PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64]

Tiger_Stealth
11-12-2023, 10:16 AM
Dear World and The Lovers are actually pretty awesome live. I experienced The Lovers live and have seen the videos of Dear World live and both are cool atmospheric/creepy songs to include in the setlist in between the higher energy songs.

Lastentrance
11-12-2023, 12:11 PM
Trent has spoken previously about the pressure of doing a NIN record, which I understand. But I really wonder what would be the result if he and Atticus stopped giving a fuck about that pressure. They don't owe anything to anybody at this point.

That’s pretty much how The Slip was made.

Frozen Beach
11-13-2023, 06:22 PM
I really wish Still had a 24bit release.

Shadaloo
11-15-2023, 01:30 PM
I miss nin

I came in here to say this but yeah

It feels like an entire chapter of my life has gone by without that fix. The last time I was able to see a show was 2013.

We are owed nothing. I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to sound demanding.

But dang it, it'd just be really nice about now.

Frozen Beach
11-18-2023, 09:06 PM
I wish Trent and Saul Williams would work together again.

Erneuert
11-19-2023, 12:02 AM

It feels like an entire chapter of my life has gone by without that fix. The last time I was able to see a show was 2013.

I’d even go for a WARM AND WHITE AND TEMPORARY tour right about now.

tony.parente
11-20-2023, 01:16 PM

Same.

I fear if you don't live in London, California, New York, Chicago or near Red Rocks you're gonna be forced to road trip for now on.

chuckrh
11-20-2023, 02:14 PM
Same.

I fear if you don't live in London, California, New York, Chicago or near Red Rocks you're gonna be forced to road trip for now on.
Trent seems to like Vegas, too. He did seem to like the venue in Bend OR (he talked about it during the show) last tour. It's awesome.

Erneuert
11-29-2023, 04:08 AM
Man, it feels just like yesterday that the TENTH anniversary edition of TDS came out, I remember ordering the SACD and DVD-A versions from Amazon in 2004.

Hopefully we’ll get Heresy (Demo) (Version) for the 30th anniversary in 2024?

Erneuert
11-29-2023, 08:31 PM
Adding to the above.

I still can’t get over this 10 year to 30 year time jump. How did it happen.

But then I see this, he’s 72, and that makes me feel happy again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YqZuo1WKk4&pp=ygUaanVkYXMgcHJpZXN0IHRyaWFsIGJ5IGZpcmU%3D (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2YqZuo1WKk4&pp=ygUaanVkYXMgcHJpZXN0IHRyaWFsIGJ5IGZpcmU%3D)

Swykk
12-15-2023, 11:51 AM
I keep hoping for a new NIN song/album/announcement as a Christmas present.

sweeterthan
12-15-2023, 01:28 PM

remember when he gave us the gift?

https://media2.giphy.com/media/ybPqnmFANAvBNZQptD/giphy.gif

tony.parente
12-15-2023, 01:39 PM
I'd almost rather have a US tour with a stop in STL.

scorpiusdiamond
12-20-2023, 12:55 PM
Listening through albums I missed this year
This is definitely incorporating a NIN sample right?
From 25 seconds

https://youtu.be/t5EZ85k8vLs?si=Cho78_KJsssi8F3r

versusreality
01-02-2024, 07:31 PM
I wonder if Trent is a fan of this piano player...I'm a massive fan. It's a total coincidence I am certain, but the first song reminds me a bit of something like "Adrift and at Peace" , along those lines.

https://youtu.be/HbSTjW4rdew?si=4FxPMbjfnson6TKS

stankeybearlover
01-03-2024, 05:10 AM
Do the people who are continually jonesing for more Ghosts realize that V and VI were rejected scores and that the concept behind the previous 4 was to create scores to daydreams? Which would actually mean that, if you include TRAR's scoring work, we've on average been getting a new Ghosts every 10 months since 2008.

Wretchedest
01-03-2024, 01:23 PM
Just moved and going through my stuff, I found a lithograph from the With Teeth pre release listening party! It's in pretty great condition especially considering I forgot that I even had it. Is it worth anything? Not selling it, but curious. I probably got one when I went to the year zero one as well but I don't remember what it looked like and it certainly isn't here.

