Page 9 of 76 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    I liked h20. It had the suspense vibe, my only beef with it is that its too clean of a film. Its really looks like a major motion picture than a Halloween movie.

When you watch the disk from the box set, check out the behind the scenes. Thank god they didn't use the big orchestral soundtrack. It makes it feel like a dramatic horror ballet.
    I never really liked Resurrection. H20 has its moments though. I will when I get to it!

I'm done wasting money for today (and the entire whole month...) but why not?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Nobody likes Resurrection. I genuinely felt unclean after watching it, and actively avoided watching it for ten years.

Tonight's viewing was Suspiria. Gorgeous.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Halloween Resurrection was all a joke though. It genuinely comes across like one of those Waynas Brothers horror spoofs. No one takes that film seriously. Its been eradicated from the franchise memory....it all really ended with H20. Resurrection was based around a Michael Myers reality show, film is full of busta rhymes catchphrases, . Come on. I think the writers intended to do a horror comedy but something went wrong in production with the studio and it all got messed up.
    I have no idea why Jamie Lee Curtis returned for that pile of shit. all those films, she survives, and they kill her off in a mental institution, its not remotely scary, that film was against everything that made the first one great. I pray john carpenter never saw it. Its not a horror film
    H20 was really good. And very scary at points.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Admittedly, I thought the whole web show broadcast element within Resurrection was interesting, but that's about it.

I wish someone could do a horror film like that where you're watching "live" on the internet, and can change angles at the click of a button. Kind of like Night Trap, but more realistic.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Cool article i found with the
    25 of the most underrated horror films from the 80's...

Agree with many of these and i was surprised (and happy) to see "Psycho 2" mentioned...
    Psycho 2 was good. Psycho III and Psycho IV weren’t nearly as good, but still entertaining. Anthony Perkins owned that role. Nobody could ever really replace him as Norman Bates in my mind, although I recently finished watching season 2 of the A&E Bates Motel series, and it is entertaining to see a depiction of the Bates family with a young Norman played by Alfred Thomas Highmore. But so far the series is more drama than horror.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I rewatched Hellraiser III to remember why I disliked it after all these years. The first half is good, but the second half is complete garbage. The movie turned Pinhead into cheesy, maniacal laughing stock villain that felt like a Freddy Krueger ripoff. Some of the murders in the club scene were facepalm inducing (The dj gets killed by cds... Pinhead's face flies out of some ladies drink and turns into an ice knife...) and the cenobites were fucking awful. A cenobite with a camera lens for an eye? A cd cenobite.... A bartender cenobite... A smoker cenobite... The second half of the film gave my mind indigestion.
    Peter Atkins wrote II, III, and Bloodline (all three had a different director). While II was solid, III and Bloodline were not strong entries in the series, and neither have aged very well at all.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Ugh.... Netflix Canada really sucks for horror...... no Hammer Horror films, no Universal Monsters, not a lick of the Elm Street movies.

There's a ton of stuff i haven't seen when it comes to the Horror genre but they only have all the shit I've seen already lol

I would do the proxy thing but the account isn't mine it's my Sister's and I doubt she'd let me muck with it.

EDIT: What else does it not have? no Exorcist, no Amityville, no Tales from the Crypt, no Creepshow, no Jeepers Creepers....

Sweet holy jesus it has Leprechaun though.. surprisingly enough.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 10-05-2014 at 04:16 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    So I watched The Devil's Rejects. I really liked the film, but there were a few things keeping me for outright loving it.

SPOILERS:

1. The scene where Adam's wife runs out of motel room, and no one seems to hear pulled me out of the film. Where are the other people? I get that the motel isn't a hotspot, but there are obviously meant to be staff there, maybe even other people staying in rooms. It doesn't make sense to how no one would've heard that and called the cops.
    2. When Adam's wife ran out into the street and got hit by a semi felt too cartoony and out of place, even amongst the other humor in the film.
    3. The whole Groucho vs Elvis bullshit. Same as above.
    4. Why the hell didn't Charlie Altamont inform them of the raid? He had plenty of time to tell them and haul ass. I mean, he obviously gave a shit because he came back for them. Also, why did he not seem to care about his girls being slaughtered? His business was just ruined.
    5. Why didn't Sheriff Wydell pay Rondo and Billy to guard the house to make sure they didn't escape. He knows these people were wild killers.

