Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: "Everything" debuts on BBC1/TR-Zane Lowe Interview (8.19.13)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I really really like the new track. It kickstarted my drinking tonight. Aces.
    Also, did someone say something about a UK tour? Inform? I can't bear listening to Zane Lowe. He is a terrible DJ.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    You've posted this twice. We saw it the first time. Please don't repeat post a request for the song again. That goes for anyone else looking for it. If you look around the internet, you may come up with a copy.
    ?????
    no , I just post it once

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It's one of those tunes that make me want to go outside and look at the sky... or my daughter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It totally get it now. Trent is always pushing the boundaries when it comes to music. Hesitation Marks is an interactive CD. You listen to Everything and it will leave you with hesitation marks.....razor blade not included!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Don't worry, it sounds all poppy and happy but then the chorus kicks in and you can faintly hear the 'wall of noise' in the background - that's just the inevitable crushing disappointment and the emptiness of reality before it all comes crashing down. I'm sure by the end of 'Black Noise' you'll be reaching for the comfort of the razor blades

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I feel like that guy who didn't get Scala tix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hmmm.......ok

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    I'm going to have to listen to it in FLAC, and I'll want to read the lyrics. But at the moment I'm as shocked as anyone. And my gut reaction is a sort of dislike—the same sort of feeling I had for The Decemberists' The King Is Dead: This is just fine, but it's not what I come to this band for. Which is to say, I wouldn't go to Arby's and bitch about the broiled fish they served that day. I've never bought a bottle of scotch and complained it wasn't tequila, but I would be vaguely disappointed if I bought a bottle of scotch and found it only contained plain Irish whiskey. If y'all catch my drift. I'm confused and not as initially ecstatic as I was with "Copy of A." But I don't hate it.

EDIT: I should actually also mention here that, once I figured out what it was supposed to be, so to speak, I came to quite like The King Is Dead. The artist challenged me by doing something relatively unpredictable and once I caught up, it turned out to be something totally respectable even if it wasn't my personal favorite composition.

And, for whomever it was who said we heard this out of context of the album, I think that's probably a sensible thing to keep in mind. It might be worth noting that, assuming "The Eater of Dreams" and "Black Noise" are intro/outro instrumentals and everything else is a vocal track, this is the shortest song on the album, and in its dead center. I honestly don't see Trent releasing what would, in critical analysis terms, be called a comedy (i.e., Merchant of Venice is technically a comedy because everything ends just wonderfully even though it's kind of grisly and bleak in a number of places and doesn't smack of the Jim Carrey shit most people associate with the word "comedy"), I suspect this might be a wonderful contrapuntal eye of the storm type thing. I haven't heard "Disappointed," but sandwiched between something that sounds so positively upbeat as that and something more sour and lonely (which a song called "Satellite" could very well be), it might not be one's favorite Nine Inch Nails song, but it might serve a damned good purpose. Or I could be totally wrong. The song titles before "Everything" seem much more undeniably bleak than the ones after it. So, maybe it will be an LP that ends happily. Which in itself would be an interesting idea to close out the Nine Inch Nails career.

Of course, I'm going on nothing but pulled-from-ass speculation, a very basic idea of dramatic structure, what I know of the way Trent seems to like to structure things, and a number of single-word song titles here.

For all we know, maybe he wrote it as a big "fuck you" to Interscope for that Greatest Hits LP. Like "Cocksucker Blues." "Yeah, Interscope, I've got your new track right here, assholes. Enjoy it. The kids over at the Death Cab for Cutie camp said it was a bit too chipper." However, I doubt that. And suspect that, given a little while, I'll like it just fine. It may never be "And All That Could Have Been" in my book but, hell, I genuinely enjoy "Maybe Just Once" and "Purest Feeling." And it's neat to see Trent do something that's really ballsy considering his fanbase. An album with no guitars, or no synth, or no layers, or live drums might all be different, but none of them inherently defy pretty much everything his long-time devotees have come to see as sine qua non of Nine Inch Nails. Something earnest and possibly even optimistic is maybe the biggest risk he could take with the audience he's got.
    Last edited by Sesquipedalism; 08-19-2013 at 04:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Everything" Can suck donkey balls. I've never had the chance to meet TRez, but I'd tell him to his face that this song Sux.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Firstly, I like it.
    Secondly, this seems to have removed the idea that Hesitation Marks is TDS 2
    Thirdly, (hate to be that guy) but can someone PM me it. (Would've preordered from NIN.com if i'd have known we'd get all the singles first)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    I really really like the new track. It kickstarted my drinking tonight. Aces.
    Also, did someone say something about a UK tour? Inform? I can't bear listening to Zane Lowe. He is a terrible DJ.
    April is all that was mentioned and it will be the full warts and all stage show.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This could've been my favorite HTDA song if Lady Rez were singing, but alas...I have a giant question mark over my head.

