Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: "Everything" debuts on BBC1/TR-Zane Lowe Interview (8.19.13)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It seems to me, like "Everything" is NIN/Trent in a song. Call me crazy here...

It starts clear, with lyrics about 'surviving everything'. This is early NIN, before the problems he had with drugs and drinking.
    It then gets loud, and hard to listen. Then you hear lyrics about "being who you used to be," this is NIN in the 99-01 era, medicated and falling apart.
    It clears up, again. We come to With Teeth, and more current stuff.
    Then shortly after a "wave goodbye" we go loud again. Trent fights Interscope. 09-13.
    Then, he returns. "I am home/I believe/I am free" Hesitation Marks.

All throughout are lyrics we've heard before. Like a scrapbook arranged in a cheery package. This is NIN in a song - meaning well but frequently falling apart.

It's brilliant.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    We can almost officially say he's with the few who wrote the whole gamma of feelings between suicidal and gloriously happy. Wonder where it ends when it stays "true".
    My opinion about this song doesnt matter -but i wouldnt listen to it if it weren't nin to say it gently.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    He must like Silversun Pickups. That's great. Me too.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    The first time I heard the track, my eyebrows nearly popped off of my face. "Whaaaaaa?" The quality of the BBC broadcast really sucked, too, and I'm glad there's a higher quality version out there. The more I listened to it, the more I got sucked in - that didn't happen for me with Came Back Haunted. I wasn't sure what to think on the first pass, but the more I listen to it, the more I really like it - and the more I think this is going to be one of the most polarizing songs in the NIN catalog.

I think it's fucking great, hahaha.
    I completely agree.

As I posted earlier, it evoked the strongest reaction out of me both as in the context of the music as well as the lyrical content. It's really good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Me please? Stuck with Amazon preorder

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanyrifts View Post
    It seems to me, like "Everything" is NIN/Trent in a song. Call me crazy here...

It starts clear, with lyrics about 'surviving everything'. This is early NIN, before the problems he had with drugs and drinking.
    It then gets loud, and hard to listen. Then you hear lyrics about "being who you used to be," this is NIN in the 99-01 era, medicated and falling apart.
    It clears up, again. We come to With Teeth, and more current stuff.
    Then shortly after a "wave goodbye" we go loud again. Trent fights Interscope. 09-13.
    Then, he returns. "I am home/I believe/I am free" Hesitation Marks.

All throughout are lyrics we've heard before. Like a scrapbook arranged in a cheery package. This is NIN in a song - meaning well but frequently falling apart.

It's brilliant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    The first time I heard the track, my eyebrows nearly popped off of my face. "Whaaaaaa?" The quality of the BBC broadcast really sucked, too, and I'm glad there's a higher quality version out there. The more I listened to it, the more I got sucked in - that didn't happen for me with Came Back Haunted. I wasn't sure what to think on the first pass, but the more I listen to it, the more I really like it - and the more I think this is going to be one of the most polarizing songs in the NIN catalog.

I think it's fucking great, hahaha.

Couldn't agree more, man. And I also think it's fucking great. Polarizing as it already is, fuck it. I'm gonna dance to this mother at the concert like Avril Lavigne on Nickelback's backstage.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPl...24&m=213498563

Reminds me of Maybe Just Once.

I bet this song was meant to be the most "marketable" of the album.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    To be honest, considering the rest of the album and the apparent connection to The Downward Spiral, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a moment where the narrator is experiencing some false happiness. Even with all of his issues, I'm sure there were times where Trent had a good time. Maybe he's reflecting on those moments and how, in the context of the rest of the album perhaps, those moments don't last.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonkal View Post
    Man, I have loved every HM track I've heard so far, and this is no exception. Different, yes, but isn't he always, and I would certainly expect a drastically different sound or two given how drastically different his life is now.

I remember Maynard saying something about having grown out of/moved on from some TOOL material, and that he saw this as vastly healthier than being stuck. Then again, I've seen plenty of musicians lose that "spark" I liked in their work once their personal lives got satisfying. So, personally, I'm delighted to hear the mood growth amid all the sonic growth of the other tracks. Square deal. Even more excited to hear the whole thing.
    When I saw 'Blood Into Wine' I completely understood where Maynard was coming from about his interests diverging from Tool/growing as an artist, and I thought to myself "If they record one more album and I call it quits, that's fine by me. The same thing can be said about Trent Reznor...and the "Wave goodbye" line is probably hinting that this may be the last Nine Inch Nails record, it definitely made me think about it second time I listened to the song. Someone else mentioned earlier that this is no TDS2 but after hearing this track, Hesitation Marks could be The Upward Spiral? And closing the theme of what Nine Inch Nails is. Trent Reznor will continue, although I will understand if he chooses not to make music under the NIN umbrella anymore (maybe more Ghosts albums?).

