Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Theft Auto

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    SICK. Thanks for sharing. May's a brutal month for games to drop though, it's right when summer here in Vancouver is kinda in full bloom and the last thing I wanna do is sit at home on the couch. Release this shit now lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, we'll figure out tomorrow whether or not any of this is true. Game Informer's digital edition of their December issue has an 18-page cover story on GTA V. I'll try to link to it tomorrow if I can find scans, which shouldn't be too hard.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    So, apparently a former Rockerstar employee is leaking out GTA 5 information. Here's a link. Hard to say how much of it is true, but if it is true, this is shaping up to be a really awesome title.

http://m.ign.com/wikis/grand-theft-a...mors_and_Leaks

Sorry it's so huge! Thought I'd save everyone having to click the link. Also, trailer #2 is coming next week!
    A lot of that stuff was posted way back in March:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...etails-leaked/

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Well, balls. At least now I know. Thanks!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm pretty pumped for this...for the longest time I was fairly indifferent...played through GTA IV once and swiftly traded it back in. Only played multiplayer for like 5 minutes and thought it was fairly mediocre. Everything I've heard of this though sounds great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thing is, IV's multiplayer was fun when it first came out and you could get full matches, then the community quickly got spread out by all the different game modes.

But those few times I got two full teams in a TDM was magic. Not to mention all the crazy fun to be had in free roam and GTA Race.

What they do with multiplayer in V is what I'm most excited about!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    My goodness...

new Game Informer article.

• GTA 5 "evolves nearly every mechanic" found in previous games in the series.
    • Features the biggest open world in the series' history - GTA 5's world is bigger than the worlds of Red Dead Redemption, San Andreas and GTA IV combined.
    • Three playable characters who you can switch between "at nearly any time".
    • Each character has their own specific abilities and story arc, with all three stories intertwined.
    • Camera zooms out to a "Google Earth-style" perspective when switching characters.
    • Character 1 - Michael, an ex-bank robber in his early 40s who retired after making a deal with the FIB. He has two teenage children and hates his wife Amanda. He's also the narrator of the original GTA 5 trailer.
    • Character 2 - Trevor, a former war veteran and a "drugged out psychopath". An experienced pilot.
    • Character 3 - Franklin, a repo man in his mid 20s described as a "young and ambitious hustler".
    • Certain characters from GTA IV and Episodes From Liberty City will also make an appearance. Rockstar's Dan Houser says we'll never see characters from the PS2 era, though. "The five PS2 games are one universe, and this is the high definition universe, so they don't co-exist," he says.
    • No major actors cast as any of the main characters.
    • Focus on making more diverse missions.
    • Heists and bank robberies are a big theme to the game.
    • Characters will work together during missions, and you can switch between characters mid-mission to fulfill different roles. For example, during a chase sequence you can pilot the getaway helicopter as Trevor, snipe pursuing pilots as Franklin, or fire an assault rifle as Michael.
    • Missions will have a "very diiferent tone depending on who's on them, how many people are on them, and how much we're using switches", says Houser.
    • Even when you're not controlling them, each character will still go about their own business across Los Santos. "You may be surprised by the situations they find themselves in should you switch back to check up on them," says Game Informer.
    • Big advances to lighting and shader model. Greater draw distance.
    • Improved vehicle handling and physics - "The cars hold to the ground better... It feels more like a racing game," Houser says.
    • More vehicles than in any GTA to date, including BMXs, mountain bikes, road bikes, dirt bikes, cars, trucks, helicopters, planes, ATVs and Jet Skis, but vehicle manufacturers are still fictional.
    • Fighter jets appear to be in. One screenshot shows a fighter equipped with missiles, as a helicopter explodes in the background.
    • Improved shooting and melee combat. Melee combat "never going to be as big a deal as shooting," though, warns Houser.
    • Pedestrians are fully mo-capped and more interactive.
    • You can rappel down buildings, although it's not confirmed whether this is specific to certain missions.
    • Los Santos is described as a "huge and diverse city", combining the best of Red Dead Redemption's "large open expanses" with GTA IV's "densely packed urban environment".
    • Areas in the game world include beachfronts, mountains, the wilderness, a "Salton Sea" region, a military base and the suburbs.
    • GTA: San Andreas was about gang culture. GTA 5 is about capturing the "contemporary culture of LA".
    • There will be a "vibrant and fun" economy, but you won't be able to buy property.
    • A variety of different side missions and "more sophisticated" minigames, including yoga, triathlons, Jet Skiing, base-jumping, tennis and golf. There's a full golf course in the game. You can go scuba diving along the coastline of Los Santos, or go to the gym on the seafront.
    • Each character will have unique hobbies, including "one or two key minigame activities per character".
    • San Andreas' RPG-like player customization is still absent, but you can customize the clothing of each character.
    • GTA IV's romance feature has been removed.
    • Like in GTA IV, players can make friends and hang out with certain NPCs, including Michael's wife Amanda and son Jimmy, Franklin's "crazy friend" Lamar, and Trevor's mate Ron.
    • GTA IV's mobile phone returns, but a lot of its features have been altered. You can use it to access the internet.
    • Dynamic missions - hidden missions dotted around the game world. "Going off-road in the desert, you may come across two parked cars and a sea of dead bodies around them... Investigate if you want."

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    The size of the open world sounds fucking INSANE. That is so big!

I hope it doesn't slow roll the begining like GTA 4 did though. that was such a pain.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quite a lot added.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Holy shit. Is there a release date set yet? I haven't paid much attention since the trailer came out :/

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This is exciting stuff, I loved the PS2 era gTa's but IV's graphic style just turned me off. This one is gonna be great though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanez33 View Post
    Holy shit. Is there a release date set yet? I haven't paid much attention since the trailer came out :/
    Spring 2013.
    My guess is late May, which would give them a full six months for promotion and whatnot, starting now.

