Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Coachella 2013

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    I got my wristband last week. I didn't even get an e-mail for it. So pissed!
    JJDaddyO tweeted Coachella with that gripe. I got the weekend 2 email days ago and have watching it take a slow boat from Austin. This is the difference between the United States Post Office and United Parcel Service. Last year it was UPS and the delivery guy hunted me down for my signature. The post office only does that if it's certified. Apparently "Priority Mail, Signature Required" is an option service.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Scored a free ticket from my sister! YES. TRENT AND EL-P fawk.

Camping for the first time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What else is good to do while in Indio palms springs area. for the First timers

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Eat at Red Robin.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Set times have been posted, and they're total bullshit

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    ^Especially Friday the fuck.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Maybe I can still get tickets to the Pamona HtDA gig, and that way I can see The Stone Roses play their full set.

I hate this shit. New Order vs Sigur Ros (with a large chunk of Richie Hawtin thrown away in the mix), Stone Roses vs HtDA, Jurassic 5 vs Grinderman, Nick Cave vs OMD with a side of vs Wu Tang, Tame Impala vs Rodriguez, Puscifer cuts into El-P... ugh.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Bands are still playing at 12am?? Damn, must be nice to be at a festival with no curfew... here's looking at you lollapalooza and you're 10pm curfew, seriously!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Bands are still playing at 12am?? Damn, must be nice to be at a festival with no curfew... here's looking at you lollapalooza and you're 10pm curfew, seriously!
    If I remember correctly (as I was upfield watching Phoenix), but I heard that Billy Joe from Green Day bitched about the curfew when they played in 2010 and played like 20 minutes past it just to protest having to stop at 10.

As for Coachella... Sigur Ros vs. New Order? Fucking OUCH.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Good thing I'm seeing Sigur Ros tonight, so I can see New Order.

Friday looks like I'll go: IO Echo>Deathfix>Youth Lagoon>Stars>Johnny Marr>Japandroids>Modest Mouse>Beach House>Blur>Stone Roses

Very bummed I'm missing Grinderman and Jurassic 5.

Saturday: Trash Talk>Action Bronson>Danny Brown>2Chainz>Bat for Lashes> Violent Femmes>Grizzly Bear>Postal Service>Pusha T>Franz Ferdinand>New Order

Sunday: Ghost>DIIV>Gaslight Anthem>Grimes>Dinosaur Jr>Tame Impala>Vampire Weekend>Nick Cave>Dead Can Dance

Bunch of shit I'll be missing out on. That's how stacked this lineup is.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    assuming that the set times remain the same for the second weekend, I guess I'll be doing:

FRIDAY: Youth Lagoon (there's no way I'm getting there, setting up my tent, and walking in there before 2pm) -> food break -> Aesop Rock -> Johnny Marr -> Japandroids -> Four Tet -> Modest Mouse -> Beach House -> dinner break -> Grinderman -> catch the end of Jurassic 5's set -> The Stone Roses -> catch the end of How to Destroy Angels

SATURDAY: Abjo -> Trash Talk -> food break/whatever, maybe swing by and see some of Wild Nothing's set? -> Danny Brown -> Dropkick Murphys -> Cafe Tacuba -> Puscifer -> catch the end of El-P -> see Grizzly Bear play in a ridiculously overpacked tent -> Spritualized -> Descendants -> dinner break -> beginning of Richie Hawtin -> New Order -> catch the end of Sigur Ros if possible?

SUNDAY: Droog -> Ghost -> lunch break -> Kurt Vile -> Dinosaur Jr -> split it between James Blake and Social Distortion and an early dinner -> Rodriguez -> Father John Misty -> Nick Cave -> Wu Tang -> Dead Can Dance

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    holy shit The Stone Roses are a terrible live band

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    holy shit The Stone Roses are a terrible live band
    Compared to Blur who put on one of the best sets I've seen from anyone. Stone Roses were good, everyone had their cues, but Ian was not into it at all. I'll post more later, but following Blur was a tough act to follow. Still, I enjoyed it more than if I would've seen HTDA.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Is every act recorded and streamed on YouTube? (I'm really only asking about Puscifer.)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    (I'm really only asking about Puscifer.)

Yes, Puscifer will have their performance streamed. You're going to have to put on your big fanboy pants and figure out how to navigate your way to the stream all by yourself though.

On a side note, I hate to admit it, but the biggest surprise of Coachella day 1 for me was that Infected Mushroom has apparently transformed into an act that isn't deserving of utter mockery. I couldn't believe it.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Yes, Puscifer will have their performance streamed. You're going to have to put on your big fanboy pants and figure out how to navigate your way to the stream all by yourself though.
    Well excuuuuse me for not caring much about any of the other acts. Well other than HTDA, which I'll be seeing on Thursday and I'm trying my hardest to avoid spoilers of. Thanks for your help(?).