Provoked me to listen to With Teeth again. Such a weird album for Nine Inch Nails. Listening now it really feels like there's two different albums here the raw drumming minimalist stuff like With Teeth and The Line Begins to Blur, and then the more club thumping kind of stuff the album is more known for. Feels like a very self conscious album. There's a lot of lyrics decrying conformity, and yet it's kind of tipping point for Nine Inch Nails into a more palatable sound. It's actually that more conventional dance material that feels more confident, ironically, and maybe that's why the band direction largely went that way.

Erneuert
01-04-2024, 07:35 PM
For anyone that doesn’t listen to Gary Numan and needs some convincing, I can’t praise this particular portion of this “Slave” remix enough, particularly if you’re a NIN fan.

From the quiet part that starts at 3:27, to that guitar riff, to that final, powerful synth line that plays over the “pray for someone, something, I’ll laugh at you” part, it just gives me fucking chills every time I hear it (skip to 3:27) -

https://youtu.be/XQOCxGdjGBg?si=UC2f_vP43lbw4ClP

Frozen Beach
01-14-2024, 03:54 PM
I wonder if Trent has played the game Dusk

Xen
01-15-2024, 01:03 PM
Someone made an edit of The Background World without the gap during the repeating section (can't think of a better name for it). It gives it a more ominous feeling in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDY-kWLHFGI

leftshoe18
01-15-2024, 03:05 PM
I greatly prefer this without the gaps. Artistic intent or whatever aside, it was just awful to listen to with the gaps for me.

cdm
01-15-2024, 03:23 PM
Much MUCH better and (to my ears) I really think that's what the track needed to let the beat and those underlying beep bops breathe while slowly decaying into chaos. I love that track and this makes me love it even more.

Xen
01-16-2024, 01:10 PM
I greatly prefer this without the gaps. Artistic intent or whatever aside, it was just awful to listen to with the gaps for me.

Yes, the first time hearing the track with the gaps was cool, but it gets annoying afterwards and I found myself skipping that part. The gapless edit is more palatable while still retaining that uneasy feeling.

Xen
01-16-2024, 01:12 PM
Much MUCH better and (to my ears) I really think that's what the track needed to let the beat and those underlying beep bops breathe while slowly decaying into chaos. I love that track and this makes me love it even more.

It feels like your on a sinking submarine descending slowly into the abyss, still alive but knowing that you're fate is sealed while the madness takes hold.

allegate
01-16-2024, 01:36 PM
to me it's the world getting stuck on repeat and degrading with each trip around until there's nothing left but noise in the background.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wulgaren
01-16-2024, 01:43 PM
honestly i don’t mind the pause because it gets kinda groovy lol

MrLobster
01-23-2024, 06:29 PM
Exceptionally random thought... is a HomePod (or HomePod Mini) considered a mono device in terms of playback for Broken.

I mean, I suppose I could just play it and find out but like I said, a random thought.

mfte
01-26-2024, 07:53 PM
On several occasions I have put on Add Violence on headphones, zoned out to The Background World and didn't notice that I was listening to pure noise of that degrading loop.

sweeterthan
01-30-2024, 03:44 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240130/f98688445397b2bf8ee917d248b6314f.jpg
stolen from fb. made me think of you. [emoji1665]

nmitchell86
01-30-2024, 10:39 PM
The "Hatred of Soon"... that sounds like a nin song title.

imail724
01-31-2024, 08:54 PM
Love Is Not Enough has gotta be a reference to Twin Peaks, right? The title, at least.

leftshoe18
02-03-2024, 05:14 PM
I was thinking the same thing on my recent rewatch of Peaks.

scorpiusdiamond
02-07-2024, 11:27 AM
Was going crazy today because the plucking 'acoustic' guitar in Station to Station by David Bowie reminded me of a NIN song... I thought at first it was Eraser but no, it's 3 Ghosts I. Okay not the same melody but the timbre is almost identical.
Anyone else hear it, or is it just me?

