Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: The Dillinger Escape Plan (Kill posers)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    DEP will, without a doubt, 100% reunite within the next ten years max. These guys are too young, too talented & will be thrown too much $ to say no. There's a dearth of interesting reunions left to book in the big time heavy music festival scene. Clearly those offers are already on the table, hence this thought exercise he engaged in. Same goes for Slayer.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Interesting that Greg is not tagged on the post but the final line up is.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    Interesting that Greg is not tagged on the post but the final line up is.
    The post is very heavily hinting at a reunion with Dimitri taking back over the vocals. Greg will almost certainly never be in DEP again.

Next year is the 25th anniversary of Calculating Infinity, so this is likely for that, if it's not just Ben trolling.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    The post is very heavily hinting at a reunion with Dimitri taking back over the vocals. Greg will almost certainly never be in DEP again.

Next year is the 25th anniversary of Calculating Infinity, so this is likely for that, if it's not just Ben trolling.
    I'm leaning towards only a vinyl reissue. Don't ask me why, that's what I feel.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    I'm leaning towards only a vinyl reissue. Don't ask me why, that's what I feel.
    Not sure why the rest of the final lineup of DEP would be tagged in that post if that's all it was, unless Ben is just trolling. None of them had anything to do with the album.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Greg > Dimitri

But cool news regardless.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Greg > Dimitri

But cool news regardless.
    I completely agree. But there's pretty much zero chance Greg will ever be in DEP again. Ben owns DEP and he doesn't like Greg.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I doubt it is a vinyl reissue, as Relapse have reissued it before and don't really need the bands involvement in that. As for a reunion, that would be cool. I saw DEP back in 1998 on one of their first tours and it was insane, but when Greg joined, it took them to the next level, and all the shows I saw with him were much better. I enjoy the crazy "mathcore" songs, but the songs where Greg actually sings are some of the best stuff they did. I don't know that Dimitri could take over that stuff.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Welp, reunion (with Dimitri) is happening. This kind of sucks, I thought they had the perfect finale and this sort of cheapens it:
    https://www.revolvermag.com/events/d...niversary-show

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

A post shared by on

Exactly what I thought. Reunion with Dimitri at the helm to perform Calculating Infinity.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Welp, reunion (with Dimitri) is happening. This kind of sucks, I thought they had the perfect finale and this sort of cheapens it:
    https://www.revolvermag.com/events/d...niversary-show
    I'm curious how this "cheapens" it. It's essentially a different band playing, at least for now, a one-off show to celebrate a specific album with the original singer. It hardly seems like a cash grab or something.

We've definitely reached a point where bands "retire" and then inevitably when they come back to play a show, there are always folks who complain for one reason or another. I think LCD Soundsystem is a great example. It just seems odd that folks will complain that a band they like is playing again, like the bragging rights of being at the last show are no longer valid. Not saying that's where you're coming from, but that is what I see of from a lot of folks that do complain about bands reuniting. This definitely seems like a situation where they just want to play together and celebrate this album. Also, it's always been Ben's band, and it seems like his relationship with Greg is the main reason the band had to stop in the first place.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I have very mixed feelings about this and will most likely not attend (mostly due to financial reasons.) I definitely think this kind of cheapens the whole “remember what you saw here as it’ll never happen again ” vibe that was emphasized when they disbanded. Also we are never gettin that terminal 5 footage at this rate.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    I'm curious how this "cheapens" it. It's essentially a different band playing, at least for now, a one-off show to celebrate a specific album with the original singer. It hardly seems like a cash grab or something.

We've definitely reached a point where bands "retire" and then inevitably when they come back to play a show, there are always folks who complain for one reason or another. I think LCD Soundsystem is a great example. It just seems odd that folks will complain that a band they like is playing again, like the bragging rights of being at the last show are no longer valid. Not saying that's where you're coming from, but that is what I see of from a lot of folks that do complain about bands reuniting. This definitely seems like a situation where they just want to play together and celebrate this album. Also, it's always been Ben's band, and it seems like his relationship with Greg is the main reason the band had to stop in the first place.
    I was not at the last show (although I did attend the Austin show of that final run, in July) but even if I had been at the last show I wouldn't be disappointed at this announcement just because I was at the last show. My main issue with this is that those 2017 shows had this amount of energy that they will not be able to match with this run (I'd love to be proven wrong though). I started attending DEP shows during the Miss Machine era, and went to at least one show for each album cycle, and it seemed like the energy was INCREASING after every tour, it was unbelievable. Typically bands get quieter/safer/calmer as the years go by, but not with DEP. I LOVED that this band went out with such a banger statement (Dissociation, although my favorite album of theirs is Ire Works), they played their guts out during those final shows (in that Austin show I hugged Greg on the floor right at the start of the first song, ended up onstage during 43% Burnt and got a hit to my head from Liam's bass). And I don't think Dimitri would be able to match Greg's intensity, but again, I'd loved to be proven wrong. This just seems like a step back.