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Puscifer plays at the same time as EL-P and Bat for Lashes, don't see why anyone would miss either for Puscifer.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Puscifer plays at the same time as EL-P and Bat for Lashes, don't see why anyone would miss either for Puscifer.
    The vast majority of opinions I've seen across the internet agree that Puscifer is a live band and their live show and energy blows away anything they've done in the studio. Just my two cents. I don't care for EL-P and I don't know who Bats for Lashes is though, so I might not be the best person to be talking about this.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Really? Because the two times I've seen Puscifer have been underwhelming or average at best. Seeing Puscifer makes me long for going to a Tool concert, and I hate Tool.

Anyway, yesterday was good. Got a late start, but was there in time to see Japandroids who got a late start but were awesome as usual, I've yet to see them underperform, only wish the crowd was a little more into them. Modest Mouse were next and they were very good. Isaac was drunk and talking, but they sounded great. They closed with "Float On" and the power was cut with two minutes left in the song and they kept playing. It was sort of hilarious, but they exceeded my expectations. Yeah Yeah Yeahs came on after and thy were good. The beginning of their set was strong and energetic, but the middle of it seemed lacking and the momentum was killed. My only problem is with the It's Blitz songs, which utilize drum machines more. The live drumming on "Zero" and "Heads Will Roll" were very weak in my opinion and sort of took me out of it. They were good, but they should position their songs better within the setlist.

Blur, however, were probably the best headlining set I've seen outside of Arcade Fire at 2011's Coachella. Damon seemed strung out near the beginning but picked it up through each song. In the middle of the set they did "Coffee and TV", "Tender", "Parklife" and "Song 2" in succession and it was mindblowing. There wasn't an elaborate setup or lights, and they brought in backup singers and a horn section, but simplicity was good and they were awesome, not going to witness anything like that the rest of the weekend.

Stone Roses...well. The band sounded great. Remi is a monster on the skins. Ian though, looked like he didn't want to be there. He was moderately dancing and his voice was off. It started poorly, but they improved throughout. The crowd was also sparse, so that was a factor. It wasn't bad, but I'd rather have Blur close instead of the Roses. I don't like HTDA at all, so I'm not upset I missed them, but I heard Earl Sweatshirt had Tyler, Domo, and Flying Lotus as his DJ, so I am pissed about missing that.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Well excuuuuse me for not caring much about any of the other acts.
    If the only band on the whole three day lineup that you care about is a Tool side project, you might be a fanboy. At the very least, maybe you should check out some of the other bands playing and thereby expose yourself to music that isn't directly related to Tool or Nine Inch Nails.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm a huge Tool fan, and I can't believe people actually like Puscifer. I probably won't see Tool again, because Maynard clearly doesn't care about that hand anymore.

hope you guys are having fun at Coachella, watching Hot Chip now.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Upon rewatching Infected Mushroom's insanely ridiculous set from last night, please let me redact all praise I might have unfortunately given them. They are fucking dorks, and despite them dropping the whole "we're sorta like a rock band!" thing, they can still suck it.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Never heard of them, which- given this review- is perhaps a good thing.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Have any good rips of full performances surfaced yet? Not YouTube streams from the Coachella's channel; I'm talking about mp4 and xvid rips I can actually save in my hard drive. I only see an inconvenient .ts rip of HTDA's set that a kind ETS member made and a few songs from Blur's set that surfaced so far....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Dime's got a few.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Coachella 2013

Check RITC

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks - found a few on Dime (Blur, HTDA, YYY's, and a few others so far)

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Got some time here to do some writeups.

Saturday:

I started with 2 Chainz. He was better than expected to be honest. He had a backing band, came out on time, and delivered a very good set to an overpacked tent. His rapping isn't for everyone obviously, and it was goofy at times, but he made the most of a mid afternoon slot. The crowd sing along to "I'm Different" was awesome. Bat for Lashes played afterward to a crowd that was a third of the size of 2 Chainz, but she still did fine. She was dancing, seemed to be in a good mood, and everything from the past album sounded good. Not to mention the cute outfit she wore. A very good act to beat out the heat.

Violent Femmes were up next and delivered one of the best surprises of the week. Their set had more people than Blur and Stone Roses combined, and they sounded terrific. I mean, they opened up with "Blister in the Sun" and had one of the best singalongs of the weekend. They mentioned they hadn't played in six years, but they didn't miss a beat. I then hopped to see Portugal. the Man, and they impressed me. I've seen them a handful of times and while they're practically a jam band, they're a fucking good one. Crowd was going nuts and they owned it, I'm proud of how far they've come.

