Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Commissioning a mass printing of the 'Deviations 1' booklet

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Commissioning a mass printing of the 'Deviations 1' booklet

After @nihilmatters took the initiative to light a candle instead of cursing the dark by printing his own Deviations 1 .pdf into a 30-page booklet, I've decided to do the same. I visited my local FedEx Office and the price they quoted me was $113 for a double-sided, full color print on 11"x11", 80lb., glossy paper with velo binding (I wanted straight up staples, but they told me, at that size, they can't do that). I find the prospect of paying more than the price of Deviations for the booklet that should have accompanied Deviations depressing, but, as someone who likes a physical component (ahem) and who is still pretty pissed about the dry fart we got after the delay and Reznor's oath of "uncompromising blah blah blah"...I am sad to say that I'm considering it.

Anyway, I was wondering if whoever helmed the WT lyrics poster printing (in my experience, a thing of pristine beauty) would be interested in sharing their secrets or, shit, helming this endeavor as well, if they have the time and interest and inclination.

Or is this just me?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    At that price, no. If you can get a mass printing or a cheaper rate, I'll be in.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    That's what I'm hoping.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I am interested. A quick google search led me to this web page which I think is what you are looking for.
    https://encoreprintstore.secureprint.../color-copies/
    Unfortunately, I have no idea what the options entail so I'd defer to your judgment on choosing the proper options.
    I just wonder how you would handle all the logistics with shipping and all that difficulties that would include.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I'd possibly be interested, though only if the price was down into the low tens of dollars.

Also, while I definitely do not want to put the kibosh on any cool things which may result from this thread, be sure to tread carefully - the ETS mods got a bit burnt out on well-intentioned but problematic fan productions-for-$ in the past, and may not be the friendliest to anything which involves actual monetary exchanges.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
    I'd possibly be interested, though only if the price was down into the low tens of dollars.

Also, while I definitely do not want to put the kibosh on any cool things which may result from this thread, be sure to tread carefully - the ETS mods got a bit burnt out on well-intentioned but problematic fan productions-for-$ in the past, and may not be the friendliest to anything which involves actual monetary exchanges.
    I get you. I just want a booklet for Deviations and I'm seeing if there are enough folks who'd be interested as well, nothing gross.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    "This one is also on us too I guess" The Deviations project.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I actually work at a printing company. Let me see if this is something they’d be willing to do. I can’t imagine the cost being any where near $113, but I could be wrong. I think we need to get an estimate of how many people would be interested in order for me to get a legit quote first. If peeps could chime in with their interest, suggestions and a reasonable target price.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I'm definitely interested but I won't spend more than $50.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    If you can get the price down I'd be interested ... but maybe someone should ask teitan just in case he's planning on an art book

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'd pay up to 50 bucks for this and I haven't even decided if I'm purchasing Deviations or not.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Anyway, I was wondering if whoever helmed the WT lyrics poster printing (in my experience, a thing of pristine beauty) would be interested in sharing their secrets or, shit, helming this endeavor as well, if they have the time and interest and inclination.
    While the printing of With Teeth posters was great for those who received theirs, it was a huge fiasco for many and the guy who organized it pretty much ghosted afterwards. With a few other failed efforts (shirts, etc) of a similar nature that followed, I don't know that we want to go down this road again. I suspect @Leviathant will concur.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    I'm thinking "This Deviations: 1 is On Us"

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    We do not promote pre-orders here. Most of these endeavors, while well-meaning, fail really hard, because fulfillment is fucking tricky. Never mind the ownership issues related to the content you'd be printing.

Short of using a known entity like TeeSpring (and even they have issues), we don't promote pre-orders here. A lot of people put money to a DVD/BluRay that didn't happen (What was that arrogant shit's name again? I tried so hard to help him clean his mess up). A lot of people put money towards nice posters that WerewolfFeet had trouble mailing out. There's also that whole FactionNation shirt fiasco, which ended in a state district attorney getting involved. I also tried to help that guy get his shit together, but he was too good to take my advice.

These days I live in the world of ecommerce. Unless you're ready to warehouse, ship, and handle returns/refunds, by opening this up to NIN fans at large, you're only bringing a world of pain upon yourself.

If you want this to happen, find another way to fund it that does not involve ETS, and once you've produced a run of goods, and sell what you have, for cost + shipping. I say this because I love you, and I don't want you to hurt yourself.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Thank you, Sirs.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Thankfully I was one of the lucky ones who actually received his shirts (7 months after pre-ordering them) from FactionNation. Levi is right, there is nothing but bad experiences for most when this sort of thing was started back in the day. I would say that you're better off getting these booklets made by yourself instead of taking on a HUGE headache. Maybe someone can create a PDF for those who are interested that are set up in order and with the correct dimensions and then we can print them off on our own?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Thinking of commissioning a lawyer for a class action lawsuit against Sandbag and their rampant dumbfuckery, especially when they're still sitting on 75% of my overall order.

