Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Spotting 2019

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Twenty-Five Years Later, Oliver Stone’s ‘Natural Born Killers’ Is, More than Ever, the Spectacle of Our Time

Works of art that were once radical tend to find their cozy place in the cultural ecosystem. It’s almost funny to think that an audience ever booed “The Rite of Spring,” or that the Sex Pistols shocked people to their souls, or that museum patrons once stood in front of Jackson Pollock’s splatter paintings or Warhol’s soup cans and said, “But is it art?” In 1971, “A Clockwork Orange” was a scandal, but it quickly came to be thought of as a Kubrick classic. Yet “Natural Born Killers,” a brazenly radical movie when it was first released, on August 26, 1994 (25 years ago tomorrow), has never lost its sting of audacity. It’s still dangerous, crazy-sick, luridly hypnotic, ripped from the id, and visionary. I loved the movie from the moment I saw it. It haunted me for weeks afterward, and over the next few years I saw it over and over again (probably 40 times), obsessed with the experience of it, the terrible lurching beauty of it, the spellbinding truth of it. It’s a film that has never left my system.
    read the rest of the article via the link on variety.com

(this was posted on the official nin site but the news page is still totally fucked for me)

(this post got lumped in with the PP stuff that got split, so i wanted to repost it in spotting)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Funhaus, a Youtube gaming channel, briefly talked about NIN (3:10-3:50). They were a little out-dated/inaccurate on their references (one man band, President of Apple Music, etc.), but alas it seem like all 4 of them are fans. I was amused briefly...

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    So, my friend and I were talking about TR and AR scoring a Pixar film.
    Then we got to talking about Randy Newman singing 'Closer'.
    And then he made this.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Anyone else having issues getting nin.com to load? It seems to only load the HTML, no CSS, Javascript, or even images.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tool's Danny Carey namedrops NIN here when talking about the release of Lateralus : https://www.revolvermag.com/music/fi...xRZYLkJaQWPsyI

To see that record get accepted and go to No. 1 on the charts was such a relief. I remember that even when we had finished it we were like, "God, this is really fucking crazy. These songs are even longer than the ones on Ænima and some of them are weirder and more psychedelic." We thought, Oh man, are people gonna even want to hear this? At that point, it had been five years since Ænima and it felt like people's attention spans had gotten even shorter. There was all this DJ shit going on and no one was even listening to live bands in a lot of clubs. I remember Nine Inch Nails put out The Fragile, which I thought was pure genius, and it hardly sold any copies. We were like, "Goddamn, are we gonna get dissed, too?"

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Anyone else having issues getting nin.com to load? It seems to only load the HTML, no CSS, Javascript, or even images.
    Loads ok for me.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Loads ok for me.

I've tried at home and at work (with both my Macbook Pro and my phone) with three different browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Safari) and always get the same result.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Trent and Atticus get a Country Music Award nomination with Lil' Nas X.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Trent and Atticus get a Country Music Award nomination with Lil' Nas X.
    2019 is the strangest year of my life.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I've tried at home and at work (with both my Macbook Pro and my phone) with three different browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Safari) and always get the same result.
    Not sure what's up with that. Tried work PC (chrome) and home PC (firefox). It's still loading ok.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Apologies if this has been posted, but I don't remember ever seeing this and then just randomly stumbled upon it tonight.

A short piece about Brook Linder for a series that highlights current music video directors. He discusses filming of the Ahead of Ourselves video starting at about 7:10, but I recommend the whole thing. Brook is an awesome dude.

https://www.canal180.pt/article/brook-linder/

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Apologies if this has been posted, but I don't remember ever seeing this and then just randomly stumbled upon it tonight.

A short piece about Brook Linder for a series that highlights current music video directors. He discusses filming of the Ahead of Ourselves video starting at about 7:10, but I recommend the whole thing. Brook is an awesome dude.

https://www.canal180.pt/article/brook-linder/
    This was great, thanks!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

The next volume of this great anthology comic books featuring stories inspired by NIN has launched on Kickstarter! The previous volumes were great. Excited for this one!

