PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Microwave Jellyfish
06-25-2018, 10:32 AM
whoa, any reason given?
Maybe he couldn't see the fucking piano.

snichols
06-25-2018, 03:04 PM
i finally bought a really good set of sony headphones today and am starting to listen to the nin catalog. i am currently listening to sanctified and hearing things i've never heard before! its going to bee a fun week!

nmitchell86
06-25-2018, 03:11 PM
i finally bought a really good set of sony headphones today and am starting to listen to the nin catalog. i am currently listening to sanctified and hearing things i've never heard before! its going to bee a fun week!

Headphone are the way to go! I know this is a little off topic but what model?

snichols
06-25-2018, 03:14 PM
MDR XB450. got them super cheap at a pawn shop. love em!

MacabreMagpie
06-25-2018, 03:21 PM
Listening to the studio version of 'Piggy' for the first in a while, recently and was genuinely shocked to realise that "hey motherfucking pig" isn't in the second verse.

ltrandazzo
06-25-2018, 04:09 PM
Listening to the studio version of 'Piggy' for the first in a while, recently and was genuinely shocked to realise that "hey motherfucking pig" isn't in the second verse.

It is when I sing it.

ryanmcfly
06-25-2018, 04:20 PM

Piggy is one of the songs where I never listen to the studio version of it unless i am listening to the album in full. The studio version is so dull to me. The vocals in the live versions are so much better.

WorzelG
06-25-2018, 04:22 PM
I remember listening to the Ghosts Piggy version on the LITS tour and I could hear a slight hesitation at that part until he went on to sing ‘mother fucking pig’ like he was weighing up if he should sing that or not

sheepdean
06-25-2018, 05:22 PM
Terrible Lie not having "You [fucking] promised me" throws me sometimes too

neorev
06-25-2018, 05:36 PM
Perhaps this has been said before, but a part of me would like to see a Nine Inch Nails / Muse tour. I know it seems like an odd pairing, but I think it could work.

http://live105.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/facebook.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bb/6f/43/bb6f4319a74cfbdaa7b6637df037b1d9.jpg

kel
06-25-2018, 07:02 PM
please no.

iamclassic
06-25-2018, 07:16 PM
Terrible Lie not having "You [fucking] promised me" throws me sometimes too

When I'm singing along to it I just sing fucking promised. ... There's a little bit of time for it

sheepdean
06-25-2018, 07:17 PM
Perhaps this has been said before, but a part of me would like to see a Nine Inch Nails / Muse tour. I know it seems like an odd pairing, but I think it could work.
Trent's vaguely anti-government stuff combined with Matt's literally insane anti-everything stuff? They'd just sit in a locked box scared of opening the door

Ruined
06-25-2018, 07:28 PM
Seeing that clip of Robin singing most of "Shit Mirror," with Trent, just makes me excited to (hopefully) see it played live, in December!

thevoid99
06-25-2018, 07:33 PM
please no.

I agree friend.

eversonpoe
06-25-2018, 10:34 PM
"over and out" is what i wanted "while i'm still here" to be. i also think it has replaced "ripe (with decay)" as my favorite album-ending track on a NIN record. it gives me goosebumps every single time i hear it.

Deacon Blackfire
06-26-2018, 12:19 AM
As I've said elsewhere, the trilogy is basically the exact opposite of Hesitation Marks, and Over and Out is definitely a perfect foil to While I'm Still Here. While I'm Still Here is a heartfelt and somewhat peaceful sense of resignation and acceptance of mortality as the void slowly creeps in and inevitably rends it all into oblivion. Over and Out, on the other hand, is this musical equivalent of idly twiddling your thumbs as you wait for the end, devoid of any meaning or purpose to populate what little time remains left with - and as opposed to Black Noise, which characterizes the oblivion that consumes the ending as terrifying and overpowering, the outro of Over and Out is almost alarmingly peaceful and as close to soothing as Bad Witch gets. As if the only peace our foul species can hope to achieve is in death, and the potential in that blackness of nonexistence for something less tainted than us to emerge.

Fun stuff!

sheepdean
06-26-2018, 09:39 AM
As the only commonality between the trilogy is the word "World" in song titles, how about we call it the Worlds Trilogy?

Or World's End

Pbgut
06-26-2018, 11:25 AM
As the only commonality between the trilogy is the word "World" in song titles, how about we call it the Worlds Trilogy?

Or World's End

I'm Not From This Dear Background World,

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-26-2018, 06:15 PM
FUCK, "Shit Mirror" is incredible.

Kyle
06-26-2018, 06:33 PM
They also all have the word "the" in a song title

sweeterthan
06-26-2018, 06:36 PM
They also all have the word "the" in a song title

The nine inch nails plays the shit mirror live for the first time Eva!

GavinCollins420
06-26-2018, 09:39 PM
Has anyone listened to the debut album from SOPHIE that came out this month? (Fucking great album by the way.)

https://open.spotify.com/track/3JcAmI9Qtl7NCBTfo9exSJ?si=Na_D9ICVTSOrYEPaQPODUQ

The last track, Whole New World/Pretend World does this thing where the main beat degrades and disappears over time until it's just an ambient whirring sound. Reminded me of The Background World, but kind of the opposite end of it where it gets taken apart piece by piece rather than becoming a behemoth wall of noise.

Even the title is similar!

Could, obviously, just all be in my head, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Alabaster Creature
06-27-2018, 12:25 AM
Has anyone listened to the debut album from SOPHIE that came out this month? (Fucking great album by the way.)

https://open.spotify.com/track/3JcAmI9Qtl7NCBTfo9exSJ?si=Na_D9ICVTSOrYEPaQPODUQ

The last track, Whole New World/Pretend World does this thing where the main beat degrades and disappears over time until it's just an ambient whirring sound. Reminded me of The Background World, but kind of the opposite end of it where it gets taken apart piece by piece rather than becoming a behemoth wall of noise.

Even the title is similar!

Could, obviously, just all be in my head, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Hey I posted about this record. [Written Later] So I am going to type out a mini-essay on this apparently. If you do not want an analysis that is not grounded in actual music theory, and instead solely attempts to give specific language to aesthetic and textural choices: skip this.

This particular, broadly defined dynamic, of a dense and noisy section into a sparser more ambient verse that you bring up, is if not common, a known "trope." Lots of post-rock songs have a similar, if perhaps distinct from what you are describing, dynamic. Gradual deterioration as a concept of course rears it's head in other Reznor stuff, from off-the-top-of-my-head, like 'Closer to God' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp8tj850L2A). I am not sure any other commercially available SOPHIE songs (there may be a bootleg) do this, but some of her PC Music contemporaries have certainly done stuff that lands or nearly lands in ambient territory like the final sections of both these songs. Without diving into the PC music backcatalog, I'd say the bridge of AG Cook's 'Superstar' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RYudOmSk80) gets "pretty ambient." Though my head actually goes somewhere else specific with regards to the outro of the Add Violence track.

'The Background World's' perhaps most obvious point of comparison RE: degradation for me, was the The Disintegration Loops (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Disintegration_Loops). With the final section of that song clearly looping as it degrades. It's possible that this a common influence, if not the origin of these specific ideas on these specific songs. The two hypothetical arguments that Mr. Reznor and Ms. Xeon probably know Disintegration Loops, look really similar. Though this is not a SOPHIE board so I'll just do the latter. I suspect Sophie is familiar with William Basinski's work if only because she's an "acclaimed experimental electronic musician", and the degree of creative curiosity it takes to cultivate the imagination to ever end up in that space (being acclaimed) means she's probably heard his work before. Basinski's work is a big deal in ambient and avant-garde spaces, she's at least got to have absorbed some influence from him second-hand1. Though at the same time I have to now acknowledge there's lots other possible influences here.

Like I already said, lots of music does this. Particularly in more fringe genres, to try and prove that point here's another record-closing song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JR1O4Ym318) from this year that does something similar. But I think you're getting at something more specific. I mean, the degradation in one of my earlier examples 'Closer to God,' is way simpler than in either of the two songs you were originally comparing. Neither is just letting some effect ring-out/feedback to provide a drone, both songs are specifically arranged to eventually create that effect. It's not just changes on the timbre level, but also what instrumentation is present. The drums, the lead synth, and the "lead" vox parts finish or fade out on the Sop

The way Sophie breaks things down on 'Whole New World/Pretend World' feels very "modern" it reminds of Arca, Lotic, and other "deconstructed club music" I do not think people that was ever really named ever given a genre label that stuck for good and/or bad. It is then filtered through some Tim Hecker-y, or Ben Frost like droning music we also have also apparently not reached consensus (http://www.factmag.com/2014/12/04/power-ambient-the-sound-of-2014-if-you-were-listening-closely/) on what language (http://www.electronicbeats.net/audioccult-vol-115-finding-the-right-albums-for-your-goth-teen/) to use for (http://www.thefader.com/2016/01/22/roly-porter-interview) (ambient, goth, dance)2. Reznor's version of this "degrad" is more rooted in "industrial" proper to me: it recalls the music of Coil et al. as that's where so much of his palette seems to come from. Describing NIN as "industrial" is A) not novel at all B) definitely open to argument, but please go with me here. Now, industrial I think clearly influenced many people the first two """movements"''' I have described here. Though there is a distinction worth noting3. If I am going to reductively give the commonality here, all of this stuff is from the deliberately messier ends of electronic music.

But these songs are not only their instrumentation they have clear texts in the form of their song titles and lyrics. Both those songs also have "world" in their titles, which reflects their length and scope. Though that word's thematic purpose in both songs is different. We all know this is long, so right to the point: SOPHIE's "world" is if not one of her own creation, one she is ushering in via this album and this specific song, which in some ways feels like a distillation of her earlier material. In contrast Reznor seems to have no agency over or within "the background world," he can draw attention to it, but it looms over him. Both "worlds" are anxious, in the NIN song because of apparent creeping doom, and in the SOPHIE song because of of the implied endless possibility space that is emerging.

Both songs need their scope to make that transition you highlight actually register as a real moment, and that moment also enables and underlines that apparent scope. I mean they both crack nine minutes. Thematically they need that moment because they are both about emergence of new and more ambiguous or ambivalent ways of being into our lives. SOPHIE did similar drone work on [I]'Pretending' but it was still pretty new material for her as of this record. I had never heard NIN take this particular method to making drone before 'The Background World.' They both enter new (to them!), droning, sonic spaces on these songs. While we're talking theme, I think gender is crucial to both SOPHIE and NIN, if not the 'The Background World' particularly.

I think I have only just begun to establish a context in which both SOPHIE and NIN can be contained, but doing that well is still a much bigger effort. I think and hope this compare and contrast illuminates both songs more. Thanks for spurring my lengthy thoughts on this, thanks to anyone who indulges me by reading this.
(hey do you like SOPHIE and noisy music? Find this by searching "SOPHIE" on this board? Read this essay (http://www.trickymothernature.com/asexclosetonoise.html) by somebody that is not me)

1. This is kind of gossipy, but I have also gotten the impression that Alessandro Cortini and Basinski are professionally familiar at least.
2. My feeling is that these two spaces are broadly recognized as kinds of super-genres, but if pressed I will cede that maybe this is a stretch. Also hey, if we're being cynical we could say this whole essay is a stretch, but I'm just trying to demonstrate self-awareness here.
3. There's also something to be said about trying to describe an artistic moment/movement/sub-genre/whatever by [I]it's edges instead of by it's core is often problematic. I think I've defined 'The Background World' and 'Whole New World/Pretend World' by their cores okay already and I need to be finishing this.

ChipRock
06-27-2018, 07:20 AM
Seeing a few comments with regards to Trent playing sax on Bad Witch, so I'd just like to declare my approval of more saxophone in Nine Inch Nails records. It would be awesome.

This leads me to the sax scene (LOL) in Lost Highway. Looking this up just now I read that Pullman does actually play that solo, despite having not played the instrument before. Possibly untrue, but if so then I want a Pullman / Reznor duet on a Lost Highway influenced jam session for the next tour. I'd crowdfund that shit.

GavinCollins420
06-27-2018, 07:24 AM
Hey I posted about this record. [Written Later] So I am going to type out a mini-essay on this apparently. If you do not want an analysis that is not grounded in actual music theory, and instead solely attempts to give specific language to aesthetic and textural choices: skip this.

This particular, broadly defined dynamic, of a dense and noisy section into a sparser more ambient verse that you bring up, is if not common, a known "trope." Lots of post-rock songs have a similar, if perhaps distinct from what you are describing, dynamic. Gradual deterioration as a concept of course rears it's head in other Reznor stuff, from off-the-top-of-my-head, like 'Closer to God' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp8tj850L2A). I am not sure any other commercially available SOPHIE songs (there may be a bootleg) do this, but some of her PC Music contemporaries have certainly done stuff that lands or nearly lands in ambient territory like the final sections of both these songs. Without diving into the PC music backcatalog, I'd say the bridge of AG Cook's 'Superstar' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RYudOmSk80) gets "pretty ambient." Though my head actually goes somewhere else specific with regards to the outro of the Add Violence track.

