Likes Likes:  0
Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Phoenix

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Phoenix

So as extremely over-played as Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix got (so much so, that I practically wrote this band off entirely hoping to never hear 1901 ever again), I'm actually quite enjoying their new album Bankrupt!. It comes out in April, but it's already leaked onto the interwebs. It pretty much follows the same path that Wolfgang was taking, even including another long mostly instrumental electronic track, but as of right now it's pretty good. Probably only a matter of time before I get sick of this album as well, though.

Anyone else hear it? Thoughts?

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I didn't care for the first single that was released last week, thought it was rather forgettable, but I'm willing to give them a shot again. They write terrific pop songs and I quite liked Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, but my ex-girlfriend has ruined any hope of me loving this band as much as I used to. Suppose I'll give this a spin on my trip to see Tame Impala tonight. Is the album full of hooks though? Just wondering since these guys are now headlining festivals, I'm wondering if the songs will be able to translate to the rock star status they're gaining.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    So as extremely over-played as Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix got (so much so, that I practically wrote this band off entirely hoping to never hear 1901 ever again), I'm actually quite enjoying their new album Bankrupt!. It comes out in April, but it's already leaked onto the interwebs. It pretty much follows the same path that Wolfgang was taking, even including another long mostly instrumental electronic track, but as of right now it's pretty good. Probably only a matter of time before I get sick of this album as well, though.

Anyone else hear it? Thoughts?
    I'm curently listening to it as well now, a couple of my friends were REALLY into WAP and I just thought it was okay at best. I could tell I liked it, it just didn't hit me as much as any other people did. So far, you all seem to be on the right button..it's feeling very similar to the previous record and still full of hooks.

I really do love that album cover though. Guess we'll have to see how I feel after a full listen.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, almost every single song on this album is ready to be a huge radio hit at the push of a button. This album will probably have like 5 singles.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Really enjoyed the new album! Lots of good pop songs with some very memorable hooks (Entertainment, Chloroform, and Bourgeois are instant standouts.) The Eastern flair they added to most of the album was also a surprisingly fun touch (and to think that this band was considered to be clones of the Strokes years ago - they've really evolved their sound into something original.)

They also released 70+ tracks full of demo's to go along with the album. Haven't listened to them yet, but I found it cool that a band would release so much cutting-room material to their fans.