PDA

View Full Version : Random NIN Thoughts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Kamelion
07-13-2015, 11:17 AM
Honestly, I could care less for an official release of past stuff. I just want Trent to focus on the FUTURE of NIN. Not the past.
Ooh, even better!! You mean like a blu ray of next year's NIN tour, like some kind of Year Zero-esque message from the future. That would be amazing.

Wait, was that not what you meant?

:D

nineinchnerd
07-13-2015, 11:49 AM
Ooh, even better!! You mean like a blu ray of next year's NIN tour, like some kind of Year Zero-esque message from the future. That would be amazing.

Wait, was that not what you meant?

I meant focusing on the creation of new music and hopefully a tour with it down the line. I'd rather he put all his energy into that. Simply because I feel NIN is still relevant and the last album opened up a whole new world of possibilities and drew a lot of people's attention -- people who'd previously not really even known of NIN. Seeing how this thing evolves is going to be way more interesting than waiting for DVDs of past stuff, etc.

Harry Seaward
07-13-2015, 08:09 PM
What do your nipples look like?

Ryan
07-13-2015, 09:37 PM
What do your nipples look like?

Hard and pink thanks to tony.parente

nineinchnerd
07-13-2015, 10:40 PM
Wouldn't it be cool if Trent had a major break up with his wife and filed for divorce? It would suck for the kids and the family, but probably would be awesome for the fans. Because you know SINGLE Trent would be tearing the music scene up hard, often and relentlessly.

sheepdean
07-13-2015, 10:53 PM
Wouldn't it be cool if Trent had a major break up with his wife and filed for divorce? It would suck for the kids and the family, but probably would be awesome for the fans. Because you know SINGLE Trent would be tearing the music scene up hard, often and relentlessly.
Wow you're just rolling out the "I'm a cunt" train today

BRoswell
07-13-2015, 11:02 PM

I facepalmed so hard I broke my nose. Better write a song about it.

Dr Channard
07-13-2015, 11:12 PM

No, that wouldn’t be cool.

And if we employ memory, we had "SINGLE Trent" from 89-09. I think the record shows that in his single years he was actually much more hiatus prone from making music than he has been since getting married.

nineinchnerd
07-13-2015, 11:55 PM

And if we employ memory, we had "SINGLE Trent" from 89-09. I think the record shows that in his single years he was actually much more hiatus prone from making music than he has been since getting married.

Lol. Good point.

billpulsipher
07-14-2015, 03:02 AM

"SINGLE" Trent wasn't so single those years...He had Tori Amos and of course that Courtney girl....and apparently he was quite into strippers, especially during his Cleveland era...Howard Stern told the story on how one time he was at a strip club back in the day and at least 4 strippers told him that night they are dating Trent Reznor...our dear boy got around. He just hid it well

Ryan
07-14-2015, 03:07 AM
Epic NIN moment just now: walking home from the station in the dark (only teensy bit of light left) and a street light started flickering like it was about to go out while I had the instrumental version of TDTWWA playing, then it suddenly flicked on. Very artistic moment matching the music.

Khrz
07-14-2015, 03:24 AM
I take it a lot of Skinny Puppy fans aren't exactly loving Trent. Kind of odd.

Not at all, most Skinny Puppy fans consider Nine Inch Nails the same way most of us consider Linkin Park : a commercial, despicable pop compromise and a watered-down, dumbed-down alteration of a style we like to think our band invented. And just like us, they're as goddamn right about that as they are fucking wrong.

Wouldn't it be cool if Trent had a major break up with his wife and filed for divorce? It would suck for the kids and the family, but probably would be awesome for the fans.

I do too wish that the life of the people I respect would turn to total shit. Ah the good old days of Reznor being drunk and shot up out of his gourd on stage, the years of waiting for a sign of life between albums, the pathetic rants on social media... Not to mention that it's such a graceful way to age, just look at Manson : the way he pukes and wheezes during songs really brings an added gravitas to the show...

nineinchnerd
07-14-2015, 03:31 AM
Not at all, most Skinny Puppy fans consider Nine Inch Nails the same way most of us consider Linkin Park : a commercial, despicable pop compromise and a watered-down, dumbed-down alteration of a style we like to think our band invented. And just like us, they're as goddamn right about that as they are fucking wrong.

Umm... no. They're flat out wrong. NIN is not some commercial garbage fake band like Linkin Park. The only reason NIN is popular is because Trent was a pure musician and had a pop background, which made some of his songs somewhat catchy. That's it. Trent is a REAL artist. Period. His popularity has nothing to do with him selling out or not being true to his art. His popularity just came from him being consistently great. Most of these Skinny Puppy people, including the musicians, are embittered by Trent's success. Indeed, a lot of industrial musicians are. Problem is their music appeals to a very small base; whereas Trent's music appeals to a wide audience. Trent has been nothing but an artist and only gained his status because his tastes tend to appeal to a broader crowd.

Khrz
07-14-2015, 04:16 AM
You missed my point while illustrating it : the exact same thing could be said of Linkin Park from a fan's perspective.

NIN has heavily taken clues from SP at the time ; That's a fact. Also a fact, NIN has enjoyed a lot more commercial, widespread success than SP.

From this you can take the SP camp's side of the story and draw the conclusion that NIN has appropriated and altered Industrial in a way that was more commercially viable, incorporating pop/rock structures to a genre that was precisely the opposite of that, somehow bastardizing a genre that was anti-commercial, anti-establishment, and a negation to every popular cultural tropes at its core. From an underdog standpoint, Reznor came and made Industrial its bitch for money.

From a NIN camp, you'd say that the genius of Reznor was his capacity to take cues and structures from a vast array of musical influences and mesh it into a coherent, more accessible new genre.

Both are simply different perspectives on the same history, and none of those are really wrong, since they are just personal interpretations of the same basic facts.

All the rest is just petty feuds between fans and artists, and it's always, always pretty stupid to pick a side.

Most of these Skinny Puppy people, including the musicians, are embittered by Trent's success. Indeed, a lot of industrial musicians are.

At this point you have absolutely no idea what you're saying, and somehow act like Reznor's the only true artist being concerned with his art and what it becomes. Reznor himself tends to look down on bands like KMFDM, and it has nothing to do with the success they might enjoy. He simply thinks it's dumb music.
I'm not going all white knight on Ogre and Key, but I doubt that any outlook they could have on NIN could be summed up by "they're just jealous".

WorzelG
07-14-2015, 05:44 AM
You think they're above jealousy? Personally although I don't massively like Pearl Jam myself, i think a lot of the rather petty missives thrown at Eddie Vedder by Billy Corgan, Kurt Cobain and also Trent are basically rooted in jealousy

Volband
07-14-2015, 06:18 AM
Epic NIN moment just now: walking home from the station in the dark (only teensy bit of light left) and a street light started flickering like it was about to go out while I had the instrumental version of TDTWWA playing, then it suddenly flicked on. Very artistic moment matching the music.
Wait, wait, wait... would you say... the light was... strobing?!

(ehehehehehhehehehe.... *cough*, sorry)

Umm... no. They're flat out wrong. NIN is not some commercial garbage fake band like Linkin Park. The only reason NIN is popular is because Trent was a pure musician and had a pop background, which made some of his songs somewhat catchy. That's it. Trent is a REAL artist. Period. His popularity has nothing to do with him selling out or not being true to his art. His popularity just came from him being consistently great. Most of these Skinny Puppy people, including the musicians, are embittered by Trent's success. Indeed, a lot of industrial musicians are. Problem is their music appeals to a very small base; whereas Trent's music appeals to a wide audience. Trent has been nothing but an artist and only gained his status because his tastes tend to appeal to a broader crowd.
[triggered]

All right dude, tell me how LP is talentless. So funny when people has to talk down on the music he hates. I hate plenty of artists and bands as well, but I'm not saying they are all talentless just because I hate them. You can hate LP, their music, how they are one of - if not THE - commercially most successfull bands in the last 15 years, but saying they are talentless is just ridiculous.

Khrz
07-14-2015, 06:31 AM
You think they're above jealousy? Personally although I don't massively like Pearl Jam myself, i think a lot of the rather petty missives thrown at Eddie Vedder by Billy Corgan, Kurt Cobain and also Trent are basically rooted in jealousy

No, I'm saying that reducing an artist's lookout on another artist's work to "he's just jealous because of monies" when you have don't have all the elements in hand is pretty silly, that's all.
For all I know, maybe Ogre's foaming at the mouth while picturing Reznor sleeping on a bed made of money, but saying that "Lots of industrial musicians [are jealous of Trent's success] is an oversimplification of the situation.

You missed my point while illustrating it : the exact same thing could be said of Linkin Park from a fan's perspective.

You can hate LP, their music, how they are one of - if not THE - commercially most successfull bands in the last 15 years, but saying they are talentless is just ridiculous.

And there, you have it.

Dr Channard
07-14-2015, 08:11 AM
"SINGLE" Trent wasn't so single those years...He had Tori Amos and of course that Courtney girl....and apparently he was quite into strippers, especially during his Cleveland era...Howard Stern told the story on how one time he was at a strip club back in the day and at least 4 strippers told him that night they are dating Trent Reznor...our dear boy got around. He just hid it well

I didn’t realize that his escapades were so legendary! I bet Trent could relate experiences that would make Wilt Chamberlain jealous and cause Hugh Hefner to blush. But I suppose it all makes sense now. Through the 90’s to early 00’s, Trent’s creativity was stifled and he disappeared for long stretches, because he was busy having so many debauched encounters, and was giving away way too much of his man juice, leaving him in a weakened state where he was reduced to essentially an inactive gelatinous blob of flesh that was good for nothing but breathing, drooling and farting. That lucky bastard!

All right dude, tell me how LP is talentless. So funny when people has to talk down on the music he hates. I hate plenty of artists and bands as well, but I'm not saying they are all talentless just because I hate them. You can hate LP, their music, how they are one of - if not THE - commercially most successfull bands in the last 15 years, but saying they are talentless is just ridiculous.

Yes the talent is there, the members are quite able musicians, more than capable of composing and performing respectable music. Unfortunately though, instead of doing that, they do Linkin Park.

(I’m being facetious in my comments here :p)

sheepdean
07-14-2015, 11:31 AM
Introducing a NIN fan to the Broken Movie makes me feel like a drug dealer, they'll like it but you know it's going to fuck them up

billpulsipher
07-14-2015, 01:15 PM
some old interview from 92 used to be on youtube, where Ogre said nice things about the 'happiness in slavery' video....Bill Leeb (who Trent destroyed back in the day) posts NIN vids on fb quite frequently and always says nice things about his music. I think he's even posted HTDA videos....the hostility comes from old school "industrial" fans, those 45 year old rivetheads who still jack off to their nitzer ebb records, who despise NIN with a passion because technically NIN isnt a sacred "industrial" band like a Front 242 or FLA etc...I dont think the other "industrial" musicians have an issue with TR at all (except cev key who hates everyone and apparently is the biggest dick in the business...his own friends have told me that)

and yes for the record, Corgan and Cobains hatred of Vedder was based purely on jealousy.

AMBFCHD
07-14-2015, 02:22 PM
the hostility comes from old school "industrial" fans, those 45 year old rivetheads who still jack off to their nitzer ebb records, who despise NIN with a passion because technically NIN isnt a sacred "industrial" band like a Front 242 or FLA etc...

Shouldn't be fans of TG, SPK, Test Dept., early Neubauten etc. mad at those?...

jessamineny
07-14-2015, 02:28 PM
I meant focusing on the creation of new music and hopefully a tour with it down the line. I'd rather he put all his energy into that. Simply because I feel NIN is still relevant and the last album opened up a whole new world of possibilities and drew a lot of people's attention -- people who'd previously not really even known of NIN. Seeing how this thing evolves is going to be way more interesting than waiting for DVDs of past stuff, etc.

You sound just like ths guy Gandu that we had here a while back

sheepdean
07-14-2015, 03:20 PM
What if this is actually a cover of Just Do It
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuHfVn_cfHU

theruiner
07-14-2015, 03:30 PM
My appreciation of "Right Where It Belongs" has only grown over time. At this point I would say it's in my top 10 favorite NIN songs. It's so beautiful.

Frozen Beach
07-14-2015, 06:45 PM
You know, a lot have people have said that releasing And All That Could Have Been on bluray would be a waste, but I don't think it would. While obviously AATCHB will never look better, it being on bluray would fix a problem that has always annoyed me: it being on two discs. That part where it splits really kills the mood. Plus, they could always throw in some bonus stuff to fill space, like footage from the Fragility special that was on mtv.

BRoswell
07-14-2015, 06:48 PM
Visually it's kind of pointless, but the audio would sound amazing, and they could definitely throw some bonus footage on there.

nineinchnerd
07-14-2015, 06:53 PM

Who isn't into strippers? lol

wizfan
07-14-2015, 06:58 PM
Yeah. I mean, even Metallica's Some Kind of Monster was released on Blu-ray and up-scaled to hell.

In other news, I was fooling around with the multitracks of Adam Freeland's "Morning Sun" and noticed an interesting sample at 0:58:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_dUPXC0pGQ

I'm sure it's from the guitar-synth-whatever breakdown at the end of My Violent Heart. Oh, and the track features additional guitars by Jeordie.

Halo Infinity
07-14-2015, 09:58 PM
There's something relaxing and reassuring about listening to Terrible Lie whenever I'm inundated with confusion and frustration regarding the toxicity of lies, corruption and hypocrisy on all large and small scales. It just calms me down in a very unexpected way that it hasn't before these days.

nineinchnerd
07-14-2015, 10:10 PM
There's something relaxing and reassuring about listening to Terrible Lie whenever I'm inundated with confusion and frustration regarding the toxicity of lies, corruption and hypocrisy on all large and small scales. It just calms me down in a very unexpected way that it hasn't before these days.