'The Background World's' perhaps most obvious point of comparison RE: degradation for me, was the The Disintegration Loops (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Disintegration_Loops). With the final section of that song clearly looping as it degrades. It's possible that this a common influence, if not the origin of these specific ideas on these specific songs. The two hypothetical arguments that Mr. Reznor and Ms. Xeon probably know Disintegration Loops, look really similar. Though this is not a SOPHIE board so I'll just do the latter. I suspect Sophie is familiar with William Basinski's work if only because she's an "acclaimed experimental electronic musician", and the degree of creative curiosity it takes to cultivate the imagination to ever end up in that space (being acclaimed) means she's probably heard his work before. Basinski's work is a big deal in ambient and avant-garde spaces, she's at least got to have absorbed some influence from him second-hand1. Though at the same time I have to now acknowledge there's lots other possible influences here.

Like I already said, lots of music does this. Particularly in more fringe genres, to try and prove that point here's another record-closing song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JR1O4Ym318) from this year that does something similar. But I think you're getting at something more specific. I mean, the degradation in one of my earlier examples 'Closer to God,' is way simpler than in either of the two songs you were originally comparing. Neither is just letting some effect ring-out/feedback to provide a drone, both songs are specifically arranged to eventually create that effect. It's not just changes on the timbre level, but also what instrumentation is present. The drums, the lead synth, and the "lead" vox parts finish or fade out on the Sop

The way Sophie breaks things down on 'Whole New World/Pretend World' feels very "modern" it reminds of Arca, Lotic, and other "deconstructed club music" I do not think people that was ever really named ever given a genre label that stuck for good and/or bad. It is then filtered through some Tim Hecker-y, or Ben Frost like droning music we also have also apparently not reached consensus (http://www.factmag.com/2014/12/04/power-ambient-the-sound-of-2014-if-you-were-listening-closely/) on what language (http://www.electronicbeats.net/audioccult-vol-115-finding-the-right-albums-for-your-goth-teen/) to use for (http://www.thefader.com/2016/01/22/roly-porter-interview) (ambient, goth, dance)2. Reznor's version of this "degrad" is more rooted in "industrial" proper to me: it recalls the music of Coil et al. as that's where so much of his palette seems to come from. Describing NIN as "industrial" is A) not novel at all B) definitely open to argument, but please go with me here. Now, industrial I think clearly influenced many people the first two """movements"''' I have described here. Though there is a distinction worth noting3. If I am going to reductively give the commonality here, all of this stuff is from the deliberately messier ends of electronic music.

But these songs are not only their instrumentation they have clear texts in the form of their song titles and lyrics. Both those songs also have "world" in their titles, which reflects their length and scope. Though that word's thematic purpose in both songs is different. We all know this is long, so right to the point: SOPHIE's "world" is if not one of her own creation, one she is ushering in via this album and this specific song, which in some ways feels like a distillation of her earlier material. In contrast Reznor seems to have no agency over or within "the background world," he can draw attention to it, but it looms over him. Both "worlds" are anxious, in the NIN song because of apparent creeping doom, and in the SOPHIE song because of of the implied endless possibility space that is emerging.

Both songs need their scope to make that transition you highlight actually register as a real moment, and that moment also enables and underlines that apparent scope. I mean they both crack nine minutes. Thematically they need that moment because they are both about emergence of new and more ambiguous or ambivalent ways of being into our lives. SOPHIE did similar drone work on [I]'Pretending' but it was still pretty new material for her as of this record. I had never heard NIN take this particular method to making drone before 'The Background World.' They both enter new (to them!), droning, sonic spaces on these songs. While we're talking theme, I think gender is crucial to both SOPHIE and NIN, if not the 'The Background World' particularly.

I think I have only just begun to establish a context in which both SOPHIE and NIN can be contained, but doing that well is still a much bigger effort. I think and hope this compare and contrast illuminates both songs more. Thanks for spurring my lengthy thoughts on this, thanks to anyone who indulges me by reading this.

1. This is kind of gossipy, but I have also gotten the impression that Alessandro Cortini and Basinski are professionally familiar at least.
2. My feeling is that these two spaces are broadly recognized as kinds of super-genres, but if pressed I will cede that maybe this is a stretch. Also hey, if we're being cynical we could say this whole essay is a stretch, but I'm just trying to demonstrate self-awareness here.
3. There's also something to be said about trying to describe an artistic moment/movement/sub-genre/whatever by [I]it's edges instead of by it's core is often problematic. I think I've defined 'The Background World' and 'Whole New World/Pretend World' by their cores okay already and I need to be finishing this.Dude, you went above and beyond. Great read.

spahn
06-27-2018, 08:56 AM
just wanted to give a HUGE THANKS! to nmitchell86 for obtaining the BotP poster for me over in Vegas. Got me #119 and even threw in the Vegas magazine with the NIN article as well.

nmitchell86
06-27-2018, 11:02 AM
just wanted to give a HUGE THANKS! to nmitchell86 for obtaining the BotP poster for me over in Vegas. Got me #119 and even threw in the Vegas magazine with the NIN article as well.

No problem homie!

neorev
06-27-2018, 12:46 PM
Trent should perform the trilogy in full live. Could be a cool way to visually flesh out the story being presented into a three act sorta play live. Give each act/section of the show its own distinct look and feel.

StockAvuryah
06-27-2018, 01:59 PM
About the relation to Bowie, with Bad Witch.

The album "Heathen" is very relevant.

It was made in 2002 when Bowie was 55yo (Trent is now 53).

Bowie said that "the songs deal with the general feeling of anxiety that he'd had in America for a number of years".

And in the track "Afraid", the end lyrics are :

"I won't be Be afraid

Anymore
Anymore
Anymore"

--

And while I'm on this, here are some bits of Bowie tracks that reminds me of some Trent tracks :

In Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) : "And I'll love her till the day she dies"

And in She's Gone Away : "Yeah, I was watching on the day she died"

In Ashes to Ashes : "Hitting an all-time low"

And in Hesitation Marks : "All Time Low"

In The Leon Suites (first suite, Leon takes us Outside): "But wait, I’m getting ahead of myself"

And in Bad Witch : "Ahead of Ourselves"

Bachy
06-27-2018, 07:41 PM
Wasn’t sure if this should go in Random NIN or Random Sccore Thoughts, but after last year’s “Halloween” cover, I’d really like to see Trent & Atticus tackle other famous horror movie tracks. Such as the theme songs from The Shining, The Thing, and one that I think they would definitely be able to annihilate, “Tubular Bells” from The Exorcist.

Deacon Blackfire
06-27-2018, 08:06 PM
Trent should perform the trilogy in full live. Could be a cool way to visually flesh out the story being presented into a three act sorta play live. Give each act/section of the show its own distinct look and feel.

I hope the next Nine Inch Nails release isn't some combination/altered version of the trilogy, but if they performed this, recorded it, and released it as a live album and or Blu-Ray...I'd be more than okay with that.

Wasn’t sure if this should go in Random NIN or Random Sccore Thoughts, but after last year’s “Halloween” cover, I’d really like to see Trent & Atticus tackle other famous horror movie tracks. Such as the theme songs from The Shining, The Thing, and one that I think they would definitely be able to annihilate, “Tubular Bells” from The Exorcist.

As a huge horror movie fan, this shit would be an absolute dream. The ones you mentioned, and so many others, well, I can only imagine how good they'd sound, and with TR's seeming appreciation for the genre I imagine there'd be some interesting picks. Alien, Hellraiser, Videodrome, Eyes Without A Face, Onibaba, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, Day of the Dead, even something like Pumpkinhead. The list goes on and on. The soundtrack for the original Tetsuo: The Iron Man was clearly a NIN influence (the whole film is a clear NIN influence, really) and covers of any of those pieces would kill, and hell, you can bet that a TR & AR version of some of the seemingly structure-less, ambient music from the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre would be terrifying.

GavinCollins420
06-27-2018, 08:31 PM
Boy, I sure want NIN to do a UK tour like they did in 2014. NIN live became something accessible to me. That shit was a dream come true.

"But they just played in London!"

The UK is more than London. I'm in a whole different country than London. Getting there costs SO MUCH MONEY.

sheepdean
06-27-2018, 08:35 PM
Boy, I sure want NIN to do a UK tour like they did in 2014. NIN live became something accessible to me. That shit was a dream come true.

"But they just played in London!"

The UK is more than London. I'm in a whole different country than London. Getting there costs SO MUCH MONEY.

Plus last time London was a venue 4 times the capacity of those two shows combined, so tickets weren't as gold dust

neorev
06-27-2018, 09:36 PM
Am I the only one who listens to "Burning Bright (Field On Fire)" and imagine it performed live and its final moments...

"I am forgiven, I am free
I am the field on fire
I am forgiven, I am free
I am the field on fire

I am forgiven, I am free
I am the field on fire
I am forgiven, I am free
I am thegreat destroyeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!"

And it erupts into final chaotic, tweaking jam of The Great Destroyer

???

Steven
06-27-2018, 09:39 PM
Am I the only one who listens to "Burning Bright (Field On Fire)" and imagine it performed live and its final moments...

I am the field on fire
I am forgiven, I am free
I am the field on fire

I am forgiven, I am free
I am the field on fire
I am forgiven, I am free
I am the great destroyeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!"

???

Damn that actually works super great. But I'm already pretty used to TGD going into Burning Bright.

Bachy
06-28-2018, 02:05 AM
I’ve been shuffling the NATE/AV/BW the last week, and “This Isn’t the Place” has come up quite a bit. I really didn’t properly appreciate that track.

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
06-28-2018, 11:48 AM
I am in the mood for a fucking webstream...I need to see pro shot 2018 NIN....Festivals start this weekend...There better be some pro shots on this summer run

klyrish
06-28-2018, 01:45 PM
I'm obsessed with the live version of In This Twilight with the Zero-Sum outro from AVOTT. I keep listening to it on repeat and each time through, it makes me love it even more.

In the 14 times I've seen NIN to date, I've never gotten this song (and I missed the entire LITS tour because the original Minneapolis show was postponed and I couldn't make the make-up date). It was supposed to be played at at least two of the 2009 shows I attended (on the setlist) but wasn't. I'm hoping against hope that they bust it out at night two of Red Rocks...

roolfdriht
06-28-2018, 01:59 PM
I'm obsessed with the live version of In This Twilight with the Zero-Sum outro from AVOTT. I keep listening to it on repeat and each time through, it makes me love it even more.

In the 14 times I've seen NIN to date, I've never gotten this song (and I missed the entire LITS tour because the original Minneapolis show was postponed and I couldn't make the make-up date). It was supposed to be played at at least two of the 2009 shows I attended (on the setlist) but wasn't. I'm hoping against hope that they bust it out at night two of Red Rocks...

Amen to this! As much as I'd love to hear Zero-Sum on its own, the piano arrangement used for the ITT outro kills me every time. Hands-down my favorite show-ender ever.

klyrish
06-28-2018, 02:06 PM
Amen to this! As much as I'd love to hear Zero-Sum on its own, the piano arrangement used for the ITT outro kills me every time. Hands-down my favorite show-ender ever.
It's perfect. And the way they turned it into a staggered exit for the band is just great. Watching the "final" show from the Wiltern in 2009 gets me all choked up every time as each of them stops their instrument, waves, and exits. And I love how the final piano notes somehow give a feeling of hope.

gorast
06-28-2018, 03:53 PM
I do wish Trent would change up the closing song once in a while. Ending on ITT gave those shows such a different feeling at the end. I thought for sure While I'm Still Here/Black Noise would close out the Tension tour shows, and I think it would've been great to reach the climax of Black Noise and then have the band just disappear after the cutoff. Of course, that way, you'd have a ton of fans milling about for too long thinking there might be a second encore, lol.

thefragile_jake
06-28-2018, 04:16 PM
Personally I'm still okay with Hurt as a closer. ITT was just a song I never really cared for, but if he wants to end the show on a softer or slower note for something newer I'd be all for Right Where it Belongs or Over and Out.

My ideal choice would be And All That Could Have Been but I don't ever see that track making a live debut, unfortunately.

klyrish
06-28-2018, 04:32 PM
Personally I'm still okay with Hurt as a closer. ITT was just a song I never really cared for, but if he wants to end the show on a softer or slower note for something newer I'd be all for Right Where it Belongs or Over and Out.