Welcome Oblivion - Stories Inspired by Nine Inch Nails

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    ...comic books featuring stories inspired by NIN...
    Surely, you mean graphic novels.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diptych View Post
    Surely, you mean graphic novels.
    No, I don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Interview with Rob Sheridan, brief NIN mention

https://www.salon.com/2019/09/02/sur...he-rest-of-us/

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheddamash View Post
    Funhaus, a Youtube gaming channel, briefly talked about NIN (3:10-3:50). They were a little out-dated/inaccurate on their references (one man band, President of Apple Music, etc.), but alas it seem like all 4 of them are fans. I was amused briefly...

Having been a fan of this channel since the start i can confirm they are fans, they've mentioned them a lot in previous video's including a story from Adam (guy in the thumbnail) when as a kid he tried to steal the booklet from the Downward Spiral CD rather then the CD for some reason. Also Lawrence (not in this video) REALLY wants the Quake Vinyl lol

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    they've mentioned them a lot in previous video's including a story from Adam (guy in the thumbnail) when as a kid he tried to steal the booklet from the Downward Spiral CD rather then the CD for some reason.
    Totally not nin spotting but that reminds me back in the day, some major store in france was selling one TDS at EP price because this one was without booklet...

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    The next volume of this great anthology comic books featuring stories inspired by NIN has launched on Kickstarter! The previous volumes were great. Excited for this one!

Welcome Oblivion - Stories Inspired by Nine Inch Nails
    I pledged for the first two and was really disappointed, especially by the second one. I love the idea of supporting a project like this, but I don't think I'm going to continue. More power to him, though.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but another soundtrack. This time for WAVES, the new film by the director of It Comes At Night.

https://www.tiff.net/events/waves

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash512 View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but another soundtrack. This time for WAVES, the new film by the director of It Comes At Night.

https://www.tiff.net/events/waves
    Yes, it's being discussed in the Score subforum. Not sure if I'll be able to catch it at TIFF, but it's already premiered elsewhere and has been getting strong reviews.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    T-T-T-Terrible Lie, anyone? I can't help but hear it. It's clear that inspiration from that track was taken for this.

Also, this one sounds like Sunspots:

Last edited by ManBurning; 09-05-2019 at 05:03 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I definitely hear a NIN influence in both, though it's unmistakable in the first one.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Britney Spears working out to Closer, well a kind of montage of working out set to Closer. She looks great
    [https://www.instagram.com/p/B2CjzR_A...d=e1tzo18xk210

Last edited by WorzelG; 09-06-2019 at 02:12 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Britney Spears working out to Closer, well a kind of montage of working out set to Closer. She looks great
    [https://www.instagram.com/p/B2CjzR_A...d=e1tzo18xk210
    I have never understood why, but I feel weirdly protective of Britney Spears even though I've never liked any of her music (outside of the song Piece of Me which seemed to be the most like the music she actually wanted to make). I occasionally poke around her on Instagram to get the warm fuzzies about how much happier she seems now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was listening to the score of the 2004 Japanese film Casshern by Shiro Sagisu of Evangelion fame and noticed one of the tracks is a straight cover/rip off of The Frail. The soundtrack is hard to find so I uploaded the track https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mo...WVAtLTuyjReVX-

That track is harder to hear in the film itself, hence why I never noticed it until now.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James Cobra View Post
    I was listening to the score of the 2004 Japanese film Casshern by Shiro Sagisu of Evangelion fame and noticed one of the tracks is a straight cover/rip off of The Frail. The soundtrack is hard to find so I uploaded the track https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mo...WVAtLTuyjReVX-

That track is harder to hear in the film itself, hence why I never noticed it until now.
    Either way, it's a nice sounding track. Thanks for the share!

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Casshern score and everything else by Shiro Sagisu is fucking gold, so ya'll better find his stuff and enjoy it. I take this similarity as a tribute of sorts, not a rip off. There are tracks on the score much better than this one!

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    T-T-T-Terrible Lie, anyone? I can't help but hear it. It's clear that inspiration from that track was taken for this.

Completely unrelated, but one of the guys who works at this record label did lots of art direction for the C&B&I tour!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)