Page 136 of 263 FirstFirst ... 36 86 126 134 135 136 137 138 146 186 236 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,080 of 7888

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    For fuck's sake, why are you so sure it will suck?

While it might not be Lateralus part 2, I kind of doubt it will "suck."
    I've been listening to NIN since Broken. None of it sucked.

I got Undertow for my 13th birthday in '93, and have been a huge fan ever since. Similarly, none of it has sucked.

Don't get me wrong: I actually ENJOY your grim attitude, and always have. It's entertaining as fuck, and quite singular.

But dude, I don't think this record is going to suck.
    In fact, I expect it to be pretty badass.

Now, YOU may wind up thinking it sucks, but these things are subjective.
    Why do I think it will suck?

1) Maynard is 55 years old this April. Hanging out with his winery, counting his millions. He's not the angry young man who made Ænima anymore
    2)
    They have not put out an album in 13 years. How many bands go 13 years between albums and release something brilliant? Faith No More is my favorite band and I admit their 2015 album (1st in 18 years) was shit compared to their previous stuff
    3) The new APC album was an utter shitbomb and an embarrassment which doesn't bode well
    4)
    I can't fathom any scenario where this album is going to be some brilliant masterpiece. More likely will be like the new Pumpkins album. Just an utter disgrace and steaming pile of shit. At BEST it will be mediocre. I think Tool fan boys need to pray it isn't an embarrassment at this point. Just hope its passable and that the new songs sound like 10,000 Days B sides

The Cure are one of my favorite bands and I am dreading their "new" album for fear it will pick up where the last shitbomb 4:13 Dream left off 11 years ago....Sometimes its best to let sleeping dogs lie
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 02-08-2019 at 03:29 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    At least this confirms there is going to be a special packaging on the CD again. Was worried they would phone it in with a regular jewel case, but looks like they're gonna try and top the 10K days album packaging. Nice.

My only concern here is, if they don't drop the record til, say - June or July, what are they going to play on their tour that starts in May? Are they just going to play the 10K days setlist again or are they going to start playing new material before anyone hears the studio versions? Seems silly to go out tour at this point and NOT play new material...
    Maybe they will perform the full version of “Descending”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    So many people so excited to listen to an album that will most likely suck. Hate to break it to the people expecting Lateralus Part 2.....Not happening
    I don't mean to offend, but why shit all over people's excitement? If it turns out to be amazing, will you eat your words? And we already got Lateralus part 2 (that was 10,000 Days), so this would be Lateralus part 3 (or 10,000 Days part 2).

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    (or 10,000 Days part 2).
    BITE YOUR TONGUE

Lost Keys & Rosetta Stoned but a two-disc album version.

*shudders*

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

1) Maynard is 55 years old this April. Hanging out with his winery, counting his millions. He's not the angry young man who made Ænima anymore
    2)
    They have not put out an album in 13 years. How many bands go 13 years between albums and release something brilliant? Faith No More is my favorite band and I admit their 2015 album (1st in 18 years) was shit compared to their previous stuff
    3) The new APC album was an utter shitbomb and an embarrassment which doesn't bode well
    4)
    I can't fathom any scenario where this album is going to be some brilliant masterpiece. More likely will be like the new Pumpkins album. Just an utter disgrace and steaming pile of shit. At BEST it will be mediocre. I think Tool fan boys need to pray it isn't an embarrassment at this point. Just hope its passable and that the new songs sound like 10,000 Days B sides

The Cure are one of my favorite bands and I am dreading their "new" album for fear it will pick up where the last shitbomb 4:13 Dream left off 11 years ago....Sometimes its best to let sleeping dogs lie
    1. I don't think this has anything to do with whether or not an album can be good. Anyone in any place can make good music. The concept of a tortured artist is becoming more and more outdated as technology allows people to find music that doesn't have a sad backstory that a label thinks would make a good selling point.
    2. This is the best argument you have. Many bands don't bounce back after such a long gap, but it has happened. This doesn't count them out, it just means people should be cautiously optimistic.
    3. The only factor that is the same between APC and Tool is MJK, and he's released plenty of good Puscifer albums since 10,000 Days.
    4. It probably won't be their best album, not necessarily because of the wait, but because their best is just so good. But people still go crazy for songs off of Opiate, an album that's so simplistic and watered down from what the rest of their work is that it's hardly even the same band. I doubt that they'll make anything worse than it after the 20+ years of experience they've had since.

I'm not saying that it will absolutely be good, I have no way of knowing, but I am saying that you're being too harsh on a band that has never had a bad release. I mean, 10,000 Days only gets dogged on because it's a Tool album and people expected more, not because it wasn't good. If it was their first album, people would have gone apeshit over how great it was. The most likely way this could disappoint would be along those lines, not it being a terrible album.

