Page 499 of 528 FirstFirst ... 399 449 489 497 498 499 500 501 509 ... LastLast
Results 14,941 to 14,970 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I have been giving in to nostalgia recently... So I decided to search for the first NIN show (and sadly, the only one so far) I attended and I just find out that ALL the songs from that night are avaliable to download in the NIN Live Archive. I remeber searching this same show some years ago but I couldn't find any good videos, and even less all the setlist in a decent quality. Bruh... I cannot describe the mix of nostalgia and excitment that I feel hearing the recording of a show in which I was screaming my lungs out (and might have shed some tears too) seven years ago...

Anyways, just wanted to say that I love this community, and the devotion some fans put to preserve such things as an archive of live shows. All because we love the this music. <3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    Yeah. It's probably the most well known NIN song of the 21st century though, so it makes sense that they chose that one.
    But somehow, they are talking about an early demo version from it made in 2000. *smh*, these lists really...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    I have been giving in to nostalgia recently... So I decided to search for the first NIN show (and sadly, the only one so far) I attended and I just find out that ALL the songs from that night are avaliable to download in the NIN Live Archive. I remeber searching this same show some years ago but I couldn't find any good videos, and even less all the setlist in a decent quality. Bruh... I cannot describe the mix of nostalgia and excitment that I feel hearing the recording of a show in which I was screaming my lungs out (and might have shed some tears too) seven years ago...

Anyways, just wanted to say that I love this community, and the devotion some fans put to preserve such things as an archive of live shows. All because we love the this music. <3
    Did the same a few years ago, went looking for the setlist and wound up with a solid taping for all but 2 of my shows.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    In for one, thanks for the link!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    'Supernaut' gets a repress, includes TR's vocal take:

https://ministryband.bandcamp.com/al...-djs-supernaut
    Good looking out! Just grabbed one.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Missed the bandcamp release but got the CD and Vinyl on Amazon. If you don't want me to support corpo then make more available on the indi sites.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    I'm not sure which version is on what release, but IMO it was always super easy to tell Trent from Al on Supernaut.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    So... I have the the 1991 1000 Homo DJ's vinyl release and the WaxTrax BlackBox compilation... they sound the same to me (but the '91 vinyl is much, much louder/punchier than the '94 CD).

I might guess that the Al only vocals is sourced from the 2001 Greatest Hits collection... because that does sound different to me.

As I understood the story, so... Trent and Al are fucking around with 1000 Homo DJ's to kill some time (and laying the foundations for what would become Broken) while at the same time, TVT was forbidding Trent from releasing stuff. So professionally, they (Trent and Al) decided to just straight up lie about who did the vocals when they released it initially, saying it was Als when in reality it was Trents (and a careful listening, I think, reveals that quite clearly) to avoid any legal issues with TVT. Not much of a mystery beyond that and Al re-editing/recording it for the 2001 Greatest Fits to help keep the rights in his hands.
    Last edited by MrLobster; 05-19-2021 at 07:58 AM.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Ministry's Trax Box box set has both versions so you can easily compare the two.
    CD6 (which mirrors earlier compilation Side Trax) has Al's vocals. Supposedly it's the version from Supernaut EP
    CD7 (labeled 'Rarities') has Trent's version from Black Box

As soon as they reach 'and touch the sky...' line, you can tell the difference as they bend the high notes in different ways

Greatest Fits version is undoubtedly Al, but it's hard to say if it's the same vocal take (I think it is), or rerecorded one, because the whole track was remixed to sound more like 90s Ministry

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Not going to pretend I have even the slightest clue about NFTs, but here is a 3D Trent one.
    FUCK NFT'S RIGHT OFF THIS PLANET. (I feel better now)