Interesting you bring up LCD (I'm a big fan of them as well and seeing them for NYE), in their case I do think it made complete sense that they came back, American Dream is their best album out of the 4 IMO, and had they stopped with Shut up and Play the Hits we would not have that album today.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    That last show in Austin is still the wildest show I’ve ever been to. I have a weird relationship with dillingers music post the breakup. Some drama happened in my life around the breakup so their music really takes me back to that rough spot in my life. So I haven’t listened to them much post break up.

plus, is it really a Dillinger show if there is no DESTROYEEERRRR breakdown?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    I was not at the last show (although I did attend the Austin show of that final run, in July) but even if I had been at the last show I wouldn't be disappointed at this announcement just because I was at the last show. My main issue with this is that those 2017 shows had this amount of energy that they will not be able to match with this run (I'd love to be proven wrong though). I started attending DEP shows during the Miss Machine era, and went to at least one show for each album cycle, and it seemed like the energy was INCREASING after every tour, it was unbelievable. Typically bands get quieter/safer/calmer as the years go by, but not with DEP. I LOVED that this band went out with such a banger statement (Dissociation, although my favorite album of theirs is Ire Works), they played their guts out during those final shows (in that Austin show I hugged Greg on the floor right at the start of the first song, ended up onstage during 43% Burnt and got a hit to my head from Liam's bass). And I don't think Dimitri would be able to match Greg's intensity, but again, I'd loved to be proven wrong. This just seems like a step back.

Interesting you bring up LCD (I'm a big fan of them as well and seeing them for NYE), in their case I do think it made complete sense that they came back, American Dream is their best album out of the 4 IMO, and had they stopped with Shut up and Play the Hits we would not have that album today.
    I saw DEP on the Relapse Contamination 1998 Tour. I can't seem to find any info on the other bands, but I know it wasn't the 1999 one as I saw a shirt for that while searching and they weren't listed. Anyway, they were one of the first bands of the evening to play and it was still one of the most insane things I've ever seen. They had bright white work lights facing the audience that would strobe, the place was nuts (small club, a few hundred max, Twisters in Richmond VA). Anyway, I saw them 5 or 6 more times over the years, the last being in Washington DC in 2015, but that first show supporting Calculating Infinity was still something I'll never forget.

And as for LCD, I completely agree, American Dream is their best album. I mainly brought them up because when James first announced that they were coming back and playing shows again, he addressed the complaints about all the hype around the final MSG show and fans that were disappointed they came back.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I don't think this cheapens the last shows at all. They still happened, and nothing can take away from that. I was at the final show, and I for one am excited for this. You'll probably never see DEP play with Greg again. Decent chance you'll never see them perform Greg's songs again either. This is more like we're going back in time to the late 90s.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I saw someone mention on Instagram or Facebook comments about how they should bring Mike Patton in and do Irony is a Dead Scene as an encore. If they played Calculating Infinity, plus the EP, then Irony, that would be a pretty epic show. Plus, if they did want to do Greg era songs, Mike Patton is the guy to handle those.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    They announced second and third shows as well. I got tickets for all three. Wish they'd announced them in reverse order so I could have just gone to the final one. But oh well.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Ben is such a dick. I swear he's doing this to spite Greg. DEP was a far better band with him, they would've never had the legacy they do with Dimitri. I love Calculating Infinity but even if I lived in NY, there's no way I'd support this. Considering the lineup changes over the years, it certainly seems like Ben is just an intolerable hipster.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
    Ben is such a dick. I swear he's doing this to spite Greg. DEP was a far better band with him, they would've never had the legacy they do with Dimitri. I love Calculating Infinity but even if I lived in NY, there's no way I'd support this. Considering the lineup changes over the years, it certainly seems like Ben is just an intolerable hipster.
    I guess by that standard, Trent is a dick because of all the lineup changes over the years?

It's Ben's band. It's not like they're reuniting, recording new music and touring with Dimitri. They're doing some anniversary shows to celebrate their debut album that Greg had no part in. Look, I'm not carrying water for Ben, and I'm definitely more of a fan of the work Greg did, and I think he's the better singer, but I don't see how it makes Ben the bad guy to want to celebrate their first album, cause Greg has no say in that.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I get being sad that Greg isn’t in the band anymore. Totally reasonable. I prefer him over Dimitri too. But why is Ben a dick just because they don’t get along? I can see why they might not. Ben is a family man who doesn’t do drugs. Greg is a partier. That’s bound to lead to clashes. I don’t see why it’s such a problem for people that they perform the album that Dimitri helped write and performed on for its 25th anniversary. Seems like a natural thing to do to me. Now if they had Dimitri start doing some of Greg’s songs that would feel a bit weird. But I don’t see them doing that.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I’ve disliked Ben ever since the stupid “I’m in my basement writing songs,” shit. Calling Greg a hired gun reminded me why he’s a shithead.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Here's the interview in question: https://metalinsider.net/interviews/...eative-process