It's definitely different and that's why I love NIN. Just reminding myself that as I give it another spin...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    My only complaint is that it sounds like a goodbye to NIN, lyrically. I'm all for Trent being in a happy place and writing upbeat songs if that is how he is feeling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Man, I have loved every HM track I've heard so far, and this is no exception. Different, yes, but isn't he always, and I would certainly expect a drastically different sound or two given how drastically different his life is now.

I remember Maynard saying something about having grown out of/moved on from some TOOL material, and that he saw this as vastly healthier than being stuck. Then again, I've seen plenty of musicians lose that "spark" I liked in their work once their personal lives got satisfying. So, personally, I'm delighted to hear the mood growth amid all the sonic growth of the other tracks. Square deal. Even more excited to hear the whole thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well said, but:

Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    For all we know, maybe he wrote it as a big "fuck you" to Interscope for that Greatest Hits LP. Like "Cocksucker Blues." "Yeah, Interscope, I've got your new track right here, assholes. Enjoy it. The kids over at the Death Cab for Cutie camp said it was a bit too chipper."
    Definitely not, because he wouldn't have included it on the album if he didn't like it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Is this how Cure fans felt when the Cure followed up "Disintegration" with "Boys Don't Cry"?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    if anyone wants it, I have it in Apple Lossless (you can easily convert this to FLAC or whatever). sorry, I put stuff on my iPod and FLAC is not an option. anyway, if you want Everything in high quality, hit me up

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    If the song sounded like the "nin weve come to expect", a la the hand that feeds, only, discipline, everyone would be still complaining, if not more. This is fresh, and new and the chorus fucking jams!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Twilight View Post
    April is all that was mentioned and it will be the full warts and all stage show.
    Rad, thank you.
    I'm drunk, so I'm not gonna go attacking everyone who hates it. Each to their own.
    I like it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chroipahtz View Post
    Definitely not, because he wouldn't have included it on the album if he didn't like it.
    he said during the interview that he almost left it out of the record but decided that "what the hell, I'm Trent Reznor, I do as I fucking please"

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Given my reactions to all these songs, a better name for this album would be Hesitation Twerks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Okay, so I just listened to the full quality 320 MP3 Link that NIN sent out on the preorders on a pair of nice headphones. Let me tell ya, it helps a LOT. the Distorted guitars on the chorus hit A LOT harder then they do on the radio rip. I suggest everyone listen to the full quality version oh nice 'phones before totally hating on the track. The fade out is way more intricate then I initially thought, too. The verses certainly have a pop-punk flavor, which is unexpected, but I always welcome change. But then again, I've always been a sucker for a good pop melody. A pretty good track, IMO.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    The first time I heard the track, my eyebrows nearly popped off of my face. "Whaaaaaa?" The quality of the BBC broadcast really sucked, too, and I'm glad there's a higher quality version out there. The more I listened to it, the more I got sucked in - that didn't happen for me with Came Back Haunted. I wasn't sure what to think on the first pass, but the more I listen to it, the more I really like it - and the more I think this is going to be one of the most polarizing songs in the NIN catalog.

I think it's fucking great, hahaha.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    For those who can't dig it, just remember: "Compared to the rest of the album, "Everything" is virtually a pop tune." So, y'know, don't give up hope. I still skip over THTF more often than not. It happens. This thing though....this is going right onto my 80's playlist. I like it...not for the reasons I normally like NIN, but I like it nonetheless.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    What the hell is he so happy about!!

New order, new wave. Love it!!

Or we all just got punk'd

Everything<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Not So Pretty Now
    Last edited by fortheloveofgod; 08-19-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    Is this how Cure fans felt when the Cure followed up "Disintegration" with "Boys Don't Cry"?
    Disintegration came out in 1989...'Boys Don't Cry" came out in 1980...so um yea.....

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chroipahtz View Post
    Well said, but:

That was tongue-in-cheek. Although that's not to say that good work couldn't come about that way. One of what people tend to think is one of the better pieces of fiction I ever wrote was actually written with the goal of pissing someone off by giving them exactly what they had no use for/didn't want. And I ended up liking it quite a bit.

But yeah, that's why the part of the quote that follows what you quoted of me was "I doubt that."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is a concert opener if ever was one. Maybe it could follow Pinion.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    Disintegration came out in 1989...'Boys Don't Cry" came out in 1980...so um yea.....
    foot in mouth. i learned something today.

that being said, I gave the song a third listen. Needed something more dark and depressing to get the bad taste out of my mouth so I fired up the latest Taylor Swift single.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I've had it on repeat for about 30 minutes and I'm still trying to wrap my head around wtf it is. I think I like it, though.