Funny, I was playing 'Terrible Lie' in the car today. Very cathartic. Love every minute of that song.

BRoswell
07-15-2015, 02:37 AM
The instrumental version of Where Is Everybody? sped up 35% sounds kind of awesome.

nineinchnerd
07-15-2015, 02:57 AM
Damn, I would've lost my shit if I was in the crowd for this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-LRJA1E0CE

nineinchnerd
07-15-2015, 04:37 AM
Wow the online media is really covering this 'Trent is working on Fight Club Musical' thing. It seems there's several articles about it in the last few hours.

fillow
07-15-2015, 06:03 AM
It seems there's several articles about it in the last few hours.
They're are just a copy of a copy of a...

nineinchnerd
07-15-2015, 06:35 AM
They're are just a copy of a copy of a...

Everything they've said has come before...

Deepvoid
07-15-2015, 02:45 PM
With the solidifying business relationship between Fincher and Reznor, I'm wondering if additional discussions took place to maybe revive the Year Zero mini-series project.
There are other networks besides HBO.
You could pitch it to Netflix for example. They've been putting out amazing series lately.
If Lynch can bring back Twin Peaks, I don't see why Year Zero couldn't be a reality.
They should write and shoot a pilot. Who knows what will happen after that. I'm sure they could actually use a crowdfunding website to finance the pilot. Fincher and Trent have enough fans out there to make it happen.

I apologize in advance for bringing this old subject back on the table (aka Tapeworm Part 2).
The whole concept was so fascinating. It would make for great TV as long as the appropriate people are involved.
Anyhow ..

neorev
07-15-2015, 03:53 PM
With the solidifying business relationship between Fincher and Reznor, I'm wondering if additional discussions took place to maybe revive the Year Zero mini-series project.
There are other networks besides HBO.
You could pitch it to Netflix for example. They've been putting out amazing series lately.
If Lynch can bring back Twin Peaks, I don't see why Year Zero couldn't be a reality.
They should write and shoot a pilot. Who knows what will happen after that. I'm sure they could actually use a crowdfunding website to finance the pilot. Fincher and Trent have enough fans out there to make it happen.

I apologize in advance for bringing this old subject back on the table (aka Tapeworm Part 2).
The whole concept was so fascinating. It would make for great TV as long as the appropriate people are involved.
Anyhow ..

Dan Knauf, the creator/writer of HBO's "Carnivale" was also working on the show with Trent.
I'm friends with Mr. Knauf on Facebook, but he's not allowed to comment on anything that he worked on due to legal crap.
"Carnivale" is one of my favorite shows of all time, so to have him a part of "Year Zero" would have been amazing.
He's been great to us fans about letting us know what was going to happen on "Carnivale" before it got canceled with only 2 out of the planned 6 seasons shown.
Marvel wanted to team up to continue the series as a graphic novel, but the cunts at HBO said "No" and would not give Mr. Knauf any of his rights back to finish it.
So I wouldn't be surprise if HBO has some legal shit keeping "Year Zero" from us.

seasonsinthesky
07-15-2015, 06:22 PM
Dan Knauf, the creator/writer of HBO's "Carnivale" was also working on the show with Trent.
I'm friends with Mr. Knauf on Facebook, but he's not allowed to comment on anything that he worked on due to legal crap.
"Carnivale" is one of my favorite shows of all time, so to have him a part of "Year Zero" would have been amazing.
He's been great to us fans about letting us know what was going to happen on "Carnivale" before it got canceled with only 2 out of the planned 6 seasons shown.
Marvel wanted to team up to continue the series as a graphic novel, but the cunts at HBO said "No" and would not give Mr. Knauf any of his rights back to finish it.
So I wouldn't be surprise if HBO has some legal shit keeping "Year Zero" from us.

I was wondering why the end of that show was so bloody awful.

neorev
07-15-2015, 10:32 PM
I was wondering why the end of that show was so bloody awful.

Yeah, there was still like 15 years that had to be covered until the first bomb was dropped.
Left on such a cliffhanger, but according to Knauf we did see a bit of the ending with what was shown.
Neither main character was dead.
Hawkins would take on a Management type roll while Brother Justin survived with the broken anointed blade still lodged close to his heart leaving him in a weakened state.
Jonesy survives the gunshot and returns to professional baseball, married to Libby.
Time would have passed, the carnival disbanded.
Knauf pretty much explained what the ending would be, but he said it's the journey to that point that is more important.
He said he felt it was like a trilogy of books with each 2 seasons being 1 book.
So the end of Season 2 was the end of Book 1 and Season would introduce us to new characters.

wizfan
07-16-2015, 02:13 PM
What is your favorite, and your least favorite, interview with Trent (text, audio or video)?

nineinchnerd
07-16-2015, 05:25 PM
https://instagram.com/p/5NeJwvBu4a/?taken-by=mariqueenmaandigreznor

It's stuff like this that has rendered so many NIN defectors, most notably Howard Stern. Yoko Ono (pictured here in a Louis Vuitton wetsuit, no less) sure does a fine job of destroying Trent's dark and edgy persona, doesn't she?

WorzelG
07-16-2015, 05:38 PM
^^^i don't think the persona has been dark and edgy since the Downward Spiral personally. I love The Fragile but the persona was insecure, depressed and a bit sad rather than dark and edgy

sheepdean
07-16-2015, 05:46 PM

It's stuff like this that has rendered so many NIN defectors, most notably Howard Stern. Yoko Ono (pictured here in a Louis Vuitton wetsuit, no less) sure does a fine job of destroying Trent's dark and edgy persona, doesn't she?
You know, that's the only autocorrect I miss from the old ets

And today you've chosen to be racist and probably a bit sexist. Tomorrow I'm guessing you're going to go for some broad eugenics ideas.
But seriously, you think Trent was dark and edgy? He literally has a song on TDS where he calls out his high school girlfriend by name ffs.

BRoswell
07-16-2015, 05:48 PM
Yoko Ono (pictured here in a Louis Vuitton wetsuit, no less) sure does a fine job of destroying Trent's dark and edgy persona, doesn't she?

Calling Mariqueen "Yoko Ono" is such a cheap and childish insult. Yeah, like John Lennon was the only fucking musician to collaborate with his wife.

nineinchnerd
07-16-2015, 05:52 PM
You know, that's the only autocorrect I miss from the old ets

And today you've chosen to be racist and probably a bit sexist. Tomorrow I'm guessing you're going to go for some broad eugenics ideas.
But seriously, you think Trent was dark and edgy? He literally has a song on TDS where he calls out his high school girlfriend by name ffs.

Really? What song is that?

nineinchnerd
07-16-2015, 05:54 PM
^^^i don't think the persona has been dark and edgy since the Downward Spiral personally. I love The Fragile but the persona was insecure, depressed and a bit sad rather than dark and edgy

'Insecure, depressed and a bit sad' is now 'Kissing with my girly on the beach in the warm California sunshine!'

BRoswell
07-16-2015, 05:57 PM
So Trent is not allowed to be an actual human being who can experience the entire spectrum of human emotion?

sheepdean
07-16-2015, 06:00 PM
Really? What song is that?
...the becoming. It's a deep cut you probably missed that track

'Insecure, depressed and a bit sad' is now 'Kissing with my girly on the beach in the warm California sunshine!'
You do know that depression isn't something that is cured by a cuddle right? Like, it's a medical condition?

nineinchnerd
07-16-2015, 06:02 PM
...the becoming. It's a deep cut you probably missed that track

You do know that depression isn't something that is cured by a cuddle right? Like, it's a medical condition?

And how do we know 'Annie' is a real person? Michael Jackson used 'Annie' in Smooth Criminal.

emptydesk
07-16-2015, 06:04 PM
Because he said so: http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/manager/display_article.php?id=11

sheepdean
07-16-2015, 06:04 PM
And how do we know 'Annie' is a real person? Michael Jackson used 'Annie' in Smooth Criminal.
http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/manager/display_article.php?id=11

nineinchnerd
07-16-2015, 06:08 PM
Because he said so: http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/manager/display_article.php?id=11

I heard that in the original lyrics it was 'Granny.' But in fear of coming off weird, he changed it to 'Annie.'

sheepdean
07-16-2015, 06:12 PM
I heard that in the original lyrics it was 'Granny.' But in fear of coming off weird, he changed it to 'Annie.'
I heard Trent wrote a song called Angel and there's a Tapeworm track called It All Fades. Not everything you hear is true, and if shit like this comes from the horse's mouth, it's fact.

nineinchnerd
07-16-2015, 06:15 PM
I heard Trent wrote a song called Angel and there's a Tapeworm track called It All Fades. Not everything you hear is true, and if shit like this comes from the horse's mouth, it's fact.

lol. was a joke, dude.

sheepdean
07-16-2015, 06:21 PM
lol. was a joke, dude.
I assumed this entire account was. Martin Atkins, is that you?

jessamineny
07-16-2015, 06:25 PM

Go spead your shit somewhere else, Gandu.

sheepdean
07-16-2015, 10:47 PM
http://store.nin.com/products/ghosts-i-iv-vinyl?variant=2126303553

Ghosts vinyl is in the nin store, only took them 6 years to get it in there.

WorzelG
07-17-2015, 12:19 AM

It's stuff like this that has rendered so many NIN defectors, most notably Howard Stern.
Actually I recall hearing that Howard Stern likes HM

Last post on this reddit discussion says he enjoyed the Jimmy Kimmel performance and new album
http://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/2hnmgm/howard_stern_wearing_a_nin_shirt_i_wonder_if_hes/

BRoswell
07-17-2015, 12:25 AM
Not that Howard Stern has much room to talk. I mean, he WAS a judge on America's Got (No) Talent for a few seasons.

nineinchnerd
07-17-2015, 01:25 AM
Actually I recall hearing that Howard Stern likes HM

Last post on this reddit discussion says he enjoyed the Jimmy Kimmel performance and new album
http://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/2hnmgm/howard_stern_wearing_a_nin_shirt_i_wonder_if_hes/

Are you sure that post is accurate? If there's a video or audio of this, I'd love to hear it. Because the audio of Stern talking about the Kimmel appearance was the very same audio where he bashed Trent, comparing him to Bane and just dissing his overall new look. He kind of half-heartedly agrees with a caller that Trent's talented, but then ends with saying he thinks his career is over.

I think that poster has it wrong. But I'd love if Stern really did enjoy HM, but I'm pretty sure he didn't even listen to it.

P.S. I'll be hunting for this audio and will post it if I can find it.

BRoswell
07-17-2015, 02:02 AM
Trent won an Academy Award and has kept pretty busy. Hesitation Marks was fairly well received, as was the tour that followed. Stern just finished working on a shitty talent show. If anyone's career is over, it's certainly not Trent's.

nineinchnerd
07-17-2015, 02:04 AM
Trent won an Academy Award and has kept pretty busy. Hesitation Marks was fairly well received, as was the tour that followed. Stern just finished working on a shitty talent show. If anyone's career is over, it's certainly not Trent's.

Stern's comments were ridiculous. But if he did like the album after hearing it, at least he came to his senses.

Khrz
07-17-2015, 03:11 AM
Holy shit, this thread... I don't know if I feel annoyed or entertained.
On one hand it's ridiculous, but on the other hand it's really ridiculous.

Halo Infinity
07-17-2015, 09:39 AM
One of the things that I've always loved about Nine Inch Nails is that there always seems to be something new to notice even after years or decades of constant listening. It's also one of the biggest reasons as to why I constantly keep coming back for more and why I sometimes enjoy reading about new discoveries in Nine Inch Nails songs on Echoing the Sound and The Nine Inch Nails Wiki. It's every reason as to why I've been enjoying The Fragile and With Teeth instrumentals a lot, as it gave me yet another reason and way to rediscover both albums. The unreleased tracks just made it even all the better as well.

Kamelion
07-17-2015, 01:19 PM
One of the things that I've always loved about Nine Inch Nails is that there always seems to be something new to notice even after years or decades of constant listening. It's also one of the biggest reasons as to why I constantly keep coming back for more and why I sometimes enjoy reading about new discoveries in Nine Inch Nails songs on Echoing the Sound and The Nine Inch Nails Wiki. It's every reason as to why I've been enjoying The Fragile and With Teeth instrumentals a lot, as it gave me yet another reason and way to rediscover both albums. The unreleased tracks just made it even all the better as well.

Yup - totally. I used to really get into memorising all the lyrics - but recently I stopped doing that because I realised that I loved discovering the lyrics through repeated listens. I don't think I've read the lyrics properly for the last couple albums - constant unveiling of new coolness results :D.

nineinchnerd
07-18-2015, 11:39 PM
I SUURRVVIIIVDED EVERYYTHING!

https://instagram.com/p/5QLLUIBu6W/?taken-by=mariqueenmaandigreznor

Khrz
07-19-2015, 02:07 PM
That's a very nice pic.

nineinchnerd
07-20-2015, 12:24 AM
So now I'm guessing the next album is gonna be either 2017 or 2018. If there even is an album.

sheepdean
07-20-2015, 12:32 AM
So now I'm guessing the next album is gonna be either 2017 or 2018. If there even is an album.
2016 statistically, though hopefully that'll be HTDA. I'd be surprised if it's as long as 2018 unless he announces another hiatus

nooneimportant
07-20-2015, 06:12 AM
Trent Reznor has a dark and edgy persona? I always thought he was a beautiful, delicate flower.

Khrz
07-20-2015, 06:32 AM
With a six inch dick, lest we forget.

blassster
07-20-2015, 08:00 AM
With a six inch dick, lest we forget.
But... but what about his three inch nail?!

Khrz
07-20-2015, 09:00 AM
But... but what about his three inch nail?!

I don't know, I'm not the one who kisses and disses, ask Courtney !

