Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson catch-all thread (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Per Marco Minnemann:

Tonight's concert in London had a few surprises. First of all it was the only show on this leg on which Theo Travis joined us on stage again, and as always he played amazing. And Bono (who bought a few tickets, but I hear also was seen in Monaco?!) and also David Gilmour (who's a very lovely guy, it was so cool to meet him) came to the show, so yeah, no pressure :-)). Thanks again for the great reactions. Next stop, Wolverhampton. Stage picture by the one and only Lasse Hoile.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Also, there are copies of the Hand. Cannot. Erase. deluxe edition up for pre-order again on Burning Shed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    About damn time. I've waited 3 years for them to release this on CD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just listened to Hand. Cannot. Erase. all the way through. Let me preface this by saying I am by no means what I would call a Steven Wilson fan. I really enjoyed In Absentia, but my exposure outside of that to Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson has been minimal. He always sort of came off as a pretentious.

Let me just say that I completely misjudged him. The level of thought he has put into this release is exaggerating. The music itself was great as well. Happy Returns and Ascendant Here On (the latter in particular) was a perfect way to end the album. I also really enjoyed the accessibility of the title track.

Great listen!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    This filled me me lots of happiness today

http://www.guitarworld.com/tres-caba...mer-tour-dates

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Following the sold out UK tour, I’m happy to announce 2 UK concerts at one of my favourite venues in the world, the Royal Albert Hall in London. These will take place on 28th and 29th September. Each night will feature a different set, and some very special guests. Please note that these shows will be my only UK appearances between now and the end of the year. -Steven Wilson

I'm going to assume here that we will get Ninet. Also, per my previous post, the Aristocrats tour ends on August 31st. I'm sure they will also be a part of these shows. I can also imagine these performances being filmed. There are also rumors of a show at the Radio City Music Hall. Either way, the RAH concerts look to be quite a special set of evenings.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Those dates will take place just under a week after David Gilmour's RAH residency...

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Steven jamming with Japan sans David Sylvian. Infinitely cool.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketScience View Post
    Steven jamming with Japan sans David Sylvian. Infinitely cool.
    Mick Karn could kill it on a fretless War.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So I ordered the limited edition Hand. Cannot. Erase. CD/DVD Mediabook edition from Amazon today. This is the "picture book" version, correct?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    i'm pretty sure the CD/DVD mediabook is the one sized for the 5" discs, akin to a beefed-up digipak.

the huge, book-sized edition with the diary includes the Blu-ray disc too. is this the one you wanted?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, the huge one is the one I was looking for. Is that one still available?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    https://www.burningshed.com/store/ks...duct/272/6311/

Yup, but it's expensive. With shipping it'll be around 100 bucks. But worth it to get now because copies on ebay will likely be over 200 by the end of the year if not already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Damnit that is extremely tempting.....

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redwingsrock View Post
    Damnit that is extremely tempting.....
    i promise you, it is 100% worth it.

also: @allegro have you checked out steven wilson? particularly his new album? i know you love king crimson and gentle giant, and i feel like this is RIGHT up your alley.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Yeah, went to the concert on Thursday in Munich and was very excited to be there. The venue was rather cool (an old theatre that doesn't really see any concerts) and I was given perfect seats. I was worried since we usually have to take what we can get when someone from the editorial staff gets put on the guestlist.

A very, very neat and thoughtful concert. A really great listening experience as well as accompanied by neat visuals (not campy at all as it is with other prog-rock artists) and a very exciting band to watch for their sound crafting experience. Steven is quite a nice entertainer which surprised me as I had expected him to remain rather quiet during songs.

The backdrop could have been a little bit bigger for the visuals to really shine but everything else really made up for it. One of the best sounding concerts I have witnessed and something truly unique. Of course the Porcupine Tree songs were my highlights but this record really shines with its story. As I said, I'm not a die hard fan and haven't really listened to his whole discography but I really enjoy him as a musician so it was quite special for me to be there and see all kinds of different people and an unusual show compared to most rock-concerts. Though very modern it felt quite nostalgic in parts and I was definitely reminded of bands like Floyd, King Crimson and all the other old shows I've seen by these kinds of bands.

