Page 51 of 122 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 3654

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I think it's also worthwhile to watch this. It scares the shit out of me as a concept, but it warrants more investigation.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN21S15X

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I understand the concept of herd immunity - the problem is getting there. People - not an insignificant number - will die if we just go "expose yourselves, we need to build immunity!" Yes, in an ideal world we'd all have antibodies. But how many people are you willing to voluntarily sacrifice in order to get there? Does Hallmark make a "thanks for taking one for the team" card that you can give to someone as they die on a ventilator?

Early vaccine work is already promising. But if months and years go by and the virus is outsmarting those efforts, then I think it's time we start thinking about just adapting to the notion that we may have to face this head on and accept that there will be losses. I think it's way too early to be thinking that way though.
    Let's use you and your job as an example here...
    You live off of touring. Let's say, for example, the world's government's do halt all gatherings (including concerts) until a vaccine is in place, and what if, that takes longer than 2 years... what is your opinion on how we should move forward with this? I for one don't want to go 2 years without live music, and I know for a fact you won't either, since it's your source of income.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I know this board isn't about conspiracies and shit, and people tend to want you to leave your tinfoil hat behind when coming to post here, but... the more I read online, the more I can't help but think this all was one big government plan to control the population. It was almost too easy to get everyone to comply like this. A little too easy. Just scary to think how they all have us by the balls like this. They're the ones laughing in the end. Taking our rights away. I know this is unpopular opinion around these next of the woods... but I have a feeling this virus was not natural. There is more going on behind the scenes than they want us to know.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I think it's also worthwhile to watch this. It scares the shit out of me as a concept, but it warrants more investigation.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN21S15X
    Yeah, that's very similar to what I posted above. I posted an article a few messages above saying how our bodies aren't properly developing antibodys to this virus. Could you imagine if we can't get immune to this and it's just going to continue to circulate over and over in the community til we're all wiped out. Scary, scary shit...

Goes back to what I was saying in the post above... man made virus that we can't build immunity to. Scary stuff.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Let's use you and your job as an example here...
    You live off of touring. Let's say, for example, the world's government's do halt all gatherings (including concerts) until a vaccine is in place, and what if, that takes longer than 2 years... what is your opinion on how we should move forward with this? I for one don't want to go 2 years without live music, and I know for a fact you won't either, since it's your source of income.
    Okay, let's use that example.

I can live without luxuries (things I enjoy, but don't need) for two years. That includes concerts. I, as a fan, would be bummed - but I'd live. Music is obviously extremely important to me, but I'd sacrifice attending live shows for the rest of my life if it meant ONE person didn't die as a result. Picture someone being executed on stage at your favorite concert. Really, really think about it. Picture your favorite band. Picture someone from the audience being chosen to come on stage. And picture the singer driving a knife through their heart while screaming "this is for you guys!!" Are you really saying you'd be okay with watching that? If not, then I don't think you'd be okay with swapping lives for concerts either, especially when you're talking about thousands (or more) being lost. And let's be honest, I don't for a second you would actually be okay with that.

As for my livelihood? I'd go the same route that many others are - I'd go off of any liquid savings I had first, while applying for any social services that may be available (which we've already seen to rapidly increase in a time of dire need. My better half is LOSING money by working full time right now versus collecting off the CARES Act). Next, I'd tap into any retirement savings I had - it may bite me down the road, but if I don't even get down the road it's a moot point. And then out of an abundance of fiscal caution I'd probably bite the bullet and apply for any number of essential jobs that are currently available. If you have a high school education in this city, you can find work starting tomorrow.

All of these things I would voluntarily do before I said "you know what? Let people die so I can get my comfy paycheck sooner."
    Last edited by theimage13; 04-11-2020 at 04:07 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Goes back to what I was saying in the post above... man made virus that we can't build immunity to. Scary stuff.
    There is no evidence that this is man made.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Problem is... some virus' don't ever end up getting a vaccine. SARS has been waiting 17 yrs for a vaccine.

Word on the street is, people aren't even developing proper antibody's to this virus anyway. That's why people keep getting reinfected after they have been told they have recovered.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/scie...uestions-about

Who's to say they're going to magically have one ready in a year? If they don't, are the going to pause life itself for 5 years? No they won't. Musicians make money touring, nobody buys music. That'll be the death of the music industry as we know it alone.

