Page 449 of 528 FirstFirst ... 349 399 439 447 448 449 450 451 459 499 ... LastLast
Results 13,441 to 13,470 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    TR's vocals on this tour have been top notch. His highs are especially impressive. I wonder if this has anything to do with him slimming down the last few years. I noticed that he wasn't really able to hit certain notes, tones when he was "swol neck trent"

I was always interested to know what sort of work out regimen he was following. The only reference to this I ever read was an interview with Greg from Dillinger Escape Plan where he mentioned seeing TR's dressing room and making note of huge weights and a mountain of supplements.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    TR's vocals on this tour have been top notch. His highs are especially impressive. I wonder if this has anything to do with him slimming down the last few years. I noticed that he wasn't really able to hit certain notes, tones when he was "swol neck trent"

I was always interested to know what sort of work out regimen he was following. The only reference to this I ever read was an interview with Greg from Dillinger Escape Plan where he mentioned seeing TR's dressing room and making note of huge weights and a mountain of supplements.
    Agreed about TR's vocals. Easily the best I've personally seen him do live. Best sounding since the With Teeth era, but i didn't get to see that lineup live in person sadly

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microwave Jellyfish View Post
    Fans shouting "YEAH YOU ARE!" after the "I am still right here" line a'la Panorama 2017 should become a tradition.
    Absolutely not. I never want NIN to be that kind of band, and def. don't want Trent/uber fans to lean into that mentality.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    I want Alessandro's version of A Warm Place in studio.
    I want Alessandro and Mariqueen to cover Illum Tangendo

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Bill Nye’s new book is called “Everything All At Once” and that name is now permanently associated with GBDTD for me.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    TR once again (live stream Q&A) saying how important it is to do what you feel is right; and how anger still plays a part in what he produces (NIN). He also said he hates music videos and only likes a few of NINs, many end up in the trash.

This video has always been my favourite. Such a powerful song. There's something strange about watching people create this very high energy, yet they all look depressed and sad. Another example is the end of Nirvana - Aneurysm (Muddy Banks)... at the end of the very loud and fast song with a lot of energy you hear Kurt quietly say "thank you". That always get me LOL.

Anyways... I wonder if Manson was like TRs alter ego; TR kind of used MANSON to bring in and channel some new "vibes" which TR wanted in his life and music (less synth pop and more dark).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It was cool of Trent to open up about how he wanted the band to sound tougher after PHM and how he was influenced by some pressure from fans, but tried to do what he felt was honest/right. I think a lot of us, me included, feel like Trent always has a master plan, but at one time he was really insecure and unsure of what to do.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post

I noticed Trent never lets anyone peak into his workout life nor does he even talk about it, he most likely doesn't want to come off as "that guy." You know the one, constantly bragging about their workouts, taking gym selfies and plugging protein. There's nothing wrong with hitting the gym but I hate it when people constantly have to tell the world they are in the gym. Nobody gives a shit how long you were on an elliptical.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 11-21-2018 at 12:16 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    I noticed Trent never lets anyone peak into his workout life nor does he even talk about it, he most likely doesn't want to come off as "that guy." You know the one, constantly bragging about their workouts, taking gym selfies and plugging protein. There's nothing wrong with hitting the gym but I hate it when people constantly have to tell the world they are in the gym. Nobody gives a shit how long you were on an elliptical.
    Agree. I also find it interesting that hes a celebrity able to keep personal and professional life seperate on a publicity level. I mean, we still dont know kid 3's name, and all of the interviewers seem to know already not to ask about his personal life with the queen and children. If he talks about it, he does so vaguely, like speaking about how the lyrics to closer seem really weird when dropping kid off at school and having other parents around, or how his kids favorite song was less than and he had to stop and think about how he curses in the song.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Speaking of Trent's workout life.... I found this really old interview with Greg Puciato talking about Trent's dressing room and all of the weights and shit that were in it at the time. https://www.sosuave.net/forum/thread...reznor.125485/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    Speaking of Trent's workout life.... I found this really old interview with Greg Puciato talking about Trent's dressing room and all of the weights and shit that were in it at the time. https://www.sosuave.net/forum/thread...reznor.125485/
    Speaking of Greg Puciato, I'd be so into a TR & The Black Queen collaboration of sorts. Also when I was first getting into NIN as a teenager it seemed so badass to me that TR had both really interesting music as well as having muscles/being really in shape. He's been one of my biggest role models of sorts as to what I want to look and do when I'm older.
    Last edited by Steven; 11-21-2018 at 11:43 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    It's kind of funny how this just occurred to me right now. I like how The Downward Spiral and Pretty Hate Machine re-releases happened before With Teeth and after The Slip. It's yet another reminder why NIN is just the gift that keeps on giving, and for the right and best reasons possible. Since we got TDS re-release to play around with before With Teeth, and the PHM re-release just right after The Slip era. I also haven't been really listening to the re-releases that much at all, but I'm finally revisiting them again. I might just make it a regular habit to listen to them more than the original versions this time around.

