PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64

Wulgaren
05-25-2021, 04:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17n0iLO0PzU

this is amazing and i wish trent would use AI because it would lead to some very amazing and interesting compositions

botley
05-26-2021, 01:33 PM
[Atticus] did sing some backing vocals in HTDA if I remember correctly

Spoken word ones, yeah...

laststepdown
05-30-2021, 10:26 PM
Am I out of my mind thinking that the car starting sample in The Car Bomb by Dr. Dre on Chronic 2001 before the car blows up is the same car-start sample from Another Crashed Car on Locusts? Like I know I'm crazy regardless, but they sound REALLY close.

sheepdean
06-01-2021, 05:03 AM
I've not been on this forum in ages, is Gary Talpas still on keyboards?

Erneuert
06-01-2021, 10:05 PM
I've not been on this forum in ages, is Gary Talpas still on keyboards?

Yes. John Malm is still doing a superb managerial job as well.

sheepdean
06-02-2021, 02:47 AM
Yes. John Malm is still doing a superb managerial job as well.
Whew, I'm glad! Love their synthpop sound, can't wait for more of that

Erneuert
06-02-2021, 03:08 AM
Whew, I'm glad! Love their synthpop sound, can't wait for more of that

I think this guy is headed for big things.

Magnetic
06-08-2021, 08:23 AM
Maybe he asked and TR said no. I don't think TR would be keen to open up on that show.

paul_guyet
06-08-2021, 10:44 AM
Dave Grohl relating stories about TR and NIN on today's Howard Stern Show. Swimming in '92, drumming in '04.

Still not clear why HS hasn't had TR on. He claims to be a big fan. Never even alludes to trying to book him.I'll tell you EXACTLY why TR will never be on HS. Here's a sample:

HS: God your wife is hot.

TR:...

HS: I wonder what her ass smells like...

Robin Quivers: HAHAHAHAHAHhahAHahaqhAHhAHAHah Oh Hooward Hhahahhhahahaha

*fart noise*
*erection noise*
*farting erection noise*
*lesbian noise*

HS: I LOVE 'Hand Like A Hole'

/scene

Erneuert
06-08-2021, 10:51 AM
I'll tell you EXACTLY why TR will never be on HS. Here's a sample:

*fart noise*
*erection noise*
*farting erection noise*
*lesbian noise*

/scene

Bingo.

I get these vibes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAp4AMBrD5s (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WAp4AMBrD5s)

Prettybrokenspiral
06-08-2021, 12:05 PM
I'll tell you EXACTLY why TR will never be on HS. Here's a sample:

*fart noise*
*erection noise*
*farting erection noise*
*lesbian noise*

/scene

Funniest shit I've read on here in months. Thank you, Paul..

:D

FULLMETAL
06-08-2021, 01:08 PM
^^ I don't understand this NIN spotting. ^^

sweeterthan
06-08-2021, 01:11 PM
^^ I don't understand this NIN spotting. ^^

i don’t understand the last few posts. IDGAF about howard stern. trent’s never been on his show and he probably never will be. why are we talking about something that hasn’t happened in this thread? i’ll move all this into random nin comments when i get to a computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael_Vens
06-08-2021, 01:15 PM
i don’t understand the last few posts. IDGAF about howard stern. trent’s never been on his show and he probably never will be. why are we talking about something that hasn’t happened in this thread? i’ll move all this into random nin comments when i get to a computer.

…the post was showing the album in hi-resolution audio. I went ahead and moved it to another thread, no worries.

shade
06-08-2021, 04:17 PM
I always find these type of shows extremely cringeworthy, especially from my "european" point of view, where they already make me question human intellect, but are more toned down. Forced to be funny, but so shallow, meaningless...

Nah, I'd rather have an in-depth interview from a lesser known but more thoughtful source. I like exotic interviews that are not the standard off-the-shelf questions (imagine having to answer the same five damn questions to every magazine/reporter in a promo cycle? ), but I'll pass on a US Weekly style interview. I care about the music and things Trent would actually want to share/talk about.

Erneuert
06-08-2021, 04:24 PM
From NIN Spotting:

I always find these type of shows extremely cringeworthy, especially from my "european" point of view, where they already make me question human intellect, but are more toned down. Forced to be funny, but so shallow, meaningless...

Nah, I'd rather have an in-depth interview from a lesser known but more thoughtful source. I like exotic interviews that are not the standard off-the-shelf questions (imagine having to answer the same five damn questions to every magazine/reporter in a promo cycle? ), but I'll pass on a US Weekly style interview. I care about the music and things Trent would actually want to share/talk about.

Absolutely agree. That’s why I said:

I’m most interested about intricate song samples and mysteries we haven’t had definitive answers to in years. Like the reasons why certain promo singles were given duplicate halo numbers. What that sound is in The Wretched. What that other sound is in Shit Mirror. What certain elements of album art mean and how The Idea of You ties back into With Teeth ideas. What his ultimate plan was with the additional WT lyric poster songs since The Warning eventually became the YZ Warning. Why Into The Void wasn’t given a halo number.

And these are just off the top of my head. I’m sure I could list a few dozen more that have gnawed away at me/us for years. The EDIETS + TDTWWA videos. More elaboration on those and how they would’ve looked. Why certain songs haven’t been played live.

Man, sit TR in front of me on Zoom and I’ll make it the most informative interview in the history of interviews!

Prettybrokenspiral
06-08-2021, 07:11 PM

I'll take a stab at it..

What I think happened was..

Dave Grohl was on Howard Stern today, and told some Trent stories. Queue the NIN spotting mention..

Then a couple people asked why Trent hadn't ever appeared on Stern's show..

And then paul_guyet gave a theoretical scenario of why Trent would never appear on Stern's show, which was funny as fuck and dead on, so myself and a few others made it known..

We were just having a laugh. We're allowed to laugh, right? It's not like we were going to linger on the topic and derail the thread. Nobody needs to get upset..

Ffs, there's a cartoon of a baby getting tossed out a window on the page before this and nobody batted an eye. Shit's amusing. We laugh. We move on..

Let's move on..

sweeterthan
06-08-2021, 07:47 PM
The baby cartoon is on topic but the Howard stern stuff is drift. we have a thread for the drift nin forum posts - random nin comments. I move the conversation posts from nin spotting to there all the time and don’t say anything. sorry to be a killjoy. I feel like nin spotting used to be more strict and sometimes miss those days when the conversation posts veer into topics I don’t care for (like stern. ew. So gross.)

…the post was showing the album in hi-resolution audio. I went ahead and moved it to another thread, no worries.

Neither full metal nor I got that probably because its noted so small on the image and I’m looking at it on my phone. I’ve undeleted your post in nin spotting and noted the hi-res versions.

TheBang
06-09-2021, 07:54 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/xj5RYX8D/BD25-DA87-BC7-C-402-B-9-C78-5-C9-B89-F0-D6-D9.png
(admin note: image shows text about "high resolution" audio for nin in Apple Music)

Well, if Year Zero is available in Hi-Res, then that probably means the DE is ready to go, yeah? When will it be released then?

Jon
06-09-2021, 09:01 AM
Here's a screenshot from Amazon Music HD:

https://i.imgur.com/fSNX4LX.png

botley
06-09-2021, 09:20 AM
Interesting. I wonder if that's the original Brian Gardner 2007 master at hi-res, or a new remaster for the DE that's still upcoming. I don't have Apple Music or Amazon HD, so I can't compare it.

cdm
06-09-2021, 09:24 AM
So how great is this Spatial Audio?

I currently have a Spotify sub (totally setting aside the band payment, etc issues with Spotify) and the constant Joe Rogan adverts are putting me over the top. I used to have Apple Music but it was so damn clunky and the SO wanted Spotify so I got a family sub. But between Rogan and the new fancy Spatial Audio carrot I'm tempted to go back to Apple. And I ask about SA knowing I won't be listening on an Atmos system anytime soon, nor airpods. Thru Carplay, desktop, and bluetooth headphones / speaker (in that order of frequency).

paul_guyet
06-09-2021, 11:19 AM
Well, if Year Zero is available in Hi-Res, then that probably means the DE is ready to go, yeah? When will it be released then?Still thinking/hoping we'll get YZ DE right around the end of 2021 and a YZ follow up in 2022.

Detunez
06-09-2021, 03:12 PM
i listened to "Health, nine inch nails - Isn't everyone" for the first time today. It has been playing on loop for close to 15 times by now so i guess i like it.

MrLobster
06-09-2021, 04:59 PM
*looks at the Spatial Audio posts*

Hmm... we already had an EP with a warning for not for use with mono devices...

Thor
06-09-2021, 11:35 PM
i listened to "Health, nine inch nails - Isn't everyone" for the first time today. It has been playing on loop for close to 15 times by now so i guess i like it.

It does pass the test

https://64.media.tumblr.com/4d67c65e3f133be742be21ab0c86d528/tumblr_naas3lah0Y1rfsxgmo5_r1_250.gifv

ChipRock
06-10-2021, 10:36 AM
I'm still listening to Isn't Everyone an awful lot. It's great, isn't it?
Bonus confession: it took me *ages* to twig the Serve / Deserve rhyme. Duh.

sonic_discord
06-10-2021, 12:47 PM
Literally every time I see (or "spot") the advertisement for Isn't Everyone on Facebook, I unmute it so I can hear that awesome chorus again, I can't help myself. They'd better get Health onstage (or Health should have Trent join them) at Riot Fest and play that song!

scorpiusdiamond
06-10-2021, 05:06 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210610/f6d807c762f57778cbe6cf6ea4273caf.jpg

allegate
06-11-2021, 03:10 PM
question about Apple Music: do I have to let it change all the tags on my music?

alfonso99
06-11-2021, 11:12 PM
I'm here to share a vision I had.

In August there will be either an announcement or release of the new album.

That's all.

scotty79
06-12-2021, 04:04 AM
question about Apple Music: do I have to let it change all the tags on my music?

what do you mean by tags? do you mean changing it to lossless etc? if so you can change that in the music settings under dolby atmos and audio quality

laststepdown
06-12-2021, 08:39 AM
Does anyone know if the CD that comes with the vinyl of Hesitation Marks is the audiophile version, or just the regular version?

allegate
06-12-2021, 11:22 AM
Stuff like Artist info, album art, track 1/12. Last time I did the 3 month demo it changed the tags for random songs in albums so track 12 would have a different artwork than the rest of them. That kind of thing.

Jon
06-12-2021, 03:52 PM
Stuff like Artist info, album art, track 1/12. Last time I did the 3 month demo it changed the tags for random songs in albums so track 12 would have a different artwork than the rest of them. That kind of thing.

