Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I donated.
    Yay, thank you!!!

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Dang. From the 4th - 9th, 4,279 people died in NY. Up to 7,844 in total.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Dang. From the 4th - 9th, 4,279 people died in NY. Up to 7,844 in total.
    As of today, New York State has had more confirmed cases than any other country. That's mind-boggling.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52239261

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Oof. Those mass grave pics.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    There have been over one hundred thousand deaths from Covid-19, so far.
    Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Can Fauci be President?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Oof. Those mass grave pics.
    Fuckin' surreal. Seeing that shit has me feeling extremely grateful that our casualty rate here is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller. We have only just had our 99th confirmed death in the state of MO, with KS hovering around 60 I believe. Granted, our hospitals are still STRUGGLING heavily, but I mean, when I see what's happening in NY, I cannot help but feel like, at least so, we have dodged a bullet in the midwest. I mean, we had 1,000,000 people crammed into the downtown area for the Chiefs parade just a week or two before everything shut down. It could have easily been so much worse here. Now if all these fucking Christians would just stay the fuck home this weekend...

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Bruh.

Why can't antibiotics keep up with this genius virus???????????????????????????????????????????

There's a photo in this article that gives some perspective on how huge that mass grave is. It's too big to embed here (saved with "superJumbo" in the URL, lol).
    Last edited by Sarah K; 04-10-2020 at 04:14 PM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Bruh.

Why can't antibiotics keep up with this genius virus???????????????????????????????????????????

There's a photo in this article that gives some perspective on how huge that mass grave is. It's too big to embed here (saved with "superJumbo" in the URL, lol).
    Goddamn it, he is THE stupidest motherfucker...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Well this is very sad and alarming news, but not surprising if you think about it. Bulk food buyers such as restaurants and school systems have dramatically reduced purchasing due to pandemic mitigation closures. Since people still need to eat, retail food purchasing is dramatically higher.

The supply chain was never designed to adapt this quickly, so there are very serious consequences such as shortages at retail outlets, and alarming amounts of food being disposed of simply because the supply chain can not adapt fast enough to move the product to consumers. One article which discusses some aspects of this unfortunate tragedy is: Food goes to waste amid coronavirus crisis

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Yeah, I have a lot of family in agriculture, and they're all stressed. Last year everything was pushed back later than normal due to flooding.

I have a cousin who manages a feedlot with ~40,000 head of cattle. They didn't breed until July, so they're about to have ~a lot of calves~ and not any space, as slaughter has slowed down a lot.

Then, right around now is when the side who farms crops would be planting soybeans so they could get corn in before the end of May, which is the cutoff to get corn crops insured. They're all hesitant to plant. Like I said, last year was a rough year for all of them. Lots of flooding, so crops were late, and then fucked. Now they're scared to plant again and not be able to sell it. Almost all of their corn crop is for ethanol, and there is a huge surplus of fuel right now. So.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Maybe give the food to the needy? It's a far fetched idea but...there's going to be a lot of hungry mouths after this. Hell, there's already a bunch of hungry mouths.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Corn grown for ethanol is not edible, and soybeans go to livestock feed.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    bummer

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Corn grown for ethanol is not edible, and soybeans go to livestock feed.
    I have family who farm for the same stuff. Most years, there's no profit and they're just staying alive. I worry about them this year. Huge corporations are just lying in wait to buy them out when they can't get out of the red.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Hah. Yep. I actually typed and then deleted something similar. They can't absorb two shit years in a row. Small farms are rare now, and I'm sure that would be the end of I don't even know how many generations of farmers.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

This is real, and it goes to keep people like me from being unemployed AND broke (just unemployed instead).

https://shopkissonline.com/products/...t-home-t-shirt

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    If you can watch this, I can only recommend two BBC documentaries:

Coronavirus special (2020), summary of everything we know so far:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000h3nm

Secret Universe: The Hidden Life of the Cell (2012 already), I can't remember ever watching a documentary with mouth open almost the whole time, it's like The Matrix movie and Limbo/Inside games but it's real, happening right now inside of you, how on Earth could this ever develop... factual with amazing graphics, like... serious wow. :-O I can see now it also has page on IMDB and everywhere but I didn't know before.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nln7d
    "Documentary exploring the inner world of the human cellular structure via the narrative of a viral infection from within the world of a single cell."