I saw a video with a scientist that said the world fucked up with this "social distancing" and it's only prolonging the virus and it could go on for years at this rate.

EDIT: Here's the video:

I bet Boris Johnson is reconsidering his position on this

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Sturgill Simpson has test positive for COVID-19

https://pitchfork.com/news/sturgill-...19/?verso=true

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I know this board isn't about conspiracies and shit, and people tend to want you to leave your tinfoil hat behind when coming to post here, but... the more I read online, the more I can't help but think this all was one big government plan to control the population. It was almost too easy to get everyone to comply like this. A little too easy. Just scary to think how they all have us by the balls like this. They're the ones laughing in the end. Taking our rights away. I know this is unpopular opinion around these next of the woods... but I have a feeling this virus was not natural. There is more going on behind the scenes than they want us to know.
    No, no, no.
    This thing is very similar to other coronavirus we've already seen. It has differences compared to SARS, but it's very similar. Honestly, this thing is so complex, and I know people are used to assuming the worst....

But as a trained molecular biologist, there's no evidence of genetic tampering. You have to have vectors/ means to alter the RNA sequence, and those vectors leave signatures behind... this is just nature taking it's course. Seriously.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I was just agreeing with you and then you have to go all conspiracy!
    @theimage13 You really think no deaths are caused by economic depressions? Not to mention the amount of child \ domestic violence that will go on if there is a years long isolation policy. I know it’s not exactly the same but isolating people in prison is considered torture and there must be a reason for that

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Okay, let's use that example.

I can live without luxuries (things I enjoy, but don't need) for two years. That includes concerts. I, as a fan, would be bummed - but I'd live. Music is obviously extremely important to me, but I'd sacrifice attending live shows for the rest of my life if it meant ONE person didn't die as a result. Picture someone being executed on stage at your favorite concert. Really, really think about it. Picture your favorite band. Picture someone from the audience being chosen to come on stage. And picture the singer driving a knife through their heart while screaming "this is for you guys!!" Are you really saying you'd be okay with watching that? If not, then I think don't you'd be okay with swapping concerts for lives either, especially when you're talking about thousands (or more) being lost. And let's be honest, I don't for a second you would actually be okay with that.

As for my livelihood? I'd go the same route that many others are - I'd go off of any liquid savings I had first, while applying for any social services that may be available (which we've already seen to rapidly increase in a time of dire need. My better half is LOSING money by working full time right now versus collecting off the CARES Act). Next, I'd tap into any retirement savings I had - it may bite me down the road, but if I don't even get down the road it's a moot point. And then out of an abundance of fiscal caution I'd probably bite the bullet and apply for any number of essential jobs that are currently available. If you have a high school education in this city, you can find work starting tomorrow.

All of these things I would voluntarily do before I said "you know what? Let people die so I can get my comfy paycheck sooner."
    I mean, when you put it like that, obviously I wouldn't want to go to a show if it mean lives were going to be sacrificed for my own pleasure. That's messed up.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I was just agreeing with you and then you have to go all conspiracy!
    @theimage13 You really think no deaths are caused by economic depressions? Not to mention the amount of child \ domestic violence that will go on if there is a years long isolation policy. I know it’s not exactly the same but isolating people in prison is considered torture and there must be a reason for that
    Hahahaha. Yeah, this board doesn't like conspiracies lol.
    I usually know better than to bring that crap up. Just wanted to see what other people thought. But yeah... nature made virus. It's all good guys. Carry on. I'm not usually a tinfoil hat person myself, I couldn't keep the argument going even if I tried. I just follow movie, music and video games religiously lol... I couldn't even square off in a political debate to save my life. Want to argue about the top 10 super NES games? I'm your man! Lol

I'm just really, really bored right now cuz I'm suffering at work and there are 20 mins in between calls and I have nothing to do but stare at a wall now that I'm working from home and don't have anyone to talk to.

However, someone mentioned their new co-worker was a cat. I have that co-worker here sleeping behind me right now too.

Honestly, I wish I was a cat ir dog right now. They don't care about the pandemic. It's business as usual for them.