In the iTunes preferences, Store tab, disable the "Share details about your library with Apple" and "Automatically download album artwork" checkboxes.

I don't know what your setup is, so you might have to do it on multiple devices.

allegate
06-12-2021, 04:19 PM
can't give reddit gold here, can I. Oh man that's great. The computer was running overtime during that demo trying to 'update' everything and I'm still finding albums that I need to fix. (398GB of music will do that...)

I only have the one computer so that's an easy fix. Thank you so much.

spahn
06-13-2021, 07:07 AM
Does anyone know if the CD that comes with the vinyl of Hesitation Marks is the audiophile version, or just the regular version?The audiophile version was only released in digital format, if I'm not mistaken...which reminds me, I need to add that to nincatalog.

All done: nincatalog.com - hesitation marks (US FLAC) (https://nincatalog.com/hesitation-marks/hesitation-marks-us-flac-1798/)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jon
06-13-2021, 09:51 AM
Does anyone know if the CD that comes with the vinyl of Hesitation Marks is the audiophile version, or just the regular version?

The CD that comes with the vinyl is your standard CD mix, but it's worth noting that the disc itself is "Disc One" from the Hesitation Marks Deluxe Edition. CD TOC is identical between the standard, 1-disc release and disc 1 of the 2-disc Deluxe Edition.

I hope that made sense.

ophelia_
06-13-2021, 12:08 PM
Courtney Love has just posted on Instagram saying when Hole toured with NIN, she saw Trent allegedly abuse 12 year old girls?

But she hasn't mentioned anything that I've seen about her mate Manson and all the stories that have come out about him recently. Urgh.

WorzelG
06-13-2021, 01:19 PM
Courtney Love has just posted on Instagram saying when Hole toured with NIN, she saw Trent allegedly abuse 12 year old girls?

But she hasn't mentioned anything that I've seen about her mate Manson and all the stories that have come out about him recently. Urgh.
shes on Mansons payroll - earlier this year she posted on MMs page about how he helped her out of an abusive relationship which was CLEARLY trying to make him seem like an angel because of the shit that was going to come out! Someone should ask her why she would date Trent if he was so evil? To the point where she had the Private Eye who accused her of killing Kurt follow him an spy on him? See 3 mins into this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiT7tWch_Xs

firewlker
06-13-2021, 01:33 PM

It's good to remember that she mentioned something like Manson and Korn doing this around the time of the Family Values Tour but suddenly she became BFF with Manson on the last decade.

otnavuskire
06-13-2021, 01:42 PM
She deleted the post and stories.

ophelia_
06-13-2021, 01:44 PM
She deleted the post and stories.

Interesting... Wonder if lawyers got involved?

BRoswell
06-13-2021, 02:25 PM
Courtney Love said it? Well then it MUST be true!

richardp
06-13-2021, 02:40 PM
LOLOL okay Courtney. I don't think anyone is actually going to believe that shit. Like... girl, your Daughter doesn't even trust you.

WorzelG
06-13-2021, 03:04 PM
Now it’s turning out that various Trent accusations have all been 90s beef related, the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if that Maynard James Keenan accusation (and there was a related TR one that was deleted pretty soon) was a MM attempt to take the heat off him since they happened literally 2 months after Evan Rachel Wood first testified for the Phoenix Act and people were speculating about MM. Evan did say he had spyware and networks and bot accounts running damage control (or something of that ilk)

Detunez
06-13-2021, 03:44 PM
I can't stand people like that. Move on. 20+ years have passed since the entire NIN and Manson problem. Move on. Deal with it. Get over it. insert any other random saying which fits the bill.

shade
06-13-2021, 04:04 PM
It's no secret that this said tour was a 24/7 party with a lot of drugs involved and was basically the highway to hitting rock bottom.
She probably envies Trent for turning his life around while she's still stuck right there in her misery.

I just wish it wasn't so easy to make such harsh allegations. It's a slap in the face for every real crime and the victims out there that will never get heard.
The anorexic, attention seeking, pill popping bitch has done nothing in the past years but accuse people of whatever. Fuck, she took heroin while being pregnant..

WorzelG
06-13-2021, 04:17 PM
It's no secret that this said tour was a 24/7 party with a lot of drugs involved and was basically the highway to hitting rock bottom.
She probably envies Trent for turning his life around while she's still stuck right there in her misery.

I just wish it wasn't so easy to make such harsh allegations. It's a slap in the face for every real crime and the victims out there that will never get heard.
The anorexic, attention seeking, pill popping bitch has done nothing in the past years but accuse people of whatever. Fuck, she took heroin while being pregnant..
Except Manson, he’s the epitome of virtue. Sad thing is she does seem to have an army of sycophants and people have been really brainwashed into accepting every accusation as fact lately. If you search Justin Bieber and assault there will be people vehemently accusing him (on Twitter) of assaulting women when to my eyes the testimonies came across as ludicrous fan fiction. Personally I couldn’t care less if he was cancelled but it still just doesn’t seem right to me. When I was growing up (I’m 47) there was a rash of people in Britain who’d been imprisoned wrongfully - I’ve been brought up with the idea of innocent till proven guilty and it’s not something I can just abandon

shade
06-13-2021, 10:30 PM
Except Manson, he’s the epitome of virtue. Sad thing is she does seem to have an army of sycophants and people have been really brainwashed into accepting every accusation as fact lately. If you search Justin Bieber and assault there will be people vehemently accusing him (on Twitter) of assaulting women when to my eyes the testimonies came across as ludicrous fan fiction. Personally I couldn’t care less if he was cancelled but it still just doesn’t seem right to me. When I was growing up (I’m 47) there was a rash of people in Britain who’d been imprisoned wrongfully - I’ve been brought up with the idea of innocent till proven guilty and it’s not something I can just abandon

This is what I'm talking about. It's not the "boo hoo he stole my lolly" accusations these days. We're talking sexual assault and child abuse. Such allegations stick like shit.
Anyone can go on Instagram these days and just claim they've been raped by [insert random name].
I'm female and have been in more than one situation where I do not know how it would have ended if I let my guard down and yet, it makes me furious.

Indefinite_Cure
06-17-2021, 10:43 AM
I loved when nin.com used to have hidden things like song snippets or teasers, The website in the With Teeth era and Year Zero era was so engaging. I miss those days. We were really lucky to have Trent make himself so available to his fans and accessible. I know he's moved on from those days and I'm not saying I wish he'd go back to that because it was clearly toxic, but man those were the days. Also miss the meathead perspective. Wow, am I old now?

Detunez
06-19-2021, 08:51 PM
I don't know why i did not see this before... but i'm loving the heck out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg2v5vjz_H8

Erneuert
06-20-2021, 07:38 AM
I loved when nin.com used to have hidden things like song snippets or teasers, The website in the With Teeth era and Year Zero era was so engaging. I miss those days. We were really lucky to have Trent make itself so available to his fans and accessible. I know he's moved on from those days and I'm not saying I wish he'd go back to that because it was clearly toxic, but man those were the days. Also miss the meathead perspective. Wow, am I old now?
kraw should totally make that a thing again. Suggest it to TR.

artdeco
06-21-2021, 02:03 AM
I was just thinking I would absolutely love to see what the Magazine Street funeral home looked like inside before Nothing Studios existed there. Very curious for some reason. If anybody by chance has any photos (not sure why you would, but...), post 'em! :)

Erneuert
06-21-2021, 08:17 AM
I was just thinking I would absolutely love to see what the Magazine Street funeral home looked like inside before Nothing Studios existed there. Very curious for some reason. If anybody by chance has any photos (not sure why you would, but...), post 'em! :)

That would be quite interesting actually. Given the time period, probably only scanned polaroids exist somewhere.

MrLobster
06-21-2021, 04:28 PM
That would be quite interesting actually. Given the time period, probably only scanned polaroids exist somewhere.

I was thinking a realtor probably has decent before pictures... maybe even in a local real estate magazine.

Frozen Beach
06-23-2021, 02:52 PM
I wonder if Trent and Atticus remixed a track for Danny Elfman's Big Mess deluxe edition. Tracklist for the remixes still hasn't been released.

laststepdown
06-24-2021, 01:58 PM
Was mowing the lawn and the starfuckers version from tdtwwa single came on shuffle. The end has a sample of complication right after the kiss sample. Never even heard it in the mix before. Can't find anything else about it. This is cool to me because we hadn't actually had heard complication released yet.

Detunez
06-25-2021, 01:24 AM
https://i.imgur.com/98cp7SH.png

I'm currently wondering about the meaning behind this: "Conclusion. Shadows on the cave wall."

Does this allude to the following: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_cave
Or does it refer to something along the lines of this: https://www.imdb.com/video/vi208056601?playlistId=tt2601260&ref_=tt_pr_ov_vi
(https://www.imdb.com/video/vi208056601?playlistId=tt2601260&ref_=tt_pr_ov_vi)
I'm not from this world.

Vertigo
06-25-2021, 03:45 AM
https://i.imgur.com/98cp7SH.png

I'm currently wondering about the meaning behind this: "Conclusion. Shadows on the cave wall."

Does this allude to the following: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_cave
Or does it refer to something along the lines of this: https://www.imdb.com/video/vi208056601?playlistId=tt2601260&ref_=tt_pr_ov_vi
(https://www.imdb.com/video/vi208056601?playlistId=tt2601260&ref_=tt_pr_ov_vi)
I'm not from this world.

Plato's allegory, I think. Here's an excerpt from Trent's 2018 interview with Lizzy Goodman:

With the second one, Add Violence, the idea was, loosely, to zoom out, to be more global and to imply that maybe we're all in a simulated reality. And that might introduce the concept of meaninglessness but also provide a safe container to explain why everything feels off.

By the time we got to the third one, we had an idea in mind but it felt... rehearsed. Predictable. In the end, what felt true was to say that we as a society and as a species are probably an accident, a mutation. Really what we are is fucking animals. And the illusion was enlightenment. The more we've connected with each other the dumber we've gotten and the more we decide we want to kill each other. We're not some elevated transcendent beings, we're bacteria in a jar. I wanted the art direction of Bad Witch to feel like shadows on a cave wall and we're trying to figure out what it is and really there's no nice, clean, safe scientific explanation. We're just an accident. String theory and quantum physics is a fucking trick. And we're not going to suddenly elevate ourselves into transcendent beings. We're kidding ourselves. I know this will be an unsatisfying conclusion for some people. It isn't what they want. They want it to be full Matrix virtual reality, and this is the opposite of that, this is dirt and a broken computer chip and everything you believe in is really just bullshit.