Frolick Shiawase
07-20-2015, 01:09 PM
Trent Reznor has a dark and edgy persona? I always thought he was a beautiful, delicate flower.
I don't know where I got the image, but now it is it's time to shine
.https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/l/t31.0-8/11057220_1429372427392767_4984984287687108061_o.jp g

sweeterthan
07-21-2015, 09:06 AM
What the fuck is happening in this thread?

sheepdean
07-21-2015, 09:17 AM
What the fuck is happening in this thread?
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/256/403/fbb.png

littlemonkey613
07-21-2015, 07:54 PM
Fuck man I really wish Trent didn't drop the ball with Everything.

The chorus is like classic NIN rockin' as fuck... and the outro is stellar as fuck.. and the harmonies in the second verse are ridiculous.

Do people see the error of their ways yet?

neorev
07-21-2015, 11:10 PM
Hey I enjoyed "Everything"
Screw the haters :p

sheepdean
07-21-2015, 11:12 PM
Hey I enjoyed "Everything"
Screw the haters :p
Best song on the album!

Volband
07-22-2015, 01:16 AM
I SUURRVVIIIVDED EVERYYTHING!

https://instagram.com/p/5QLLUIBu6W/?taken-by=mariqueenmaandigreznor
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

2016 statistically, though hopefully that'll be HTDA. I'd be surprised if it's as long as 2018 unless he announces another hiatus
Wait, you'd rather have new HTDA material than NIN? *threatening stance*

sheepdean
07-22-2015, 01:35 AM
Oh totally, HTDA is such a breath of fresh air, and I like Mariqueen's voice more than Trent's lol. Though I'd be happy with either, of course

nineinchnerd
07-22-2015, 01:41 AM
Oh totally, HTDA is such a breath of fresh air, and I like Mariqueen's voice more than Trent's lol. Though I'd be happy with either, of course

I couldn't disagree more. I would really be shocked if we got a HTDA album before a NIN one even though we just got a NIN one. I think NIN is on the menu... I just have a feeling. I think what HTDA initially did was spark Trent's desire to restart NIN. I'd be really really surprised if he went back to HTDA over NIN. Even in the latest interview he said he put NIN on hold to do Apple Music -- not HTDA.

And yeah, HTDA is nowhere near the greatness of NIN. Just my opinion. Something about Mariqueen's voice that just didn't sit well to me.

BRoswell
07-22-2015, 01:47 AM
Something about Mariqueen's voice that just didn't sit well to me.

What, too Yoko Ono for your taste? :p

We had a NIN album and a new score after the last one. It's time for another HTDA release (a single or an EP at the very least).

sheepdean
07-22-2015, 01:52 AM
I couldn't disagree more. I would really be shocked if we got a HTDA album before a NIN one even though we just got a NIN one. I think NIN is on the menu... I just have a feeling. I think what HTDA initially did was spark Trent's desire to restart NIN. I'd be really really surprised if he went back to HTDA over NIN. Even in the latest interview he said he put NIN on hold to do Apple Music -- not HTDA.

And yeah, HTDA is nowhere near the greatness of NIN. Just my opinion. Something about Mariqueen's voice that just didn't sit well to me.
Remember that HTDA isn't Trent's side project, it's a full band. If Trent isn't inspired for HTDA, it doesn't matter as much because MR does the lyrics and TRAR share music duties - he is the only person in charge of NIN, so he can put it on hold, but HTDA is a 4 piece. 5 if you count the wandering minstrel Ally.
And Mariqueen has been hinting since, what, November about something. It might just be the outtakes or whatever are going onto Connect, but it could be something fuller.

nineinchnerd
07-22-2015, 02:03 AM
What, too Yoko Ono for your taste? :p

We had a NIN album and a new score after the last one. It's time for another HTDA release (a single or an EP at the very least).

It doesn't work that way. It works however Trent wants it to. Just because we got a NIN album and a score doesn't mean it's now time for HTDA. I'm not saying it won't be HTDA, but I just have a feeling Trent has been at work on NIN; I mean, he's publicly said he has been in three separate video interviews. Of course we can't take him at his word, but it's better than nothing.

nineinchnerd
07-22-2015, 02:04 AM
Remember that HTDA isn't Trent's side project, it's a full band. If Trent isn't inspired for HTDA, it doesn't matter as much because MR does the lyrics and TRAR share music duties - he is the only person in charge of NIN, so he can put it on hold, but HTDA is a 4 piece. 5 if you count the wandering minstrel Ally.
And Mariqueen has been hinting since, what, November about something. It might just be the outtakes or whatever are going onto Connect, but it could be something fuller.

You never know... But my money is on NIN.

Volband
07-22-2015, 02:04 AM
I couldn't choose between their voice, I could never compare male and female vocals - assuming both are good in their own league. MQ's is soothing, but I really like Trent's voice work as well. He can sound so fucking desperate it chills me to the bone.

My biggest problem with HTDA is that I'd like it to be in the hands of MQ while Trent and the others only assist her. It just sounds way too "NIN-lite with female vox" on many of their songs. I'd like more Fur Lineds for example. Also, I'd like MQ to fully utilize her talents as a singer. Yeah, I really just wished HTDA was more like MQ than Trent, but as promising their initial record was, I was pretty disappointed in Welcome Oblivion. It's just lost its' appeal to me, because even though there are songs there which I really like (especially How Long, which should be the standard for them), it just wasn't as interesting as HTDA (ep). Shoot me in the head but I actually prefer Ladytron's monotone but funky sound and vox, to HTDA's (mostly) monotone sound and vox.

My biggest wish is probably a NIN EP though. I can't see Trent forcing out 10+ tracks again, especially while his creativity is being exhausted by all his other projects. Just make 5 damned good NIN songs and he'd even have time to work on HTDA stuff. Best of both worlds? I think so!

The Slip - Ghosts - LITS tour ?

nineinchnerd
07-22-2015, 02:10 AM
I couldn't choose between their voice, I could never compare male and female vocals - assuming both are good in their own league. MQ's is soothing, but I really like Trent's voice work as well. He can sound so fucking desperate it chills me to the bone.

My biggest problem with HTDA is that I'd like it to be in the hands of MQ while Trent and the others only assist her. It just sounds way too "NIN-lite with female vox" on many of their songs. I'd like more Fur Lineds for example. Also, I'd like MQ to fully utilize her talents as a singer. Yeah, I really just wished HTDA was more like MQ than Trent, but as promising their initial record was, I was pretty disappointed in Welcome Oblivion. It's just lost its' appeal to me, because even though there are songs there which I really like (especially How Long, which should be the standard for them), it just wasn't as interesting as HTDA (ep). Shoot me in the head but I actually prefer Ladytron's monotone but funky sound and vox, to HTDA's (mostly) monotone sound and vox.

My biggest wish is probably a NIN EP though. I can't see Trent forcing out 10+ tracks again, especially while his creativity is being exhausted by all his other projects. Just make 5 damned good NIN songs and he'd even have time to work on HTDA stuff. Best of both worlds? I think so!

Totally agree. I couldn't really get into Welcome Oblivion that much. I gave it a listen and like a couple songs here and there, but I honestly can't remember the last time I listened to it. Never really made an impression. And it did kinda sound NIN-lite with a female vocal. That's a perfect way of putting it.

sheepdean
07-22-2015, 02:12 AM
Totally agree. I couldn't really get into Welcome Oblivion that much. I gave it a listen and like a couple songs here and there, but I honestly can't remember the last time I listened to it. Never really made an impression. And it did kinda sound NIN-lite with a female vocal. That's a perfect way of putting it.
I kinda hope they become a 5-piece and bring on Ally to write more. No one would confuse his music for NIN, and he could maybe tone down Trent's trent-ness, to make it less NIN and more HTDA.

BRoswell
07-22-2015, 02:13 AM

All of which were before HTDA and his score work.

And no shit it's up to Trent what he does next. Nothing is certain though. Me saying "it's time for a HTDA release" doesn't mean I think/know it's going to happen next.

I kinda hope they become a 5-piece and bring on Ally to write more. No one would confuse his music for NIN, and he could maybe tone down Trent's trent-ness, to make it less NIN and more HTDA.

I'd love that. Alessandro seems flexible when it comes to working on stuff like that. Even if he didn't contribute to every track, it would be nice to get him in there to give a different perspective on things.

nineinchnerd
07-22-2015, 02:18 AM

Yeah, but if you toned Trent down and made it less like NIN, what would it be? SONOIO with a female vocal????? lol. Either way, I think the end result wouldn't be any more interesting.

BRoswell
07-22-2015, 02:20 AM
SONOIO with a female vocal?????

You say that like it's a bad thing.

sheepdean
07-22-2015, 02:21 AM
Yeah, but if you toned Trent down and made it less like NIN, what would it be? SONOIO with a female vocal????? lol. Either way, I think the end result wouldn't be any more interesting.
Trent, Atticus, Ally and Mariqueen all writing music would sound a lot less like NIN than Trent, Atticus and Mariqueen. Don't forget Atticus was co-writing music for a female fronted band over a decade ago with 12 Rounds, and Ally's music is FAR broader than just his work on Sonoio.

If you don't like MR's vocals, well, you won't like any HTDA aside from instrumentals probably, but some more musical exploration would be awesome. NIN with female vocals is not what I want, I want Mariqueen's vocals with interesting music.

Volband
07-22-2015, 02:27 AM
Just be more experimenting goddammit. Welcome Oblivion sounds soooooooooo damn safe it's painful. There's a female singer who could rock it out if she wanted to, and Trent who is well versed in all kinds of genres (he did YZ for fuck's sake!), so it is definitely not the final product one would expect.

NIN with female vocals is not what I want, I want Mariqueen's vocals with interesting music.
Now hold on for a moment...

(agree with MQ+interesting music, it's what I've been saying as well)

nineinchnerd
07-22-2015, 02:31 AM
Trent, Atticus, Ally and Mariqueen all writing music would sound a lot less like NIN than Trent, Atticus and Mariqueen. Don't forget Atticus was co-writing music for a female fronted band over a decade ago with 12 Rounds, and Ally's music is FAR broader than just his work on Sonoio.

If you don't like MR's vocals, well, you won't like any HTDA aside from instrumentals probably, but some more musical exploration would be awesome. NIN with female vocals is not what I want, I want Mariqueen's vocals with interesting music.

I don't know. The reason why the pairing of Trent and Karen O worked so well in the Immigrant Song cover was because Karen's vocals worked so well with Trent's instrumentals. Karen has this beautiful voice but it's also rough around the edges. Mariqueen's voice is almost too clean and it comes off as sterile. It really doesn't go well with the harsh/dark instrumentals of Trent and his team; at least for me, it sounds pretty disjointed and odd.

Volband
07-22-2015, 02:33 AM
I don't know. The reason why the pairing of Trent and Karen O worked so well in the Immigrant Song cover was because Karen's vocals worked so well with Trent's instrumentals. Karen has this beautiful voice but it's also rough around the edges. Mariqueen's voice is almost too clean and it comes off as sterile. It really doesn't go well with the harsh/dark instrumentals of Trent and his team; at least for me, it sounds pretty disjointed and odd.
Agree with the Immigrant Song.

Have no problem at all with mixing black and white though. If it's done well, it can be really interesting.

sheepdean
07-22-2015, 02:37 AM
Trent and Atticus* instrumentals

And perhaps the juxtaposition of sterile and distorted was the exact thing they wanted?

sick among the pure
07-22-2015, 07:39 AM
Since this has kinda turned into random HTDA thoughts, I'll throw in my $0.02 real quick. I thought Q's vocals were better live than on the album because she seemed to put more power behind them. As much as I do enjoy HTDA, and the show I went to was great (partially because of the added strength to her vocals), I'm not a fan of the whisper-singing. Then again, I just had surgery and I'm on some pretty heavy pain meds, so maybe I'm just rambling.

seasonsinthesky
07-22-2015, 07:46 AM
Trent who is well versed in all kinds of genres (he did YZ for fuck's sake!)

You're certainly right about TR's ability with other genres, but I find it hilarious that you cited one of the most monotonous albums, stylewise, in the NIN catalog. Every song is the same exact aesthetic except AVOTT, and these are facets already heavily explored on previous NIN records (except a lot of the beats were made on a laptop on tour). If you're gonna cite a NIN record exemplifying TR's experience with many genres, you should go with TF or Ghosts.

Khrz
07-22-2015, 07:52 AM
You're certainly right about TR's ability with other genres, but I find it hilarious that you cited one of the most monotonous albums, stylewise, in the NIN catalog.
@Volband (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3656) obviously compared YZ to the rest of the catalogue, not as an album itself.

And I think the disengaged singing of Mariqueen combined with the grim music of HTDA worked wonders. It was actually, in my opinion, the only way to treat it. You didn't want anger, or revolt, you needed that "well, quite predictably this is all fucked up to hell, no surprise here" vibe.

Also, you guys keep throwing the "NIN lite" line about HTDA, but that's only because Reznor's involved, you're aware of that I'm sure. If Reznor gave a hand at SONOIO, you would say the exact same thing, even if the music was exactly the same as what Ally's doing by himself. Hell, everyone treated Williams' TRAFONT as if Reznor did all the work when in fact he only worked on half the tracks and gave a hand at producing it...
Every time Reznor's giving a hand everyone acts like he's the real artist behind it and should get full credit.
I'm kinda glad he didn't work on ...Like Clockwork, at least Homme and the guys get proper credit for their album, rather than seeing a bunch of NIN fans going "Well obviously it was great, Reznor made that shit !"

