Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson catch-all thread (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Porcupine Tree: In Absentia, Deadwing, and Fear Of A Blank Planet (as well as the Nil Recurring EP) at first. They best represent the band's flirtation with heavy metal. Then I'd move onto earlier records like Signify, Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun. This is where Steven came into his own as a writer I feel, going into a more song-orientated direction. They still have a lot of space and atmosphere. Last, I'd say get into Up The Downstair and The Sky Moves Sideways. These were the last records of Porcupine Tree as a solo project of Steven's, with gradual involvement from the band. It's way more electronic-sounding, with SW's psychedelic guitar playing for good measure.

Solo-wise: Get all of them, but my personal favorite is Insurgentes.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    ^What he said: he's the expert...

I started with "Deadwing" and went "up" from there... I also think the live album "Warsawa" is a good place for PT beginners...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    https://soundcloud.com/kscopemusic/s...n-the-birthday
    Soundcloud link for 'The Birthday', from the upcoming Drive Home EP.

+) My blu+cd pre-order shipped today. Can't wait!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tour spoilers, in case anyone is going to his upcoming shows this month.

Spoiler: According to recent setlists, he's premiered two new tracks "Ancestral" (described as 15 minutes long) and "Break It (And It's Yours)". And he's been opening shows with an acoustic version of "Trains".

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Tour spoilers, in case anyone is going to his upcoming shows this month.

Spoiler: According to recent setlists, he's premiered two new tracks "Ancestral" (described as 15 minutes long) and "Break It (And It's Yours)". And he's been opening shows with an acoustic version of "Trains".
    Hope he's planning to release a decent live album for this tour, too.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The blu+EP arrived today. Live videos are amazing, so as the Raven orchestral version. Love the new song, too.

BTW, does Steven usually provide lyrics in his booklet? The lyrics on the internet seem very inaccurate.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Contrary to his minimal creative involvement on their last record, Steven will be touring with Blackfield on a number of European dates in February.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Grammy nominations were announced tonight. If anyone cares, Raven was not included in the nominees for Best Surround Mix.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Grammy nominations were announced tonight. If anyone cares, Raven was not included in the nominees for Best Surround Mix.
    meh, they guys at the Grammys are clueless... dont expect much from them...

It's also upsetting to see how "The Reven that refused to sing" is blatantly ignored from most "Best of 2013" lists... it's still number one in mine...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Raven made Rolling Stone's list of "Best Metal Albums of 2013", despite being well...anything but heavy metal.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    From his Facebook

21 things I liked this year (in no particular order)...

Boards Of Canada - Tomorrow’s Harvest (Warp)
    The Haxan Cloak - Excavation (Tri Angle)
    The Durutti Column - The Return of the Durutti Column (Factory Benelux vinyl reissue)
    Jakob Ullmann - Fremde Zeit Addendum (Editions RZ box set)
    A Field in England (film - directed by Ben Wheatley)
    The Savage Morality - First (Kurzwellen vinyl LP)
    Fleetwood Mac - 1969-72 (Rhino vinyl box set)
    John Grant - Pale Green Ghosts (Bella Union)
    Shifted - Under a Single Banner (Bed of Nails)
    Foals - Holy Fire (Warner Bros)
    Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement - Water Rose Above the Head (Bed of Nails EP)
    Lee Hazelwood - There’s a Dream I’ve Been Saving 1966-1971 (Light in the Attic box set)
    Sand - Sand (Kscope)
    Kanye West - Black Skinhead (music video)
    Autechre - Exai (Warp)
    IQ - Tales From the Lush Attic (Giant Electric Pea remix)
    Daft Punk - Random Access Memories (Columbia)
    I Am the Center - Private Issue New Age Music in America 1950-90 (Light in the Attic)
    Hafler Trio - A Cure for Kenophobia (Vinyl On Demand box set)
    Ensemble Pearl - Ensemble Pearl (Drag City)
    Spring Breakers (film - directed by Harmony Korine)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Boards of Canada's album was great, i can see SW listening to it, kind of a shock he likes Daft Punk, i'm glad this guy isn't close-minded...