My ideal choice would be And All That Could Have Been but I don't ever see that track making a live debut, unfortunately.
I'd be down for RWIB but only the album version. I never need to hear (the painfully slow/boring) v2 again. It's not a bad version, it's just so underwhelming. The original version is so much more engaging and easier to get into, imho ofc

thefragile_jake
06-28-2018, 04:33 PM
I'd be down for RWIB but only the album version. I never need to hear the (painfully slow/boring) v2 again. It's not a bad version, it's just so underwhelming. The original version is so much more engaging and easier to get into, imho ofc

I hear ya, I like both a lot ... but there certainly is a lot of emotion in V1.

neorev
06-28-2018, 06:19 PM
I do wish Trent would change up the closing song once in a while. Ending on ITT gave those shows such a different feeling at the end. I thought for sure While I'm Still Here/Black Noise would close out the Tension tour shows, and I think it would've been great to reach the climax of Black Noise and then have the band just disappear after the cutoff. Of course, that way, you'd have a ton of fans milling about for too long thinking there might be a second encore, lol.

Yeah, In This Twilight was an amazing closer when I saw them during the Lights In The Sky tour. I honestly don't get closing with Hurt. It's a great song. It works as an album closer. But it's a fucking bummer to close with live. Honestly, it should be the track to close the section of the setlist BEFORE the encore section. Please Trent, I love ya, but move Hurt to another spot. Hell, fucking open with it! I think that would be more powerful than as a closer. You need to go out on a high note. Take the whole place up another level before leaving. Hurt is just such a low point emotionally for a concert to end on in my opinion.

I think Happiness In Slavery would be a wicked closer if you really wanna murder the audience.

But I honestly think Hand Covers Bruise intro into Beside You In Time should be the closer. That song has a very uplifting feeling to end. That big build up at the end. End on a high note.

Come_Reptile
06-28-2018, 06:36 PM
I’m pulling for either version of RWIB this year. The theme fits the trilogy and the current state of affairs perfectly.

implanted_microchip
06-28-2018, 06:58 PM
They closed night 1 of Vegas with Head Like a Hole and it was amazing, seeing them end a set with high energy instead of closing out somberly was refreshing (since every other show I have ever seen has ended with Hurt). I would love for Hurt to open a show, both for how unpredictable it would make the night feel and because whatever came next would be building off of that climactic, collective energy of that explosion at the end of it. They could even go directly into Maybe Just Once after it!

neorev
06-28-2018, 08:02 PM

I am the field on fire
I am forgiven, I am free
I am the field on fire

I am forgiven, I am free
I am the field on fire
I am forgiven, I am free
I am thegreat destroyeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!"

???

I have an update to this...
They should perform part of 31 Ghosts IV, kinda like an intro, which then goes right into Burning Bright (Field On Fire) and then into The Great Destroyer outro. BOOM!

Shadaloo
06-28-2018, 09:27 PM
There's something really, really special about The Lovers. Maybe it's knowing the history behind it, its ties to the oft-mythologized New Orleans period of TR's career. Maybe it's the straightforward yet whispered delivery of the verses - maybe hearkening back to I Do Not Want This. Juxstaposed with the naked and yearning feel of the chorus. Maybe it's the familiarity with the anatomy of its construction, its layers. The hypnotic, cycling effects.

But I think it's the trilogy's standout track, for me at least - and that's on a trilogy of mostly incredible tracks. It hits hard and it hits beautifully. It made me feel the way I felt when first listening to TDS. Reached in and connected with a vulnerable place.

Steven
06-28-2018, 10:37 PM
Ever since Hesitation Marks I feel like a lot of Trent's lyrics are trying to teach us more lessons and give us advice as opposed to his earlier albums/releases.

HWB
06-28-2018, 11:16 PM
Ever since Hesitation Marks I feel like a lot of Trent's lyrics are trying to teach us more lessons and give us advice as opposed to his earlier albums/releases.

I feel like Right Where It Belongs was the biggest "advice" song, genuinelly feeling like Trent tried to somehow reach out to the audience.

Pbgut
06-29-2018, 12:31 AM

I also think that The Fragile has a fair amount of advice/support running through it, kind of a correction after TDS, which could be misinterpreted by vulnerable people as a validation of nihilism and suicide if they were in a bad enough place to not understand it as a both a dark narrative and critique of looking at things self-destructively.

With the lyrics of WITT, The Fragile; the title and lyrics following "The Way Out Is Through" following The Great Below, and the less nihilistic ending of "Underneath It All" and the resolution-free "Ripe," when compared to the TDS conclusion, the advice is clear: stick around. You're not alone. I won't let you fall apart; the heavens fall, but we ... keep on. Do not give up, even if things seem very uncertain.

GulDukat
06-29-2018, 05:14 AM
Lyrically and thematically, "Terrible Lie" is very similar to "You are my Sunshine."

zecho
06-29-2018, 10:03 AM
Lyrically and thematically, "Terrible Lie" is very similar to "You are my Sunshine."

You Are My Sunshine is about the inevitability of losing someone you love, right?

ryanmcfly
06-29-2018, 10:08 AM

Terrible LIE
YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE, MY ONLY SUNSHINE
Terrible Lie
YOU MAKE ME HAPPY, WHEN SKIES ARE GRAY
Terrible Lie
YOU WILL NEVER KNOW HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU.
Terrible Lie
PLEASE DONT TAKE MY SUNSHINE AWAYYYYYYY

PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY SUNSHINE AWAYYYYY

Microwave Jellyfish
06-29-2018, 10:13 AM
Much as I love the phrase "a million miles away" when it pops up in NIN (and Offspring) songs, if taken literally (https://www.universetoday.com/121480/this-is-our-planet-from-a-million-miles-away/), starting again anything at that distance from "here" would equal quick suffocation, albeit with a nice view of planet Earth. Strange I've never considered that before.

Is this what Space Suicide's username refers to?

ultimatebdp
06-29-2018, 11:34 AM
As much as I love Ghosts and most of the soundtrack material (currently obsessed with the Vietnam War soundtrack), I can’t get into PTGDP and INFTW. I’m sure they’ll eventually grab me and they are growing on me, but I like the fact that they’re a “challenging listen” for my ears. Some of my favorite tracks were ones that I didn’t immediately connect with…like Ghosts (which is now one of my favorite albums).

Also, I think Ahead of Ourselves is AMAZING!!

Fred
06-29-2018, 11:37 AM
I love PTGDP. The sax breakdown is killer.

ryanmcfly
06-29-2018, 11:37 AM
As much as I love Ghosts and most of the soundtrack material (currently obsessed with the Vietnam War soundtrack), I can’t get into PTGDP and INFTW. I’m sure they’ll eventually grab me and they are growing on me, but I like the fact that they’re a “challenging listen” for my ears. Some of my favorite tracks were ones that I didn’t immediately connect with…like Ghosts (which is now one of my favorite albums).

Also, I think Ahead of Ourselves is AMAZING!!

INFTW is my least favorite track in the trilogy tbh. I honestly don't care for that one or The Lovers. The rest is great though

thefragile_jake
06-29-2018, 11:46 AM
I love PTGDP. The sax breakdown is killer.

Yeah, I agree. It's probably my favorite instrumental Nine Inch Nails has done since the Ghosts era material.

BRoswell
06-29-2018, 12:24 PM
"I'm Not From This World" is my favorite track on Bad Witch. That growing, pulsing tension is exquisite.

bobbie solo
06-29-2018, 12:40 PM
INFTW is my least favorite track in the trilogy tbh.

This track is great to me b/c it seems like a direct connection to his work on the Quake soundtrack, which I love. This track could easily be used for all sorts of video game background purposes. So much building dread going on.

thefragile_jake
06-29-2018, 04:11 PM
Things Falling Apart is my favorite remix album, but I think that has a lot to do with how much I love everything about the Fragile era.

"Slipping Away" and "The Great Collapse" are a great one-two punch.

I would love to see Trent release a remix album of the entire trilogy, but I don't think he's as interested in that anymore.

fillow
06-29-2018, 04:17 PM
Deviations should've been released as Halo 29, so that the trilogy could be Halos 30-32 in order. Makes more sense and also easier to drag and drop them to the playlist.

RoboHunter
06-29-2018, 04:35 PM
Deviations should've been released as Halo 29, so that the trilogy could be Halos 30-32 in order. Makes more sense and also easier to drag and drop them to the playlist.
This and the fact the ntae cd has a different style case to the other two really irritates me.

pcpunk
06-29-2018, 04:39 PM

I would rather Deviations was some version of Halo 14. Like Halo 14: Deviations. Then other albums could have similar outtake releases, like Halo 08: Deviations, Halo 19: Deviations, and so on.

sheepdean
06-29-2018, 04:47 PM
It shouldn't have its own Halo number at all, previous similar things (TDS Deluxe, Still) in this area shared their number because it's not an original music release

thevoid99
06-29-2018, 05:12 PM
I'm watching the Beats interviews as the 2nd part on YouTube has those awful alt-right comments as I just decided to report those users for harassment. Man, they're harping on Trent for being honest and saying what is happening. They're upset he don't agree with their views as say they're no longer NIN fans and that NIN suck. What a bunch of assholes.

BRoswell
06-29-2018, 05:22 PM
I'm watching the Beats interviews as the 2nd part on YouTube has those awful alt-right comments as I just decided to report those users for harassment. Man, they're harping on Trent for being honest and saying what is happening. They're upset he don't agree with their views as say they're no longer NIN fans and that NIN suck. What a bunch of assholes.

They're probably the same people who would post something like this:
http://www.nin.wiki/File:2005_07_09Questions13.gif

GulDukat
06-29-2018, 05:34 PM
Terrible LIE
YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE, MY ONLY SUNSHINE
Terrible Lie
YOU MAKE ME HAPPY, WHEN SKIES ARE GRAY
Terrible Lie
YOU WILL NEVER KNOW HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU.
Terrible Lie
PLEASE DONT TAKE MY SUNSHINE AWAYYYYYYY

PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY SUNSHINE AWAYYYYY"The other night dear, as I lay sleeping, I dreamnt I held you in my arms. When I awoke dear, I was mistaken, so I held my head and I cried." You left that part out.

gorast
06-29-2018, 05:56 PM
This and the fact the ntae cd has a different style case to the other two really irritates me.

All three CDs are slightly different sizes and it bothers me. Bad Witch in particular is noticeably taller than every other NIN CD next to it.

thevoid99
06-30-2018, 11:15 PM
Since I recently posted ideas for a new DVD/Blu-Ray release for halo 17. What if one series of reissues would be for the home video releases as I think a reissued edition of Closure in DVD/Blu-Ray should happen once Trent handles whatever needed to be settled for an official release. Both sections remastered with the appendage section plus a full-length version of the "Sin" video as well as "Burn". The big special feature will be a new NIN documentary about the period from 1988-1997 with new interviews from Trent, Chris Vrenna, Richard Patrick, Robin Finck, Charlie Clouser, Danny Lohner, Flood, and Alan Moulder plus a special tribute to James Wooley.

Shunt
07-01-2018, 05:15 AM
All three CDs are slightly different sizes and it bothers me. Bad Witch in particular is noticeably taller than every other NIN CD next to it.

My Bad Witch CD is exactly as tall as Add Violence

gorast
07-01-2018, 05:58 PM
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1787/41328304540_c2f61b03cb_c.jpg

It's more noticeable in person because the shelf is below eye-level, but it's noticeable to me. It's moreso the other albums to the left and right than AV.

Ryan Tollefson
07-01-2018, 06:01 PM
Since I recently posted ideas for a new DVD/Blu-Ray release for halo 17. What if one series of reissues would be for the home video releases as I think a reissued edition of Closure in DVD/Blu-Ray should happen once Trent handles whatever needed to be settled for an official release. Both sections remastered with the appendage section plus a full-length version of the "Sin" video as well as "Burn". The big special feature will be a new NIN documentary about the period from 1988-1997 with new interviews from Trent, Chris Vrenna, Richard Patrick, Robin Finck, Charlie Clouser, Danny Lohner, Flood, and Alan Moulder plus a special tribute to James Wooley.

I’m all for it, but don’t think we will ever see closure come to dvd, unfortunately. Don’t think Trent wants to deal with the bs involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bachy
07-01-2018, 10:52 PM
For me, when juxtaposing all the songs from NTAE, AV, and BW, “The Lovers” easily makes it in the Top 5 of those tracks, probably even the Top 2 or 3. It took a little while for the spoken lyrics to grow on me, but goddammit if they haven’t pulled and tugged me down into the darkness. I find myself a lot of times listening to this song with my headphones in and eyes closed. Shutting myself out from the rest of the world, and just immersing myself into this music.

Microwave Jellyfish
07-02-2018, 04:57 AM
Have they ever explained why they cut the Pinion/New Flesh intro from the live CD? It's always so jarring to hit play and BABABABA HEY. GOD.
Meathead knew what it was all about:

https://i.imgur.com/iKMgSFH.png

Shunt
07-02-2018, 06:13 AM
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1787/41328304540_c2f61b03cb_c.jpg

It's more noticeable in person because the shelf is below eye-level, but it's noticeable to me. It's moreso the other albums to the left and right than AV.