Uses more energy than bitcoin mining and you don't get ownership in any sort of traditional sense... but, here, have a URL you can use to look at the non-thing.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I have audio recordings (and a VHS video of my first show on the Fragility v2.0 tour) of every NIN show I've attended so far, which is only 9 shows (soon to be 12 after Riot Fest and Cleveland!), but still very cool to have them all documented. I got one or two of them from torrent sites like Demonoid or The Pirate Bay, but most have come from NIN Live Archive, which is such an amazing resource for fans.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    FUCK NFT'S RIGHT OFF THIS PLANET. (I feel better now)

Uses more energy than bitcoin mining and you don't get ownership in any sort of traditional sense... but, here, have a URL you can use to look at the non-thing.
    What, you don't want a blurry image of Trent getting a prostate exam for $40,000?

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    I hope this new NIN record is fucking amazing.
    I've had a hard time getting into records in general, the older i get.

Those of you in your twenties and early thirties, just wait.

It's not that the MUSIC is bad. Rather, it's gotta be INTENSE, in some way, to shake things up.

The trilogy did that, but not quite enough. I need more.

And don't tell me "it did too!" if you're under 37.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Not going to pretend I have even the slightest clue about NFTs, but here is a 3D Trent one.

Shame on Steve Rose. This is soulless.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The slave thinks he is released from bondage only to find a stronger Blockchain...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I hope this new NIN record is fucking amazing.
    I've had a hard time getting into records in general, the older i get.

Those of you in your twenties and early thirties, just wait.

It's not that the MUSIC is bad. Rather, it's gotta be INTENSE, in some way, to shake things up.

The trilogy did that, but not quite enough. I need more.

And don't tell me "it did too!" if you're under 37.
    I'm in my 40's, and I have to say that nothing has really changed since we were growing up. The best music is mostly a little underground, you have to look for it, but there is still SO much being made. Honestly, my biggest problem is not having enough time to listen to all the fantastic music I am finding.
    Here's a list of what artists make me excited that has come out in the past few years...

Alessandro Cortini
    Chino Amobi
    Colin Stetson
    Dry Cleaning
    Empress Han
    Hainbach
    Health
    Moor Mother
    Mogwai
    Negative Scanner
    Pan Daijing
    Radiohead
    Run The Jewels
    S U R V I V E
    Saul Williams
    Thao and the Get Down Stay Down
    Tool

There is SO much amazing music happening. Really innovative stuff that's not just a derivative retread. I think we have a bias towards the stuff we grew up with, which is fine, but there is music still being made by artists young and old that is just as amazing as anything we came up with.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I'm in my 40's, and I have to say that nothing has really changed since we were growing up. The best music is mostly a little underground, you have to look for it, but there is still SO much being made. Honestly, my biggest problem is not having enough time to listen to all the fantastic music I am finding...
    YOU are a statistical anomaly. I envy that it's like that for you.

Here is a list of music that's excited ME enough to get the album in the past few years, that weren't new records by bands I already liked.

100 Gecs
    Ghostemane
    Chance the Rapper

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Honestly, my biggest problem is not having enough time to listen to all the fantastic music I am finding.
    100% THIS
    And I'm not even looking for any new music anymore at this point. I already have massive backlog of bands with ridiculously huge discographies that I've yet to dive into. Same with books and movies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm in my 40's, and I have to say that nothing has really changed since we were growing up. The best music is mostly a little underground, you have to look for it, but there is still SO much being made. Honestly, my biggest problem is not having enough time to listen to all the fantastic music I am finding.
    Here's a list of what artists make me excited that has come out in the past few years...

