I can do this, I played some gigs, I feel warmed up, time to get back into the whole experimental phase that NIN is known for" and then Year Zero came out.

It was new and fresh unlike anything else NIN had done, it was a full blown electronic album. The sound of [With_Teeth] was non-existant on this release what-so-ever. It was Trent Reznor with his creative juices flowing to the max once again.

HOWEVER...

Quote Originally Posted by jaypayton View Post
    The Slip was a rush job to promote the tour and Robin rejoining the band.
    Can you explain how the current situation is different than your above statement?
    So, The Slip was a last minute decision that was THROWN together to promote the 2008 tour and Robin coming back...
    How is that any different than the situation we current find ourself in now? Hmm... There is a HUGE tour about to start and Robin all of a sudden appeared out of nowhere? Hmm... Seems like history is repeating itself here... maybe, just maybe this album was thrown together in the last 12 hours as well to promote these 2 things, what a co-incidence!

Get with it, man!

If the SLIP was rushed out to promote the 2008 tour, then yes, this new album is gonna be amazing by that standard, because I feel that the Slip is right up there with PHM, TDS and TF, it's the best of the post-fragile albums hands down! I'm sure this new one will take the cake though, as The Slip is more like a "Broken EP" rather than an official full blown release. But, sometimes quantity does not always equal quality (GHOST I-IV I'm looking at you).

For the most part (asside from 999,999 and Corona Radiata) there are 8 other amazing tracks on that album. Demon Seed is probably one of the most interesting songs he has done since The Fragile days (Asside from Sunspots... I can never get enough of Sunspots). With Lights In The Sky being my favourite "slow" NIN song of all the slow NIN songs.

There is nothing out there in Trent's catalog that he would DARE rush out to promote something, this guy is an absolute perfectionist. if something isn't up to his standards, he will not let it see the light of Day. If TR doesn't think something is quality himself, he will not subject his fans to a sub-par release just for the sake of "promoting a tour". The Tour was going to happen in 2008 regardless on whether the Slip came out or not, he wasn't thinking "oh shit, since I announced a new tour I better Jimmy up some half-assed songs to go along with it, otherwise nobody will want to come". I'm sure he had it all planned out from 2008 tour announcement, he probably had some ideas already worked out from being on the road. Who's to say Demon Seed wasn't made BEFORE Ghosts 38? (the unreleased Ghosts track that just so happened to have the same music in it?) Maybe the rest of "The Slip" songs came from early workings of Ghosts material that was fleshed out and not used, i'm willing to bet that none of those songs were thrown together at the last minute to promote the tour, they were probably very early versions of scrapped Ghosts songs that never made the cut, and the decided to tweak them and make them "proper" NIN songs to go along with the 2008 "ghosts" tour.

EDIT: Well, this was my 666th post, maybe I should call it a day on ETS now, lol
    Last edited by ManBurning; 05-29-2013 at 01:23 AM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    The Slip wasn't something drastically different from existing work. In fact, it was very similar to some of NIN's previous most popular work. Go figure, an album designed to be a gift to the fans that is full of stuff that he knew fans would enjoy. Isn't that the point?!

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Trent pulled a Bowie!

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD View Post
    IT HAS BEGUN!!!
    hahaha perfect.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    So it's going to be old NIN with Josh Eustis? Slowclapping Trent right now tbh.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    The Slip wasn't something drastically different from existing work. In fact, it was very similar to some of NIN's previous most popular work. Go figure, an album designed to be a gift to the fans that is full of stuff that he knew fans would enjoy. Isn't that the point?!

EXACTLY!

(well, there goes my short lived "stop at 666 posts" theory. I knew I couldn't last that long, it was nice seeing it for the 5 minutes it lasted, lol)

The songs were not RUSHED together for the sake of the tour. They were probably songs that were sitting around on the back-burner waiting for a "proper" NIN release, and he just so happend to see an oppertunity to probably tweak them a bit, and as you mentioned, release them as a "gift" for the fans for the overwhelming success of the independant release of Ghosts I-IV.

The songs were going to show up one way or another before or after the tour. He probably just decided, hey since i'm hitting the road for Ghosts and I have the creative juices flowing, and I have all these totally awesome musicians at my disposal in my studio (Freese, Cortini, JMJ, Finck) Let's make some other awesome music to take on the road with us to promote this "Ghosts" tour, I just so happen to have some left over tracks from my Ghosts sessions that are begging for lyrics. And I know the perfect high pitched voice to add to add some "Yeah, yeah, yeah's" into Demon Seed!

But, that is probably why I like this album so much (The Slip), because as you said, it was a very "return to form" album for NIN. There was alot of familuar territory on it. It was like a flashback to the early days, loud and crunching guitar parts and interesting lyrical hooks.