Interesting, you can see here that's not my case https://fotos.subefotos.com/80ccc0e385c64535a1a3821f043d6a78o.jpg

ton
07-02-2018, 08:22 AM
After listening to Bad Witch a few times, I still feel that God Break Down the Door is the best song on there. It's so unusual for Trent, it kinda stands out more than anything in the NIN discography imo. Not meaning it's the best song he's ever done, it's just something I wouldn't have ever expected.

spahn
07-02-2018, 09:34 AM
Interesting, you can see here that's not my case

Also, the US and Australian versions are different size, with the Australian digipak being slightly taller.

eachpassingphase
07-02-2018, 09:55 AM

That's because Trumpers are absolutely brainwashed and are digging in their heels as time goes on despite being proven fools over and over again. Trump could fly to their houses, knock on their doors, pin them down and take a shit in their mouths and with their last dying breath, the MAGAfolks would exclaim "BUT HER EMAILS! BOTH SIDES ARE THE SAME!"

I've never seen anything like it.

neorev
07-02-2018, 02:09 PM
That's because Trumpers are absolutely brainwashed and are digging in their heels as time goes on despite being proven fools over and over again. Trump could fly to their houses, knock on their doors, pin them down and take a shit in their mouths and with their last dying breath, the MAGAfolks would exclaim "BUT HER EMAILS! BOTH SIDES ARE THE SAME!"

I've never seen anything like it.

::cough:: Hitler ::cough::
Sorry, had to do it :p

sonic_discord
07-02-2018, 11:36 PM
A while back I used one of Shutterfly’s coupons to make some cheap (well, sorta) refrigerator magnets of the NIN discography (and a few other favs). Just thought I’d share because I think they’re cool.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180703/c80f1fa67e3a7968a78ffc18febfc46c.jpg

Bingo
07-03-2018, 02:52 AM

This bothers me more than it should.

joplinpicasso
07-03-2018, 09:49 AM
A while back I used one of Shutterfly’s coupons to make some cheap (well, sorta) refrigerator magnets of the NIN discography (and a few other favs). Just thought I’d share because I think they’re cool.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180703/c80f1fa67e3a7968a78ffc18febfc46c.jpg

They're cute! But - why not use the OG PHM artwork? Blasphemy ;)

Also, if you group them in fours, it might better feature the eras/runs of NIN: PHM to The Fragile, hiatus, WT to The Slip, hiatus, HM and the trilogy. IMO.

Dryalex12
07-03-2018, 09:55 AM
This bothers me more than it should.

Not the actual size

sonic_discord
07-03-2018, 09:56 AM
They're cute! But - why not use the OG PHM artwork? Blasphemy [emoji6]

Also, if you group them in fours, it might better feature the eras/runs of NIN: PHM to The Fragile, hiatus, WT to The Slip, hiatus, HM and the trilogy. IMO.

I like the PHM remaster’s artwork better. Yes, I know – blasphemy. I have higher resolution art of the remaster, too. As far as 3 rows of 4 being more representative of the different eras of the band, you’re right about that. My wife and I are planning to order coasters for our favorite albums, too (Mellon Collie, Master of Puppets, Weezer’s blue album, Fashion Nugget, Full Moon Fever, TDS...). If anyone wants to make something similar, I’ve got really high resolution images of all the album covers yanked from iTunes and the NIN website.

neorev
07-03-2018, 10:21 AM
So now that the trilogy is over, you guys think we'll finally get the Definitive Editions of With Teeth, Year Zero, and The Slip up for preorder around Christmas time like Trent did previously?

thefragile_jake
07-03-2018, 11:02 AM
So now that the trilogy is over, you guys think we'll finally get the Definitive Editions of With Teeth, Year Zero, and The Slip up for preorder around Christmas time like Trent did previously?

Man, I hope so ... I continuously keep checking back there to see if those have been made available to such luck yet.

Demogorgon
07-03-2018, 11:06 AM

Plot twist: vinyl isn't restrictive (i mean, AUTHENTIC) enough of a listening experience, so all of these plus accompanying Deviations will only be released on 8-track cartridges. For when your deluxe box really is a big massive fucking box.

StockAvuryah
07-03-2018, 05:47 PM
Plot twist: vinyl isn't restrictive (i mean, AUTHENTIC) enough of a listening experience, so all of these plus accompanying Deviations will only be released on 8-track cartridges. For when your deluxe box really is a big massive fucking box.

Plot twist : it's actually released all and well and the new mastering will be so good you'll have to listen to a vinyl rip, forever yearning for the A U T H E N T I C experience

ChipRock
07-04-2018, 05:14 AM
Happy 4th July to all the fine US folk here.

https://youtu.be/CXcFbC3nvek

Surprised this isn't on ninlive.com actually. Overall low quality, but decent enough to listen to.

BRoswell
07-04-2018, 10:36 PM
Patrick Bateman is the kind of guy who would watch the chainsaw dismemberment in the Broken Movie and think he's doing it all wrong.

07-04-2018, 10:41 PM
Loving all the pro shot streams we are getting from this summer festival tour. All 0 of them.....Figures the 2013 festival tour got a new stream every other day when they were sleepwalking through shows but now that they are back to playing intense shows we get jack shit.....

This could go in the NON-NIN Spotting 2018 Thread

WorzelG
07-04-2018, 10:49 PM
Loving all the pro shot streams we are getting from this summer festival tour. All 0 of them.....Figures the 2013 festival tour got a new stream every other day when they were sleepwalking through shows but now that they are back to playing intense shows we get jack shit.....

I thought someone said the Montreux Jazz Festival show was being streamed?

07-04-2018, 11:16 PM
I thought someone said the Montreux Jazz Festival show was being streamed?

Is that confirmed? If so, that would be sick......I totally thought Roskilde would have been streamed tonight and then boom...Nothing....

ninjaw
07-05-2018, 03:04 AM

Yeah ? well this is pure NIN choice of bad festivals... it has just been officially confirmed that NIN was wanted on Hellfest... (remember they were the only one on the 5 big rumors not being true) Hellfest got a huge stream/TV support, as most paris fests.......... Eurockeenes ? well, got nothing and no one is going there anyway... too old too far.

07-05-2018, 11:15 AM
Yeah ? well this is pure NIN choice of bad festivals... it has just been officially confirmed that NIN was wanted on Hellfest... (remember they were the only one on the 5 big rumors not being true) Hellfest got a huge stream/TV support, as most paris fests.......... Eurockeenes ? well, got nothing and no one is going there anyway... too old too far.

I noticed Werchter is being streamed today...Hopefully NINs show there this weekend gets streamed

ninjaw
07-05-2018, 12:04 PM
Ooh looks like Shit Mirror will be the new single - i'm assuming it wouldn't be in this list otherwise
http://www.beat.com.au/music/best-worst-new-singles-week-jessica-says-emma-louise-more

Oh shit (mirror) it couldb be that new next video

WorzelG
07-05-2018, 12:05 PM
Don't know about oversees, but singles are such a waste with NIN in the US. At least in Florida, none of the "corporate" rock stations play any of the new material. The day bad witch came out, a radio personality ranted and raved about how they loved the new single and couldn't wait to hear the new album, then went on to play Closer.... I said to my wife, WTF, they talk about the new stuff yet they play a 24 year old song.
They must have their 'demographic'. God Break Down the Door has been played regularly on BBC 6 music, not that I listen to the radio ever. Anyway it'll be worth it if we finally get a proper video out of it

Bingo
07-06-2018, 05:34 AM
I've seen those posters in the London Underground also.

StockAvuryah
07-06-2018, 12:49 PM
If there's a music video for Shit Mirror thank me because I sent Trent a tweet about a music video for this exact track referring to Gambino just after the track-list reveal.

He certainly read the tweet and told himself "Oh yeah let's do that". And there we are.

I hope they take their sweet time to make it perfect.

And what the fuck are you doing Eurockéennes, where's my damn stream

katara
07-06-2018, 04:41 PM
If there's a music video for Shit Mirror thank me because I sent Trent a tweet about a music video for this exact track referring to Gambino just after the track-list reveal.

He certainly read the tweet and told himself "Oh yeah let's do that".
Yes, that is certainly what happened.

StockAvuryah
07-06-2018, 05:13 PM
Yes, that is certainly what happened.

Moreover, that certainly happened.

BRoswell
07-06-2018, 05:44 PM
Or Trent & Atticus already wanted to do a video for it and your line of thinking just happened to line up with theirs. :p

ninlive
07-07-2018, 07:58 AM
Well, a video drive project by our very own @ninlive (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1141) (aka the creator of NIN Drive that you speak of) is currently in development. As to when will it see the light of day, only he can say.

I've got a lot of other things going on. But that's in the long list of things I want to do with the archive. I have all of the nomenclature setup and want to add text files to each video source etc. These things take time with one person doing it.

Max
07-07-2018, 09:25 AM
Is anyone else hoping that we get an autobiography some day? I know it’s unlikely since Trent Reznor seems to be a very private person and has talked about intentionally keeping an air of mystery, but I know he must have a lot of stories to tell.

neorev
07-07-2018, 09:28 AM
Honestly, I do not want to see a movie made about Trent's life like Walk The Line or frigging Jersey Boys. If it's more like a documentary, then yeah, maybe. But some actor pretending to be Trent Reznor? Sorry no, that would be just lame. I don't even think Trent would want it either.

onthewall2983
07-07-2018, 09:35 AM
I think Max is just referring to a book. I have a feeling that'll happen, probably when he's much older and more reflective.

nmitchell86
07-07-2018, 10:03 AM
Honestly, I do not want to see a movie made about Trent's life like Walk The Line or frigging Jersey Boys. If it's more like a documentary, then yeah, maybe. But some actor pretending to be Trent Reznor? Sorry no, that would be just lame. I don't even think Trent would want it either.

I feel the same as you on the whole movie thing but I would say a young John Cusack could pull off a good representation of TR...

Space Suicide
07-07-2018, 01:53 PM
Not The Actual Events > Bad Witch > Add Violence

Max
07-07-2018, 06:46 PM
Yeah, definitely talking about a book. Not personally interested in a movie. A book, if written well, might give us a lot of insight into where he is coming from during different eras. I doubt it will ever happen given how private he seems to be, but it sure would be fascinating.

piggy
07-08-2018, 12:06 AM
I would LOVE to see that happen. Next to Nick Cave, TR would be at the top of my wishlist for rock people writing an autobiography.

Shunt
07-08-2018, 03:08 AM
Yep it's about japan show, it's a very small french new band I know really well, they already paid for a major show a few weeks ago and just had the oportunity to do the same with nin ! Obvioulsy maybe it's just for japan, and maybe this was before Trent got propositions, but... apparently they have to pay, and it's kinda right because they are paying for a major boost of advertisement

I've always thought paying for doing your job is just wrong.

botley
07-08-2018, 05:39 AM
I've always thought paying for doing your job is just wrong.
Unfortunately for musicians playing internationally, the business of booking a tour, fronting the insurance, putting up production costs, advertising and other promotion, travel expenses, etc. etc. etc. are necessary requirements to do your job. If you're lucky, you might get a bit of help from a bigger band to absorb those expenses, but in order to make it work they might have to pass a fraction of those costs on to you as well.

It can't be cheap for NIN to schlep another band all the way over to Japan... and I doubt they have many contacts with local Japanese bands. This is probably why Alessandro ended up doing the opening sets by himself at Studio Coast, last time they played there. They haven't had a different band open for them in that country since Serena Maneesh did both the Australia & Japan leg of the 2007 tour (which had more shows, therefore it was probably easier to amortize those expenses).

07-08-2018, 11:40 AM
Werchter has been streaming all of their main bands this weekend so there is no fucking excuse for tonights show not to be streamed.....If tonight isnt streamed, then you have to wonder if Trent is not allowing it to be streamed...Which would be a dick thing to do

Detunez
07-08-2018, 06:03 PM
Werchter has been streaming all of their main bands this weekend so there is no fucking excuse for tonights show not to be streamed.....If tonight isnt streamed, then you have to wonder if Trent is not allowing it to be streamed...Which would be a dick thing to doI absolutely agree. They have been streaming everything, even the new bands which still have to build op a name. Yet, NIN has been ignored. It is so weird. It makes very little sense.

07-08-2018, 06:24 PM
I absolutely agree. They have been streaming everything, even the new bands which still have to build op a name. Yet, NIN has been ignored. It is so weird. It makes very little sense.

Since its obvious zero pro shots are coming from this tour, at least we can look forward to the official NIN live video for the 2018 tour....To be released sometime between 2024 and never

sheepdean
07-08-2018, 06:26 PM
Since its obvious zero pro shots are coming from this tour, at least we can look forward to the official NIN live video for the 2018 tour....To be released sometime between 2024 and never
There's been a lot of cameras on stage, maybe Tension 2018

sick among the pure
07-08-2018, 09:49 PM
There's been a lot of cameras on stage, maybe Tension 2018

I've just been assuming the cameras on stage were for the screens, that's what seemed to be fed to the screens in Vegas at least.