In summary: I hope you're wrong.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I just want something I will enjoy listening to and exploring. If it interests me enough to enjoy, I will not be disappointed. If I come at this album expecting the greatest rock album I have ever heard, well I'm a dumbass.

Forget the 13 years between albums. At least we are getting new music, period. Imagine no more albums at all or no more Tool tours. Tool fans are insufferable.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    I just want something I will enjoy listening to and exploring. If it interests me enough to enjoy, I will not be disappointed. If I come at this album expecting the greatest rock album I have ever heard, well I'm a dumbass.

Forget the 13 years between albums. At least we are getting new music, period. Imagine no more albums at all or no more Tool tours.
    Pretty much this. I don’t expect a dramatic impact like Aenima would’ve done to me when I was 19 years old. I also don’t expect MJK belting out screams like he did in the early ‘90’s. Just hope I like The album, even better if it catches my attention immediately.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    ^ Agreed. I dunno about anyone else, I’m just expecting a Tool album. I’m not expecting it to be the second coming of Christ or anything. I’m expecting to be surprised, be that for better or worse. That’s about it. And it’s certainly not being hyped up other than the band (seemingly??) feeling good about its progress.

Considering we know next to nothing at all about the music itself at this point, let alone have any guarantee of when it’s coming, assuming that it’ll be absolute shit or that it’ll be the greatest album ever made are both wildly uneducated and will probably lead to disappointment. Even Maynard’s update is still PRETTY VAGUE and completely subject to change because it’s a freaking tweet. It’ll be out when it’s ready. If it implodes and takes another year, that’s just what it is.

There’s just no reason to be so bitter about it, that’s all I’m saying. Because we’ve all been on the outside looking in on this entire debacle for 13 years, one has to realize how little we can possibly know about what’s going on with this record outside of what’s been spoonfed to us one bit at a time, or what our own assumptions have lead us to think. Like be real, who knows more about this project: The members of Tool and everyone they’re working with, or impatient internet people who have been looking from outside through a window for 13 years? We know nothing. No reason to be so bitter about something we don’t know. You gotta let that “it’s been 13 years” shit go.

It’s one thing to go into something with low expectations, it’s another to just outright think it’ll be shit without even hearing a single second of it. Maybe it’ll suck! I dunno! It’s kiiinda hard to say without hearing it.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 02-08-2019 at 07:48 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Give me enough oooo's with soft melody and I'll be smitten.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    But people still go crazy for songs off of Opiate, an album that's so simplistic and watered down from what the rest of their work is that it's hardly even the same band.
    I would gladly accept Opiate Part 2

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Give me enough oooo's with soft melody and I'll be smitten.
    You are now smitten...

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

2)
    4)

Why do I think you're wrong?

1) Being successful has literally nothing to do with it. He's still cynical. He's still intelligent. He still sees the absolute shitfest that is much of America (and the world at large). He's still angry about it. Literally the only thing different about him now is that he's not struggling financially.
    2) How many bands go 13 years between albums, period? Small sample size. Not at all indicative of future results.
    3) That's literally just your opinion. An awful lot of people disagree with it. No use arguing that you're "wrong" because musical taste is subjective.
    4) You think it will suck because...you think it will suck. Not really a reason, but okay then. I find it equal parts puzzling and hilarious that you can't fathom any scenario in which four extremely talented musicians can piece together an album that doesn't suck over the course of thirteen years.

Here's my prediction: no matter what, you'll think it sucks. It could get universally positive praise. It could be number one on the charts. It could have a sold out tour. And you'll still be here, saying it sucks. And you're entitled to do so. I think you've just made your mind up already and an album that blows everyone else here away will still sound like shit to you because you want ​it to suck.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Maybe you're totally right and he isn't angry like that and the music won't reflect that earlier feeling. Now that he's older, has a young daughter, is married to someone and seems happy (based on a few maybe instagram photos....whatever), started a wine business because, among other things, I believe he said said he wanted a family legacy to pass down, friends or people he admired had to have died since then, and no doubt he thinks about how he's not going to be here forever...maybe, just maybe, we'll get more reflective and extistential music like Parabol/Parabola and Lateralis.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I would gladly accept Opiate Part 2
    That would be Undertow. Check it out one of these days!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    How many bands go 13 years between albums and release something brilliant?
    My Bloody Valentine, Swans, Slowdive, Primus, The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Avalanches, Bauhaus, Failure, Lead Into Gold. Whether the new album is good or not, I don't see any reason for the amount of time in between to play a factor.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    My Bloody Valentine, Swans, Slowdive, Primus, The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Avalanches, Bauhaus, Failure, Lead Into Gold. Whether the new album is good or not, I don't see any reason for the amount of time in between to play a factor.
    I'd like to add Faith No More and Brujeria to this list.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    I'd like to add Faith No More and Brujeria to this list.
    Also Bowie.
    Also i want another weird stopmotion music video.
    And i don't believe they'd call it Omegus, they got plenty of reserved titles, some of which don't suck:

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Not a band, but there was 12 years, 11 months between Drukqs and Syro.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    My Bloody Valentine
    Swans
    Slowdive
    Primus
    The Jesus and Mary Chain
    The Avalanches
    Bauhaus
    Failure
    Lead Into Gold
    Faith No More
    Brujeria
    David Bowie
    Aphex Twin

This list almost makes me feel bands or musicians should take a 10+ year hiatus.
    Post-2010 Swans is by far my favorite period of them, Failure's two latest studio efforts were very strong, Bowie's 2013 comeback was unexpected and pleasant.
    mbv and Syro were also very enjoyable.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Portishead
    A Perfect Circle (duh)
    King Crimson
    Roger Waters
    David Gilmour
    At the Drive in

RevCo is the only negative example I can think of. Also Pink Floyd, but it's pretty much Rick tribute album so a little unfair to compare.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Lol at this thread, people getting so worked up and such a sense of entitlement, this is why MJK is such a dick.

I love those fake covers, especially "Bethlehem Abortion Clinic" and "The Other White Meat"

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I can’t be the only one who prefers later Records by bands, the sound becomes more full and the advances in musical technology and production enables better sounding records, as opposed to earlier stuff that can often have vastly different production. Producing the ideas and tracks are solid of course. I don’t think we should be concerned about them pulling this one out of the bag.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Slowdive is the only “comeback” album needed to negate the “it’s been too long” point

and maybe it’s just me, but I was underwhelmed by 10k days at first listen, but it’s grown on me a lot. I think it’s probably the most mature thing lyrically/tonally they’ve done. I’d personally like less petulance and angst really
    Last edited by Jinsai; 02-09-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    I can’t be the only one who prefers later Records by bands, the sound becomes more full and the advances in musical technology and production enables better sounding records, as opposed to earlier stuff that can often have vastly different production.
    I don't think musical technology and production are analogous to quality / enjoyment of music at all though. There's no shortage of really, really boring music that was well produced. And there's plenty of great music that doesn't "sound good" by contemporary technological standards. I think TDS blows the doors off of the new NIN trilogy despite being 25 years old. Portrait of an American Family and Antichrist Superstar are WAY better than anything Manson has recorded post-2000. And I've got no shortage of 40-50 year old albums that I like way more than any of the shit that Kanye or Ariana Grande have released recently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I don't think musical technology and production are analogous to quality / enjoyment of music at all though. There's no shortage of really, really boring music that was well produced. And there's plenty of great music that doesn't "sound good" by contemporary technological standards. I think TDS blows the doors off of the new NIN trilogy despite being 25 years old. Portrait of an American Family and Antichrist Superstar are WAY better than anything Manson has recorded post-2000. And I've got no shortage of 40-50 year old albums that I like way more than any of the shit that Kanye or Ariana Grande have released recently.
    It really depends on how you use the technology to be honest; past technological limitations may encourage musicians to pursue creative alternatives while contemporary innovations may expand your horizons. Sure, the production quality and trends change, yet it doesn't make much difference if the mentality itself is limiting. It also depends on how you prefer (or how "saturated" in this case) your records; some people love rawness and even flat-out lo-fi while some prefer crystal-clear production. I'm not really comment on the comparisons between the new trilogy and TDS (TDS is still among my fave records of all time); however, I can say that advancements in technology did transform NIN's signature sound into something remarkable on its own, because Trent sculpts his sounds well.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinspots View Post
    bwahaha omg thank you for that, i nearly died laughing. I haven't seen one of those Downfall scenes for a very long time.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    have always liked Tool but never been a sort of hardcore fan, one of those bands that always been in the background forever for me sort of like Radiohead or Bjork, always sort of liked them. seen em a few times, at a few festivals, but would never buy a ticket for their solo shows, but liked them enough, they have a few good tracks.
    i saw them on May 26th 2001 on the Lateralus tour at one of those shitty ozzfest tours in the noughties they were mindblowing.
    i was wondering where they went, 13 years is a long time. sometimes a long hiatus is good for a band, one of my fav bands WIRE prove this.
    Last edited by Exocet; 02-13-2019 at 01:41 AM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinspots View Post
    Someone needs to do a Spanish laughing guy version of Tool album update

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

The account has a lot of other legit MJK stuff on it, so I think it's a pretty well-connected page. (sorry not sorry)