So the idea being that the things we see illustrated on the cover: science, religion, history, self-improvement, technology... they're the delusions of enlightenment we cling to, when really we're just looking at Plato's shadows on a cave wall.

Detunez
06-25-2021, 04:32 AM
Plato's allegory, I think. Here's an excerpt from Trent's 2018 interview with Lizzy Goodman:

So the idea being that the things we see illustrated on the cover: science, religion, history, self-improvement, technology... they're the delusions of enlightenment we cling to, when really we're just looking at Plato's shadows on a cave wall.

It does make a lot of sense in that way, especially when seeing the message by NIN / Trent directly opposed to it. The 3 in a row (NTAE, AV, BW) really drive home the idea of somebody looking at the world, doubting if it is real, not being certain about what is being looked at, while also attempting to figure things out.

You just keep listening. I bet you didn't even notice.

Erneuert
06-25-2021, 09:22 PM
Look! It's Year Zero!

https://www.space.com/amp/giant-space-hand-gas-cloud-new-x-ray-photos

Someone tweet that to Rob, pronto!

Sequenteon
06-26-2021, 03:59 PM
How fucking exciting is it to think that Trent and Atticus are now probably a month or so in to writing a new NIN record? Very curious to hear what's next.

wizfan
06-26-2021, 05:07 PM
Me a while ago: "I haven't listened to this in a long time..."
Me now: "I'll listen to it another 38 times."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQDvLXp-GJE

MrLobster
06-26-2021, 05:36 PM
Me a while ago: "I haven't listened to this in a long time..."
Me now: "I'll listen to it another 38 times."

I wish they would put all those remixes on Bandcamp for purchase... fuck Spotify and Beats.

neorev
06-26-2021, 10:23 PM
I wish they would put all those remixes on Bandcamp for purchase... fuck Spotify and Beats.

Amen, brother

sonic_discord
06-26-2021, 10:37 PM
How fucking exciting is it to think that Trent and Atticus are now probably a month or so in to writing a new NIN record? Very curious to hear what's next.

They should be at least two months in. The Oscars were on April 25. But yes, very exciting to think they're working on stuff, I agree!

tony.parente
06-27-2021, 01:35 PM
Alessandro came in to the nin collectors group on FB and yelled at the still bootleg guy because he was in the process of getting one of the Sonio records bootlegged. Poor kid saw his life flash before his eyes haha

ltrandazzo
06-27-2021, 01:53 PM
Alessandro came in to the nin collectors group on FB and yelled at the still bootleg guy because he was in the process of getting one of the Sonio records bootlegged. Poor kid saw his life flash before his eyes haha

flew too high and burnt the wing

botley
06-27-2021, 02:12 PM
Alessandro was 100% right to shut that shit down.

otnavuskire
06-27-2021, 04:02 PM

Do you happen to have a screen shot of that? Good on him. It amazes me how entitled people feel about these bootleg preorders. There's a whole thread on the NIN subreddit today of people trashing someone for objecting to the bootlegs.

shade
06-27-2021, 04:18 PM
So much money to be made with these shitty bootlegs, and people all jump for it. I'll never get it.

You just can't control this, no matter how hard you are going after them. You can flood the market and put out all the records, clothing, patches and stuff you want as a band, someone...mostly from certain countries *cough*... is still going to go for it.

ryanmcfly
06-27-2021, 04:31 PM
I get pressing Still on vinyl if Trent isn’t going to do it in a timely manner. I didn’t get a preorder of said bootleg, but I also prefer the official stuff. I’m sure Trent isn’t hurting in terms of money lost to this pressing. But bootlegging Ally’s stuff is wrong as he’s not the established artist with the recognition that NIN is.

botley
06-27-2021, 04:40 PM
So much money to be made with these shitty bootlegs, and people all jump for it. I'll never get it.

You just can't control this, no matter how hard you are going after them. You can flood the market and put out all the records, clothing, patches and stuff you want as a band, someone...mostly from certain countries *cough*... is still going to go for it.

To give the guy who did the Still blue/white splatter pressing his due, making money on it wasn't his intention. He just wanted to cover his costs and get 100ish copies into collectors' hands. The problem is that would never have been enough. For people who aren't aware, he was discussing doing a colour double-LP press (another multi-splatter job) for Further Down the Spiral, and a 12" with both versions of TR's Call of Duty: Black Ops II theme on it, but it was SONOIO Blue on red-and-blue swirl that caught Alessandro's attention. All the work he put in was coming from a good place, but he clearly didn't have permission to do any of it, and everyone in that group was using their real names on their FB profiles, so... yeah, it was bound to blow up in his face. Which is exactly what we all told him would happen... four months ago... when he announced he was doing it. Ah well.

MrLobster
06-27-2021, 05:21 PM
Just... stopping ripping off artists that you like. It doesn't matter on their relative success or not... just stop ripping them off by supporting bootlegs of commercially available recordings.

Like, if someone pressed that Dec. 15, 2018 Palladium concert to CD and vinyl... that I can support to a degree.
However, taking a previously released product and changing the format because of "collecting"... well... that's bullshit to me.

alfonso99
06-27-2021, 09:43 PM

He deserved it. Also, it kind of amazes me that Trent/NINcamp hasn't done the same.

It might be true that they're not profiting out of it. But they're reproducing copyrighted material illegaly.

Something Underneath
06-28-2021, 05:19 AM
Entire NIN discography on Bandcamp would be dream come true.

BRoswell
06-28-2021, 08:24 AM
I get pressing Still on vinyl if Trent isn’t going to do it in a timely manner.

I don't. Why get a bootleg of an album that hasn't even been mastered for the format? Just to say you have it in your collection? It's pointless.

Entire NIN discography on Bandcamp would be dream come true.

With several different companies holding the rights to it, I wouldn't count on that happening any time soon.

tony.parente
06-28-2021, 08:38 AM
I don't. Why get a bootleg of an album that hasn't even been mastered for the format? Just to say you have it in your collection? It's pointless.

With several different companies holding the rights to it, I wouldn't count on that happening any time soon.
The same reason why literally any bootleg vinyl record in history exists, it's cool.

BRoswell
06-28-2021, 08:54 PM
The same reason why literally any bootleg vinyl record in history exists, it's cool.

If that's cool, then I'm glad I'm very uncool. :p

Erneuert
06-28-2021, 09:09 PM
Anyone else think it would be fascinating to get a song breakdown/MWTM session like they did for The Lovers and GBDTD for “I’m Not From This World”? There is so much happening in that song. Imagine a commentary/breakdown for that track with TR and AR…

Detunez
06-29-2021, 05:41 AM
Was that a bootleg related to works under the "Nine Inch Nails" banner ? NIN already is so extremely forgiving and generous when it comes to giving away music or even allowing certain downloads of their music. It doesn't make sense to actively try and make money behind their backs. Dang, they used to have the remix website, the first ghosts under the creative commons license, downloadable videos on Vimeo, and so much more during the years.

sonic_discord
06-29-2021, 10:56 AM
Anyone else think it would be fascinating to get a song breakdown/MWTM session like they did for The Lovers and GBDTD for “I’m Not From This World”? There is so much happening in that song. Imagine a commentary/breakdown for that track with TR and AR…

I certainly hope Trent (and Atticus if it's a track he worked on) does another Song Exploder. The podcast episode on The Lovers and the Netflix episode on Hurt were both absolutely fantastic and super interesting with some unexpectedly deep insight into their construction and meaning. In the case of The Lovers, I came away with a newfound love and appreciation for a song I already loved. I'd welcome as many of those as they're willing to do with open arms.

cahernandez
06-29-2021, 01:07 PM
This is St. Vincent's cover of Sad but True...sounds like Closer to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0K9xypNQVU

sonic_discord
06-29-2021, 01:56 PM
This is St. Vincent's cover of Sad but True...sounds like Closer to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0K9xypNQVU

Yeah, it does!! Also, the video is really cool and the aesthetic looks like something NIN or HTDA could do for a video.

Reaps
06-30-2021, 10:15 AM
Stretching 'Leaving Hope' into a 45 min track and adding a rain track to it really helps my tinnitus out on the bad days. Same goes with 'A Warm Place'. NIN ASMR!

kapno
07-08-2021, 02:49 AM
Stretching 'Leaving Hope' into a 45 min track and adding a rain track to it really helps my tinnitus out on the bad days. Same goes with 'A Warm Place'. NIN ASMR!

Oh man, I did the same after reading your comment. It sounds awesome!

Soma
07-09-2021, 03:00 AM
NIN camp has provided us with a wealth of odd gems these last couple years:

Watchmen soundtrack
Jehnny Beth “To Love Is To Live” a few tracks produced by Atticus
Tobacco - “Babysitter”
Ghosts V / VI
Mogwai - “Midnight Flit feat Atticus”
Mank soundtrack
Soul soundtrack
HEALTH x Nine Inch Nails “Isn’t Everyone”

JMJ produced the most recent Drab Majesty record, as well as the upcoming Deafheaven record. Also performed with St. Vincent for her recent SNL performance.

Josh Freese & Robin Finck are featured heavily on the new Danny Elfman record.

Ilan recently released a single under his own name. Looks like he is still with Angels & Airwaves.

It seems like Ally is always releasing something new! Most recently SCURO CHIARO

And now the upcoming Halsey album -
I can’t say I’m a fan of Halsey’s previous work, but I’m willing to be surprised!

Jazzkokehead
07-09-2021, 06:24 AM

Watchmen soundtrack
Tobacco - “Babysitter”
Ghosts V / VI
Mank soundtrack
Soul soundtrack

JMJ produced the most recent Drab Majesty record, as well as the upcoming Deafheaven record. Also performed with St. Vincent for her recent SNL performance.

Ilan recently released a single under his own name. Looks like he is still with Angels & Airwaves.

It seems like Ally is always releasing something new! Most recently SCURO CHIARO

I can’t say I’m a fan of Halsey’s previous work, but I’m willing to be surprised!

A few other miscellaneous things I can think of: Ilan did some drums for the Cyberpunk 2077 soundtrack, and Robin contributed guitar to a track from Serious Sam 4.

Vertigo
07-09-2021, 03:29 PM

If we're bringing up Justin Meldal-Johnson performances on prominent records, Garbage's fantastic latest album No Gods No Masters has him performing bass on some of the tracks. Other tracks have contributions from Eric Avery of Jane's Addiction, who was at one point tapped to perform on the Tension tour.

Soma
07-09-2021, 03:47 PM
I seem to have mispoke about the Drab Majesty record. It was actually produced by Josh Eustis (another former member of NIN :p)

Just scrolling through JMJ's wiki, and holy shit! Dude gets around.