Volband
07-22-2015, 08:09 AM
You're certainly right about TR's ability with other genres, but I find it hilarious that you cited one of the most monotonous albums, stylewise, in the NIN catalog. Every song is the same exact aesthetic except AVOTT, and these are facets already heavily explored on previous NIN records (except a lot of the beats were made on a laptop on tour). If you're gonna cite a NIN record exemplifying TR's experience with many genres, you should go with TF or Ghosts.
If you played every NIN album for someone who never heard them before, then asked them which album did they find to be the odd one out, they would most probably either say PHM or YZ. The other albums (PHM as the exception) are basic instruments (or some form of them, i.e. different type of guitars, "organic" instruments) supported by synths and other electronical stuff or samples, while YZ is like the exact opposite of it, where almost every song is led by something electronic. Yeah, for example he did Closer and THTF before, which were programming-heavy songs, but releasing a full album like that is certainly not boring.

I mean, you can find the album boring and monotone, but the album was far from safe. Vessel; Me, I'm Not or The Great Destroyer are waaaay more different and extreme than the programming on Heresy or The Becoming for example. Also, I mentioned YZ because it - to me at least - shows that a HTDA record could be so much more than 1. minimalistic programming a'la HM + 2. Ghosts + 3. restrained vocals. It could have heavy, or at least experimentous electronics like on YZ. I like what they did for Parasite for example, and tbh, I dig almost the entire HTDA EP, it's quite versatile while still maintaining some kind of integrity. And even though MQ's vocals are heavily filtered on Fur Lined, it's crazy good when she starts shouting(/screaming?). It really just makes me want to hold on to my headphones dancing, while singing with her, instead of falling asleep, or feeling I'm listening to some kind of 21st century classic music, which might be beautiful, but Jesus, I know these guys could rock my pants so hard, but instead I get a dozen songs like they deliberately tried to sound as minimalistic in every way possible. I mean, it might've been deliberate, but it doesn't make me like the idea.

screwdriver
07-22-2015, 09:28 AM
If you played every NIN album for someone who never heard them before, then asked them which album did they find to be the odd one out, they would most probably either say PHM or YZ. The other albums (PHM as the exception) are basic instruments (or some form of them, i.e. different type of guitars, "organic" instruments) supported by synths and other electronical stuff or samples, while YZ is like the exact opposite of it, where almost every song is led by something electronic. Yeah, for example he did Closer and THTF before, which were programming-heavy songs, but releasing a full album like that is certainly not boring.

I mean, you can find the album boring and monotone, but the album was far from safe. Vessel; Me, I'm Not or The Great Destroyer are waaaay more different and extreme than the programming on Heresy or The Becoming for example. Also, I mentioned YZ because it - to me at least - shows that a HTDA record could be so much more than 1. minimalistic programming a'la HM + 2. Ghosts + 3. restrained vocals. It could have heavy, or at least experimentous electronics like on YZ. I like what they did for Parasite for example, and tbh, I dig almost the entire HTDA EP, it's quite versatile while still maintaining some kind of integrity. And even though MQ's vocals are heavily filtered on Fur Lined, it's crazy good when she starts shouting(/screaming?). It really just makes me want to hold on to my headphones dancing, while singing with her, instead of falling asleep, or feeling I'm listening to some kind of 21st century classic music, which might be beautiful, but Jesus, I know these guys could rock my pants so hard, but instead I get a dozen songs like they deliberately tried to sound as minimalistic in every way possible. I mean, it might've been deliberate, but it doesn't make me like the idea.

I kind of don't know what you're talking about, to be honest. Every NIN album has been "programming-heavy." All of that "organic" sound you talk about was all manipulated samples, i.e., programmed.

I'm interested in "extreme programming" though!

seasonsinthesky
07-22-2015, 09:58 AM
I kind of don't know what you're talking about, to be honest. Every NIN album has been "programming-heavy." All of that "organic" sound you talk about was all manipulated samples, i.e., programmed.

I'm interested in "extreme programming" though!

Exactly. There's nothing on YZ not already done on "Ruiner," "I Do Not Want This," "Where is Everybody?," "Underneath It All," etc. I assume a different methodology created it but the aesthetic is constant.

I'm not actually knocking YZ – besides nearly every song opening with the same arrangement – but making the case for its poor use as an example of TR engaging different genres. It uses new tools to do a couple of facets included in most songs on previous records.

Volband
07-22-2015, 10:31 AM
All right people, if you think Year Zero was not an experimentation in even NIN standards, then I really can't say much. I pop in I Do Not Want This. Then I pop in Vessel. Then I read that you guys are saying these songs are basically the same, nothing new. I mean... no?

screwdriver
07-22-2015, 10:43 AM
All right people, if you think Year Zero was not an experimentation in even NIN standards, then I really can't say much. I pop in I Do Not Want This. Then I pop in Vessel. Then I read that you guys are saying these songs are basically the same, nothing new. I mean... no?

did I say that?

YZ was an experiment in laptop beats. It was fine. It's not really my cup of tea but I get what he was trying to do.

Volband
07-22-2015, 10:57 AM
did I say that?

YZ was an experiment in laptop beats. It was fine. It's not really my cup of tea but I get what he was trying to do.
But why can't we settle on that it was pretty much a "wow" even in NIN terms.

Anyway, to make my point simpler: if someone is willing to make a song like The Great Destroyer, I'd expect more than what we can hear on Welcome Oblivion.

BenAkenobi
07-22-2015, 11:18 AM
... If you're gonna cite a NIN record exemplifying TR's experience with many genres, you should go with TF or Ghosts.

...or The inevitable rise and liberation of Niggy Tardust! ;)

BRoswell
07-22-2015, 11:47 AM
Anyway, to make my point simpler: if someone is willing to make a song like The Great Destroyer, I'd expect more than what we can hear on Welcome Oblivion.

I'm a fan of Year Zero, but I think a song like Ice Age is more daring than The Great Destroyer.

seasonsinthesky
07-22-2015, 12:12 PM

The way the last half of V manipulates the beat and synths, yes, that's the entire bridge of IDNWT. Like a solid minute of that song is the blueprint for most of YZ, except it was done with different methods. And HIS. And then that evolved into a constant, so you get songs like TFOUAD and DS from The Slip looking right back at the middle of IDNWT, saying, "yep, still fun!"

I think it's pretty willing ignorance to say YZ sticks out in the same way PHM does. Even then, the only reason PHM sticks out is because of how dated it sounds; most of the arranging quirks and the ways the melodies work are still the same today. Do you not hear "Closer" in ATL? Hell, do you not hear "Closer" in "Vessel?" It's the same guy with some different software and different additional personnel. That's every NIN album. Saying you don't hear IDNWT in V is objectively silly.

screwdriver
07-22-2015, 12:36 PM
But why can't we settle on that it was pretty much a "wow" even in NIN terms.

????????????????????????????????????????

I personally found the songwriting on YZ to be less than inspiring. if the songwriting was more intricate, maybe I would be more invested in the production. I still don't understand what you're saying.

Volband
07-22-2015, 12:45 PM
Closer-ATL is easy, Closer-Vessel... not so sure. Yes, it's not hard to imagine that the same guy did both of these, especially if you consider the lyrics as well, but no, I don't find them THAT similar. And YZ is an interesting album - for me, at least - because you might be right that some songs' foundation is based on older material, but they are largely dominated by these electronics, and not supporting the song unlike in previous or even later records.

Maybe it's not as shocking, because Trent is who he is; if he releases a new NIN album with 8 tracks having banjos featured on them, we'd just go "meh, all right, I guess now we have this as well", but overall the record feels fresh... to me.

As for Ice Age... is it, really? I guess the song itself a journey, but it does not wander far at all from what we can hear on that album. I don't even see how it could be perceived as a potential failure, as it doesn't do anything daring in my eyes - or ears, to be more precise. On the other hand, when you sit down in your TDS shirt to listen to this song called The Great Destroyer, and Trent just goes crazy, it's not hard to imagine people flipping out saying "what the FUCK is this?!".

Volband
07-22-2015, 12:50 PM
????????????????????????????????????????

I personally found the songwriting on YZ to be less than inspiring. if the songwriting was more intricate, maybe I would be more invested in the production. I still don't understand what you're saying.
Definitely not among the most complex NIN materials, I mean all we have to say is The Fragile, and hello, argument closed. It's just more risky to me, especially with your legacy if you are Trent aka NIN. Why are you so sure that the people who digged HLAH, TDTWWA andand let's say Love Is Not Enough will totally go crazy for Me, I'm Not or TGD. And if in your eyes YZ doesn't sound fresh at all, then how does Welcome Oblivion? I wouldn't even compare the two albums, when the HTDA ep kicks WO's butt big time. The beautiful Drowning, the funky and vocally oh so much more interesting (than anything on WO) Fur Lined, or that thing in Parasite which makes you say "wow, I don't know what am I listening to, but it sounds dope as F!!"

BRoswell
07-22-2015, 01:02 PM
As for Ice Age... is it, really?

A couple tracks aside (mostly instrumentals), Trent has rarely done something so sparse. Seriously, break that song down to its main components: Mariqueen's vocals, the folksy string plucks, and a dash of noisy atmospherics. That's it. I love The Great Destroyer, but that's the sound I typically expect from Trent. That doesn't make it bad, but it certainly doesn't make it daring.

nineinchnerd
07-22-2015, 04:59 PM
Mariqueen is in Hawaii. I doubt we're getting HTDA any time soon. And I'm not complaining. Take as long a vacation as you want, Mariqueen. In fact, stay in Hawaii forever if you can. : )

eversonpoe
07-22-2015, 05:13 PM
Mariqueen is in Hawaii. I doubt we're getting HTDA any time soon. And I'm not complaining. Take as long a vacation as you want, Mariqueen. In fact, stay in Hawaii forever if you can. : )

do you really not realize how consistently sexist and offensive you sound?

BRoswell
07-22-2015, 05:40 PM
Take as long a vacation as you want...

That goes double for you.

Khrz
07-22-2015, 05:44 PM

He does, but to be fair it's probably that we have just too many bad memories of people bringing up Mariqueen like she's "that bitch that stole Trent's balls". I think nineinchnerd just doesn't want her to distract his Trent from doing what he wants him to do, which is moar NIN.
Which is, you know, tough shit, because Reznor just pretty much does whatever he wants, and he'll fly the whole studio to Hawaii if he feels like giving HTDA another round right fucking now.

implanted_microchip
07-22-2015, 05:56 PM
he'll fly the whole studio to Hawaii if he feels like giving HTDA another round right fucking now.

He should just pull a Kanye, go into self-imposed exile in Hawaii with everyone and make one of the greatest albums of the decade

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Beautiful_Dark_Twisted_Fantasy

sheepdean
07-22-2015, 06:09 PM
He should just pull a Kanye, go into self-imposed exile in Hawaii with everyone and make one of the greatest albums of the decade

Or maybe they're scoring a live action Lilo and Stitch remake

fuck you I can dream

implanted_microchip
07-22-2015, 06:14 PM

fuck you I can dream

You know if Fincher did it he'd sign right the fuck on

eversonpoe
07-22-2015, 06:21 PM

fuck you I can dream

"ohana" means FIST FUCK

pigpen
07-22-2015, 06:52 PM
So, I was thinking about TR's output pre and post TF..
Obviously there's a tortured, violent, and chaotic element to the 90's records that has remained unmatched in the 2000's.
There's a guy by the name of Pat The Bunny, who is pretty popular in the folk-punk scene who used to put out records under the name Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains.
He'd sing songs of being an alcoholic/heroin addict and all of the things that go along with that.. Then he got clean, and now refuses to play those old songs, even though
they are arguably his best, but to play them, to him, is just dishonest and he's beyond that at this point...

The career of TR has ridden the same line, and in that, I kind of found a new appreciation for the post "throws of addiction" records he's released.

..I don't know, it's random but having read a bit about PTB, I found the parallels interesting.

blassster
07-22-2015, 11:14 PM
Was lying in bed staring at the ceiling, then an idea popped into my head and I cackled: I might make a t-shirt out of this for myself on redbubble.com. Not for sale, but just for me. I don't know where the original image I shopped is from. I don't care if people IRL don't understand.

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/355-The-Trent-and-NIN-Photoshop-Thread?p=108764#post108764

nineinchnerd
07-23-2015, 12:45 AM

Speaking of Kanye (who dropped his last album around the same time Trent dropped HM), he's premiering a new music video this weekend, ahead of his latest album release. No exiles for him this season.

http://www.latinospost.com/articles/67435/20150722/kanye-west-hot-swish-album-release-2015-rapper-premiere-brand.htm

Frozen Beach
07-23-2015, 06:42 AM
Hopefully when the current iteration of Swans is done, Trent will invite Thor Harris to join the NIN live band for whatever tour might be happening at that time.

Volband
07-23-2015, 08:52 AM
Don't know about his other replies, but how is it sexist that he hates someone, even if with a passion?

Oh boy, the album where I had to realize that not only Nicki Minaj is capable of proper rapping, she's actually quite fucking good at it.

So, I was thinking about TR's output pre and post TF..
Obviously there's a tortured, violent, and chaotic element to the 90's records that has remained unmatched in the 2000's.
There's a guy by the name of Pat The Bunny, who is pretty popular in the folk-punk scene who used to put out records under the name Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains.
He'd sing songs of being an alcoholic/heroin addict and all of the things that go along with that.. Then he got clean, and now refuses to play those old songs, even though
they are arguably his best, but to play them, to him, is just dishonest and he's beyond that at this point...

The career of TR has ridden the same line, and in that, I kind of found a new appreciation for the post "throws of addiction" records he's released.

..I don't know, it's random but having read a bit about PTB, I found the parallels interesting.
There's a somewhat popular Hungarian singer, who became famous as a rebellious alternate rock star, and his persona pretty much revolved around drugs, alcohol and women. Then he found money, erm, sorry, God, got clean, and now he sings about Jesus and other major bullshit for the christian sheeps. Yeah, I don't like that hypocrite, as you might already figured that out ,haha.