I am super excited about the map size and the multiple protagonist approach. Sounds like this will be a great way to give us access to different parts of the map right from the get-go. I'm a little disappointed that there's only one major city but I understand why they wanted to devote their attention to a fully-realized Los Santos, and I'm sure there will be other communities to explore (suburbs, desert/wilderness towns). I guess I just wanted to re-experience the feeling of traveling from one big area to another. I hope there will still be lots to do outside the city.

The fact that the GI story focused mostly on the multiple protagonist part and only skimmed the surface of the game's details makes me feel like Rockstar is definitely trying to keep things under wraps. They give you just enough to whet your appetite but want to hold back so you can discover things for yourself the first time you play. It's going to be hard for me not to be obsessively searching for new info, though. Maybe I need to set a limit, like maybe one day a month I'll look for updates... I don't want to burn myself out before playing like I did with IV.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpenoctem View Post
    Spring 2013.
    My guess is late May, which would give them a full six months for promotion and whatnot, starting now.

I am super excited about the map size and the multiple protagonist approach. Sounds like this will be a great way to give us access to different parts of the map right from the get-go. I'm a little disappointed that there's only one major city but I understand why they wanted to devote their attention to a fully-realized Los Santos, and I'm sure there will be other communities to explore (suburbs, desert/wilderness towns). I guess I just wanted to re-experience the feeling of traveling from one big area to another. I hope there will still be lots to do outside the city.

The fact that the GI story focused mostly on the multiple protagonist part and only skimmed the surface of the game's details makes me feel like Rockstar is definitely trying to keep things under wraps. They give you just enough to whet your appetite but want to hold back so you can discover things for yourself the first time you play. It's going to be hard for me not to be obsessively searching for new info, though. Maybe I need to set a limit, like maybe one day a month I'll look for updates... I don't want to burn myself out before playing like I did with IV.
    Grand Theft Auto is my favorite game series by far, I usually try to avoid reading up too much before playing them other than a few little bits of info here and there like this article. Definitely gotta stay away from early reviews and gameplay videos, though.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    That sounds awesome. I can't even really fathom how big that game world is going to be, each of those three games were huge by themselves, this is going to be nuts.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    GTAIV bored me to death. Give me a new RDR any day.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I Agree, GTA4 was boring as hell. Especially after following something like San Andreas which felt larger than life in every respect. It was also so god damn fun, there was so much to do it wasn't possible for it to get boring.

GTA4 was a huge let down for me, but I'm still anticipating GTA5

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I loved GTA4. A lot more down to earth than previous games. San Andreas was definitely the most ambitious of the lot though. GTAIV went with the realism aspect unlike the past games that were a bit ridiculous. They had some huge shoes to fill after San Andreas though.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I kinda like that they're revisiting Los Santos and a few things that made San Andreas a great game, but choosing to place it "in a different universe." Especially after reading all of that. It sounds like they're taking the best parts from their best games and combining them all into one Frankenstein of a video game. I just hope that it lives up to all the hype we're going it. But I think I trust Rockstar on this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    But I think I trust Rockstar on this one.
    Rockstar and Valve are the only developers I fully trust any more.

GTA is their baby, they'll fucking nail this.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Im sure theyll nail it, but the chara ter swotching thing seems like a huge risk.

And i cant stress enough the importance of not slow rolling it. Ive never been able to get through GTA 4 because it drags so much in the begining and then after putting it down for a while a roomate will pick it up and derail my progress... forcing me to start over...

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tell your roommate not to be a dick, or make another gamertag for him to use or something.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm happy they're going back to Los Santos. A lot of new possibilities. But i'll definitely be missing San Fierro and Las Venturas though. They're going to be re-releasing Vice City (if they haven't already) and San Andreas on PS3. Pretty safe bet i'll be scooping those up again. Never finished them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    I'm happy they're going back to Los Santos. A lot of new possibilities. But i'll definitely be missing San Fierro and Las Venturas though.
    I felt this way at first but I would rather them pick one city and do it right than try for three again. Especially since those three were really just small sketches, caricatures of the real cities without much life to them. Plus, if they tried for all three again, it would basically be like San Andreas 2 on high-def, and they never repeat themselves.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    New trailer at 8am PST tomorrow. Forget my last post, I'm all over GTA week at IGN. Next week I'll start keeping away from additional info.

*edit* oh lawd, yisss.

Last edited by ibanez33; 11-14-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Any one get a Just Cause 2 feeling from the trailer??

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    If that is what it will look like on our obsolete gaming consoles, I am going to be pretty surprised.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Grand Theft Auto

Why wouldn't it be? It was developed for this gen after all. And developers are still figuring out new tricks for the current gen consoles. So it's possible for it to look that good on console. Might take up a few discs for 360 though, like LA Noire did.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Agreed, obsolete? Not quite, though I of course get the sentiment....it's gettin' close lol. One thing I noticed is the draw rate...man in some of the still shots I've seen you can see the detail of buildings across the fuckin' city...

Trailer is hot.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Rockstar explicitly stated they were developing it for the current generation of consoles because they're well away of the exact capabilities and limitations of the 360 and PS3. If they were developing for new consoles they would definitely have some issues to work out, and release would probably end up being sometime 2014. This way they can make the game exactly as they want it and send off the current generation of consoles with a really stunning game while they get the wheels turning on a PC port and their first project for the next gen consoles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yep. It looks stunning. Small improvements on lighting and draw distance add tons of realism. There's no reason for this to come out on next-gen. I'm excited to see them push the current gen to its outer limits. Map size alone tells me they've achieved this goal.