Steven
07-08-2018, 11:15 PM
https://youtu.be/mjEomq8IyA8?t=3m2s

This interview really reminds me of the things Trent's saying on Ahead Of Ourselves.

sheepdean
07-09-2018, 12:07 AM
I've just been assuming the cameras on stage were for the screens, that's what seemed to be fed to the screens in Vegas at least.
Both London dates used cameras, we had no screens

witte
07-09-2018, 08:46 AM
Royal Festival Hall. Wel I saw a TV screen in the café first Floor before the gig with live action and the NIN stage on it. I don’t know what was on that TV screen during the gig.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Steven
07-09-2018, 10:31 AM
Ahead Of Ourselves has got to be the most negative NIN song in forever...

thefragile_jake
07-09-2018, 10:31 PM
Man. My excitement for Nine Inch Nails is at an all time high once again ... hasn't been this way since 2013 I'd say and a lot of that has to do with the fact that I'm going to be seeing them again this fall. I'm listening to old bootlegs of shows I've gone to, revisiting episodes of the awesome Underneath it All podcast, looking up old setlists of shows that an 18 year old me in 2006 could've gone to if he was a better driver and had money along with a GPS ... I'm just really getting monomanic about the band once again! Does that happen to anyone else ...? Where you just get into little spurts of obsession?

I REALLY hope that along with my Nashville show in September that I can make one of the Chicago shows in October. My work schedule will probably only allow me to check out the Saturday show, but I'm going to make it my mission to make it somehow. I always regret not going to more than just pne of my nearest or local shows within a tour cycle and hopefully this year I can make (at the most) two shows.

butter_hole
07-09-2018, 11:05 PM
I'm just really getting monomanic about the band once again! Does that happen to anyone else ...? Where you just get into little spurts of obsession?

Yep, and not just with NIN

thefragile_jake
07-09-2018, 11:07 PM
Yep, and not just with NIN

Yeah, I do that with a lot of things actually. Whether it's other pop culture stuff I'm into or hobbies ... but lately I've been really going down the NIN rabbit hole again.

07-10-2018, 11:37 AM
This will file into random...A month ago I was totally stoked with the new album cycle/touring routine...The 0 pro shots that have come out of this Euro tour have kind of sucked the energy out of this touring/album cycle for me.....Back in 2013, there was a stream every other day, all the hardcores would gather on here and discuss the shows and setlists, and you felt like you were a part of the tour with a new show popping up every other day. Now with jack shit 0.0 streams, it feels like the band isnt even on tour. Oh I heard they played 'Somewhat Damaged' last night in Brussels. Let me go look at a shitty youtube cellphone video of it. Yawn....In other words, in 2018, when every band is getting streams on their tours, it is laughable that a band as big as NIN can do an entire summer Euro tour and not get 1 stream? If Noel or Liam Gallagher take a shit, it gets streamed. Some lame band like QOTSA had 3 streams in a row this past week...I have to assume at this point, Trent is pulling the plug on it, which makes no sense. Here's veering off into Eddie Vedder/Pearl Jam or Bono/U2 territory. Other bands that basically refuse to allow their shows to be streamed (yet they claim they are all about their fans)

In summary. This 2018 Euro tour can fuck off

WorzelG
07-10-2018, 11:53 AM
I don’t understand the lack of streams either, although wasn’t he wanting to make the shows on this cycle seem more ‘precious’. ? Tying into the physical world thing, making shows seem more personal because they aren’t streamed everywhere. Are you going to a show helpmeiminhell ?

icklekitty
07-10-2018, 12:02 PM
I don’t understand the lack of streams either, although wasn’t he wanting to make the shows on this cycle seem more ‘precious’. ? Tying into the physical world thing, making shows seem more personal because they aren’t streamed everywhere. Are you going to a show @helpmeiminhell (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=6783) ?

I wasn't aware of that; it does seem like they're being more low key/less wasteful and bombastic this time.

This will file into random...A month ago I was totally stoked with the new album cycle/touring routine...The 0 pro shots that have come out of this Euro tour have kind of sucked the energy out of this touring/album cycle for me.....

At least you get to comfort yourself with all those times you heart WITT live, unlike the Europeans. :)

BRoswell
07-10-2018, 12:08 PM
This will file into random...A month ago I was totally stoked with the new album cycle/touring routine...The 0 pro shots that have come out of this Euro tour have kind of sucked the energy out of this touring/album cycle for me.....Back in 2013, there was a stream every other day, all the hardcores would gather on here and discuss the shows and setlists, and you felt like you were a part of the tour with a new show popping up every other day. Now with jack shit 0.0 streams, it feels like the band isnt even on tour. Oh I heard they played 'Somewhat Damaged' last night in Brussels. Let me go look at a shitty youtube cellphone video of it. Yawn....In other words, in 2018, when every band is getting streams on their tours, it is laughable that a band as big as NIN can do an entire summer Euro tour and not get 1 stream? If Noel or Liam Gallagher take a shit, it gets streamed. Some lame band like QOTSA had 3 streams in a row this past week...I have to assume at this point, Trent is pulling the plug on it, which makes no sense. Here's veering off into Eddie Vedder/Pearl Jam or Bono/U2 territory. Other bands that basically refuse to allow their shows to be streamed (yet they claim they are all about their fans)

Hate to be harsh, but this honestly sounds like whiny entitlement, like you're OWED a pro-shot stream of a festival performance. I'd love to see a pro-shot performance too, but if it doesn't happen, fuck it. I'm not going to cry about it. There's been a lot of cool shows they've done that haven't been filmed over the years. We're not owed anything on that front. The streams are a nice bonus for us, not a guarantee.

I don’t understand the lack of streams either, although wasn’t he wanting to make the shows on this cycle seem more ‘precious’. ? Tying into the physical world thing, making shows seem more personal because they aren’t streamed everywhere.

That could be it. Also, the lack of production might factor into it. I saw a YouTube clip from one of the festivals that reminded me of their performance at Reading Festival back in 2013. The whole stage was shrouded in fog to the point where you couldn't see much of the band, which would go back to what Trent said about wanting to do shows like the ones The Cure used to do in the early 80s. Not much point in streaming if you can't see much.

fillow
07-11-2018, 12:23 AM
You guys remember those awesome tours from 2005 (which only had like 3 half-songs from Wercher), or 2007 (just a few from Reading), or 2009 (a few songs from Hurricane)? Well guess what, this year European tour is almost twice shorter than any of those.
If you're not bothered to look at shitty cellphone video of Somewhat Damaged then maybe you should've get off your ass and book some flights and concert tickets, like a great many people here did.

icklekitty
07-11-2018, 04:37 AM
That could be it. Also, the lack of production might factor into it. I saw a YouTube clip from one of the festivals that reminded me of their performance at Reading Festival back in 2013. The whole stage was shrouded in fog to the point where you couldn't see much of the band, which would go back to what Trent said about wanting to do shows like the ones The Cure used to do in the early 80s. Not much point in streaming if you can't see much.

It's pretty similar to how he did the 2007 tour too (which I loved); I do recall not being able to see anything for the first half of the first song back then

frothy_ham
07-11-2018, 10:08 AM
"You give a mouse a cookie".

Just because NIN did some really cool, completely FREE stuff for their fans in the past doesn't mean they are guaranteed to continue doing it in the future, don't take things for granted.

Fred
07-11-2018, 11:50 AM
"You give a mouse a cookie".

Just because NIN did some really cool, completely FREE stuff for their fans in the past doesn't mean they are guaranteed to continue doing it in the future, don't take things for granted.

This.

Also, the gig I went to nearly had the same set list as their performance at Panorama, and that’s readily available to watch. Go to the concerts if that’s not good enough.

Halo Infinity
07-11-2018, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I do that with a lot of things actually. Whether it's other pop culture stuff I'm into or hobbies ... but lately I've been really going down the NIN rabbit hole again.
I also had a similar thought in mind as well. It happens to me when a new album comes out, but being able to now listen to Not The Actual Events, Add Violence and Bad Witch in full is like getting reacquainted with Nine Inch Nails and falling in love with NIN all over again.

It also gives it a special feel/vibe, especially when considering how it was nicely wrapped up and ready to go just right before Pretty Hate Machine turns 30 years old. :)

07-11-2018, 03:37 PM
If you're not bothered to look at shitty cellphone video of Somewhat Damaged then maybe you should've get off your ass and book some flights and concert tickets, like a great many people here did.

"great many people here did"....I would like to know how many NIN fans in America booked a plane to Europe to see the band. Of the millions of NIN fans, probably no more than 20 people did that

fillow
07-11-2018, 03:49 PM
"great many people here did"....I would like to know how many NIN fans in America booked a plane to Europe to see the band. Of the millions of NIN fans, probably no more than 20 people did that
I'm talking about Vegas as well. Plus, you know, that cold and black and infinite thing with physical sale and shit.

laststepdown
07-11-2018, 03:57 PM
I finally got this beast returned to me, although in moderately used condition now, I'm actually happy I don't have to print and laminate https://m.imgur.com/a/dw9NQaqanother one.

ImTheWiseJanitor
07-11-2018, 04:12 PM
I finally got this beast returned to me, although in moderately used condition now, I'm actually happy I don't have to print and laminate https://m.imgur.com/a/dw9NQaqanother one.

I want to ask while it's on my mind, and without any real knowledge of the best printing options available for things like this - How would I go about printing off a good copy of that poster? And where the fuck can I find the file I need to do so? Because I'd completely forgotten about it until now, and I'd LOVE to have that hanging on my wall.

Open to anyone! I guess I'm just curious about the size, paper quality, etc. I'm not afraid to pay a little bit to have a good one printed, either. Thanks in advance!

nmitchell86
07-11-2018, 04:28 PM
Start your counts...

Physical World Sale, I got up at 2:30am and drove into Chicago from the suburbs. I was lined up by 3:30am, number 15ish behind the homeless guys buying for a scalper.

Met like 10 people who drove, flew, or rode a bus to get to Chicago for tickets, leave and plan on coming back in Oct. And none of those 10 people are on here (ets.)

Vegas, Flew from Chicago to LV for the Friday and Saturday show... Wish I had went earlier for the Wednesday show.

At Vegas, everyone I meet had came in town for the show... lets be reasonable here and call my "number of people meet in Vegas for nin" 50.

Would love if nin did a "black ticket" like Metallica. I'd go to way more shows!

I'mjusayin' lots of people travel for shows and their band.

nmitchell86
07-11-2018, 04:30 PM
I want to ask while it's on my mind, and without any real knowledge of the best printing options available for things like this - How would I go about printing off a good copy of that poster? And where the fuck can I find the file I need to do so? Because I'd completely forgotten about it until now, and I'd LOVE to have that hanging on my wall.

Open to anyone! I guess I'm just curious about the size, paper quality, etc. I'm not afraid to pay a little bit to have a good one printed, either. Thanks in advance!

I've been looking into this myself and found some printers on line for like $20-$30 but I don't know about their quality. When I find out something solid, I'll post up about it for sure.

07-11-2018, 06:19 PM
I'm talking about Vegas as well. Plus, you know, that cold and black and infinite thing with physical sale and shit.

I am going to some shows on the fall tour....Doesnt change the fact it would be cool to see some pro shot shit from the 2018 tour...It would suck if Woodstock 94 was never filmed and the only footage of TDS tour would be bootleg videos and Closure

laststepdown
07-11-2018, 07:37 PM

Okay dude long story and don't mind the fact that I'm saying this on my phone and there will be absolutely no periods in the sentences but I got mine printed at Kinkos with their best quality and laminated there too because my drummer used to work there when I was in a band that's where I would go though if you have a copy of the high-quality file still

BRoswell
07-12-2018, 10:28 AM
Hmm, wasn't someone asking for some pro-shot footage from the recent shows?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz9-gpeDMO0

thefragile_jake
07-12-2018, 02:04 PM
As amazing as the Lights in the Sky tour was, sometimes it's hard for me to watch a lot of that footage because of how almost destroyed Trent's voice was becoming. It was so deep and growlish that it even hurts my throat listening to it. It seemed like it only continued to be at a lower register too by the time of the 2009 gigs.