Kulerage
02-12-2024, 02:40 PM
Was going crazy today because the plucking 'acoustic' guitar in Station to Station by David Bowie reminded me of a NIN song... I thought at first it was Eraser but no, it's 3 Ghosts I. Okay not the same melody but the timbre is almost identical.
Anyone else hear it, or is it just me?
I suppose the tone is similar now that you mention it

Fadeout54321
02-14-2024, 06:06 AM
So the way I see it we are currently in our longest stretch of time between proper NIN albums. When I say proper I mean an album that it is not a score, a collaboration or an all instrumental album. The EP's I consider proper NIN albums. As of typing this it has been 2,063 days since Bad Witch was released. The longest span of time we have seen other than this was between The Fragile and With Teeth, that lasted 2,051 days. To say I am jonesing for a new NIN album would be an understatement. This current drought sucks. I do appreciate the scores and all of the other work being produced but man new NIN would be really great right about now!

fillow
02-14-2024, 07:20 AM
It also feels like there was 0 news on anything else (e.g. scores) for ages.
Even though actually The Killer score came out 3 months ago... Because of zero press promotion of both The Killer and TNMT, it feels like 3 years instead.

botley
02-14-2024, 08:04 PM
Halsey's album has kept me going for the past three years. I wanna hear them do more raw and exciting shit like that, less like the (bad) WitchGang.

trollmanen
02-14-2024, 09:47 PM
There's been a ton of stuff released since Bad Witch, but none of it comes close to a proper NIN release. Ghosts V and VI gave me the impression it was assembled from left overs very last minute without much advance thought. Given they're the only halos without any physical releases, I almost forget they exist sometimes. The score work has become less interesting to me over time. Watchmen was really cool, and Soul has some really nice moments. Other than those two though, the rest got played once or twice. I feel like as they've gotten deeper into scoring work, they're taking on more projects and the end result sounds like more generic score music. Not to say it doesn't have merit or anything, but it just doesn't feel as interesting to listen to apart from the film. The Halsey album is great, but it's definitely not a NIN album. I was really hoping something was going to happen with NIN last year, so hopefully this year we'll get something.

Tiger_Stealth
02-15-2024, 07:05 PM
Realistically, I'm hoping for a 2026 NIN tour and/or album. Either one would be more than enough to get my fix.

tony.parente
02-16-2024, 02:41 PM
Had chat gbt predict the next record. April of this year baby!

**Album Title:** "Beyond the Veil"
**Release Date:** April 27, 2024

**Track Listing:**
1. Prologue
2. Veil of Shadows
3. Echoes of Time
4. Digital Dreams
5. The Edge of Reality
6. Fractured Memories
7. Ghosts of Tomorrow
8. Into the Unknown
9. The Last Transmission
10. Ascension
11. Epilogue

amplific
02-16-2024, 03:11 PM
Had chat gbt predict the next record. April of this year baby!

**Release Date:** April 27, 2024

**Track Listing:**
1. Prologue
2. Veil of Shadows
3. Echoes of Time
4. Digital Dreams
5. The Edge of Reality
6. Fractured Memories
7. Ghosts of Tomorrow
8. Into the Unknown
9. The Last Transmission
10. Ascension
11. Epilogue

This sounds like a Chrono Trigger themed album and I am 100% onboard for that.

BenAkenobi
02-18-2024, 09:37 AM

It needs to include a cover of "Beyond the Wheel" by Soundgarden, boy oh boy would that be epic

scorpiusdiamond
02-19-2024, 07:10 AM
Talking of people being sued for logo infringement… https://www.instagram.com/p/C3hjPk9CCxh/?igsh=MW04b29pdm9wM3NseA==

elevenism
02-28-2024, 01:51 PM
I have a feeling NIN is...yeah, i'll say it. i don't wanna...
But i think NIN is almost over.

I always assumed, and it's all over this board, that by this point, he'd be doing "Still" type shows.
But instead, it's been fucktons of film scores, and the Halsey record.

I'm just hoping for at least ONE more album at this point.

I DO wonder what trent is writing, though, and i hope to GOD it's the Year Zero show, or a Year Zero book.