Grizzly Bear then played to a packed, but not overcrowded tent. I saw them earlier in the week, but this was probably the best time I've seen them. The crowd was into it, they sounded perfect, and were perfect for the sun going down. Was glad to hear "Sleeping Ute" and "While You Wait for the Others", I hope to God, these guys get bigger. I walked over to see the Postal Service and they were very good. Ben was into it, Jenny was fantastic, and the songs translated well. It was great finally getting a chance to hear "We Will Become Silhouettes", and the crowd seemed to know most of the words. It seemed like Give Up was a transcendent record for everyone my age, so it seemed like a special moment for every 20 something Coachella attendee.

Franz Ferdinand then played to a tent, and you know what? They were awesome. Everyone acted like it was still 2003, and knew all the words. People were dancing, and the band, despite declining popularity and a set position that wasn't favorable, seemed happy. They looked like they were enjoying every minute of it and so was I. I was pissed they didn't play "The Fallen", but I came out happy. I waited in the tent for New Order who played the tent last, and they delivered my third favorite set of the weekend. Bernard sounds great, and with no Peter, the band still looked and sounded like nothing changed. It turned into a dance party for most of the set and despite missing R. Kelly show up with Phoenix, I was happy I stuck with New Order (Sigur Ros also apparently delivered a rousing set at the same time, but I saw them on Wednesday, which was a killer show). Then they did an encore of Joy Division tunes and I was in heaven. Their video screens had photos of Ian and a flash that said "Forever Joy Division" and I nearly wanted to cry. It was one of those special moments where everyone there had that same emotional stance. Just an awesome Coachella moment.

Give me a few, and I'll post Sunday's writeup in about half an hour.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    We started Sunday off with Grimes. She was okay, but when it's only two backup dancers and you fiddling with your pants and loops for a whole set, it got tired after a bit. Still, the crowd lost their shit during "Oblivion" and she played to a very packed tent, Maybe in a couple of years she'll improve, but for now, it was just okay. Dinosaur Jr on the the other hand, those guys still go off. The crowd was moshing (myself included) and the crowd was sparse but appreciative of them. It was a little alarming seeing a legendary band get a small crowd, but they still wrecked it. I love these guys, and I've never seen a bad Dino Jr show.

I stayed at the same stage for Tame Impala who I had a rail spot for. These guys are just the best rock band around. Their blend of psychedelic rock went over well and the crowd was going nuts at any of the Lonerism cuts like "Feels Like We Only Go Backwards" and "Elephant". I'm pretty sure these guys are going to be a huge fucking deal by the next time they put out another album. Main Stage had Vampire Weekend afterward, and I know popular opinion on this board is negative, but fuck it, these guys are on a level that not many other bands are. It seemed like everyone knew every song to the first album and Contra, and they have awesome energy on stage. Ezra is a hidden gem on guitar and their music feels like it was made for festivals. "A-Punk" got the asses shaking, and "Cousins" and "Giving Up the Gun" were splendid. Judging by the new songs they played, their new album is going to be darker, more mature, and very good. At a time were I think America is lacking notable young bands who can headline and hold their own, Vampire Weekend look like they're going to be that band for us, and I'm more than okay with that.

Just as I thought Vampire Weekend were going to steal Sunday night, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds delivered the best set of the weekend. Nick just owns the stage, he has frontman in his blood, he's hopping around, screaming, getting in the crowd, and just upstaging everyone. "From Her to Eternity" and "Red Right Hand" were fantastic. Then came "Stagger Lee". From what I was told, he fucked up some of the lyrics, but I didn't mind because he made it the performance. It was intense, it was bold, it was everything you expect from a band who keeps upping the ante this late in their career. "Mercy Seat" followed up and it was nuts, emotionally draining, and breathtaking. I'm willing to bet a good portion of the crowd were there waiting for RHCP, but I bet Nick Cave won them over.

I ended my weekend with Wu Tang Clan, and they were better than I thought. Last time I saw them, they only had four guys, one of them being Masta Killah, and they did a bunch of shit off Iron Flag. This performance redeemed that. 40,000 strong in the crowd and it seemed like everyone knew every fucking lyric to every fucking song. It was a huge party, and the group seemed like having a great time. They even had an orchestra. It was a great way to end a weekend, and WU TANG FOREVER!!!!

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    you passed on Dead Can Dance? From what I caught from the stream, that was the highlight of the whole show for me