Erneuert
07-09-2021, 08:28 PM
100 likes and 1 dislike on this video.

Love that it includes the “I am building something terrible with all of this” line at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erZmNhu0H2c (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=erZmNhu0H2c)

Erneuert
07-09-2021, 08:44 PM
Moreover, I always forget how powerful this performance of SICNH was I recorded back in 2009. Especially that “never…ever…ever…ever…. have” right at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HnXKtUbNDM (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6HnXKtUbNDM)

Jazzkokehead
07-10-2021, 05:14 PM

Watchmen soundtrack
Tobacco - “Babysitter”
Ghosts V / VI
Mank soundtrack
Soul soundtrack

Another thing I just remembered: Robin also did guitar for the Wolfenstein: Youngblood game soundtrack. That was 2019, maybe? So between NIN tours or whatever.

Erneuert
07-18-2021, 01:38 AM
Did TR ever mention that WITT is his tribute/own version of “Heroes” by Bowie?

elevenism
07-19-2021, 07:34 PM
When I was a kid, I bought the Symphony of Destruction single. I was thrilled that the B-side had a "Gristle Mix" by one Trent Reznor.

Well, I looked it up on YouTube today, and realized that there are ABSOLUTELY samples from Happiness in Slavery in that mix.

And THEN, I found out that there was a longer mix on a Megadeth CD release, and I heard something in THAT that sounded very "proto Wish," as far as the drum pattern.

It SURE sounds like Trent used samples from Broken on the Symphony mix.

What I'M wondering, is, which came first: the megadeth remix, or broken.

henryeatscereal
07-20-2021, 11:59 AM
When I was a kid, I bought the Symphony of Destruction single. I was thrilled that the B-side had a "Gristle Mix" by one Trent Reznor.

Well, I looked it up on YouTube today, and realized that there are ABSOLUTELY samples from Happiness in Slavery in that mix.

And THEN, I found out that there was a longer mix on a Megadeth CD release, and I heard something in THAT that sounded very "proto Wish," as far as the drum pattern.

It SURE sounds like Trent used samples from Broken on the Symphony mix.

What I'M wondering, is, which came first: the megadeth remix, or broken.
That's a great question, "Countdown to extinction" was released in July 92 and the first single was "Symphony of Destruction", the "Grisle Mix" was released sometime in 1992, but not sure if it was pre o post Broken. Either way i'm sure Trent used some ideas for broken in the remix just to test how they worked.

paul_guyet
07-22-2021, 01:47 PM
Why is Trent explaining the hummingbirds in the background of the "In Conversation" track from HM the best thing ever?

BRoswell
07-24-2021, 08:36 AM
It's a real shame we never got to see Bowie and Trent perform "I'm Afraid Of Americans" together. I feel like it would have happened at some point had Bowie continued to tour.

Jazzkokehead
07-24-2021, 08:47 AM
That's a great question, "Countdown to extinction" was released in July 92 and the first single was "Symphony of Destruction", the "Grisle Mix" was released sometime in 1992, but not sure if it was pre o post Broken. Either way i'm sure Trent used some ideas for broken in the remix just to test how they worked.

Wish had been played live in 1991 prior to Broken's release in 1992, and from what I recall those live versions are not hugely different from the studio version. Which would suggest it was Wish that influenced the remix, as opposed to the other way around.

Edit: Here's (https://www.ninlive.com/shows/1991/19910712.html) a decent bootleg from July 1991 with a performance of Wish. So a year before Countdown to Extinction, and over a year before Broken (September 1992).

acrid avid jam shred
07-25-2021, 01:58 AM
Just finished watching the Coachella 2005 show. The energy's off the charts! The Frail leading into the Wretched is such a cool way to open the set. I love how punky and noisy Aaron's guitar playing is too.

Erneuert
07-25-2021, 02:52 AM
Just finished watching the Coachella 2005 show. The energy's off the charts! The Frail leading into the Wretched is such a cool way to open the set. I love how punky and noisy Aaron's guitar playing is too.

That was only done a handful of times. I never tire of re-watching it the time I recorded it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7tW0cdbevo (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x7tW0cdbevo)

acrid avid jam shred
07-25-2021, 03:10 AM
That's so awesome! I'd absolutely love to see NIN at Hordern Pavilion.

Erneuert
07-25-2021, 03:43 AM

Check out the rest of the footage! Camera died at the beginning of The Fragile otherwise I’d have recorded the entire thing.

henryeatscereal
07-25-2021, 08:34 PM
Wish had been played live in 1991 prior to Broken's release in 1992, and from what I recall those live versions are not hugely different from the studio version. Which would suggest it was Wish that influenced the remix, as opposed to the other way around.

Edit: Here's (https://www.ninlive.com/shows/1991/19910712.html) a decent bootleg from July 1991 with a performance of Wish. So a year before Countdown to Extinction, and over a year before Broken (September 1992).
I did not know that, thanks for sharing!

Erneuert
07-31-2021, 11:51 PM
3:38 onwards = eargasm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnlkPXCdM1I&pp=sAQA (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jnlkPXCdM1I&pp=sAQA)

butter_hole
08-03-2021, 12:40 AM
it's fun, until the power goes out...

Erneuert
08-08-2021, 08:27 AM
Watching this for the 108,398th time.

I really want to know what TR was thinking when he named this piece “Just Like You Imagined”. The real specifics behind giving that song that name. Maybe a message to his late grandmother, in the sense that: “yes, just like you imagined, I came up with something this epic. You would be proud.” I don’t know, but the triumphant sound of the song coupled with that title always makes me wonder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg4Yif8yniQ (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg4Yif8yniQ)

PS - why weren’t there more songs recorded from this session?!

Erneuert
08-08-2021, 08:31 AM
it's fun, until the power goes out...

Yeah, but then you get exciting moments like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM2yQy_DiCY (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dM2yQy_DiCY)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17i3BzpcYmE (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=17i3BzpcYmE&list=PLl_UjivvaIFUkYy_dMeDEzmJYcSv5czNy&index=11)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfXdIdDZZiM (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OfXdIdDZZiM&list=PLl_UjivvaIFUkYy_dMeDEzmJYcSv5czNy&index=12)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jujvqZiiFw (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3jujvqZiiFw&list=PLl_UjivvaIFUkYy_dMeDEzmJYcSv5czNy&index=13)

fillow
08-08-2021, 08:54 AM
PS - why weren’t there more songs recorded from this session?!
My best guess would be is they just went through this song multiple times.

blassster
08-08-2021, 08:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg4Yif8yniQ (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg4Yif8yniQ)

From the videos I've seen since he re-joined, Robin hasn't played the part of this song starting at 3:30 correctly/fully since this rendition of the band. It drives me crazy, especially since in this video the part sounds really cool. In AATCHB, the guitar is a bit quiet, alike the same sequence in the album version of the song, so this video is the clearest version of the part I've heard. I should check out the ninlive site for some audio.

Erneuert
08-08-2021, 11:13 PM
My best guess would be is they just went through this song multiple times.

I wish rehearsal footage existed of them trying to get Where Is Everybody? right with that part Charlie always talks about where he nails the “whoaoaoaaoaaaaa” part.

henryeatscereal
08-11-2021, 01:18 AM
I had no idea this existed, i'm so happy i found it today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkCPimlsToE

elevenism
08-11-2021, 09:23 AM
Watching this for the 108,398th time.

I really want to know what TR was thinking when he named this piece “Just Like You Imagined”. The real specifics behind giving that song that name. Maybe a message to his late grandmother, in the sense that: “yes, just like you imagined, I came up with something this epic. You would be proud.” I don’t know, but the triumphant sound of the song coupled with that title always makes me wonder.

I always thought it was about the intensity of life: just the ups and downs of normal life, being "just like you imagined" when you were a kid.
I have this idea that that song is meant to represent how powerful a life can be, with all of its struggles and triumphs, joy and tears.

And that fits with my interpretation of The Pilgrimage being about the shared, awkward ass high school.experience we all go through.

Of course, that's just one interpretation of an instrumental with a cryptic four word title.

I guess it's more of a "what it means to me" sort of thing, BUT, I felt.strongly enough to call a musical duo in which I used to play "JLYI" or "Just Like You Imagined."

mfte
08-12-2021, 08:50 AM
I was thinking... If TR ever got separated or divorced would he start playing That's What I Get live again?

BRoswell
08-12-2021, 09:05 AM
I was thinking... If TR ever got separated or divorced would he start playing That's What I Get live again?

"Trent should start using drugs again. His music was so much better when he was on drugs."

sweeterthan
08-12-2021, 09:42 AM

putting the horse before the cart a bit here, eh?

gorast
08-12-2021, 09:53 AM
Yeah, if something as major as that happened in Trent's life, he'd absolutely dig up a song from 1989 that's about as subtle and well-written as a brick through a window to illustrate how he feels.

elevenism
08-12-2021, 09:58 AM
Oh, c'mon guys. @mfte (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1083) was basically musing on whether Trent might play a sad song if he were ever sad enough again, and he MIGHT have been halfway kidding. He wasn't HOPING for Trent's divorce, or relapse.

Also, gorast , TWIG is one of my favorite songs of all time. I've been an NIN fanatic since 1992, and it just so happens that they had exactly ONE studio album back then. I was twelve. The album was great. The song was great.

mfte
08-12-2021, 03:50 PM
True heads know that I was joking.

I will use italics when attempting further comedy.

Prettybrokenspiral
08-12-2021, 06:15 PM
Man, I'm glad I didn't post the joke I had in response to mfte's..my head would be on a pike outside the ETS Estates..

sweeterthan
08-12-2021, 06:36 PM
oh boo hoo. speculating that he needs a life event to play a 30 year old song he owns is weird but ok. also, is “that’s what i get” anybody’s favorite song? like do we really want him to start playing it again…? over other awesome songs from that album like “the only time” and “ringfinger”? don’t get me wrong i like the song but i personally do not care that it’s no longer played.

BRoswell
08-12-2021, 07:33 PM
@mfte (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1083) was basically musing on whether Trent might play a sad song if he were ever sad enough again.

The fact that he still plays Something I Can Never Have (a much sadder song than That's What I Get) should be all the evidence anyone needs.

I'm speculating here, but I imagine That's What I Get or Kinda I Want To haven't been played since those initial tours because Trent's not a big fan of them. They got played because there was one (1) album to promote at the time. No amount of hardcore revamping could make up for "now I'm slipping on the tears you made me cry". Plus, are those tracks anyone's favorites? Even if you like them, you have to admit they're not the best tracks on Pretty Hate Machine.

over other awesome songs from that album like “the only time” and “ringfinger”?