BRoswell
02-28-2024, 04:45 PM
If Trent and Atticus decide to put it to bed, I won't be surprised. They've both got families to take care of, and doing film scores requires a lot less time away from home than doing a NIN album and touring for it. I would love for there to be more, but I feel like waiting for some grand finale is kind of futile. Trent already waved goodbye once, so I don't see him doing that again, at least in the same way.

Disassociative
02-28-2024, 07:23 PM
I got a decent turntable and finally listened to my NIN definitive edition vinyls. I like it. It's different in a good way.

gorast
02-29-2024, 10:04 AM
Does anyone else feel like the highlighting of March of the Pigs’s 30th anniversary is weirdly conspicuous when the social accounts normally don’t highlight anniversaries in this manner? I wondered if maybe some kind of TDS 30th anniversary release could be brewing, but then while writing this I remembered that MOTP was in Fortnite a short while ago, so now it just kind of feels like brand synergy. So maybe this entire post is pointless, lol…

tony.parente
02-29-2024, 10:37 AM
Does anyone else feel like the highlighting of March of the Pigs’s 30th anniversary is weirdly conspicuous when the social accounts normally don’t highlight anniversaries in this manner? I wondered if maybe some kind of TDS 30th anniversary release could be brewing, but then while writing this I remembered that MOTP was in Fortnite a short while ago, so now it just kind of feels like brand synergy. So maybe this entire post is pointless, lol…

If they do another version of TDS and keep ignoring Year Zero i'm gonna....

Complain online.

allegate
02-29-2024, 11:00 AM
I was just thinking, wouldn't it be interesting if the did like Incubus and re-recorded TDS? But this time with the touring band?

fillow
02-29-2024, 12:00 PM
I was just thinking, wouldn't it be interesting if the did like Incubus and re-recorded TDS? But this time with the touring band?

allegate
02-29-2024, 03:23 PM
well yeah, I just mean recorded in a studio.

Avarik
02-29-2024, 04:31 PM

Ah yes, the 720p crowd mic audio that everyone was asking for

henryeatscereal
02-29-2024, 05:01 PM
Please don't, i hate when bands re-record classic albums, specially classics like TDS, the album is perfect as is; got no issue with a "live" version.

Toadflax
03-01-2024, 01:22 PM

TDS would be weird to me. The only album I could realistically see them doing this with is Pretty Hate Machine. Bring the live guitar aesthetic to HLAH and Terrible Lie, do the funky new version of Sanctified, reimagine Sin and Ringfinger, etc.

I love That's What I Get and Kinda I Want To, but if Trent hates them, they could be removed or swapped out with Get Down Make Love, and maybe a new interpretation of Maybe Just Once. Purest Feeling would likely not make the cut...

Ooh, and open with Now I'm Nothing / Terrible Lie and end with Head Like A Hole.

I don't necessarily want this to happen, and I love the original PHM as is, but I do think it would be fascinating to see what they would do with something like this.

Atu
03-01-2024, 03:33 PM
I could also see doing a Broken "live session", considering that they re-introduced HiS to the setlists. But yeah, re-recorded TDS would be too weird for me, too.

NIN64
03-04-2024, 04:12 PM
I’m dying for more music that hits as hard as Isn’t Everyone…

ickyvicky
03-22-2024, 07:34 AM
Today's Wordle (#1,007) is very NIN-y.

Disassociative
03-22-2024, 09:09 AM
Been listening to the trilogy in one continuous playlist tonight and this time I didn’t skip the noise loop in The Background World for the first time in a while and I forgot how well it goes into Shit Mirror that way. The sudden start hits you in the face a bit harder like that.

sweeterthan
03-22-2024, 10:06 AM
Today's Wordle (#1,007) is very NIN-y.

thanks for the hint. got it in 3 coz of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erneuert
03-29-2024, 11:49 PM
@elevenism (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475) - think this from NIN Spotting will resonate with you a lot. Over And Out.

https://www.interviewmagazine.com/film/how-david-dastmalchian-and-trent-reznor-tamed-their-demons

REZNOR: I appreciate you saying that. As we head to the end of this, the thing that I’ve asked myself is, I can’t kid myself that I’m young anymore. You know what I mean? You’ll find out.

