Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Trent leaves shithole website; Professional troll pays $44B to respond with sick burn

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    I feel like this is such a nothingburger. Trent hadn't even used his account in any meaningful way for years, and makes some offhanded comments to an off-topic question on the red carpet which then got turned into a headline. He didn't make a big deal about it.

Yet here we are, still talking about it, with more discussion about this than the 2 new soundtracks released this month. People who haven't posted here for years are coming to the thread to weigh in. Discord and Reddit are still talking about it. I am shocked that this is getting so much attention, but I guess that's what Musk thrives on.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    I feel like this is such a nothingburger. Trent hadn't even used his account in any meaningful way for years, and makes some offhanded comments to an off-topic question on the red carpet which then got turned into a headline. He didn't make a big deal about.

Yet here we are, still talking about it, with more discussion about this than the 2 new soundtracks released this month. People who haven't posted here for years are coming to the thread to weigh in. Discord and Reddit are still talking about it. I am shocked that this is getting so much attention, but I guess that's what Musk thrives on.
    Sure, but first let's not downplay our inherent morbid interest for drama of any kind. Hell, that's why social places thrive, that's what drive the sacro-saint "engagement".

Also, this topic packs a lot of subjects at once : Our relationship with Twitter and social micro-blogging ; our respective views on two celebrities, one that is voluntarily very divisive and the other being the subject of this very forum ; how we deal with the media takeover by mercurial billionaires with an agenda ; the politics of free speech ; the plain instrumentation and appropriation of what we foolishly think of as neutral discussion spaces...

Okay there are two new scores out, but really there's not a lot that can be said about that beside "I like it" or "not my thing". I don't know how many of us are trained musicians, but we don't really have the skills necessary to dissect music to a composition level. I find scores harder to assess than rock albums, as far as I'm concerned.

Honestly, as futile as it is, I'd rather have a discussion about this drama than suffer another NIN spotting where it's just a screengrab of some rando on TV sporting a downward spiral T-shirt in 1998... I get the annoyance, it's childish and petty and as you said, fundamentally a nothingburger. But at least it's something, as poor an excuse as it is.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Having listened to Pretty Hate Machine recently, I think Elon might have a point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What is a twitter? I'm still trying to figure out myspace, this myspace is going to be huge I can tell!

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    no, musk does not have a point. name calling isn’t a point.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    no, musk does not have a point. name calling isn’t a point.
    Name calling in this instance is precisely the point. It's clickbait.

Musk is attempting to stir up any controversy he can to drive business and further traffic to Twitter. It's about as subtle, rehearsed and contrived as Justin Timberlake/Janet Jackson's halftime performance on the Super Bowl.

There's a simple solution: don't click on ANY Twitter link. Not a one. Deprive the site of the oxygen that it needs, and let it become whatever it's going to become, but above all: give it your utter and complete indifference.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teleblaster18 View Post
    There's a simple solution: don't click on ANY Twitter link. Not a one. Deprive the site of the oxygen that it needs, and let it become whatever it's going to become, but above all: give it your utter and complete indifference.
    I must be ahead of the curve; i've been doing this for years.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    I must be ahead of the curve; i've been doing this for years.
    Except for this & a few other music sites I avoid social media. Don't have accounts on any of it & don't miss it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    People love to come into threads about social media websites they don't use and make sure everyone knows they don't use it. You want a medal or something? You want a little handshake from God?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Well in a thread where everyone is saying Twitter is shitty and toxic and shouldn't deserve any clicks, they're participating in the discussion by saying they're satisfied with their decisions.

So if that triggers any negative emotions, that might be your responsibility to deal with that ?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    You want a medal or something? You want a little handshake from God?
    Sure, why not? i'd value it as much as i ever valued a website that was trash long before it was bought out by a billionaire for his own amusement.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I see a lot of you talking like that about Twitter and honestly I don't quite get it. It's shitty compared to what ? As opposed to what ?
    My point is, which online space (or even space at all for that matter) isn't trash, by the same metric ? Tumblr, Facebook, Reddit, Pinterest, TikTok, Instagram, Youtube, Wikipedia... Which one is the safe harbor against which Twitter gets compared and deemed particularly trash ?

Look at the size of the user base, what do you guys expect ? Even here, this speck of antique BBcode dust, we get feuds and trolls and big "The fuck did he just say ?!" moments, and how many active users is that ?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    So if that triggers any negative emotions, that might be your responsibility to deal with that ?
    I thought this thread made it pretty clear that people's negative emotions are for others to deal with.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I've been using the internet for over 20 years. Twitter is as shitty and toxic as the internet has always been, in fact dare I say it was way worse back in the early 2000's. You just gotta stay away from the bad parts of the Internet. Twitter is what it is and that's a website where people post things like anywhere else.

Trent always didn't really like Twitter and I don't blame him, he's a celebrity and reaching out to fans can get real hectic sometimes. I seem to remember he quit Twitter years ago because he was being harassed about his marriage, which is a very understandable move.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 11-30-2022 at 09:55 PM.