The SACD version of TDS is still my most favorite version as of now, and I absolutely love the way PHM remastered sounded, sometimes forgetting that Get Down Make Love is just right after Ringfinger, a cover which I also love, especially knowing that it came from Queen.

Oh, and I still find it fascinating to wonder what it must've been like to have been a fan before The Downward Spiral came out, let alone the beginning from 1989-1991. (And 1988.) I have wondered though. I think there are more fans that became fans during the TDS, TF and WT eras though, and it's cool to see more fans from the newer eras as well. But that's my only regret, as far as not catching NIN from the start, or at lest before TDS, even though it was out of my control, and I was just far too young anyway.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 11-30-2018 at 04:11 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    The Fragile was my first favorite Nine Inch Nails album of all time. Even though I sometimes listen to other albums more than The Fragile, I remember listening to The Fragile the most on repeat. As much as I was blown away by Pretty Hate Machine, Broken and The Downward Spiral, it was The Fragile that sealed the deal for me as far as my introduction to Nine Inch Nails went, and just getting hooked. It just gave me the most interest and excitement at the time.

Perhaps it was also because it was a double album, which also increased the appeal to me, and just how pleasantly surprised I was, along with the album art itself, which I still love. I know I've said this before, but I think this is why I can finally say that I actually rank The Fragile above The Downward Spiral, but just by a hair. I flip on both albums on a regular basis most of the time anyway, but The Fragile is the album is still love the most and relate to the most so far, ever since becoming a fan.

Oh, and speaking of album art again, it was a nice surprise to see Trent Reznor on Pretty Hate Machine and With Teeth. (This was when I was just learning that Trent Reznor normally doesn't put pictures of himself on any album art whatsoever, based on my experience as a new fan back in 2002-2005.)

With all that being said, I'm just thankful that NIN has provided me not only quality music and videos, but has also given me music that helps me deal with life itself, as well as music to just have fun with. I have and will continued to support NIN, since it's always in exchange for all of those hours, days, months and years of entertainment and coping/relating to his works.

I also can't believe that I forgot to mention this for quite some time.

The pauses in The Fragile and All The Love In The World are among my favorite moments on The Fragile and With Teeth. My mind just instantly tries to fill in the blanks when I hear those moments.

The Fragile: If I could fix myself I'd- But it's too late for me.

I always guessed that the following word might've been try.

All That Love In The World: I've become a million miles- Sometimes I get so lonely I could-

Why do you get all the love in the world?

And in this case, I'd obviously guess the words away and die, and maybe even cry.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 11-30-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    After an awesome "NIN-weekend" i started to remember when i first got into the band back in 95'

I remember becoming obsesed after listening to "Closer" on MTV and i started to look for "The Downward Spiral" CD.

At the time there was no internet and record stores carried very few copies, so i had no idea what the album cover looked like.
    I remember watching a TV show and they mentioned the album and i remember a VERY different cover for TDS with a snail shell art pretty similar to the "Closer to God" single (Halo 9)
    Anyway i eventually got the album but i never found that cover, maybe was just my imagination? i know memories can be inaccurate and i do know that cover doesn't exist, but is funny how real it's to me.

Anyway just wanted to share...

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I am listening to screamingslave's recording of 2018-10-13 and I still *sniff* don't *sniff* understand *sniffle* why *crying gasp* they didn't come to Toronto they always at least come to Toronto and I hate you America I hate you your country is stupid and your lower-right state looks like a penis and it's dumb and at-at least we have good maple syrup and-and it's-and it's not fair they didn't come it's not fair it's no-ho-ooooottt

*stomping foot, running off crying with arms at sides, comedically flailing around at the elbows*

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    Oh, and I still find it fascinating to wonder what it must've been liked to have been a fan before The Downward Spiral came out, let alone the beginning from 1989-1991. (And 1988.) I have wondered though. I think there are more fans that became fans during the TDS, TF and WT eras though, and it's cool to see more fans from the newer eras as well. But that's my only regret, as far as not catching NIN from the start, or at lest before TDS, even though it was out of my control, and I was just far too young anyway.
    Maybe not what you mean by "fan" but I've got a couple of stories and would also like to hear others out there. I had just turned 15 when PHM came out. I didn't own it but my sister and my best friend at the time both did. I listened to it first with my friend (back in the days Trent talks about sometimes when it was cool to sit around and listen to actual records because there was nothing on TV and music didn't always travel well). I remember that I thought Trent had a lot of talent and potential and hoped that he'd release more music. I was (and still am, if I dare to confess this on a NIN fansite) more into The Cure than NIN or anything so didn't end up buying TDS myself until The Crow soundtrack came out. Then I liked it enough (not to mention the really fucking cute dude in my poetry class was a fan ) that I ended up backtracking and getting the EPs. I missed the Fragile when first released but ran into WT shortly after the release and been keeping an eye open for new NIN since then.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I found this fun NIN quiz on Sporcle. See if you can guess each NIN song when it's compressed into a 8-second clip. I did great on the first half, but there are some pretty obscure ones thrown in.
    https://www.sporcle.com/games/machot...gettingsmaller