DASTMALCHIAN: My Fiber Well gummies remind me every morning that I am far from it, my friend.

REZNOR: I’ve started to think more about how things are finite. What matters? My kids matter, my wife matters. But in terms of my work, really just thinking about that. What’s the hill that I want to climb and what am I getting from it? The answer that I’ve come to is the feeling of finishing a song in the studio and feeling like this is the best work I can do. You might like it, you might not. It might be successful, or no one will pay any attention to it. But I know I tapped into something. That’s the payoff. It’s not the chart position or the snarky comments or the praise or the feedback. I’m not saying those things don’t play roles, but it’s not the point. For me, if I tap into that thing, and the creation process, I have a value that I didn’t. It might be the broken voice in me that still speaks up, but I feel validated. For you is it acting? Is it writing? Is it with Good Fiend Films, your production company?

sweeterthan
03-31-2024, 09:47 AM
what is he really saying with this article? “i’m becoming something new”. my abandonment feels have been going off since the “hope to see you soon” message. a lot of people online speculating that sentence means he’ll do something nin related but if you ask me, all signs point to no nin from him anytime in the near future. his arc has been amazing and i love watching it continue in this infinite and abundant direction but i can’t help but feel he’s not going to back to the thing from the “dangerous” past. he doesn’t need to. especially with how seemingly great his present is. i wish all the best for him. my hope is that still includes nin but I’m prepared for it to stay on the back burner for now.

MrSlfDstruct
03-31-2024, 11:03 AM
Is the Remix 2014 EP floating around anywhere? I had it saved and just now realized it didn’t make the jump from Beats to Apple Music.

Ruined
03-31-2024, 12:04 PM
Thinking about Trent's seemingly soft retirement from NIN, as with others, my feelings are mixed. Selfishly, I'll miss looking forward to new NIN albums and/or concerts. However, I understand why he might feel it's time to move on from NIN. NIN's music is so unique in that it really is so damn raw and painfully honest. One of the many things I love about Trent is he never seemed to "fake it." Whatever he sang, I felt that he meant it. Since his art is quite dark, speaking to his many struggles toward finding peace, it would seem unhealthy for him to go onstage and try to relive those emotions and memories for a months-long tour. Again, he's not one to fake it and his body of work just isn't something you can perform as some detached character (he mentioned that in his recent Dastmalchian interview). That honesty was what gives his music so much power. In another old Woodstock video that was posted here, Trent also mentioned he'd rather be dead than do a nostalgia tour. Again, I can appreciate that: I'd rather he retire NIN than go out to just do it for a paycheck. Given the ambiguous signals from "see you soon," to his comment about exploring writing during his Dastmalchian interview, it seems he's still working out his next creative move. I look forward to whatever that is and, personally, am grateful for all the music, and memories, he's given me throughout most of my life.

explodey
03-31-2024, 01:49 PM
I wonder what the With Teeth trademark (https://uspto.report/company/Trarmsa-L-L-C#google_vignette) application is for - some kind of digital entertainment service? It seems like something is being planned.

piggy
03-31-2024, 02:39 PM
Is the Remix 2014 EP floating around anywhere? I had it saved and just now realized it didn’t make the jump from Beats to Apple Music.
http://nindestruct.com/music.html (under the 'Seeds' section)

Erneuert
04-01-2024, 07:12 AM
I wonder why “The Fragile” title track was played live so sparsely, especially when promoting its namesake? It got that professional live TV treatment, and appeared after the encore on a few dates in 2000, but only got some heavy rotation in 2009.

mfte
04-01-2024, 07:38 AM
I wonder why “The Fragile” title track was played live so sparsely, especially when promoting its namesake? It got that professional live TV treatment, and appeared after the encore on a few dates in 2000, but only got some heavy rotation in 2009.

May be a little boring to play live, and it might be a hard song to fit into a set list because it's such a slow burn.

The Fragile era seemed kind of promotionally confused. Video for the first single scraped, second single was played live once only years after the fact, third single didn't get much live love, the hailmary play that was "starsuckers"

trollmanen
04-01-2024, 09:50 AM
I wonder what the With Teeth trademark (https://uspto.report/company/Trarmsa-L-L-C#google_vignette) application is for - some kind of digital entertainment service? It seems like something is being planned.

