Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Coachella 2013

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Nick Cavechella!!!

Love this lineup, ballsiest lineup they've had. Blur and Stone Roses as headliners, and the undercards are stacked. Fucking Grinderman who we all thought broke up, and motherfucking Jurassic 5! I still think someone will be added on Friday as a headliner.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Ughh some nice names and worth the price but the headliners are the worst they have ever had . The sub headliners own this. Defiantly not the best coachella . I will still say 2010 eats this alive

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    2010 was the best names wise, other than that it was overcrowded. Only problem is RHCP, this is a lazy headliner like their Black Keys booking last year.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    wow so glad grinderman is obviously NOT dead. hope they play other shows tho.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    the headliners are (outside of Stone Roses) lame, yeah, but the rest of the lineup is the best it's been since forever.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    At second glance Coachella 2013 looks fantastic. I was easily to say it sucked when seeing the The red Hot Chili Peppers and Phoenix Headline two of the three nights. The rest of the card actually looks fantastic. I might go and Nick cave , mainly, is probably the one to pull me over plus many bands I have adored over my life. Lou Reed, dead Can Dance, Sigur Ros, Blur,YYY, Bassnector, How to destroy angels,Wu tang, Jurassic 5, SPIRITUALIZED WOW, plus many fucking more. I will probably go by myself and meet up with some people. Hopefully I can find a price ticket face value on the weekend. I am sure I can. Honestly I can't say this is better than 2010 but its still a very goo lineup once you get over the headliners.
    Last edited by Rdm; 01-25-2013 at 07:23 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    SPIRITUALIZED WOW
    Yup! Hope I get to see/hear their performance at some point.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Also think those are the worst headliners they have ever had.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    of course grinderman didn't break up... all four members are currently employed in the bad seeds :P. i'm sure they'll switch back and forth whenever they feel like it, probably for shows and less so for albums.

cool to see dead can dance, omd, & blur on here... stone roses suck live, so don't get too excited about it. ian's voice is downright shot. however, most exciting is the three o'clock reunion!

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Friday headliners are awesome. But if you go to a festival for the headliners, you're doing it wrong. There's 14 hours of music each day, if the last 75 or 90 minutes of music playing bothers you, then festivals are not for you. Plenty of awesome stuff to dig through, and good thing about this, is that while headliners are playing, there's other bands playing. Biggest WTF's go to The xx being the second band billed on Saturday, and Phoenix as a headliner instead of Vampire Weekend.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    yeah, the xx headlining over new order is kind of baffling to me...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Coachella 2013

I hope many of the acts play around town like the past few years.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    in general, when bands are playing those "secret gigs" around Coachella time, they're breaking their contract. The smaller bands can get away with it (especially if it's at REALLY tiny gigs), but you rarely see the bigger acts doing that sort of thing, unless you're going to catch a gig in the bay area.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 01-25-2013 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Some great bands. I'm not gonna make it down but this should mean some great shows in the Bay Area in April. Last year there was so many shows that it was hard to actually pick who to see.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I'm hoping for dead can dance show in San Francisco so bad !!!!!!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    despite what i said about stone roses sucking live, this is still a frustrating affair:

http://whoarethestoneroses.tumblr.com/

god dammit, i lost my virginity to that record... and 'i wanna be adored' is the first bassline i learned to play.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    despite what i said about stone roses sucking live, this is still a frustrating affair:

god dammit, i lost my virginity to that record... and 'i wanna be adored' is the first bassline i learned to play.
    The most frustrating part is it's people like this (who don't even really like music and have never heard of 99% of the bands on the lineup) who make it so hard to get tickets. The early lineups were great, and they didn't even sell out. At some point, "going to coachella" became this big thing that you do, even if you don't really care about any of the actual music.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post

I'm not shocked. I get why the Stone Roses are a big deal to you, but I don't get why they're a big deal to an audience for an enormous festival in California. Yes, I've listened to the music. Yes, I know their place in history. And when you get down to brass tacks, they left behind one good album and nothing else of consequence.

Edit: apologies for trolling. I'm not trying to get a rise out of anyone. I just find "Who the fuck are the Stone Roses?" to be a pretty valid response, especially coming from Americans under 25, aka the people I thought Coachella was marketing to.
    Last edited by BlueCalx; 01-25-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCalx View Post
    I'm not shocked. I get why the Stone Roses are a big deal to you, but I don't get why they're a big deal to an audience for an enormous festival in California. Yes, I've listened to the music. Yes, I know their place in history. And when you get down to brass tacks, they left behind one good album and nothing else of consequence.