Let me know if you want to help..

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    In all seriousness though, $115 to print and bind a chapbook is ridiculous. I've always found it's easier to just pull your own resources and DIY, or google a solution that is cost-efficient.

I remember I once took my With Teeth lyric poster to a semi-professional framing store. They wanted like $500 to frame that thing. $500! Talking about aged cherrywood framing to support the poster density and high-grade UV coating and somesuch. How do those places stay in business with rackets like that? I ended up finding a nice antique frame and some plexiglass and mounted the damn thing myself in all of 15 minutes, for about $25..

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I'm still waiting on that one guy to ship me my With Teeth booklet...

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I was thinking of partnering with these guys...Firebag or something...

Anyway: after reading through this, I think I'll take it upon myself to get just one made. If it's top fucking notch, I'll tell you guys how I did it and save myself a personal Firebrand experience.

I appreciate all the guidance.

And I love you too Levi. <3

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I'm still waiting on that one guy to ship me my With Teeth booklet...

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    I may have been lucky there, got mine w/o issues. That was well done too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If someone could prepare the pdf for printing, for, say, 11x11 inch size, properly pairing the pages, setting the crop marks etc, then everyone could print a booklet locally, and a bonus is a good feeling of supporting small local printers or DTP studios. BTW that price looks ridiculous but really depends on materials and processes used.
    Last edited by ParaGun; 07-12-2017 at 05:20 AM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Oh tony hahahahaha

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I think we can coordinate globally as I think printing in a single location an unknown number of booklets would be tricky.
    Making a list of locations, prices, shipping, might be a better idea. We can also take into consideration bulk orders and such.

Furthermore, at least in my opinion, a thin but quality paper would be great for this project as it would cut down shipping costs. Even updating the PDF to have it printed in 2x11" would be better. Having a massive book with a hard, glued part isn't my idea of great. Having something glued together on a thin spine, even DIY, manually, is a better option.

I am considering investing some time in this to print it myself and then manually staple it. Drilling holes and putting the staples through is a no-brainer. For this, cutting costs.

As a conclusion, without doing any bashing here, I think the cheaper we can make this, the better. 100+ is hella expensive for what it is.

EDIT: One more thing. I am very comfortable with a smaller scale booklet. As much as I think that the kingsize would look great, especially if made exactly the size of the TFD1 vinyl, complementing it design-wise, a small, CD-sized booklet is also pretty cool.
    Last edited by MAD; 07-12-2017 at 07:46 AM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    It's absolutely insane to me that there are folks out there willing to shell out a total of $130-150 to turn their $80 vinyl release into a product worth $60

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    It's absolutely insane to me that there are folks out there willing to shell out a total of $130-150 to turn their $80 vinyl release into a product worth $60
    I'm confused. How does getting a book decrease the value of something else?

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I'm confused. How does getting a book decrease the value of something else?
    Deviations was $80 and is barely worth $45
    The fanmade booklet looks like it'll cost $50 each to produce to make the release at least semi complete.

With a booklet added the release should only cost about $60 due to the zero effort packaging.

Meaning it would cost about $130 to complete a package that's only really worth $60 at the end of the day.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    The fanmade booklet looks like it'll cost $50 each to produce to make the release at least semi complete.

With a booklet added the release should only cost about $60 due to the zero effort packaging.

Meaning it would cost about $130 to complete a package that's only really worth $60 at the end of the day.
    You're not wrong, but that doesn't change the fact that I want a book for it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I'm just as pissed as you Tony. But every time I see that Deviations jacket, with that one, pointless fucking piece of paper and think of that luscious 30 page .pdf we got in December, I want to do something about it, need to. I'm looking into other options, but it's a quality vs. price thing. I could print out 15, double-sided pages on nice paper using a nice printer and staple it together, but it's going to look and feel like I did just that. On the other end, I could spend more than the price of the whole thing to have something approaching the quality of the booklet that should have come with Deviations in the first place. I'm hoping to find a reasonable middle ground that'll leave me with something cool that won't cost me another $80.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    I'm just as pissed as you Tony. But every time I see that Deviations jacket, with that one, pointless fucking piece of paper and think of that luscious 30 page .pdf we got in December, I want to do something about it, need to. I'm looking into other options, but it's a quality vs. price thing. I could print out 15, double-sided pages on nice paper using a nice printer and staple it together, but it's going to look and feel like I did just that. On the other end, I could spend more than the price of the whole thing to have something approaching the quality of the booklet that should have come with Deviations in the first place. I'm hoping to find a reasonable middle ground that'll leave me with something cool that won't cost me another $80.
    I can't do it, I'm not really wanting to finish someone else's work like that. I'm probably not going to be buying any future deviations releases after this though.