Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Ghosts I-IV: I-II or III-IV?

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Ghosts I-IV: I-II or III-IV?

I'm actually a bit surprised that I didn't think of this sooner as I have always noticed how the Left of The Fragile is preferred more than the Right. This idea came from that topic.

It's also not just always about which side you think is better either. Perhaps it can also just be about the side that you prefer more and listen more to even if you like both sides. I also understand that Ghosts I-IV is split into 4 parts, but I'm also just going by the CDs as they are.

As for me, I still find myself leaning more to Ghosts III-IV.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 02-07-2017 at 10:22 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    III-IV for me because of some wildness in the instruments including Brian Viglione's 2 contributions.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Hard to say. I like the album as a whole, but I guess I would say III and IV since a lot of the tracks from that side get the most play around here.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    REALLY hard choice, but I will have to go with the III-IV since it contains my favorite Ghosts track

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    IV

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I always gravitated to III & IV, but I recently popped in I & II since it had been a while and was REALLY digging it.

Ghosts has always been underappreciated, IMO. Probably because The Slip came out soon afterwards, but I'd love to get another Ghosts album from TR & AR...and don't say "but soundtracks..." because Ghosts is different than their soundtracks.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Hmmm... Very interesting question. I have them on my iPod as one full album, so I always listen all the way through. Whereas with The Fragile, I have it as 2 separate albums on my iPod.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm really a 1 and 4 kinda guy.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    See, on the vinyl they're I, II, III and IV separately so it's easier for me to differentiate each volume (III is the best). But for the CD, I'd go for III-IV

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I have the fondest memories from Ghosts I, when it was released for free. Played it countless times. I was like, "What happens next? What happens next?" Then, I got to hear the whole thing, and once 10 Ghosts II came up, I was like whooooooah.

So, if I had to pick a side for sheer nostalgic value alone, I'd choose Ghosts I-II. That being said, III-IV has the strongest tracks. 34 Ghosts IV is a masterpiece, and easily one of the greatest tracks TR&AR have ever written. It breaks my heart, then builds it up again.

And, @thevoid99 , I'd frequently use Brian Viglione's contributions as a way to shut up the Dresden Dolls-loving hipsters who would refuse to listen to NIN and Ghosts. My final retaliation, of course, came when Brian and Amanda were photographed by the This One Is On Us crew, with Amanda kissing the DVD case of Another Version of the Truth (probably the closest I'll ever get to being kissed by Amanda, heh heh).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I generally just listen to the whole album on my ipod. I dont think i have ever concentrated on a particular part, i just enjoy it as an ambient soundtrack to the day.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    For me, better tracks are in III-IV (31, 34, 28...), but I'll say I prefer the great atmosphere that creates I-II, for me it's the perfect ambient for reading fiction books (Lovecraft, etc.).

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Random Ghosts thought: I think I can only remember two of them by their actual number, 24 and 31. 24 because of the vocal sampling, and 31 because it absolutely kicked ass live during LITS.

I've come to appreciate it but find it hard to focus on with its short lengths, no vocals and it being very ambient by nature. Guess it's the ADD in me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Does anyone have Ghosts 37 and 38?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hevmetal18 View Post
    Does anyone have Ghosts 37 and 38?
    Yep. They're great, although Ghosts 38 is pretty much the instrumental demo of Demon Seed. But Demon Seed is also my favorite track on The Slip, so I love both!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Random Ghosts thought: I think I can only remember two of them by their actual number, 24 and 31. 24 because of the vocal sampling, and 31 because it absolutely kicked ass live during LITS.
    Same here. I can probably identify only a few of the tracks by the actual number (1, 19, 29 -thanks, Meathead!, 37 and 38).