Edit: apologies for trolling. I'm not trying to get a rise out of anyone. I just find "Who the fuck are the Stone Roses?" to be a pretty valid response, especially coming from Americans under 25, aka the people I thought Coachella was marketing to.
    I don't know if that's entirely fair. I think that The Stone Roses are an important enough band that even if you aren't into that kind of music, you should at least be familiar with the name. I guess I'm also in the minority in that I think The Second Coming is an underrated album. Either way, they're a bigger deal than Phoenix, who have no business headlining, never mind that they're billed above New Order.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I don't know if that's entirely fair. I think that The Stone Roses are an important enough band that even if you aren't into that kind of music, you should at least be familiar with the name. I guess I'm also in the minority in that I think The Second Coming is an underrated album. Either way, they're a bigger deal than Phoenix, who have no business headlining, never mind that they're billed above New Order.
    I am into that kind of music, though! Like, really into it. Everything that came out of Britain in between, say, 1983 and 1998 is my shit, I've got loads of that stuff kicking around. That's why I don't get it. I agree that that first Roses LP is a really special album, and "I Wanna Be Adored" ranks in my top ten songs OAT. Thing is, though, there are a lot of special albums. New Order made several. Forget headlining beneath the xx or Phoenix, I wonder if it chaps New Order's asses that they're billed below the Roses.

I won't split hairs with you over Second Coming, but god, what a fantastic punchline that record's title is. Put out one of the biggest disappointments in the entire rock canon and title it Second bloody Coming, Jesus Christ, these guys should be headlining, but not at Coachella, they should be headlining at Just For Laughs.

All joking aside, I don't think there's any ground to be gained debating the Stone Roses' merit as a band or relevance, whatever "relevance" even is. Either they mean something to you or they don't. If they were headlining at something like Reading or even Glasto, I wouldn't have posted anything, I would've just thought, "Of course". They're not, though. I think they'll be playing to a baffled crowd of people impatiently waiting for Blur.

I'll take the contrarian side, too, and argue for Phoenix as headliners. Unlike every other headliner this year, they are not a nostalgia act, and they have new material to promote that people are actually excited to hear. Personally, I'd prefer to see younger bands headline things like Coachella rather than people from the '90s who are thinking about the dent they just put in their mortgages as they play to people half their age, but maybe that makes me a freak. Who's to say?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The Stone Roses broke the Guinness Record for selling the most tickets in fastest time in UK history last year. They shifted like 250.000 tickets in the space of a few minutes. For 3 huge shows, here im not joking but they are almost as revered as The Beatles.

I never realized they were that big in the States either i know they had a sort of big cult following. They could have been big over there they had the same manager as Guns N Roses but they were the most difficult band of all time. I think its good that they are introducing a new generation to this band. I agree they are overrated but they were a good band either way. im not being difficult on purpose but i actually prefer Second Coming to the first album. Love the stonerish Led Zeppelin influence.
    It good they are playing again they ended in such a disgraceful way google Reading Festival 1996 dear god Ians voice!
    Last edited by Highly Psychological; 01-25-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    the stone roses are just as revered and legendary as my bloody valentine, and just a hyped, for better or for worse. @BlueCalx , i usually feel you on this stuff, but your assessment of the band couldn't be more off, sophomore slump aside. coachella is pretty notorious for featuring rare performances from reunited bands or old, nostalgic favorites, so why is this one such a surprise for everybody? violent femmes are back again after breaking up, bauhaus had a prime spot for their first show since 1998, and so on and so forth...

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    You know, everywhere else in the world, this lineup wouldn't have any complaints. The Stone Roses and Blur are huge everywhere else but here. This reminds me of the old lineups, where they would book the biggest reunions and people came out to see these reunions. Somewhere back around 2008, the festival skewed more mainstream artists and bad EDM. This lineup is a throwback, I love it, I love the undercard, and I love the exclusivity of a handful of the artists.

As for Phoenix, Coachella has always wanted to break new headliners. I don't know if Phoenix are big enough to headline right now, but if they have another hit on this LP like "1901" or "Liztsomania", then it works. I would've thought Vampire Weekend would've headlined instead, but Goldenvoice is obviously going all in with Phoenix. Jack Johnson, The Killers, Gorillaz, Arcade Fire, and The Black Keys were all headliners that people thought couldn't carry a bill, with the exception of Johnson, they did fine with their gambles. Time will tell if Phoenix are credible enough to headline, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them at the top of festival bills for the rest of 2013.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    I don't know if Phoenix are big enough to headline right now, but if they have another hit on this LP like "1901" or "Liztsomania", then it works. I would've thought Vampire Weekend would've headlined instead, but Goldenvoice is obviously going all in with Phoenix. Jack Johnson, The Killers, Gorillaz, Arcade Fire, and The Black Keys were all headliners that people thought couldn't carry a bill, with the exception of Johnson, they did fine with their gambles. Time will tell if Phoenix are credible enough to headline, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them at the top of festival bills for the rest of 2013.
    Seeing as how massive Phoenix's crowd was when they headlined Lolla in 2010, I'd say they are definitely ready to be a headliner. It also must be a good indicator of how faithful the record company is as to how well people will respond to the new album. Do I care about Phoenix? Not really, but I can see it.