I need a revamped version of Ringfinger so badly.

Prettybrokenspiral
08-12-2021, 08:01 PM
I, for one, would love to hear something like TWIG instead of Terrible Lie or HLAH for the 6,000,000th time, but hey, that's just me..

botley
08-12-2021, 09:02 PM
^ Yes, it literally is.

Erneuert
08-12-2021, 10:04 PM
I, for one, would love to hear something like TWIG instead of Terrible Lie or HLAH for the 6,000,000th time, but hey, that's just me..

For a second I was thinking “since when did Trent write a song about a twig?” then my brain came back.

Erneuert
08-12-2021, 10:07 PM
Regarding old songs, I think just to satiate our OCD palette, Trent should just do a series of “one off” complete album playthroughs like Gary Numan has done with Telekon, TPP and Replicas. Do all of PHM and it’s b-sides at one show, maybe throw in Purest Feeling stuff at a second show. Do a Broken/Fixed night. And record them all, kinda like what APC did with their live albums, but don’t play silly remix versions *ahem*3 Libras*ahem*.

elevenism
08-12-2021, 11:19 PM
^ Yes, it literally is.It's REALLY not.

I'd go nuts if I heard TWIG live. I've never understood the disdain for that song. For the record, it IS one of my favorite NIN songs. It's got the backwards cymbal or whatever it is, that sounds like a knife being sharpened, in a frightening manner. It's got the weird ass percussion noises. The keyboard parts are stunning. It's badass. It gives me goosebumps.
Maybe the lyrics are a bit sophomoric, but, hey, I fell in love with it when I was twelve years old.

And I literally skip HLAH at this point.

Idk. Maybe it's because I'm an older fan, being 41?

Also, sweeterthan , how is The Only Time THAT much better than TWIG? Those songs are PRETTY damn similar, to my ear, and the same goes for Ringfinger.

Erneuert
08-12-2021, 11:36 PM
It's REALLY not.

I'd go nuts if I heard TWIG live. I've never understood the disdain for that song. For the record, it IS one of my favorite NIN songs. It's got the backwards cymbal or whatever it is, that sounds like a knife being sharpened, in a frightening manner. It's got the weird ass percussion noises. The keyboard parts are stunning. It's badass. It gives me goosebumps.
Maybe the lyrics are a bit sophomoric, but, hey, I fell in love with it when I was twelve years old.

Also, @sweeterthan (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=50) , how is The Only Time THAT much better than TWIG? Those songs are PRETTY damn similar, to my ear, and the same goes for Ringfinger.

I’ll one up you and even say that That’s What I Get was my favourite track off PHM at one point. He could play it as-is and just change “now I’m slipping on the tears you made me cry” to “now I’ve fallen on your dagger that made me die” or something like that, no? :D

I even dig the even cheesier demo version.

Prettybrokenspiral
08-13-2021, 07:23 AM
^ Yes, it literally is.

Of course you would take it literally, robotley.

Why don't you go down in your basement and make a 2-hour podcast about it..

Prettybrokenspiral
08-13-2021, 07:26 AM
It's REALLY not.

Also, @sweeterthan (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=50) , how is The Only Time THAT much better than TWIG? Those songs are PRETTY damn similar, to my ear, and the same goes for Ringfinger.

Right? How could anyone possibly enjoy certain songs on PHM or in the Nails discography that certain gatekeepers are so sure no one else would be into. Unfathomable..

botley
08-13-2021, 08:30 AM

Probably that. If they skipped "Head Like a Hole" to play "That's What I Get" instead, you'd just see a handful of middle-aged dudes rocking out scattered around the venue and several thousand other people confused or staring at their shoes.

BRoswell
08-13-2021, 08:52 AM

That's the problem though. The lyrics sound like the musings of a horned up teenager. Do we really want to hear a 56 year old man singing about just learning how to kiss?

I think it's okay to like a song, or even have it be a favorite, while also admitting that it hasn't aged particularly well. I still listen to a lot of 90s rap music with some truly cringeworthy lyrics, so I can't pass judgement on that sort of thing. I just think that Trent is definitely not in a place anymore where singing that song would feel genuine. Head Like A Hole gets played because it was a huge hit, everyone knows it, and the lyrics are still (sadly) relevant. That's What I Get feels more like a relic. Relics can be cool, but sometimes there's a reason they're collecting dust.

tony.parente
08-13-2021, 10:29 AM
Play the demo version of Sanctified with the Flock of Seagulls guitar riff you coward.

WorzelG
08-13-2021, 11:14 AM
This version of Ringfinger is AMAZING though

https://youtu.be/YJiUF0nbFt4

ekrekel
08-13-2021, 11:18 AM
That's the problem though. The lyrics sound like the musings of a horned up teenager. Do we really want to hear a 56 year old man singing about just learning how to kiss?....

And with that, I'll add NIN covers "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" to my Year Zero bingo card.

This version of Ringfinger is AMAZING though
Ok, I'll risk losing my fanboy card here, but that is atrocious. It sounds as if they were all wearing headphones playing along to different tracks. [FlameOn]

WorzelG
08-13-2021, 12:51 PM
And with that, I'll add NIN covers "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" to my Year Zero bingo card.

Ok, I'll risk losing my fanboy card here, but that is atrocious. It sounds as if they were all wearing headphones playing along to different tracks. [FlameOn]
no one seems to like Ringfinger so you’re probably in the majority here.

sweeterthan
08-13-2021, 01:56 PM
Right? How could anyone possibly enjoy certain songs on PHM or in the Nails discography that certain gatekeepers are so sure no one else would be into. Unfathomable..

certain gatekeeper is the name of my new band

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
08-13-2021, 03:52 PM
The best is how certain people are claiming "Thats What I Get" is a cheesy/embarrassing song yet theres an actual thread here devoted to people claiming "Everything" is a masterpiece lmao...."Everything" is the most embarrassing CRINGE worthy pile of shit he has done since Option 30/Exotic Birds era and the fact some people try to justify it as some misunderstood piece of art is laughable. 'Everything' makes 'Thats What I Get' look like 'Imagine' by John Lennon

Magnetic
08-13-2021, 04:43 PM
I would love to hear The Only Time live.

That's all I got. Ya'll can continue arguing now.

elevenism
08-13-2021, 04:53 PM
Do we really want to hear a 56 year old man singing about just learning how to kiss?.

Yes.

I mean, maybe I'm using the Royal "We?"

But good god, listen to the PRODUCTION on that song.

elevenism
08-13-2021, 04:55 PM
The best is how certain people are claiming "Thats What I Get" is a cheesy/embarrassing song yet theres an actual thread here devoted to people claiming "Everything" is a masterpiece lmao...."Everything" is the most embarrassing CRINGE worthy pile of shit he has done since Option 30/Exotic Birds era and the fact some people try to justify it as some misunderstood piece of art is laughable. 'Everything' makes 'Thats What I Get' look like 'Imagine' by John Lennon

Amen. Preach.

ALSO. JESUS Harold Christ. Why do you guys get so ANGRY about this shit?

Fuck @botley (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=469) fuck @Prettybrokenspiral (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=911) fuck @sweeterthan (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=50) fuck ELEVEN, etc? REALLY?

It's kind of silly. It's obscure songs from one of the more obscure records made by a band we all adore.

E'erbody calm down, y'all, as we say in Texas.

BRoswell
08-13-2021, 07:22 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpFmdH6WJ2M
But yeah, Everything is better than That's What I Get.

elevenism
08-13-2021, 08:02 PM
AGAIN.
Everybody take it easy, for fuck's sake.

I feel more comfortable talking in the guns thread or the feminism thread than this one, currently.

BRoswell
08-13-2021, 08:16 PM
I'm being pretty chill about this to be honest. I'm definitely not the one going into histrionics about it (like certain attention-seeking members of our fair community). Frankly, I don't care if it's someone's favorite song or not. I can see why people like it, but I can also see why it hasn't been played in thirty years. I don't think that's an overly controversial stance to take on it. Certainly not worth people flipping their wig and calling me a gatekeeper. (I'm a cryptkeeper, fools. Get it right!)

sweeterthan
08-13-2021, 09:38 PM
edit: gate open

elevenism
08-15-2021, 02:50 PM
Ok so, I want to make something clear.

A couple of my posts weren't worded very well. I had taken an extra Xanax; I'm going through some stress.

All I meant to say was that we shouldn't be hateful to one another over which songs we like or don't like, by our mutual favorite band.

elevenism
08-15-2021, 02:57 PM
SO. With that out of the way, allow me to.change the subject:

For those of you who are my age-in the, idk, 39-45 range, (I'm 41, for.the record,)

Did Pretty Hate Machine inform how you thought you were supposed to act in your early relationships, like, with your first love?

I know it certainly warped my idea of what was normal. I discovered it when I was 12, and i thought it was sooooooo cool, that i think it made me extremely dramatic with my first couple of girlfriends: ESPECIALLY the one I was with all four years of HS.

HWB
08-16-2021, 12:01 AM
I'm sorry guys but "That's What I Get" is the only Nine Inch Nails song which I personally cannot defend even if I were to try, the lyricism and the vocal delivery is just not a thing I can defend from any possible angle. I am glad some of you like it though, it'd be a boring world if we all agreed with each other.

As for "Everything", I think the only thing that really stands out is the opening of the song, Trent's low note is a little jarring, but the song itself is not that much from then forward. I think the opening of the song really doesn't help with people's views on that song, I still get not liking that song though.

It's funny cuz I can probably defend other really weird things from this band which people may consider just as embarassing which in my ears doesn't sound embarassing, like With_Teeth's title-track's chorus and Getting Smaller's FLIP-FLOP-FLIP-FLOP-FLIP. I find those kind of charming and I like them.

piggy
08-16-2021, 04:04 AM
One redeeming feature of "That's What I Get" is the outro. It's low-key one of my favorite moments on the album, TBH.

Erneuert
08-16-2021, 06:05 AM
One redeeming feature of "That's What I Get" is the outro. It's low-key one of my favorite moments on the album, TBH.

That and the intro. The intro has always reminded me of, like, someone hitting a wrench against some industrial metal or tubing and getting that tune out of it. Catchy as hell.

Deacon Blackfire
08-19-2021, 07:19 PM
Whenever we get new NIN...I hope it's something seething with blistering anger. That would hit the spot. That would be therapeutic.

chuckrh
08-26-2021, 04:49 AM
I would love to have Trent & Atticus produce Lorde. I got into her via an interview with Bowie where he proclaimed she was the future of music (at age 17!). I found the new record underwhelming though other than the loan from Primal Scream. I place the blame on the production from the guy for Bleachers. I think that guy (Jack Aranoff?) & band are seriously overrated. I think Trent & Atticus could bring out the best of Lorde.