The song also reminded me to "Not So Pretty Now".

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yo this song is way better than anything I've heard off the album so far. Ive been waiting for him to commit to the "pop" like Discipline on crack for a while now. This is perfect. // The production after the first verse is INSANE. The way those guitars come in on the chorus. Holy fuck. I could listen to this song just from how its mixed and what not for hours. And it makes me happy mood wise.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hani View Post
    if anyone wants it, I have it in Apple Lossless (you can easily convert this to FLAC or whatever). sorry, I put stuff on my iPod and FLAC is not an option. anyway, if you want Everything in high quality, hit me up
    I want it. PM please?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I just listened to my nin pre-order version on headphones, and its even better than the first three listens. I love it. I feel TR and NIN have evolved as I have evolved. Angry depressed teenager, to a recovering drug addict, to a clean, healthy father who is actually optimistic about life and the future.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Anyone pm me with nin preorder quality version? Knew I shouldn't have went with Amazon...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just as speculation, could this song actually be about the sweet release of death after overdosing, or some kind of dementia due to blood loss when trying to commit suicide? The lyrics sound a bit bittersweet, like he's been trying to kill himself and has finally succeeded. Or maybe the "old Trent" has finally killed himself and allowed the new Trent to prosper. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to like, cling to some hope that NIN will never write a happy song. It was just a thought I had while listening to it for the umpteenth time.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bare in mind, when he wrote this it wasn't intended to be for a new album, it was gonna be for a single to tag onto a greatest hits album.
    personally I think it would have been a great way to end the greatest hits album.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by substanceabuse View Post
    Anyone pm me with nin preorder quality version? Knew I shouldn't have went with Amazon...
    Haha, same! I did the Amazon route as well! (The reactions to the free song and asking of the track being removed from the final tracklisting on the NIN facebook page makes me feel so awful and terrible at how entitled people think they are.)
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 08-19-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    Reminds me of Maybe Just Once.
    Heh heh, I thought that as well. I really liked it on the broadcast - sat there with big grin on my face. Just downloaded the single from nin.com - about to give the flac a listen....

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chroipahtz View Post
    Just as speculation, could this song actually be about the sweet release of death after overdosing, or some kind of dementia due to blood loss when trying to commit suicide? The lyrics sound a bit bittersweet, like he's been trying to kill himself and has finally succeeded. Or maybe the "old Trent" has finally killed himself and allowed the new Trent to prosper. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to like, cling to some hope that NIN will never write a happy song. It was just a thought I had while listening to it for the umpteenth time.)
    You're reading into it too much. With all due respect, I don't think what you're saying makes any sense.

I, for one, am happy that Reznor has not gone like the Korn guy, still writing "I hate myself" songs pushing 50.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

this is it right? what the hell did i just listen to? need more

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    I just listened to my nin pre-order version on headphones, and its even better than the first three listens. I love it. I feel TR and NIN have evolved as I have evolved. Angry depressed teenager, to a recovering drug addict, to a clean, healthy father who is actually optimistic about life and the future.
    Where's the high five button?!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    "All I can hear are the tears of 1990s goths." - @icklekitty on fb

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Also, I love the fact Trent premiered the song in the UK even despite getting shafted at Reading & Leeds. I'm glad he still sees the UK as a great place.
    I can't wait until April.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Well, after that, no one can accuse him of just retreading old sounds. Listen 2 sounds better than listen 1. I'm pretty much on the fence on this one. I can see why it hasn't been part of the summer shows. I don't see how you could fit that next to anything else in the set and maintain any fluidity. I do think it'll grow on me, and I don't exactly dislike it right away. I'm just a little meh... But lyrically, I dig that it's easily the most cheerful, happy and hopeful thing the man has recorded. Okay, finishing up listen 2, I do like the layering of the different sounds. Hmm... It certainly has potential. I just don't know what to do with it quite yet. That's not a bad thing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It sounds soooooo bad..... But I can't stop listening.....

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Was it just me or did Trent sidestep the "playing arenas" question?

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    High quality audio of "Everything" mp3 please? I'm on the train headed to work.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Was it just me or did Trent sidestep the "playing arenas" question?
    a bit, although he didn't deny the April tour when Zane said that Trent mentioned it earlier

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Can someone REALLY PM it to me!? I need something to look forward to when I get off of work.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    Also, I love the fact Trent premiered the song in the UK even despite getting shafted at Reading & Leeds. I'm glad he still sees the UK as a great place.
    I can't wait until April.
    Am I missing something here? How were they shafted?