Randomly chosen screenshot I just made:

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Can't watch those in the US. I can't be bothered to set up my VPN on my new laptop.
    I did see the Hidden Life of a Cell. It's really well done.

For those in the US, I LOVED these when they came out. This one in particular has a good ambient soundtrack to it.

For a longer version with voiceover:

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    the fucker better not try to reopen the economy May 1st.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    That's definitely the number 1 thing I am worried about. I'll stay home as long as it takes, but I do not want to go back to "normal life" and then have to re-do all of this again. It also makes me more worried that there's a better chance of catching COVID if we do end up going back.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    Least your fucker doesn't want to wait til summer 2021, or later to "reopen shit"
    I ain't hiding in my house for 18 months. Fuck that noise.

I agree that May 1st is way too soon though. But I think July 1st is a feasible estimate.

I think once other countries start getting "back to normal" in July/August/September, Canada will have no choice but to follow suit.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Least your fucker doesn't want to wait til summer 2021, or later to "reopen shit"

I agree that May 1st is way too soon though. But I think July 1st is a feasible estimate.

I think once other countries start getting "back to normal" in July/August/September, Canada will have no choice but to follow suit.
    Unless there's a second wave in the fall, which is a very likely probability. The second wave of the 1918 influenza pandemic was the deadliest one too.

I'm not a Trudeau fan whatsoever but he was absolutely right about one thing: the only
    way we will finally be safe from covid-19 is when a vaccine is developed. And that takes time.

Here in Quebec, every single public event scheduled before August 31 (entertainment and sport) have been cancelled.

Last edited by marodi; 04-11-2020 at 01:30 PM. Reason: I've been waiting so long for a reason to post that gif

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    That fucker didn't shut anything down to begin with so it's unclear how he thinks he'd be able to reopen the economy.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post

Summer 2021? If that happens in the UK kill me now!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Universal Studios has closed in Florida and California until the end of May.

Realistically, it makes sense to keep everything closed until maybe mid June. Most high-resource need/ deaths are forecasted to last until the beginning of June. https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post

I'm not a Trudeau fan whatsoever but he was absolutely right about one thing: the only
    way we will finally be safe from covid-19 is when a vaccine is developed. And that takes time.

Problem is... some virus' don't ever end up getting a vaccine. SARS has been waiting 17 yrs for a vaccine.

Word on the street is, people aren't even developing proper antibody's to this virus anyway. That's why people keep getting reinfected after they have been told they have recovered.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/scie...uestions-about

Who's to say they're going to magically have one ready in a year? If they don't, are the going to pause life itself for 5 years? No they won't. Musicians make money touring, nobody buys music. That'll be the death of the music industry as we know it alone.

I saw a video with a scientist that said the world fucked up with this "social distancing" and it's only prolonging the virus and it could go on for years at this rate.

EDIT: Here's the video:

Last edited by ManBurning; 04-11-2020 at 03:11 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Actually, they did have a SARS vaccine in progress, but funding was dropped when SARS was contained. If they had kept at it, we might not be in this situation.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I understand the concept of herd immunity - the problem is getting there. People - not an insignificant number - will die if we just go "expose yourselves, we need to build immunity!" Yes, in an ideal world we'd all have antibodies. But how many people are you willing to voluntarily sacrifice in order to get there? Does Hallmark make a "thanks for taking one for the team" card that you can give to someone as they die on a ventilator?

Early vaccine work is already promising. But if months and years go by and the virus is outsmarting those efforts, then I think it's time we start thinking about just adapting to the notion that we may have to face this head on and accept that there will be losses. I think it's way too early to be thinking that way though.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    So if more people start dying in the global economic depression caused by strict lockdown measures for several YEARS than they do of the pandemic, can you allow maybe measures can be eased slightly?