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Rice View Post
    I found this fun NIN quiz on Sporcle. See if you can guess each NIN song when it's compressed into a 8-second clip. I did great on the first half, but there are some pretty obscure ones thrown in.
    https://www.sporcle.com/games/machot...gettingsmaller
    20/32

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    2013 live version of Sanctified is such a g-damn banger! So happy I saw it live in Chicago (Night 3) this year. PHM is so fun in general, I forget that sometimes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I remember the first time I heard NIN was when I was with my boyfriend and he let me borrow his ipod for a bus ride home. This was 2012. All he had on there was NIN, some 80s pop, and movie soundtracks. I was extremely religious at the time, so I thought oh cool, 'closer to God' what's this? It was not what I was expecting at all, I was so confused at how misleading the title was.
    But I enjoyed what I felt was chaos in the song and kept listening. I liked NIN from that point on, but just as another band added to my collection of bands I listen too.

I didnt really truly get into NIN until recently with the EP trilogy. I feel sad writing that, because my boyfriend (now husband) stayed a hardcore fan and would give me information regarding NIN anytime there was news to be had. He would get excited, and I'd be 'cool'. Hes already told me that his ideal dream closet of shirts is just NIN shirts and some nice dress up shirts. When Hesitation Marks came out, we listened to that on repeat for hours and hours over the span of months. It got to where I needed a break from NIN because of it.

It's crazy how I am telling him news before he knows about it now, and buying stuff before he knew it was even out. (Orange Halloween vinyl for ex.) I'm in the stages of relistening to everything and finding little details I never caught before. Enjoying lyrics and listening to the same things over and over. Even though my husband introduced me to it, I feel as if I've come up with my own reasons to love this band that are completely different from his. We'll discuss, and have different viewpoints on certain songs but say things that the other never took into consideration when listening.

All he said when I told him I think NIN is my favorite band is "I dont understand what took you so long."

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    NIN should put out another rock album. I wonder if TR is still intimidated by the idea of trying to put out an album.

I'm a fan of TRs structure, rhythm, and use of guitar when he writes "rock" songs.

Last edited by snaapz; 11-27-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm happy that the trilogy was released in 3 separate parts, if TR/AR released all 16 songs at the same time it would be just too much. I loved the time in between NTAE and AV and AV and BW when we were all wondering what the hell the next EP would sound like.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andallthatcouldhavebeen View Post
    I remember the first time I heard NIN was when I was with my boyfriend and he let me borrow his ipod for a bus ride home. This was 2012.
    Let me just say that it’s awesome to hear stories about people discovering NIN more recently. Getting into them in 1995, I can’t imagine what it would even be like experiencing them in a different era. I think that’s really cool though. I often wonder what it was like for the people there at the beginning too. I can’t relate to that either.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Let me just say that it’s awesome to hear stories about people discovering NIN more recently. Getting into them in 1995, I can’t imagine what it would even be like experiencing them in a different era. I think that’s really cool though. I often wonder what it was like for the people there at the beginning too. I can’t relate to that either.
    I wish I had gotten into them sooner! I am just happy that by the time I truly got into them, I had such a huge catalog available to go through. You did a lot of waiting for new releases that I haven't had to do.
    Also, as a side note, I was born in 95. I often wish I had been born sooner because music seemed so much greater back then, and even just the music listening experience seemed more... magical? Can I have nostalgia for something I've never experienced?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    It was a really magical time and we didn’t know it then because we were all too angsty to realize, lol. MTV was in its golden age, where music videos were these big budget short films, bands like NIN were actually becoming household names. For like five years it was magic.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    It was the allure of the Closer video on MTV back in the day that initially piqued my interest.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    It was the allure of the Closer video on MTV back in the day that initially piqued my interest.
    Same here! Specifically, it was the <10 second clip of the video in the "Buzz Bin" promos. I believe the excerpt focused on "help me...", but now I'm headed to YouTube to see if I can verify.

For those of you wishing you were born earlier in NIN's run, I can sympathize, but only to a point. I found the wait for The Fragile to be excruciating, probably because the 5.5 years it took was 30% of my life to that point. While objectively longer, the wait for With Teeth raced by (thank you, college life distractions).

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I have such clear memories of The Fragile coming out and buying it at Sam Goody. I wouldn’t give up being a teenager in the mid to late 90s for anything, although I’m sure most people feel that way.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I always liked NIN, but it was their performance of "The Fragile" on the MTV Video Music Awards that made me a super fan. Watching that live was so cool.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellyrific View Post
    I have such clear memories of The Fragile coming out and buying it at Sam Goody. I wouldn’t give up being a teenager in the mid to late 90s for anything, although I’m sure most people feel that way.
    Did you ask your parents to take out a second mortgage so you could afford to get it from Sam Goody or did you just sell drugs for a few years to save up enough?