As for this years lineup, sure the headliners aren't GREAT but the undercard is so massively stacked that it doesn't matter. This is probably one of the best lineups I've seen in a long time. And keep in mind that Coachella always has like 5 headliners at once, so everyone freaking out about The xx and whoever else being billed higher than New Order needs to remember that New Order will still probably play a full set on that one stage next to the main stage.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    As for this years lineup, sure the headliners aren't GREAT but the undercard is so massively stacked that it doesn't matter. This is probably one of the best lineups I've seen in a long time. And keep in mind that Coachella always has like 5 headliners at once, so everyone freaking out about The xx and whoever else being billed higher than New Order needs to remember that New Order will still probably play a full set on that one stage next to the main stage.
    I hope so!

New Order being on the bill officially sealed the deal for me. I've never seen them live, and I've always wanted to. I understand that they'll probably be slotted as a headlining act, but at the same time, I think the complaint is more about the placement on the bill.

Maybe I'm out of touch with the kids, but Phoenix hardly makes a blip on my radar. I know who they are, and I've heard some of their songs, but I don't get it. I'm not presumptuous enough to think I have a better understanding on what draws people in (in fact, I don't think I am especially informed on that note), but I just am shocked that New Order isn't as big of a deal as Phoenix.

I mean, I don't really like Blur very much either (there's a few songs I like), but I understand why they're headlining. It makes sense.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 01-26-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    How is New Order now of days anyways live ? I am excited to hear Blur if I end up going. I saw phoenix play some of their set in 2010 and they played a pretty great set. But really if I go my main acts will be Dead can Dance, Nick Cave, Modest mouse, Lou Reed-Still a little scared how he will sound, Spiritualized, Wu-tang will be fun if they stick till their old classics, James Blake, Richi Hawtin-fuck yay! The Yeah Yeah Yeahs and New Order. A lt more but those are the main acts and I will have fun getting to know everyone else.

Kid Charlemagne

Do you have hotel reservations and who are you going with?

When tickets go on sale on tuesday are they damm near impossible or was that just a fluke with all the pop acs like last year?
    Last edited by Rdm; 01-26-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    New Order were billed second behind NIN in 2005. I have no problem with Postal Service or Sigur Ros being billed higher, but The xx, as much as I root for them, seems odd to be in a slot playing right before a headliner.

I was there at Lolla in 2010(how you and I didn't meet, since I always enjoy your posts is beyond me), they had a big crowd, but MGMT who played in the daytime the day after on that same stage had a bigger crowd. Hell, I remember seeing Phoenix at 4 PM after Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix came out at Austin City Limits in 2009, and their crowd was sparse at best on a side stage. They're also billed as a headliner for Jazzfest, so there's faith in them obviously.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    New Order were billed second behind NIN in 2005. I have no problem with Postal Service or Sigur Ros being billed higher, but The xx, as much as I root for them, seems odd to be in a slot playing right before a headliner.

I was there at Lolla in 2010(how you and I didn't meet, since I always enjoy your posts is beyond me), they had a big crowd, but MGMT who played in the daytime the day after on that same stage had a bigger crowd. Hell, I remember seeing Phoenix at 4 PM after Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix came out at Austin City Limits in 2009, and their crowd was sparse at best on a side stage. They're also billed as a headliner for Jazzfest, so there's faith in them obviously.
    MGMT's crowd was insane. It was pretty much the same as Passion Pit's from last year's Lolla. Filled up the entire north field, and got smaller and smaller after every song played. Assuming with Passion Pit's was because everyone was heading over to see M83, though.

And seriously man, if we ever find ourselves at the same show we definitely need to finally meet up.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    MGMT's crowd was insane. It was pretty much the same as Passion Pit's from last year's Lolla. Filled up the entire north field, and got smaller and smaller after every song played. Assuming with Passion Pit's was because everyone was heading over to see M83, though.

And seriously man, if we ever find ourselves at the same show we definitely need to finally meet up.
    MGMT was nuts that year, I think they had the biggest crowd on the North Field that whole weekend. I heard Passion Pit was huge last year, outdrawing Sabbath who they played before.

And for sure man, if I'm in the area for Lolla again or for a show or for Kanrocksas (assuming it lasts), we'll meet up. You have an open invitation from me if you want to come down to Austin as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    Kid Charlemagne
    Do you have hotel reservations and who are you going with?

When tickets go on sale on tuesday are they damm near impossible or was that just a fluke with all the pop acs like last year?
    I'm staying with Dra and her bro like I did last year, at least that's what I think.

Not sure how the ticket situation will be considering this lineup doesn't scream out mainstream appeal. You may be in luck when tickets go on sale, and from what I heard, prices on Stub Hub are going down in case you need to scalp.