Page 12 of 150 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I ordered the deluxe vinyl for the crazy cheap price on the 9th November. It was supposed to ship on the 4th December. I just had a update from amazon.ca saying that they are still trying to locate a copy of it...not got a good feeling about this.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm too broke to afford the mp3s of this right now. Someone help a brother out.

Also, the price of the set will drop in a few months, yeah?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I must say, so far all the remasters have been done well.
    Really enjoying the MCIS one.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i'm still bothered by all glitches in pisces, but yes, this reissue and the first two are superb. as for MCIS, this remaster took a lot of mud out of the original recording and didn't brickwall it to kingdom come! i can finally hear the DOOM explosions in 'where boys fear to tread,' among other major improvements. the bonus discs are also great. a few unnecessary tracks, but overall an awesome set.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

it's just so darn pretty!

the vinyl finally changed its status to "shipping soon" so hopefully they've sorted out whatever bullshit was going on with that...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    a lot of people on amazon.com are reporting serious sound quality issues with the vinyl edition.

I *really* don't like jumping on the grumpy audiophile bandwagon, but unfortunately I have to confirm that there are severe sound issues throughout the MCIS vinyl reissue. As most people have noted, the problem is most noticeable on "Zero", where the vocal seems like it was overcooked to compensate for thinness during the "emptiness is loneliness" part and then left that way throughout the rest of the song. (Apparently someone thought that those of us willing to spend $75 on a 17-year-old Pumpkins record don't already know that Billy Corgan has a thin voice.)

One theory I've heard is that the problem is actually a pressing error affecting sound closest to the center of the disc. I hear a biiiit of distortion on the drums toward the end of "To Forgive" but nothing as bad as "Zero" so I kind of doubt that this is the case, but I don't know much about vinyl pressing so I wouldn't know what to listen for. At any rate, while "Zero" is the worst of the lot, there is plenty of clipping, fluttering, and stereo weirdness to go around.

Don't get me wrong: I was not expecting perfection. MCIS has always sounded weird to me. It is clearly an album worked on by multiple producers and mixers in different studios under different conditions, leading to a ton of inconsistencies in volume and EQ. However, aside from a lot of the guitar sounds being a bit digital and warbly, I never felt that anything really sounded outright bad. Sadly, this version does.

At $75 a pop, there is really no excuse. I'm hoping it is a pressing plant issue, and that these are not the final masters Corgan signed off on. In any case, I'm returning my box tomorrow. It's a real shame because I've wanted this on vinyl for years.
    one guy even got his shipped without a box
    I don't know if anyone else had this experience, but my shipping sticker was put directly on the shrinkwrap and sent out of the Louisville facility, sans box. I was shocked it came this way. Obviously there was cosmetic damage. In their defense, Amazon was good about getting me a replacement set out right away, it will be here tomorrow. As far as the sound goes, mine is pretty distorted throughout, most notably on the inner groove songs, but not one song sounds totally clear. I'm hoping this had something to do with damage during the poor shipping, but since the records look immaculate I feel like it might just be horrid mastering and/or pressing. It's really one of the most distorted 180g releases I've ever heard.
    now i'm wondering if i should cancel my order, wait for a re-press, and bite the bullet on spending more...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    On a completely different topic, I finally tried the Corgan roll at Happi Sushi tonight.

I prefer my beloved Dynamite Roll, sorry Billy.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I noticed most people's boxset, the disc holder looks like purple velvet but mine is blue.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    I noticed most people's boxset, the disc holder looks like purple velvet but mine is blue.
    mine is kinda reddish.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    What's the difference between the regular vinyl lp set and the 250 dollars audiophile lp . Does the more expensive one sound better ?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    mine is kinda reddish.
    mine looks like this

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    What's the difference between the regular vinyl lp set and the 250 dollars audiophile lp . Does the more expensive one sound better ?
    as far as i know, there's only one vinyl reissue, and it's 4 discs, 180g, and people are reporting a lot of sound issues with it.

edit: i see what you're talking about on the SP website. the "audiophile" bundle is the box set, the vinyl, and HD (aka uncompressed) digital files. that's why it's more expensive, because you're getting the vinyl and the 5CD 1DVD box together.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    wow, glad I didn't end up ordering the vinyl. The deluxe cd set is quite tits. I like the remasters, the unreleased stuff makes me feel like i'm experiencing the album for the first time again, and the notes in the book are a good read.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perceptionnexus View Post
    The deluxe cd set is quite tits. I like the remasters, the unreleased stuff makes me feel like i'm experiencing the album for the first time again, and the notes in the book are a good read.
    i agree, except i do feel that the remaster of the album is a bit hot. i can hear some oversaturation/clipping in a lot of the louder songs (the quieter songs sound great, though), so i'm sure that's a big part of why the vinyl has so many issues.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    can't say i've experienced any extra 'heat,' though i can hear some extra compression pumping on stuff like "Jellybelly."

