Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kony 2012

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I suppose it's better this has happened now, rather than a later after which time he might have been afforded some actual power.

Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    A distracting sideshow. Look over here at the mentally ill person acting funny! Doesn't it feel great to build people up, then tear them down with brutal swiftness? Let's all move on to the next TMZ casualty as soon as possible.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    A distracting sideshow. Look over here at the mentally ill person acting funny! Doesn't it feel great to build people up, then tear them down with brutal swiftness? Let's all move on to the next TMZ casualty as soon as possible.
    You'd know.

I have absolutely no problem at all laughing at this irresponsible fuckwit during his meltdown.

Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    Granted, he wanted the spotlight on himself to begin with... so, sure, let's keep the focus on the handsome white guy doing stuff instead of the problem; it's more satisfying to feed our cult of personality than talk about the issues anyhow.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    This meltdown looks like what happens after reprogramming. Monarch program anybody?

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Not long before the news of the meltdown hit, Boing Boing ran this bit: Revealed! Kony 2012's sinister Musical Comedy roots. I couldn't even make it partway through the first video.

The ground-slapping of the meltdown video reminds me of videos I've seen on poetv.com of dudes on PCP. Naked and slapping the ground.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    holy crap...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Okay, well, after reading a bunch more articles posted here, and on Al Jazeera I think I've come over to the side of IC being well-intentioned idiots. Plus that dance video Levi posted was pretty horrific. However, I still have some empathy for the guy. As valid as the Kony 2012 criticism is, it can't be easy to have the entire world shitting on you (yes, yes, I get it, it's his own fault). Even if drug or drink were involved, the guy pretty clearly cracked.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Not long before the news of the meltdown hit, Boing Boing ran this bit: Revealed! Kony 2012's sinister Musical Comedy roots. I couldn't even make it partway through the first video.

The ground-slapping of the meltdown video reminds me of videos I've seen on poetv.com of dudes on PCP. Naked and slapping the ground.
    omg!! madness talk about devaluing the message! I thought the news about Russell going mad might have been a smear campaign, seems not. Idiot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I must admit the first time I watched the KONY 2012 video they had me convinced.

Now I feel stupid.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    E-mail I just got from the IC newsletter thing:

Dear IC Family,

As you may have heard, our co-founder, Jason Russell, was hospitalized Thursday, March 15th after an incident brought on by exhaustion, dehydration and two of the most intense weeks of his life. Along with the spotlight came senseless, personal attacks against him, his wife and his children. He's in good hands now, but please keep him in your thoughts and prayers as he recovers.

Though this is a difficult time for us personally, it will not stop the Invisible Children team from pursuing our mission of stopping LRA violence in central Africa. We have made huge commitments and we are going to see them through.

Below is a video from our CEO, Ben Keesey, and a written message from Jason’s wife. Please take the time to watch the video and read the message.

Sincerely,
    The Invisible Children Management Team

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Exhaustion and dehydration is THE euphemism for drugged out meltdown. Why can't people be honest? It's a perfectly acceptable reason for running around nekkid in broad day light. The alternative is a mental condition which even in this day and age is less socially acceptable.

I guess my ADD was good for me, cause I saw the Kony video was 30 minutes and decided, at the time, against given it my time. I guess I should be glad I did.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    It could be a breakdown though. People who do that regress to a child-like state, which accounts for the stripping, vandalism and sexualised behavior. The Id takes over here, and when acting out the instincts of a baby his adult self control could have gone out of the window. This doesn't necessarily require an underlining mental health issue either.

Quote Originally Posted by IC
    Along with the spotlight came senseless, personal attacks against him, his wife and his children.
    Patronising fuckers.

Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    But laughing at him is okay? What bearing does any of this have on the discussion again?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Honestly, I don't think it's drugs. Same thing happened to my cousin when he had a mental breakdown. He went around town nude talking crazy, trying to start fights with people. His doctor had to rebalance his medication.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I couldn't make it through the video either. That is some mind blowing stuff right there.

Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    It's okay to admit to being caught up in the fever. I felt a swell of emotional empathy on first viewing, too. We just need to make sure rationality wins at the end of the day.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Botley, you keep at this with comments that are cryptic to me. Can you please clarify your position?

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It's okay to admit to being caught up in the fever. I felt a swell of emotional empathy on first viewing, too. We just need to make sure rationality wins at the end of the day.
    From a journalistic standpoint, that is a giant fucking cop-out. The Daisey/Apple example is particularly infuriating. If you want to make a case about something terrible, you have to be absolutely spot-on. When going up against giants, your credibility will be assailed at every opportunity. Valid criticisms will probably get lost in the wash, and the last thing you want to do is provide ammunition against your own credibility. If you're willing to throw accuracy to the side in the interest of self-promotion, you should be well aware of what you're getting into. These aren't Star Wars Kids or dudes with schizophrenia going to their town hall to complain about a rogue helicopter pilot. Mike Daisey and Invisible Children are Average Homeboys. They wanted to be famous, and didn't really care if they made themselves look stupid in the process.

Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    The situation is really complicated. The articles I've posted all make salient points. I don't like Invisible Children and the picture they are painting of the conflict, but people are reacting to them with unwarranted self-righteousness and personal ridicule. They do have charitable aims, from what I can tell. All this sudden attention they got was for spotlighting a monstrous person comparatively few people knew about, albeit in a misguided and dangerous campaign. They played with fire and are feeling the backlash, plainly. It sort of says more about America and where it's at culturally than it does about anything to do with Africa.

Is the conflict spreading through central Africa cause for concern? Absolutely. What should we collectively do about it, if anything? I don't pretend to know the answer, other than keep educating ourselves and talking/thinking about it.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    It's not complicated at all, botley. These twats have been poking their noses in where they don't belong in a situation that was already under control, and abused the shit out of it for their own gain. Not to mention they've patronised the fuck out of Uganda either.

If they're not completely disingenuous (money, money money- fuck them if that's the case (hint- it probably is)), then they're imbeciles. Imbeciles with the audacity to believe, through whatever Devine providence they think they've inherited, that they should paint an erroneous opinion in mass consciousness of a situation that didn't need their help, that doesn't want it, and moreover, could have conceivably turned into a total clusterfuck (well done, now Africans are now desperately in need of western help) had Russel not had his little cry-baby "help me, I can't hide my closeted nature any longer" moment, scuppering that. Thank fuck.

Thank fuck he doesn't have the metal stamina or ability to follow through on his bullshit. I am delighted he has lost his mind.

They only thought the video would be viewed a couple of thousand times? Then why, in the name of all fuck, is it so obviously the propaganda piece that it is? You don't put something together like that by accident. You don't make something so seriously manipulative unless you want it to stuck. And these pricks arn't idiots- they're funded. There are photographs of them holding Rocket Launchers, standing in front of the Ugandan Army. What the fuck.

How fucking dare they. How dare they, knowing full well the dangers of media virility in the 21st century, and how this can influence popular opinion, especially that of your average fatass American moron youtube user. 1 out of 78 Million. I mean, christ, even the President of Uganda has felt obliged to make a damn video, telling them to fuck off.

I'm delighted Russel has discredited himself- it's integral to the current issue, which is the Invisible Children Kony2012 manipulation of Africa, rather than the "conflict spreading through central Africa".
    Last edited by DF118; 03-20-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You're right. We should all just forget about it.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YKWYA View Post
    You're right. We should all just forget about it.
    Agreed, I thought everyone finally forgot about this. After reviewing new links from posts in this thread..I guess not.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Goebbels would be proud.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

If anyone cares lol i still watched it, couldn't help but be curious.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I'd be pissed if i were trent. I wouldn't want my art anywhere near this propaganda.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by isak View Post
    This video sums everything up perfectly, and is hilarious.
    Charlie Brooker is my hero. Brilliantly summed up