Would have loved to shake hands with Steven in person but I was very pleased that I was given the tour book for free when I picked up my tickets. Don't know if everyone that had an interview with him got it or if this was an actual gift to me personally. Either way, a nice surprise and a cool addition to a joyful experience. Would very much like to see him again in the future or even for another gig on this leg of the tour.
    Last edited by dlb; 04-06-2015 at 11:56 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 04-13-2015 at 08:18 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    i dig Gavin's trickery and everything, but the technique he described (using subdivisions in the tempo of "Hatesong" to play the "Halo" parts at their original tempo) ends up being a waste of time – just sounds like the song changes tempo like normally happens without weird subdividing!

otherwise the album is amazing, though

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    i dig Gavin's trickery and everything, but the technique he described (using subdivisions in the tempo of "Hatesong" to play the "Halo" parts at their original tempo) ends up being a waste of time – just sounds like the song changes tempo like normally happens without weird subdividing!
    I agree, I think nearly nobody is going to pick up on this unless they listen to it with a click and even that would require them to know a bit about metric modulation (how for example 3 over 4 sounds). Even when transcribing, if they are not aware of it, they'll probably write a new tempo in the Halo section.

Nevertheless, I really enjoy the album. I've yet to listen to the 5.1 audio, I'm interested to hear how that sounds.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    He's launched Facebook and Twitter accounts solely devoted to his remix work.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Henry, I assume you're going to the Mexico City show. I've been looking up his setlists lately and I bet you'll be in for quite a treat, is all I'll say.

Tim Bowness' next solo album Stupid Things That Mean The World (great title) will be released in July, one of the bonus tracks is a No-Man demo mixed by SW and featuring members of the No-Man live band and Colin Edwin on various tracks among others. For those that haven't, please do give last year's Abandoned Dancehall Dreams a chance.

Also, Theo Travis has released a book, Twice Around The World: Steven Wilson Tour Blogs 2012-2013 chronicling his time on the road and in the studio during that time.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Henry, I assume you're going to the Mexico City show. I've been looking up his setlists lately and I bet you'll be in for quite a treat, is all I'll say.
    You are correct i have tickets for Saturday (i'm unable to attend on Friday), i haven't checked the setlists on purpose (i don't do that anymore), because i want to be surprised but my guess it's that he's playing the whole album (Hand. Cannot. Erase.) either "track by track" or in "disorder", i would love to hear "No part of me", let's see how it goes.
    Also: i'm sneaking out early from work today and i'm going to his autograph session, i hope to get another one, last session he did in here was a disaster and i ended up with nothing, still i was able to give him a good look because he passed right beside me when he came in.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Managed to get my autograph and a picture with the man himself!
    He looked very calm and was nice, pretty much like the first time i saw him at a signing, he had an awesome ABBA T-shirt; i told him that (Hand. Cannot. Erase.), was his best album yet and he replied: "Yea, i really think so too!", awesome guy what else can i say? oh yeah, seeing him live tomorrow! woooooo

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    (Feel like i'm monopolizing the thread lately...)

Wow! what an awesome concert, i'm always glad to spend my money in a ticket to watch Mr. Wilson and this time it was no exception, beautiful beautiful show!

Steven was really "chatty", he looked and sounded really glad to be here, he told us: "we were the ones to blame, for his solo career..." (a very nice lie, lol...).
    The guy spoils us so much, he even played 4 (Yes 4!) Porcupine Tree songs, including a beautiful guitar and piano only version of "How is your life today" (in this moment Steven claims that he has just rehearsed it in the afternoon and that he has forgotten the lyrics, he asks for help and a guy in first row reminds him the lyrics, lol...).
    He tells us that "...you might have noticed that my stuff isn't the happiest, this song is sad even for my standards!" and proceeds to play "Routine" (awesome and scary video for this one).
    My favorite part of the concert was when he played "Home Invasion/Regret #9" (best visuals on the whole show), the current band sounds so tight!, Craig Blundell is a monster drummer!
    He also did "Sleep together" by Porcupine Tree, woa... i wasn't expecting this one, oddly it fits with his solo stuff quite good, he also played "Trains" and "Lazarus" (One of my favorite songs by PT).
    I'm glad most of the show is songs from the new album, i just hoped for "No part of me", but i can't complain, the guy gave us a killer time!

Here's the setlist in case anyone likes to watch:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/steven...-53c8670d.html

Not ashamed to say i cried a couple of times during the show, it was truly emotional and beautiful, can't wait to see him again...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Steven Wilson has teamed up with Live Nation and Yahoo to live-stream his June 13th concert live from Los Angeles. This is one of 365 concerts to stream over a 12-month period on the Live Nation Channel on Yahoo Screen.Fans can tune in on June 13th at 8:00pm PT here:https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/steven-wilson.
    Fans will also have the freedom to stream the concert wherever they are through Yahoo Screen on iOS, Android, mobile web, desktop, and Smart TV platforms including Apple TV, Roku, and Xbox 360.

Excellent.