Honestly, I can't look at people like him or even that guy you talked about as some kind of warriors who are doing the right thing. Your past is always a part of you, like it or not - pretending it never existed is not brave, but cowardly and you are just deceiving yourself. Trent is not The Wretched anymore, he is not Hurt, he doesn't want to fuck someone as an animal without any emotion, and so on, but aside from these songs being good, they are also a part of him. Yeah, he is in a spot right now where every single one of us would trade place with him, even without the dollar millions, but he is putting a performance, a show out for us during the concerts, and I'm fairly sure the vast majority of concert goers want to shout their lungs out to songs which are about Trent's past persona, and not listen to "if you're happy and you know it..."

Dr Channard
07-23-2015, 09:10 AM
I honestly think that some of those older angry shouting songs Trent doesn’t perform that much anymore, because he simply doesn’t have the voice for them night after night. Not necessarily because he feels disconnected from them or anything. In the studio he can still squeeze out some good shouts (we heard a few on HM), but as a touring force I think he’s more effective as a crooner these days while his backup vocalist hit the guttural shouts. I think he could still make a studio album of angry shouting and screaming, but he wouldn’t be able to support it with an extensive live tour.

Volband
07-23-2015, 09:30 AM
I honestly think that some of those older angry shouting songs Trent doesn’t perform that much anymore, because he simply doesn’t have the voice for them night after night. Not necessarily because he feels disconnected from them or anything. In the studio he can still squeeze out some good shouts (we heard a few on HM), but as a touring force I think he’s more effective as a crooner these days while his backup vocalist hit the guttural shouts. I think he could still make a studio album of angry shouting and screaming, but he wouldn’t be able to support it with an extensive live tour.
Ha waited like 10 years to sing Last. WITT is basically a white raven, and hasn't even been played on either Fragility tours despite being a single and among the few songs which had a released music video. Sunspots has never been, and mst probably never will be played live, and we can hear on the With Teeth rehearsals that Trent is having a very hard time singing it.

My point is, it's not just decade old songs he can't quite pull off. WITT and Sunspots both have parts where he actually has to SING sing, not just talk/shout/scream on a rhyme.

edit: fuck me, I meant he probably did not like his live performance on those songs when they were just freshly released.

Dr Channard
07-23-2015, 10:16 AM
Ha waited like 10 years to sing Last. WITT is basically a white raven, and hasn't even been played on either Fragility tours despite being a single and among the few songs which had a released music video. Sunspots has never been, and mst probably never will be played live, and we can hear on the With Teeth rehearsals that Trent is having a very hard time singing it.

My point is, it's not just decade old songs he can't quite pull off. WITT and Sunspots both have parts where he actually has to SING sing, not just talk/shout/scream on a rhyme.

Exactly. And to some degree I think that is why HM comes across as a “softer” album. I think Trent made the conscious decision to make an album full of material that he could use night after night that wouldn’t obliterate his vocals. Not everyone has it like Chris Cornell, who I think has some kind of a vocal temporal inhibitor chip keeping his voice intact. But even on the HM tours, songs like CBH you could tell were at times taxing Trent’s voice. HTF is another one that pushes him. He never even attempted Everything live. But as time goes on, if he keeps making albums and touring as nin, I think his own abilities will push him further away from old nin and more into radiohead territory, which HM felt like it skirted on at times.

nineinchnerd
07-23-2015, 05:32 PM
Exactly. And to some degree I think that is why HM comes across as a “softer” album. I think Trent made the conscious decision to make an album full of material that he could use night after night that wouldn’t obliterate his vocals. Not everyone has it like Chris Cornell, who I think has some kind of a vocal temporal inhibitor chip keeping his voice intact. But even on the HM tours, songs like CBH you could tell were at times taxing Trent’s voice. HTF is another one that pushes him. He never even attempted Everything live. But as time goes on, if he keeps making albums and touring as nin, I think his own abilities will push him further away from old nin and more into radiohead territory, which HM felt like it skirted on at times.

Saying he made HM a "soft" album so he wouldn't hurt his vocals is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. There are more than a few tracks where he's screaming his lungs out. And it's not a "soft" album -- whatever the heck that means -- by any stretch of the imagination.

implanted_microchip
07-23-2015, 05:45 PM
Saying he made HM a "soft" album so he wouldn't hurt his vocals is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. There are more than a few tracks where he's screaming his lungs out. And it's not a "soft" album -- whatever the heck that means -- by any stretch of the imagination.

Soft might be a bad word to use in a general music sense but as far as NIN albums go, it's definitely soft compared to The Downward Spiral or Broken. Soft isn't necessarily an insult either considering Still is the softest thing Trent's ever made and it's widely heralded as one of the finest things he's ever released. In context of the rest of NIN's discography it's certainly a softer sounding record. Disappointed, All Time Low, Various Methods of Escape, While I'm Still Here, Satellite, Running, none of them are particularly heavy or loud, a lot of the album trades industrial noise for groove-based rhythms (which I love). In Two is as hard as it gets, compared to The Slip which had 1,000,000 and Letting You or Year Zero with Meet Your Master or With Teeth with Getting Smaller and You Know What You Are?.

I'm not OP but I just don't see it as a criticism or insult at all. Trent has definitely adjusted his vocal style over the years in studio and live. Most of the louder vocals on HM are still very baritone, very deep-voiced singing without going up in pitch and volume. He has a way more naturally throaty, deep-sounding voice now than when he was younger and he definitely plays into that and uses it to his advantage.

EndlessLoveless
07-23-2015, 05:58 PM

In what song does he scream his lungs out? I agree with you though, that the album wasnt made a certain way to be easier for him. But i dont recall any "scream your lungs out" moments. There is some yelling though, if that counts. But no throat shredding vocals like WITT or TDS (song).

Now im going through every song on HM in my head at double tempo trying to think about this.... I always wished in "i would for you" that he wouldve during the 'i only have myself to blame' part.

nineinchnerd
07-23-2015, 07:03 PM
In what song does he scream his lungs out? I agree with you though, that the album wasnt made a certain way to be easier for him. But i dont recall any "scream your lungs out" moments. There is some yelling though, if that counts. But no throat shredding vocals like WITT or TDS (song).

Now im going through every song on HM in my head at double tempo trying to think about this.... I always wished in "i would for you" that he wouldve during the 'i only have myself to blame' part.

How about 'Came Back Haunted' and 'Everything' for starters? There's some primal vocal delivery in those songs alone.

Khrz
07-23-2015, 07:12 PM
How about 'Came Back Haunted' and 'Everything' for starters? There's some primal vocal delivery in those songs alone.

Honestly, those are really tame in comparison to We're In This Together, Last, or even The Line Begins To Blur... There's loud singing on HM, but nothing close to screaming...

Krazy
07-23-2015, 07:28 PM
TR on HM's vocal delivery...

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/07/28/arts/music/nine-inch-nails-is-back-onstage-with-a-vengeance.html?referrer=&_r=0

And in the context of the Nine Inch Nails catalog, where a whisper tends to lead, sooner or later, to a scream, Mr. Reznor found himself following other impulses. “It didn’t dawn on me until I was almost done with the record that I don’t really even raise my voice on this album that much,” Mr. Reznor added. “The mechanism of screaming choruses doesn’t exist here. And that wasn’t by design.”

nineinchnerd
07-23-2015, 09:53 PM
Honestly, those are really tame in comparison to We're In This Together, Last, or even The Line Begins To Blur... There's loud singing on HM, but nothing close to screaming...

One man's scream is another man's whisper. If Trent came to my bedside and sang 'Came Back Haunted' or 'Everything' I wouldn't consider it him whispering me to sleep. I'd consider it him screaming me awake.

Dr Channard
07-23-2015, 09:55 PM
Saying he made HM a "soft" album so he wouldn't hurt his vocals is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Fair enough. I could be wrong about the “conscious decision” part, as what Krazy posted would indicate. So I instead now propose that he subconsciously decided it.

But I still believe Trent at 50 doesn’t have the pipes he once did. That’s not meant to be a jab at him. Listen to some of the more recent recordings available on RITC, you can tell on some songs he just doesn’t or can’t repetitively push his voice like he once could.

There are more than a few tracks where he's screaming his lungs out.

Yes, as I said just a few lines up, “In the studio he can still squeeze out some good shouts (we heard a few on HM).” But there is a difference between doing that at his leisure in the studio over the course of a year while making the album, and repeating it for a whole show over and over, night in and out, for months while touring.

And it's not a "soft" album -- whatever the heck that means -- by any stretch of the imagination.

Let me help clarify here, “softer” is what I said, not “soft.” Softer, indicating I’m comparatively speaking, comparatively against Trent’s own vocals in his back catalogue. That’s what that means. HM at it’s core isn’t musically driven by the roar of machines nor is it a vocal assault on the listener, kleiner352 summed it up well.

…Disappointed, All Time Low, Various Methods of Escape, While I'm Still Here, Satellite, Running, none of them are particularly heavy or loud, a lot of the album trades industrial noise for groove-based rhythms…

Volband
07-23-2015, 10:01 PM
Everything is not a heavy song, but by far the hardest* song to sing from HM, and we all know what is the only unplayed song from that album...

*Well, to be honest, I'm not sure how hard is it to do a falsetto like on VMOE, but as I try to do that, then properly sing Everything in my head, the former sounds way less humiliating :D

Khrz
07-24-2015, 04:55 AM
One man's scream is another man's whisper.

Ahah no. I mean, I'm a fan of silly hyperbolic comparisons just like any other, but we weren't comparing "Came Back Haunted" to "absolute silence", we were saying that relatively to songs he used to sing ten years ago, HM had quieter delivery. That's a fact, there's nothing wrong about that, Reznor just didn't go "Eraser" on us this time around...

sheepdean
07-24-2015, 05:06 AM
Ahah no. I mean, I'm a fan of silly hyperbolic comparisons just like any other, but we weren't comparing "Came Back Haunted" to "absolute silence", we were saying that relatively to songs be used to sing ten years ago, HM had quieter delivery. That's a fact, there's nothing wrong about that, Reznor just didn't go "Eraser" on us this time around...
I think 3 decades of singing live has taught Trent that the less screaming he does on the record, the less screaming he has to do in concert :P

Khrz
07-24-2015, 05:25 AM
I think 3 decades of singing live has taught Trent that the less screaming he does on the record, the less screaming he has to do in concert :P

And that's a smart move, assuming it's a conscious one (although evidence implies that it wasn't).
The guy tours for a year, there's no point in making an awesomely eardrums-tearing chorus if you only sing it for a month until your vocal chords go "fuck yourself" and give up...

WorzelG
07-24-2015, 05:47 AM
This begs the question that if your latest album is easier on the voice live, why only really play it in almost entirety for one leg of the tour and then just 4 tracks from it for the other legs (and these four tracks include cbh and disappointed, arguably 2 of the most vocally taxing)

BenAkenobi
07-24-2015, 08:13 AM
Also, if voice is an issue, why not use more FX here and there? I'm not saying i want all robo-reznor, but i honestly enjoy Autolux remix of Everything :)

fillow
07-24-2015, 08:17 AM
I surviiIIIIIIiIiiIiIIIIIoOOOOoooooaaaeeeeeed

Khrz
07-24-2015, 08:51 AM
I honestly enjoy Autolux remix of Everything :)

One of the bravest posts I've ever seen on the board. Hat's off to you, Mr Massiveballs Von Gigabollocks.

eversonpoe
07-24-2015, 09:09 AM
was gonna put this in NIN spotting but i figured it'd be a faux pas

yesterday, i ate breakfast at a local restaurant i go to pretty often, and as i was leaving, a guy walked in who was the spitting image of perfect drug-era trent. i wanted to get a picture but thought it would be a bit creepy.

Dr Channard
07-24-2015, 09:20 AM
This begs the question that if your latest album is easier on the voice live, why only really play it in almost entirety for one leg of the tour and then just 4 tracks from it for the other legs (and these four tracks include cbh and disappointed, arguably 2 of the most vocally taxing)

The Twenty Thirteen tour (first leg) began and ended prior to the official release of HM. Twenty Thirteen struck me as a “We’re back from hiatus, this is the new lineup, and we’re teasing a new album soon to be released” kind of tour.

The Tension 2013 tour (second leg) which was the biggest leg felt more like the main course in support of HM following its release.

The tours that came in 2014 had less focus on HM, I’m not sure why. I know production changed, and the line-up was scaled back. But only Trent could answer why the changes.

When they were touring for HM, I personally thought it would have been cool for them to bookend the entire album each show, and then follow with a mixed encore of some nin classics.

tony.parente
07-24-2015, 09:21 AM
was gonna put this in NIN spotting but i figured it'd be a faux pas

yesterday, i ate breakfast at a local restaurant i go to pretty often, and as i was leaving, a guy walked in who was the spitting image of perfect drug-era trent. i wanted to get a picture but thought it would be a bit creepy.

Just pretend you were drunk. I had a dude drunk off his ass at an awolnation concert last week ask me wtf my "n" shirt was, I told him then he asked me to take a selfie with him. Before he left he told me do do coke in the bathroom and have a "pleasant evening"

Made my day!

implanted_microchip
07-24-2015, 11:50 AM
When they were touring for HM, I personally thought it would have been cool for them to bookend the entire album each show, and then follow with a mixed encore of some nin classics.

I would love for that kind of thing but sadly it never seems to go over that well; Smashing Pumpkins did it with Oceania, an album that was critically loved and seen as a really fantastic SP album, and Billy Corgan's pointed out a lot that it's something he'll never consider again because so many people would leave and just fill back in for the hits at the end and in general the crowd showed a strong disinterest in hearing new material showcased.