It's clear where the riff between Ben and Greg started. At the end of the day though, it's Ben's band, not Greg's.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Here's the interview in question: https://metalinsider.net/interviews/...eative-process

It's clear where the riff between Ben and Greg started. At the end of the day though, it's Ben's band, not Greg's.
    Maybe, but Greg was the front man during their most prolific and critically respected era. I'd wager to say that without Greg's versatility vocally, TDEP would never have gotten anywhere near as big as they did. Everyone seems to adore Greg who works with him as well vs the guy who has had multiple ex bandmates complain about him...Pennie, for example.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    This is the most pretentious, obnoxious fuck you I've ever read:
    I think it is very important to mention that Greg has no ownership of the Dillinger Escape Plan as an entity, no ownership in the overarching corporation, and has no ownership over the name and he never has. He has always been paid as an independent contractor and he has no interactions with our booking agent, lawyers, etc. I'm happy to show anyone who doubts this all the paperwork that says otherwise. That's that. This band has existed with different singers and musicians over the years and I am proud that my continued involvement from day one has helped keep some consistency in how we functioned and did things as a unit.
    The truth is that any discussions of a reunion with Greg have been shut down before money was discussed. There have been no concrete money offers for a reunion with Greg – meaning that the conversations have never gotten to money as they've always been shut down immediately – that I or anyone on our team is aware of. I think there was some preliminary talks thrown around for us to do Furnace Fest, but our agent's response was that we are not entertaining reunion offers at this time. The end. I have been approached a few times indirectly by people who had talked to Greg while he was out on the road about doing a reunion, and what was conveyed to me was that he really wanted to do it and that it should be discussed with me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    More top tier Ben-isms (don't forget he fired Sharone a year later because he wanted to stay working on his side project)
    "When Chris hears our record, he's going to feel like a real a–hole," Weinman said, with confidence. "He blew it. This guy Gil we have playing on this, his drumming is unbelievable on this record. Some of the best drumming we've ever had on any of our records. And now, Gil is going to be known as the guy for this kind of thing. This would have been the record that set Chris up as a drumming dude — as a session guy, a clinic guy — and now, Gil's already got all these companies doing ads based on him playing on this record."

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
    This is the most pretentious, obnoxious fuck you I've ever read:
    I think it is very important to mention that Greg has no ownership of the Dillinger Escape Plan as an entity, no ownership in the overarching corporation, and has no ownership over the name and he never has. He has always been paid as an independent contractor and he has no interactions with our booking agent, lawyers, etc. I'm happy to show anyone who doubts this all the paperwork that says otherwise. That's that. This band has existed with different singers and musicians over the years and I am proud that my continued involvement from day one has helped keep some consistency in how we functioned and did things as a unit.
    The truth is that any discussions of a reunion with Greg have been shut down before money was discussed. There have been no concrete money offers for a reunion with Greg – meaning that the conversations have never gotten to money as they've always been shut down immediately – that I or anyone on our team is aware of. I think there was some preliminary talks thrown around for us to do Furnace Fest, but our agent's response was that we are not entertaining reunion offers at this time. The end. I have been approached a few times indirectly by people who had talked to Greg while he was out on the road about doing a reunion, and what was conveyed to me was that he really wanted to do it and that it should be discussed with me.
    To be fair, that quote sounds like it's in response to questions about reunions, and he's saying that he is the only person who can negotiate that, and that it's not happening. Again, it's Ben's band, and if he doesn't want to work with Greg anymore, that's his prerogative. Just like Iron Maiden kicked out Paul Di'anno, and on and on and on.

Clearly you have an issue with Ben, so I’ll just end it there and agree to disagree.
    Last edited by trollmanen; 12-15-2023 at 03:23 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    To be fair, that quote sounds like it's in response to questions about reunions, and he's saying that he is the only person who can negotiate that, and that it's not happening. Again, it's Ben's band, and if he doesn't want to work with Greg anymore, that's his prerogative. Just like Iron Maiden kicked out Paul Di'anno, and on and on and on.

Clearly you have an issue with Ben, so I’ll just end it there and agree to disagree.
    Sounds good.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Honestly I don't know why the surprise on this thread, Greg himself said the album 'One Of Us Is The Killer' was about the rift between him and Ben.

In the end The Dillinger Escape Plan is Weinman's band, he was there since the beginning and he can do whatever he wants with it, even if we (including myself here) don't agree with his decisions on it.