Wulgaren
08-26-2021, 05:22 AM
i hate jackoff but lorde can bring the best of him (unlike st vincent's albums with him which are just a mess)

still id love a different producer asap, especially if its trent and atti

zecho
08-26-2021, 06:16 PM
I was also massively disappointed in the new Lorde album. It felt like it stripped away everything that made Lorde different. I think Jack Antonoff is a talented dude who's helped make some great albums, but I'm really just sick of him. He seems to be everywhere and his songwriting and production, while once fun, is now kind of grating with how prevalent it is.

fillow
09-10-2021, 03:51 PM
I had some issues with my PC speakers lately: the right channel output is not working and until I get time to get it fixed, I plugged both speakers to the left output. So I essentially have now 2 x left channel + sub. This configuration produces some interesting alt mixes of most of my music library and NIN/TRAR stuff in particular

elevenism
09-10-2021, 04:27 PM
I'm sorry guys but "That's What I Get" is the only Nine Inch Nails song which I personally cannot defend even if I were to try, the lyricism and the vocal delivery is just not a thing I can defend from any possible angle. I am glad some of you like it though, it'd be a boring world if we all agreed with each other.

i'm almost certain it's an age thing.

If you heard PHM before you heard TDS, and listened to it constantly for a couple of your formative years, before there was any "fuck you like an animal" business on MTV and your VERY best shot at catching anything NIN related was seeing Wish on Headbanger's Ball, then, you PROBABLY have a soft spot in your heart for EVERY nin song you could find pre 1994, from TWIG, to GDML, to Throw This Away.
You can likely discuss the finer points of the differences between the Empathetic and Sympathetic mixes of Terrible Lie. I'd bet you had Copper, Coil, Slate and Clay ranked.
More than anything, though, i can't imagine anyone who heard PHM at 11 or 12, pre TDS, thinking "all of these songs are great, but that ONE? the lyrics are totally sophomoric, bro."

henryeatscereal
09-10-2021, 06:47 PM
I really like "That's what i get"... (also "Maybe just once" and "Purest Feeling")

Hyperpower
09-11-2021, 09:35 AM
With the Halsey collab and the many mentions of various musicians, I'd like to add Metric to that list of bands I'd like to see TR and AR work with. I feel that would be a beastly combination and would blow people away :)

piggy
09-11-2021, 03:00 PM
I was listening to a lot of Janet Jackson at the beginning of this month and it got me wondering what it would be like if she did an album with TR+AR. I mean, her early albums had industrial style beats on them. Just sayin'...

elevenism
09-13-2021, 03:29 PM
I was listening to a lot of Janet Jackson at the beginning of this month and it got me wondering what it would be like if she did an album with TR+AR. I mean, her early albums had industrial style beats on them. Just sayin'...

Shit, what about this?
Obviously we can't have a collab now, but I sure was dreaming of one when I heard THIS shit.

https://youtu.be/K_G5DLYRz6M

fillow
09-13-2021, 04:56 PM
Anyone thinking TR suddenly decides to continue this path of producing pop acts right now is fooling themselves. The whole point of this project was just to try something different and to maybe get inspired by the outcome for a new direction of NIN (which they sorta archived, per the interview video). Yes, they may do this again in the future, but I wouldn't hold my breath for anything happening in this department soon.

allegate
09-13-2021, 05:16 PM
for clarification: are we using the accepted definition of "soon" or the Trent definition?

sweeterthan
09-13-2021, 05:18 PM
janelle monae is evolved janet. she’s the only logical choice.

Magnetic
09-13-2021, 09:08 PM
i'm almost certain it's an age thing.

If you heard PHM before you heard TDS, and listened to it constantly for a couple of your formative years, before there was any "fuck you like an animal" business on MTV and your VERY best shot at catching anything NIN related was seeing Wish on Headbanger's Ball, then, you PROBABLY have a soft spot in your heart for EVERY nin song you could find pre 1994, from TWIG, to GDML, to Throw This Away.
You can likely discuss the finer points of the differences between the Empathetic and Sympathetic mixes of Terrible Lie. I'd bet you had Copper, Coil, Slate and Clay ranked.
More than anything, though, i can't imagine anyone who heard PHM at 11 or 12, pre TDS, thinking "all of these songs are great, but that ONE? the lyrics are totally sophomoric, bro."

Eh, I felt like Kinda I Want To was sophomoric after Closer was released. I was one of those 12 year olds who fell in love with PHM.
These days I have a NIN playlist (sacrilege I know!) when I'm driving an feel in the mood without committing to "dropping the needle and going on a journey" because I don't have the fucking time. And that's my reality, judge all you want.

From PHM, the songs I don't skip over are Terrible Lie, Sanctified, Down In It, Ring Finger and the Only Time. I'd say the Only Time is probably my fav from that album...followed by Terrible Lie. They feel the most raw and exposed without being overly hard? And don't get me wrong, I still rank Broken high on my list of albums, so I like the hard sound (the breakdown in Happiness in Slavery followed by the bass line is still fucking sick IMO).

Erneuert
09-13-2021, 09:38 PM
Anyone thinking TR suddenly decides to continue this path of producing pop acts right now is fooling themselves. The whole point of this project was just to try something different and to maybe get inspired by the outcome for a new direction of NIN (which they sorta archived, per the interview video). Yes, they may do this again in the future, but I wouldn't hold my breath for anything happening in this department soon.

And just to re-mention, the Jakalope project TR was involved with years ago was very poppy and people didn’t get fussed over it. He likes to have his fingers in many pies.

blassster
09-17-2021, 04:13 AM
Just had a NIN dream and I can't fall back to sleep, but here's a "weird state of mind" post about a dream that nobody cares about, which I'll probably forget about posting:

In my dream, NIN had a new manager and on the band management website, there was a NIN section that said they were working on 8 new projects at the same time, and on any new projects the team was given lots of freedom and guest singers were "allowed to deepthroat".

Then I met arsenic, leviathant, and ltrandazzo in my old backyard and I set up a fill in the blank trivia thing for them. It was just a single question, with just the website blurb leaving out the unguessable word "deepthroat". I couldn't get over this insane piece of information that wasn't fully explained on the site and I kept losing my mind about it.

Edit: man it's funny when you wake up to see what you've posted in the middle of the night

nooneimportant
09-17-2021, 06:28 AM
Just had a NIN dream and I can't fall back to sleep, but here's a "weird state of mind" post about a dream that nobody cares about, which I'll probably forget about posting:

In my dream, NIN had a new manager and on the band management website, there was a NIN section that said they were working on 8 new projects at the same time, and on any new projects the team was given lots of freedom and guest singers were "allowed to deepthroat".

Then I met arsenic, leviathant, and ltrandazzo in my old backyard and I set up a fill in the blank trivia thing for them. It was just a single question, with just the website blurb leaving out the unguessable word "deepthroat". I couldn't get over this insane piece of information that wasn't fully explained on the site and I kept losing my mind about it.

New NIN album titled Deep Throat. 120 minutes of industrial sex jams and Al Jourgensen. Make it happen.

Erneuert
09-17-2021, 07:56 AM

You can imagine what I’m picturing with “deepthroat” coupled with your username.

mfte
09-17-2021, 01:45 PM
I recently have been hanging out with someone whose cousin met Jerome back in 2000 and eventually became engaged to him briefly. Apparently he was a very controlling creep. Go figure.

scorpiusdiamond
09-20-2021, 05:33 AM
Shit, what about this?
Obviously we can't have a collab now, but I sure was dreaming of one when I heard THIS shit.

https://youtu.be/K_G5DLYRz6M

Can't find actual solid proof, but MJ was a big fan of The Downward Spiral, and Closer. This track was meant to be inspired by NIN too.
No wonder I loved this track so much before I got into NIN, it was part of my DNA all along!

Shadaloo
09-23-2021, 01:23 PM
Sometimes I just find myself randomly thinking about that music video interlude in Closure where there's a dead rabbit on a hook just being flung around.

Erneuert
09-23-2021, 07:09 PM
Sometimes I just find myself randomly thinking about that music video interlude in Closure where there's a dead rabbit on a hook just being flung around.

Your next appointment at my clinic is Tuesday next week. We’ll look at tripling your medication. ;)

elevenism
09-23-2021, 09:17 PM
bobbie solo is listening to Drake, instead of NIN.

We can prove this by looking at the "What Are You Listening To" thread.

Drake is fucking awful.

ekrekel
09-24-2021, 12:47 PM
A snarky Malm comment in another thread sent me down the litigation rabbit hole. Reading the record of the NIN trademark logo court transcript (https://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/rod/docs/pdf/8/2009/2009-ohio-2577.pdf) was sort of lolish. Malm basically throws his atty-client privileges' with his previous counsel out the window by voluntarily referring to details, then essentially leads the judge to believe the previous counsel knowingly submitted false statement to the point the judge asks "Let me ask defense counsel, do you know of any reason why I should not refer to the appropriate authorities – both bar association grievance committee, disciplinary authorities in Ohio, and also perhaps the U.S. Attorney’s office in Washington – the seeming evidence that [Fay Sharpe attorneys] knowingly prepared and submitted a false declaration?"

He apparently also likened TR giving half of the NIN logo trademark to him like he was giving him a stick of gum. *slow clap

bobbie solo
09-25-2021, 03:12 AM
@bobbie solo (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=753) is listening to Drake, instead of NIN.

Drake is fucking awful.

sometimes you gotta run through the 6.

Max
09-25-2021, 11:37 AM
@bobbie solo (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=753) is listening to Drake, instead of NIN.

Drake is fucking awful.

Man, been here a few years but I feel like I missed something...
1. Is bobbie solo famous (ETS) that we are concerned about their listening habits?
2. Is this a joke, or are we actually investigating random people's listening habits? Or is there a feud I missed?

I am assuming this is a joke or something...

elevenism
09-25-2021, 03:12 PM
1. Is @bobbie solo (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=753) famous (ETS) that we are concerned about their listening habits?
2. Is this a joke, or are we actually investigating random people's listening habits? Or is there a feud I missed?

@bobie solo is ETS INFAMOUS, at the very least, ain't it?
Anyway,
2, part A, and part C, although in a farcical nature.
Friendly ball breaking.