As for your point to theimage13,
    200% agree there. If they coop us up inside like chickens, going to be mass suicides that will claim more lives than the virus. We already are having more people jump in front of the trains here these days... when there is "breaking news" about a medical emergency here at the "train station" that's code word for someone jumping in front of the train. It's really sad that people are resorting to killing themselves over the virus, but it's understandable. Taking everyone's rights away and not knowing if/when anything will ever get back to normal again is a frightening thought. Who wants to live in a controlled/locked down society for the rest of their life.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 04-11-2020 at 04:32 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I usually know better than to bring that crap up. Just wanted to see what other people thought. But yeah... nature made virus. It's all good guys. Carry on. I'm not usually a tinfoil hat person myself, I couldn't keep the argument going even if I tried. I just follow movie, music and video games religiously lol... I couldn't even square off in a political debate to save my life. Want to argue about the top 10 super NES games? I'm your man! Lol

I'm just really, really bored right now cuz I'm suffering at work and there are 20 mins in between calls and I have nothing to do but stare at a wall now that I'm working from home and don't have anyone to talk to.

However, someone mentioned their new co-worker was a cat. I have that co-worker here sleeping behind me right now too.

Honestly, I wish I was a cat ir dog right now. They don't care about the pandemic. It's business as usual for them.

As for your point to theimage13,
    200% agree there. If they coop us up inside like chickens, going to be mass suicides that will claim more lives than the virus. We already are having more people jump in front of the trains here these days... when there is "breaking news" about a medical emergency here at the "train station" that's code word for someone jumping in front of the train. It's really sad that people are resorting to killing themselves over the virus, but it's understandable. Taking everyone's rights away and not knowing if/when anything will ever get back to normal again is a frightening thought. Who wants to live in a controlled/locked down society for the rest of their life.
    Yeah I blame the X Files for mainstreaming conspiracies I really do.

but my issues with what is happening are personal stories from people I know. My kids are autistic and I’m part of several autism Facebook groups where people are relating shitty situations. My family is in a better situation than a lot actually but I couldn’t handle a year of this. I think there will be civil unrest if it goes on more than six months

anyway I gave some money to several charities in the uk dealing with domestic and child abuse and I donated blood a few days ago to feel like I was being of some use!

anyway chin up and good luck

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I live right next to a street full of small businesses. I live right behind one that I adore. I don't want those businesses to go down. I want to watch live concerts too. I want to go sit my old ass in a movie theater in December to watch Denis Villeneuve's Dune. I want all of that. But to get all of that, what I need is people who are healthy, not dead.

Right now, I can be fined for being in my mother's car because we don't live in the same apartment. It's not fun. Nor funny. She's going to be alone for Easter, tomorrow. It's a huge deal for her because she is used to have her kids and grandkids with her at Easter. She still cooks for us, way too much food. But tomorrow, she'll be alone. She's 78 and still mourning the death of my brother in July last year. Now, I'm not really hot on family reunion but I'm heartbroken for her.

But right now, she's alive. And she'll stay alive if we do what we're told to do.

Maybe, hopefully, this shit will go away on its own like the 1918 influenza pandemic did. And I'll get to see Dune in theater. And my mom will get to have her family around her at Christmas and she'll bake way too much food.

Perhaps right now what we have to do is to live in the present. Because we don't know what the future holds, duh. At the end on January, we were making fun of people calling for the cancellation of the Olympics. Look where we are now.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    a great video about how this, and other similar diseases came to be, and how we can at least hope to diminish outbreaks like this in the future. warning: contains graphic animal footage

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    At the end on January, we were making fun of people calling for the cancellation of the Olympics. Look where we are now.
    I read an article the other day that Japan is now hesitant to even move forward with he summer 2021 date... my, my... they did a complete 180 flip didn't they? They were so adamant that 2020 was happening and now they go and release a statement saying may not even happen next summer.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Just the ones for which there is, y'know, no evidence whatsoever. Like this 5G horseshit.