It's hard to realize sometimes when we're insulted in the fanbase bubbles we are all in but those of us who want a ton of variety and different setlists and new songs are really the minority, Head Like a Hole and Hand That Feeds will always get a bigger reaction at an arena-level than any of the deeper cuts Trent might pull out (which is why they should do more club tours considering that's when they can play anything and get a few thousand hardcore fans chanting it).

seasonsinthesky
07-24-2015, 12:21 PM
I would love for that kind of thing but sadly it never seems to go over that well

Just depends on the audience, though. Ulver toured extensively playing solely new, unheard material several times. But Ulver's audience expects something unconventional – it was actually quite weird when their first tour after a 15 year performance hiatus actually included material people knew.

With a hugely successful band with strings of huge hits, the audience expectation is entirely different. NIN and Ulver aren't particularly different in the sense that their fanbase "expects the unexpected," but there is a wide gulf between them because of how successful NIN was with radio and MTV.

_T_B_W_
07-24-2015, 12:27 PM
Man I'd love if he played Theme For Tetsuo live in the future at least once, maybe incorporate it within the circulation of Hand Covers Bruise and What If We Could?

BRoswell
07-24-2015, 12:30 PM
Man I'd love if he played Theme For Tetsuo live in the future at least once, maybe incorporate it within the circulation of Hand Covers Bruise and What If We Could?

The only way I'd want to see it played live is if Trent could get an actual horn section for those epic horn blasts.

_T_B_W_
07-24-2015, 12:35 PM
The only way I'd want to see it played live is if Trent could get an actual horn section for those epic horn blasts.
Agreed, I've also always thought that Ruiner could also use a bit of a natural horn progression played live.

implanted_microchip
07-24-2015, 01:18 PM

For quite a while now I've actually wanted Trent & Atticus to do a few one-off orchestral shows where they showcase pieces from their score work and ninstrumentals that would translate into the format. A lot of composers have done similar things and their work could translate amazingly into that format. Have Rob film the whole thing one night and post the footage in 4K on YouTube, I'd be a happy camper.

nineinchnerd
07-24-2015, 02:20 PM
For quite a while now I've actually wanted Trent & Atticus to do a few one-off orchestral shows where they showcase pieces from their score work and ninstrumentals that would translate into the format. A lot of composers have done similar things and their work could translate amazingly into that format. Have Rob film the whole thing one night and post the footage in 4K on YouTube, I'd be a happy camper.

That would be such a bore.

BRoswell
07-24-2015, 02:36 PM

I'd much rather see that than another NIN tour at this point. I just wish Trent would go for it.

implanted_microchip
07-24-2015, 02:36 PM
That would be such a bore.

For you, which is why you'd have the luxury of, oh wow, who knew this was an option, not attending any of the shows and not watching the footage of it!

Like holy shit man stop just acting like your view of NIN and Trent is the end-all-be-all of opinion, it's opinion. I love the score work, I love the instrumentals in the NIN discography, guess what, a lot of people do, too, they even got an Academy Award for it at one point, just because you don't care for an entire aspect of a man's life and career and focus doesn't mean it is boring and awful. Try being diplomatic and nuanced in the way you say things for once, goddamn, seriously, I am so tired of the pages of utter shit and in-fighting in the past couple of weeks because of garbage like this. Let's all have a good time and try to not be cunts, yeah?

While those of us who dig that entire side of his creativity enjoy it you can go watch Closure or And All That Could Have Been or Beside You In Time or Another Version of the Truth or TDS: Live or Tension on YouTube or the festival livestreams or ACL or -- well, any of the massive wealth of live footage and representation of the rest of his discography. It's a totally underutilized aspect of his catalog live and some of us, surprisingly, would really enjoy seeing that. There's like 1,000 versions of March of the Pigs out there, there's a whole none of She Reminds Me of You or The Persistence of Loss or Clue Two or The Gentle Hum of Anxiety or almost all of the Ghosts release, etc., etc.

Like I'm not over here shitting all over the things you love about Trent's work, stop shitting on the things others love about his work. It takes all kinds to make a world and all that jazz.

nineinchnerd
07-24-2015, 02:42 PM
For you, which is why you'd have the luxury of, oh wow, who knew this was an option, not attending any of the shows and not watching the footage of it!

Like holy shit man stop just acting like your view of NIN and Trent is the end-all-be-all of opinion, it's opinion. I love the score work, I love the instrumentals in the NIN discography, guess what, a lot of people do, too, they even got an Academy Award for it at one point, just because you don't care for an entire aspect of a man's life and career and focus doesn't mean it is boring and awful. Try being diplomatic and nuanced in the way you say things for once, goddamn, seriously, I am so tired of the pages of utter shit and in-fighting in the past couple of weeks because of garbage like this. Let's all have a good time and try to not be cunts, yeah?

While those of us who dig that entire side of his creativity you can go watch Closure or And All That Could Have Been or Beside You In Time or Another Version of the Truth or TDS: Live or Tension on YouTube or the festival livestreams or ACL or -- well, any of the massive wealth of live footage and representation of the rest of his discography. It's a totally underutilized aspect of his catalog live and some of us, surprisingly, would really enjoy seeing that. There's like 1,000 versions of March of the Pigs out there, there's a whole none of She Reminds Me of You or The Persistence of Loss or Clue Two or The Gentle Hum of Anxiety or almost all of the Ghosts release, etc., etc.

Like I'm not over here shitting all over the things you love about Trent's work, stop shitting on the things others love about his work. It takes all kinds to make a world and all that jazz.

Scores are great within the context of what they are. But trying to make a show out of it would be kind of pointless to me. And yes, boring. It's an instrumental that enhances a movie going experience. On its own, it gets old fast.

BRoswell
07-24-2015, 02:47 PM
Scores are great within the context of what they are. But trying to make a show out of it would be kind of pointless to me. And yes, boring. It's an instrumental that enhances a movie going experience. On its own, it gets old fast.

Hand Covers Bruise and What If We Could? were already performed live, and both seemed to get quite a response from the audience. YOU might find it boring and pointless, but I'm willing to be that there's quite a few fans would enjoy that sort of thing.

nineinchnerd
07-24-2015, 02:49 PM
Hand Covers Bruise and What If We Could? were already performed live, and both seemed to get quite a response from the audience. YOU might find it boring and pointless, but I'm willing to be that there's quite a few fans would enjoy that sort of thing.

It's performed live during a full live NIN show. It's a side; not the main course.

implanted_microchip
07-24-2015, 02:50 PM

That's entirely your subjective opinion though and you're completely disregarding that maybe others can feel differently and no one is right or wrong because it's a matter of taste. TSN soundtrack sells for Fragile-level prices on vinyl, why would anyone want it if it gets old fast? Why would there be any interest in all the limited releases of score work that Mondo does which sell out in minutes sometimes if it was just boring to everyone?

Hand Covers Bruise into BYiT is probably one of the greatest transitions NIN's ever had live. You're just really ignoring the majority of anything I'm saying and zoning in on one or two things and acting like that's it, then saying your opinion as though it's fact. You're making me miss bill.

_T_B_W_
07-24-2015, 02:51 PM
And let's not forget the lighting/visuals he can accompany to this type of show, it'll be a modern Mozart extravaganza. I'm already getting extreme vibes if he ever merged Quake/Still/Ghosts/Social Network etc one day.

BRoswell
07-24-2015, 02:54 PM
It's performed live during a full live NIN show. It's a side; not the main course.

And what about the other instrumentals that have been performed over the years? People lost their shit when A Warm Place started getting played at shows, and that's pretty far from the usual NIN songs that get played.

Khrz
07-24-2015, 03:05 PM
Il go to that party, meet me in the pit during Driver Down.

Volband
07-24-2015, 03:37 PM
NIN has always been famous for their live shows, and I think I don't have to name all the differences between certain songs studio and live version. Listening to a NIN song's album version and hearing, or even SEEING it live is a whole different experience. So no, as much as I have no opposition to Trent playing his beautiful scores the way they sound on the albums (since there is little room to improvise there or change up stuff), I1d be absolutely devastated if a possible new and exciting NIN tour would be thrown out because of it.

A Warm Place, All The Love In The World, Sanctified+Sunspots, new The Great Destroyer, Eraser coming back, backup singers, some pretty neat visuals for Tension and the list could go on forever. He works his soul out to present his "shit" to us in a new and entertaining way. Doing an entire tour with scores and instrumentals instead of a proper, new NIN tour is just stupid. Something like that should be a 1-2 shows only performance, like that benefit concert he gave.

And as for playing HM it's entirety.... Is it just me, who still remembers all the talk during his previous tours? I'm pretty sure if he did that, then ETS would've been the cause for World War 3. There were already some heated debates about the way he did Tension, or criticizing many of the new materials and their live performances. In hindsight it's very easy to say how cool it would've been if he did HM from start to finish, but in reality, the major consensus could've been summed up with one NIN song's title: DISAPPOINTED.

The Downward Spiral is so so so so so SO SO SO much more appreciated and loved than HM, yet he still only played it entirely just a few times, during an "I don't give a shit, this is my last tour, suck my dick if you don't like it" tour, and even then, it was incorporated into a million songs long setlist. So, HM being played like that is not only a terrible idea (both for Trent and for most of us, except a few of you), it's not even doable. HM has 12 songs plus an intro/outro, but let's stick with twelve. Okay, throw in the auto-include songs: Wish, HLAH, THTF, Hurt, MOTP. 17 songs. The average Tension show had 25 songs, based on ninwiki. So Trent would have the freedom to include 8 songs from 9 albums and from the lone songs like Burn, Suck and his scores. It's just all kinds of wrong, and we were already complaining before the European shows that how freakin' unimaginative most of the setlists are.

nineinchnerd
07-24-2015, 03:47 PM
NIN has always been famous for their live shows, and I think I don't have to name all the differences between certain songs studio and live version. Listening to a NIN song's album version and hearing, or even SEEING it live is a whole different experience. So no, as much as I have no opposition to Trent playing his beautiful scores the way they sound on the albums (since there is little room to improvise there or change up stuff), I1d be absolutely devastated if a possible new and exciting NIN tour would be thrown out because of it.

A Warm Place, All The Love In The World, Sanctified+Sunspots, new The Great Destroyer, Eraser coming back, backup singers, some pretty neat visuals for Tension and the list could go on forever. He works his soul out to present his "shit" to us in a new and entertaining way. Doing an entire tour with scores and instrumentals instead of a proper, new NIN tour is just stupid. Something like that should be a 1-2 shows only performance, like that benefit concert he gave.

And as for playing HM it's entirety.... Is it just me, who still remembers all the talk during his previous tours? I'm pretty sure if he did that, then ETS would've been the cause for World War 3. There were already some heated debates about the way he did Tension, or criticizing many of the new materials and their live performances. In hindsight it's very easy to say how cool it would've been if he did HM from start to finish, but in reality, the major consensus could've been summed up with one NIN song's title: DISAPPOINTED.

The Downward Spiral is so so so so so SO SO SO much more appreciated and loved than HM, yet he still only played it entirely just a few times, during an "I don't give a shit, this is my last tour, suck my dick if you don't like it" tour, and even then, it was incorporated into a million songs long setlist. So, HM being played like that is not only a terrible idea (both for Trent and for most of us, except a few of you), it's not even doable. HM has 12 songs plus an intro/outro, but let's stick with twelve. Okay, throw in the auto-include songs: Wish, HLAH, THTF, Hurt, MOTP. 17 songs. The average Tension show had 25 songs, based on ninwiki. So Trent would have the freedom to include 8 songs from 9 albums and from the lone songs like Burn, Suck and his scores. It's just all kinds of wrong, and we were already complaining before the European shows that how freakin' unimaginative most of the setlists are.

Amen, brother.

BRoswell
07-24-2015, 03:48 PM

You have no opposition to it, but you'd be devastated if he did that instead of another NIN tour. Got it.

A Warm Place, All The Love In The World, Sanctified+Sunspots, new The Great Destroyer, Eraser coming back, backup singers, some pretty neat visuals for Tension and the list could go on forever. He works his soul out to present his "shit" to us in a new and entertaining way.

Yes.

Doing an entire tour with scores and instrumentals instead of a proper, new NIN tour is just stupid.

Wait, what? You just said "he works his soul out to present his "shit" to us in a new and entertaining way". How would that NOT apply to this scenario?

Something like that should be a 1-2 shows only performance, like that benefit concert he gave.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe anyone said it should be a world tour. It would have to be limited engagement sort of thing.

nineinchnerd
07-24-2015, 03:52 PM
It's like Trent giving us a full course meal in the form of a NIN live show. And then saying okay now I'm going to give you a few chicken bones to suck on in the form of an instrumental show.

eversonpoe
07-24-2015, 03:58 PM
It's like Trent giving us a full course meal in the form of a NIN live show. And then saying okay now I'm going to give you a few chicken bones to suck on in the form of an instrumental show.

except THAT'S YOUR OPINION and NO ONE IS SAYING YOU CAN'T HAVE IT.

those "chicken bones" to you are more like the world's richest chocolate cake, to me. i'd rather skip dinner and eat the whole god damn cake, but that's MY OPINION to which i am entitled and you don't have to agree with, but you do have to let me have it. there are no objective facts here, dude.

BRoswell
07-24-2015, 03:58 PM

That's not the same thing at all. Not to mention that you seem to be under the impression that it would just be an instrumental NIN show, which in all likelihood it WOULDN'T be. It would probably be a theater/amphitheater type of show, dressed down, maybe/maybe not some visuals, but certainly not a massive light show. It'd be the type of show where you sit down and take everything in. It wouldn't be a rock concert, which would be the whole point of doing it.

_T_B_W_
07-24-2015, 04:00 PM
This is going to be a one man's trash is another man's treasure argument. We can all agree to disagree.

nineinchnerd
07-24-2015, 04:01 PM
except THAT'S YOUR OPINION and NO ONE IS SAYING YOU CAN'T HAVE IT.

those "chicken bones" to you are more like the world's richest chocolate cake, to me. i'd rather skip dinner and eat the whole god damn cake, but that's MY OPINION to which i am entitled and you don't have to agree with, but you do have to let me have it. there are no objective facts here, dude.

