Page 195 of 528 FirstFirst ... 95 145 185 193 194 195 196 197 205 245 295 ... LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,850 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Not sure where to post this...

Process: Nine Inch Nails (1/3) - Effects In The Studio
    In the debut of Process, a new video series by Soundtoys, Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails talked to us about their creative process and the ways they use Soundtoys plug-ins Echoboy and Decapitator on their latest album, Hesitation Marks.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Bleed Through was the original title for what became With Teeth.
    I had read in multiple places that it was supposed to be a follow up to With Teeth. Trent even talked about it in SPIN magazine.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Prowler View Post
    I had read in multiple places that it was supposed to be a follow up to With Teeth. Trent even talked about it in SPIN magazine.
    http://www.ninwiki.com/With_Teeth_(halo)#Bleedthrough

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I stand corrected. I guess I'll have to go back and reread those interviews.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Prowler View Post
    I stand corrected. I guess I'll have to go back and reread those interviews.
    Trent once promised a deluxe version of With Teeth, with a long essay explaining the concept and creation of the album, and we never got it and got Year Zero instead, maybe that's what you actually remember from those interviews? http://www.theninhotline.net/archive...cle.php?id=116

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edo View Post
    Trent once promised a deluxe version of With Teeth, with a long essay explaining the concept and creation of the album, and we never got it and got Year Zero instead, maybe that's what you actually remember from those interviews? http://www.theninhotline.net/archive...cle.php?id=116
    That is a distinct possibility. I remember reading the aforementioned SPIN interview with him talking about With Teeth and Bleed Through, but it's been so long since I've read it that I guess I got the specifics. A lot's happened since 2004.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I do think early on Trent would mention that With Teeth was part one of a two part album, didn't he? Not to the level that he did with Year Zero mind you, but I definitely think he intended to continue the concept before stumbling upon the (better?) YZ concept.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    I do think early on Trent would mention that With Teeth was part one of a two part album, didn't he? Not to the level that he did with Year Zero mind you, but I definitely think he intended to continue the concept before stumbling upon the (better?) YZ concept.
    Some people have speculated that some of the unused concepts and thought processes from WT were used in YZ (part of why Trent wrote the album while touring for WT perhaps). THTF is an obvious connection, and some people think that the The Warning on the lyric poster later became the The Warning on YZ. There's also been speculation that the "transforming package" and "essay" were re-worked for YZ's package and story.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

"What do you do when you buy a record now? I either download it or, more likely, I'll immediately put the CDs I buy in my iPod and then I lose them. Artwork is disposable now. I liked albums. It was an exploratory process. I don't see that with CDs. They're junk. It feels like we should just by-pass packaging all together. If you want to, you'll be able to buy a real deluxe book that the record fits into. It's a super nice thing that will have a big essay from me and a lot of pictures. It's more of a presentation and the artwork that you have now, that maybe you didn't quite understand, you'll see how it all fits into this. You'll get it."[3]

So, what about the artwork didn't we "get" back then? I'm interested to know. It sounds similar to the red strands of things connecting artwork together on The Slip that we still don't really get.

Or is he just referring to his emo haircut picture inside the packaging that we all didn't get?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    So, what about the artwork didn't we "get" back then? I'm interested to know. It sounds similar to the red strands of things connecting artwork together on The Slip that we still don't really get.
    Veering off-topic, but I'd love some kind of essay from Rob/Trent about TS' art

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Veering off-topic, but I'd love some kind of essay from Rob/Trent about TS' art
    Me too, and the relevance of the AIR lag for Letting You.

I've always liked how mysterious it all is with the red lines eventually getting chaotic and culminating with Demon Seed.

Also veering off topic, what was with those two squares overlapping each other that appeared on the Wave Goodbye merch and on the shirts Trent and co wore at the time? What were they meant to signify or resemble?
    Last edited by Ryan; 12-12-2014 at 09:12 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I thought the AIR flag was meant to be a sign it was an outtake from YZ. Though I still think TS' concept is that of a live show performance

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    @sheepdean Did those sweaty interviews with Atticus posted
    in NIN Spotting turn you on? lol

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I thought the AIR flag was meant to be a sign it was an outtake from YZ. Though I still think TS' concept is that of a live show performance
    It definitely fits lyrically. I could see it as track 3 between TITB and survivalism.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    And the fact that positioned that way, it makes a LY (Letting You) :

Rob's works was stellar on that album.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Beardy interview:

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Actually funny story....when my friend who lives in Florida went to see NIN live, he wore a shirt that had the strobe light trent on, and Alessandro kept looking at him several time, and right before they played hurt, Alessandro tossed one of the Hurt tape sample to him

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    Actually funny story....when my friend who lives in Florida went to see NIN live, he wore a shirt that had the strobe light trent on, and Alessandro kept looking at him several time, and right before they played hurt, Alessandro tossed one of the Hurt tape sample to him
    I don't know why but it makes me so happy knowing I wasn't the only person wearing a Strobe Light shirt at one of those shows! That was this year, right?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    yeah it was

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    And the fact that positioned that way, it makes a LY (Letting You) :

Rob's works was stellar on that album.
    Wow, well observed!