If they coop us up inside like chickens, going to be mass suicides that will claim more lives than the virus. We already are having more people jump in front of the trains here these days... when there is "breaking news" about a medical emergency here at the "train station" that's code word for someone jumping in front of the train. It's really sad that people are resorting to killing themselves over the virus, but it's understandable. Taking everyone's rights away and not knowing if/when anything will ever get back to normal again is a frightening thought. Who wants to live in a controlled/locked down society for the rest of their life.
    Hi, welcome to late stage capitalism??
    Last edited by botley; 04-11-2020 at 09:26 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    You're putting the cart before the horse. People in power will always exploit a tragedy if they are able to and have the will to do so. That's nothing new. The people that want you to believe that this is some grand conspiracy are the ones you should be afraid of, because they're just as manipulative as the government.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 04-12-2020 at 11:46 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    An interesting thought occurred...

People keep saying "well look to Italy, it's recovering"

and my thought is.."Texas alone is twice the size of Italy" ...America is large and vast. and in terms of how different states are handling this, it's all over the place.

...this is going to take a while..
    Last edited by versusreality; 04-12-2020 at 12:41 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Perhaps right now what we have to do is to live in the present. Because we don't know what the future holds, duh. At the end on January, we were making fun of people calling for the cancellation of the Olympics. Look where we are now.
    This is what I’m trying to do, my husband keeps trying to persuade me to abandon social media, he can’t bear it.

sorry about your brother and your mum’s situation. I had a depressing conversation with my mum over the phone the other day about how we shouldn’t worry about funerals if she dies and she wants her ashes scattered near my dads in the Lake District! Thanks mum for that cheery conversation

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    This is what I’m trying to do, my husband keeps trying to persuade me to abandon social media, he can’t bear it.

sorry about your brother and your mum’s situation. I had a depressing conversation with my mum over the phone the other day about how we shouldn’t worry about funerals if she dies and she wants her ashes scattered near my dads in the Lake District! Thanks mum for that cheery conversation
    Yeah I told my Mom that she’s likely to get a stimulus check and she said she wants it used for her cremation.

Wtf, Ma.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    This sounds a bit extreme no?

Coronavirus: Oakville, Ont., family hit with $880 ticket after going rollerblading
    https://globalnews.ca/news/6810568/c...rblading-fine/

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    hate to say it, but I expect Fauci to either a) not be allowed to give interviews anymore or b) be fired
    He was making some great points in interviews yesterday. Trump looks more foolish each day.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Well, not the analysis I wanted to wake up to.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/10/m...my-debate.html

Larger gatherings — conferences, concerts, sporting events — when people say they’re going to reschedule this conference or graduation event for October 2020, I have no idea how they think that’s a plausible possibility. I think those things will be the last to return. Realistically we’re talking fall 2021 at the earliest.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    ^ it's the analysis that no one wants to hear...but probably the only true one where we actually BEAT the virus and not just have a yo yo of continuously opening/closing/opening/closing people in and out of the hospital and people dieing.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I agree with this. I think it's highly likely we'll have waves of this crap for a solid 6 months from now. People will get fed up of being locked in, the death rate will drop, and the gates will be opened too quickly. More regions will have mass casualties because we don't test adequately, and more lock downs will be enforced on a local level. Any smart company will realize that investing in large-scale events is just begging for trouble and financial loss.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    What's worse...will interstate traveling be banned? Let's say one state is doing GREAT in a few months, and another state isn't. The state that's doing great may say "we don't want anyone coming in from our neighboring state because they'll just bring the virus with them" . I know there's a lot of legal issues with that statement, but if there's anything we've learned from this is nothing would surprise us. Interstate banning would cripple the economy even more. I don't see it happening but...well, it's not the worst idea to try to contain the spread. Besides, a state that's doing great would be able to help out a rough state with extra medical supplies, staff, etc.

Won't happen.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Cool. Get rid of the guy who actually knows what a virus is.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I'm a teacher in NJ right outside of NYC (you can see the World Trade Center from the windows at my school) and I just can't see how our governor or the NY govenor hasn't decided to close schools down for the year. It's literally impossible to practice social distancing in a school! I understand the pressures to reopen schools, trust me, I get multiple parents or students asking daily. I get it. But from a health perspective, a school is like a nuclear bomb for the virus. And as I mentioned, no less than 5 of my co-workers lost parents over the past 2 weeks from the virus.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)