TheBang
09-26-2021, 08:52 AM
A snarky Malm comment in another thread sent me down the litigation rabbit hole. Reading the record of the NIN trademark logo court transcript (https://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/rod/docs/pdf/8/2009/2009-ohio-2577.pdf) was sort of lolish.
Wow, the details in that appeal are WILD!

bobbie solo
10-18-2021, 02:13 AM
1. Is @bobbie solo (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=753) famous (ETS) that we are concerned about their listening habits?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PessimisticEducatedGermanspaniel-max-1mb.gif

NIN –Downward Spiral Book
10-20-2021, 07:23 AM
READ - an excerpt from my book Into The Never on how PHM and Broken paved the way for The Downward Spiral!

https://adamsteiner.uk/nine-inch-nails-into-the-never/ (https://adamsteiner.uk/2020/10/21/how-pretty-hate-machine-and-broken-created-the-downward-spiral/?fbclid=IwAR0fdTTFCQud0Fi0B4Iiu7gJdJzFy9kSIppLvBMq lCLIlFxX-NK8-TfLnyc)

ickyvicky
10-21-2021, 08:44 AM
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/246524969_4672639539460448_434241392359889433_n.jp g?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=z4P_q-_390QAX9xBNkH&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=a2b1c5c8db5255e7a52beee580e7e521&oe=61971673

ghostaustin
11-01-2021, 10:48 AM
Seeing all the RnR HOF stuff from this year has made me kinda salty that NIN didn't get to perform at the ceremony last year

Papagolash
11-03-2021, 04:12 PM
No matter how hard I try to hear Trent in the song Is Your Love Strong Enough? I can never hear him. All I hear is Phil Collins.

ryanmcfly
11-15-2021, 06:57 AM
I was the best man at my best friends wedding the other day and the grooms party walked down to Together off of Ghosts.

BRoswell
11-15-2021, 08:40 AM
I was the best man at my best friends wedding the other day and the grooms party walked down to Together off of Ghosts.

The entire album?!?! :p

3knic
11-21-2021, 10:43 AM
Sometimes when I'm pissy with my wife and doing the dishes, I imagine that my life is a musical where I sing Ringfinger in that moment

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

GentlemanLoser
11-21-2021, 04:03 PM
No matter how hard I try to hear Trent in the song Is Your Love Strong Enough? I can never hear him. All I hear is Phil Collins.

It is my favorite part of that song. What an odd choice, but it works perfectly for the song. How does one even do that vocal effect? Is it just like a mild phaser effect coupled with more mundane stuff like particular EQ'ing? I'd love to know how to do that effect myself, even though I doubt I would have much use for it.

nooneimportant
11-22-2021, 05:55 AM
Was just listening to Ripe (With Decay) and had Shit Mirror queued up to come on after. It went together perfectly. It felt like Shit Mirror had one long intro. I recommend trying that one out.

sick among the pure
11-22-2021, 10:16 AM
Was just listening to Ripe (With Decay) and had Shit Mirror queued up to come on after. It went together perfectly. It felt like Shit Mirror had one long intro. I recommend trying that one out.

The only good thing that comes out of listening to NIN on shuffle, you can get some really interesting lead-ins like that.

buckaroo
11-26-2021, 04:12 PM
It has been almost 5 years since what I assumed to be the “first” Deviations release was announced. Every year around this time I hope another one of these releases gets announced.

mfte
11-29-2021, 10:17 AM
It has been almost 5 years since what I assumed to be the “first” Deviations release was announced. Every year around this time I hope another one of these releases gets announced.

I wonder what another Deviations release could look like.
The Fragile is the only record as far as we know that had a tonne of unreleased material, alternate versions.
We already have the TDS instrumentals. What else could there be to justify another release like this? (don't say Tapeworm).

fillow
11-29-2021, 12:28 PM
I wonder what another Deviations release could look like.
The Fragile is the only record as far as we know that had a tonne of unreleased material, alternate versions.
We already have the TDS instrumentals. What else could there be to justify another release like this? (don't say Tapeworm).

Almost any album, really. Maybe not 3CDs worth of finished tracks, but we know how anal Trent is about keeping all the outtakes locked.
With Teeth piano demos (or pre-Grohl versions). Don't forget 3 extra tracks in the lyric poster.
Year Zero laptop demos.
Hez Marks/Dave Sitek demos.
Anything they scrapped from Bad Witch (after they realized they're getting Add Violence 2, per Trent's own words).

Wasn't there also much more music recorded with Zack? I don't think we'll hear it, but in theory TR can throw Zack's vocals away (if there are any) and turn the rest into his own thing.

allegate
11-29-2021, 02:17 PM
I thought there was an entire finished album with Zack?
Following the disbandment of Rage Against the Machine, de la Rocha worked on a solo album he had been recording since before the band's dissolution, working with DJ Shadow (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_Shadow), El-P (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El-P), Muggs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muggs), Dan The Automator (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_The_Automator), Roni Size (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roni_Size), DJ Premier (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_Premier) and Questlove (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Questlove) with production partner James Poyser (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Poyser).[24] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zack_de_la_Rocha#cite_note-zackquit-24) The album never came to fruition, and de la Rocha started a new collaboration with Trent Reznor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent_Reznor) of Nine Inch Nails (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Inch_Nails), in which around 20 tracks were produced.[25] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zack_de_la_Rocha#cite_note-reznor-25) Reznor thought the work was "excellent",[25] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zack_de_la_Rocha#cite_note-reznor-25) but said the songs will likely never be released as de la Rocha was not "ready to make a record" at that time.[26] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zack_de_la_Rocha#cite_note-26) On working with DJ Shadow and Reznor, de la Rocha admitted in a 2008 interview that:

When I left Rage ... first off, I was very heartbroken, and secondly, I became obsessed with completely reinventing my wheel. In an unhealthy way, to a degree. I kind of forgot that old way of allowing yourself to just be a conduit. When I was working with Trent and Shadow, I felt that I was going through the motions. Not that what was produced wasn't great, but I feel now that I've maybe reinvented the base sounds that emanate from the songs.[27] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zack_de_la_Rocha#cite_note-latimesblogs.latimes.com-27)it's up in the air as to whether Zack or Guillermo del Toro are worse at announcing and never releasing/producing their work.

piggy
11-29-2021, 02:30 PM
Hez Marks/Dave Sitek demos.
I thought the only thing Dave Sitek did for TR was a couple of remixes, and that Markus Dravs was the early producer for HM.

sonic_discord
11-29-2021, 02:40 PM
Trent made it sound like they left no stone unturned when they were making Hesitation Marks as far as exploring different approaches before they settled on the more minimal and electronic sound. I'm sure there's lots of alternate versions of many of those tracks, in addition to the instrumentals that were included on the iTunes "In Conversation With" interview track. Also, who's to say a volume of Deviations NEEDS to be as expansive as the one for The Fragile? I think it would be cool to get smaller volumes, too. The abandoned tracks recorded between Add Violence and Bad Witch would be a perfect place to start. There are probably a few more tracks from the trilogy that ended up on the cutting room floor, as well. I'd still welcome a repackaged version of the trilogy with an extra track or two and an edit of The Background World that truncates the looped ending.

allegate
11-29-2021, 02:57 PM
Hell, there's a FDTS v2 (and v3 if you're into that) so why not make a v2 of the trilogy.

sonic_discord
11-29-2021, 05:24 PM
Hell, there's a FDTS v2 (and v3 if you're into that) so why not make a v2 of the trilogy.

Not the Actual Trilogy

buckaroo
11-29-2021, 06:19 PM
Almost any album, really. Maybe not 3CDs worth of finished tracks, but we know how anal Trent is about keeping all the outtakes locked.
With Teeth piano demos (or pre-Grohl versions). Don't forget 3 extra tracks in the lyric poster.
Year Zero laptop demos.

Yeah, I always assumed With Teeth would be the next in line. I assumed there was a ton of material from that era, even if just in demo form. I would also like to hear the Year Zero track with Josh Homme at some point.

Right now I would be satisfied with the rest of the Walled Off Hotel performance. Seriously, why is there no info about that. The one track was amazing and we were just left hanging. Please release this in any format.

Erneuert
11-30-2021, 08:30 AM

v3?

Wulgaren
11-30-2021, 03:23 PM
yes i would love more of walled off hotel

allegate
11-30-2021, 03:58 PM
v3?
honestly it's been part of my iTunes library for so long I don't recall where I found it. maybe one of the archive downloads?

implanted_microchip
11-30-2021, 07:36 PM
Not even considering Deviations, I miss proper remix releases. The last one was for Hesitation Marks and it isn’t even on streaming. I get that the market for that doesn’t exist anymore but NIN is a band that doesn’t really need a market for anything. I can’t even imagine what fans with the multitracks for the trilogy could come up with.

amplific
12-02-2021, 09:32 AM
Here I was hoping for a Fragile Deviations vol II that was just 4x LPs worth of the raw Mike Garson sessions.

spahn
12-02-2021, 07:14 PM
Not even considering Deviations, I miss proper remix releases. The last one was for Hesitation Marks and it isn’t even on streaming. I get that the market for that doesn’t exist anymore but NIN is a band that doesn’t really need a market for anything. I can’t even imagine what fans with the multitracks for the trilogy could come up with.I recently asked nincatalog twitter followers about whether they would like another proper remix album release and I don't think I received one "no, I wouldn't care for that" comment.

BRoswell
12-02-2021, 07:24 PM
I'm surprised we didn't get any remixes from the EP trilogy. Then again, maybe Trent & Atticus just wanted them to stand on their own without any reinterpretations. The fact that they've done a couple remixes of their own in the past decade tells me that there's still an interest in them on their part.

hobochic
12-03-2021, 08:31 AM
Here's a random question.

I remember nin.com posting photos during the bleedthrough WIP era, before it turned into With Teeth. One of those images was of a Fender Jaguar in close up, and I seem to think another photo with Trent and the Fender Jaguar. (not sure about the latter)

Anyone know where I can find these photos?

It might also have been during the With Teeth WIP era, can't remember.

I know for a fact that it was way earlier than The Slip era when Alessandro started to play with Jazzmasters live.

This is a Jaguar

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/NKj6hCLkUWHJs9saKX2v78-320-80.jpg

This is a Jazzmaster
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/2f/0b/dc/2f0bdc6a247d234f7161575ab64ae05f.jpg

Both incredible guitars. <3

blassster
12-03-2021, 11:12 AM
Here's a random question.

I remember nin.com posting photos during the bleedthrough WIP era, before it turned into With Teeth. One of those images was of a Fender Jaguar in close up, and I seem to think another photo with Trent and the Fender Jaguar. (not sure about the latter)

Anyone know where I can find these photos?

It might also have been during the With Teeth WIP era, can't remember.

I know for a fact that it was way earlier than The Slip era when Alessandro started to play with Jazzmasters live.