END OF SPOILERS:

Besides those problems, I really enjoyed the film. Gonna follow it up with Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, and maybe Deranged: The Confessions of a Necrophile. Might as well keep a theme for today.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Halloween resurrection is shit, but i'll admit i always chuckle when Bustha Rhymes says: "Trick or treat Motherfucker"

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    Halloween Resurrection was all a joke though. It genuinely comes across like one of those Waynas Brothers horror spoofs. No one takes that film seriously. Its been eradicated from the franchise memory....it all really ended with H20. Resurrection was based around a Michael Myers reality show, film is full of busta rhymes catchphrases, . Come on. I think the writers intended to do a horror comedy but something went wrong in production with the studio and it all got messed up.
    I have no idea why Jamie Lee Curtis returned for that pile of shit. all those films, she survives, and they kill her off in a mental institution, its not remotely scary, that film was against everything that made the first one great. I pray john carpenter never saw it. Its not a horror film
    H20 was really good. And very scary at points.
    Jamie was under contract to do so. The producers didn't want a final ending to H20 so they can keep the series going. Big mistake.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I have at least a hundred VHS tapes featuring horror films strewn throughout my room currently, and all of them were recorded off tv during the 90's by my father. Most of them are recorded off HBO, but some are actually recorded during halloween marathons, such as MonsterVision and whatever TBS called theirs. Sure, they might be terrible looking, and some of them might be edited (though, I'm not sure about the ones on TBS because they had the cemetery scene in Return of the Living Dead, which had nudity), but I have a feeling this is gonna be an awesome October because of this.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I keep debating on whether or not to pick up the Halloween box set. Is it worth it?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I keep debating on whether or not to pick up the Halloween box set. Is it worth it?
    Yes.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Pick it up from amazon. Then when you get it ask for a partial refund/ credit as Halloween 4 has major synching issues. Everyone who has one has the same disk.

Anchor bay and scream are looking into a disk replacement program, but they are taking their sweet time with it.

This set is worth it. Just stay away from the bluray.com forums, those fuckers are nit picking every minor bullshit detail.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Pertaining to the list (top 25 underrated) Im glad to see Prince of Darkness as well as Clown House on there as i thought both those movies were pretty good. I especially thought Clown House was a pretty solid film. Tonight I picked up Zodiac and Troll Hunter while maybe not horror films entirely i feel they should do the trick.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Pick it up from amazon. Then when you get it ask for a partial refund/ credit as Halloween 4 has major synching issues. Everyone who has one has the same disk.

Anchor bay and scream are looking into a disk replacement program, but they are taking their sweet time with it.

This set is worth it. Just stay away from the bluray.com forums, those fuckers are nit picking every minor bullshit detail.
    I'm a member there. am I a fucker?

Go to Best Buy, it's on sale for 94.99...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I've never seen any of the Leprechaun flicks - how likely are they to offend me?

Also, watching Dracula AD 1972 now and the highlight so far is Stephanie Beacham barking 70s slang at a bewildered Peter Cushing.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    Pertaining to the list (top 25 underrated) Im glad to see Prince of Darkness as well as Clown House on there as i thought both those movies were pretty good. I especially thought Clown House was a pretty solid film. Tonight I picked up Zodiac and Troll Hunter while maybe not horror films entirely i feel they should do the trick.
    Dude, I just bought Zodiac as well.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The only Leprechaun film that offended me was part 4 (Leperchaun in space), i mean it's a f'n Leprechaun in space, lol...

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I'm a member there. am I a fucker?

Go to Best Buy, it's on sale for 94.99...
    Lol its how I talk, take no offense, but before the mod cleaned up the thread, the nitpicking was literally out of hand.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Lol its how I talk, take no offense, but before the mod cleaned up the thread, the nitpicking was literally out of hand.
    I was joking.

I know, mostly everyone there needs max audio, max clarity and max everything to be happy. Sometimes it's a lot to ask for.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Cool article i found with the 25 of the most underrated horror films from the 80's...

Agree with many of these and i was surprised (and happy) to see "Psycho 2" mentioned...
    The Keep is so awesome. Screw the haters! The Entity scared the shit out of me when I saw it back then and Shocker, because of its flaw, is a delight.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Eight days into October and eight horror movies watched so far.