Didn't Trent mention around the time of its release that there was some book he was working on that was associated with the album? Maybe I'm way off, but I seem to remember it being mentioned.

MrSlfDstruct
04-01-2024, 12:11 PM
http://nindestruct.com/music.html (under the 'Seeds' section)

Thanks so much, and what a great find in that site. My attention hasn't been what it used to be so that's new to me. Thanks again, I love this community.

This is one I was always waiting for. I'm grateful to have the MTV performance since it IS such a rarity. I always thought it would be a good opener. Slow burn into a heavy ending could lead into so many songs.

blindpig
04-04-2024, 10:58 PM

Well, now we know!

mfte
04-05-2024, 09:33 AM
Sitting on a train, listening to instrumentals, I am noticing just how much the Moog synth features on TDS. The Perfect Drug also appears to be the only NIN song to have cowbell.

elevenism
04-07-2024, 09:51 AM
@elevenism (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2475) - think this from NIN Spotting will resonate with you a lot. Over And Out.

https://www.interviewmagazine.com/film/how-david-dastmalchian-and-trent-reznor-tamed-their-demons

REZNOR: I appreciate you saying that. As we head to the end of this, the thing that I’ve asked myself is, I can’t kid myself that I’m young anymore. You know what I mean? You’ll find out.

DASTMALCHIAN: My Fiber Well gummies remind me every morning that I am far from it, my friend.

REZNOR: I’ve started to think more about how things are finite. What matters? My kids matter, my wife matters. But in terms of my work, really just thinking about that. What’s the hill that I want to climb and what am I getting from it? The answer that I’ve come to is the feeling of finishing a song in the studio and feeling like this is the best work I can do. You might like it, you might not. It might be successful, or no one will pay any attention to it. But I know I tapped into something. That’s the payoff. It’s not the chart position or the snarky comments or the praise or the feedback. I’m not saying those things don’t play roles, but it’s not the point. For me, if I tap into that thing, and the creation process, I have a value that I didn’t. It might be the broken voice in me that still speaks up, but I feel validated. For you is it acting? Is it writing? Is it with Good Fiend Films, your production company?

Absolutely, with the aging.
And, oddly enough, i, myself, am working on an avant-garde music project my wife and mother don't even like. But it's what i want to do...in fact, i feel like i HAVE to do it. Jesus, dude.
Did i mention that, or is it some fucking strange synchronicity?

Erneuert
04-07-2024, 06:22 PM
Absolutely, with the aging.
And, oddly enough, i, myself, am working on an avant-garde music project my wife and mother don't even like. But it's what i want to do...in fact, i feel like i HAVE to do it. Jesus, dude.
Did i mention that, or is it some fucking strange synchronicity?

It’s elevenism synchronicity 11:11.

Shadaloo
04-08-2024, 04:17 PM
Got to be in one of the best locations on the continent, within the totality, to watch the solar eclipse build. My soundtrack for the experience was Further Down The Spiral and Recoiled. :)

Well, now we know!

This is what it feels like

GulDukat
04-16-2024, 11:31 PM
I'd like to hear NIN cover something by The Doors. Maybe "Love Me Two Times."

fillow
04-17-2024, 03:11 AM
There is an alternate universe in which Ghosts V and VI were released as Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross albums rather than NIN. That universe is balanced, there's no war and hunger there. (But also still no Year Zero and The Slip reissues).

trollmanen
04-17-2024, 10:14 AM
There is an alternate universe in which Ghosts V and VI were released as Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross albums rather than NIN. That universe is balanced, there's no war and hunger there. (But also still no Year Zero and The Slip reissues).

For me, that's the way I look at them. I typically forget they exist, and think of Bad Witch as the last NIN material released. Given the blurred lines of the Ghosts material and how it was basically foreshadowing their film work, they probably should have just been released as TR/AR.

stankeybearlover
04-20-2024, 03:20 PM
I desperately want TRAR to compose and record an album together with Tigran Hamasyan.