Seems like since he's not as bulked out either that his voice has returned to as normal as it can be and I think he sounds better now more than ever.

klyrish
07-12-2018, 02:26 PM
I can't listen to 1,000,000 if it's not from the 2008 tours. It's incredible--particularly the Portland show's version. It's so energetic, so thick and well-layered, so hard-hitting. The changes made in 2009 onward really castrated the song and made it boring.

fillow
07-12-2018, 02:41 PM
I can't listen to 1,000,000 if it's not from the 2008 tours. It's incredible--particularly the Portland show's version. It's so energetic, so thick and well-layered, so hard-hitting. The changes made in 2009 onward really castrated the song and made it boring.
I disagree. 2009 version sounds just as good, especially with the new intro. What really made it boring is 2013 version when Robin started playing the main riff on keyboard.

kaydraven
07-12-2018, 03:54 PM
I said I wanted to revisit all the NIN albums before seeing them in October. Today, I just want to listen to NIN all day. It's starting...

thefragile_jake
07-12-2018, 03:57 PM

I disagree. 2009 version sounds just as good, especially with the new intro. What really made it boring is 2013 version when Robin started playing the main riff on keyboard.

Agree with both of you actually ... honestly, I'm perfectly okay if that song gets dropped from the set all together from here on out.

Nellyrific
07-12-2018, 04:56 PM
Would love if nin did a "black ticket" like Metallica. I'd go to way more shows!

I'mjusayin' lots of people travel for shows and their band.

I had to google what that black ticket thing is and apparently it’s about $600. I would pay that, no hesitation (for nin anyway). So far this year I bought tickets to 9 shows so it’s totally worth it.

kel
07-12-2018, 06:46 PM

agreed. ten times over.

that was the last show i attended and i feel so fortunate that we have such an outstanding archive of it.

sweeterthan
07-12-2018, 07:31 PM
As amazing as the Lights in the Sky tour was, sometimes it's hard for me to watch a lot of that footage because of how almost destroyed Trent's voice was becoming. It was so deep and growlish that it even hurts my throat listening to it. It seemed like it only continued to be at a lower register too by the time of the 2009 gigs.

Seems like since he's not as bulked out either that his voice has returned to as normal as it can be and I think he sounds better now more than ever.

He toured so much then (2+ years) his voice could’ve been worn out. I also have a theory that he’s taken some voice/singing lessons. His voice in 2014 versus 2009 was measurably better. I feel like he breathes differently now too. He doesn’t gasp for air as much.

AThousandDaysBefore
07-12-2018, 11:14 PM
Ghosts 12 would be a perfect ending for piggy

WorzelG
07-12-2018, 11:33 PM
He toured so much then (2+ years) his voice could’ve been worn out. I also have a theory that he’s taken some voice/singing lessons. His voice in 2014 versus 2009 was measurably better. I feel like he breathes differently now too. He doesn’t gasp for air as much.

Perhaps he took advice from Lisa Fischer or Sharlotte Gibson?

artdeco
07-13-2018, 01:30 AM
On the subject of vocals, if I had to choose a song where TR peaked, it's his amazing performance on 'Last'. Still gives the chills.

Fred
07-13-2018, 03:25 AM
I would say WITT. That song is probably the best demonstration of Trent as a vocalist, both in terms of tonality and timbre, but also in terms of displaying emotional vulnerability in his singing. The standout performance of his career, in my opinion.

chuckrh
07-13-2018, 06:21 AM
I wish NIN would add dates in the Pacific Northwest to the tour. 3 nights at the Paramount in Seattle would be splendid! ;)

klyrish
07-13-2018, 09:04 AM
I did like that new intro and compared to 2013, 2009 is definitely better, but dropping down to a single guitar and having the other guitar part done by synth kills it for me. That four-chord progression that starts in the second chorus and then appears halfway through the bridge through the end of the song is my favorite part and is perfect in that Portland 2008 recording. That song needs at least 2 guitars imho. Preferably 3+ guitars.

AThousandDaysBefore
07-13-2018, 10:16 AM
He has played the same songs very different between tours

I prefer closer from 1994-2000 or even now that the guitar versions from (2005-2009)
Or the Amazing version of somewhat damaged from Fragility tour , the wite teeth version lost all is rage
The same with 1,000,000 in 2008 -2009 tours
I am not a big fan of RWIT live version but I think Robin can do a great job bringing Right where it belongs again (the normal version no the V.2)
The only songs I really apreciate the different way were Sanctified with sunspots teaser and Only with the nice intro (2008), the versions from with teeth were nice too

buckaroo
07-13-2018, 10:30 AM
Someone should make some playlists of best live recordings showing the evolution of these songs. It would be cool to hear all the different takes on them from previous tours. I love the Fragile era Sin with the theremin.

fillow
07-13-2018, 10:50 AM
While we're on this topic, the fact that they are still forcing Ilan play piano part in March of the Pigs (despite having Allessandro and Atticus on stage) is a crime against humanity.
The kick/crash hit at "doesn't it make you feel better" line is absolutely important and needs to be added back.

BRoswell
07-13-2018, 12:55 PM
While we're on this topic, the fact that they are still forcing Ilan play piano part in March of the Pigs (despite having Allessandro and Atticus on stage) is a crime against humanity.
The kick/crash hit at "doesn't it make you feel better" line is absolutely important and needs to be added back.

Who knows? Maybe he likes the challenge. :p

gorast
07-13-2018, 05:20 PM
I like the chaos of Ilan having to race over to the piano to play it.

I listened to the Gift portion of Another Version of the Truth today, and I never noticed how shredded Trent's voice truly was. thefragile_jake 's observation about his voice around that time feels spot-on - way deeper, way raspier, sometimes it completely lost all semblance of the note and just became a hoarse screech. It's interesting to contrast that with how clean the music itself sounds. But I definitely prefer his voice since 2013.

captainbeyond
07-13-2018, 07:09 PM
This drum intro sound familiar to anyone else?
Also, this song fucking rules. Especially the synths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6yXGGd9zEM

Bachy
07-13-2018, 08:19 PM
Most NIN tracks sound better with headphones. “Dear World,” is on a whole other level though. It sounds like a completely different track. Along with “The Lovers,” it’s one of the more intimate tracks that Trent has composed in quite some time.

captainbeyond
07-13-2018, 11:53 PM
Most NIN tracks sound better with headphones. “Dear World,” is on a whole other level though. It sounds like a completely different track. Along with “The Lovers,” it’s one of the more intimate tracks that Trent has composed in quite some time.

Yeah dude I listened to "Dear World" on headphones on a flight and it blew me away over some of the details I noticed especially considering that I have listened to that song hundreds of times prior to that experience.

bobbie solo
07-14-2018, 02:02 AM
Busting out Dear World this fall would be a nice surprise. One of those bleep/bloop/repetitive loopy Atticus style songs that is actually really, really good.

bobbie solo
07-14-2018, 02:19 AM
Hasn't been said in a little while, so I thought I'd just remind everyone. Woodstock '94, from the second Larry Bud Melman stops talking (:55 below) to roughly 5 and a half minutes later, is the greatest, most intense NIN intro, and possibly greatest intro any band has had, ever. From the first few moments of blackness & confusion, to when Pinion kicks in and then lurches slower and more and more evil, to when Trent finally emerges on his hands and knees covered in mud & then sarcastically jaunts toward the mic in his Jesus Christ pose...nothing can match it. Arriving like that, on that festival's stage, with the world's focus squarely on them that night of the weekend...made them so intriguing & dangerous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lbFfiLAj_A&ab_channel=NineInchNailsonMV

And then look at this monster setlist:

Pinion
Terrible Lie (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Terrible+Lie)
Sin (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Sin)
March of the Pigs (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=March+of+the+Pigs)
Something I Can Never Have (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Something+I+Can+Never+Have)
Closer (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Closer)
Reptile (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Reptile)
Wish (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Wish)
Suck (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/pigface-bd6a51a.html?song=Suck)
Burn (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Burn)
The Only Time (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=The+Only+Time)
Down in It (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Down+in+It)
Dead Souls (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/joy-division-63d6b22b.html?song=Dead+Souls)
Help Me I Am in Hell (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Help+Me+I+Am+in+Hell)
Happiness in Slavery (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Happiness+in+Slavery)
Head Like a Hole (https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/nine-inch-nails-1bd6a5bc.html?song=Head+Like+a+Hole)

karmachiale
07-14-2018, 09:07 AM
Hi. maybe a dumb question, but... Don't some of you know about books with stories / themes / narratives similar to themes and stuff from NTAE AV BW trilogy? I kind of sink into that, but I am desperate to find things. Thank you for any help!

zecho
07-14-2018, 11:18 AM
Hi. maybe a dumb question, but... Don't some of you know about books with stories / themes / narratives similar to themes and stuff from NTAE AV BW trilogy? I kind of sink into that, but I am desperate to find things. Thank you for any help!

What do you consider to be the themes of the trilogy? I ask because it's vague enough that you may have a different perspective than what others do. What kind of books are you looking for?

karmachiale
07-14-2018, 01:28 PM
What do you consider to be the themes of the trilogy? I ask because it's vague enough that you may have a different perspective than what others do. What kind of books are you looking for?

Thank you for reply. I know field is pretty wide here and I don't want to give unnecessarily narrow explenation. Themes like achieving new perspective, our society's level, simulation, non-importance of things we see importance in, etc. I am actually openminded and interested in possible ways of interpreting of that question. unnecessarily narrow explanation

Bachy
07-14-2018, 02:15 PM
Busting out Dear World this fall would be a nice surprise. One of those bleep/bloop/repetitive loopy Atticus style songs that is actually really, really good.

I would love to hear “Dear World,” live. It definitely wouldn’t come close to the studio version though. In that second verse you’d have to use two vocalists. Trent obviously for one, and one of Robin/Ilan/Atticus . . . Or Trent could just blow us away and use Gary Numan or Saul Williams.

ryanmcfly
07-14-2018, 03:35 PM
I would love to hear “Dear World,” live. It definitely wouldn’t come close to the studio version though. In that second verse you’d have to use two vocalists. Trent obviously for one, and one of Robin/Ilan/Atticus . . . Or Trent could just blow us away and use Gary Numan or Saul Williams.

He’ll probably use a tape like he does on The Lovers for the second verse

wizfan
07-14-2018, 04:52 PM
Did you know that the drum beats on Saul Williams' Convict Colony were performed by Dave Grohl? CX Kidtronik says so on his Instagram. (https://www.instagram.com/p/BbC9uqPlOw8/) I've added this info on the song's NINwiki page.

ImTheWiseJanitor
07-14-2018, 05:22 PM
Did you know that the drum beats on Saul Williams' Convict Colony were performed by Dave Grohl? CX Kidtronik says so on his Instagram. (https://www.instagram.com/p/BbC9uqPlOw8/) I've added this info on the song's NINwiki page.

I fucking LOVE that Dave Grohl just pops up in NIN history from time to time and plays a direct role in making the music. I wonder if that was recorded for the album or a leftover recording from a previous session that was left on the cutting room floor.

Ruined
07-14-2018, 05:39 PM
Ha! Love that Homme dedicated a song to "THE Nine Inch Nails!" at tonight's Festival Mad Cool concert. :D

katara
07-14-2018, 05:50 PM
Try Ursula Le Guin's The Lathe of Heaven, which TR himself referenced before Bleedthrough wasn't released.

I also really enjoyed Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age when I read it a few years ago (Snow Crash is also great). This may not be quite what you're after.

Stepping even further out of the box, Iain M Banks' Use Of Weapons comes to mind.

There's another one that's interesting too but I can't quite remember it now. Edit: It's The Peripheral ​by William Gibson, which I would highly suggest checking out.

Basically, look at lists of the best sci-fi dystopian novels. You're sure to find something. The obvious ones are things like Fahrenheit 451, Lord of the Flies, 1984, stuff like that.

icklekitty
07-14-2018, 06:29 PM
I'd quite like to see Trent's dance to The Lovers (when the dictaphone is playing) spliced with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=novfcrFVHPM

BRoswell
07-14-2018, 06:50 PM

I wonder if there's any other BTS footage from when they were making that album. Would love to see it.

karmachiale
07-15-2018, 06:33 AM
Try Ursula Le Guin's The Lathe of Heaven, which TR himself referenced before Bleedthrough wasn't released.

I also really enjoyed Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age when I read it a few years ago (Snow Crash is also great). This may not be quite what you're after.

Stepping even further out of the box, Iain M Banks' Use Of Weapons comes to mind.

There's another one that's interesting too but I can't quite remember it now.

Basically, look at lists of the best sci-fi dystopian novels. You're sure to find something. The obvious ones are things like Fahrenheit 451, Lord of the Flies, 1984, stuff like that.

I haven't read some of them, so I have something to do. Thank you.

eversonpoe
07-15-2018, 08:33 AM
Thank you for reply. I know field is pretty wide here and I don't want to give unnecessarily narrow explenation. Themes like achieving new perspective, our society's level, simulation, non-importance of things we see importance in, etc. I am actually openminded and interested in possible ways of interpreting of that question. unnecessarily narrow explanation

i would read some Ursula K Leguin (whose book "the lathe of heaven" was the original inspiration for "bleedthrough", which later became "with teeth", but some of its concepts seem to have made their way into the trilogy)

edit: katara beat me to it :p

katara
07-15-2018, 02:29 PM
I haven't read some of them, so I have something to do. Thank you.
No problem!