the mastering for vinyl would have been quite different, though, especially in terms of compression. i highly doubt Bob Ludwig just sent the same master off to the CD manufacturer and the vinyl pressing plant. that'd be pretty negligent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Listening to MCIS on Spotify. I can't believe how awesome this album it. I remember picking it up when it first came out. May have to get the remaster. Always hear new things everytime I listen.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i'm through two of the three bonus discs, and they're quite good. i find a lot of the sadlands demos to be a bit boring (i've never been huge on acoustic versions of electric songs, for the most part), but some of this stuff is really, really great.

oh, and my vinyl finally shipped. i'm still wringing my hands about the potential awful-ness of it, but i'm still excited to have it.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i got my vinyl copy from amazon.ca yesterday and it is indeed the defective version. going to return it, get a refund, and purchase a european copy from amazon.uk. no issues there, apparently, and it's worth the extra $50 or so to make sure the fucking record is listenable.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    i got my vinyl copy from amazon.ca yesterday and it is indeed the defective version. going to return it, get a refund, and purchase a european copy from amazon.uk. no issues there, apparently, and it's worth the extra $50 or so to make sure the fucking record is listenable.
    it's actually £140 on amazon.co.uk right now, which is $225 USD. that's a bit more than i'd like to pay. which is really too bad. :/

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    yeah, there was a seller offering it for 85 pounds or so, but wouldn't ship to the US. lame.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    You should go inquire in the Marketplace forum with the collectors -- one of the people in the UK would certainly send it onto you.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i'm going to realign my turntable tonight to isolate any issues on my end (though i'm not honestly expecting that will sort out this issue). might sit tight for a bit to see if the EU price drops after the holidays... not too eager to drop over $200 on four brand new records. i have until january 31st to return this set, so might hang tight and see how this develops.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Mellon Collie reissue is great! When I get some extra cash, I'll definitely be purchasing the CD set.
    This, Aeroplane, and Adore are the ones I was most looking forward to, especially Adore

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    The metric shit-ton of issues on the US Vinyl pressing apparently aren't on the EU version.

*Hugs precious CD set*

Fantastically amazing remaster, by the by. I hope the rest get similar treatment. Bonus CDs are a mixed bag, tracks alternating from stellar to pointless, but on the whole very worth it. The BT 2012 remix of Cupid De Locke is a winner; I want more from this guy.

Hilarious typos in the booklet though: "We Only Come At Night", lol

If Bill's to be believed, James wouldn't let anybody touch "Take Me Down", Billy didn't think it flowed well with the rest of the album, put it on the end of Disc 1, and James got sufficiently pissed that his contributions were from that point significantly lessened as he stopped giving a shit. Funny, because I think it sounds perfect there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    The metric shit-ton of issues on the US Vinyl pressing apparently aren't on the EU version.

*Hugs precious CD set*

Fantastically amazing remaster, by the by. I hope the rest get similar treatment. Bonus CDs are a mixed bag, tracks alternating from stellar to pointless, but on the whole very worth it. The BT 2012 remix of Cupid De Locke is a winner; I want more from this guy.

Hilarious typos in the booklet though: "We Only Come At Night", lol

If Bill's to be believed, James wouldn't let anybody touch "Take Me Down", Billy didn't think it flowed well with the rest of the album, put it on the end of Disc 1, and James got sufficiently pissed that his contributions were from that point significantly lessened as he stopped giving a shit. Funny, because I think it sounds perfect there.
    It would have sounded better as a b-side to Farewell. In fact, knowing it comes up right after it, Take Me Down slightly ruins the end of Porcelina.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my family's tradition is to open one gift each on x-mas eve, and my mom gave me the remastered Siamese Dream box set!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Walter E. Smithe Furniture TV commercials are classics here in Chicago (the Smithe brothers lampoon various holidays, events, the Oscars, a Prince concert, you name it), so this may make sense only to us Chicagoans but this is some classic shit, here:

Billy Corgan, wrestlers, Walter E. Smithe.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Just bought the Gish boxed set and got the Siamese one for free (or vice versa). Awesome.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Just bought the Gish boxed set and got the Siamese one for free (or vice versa). Awesome.
    i still haven't picked up gish (as it's my least favourite classic pumpkins album) but the collector in me is like "DO IT!"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I read somewhere that Machina will be released in 2013 as a double disc remastered set.Flood is remastering the album so it sounds like a Glass and the Ghost Children live set.
    Now,if they go ahead with that and release it,they should include live material,just like happened with Gish,SD and MCIS.Anyone else aware of this?

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/featu...t-laugh?page=4
    http://blogs.detroitnews.com/poptrop...and-mayonaise/

Imagine this shit with proper quality:
    Last edited by Maul; 03-27-2013 at 09:54 AM.