OK, but have you noticed how Trent has said multiple times that he enjoys doing the scores as a compliment to what he does normally for his day job? I don't think a complimentary thing should ever take center stage, and I'm pretty confident it never will.

fillow
07-24-2015, 04:03 PM
Why is everyone so desperate to fight this guy? Did billy boy not teach ETS anything?

BRoswell
07-24-2015, 04:05 PM
OK, but have you noticed how Trent has said multiple times that he enjoys doing the scores as a compliment to what he does normally for his day job? I don't think a complimentary thing should ever take center stage, and I'm pretty confident it never will.

But we're not just talking about the scores. We're talking about that, plus NINstrumentals, and perhaps a few mellow vocal tracks. It would be like the difference between Still and Broken in terms of tone.

Volband
07-24-2015, 04:07 PM
You have no opposition to it, but you'd be devastated if he did that instead of another NIN tour. Got it.
Apples and oranges? I'M fine with Trent doing some insrumental shows, I'm not fine with doing so many it would cost us a legit, new NIN tour.

Wait, what? You just said "he works his soul out to present his "shit" to us in a new and entertaining way". How would that NOT apply to this scenario?
And I also said that there are much more potential in making his studio work awesome. For one, you can't really change the music itself in scores - they are beautiful and perfect for a reason. Now compare that to Closer having TOT breakdown, or MOTP having different intros and an extended outro, or songs being more agressive (Tension's Copy Of A, Terrible Lie), etc. You just can't, unless we are talking about his instrumental NIN works, but they are technically NIN songs. Yes, he can make pretty visuals for his scores, taht one is correct.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe anyone said it should be a world tour. It would have to be limited engagement sort of thing.
You said you'd rather have him tour his scores than his NIN work next time.

Volband
07-24-2015, 04:08 PM
But we're not just talking about the scores. We're talking about that, plus NINstrumentals, and perhaps a few mellow vocal tracks. It would be like the difference between Still and Broken in terms of tone.
So basically a NIN tour with scores as an addition. A few steps and we arrive at something like LITS was; a kickass NIN tour with an instrumental section.

sheepdean
07-24-2015, 04:09 PM
There are entire record labels and industries that only deal in score music. You're objectively wrong, instrumental music, score, soundtrack, theme and incidental music are all enjoyed by many, can play to packed theatres and are a growing trend.

It'd be harder to get Atticus to actually want to do a tour than it would to sell tickets, believe me.

Volband
07-24-2015, 04:11 PM
There are entire record labels and industries that only deal in score music. You're objectively wrong, instrumental music, score, soundtrack, theme and incidental music are all enjoyed by many, can play to packed theatres and are a growing trend.

It'd be harder to get Atticus to actually want to do a tour than it would to sell tickets, believe me.
Trent sitting in a chair for 1,5 hours would sell tickets as well.

BRoswell
07-24-2015, 04:13 PM

This. For instance, guys like Hans Zimmer and John Williams play sold out concerts where they ONLY play music from films they've worked on. There's no reason why Trent and Atticus can't do the same (plus some NIN stuff).

So basically a NIN tour with scores as an addition. A few steps and we arrive at something like LITS was; a kickass NIN tour with an instrumental section.

No, because it wouldn't be like a Nine Inch Nails show. Think John Williams, not John Lennon.

Volband
07-24-2015, 04:21 PM
No, because it wouldn't be like a Nine Inch Nails show. Think John Williams, not John Lennon.
I can see Trent making a short kickass show from his instrumental NIN tracks. I can also see him playing a short performance with scores and light light NIN songs. I can't see him mixing them. I can't see him enjoying playing a 15-20 songs long setlist like this day after day. I can see him making it a veeery few times, or maybe once, but then he would mix them together for one, epic show for some charity.

It's obvious he's enjoying his live shows, he dances to his own music live!!! Give him three shows in a row without THTF and he'd be hospitalized due to overflowing sadness that he can't clap his hands and dance to the beat. Also, his time for touring is pretty limited as it is.

sheepdean
07-24-2015, 04:24 PM
I can see Trent making a short kickass show from his instrumental NIN tracks. I can also see him playing a short performance with scores and light light NIN songs. I can't see him mixing them. I can't see him enjoying playing a 15-20 songs long setlist like this day after day. I can see him making it a veeery few times, or maybe once, but then he would mix them together for one, epic show for some charity.

It's obvious he's enjoying his live shows, he dances to his own music live!!! Give him three shows in a row without THTF and he'd be hospitalized due to overflowing sadness that he can't clap his hands and dance to the beat. Also, his time for touring is pretty limited as it is.
You should probably check out CRC, With Teeth Summer Radio, Still, reAct now...

BRoswell
07-24-2015, 04:29 PM
I can't see him enjoying playing a 15-20 songs long setlist like this day after day.

And again, nobody said it was going to be some sort of world tour with a hundred dates spread over two years.

Volband
07-24-2015, 04:30 PM
You should probably check out CRC, With Teeth Summer Radio, Still, reAct now...
So the same exact things I described he might/would do? Short setlists, one time occasions or a few performances max, nothing extravagant. It basically just backs me up in this argument.

And again, nobody said it was going to be some sort of world tour with a hundred dates spread over two years.
Then I'm not sure if we are arguing about anything at all. I think I already implied that I think that a few short performances are completely plausible. But it will never ever be in contest for a possible new NIN tour.

BRoswell
07-24-2015, 06:16 PM
Your argument is that Trent would get tired of playing the same set every night if he was doing a show like that, but I think that argument applies way more to a new NIN tour than what we're describing. It would be a very limited engagement, with much less travel than a typical tour, and with an opportunity to present music that, for the most part, hasn't been played live before in a different environment than we're used to. Compare that with playing *insert set staple* pretty much the same way it's been played for years to a crowd that has most likely seen it and knows what to expect. As much as I've enjoyed what he's done on past tours, he has rarely deviated much from a specific kind of performance. Tension was an evolution of Lights In The Sky, which was an evolution from With Teeth, which was an evolution from Fragility, which was an evolution from Self Destruct. That's not a complaint, because we all love that stuff, but this would be a chance to subvert those expectations. It may not be as "FUCK YEAH RAWK AND ROLL!!!!!" as that, but it would be a lot more interesting.

nineinchnerd
07-24-2015, 08:43 PM
Kind of a bummer that we'll have to wait several years till the next NIN tour. : (

Reaps
07-24-2015, 08:56 PM
I wonder if that 'Burn' scream was a one off, i'd certainly not expect him do to that live, hell i lose my voice when i go to a football match..

nineinchnerd
07-25-2015, 05:27 AM
We still have no idea what Mark Romanek was working on with Trent. Anyone have any guesses?

BenAkenobi
07-25-2015, 05:50 AM
Trent sitting in a chair for 1,5 hours would sell tickets as well.

For some reason i imagined Trent sitting behind cash register selling tickets himself :D

sheepdean
07-25-2015, 12:05 PM
We still have no idea what Mark Romanek was working on with Trent. Anyone have any guesses?
Could've easily been another music video that we didn't get. Many seeds never grow

nineinchnerd
07-25-2015, 03:50 PM
Could've easily been another music video that we didn't get. Many seeds never grow

Romanek said he was working with Trent a couple months back. How would it have been a music video?????

Dr Channard
07-25-2015, 03:57 PM

Here’s my shot in the dark. I’ll guess that Mark was helping Trent install a new energy efficient Water Heater, you know, as a selling point for the house.

We’ve already become desperate for nin news, :( haven’t we?

sheepdean
07-25-2015, 04:06 PM
Romanek said he was working with Trent a couple months back. How would it have been a music video?????
New song? Last time they worked together we got a video for a standalone single after all

Khrz
07-25-2015, 06:00 PM
The Fight Club : The Musical trailer ???

nineinchnerd
07-25-2015, 09:19 PM
New song? Last time they worked together we got a video for a standalone single after all

I assume you're referring to 'Perfect Drug.' I'm surprised Trent never performed that song live.

sheepdean
07-25-2015, 09:40 PM
I assume you're referring to 'Perfect Drug.' I'm surprised Trent never performed that song live.
I am. And he has a loooong list of unplayed live songs, many surprising
http://www.nin.wiki/NIN_songs_never_played_live

implanted_microchip
07-25-2015, 10:52 PM

I doubt Trent would do it but I mean Rammstein released the song Mein Herz Brennt as a single with not one but three videos for it in 2012/2013, a song that's the opener on an album from 2001. So it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Now let me put my tinfoil on and go full crazy fanboy wet dream here:

- Making a video for something from Hesitation Marks

- Meant as a promo for and to be included on the ultra-deluxe amazing NIN Live: 2013/14 Blu-Ray release

- Fragile remaster/deluxe edition released a week later as free download and vinyl set

- With Teeth 10th anniversary edition released month later with new video for Every Day Is Exactly the Same filmed by Romanek included along with My Dead Friend, The Warning, Message to No One, Home and the With_Teeth essay included

- Hell freezes over

- Trent & Atticus release a three hour long score to accompany the new frozen hellscape we are cast into, available in all file formats, as a 3-CD set or ultra-deluxe signed and numbered vinyl boxset with flash drive, people bitch about whether or not it's "stand alone music" because it's a score, lots of redundant pages of fighting where no one's opinion is really altered at all ensue

Dr Channard
07-25-2015, 11:25 PM
- Hell freezes over

- Trent & Atticus release a three hour long score to accompany the new frozen hellscape we are cast into, available in all file formats, as a 3-CD set or ultra-deluxe signed and numbered vinyl boxset with flash drive, people bitch about whether or not it's "stand alone music" because it's a score, lots of redundant pages of fighting where no one's opinion is really altered at all ensue

- The Devil King of this frozen hell wasteland is a two headed abomination named Trenticus Rosznor. Let us praise the wretched heathen lord with pagan ceremonies and rites.

- Trenticus Rosznor announces that he will only accept our pagan worship if it is rendered through Apple. :(

nineinchnerd
07-25-2015, 11:33 PM
I doubt Trent would do it but I mean Rammstein released the song Mein Herz Brennt as a single with not one but three videos for it in 2012/2013, a song that's the opener on an album from 2001. So it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Now let me put my tinfoil on and go full crazy fanboy wet dream here:

- Making a video for something from Hesitation Marks

- Meant as a promo for and to be included on the ultra-deluxe amazing NIN Live: 2013/14 Blu-Ray release

- Fragile remaster/deluxe edition released a week later as free download and vinyl set

- With Teeth 10th anniversary edition released month later with new video for Every Day Is Exactly the Same filmed by Romanek included along with My Dead Friend, The Warning, Message to No One, Home and the With_Teeth essay included

- Hell freezes over

And I get laid by a woman who doesn't look like an oger. And NIN announces a new 3 year long tour and a new NIN album comes out and scientists discover that doughnuts and cookies and soda are the key to a long healthy life.

_T_B_W_
07-26-2015, 12:49 AM
Top Of The Hour into Theme For Tetsuo live....one day

nineinchnerd
07-26-2015, 01:18 AM
Seems like Trent is in full lounge mode right now. Judging by his NIN account on Apple music, he's been making a lot of recommendations lately: soundtracks, horror movies, etc.

http://maggiebear.com/trentgallery15/trent682tx.JPG

sheepdean
07-26-2015, 01:20 AM
Top Of The Hour into Theme For Tetsuo live....one day
Odds that Trent even remembers TOH are slim to none

sheepdean
07-26-2015, 01:22 AM
Seems like Trent is in full lounge mode right now. Judging by his NIN account on Apple music, he's been making a lot of recommendations lately: soundtracks, horror movies, etc.

http://maggiebear.com/trentgallery15/trent682tx.JPG
Or maybe he was recently interviewed by a documentary about score music and wanted to refresh himself

https://www.facebook.com/ScoreMovie/photos/a.1568580596713000.1073741830.1538770103027383/1636901966547529/?type=1&permPage=1

nineinchnerd
07-26-2015, 02:22 AM
Or maybe he was recently interviewed by a documentary about score music and wanted to refresh himself

https://www.facebook.com/ScoreMovie/photos/a.1568580596713000.1073741830.1538770103027383/1636901966547529/?type=1&permPage=1

Oh Jesus... Score score score score... Four score and seven years ago... I think I'm going to hurl...

BRoswell
07-26-2015, 02:35 AM
God forbid Trent and Atticus get interviewed about something they enjoy and happen to be good at.

sheepdean
07-26-2015, 02:39 AM
Oh Jesus... Score score score score... Four score and seven years ago... I think I'm going to hurl...
Well, he's an Oscar winning score composer who has worked in the genre since 1996. It's gonna come up

nineinchnerd
07-26-2015, 03:10 AM
God forbid Trent and Atticus get interviewed about something they enjoy and happen to be good at.

I mean it's almost been a year straight of just score talk and instrumentals. It's getting beyond stale.

Volband
07-26-2015, 04:51 AM
I am. And he has a loooong list of unplayed live songs, many surprising
http://www.nin.wiki/NIN_songs_never_played_live
Is that supposed to be sarcasm? :O The only songs which are surprising to me are Where Is Everybody, The Pefect Drug and AATCHB.

sheepdean
07-26-2015, 05:10 AM
I mean it's almost been a year straight of just score talk and instrumentals. It's getting beyond stale.
But that's ... that's what he does. He makes music. We just got a fantastic new HTDA live film if you want something to tithe you over with singing in it too.