Just in case you missed my edit above, the book I couldn't remember is The Peripheral by William Gibson.

But I'm unsure most of these suggestions truly align themselves with the completely frustrated, disaffected, fragmented state of mind we see in the Trilogy. It's unstable in a way these novels are not.
I almost feel that there should be a different book for each song.

Hyperpower
07-15-2018, 08:57 PM
i have seen alot of love for The Lovers, This isn't the Place and The Background World, even Less Than gets some love around here but never read anyone saying nice things about Not Anymore.
is this a thing? or did i imagine it....

bobbie solo
07-15-2018, 09:06 PM
You imagined it. There have been a ton of posts praising that song and people wanting to hear it live. I also remember reading posts liking it b/c its the heaviest song of all the new releases.

Steven
07-15-2018, 09:53 PM
Not Anymore is a great new song and not just because it's so heavy (but that's definitely a plus). Creepy lyrics with a great hook, insane/emotional chorus, NIN exploring new sounds but recalling TDS sound/vibes. Would kick ass live.

Krazy
07-15-2018, 10:11 PM
I also remember reading posts liking it b/c its the heaviest song of all the new releases.

“The Idea Of You” would like to have a word with, uhhh, you? I think Shit Mirror is heavier as well. Not Anymore is good though, and a bit on the heavier side.

Just realized the songs from the Trilogy I like the most arent getting much love. :/

elevenism
07-15-2018, 11:34 PM
Hasn't been said in a little while, so I thought I'd just remind everyone. Woodstock '94, from the second Larry Bud Melman stops talking (:55 below) to roughly 5 and a half minutes later, is the greatest, most intense NIN intro, and possibly greatest intro any band has had, ever. From the first few moments of blackness & confusion, to when Pinion kicks in and then lurches slower and more and more evil, to when Trent finally emerges on his hands and knees covered in mud & then sarcastically jaunts toward the mic in his Jesus Christ pose...nothing can match it. Arriving like that, on that festival's stage, with the world's focus squarely on them that night of the weekend...made them so intriguing & dangerous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lbFfiLAj_A&ab_channel=NineInchNailsonMV

And then look at this monster setlist:yesssss dude. Dangerous is the word.
That's what I miss about seeing NIN in 94 and 95, and NIN in general back then.

ChipRock
07-16-2018, 03:45 AM
Woodstock '94, ...nothing can match it.

Yes, always worth bringing up now and again. I'd just got into NIN in the pre-TDS period, but I'm pretty sure it was a ropey VHS copy of this that came from a friend of a friend who had the appropriate cable connections that really cemented my love for the band. Always feel kind of stupid for not actually making it to a 90s NIN show, but there you go... the follies of youth.

Fred
07-16-2018, 04:50 AM
Woodstock '94 really was something else. This post-gig photo pretty much persuaded me to check out the music of NIN:

http://images.artnet.com/artwork_images/425855718/449113.jpg

I had no idea what they sounded like, or even which one of them was Trent Reznor. I assumed it was Robin, cause he looked the most like a frontman here. But the implied danger and intensity in that photo roped me in and made me check out a couple of songs, after which there was no return. I still think it's the best photo of any of the live bands.

fillow
07-16-2018, 05:40 AM
Wasn't Robin working on a solo album like five years ago or so? C'mon man, we need it.
Jumping a Shit Mirror vocals appreciation bandwagon here.

elevenism
07-16-2018, 08:48 AM
Watching The Lovers live, I noticed that I think there's kind of a musical callback to closer in it.

Ribbitman
07-16-2018, 02:37 PM
The ending of Not Anymore..... holy fuck

Fred
07-16-2018, 03:29 PM
Shit Mirror live gets a lot of well-deserved love these days, but one moment from the 2017-2018 touring cycle that I love equally is Trent’s scream during Reptile at Panorama.

Holy fuck, does it sound like he’s channeling all his pain into it. It’s not a particularly long or loud scream, but the way his voice breaks is so powerful and intense. It never fails to send shivers down my spine. There’s so much anger and hurt in that scream.

HWB
07-16-2018, 03:32 PM
Shit Mirror live gets a lot of well-deserved love these days, but one moment from the 2017-2018 touring cycle that I love equally is Trent’s scream during Reptile at Panorama.

Holy fuck, does it sound like he’s channeling all his pain into it. It’s not a particularly long or loud scream, but the way his voice breaks is so powerful and intense. It never fails to send shivers down my spine. There’s so much anger and hurt in that scream.

https://youtu.be/JujihaeDpQ0?t=58m9s

Yep, this is fucking intense.

cheddamash
07-16-2018, 08:07 PM
I think Gary Numan likes NIN’s version of “Metal” more than his own.

eversonpoe
07-16-2018, 10:18 PM
I think Gary Numan likes NIN’s version of “Metal” more than his own.

it's more in-line with his current style of music than the original version, for sure. i also prefer the NIN version, but in the context of "the pleasure principle", the original is perfect.

karmachiale
07-16-2018, 11:51 PM
No problem!

Just in case you missed my edit above, the book I couldn't remember is The Peripheral by William Gibson.

But I'm unsure most of these suggestions truly align themselves with the completely frustrated, disaffected, fragmented state of mind we see in the Trilogy. It's unstable in a way these novels are not.
I almost feel that there should be a different book for each song.

William Gibson! I totally forgot of him. I read Neoromancer so long ago and never looked up for his other books. Thank you!!

kel
07-17-2018, 05:00 PM
so the northwest got shafted altogether on the upcoming tour, but tennessee alone got two shows? fuck off with that noise.

buzburbank
07-17-2018, 05:55 PM
so the northwest got shafted altogether on the upcoming tour, but tennessee alone got two shows? fuck off with that noise.

2014 - August 29, Ridgefield, WA; August 30, Auburn, WA
2013 - November 18, Portland, OR; November 19, Spokane, WA; November 21, Vancouver, BC; November 22, Seattle, WA

Do you want to compare notes with the upper plains/midwest?

kel
07-17-2018, 06:01 PM
2014 - August 29, Ridgefield, WA; August 30, Auburn, WA
2013 - November 18, Portland, OR; November 19, Spokane, WA; November 21, Vancouver, BC; November 22, Seattle, WA

Do you want to compare notes with the upper plains/midwest?

you mean the dakotas? no one lives there. that's like wondering why there have never been shows in wyoming.

a seattle or portland show would have sold just as well as any other stop. and there are plenty of theaters where this tour would've fit in perfectly.

BRoswell
07-17-2018, 06:21 PM
There's some decent gaps in between some of the dates already listed. I wouldn't be surprised if they add a date or two for the northwest part of the country.

buzburbank
07-17-2018, 08:23 PM
you mean the dakotas? no one lives there. that's like wondering why there have never been shows in wyoming.

a seattle or portland show would have sold just as well as any other stop. and there are plenty of theaters where this tour would've fit in perfectly.

MN, WI, IA, ND, SD, NE, KS, MO

Add 'em up...I'll wait.

kel
07-17-2018, 09:27 PM
MN, WI, IA, ND, SD, NE, KS, MO

Add 'em up...I'll wait.

i don't know what you're asking me to do, but i'm not going to. and your insistence is weird.

i hope broswell is right.

richardp
07-17-2018, 11:28 PM
I fucking need a Kansas City date so bad. The first time I got to see NIN was in 2006, and currently this is the longest stretch (5 years) I've gone yet without seeing NIN live and it's driving me insane. I honestly don't see why they didn't get booked at the Midland. They could easily have sold out two nights there.

buzburbank
07-18-2018, 11:58 AM
i don't know what you're asking me to do, but i'm not going to. and your insistence is weird.

i hope broswell is right.

As a frequent complainer about tour routing, I'm the first to commiserate with folks. But take anything other than a very short view of things (i.e., look rearward beyond this fall's schedule a bit), and the Pacific Northwest has been fairly well served. Lots of us in flyover country would probably agree.

For the record, we should all stop a moment to appreciate that LITS was incredible in its coverage, hitting many mid-market venues and setting an impossibly high bar. Much slimmer pickings ever since. Tension was decent, NIN/SG abysmal.

In other words, have compassion. :)

sick among the pure
07-18-2018, 01:36 PM
I'll just sit over here in Buffalo where he hasn't played since 99... where the closest regular stop is in a country they're not playing in at all this year... some of us have never seen NIN in our home state :p

SM Rollinger
07-18-2018, 01:51 PM
I'll just sit over here in Buffalo where he hasn't played since 99... where the closest regular stop is in a country they're not playing in at all this year... some of us have never seen NIN in our home state :p
They have played in SD twice, once in 1995 in Sioux Falls, and the other in 2008 in Rapid City, which is on the other side of the state so I ended up going to Council Bluffs instead.

I was 12 years old in 1995 and was just barely starting to get into music, so yea :(

sheepdean
07-18-2018, 03:49 PM
Consider African NIN fans, never had a concert in the entire CONTINENT

Vertigo
07-18-2018, 04:54 PM
Whenever I mentioned NIN to someone in Egypt, they looked at me like they thought I was nuts. Big upbeat dance music scene over there.

elevenism
07-18-2018, 06:32 PM
I had a big discussion on Facebook with a bunch of my cousin's 20 year old friends about whether or not NIN is "relevant." ( They think it isn't of course.)
But they haven't heard much of it.
And I showed this one kid The Becoming. I think it traumatized him, he was like "yeah, yeah I can definitely hear the complexity of that. It's definitely brilliant. But JESUS dude, how can you listen to that on a regular basis. I'm not sure I ever want to hear it again."
Lololol

BenAkenobi
07-19-2018, 01:42 AM
The becoming is not an everyday song, that's for sure. Eraser/Reptile/The downward spiral, on the other hand... ;)

WorzelG
07-19-2018, 02:33 AM
I had a big discussion on Facebook with a bunch of my cousin's 20 year old friends about whether or not NIN is "relevant." ( They think it isn't of course.)
And I showed this one kid The Becoming. I think it traumatized him, he was like "yeah, yeah I can definitely hear the complexity of that. It's definitely brilliant. But JESUS dude, how can you listen to that on a regular basis. I'm not sure I ever want to hear it again."
Lololol
You should play him the Still performance session of The Becoming to give him an appreciation of the song without all the extra layers and industrial noise

Haysey_Draws
07-19-2018, 06:52 AM
Less Likely from the Vietnam score is just such a beautiful piece of music in its own right. Reminds me of Autumn (fall) which happens to be my favourite time of year...it's up there with the stuff off of Still for me.

sipuss
07-19-2018, 02:11 PM
Robin on Shit Mirror's vocals is absolutely amazing.

katara
07-19-2018, 06:47 PM
Just discovered something weird. I was listening to a rip of Side B of the NTAE vinyl, and Reptile comes on (in reverse). At the end of the quiet break in the song, there's an ascending chord progression that sounds almost orchestral. Reversed, this (descending) chord progression is actually more-or-less identical to a motif in The Great Below and And All That Could Have Been.

You can hear this in the below video, starting at about 11:53:

https://youtu.be/-o5MO_9Qt9M

Might be nothing, but it's interesting nonetheless.

bryan_NIN65
07-19-2018, 07:01 PM
I fucking need a Kansas City date so bad. The first time I got to see NIN was in 2006, and currently this is the longest stretch (5 years) I've gone yet without seeing NIN live and it's driving me insane. I honestly don't see why they didn't get booked at the Midland. They could easily have sold out two nights there.

The Midland and Starlight are my favorite venues in KC, got NIN at Starlight once. I missed the 06 show (i did see the 05 STL show) damn what a set list that show had still is probably the biggest regret in life missing the 06 KC show. I decided in 2013 to never miss a tour (i missed LITS due to legal issues)so have traveled since 2013, never regreated it since. Traveled to Dallas,Chicago and Vegas since the last tour stop in KC and headed to Memphis in the fall. How about the set KC got in 09 DAMN GOOD and still feels like a once in a life time set for me.

eachpassingphase
07-20-2018, 03:21 PM
The Midland and Starlight are my favorite venues in KC, got NIN at Starlight once. I missed the 06 show (i did see the 05 STL show) damn what a set list that show had still is probably the biggest regret in life missing the 06 KC show. I decided in 2013 to never miss a tour (i missed LITS due to legal issues)so have traveled since 2013, never regreated it since. Traveled to Dallas,Chicago and Vegas since the last tour stop in KC and headed to Memphis in the fall. How about the set KC got in 09 DAMN GOOD and still feels like a once in a life time set for me.

Yeah, KC was my first NIN concert (With Teeth at Kemper Arena) and I was hoping they would hit it up again because it's the closest major city to me and I probably could have made the in-person sale. Once we saw the calendar we thought about hitting up Chicago, but ultimately decided we didn't want to deal with parking and hotel stay in that city, so we chose Memphis instead.