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Whenever I take the time to consider and observe just how I barely have anybody to discuss Nine Inch Nails with in real life, it still amazes and reminds me how immensely Echoing the Sound makes up for it, as I also enjoy reading conversations about NIN. Aside from being a huge fan, I suppose that's what drew me to the NIN section a lot more than I've ever expected. There actually have been some people in real life I was able to have conversations about NIN with, but they're often few and far between. It also seems like my entire family hasn't even heard of NIN too. (Or just most of them for that matter.)

I suppose promoting ETS and The NIN Hotline whenever I get the chance to discuss NIN just adds to the fun being a huge fan, and it's also exactly why it still sort of feels like an extra bonus thing for me to do as a fan.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-16-2014 at 11:12 AM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Out of all the random NIN thoughts, I kept forgetting to post this for some reason, as I've always thought of it ever since I've heard the live version of Copy Of A.

@The_Prowler - I also thought that you'd like to know this, since you've brought up his music being about survival.

At the few seconds after Trent sings, "Always my intention, my intention, your attention. Just doing everything you tell me to." the drumming in a few seconds afterwards had me think of it as heartbeat, as if to say, "I've overcome this. I have survived. This is how far I've gone. I shall continue to live on in spite off all the odds stacked up against me, including myself." I tend to think that whenever I hear that part of Copy Of A live.

It's around the 4:43-4:47 mark of this video of Copy Of A.

And as far as Hesitation Marks songs go live, I just love them. And speaking of which, as far as albums go, With Teeth and Hesitation Marks seem to have the most of my favorite songs to also hear live whenever it comes to his works beyond The Fragile. I guess this also isn't much for the fans that have seen NIN a lot live, but since I don't go to concerts that much, I'd actually like a setlist with more songs from those albums when it comes to more recent NIN.

Come to think of it, a set-list chock full of songs from Pretty Hate Machine, The Downward Spiral, With Teeth and Hesitation Marks would be just swell to me. (And maybe a little Broken and Year Zero here and there too.) And well, one random thought just lead to another, I suppose.

I'll also try to see what I can come up with in the dream set-list thread now that I've narrowed it down by the albums. I'd also probably leave some songs from The Fragile in the encore too.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-12-2014 at 10:49 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Out of all the random NIN thoughts, I kept forgetting to post this for some reason, as I've always thought of it ever since I've heard the live version of Copy Of A.

@The_Prowler - I also thought that you'd like to know this, since you've brought up his music being about survival.

At the few seconds after Trent sings, "Always my intention, my intention, your attention. Just doing everything you tell me to." the drumming in a few seconds afterwards had me think of it as heartbeat, as if to say, "I've overcome this. I have survived. This is how far I've gone. I shall continue to live on in spite off all the odds stacked up against me, including myself." I tend to think that whenever I hear that part of Copy Of A live.

It's around the 4:43-4:47 mark of this video of Copy Of A.

And as far as Hesitation Marks songs go live, I just love them. And speaking of which, as far as albums go, With Teeth and Hesitation Marks seem to have the most of my favorite songs to also hear live whenever it comes to his works beyond The Fragile. I guess this also isn't much for the fans that have seen NIN a lot live, but since I don't go to concerts that much, I'd actually like a setlist with more songs from those albums when it comes to more recent NIN.

Come to think of it, a set-list chock full of songs from Pretty Hate Machine, The Downward Spiral, With Teeth and Hesitation Marks would be just swell to me. (And maybe a little Broken and Year Zero here and there too.) And well, one random thought just lead to another, I suppose.

I'll also try to see what I can come up with in the dream set-list thread now that I've narrowed it down by the albums. I'd also probably leave some songs from The Fragile in the encore too.
    So really what you want is a setlist like from the last two shows from the Wave Goodbye tour with some songs from Hesitation Marks in there. I have to say that I'd pay all the money to see that. Not just all my money, I mean all the money

As for your thought about the drum break in Copy Of A being Trent's heartbeat, I've never thought about it like that. That's a really interesting thought.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    lol that bass in Happiness in Slavery... I love it I somehow managed to edit a patch on my DX7 to sound incredibly close to it.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    A Nine Inch Nails and friends Christmas album!
    Indeed!

-That was my random NIN thought as soon as I saw that post, and well, I've always thought that Nine Inch Noels deserved more views.-

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I've always thought that Nine Inch Noels deserved more views.-

It's your posts that keep reminding me that exists

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I've sometimes caught TheFineBros on YouTube and I always wondered what it would be like if they had a "Teens/Elders react to Nine Inch Nails." video.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheFineBros

As an example of what I'm referring to, for those of you that have never heard of those videos of TheFineBros, I thought that their "Teens react to Nirvana." video would be a perfect example of what I'm talking about, just with Nine Inch Nails instead. They also had an "Elders react to Eminem." video too.

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-15-2014 at 11:55 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    The version of La Mer on AATCHB is one of the greatest things Trent has ever done. There's alot of good things he has done, but that version of La Mer is probably in my Top 5 or Top 10. Perfect.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 12-16-2014 at 08:50 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    Beardy interview:
    Miss that hair and beard.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Everything might was well be my holiday jam. It turns out that I love listening to Everything on/around Thanksgiving and Christmas.