Page 14 of 156 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 114 ... LastLast

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    big fucking deal, I fell down the steps at highgate station today, & I wasn't wearing a spacesuit... where's my attention

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll give you attention if those steps are 24 miles long.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    WHA?! This seems like the plot of a James Bond movie, or a Roland Emmerich disaster film...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Holy hell. Fixer's right, I'm sure Roland Emmerich is working on a movie with this very same story. Somehow, the plankton mutate, and feed by removing the salt from salt water. Marine life, on the verge of extinction as a result of the desalinization of the oceans, decides to fight back. They team up with the few surviving aliens left from Independence Day and declare war on humanity, and only the team of Dennis Quaid, John Cusack, and Will Smith can stop them.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I could have sworn there was a thread about Fukushima. Guess not.

Anyway, it's about time a major news agency finally addressed this.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    People are panic buying in my area, and the MTA public trains have been shut off.

Eh wussies can't handle a little rain.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Crumbs earthquake and then a hurricane within a few days of each other!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Not exactly a headline, but since the Indecesion thread got the boot: I dislike him, but I thought Newt's analysis here is surprisingly correct.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...gingrich-pt--2

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    A rich white man blames minorities for what ails America. His name is Mitt Romney, and it's the fault of brown people and sodomites that he can't have his preordained, god given title: POTUS.

PS - It doesn't really make sense to close the election thread. We're all glad the goddamn election is over, but fallout will continue for some time, and Random General Headlines has always been a generally bad idea. Do we really need more proof that this thread sucks the life out of this forum than looking 10 posts down and seeing that the last post was made a quarter of a year ago in August?
    Last edited by Magtig; 11-14-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    HAMAS and IDF slagging each other off on twitter! Bizarre...

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    A rich white man blames minorities for what ails America. His name is Mitt Romney, and it's the fault of brown people and sodomites that he can't have his preordained, god given title: POTUS.

PS - It doesn't really make sense to close the election thread. We're all glad the goddamn election is over, but fallout will continue for some time, and Random General Headlines has always been a generally bad idea. Do we really need more proof that this thread sucks the life out of this forum than looking 10 posts down and seeing that the last post was made a quarter of a year ago in August?
    See that's the beauty of a discussion forum: people can create threads as they see fit. If you think this bares worthy of it's own topic or a touchstone for a broader topic on capitalism and the two-tiered system in America, then feel free to start one.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Well... I mean, I'm not trying to start some conflict, but it belongs in the election thread.

Which I started.
    Last edited by Magtig; 11-14-2012 at 10:11 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Don't you think enough attention was given to the overprivileged white guy during the election?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Red herring.

This thread is a discussion killer.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    No, seriously, I could give two shits about Mitt Romney spouting off sour grapes because he lost an election he and his cronies couldn't buy. Voter suppression, hegemony, political inertia, meritocracy, unregulated campaign finance, etc. these things don't go away once an election is called. These are all a causal relationship to a two-tiered society that is broken. Why isn't there a discussion about Rolling Jubilee for pete's sake?

tl; dr

A thread is a "discussion killer" only if members make it so. (Duh.) If anyone feels that a topic will become lost in another discussion, then please start a new topic on it.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    This thread is a discussion killer.
    I read that and the first thing I thought of was Kyle McLachlan whispering "Fear is the mind-killer!". Carry on.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Uh... right. So that doesn't even really make sense and includes another red herring. Rolling Jubilee has fuckall to do with this thread being a pointless discussion killer, but it's probably the exact type of thing that would wind up getting lost in this POS thread. Since you seem to be so insistent on trying to make this discussion about something other than the matter at hand, how about answering why you haven't already started a Rolling Jubilee thread yourself?

And let me remind you that you're here.

Whatever. I'm back to not caring. I agree with you about the system being completely fucked, it just has nothing to do with the issue I brought up.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Meanwhile, some politician or other public figure plans to say "if you die because you didn't have an abortion, that's god's will" when asked about this, and then refuses to back down from his idiotic statement.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    well, since the election thread is closed, I guess this goes here?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
    Meanwhile, some politician or other public figure plans to say "if you die because you didn't have an abortion, that's god's will" when asked about this, and then refuses to back down from his idiotic statement.
    Won't happen. The political parties are damning this, particularly the Labour party who's in government as part of the coalition. The public are outraged by this and I am just so disgusted and ashamed of this place right now. It feels so odd that I lived down the street from that hospital for four years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Who remembers when they used to make Twinkies, Ding-Dongs and Wonder Bread?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505143_1...t-of-business/

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Good to hear. If this helps the law be changed, her death will not have been in vain.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post

the mayans were right.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post

As of this moment, they still DO (at a plant here in Illinois) but they also make a shit ton of other stuff, including the Little Debbie brand. The union fucked up big time, that game of chicken didn't work out well at all.

http://www.suntimes.com/business/164...e-looming.html

By the way: Twinkies really don't last forever; they only stay fresh for about a month.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-16-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    By the way: Twinkies really don't last forever; they only stay fresh for about a month.
    Like that's going to stop me from cashing in on this.

Everyone loves Twinkies, and in twenty years, they'll pay a fuck ton of money for one, even if it's stale. Nobody liked Crystal Pepsi, but somebody had the foresight to cash in on that

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

I'm gonna buy some Hostess cupcakes and freeze them. They were our food of choice in the Stoned Seventies.

(btw I guess Hostess is gonna sell its patents as part of the windup.)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Like that's going to stop me from cashing in on this.

Everyone loves Twinkies, and in twenty years, they'll pay a fuck ton of money for one, even if it's stale. Nobody liked Crystal Pepsi, but somebody had the foresight to cash in on that
    I actually kinda liked Crystal Pepsi, but fuck knows I'm not paying $100 for a 20 year old bottle of it... And seriously, where do people find this shit?! Did someone ACTUALLY think to themselves in 1992 "This is going to be worth something someday... This is important." or did they find a crate in a storage locker auction or some defunct militia compound's old fallout shelter or something...