I think it's safe to say "The Raven that refused to sing" is my favorite album from this year, it's already under my skin, can't wait for the 4th solo SW album... (maybe even a new Porcupine Tree album?)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Raven is definitely my number one for the year. Few close contenders, but yeah.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    can't wait for the 4th solo SW album... (maybe even a new Porcupine Tree album?)
    He said he plans on recording his next album in the summer, which makes me think it'll probably be out sometime next fall/early winter.

As for Porcupine Tree, I am still amazed that he's delayed the inevitable and not announced their parting of the ways yet. PT was a great band, but it's really clear to me that it was a necessary step towards what he's doing now under his own name. So for me it would feel like a step down if he returned to that group with material that may well be more suited to whatever group of musicians he plans on working with next if not the current band he's been using now.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    He said he plans on recording his next album in the summer, which makes me think it'll probably be out sometime next fall/early winter.

As for Porcupine Tree, I am still amazed that he's delayed the inevitable and not announced their parting of the ways yet. PT was a great band, but it's really clear to me that it was a necessary step towards what he's doing now under his own name. So for me it would feel like a step down if he returned to that group with material that may well be more suited to whatever group of musicians he plans on working with next if not the current band he's been using now.
    I understand what you mean and i do think his "solo" career is superior, yet he knows there's many PT fans and i would be such a shame not to listen a new album with Gavin Harrison, that guy is a f'n monster...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The fact that PT isn't dead, yet, is promising enough. I'm not yet convinced on which project is superior. They both have their differences and strengths.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

It's going to depend on SW, GH, CE, and RB. I'm sure there's a demand for PT gigs. Does everyone want to get together again after the hiatus? If money becomes an issue for all four, then a PT tour is imminent. All four PT members know that their fans would like to see them live again. They were one of the best live acts in progressive rock. The money is there waiting for them but do they all have the desire to tour with each other again?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    From his Facebook

Happy new year everyone! Thanks for the love and support you brought to my music in 2013, I can’t remember having a better response to an album / tour, and I’ve been doing this a long time, so that means a lot (-:

Usually at this time of year I like to post something of an update regarding what’s coming up. Last year there was a lot to announce with the imminent release of the album and touring plans but this year will be somewhat quieter while I concentrate on developing ideas and material for the next album, which I plan to record with my band in the Summer.

In the meantime there are a few reissues planned, including a compiled reissue of the Cover Version singles, a CD box set collecting various out of print Bass Communion titles, plus several more classic album stereo / 5.1 remixes, including the next in the series by XTC, Jethro Tull and Yes. Unfortunately contractual issues have so far made a hoped for 10th anniversary edition remaster collecting all the music from Porcupine Tree's “In Absentia” sessions not possible - hopefully that situation will change.

In terms of public appearances I will be playing a few shows with Aviv Geffen as part of Blackfield, a short run in European in February, you can find more information and ticket links on the Blackfield website, here - http://blackfieldmusic.com/live-dates/

Of course all developments will be announced here and on the official http://stevenwilsonhq.com site first. All that is left for me to do is wish you the very best for 2014!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    An "In Absentia" sessions CD would be great, it's my favorite PT album ever, i'm also waiting for a "Deadwing" deluxe edition...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    For anyone interested, I'd suggest ordering the CD/DVD versions of No-Man's Together We're Stranger and Schoolyard Ghosts while you can as they are going out of print. I think K-Scope is re-releasing them this year without the DVD.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I.E.M. – COMPLETE (4 CD BOX SET) REPRESS PRE-ORDER

A second edition repress of ToneFloat’s deluxe box set of Steven’s I.E.M. project is now available to pre-order for release in late Jan / early Feb. The set comes in a beautiful Carl Glover designed deluxe hardback slipcase, containing a 60 page booklet and 4 CDs, each housed in its own mini album sleeve, representing all of the recordings that Steven made under the name of I.E.M. (Incredible Expanding Mindfuck) between 1996-2001.

