Page 13 of 156 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 113 ... LastLast

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Not everybody is affected the same, though, by seeing someone kill themselves on live TV.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
    I didn't see the big deal about that airing on live tv. Had I not heard of the story before I saw it, I don't know if I would have known he killed himself. Granted, I was watching it on my phone, but it wasn't hugely obvious he had offed himself.
    I don't know how you could have misconstrued that for anything else. You can see him shoot himself in the head.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I almost wonder if the reporter had a little delay between what he was saying and what we were seeing. I would like to think that he started saying "Get off it" once he saw him stop and fumble around. Anyway, the video didn't really bother me. I thought about it briefly but I wish there had been another option for this guy instead of making choices that ultimately lead to this final decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    I don't know how you could have misconstrued that for anything else. You can see him shoot himself in the head.
    For the simple matter all I saw was him put his hand to his head and then fall straight forward. As I said, I was watching it on my phone, so the clarity/detail might not have been great, but there was no recoil from the gun shot, his hand didn't jerk away whatsoever, nothing.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Is... is this from an Onion article?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can't tell. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this was real, but it seems too forced.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Clearly you're not familiar with Bachmann's past histrionics. The thing I find hard to believe is that schools serve anything but pizza-remember it's classified as a vegetable-and other junk food to students.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh I'm very familiar w/ her past (Paul Revere riding to warn the British ring a bell?), but parts of the article scream out that they're fake. Her past is exactly why I wouldn't be surprised to find out it's a genuine article though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone see this video yesterday? The reporter on this story is awesome.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t3#/video/us/2012/09/28/dnt-google-street-view-ufo.kltv

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
    Oh I'm very familiar w/ her past (Paul Revere riding to warn the British ring a bell?), but parts of the article scream out that they're fake. Her past is exactly why I wouldn't be surprised to find out it's a genuine article though.

That was Palin who made that particular gaffe.

(And yes, it's satire.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    That was Palin who made that particular gaffe.
    Crap. Wrong person, same stupid brain.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Umm no

I don't think Mc Donalds will be releasing Pomegranate Double Big Mac any time soon.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketScience View Post
    Went back and read this, week later... It still just... It's... Well I'll just leave this here:
    "We need to stop these terror cakes now, before they infiltrate any further."

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Of course the article is fake. There's no way in hell Michele Bachmann knows what shawerma is.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1....html?ir=World

Taliban gun men waited outside a school to shoot a 14 year old girl because she went to school. She is still alive right now. My brain cannot comprehend this senselessness. I just don't understand how it's 2012 and women, a young girl no less, are treated like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Because, according to the Taliban, it's still only 400 BCE and women gettin' learnin' is a slight against god.

Seriously, how do people in that area put up with the Taliban and al Queda being there, let alone helping them?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Of course the article is fake. There's no way in hell Michele Bachmann knows what shawerma is.
    Well, she may have sat through the credits of The Avengers...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll admit, I had no idea what it was until then.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Nobel peace prize to the European Union. Okaaaaaaaay...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    Nobel peace prize to the European Union. Okaaaaaaaay...
    I know, I mean wtf?!!

Nice tweet from Channel 4 news on this:

Here's what our European Union page looked like on the day the EU wins the Nobel Peace Prize: ironic? pic.twitter.com/M9pugfuw

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Oh... so cynical, from the two world wars (which within a european context were in way one giant mega apocalyptic civil war with a 20 year armistice) through the collapse of the USSR & subsequent integration of the eastern bloc, it's been a pretty remarkable achievement to keep everyone cooperating and trading peacefully, when you bear in mind how long everyone was at war with each other before 1945 (centuries), it's really not that much of a wtf to see the EU's cooperative agenda to get some recognition, even given the shit going in Greece now - this is the worst crisis since the 30s, still hasn't descended into proper international violence, because there's a system of interdependence that makes it a bad idea

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    It's clear we're not a war generation, or we'd appreciate the relative stability of the EU a lot more.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Oh... so cynical, from the two world wars (which within a european context were in way one giant mega apocalyptic civil war with a 20 year armistice) through the collapse of the USSR & subsequent integration of the eastern bloc, it's been a pretty remarkable achievement to keep everyone cooperating and trading peacefully, when you bear in mind how long everyone was at war with each other before 1945 (centuries), it's really not that much of a wtf to see the EU's cooperative agenda to get some recognition, even given the shit going in Greece now - this is the worst crisis since the 30s, still hasn't descended into proper international violence, because there's a system of interdependence that makes it a bad idea
    I can get behind the idea of the EU being a peacekeeping pact within Europe on the whole. It is true that after the two world wars, most of Western and Central Europe has lived in absolute peace ever since. However, the EU, through its members, has taken part in several wars, and with a very shaky justification in some of them (most notable example the final invasion of Iraq). Whatever your opinion on these wars, my idea of peace Nobel-worthy (if there is any merit in this prize anyway) parties does not include countries or communities that have repeatedly taken part in wars. Especially if you take into account the (relative) social turmoil going on in Europe now...racism and fascists on the rise, economic crisis, people losing faith in their European representatives and the whole "unity" idea...it just seems bad taste to give this award to the EU now. And the justification that I hear from some, that this is meant to boost the morale of Europeans in this difficult time, well, thanks for the good laugh, we all feel better now.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Yes but pretty much everyone has blood on their hands if you view a state as a monolithic entity with everyone mutually culpable for foreign policy action, really if we stuck to such a standard we would have to do away with the peace prize altogether, and then we'd have a world which doesn't recognise achievements to that end.

I do see where you're coming from & totally agree that the EU isn't some sort of dove-sphere (in fact UK is probably 2nd only the US in terms of starting shit) but it really depends how you view states, I personally see them as a collective of different agendas pulling in all different directions - every aggressive action carried out by states has its opposition, should we disregard them on account of the aggressive people they share a state with? I say credit where credit's due and the same goes for blame

I mean, is it fair for office workers in NYC to die because of US policies regarding Israel and Saudi? Characterising states & nations is dangerous and not constructive

This prize is in recognition of the EU's steps towards peace since 1945, it's addressing only that, I don't think any kind of majority intends or interprets this as an exoneration for teh various outward aggressions committed by EU states.

Perhaps we do need a wooden spoon of shame prize though.

PS speak for yourself re: fascists here in the Uk we have them on the run & nobody cares for them
    Last edited by Sutekh; 10-12-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I don't know...I get what you're saying, but the timing just feels way off.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    wouldn't hold out for things to get any better

not to harp on, but look how anglo-irish relations have improved - the queen visited ireland without any drama, former IRA members now integrated into government, also the basques got some autonomy and ETA called it quits, we've had a total cessation on the part of the militant left in Germany. Things are way better than I would have put money on. But I appreciate you have golden dawners punching journalists and getting into power down your end

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just watched the video on CNN of his jump. Hoooooooly crap that looks awesome.