Memphis is super easy to get around in and the Orpheum is a beautiful venue so I'm still pumped even with the drive. Chicago stresses me out a bit.

bryan_NIN65
07-20-2018, 05:11 PM
we thought about hitting up Chicago, but ultimately decided we didn't want to deal with parking and hotel stay in that city, so we chose Memphis instead.

Memphis is super easy to get around in and the Orpheum is a beautiful venue so I'm still pumped even with the drive. Chicago stresses me out a bit.
I'm glad I went last year but damn, I stayed in oak brooke and paid 95 bucks in cab fare. Hotels near down town are like 250 and up plus you have to pay to park. Chicago may just be too big for me,lol. I've been a lot of places from the east to the west and all the way to the southern boarder at South Pardre, but Chicago was just pricey and almost too big. Although I have yet to try NYC or LA. Went to LA as a kid but don't remember much.

StockAvuryah
07-21-2018, 08:36 AM
I like a thing about Ghosts, it's that, for me, it's the eternally giving album. No track names, only a big wall of music. You can just drop in randomly, listen to familiar pieces, discover others, again and again. Because if you don't register the number of the tracks, you're always blind, you don't know what happens next. I love it. It never ends.

witte
07-21-2018, 12:41 PM
I like a thing about Ghosts, it's that, for me, it's the eternally giving album. No track names, only a big wall of music. You can just drop in randomly, listen to familiar pieces, discover others, again and again. Because if you don't register the number of the tracks, you're always blind, you don't know what happens next. I love it. It never ends.

For me thé complete album that stands for the serious music (art) quality. Personally the kind of music I adore Trent for. I really hope he will only make that sort of music in the near future.

StockAvuryah
07-21-2018, 02:56 PM
For me thé complete album that stands for the serious music (art) quality. Personally the kind of music I adore Trent for. I really hope he will only make that sort of music in the near future.

Oh yeah. Painting a mood with music, and only with it. That's the stuff.

katara
07-21-2018, 03:53 PM
So, today a switch flipped in my head and now I love Burning Bright (field on fire). On finishing the first listen to NTAE, I said out loud "What the fuck did I just listen to?". My brain couldn't comprehend the muddy guitars, the dense mix, the incomprehensible vocals, the sheer volume of it. I posted my displeasure here on the forums and wrote it off as a bad track.

Now I get it. It makes sense.

Previously this happened with Vessel, which I loathed for the first few listens, then suddenly day became night and I understood. I don't know why. Perhaps appropriate neural pathways had to be formed first. It's like the first time I heard a song with extreme vocals. You exclaim outrage and turn it off, simply because it's not what you're used to. But a seed has been planted, and if nurtured, becomes something more.

Nellyrific
07-21-2018, 04:27 PM
So, today a switch flipped in my head and now I love Burning Bright (field on fire). On finishing the first listen to NTAE, I said out loud "What the fuck did I just listen to?". My brain couldn't comprehend the muddy guitars, the dense mix, the incomprehensible vocals, the sheer volume of it. I posted my displeasure here on the forums and wrote it off as a bad track.

Now I get it. It makes sense.

Previously this happened with Vessel, which I loathed for the first few listens, then suddenly day became night and I understood. I don't know why. Perhaps appropriate neural pathways had to be formed first. It's like the first time I heard a song with extreme vocals. You exclaim outrage and turn it off, simply because it's not what you're used to. But a seed has been planted, and if nurtured, becomes something more.

I had the exact opposite reactions to both Vessel and Burning Bright! Isn’t it interesting how that happens? Gimme the dirty, gritty, noisy stuff please.

Krazy
07-21-2018, 07:27 PM
Wow, how time flies. The LITS tour started roughly 10 years ago.

I hope NIN does another high production tour that blows my mind like that. Not gonna hold my breath though. Might be the coolest thing I’ve seen from a concert.

Nellyrific
07-21-2018, 07:31 PM

This...hurts my brain. It sure doesn’t feel like 10 years ago.

Halo Infinity
07-21-2018, 07:40 PM
Lololol
I love that you mentioned this because I've always thought about age demographics whenever it came to interests in general. I can also definitely see that. It seems like the majority of Nine Inch Nails fans were born in the 1970s and 1980s. Since the 2010s have come and are about to be gone, I have noticed more and more fans born in the 1990s, but they too also seem to be born in the very early 1990s, or at least before 1995.

Anyway, even regardless of age, I've also always noticed that Nine Inch Nails is often a major hit or miss most of the time. However, I will say that I always enjoyed it when getting new listeners into Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, The Downward Spiral, The Fragile and With Teeth became successful via birthday or Christmas presents.

sick among the pure
07-22-2018, 12:27 AM

Am I bad for using this point of reference to know how many years I've been with my partner? (Our first date was I took him to the LITS show in Hamilton)

elevenism
07-22-2018, 12:54 AM

I hope NIN does another high production tour that blows my mind like that. Not gonna hold my breath though. Might be the coolest thing I’ve seen from a concert.
As to your first point, it's fucking INSANE and a little frightening. It seems like it wasn't that long ago that I printed out LITS artwork and hung it on my wall. It seems like I (originally) joined ets in the midst of the ARG. Honestly, this sort of thing terrifies me.
"Time is runnniing ouuuuut" et so

as to you second point, LITS was absofuckinglutely the coolest thing I've seen from a concert and I enjoyed it as much as 94 and 95 shows.
I, too, want another high production NIN tour.
And while i still love seeing NIN just, you know, PLAYING, I wish they were still doing LITS style shows.

Hell, what they're doing now in terms of production value is a step back not only from LITS, but also from the TDS shows! Back then we had Trent ripping through that cloth thing, the low fi projections during eraser etc, the hurt projections.

I think it's possible that they might do another mind blowing stage show in 2022-23, one that once again blows away what anyone else is doing in that department, because I will be shocked if there isn't some sort of YZ sequel in 2022

nooneimportant
07-22-2018, 06:59 AM
The Frail into Burning Bright would be a pretty great live transition. Try it with the Panaroma Festival recording sometime.

chuckrh
07-22-2018, 07:23 AM
i've been on a fragile binge. again. i wish they would play "we're in this together" live. rearrange it for the current lineup is a fine idea imho. as near as i can tell it's been over 10 years. i could be wrong. such a great song & spot on for today. also played year zero for first time in awhile. prophetic & a fine recored.

Krazy
07-22-2018, 11:14 AM
Am I bad for using this point of reference to know how many years I've been with my partner? (Our first date was I took him to the LITS show in Hamilton)

Nope, I do that stuff all the time for whatever reason and for better or worse. NIN and non-NIN related.

In about 8 months or so we’ll be “celebrating” TDS for being 1/4 of a century old. :O

Bachy
07-22-2018, 03:04 PM
I could definitely get behind a Halo that was just Trent whispering for approximately 90 minutes.

thevoid99
07-22-2018, 04:56 PM
Lololol

You know something. This is exactly what my sister is saying as she is surrounded by people in their 20s and early 30s who probably listen to what is cool now and says that the only rock band that everyone knows are the Foo Fighters. She never liked NIN and she doesn't think they matter despite the fact that I waited more than 3 hours to get a ticket at the Fox Theater in May with a lot of other people who came as far as Alabama to South Carolina to get a ticket with some coming in late at night and waited a long time to get the tickets. I didn't get the tickets that day but I was able to get a ticket for a show a few days later through an online discount from the venue. She thinks what I did was just stupid and pointless. Yeah, this is coming from someone who had an election party nearly 2 years ago thinking Hilary was going to win.

sweeterthan
07-22-2018, 07:49 PM
I could definitely get behind a Halo that was just Trent whispering for approximately 90 minutes.

It’s like ghosts but just Trent whispering. I’m sure they have database of his whispers and could whip this out in a few weeks. .

07-22-2018, 10:02 PM
"I left her on the bathroom floor"......darkest lyrics since the Fragile days

Steven
07-22-2018, 11:28 PM

All joking aside I would love to hear more "Conversation with Trent Reznor's" like he did for Hesitation Marks. Or he could do a mini-radio podcast type thingy about whatever, could be interesting.

Dr Channard
07-23-2018, 12:13 AM

You know something. This is exactly what my sister is saying as she is surrounded by people in their 20s and early 30s who probably listen to what is cool now and says that the only rock band that everyone knows are the Foo Fighters. She never liked NIN and she doesn't think they matter despite the fact that I waited more than 3 hours to get a ticket ...

Every generation and era has its run. Makes me think how as a kid I looked at the 70s disco scene and 60s hippie scene, and viewed the music and cultures almost as silly caricatures. Now I wonder if the current generation views my era of the depressed/self-loathing/suicidal grunge/goth/alt-rock stars in a similar silly self parody kind of way. But even if nin never again sees the relevance of the Woodstock 94 through TDS era, Trent has forged probable long-term relevance with the film scoring world.

elevenism
07-23-2018, 06:38 PM
Every generation and era has its run. Makes me think how as a kid I looked at the 70s disco scene and 60s hippie scene, and viewed the music and cultures almost as silly caricatures. Now I wonder if the current generation views my era of the depressed/self-loathing/suicidal grunge/goth/alt-rock stars in a similar silly self parody kind of way. But even if nin never again sees the relevance of the Woodstock 94 through TDS era, Trent has forged probable long-term relevance with the film scoring world. but like...like...they still headline festivals!

Idk. What is relevant? I'm of the mind that they've never really been THAT "relevant" in terms of being some huge important pop act to begin with.

even with people who are around forty, they're like "oh! Nin! Fuck you like an animal, right?!"

Idk these kids are 22 and think Avenged Sevenfold is the greatest band of all time.

Luckily my 22 year old cousin is the ONE of them who is into NIN (and his friends bust his balls for it haha)

SM Rollinger
07-23-2018, 07:17 PM
but like...like...they still headline festivals!

Idk. What is relevant? I'm of the mind that they've never really been THAT "relevant" in terms of being some huge important pop act to begin with.

even with people who are around forty, they're like "oh! Nin! Fuck you like an animal, right?!"

Idk these kids are 22 and think Avenged Sevenfold is the greatest band of all time.

Luckily my 22 year old cousin is the ONE of them who is into NIN (and his friends bust his balls for it haha)
Im 35 and the only "new" bands I listen to are Avenged Sevenfold and Ghost.

zecho
07-23-2018, 08:52 PM
The way young people view NIN comes down to their interests. I'm 26, and it's my favorite band. I've found that people who think in terms of "relevancy" and it's importance generally aren't "into" music, they just enjoy what they hear. Most young people who are "into" music seem to hold NIN in a high regard, even if they don't like them. I'm sure the same people who poke fun at someone for liking the band think that Talking Heads are "irrelevant" and not worth listening to as well. It all comes down to interests. The young people who dismiss NIN now are the same as those that dismissed them in the '90s.

Also SM Rollinger that's kind of sad. There are a ton of new bands breaking all sorts of new ground, and with the internet at our disposal it's easier than ever to hear them.

elevenism
07-23-2018, 09:24 PM
Im 35 and the only "new" bands I listen to are Avenged Sevenfold and Ghost.I'm 38 and the only new band I listen to is A Perfect Circle. :p

Kidding but not kidding. Part of it is what we were talking about before, that most of us discover our SHIT before the age of 30.

But the other thing is that I just haven't found a new ROCK act that floats my boat in a LONG time.

I do bump a lot of Joey Bada$$, Ghostemane, Chance the Rapper, Odd Future, and plenty of newish drum and bass.

thevoid99
07-23-2018, 10:04 PM
I'm not really interested in new music though there's a few pop song every now and then that wins me over like Ariana Grande. Other than that, I just stick to what I like or whatever old music I hadn't heard of.

kel
07-23-2018, 10:44 PM

yeah ... makes me a little uncomfortable.

nooneimportant
07-24-2018, 03:01 AM
Someone should program the Rock-afire Explosion to perform God Break Down the Door. Infact, Trent should just use them for an actual video in place of the actual band. It'd be hilarious if it was done with complete seriousness, black and white, weird video projections, everyone wearing Trent's wardrobe, it'd be great.

mauro995
07-24-2018, 03:31 AM
I'm 23 and I went to see NIN in Madrid this month with some mates around my age or younger and we all love the band. Don't worry guys.

Fred
07-24-2018, 03:47 AM

It's not as if the next lines help out. "I think I knew when it crossed the line / I think I knew the whole goddamned time." The trilogy (mostly NTAE and BW) really is dark as all fuck.

millertd0513
07-24-2018, 09:14 AM
Im 35 and the only "new" bands I listen to are Avenged Sevenfold and Ghost.

Nothing More is a very solid "new" band.

I would recommend checking out a few originals to get used to their style before you watch their cover of We're In This Together. It's the only NIN cover I've ever approved of.

BRoswell
07-24-2018, 11:30 AM
I listen to new and old stuff. I've never been of the mindset that music made before a certain time was "the good stuff". If you set that limitation for yourself, you'll never enjoy new music.