I.E.M. was an instrumental project inspired by Steven’s love of 70′s krautrock, and the music was made quickly and in the spirit of fun, mainly drawn from improvisations later edited and processed in the studio, interspersed with various cut up voices, archive recordings and additional noise elements. Other musicians appearing on the recordings include Colin Edwin (bass), Geoff Leigh (sax / flute), Mark Simnett (drums), and Chris Maitland (drums).

CD ONE: Incredible Expanding Mindfuck (1996)
    01. the gospel according to the i.e.m. (12.58)
    02. the last will and testament of emma peel (8.10)
    03. fie kesh (8.23)
    04. deafman (9.06)

CD TWO: An Escalator to Christmas EP (1999)
    01. an escalator to christmas (10.33)
    02. headphone dust (6.11)
    03. an escalator to christmas (extended) (13.04) * bonus track
    04. i.e.m. have come for your children (vinyl bonus version) (8.11) * bonus track

CD THREE: Arcadia Son (2001)
    01. wreck (1.25)
    02. beth krasky (0.26)
    03. we are not alone (8.02)
    04. cicadian haze (6.24)
    05. politician (1.08)
    06. arcadia son (7.56)
    07. shadow of a twisted hand across my house (20.23)
    08. goldilocks age 4 (1.12)

CD FOUR: IEM Have Come For Your Children (2001)
    01. untitled (35.37)
    02. untitled (8.02)
    03. untitled (7.10)
    04. untitled (12.02)
    05. untitled (5.29)
    06. untitled (4.31)
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 01-13-2014 at 09:06 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

A newly compiled and remastered 2LP vinyl edition of Steven Wilson’s “Cover Version” will be released by Kscope on 17th March. These completely solo singles were originally recorded and released quickly and with no artwork between 2003-2010 on Steven's own label Headphone Dust, with only the final release (Cover Version VI) coming in a special box to house all six CDs, with design by Carl Glover and a booklet of portraits of Steven by Hajo Mueller.

This 12 track album now compiles all 6 singles, with the cover versions on record one and the originals that were on the “B sides” on record two. The original artwork has been reworked by Carl Glover for the gatefold sleeve, which also now includes sleeve notes by Steven.

Available to pre-order now from Burning Shed and Headphone Dust.

A CD edition will follow later this year (release date to be confirmed).

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/headphonedust/
    Also according to the recent Kscope podcast, No-Man's Schoolyard Ghosts will be released as a deluxe edition sometime this year. I suspect Together We're Stranger will follow suit, considering the above post I made about the CD/DVD versions going out of print.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 01-16-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I suspect Together We're Stranger will follow suit, considering the above post I made about the CD/DVD versions going out of print.
    Was perusing SW's store earlier today after seeing the same announcement that you posted above. If I understand correctly, the "To Be Reissued in 2014" on this page confirms your suspicion, right?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Yeah. It was announced on the Burningshed Twitter account a few months ago. It and the CD/DVD edition of Schoolyard Ghosts are still in stock at Amazon at reasonable prices. If I had to guess, I would say that these new reissues don't include any surround mixes and are just 2-CD editions with extra material. Would love it if both of them had Blu-ray upgrades but again I would guess that that isn't the case.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 01-16-2014 at 10:08 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Does anyone have the I.E.M. Complete box set (first pressing) now? I remember these selling for well over $100 on eBay. I believe it's nice of SW to repress this nice box set so people don't have to pay scalper prices. But how does it make collectors feel when their rare box set (advertised as a one-off pressing) now isn't worth as much because a repress is going to be added to the mix?
    Last edited by [73]; 01-17-2014 at 05:32 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    considering the market severely overvalues everything SW touches, i think it's much better if they do occasional represses.

now where the hell is Transmission IV?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The recent Burningshed newsletter states that the Cover Version CD will come out sometime in the late spring.