Trick 'r Treat (will be viewed at least twice more before Halloween)
    Dracula
    Night of the Living Dead
    Evil Dead
    The Invisible Man
    Hellraiser
    The Strangers

The eighth film I just finished watching was a movie called 'Mockingbird' that just came out seemingly without any advertisements or trailer. It was released yesterday and is the sophomore effort by Bryan Bertino, who also made The Strangers. Unlike the latter movie this one's a mixed bag. I'm not a fan of found footage excluding The Blair Witch Project but I will say Mockingbird does an excellent job building tension throughout the film and keeping the viewer glued to the screen (computer screen, not movie screen, this thing didn't get a proper theatrical release). He uses the tools he developed in The Strangers to similar effect and it works just as well here. Long, quiet segments and loud frantic noises off screen, playing with scarce lighting and giving us the sense that these characters, no matter if they lock the doors and bolt the windows and hide in their own homes, are still incredibly vulnerable and you get the sinking feeling it's only a matter of time before the monster in the shadow reveals itself.

That said, a few gripes. The plot has immense potential but thins and fizzles out during the last ten or fifteen minutes. I don't know why every single found footage movie feels the need to take the lazy way out when it comes to resolution (I'm looking at you, Paranormal Activity) and the movie is riddled with plot holes. The main characters are very one dimensional and adapt the 'dangerous situation's happening so we're going to suddenly lose all common sense' mentality when things really start going to hell. I had to take an aspirin after the movie ended just because I developed a small headache from how many times the camera kept jerking around.

In the end, it's an okay horror flick. As a fan of The Strangers and seeing how much potential Bryan Bertino has as a writer and director I was hoping for a little something more for his follow up. I don't know why this didn't get a theatrical release. It was made by Universal Pictures and Blumhouse and while it doesn't reinvent the found footage genre, it is an interesting take on the format and it's better than the majority of other found footage movies that have gotten pushed into theatres over the last few years. If shit like Paranormal Activity, Devil's Due, and The Devil Inside can get a marketing campaign and worldwide theatrical releases I wonder why someone at Universal felt Mockingbird couldn't?

Anyway, figured if anyone in this thread was looking for something new to check out that's halfway decent you could do a lot worse than Mockingbird. Anyone have any recommendations for other recently released horror movies?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I have yet to begin watching horror movies this month. Such a slacker.
    Last edited by Swykk; 10-08-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I ended my rewatch of the Hammer Dracula films last night. Why does the last one look so cheap?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    I've never seen any of the Leprechaun flicks - how likely are they to offend me?

Also, watching Dracula AD 1972 now and the highlight so far is Stephanie Beacham barking 70s slang at a bewildered Peter Cushing.
    I liked the first one, and have almost convinced myself Origins was at least worth a viewing. The rest are just silly, imo.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by green View Post
    I liked the first one, and have almost convinced myself Origins was at least worth a viewing. The rest are just silly, imo.
    4 is/was crap. The rest have their moments. The first two are good. The rest are debatable. I oddly enjoy In The Hood, as wacky as it is. Least it has Ice T.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Need to watch this:

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Right now, I'm watching Night of the Demons (the 1988 one). So awfully tacky <3.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Right now, I'm watching Night of the Demons (the 1988 one). So awfully tacky <3.
    I watched Prince of Darkness last night for the first time ever with a friend (his first time also). Great ride!

So, as with talks here and said friend, I mentioned above, I decided to buy the first Hellraiser film on blu-ray. I'm eagerly awaiting it to come in the mail!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Just wanted to point something out:

Critters 4 [1992] = The space one

Hellraiser 4: Bloodline [1996] = Lament Configuration history, and yes, space

Leprechaun 4: In Space [1997] = Fun fact: this took 4 years, 2 days to make it to DVD (2001)

Alien 4: Resurrection [1997] = Only Alien movie to not strongly feature a planet's surface. The only reason Earth was "teased" was to provide "closure" to Ripley's storyline / the franchise.

All of these were meant to end their respective movie franchise... in space, I guess.

--------------------------------------------

As far as Hellraiser III, it is pretty horrible. However, the Cenobites were actually meant to be ridiculous/stupid. The entire movie was supposed to be a satire, a jab at the media and that current generation. Unfortunately, it failed rather terribly.

(Edit): Then there was Jason X in 2002, also meant to serve the same function.
    Last edited by Aywok; 10-11-2014 at 01:58 AM. Reason: changed "parody" to "satire"