Alessandro Cortini
    Chino Amobi
    Colin Stetson
    Dry Cleaning
    Empress Han
    Hainbach
    Health
    Moor Mother
    Mogwai
    Negative Scanner
    Pan Daijing
    Radiohead
    Run The Jewels
    S U R V I V E
    Saul Williams
    Thao and the Get Down Stay Down
    Tool

There is SO much amazing music happening. Really innovative stuff that's not just a derivative retread. I think we have a bias towards the stuff we grew up with, which is fine, but there is music still being made by artists young and old that is just as amazing as anything we came up with.
    Yeah Im turning 40 next week and (maybe it’s just because I did some music promotion pre-end-times) that I also feel like I still discover a lot of new music. My list is more like:

garbageface
    Femur
    Dopethrone
    The Faps
    Cross Dog
    Angry Spells
    Werewolves
    Royal Blood
    Gym Tonic
    Fucked Up (I know theyve been around for years, but its the new album that did it for me)
    and even some poppier things like St Vincent and Kesha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So I got a new (used) car a week or so ago and after some messing around with the equalizer it's passed the NIN music test. At first all the songs sounded really tinny, but after I adjusted the bass I was like, "I can keep this car" lol. The remixed/remastered PHM sounds especially great.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    The Background World - maybe this has been brought up before, but the Background World HAS to be referencing The Disintegration Loops. If you haven't listened to it, check it out. It is very powerful and the story about its creation is very interesting too.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I've owned the TDS and WT dual discs since they came out, but for whatever reason I've never actually listened to the surround mixes. Today I upgraded my rear speakers and decided to finally checkout TDS in 5.1 and holy shit this is crazy! Feels like I'm listening to a completely different album. Can't wait to check out WT next!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I wonder now that Apple Music is doing Dolby Atmos if they're going to go back and "upgrade" those mixes, too.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I wonder now that Apple Music is doing Dolby Atmos if they're going to go back and "upgrade" those mixes, too.
    I hope not. Not because I wouldn't love to hear them, but because I don't want to feel compelled to upgrade my 5.1 system to Atmos!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Is Trent still employed there? Might be an impetus to get that 5.1 Fragile out there.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I imagine that Trent doesn't have the patience to deal with someone like Stern these days (if he ever did). Stern is always talking over his guests and trying to goad them into talking shit about other people. The recent podcast episode he did was a perfect setting for him to actually provide some insight and get introspective, and it was incredibly refreshing to get to hear him speak so candidly. There's no way in hell something like that would happen on Stern. He might as well be a gossip magazine.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    TR hasn't been with Apple for a few years now.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Yeah, I wasn't implying he had a specific employee / employer type incentive to do it, just that as a format Atmos music is becoming more widespread — as of next month, three of the top streaming platforms (Apple, Tidal, and Amazon) will support it, and rumour is that Spotify will be adding it in the next few months, too. #DolbyAtmos2021

They've mentioned doing The Fragile in Atmos next, and The Social Network is already out in that format on Amazon Music, so it seems logical to keep the ball rolling (after they finish the Definitive Edition vinyl reissues, naturally). I could see a "hooray, we finally completed the DE rollout!" day where they simultaneously drop the DE remasters of Broken, The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, With Teeth, and as-yet-unreleased And All That Could Have Been: Live & Still and Year Zero remasters on streaming, at the same time as new Atmos mixes.
    Last edited by botley; 05-22-2021 at 07:53 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Marc Maron is pretty great. I'd listen to that. But fillow is probably right about there not being an opportunity for a lot of new stories to be told.

My sense after all of these years is that Trent Reznor is an extremely private person who prefers not to reveal a lot about his personal life outside of his lyrics. The best we are going to get is to hear about the creative process and that was happening a lot in this recent podcast.
    I like Maron's podcast, and the intersection of addiction/recovery as it applies to the creative process is something they could talk about in more depth. But yeah, TR's covered that, and covered it again. Would perhaps be more interesting to hear Maron speak to both Trent & Atticus at once, in person, as I think he could get a few novel stories but also respect his guests' boundaries (unlike Stern, who tends to deliberately walk all over them for a cheap laugh). However, Maron also interviewed Brian Warner a few years back, who implied he had 'patched things up' with Reznor (though Warner was clearly drunk throughout the interview), so maybe that's a sticking point.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, all of it is coming “soon”.