This is a Jaguar

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/NKj6hCLkUWHJs9saKX2v78-320-80.jpg

This is a Jazzmaster
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/2f/0b/dc/2f0bdc6a247d234f7161575ab64ae05f.jpg

Both incredible guitars. <3https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqmqdjwa75trl1z/5-22-04.jpg

sonic_discord
12-03-2021, 11:27 AM
Not even considering Deviations, I miss proper remix releases.

I miss the GOOD remix albums. I absolutely love FDTS and FTA. Fixed has grown on me, but I have to be in the right mood for that one. Year Zero Remixed was alright (some great remixes, some not so great), but I thought the Hesitation Marks remixes were mostly mediocre (the ones on the deluxe edition were the best ones). With Teeth probably had enough remixes to have a remix album, but those remixes were spread all over the dozens of different versions of the singles and they were mostly for those 3 songs. If they had thrown in Not So Pretty Now and Non-Entity, they probably would have had enough material to put out a remix album (after all, TFA had two new songs that weren't on The Fragile). The Hand That Feeds would have been the new Starfuckers (version) though!

trollmanen
12-03-2021, 03:20 PM
Right now I would be satisfied with the rest of the Walled Off Hotel performance. Seriously, why is there no info about that. The one track was amazing and we were just left hanging. Please release this in any format.

I must have missed hearing any of the Walled Off Hotel thing. Does anyone have it in a shareable format?

hobochic
12-03-2021, 03:43 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqmqdjwa75trl1z/5-22-04.jpg

Wow. That's exactly what I remembered. Thank you!

buckaroo
12-03-2021, 05:47 PM
I must have missed hearing any of the Walled Off Hotel thing. Does anyone have it in a shareable format?

at some point I think they released it via a website, but then posted it on the official Null Corp Youtube page:

https://youtu.be/hxgaIodUpuw

piggy
12-03-2021, 05:59 PM
at some point I think they released it via a website, but then posted it on the official Null Corp Youtube page
You can still download it, but it's low quality:
http://walledoffhotel.com/media/green-lines.mp3

trollmanen
12-03-2021, 09:42 PM
at some point I think they released it via a website, but then posted it on the official Null Corp Youtube page:

https://youtu.be/hxgaIodUpuw

Thanks for posting this, I definitely missed this!

Tom
12-07-2021, 07:01 AM
I really hope TR goes into Santa-mode and surprises us with something before the year is out. Mank vinyl would be sweet.

buckaroo
12-07-2021, 11:20 AM
I really hope TR goes into Santa-mode and surprises us with something before the year is out. Mank vinyl would be sweet.

I think we could put together a full Christmas list of “soon” items at this point.

blassster
12-09-2021, 02:12 PM
https://twitter.com/ai_curio_bot/status/1469036070226513922

otnavuskire
12-10-2021, 02:51 PM
Ilan's twitter account seems to have been hacked. It's "selling" PS5s.

shagg_187
12-14-2021, 11:53 AM
An oldie, but you can't tell me Trent Reznor wasn't inspired by Billy Joel losing his shit in 1987.

https://youtu.be/O3cBp_Bf43M

sweeterthan
12-14-2021, 12:27 PM
An oldie, but you can't tell me Trent Reznor wasn't inspired by Billy Joel losing his shit in 1987.

https://youtu.be/O3cBp_Bf43M

that totally caught me off guard. hilarious.

fillow
12-14-2021, 03:13 PM
^^
What's he saying there? Stop **something** the audience?

blassster
12-14-2021, 05:16 PM
^^
What's he saying there? Stop **something** the audience?Stop lighting the audience. I forgot about this, comical.

Erneuert
12-14-2021, 08:02 PM
Can someone with the time and patience extend the first clip and overlay it with the end of the second clip being said 2,500 times please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AcGtmJoJOI (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0AcGtmJoJOI)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiMUN1LvyYI (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NiMUN1LvyYI)

jmtd
12-17-2021, 02:21 AM
Now would be an awesome time for a surprise NIN EP to drop

sonic_discord
12-17-2021, 12:59 PM

"...Remember the string of releases that I told you was a trilogy?" *puts on Morpheus shades* "What if I told you that it was missing a chapter and it's actually a quadrilogy?"

It really would be amazing to get one of those "I haven't been totally honest about what I've been up to lately" emails!

sweeterthan
12-17-2021, 01:00 PM
remember when he’d release free things at christmas for us? i miss those days.

fillow
12-17-2021, 03:17 PM
remember when we'd get occasional studio photos and cryptic updates? i miss those days.
there were basically none since The Slip and HTDA s/t

elevenism
12-17-2021, 06:09 PM
so surely we're ALL thinking about 2022 being Year Zero.
And Trent WANTED us to be thinking of it, with the Add Violence materials.

I think something interesting is around the corner.

spahn
12-19-2021, 03:20 PM
I want some random messge, release anything to happen in the worst way!

jmtd
12-20-2021, 02:51 AM
"...Remember the string of releases that I told you was a trilogy?" *puts on Morpheus shades* "What if I told you that it was missing a chapter and it's actually a quadrilogy?"

As long as he didn’t use the word “quadrilogy” I’d be hyped

sonic_discord
12-20-2021, 08:50 AM
As long as he didn’t use the word “quadrilogy” I’d be hyped

Tetralogy?

BRoswell
12-20-2021, 09:43 AM

Would love to see it happen, but I have a feeling Trent & Atticus are sitting out the rest of the year.

jmtd
12-20-2021, 12:32 PM
Tetralogy?

When the alien movies did it I waited for “saga”. Although that doesn’t really work for a string of EPs.

Quartet?

Papagolash
12-22-2021, 09:16 AM
^^
What's he saying there? Stop **something** the audience?

Quotes and backstory here https://www.vice.com/en/article/bjxq74/30-years-ago-billy-joel-had-a-meltdown-in-moscow

Just found out about this over the weekend, never knew it existed. Love how he smashes the mic and continues to sing like a fucking pro.

M1ke
12-28-2021, 05:51 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Head Like a Hole seems a bit out of place on Pretty Hate Machine?

I only mean compared to the rest of the album. I love the song, it just doesn't seem to really fit in with everything else on there to me.

fillow
12-29-2021, 12:44 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Head Like a Hole seems a bit out of place on Pretty Hate Machine?

I only mean compared to the rest of the album. I love the song, it just doesn't seem to really fit in with everything else on there to me.

I don't think it's out place, really. But it does stand out purely by the fact that it was the last song written for the album, while most of others were hanging around for a while.

Max
12-29-2021, 08:58 AM

yeah, for sure. I always felt like that. The rest of the album has such a different feel to it. It’s not bad that it is on there, it just feels really unique. Only thing that comes close is terrible lie.

BRoswell
12-29-2021, 12:24 PM
Pretty Hate Machine is the sound of an artist in flux. Trent was trying to find his own sound at the time, and he was moving away from the synthpop sounds of the bands he was in before Nine Inch Nails. If you listen to the Purest Feeling bootleg, it's much more in line with that sound than the final album. Head Like A Hole is kind of Trent's way of saying "here's what I'm really into and where I want to go".

Wulgaren
12-30-2021, 10:32 AM
just listened to capital g switch remix for the first time - biggest bop ever

is the original so weird sounding or is the circulating rip just so filtered?

3knic
12-30-2021, 11:41 AM
just listened to capital g switch remix for the first time - biggest bop ever

is the original so weird sounding or is the circulating rip just so filtered?The remix is crazy, like it was recorded in a circus fun house. I'm not sure of the copy you have but it does sound processed. I have an mp3 copy that I ripped directly from the vinyl when it was released, shoot me a message if you want a link

MrLobster
12-30-2021, 12:46 PM
The remix is crazy, like it was recorded in a circus fun house. I'm not sure of the copy you have but it does sound processed. I have an mp3 copy that I ripped directly from the vinyl when it was released, shoot me a message if you want a link

Honestly, they could have gone even more bonkers with the panning.

jmtd
12-31-2021, 04:56 AM

Yes it sounds a little different from the rest, for the reasons stated. I find “get down make love” on PHMR more jarring/out of place.

Wulgaren
12-31-2021, 08:41 AM
gonna play hyperpower just before new year so 2022 begins with the beginning of the end ;_;

botley
12-31-2021, 09:54 AM
gonna play hyperpower just before new year so 2022 begins with the beginning of the end ;_;
Start the year off right! Hit play at 11:58:18pm.

cahernandez
12-31-2021, 11:56 AM
we are getting old! I remember when Year Zero came out, 2022 seemed so far away and yet...

Detunez
01-01-2022, 05:10 PM
I find it strangely interesting to notice the ways in which i connect to some of the lyrics in certain NIN songs. As an example i could use "The becoming". It really resonates with me in terms of noticing how much i changed over the years while a small part of the old me is figuratively still there, but it never gets out and keeps on fading... more and more. It's probably one of those cases where the listener will find his or her own meaning behind a song.

allegate
01-02-2022, 07:27 PM
I wonder if there's something coming since we're actually in Year Zero now?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2486/0276/products/YEAR-ZERO-DEFINITIVE-EDITION-2XLP_shadowjc_ef9a5e86-60dd-4c11-8a8d-87b74676486d_600x600_crop_center.png?v=1631726412

I'll take the vinyl but if there's an Atmos mix as well and we can hear The Great Destroyer all around? fuck yeah.

brotha52
01-02-2022, 07:57 PM
I'd really love to figure out a way to get all the ARG content onto flash drives that I'd then leave at geocache spots.
Not entirely sure what that would functionally look like but it'd be fun to do.

gorast
01-03-2022, 10:30 AM
I wonder if there's something coming since we're actually in Year Zero now?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2486/0276/products/YEAR-ZERO-DEFINITIVE-EDITION-2XLP_shadowjc_ef9a5e86-60dd-4c11-8a8d-87b74676486d_600x600_crop_center.png?v=1631726412

I'll take the vinyl but if there's an Atmos mix as well and we can hear The Great Destroyer all around? fuck yeah.

As corny as it might seem, I feel like this is partially why we didn't get any new reissues this year (in addition to the state of vinyl manufacturing, of course). I think the question is, will it be in April, or in the typical fall window?

Of course, maybe we won't get anything at all.

eachpassingphase
01-03-2022, 07:19 PM
As corny as it might seem, I feel like this is partially why we didn't get any new reissues this year (in addition to the state of vinyl manufacturing, of course). I think the question is, will it be in April, or in the typical fall window?

Of course, maybe we won't get anything at all.

I hope so. I have almost-purchased used copies of YZ so many times over the last few years, but kept holding out.