Is that supposed to be sarcasm? :O The only songs which are surprising to me are Where Is Everybody, The Pefect Drug and AATCHB.
TPD and Everything are both very surprising (they're SINGLES man), Purest Feeling was a title track and not being played when that album was still a ~thing~ is odd too. Never doing Appendage is weird because, well, it wouldn't be hard to just put it at the end of Please and 34 Ghosts because it got an award nomination.

Volband
07-26-2015, 07:15 AM
I think what's surprising is that Everything was a single. I'm among the few who likes that song, but it certainly doesn't fit the album, and the best argument against that statement is that it fits the album BECAUSE it doesn't fit it. Yeah, right. Anyway, ATL or In Two would've been better representations of what's on the album.

Also, while WAITT is not on the list, I think it's so much more surprising what became of that song. When TF came out, I'm sure some people thought this song will be a staple for the Fragility tours, and will come back later as well, just like Wish, MOTP etc. It's 2015, and while technically this song has been played live, it really wasn't.

As for Appendage, to me, it's more mind blowing how it did not make the final cut as the ending of Please. Please itself is not a great live track, not sure how much Trent played it live, but if the original Please had Appendage in it, I think it would've made more people happy, than sad.

FULLMETAL
07-26-2015, 01:30 PM
Please itself is not a great live track, not sure how much Trent played it live, but if the original Please had Appendage in it, I think it would've made more people happy, than sad.

After the Berlin show in '99, I asked him if he was going to play "Please" live and he said I just missed it. Sure enough, the debut performance was the show before and they didn't play it the rest of the European leg (it was added back to the set for the Japanese shows).

Thankfully, I got to hear it live six years later in Knoxville of all places and I was quite happy even if it didn't include the appendage.

implanted_microchip
07-26-2015, 02:50 PM
After the Berlin show in '99, I asked him if he was going to play "Please" live and he said I just missed it. Sure enough, the debut performance was the show before and they didn't play it the rest of the European leg (it was added back to the set for the Japanese shows).

Thankfully, I got to hear it live six years later in Knoxville of all places and I was quite happy even if it didn't include the appendage.

Please is one I'd love to see live, every recording of it tends to sound very energy-high and seems to translate pretty well.

As far as other unplayed songs go I've always thought Underneath It All would make a great intro song though, the sampled fractured vocal pieces, the instrumental build, Trent walks to the mic, goes into the "All I do, I can still feel you" as each band member comes out as needed, visuals start to kick in at the "Crucified, after all I've died, after all I've tried," arc, Ally and Robin do the falsetto "All I do"'s at the end, go right into March of the Pigs after, smooth transition, doesn't take up a ton of space, really seems to hit all the general qualities they look for when choosing opening songs.

fillow
07-26-2015, 04:20 PM
As far as other unplayed songs go I've always thought Underneath It All would make a great intro song though, the sampled fractured vocal pieces, the instrumental build, Trent walks to the mic, goes into the "All I do, I can still feel you" as each band member comes out as needed, visuals start to kick in at the "Crucified, after all I've died, after all I've tried," arc, Ally and Robin do the falsetto "All I do"'s at the end, go right into March of the Pigs after, smooth transition, doesn't take up a ton of space, really seems to hit all the general qualities they look for when choosing opening songs.

It would be even smoother to go from Underneath straight into Ms Self Destruct (or vice versa)

_T_B_W_
07-26-2015, 05:58 PM
Odds that Trent even remembers TOH are slim to none
Never tell me the odds :/

nineinchnerd
07-27-2015, 12:21 AM
Let's try and predict Trent's next post on Apple Music through his NIN account. Here I go:

"Judge Judy on DVD. Great binge watching while sitting on the couch eating potato chips. Gets better with each season. Highly recommended!"

Volband
07-27-2015, 02:46 AM

Usually, if you hear something rare played, the odds are highly in favor of you enjoying it, even if there are objectively many more better live songs to be performed. Novelty is one hell of a boost.

sheepdean
07-27-2015, 06:08 AM
Usually, if you hear something rare played, the odds are highly in favor of you enjoying it, even if there are objectively many more better live songs to be performed. Novelty is one hell of a boost.
I guarantee even those who dislike TPD would pay a premium to be at the show that finally debuts it

r_k_f
07-28-2015, 02:25 PM
I'd be perfectly content with listening to no other music except that in which Reznor is part of... This truthful admission alone means that I have reached the peak of sane Fanboy-ism. Seriously, I just realized that I've listened to very little outside the NIN sphere for quite some time. Is he melodically brainwashing us, maybe? Those With Teeth and The Fragile instrumentals really got me... The stuff is sonic magic, that's the only logical explanation I can come up with.

telee.kom
07-28-2015, 02:39 PM
Getting bit of a NIN vibe from this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pnWkaZK1hA

Substance242
07-28-2015, 02:55 PM
Do not know where to put this, maybe Rob Sheridan would enjoy this little fun thing? :-)
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2015/07/28/quantum-vj-puts-8-bit-glitch-visuals-in-the-palm-of-your-hand/
Quantum VJ Puts 8-Bit Glitch Visuals In The Palm Of Your Hand

Update: Actually, since this goes to warmplace.ru, author is most likely very well aware of NIN.

nineinchnerd
07-29-2015, 02:01 AM
This should be Trent's theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcLDmj5pxjY

Ryan
07-29-2015, 08:04 AM
Not sure if this is news or not, but The Frail (alt) and Pilgrimage (alt) now appear in Trent's Apple Music playlist, if you want to update this on ninwiki sheepdean

I think it still says something on ninwiki about them not being on the primary playlist but findable elsewhere.

Ryan
07-29-2015, 08:09 AM
Speaking of, I wish instrumental versions of Home, Non-Entity and Not So Pretty Now would appear.

MrSlfDstruct
07-29-2015, 12:29 PM
Please is one I'd love to see live, every recording of it tends to sound very energy-high and seems to translate pretty well.

You're a fucking asshole. Because now this is all I want in my life. ;)

nineinchnerd
07-31-2015, 05:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JozAmXo2bDE

Right now, I'm working on assembling 2,000 people to perform 'Starfuckers' in a project to persuade Trent to play a concert in Alabama. Please IM me if you want to help out. Thanks!

Khrz
07-31-2015, 06:22 AM
Playing Starfuckers to lure Reznor ? That's a bold move...

fillow
07-31-2015, 09:45 AM
Yeah, he should totally play Everything.

Dr Channard
07-31-2015, 12:17 PM
Right now, I'm working on assembling 2,000 people to perform 'Starfuckers' in a project to persuade Trent to play a concert in Alabama.

I salute your ambition. Though I’m not sure that a group can come together and summon Trent as if he were Captain Planet.

r_k_f
07-31-2015, 12:41 PM
maybe shine this up in the sky?

http://i59.tinypic.com/2i1p9ut.png

sheepdean
07-31-2015, 03:05 PM
r_k_f I hate to be a pedant, but wouldn't that end up backwards when projected

Khrz
07-31-2015, 03:08 PM
@r_k_f (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2575) I hate to be a pedant, but wouldn't that end up backwards when projected

Wha... Bu....

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/en.futurama/images/d/da/Fry_Looking_Squint.jpg/revision/latest/zoom-crop/width/240/height/240?cb=20110701192358

nineinchnerd
07-31-2015, 11:54 PM
What's up with weird 'let's cover up our kids faces' pics from mariqueen on instagram? It's bordering on Michael Jackson type paranoia and weirdness.

BRoswell
08-01-2015, 12:02 AM
What's up with weird 'let's cover up our kids faces' pics from mariqueen on instagram? It's bordering on Michael Jackson type paranoia and weirdness.

What's up with you constantly bringing up what Mariqueen's posting on Instagram, especially in threads where it's not relevant?

sheepdean
08-01-2015, 12:32 AM
Like many celebrities/people in the public eye, TR/MR don't want their kids plastered all over the place, they're just kids after all. And if you don't like it ... unfollow her?

nineinchnerd
08-01-2015, 01:26 AM
Like many celebrities/people in the public eye, TR/MR don't want their kids plastered all over the place, they're just kids after all. And if you don't like it ... unfollow her?

That's kind of hypocritical. They don't want pictures plastered, yet they plaster the pictures all over instagram with their faces covered. It's like the MJ "I don't want my kids in the spotlight" but I dangle them off balconies and put them on TV with masks on. Very strange and weird. Just show their faces; it's not at all that big of a deal.

BRoswell
08-01-2015, 01:30 AM
That's kind of hypocritical. They don't want pictures plastered, yet they plaster the pictures all over instagram with their faces covered. It's like the MJ "I don't want my kids in the spotlight" but I dangle them off balconies and put them on TV with masks on. Very strange and weird. Just show their faces; it's not at all that big of a deal.

There are pictures where you can see their faces. Also, who gives a shit? Also also, WHY IS THIS IN "RANDOM NIN THOUGHTS"?

nineinchnerd
08-01-2015, 01:38 AM
There are pictures where you can see their faces. Also, who gives a shit? Also also, WHY IS THIS IN "RANDOM NIN THOUGHTS"?

It's says 'RANDOM' NIN Thoughts. It was a random thought associated with NIN.

sheepdean
08-01-2015, 01:41 AM
NIN fans can be psychotic, when they first got engaged there were literal death threats because, psychotic. I can understand wanting to protect their identity. Also, they aren't covering up the kids' faces in public, they're just not openly posting them for millions of people to see. Again, they're children. When they're older I'm sure they'll post their faces if the kids want to be on there, but they may not. They are giving them freedom of decision.

And gain: just unfollow her.

BRoswell
08-01-2015, 01:48 AM
It was a random thought associated with NIN.

Survey says?

*bzzzt*

nineinchnerd
08-01-2015, 01:58 AM
NIN fans can be psychotic, when they first got engaged there were literal death threats because, psychotic. I can understand wanting to protect their identity. Also, they aren't covering up the kids' faces in public, they're just not openly posting them for millions of people to see. Again, they're children. When they're older I'm sure they'll post their faces if the kids want to be on there, but they may not. They are giving them freedom of decision.

And gain: just unfollow her.

Umm... I'm not following her. It was brought up in another forum discussing hollywood elitist BS. Also, I find it very hard to believe that they believe some of their fans would threaten their kids... That just seems ludicrous.

sheepdean
08-01-2015, 02:05 AM
Also, I find it very hard to believe that they believe some of their fans would threaten their kids... That just seems ludicrous.
You weren't around when they announced their relationship were you?

BRoswell
08-01-2015, 02:08 AM
Umm... I'm not following her.

Then maybe don't give her shit about something you're not 100% sure of, because like I said, she HAS posted pictures where their faces are visible. Look, I know you've got a hate boner for Mariqueen, but give it a rest already. Shit, at the very least you could have posted about this in the How To Destroy Angels section. At least then you might have been able to argue your point, even it is ridiculous.

Copy_of_an_Echo
08-01-2015, 02:30 AM
Indeed, I was being sarcastic. I do that a lot and apologise for nothing :P

Although I'd give my right hand for a fucking Ghosts tour

Ah. Indeed. Haha.

ninlive
08-01-2015, 10:10 PM
I've been to about 5 shows since my last NIN show in Houston last year. Nothing seems to compare... Le sigh... :(

sick among the pure
08-01-2015, 10:18 PM
I've been to about 5 shows since my last NIN show in Houston last year. Nothing seems to compare... Le sigh... :(
No shows can ever compare. Plus, you were at the Camden show as well if I remember correctly?

nineinchnerd
08-02-2015, 03:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PM5YWZnhIs

sick among the pure
08-02-2015, 12:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PM5YWZnhIs

...um, do I even want to ask? I'm assuming you're back to posting random videos again. You know, there is a topic called Random Stupidity you can post nonsense in, right?

Random NIN thought: I don't have a big album collection, just one (local) version of each (except PHM, which I have 3 releases of). I don't really have any ultra-rare stuff, and my poster/shirt collection is probably bigger than my cd/vinyl collection. So I think every once in a while what my rarest/most expensive NIN item(/s) would be. Probably either my The Spiral flat collection, or both night one and two Chicago Wave Goodbye shirts. What do you guys think is your most expensive/rarest item(/s)? I would imagine for a lot of you, the $300 Ghosts set would be.

BenAkenobi
08-02-2015, 12:15 PM
...I'm assuming you're back to posting random videos again...

That rap song actually uses a melody from Hurt by nin ;)

sick among the pure
08-02-2015, 12:36 PM
That rap song actually uses a melody from Hurt by nin ;)

Ah, my bad, I'm on my phone. I'll make sure to come back and have a listen later.

WorzelG
08-02-2015, 01:15 PM
...um, do I even want to ask? I'm assuming you're back to posting random videos again. You know, there is a topic called Random Stupidity you can post nonsense in, right?

Random NIN thought: I don't have a big album collection, just one (local) version of each (except PHM, which I have 3 releases of). I don't really have any ultra-rare stuff, and my poster/shirt collection is probably bigger than my cd/vinyl collection. So I think every once in a while what my rarest/most expensive NIN item(/s) would be. Probably either my The Spiral flat collection, or both night one and two Chicago Wave Goodbye shirts. What do you guys think is your most expensive/rarest item(/s)? I would imagine for a lot of you, the $300 Ghosts set would be.
Today my 3 year old son came out of the garage holding a poster tube, which I assumed to contain some of my husbands old posters. When I looked at the tube, it was from the spiral and it was my With Teeth lyric poster which I didn't even realise I owned for years! What a great find, so I got that, the lithos of albums up to with teeth, a tshirt and a kind of credit card thing which are my rarest nin things (apart from the AATCHB CD with still). Looking at the address on the tube, I managed to transport it through 3 house moves without looking in it or remembering that it was there, I was 30+ when I got it, so too old to be putting up posters really

sheepdean
08-02-2015, 02:26 PM
In terms of scarcity, the Lost Highway promo matchbooks I almost never see and I have three. But for value I don't have much, probably just YZ vinyl sadly